Speaker 1: Welcome to two percent. I'm your host, Michael Lieser. So there is a lot of focus on longevity right now. Everybody wants to live longer, and if you were at all interested in longevity, you have probably heard of the Blue zones. These are places on Earth where people live well past one hundred years of age. There are Netflix series about the Blue Zones, there are books about the Blue zones, and these things all tell us exactly what we can do to live like people in the Blue zones and in theory reach past age one hundred. But there's a little problem, well a very big problem, and that's that the Blue zones might be one of the longest cons in history. That is what my guest today concluded after he dove deeply into the data and found a lot of critical airs. I'm talking to Saul Justin Newman. He studies population aging at Oxford and he is also a researcher at University College London, and he's got a new book it's called Morbid Debunking Modern Longevity Science. So he's going to talk to us about what he found about the Blue zones and what it can tell us about the new science of longevity. Saul Justin Newman, thanks for coming on the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for having me.
Speaker 1: All Right, here's where I want to start with something very basic. What are the blue zones?
Speaker 2: Blue zones were supposed to be regions of the world where people attained remarkable ages at remarkable rates, and they usually did. The remarkable age is age one hundred.
Speaker 1: And how did they start? How did this idea even began?
Speaker 2: I think the idea is how it began as a bit of a mystery, because the process was to go to an island of a European country, which is Sardinia, and say, people here may live a very long time. Let's check now why that particular island was chosen as a bit obscure, but the basic idea was someone ran a small stuff. They decided that this region of a very poor part of Italy was living an extremely long time, and they called it a blue zone. Amusingly, they also jumped straight to the conclusion of why people were living a long time in this area, And I love this because it hasn't made it into the lifestyle advice. But the original conclusion was because of all the incest. Of all the incest, Yeah, the person who had done this had gone to this island and decided that incest was causing extreme longevity in these little mountain towns.
Speaker 1: I did not hear about that when I went to the Blue Zone's website. I think that was told to eat sardines or something instead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit by design, I suspect.
Speaker 1: So then it expands, So it starts in Sardinia, and then they start tacking on places that are considered blue zones. How did that play out?
Speaker 2: It played out effectively as a sort of magazine article, not as a scientific process. We had a gentleman arrive from out of the blue and he picked up this idea of regions where people live forever, and he wrote an article, this is the third most popular article in National Geographic of all time, about these three regions where people supposedly lived past one hundred. One is in California in Low Melinda, one is in Okinawa, and the other is this Sardinian blue zone. And the idea was that if you do as the Romans do effectively and behave like they're doing these three very very different places, you too could live past age one hundred. It's a very alluring idea, and it launched a sort of lifestyle chain of products, starting with cookbooks and moving on to absolutely everything under the sun. I think they even have a cologne.
Speaker 1: Now nice and then so it has they identify these three places, and then they start adding on places. Right, there's like coast, different places. But the idea is typically they will identify something these people do, these people who are supposedly long living, and therefore that is kind of the key to living longer for you as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's a central claim that people in these places live very, very long times, and then there's these subsidiary claims that we've figured out why this happens, and there are these nine sets of behaviors that are why people in these regions live a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what are some of those behaviors?
Speaker 2: Absurdly drinking every day, which is a bit of a stretch, you know. I find it stounding that that's out of number one, especially because Low Melender is a tea total place. But the others, you know, they fit neatly into preconceived ideas of what we think is healthy. There is so gentle exercise is probably the most sensible, and then there are these vaguely defined sort of feel good sounding concepts like being the right tribe or connects with your neighbors or hang out with loved ones. You know, stuff that you want to do anyway, and it's very easily marketable.
Speaker 1: To your point on the marketing, why do you think this idea took off so well? Was it just like a brilliant packaging around basic advice with something science and sounding about people all living older precisely?
Speaker 2: And it's not just that it's a proven market strategy going back to I mean, going back to the first Emperor of China. I mean it's not a new sales pitch to say that, oh, I have the secret to living forever, and you just follow my advice, pay me my money, and I'll get you there. Now, the beauty of that is, first, if people don't live forever, they can't complain because they're dead, so your customer complaints division has very little to do. But also it's something that everybody wants to hear, right especially now we know what contributes to longevity, and it's going to see a doctor. It's exercise, don't drink, don't smoke right now. If you don't want to do that, then you are wide open for sales pitches, right, really wide open, and it's really kind of an easy win to even just imagine that there's a pill that will make you live longer. But even if the placebos, it's an appealing idea. It's sort of, you know, here's my anxiety reduction process for the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and especially if you like to drink. You see that and you go, I like this blue zones idea. They drink. I'm going to drink too. That's great.
Speaker 2: Exactly the pitch to California Wine Months, like they specifically say what kind of wine you should try? Right, it's you know, go and get Sardinian kanna now wine like why, you know, who knows? But this is a very easy sell. And yeah, it's it's also backing up off a sales pitch that was around in the seventies that was essentially exactly the same. You know, in the seventies there was something called longevity zones pitched in the same magazine, pitched in National Geographic by a professor of medicine Harvard called Alexander Leff. Now let's just say these haven't exactly held up. You know, one is in the Hansa Valley of Pakistan, We've got a one in a place called Viilka Bamba and Ecuador, and we've got another in Soviet ab Kazia, Georgia. Now these aren't centers of longevity. And the short answer to why these places looked on paper, why like people living past one hundred, was that they were just committing pension fraud or they had just simply no idea how old they were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's get into that. So how did you start to become skeptical of this idea? How did that tell us that whole story of how unfolded and how you ended up writing about this.
Speaker 2: I began just with a friend sending me a scientific paper because I'm a huge note it's unapologetic at this point. And I finished in medical science doctorate and a friend of mine had sent me a paper saying, you know, you're interested in how long people live. His paper, the paper involved was in the top scientific journal in the world, and it involved someone accidentally rounding off most of their data to zero by accident and then publishing the results. And that's I mean, that's a shocking thing to do, and it got me interesting. It's a huge problem if you use the correct column in the spreadsheet. The whole thing fell apart and you reached the opposite conclusion. But the conclusion was about how long it is possible to live? You know, what is the limit to human life? So it's a really compelling question, how long is it possible for me to live? How long? And the fact that this debate was being undertaken with such terrible evidence was amazing to me. And it became more amazing when the other top journal in the scientific journal in the world published papers stating exactly the opposite conclusion to the first paper, and that was based on something even worse. So what these people had done is they'd taken every one hundred and five year old or record of one hundred and five year old in Italy and they had fit a model to it. But it was the most biased mathematical model possible. It was the only one that gave them a publishable result. And so here you have two halves of an academic debate. Neither of them are remotely close to following the rules or having any integrity. And it dragged me in against my will, into this question of how long is it possible to live? Do this start or even make any sense?
Speaker 1: How did that get you the blue zones? Eventually you start kind of stripping away at this question. You're kind of like a thorn in the side of these researchers. And then what happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean more than a thorn. It's it's a massive embarrassment to have to retract something from these from these papers, and that's exactly what these groups should do. But I was sitting on a bus and came up with theoretical idea. It's a very non intuitive theoretical idea because usually in science get you get measurement error. You know what happens. It happens for the Hubble space telescope, and happens for the particle colliders in Switzerland. You always get measurement error, and usually you can ignore it. You can just say, look, who cares, there's a small amount of random error. It washes out in the statistical model. Well, I found out that mathematically, in a survival process, that's not true, and you get this very non intuitive result where the number of errors grows exponentially over age. So by the time you reach these advanced ages, you theoretically expect all of them to be trash. Just it's much easier to be an error in paperwork than someone who has outlived the rest of humanity, way easier. And this is especially the case because a quarter of the world's children still don't get a birth certificate. So if you go back one hundred years when these people were supposedly born, has any paperwork, It gets made up at some point between then and now, and if you make a mistake in that process, you end up being one hundred and five. And that's effectively what these old age hair records are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there airs in the record keeping. So to walk us through, especially with the blue zone, what are some of the errors you've found in these supposed people who are living past one hundred and five?
Speaker 2: Well, the Oknawen one was extraordinary because I didn't find this. The Japanese government found out that most of the people in Japan who were over age one hundred, I mean more than eighty two percent were dead. They were long dead, so most of them been killed in World War Two. And the remarkable thing is in Japan you have this sort of self registration of who has died in your household, and if an American plane puts a bomb through the household, who reports all the deaths, nobody does right, and you're keep living on paper. Right. So there was this amazing finding in Okinawa that if your town had been firebombed, you could predict around eighty percent of the variation in people reaching one hundred. So if your town's been firebombed, everyone reaches one hundred.
Speaker 1: Right, because they died in nineteen forty four, exactly.
Speaker 2: The real secret to longevity, right. And the same goes with fire bombing cities where all the records are kept. So the Japanese government had gone out to effectively have a celebration of old people in Tokyo, and they'd gone looking for the worlds for the oldest man in Tokyo. And this bizarre process has played out where city officials come around to the house. They talked to the grand daughter, and the granddaughter says, he's out of Gifu Prefectory. He's gone for the day, and Guefoo Prefecture is four hundredilometers away. The guys one hundred and eleven, So it's a bit of a stretch.
Speaker 1: It's one hundred and five year old guy just taking a little jount.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred and eleven. One hundred and eleven year old guy apparently he's taken a job, and when they come back, she's like, oh, he's out again, Like I guess if he's down at the girlfriend's or something. So this keeps happening until they get a bit concerned and the grand daughter turns up to the police station and says, oh, we've had a terrible thing going on. The granddad has barricaded himself into his room and is fighting off the entire family, which again for one hundred and eleven year old, is quite the feet right, yeah, a strong guy with a strong guy. When the police turn up, he's in the room and he's been in the room for thirty years dead and they have been collecting the pension the entire time and living in living in the house like the whole extended family. And there's another guy in the backpack at the end of the bed. Now that's this is surprisingly normal for one hundred and five year olds have That actually happens all the time.
Speaker 1: So people are effectively saying that their relatives, who in this case died thirty years ago are alive on paper, because that way you can keep cash and grandpa's checks from the government pension checks exactly.
Speaker 2: They had cashed out roughly one hundred grand in his pension the day that the city officials had come around. Right, So there's a big withdrawal. That's normal. But then they go looking for everyone else who is very old, because they discovered the oldest woman in Tokyo hasn't been seen since nineteen eighty six. And they go around all of Japan. Now they check ninety two percent of cases and they find that eighty two percent of them are dead. Now that's over two hundred and thirty thousand people who are dead in reality and alive on paper. And this is data that the Blue Zones demographers had just said was the best in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, practically this plays out for the listener. You hear some advice from Blue Zones that there's these so many people over one hundred five in Japan, and therefore you should eat the food they eat, you should do this thing they do. But it turns out they've all died in the eighties.
Speaker 2: They've all died in the eighties. And not only have they all died in or in the forties, not only have they all died but you know, this is supposed to be based on interviews with two hundred and sixty odd centenarians. Now those have never been published. And if I had the secret to eternal life and it was in a few interviews, I would publish those interviews. Yeah, and this is much more a sort of oh, trust me, bro, these interviews say what to eat? Where's the data? Because the Japanese government is saying eighty two percent of these people at least are dead. And this happens in every blue zone. I looked at the Greek blue zone, right, they had a really similar process play out. They had more than nine thousand centenarians on paper. The global financial crisis comes along and the effectively the Greek government first do a review find roughly two hundred three hundred errors. But the German government comes in and says, we'll not give you a penny until you really check. And it turns out at least seventy two percent of these people are collecting the pension from the graveyard. And after that, the island of Yourkorea, which is one of these blue zones, just has no centenarians.
Speaker 1: Wow. So this feels like one of those where I think if it were we looked at these numbers, we think there's a lot of people who are centenarians there. We rolled with the idea, but the fact that then there was a claim around what we talked to all of them, but then they never published the interviews. That's where it starts to feel a little more sketchy to me.
Speaker 2: It really becomes sketchy when you look at the low Melinda.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's talk about that, because in the US, you would think we had good record keeping and things like that.
Speaker 2: The US is really surprising in this regard, right. We we sort of carry with us this idea that if something's written down officially then it actually is is probably true. But let's just ignore that for the moment and just look at Loma Linda on the face of it. Well, the CDC measures Loma Linda for longevity and it is nowhere near the best place in the US, and at least a quarter of the US and perhaps three quarters of the US has higher longevity than Loma Linda. Now that's the independent data. So when I took the independent data to the founder of the Blue Zones, I said, where is your evidence the people here live past one hundred. Now, he has admitted in The New York Times and to Science Magazine that he came up with Loma Linda because his editor asked him to, oh wow, find America's blue zone. Right, he asked him to find America's blue zone. The next day, on the drive between his house in La and Las Vegas, there's a turn at Loma Linda. And for twenty years he has marketed this as if there was the fountain of youth beneath the freeway next to the Costco.
Speaker 1: No Costco's pretty powerful man who knows it, right, and right near.
Speaker 2: The jumper juice there's the secret. Right. It's astonishing. And then the follow up claim is that, oh I forgot to delist it as a blue zone. Now again from perspective, this guy has sold part of his business to Adventist Health because there's an Adventist community on the basis of what I don't know what is the basis of this twenty years of relentless marketing. But then there's the meta problem, right, there's a deeper problem here, because this isn't a matter of you've got a bunch of people going along with a mail order scheme. I mean, in a sense it is, but you have one hundred scientific papers on this place. You have prominent scientists right at the top of the field backing it up. Now, if it's made up, why are they unable to say that it's a fantasy? See and you know you find this again in Costa Rica. The basis of finding the Costa Rican blue zone was mister but paid a Costa Rican demographer and they went out the next day and discovered a Costa Rican blue zone. Now, when the un measured that data, they said that Costa Eca was quote bottom, near the bottom of the pack in terms of late life survival. So really the question is why are our supposedly independent scientists not able to detect a twenty year fantasy? And this is one of the most popular concepts in this field. And I've had no answers to this.
Speaker 1: Why do you think this has gotten so much coverage even in science circles? Like you said, I.
Speaker 2: Think the science circles are just as susceptible to this beautiful idea that things are better far in a faraway place. Right. Most science is done by white, Western educated people, whatever that label, that sort of catch all label throw on it. And I think a lot of people those people are the target of this marketing, and they've brought into it, and now it's turned out to be bank they're hugely embarrassed. I mean there's a sort of a field wide embarrassment in the demographic community that we've sat around and just sort of believe this. Not just the first time, this is multiple times we've bought the same story and it's turned out to be bunk. So, you know, in one sense, it's just that we are susceptible to this marketing idea that shangrile Ara is there and all we have to do is go there and act like it and will be fine. It's very alluring, especially because you get to go for a holiday, beach holiday degrease. Right, it doesn't work, but we've bought it. Anyway.
Speaker 1: What do you think that says about us?
Speaker 2: I think it says we're still in this mindset of monster leone. Right. We want there to be a fountain of youth because it's easier than the tough reality of not just taking care of your health. But I get asked all the time, what's the secret to living a long time? One of the most uncomfortable answers is be born in a rich place that has free healthcare. Right now, especially in America, that's not a message you really want to hear because you can't do anything about it. I mean, one of the key problems in American health seems to be that you buy fake medicines because you can't afford real medicines. It's just a simple fundamental problem. It's not the people who mind. This is not their personal fault. There's a systemic problem here where if you have someone who can't afford their cancer ments, they will buy anything, and an industry is developed to feed that and this is part of that industry. The longevity industry is as part of this framing that we can give you a secret pill that's ten times just so it's ten times cheaper than the real stuff, unless you're pitching to billionaires. And that has really rotted out the evidence base of medicine here. I mean, it's really shockingly rotting out the evidence base of medicine. We have these laws coming in to the states that effectively throw out the hippocratic oath, and they're being pushed by longevity research. The Alliance for Longevity Initiatives is pushing this idea that we can I mean, this is now a law on the books. You can now give a person an experimental treatment of any dose for any reason, as long as you say it's to extend longevity, and if they die, you are not liable.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, it's a little alarming. Yeah, we're going to take a quick break and then we are going to talk to Saul about the fallout that happened after he released his findings into the world of longevity. So you do this paper on the blue zones, and you have this new book Morbid Debunking Modern Longevity Science, which is an amazing read. And I also have to say, I'm a writer. When I have to open books and read books by scientists, I sometimes go, Okay, this is probably going to be a little bit boring, but I'm going to learn something and I accept that. Dude, you're a really funny writer, and I loved it for that. This is an amazing read. But so the paper comes out, you got the book coming out. What happens when the paper comes out for you personally? Like, how does the how does this field react?
Speaker 2: It's incomparable the feeling of stirring up so many people all at once and having It's if I've cast out stamp collectors and every stamp collector on earth is suddenly emailing me like in old caps, you know, oh my god, how could you possibly you know, run down the field of flatly it's the torrent coming in is mixed with people from other fields. They are laughing the backsides off, basically, like I compare it to I'm a hedgehog that's accidentally wanted into a balloon factory. You know, people are losing their minds trying to get rid of me and not knowing what to do. Really, And you know, I had people emailing my boss they said you have to fire this guy, and they're like, why is he a bad plan? Scientists like, what's the problem. Some of the peripheral stuff is accidentally hilarious, right. I opened the book with a discussion of a gentleman from Moscow who has decided the world's oldest woman is a fake, which is, you know, it's fine, wants to dig up the corpse, wants me to help, and has decided to see see the Queen and Vladimir Putin and basically everybody he's ever heard of.
Speaker 1: Into this just standard every day email.
Speaker 2: Standard every day email. And I mean I have to dig it up because I found out the beauty of this is the apparently the Kremlin has to respond. So I've got to find the Kremlin response to can we players dig up the world's oldest woman's corpse which has been on the ground for twenty years, because I want to know it was Vladimir Putin's take on this obvious why not reach out? You know, this astonishing sort of Kingstone Cops approached to science. It was always deeply funny to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you pointed out and everyone gets mad. At the same time, the paper is great and you get a ton of you ge a ton of notoriety from it. I mean, it gets covered everywhere like it's a big moment because people go, oh, yeah, this this makes sense. This guy's say it is right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean that's that's the beauty of having people in parallel fields who deal with this kind of data all the time. Because in epidemiology there's a joke, you know, map is a poverty map. You know, you want to look at disease prevalence. Every map is a poverty map. But in this case, the poverty map is saying the worst of poverty, the more one hundred and five year olds, And that simple cognitive dissonance of you want to lift to one hundred and five, be dead, broke and live in the worst place possible. Is funny.
Speaker 1: So I think one of the big bear you poked is the sort of blue zone empire. Obviously. I mean, as we've talked about, it's sold to this health corporation for what was it, like seventy five million or something like that.
Speaker 2: Some insane amount of money. I mean, they are making huge amounts of money.
Speaker 1: Describing you, Dan Bututner, who's the guy who popularized the blue zones? He said the following quote. Saul Newman is a plant biologist with no academic training or expertise in demography, gerontology, or geriatrics, and has no record of publication in these fields of study. He will fully omits or misunderstands the rigorous age verification and statistical analysis involved in identifying blue zones. What is your response, I've.
Speaker 2: Been a demographer at the University of Oxford for five years. Right, he's completely made it up. And what It's amazing that there's now a scientific paper that says the same thing, and then I know of there might be it seems that there appears to be multiple and the beautiful irony here is if you're claiming to be very good at understanding people's life history and records and you can't detect that the guy at the University of Oxford at the Lever Hume Center for Demographic Science as a demographer, like, if that is beyond your powers of comprehension, what are you doing? Like? Should I trust you? No? Not as as far as I could kick you.
Speaker 1: Quick break, and then we're going to talk about why it's important to set the record straight on these topics. So let's talk more. I mean, you kind of alluded to this, but what's the harm in this data being wrong? So do you feel like you're correcting the record or is there actually harm in all this being wrong?
Speaker 2: I mean there's a temptation to still see this is okay. I'm fighting out a pub trivia and this is the way I initially saw this problem. But there's an extraordinary problem nested in this because we use this extreme old age data as hound model for the future. We have this optimistic model that things are going to get better in the future. So if we want to project what's going to happen, we need to look at the oldest people live today, because in sixty years, that'll be us. It's a great assumption, right assumption. But when people are setting your pension rates, when people are setting your life insurance, when people are planning long term for healthcare, these are the numbers they use. And you're telling trillions of dollars of investment. I had a firm with three hundred and fifty billion euros in investment. Come and talk to me, Come and ask me to talk to them. And the reason is that they are using late life mortality models based off this data to say how much you have to pay into your pension. Right, because if I start working now, I'm retiring, you know, in fifty years. And the fact that they've been using this completely you know, trash data to estimate those rates is very disturbing. I mean it's extremely disturbing. One of the people a sort of throw a pebble at in this book is responsible for validating more than fifty percent of the one hundred and five year olds in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and for the average listener, if these pension rates are assuming someone's going to die much older than they probably will, you're going to have to pay more because they're assuming you're going to live longer than you will you have to.
Speaker 2: Pay way more every single day. Every single day you'll have to pay more. Right, And so it's that it is that simple, and it's that shocking that it has its direct effect. You know, the difference between nine and ten percent going to your pension rate is decided by people in London who set the insurance rates that base their decisions off my colleagues at the University of Oxford, and governments who base their data off off United Nations estimates of the oldest people in life today. Now I haven't just published the funny paper. I've got a paper examining every one hundred year old in the world since from nineteen fifties until now, measured by the UN done to a categorically garbage. They are garbage. I mean, it's really clear. Yeah, I mean, according to the UN estimates their best estimates, the top one of the top ten countries in the world for people reaching age one hundred is also one of the bottom ten in the world for average longevity.
Speaker 1: How does that work?
Speaker 2: Good question? No one has even asked that question at the UN right, and it's not alone. You know that in the top ten is Western Sahara doesn't have a government. It's one of the ten best places in the world for people reaching age one hundred according to the UN. Malawi, which is, like I said, bottom ten Kenya, which is bottom ten. Puerto Rico makes it in. Now. Puerto Rico is a very interesting case because they had a very long running berth certificate system. But I can buy one. It's trivial to buy about Puerto Rican bersertificate. They won't fit, you know, because I don't sound very Puerto Rican if you haven't noticed. But it's around six thousand dollars. And this got so systemically bad that in twenty ten, Puerto Rico simply decided, look, we're giving up on birth certificates. Yes, we're part of the richest nation on earth. Yes the NSA is crawling up everybody's backsides through their iPhones, but we give up and we're restarting. Now. That gives you an idea of the systemic problems that are just being glossed over here, because you know, when it comes to measuring age, we only have paperwork, that's it.
Speaker 1: Do we have any sense of who the actually actual oldest living human has ever been? That we're firm on.
Speaker 2: Not the foggiest not the foggiest, not the foggiest idea. Right. I looked at the world's oldest man. Right, the world's oldest man. He has this paper validating everything. Okay, one of his birthdays was by admission, made up by his family. Right, it's a problem. Number one. Number two is the people in the scientific paper write his age down wrong and say he's born in nineteen eighty seven, nineteen eighty seven, nineteen eighty seven. It's not a high level of rigor going on. Yeah, and then he gets married to the same woman three times, apparently without being divorced.
Speaker 1: Good for him.
Speaker 2: Apparently he changes his name, but there's no record of this ever happening renewed vows. Yeah. Yeah, So like the name he's born with is different to the name he dies with, but there's no record of that name change. So it's like, Hey, I'm born Bob Jones and I'm dying Tim Horton and the wreck. It's it's just astonishingly for the holes, but nobody. Nobody cares because it's a story about a sweet old man reaching in an astonishing age. One cares.
Speaker 1: I've seen this television show it's called mad Men, Right, It's like he enters the war as Dick Whitman. Dondreper dies, so he takes his identity and that explains it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well, it's surprisingly easy to commit pension from I'm not advocating anything here, but one of the few people I have sympathy for in this story is there's a bunch of cheeky old people out there who their mom or dad dies and they just don't tell anyone, right Like, the Greeks and towns are fantastic at this. They're just like, don't ask any don't ask me. He's fine, He's just on holidays in Gifuod Prefecture, right Like. It's sort of there's this fantastic process and if you just don't tell anybody, it's not like there's a giant machine in the government that goes you know, there's not a death radar that tells you this guy's dead. So it just keeps sending the pension check every month, and it happens all the time.
Speaker 1: So so amazing. I mean, I think at an individual level, I can be like, wow, these are some creative people. I kind of admire their wit and cunningness. At a big population level, I go, that's probably not a good thing for that to happen too often.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's right. I mean, at an individual level, these people kind of lovely, like the Aggie Fenton used to get people to buy a drinks because you just go to the local pub and be like, I'm the oldest woman in the world, give me, gim me ape and be it.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. We'll take a quick break and then we'll ask Saul why Silicon Valley is so obsessed with longevity and whether any of it is legit. All right, so we talked about some of the money that Blue Zones has generated seventy five million on the deal, and then whatever all the books and all that. I mean, I was when I was in Costa Rica, there was Blue Zone sweat all over the airport. I'll say that. But I feel like the new, much more moneyed version of blue Zones is sort of happening in Silicon Valley with this tech e longevity movement, which you wrote in the book. Wrote about in the book. What's your take on all of that happening there?
Speaker 2: It's very simple. The if you're a grifter with creativity, who better the target? Right? Who better? They've bought everything else there's only one thing left, and that's this illusion that they're going to live forever. So you have these incredibly sophisticated grifts going on, and the best thing is they don't have to be any different than any historical grifts. You can just say, you know, I've got the tech based secret to living forever. You could take something that was sold to Emperor chinshi Wan, the first emperor of China. You could sell it to these guys and they would believe you one of the king. You know, sort of processes I talk about is this idea of transferring young blood into yourself. That's a way to live forever. Now that's not a new idea. Dracula is a popular old book, but it's also transparently. Obviously it doesn't work, and it has not prevented the sales. It hasn't prevented the sales pictures, It hasn't prevented this sort of the startup approach of why you just slapped a couple of leaders of children's blood into you, and of course the results are horrific. You know, where do you get children's blood? Is one of the things I deal with in the book. And the solution is not great. But I also talk about the fact that blood don't is a young recipients of blood donations are old. It already happens, like the logic just is not there. This is one of the most common, if not the most common medical procedure in the world, to give a blood transfer usion. It doesn't make your age backwards. But you have this ecosystem of people selling anything they can to billionaires on any basis, and this has fallen into this this ecosystem. There are plenty of others. There's plenty of magic pills floating around Silicon Valley, none of which work. But it is creating an extraordinary problem because to be able to do this, you have to throw out the evidence base of medicine. You have to be able to ignore the hippocratic earth. And there is now a concerted push to do that, and it's it's highly effective.
Speaker 1: I went to this, This was a sort of work reporting task. I went to a longevity conference in Las Vegas, and you know, tons of people, they are super interested in longevity. There's all these booths with all these different supplements and procedures and X y Z and one of my friends, funny clever friends text me afterwards, and he goes, did you see anyone over that looked over one hundred years old? I go, no, I did not. I did see a lot of old people at the casino. They were playing slot machines, and they looked like they were having a lot more fun. I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean old people at the casino is probably the right metaphor to go with here, except the payoff as zero percent. Right, I make this point. I'm going to make it as well as I can. Now. Once you're at age forty, the odds of dying double every eight years. Just like clockwork, every seven or eight years, your odds of dying double until you did. Now, a lot of people get upset about that, understandably, but that's life. There are a heap of people now claiming, especially in that space, that they can reduce biological age. And let's say they claim all the time, I can reduce your biological page by ten years. Now, let's think about what would happen if that was true. Every disease that gets worse with that age would drop, right, it wouldn't just drop, It would more than half your risk of dying from a heart disease. More than half risk of dying from cancer, more than half. You could run a clinical trial on any one of these diseases and be one of the world's richest people because you could do it again and again and again. So, if you could reduce my biological age by ten years, like really, actually do it, why are you selling it in a booth in Las Vegas? Right? Why are you not collecting hundreds of billions of dollars from merk, collecting your Nobil prizes and going home. Because it's not just the diseases that kill you. Every disease that gets worth worse with age, bolding, a rectile dysfunction, you know, whatever it is, whatever insanely profitable thing it is, If you can reduce that by ten years, biologically you're more than halved to the rate. So why are you pitching to me on Twitter? Right? The answer is because none of this stuff works, none of it. It's you're selling a skinny dipping less tripped to Ponstilion's family Youth. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny because I talked to a few of the people who were running the boost and you know, own these companies, and more than one kind of looked around and said, you know, like ninety five percent of the shit at this conference it doesn't work at all, but mine works. Well, yeah, yeah, we do the math here. How many people told me that I don't know if that math maths.
Speaker 2: There was a I had a beautiful study by a lady who went to Sudinia and talked to one of the hundred year olds and they said exactly the same thing. They said, my birth certificate is real, but that lady up the road like she's making it up.
Speaker 1: So for the people listening to this, who go, I kind of hate you because I've been eating beans the last eight years because I was told that it would help me live longer, and I hate beans. What do you feel most firm about in terms of things we can do to live longer? And then a sort of underlying question is with these practices, are we lengthening our lives or are we just not dying as early? How do you think it is?
Speaker 2: Not that the point of medicine is to make you live a longer and healthier life. So if you want a longer, healthier life, good talk to your doctor. That's it. Not some not some cookbook salesman on YouTube, go and talk to your doctor. If you can't afford a doctor, if you're in that unfortunate position, then the best thing you can do exercise, don't drink, don't smoke, Like I know you want to have a beer after work, but like that is the stuff that works. Now you can add some niche stuff like you know, obviously don't do crack cocaine underneath the Loma Lindow Overpass. But really we already know what you have to do, and it's very simple. It is free. Yeah, except in America for the doctors.
Speaker 1: Except in America for the doctors. Exactly how has all this work you've been doing changed your own habits thinking in life?
Speaker 2: It hasn't changed my habits much. You know, in terms of being a sole custody data to kids. This is as physically first you could be right, it's not. You sort of do the best you can. But in terms of changing my life, you know, as increasing amount of hate mail. But also it's been extraordinary the degree to which other professional demographers can just be bought, I mean, really just be bort I mean we have now a Blue Zones research institute. Despite the fact that Loma Linda was on the drive to Vegas discovered from the freeway. We now have some of the top demographers in the world just saying I'll take the money and I'll come and join you. Where is the actual basis of this is highly questionable. It's coming up. It's sort of in development at the moment. But I'm seeing the papers coming through that are trying to They're trying to reconcile a reputation of this idea without ever explaining why. For twenty years an idea with no basis in fact was taken seriously by the scientific community. So, you know, I talked briefly about the demographer from Costa Rica who was paid to fined at Blue Zone fines went in Costa Rica. But this is the format. Mister Buttiner has no expertise to speak of whatsoever, and seems to be very successful at simply saying I'll pay a consultancy to people who do have expertise, and they'll say things that curiously align with exactly what the marketing hype says.
Speaker 1: What do you think the fectsos?
Speaker 2: If I knew, I would do it, you know, if I had an easy answer. But I think the thing we really need to focus on is that medicine was messy. The history of medicine is brutal, and it got us to a point where we have guardrails, we have safety. We cannot just throw that away because people at the top of government or people in a marketing company don't like the burden of evidence anymore. And as a scientific community, I think we need to really kick the charlatans out, Like it's obvious to everybody who needs to be fired, who needs to be removed? You know, you can't have one of these people has tenure at one of the best universities on earth and has sunk eight billion dollars of other people's money into what are effectively supplements sold out of Vegas, And why is that person still in the job. We need to ask serious questions about, like why why are we putting up with this removing For example, doctor oz Is won the BIGGESUS Awards, which is an award for claiming things that will be true when peaks fly. He's won it multiple times. Yet the amount of blood it took to get him off one of I think it was the University of Chicago, I can't remember exactly it took him to get him off a medical board in a major university is extraordinary. He should have been sacked day one, day one, and yet we put up with We put up with the quackery. I just don't understand why.
Speaker 1: Well, I think one thing that as positive as the fact that you and I are having this conversation, your work is resonating. And I think once you get enough public pushback, things start, People at least start to be a little more on guard and they start to go, okay, should we you know, what are the holes here? And it might be a slow process. I don't know, it might be fast processed. Sometimes things it's like you have a moment, kind of like when your paper came out and everyone goes, oh shit, we gotta we got to get our act together. But I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the heartening part of this is the public, even when they're being tricked, they sort of have this feeling they're being tricked. You know, they're smarter than we have, a smarter than we give them credit for. Right at least, I agree. I know that the public is very smart at figuring out once I've been shown something as a trick, like they know. If you ever doubt this, go to a Reddit sub thread on something like a magician's show, right, they figure it out, even when they're intentionally being tricked, they figure it out. And I think that's sort of wonderful. We just need the equivalent of Penninella up the front saying this is how the trick is done, and the public could very quickly latch onto that. So that's the that's a really positive note coming out of this. You know, you ask me for my health advice, but the public know my health advice. They know it themselves already. They know that America, honestly, you need free healthcare. You just need it. It's something that is constantly there in the back of everyone's mind that there's something sort of deeply wrong with this system. And the more we're very explicit about that and explicit about the fact that people understand this problem, the more hopeful I am that it will get fixed.
Speaker 1: How was your work made you think about death? I'm fine with it, honestly, great answer.
Speaker 2: Like, is eighty years not enough? It's great to have eighty years. You know, if you if you go back to the past, the past is terrible past. It is like, like, even if you have eighty years in the past, is you know, people, the people, especially the right wings think to love to harp on about Rome being this sort of you know, tough and manly place where you go around and be tough and find battles and stuff like, you want to know something about them. The public bathrooms had a shared sponge that's the toilet paper, right, So you're going back and even if you're at the elite tier of the past, it's terrible. It's terrible. So you know, eighty years now is fantastic. It's fantastic. So just enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Just have a good time, right, Yeah, your probability of reaching eighty years has never been higher and never been high. Those eighty years are going to be an all likelihood, way better than they would have been had you met him one hundred years ago, three hundred years ago, two thousand years ago, whatever it might be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so much better. I mean it again, the history of medicine sort of puts a different spin on this. But you look at what people died of in the past, and you look at how long they got and you just think, Okay, no, we've we've lost that perspective and we've lost that feeling of joy in existing. To some extent because that constant threat of death is not there. It's great that constant threat of death is not there. But we don't need to sit around like anxiously panicking that we're not going to make it to one hundred and five. I think it's fine. It's fine to not make it to one hundred and five.
Speaker 1: That feels like a good note to end on. It is fine not to make it two hundred and five. Well, Saul, I appreciate you coming on the show man. Your book is fantastic. I recommend it to everyone listening right now.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. It's been a real pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thank you for checking out the episode, and thanks to Saul for jumping on and chatting with us. We are in your feeds twice a week, so please keep an eye out for more. If you have a question for our Ask Michael Anything section, please submit it in the comments or send it to media at twopct dot com. Even better, if you want to send us your question as a voice memo or a video, we would love to run that and answer it. We will try and answer as many as we can. Of course, please subscribe to the show really helps, and in closing, have fun don't die, and if you do die, pretend you're alive and keep collecting those social security benefits.
Speaker 2: Classic