Speaker 1: Are you leaving?
Speaker 2: I you wanta way back home?
Speaker 3: Either way, we want to be there.
Speaker 2: Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim, and give us.
Speaker 4: Time and a termino and gay.
Speaker 5: We want to send you off inside. We wanna welcome you back home.
Speaker 3: Tell us all about it.
Speaker 2: We scared?
Speaker 5: Or was it fine?
Speaker 6: Melbourne?
Speaker 5: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 5: Do your need you ride? Ride with Karen and Chris? Welcome to Do you need a ride? This is Chris.
Speaker 3: Fairbanks and this is Karen Kilgarriff.
Speaker 1: Karen Kilgarriff, I was in your stomping grounds as well as our guest today.
Speaker 5: I'm not introducing her. I'm just referring to.
Speaker 3: Our guests, but I don't cue her.
Speaker 1: Early I was in well, I wasn't in Petaluma, but I was in San Francisco and Alameda and where they have the boats, and I did shows in the Bay.
Speaker 5: Let's just call it the Bay. You know I'm faithful to the Bay.
Speaker 3: You always have it. Wait, did you do shows up there?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I wore my uh San Francisco jacket and hat and tried to convince the audience. I was local and to not know not hassle me only for one show, you are right to say no, I didn't do that on all the shows.
Speaker 2: Wait, the forty nine ers jacket, that's that a kind listener gave.
Speaker 1: You, and I have one for you in a box here that I have yet to bring you. Yes, yeah, well, you know we all are bad people in our own ways.
Speaker 3: I'm one of the worst.
Speaker 2: You wore the forty nine or jacket on stage at a club in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's one of these loosey goosey shows.
Speaker 2: And did you feel like your jacket brought some structure to it?
Speaker 1: It just made me not acknowledge the fact that I don't have a good, solid opening joke that I in for twenty twenty two that isn't about disease and death. I'm trying to be more lighthearted. And my whole COVID set that was doing gangbusters a couple months ago when everyone was scared. No one wants to hear about this stuff anymore, but I got some pretty good bits holding a mirror up to what's been happening out and.
Speaker 2: Pull out the disease now and and replace? Is it with what comes next.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I even have some fourth Wave Next variant bits just to look toward the future.
Speaker 2: But why not write a bit about that forty nine ers jacket that you decided to wear on stage?
Speaker 5: I could.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think wearing it is the best way to do that, but it's very warm.
Speaker 2: It is a winter coat that would technically make you a prop comic though.
Speaker 3: Did you know that?
Speaker 5: Yes? I know, yes, let us not remember.
Speaker 1: The day is when I wore four wigs and took them off one by one.
Speaker 5: Everyone's heard that. I'm sorry to repeat myself.
Speaker 1: I got a request also, Karen, that we never mentioned bustles or butt springs from the old timy days ever again.
Speaker 5: Okay, we brought that up too many times.
Speaker 3: People got upset. I got a tweet.
Speaker 5: I got a short curt tweet. No more knock it off?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no more bustle talk. Wow, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Hey, guess what just happened? What we talked about bustles again?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, yeah right, put it up on the scoreboard. I didn't know we did it that much.
Speaker 5: We love it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like that you said that started that sentence. Let us not remember. I think that's a really good way to approach many things, especially a eulogy.
Speaker 3: Should we introduce our guests now.
Speaker 5: I'm very excited about our guests, so we might as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, you know our guests today from clubs and colleges of course, multi Writers Guild Award, winning, Emmy nominated, then perhaps winning very hilarious stand up comic and friend.
Speaker 3: One of the greats, but really one of the great.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, put your hands together at home or in your office for Emily Heller.
Speaker 6: Wow, wow, thank you. I'm clapping. You have to, oh, thank you for having me. I'm excited to be here.
Speaker 7: Good.
Speaker 2: I'm embarrassed that it's taken this long. I think that's a real discree.
Speaker 7: You know, I kind of I haven't done stand up in almost four years, and I'm pretty sure people forgot I exist. So I'm not offended or surprised. I'm just delighted that someone remembered me.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: I knew that maybe you weren't doing stand up as often because I know you're a busy writer.
Speaker 6: Yeah I'm not that busy right now, but I am.
Speaker 7: I'm working, but yeah, it has I have shifted my focus to that well.
Speaker 1: You do have a quote overall deal. Now have they given you any specifics other than that?
Speaker 7: You would be surprised how few specifics they gave me. When I got my deal, we had like a kickoff call and I was like, so what do I what am I supposed to be working on?
Speaker 6: And they're like, just whatever, you're passionate about it.
Speaker 7: I was like, I need ten more specific suggestions were.
Speaker 2: All passion Just send them the catching rain Water in your own backyard.
Speaker 3: Pilot that you've always wanted to write.
Speaker 7: I was really just going to talk about rain chains and no one's gonna pay me money for it.
Speaker 2: Emily was very passionate on Twitter for a while about well, because it was the scariest part of the drought and so you were doing some drought like help drought prevention stuff.
Speaker 7: Well, I did the the the quote unquote turf replacement rebate. When I say that, people think that I mean I put an AstroTurf. What it really means is I just got rid of my lawn and put in drought friendly landscaping and in order to do and like the city paid me square foot.
Speaker 1: Is that enough to buy the It's just a rebate, A reason.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean I probably could have broken even if I did more of the work myself instead of paying people to do it. But I will say I think I I think I took.
Speaker 6: Out like I think I got like thirty five hundred bucks or something.
Speaker 7: WHOA, that's great, because I think I took out like, yeah, like eleven hundred square feet or something. And in order to do it, they offer a free class on like drought friendly landscaping from the LA Department of Water and Power, And it utterly radicalized me about storm water capture in southern California.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Wow, it really changed the way I see everything in this city. And it made me an absolute zelot about making your.
Speaker 6: Whatever you know dirt.
Speaker 7: You're in charge of making it loose and permeable so that when it rains, the water goes down through it and replenishes our underground aquifers instead of running off your property and going into the street where it will just carry trash to the ocean and become undrinkable.
Speaker 5: Oh wow.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So, if anyone wants to talk to me about this, I obviously will talk about it more.
Speaker 6: If you don't interrupt, are.
Speaker 1: I will interrupt you with are you a yellow, keep it mellow, household, you know what.
Speaker 6: I should be, But I'm not as much as I should be.
Speaker 7: And I like to think that the fact that I have rain barrels is like counteracting.
Speaker 6: The fact that I try.
Speaker 7: That I flesh more than I need to, and I take baths more than I need to. But like, I'm also like not watering a lawn anymore. And I have like five rain barrels soon to get more, and I use them.
Speaker 2: To water are so wide right now, you see joy, she is lit up like the fourth of July.
Speaker 6: For boy oh boy. Yeah.
Speaker 7: And it also just every it makes me just mutter under my breath, every time I walk by a lawn that doesn't need to be there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me.
Speaker 2: Tell you there's especially these days where we've gone through serious drought. We had, you know, a little bit of a decent amount of rain right last winter, but not enough to make up for what is basically we're incurring more and more drought.
Speaker 6: When it does rain, we don't capture it.
Speaker 7: We should be capturing it because that's precious, precious water.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's true.
Speaker 7: I mean, really, it became it was like I stopped doing stand up and just started talking about rain chains on the internet.
Speaker 5: I didn't have.
Speaker 6: Enough time to write jokes anymore.
Speaker 7: I just had to think about what you should put instead of your gutter, which is a rain chain.
Speaker 3: A rain chain.
Speaker 2: That's They're all over Hawaii. I was just in Hawaiian. That's the big thing over there because it rained so much over there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and they can't like I mean, do they ever have droughts in Hawaii? I imagine probably not. It rains so much. Yeah, it's tropical, so it rains all the time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but they don't have wedding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they don't. They don't have snakes. I just have to always say.
Speaker 6: They don't have snakes.
Speaker 1: They have no snakes in Hawaii. What Just like I know every time I'm in a you know, because you go to Hawaii, you swim around in stagnant water covered with floating oranges to then climb up a waterfall. I've done a lot of picturesque things. I'm not bragging. I'm just saying I'm always scared of snakes, and I've never.
Speaker 7: I've never been to Hawaii. I went once when I was a baby and I don't remember it and I had thrush. But I've never been as an adult, and now I want to go and just bring a bunch of snakes and just ruin everything.
Speaker 1: I think that somehow they monitor that and that's how they've kept snakes out.
Speaker 3: Because of course you have to pay the cartoon.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, villains want to come in with snakes all the time, just to mix it up, just to cause terror.
Speaker 3: I have to say, Emily, it's true.
Speaker 2: I go there and I still I don't know if I get thrush. But it's not a for like the Irish or the more northern northern people. It is. My sister and I always look at each other and she's always like, like, are the bottoms of our hair will curl up all the way to our heads and beat and start getting nodded, and everything just gets kind of like just being humidity, a sweaty, Yeah, just like a lot of sweating. She's like, we're not Hawaii pretty. It's just not how we're pretty.
Speaker 7: I will say, like, I've never wanted to. I've never wanted to, like do one of those DNA tests things, but there is I think the only the most tempted I've been is to just wonder, like where am I supposed to live, like, what was this body adapted for? Because it's definitely not Los Angeles, like I can't I can't breathe here, and it's definitely somewhere very very far north, I'm sure, but where but where you are?
Speaker 5: You're right.
Speaker 1: The fact that I am and I'm not joking to the ocean and the ocean breeze makes me immediately sneeze and I have to do my whale dand er joke again.
Speaker 5: I hate that. I think that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm definitely an English person that's supposed to be in a cloudy like on a grassy hillside.
Speaker 7: I mean, the name Fairbanks definitely suggests the most British of British.
Speaker 1: So you already know more about my name than before I did. My forever twenty one or forever twenty one, I do not forever. I was born in a shopping mall.
Speaker 2: It'll fall apart three days later. You'll put it in the wash and I'll just fall apart. Yeah, I really do, miss. I have to say, I think, coming from San Francisco, the lack of moisture in southern California is so shocking to the system. When you grow up in a place that has that much moisture just in the air naturally, where it's like, you know, in the summer, it's like maybe it'll be ninety and everyone will wear shorts and it'll be crazy, but for the most part, it's like for seventy years. Yeah, yeah, and that kind of the sun's over there and there's moisture in the air, and like it just isn't. This is an arid desert climate that people actually aren't probably even supposed to live in except for specific.
Speaker 7: Natives, and even even they, I think avoided certain areas that we have built homes in because they were like, oh, that's not inhabitable because that's just where all the pollen goes. The pollen just sits there. That's not for people.
Speaker 6: Don't go there.
Speaker 2: Also, the WiFi is bad, so don't. That is not where you want to be. Did you start stand up in San Francisco?
Speaker 6: Only I did? Wait, yes, I did.
Speaker 7: I took a class in college and see I U see Santa Cruz. And then I started doing open mics in San Francisco, and I moved to San Francisco and I lived there for like three years.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I started there, But yeah, I started in San Francisco.
Speaker 7: I was there for three years, so I like did the punchline and stuff, and I worked for Rooftop Comedy.
Speaker 6: Do you remember that company?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Yeah, that was like my first job out of college.
Speaker 3: What'd you do?
Speaker 6: I mean, I started as an intern and then I was just some sort of like vague editorial position. I just ended up watching a shitload.
Speaker 7: Of like stand up footage, which was really good because then it's like I learned everyone's names.
Speaker 6: Like I learned.
Speaker 7: I think I knew more like feature acts than I did headliners by the time I like left, because we were just filming everywhere and I would just like watch it and select clips to put online. I would just like write down the timecodes and be like we should put this.
Speaker 6: Clip up and stuff.
Speaker 7: But it made me feel like a creep because when I moved to New York, it was like I would go to open mics and I would be like, oh, you know.
Speaker 5: You knew everyone material?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I knew everyone's material.
Speaker 7: I knew, And I also was that annoying person who I was like, Oh, someone in Austin's telling that joke. You should that joke anymore. I've never been to Austin, so how would I know?
Speaker 5: Great?
Speaker 1: Was I the comic from Austin? Are you trying to let me know people are out there pilfering mine?
Speaker 7: Oh no, oh, May may God have mercy on anyone who tries to steal your act.
Speaker 6: I can try and do it for themselves. How how on her?
Speaker 5: Good luck?
Speaker 2: Good luck?
Speaker 5: I lie, I take that as a compliment.
Speaker 7: You should as you as you well should. I don't think I've ever been the type of comedian I I And I don't know if this is good or bad, but I definitely don't think I'm the type of comedian where it's like, well, only she can make that material work, Like I hope that there's someone out there who could make the material sound better than I did, because I just don't think I'm like, I don't have like that kind of I always felt like I had to work really hard on my jokes to make sure that they were like the joke was clear, and I don't know, like very wordy, very word specific. I like labored over the wording because I don't think I had the personality to.
Speaker 6: Carry it otherwise.
Speaker 2: Well, that's hilarious to hear, though, because honestly, you're one of for me.
Speaker 3: You're one of my favorite people to watch you comedy.
Speaker 2: Your ideas are always very like they're like I almost every time, I'm always like, why didn't I fucking think of that joke?
Speaker 3: Like you did that chunk?
Speaker 2: It was it was at the Bootleg and you were just trying out a new bit about going to the therapist, and it was so it was so what I was saying is what I really love about your comedy. It is so unapologetically your own story. So it's almost like you're saying, hey, look like hey, look, this is just what I think of, and I get to say what I think of too, and it's always hilarious.
Speaker 3: And this therapist bit, I was.
Speaker 2: Just like, god damn it, Like I've thought of that a thousand times, but I've never not in joke form, not funny like the way she just said it. Like I really love your stand up and I love I love like the place you carve out for yourself when you do stand up comedy. It's very specific. Yes, I think people really feel it.
Speaker 6: I definitely.
Speaker 7: I think it's one of the weird things about doing stand up is like I think I went into it thinking I was more normal than I was, and then doing stand up reveals to you like, no, this is the thing that only you think, and that's what you should say. But you have to be clear that you know that other people don't think that way, otherwise you'll leave out vital pieces of information. Do you ever talk about your therapist on stage? I tried to, almost defiantly.
Speaker 2: After I saw you do that bit, I was like, well, I have this one I was thinking of doing, and it was more specific to one thing that happened between she and I that was a strange misunderstanding. But once I did it, I was like, it doesn't matter. It still falls under the umbrella of uh.
Speaker 5: What was it?
Speaker 2: Was that thing of like if your therapist thinks you're being weird?
Speaker 7: Was it? No? I mean the thing the thing I talked about in my joke was that, like, I mean, mostly I talk about how I want to be her favorite client and that's not a healthy impulse, but that like a friend of mine told me that she had made her therapist cry, and I was really jealous.
Speaker 1: I think I did something with my child psychologist that I was a goal of mine where he said, you know what, I think you're fine, but I do want to start talking to your mother.
Speaker 6: That's the dreams.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, that's that's the fantasy as a child.
Speaker 3: There's nothing wrong with you, it's everybody else.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and maybe he wanted me to be there too. All I heard is that I had passed the torch.
Speaker 5: And do you.
Speaker 7: Think and forgive me for violating Hippa by asking this, but do you think it's because you made your mom sound messed up?
Speaker 6: Or because you made your mom sound really hot?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, his name was doctor Richard. Come.
Speaker 1: No, I have said that before on here, so sorry to repeat myself.
Speaker 5: But you know it was is that something? It is? Yeah, Dick, cos it was. Isn't that fun if he's out there?
Speaker 2: If you're astrolian, are in there somewhere so that you just don't have any of the challenges?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that.
Speaker 6: Doesn't sound gross at all.
Speaker 2: No, it kind of sounds like a curb at least it's not come straight up.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, that's a real name. I think it's okay that I said his name, but it was years ago. I was fifteen.
Speaker 7: He was a child psychic collegist and that was you know what, ten years ago. Yeah, yeah, he's probably out of the business.
Speaker 1: Yeah he is, and I have I have driven by his home office just because it's near downtown to see if he's still around, because he was.
Speaker 5: He was a nice man. Well that's what.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I was just hearing voices and stuff, so we had to talk that out. I think I was just having anxiety attacks. But I thought I was being possessed. But that's enough about that.
Speaker 7: Really a little morsel and then leave, leave us wanting more.
Speaker 1: It was just background noise being attached to an emotion, usually one that's negative.
Speaker 6: Did they tell you what to do?
Speaker 5: Oh? I got a lot of advice. I was told by one of my moms, like Crystal.
Speaker 6: The voices. Did the voices tell you what to do?
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, that would have scared me, like a dog saying killed the queen or you know something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how you we saw it happened to Reggie Jackson in.
Speaker 5: Naked Gun.
Speaker 1: Yes, uh no, it was just it's I know I've talked about this, or maybe I haven't, but yeah, yeah, it was just background noise like pencils scratching or something would turn into sounded like whispering, and I'd get paranoid.
Speaker 5: I think they're just little anxiety attacks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because when I have them now I just ignore them and they're going I thing.
Speaker 6: Of pencil scratching where it kind of sounds angry at you.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, I've had that. You have had that. Yeah, there are people.
Speaker 6: Ever talked to my therapist about it? Is that bad?
Speaker 3: No, it's no, I know happening. It's happening today.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: I've talked about it and there is a word for it, and people have told me and I'm like, okay, good.
Speaker 5: And that's all I need to hear.
Speaker 2: Sorry, it all comes back, get under the bus. I also wonder, and I probably have said this in response to that story, Chris, that that idea that you probably had, Like I always like to tell people and this I now I do it. In the beginning, I did it and I was being sincere, and now I do it because people have such a hilariously strong, usually negative reaction when I say but I believe myself to be a super taster, and everyone's like, oh really, you could taste everything, and it's like no, no, I just like if you put a piece of cheese in the refrigerator next to a tuna sandwich, I'll be able if I bite the cheese. I'll be like, this was next to a tuna sandwich. Ye like, And it's usually things I don't like or whatever. But yeah, but I wonder if, and it's I've had that for a while. I wonder if when you were a kid, you just had incredibly sensitive and maybe like tuned up hearing and so like you were just left to interpret all the sounds you were hearing.
Speaker 1: But like it honestly was a heightened ability to hear here background noise that.
Speaker 5: I otherwise couldn't hear it.
Speaker 1: It's almost like so I thought they would check to see if I had wax falling around in my ears, so suddenly it would be out of the way.
Speaker 5: And I thought I had superman hearing.
Speaker 1: I went to so many doctors, and no one really was ever able to Usually I would just make people nervous because you're talking about voices.
Speaker 2: Now, will you finally admit today that you were lying that whole time?
Speaker 1: It was I was looking for attention from my mother and I wanted her to date Richard.
Speaker 5: I thought they'd be a good couple. I wanted her to remarry.
Speaker 1: And this is gonna sound gross, but I'm a super taster too, except the thing we put in the refrigerator that I thought tainted all the food was my pet frog had these work. We'd feed them, these worms, and they smelled and everything in the refrigerator had a hint of this. I'm so sorry, these little buckets of worms.
Speaker 5: I love the frog.
Speaker 3: So this is like no saran wrap on the top of the bucket.
Speaker 1: It was in a sealed tupperaire container. Yet still they were so punched created otherwise they die though, right, thank you? I'm not sure, but that gets me out of this. Yes, it was air rated, and the worm flavor just painted all the cheese.
Speaker 3: That were sitting open.
Speaker 7: I think, like, no matter what budget you're working with, at a certain point it becomes worth it to just get a dedicated worm only fridge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, colledge size, yes, just like.
Speaker 6: A mini fridge. Just yeah, just for cold worms.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 7: What kind of Arctic worms are these that they need to be that cold? I feel like that would kill them, wouldn't it not? Wouldn't kill them?
Speaker 6: I yeah, maybe they weren't.
Speaker 1: As fast as Yeah, I just know that trying to store them on a window sill, they don't last long at all.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, there's gotta be a happy medium between absolutely greenhouse boiling them and putting them in the crisper drawer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is why beautiful broccoli.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why I started bringing the containers into my bed with me.
Speaker 2: Now, real quick, I want to ask Emily, did you when you felt you also had really good hearing or sounds that would morph into other sounds?
Speaker 3: Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 7: Well, for me, it was just sort of like I would be alone in my room and like certain sounds like if I was like writing with a pencil, or just other random sounds. They just sort of sounded mad at me. They didn't sound louder than normal, they didn't sound different than normal. There was just something about it that made it seem like I was in trouble.
Speaker 1: I don't want to describe it you. That is exactly how I tried to describe it. We had the same thing. I without a doubt it was the same thing, because it was It's not.
Speaker 5: Like the it and it wasn't all the time.
Speaker 7: It was just like no, I think obviously it had to do my anxiety or something like it had to be alone for a while and just have too much time alone in my thoughts or something like.
Speaker 1: But yeah, although one time I remember it hitting me while I was riding a bike and I had to pull over and ask it to stop, and I would audibly say please go away, please go away, because again I thought there was a chance these were devils. Sure, oh wow, which is horrifying for a kid, But that's just don't let your kids watch scary movies.
Speaker 6: Wait, so were you raised religious at all?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: Okay, but you thought that they were double But.
Speaker 1: The worst version of this was at a Bible camp.
Speaker 5: And I've talked about this a.
Speaker 1: Million times, but maybe not this in when all the kids were in the same room, sleeping in bunk beds. It was a symphony of nasal whistles and breathing that I had convinced myself with kids crying out in the lake drowning.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's oh wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry, everybody, that's a damaged young boy.
Speaker 6: Can we get mictor Richard come to come in?
Speaker 5: Doctor come, doctor, come in the main office.
Speaker 4: Calling in from Philadelphia, doctor, doctor com I don't think I ever like interpreted it too much, like I don't think I wondered why it was happening, aside from the idea that maybe the world revolved.
Speaker 6: Around me in some way. I was like, there might be an explanation in that somehow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought, yeah, I guess it's a weird way to find out as a narcissistic little boy.
Speaker 7: I mean I thought I was I was a narcissist too, or I was just like, oh, yeah, I guess it's this is something to you with like this entire universe that was built for me malfunctioning in some way that only I can notice.
Speaker 2: Well, I would like to counter both of you at this time as and I'll just act as doctor Richard, come right now and say that both of you.
Speaker 5: Live from Philadelphia, that both of you.
Speaker 2: Have very very strong imaginations and you're very intelligent. So the idea that you would basically hear a noise and be able to write a story, just like you would look at a picture and write a story, or see a person's face or reaction and write a story about what they're doing or whatever, that's just like all the same thing.
Speaker 3: Chris, are you looking at your phone?
Speaker 5: I'm looking up talking to you.
Speaker 2: I am with your psychological issues. Any texting, Doctor Richard.
Speaker 1: You know lake House, you know what an amazing multitasker.
Speaker 5: I am.
Speaker 1: I'm simply reading while listening about noise annoyance associated with depression and anxiety.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but be in the conversation about it.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 5: And to your point, Chris.
Speaker 7: If you don't focus, she's never gonna marry our mom.
Speaker 2: You're not going to get out of this problem if you don't listen to my lecture. When I don't know anything about it, and I just tell you what happened.
Speaker 5: This is how mad the voice is used to get. This is exactly what happened. Pencils scratching, lectures.
Speaker 3: Screaming at you.
Speaker 2: I used to have a thing where if I started to get if I started to get.
Speaker 3: A little song in my head, I would not be able to stop.
Speaker 2: Like it would be like a say, a five note little piece of music, and I would just hum it over and over and then I would do it until I gave myself a stomach ache, and then I would have to kind of do the same thing about loud, be like, don't do that anymore.
Speaker 3: Where it'd be like almost a I don't know if.
Speaker 2: That's a little bit OCD type of thing, where would just be like this song, this is the song I'm using to. I think it's because, uh, maybe all of us were left alone too much as at a young age, where it's like what else is your brain gonna do?
Speaker 5: But but have chumbawamba. I get knocked down, but I get up again.
Speaker 6: Original songs or was it?
Speaker 3: And songs is very generous.
Speaker 2: It was like one of them was like, uh, it was like just these little tunes that I recognized as almost like to pass the time, like if.
Speaker 3: You're walking home from school, or if I.
Speaker 6: Was trying to.
Speaker 3: Exactly, I would just be like.
Speaker 2: I would enjoy kind of singing to myself, and then after a while I wouldn't be able to stop.
Speaker 3: And then I was like.
Speaker 6: Karen's theme.
Speaker 7: In parentheses walking to school, walked into school.
Speaker 1: Either of you ever when you're playing alone, uh in your house's there? Did you ever pretend to die and try and lay totally still as credits rolled and like it's at the end of an episode of something. My thing was that was a fun game.
Speaker 6: I do?
Speaker 7: I do?
Speaker 6: I do opening credits in my car while I'm driving listening to a.
Speaker 7: Soone the cold open of the movie, and then it's the this is the like you met the character now she's driving to work.
Speaker 2: This is the stuff she does, check her out, this is this is what she's like in the day to day. Mine actually was like five minutes before yours, Chris, is where I always loved at night when I was trying to go to sleep, to stick my arms outside of the bedding, just like TV show hospital patients, and then pretend that I was either in a coma and people are coming to visit me and apologize and dode on me and be like, Karen, you have to please make everything's gonna fall apart. It would be like just less kind of like pretend like this is what it would be like, Oh my.
Speaker 7: God, I had okay, wait, I had a very similar thing that I loved to do as a kid, which was after I would take a bath, my mom let us use these like big beach towels to dry ourselves off every day like whenever, and so I would like wrap it around my shoulders like it was like a blanket, and I would always want her to make me like souper something right then, so I could act like I was just in like a natural disaster and that the gees had like wrapped a blanket around me, and I was like eating soup to feel like to restore youself.
Speaker 6: I'm just rescued from a cave.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, or you rescued a bunch of people. It's fun to pretend you're a hero, and so you get soup from the fireman.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And she eventually caught on that it was not because I was hungry, but it was just because I was couse playing the victim of a tragedy.
Speaker 6: And she was like, I'm not going to make you ramen right now.
Speaker 1: We are not playing We are not playing Tsunami child today.
Speaker 2: Imagine though, if, like the year you started doing that and loving it, you got for Christmas one of those like aluminum foil blanket wraps for people who run marathons, like I'd be the dream gift for you.
Speaker 7: Here's my question, though, I don't know what I saw that made that put that image in my head, Like I don't know what I was watching or like what would I use?
Speaker 6: Would I have?
Speaker 7: I I mean, I feel like I was too young to watch the news.
Speaker 3: What how old were you when you did this?
Speaker 6: I want to say, you know, seven or eight?
Speaker 5: Sure? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 6: When I play teen being like, hey, mom, will you make me ramen?
Speaker 7: After I get out of the bath it was like I was little enough too that like the beach towel really was like I would be swimming in it.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not a bad idea because as a smelly, smelly little child, I think I would have thought bathtub time was more fun if there was a big, colorful beach.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I was gonna say, you got to act like the victim of.
Speaker 5: Au and loud.
Speaker 1: That's a great way to get kids to bathe just to pretend there was a flood.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean there's the whole industry of trying to make bath time not boring for kids. Like the amount of the amount of shit in every kids bathtub is yes, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: We actually at this second house we lived in Petaluma, there was a washer dryer in my parents' bathroom, which is where the shower was, and so you could have a hot out of the dryer towel when you got out of the shower. And then my aunt came to stay. My aunt Kathleen, who was like the queen of all good ideas and have you heard of this thing? She was like always had the newest, coolest thing, And then she goes, you know, you need pat bath sheets, Like we were still in bath towel area. But bath sheets are the ones that are like crazy big. So then we had these peach colored bath sheets.
Speaker 6: I've never heard of this.
Speaker 5: I do not know what a bath sheet.
Speaker 3: Is, guys, are you serious? I guess it'd be the one to tell.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So my dad is like six foot four, so he needs everything bigger anyway. And bath sheets are like the standard bath towel where you go vootvoot and you basically have say half a foot on either side of towel, right, like for the wrapping depending on your size.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, and for the listeners, Karen just mind wrapping it around her waist, yeah, kind of like I know you said foot foot and probably everyone knew what you meant.
Speaker 6: But in case.
Speaker 3: Voot, a wrapping sound.
Speaker 5: Under the arm, Pito.
Speaker 2: But a bath sheet would be like, you know, six five feet long or something. I'm sure there's stats that we could actually look up, Chris, if you want to look up bath sheet stead can.
Speaker 1: I can only do that if you start telling me a story.
Speaker 3: It has to be about your personal life.
Speaker 5: Is it the texture?
Speaker 1: I'm guessing here, but it's it a thin towel basically, but its.
Speaker 6: Picture it like it's really thin, but that's.
Speaker 2: No, it's the sheet is kind of supposed to be referencing the very large size, but it is like a regular bath towel that's just way bigger. So then we had like new bath towels that were gigantic and hot out of the dryer.
Speaker 3: So were you have never.
Speaker 6: Fully burrito your entire body if you're.
Speaker 2: A child, Yeah, yes, and almost like have no downtime of like that discomfort between shower and clothes where you're just kind of like at in between.
Speaker 3: Like that was just like a great commercial.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no brag, sorry, but it just reminded me of it.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm overwhelmed right now with a desire to have giant towels.
Speaker 2: It's a good idea just when when you're drying, when you're buying towels like a target, you know how like the little thing is like you know, hand towel, guest towel, Yeah, bath towel, bath.
Speaker 3: Sheet, Just go one like shelf down or over. Yeah, just keep looking you'll.
Speaker 5: Find I know what.
Speaker 1: I just got my first of which they've been around forever. They're very popular a robe. Oh yeah, and I just walk around, you know, kind of pretending to be a not problematic Hugh Hefner. I love wearing a robe and that's perfect out of the out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just got it. Yeah, you got to you got to launder those.
Speaker 6: I feel like robes are.
Speaker 7: One of those things where it was like a specific moment in adulthood when I was like, oh, I can buy.
Speaker 1: This if they're fifty two one hundred dollars. And I don't know why robes are so high, but once you get it, it's like worth it.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think that's why. As they know, they're like, you want it.
Speaker 1: You are a man, you want this seventy nine dollars case well, and it should last.
Speaker 2: Like if you get a good robe, you you'll take like three years to break it in, right if it's like a towel robe where you're going to need to kind of like you know, at first, it's it feels like you're wearing a long, large terry cloth overcoat when you have a robe and you're just like, uh, but you have to wash it like twenty times, and then it's then it's your robe.
Speaker 6: Here's the thing I keep seeing on TV.
Speaker 7: Like characters where it's like they're doing a scene in the morning where they just woke up where they're wearing like pajama pants and just like a like a nice comfy looking T shirt, but then they have like just like a cotton robe over that, like this is my morning time.
Speaker 6: And I really wonder if anyone does.
Speaker 1: That right in real And are you just are you talking about pajamas because I've never understood having a shirt with a little pocket up front and a little pointy.
Speaker 5: Hat matching pants.
Speaker 3: I never don't understand the pointy hat. I mean in wintertime.
Speaker 1: I mean, there are certain points in history where it's a very bad thing.
Speaker 5: But I'm not here to talk about that. I'm talking about it.
Speaker 6: You're talking about a matching pajama set.
Speaker 5: With like I'm talking about like the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these these crazy people who don't simply sleep in their underwear, That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 7: I will say I have recently become one of these people. I have recently started buying matching pajama sets. And I'm really struggling to think of why it's worth it right now. But there's something about it that is really nice. It's a nice way of keeping track first of all, what you slept in the night before.
Speaker 3: It's true that you're not just keeping the same thing.
Speaker 7: So like, did I wear these pajama pants every day this week? It's like, no, I wore this set and then this set and then this set. But yeah, I don't know what else about it is nice.
Speaker 2: It's just nice, don't you think In quarantine I was right here with an answer for you, because I feel like there was that. I mean, I was already kind of a sweatpants as pants were trying to get away with that as much as possible, right, but when quarantine started, it was just like it literally didn't matter every day for two years of our lives what we wore because we weren't really probably going to go anywhere or see anybody. And then I think that after a while, yeah, Like I remember thinking to myself at say month eleven of the quarantine, like, take a shower, it makes you feel better, like stop, just stop just getting up and then just do it, like and then following the day around like you know.
Speaker 7: What's interesting though, the more that I'm thinking about it is that like I definitely dress like shit all the time because of quarantine. I guess, but also just because it's comfortable. But that means that my pajamas are fancier than the clothes I wear for daytime.
Speaker 6: For being awake.
Speaker 7: I put on a little fancy collar uniform to go unconscious. It's not more cute, more more put together than anything else the rest of the day.
Speaker 5: Do you do you ever put anything in the pocket bring.
Speaker 1: It to bed, a little little action figure.
Speaker 7: No, it's like I'll put my in it if I'm walking around, like getting ready for bed.
Speaker 6: That's all that I use it for.
Speaker 1: How did you sleep terribly? I rolled over onto my carnation.
Speaker 2: My.
Speaker 3: Formal. That's such a funny observation.
Speaker 2: It's so true. It's like, what do you ever wear a button down shirt, oh at night when I'm at night.
Speaker 6: When I'm asleep, and it matches the pants.
Speaker 7: That go with it.
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 1: I kept dressing up, I kept putting on outfit where everything looked good together, and I was not leaving the house and it I think it was just to kind of feel normal. Yes, yeah, but I was even ordering new clothes.
Speaker 7: I got really into like certain routine stuff, like I got diagnosed with ADHD like three years before the pandemic, and so when the pandemic hit, I was like, I need to be so strategic about this or I'm going to do nothing feel terrible and just this is gonna be the worst. So I got like really systematic about the stuff that I did to like make sure that I was doing stuff every day, and like, ye got into like really granular ways of like planning my day. But it meant that I didn't have to like do the outfit thing in order to make it feel like a day. Yeah, I would still dress like absolute shit, but you were doing other stuff, but I was doing other stuff that like kept me on track and stuff.
Speaker 5: But right, things that matter, not the I prioritize. Yeah, agree, it mattered.
Speaker 7: It would just be like I would just like I would start every day by like I would give myself a specific I said a bunch of timers on my phone, and every day at like eleven am, which is when I said my day started, I gave myself like fifteen to twenty minutes to plan.
Speaker 6: Everything else for the rest of the day. So I would plan when my meals would happen, what my meals would be. I would make a list of everything I needed to do that day and then like look at my hourly calendar and decide when I would do certain things. And I tried to make like a general sort.
Speaker 7: Of like template where it was like this is the hour when I do housework, this is the hour when I do writing. And so then every day I would plug in like the specific housework thing I needed to do and things like that, and I did maybe half of what I said I was going to, but it was still way more than if I hadn't done anything.
Speaker 6: At all to plan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's completely you were like own butler?
Speaker 6: Yeah kind of yes. Is that what butlers do?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm just thinking of.
Speaker 2: Work to do, present presenting you the menu for the day, and having your agenda.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm just thinking of the butler from Arthur that actually told him to take a bath.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: That was the thing where it was like I had to schedule that in and to figure out where it was going to happen. And I did start to That was a thing where it was like I would I would schedule my sho for like four in the afternoon.
Speaker 6: When I would start to like.
Speaker 7: Flag a little bit, has like a little bit of a like wake up, like yeah, yeah, jolt.
Speaker 5: Are you still doing it? Did it carry over to post kind of full out of it?
Speaker 7: I'm still trying to do it, like this was from yesterday.
Speaker 6: Look at that I didn't like still in the hours I'm holding up.
Speaker 5: Organized that you really are doing it?
Speaker 7: I am.
Speaker 1: What are those categories? There's a garden category.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's like jeopardy. So there's I mean, okay, so I'll take you through it. So the things I would I say, I have to do every day, our schedule, stretch, meal plan today I did none of those, God bless. And so then I have color coded sections because like making a to do list, I feel like it should have separate types of tasks because sometimes you're in the mood for one kind of task and not others. Certain tasks I can watch TV on doing them, and that's a high.
Speaker 6: Priority task idea, yes, of course.
Speaker 7: And then there are like things I have to do outside, things I have to do in my office.
Speaker 6: But so work is red.
Speaker 7: So that's like anything usually like writing stuff, or like anything that I have to do on the computer, like email stuff. Then there's I mean, my old color coding system was red was writing, blue was administrative and housework. Housework was another one, and then right now it's just blue is miscellaneous to do?
Speaker 2: It is CVS in there, going to getting some cute tips or whatever.
Speaker 6: I forgot to go to CVS. I do have to go to CVS today.
Speaker 7: Write, write this is why I should have done my schedule today, because I should have.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna do that as soon as we're off.
Speaker 1: No, it's why you need an all inclusive butler.
Speaker 7: Yeah. But then there is a garden section which has been like less.
Speaker 6: I have less to do in the garden right.
Speaker 7: Now because I'm taking this season off because we're doing work out there, so I can't. I had to like dismantle my garden beds. I'm not doing like a full push this year. But now it's just like very low key maintenance stuff. But I do have to.
Speaker 6: Oh I can cross one of those things off. I did it the other day. Great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, put yourself on the back.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, now you have to actually pat yourself.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 5: There, wait, I have I.
Speaker 6: Have a trophy over here. I can just hand it to myself.
Speaker 3: Yes, what you got?
Speaker 5: Oh? What is that a speech and debate trophy someone at a podium?
Speaker 7: Yes, I have all my I have all my speech and debate trophies interpretation.
Speaker 6: No, I did Lincoln Douglas.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 7: Humors interurp would have been, would have made sense. But I didn't know I wanted to do any comedy yet. I was just like, I think Lincoln Douglas was a sort of low Like I knew I wanted to argue with people and I wanted to be told that I was right at the end.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, it's funny. The only trophies I have are from the Pinewood Derby Boy Scout, where you make little cars out of wood.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, this is the.
Speaker 7: First proof I've gotten that that happens outside of TV.
Speaker 1: Also, I was way into the Pinewood dirty and I may have cheated and added extra weight at some point, like I wanted to win and I did win.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the and.
Speaker 1: The trophies, they're the same trophies a race car driver would get, though it's just a car. Like if anyone just glanced at them, they're like, oh, I didn't know you had a pass in motor sports.
Speaker 7: And that's another thing that as an adult you can just buy.
Speaker 6: It turns out is.
Speaker 7: You can just go to a trophy store and get whatever you want.
Speaker 6: These are so cheap, like I can.
Speaker 7: Unscrew them, like, yes, it's of course I could, definitely, But yeah, I have all my I have two.
Speaker 6: You are correcting your intro.
Speaker 7: I have not won an Emmy, but I have two Writers Guild Awards, and I have those just among all of my high school debate trophies.
Speaker 1: What did you win Writers' Guild Awards for? Yeah, yeah we won.
Speaker 7: Two years we won for Best New Comedy, and then the next year we just won Best Comedy, which was cool.
Speaker 3: Congratulations, thank you, and such a good show.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 7: And the awards are really pretty and heavy, especially compared to the fucking trophies that I want in high school.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, in high school it is like you know, you probably they ran their budget over by buying three trophies or whatever.
Speaker 3: God for you two.
Speaker 1: Ever, did you write any episodes that were directed by Maggie Carey?
Speaker 7: Oh, you know what, I think both seasons my episodes were directed by Hero Marai at least season one was I don't remember who. I think he directed my season two episode as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Maggie was an old Yeah.
Speaker 1: I moved to Austin with her, she is my girlfriend out of college. But she had a regional Emmy. She made a documentary in college about women homesteaders. Oh, and was still a student and one an Emmy. That's like, it's the Emmy trope. It's just slightly as smaller size, like because I think later she got bigger ones.
Speaker 6: But it deserves them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: She and and it was so cool that she won this as a student, Like, had an Emmy.
Speaker 6: That's so cool.
Speaker 7: How do you keeping a normal person after you win an Emmy in college?
Speaker 5: I know, I'm such a bad I'm so glad.
Speaker 7: I didn't accomplish anything until after I was twenty five.
Speaker 6: I would have been so insufferable.
Speaker 7: No one would I would have no friends right now if that had happened to me.
Speaker 1: I know, I thought I always wanted her to just carry it around with her everywhere.
Speaker 5: I'm like, every we won't have to wait in lines. There's also a sharp and intimidating weapon.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, seems super dangerous.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah it's but yeah, yeah, me too. That's why I never accomplished a thing. I didn't want to.
Speaker 5: Have to live up to.
Speaker 6: The dangerous is too.
Speaker 3: I'm scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, My biggest fear has always been trying to live up to a younger version of myself.
Speaker 5: Really, and thank god that.
Speaker 2: Just not It's not been a problem. Yeah, Emily, you've been saying on Twitter that you have been watching The guilded Age. Oh I want to talk about it, Chris. I'm sorry if you don't watch this, I met.
Speaker 6: I mean, there's.
Speaker 5: Okay, I have a lot to look up on my phone.
Speaker 7: There's gonna be some some bustle talk, I think, which might be a problem. Oh yeah, did you every finale yesterday?
Speaker 3: Yep, I just watched it last night.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what the fuck are they doing?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 7: There are like multiple storylines that they just let go of and then just introduced a brand new one yesterday about the chef. The chef story was so outrageous. I could not believe it. Chris, do you care if we spoil any.
Speaker 6: Of this for you?
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't, but I will watch it. But I don't mind about spoilers.
Speaker 3: It's worth watching.
Speaker 7: There's no such thing as a spoiler on this show because nothing happens, and I don't think it. Nothing happens where you're like, oh my god, I'm so glad no one told me.
Speaker 6: That was gonna happen.
Speaker 7: That has never happened on this show where I've been like, oh wow, what a twist. Yeah, yeah, it's a yule logue of a TV show.
Speaker 1: It's like it's even when someone yeah, even if someone did that to me with Game of Thrones or something, and chances are I'm like, well, I don't know that name.
Speaker 5: I'd have to see them.
Speaker 3: Write it down and you're not. But I was gonna say, you know, it's funny.
Speaker 2: I was watching it last night going because I've I've read people's I've read the articles and whatever, but I think that there are cast members that are so above and beyond excellent. Right, so there's good watching to be had. But they're doing a lot with kind of not that much. Yes, but I really do believe this show belongs to the costumer and the outfits that they're clearly handmaking for every single fucking episode where there are hundreds of dresses, and Carrie Koon I've seen posts on Twitter where she has a body double, and I went, they have to make two of them, of every one of these fucking dresses at least.
Speaker 6: Yeah, everyone on this show deserves.
Speaker 7: A lot of credit except for the guy who wrote it because he's.
Speaker 6: Doing so little. And my god.
Speaker 7: So there's this twist in the finale. Everyone skip ahead if you don't want to hear about this. There's a twist in the finale where this French chef gets a letter from his estranged wife, which every Julian Fellow's show has to have someone getting a letter from their estranged wife saying that she's gonna threaten to out him as not actually being French but actually being from Kansas or whatever.
Speaker 6: And then he just all of.
Speaker 7: A sudden, this guy who's been speaking with a French accent for nine episodes stops using a French accent, and it's sounds so ridiculous, and it's also like, this is not a character that we give a shit about. He's had no other stories in any other episodes. He's just the guy who's there and who's French. And then in this episode it's like this big bombshell, and I'm like, okay, but there's this other guy who you haven't had. He's been stalking this woman and he confronted her in the last episode and he was like, don't you remember me? And they never told us why, and then they still don't tell us why in the finale, like a bunch of scenes on this French guy who know it, there's no consequences, even like he almost gets fired and then he comes back like what are they doing on this show?
Speaker 6: I want I want to watch one hundred more hours of it immediately.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's the long con of we're gonna we're we're intending to pull you through to the second season, because to me, the chef, it seemed like they were starting a romance type of thing between the chef and the house manager that takes notes in her notebook, you know, the.
Speaker 6: Short giving them too much credit.
Speaker 3: They're not again credit.
Speaker 6: They are not planning this. There's no there's no fucking plan. There is no plan.
Speaker 7: I think they have maybe a couple ideas for stuff that they want to happen, like endgame, but they didn't set up anything. They didn't give us any cliffhangers. There was no There was no drama at Gladys's ball, Like there was no drama at Gladys's Ball.
Speaker 3: Nothing drama was.
Speaker 2: The drama was they were dressed like Madonna from the Express Yourself. The second Live MTV Performance nineteen eighty nine entertain meant there was a no, not that one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they did a quadrille, a quadrille dressed as like Marie Antoinette that like wearing powdered wigs.
Speaker 5: Oh sure, sure, now I vividly thank you, now you know?
Speaker 3: Now you know?
Speaker 7: Yeah, when that dance happened, it was one of those moments where it's like everyone's losing their minds because they're doing like a kind of funny dance.
Speaker 6: And I was like, all right, none of them had TV.
Speaker 7: That's why this is so truly entertaining, entertaining to them.
Speaker 6: This is the most fun they've had all week.
Speaker 2: But I do believe in Julian Fellows, right, is the guy that made the series, And what I believe in in him is basically, you want to be in the ultra rich people's house while they do shit. So if you're just a fly on the wall while you watch you know, Missus Russell fucking like Tom and dear Society, hell yet, right, because what more do you need? If you if there's too much, you won't believe it. So it's just like, yeah, you just get to be here when they all do rich people shit, and you'll love all of it because you're you're basically a peasant.
Speaker 7: You're basically at like a historical reenactment rather than like a TV show where you're just sort of like they're just sort of like waftily like living their lives and you're just sort of like floating around like a dust moat and you don't nothing happens.
Speaker 2: You know. The German the German cooked stole for one episode. Remember that at the very beginning, like she was stolen, and then she was stealing, was stolen, she was stealing, and then she turned herself in the end.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's how they did.
Speaker 7: It was just like and then there was there's so many like little plotlines where and then there was like that other woman went to go visit her mother and that was it.
Speaker 6: And then the end her mother was mean and she comes back to the house the end, and yeah, there's just a lot.
Speaker 5: But to be clear, you both like this show.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 6: I love it, but it's bad.
Speaker 7: It's like I love it and it's bad, and I want I want to watch many, many more hours of it.
Speaker 6: And he's also.
Speaker 7: Making really obvious mistakes because the guy who's writing it is Julian Fellows, the guy who created down Abby, and it's just he is a like a very conservative British Man and he loves the fantasizing about a time when poor people were very grateful.
Speaker 6: For service jobs. That's that's his favorite thing.
Speaker 7: But he sets it far enough in the past that like he can he can have like one of the one of the rich people say like, well I actually think women maybe they should vote, and it can feel progressive, even though that's maybe as far as Julian Fellows actually believe that things should go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he wanted it to stop there. Yeah he was.
Speaker 2: Also he's also still suspicious about electricity, you know. But here's what I want to give credit for, like as because the because I think sometimes and this could have been the thinking. Remember when like Ted Lasso got so huge and people are just like, yeah, we're all beaten down by the like this Trump era of extreme and constant shittiness, and people want to turn the TV on and go there where people are like intentionally always nice and treating other people well and teaching them how to be nice. And that concept is just as fantastical, right as like as this where it's this is almost like next stage where like we're not really in quarantine anymore, but we also don't know what the fuck is going on, and now there's all this other weird shit.
Speaker 3: Hey over here, check these dresses out.
Speaker 2: There's color combinations you won't even understand, Like the dress that the astor daughter was wearing that had it talk about a rogue, remember the blue balls, and then the the material of the dress was peach colored. And I'm like, sorry, this is it must be historically based like it. You know, those people were studying old shit, so there you can. I just keep thinking, like I trust these people that they're showing us how horrifying these fucking dresses were real time.
Speaker 3: This was early.
Speaker 6: Some of the dresses are really bad.
Speaker 3: There was yeah, I mean, and some are like you just show is about it.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's called the Gilded Age because it's like the rise of tackiness. It was like the very beginning of hackiness.
Speaker 5: Is one of the money was about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it's so good.
Speaker 7: But I will say, like I don't find it to be pure escapism because it's like about the rise of the robber baron, which is like something we're living through again. Like all of the stuff that took all of the like legislation that we like took down the robber barons and broke up the like monopolies and stuff. Is like, oh, we like got rid of that recently, and now they're just coming back.
Speaker 2: And now it's just billionaires that literally evade the law and make their own rules. And yeah, yeah it's and they're smart enough not to do it at balls, Like now they're just off. Now they're off on mega yachts in Morocco or wherever.
Speaker 7: Anyway, if anyone wants to talk to me about rain chains or the Gilded Age, I'll I'll just go.
Speaker 6: You don't even have to put a corner in me.
Speaker 5: I'll just go.
Speaker 6: I'm upset. I'm obsessed with it.
Speaker 7: It's so good, and I'm so annoyed that there are no more episodes and we're gonna have to wait so long.
Speaker 6: I'm sure sure his sweet time writing the next.
Speaker 3: Season, although would you say that.
Speaker 2: I just felt like there were so many like balls still in the air once I was like at the final season or whatever, where it's just like there's like four plots that you absolutely are going to It's like someone's going to have to explain to us what happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there must be a set.
Speaker 2: I think it's if it's Julian Fellows, They're like, you automatically get two or three seasons.
Speaker 3: So we're just that's my and maybe it's too much.
Speaker 7: I don't think there's a question whether they're going to give it another season. I think they have to write and I think I just think that it's going to take a long time.
Speaker 6: I just think.
Speaker 7: Especially it's like every famous Broadway actor is in this show, like the amount of coordination that needs to happen. I'm also convinced that like almost everyone is filming in front of a green screen or something like, because it's just like you.
Speaker 6: Don't have I was thinking about that, like in the last.
Speaker 7: Episodes the first time when everyone's together at the ball, and I'm like, everyone had to be in front of a green screen for that. There's no way that they got Christine Baranski's schedule to line up with schedule, and Donna Murphy and like every other one of those people.
Speaker 6: It's I don't even know what to say about it.
Speaker 2: Real quick, how about fucking Nathan Lane Nathan Lane kick founder founder.
Speaker 7: I was I was talking about it like I was like I was trying to get someone excited about this show and about that the episode where he shows up, because I was like, there is gonna be a real record scratch cameo that you are going to be excited about. It's like a real what's the word, like, uh, what's the word for when it's like.
Speaker 6: A stunt cast stunt casting?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah.
Speaker 7: I was like, there's some fun stunt casting in this episode because the episode where Nathan Lane, he's playing this real life guy named Ward McAllister who was like the lackey to.
Speaker 6: Caroline aster or whoever you know.
Speaker 7: Missus Astor who had like the list of the four hundred people who are allowed in society and he was like her lackey and so you if you got him on your side, And the scene where they.
Speaker 6: Introduce him, they basically.
Speaker 7: Have every single person in the room gets their own reaction shot before they before he shows up, and it's basically they're basically all being like, oh shit, it's Nathan Lane. And he comes out with this mustache that is like a lloreal mustache with a little like Van Dyke on the on the chin and he's doing fog horn leg horn and it's perfect it's so it's so big. But then if you look up the real guy in real life, like his real life facial hair was even more ridiculous.
Speaker 5: Really, yes, and you look up.
Speaker 7: A picture of Ward McAllister, like the photographs of him, you're like, oh, they took it down because they were like, if we actually did this, people wouldn't wouldn't believe that this is what we actually looked.
Speaker 6: Like, wait, I'm pulling it up.
Speaker 5: Do you think it really was?
Speaker 1: They're all these individual shots are because it was a COVID safe filming environment or something when all of the.
Speaker 7: Actors are like so busy, Okay, can you see this picture of this guy's facial hair?
Speaker 5: Oh wow?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, should have been Giamati. Should have been Giamatti, I'll say it.
Speaker 6: Right now, exactly like Paul Giamatti for sure.
Speaker 7: But I also just think it was the type of thing where it's like it should have been Lathan Lane, Like, yes, there's a lot of like implying that this character is gay as well, So it was like Giamati would have been wrong.
Speaker 2: True, Tucci would could have made it work, but I do think that Nathan Lane is doing it with the glimmer in his eye. That is like holistically, it's like, I know what's happening.
Speaker 3: I'm in this. I love it. I also know you love it.
Speaker 2: Like what he's doing is kind of like we all have a wonderful Jim at the picnic.
Speaker 6: And honestly, that's the vibe of the whole show.
Speaker 7: Like Gilded Age is just watching like all of Broadway's top stars having a murder mystery party, yeah, where no one gets murdered, but they're still committed to the character, like they forgot to assign a murderer, but everyone's in costumes, so they're like, we might as well keep doing these accents for real.
Speaker 3: It's such a joy.
Speaker 1: I tell you, maybe I'll just start watching Down to Abbey.
Speaker 7: I mean, if you haven't watched Down Abbey, I kind of feel like Gilded Age is for people who have run out of Down Abbey episodes to watch and they want they want to be in a similar mood.
Speaker 3: They want to go back. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I haven't dipped my toe in even you know.
Speaker 2: And I have to say, it's just it is, it's just rich uh what do they call it.
Speaker 3: It's like rich peeping tom ism.
Speaker 2: And then you're thank you it's not peeping Thomas.
Speaker 7: And yeah, they're all changing, They're always changing.
Speaker 5: I never peek in the windows of the poor people.
Speaker 3: Only because they have the boats.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that pajamas back in the bush now.
Speaker 2: But you can pat yourself on the back because it's historical fiction. So it feels like you're kind of learning maybe, or like you're watching PBS.
Speaker 3: You can tell yourself.
Speaker 7: I mean, I definitely feel like that without Nabby. I don't feel like that at all with the Gilded Age. I mean with the Gilded Age.
Speaker 2: Although I will say we were there when Electricity was that premiere.
Speaker 7: There is interesting stuff about like the black middle class that lived in Brooklyn and like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's some like it's a little bit like.
Speaker 7: There's fun, like real characters who come in. It's like Clara Barton starting the Red Cross. We're all going to a fundraiser for this new thing called the Red Cross, and like yeah, like that what's his name? T Thomas? T Thomas loved him, T Thomas Fortune, who is like this h he runs a black newspaper and that was like based on a real guy and he's like a character on the show, and like, oh yeah, she gets the job with yeah, she gets the job with and then they immediately abandoned that storyline to give her like some baby that she lost instead, even though that's a less interesting story but whatever, right, But.
Speaker 6: What was the question?
Speaker 5: Love it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's it's just so fun.
Speaker 2: I think you need to start making a Gilded Age podcast to compete directly with HBO.
Speaker 6: Is there official Gilded Age podcast? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, please do.
Speaker 6: I would listen to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would too, for sure.
Speaker 1: Are you are you still doing? Speaking of podcasts, are you still doing Baby Genius?
Speaker 5: I am?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So I've been doing Baby Geniuses with Lisa Hanniwalt for like ten years, I think.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and we stopped having We now only do it every other week and we don't have guests on anymore, which like very simplified it for for us both. But yeah, I don't know if we'll ever stop. I hope we don't. But yeah, it's it's still going. Yeah, does anyone listen to it? Not?
Speaker 6: Really? That's fine.
Speaker 3: Do you get some money because of advertising?
Speaker 7: We actually recently just decided we don't want to do ads anymore because we weren't making a ton of money on it anyway, and it was like sucking the life out of me. Oh yeah, so and we're on max Fun, which is like, you know, we pledge money instead and so right, yeah, that's where like most of the money from it comes from. And it's not a lot of money, but it's just like we just do it for fun and just I just do it to make Lisa hang out with me a couple times a month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what Karen doesn't know has happened.
Speaker 2: I thought I was just here to really suggest amazing topics and I mean I like it seed conversations. Do you have any plugs that you want to give? This has been thank you so my gosh, thanks nailed it.
Speaker 6: I loved I loved seeing both of you again. It's been too long.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's good to see it too.
Speaker 1: And next time we'll have you in an actual car and we'll take you to get pajamas.
Speaker 6: Yes, we'll go to the pajamas store.
Speaker 5: We'll go to the trophy store.
Speaker 7: Let's do that, and then if we each pick out a trophy and we get a trophy on whatever we want.
Speaker 5: It's actual idea.
Speaker 3: That's a really really good idea.
Speaker 6: Someone, right, I'm putting it on.
Speaker 7: Put it in there in blue. It's it's an er bliscellanius to do. I don't have anything to like. If you want to listen to my podcast Baby Geniuses, I recommend that. Oh you can watch my entire hour on special for free on YouTube.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, it's on YouTube. You can watch that.
Speaker 7: I have an album called Pasta you can buy and uh, yeah, very little. I think the the third season of Berry is coming out soon, but also on the show in a couple of years, so I'm like, I wonder what's in it. I've definitely probably changed everything because we were like working on a right before the pandemic and then like you know, I signed my overall deal. I'm not at the show anymore, so they like hadn't started filming the season, the last season that I worked on, and now it's finally coming out because they shot it at some point over the pandemic and I'm sure they rewrote everything.
Speaker 6: So I'm like, it's gonna be a huge surprise.
Speaker 5: What's gonna.
Speaker 7: For you?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's fun.
Speaker 1: I get sad every time I drive back where the Steve Allen Theater used to be because I know that's where I had his acting classes, and I'm like.
Speaker 5: I wonder when that Barry shows. I love that show.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I guess it's coming out.
Speaker 7: I think in April, and the new season of the Gilded Age comes out as soon as HBO has the fucking guts to renew it.
Speaker 3: Do it, you know you have to.
Speaker 2: There's so many there's stories, untold HBO stories.
Speaker 3: I'm told that we must hear.
Speaker 6: I'd like to plug the Gilded Age.
Speaker 7: That's what I want to plug season two, crossing my fingers for season two of the Gilded.
Speaker 2: Age, it's let's hope they go downstairs a little bit more. Let's get into that, let's get into that servants area, Let's let's see what's going on.
Speaker 7: I'm just begging them to finish one of the stories they've been telling. Yeah, just just finish one of them.
Speaker 5: Did he immediately lose his French accent?
Speaker 7: Yeah? He well, so he was still talking and they were like, wait, so why are you still talking in that accent and he was like, I don't know, it is just force off abby and they're like, but you don't have to do it anymore, and he was like, all right, so weird, weird.
Speaker 1: I really like that actually, and I'll plug even though I've never seen it down to.
Speaker 3: A yes, good idea.
Speaker 5: Then I'll stop calling it Downtown Abbey. Totally different show.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think of anything else. Julian Fellows's work done. Please look up, just put him in the search Bark Gosford Park is one of the great films of our time.
Speaker 1: In a week, he's going to be like, why do I have all this? He'll because IMDb.
Speaker 7: Meter, his star meeter is going to I had to place money on whether that guy has the Internet or not.
Speaker 6: I don't know what I would.
Speaker 2: He can't be in that world when he has to recreate these old worlds for now.
Speaker 7: You know, that's a guy who if anyone has a butler, he probably has a butler.
Speaker 3: Yeah, modern day butler. Sure, yeah, Oh well, thank you.
Speaker 5: Let's wrap it up. I actually have to check my star meter now.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm going to check my wiki feet. Thank you guys so much.
Speaker 5: You are the best.
Speaker 1: Thank for being you've been listening to Do you Need a Ride?
Speaker 7: D y N.
Speaker 5: This has been an exactly right production.
Speaker 3: Produced by Casey O'Brien.
Speaker 5: Mixed by John Bradley.
Speaker 3: Artwork by Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 5: Theme song by Karen Kilgarriff.
Speaker 2: Follow the show on Instagram, Twitter, and face Facebook at dinar podcast That's.
Speaker 3: D y n ar Podcast.
Speaker 1: For more information, go to exactly rightmedia dot com.
Speaker 2: Listen, follow and leave us a review on Amazon Music, Apple Podcasts, or wherever.
Speaker 3: You get your podcasts and don't forget.
Speaker 1: You can listen to new episodes one week early on Amazon Music, or early and ad free by subscribing to Wondery Plus in the Wondery app.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Oh You're welcome.
Speaker 5: Pon konk