Speaker 1: Hey, there are folks. It is Tuesday, October the seventh, and we continue on our horror hit list and on number twenty five this movie. You don't have to take our word from it at all, because this horror movie has a ninety seven percent Rotten Tomato score. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. Going through our horror hit list, we hit number twenty five. Robes this might be low for us, because this movie moved up our list of favorites really really quickly.
Speaker 2: Yes, because it was an interesting premise and it wasn't one that I would typically assume a horror movie would be set in a late night talk show, So it wasn't something that I necessarily immediately said, Babe, we've got to watch this late night with the Devil.
Speaker 1: But it takes a minute to even realize what you're watching, and it is. The themes are familiar to horror movies, but they take a totally different span.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is a lot of fun. The genre was so unique. It was such a well written, well acted movie. It was all taking place truly. There were some found footage elements to it, but basically, essentially the whole thing takes place on stage. There's one setting throughout the whole thing, so that's really unique and pretty cool. This was released March twenty second, twenty twenty four, rated R. It's just an hour and thirty three minutes sweet spot.
Speaker 1: We didn't even say what it is, say.
Speaker 3: T I did say, but I sneaked it in.
Speaker 2: I didn't make a big drum roll number twenty five on our list Late Night with the Devil, so it's listed as horror, mystery thriller.
Speaker 3: It certainly is all of the above.
Speaker 1: The horror doesn't come into terribly to the end. Let's get you through what we talking about here. This movie's been out only a little over a year. Came out last year March twenty second. The synopsis is this. Johnny Carson rival Jack Delroy hosts a syndicated talk show, Night Owls that has long been a trusted companion to insomniacs around the country. However, ratings for the show have plummeted since the tragic death of Jack's beloved wife. Desperate to turn his fortunes around, on October thirty first, nineteen seventy seven, Jack planned a Halloween special like no other. Unaware he was about to unleash evil into the living rooms of America. Even that, you know what, that's kind of how the movie goes.
Speaker 2: You're intrigued, yeah the whole time, like, hmmm, how's this gonna go? Yes? So this actually is this doing well at the box office? Ten million dollars domestically, five million internationally, so fifteen million dollars total. I can't imagine the budget on the film was that big. Again, it all takes place on stage in one location. But the cast is amazing. David das Mulchin, Laura Gordon, Ian Bliss so so so well acted. I mean it really he had that late night talk show comedian thing down and was really great. The directors Colin and Cameron Karen's you mentioned Rotten Tomatoes score of ninety seven percent, audience score of eighty two percent. So this was pretty much liked by just about everybody who saw it.
Speaker 1: And you won't recognize the names immediately, but you will recognize the star of the show is David das Meltchin. Now you'll recognize him because he's been in a bunch of stuff and every time he makes an appearance in any movie, it's a standout performance because he's just that good of an actor. But also he has kind of a unique look to him. He has how unique look that you won't forget. And he's been in some big name movies. He was in the In the Dark Night movie, but he played a smaller role as kind of a crazy schizophrenic guy that the joker was manipulating. But he still stood out in a small role that he had. But this guy is he plays this role from the heart, the emotion, the fear, the late night cheesy comic, he does it all. This guy deserves more leading roles. He's pretty incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is really really good.
Speaker 2: And you know, we put this on our list because yes, it was well reviewed, but I think a lot of folks who do love horror movies sometimes the really really really high reviewed movies are very high brow, very artsy, and this one seemed like it could be that. So that's why I think I had and I don't know about you, babe, but I had kind of like skipped over it. I saw it a lot. It was like, I don't know, I don't know, And then I am so happy that we decided to watch it. And that's why we wanted to make sure we put this on the list because it could be one that you skipped over. It wasn't like it didn't have a big promotion. You're hearing about it in the box office so much.
Speaker 3: But you did.
Speaker 2: If you are looking at horror movies and you're looking through the streaming services, you might be like, what is I don't get it.
Speaker 1: It won't it won't. His name won't jump out, his face won't necessarily jump out, the movie art won't jump out. You can't really tell what's going to happen, and even we're gonna tell you a little more than just the synopsis. It's not a secret they're trying to hide. But even the synopsis and how the movie goes along, you can't quite figure out what's happening, what's real, what's not, where we're going, or even what type of horror movie. And then all hell breaks leave.
Speaker 2: That's all hell breaks loose. Actually, so the critic consensus. I like the way they wrote this. This is they collected all the different critics opinions. Delightfully dark, Late Night with the Devil proves Possession horror isn't played out and serves as an outstanding showcase for David des Melchin so they even mention him in the critics consensus because his performance again was so good, but they.
Speaker 1: Let you know they're in the in the that critic consensus, this is a possession horror movie. Now for some weren't you talking about Some people deal with supernatural better than they do than those Slasher correct and through the woods. Sometimes these are creepier for us.
Speaker 2: It depends on where your belief system lies. You know, yes, of course you could always be hunted down by a masked stranger in the night. But if you also believe the devil is real, there are no locks for the devil, and this one is scary and it apparently doesn't care where you are or if cameras are rolling in this film, So it's really really entertaining, but spooky and creepy and keeps you guessing all at the same time.
Speaker 1: Other critic review this is one I had to actually struggle to find people that had negative things to say about this movie, because certainly on Rotten Tomatoes, the critics overwhelmingly love it. There was one in here I want because they put it better Robes than I could actually put it. In their description an original and disturbing horror film, that takes the found footage formula to new ground, showing us how the excessive ambition for success can become an unstoppable evil. I thought that was an interesting way should put it. I didn't take it that deep necessarily, but that is ambition and winning at all costs kind of is really the foundation.
Speaker 2: Of the movie, right that whole don't make a Deal with the Devil. It kind of plays out in this film in unexpected ways when you least suspect it what happened. I liked this one too, very similar to the fact that it pushed a genre to a new level or to a new place, which was really cool.
Speaker 3: It's hard to do.
Speaker 2: There are so many horror movies coming out, this critic said, Late Night with the Devil evolves the legacy of the horror classics before it, pushing the genre to exciting new heights, as well as elevating David Dustmlchin to the leading man's status.
Speaker 3: He more than deserves. See they agree with what you just said, and.
Speaker 1: It carves its own identity from familiar materials, making a unique space for itself in an increasingly crowded field. We have to keep giving him credit. He is so key look, there are great performances throughout, but.
Speaker 3: Man, he was he was great.
Speaker 1: It was almost like he was the center of the ringleader of a circus because so much was going on around him, and he was trying to play to so many different audience, literally a live viewing audience. But he had to deal with his stage manager one way, and had to deal with his child the other way. He had to deal with his producer another way, all the while trying to make an incredible television show and keep his job. He juggled this thing really really well.
Speaker 3: Should we read the one negative comment that you found?
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, go ahead, So this is the one negative critic that we found that we I couldn't agree less with this person. But they wrote Late Night with the Devil could have been an interesting examination of power. Instead, it is a sloppy, dull movie that refuses to commit to its own format, aesthetic, or themes. I wonder after that critic wrote that and then saw everyone else's glory, thought oh, maybe I missed the mark, or.
Speaker 1: Maybe saw all of them and thought, hmm, I'm not gonna go with group think to say this movie is dull, that's insane, Like this critic might have fallen asleep while watching, unless.
Speaker 2: They maybe wanted that slasher racing heart just start to finish, and there are those horror movies out there for you. This one is just there's a great payoff towards the end of the film. It is absolutely worth the wait. If for some reason you think it's dull to begin with, just wait because it is anything.
Speaker 1: But that's so hard to suggest, Like the performance is so if even if you are watching this movie right and you're complaining that there's no horror yet, it's still an interesting movie to work. Yes, so it's not even before horror comes. This is a thriller and that there are moments where you're on the edge of your seat waiting for what is about to happen. And I promise you every time you guess, you're going to be wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they and it all threads together. It all makes sense in the end. So it's so good. Why it made our list. I feel like we've been saying it ad nauseum, but just love the premise, love the creativity that it all takes place at a late night talk show where you usually at comedy and celebrities.
Speaker 3: Instead you get.
Speaker 2: The devil the guest that no one wants to attend, and yet he shows up.
Speaker 1: It's also they do a really good job with the aesthetic. It looks I don't know how they go about doing this and shooting so it's not just hair and makeup. It's not just the outfits. They have a man wardrobe. Is not just redoing the set to make it look a certain way. I don't know how they shot this in whatever type of film. Whatever, it looks like the whole movie looks like you're watching something from the nineteen.
Speaker 3: Seventies, nineteen seventy seven.
Speaker 1: Specific it adds to the experience all this movie. And again the directors we name there are to some couple of Australian siblings who do direct movies together. They don't have a lot of credits to their name. Man, I can't wait to see the next thing they do. I love this movie.
Speaker 3: That's such a good point.
Speaker 2: You really almost feel like you're in a time warp, like you time traveled to nineteen seventy seven to watch this. That is true are It's an immersive experience. You feel like you're there with them in a different decade. It's really really cool. So who this four who is this movie for? If you love demonic possession, if you love building tension, a what's gonna happen next kind of film that's eerie and scary. It doesn't have jump scares necessarily, h but this is just a thriller and a mystery till the end.
Speaker 1: The look we're used to exists. Exorcist two three, The Exorcism, Yes, the Devil's No, The Pope's Exorcist. So all these you've seen a plenty of demon possession movies. We have seen more than probably anybody listening to us. We have seen a ton of them. We love them, and we will continue to watch them. This one showed us something we'd never seen before. This one is unique. It's not just a tired retreading this. They take something we are all used to and do it in a totally different package. And you are not sure what you're seeing. And I know what you think, I know what you're thinking. You know how this one's gonna end. You know where it's it is?
Speaker 3: Actually, don't you don't?
Speaker 2: All right, we're gonna tell you who this movie is not for, what you should pair it with, and we'll give you a tease for our next movie. Recommendation. It'll be our number twenty four in the list. So we'll be right back and continuing now with our number twenty five. Late Night with the Devil just an incredible, incredible movie about the supernatural, about demonic possession, all happening in the year of nineteen seventy seven on a live late night comedy show. It is an amazing script, incredibly well performed, and yes we told you. If you love supernatural, who done. It's basically and just a twist on a possession movie.
Speaker 3: This is your movie.
Speaker 2: It is highly reviewed, well reviewed, and just a it's entertaining to watch from start to finish.
Speaker 3: But who is this not for?
Speaker 2: Look, there are a lot of folks who like some kind of horror movies and just stay away from the Devil. They don't want to be around any sort of possession, any sort of supernatural. So definitely this movie is not for you. And I would also say if you are watching it alone, I would probably not want to watch this movie.
Speaker 1: Uh, there is a there's a creepiness factor. There are several scenes We're gonna get away from the last one, right, There's a there's a final closing climax scene that just will blow your mind. But there are several big, big scenes throughout that build up tension, and those will if you're watching them by yourself and somebody knocks on your doors, going to scare the hell out of you, saying, there's it's too creepy, it's too You're wondering what's real, what's not? Did they see that? Are we seeing the same thing? It's too much of that going on that you were sitting in a dark room. That's gonna be a problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because this is a late night movie, I would say, you want to watch this late at night with someone who you don't mind cuddling.
Speaker 3: Up next to.
Speaker 2: I think that's probably your best way to set the ambiance for this movie.
Speaker 1: There's another we should just give a heads up. This is not overwhelmingly and throughout has gore and violence and that kind of thing, But the scenes that do involve the little ick are really icky.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's a couple in the middle there, and there's a couple of things that happened that kind of a thing, but those do not are not long extended periods of violence or grossness well.
Speaker 3: Usually anything to do with demonic possession.
Speaker 2: There is usually some grossness involved, and so you can kind of imagine where that might go. So I was thinking about what to pair this with food drink pairing, and all I could think of was just given the style of the movie and when and where it's set, I was thinking like a martini, a Manhattan, some nuts and alaves, some charcuterie. I was just getting into that retro seventies feel of a late night what I would want to eat and how that would just fit the mood of the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, throwing your bell bottoms, your high tops and your pick and comb out your hair. This is We're gonna We're gonna disco it up tonight. No, I'll let you do the food bang because you take it very seriously and I'm going to respect how you give very good thought to this beyond just my popcorn and a beer.
Speaker 2: It is fun, though, to think about when you make an experience for a horror movie, if you know the setting, you know the genre, to kind of tee it up with the right food and drink.
Speaker 3: It is fun and.
Speaker 2: It is good to know. Can I watch this alone? Should I have this with someone? You could watch this in a group, But again you're gonna be paying so much attention. I think it's nice to just have that person you love to snuggle up with next to you.
Speaker 3: It's less of a group.
Speaker 1: No, it's gonna be annoying. You need people to be quiet, Yeah, you because they have moments of tension that everybody is going to be on their See. You don't want somebody it's someone idiot yelled out something in a room. I'd be upset. Yeah, because they will ruin this movie. This is an experience this movie. Absolutely, Yeah, you get it.
Speaker 2: If you have a talker in the group, don't invite them because you really really want to pay attention to this movie. But it was I just I loved it, and I loved how quick it was ninety three minutes.
Speaker 3: That's our kind of flick.
Speaker 2: So please, if you have a chance and you have someone you'd like to watch a movie with late night getting into the Hollywood hall, I can't talk Holly Halloween spirit in a Hollywood setting.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: I was trying to say those two things and they did not pairwell. But this is the movie for you. So we hope you love Late Night with the Devil as much as we did. We do have a little teaser for our tomorrow's movie, number twenty four.
Speaker 3: Do you want to see it up?
Speaker 1: Yes, the we have another interesting twist on a horror genre that's been done over and over and over and over and over again. But again, this is one that takes it in such an original way that you have to see it. And we're not going to give you the title now, but they give away what's happening in the movie in the title.
Speaker 2: It also has some really beloved actors in it.
Speaker 3: But it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Yes, but it wasn't reviewed as highly as we think it should be. So we can't wait to bring you that opinion about all these Well, no, Late Night for the Devil it was. Is that the highest rated movie I think we're putting on the list? Ninety seven percent?
Speaker 1: I think it might be, But again, eighty two percent from the movie goers. That's a little one in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, I think it should have been one hundred percent and one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: So anyway, we hope you enjoy it.
Speaker 2: We hope you're loving our Halloween hit list. We're going to have more for you all the way leading up to Halloween itself. I'm Amy Robock alongside TJ.
Speaker 3: Holmes.
Speaker 2: Thank you, as always everybody for listening.