Speaker 1: Dear let you know USA listener.
Speaker 2: Before we start, you should know that if you want to listen to this episode, add free. Just join plus and you can join for as little as seven dollars a month. Joining also gets you behind the scenes access and yes, some cheese man. So click the link in the episode description and after you do that, then click play.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the show.
Speaker 3: For me.
Speaker 4: When the Funnier All Stars came around, they produced a sound that was the sound of the city. That was the sound of the subway, that was the sound of the streets. That was the sound that I knew that was coming from my kitchen. That was the sound of rice and beans and my block and the fire hydrant going. And it was the first time in my Puerto Rican culture that I've a part of the culture.
Speaker 2: From Fortromedia, It's Latino USA. I'm Mariano Hossa Today a conversation with Oscar Golden Globe and Emmy nominated actress Rosie Perez. Rosie Perez is the iconic New Yerekan actress that you might know from movies like Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing or the nineties classic White Men Can't Jump.
Speaker 4: Well, you know billy. I've got a different settles amount you want to hear them. Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win.
Speaker 1: Maybe you've seen her in HBO's The Flight Attendant.
Speaker 4: I have a bounty on my head. Can you believe it? I'm aprized?
Speaker 1: Who would have thought me a prise?
Speaker 2: She started her career dancing on the nineteen eighties show Soul Trains. Then, she says she was noticed at a nightclub by Smike Lee, who put her in his critically acclaimed film Do the Right Thing.
Speaker 4: Trust Me, Trust too, Monti the West. Time I trusted you, we ended up with a son. Remb your son.
Speaker 1: I do remember my son.
Speaker 4: His name is Hecley.
Speaker 2: Rosie is a choreographer, an author, a boxing commentator, an activist, and now, most recently, Rosie has added podcast host to her resume.
Speaker 4: From Puturo Studios. Amosi Peretz and This is Our Thing. The Birth of Salsa in.
Speaker 2: Nuebayon Futuro Media's podcast, tells the story of Faanya Records, which is known as the legendary motown of Sansa music. Fanya was home to some of the biggest Latin artists during the sixties, seventies and eighties.
Speaker 1: Think about artists like.
Speaker 2: Willie Colonne, Ector Lavo, Celia Cruz, and Ruben Blades, all of whom broke the mole. A few weeks ago, I sat down with Rosie a WNYC's Green Space here in New York City in front of a live studio audience. We're going to bring you that conversation now where we spoke about Rosie's love of boxing, what led her to use her voice as an activist, and how hosting this podcast was a dream come true. Rosie Perez, it is so great to have you on Latino USA. Welcome to the show here live at the Green Space. First, and we're going to do apart from saying, oh my god, Rosie, thank you for coming to Lower Manhattan. You've got to be with the toll, especially with the reason why we're all here is because of salsa. Salsa music and the celebration of the birth of salsa here.
Speaker 1: In New York City, which would be our new podcast.
Speaker 4: This story stops in Uptown, New York City.
Speaker 1: You heard it as walking at Barrio.
Speaker 4: He's Underdogs created a sound that changed music.
Speaker 1: Forever, and we called it Susan.
Speaker 4: And one label captured that sound like no other Fania Records Fania Records.
Speaker 2: But before we talk about Susan the podcast, Rosie, I just need to get your take on this moment in New York City, Like, how are you feeling?
Speaker 1: What's up for you?
Speaker 2: Because like you know, your friends with Spike Lee and he's like driving around the like the pope in Brooklyn. You know, all he needs is a little popemobile to be doing that. It is a moment and I'm gonna be because I'm one honest all the time. I'm not a sports person. I know nothing about sports. I didn't even know that they were in the playoffs until a week and a half. I know, for Shane, I know, I know small Mexican girls can't jump.
Speaker 1: So the email go, what this is? What's going on for you as.
Speaker 2: A lifelong New Yorker New Yurekan moment, It's amazing.
Speaker 4: It's an amazing time right now. When they won Game five, Nick, parents, this is not a dream.
Speaker 1: After fifty three years, the next are finally embrya champions once again.
Speaker 4: Like most New Yorkers my age, I was in bed watching because it ran late, and I was so excited. And you can hear the screams from the street right and I wanted to go outside, and I had my nightgown on, my granny nightgown, and I run to the window and they're screaming. The neighbors are screaming up out my window going woo hoo. When I go, whoa, and my husband goes, get out of the window. You look like a crazy old lady. And the person downstairs she goes, everyone's a crazy old lady. And it was just so exciting. Brooklyn was electric. The city was electric, and it was very nice because the gentrification that's been going on in the city, specifically in Brooklyn and out of Burrows. It was the first time that neighbors who would just pass me right by will go yo, let's go next, and I'll go.
Speaker 1: Let's go next.
Speaker 4: I know you, you ignore me all the time. I'm love hello, I'll take it. So it was just great. The city really came together over this team was fantastic.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 2: I like, Rosie was also in bed, but I was asleep, and I think one of the best ways to be woken up is by the screams and cheers of your neighbors. You know because I'm in Harlem, and then they took the speakers out and it was blasting music.
Speaker 4: For the next time.
Speaker 1: It was such a celebration.
Speaker 2: So, Rosie, you've had an incredible career, you know, someone like me and been watching it from the very beginning. We're so proud of you and all of your successes and the fact that you are a actress.
Speaker 1: Can I just say so?
Speaker 2: So when you get this call like do you want to be the host of a podcast about the birth of salsa?
Speaker 1: What made you say I'm going to jump in?
Speaker 4: I said, Oh, my gosh, I can't believe this is happening, because it was a full circle moment for me because as a new Eurecan it was difficult growing up in the sense that when I would go back to Puerto Rico, they would call me a white girl or American and they would never let me have that moniker of Puerto Rican. And then when I would come to the States, then I had to deal with the presudice of them saying, oh, you're a Puerto Rican.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: It was like where do I fit? You know, where was my identity landing? And for me, when the Funnier All Stars came around. They produced a sound that was the sound of the city. That was the sound of the subway, that was the sound of the streets. That was the sound that I know that was coming from my kitchen. That was the sound of rice and beans and my block and the fire hydrant going. And it was the first time in my Puerto Rican culture that I felt a part of the culture. I felt like they were speaking for me in their lyrics and the fun and then the corny love stories and then the politics that were in their lyrics. And so when I went back to Puerto Rico one summer and they came on the radio in Puerto Rico, I am singing the songs and my Spanish was so bad that they couldn't believe that I was speaking Spanish so well. And it was my sister Carmen, who's here tonight. It was the first time I felt like we bonded bela right, and because we're both singing the same songs, and she took pride in saying, yeah, we're from New York and I never heard thatt Rica. I never heard that in Puerto Rico. And so when I got this call, to be honest, I started to cry and my manager was like, you don't want to do it.
Speaker 1: I go no, no.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no no no no, and it was why are you upset? And I said, because I cannot believe they picked me. It was an emphatic ya.
Speaker 1: I love that so much. I love that so much.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I think that the thing that you feel with Rosie on this podcast is her full heart being present. To be clear, I did not grow up in New York. So I'm a Mexican kid who grew up on the South Side of Chicago and all right, okay, let's go to Chicago. Salsa was not part of my growing up. I would hear it here and there, but it was not my experience that I get to New York basically nineteen seventy nineteen eighty, which is when Selsa was happening, and I got to experience because I was working at WKCR, all of the salseros coming to the station, and salsa changed my life and helped to define who I am as a Latina in the world.
Speaker 1: So I do have to ask, do you have a favorite song?
Speaker 4: Plastico?
Speaker 2: Oh, We're not surprised that Rosie's favorite song is going to be from Ruben Blades off the album and Plastico plastica.
Speaker 4: Yes anything by Ruben Blades and a shout out to the departed Willie Cologne. But that one I loved because growing up an object poverty, you know, being around so much of materialism and money is status and this and that that that song just pierced my soul, you know, where they're talking about the plastic people, and they're talking about how empty they are and the money they spend just to look a certain way. And when I was growing up, my sister could tell you I really didn't care about clothes. I really didn't. Just as long as my hair looked good, that's all I get. That's very Porto Rica. How many Porto Ricas understand me, Tony, Yeah, yeah, you see. And we were poor, and I remember going to school with holes in my shoes and feeling that shame, but I didn't care. At the same time, I had to go to school. I had a mission. I was going to be something. I was going to make something up myself. I was going to change my life. And these clothes didn't matter, and the money didn't matter, and this and that and then that song came on and as a young person hearing someone so poetic, you know, and the music was so beautiful. So that's why that's my favorite.
Speaker 2: Coming up on Let you Know Usay, we dig deeper into how Sasat shaped Rosie's activism.
Speaker 4: Fannio song when they talked about rich people in the separation of wealth in the city, all that just impacted me so deeply.
Speaker 1: Stay with us.
Speaker 5: Notes commentitas Joe est super okay, this clar okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: What is that.
Speaker 5: Here?
Speaker 3: They were recorded the podcast Connecticate, Yes and c Spragunta is your respondo the receivers to podcast est delo prometto Jombo.
Speaker 2: It's Latino Usa. I'm Maria no Josa. Today I'm in conversation with Golden Globe Emmy and Oscar nominated actress Rosie Perez. Before the break, she was telling us about how salsa shaped her as.
Speaker 1: A New York Weeken.
Speaker 2: We're going to continue my conversation now, which took place in front of a live audience in New York City at the Green Space. So the thing about salsa again, we're talking about like the golden era, like seeing the famous people performing at the salsa festivals and hearing it on the radio. Bero tamenfem right, because it was so powerful, Because it was so big, that means that things that are difficult happen. And when the team set out to tell this story, that was part of what we had to deal with, right, some of the more difficult things that came up with the birth of Salsa. I mean, there was all kinds of business issues, obviously, but also there was the question of addiction aids, marginalized Puerto Ricans in New York City, and the poverty. So what was your reaction to that, Rosie, knowing that you're going to have to share a little bit of the dirty laundry, how did that sit with you?
Speaker 4: It said very well, in the sense that in any type of storytelling, you have to tell the good, bad, and ugly, or else you're not doing the story. It's service. You know, you're doing a disservice to this storytelling. But it was hard. It was hard to read. It was hard to say because what I thought of Fania, it was all glitz and glamor and the music. And then when I heard about other issues, like you said about business issues, misogyny as well, and all these acism and the racism is I was like, oh wow, okay, But at the end of it, I just felt like, Okay, so they're human beings, you know, things happening, and through all of that mess that happening, the music was so powerful. That's what prevailed, That's what pushed through. That's what we still remember. But I still think that that had to be told as well.
Speaker 2: I love the fact that you spoke about how salsa really helped you with your New Yorrekan identity. Talk a little bit about how salsa helped you understand this connection between the island and New York City.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, being a New Yorkan, which just basically means a Puerto Rican who was born in New York and raised in New York. Majority of us are in the closet about it, and I came out a long time ago because I just got sick and tired of it. Our Spanish isn't great because it was a misguided attempt of assimilation of our parents. They were treated so poorly. The racism was so palperable that they didn't want us to struggle. So it was like English, English, English, And then you would go to the island and you're the kids would make fun of you because you couldn't speak Spanish well. So that's why when Fania All Stars came around, you know, I felt.
Speaker 1: A part of it.
Speaker 4: I felt like it was mine. You know. It was something that I could bring back to the island and say, hey, look at this, you know. And then all of a sudden, I got I became cool, you know, I became like really cool, and it was just it was pretty amazing. And like half of the people from New York that went down to the island used to lie their asses off. They would say, oh, I was at Yankee Stadium at the concert. No you weren't. You know, Oh I was at the Cheetah Club. No you weren't.
Speaker 1: Stop lying, you.
Speaker 4: Know, and you know, but that's how proud we were, you know. And then you know, people would lie and say, oh I met Willie Cologne on the subway. I said, no, you did it, you did it. But you know, a lot of times I remember allowing some of the lies just because I saw people just feel proud.
Speaker 2: So the other thing that was happening in New York around salsa was that it was deeply political. Seisa was very much related to the political activism of the time.
Speaker 1: And frankly it was protest music. It was absolutely protest music.
Speaker 2: It was played loudly on the street, and often it was a community experience, right, people would just suddenly take out the club and they'd be playing. But in specifics, what was it like for you to talk about this in the podcast and talk about the Young Lords and their relationship with salsa and the politics of salsa.
Speaker 4: There were two things that really gave birth to me becoming an activist. One was Muhammad Ali the way he stood up. You can agree with him or not, but he did stand up when he stood up with something and he paid the price for it, and he didn't back down.
Speaker 5: Negros going out.
Speaker 1: If I'm gonna die, I'll die fighting you. I'm gonna die.
Speaker 3: As a white people not be calls Chaplin's and Japanese that freedom.
Speaker 4: And for me as a little girl, that was very impactful because I love boxing. And the other thing was the Young Lord's when they hijacked an X ray truck so that the people who were ignored and marginalized and weren't getting health care in the barrio, they provided health care in the bodrio. They took over a hospital.
Speaker 1: Our plan was to take over Lincoln Hospital. Taking over the hospital.
Speaker 2: We're gonna run it.
Speaker 1: You're out and I will walk into your car.
Speaker 4: The city totally ignored Spanish Harlem in regards to picking up the trash, and it was just piling up. You thought COVID was bid. You have no idea what was going on. And these activists, and they were all college educated kids, they took the trash and they put it in the middle of the stry and they burned it.
Speaker 2: We have to begin to stand up to the people, the Puerto Rican people, and says a novel.
Speaker 4: And it was pure anarchy. And at first when you're like.
Speaker 1: What are they doing?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, no, this is bad. The garbage got picked up and it continued to get picked up. In regards to the hospital, things got improved. And you may agree or disagree with their methods, but what inspired me was their tenacity and their dedication and their follow through. And what also with Fania songs. They would talk about criminals and they wouldn't glamorize them. They would say, this is look, how pathetic, this is what are we doing as a people. When they talked about rich people and the separation of wealth in the city, all of that just impacted me so deeply. And these were people who were fearless because there was a heavy prejudice about being Latino, specifically about being Puerto Rican.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back. Hey, We're back with our live interview with Rosie pres.
Speaker 2: I want you to try to talk about a little bit more what's it like to be a young Latina in Brooklyn hearing salsa and how you made that connection to I, little Rosie understand that I can be an activist, that I can make a stand on political issues, on social justice. I am going to vote, I am going to be see myself as an organizer, an activist. Kind of make that connection because what we do know is that this very thing is also happening right now in New York City.
Speaker 1: Gets back well.
Speaker 4: I was awarded the state until my father and my aunt got me out, and I came out in abject poverty, but I was happy. But still I grew up surrounded by injustice. And there were people in my life that I saw who would fight and they would get fired or they would get pushed back or at least in that and I would see that the thing that I didn't see with the Fania all Stars. In their music was fear. I didn't see fear. I didn't hear fear. I heard well composed, un apologetic. This is how it is, and something needs to be done. And when they would get on stage, it was the same feeling. They were just so self assured and there was jubilation and fire and compassion all built in it at the same time. And then when they would step off the stage, they were still that and that's inspiring as a young person, it really is inspiring. And they were friends with the Young Lords. Ray Boretto was very That's what I learned in the podcast. I might feeling like I knew this. I didn't know it, and I'm reading it. I'm not like, oh snap, you know that he would show up for them, and they would show up for each other. But I think that it was their composed fearlessness that spoke to my heart and made my chest puffet. And when there is a scary moment in life, to stand up is terrifying, and you got to find a way because if you don't, things won't change. And you got to find your way. Not everybody has to be a loud, big mouth, not saying I am, but you know what I'm saying. Everyone could find their way, and they did. Everyone thinks that they have to be out marching in the streets. There's other ways that you could find, and I found my way.
Speaker 2: So we're going to talk about boxing a little bit, because you know I'm a boxer.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you know that I did.
Speaker 4: And I'm very excited right now. My god.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing, Rosie, unlike you who you are a boxing fanatic, you're known as Cows, the first Lady of boxing.
Speaker 1: Okay, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: My story about boxing is that in twenty fifteen, several close people to me, including my dad, were dying and Donald Trump was running for office and one of the people at my Jim said, you really should come and take our boxing class at six point thirty in the morning. I was like, crazy, people do that? Yeah, So that became me.
Speaker 1: Feels good, right, it's the best, it's the best.
Speaker 2: Talk to me about how boxing is a part of your power.
Speaker 4: It spoke to me as a kid because they're alone in the ring, but yet they have a team behind them and they're silent, but they're there. And when I started to understand what it took to even step into the ring. It was dedication and hard work and tenacity to become a champion, and that's what I wanted. And so when I learned that, like around the age of ten or eleven, about the Bible of boxing, if you will, you cannot be a champion unless you are dedicated, unless you put in the hard work. And sometimes even when you get to step into the ring, you might get knocked down. And the champions are the ones that get back up and you may take a loss. The real champions are the ones that come back again and try again and try again. And I would get knocked down continuously as a kid, and I would in my head imagine I was Ali or I would imagine I was Sugar Ray Robinson. So it was to me that's what boxing meant to me. It meant that you were by yourself, but yet you are not alone. But only you can step in the ring, and only you can in the fight, and you're gonna have to take a few punches, but if you're good at it, you're gonna avoid as many punches as possible, because the art of boxing is to hit and not get hit. And to me that was life, and it just taught me that.
Speaker 2: Okay, we have a couple of questions from our New York audience. How has claiming your new Eurekans in a professional arena changed since the beginning of your career until now?
Speaker 4: It was claimed before I even stepped into the realm of the entertainment business. And I think that's why it's allowed me to maintain my sanity, because this is a very very very difficult business to be in. Or you face rejection all the time. You face misogyny, you face racism, you face sexism, you face now ageism. But if you have a solid foundation and you understand who you are and you have a base to go to support you, that part of that's me as a new Eurekan, and that's what helps me keep going and in my activism. It's the same reason. It's the same thing being a new Eurekan. Though it presses me on because Puerto Ricans were fighters. What a new Eurekan. We're tough fighters. We are tough because we have to deal with so much on a daily basis.
Speaker 2: The question from our audience says, what would you do differently if you were starting your career today from Gerald.
Speaker 4: If I were to do it all over again. I think Spike Lee changed my life. Shout out to Spike Lee. I had no idea this wo's gonna happy. So I don't know. I don't think so much of what is. I just think of what else, what's going to help me. But if I were to start again in the entertainment industry, I would have prepared myself for the business side quicker. I mean, I got the memo. Boy did I get the memo. But I wish I would have walked in with the knowledge instead of discovering it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's wonderful. Thank you, Rosie.
Speaker 2: You know, I could stay here for a long time and we would just have so much to talk about, and then we might even get up and dance or even attempt a spar It has been so wonderful to spend some time with you.
Speaker 1: Rosie. Thank you so much for joining me on Let the USA Live here in New York City.
Speaker 4: You're a legend, and I thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Braby.
Speaker 2: That was Rosie Brett live at the Green Space in New York City. Uduro's new podcast, Our Thing, The Birth of Sansa and ro Rayota, is out now. Wherever you get your podcasts. This episode was produced by Gini Montalbo. It was edited by Marlon Bishop and it was mixed by Julia Caruso. Gernanda Chavari is our managing editor. Nancy Trujillo is our production manager. Special thanks to Piscaya, the International Satsa Museum, and the Melon Foundation. The Latino USA team also includes Roxana Aguire, Rerinaldo Lean News Junior, Stephanie Lebau, Gorri mad Marquez, Rijeta Martinelli, and Adriana Rodriguez. Bennilee Ramirez and I are executive producers. I'm your Host Maria na Posa. Latino USA is part of Iheart's Mike Urdura podcast Network. Executive producers at iHeart are Leo Gomes and Arlene Santana.
Speaker 1: Join us again on our next episode.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, I'll see you on all of our social media and don't forget, dear listener, to join Futuro Plus. You'll get to listen to everything add free Astella Proxima Chiao.
Speaker 4: Latino Usa is made possible in part the Mellon Foundation. Melon makes grants to support the visionaries and communities that unlock the power of the arts and humanities. To help connect us all. More at melon dot org. The Heising Simons Foundation Unlocking Knowledge, opportunity and possibilities. More at hsfoundation dot org and the John D. And Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation