Speaker 1: And broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe.
Speaker 2: Getty, Armstrong and Getty and Hee Armstrong and Getty Strong not live, We're not here. It's the Armstrong and Getty replay.
Speaker 3: But what we have for you is delicious a collection of some of our best stuff.
Speaker 2: You can hear more, of course on our podcast Armstrong Eddy on Demand.
Speaker 3: And hey you get through your Christmas shopping list at the Armstrong and Getdy superstore, shirts, hoodies and much more so.
Speaker 2: Now enjoy the Armstrong and Geddy replay. We talked about this a little bit earlier, but I want to get into more of the specifics because I find this really interesting. The headline sort of hides a lot of the really good stuff. The headline being that you reach your functional peak as a human later than they had previously thought. Now functional functional is what we're going to get into defining here that word as they use sixteen different dimensions. This is a serious, like university study. This is not I don't know so many studies and you should look out for this. It's fun to talk about him. So many studies that you hear that are you know it turns out, you know it's paid for by the pudding corporation, and it turns out you'd be better off eating more pudding in your life or whatever, right exactly, Just dumb stuff like that. But it turns out that people reach their functional peak in their late fifties early sixties, decades later than most people assume when you figure in all these different things. So physical strength obviously, and certain cognitive abilities like processing speed decline steadily after your mid twenties, and I think we all canna test. Yes, if you're past your mid twenties, you're aware of that, But a whole bunch of other things you get stronger at for quite some time, but they all diminish it eventually. Intelligence, personality, emotional intelligence, decision making, overall functioning continues developing through midlife, reaching its apex at around sixty years old. A twenty five year old can process information faster, hold more items in their working memory, and solve abstract reasoning problems more quickly than someone decades older. So that stuff, you're better at twenty five than you are later. And that's who was I talking to the other day. They were younger than me and they're talking about how they forget stuff now, and I said, yeah, I finally had to give in and start like leaving my self notes because I used to just I used to be very proud of I just I could remember everything I needed to do and how I was going to do it, and I just knew I was going to remember. That worked for a while and then it until it didn't. Fluid intelligence, because we were talking about working memory there, holding information in your head and all that sort of stuff, peaks around twenty five. Fluid intelligence, the ability to think on your feet and solve novel program problems, peaks at twenty and declines after that. Wow, isn't that something? Huh? Okay, that's probably good for you know a lot of your military age people and the kind of decisions they got to make really quickly on their feet and they're around twenty years old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, there's a lot to this. Yeah, other terms to understand and subtleties and the rest of Yeah.
Speaker 2: Other advantages emerge with age that younger adults haven't had time to develop. Crystallized intelligence, which is not a term i'd but it means accumulated knowledge and vocabulary obviously keeps rising well until your sixties, right that you can call it wisdom if you wanted to. Financial literacy for some reason improves into your late sixties early seventies. It goes beyond that, it goes beyond other kinds of inteligence, and that's something. Yeah, But then dig this one. Moral reasoning, because this all comes under the category of you being able to function. So some of then drop off early, some of them go later. Moral reasoning tends to rise through most of adulthood, and research indicates that it reverses very late in life. Your moral reasoning will reverse very late in life. It's all rob a bank and have an affair or what's what's that all about. I'm gonna have to ask my slaves if they agree very late in life you're a little late in life. I think I think you're just a bad person if you got slaves at this point.
Speaker 3: Well guilty, Yeah, is this thing true? I mean, it's interesting that they came up with different terms, or more specific terms for the aspects of wisdom. I'm not sure we need all of them, but it's interesting to hear it broken out. I mean, you just you have so many case studies, not only your own, but those of close friends and relatives and their experiences, and you just you're You're like a much more experienced surgeon. Yes, Michael, maybe that's why so many old people say whatever's on their mind, because they have no more moral reasoning.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Is the case of the efforts the same as moral reasoning, yeah, or you know, combines in some cases. But yeah, well, Katie and I were talking earlier when you were gone. Just some of this stuff really flies in the face of why do we have eighty year olds running the country? Oh? On some of these, some of these, but right.
Speaker 3: I got a bunch of old guys running the country, and their financial literacy appears to be there is none.
Speaker 2: Emotional intelligence climbs through midlife before tapering off. Based on research comparing age groups older adults, this is a financial one. I guess older adults are about twice as likely as younger adults to avoid the sunk cost fallacy, the habit of throwing good money after bad twice as likely at like sixty as you would be at thirty. Of understanding, now you know this turned out to be a bad idea. Let's just move on, as opposed to well, we've come this far, we better keep spending more money, right, Yeah, Yeah, I would agree.
Speaker 3: Again, it's a question of having lived through that sort of thing a couple of times and realizing, Okay, this is really disappointing, but we have to admit it's a loser and move on.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's interesting that they separate out financial intelligence, where it might just be all wisdom there, it's just accumulated knowledge and personality also matures with age. Conscientiousness and emotional stability, which are the two traits that are most strongly linked to career success and life satisfaction according to this study. I have to say that again. So the two traits most strongly linked to career success and life satisfaction. Which I don't know about you, but having a satisfying life is way up on my list of priorities.
Speaker 3: Who's ass you kiss? That's the most important thing. It's not who you know, it's who you beep.
Speaker 2: Wow, Conscientiousness and emotional stability are the two traits you need for life satisfaction. That makes sense. But both increase from early adulthood well into your fifties and sixties, so that's good. Researchers waited these various dimensions and created a composite intex tracking overall functioning and overall functioning peaks between fifty five and sixty with clear declines emerging about sixty five to seventy. So I got a few years left before, I mean, because I'm barely functioning now, I got a few really chairs left before it really starts to crash. Pressure. You don't You don't get much time to enjoy your peak, do you know? Well, we're not designed to live past that, right, Really conscientiousness and emotional what was it? Stability? Stability? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Can that be translated as being beaten down or emotional stability? I'm fine, I've been kicked before. Well, there, it is true you get emotional stability.
Speaker 2: But I remember, God, quite a few years ago, I was proud of some reaction I had to something, and you you said, it's just because you have lower testosterolully admit that, which took all the fun out of it. But there is you do also gain emotional stability. Don't you think it isn't just low tea because of Again, because you've been through these situations before, this isn't the first time you've had a boss shoot off about something dumb or whatever situation are you, you get something in the mail from the tax board that's going to be a pain in the ass. It's not the first time any of these things have happens. You don't quite get as crazy.
Speaker 3: Well please if anybody disagrees with this, By the time you're playing in your third Super Bowl, you're focused on the game.
Speaker 2: You're focused on doing your job and a way you can't be the first time. As example, Or think about raising kids, the second kid versus the first kid. I mean, think about shir Yeah, the just the you know, the first time your first kid falls down and binks their head versus when you get into the second kid. Yeah, they're out there, they're fine.
Speaker 3: Getting back to the testosterone thing, though, what what you need to remember, I think, or maybe you don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know, is that.
Speaker 3: Virtually everything we think, everything we do, is chemicals slashing around in our brain and the spark of the divine. But and I believe in free will. I believe we have a certain amount of control over how we're going to react, and you work to develop that. But I mean, yeah, so of course different levels of different chemicals is going to affect the way you approach life.
Speaker 2: That's it's it's obvious, it has to be. Well, yeah, I'm just trying to claim that any any growth I've had is not all because I have Lord tip thoughts. Oh no, no, not at all. I would never say credit for some growth.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that that discretionary part I was talking about that absolutely grows because you've gone through it once when you lost your head. You've gone through it another time where you didn't lose your head, and you're thinking, yeah, I'm staying calm again this time. Yeah, and then when he leaves for the day, I'll take a poop on his.
Speaker 2: Desk and whatever it takes. Vengeance. Vengeance is fine. A little sugar in the gas tank take care of that probably, Yeah, served cold, right, you know what I'm saying. Huh, good luck breaking down in the freeway on the that's way you hand it. When you get older. The fact that you're like super quick thinking cognitive reasoning drops after twenty Wow, that's early in life. Yeah, yeah, so kind of wrapping enough studies. Studies cited by the authors show that people typically earn their highest salaries and reach peak occupational prestige between fifty and fifty five. It's not just because you've been around the company for a long time or blah blah blah. It's actually when you've got the most accumulated knowledge and emotional stability and all those sorts of things. Yeah, and shirt, you're most likely to do a good job at it. Yeah, exactly. Now, the fact, as it says here that the leaders of many political countries are in their seventies or eighties is not Yeah, these are all averages though, of course, I mean just flat out on the face of it. Obviously, Donald Trump's brain is different than Joe Biden's brain, absolutely true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it strikes me that in a lot of your tech industries, for instance, your your tech companies, they're run by wunderkins, these these young phenoms who are not fifty five years old, when they have their greatest success. Is that because there is no accumulated knowledge to be had in.
Speaker 2: Their fields specific to that field.
Speaker 3: I mean, management is management, dealing with people is dealing with people. But maybe energy and willingness to work eighty hours a week and not being tied to any sort of quote unquote accumulated wisdom, maybe that explains it.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean because you'd think it.
Speaker 3: Sam Altman, for instance, would hire a gray haired CEO and say, I'll just worry about the innovation stuff. You run the company. But that's not the way it goes. The fifty five year old CEO would say, what are we doing? What's the point of this?
Speaker 5: What is this?
Speaker 3: I keep telling you it's AI AI artificial intelligence.
Speaker 2: All right, robots. The fact that my moral compass may go south on me and my old age, that's got me, uh concerned. I wonder what sort of high jinks I'll be up to? How bad could it get?
Speaker 1: The Armstrong and Getty Show or Jack your Joe podcasts and our hot links Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 5: A sheriff's officer in Indiana went into an elementary school to jokingly hand out tickets to students using the phrase six seven. Everyone had a good laugh, and he pulled out his gun and said, now tell me what it means.
Speaker 2: That is a dark joke, but a funny one. Oh I'm funny. You have to have the cops come to the school hanging out tickets for saying six to seven.
Speaker 3: That's pretty funny. Yeah, yeah, good stuff. They are calling it mar A Lago face Jack. Since January, plastic surgeries in DC have seen a wave of Trump insiders and would be insiders asking for overt procedures in line with what they're calling the mara A Lago face look for the longest time instic surgery.
Speaker 2: Mar A Lago the club where Trump lives down in Florida. Yes, yes, that would that's the one.
Speaker 3: Yes. Most plastic surgeons in Washington, d C, like other places, have long gone with the nobody's sure you had anything done, You just look good?
Speaker 2: Look well, uh.
Speaker 3: The President Trump is all in on aesthetics and Boulder is always better and so uh. People in the inner circle and those who would be again are embracing a maximalist ethos when it comes to their look. Plastic surgeon Troy Pittman is big in DC, I guess works with a lot of Trump insiders. We're quote, we're seeing people want to look like they've had something done.
Speaker 2: He says. I suppose that the logical next step, and it doesn't have to be about mar A Lago. Maybe that's what's been going on in Hollywood all these years, and I didn't get it because I was as I was saying, how's nobody told you that you took it too far? Well, I suppose that when it's been around for decades at some point the next logical iteration is you want to look like you've had work done because it makes you a certain sort of person.
Speaker 3: While all the school beltweers tend to be hashage about their tune ups, the Palm Beach crowds all systems go, says doctor Pittman. Fillers are big with this crew, especially lips as are botox in disport, which I don't even know about.
Speaker 2: Let's see a different DC.
Speaker 3: Politopastic platic surgeon says she's actually turned down a bunch of people who want that because she just doesn't do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't this all make sense to me. People like me who've never had that done, and run around with people who've never had that done. We've been wrong all along. They're not trying to fool us. They want to.
Speaker 5: They want to.
Speaker 2: They want a big statement that says I get work done.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well you're you're half right that, as Nelly Bowls writes in the Free Press, the director of his Bigger Lips doc and Eyes that Never Shut so it's not to miss a thing. Tarantula lashes charcoal, smear it on your lids. Everyone dresses to please the king, even if the royal aesthetic is if Poltergeist were an escort anyway. But then this other DC plastic surgeon who does subtle stuff says.
Speaker 2: That these people.
Speaker 3: Want extra fillers and injections on top of already treated faces, which can be dangerous. She says it's a situation she calls filler blind. If you add more and more product to your face and are surrounded by people who do the same, you lose sight of anatomic normalcy. Clearly that is true. So no, they don't want you to know it necessarily. They've just completely lost track of what's normal and what looks good.
Speaker 2: Man. If I could get a little something done without anybody noticing that, I would absolutely do it.
Speaker 3: The fellas are in line too, Jack looking for a botox liposuction and the suction and eyelid rejuvenation. It's Pete Hegsat's Washington. Now you got a young fit and.
Speaker 4: Hands, Jack Armstrong and Joe The Armstrong and Getty Show, The Armstrong and Getdy Show.
Speaker 6: Wikipedia said that traffic to their site is falling because people are using AI instead, and AI said the same thing slightly reworded it inside of them as a source.
Speaker 2: It's pretty clever, actually, that's pretty clear. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the way we see our jobs around here, speaking for myself is yeah, we bring you news of the day and our thoughts, but we're also curators of you know, ideas. I that's the most fun part of the job for me is reading all day long and trying to find the best ideas and bring them to you. Sometimes there are sometimes they're not. And I came across that's the way you describe our jobs.
Speaker 2: I'm more of a lavishly paid to blather on barely knowing what I'm talking about. Oh that's your special charm.
Speaker 3: I came across this great piece by author Helen Andrews, and a number of our more student listeners have centered along saying in sn OMG, have you guys seen this? And it's a little longer than something we would generally read to you, but it is so good and I think so important it's worth it. It's entitled The Great Feminization. And here's a disclaimer real quickly, because, as you know, a happily married guy who I love and respect my wife.
Speaker 2: I have two daughters. My mom is a saint. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Women in women, womanhood are essential to the functioning of mankind. I am a great believer in balance. People who ask me about politics, I always tell them, Look, I'm a really conservative conservative, but I believe we need navy seales and poets for society to work. For the world to work, we need men and women, the masculine, the effeminate. That's the way we're made by God or creation or whatever.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 3: Having said that, the great feminization Helen Andrews and Jack obviously dive in whenever you want. In twenty nineteen, she writes, I read an article about Larry Summers and Harvard that change the way I look at the world. The author argued that the day Larry Summers resigned as president of Harvard University marked a turning point in our culture. We entire a lot at the time. Oh yeah, the entire and she explains exactly what happened. If you're trying to remember what happened, the entire woke era could be extrapolated from that moment. From the details of how Summers was canceled and most of all who did the canceling women. The basic facts of the Summer's case are familiar. January fourteenth, twenty oh five, at a conference on diversifying the science and engineering workforce, Larry Summers gave a talk that was supposed to be off the record. In it, he said that female under representation and hard sciences was partly due to quote different availability of aptitude at the high end, as well as taste difference as preferences between men and women not attributable to socialization, meaning dudes just tend to xxct. Some female professors and attendants were offended and sent his remarks to a reporter in defiance of the off the record rule. The ensuing scandal led to a no confidence vote by the Harvard faculty and eventually Summer's resignation. The essay argued that it wasn't just that women had canceled the president of Harvard. It was that they'd canceled him in a very feminine way. They made emotional appeals rather than logical arguments.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 3: When he started talking about innate differences and aptitudes between men and women, I just couldn't breathe, because this kind of bias makes.
Speaker 2: Me physically ill.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, said Nancy Hopkins, a biologist at MIT. Summers made a public statement clarifying his remarks, and then another, and then a third, with the apology more insistent each time. Experts chimed in to declare that everything Somers had said about sex differences was within the scientific mainstream. These rational appeals had no effect on the mob hysteria. This cancelation was feminine, the essay argued, because all cancelations are feminine. Cancel culture is simply what women do when there are enough of them in a given organization or field. That is the great feminization thesis, which the same author later elaborated on at book length. Everything you think of as wokeness is simply an epiphenomenon of demographic feminization.
Speaker 2: I like where this is. I like where this is going.
Speaker 3: The explanatory power of this simple thesis was incredible. It really did unlock the secrets of the era we were living in. Here's the point I disagree with. Wokeness is not a new ideology, an outgrowth of Marxism, or a result of post Obama disillusionment. It is simply feminine patterns of behavior applied to institutions where women were few in number until recently.
Speaker 2: How did I not see it before?
Speaker 3: My disagreement with the Marxism point is that Michelle Foucaut, who's really the godfather of critical theory and neo Marxism, he understood human nature and he understood how making an emotional moral argument could get people to ignore facts. That's why they're so intent on getting you to say a man can give birth to a baby. Because if you can be pried away from logic and rely on pure emotion and what the crowd says you should say, then they've gotcha. So this is not divorced from Marxism, it's just another layer of it. But anyway, on with the essay, let's see. Then she mentions a couple of firsts people think about the feminization of like the first woman to attend law school in eighteen sixty nine, first woman to argue before the Supreme Court in eighteen eighty, first female Supreme Court justice nineteen eighty one. But she says a much more important tipping point is when law schools became majority female, which occurred in twenty sixteen, or when law firms associated became majority female, which occurred in twenty twenty three, when Sandrade O'Connor was appointed to the High Court, only five percent of judges were female. Today, women are thirty three percent of the judges in America and sixty three percent of the judges appointed by President Biden sixty three percent. The same trajectory can be seen in many professions, pioneering generations women in the sixties and seventies, increasing female representative representation through the eighties and nineties, and gender par parody finally arriving in twenty tens or twenty twenties. For instance, in nineteen seventy four or only ten percent of New York Times reporters were female. The New York Times staff became majority female in twenty eighteen, and today the female share is fifty five percent. Medical schools became majority female in twenty nineteen. Women became a majority of the college educated workforce nationwide. In twenty nineteen, women became a majority of college instructors in twenty twenty three. Women are not yet a majority of the managers in America, but they might be soon. They're now forty six percent. So the timing fits Wokeness arose around the same time that many important institutions tip tip demographically from majority male to majority female. All right, so what you're saying, here's here's what she means. The substance fits too. Everything you think of wokeness involves prioritizing the feminine over the masculine, empathy over rationality, safety over risk, cohesion over competition. Give you a second to absorb that. One hundred percent right, one hundred percent right, and one hundred percent right. Those are all real interesting. Other writers have proposed their own versions of the great feminization. She drops a few names who looked at feminization's effect on academia, offers survey data showing sex differences in political values. One survey, for instance, found that seventy one percent of men said protecting free speech was more important than preserving a cohesive society. Whatever that means seventy one percent of men, sixty percent of women said the opposite.
Speaker 2: That doesn't surprise me, and as a for some reason, it popped into my head. You was talking about how when women got involved in youth sports, how it changed. Then we got uniforms at every age, and lots of team pictures and lots of ceremonies ceremonies and stuff. Yeah, yeah, anyway.
Speaker 3: And then she issues a disclaimer, which probably isn't necessary. But the most relevant differences are not about individuals but about groups. Yes, an individual woman might be taller than an individual man, but a group of ten random women is very unlikely to have an average height greater than that of ten men. The larger the group of the people, the more likely it is to conform to statistical averages. So again, you independent thinking, free speech loving women out there, it's not about you. It's not about individuals, it's about in large groups, tendencies become more and more true.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 3: The female group dynamics favor consensus and cooperation. Men order each other around, but women can only suggest and persuade. Any criticism or negative sentiment if it is absolutely to be expressed, needs to be buried in layers of compliments. The outcome of a discussion is less important than the fact that a discussion was held and everyone participated in it. The most important sex difference. The most important sex difference in group dynamics is attitude to conflict. In short, men wage conflict openly, while women covertly undermine or ostracize their enemies. Any ladies like to disagree with that, Katie, feel free to jump.
Speaker 2: In if you like. Okay, do women that ostracize their enemies as opposed to confronting them openly and saying, hey, we have a problem. We need to settle this. Yeah, without a doubt.
Speaker 3: Barry Weiss, in her letter of resignation from The New York Times, described how colleagues referred to her in internal slack messages as a racist, a nazi, and a bigot.
Speaker 2: And this is the most feminine part quote.
Speaker 3: Colleagues perceived to be friendly with me were badgered by coworkers.
Speaker 2: Oh, she said, he resignation. Wow.
Speaker 3: Weiss wants asked a colleague at the Times opinion desk to get coffee with her. This journalist, a biracial woman who wrote frequently about race, refused to meet. This was a failure to meet the basic standards of professionalism, obviously. It was also very feminine. Men tend to be better at compartmentalizing than women, and wokeness was in many ways a society wide failure to compartmentalize. Listen to this. This is another blockbuster point. Traditionally, an individual doctor might have opinions on the political issues the day, but he would regard it as his professional duty to keep those opinions out of the examination room. Now that medicine has become more feminized, doctors wear pins and lanyards expressing views on controversial issues, from gay rights to gaza. They even bring the credibility of their profession to bear on political fads, as when doctors said Black Lives Matter protests could continue in violation of COVID lockdowns because racism was a public health emergency.
Speaker 2: You're nodding your head, Gati. You've been in a hospital situations a lot more than us lately. You've seen that.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I've seen it. You know the little lanyards where they it's like their key to the doors. They all have the different little trinkets with you know, rainbows, and I saw Palestinian flag recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dudes wouldn't have done that.
Speaker 3: Now, one more note and then we will take a break. One book that helped me put together the pieces was Warriors and Warriors The Survival of the Sexes by psychology professor Joyce Beninson. Practically all of the scientists cite in this article are women. By the way, it's worth pointing out I think she theorizes that men developed dynamics optimized for war, while women developed group dynamics optimized for protecting their offspring. These habits, formed in the mists of prehistory, explain why experimenters in modern psychology labs in a study the Barons and Sites observe that a group of men given a task will quote, jockey for talking time, disagree loudly, and then cheerfully relate a solution to the experimenter. A group of women given the same task will quote politely, inquire about one another's personal background and relationships, accompanied by much eye contact, smiling, and turn taking, and pay quote little attention to the task that the experimenter presented. The point of war is to settle disputes between two tribes, but it only works if peace is restored after the dispute is settled. Men therefore develop methods for reconciling with the proonent opponents, and learning to live in.
Speaker 2: Peace with people they were fighting yesterday.
Speaker 3: Females, even in primate species, are slower to reconcile than males. That is because because women's conflicts were traditionally within the tribe over scarce resources to be resolved not by open conflict, but by covert competition with rivals with no clear end. All of these observations match my observations of wokeness, but soon the happy thrill of discovering a new theory eventually gave way to a sinking feeling. If wokeness really is the result of the Great feminization, then the eruption of insanity in twenty twenty was just a small taste of what the future holds. Imagine what will happen is the remaining men age out of these society shaping professions and the younger, more feminized generations take full control.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm always saying that when we're all dead who remember them before times, there won't be anybody around to say, hey, it didn't used to be like this.
Speaker 1: The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 4: Yeah more Jack your show.
Speaker 1: Podcasts and our hot lakes.
Speaker 4: The Armstrong and Yetty Show.
Speaker 3: So perhaps you would like to leave a flaming bag of dog experiments on your neighbor front porch, but you lack such an item. You could go with Randy Weingarten's new book instead, Why Fascists Fear Teachers, Public Education, and the Future of Democracy. If there was ever a flaming bag of dog crap sold as a book. This is it Why fascists fear teachers? Who are these fascists? We'll get to that in a moment. So obviously the title is designed to be eye catching and attract readers, but by now, as this review puts it, the word fascist is thrown around routinely. The book's title, Public Education the Future Democracy is more significant deceptive. The book's purported intention is to argue for public school's crucial role in our democratic society, but it offers very little in the way of education policy or ideas that would truly benefit teachers or God forbids students.
Speaker 2: The random aim, yes, Randy Weingarten played the major role in keeping the schools closed during the pandemic, for instance, Yeah, I'm sorry, the American Federation of Teachers president for years and years and years. The real aim is made clear.
Speaker 3: It devotes most of its pages to attacking her political opponents, especially especially supporters of school choice, and defending the interests of the American Federation.
Speaker 2: Of Teachers, her big rich union.
Speaker 3: She starts out claiming ninety percent of American kids attend public schools. Not so fast, it was a little over eighty one percent four years ago at the beginning of COVID. So and that's before the expansion of universal school choice in states like Texas and New Hampshire. Half of American children now have access to school choice. So the number is far far lower than the ninety percent she claims. So it's appropriate the book would start off with lies.
Speaker 2: As it continues.
Speaker 3: In that vein, Winingarden characterizes the school choice movement as a conspiracy organized by Christopher Rufo, Moms for Liberty, and other hard right wing activists. Quote a plot to destroy public education. Yeah, I'd be all for that based on where it right now, you know, honestly, Yeah, I see your point. The real drivers of the choice movement, they point out, however, her parents like Virginia olden Ford, a black, low income other in Washington, DC who grew frustrated watching her sons struggle in public school and help create the DC Opportunity Scholarship Program, the nation's first federally funded voucher initiative. But yeah, she's a conspiracy Not sure, Randy, let's see Winngartan also insists that vouchers are devised by whites to undermine desegregation. Oh, it's racism, probably systemic racism. This isn't just wrong, it gets the history completely backward. In fact, some teachers' unions fought against vouchers because they facilitated integration. Wygarten claims she is quote willing to work with anyone who wants to actually address the problems facing our public schools, but she refuses to engage with school choice advocates who propose concrete and constructive options for students underserved by traditional school districts. Then she denigrates religious schools whose very purpose is in doctrination, that's a quote. This animus causes her to overlook the many advantages of faith based education, such as the Catholic school effect, which has been demonstrated to benefit disadvantage minority students in particular, has to do with high expectations and discipline and that sort of thing. The biggest deception in Windgarten's book is her portrayal of her role Jackie loved this during the pandemic, I quote I led the AFT in developing a concrete plan to reopen schools as quickly and safely as possible. When, of course, Winegotten and her union colleagues kept children American children out of schools until the government approved her request for a seven hundred and fifty billion dollar federal age package federal aid package to feather their nest and hire more administrations and more union members. Unbelievable. The book is primarily an attempt to rehabilitate Winegarten's image after she backed the longest school closures in American history, which yielded the largest drop in student performance ever recorded.
Speaker 2: Not to mention the emotional turmoil.
Speaker 3: And she mentions the Aforah mentioned fascists like ourselves in her title replace facts and critical thinking with propaganda that romanticizes the nation's past. No, absolutely obscene. You know, I gotta apologize to flaming bags of dog crap comparing them.
Speaker 2: To this book. It's insulting. Yeah, that's really maddening. I mean, we've talked about this a lot, and I hate her so much. Do you think she actually believes she's doing the right thing for kids or did she abandon that a long time ago. I don't. She couldn't. There's no way. There's no way she possibly thought keeping the schools closed was the best thing for the kids. Not a chance she actually believed that.
Speaker 3: Now unless her own evil in her need to you know, explain it has perverted her own mind to the point that she can't recognize truth. She's like, oh, J Simpson who thought he didn't kill his wife?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what a horrifying human being.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Armstrong and Getty