Speaker 1: This is the Almost Famous podcast with iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: All Right, guys, welcome back to Almost Famous to Og, a brand new episode with me, Bob Guiney, and of course, the beautiful and talented and shocking Trista Sutter, who has just taken me down a path. I had no idea I was going to go on tonight. Trista, this is like the biggest breaking news. It's Almost Famous to Og. Yes, we always have great topics, but this time Trista is not only talking about a show, She's actually on the show Special Forces. You're the third round, the third season the Special Forces. You got a long lineage of Bachelor Nation people who have won this thing season one and season two, and you're stepping into the fray with your own season here with you and Ali Mano nay Fetty's Houski Petitowski. I've never used it for anyone else except Tris to Sutter nay run I don't even know if it worked for somebody else, but this is awesome, Like, honest to god, you got to get us into the dirt of this thing, like I mean, you know, are you and Ali like getting your nails done the day before the show?
Speaker 3: Going this is good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly right, That's exactly what we were doing.
Speaker 4: No, and we just we couldn't stop our conversation, so we just had to.
Speaker 1: To chat a little longer. So wanted to do two episodes for the people.
Speaker 3: Love it. Give the people what they want. You know what I'm saying, you want, they want it. I'm going to tell you right now, I'm gonna drive.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna drive ratings myself because I'm not gonna be able to stop. I'm gonna be like coffee talking this thing every day. I'm so fire up, I really am. I don't know what makes me so excited about this. I think it's just because I've known you for so long and I just this is so out of left field for me to hear that you're doing this. But also, I think secretly also I'm so excited to see what you go.
Speaker 3: Through and how you go through it, and you know, God, it's going to be amazing.
Speaker 1: It's pretty cool. Okay, So what you got for me?
Speaker 3: Who else is on the cast?
Speaker 4: So me? Ali, Cam and Golden we've talked about them, and then Christy Carlson Romano was She's a Disney a Disney actress.
Speaker 1: Kim possible possible, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: So I love her. We definitely bonded. There's Kyla Pratt, who was also a Disney is a Disney actress. There's Kayla Nicole. She dated Travis Kelce before Taylor Swift and so he's a commentator and an influencer and a model. And Alana Blanchard who is a professional surfer, and I just I justmed her earlier.
Speaker 1: I just saw her because we can.
Speaker 4: We weren't supposed to follow each other, okay on social media. Yeah, so so we could follow each other once the announcement happened, and that was this week, so I started following it everybody. And her story popped up today of her at the beach. She's a surfer, like, she's at the beach all the time, and she always I will not always, I look back on her things, but this story pops up and her butt is like, you know, front and center in this story, and I was like, I literally wrote her a DM and said best Butt Award goes to dot dot.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, let me let me read this announcer real quick.
Speaker 2: So it says Trista Sutter, Denise Richards, and Steven Baldwin are among the new recruits and celebrities who push themselves through the limits. They announce the Innaugurl Bachelorette, The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. Alum and the actor will be joining season three of Special Forces World Toughest Tests. Nathan Adrian Olympic swimming gold medalist, pro surfer, a lot of blocherd pro soccer player Landon Donovan, motocross champion Carrie Hart, thank you, d G personality Brody Jenner, and Olympics shreck and field athlete Marion Jones.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Marion, I love Marion.
Speaker 3: You're on there with some some serious athletes and.
Speaker 1: Jordan Olympic gymnast. Yeah. Who else? I feel like I'm forgetting one.
Speaker 2: There's you got Ali Man, NFL pro bowler, Cam Newton, influencer, influencer Cale and Nicole Proper family, Kyla Yep, Kyla Pratt, even Stevens starring actress Christy Carlson, Romand's Super Bowl champion Golden Date and Olympian gymnastics school medalist Jordan Weber. That is, I mean, there's not a slouch in the bunch. Everybody that they're talking about is pretty athletic. I mean that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, all these Olympic athletes and then there's.
Speaker 2: No well your press picture you look like you could kick some ass. I mean you got this, you know, you looking tough.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I like it.
Speaker 4: Literally.
Speaker 1: That photoshoot was so First of all, it was gorgeous.
Speaker 4: The scenery around me that day, it was so beautiful, and we got so lucky with the weather.
Speaker 1: It was supposed to be like a rainy season. It was not rainy. Well it wasn't raining every day like I thought it was going to.
Speaker 4: But we are in this gorgeous scenery and I was having the best time. So it's funny that that picture. You know, of course they are going to pick like the more serious pictures they have you doing that, but I am so glad they didn't pick the pictures. So they had us scream like at the top of our lungs. They the photographer asked, like, we weren't doing this together.
Speaker 1: It was all individual. We didn't know who was on the show.
Speaker 4: So we are all individual and we're out in the middle of nowhere in like you know, sheepland And yes.
Speaker 1: It was so gorgeous.
Speaker 4: And they asked us to scream, and they took pictures of us while we're screaming. So think of yourself when you're screaming.
Speaker 3: You're like, you're not going.
Speaker 4: And they're like, don't just scream like pretty, Like you need to scream like angry or whatever. So I'm so glad that they didn't use those pictures. I haven't seen them, but I'm so glad.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: But it talks about here.
Speaker 2: It says that you train in whales and you endure the harsh reality of ocean warfare.
Speaker 3: So I'm assuming that's when they throw you off the boat.
Speaker 2: A high pressure hostage rescue, a treacherous ladder crossing between Steve Cliffs. Steve Cliff thing are one hundred feet above the sea, A boat dunk drill, will you be, submersion of the frigid ocean, A surf immersion where they'll have to control their panic and exercise.
Speaker 3: It takes them to the brink of drowning. Wow.
Speaker 2: No, there are no votes, no eliminations, just survival. And you guys are so used to being on the spotlight you quickly learn the meaning. And no guts, no glory, and no glam.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Oh, my god, I'm so excited about this idea, like, this is going to blow my mind.
Speaker 3: Beaver's father in law is involved in the show.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Oh my god, yesy Hailey Baber's daddy.
Speaker 3: Yes. Wow.
Speaker 4: My daughter actually in particularly was really excited about him because she's like, wait.
Speaker 3: What I'm.
Speaker 2: You know, good Haley and justin show up. I'm thinking, so show Steven some love. Maybe Alex shows up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe, who knows?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, good it was.
Speaker 1: It's a great cast actually yeah.
Speaker 4: And it's funny because in the hotel, so we're all sequestered in this hotel in Wales before we get started, and I had a window out to like a right above where you walk in the front door into the lobby of the hotel. And the day that everyone was arriving because we were we were actually in Richmond before that. Richmond is where ted Lasso was filmed, which was the most fun thing to me. So I did not put two and two together that I was going to the Ted Lasso Richmond. Right. So I am in Richmond and I'm walking around because they say you can go walk around whatever, So I'm walking around Richmond. I'm kind of following people because there's tons of people walking around, kind of following people, and all of a sudden, I'm on this street and I look up and Ted Lasso's face is in this store, and I was like, wait, why is Ted Lasso's face in that store and in that store? And I look up and it's his freaking street where like his apartment was. It was my street.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I love. It's one of my all time favorites.
Speaker 4: Right, So that's roam around Richmond, which was so much fun and actually adventure a little bit in London. And so we anyway, everyone's moving to Wales from Richmond, and I'm kind of like watching out my window because you have to stay in your room, right unless you like get approval to go out for a walk or whatever. And I remember seeing two people. It was Christy Carlson Romano and Kayla Nicole and I hadn't watched Kim Possible, so I didn't know who she was, and then I didn't know who Kayla was until we get on the show and until we're filming and I saw both of them, and I'm thinking to myself, oh my gosh, who are these people and are they going to be my new besties. You know, it is so much fun because you go into it not having a clue.
Speaker 3: I love your quote.
Speaker 2: I love you saying you know, I've been in situations where I just this is this is heard, this is you, the devil on my shoulders, going you can't do this, and I'm just trying to believe in the Angel.
Speaker 3: It's telling me that you can. I love that.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I can imagine there's a lot of that.
Speaker 4: Jason Carbone reached out to me and he's like, he said something about the angel and the devil too. Yeah, but honestly, I didn't like I was just like kind of speaking from the heart, you know, I kind of know I felt, you know, I was picturing this little devil on my shoulder and the angel on my shoulder and the fights that are going on between them, and you know, with me in between the devil and the angel.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's that level of that level of you know, when it's something that you've done before in your life, you you build up confidence in the fact that it's going to be something that you'll succeed at or or whatever. But when it's something that you've never done, that that that unknown the fear of the unknown. I think would have the angel and the devil kind of going back and forth in every step of this thing. Like I'm sure it wasn't just right before we started filming you felt that way, especially like every day you're like, holy shit, am I gonna Am I going to die today? Like I mean, obviously, I'm sure they're prepared to save me, but you know, do I want to be the dude like throwing up a crying or the lady throwing up a crying on the show.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you don't. So it's like, how do you get through that? And how do you wrestle with those emotions? And how do you prepare for this?
Speaker 2: Like when you decided that you were going to make the conscious step to move forward with this, did you all of a sudden start going into like a training regimen so that you'd be prepared for whatever was going to be coming your way?
Speaker 3: And how would you even know what's coming your way?
Speaker 4: They give you, like they give you training things to do like pull ups and push ups, and really they basically tell you, like just focus on those kind of basics like running. I actually called Hannah Brown and asked her if she enjoyed it. Yeah, because if she if she won and she was like I hate it every minute, then I would have been like, Okay, maybe this is the show for me. But she said, you know, this is an incredible opportunity. Her biggest tip was to start hiking and running. Listen, I have never ever been a runner in my life ever, ever, And that was hard for me because in between the challenges, you're running from place to place.
Speaker 1: It's not like they're like, Okay, we're going to park the jeep and let's go for a little hike.
Speaker 4: You know, like you are running and not only running, but you're carrying a pack. Yes yeah, oh uh, your rock and you are you have to weigh it, so they have you add sand to your bag to make sure. I think it was thirty five pounds or something like that. Bob, that's a third of my weight. D Yeah, you know, something like that.
Speaker 1: So I was hearing this rock that I that was.
Speaker 4: That was a humungous challenge for me, humongous So looking back, I wish that I would have done. I did train with like I would go on hikes. They send you your boots, your military boots in advance so you can train and kind of break them in. And I wish that I had done more running because I went like for runs in my neighborhood and obviously I live in Colorado and our neighborhood is hilly, and so it was that was good preparation.
Speaker 1: But my I would use a weighted best.
Speaker 4: Kind of wish I would have, uh, you know, just used a backpack, you know, for even more.
Speaker 2: To have to be that has to be so awkward because all that weight is behind you and your yeah, by pushing you forward, I would think.
Speaker 1: And yeah, totally, but yes I did. I did run.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 1: Try to do pull ups. Lord, I they are hard.
Speaker 2: I've never been a big well, I've never been a big pull up guy. Like the second you said that, I'm like, oh, I'm out lodess.
Speaker 1: They actually have you, like they test.
Speaker 4: They send you these things that you need to to do and fill out prior to give them an idea of like where you're at physically, Like you had to do however many sit ups you can do and like I don't know, it's like thirty seconds or a minute or something, how many pull ups you can do in a minute You're like your mile run or whatever, like those kind of basics, and you know, I was proud of myself for where it was. But it's like it's a whole other level when you're you know, real life compared to Special Forces.
Speaker 2: You know, there's no yeah, you're probably already exhausted for you know, treading water for two hours and now they're like, okay, I eat ten pull ups and you know, yeah, seventy five push ups and you're just like, you know, your arms are already falling off.
Speaker 4: I can only imagine right well in swimming too, So knowing that we were going to be over in Wales scared me a little bit because I am scared of open water and and I used to be a swimmer, like when I was young, you know, I was on a swim team or whatever, and I used to love swimming.
Speaker 1: I did go like they have to, They ask you for video, they to share.
Speaker 4: Of whether or not you can swim the length of a pool. And so I had to go to you know, my rec center, and swimming is not something that I I did a lot. I do a lot of in this time of my life. But went to the went to the gym and swam and I actually felt really, really good about the water part of it, So that was that was actually surprising to me because I am fearful.
Speaker 1: That is one of my biggest fears. It's open water, just like fish and whatever.
Speaker 4: But I think because you're so like laser focused on like the task at hand, that I didn't have time to be scared of anyone else except for the people who are like yelling at me.
Speaker 2: And I'm like like, oh my god, I could you imagine get like a boot camp guy in your face? And She's like, yeah, that wouldn't You wouldn't do well with that. I'm like, I don't think I would, but I think I would because I'd be like wanting.
Speaker 3: To please them. I don't know, I don't know why i'd be doing you know, you want them to be proud.
Speaker 1: Theory.
Speaker 4: I have a theory on why they do it, and I'm actually interested to see if they're going to be here so I can ask them. But my theory is they yell at people. And this is across the board from military, right, so like for people who go into the military, I feel like they do it because and I could be totally wrong, please, I'm not a military expert, but I think that they do it because they're acting like that devil on your shoulder, and they know that you're going to say these things to yourself, So if someone else is saying them to you, then you can try to prove them wrong.
Speaker 1: Right, So if someone else says.
Speaker 4: It to me, I'm like, well, screw off, Like, I'm going to prove you wrong, and I'm going to do exactly what you think I can't do.
Speaker 2: It's even five minutes ago you were saying the same thing, like I can't do this, there's no way. Yeah, if it's coming.
Speaker 4: From inside your head, it's one thing, like you're going to fight yourself because that devil and the angel are going to fight that they're going to battle, right, But if someone else is saying it to you, like, you're going to be like, well, screw off, like I'm going to prove you wrong.
Speaker 1: So that's my theory on why I like that.
Speaker 2: I think it's very very possible. I mean, I've always heard that in the military. You know, the whole approach of that that boot camp mentality was to break people's individuality down a little bit, remold them with the characteristics that they feel would best serve the team environment that they need to build, you know, and so I think I think what you're saying, actually it really as a parallel to that, Like it's the same thing.
Speaker 3: Like the only way you can break somebody down is to get in their.
Speaker 2: Head and reinforce everything that they've ever doubted about themselves and then help them turn the corner and prove themselves wrong. And now they believe in you, and they believe in themselves, and they believe in their team. And I don't know, I'm getting all emotional about this right now, like ready to cry.
Speaker 3: I can't wait. What are we?
Speaker 2: What is this thing?
Speaker 3: Premiering?
Speaker 2: Well, Wednesday, January eighth at eight pm, Okay January, Yeah, I'm taking that day off of work.
Speaker 3: I think I'm gonna be ready.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm trying.
Speaker 4: Like I actually talked to Christy Carlson Romano when we first got off the show, saying we need to get everybody together to have like.
Speaker 1: Some kind of viewing party.
Speaker 4: He lives in Austin, and I was like, oh my gosh, I would totally love to go to Austin, but if not, I'm I'm going to probably do a viewing party in Denver.
Speaker 1: If you want to come, I'm in.
Speaker 3: I'm in.
Speaker 2: I mean, honestly, I'm so damn fired up over this thing right now, I can't even tell you. I just I feel like it's gonna be so great for you, Like I'm I'm just really happy that you chose to do it.
Speaker 3: And I think that, you know, I think people see you, people know you from the show and love you. I mean, that's that's evident.
Speaker 1: But that is so not the case. So I'm sorry, Bob, I'm going to cut you off. So thank you.
Speaker 4: I thank you very much for that sentiment. And you know, there are there are a lot of people I will say that reach out to me on DMS and are so supportive, like I was a majority of my followers right and.
Speaker 1: And I and I adore them. But it's funny, like People Magazine did an article about.
Speaker 4: This that they just posted about I think two days ago or yesterday, and every almost every single comment, except for a couple, the comments.
Speaker 1: Are who cares?
Speaker 3: Who's this?
Speaker 4: Like what can and she just like go live her life and shut up or something, you know, Like every single comment is like so mean and rude. I'm like, why people, why do you waste your time commenting about somebody that you think is washed up?
Speaker 3: What just don't watch the show? Do you know who actually said something that I thought was so great? One time? Star Jones.
Speaker 2: This is many many, many years ago, and I used to do a lot of stuff with the view way back then, and she I remember her saying something because I remember I was having a similar experience about something I was doing and people were just you know, it was right when social media just came out, and you know, people love the behaters on it, right, and they were saying something and I remember Star Jones going, Bob, think about it this way. She She's like, when's the last time that you went on to someone's post and hate it on them? And I'm like, never, I just wouldn't do that. She goes, and when's the last time you went into a chat room and just started taking shots at people?
Speaker 3: For I'm like never.
Speaker 2: She goes, right, She's like, ninety nine percent of the people out there are like you, and she's like those other one percent of the people are so miserable. They're sitting around watching everyone else live this life that they wish they had, so they got to attack it because if they were happy in their own lives and they were busy with their own stuff.
Speaker 3: They wouldn't have the thought to even go in and be like, oh, what the hell is this?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: So it changed my perspective on things. And then years later Oprah kind of said something very similar to me. She's like, but look at all these people who are enjoying watching you live your wonderful Nay, I know, I know I.
Speaker 1: Need to focus on all of the plot is it positive people? But I will just say it's hard too.
Speaker 3: It's hard. It's hard too.
Speaker 1: Though it is sometimes I blow them off more and more. And I knew going into this, I knew there was there were going to be haters.
Speaker 4: How sure, How could you walk into it being in the industry for over twenty years and and not think that people were gonna hate on it? Because truly, I shocked myself by doing this show. I shocked the people who I am closest to, my husband, my kids, you know, my best friends, my mom, my dad, you know.
Speaker 1: I shocked everybody. So it is it is not lost on me that I am somebody who is shocking to be part of this cast. It's not lost on me.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the big shocker and I and I'm not even gonna I'm not even gonna try to get it out of me because I know you won't tell me anyway. But the big shocker is going to be is if you if you continue. And I only say this because I just feel like if it was me, it would be such a mess. Oh. But if you're the one at the end of this thing, you know, Oh, I sent up the mirror ball rocksack or whatever it is.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know what you win, but it's like it's like a rocksack, you know, a disco ball rocksack. You're like, yeah, you know, this one's not even full of I can with this, no problem. But yeah, I mean, I just.
Speaker 1: Feel you're just kinda have to wait and see what the rest of the world. Bob Ginny.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: I can't wait, and I can't wait to talk to you about this every week while the show unfolds.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, this is Tristan.
Speaker 2: This is big news, man, And I think that it's going to be something that anyone who is familiar with the Branch Bachelor franchise or people who you know know it from adjacent viewing or whatever it might be. No matter what, this is a surprise because this is a surprise to me, and I've known you for twenty years, so I feel like, I feel like, holy smokes, this is going to be next level stuff and I'm.
Speaker 3: Just going to buckle up and enjoy the ride with you. So thanks for taking us on it. Yeah, thank you yours.
Speaker 4: I hope, I hope it's enjoyable for people to watch. I mean, I will say when the trailer came out, because I hadn't seen it until it was like announced publicly, right, So I see the trailer and I literally started dying laughing and I couldn't stop. And mind you, I'm watching myself in probably one of the hardest moments of my entire life, sure, getting yelled at by a Navy seal and crying my eyes out, and all I.
Speaker 1: Could do was laugh.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I cannot wait for this, Like, honestly, I'm just I'm giddy about it, and I think it's going to be so great to see you, you know, because there is an element to that too, you know. I mean some of those comments might be coming from people who are like, oh man, she's always looked so beautiful and she always you know, paraded on the show to talk about this, and you know what I mean, like, there's people that feel backlash of those moments and maybe maybe not that you need them to care, but maybe they'll see a different side of you and be like, holy smokes, I didn't know this chick had at in her, you.
Speaker 3: Know, like this is crazy.
Speaker 1: We're definitely going to see a different side of me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I think everybody, well, I think it's going to be super fun to be a part of the ride with you. So thank you, congratulations for being on the show, Thanks for sharing it with our o A most famous og family, and uh, you guys heard it here first. I mean, you guys are doing the press tomorrow, so now they're going to get to hear what we're already.
Speaker 3: Talking about, which is very exciting. So thank you for taking us on this ride with you.
Speaker 1: Of course, I'm glad we got you know.
Speaker 4: Thank you to Canyon for putting Grace into bed and yes, yes, so you could get on the phone. Yeah yeah, thanks almost famous team for making this happen and I can't wait to share about it every week when we recap in January.
Speaker 3: Man, I'm gonna start doing pull ups in case they call me.
Speaker 2: Just in case, I mean if they want Ryan and they want Ryan to be comfortable, you know, dominating the show. The last time he and I did a show together, he crushed it, just saying, you know, I got a good track record.
Speaker 1: You guys are too much fun. Ryan would be like, shut up, Bob, you need.
Speaker 3: To focus focused on I'm just going to sit here.
Speaker 2: I know I worked out all day, but my three in my thirty minutes of sleep, I'm gonna do one hundred and sixty five up pull ups. I'll be like, can you assist me by holding my feet so I at least look good on camera like I'm doing it.
Speaker 3: It would be so bad, Oh my god, it would be the worst.
Speaker 4: For me to be.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, so funny.
Speaker 2: Well, I love you, buddy, and I'm fired up, so thank you, thank you very much, and thanks everybody for sharing. Make sure you tune in every week for the almost famous OG Special Forces Recap because it's gonna be awesome.
Speaker 1: All right, awesome. I love how fired up you are. It's gonna be fun.