Speaker 1: What the first lady of France's alleged crank has to do with anti Semitism. That's right, you heard me.
Speaker 2: It's one more thing, one more thing. So before we get to that, I got a question. I don't know, maybe you guys know the answer to this. I forgot to research it. I came across his headline. Well, his online is a headline and something I've never heard of. Right, there's like nine million different outlets that I've never heard of, and I don't know which ones are real and which ones are folk, fake or whatever. This one is something called the Perennial Mahomes to play trumpet at Travis and Taylor's wedding. And the quote is I've been training for this my whole life. Does Patrick Mahomes play the trumpet? And is he going to play the trumpet at their wedding? And has he been training for this his whole life?
Speaker 1: If that's fake, I love it because it's so stupid.
Speaker 2: Well, it's got a picture.
Speaker 1: What I'm gonna do. I'm gonna post that Patrick Mahomes is going to play the trumpet at Kelsey's wedding.
Speaker 2: Eng and claim this is his dream come true. There's a picture that is clearly AI if Patrick Mahomes in a tuxedo with a flower on it, like he's a groomsman with a trumpet in his mouth. Yes, So that Internet AI overview says no, there is no indication that Patrick Mahomes plays the trumpet. Then I agree with Joe that is one of the where did that come from? Strangest, Hello, it would be a funny prank to play on people. How do you explain why that's so funny? It's the utter stupidity is the wrong word. It's thet I.
Speaker 3: Don't know what was the source, the utter lack of any motivation anybody could possibly have to make that particular claim that that's what makes it funny.
Speaker 2: It's something called the perennial. It's like saying he adopted three cats. I mean, who cares, right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I see what you mean. It's subtle enough. It's like okay, because it's not like, you know, has decided to write a donkey into the wedding chapel or something that would be no. She say, he's been practicing his whole life, and he's really looking forward to the opportunity to play the trump at his best friend's weddingrumpet.
Speaker 1: Maybe they're just seeing how far they can get it to spread, you know, just as in a social experiment.
Speaker 2: I gotta start thinking up just random things like that and see if I can get them going. Yeah, I've thought of.
Speaker 1: That many many times. I would like to do that. I mean, and it's so easy these days with you can fake up the graphics and whatever and see if you can get this stuff to go viral. But there are plenty of people already doing that.
Speaker 2: And in the headline, mahomes to play trumpet at Travis and Taylor's wedding quote, I've been training for this my whole life. How great would that be?
Speaker 1: Trumpet? Speaking of internet trollery, what does the alleged pennis of the First Lady of France have to do with anti Semitism?
Speaker 2: Okay, so back to that story is briefly wife a dude, which would include such broad shoulders, a pennace, which there are pictures and videos out there that claim, see you can see it right there, I mean you can She's got swinging junk right there, you can see it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I came across a great piece by Cat Rosenfield in the free press, who talks about how she does a lot of fairly edgy stuff on the internet and journalism wise and stuff, and so she's getting she gets trolled and what she calls humorous outrage and cancelation from outraged junkies left and right, and one, before we get into the meat of it, I really like this story, no, dear, an idiot, she says. I won't trouble you with further details because they're both ridiculous and unimportant. And for the most part, these pylons always play out the same way. The outrage lasts a day or two. While it does, it's rarely worth engaging in. But in the middle to this latest one, something unusual, get to the real sausage of the story for us, a prolific journalist cut that part out. Yeah, a prolific journalist named Hamilton Kine, who I have never met nor interacted with, publicly announced that he was privy to some salacious information about my alleged racist proclivities courtesy of my most trusted colleagues and family friends. So this guy is online, and this guy's got a lot of followers in all claiming that she's really a serious racist and he's been talking to close family and friends about it.
Speaker 2: Of hers.
Speaker 1: I'm friends with her editor and one of her one of my former publishing colleagues is best friends with her mother. Dang the stories I've heard. He wrote on X Black Racist a f So the interesting part of this Cat Rosenfeld piece about making like wildly unfounded claims about people, and she she talks about the first Lady and that whole thing and what's her name, Candice O, and Zoo keeps going back to it, and she said, originally she just thought it's about childish idiots troll people online. She says, worst of all, a world where the only recourse against these lying liars, even if you're the first Lady, you're freaking France, is to debase yourself by responding in such a way that even when you win, you still kind of lose. And there's a famous saying, and this is where it turns serious. There's a famous saying often attributed to Jean Paul Sautre, although it's a paraphrase and it doesn't matter quote. The anti Semite does not accuse the Jew of stealing because he thinks he stole something. He does it because he enjoys watching the Jew turn out his pockets to prove his innocence. In other words, people who traffic in destructive rumor mongering are often telling stories they even they don't believe. The point is not the lie themselves. The point is the burden it places on the person being lied about to perform the exhausting, undignified, humiliating exercise of refuting the allegations.
Speaker 2: That's interesting, So like getting back to Macrohn's wife, So Candice Owens makes those kind of comments or whatever, it does put you in the undignified position of proving she's wrong, or even responding to it right, which would be unpleasant. And Kat writes, it's about stealing their time and energy, about the power trip of setting little fires in someone else's house and then sitting back laughing while they run around trying to extinguish That sounds about real, exactly like exactly what is happening?
Speaker 1: And then does any she skips ahead talk more about the Macrone says, does anyone believe this? Probably not, or at least not at first, But after a while, repeated allegations of wrongdoing eventually start getting treated like proof in and of themselves. The first time you walk past the jew turning out his pockets to prove he isn't a thief, you sympathize. The seventeenth time you start to wonder, what's this guy doing so that people are accusing him of stealing all the time. There's got to be something to it.
Speaker 2: Well, I gotta admit I've gone and that's where I've ended up, not like, not for real, but a little bit like on the Michelle Obama being a man. Greg Guttfeld has made that joke so many times that I start thinking, why are so many people making that joke? Is there something I'm missing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, let's see And sometimes oh, she goes into the because of the repeated accusation, starts to give people the idea that maybe I should be Maybe there's something to this, she says. For this reason, the question of when to turn out your pockets to fight back and when to just turn away has no easy answer. Refuting a falsehood means dignifying it in some sense by stooping to the liar's level.
Speaker 2: Absolutely well.
Speaker 1: That staying silent, on the other hand, can look like a tacit confirmation that the falsehood is true.
Speaker 2: I think that's exactly what Trump did to Obama with the birth certificate. You put him in the awkward position of having to, you know, dignify it and refute it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then she goes into the example of Armie Hammer, who found himself at the center of one of the weirder Me Too Maelstroms after a former partner accused him of rape and physical abuse, along with other sensational offenses. Though Hammer was never charged, his public denial of the allegations paradoxically made people wonder if there might be something to them, especially when accompanied by memorable headlines such as Armie Hammer denies cannibalism claims.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, yeah, yeah right because of the denial. So you you get into that whole Streisand effect thing where everybody found out Barber Streisand's address because she was arguing so much about hey, you don't tell people my address. Yeah, you end up with that situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, but the one part that I will you know, take away and really keep is that people don't accuse the jew of stealing because they think they're stealing. They just want to humiliate them by making them turn their pocket out over and over again.
Speaker 2: When to fight it and when to just let it lie is a heck of a that's a heck of a thing, right. I think everybody starts with I'll let it lie, but then it starts to grow a little and you think, well, I need to respond to this. But then it's off to the races. Now you got another day of the news story, more headlines. Just like Katie said, here, you've heard the story of the cannibalism because of the denial, right right exactly.
Speaker 1: We've always both of us on the show gone with the policy that we publicize our sins. So you know, if somebody says, you know, somebody writes the headline Joe Geddy drinks himself insensible watching a playoff baseball, somebody to see that and say, oh yeah, they talked about that for like half an hour Thursday, And.
Speaker 2: It'd be hard to imagine coming up with a headline that would be more embarrassing to me than things I've admitted I've done. So that helps.
Speaker 1: I got a couple, you know, I am always bringing up care donible, isn't Michael why I'll do the math, That's all I'm saying. Me and missus McCrone nibbling on a nice calf together, and I don't mind the I mean the kind that says move.
Speaker 2: Well. I guess that's it.