Speaker 1: Hey, the folks, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ covering the Diddy trial roads. We have been talking about this for the past week. We got the first full week of testimony. No doubts at all, Cassie Venturists testimony is gonna be talked about for quite some time. We wrote it talking about it bombshell after bombshell after bombshell for days on the stand.
Speaker 2: That's right. And she, of course is the prosecution's star witness, and she is the one who brought the lawsuit to begin with, that created the criminal investigation that ensued and is the reason why Sean Ditty Combs is on trial now facing five federal charges.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she finished on Friday. We should let folks know. She wrapped up and they made sure they had her done by noon, by lunchtime on Friday because frankly, she's eight and a half months pregnant and they were concerned she might have the baby this weekend. That did nice.
Speaker 2: She did not know, but you know, three days of testimony for anyone testifying about anything would be overwhelming and difficult. But she was reliving the most atrocious, grotesque, unimaginable events that I don't think anyone could have an easy time retelling, and yet she's doing it while she's eight and a half months pregnant, and she's talking about suicidal thoughts. She's talking about parties, sex parties that lasted for four days, physical injuries, traumatic mental injuries. I mean this and all with her husband in the courtroom watching her detail heinous, heinous crimes that she says happened to her.
Speaker 1: And so that's where we finished up on Friday with her testimony. But then they called someone else down, Richard, who is a member of Danity Kane, the group that was on making the band that did he put together. She testified, and we'll get into some of her testimony in just a moment, but as far as we understood, she was being cross examined today the day the recording this here on Monday, so we'll have some more details of her testimony when the day concludes. But rome's one major I guess, I guess a major development on Friday when Cassie finished with all of her testimony that was again bombshell after bombshell, graphic and gripping. We then heard from her personally. She didn't come out and to an interview but her attorney came out and released a statement and a pretty powerful statement that gave us a little bit of an insight into just what the experience had been for her in testifying for the past several days.
Speaker 2: Yes, so she and this is a very smart thing to do. I think the last thing she would want to do is stand in front of reporters or do an interview after everything she went through. So she released a statement that everyone could read, and she got to say what she wanted to. She said, this week has been extremely challenging, and that would be an understatement completely at this point for her. She said, this week has been extremely challenging, but also remarkably empowering. She said that she hoped that her story my testimony has given strength and a voice to other survivors and can help others who have suffered to speak up and also heal from abuse and fear. That's remarkable. And she also went on to say for me, the more I heal, the more I can remember, and the more I can remember, the more I will never forget. I want to thank my family and my advocates for their unwavering support, and I'm grateful for all the kindness and encouragement that I have received, that is, you know, you felt for her when she was on the stand, but I thought her her statement was very empowering to so many other people who were listening to her. A lot of people we heard who had nothing to do with Shaun Didecombs but have experienced their own traumas actually felt triggered by hearing her actually get on the stand and talk about what she went through as an abuse victim.
Speaker 1: And we've had a conversation here here lately, plenty of conversations about where do people draw the line between someone being an accomplice and someone being a willing participant and someone actually being a vict them And it's probably not as simple as this or that one way or another. And we've talked to other people who look at Cassie and other who who were around did he who I think a lot of people would classify as victims. Well, we have other people saying these people were complicit as well. These folks went along with it and in some way were accomplices. It's a very complicated conversation to have, but it shouldn't just be black or white. You're either you're on this person's side or not on that person's side. It's just this case is proving to be a little more complicated, a lot more excuse me, complicated than that.
Speaker 2: Right, there is a there is a line, or maybe even a blurred line at this point as you point out between being a victim and being an accomplice at one point or just being complicit. You know, there's just there is a lot of gray area, and I think a lot of people who have been groomed and who were young at the time can absolutely understand that blurry line. By the way, Ventur did finish her statement, and this was this was important too, because she's asking, she's asking for privacy. She said, I'm glad to put this ch after of my life to rest as I turned to focus on the conclusion of my pregnancy. I asked for privacy for me and for my growing family. She already has children, now she has another baby on the way. And the hope is that by her actually coming forward, putting a face to it, saying what happened to her in unbelievable detail, that she can finally put this to bed and get justice.
Speaker 1: This is what they are trying to establish this week, and we've had a lot of conversations with folks ropes who are questioning, like, wait a minute, this is I see him as an abuser on the video, but this is not what this case is about. So why is she up there speaking and testifying so much to abuse when he's not charged for domestic violence. But they are establishing their case a racketeering case, They're establishing a prostitution case, a sex trafficking case by showing that this guy was in command and control. She has more insights into these free colls than maybe anybody, and so they're trying to establish a case by showing, hey, yes, she went through this, she experienced this. That sets whatever up for the jury who was going to have an emotional reaction to her. But folks, they are building a case, their case that racketeering, that sex trafficking. She is very much in the middle of that. Even she wasn't a victim of it, she can establish I guess the whole the coersion, the racketeering, the rico case that they are trying to put together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she absolutely admitted to seeking out some of these male escorts and bringing them in and then doing what she was told. She says. By Sean Diddy, Coombs herself. And you know, we've talked about this a lot because her husband, Alex Fine, was asked to be removed from the courtroom while she actually detailed what the most heinous thing that was done to her, perhaps you could say, at least from a legal standpoint, And again Diddy is not charged with this specific crime, but she said that she was raped by him. And that was the one moment that her husband walked out of the courtroom, and not because he wanted to, but because the defense and the prosecution came to an agreement that he would do so because Combe's lawyers did not want him in the courtorate because they say they might actually call him back to the stand when they get their turn at defending Shan Didnycomb. So we will see what happens with that. But in the meantime, her husband did also release a statement. They didn't release a joint statement. They put out statements separate from one another. But I actually really loved to hear what Alex had to say, so we're gonna read them for you. Here. He said, over the past five days, the world has gotten to witness the strength and bravery of my wife freely being herself and freeing herself of her past. There have been speculation online surrounding how it must feel for me to sit there and to listen to my wife's testimony. I have felt so many things sitting there. I have felt tremendous pride and overwhelming love for Cassie. I have felt profound anger that she has been subjected to sitting in front of a person who tried to break her him and all of those who helped him along the way. Please know this, you did not. You did not break her spirit nor her smile that lights up every room. You did not break the soul of a mother who gives the best hugs and plays the silliest games with our little girls. You did not break the woman who has made me a better man. He said, That's some powerful stuff. I think that's something that I think every wife would want to hear from the man who is standing by her and with her detailing the most horrific time of her life.
Speaker 1: I have to remember you all, this is the gentleman. This is her husband, yes, but this is the guy who did He paid for as her personal trainer initially. This is how he became came into her life and became a friend. This is also the guy. According to Cassie, they were dating when the alleged rape took place. She was already dating her now husband when she went and had a goodbye dinner with Ditty one night, she took her back to her home, and that's what she said the alleged rape took place. So her husband has been around. I'm sure she told him about this, but as part of the reason that they didn't want him in that courtroom, he has some knowledge of what was going on in her life around that time because they were dating.
Speaker 2: That's correct, and to that point they had been dating. I don't know how serious they were dating at that point, because then she did admit on the stand that after the alleged rape that she did have consensual sex again with Diddy after that. But ultimately, obviously they stopped dating and she did continue on with Alex and they got married and now they have children. She has another one on the way. Obviously. Alex's statement goes on from there. He went on to write, I did not save Cassie, as some have said. To say that is an insult to the years of painful work my wife has done to save herself Cassie saved Cassie. She alone broke free from abuse, coercion, violence, and threats. She did the work of fighting the demons that only a demon himself could have done to her. All I have done is love her as she has loved me. Her life is now surrounded by love, laughter, and our family. This horrific chapter is forever put behind us, and we will not be making additional statements. We appreciate all the love and support we have received, and we ask that you respect our privacy as we welcome our son into a world that is now safer because of his mom. That's powerful.
Speaker 1: This I don't know what to because this might not be over necessarily. There are a lot of tentacles to this story, and there are a lot of people who are still in the midst of legal wranglings of some kind having to do with day civil lawsuits.
Speaker 2: How many civil lawsuits are there.
Speaker 1: We couldn't keep up. It was dozens because they were happening, so that I don't know the official count. There are so many, but Cassie's name is going to come up plenty in those lawsuits and in stories in the future. And there are plenty of people who do believe that Cassie was complicit. I don't think anybody's arguing that she was a victim at all. But after hearing her testimony, you can't help but get emotional and your heart go out. And look, if you see the video she's refered of this man. But to think, you know, as it's over, she can turn the page. She can like you can close this chapter of what you're doing with Diddy and you're going to have a baby soon, and it seems like everything's going to be washed away, but it's you would hope that for her and her family. I hope they find some peace in this very important time for them. But there is so much of this story, and we're learning so much more as we're covering it day in and day out, that this is going to be with a lot of people for a long time, the rest of their lives. But the legal part might be with them for a long time.
Speaker 2: You do make a good point because to have that many lawsuits and have to have her be an integral part of them, because she was, by all accounts, with Diddy by his side throughout all of these so called freak offs and participated in them. And most people would say willingly, But the question is is it something that you're doing willingly if you're under the influence, if you're under the threat of your own life, under the threat of harm by him, physical harm, which again is undeniable. That certainly happened to her without question. But where does the responsibility lie. Where does the legal responsibility lie with someone when they're being coerced, when they're being traumatized, when they're being abused, to then be able to make sure it doesn't happen to someone else, or you don't participate in an event or in a freak off where someone else is harmed for someone else is abused. It's very tricky, it's very complicated, and it certainly is not a black or white issue.
Speaker 1: And we would really encourage people. I know there are salacious headlines. They've been out there. As soon as he was arrested, all you saw was baby oil, baby oil, baby oil. Look, this goes way beyond some damn baby oil. And it's so important to have a conversation that goes much more in depth than just the headline. So we do we encourage everybody. Please, folks, don't just stop at a salacious headline and listen to some of these stories, listen to some of these people, listen to go read a lot of this testimony if you get a chance to. It's just this is so complex. Fame and power and coersion and money and sex and kinks and drugs and consent. All these things are playing and it's just not I'm on this side or that side. It's just not that someone.
Speaker 2: The more Tju and I learned about this, the more people we talk to, the more interviews we have, the more testimony we read, the more my heart just hurts. And I think about all of the folks who were victims, truly victims. They were young, they were hungry, they were inexperience, they wanted to be famous, they wanted to do their art, they wanted to get into this industry, and Sean Diddy Combs was their way in. And so you do what you're told. You follow along because you think that's what you're supposed to do. And sometimes you know, when you're young, you don't follow your gut. You do what someone tells you to do. And that is so much of what we have been hearing, and that's what just breaks your heart. Anyone who's a parent out there anyone who's ever tried to make it in the entertainment industry or who has a child who wants to This is some scary stuff because it is far reaching. It went on for decades and no one spoke up enough where they were actually heard and believed, where any sort of policing authority even got involved. I mean, that's what's so mind blowing to me. The more people we talk to TJ, the more people who knew about it. There were videos, there wasn't this wasn't just rumors or gossip, there was actual evidence.
Speaker 1: Well that was fear. We talked to say, fear you're fearful of your career not taking off, or fearful of losing a career, but you have we I think every person we talked to has a physical fear. They had a real fear of being physically harmed in some way by Diddy or his circle of folks. It was just that much power in what he was doing at the time. So again, these we just encourage you while to please listen to the stories, listen to people, and and don't be so inclined to say I'm on this side or that side, team this person or team that person. That always sucks when those come out. We do want to let you know though, that Dawn Richard that we mentioned, she did get on the stand a prosecution witness. She was a member of Dannity Kane. But she has been testifying Robes that she witnessed a particular incident in which did he threw a skillet that were making eggs, actually threw a skillet at her and she curled up on the ground in a fetal position trying to protect herself from him. She went on to testify that he actually dragged her by the hair upstairs after that. At that point she heard things breaking and fighting and yelling and screaming. But that's been a lot of what she was testifying to And again Monday, as we were recording this, she was back on the stand this morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was being cross examined, and we heard from the defense team questioning her because look, we've seen this a lot, and this is nothing new when it comes to people who have claimed to be abused. Memories just go away just in order to survive, in order to deal with you compartmentalize, and then you forget. So his defense team was pointing out she wasn't as open about the drug use and the narcotics and the ketamine and the cocaine and just all of the things we're hearing about until recently, and she went out and said that the more and this is actually kind of what Alex was saying about his own wife's testimony, the further she gets away from it, the more she starts to remember. But initially she just pushed everything down and away and genuinely forgot it because she wanted to. And so now the memories are coming back. Now she's remembering more abuses, more violations, more drug use, and so they're questioning that. They're questioning her credibility because she has changed her story. She has added more detail and given more scenarios of what happened that she hadn't initially.
Speaker 1: That's their job as a defensive team. You can it always happens, right. You hear one side and you're like, oh my goodness, yes he's a monster, and you hear the other side and they put a little doubt in there. So that's what's happening. We will continue to keep an eye on what's happening with this trial. It is what everybody ropes. Even you don't have to turn on a TV. If you have any friend, you only have to look at your phone. Anybody in your world, everybody's talking about this trial.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and because you know, so many people claim to have been hurt, not just hurt, but devastated lives, ruined careers, ruined mental health, like just blown to shreds. This has been life altering for a lot of folks. And some of the folks whose names you might not ever hear, who don't want to insert their names and don't want to raise their hand and don't want to be a part of the testimony or the lawsuits, they're out there too. And you know, it's remarkable when you start to really really investigate what may have happened for decades. It's the best way I can describe it as I just it's sickening, but it's eye opening, and I think it's important to remember and to recognize that this happens, and we all have to be a part of making sure it doesn't. We have to give people a voice, we have to believe people at times, and we have to make sure that the right people are investigated, not just because you're powerful, they're rich, that you somehow get to evade justice or you get to be above the law, and we're seeing that all play out in court, all.
Speaker 1: Right, so folks, please stick with us. We will continue to keep you updated about the ditty trial. But now I'm TJ. Holmes, and I.
Speaker 2: Mean the robot. Thanks for listening, Have a good day.
Speaker 1: Ikeation pushed the GAT