THERÉSA: Hello, Hauntos, Welcome back Therésa and Len here.
LEN: Hello
THERÉSA: and we're about to turn our twosome into a threesome. By that, of course, I mean we're hiring an intern. Some of you may remember our old intern, Naomi, former UCLA student turned succubus who crossed over and no one's heard from her since. Well, Len has been screening resumes for her replacement, and he's chosen his top three candidates. Now, it's my turn to make a final selection, and unlike last time, we're going to be a lot more discerning. Okay, first resume, so exciting. Who do we have here? Bartholomew de Fry? Okay. Education, none. Relevant experience, town crier. Interests, falconry. Dead over seven hundred years. Okay, Len, this is reading black plague to me? Did this guy die of the plague? Because remember I said, no plague. They're freaky to look at and I don't even know how we'd catch them up on the culture let alone explained podcast.
LEN: [MUMBLES]
THERÉSA: I don't care how fast a learner he is. The boils are gross.
LEN: [MUMBLES]
THERÉSA: What do you mean he's a distant relative of yours? Is that why you're pushing this so hard. We're not nepo hiring your weird uncle or whatever. Let's get into our first story, and I'm going to pretend like you didn't sneak that resume into the pile. First up, today we'll hear from Lenzy and her husband Michael, a real fix it couple who did all of their own home renovations. Only it's a lot easier to rip out old flooring than it is to rip out old souls. I'm assuming I'm more of an ideas person when it comes to that kind of thing.
STORY A: All of a sudden, out of my peripheral I see something walk from out of our bathroom into our living room. In his quick stride across the door, I can see his hands move and his fingers were long, like not human. I'm Lenzy, and I was dealing with something in my old house. In 2018, I reconnected with a friend from high school who knew somebody who had an older house that he was trying to rent out. But it was just beat up, and it needed new plumbing and a new kitchen and just the whole works. And as long as we fixed it up, we could rent it for five hundred dollars a month. The house was a steal and getting my hands a little dirty along the way and learning some craftsman skills seem like a good thing. My husband and I moved in. The first time we pulled up to the house, the outside looked mangled. The bushes were overgrown. You could just tell it hadn't been occupied in a while. It was a pale blue color with white shutters, and it had a big brick porch at the very front. When you walked in, it would open to a big living room. From there, down the hallway it would go to a kitchen which was completely destructed. The flooring could not hold any weight, so we ended up having to fix the flooring add new plumbing. But once we put paint on it, it worked for us and we're happy and we made it work. In Cottageville, South Carolina, there are stories of a lot of unexplained activity. For example, back in 2013, the town hall caught fire. It was kind of mysterious. Nobody really knows how the fire started. They think it was maybe old electrical. As you're standing outside, huge flames, ginormous flames, and there are pictures that were circulated of what looks like the devil coming out of the flames. There are stories of a little girl in the old police department. The old police department was originally an elementary school, and there's stories of a little girl in a white dress with red eyes, and she would chase you up and down the hallways. Jeffrey, the chief of police, and one of his officers ended up shooting at this entity and there were bullet holes in the brick from where they were shooting at it. So yeah, there is a lot of unexplained activity around Cottageville. My husband, Michael, is a police officer. He was working night shift, so I was alone a lot. The older seasoned guys they got day shifts, so they put the young guys on night shift. We do like switch shifts, so every eight weeks we're on days, eight weeks we're on nights. Night shift definitely sucks. I was very lonely, so we adopted a golden retriever and named him Parker. We would spend absolutely every day together. Having Parker there made the late nights and my husband being gone a lot feel much more comfortable, and I felt much safer knowing that Parker was close by. One night, I am lying in the bed and I noticed Parker standing in our doorway to our bedroom, staring up at the ceiling, and he is moving his head in a way that would suggest he's watching something crawl across our ceiling. I look up, there's nothing there. This freaked me out. I immediately told him to get in the bed with me and to stop doing that. A little while later, he's doing it again. He's staring up at the ceiling, watching something moving with his eyes, and then he just lays his head down and he'll look up again, like one more time, we'll watch it, and then he just lays back down. Immediately, you go to the logical explanation of there's a bug or dust, but there was nothing there. And I didn't know how to explain it at that time, and I don't think I know how to explain it now. That was kind of the first thing, was Parker seeing something. Then it progressed to one night, my husband just got home from a long night shift and we're lying in the bed getting comfortable, and I start hearing what sounds like the kitchen sink turning on and turning off, and then it would turn on and then it would turn off. I nudged my husband, ask him if he's hearing what I'm hearing. I hear what sounded like the faucet turning on and off, like the water hitting the metal sink. I'm like, there's no way. It goes on for like twenty minutes. It wasn't the bathroom. You could tell the difference of the sounds. So if it had been in the bathroom, it would have been to the right of us and much closer, whereas this one was to the left of us and much further away. We get up and we head to the kitchen, flip on the kitchen light. We look. I wipe my hand across the sink. It was bone dry. There was no water leaking or anything like that. I actually checked the faucet make sure it was all the way off, stayed there and watched no drips, no nothing. That was kind of creepy. I looked at my husband. That was the sink, right? He says, yes, he heard it as well. It's an old house, you know, it could be a leak, but there's no water on the floor. I even checked underneath the sink. Nothing. It was just completely dry and I was like, wow, that is unexplainable. We both just kind of shrug our shoulders and go get back in the bed. At that point, we didn't think it was anything paranormal, just weird pipes. The next night, my husband again is working night shift. It was just me. I'm lying in the bed and I'm hearing with like furniture being moved around in the living room or being shoved up against the wall. It goes on for maybe ten minutes. I'm thinking somebody is breaking into our home and they are ransacking our living room. So I'm lying there contemplating how I'm going to defend myself, feeling completely trapped and terrified, until I don't hear it anymore. I get up and I go and I look. I walked into the kitchen, walked into the spare room. Nothing has changed, nothing has been moved. It's completely normal, as if nothing had ever happened. I checked the back door. Nobody had been in the house beside me. I went back to bed, trying to go to sleep, watching TV, and out of my peripheral vision, I see what looks like somebody walk across our bedroom into the bathroom. It was an extremely tall figure. I noticed his hands and his fingers were extremely long, longer than any human. They are nearly down to his knees, and it was darker than dark, pitch black, as if a shadow had a shadow. It walks into the bathroom and about five seconds later, it turns around and it walks back towards the living room. This entity paces back and forth through our hallway. I was terrified and frozen at the same time. Didn't want to move in case it would look over at me, so I tried to stay as still as possible as to not draw attention. Once a couple of minutes had passed, I didn't see anything, no movement. And when I don't see him anymore, I take my opportunity to get Parker and myself out. I am freaked out. I call my husband hysterical about there's somebody in the house and when I looked, I can't find them, and I don't feel safe in the house. I'm like, Lenzy, pack your stuff, get what you need for tonight, go to your mom's. So I chose to drive the hour away to my mom's, where at least I knew I was safe. I stayed at my mom's for three to four days until I finally got the courage to come back to the house. The next night, my husband got home. We're lying in the bed. I'm trying to go to sleep, but I'm not asleep yet. All of a sudden, I hear police sirens going off. So my eyes just kind of open and they go towards the window and I see something by my side of the bed. It's extremely dark, very tall, very long fingers standing over me, leaning down, watching me sleep. But this time I can see more of it. It has no face, no nose, there was nothing. It was just complete black, complete darkness. I throw myself across my husband to the other side of the room. She just flails over me, screaming, hollering in full on panic mode. I'm like, what is going on? My husband sees me pointing. This thing is trying to get me, and I know it's only after me. I'm not believing what I'm seeing. I'm seeing this tall, dark figure. The whole silhouette is black. At this point, It's like, what is that? He was able to see it standing there. He's got like a coat and his fingers were very long, I would say about ten to twelve inches long, all kind of feelings come across. I get like a dull, disgusting feeling. You feel like very, very depressed. And it just kind of dissipated into the floor. It didn't melt, it just evaporated. At that point, I was worried about me and Lenzy. I was worried that this thing was going to harm us. This thing is already bold enough to be in our room while we're sleeping. Who knows what else is capable of. He immediately was on the phone calling family, anybody that he knew that would have a Bible or anything religious that we could bring into the house to hopefully help stop what we're seeing. I called my grandparents. They have all kinds of bibles, family big Bibles, little travel-sized bibles, regular bibles. We got a whole box of bibles. We put one in our room, in our living room, one in the kitchen. On top of the refrigerator, under the sink. We kept them all over the place. And we started praying, Dear Heavenly Father, please look over us. Let Lenzy know that you're there. Any evil forces wash them away, Lord. I'll actually recite verses in the Bible where it talks about God is always with us. When we first started placing the bibles, it felt like nothing was going to work, and this was just going to be the new normal, just being terrified every night. I continue to pray that it would work. It took a couple of days but a toxic kind of fog in the house dissipated and it just went away. I don't know what it was, but I know it was pure evil. From then on, we never had another experience. I have not seen or heard or felt anything else.
THERÉSA: This is an approach I haven't seen before. Shove bibles all over your home. I like it. Paranormal mothballs, whatever works, right? Let's take a quick break and then we'll dive into the rest of our resume stack. Okay, let's see... who's next in our list of potential interns? Ron Platts seems like he died in this century with no visible bumps, breaks, or bleeds. That's a good start. He's got a dual degree in audio production and business management. Okay. His interests are chess and rice grain carvings. Len, I'm starting to regret having you screen applications. We have to spend all eternity with this person. Next, Oh, a video submission now we're talking.
KENZIE: Hey Haunting team! Kenzie, here! I'm a spooky spitfire who kicked the can the way all hotties do. Stomach problems. But I didn't let a little E.Coli keep me down. I'm a mover and shaker here in the afterlife, and I'm looking for my next opportunity with you.
THERÉSA: Ah, Len
KENZIE: I know how to work hard and look good doing it. I'm one smart cookie who excels under pressure and thrives in a fast paced environment. Heck, if I can survive Bama Rush, I can survive anything except E. Coli. When the going gets tough, the tough called Kenzie. Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.
THERÉSA: Wow. Did you see her diamond nameplate necklace, the wide leg suede boots. That is what this team needs. We're making an offer, but before we do, we've got our next story on deck, and in this one, we have another babysitter thrown to the wolves. If you're hiring someone to work in a haunted house, you have to warn them guys. I get it. It makes finding people hard, but it's only fair.
STORY B: I was working in a very small town in Louisiana as a nanny, and every Wednesday something would end up happening in the house, something paranormal, and I was just scared. I am thinking that I probably need to mention to the family that I am feeling uncomfortable, but knowing that this family is very religious, I was hesitant to talk to them. I thought they would think I was a lunatic, so I really didn't have anyone to confide in about my experiences. My name is Amanda and I was haunted at work for six months. It is 2013. I was a single mom of a five year old living in a very small town in northern Louisiana. Being a very small town, there were very few job opportunities. I have a passion for children, and I found a nanny recruiting agency online. They had posted that they needed a full-time nanny, so I applied directly through the website. Got an interview setup, and that is how I met Dana and Tom. They needed a full time nanny for their two children, Josie and Jackie. Josie was a newborn and Jackie was three at the time. When I pulled into the driveway for my first interview, I was blown away by how beautiful this home was and how large it was. It was a two story white plantation home with black shutters. It's an old house. It was built in 1923. Typical of northern Louisiana, it had an all wooden wrap around porch and two porch swings. When I first walked in and was greeted by Dana and Tom, they were just like an extremely welcoming family. The first thing I noticed was all of the original hardwood floor. The entire home had all original hardwood floor. It had huge crown molding around it. The interview process was interesting. Dana and Tom were both very friendly, but they took the safety of their children very seriously, so there was a lot of questions on in this situation, how would you handle it? In case of an emergency, what are your steps? And then the last question that they asked me in the interview was if I believed in God. Being in you know, northern Louisiana where it is the Bible Belt, it was not an uncommon question to be asked. I said yes to the question. All they said was good and then they offered me the job and I accepted. On my first day, Dana and Tom had guidelines and expectations for me taking care of Josie and Jackie. I was allowed to go in the kitchen to prepare the bottles and the meals for the children. I was able to utilize the restroom, and I was able to be in the front room, which was their living room. But they told me that we could not go upstairs, so I thought that was strange. A normal day started at eight am. I would enter the home. The children were usually asleep, so I would just sit until they woke up. I would change their diapers, get them breakfast started. They had a large Great Dane who I let out every morning when I got there, but other than that, it was strictly Josie and Jackie. The first week went fantastic. We're getting a good routine down. The second week that I was there, it was on a Wednesday. I was rocking Josie, feeding her a bottle, and Jackie asked me if we could go upstairs and play. That was something that she asked me every day. Because I was feeding Josie a bottle. I said, let me finish feeding Josie, find an activity to do in the meantime, and we will go upstairs when we're finished. A few minutes have passed and I hear her run up the stairs. Then, I could hear running above me going down the hallway. I was immediately frustrated because I had told Jackie not to go upstairs and that she would have to wait until I was done feeding Josie. I think Jackie went upstairs because she wanted to get a toy that was upstairs. She was being a typical toddler, being defiant and going to do what she wanted to do. And I think that she was running because she knew that she was not supposed to be upstairs. So I walked over to the foot of the stairs and I could still hear her running, and I yelled Jackie! Come downstairs! As soon as I yelled for her to come down, the running stopped. I waited for her to come down the stairs, thinking that she was in trouble, but I heard nothing, and then right behind me, I hear Jackie say, I'm right here. If it wasn't Jackie upstairs, who was it? I did not want to be in the home anymore. I really just was freaked out. So I grabbed the girls and we went outside and played until lunchtime. When I had to reenter the home to make lunch for Jackie, I was very uneasy being in the home. The scariest part was I had to pass the stairwell to enter the kitchen. But the rest of the afternoon went completely normal, with no other noises in the home. But I had this gut feeling that this was not a isolated incident, that this was going to continue. So fast forward a week. It is a Wednesday. I'm sitting on the couch feeding Josie, and something in the hallway keeps catching my eye. When I finally decided to look, I saw a huge black mass working its way down the wall in the hallway. It wasn't a person, it was a huge shadow going down the wall. I watched this shadow slowly move across the wall and enter a hallway closet. When it entered the closet, I heard an audible growl. It wasn't extremely loud, but loud enough for me to know that it was a growl. It was almost like a [growl]. I had never heard a growl before from something unknown. The family did have a dog. They had a huge Great Dane, but she was sitting right next to me and made no noise whatsoever. I don't remember the dog reacting to this at all. My mind immediately knew it was something unexplainable. I got the worst feeling in my chest and the pit of my stomach, like just something bad about to happen. So I quickly grabbed Josie, grabbed Jackie and got the heck out. The feeling that I had inside, the growl, the blackness. There was no way that that was something positive that was not going to harm me or the girls. As soon as the girls and I got outside, we got some fresh air and time away from the house. I immediately felt better. My feeling of dread went away, but I still did not want to go back in that house. The girls and I stayed outside until Dana got home around four pm. As soon as Dana got home, she asked how our day was. I lied to her. I said the day was great. I gathered my things and I left. I was afraid that if I told her the truth, I would lose my job, because it's just something you don't hear about often. You know, this stranger has been in your home taking care of your two small children for two weeks, and they come to you telling you that they saw a dark shadow and a growl in the hallway. Like I thought they would think I was a lunatic. There was no explanation for this one. I go back the next day and I was definitely on guard. I was still very on edge, but nothing happened again until the following Wednesday. It was a normal day, hot and humid in Louisiana. At two o'clock, I had to leave with the girls to pick up my son from school. I am in my car getting ready to leave, and I had the kids in the car with me. I get a text from my mom asking for a photo of the house because I had talked about how beautiful this plantation home was. So I pulled out my phone snapped a quick picture of the house. I sent it to my mom and put my phone away and carried on going to pick up my son from school. When I returned, we got everybody unloaded out of the car, got inside. I checked my phone and I had a text from my mom saying how beautiful the house was, but asked who was in the house? And I'm thinking, what are you talking about? No one is in the house. So I went back to the gallery on my phone, opened it up and immediately started zooming in on all of the windows in the home. I zoom in on all the bottom floor windows, don't see anything. I move up to the top level and on the last window on the top right, I see a full black figure standing in this window. There is a legit person standing in this window. I mean, I was just snapping a quick picture. How did I catch that? You know? Seeing the shadow made me feel like my experiences were truly explainable now, like this is something real, This is something paranormal, and I have proof of it. At this point, I'm freaked out. This house is very, very haunted. I am thinking that I probably need to mention to the family my experiences and that I am feeling uncomfortable in the house. So I asked the mom if she had experienced anything in the home before, and she said yes, which surprised me. She told me that one night she was getting up to feed Josie and the front door and the back door were completely open. She said that, you know, maybe it was the wind, but deep down inside, based on my experiences, I am just assuming that this is a paranormal experience. She also mentioned that they would hear someone walking or running up in the hallway above the living room. And then they said that they would hear doors slamming upstairs when no one was home. And I had told her that I didn't experience the doors opening or closing by themselves, but I had experienced hearing the footsteps running upstairs. I just wanted her to know about my experiences that I wasn't quitting. I just wanted to be, you know, transparent with her. She respected that and we just kind of moved on from it. So I worked with this family for about six months and every Wednesday something would end up happening. Not as big as the first three experiences, but something unexplainable would happen. I think it was trying to grab my attention, Hey I'm here, just trying to show me what it was capable of. After it got my attention and I knew it was there, it just no longer needed to do something big, you know. And I thought it was very strange that my experiences only occurred on Wednesdays. Because of my experiences that happened in this house, I am now a paranormal investigator. I now have a passion for trying to find out why the paranormal happens, what causes hauntings, and I try to help people who are experiencing what I experienced. I would love to go back in the house and actually investigate it with the knowledge that I have now and the tools that I have, I would love to go back in that house. I don't think that paranormal activity will ever stop there.
THERÉSA: Okay, it's not too often we ghosts inspire. We're really jump starting careers over here on Haunting. Speaking of which, we're taking a little break before we call Kenzie and give her the good news.
KENZIE: Hello?
LEN: [MUMBLES]
KENZIE: Hello?
LEN: [MUMBLES]
KENZIE: Sorry, it's really hard to hear.
THERÉSA: Just give it to me, Len. Hey girl hey! Is this Kenzie?
KENZIE: This is.
THERÉSA: It's Therésa and I'm about to rock your underworld.
KENZIE: Oh no, thank you! Just please take me off this list.
THERÉSA: Wait wait, wait, wait, you applied for an internship with us. It's Therésa!
KENZIE: Oh! From the Supernatural Pet Rescue.
THERÉSA: No, it's
KENZIE: The Wrongful Death paralegal position.
THERÉSA: No, it's actually the one where.
KENZIE: Wait you're not calling from Netflix, are you?
THERÉSA: No, no. No from Haunting, Purgatory's top podcast where we share totally true supernatural stories from the Great Beyond.
KENZIE: Oh right.
THERÉSA: Well we have good news. You got the job, miss girl, woo!
KENZIE: Awesome. Thank you so much. Why don't you send over an offer and I'll take some time to think about it.
THERÉSA: Oh yeah, sure, take time to think about it.
KENZIE: Just like include like a rate, PTO, benefits, proposed schedule. I'll need Fridays off because that's when I haunt my friend's ski house. You know, general role trajectory. What else?
THERÉSA: Haha? Okay, yeah.
KENZIE: But yeah, thanks so much for calling babe. Kisses!
THERÉSA: Kisses. Are you kidding me? Absolutely not? That was insane, Len, am I crazy?
LEN: Rude.
THERÉSA: So rude, right? Okay, obviously cut that entire part. We'll figure out something else to put here in post. Let's just jump right to the closer. Kenzie was thrilled to get the offer, but turns out we actually don't need an intern anymore. Things change by the minute here at Haunting. Sorry, girl! But keep working hard and one day you might be sitting in my chair. Well, that's all we've got. As always, if you've got a spooky story to share, email Len at HauntingThePodcast@gmail.com and you could be featured on an upcoming episode. See you next time. Sorry, I'm still reeling. No one in my life has ever talked to me like that. I need to lie down.
CREDITS: If you have a Haunting story to share, email us at HauntingThePodcast@gmail.com, and if you like what you hear, please like and subscribe. You can also follow us on social media by searching for Glass Podcasts or by visiting glasspodcasts.com. Haunting is a production of Glass Podcasts in partnership with iHeart Podcast. Haunting is created and executive produced by Nancy Glass, Andrea Gunning, Ben Fetterman, and Lauren Lapkus, and it is hosted by Lauren Lapkus as her character Therésa. Producer Len Walker is played by Trey Morgan. Kenzie is played by Gia Burns. Haunting is written by Aleah Welsh, with additional writing by Nancy Glass, Trey Morgan, and Ben Fetterman. Editing and sound designed by Matt Delvecchio and mixed by Dave Saia. Operations and production support by Kristen Melchiorre. Additional production support by Curry Richman and Todd Ganz. Haunting's theme and original compositions were composed by Oliver Baines and Dorry Macauley of Noiser Music Library provided by Mybe Music. Special thanks to Speakeasy Sound Studios in Burbank, California. For more shows from iHeart Podcast and Glass Podcast, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.