Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow your mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: All right, all aboard, Welcome to Weird House Cinema. This is Rob Lamb.
Speaker 3: And this is Joe McCormick. And actually I was just thinking, Rob, is this technically our first Weird House Cinema episode of the Halloween season? Or are you counting Absurd the movie we did last week even though it wasn't October yet.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go ahead and count absurd.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, you were jumping the gun a bit, but that's okay.
Speaker 2: If Lowe's and Home Depot can do it, then so can so can we?
Speaker 3: Have I told you about how my daughter has been getting Halloween brained?
Speaker 2: You've told me a little bit about this. I've seen some some curious illustrations from your house as well.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Rachel may have showed you. Okay, So, my daughter is almost two years old, and I didn't do this on purpose. I don't know how this happened. She has become obsessed with skeletons, and so one of her favorite activities over the past I don't know, probably two or three weeks now, has been demanding that that my wife and I draw skeletons for her and extend, you know, any friends or family visiting the house. Also, they are supposed to draw skeletons. So we have big pieces of cardboard on the back porch and she'll she'll like lead you out under the porch and say, draw sketon. Draw sketon, and so we do, and then she wants another one, and another one and another one, and the demand for skeletons is unlimited. She will keep asking you to draw them until you just say no, I am done, no more skeletons. And then she also likes to name them. The other day, I think I drew four of them and they were named teeth, teeth, big teeth, and teeth, and so somehow, I don't know if it's genetic or whatever, but she she has got Halloween on the brain.
Speaker 2: Oh that's awesome. Yeah, you guys got to bust out some skeleton based media here.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't know if there are any child friendly skeleton movies.
Speaker 2: Now. I haven't watched it in a while, so I can't speak to anything that might be inappropriate in it. Because this is the case when you get into some of these older cartoons. But the nineteen twenty nine Skeleton Dance Silly Symphony from Walt Disney Dancing Skeletons. That is a lot of fun and pretty tame unless there's something that I am not remembering. At the top of my head, I think it's on Disney Plus, so maybe that's a good sign that maybe it's and there's nothing objectionable in it, But I'm not.
Speaker 3: Sure technically, I don't even know if she knows that skeletons are supposed to be scary. Maybe just no one has communicated to her that this is frightening material.
Speaker 2: Does she know that there's one inside each of us.
Speaker 3: We've talked about this. I don't know if the fact has really sunk in, but yeah, we've told her that she has a skeleton, and we all have skeletons. They're all under the skin.
Speaker 2: Such an exciting time.
Speaker 3: Oh but sorry to divert us along the Baby Looked at Me track. Today on Weird House Cinema, we are going to be talking about the nineteen seventy two train horror thriller Horror Express, Daring, Christ fh Lee, Peter Cushing, Sylvia Tortosa, and Telly Sivalis. Now you might automatically think based on the cast list, especially the first two names, that this is a Hammer Film production, but actually it is not. I have no proof of this, but I would suspect the filmmakers were consciously trying to get some Hammer special sauce on their product by casting both Lee and Cushing. That's your classic, you know, Dracula movie or Mummy movie, whatever it is. The Hammer Film's pairing. Usually Christph Lee is Dracula, Peter Cushing is van Helsing. Here they play with formula a little formula a little bit. Neither one of them is the villain of the film, but you do get both.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah, yeah. This was actually a British Spanish co production. On the British side of things, we have Benmark productions. They would go on to make or they made Psychomania, which came out this following year. Wonderful film that we've discussed in the show before.
Speaker 3: I think about Psychomania all the time. That was one of our supernatural biker movies. It is the one where the a British biker gang does witchcraft and realizes they can come back from the dead. I think, what's the catch? They just have to like really believe that it'll work or something, and so they get to come back from the dead and be undead biker revenants and ride around like knocking things over in grocery stores and terrorizing motorists.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's a wonderful film with a nice grim sense of humor at the heart of everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Ben Mar Productions. On the British side, and then on the Spanish side of things, we have Granada Films, which I'm not one certain on this, but as best I can tell, this is a separate entity from Granada Television, which was a British company named after a city in Spain that the founder had just visited on holiday. It was like Granada, That's that's what I should name my television production company. That'll go on to make Trelock Comes TV and so forth. This would be a separate Granada as far as I understand it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also separate from the Hello Matta, Hello Fata.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, of course. So Horror Express is a film we've been looking to do for a while and we just kind of wanted to line it up with core episodes of stuff to blow your mind that had to do with trains. So it finally worked. But This movie is a lot of things. It is a splendid looking period horror film and the hammer tradition set in Imperial Russia. It's a monster movie. It's a murder on a train story. It's also a science fiction tale with of the loosest and sloppiest sigh ever to back up some thigh but it also manages to stir the viewers' thoughts and imagination, even as it at times insults your understanding of science. It's a film built around the classically trained performances of Cushing and Lee, but it's also a showcase for native Spanish talent other international talent, and I guess the brasher acting style of America's Telly Savalis that's right.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to talk about his role.
Speaker 2: So again, there's a lot of things, but it is delightful, unique, and I think often highly effective as well. Like it does fill a little sloppy and loose in places, and can be a little confusing in places also, but I think largely succeeds, and that's why it's developed a cult following over the decades.
Speaker 3: It is known as ludicrous, but also I think it's super entertaining. The twists just keep coming, and they're very I don't know, to my mind at least very fun twists. It also, like you're saying, it has this excellent cast of unusual characters. I will say a limitation is the first time I saw it, my attention was slightly divided on first viewing, and I ended up mixing up several of the characters in my head and getting extremely confused as to who was who. I think I was mixing up Inspector Mirov and the engineer who knows about science and rockets and gravity, and then I was also mixing up Sylvia Tortosa and Helga Line possibly some other characters as well. Also, I showed this movie to some good friends last night, and I could tell it a couple of parts. I think they were confused because they had mixed up a couple of characters. Also, so warning it is one of those sometimes this happens, especially with older movies. But do not let that discourage you. Horror Express is just wonderful. Even if you get a few of the characters mixed up, it's gonna be okay. Also, despite the problems it creates with remembering all the different identities, the large cast of characters is useful for the plot because the monster really runs through them at a quite efficient pace. Yeah, a couple of other acting notes about this. I was thinking about this movie made me think about how there are really two different types of Christopher Lee Rolls. So Christopher Lee, I think you could argue, is the main protagonist of this film, though I don't know. It's more of an ensemble cast. I would say, but Christph Lee is like the person who speaks in the opening narration, so we're with him before anyone else. And so the two different types of Christopher Lee Rolls are the jolly, ironic Christopher Lee and the severe Christopher Lee. And in this movie we do get the severe christ fher Lee. I would say. The jolly Christopher Lee prototype in my mind is the Lord Somerle performance in The Wickerman. And there are two very different kinds of presences. And so maybe we can talk later on about, you know, what the difference in feeling is and why you deploy each one. But I thought that was kind of interesting because he's also with Peter Cushing in this film, and Peter Cushing kind of gets to be the more jolly or ironic version of Christopher Lee here Peter Cushing usually I don't know, he plays a slightly cheekier, jollier, more enthusiastic character than Peter Cushing often does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Peter Cushing and what I saw an extra with the director of this film pointed out that Peter Cushion could often play a warmer character. Now, at the same time, Peter Cushion could also play evil characters and could play you know, ridiculous and silly characters. He was a highly skilled and professional actor. But yeah, Christopher Lee, there's the jolly and there's the stern. Though it is clear which one of these two Christopher Lees, you know, cash the paychecks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, it's the.
Speaker 2: Stern Christopher Lee that most people wanted to cast. And so there's even a spectrum there where you have like the stern hero side of things, like the lead character and the devil rides out, Yes, which.
Speaker 3: Simon, I'd rather see you dead than practicing black magic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a character that is at once the hero and also so stern as to be thoroughly.
Speaker 3: Unlikable, constantly sending other characters to bed. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And in this film, we you know, we have a stern Christopher Lee. That also has a few wrinkles to the character that I think make it a little more interesting than that. And then of course there's a whole other realm of stern villain Christopher Lee, where you have the likes of Dracula and sorrow Man. So yeah, this is this is I think one of the more nuanced and human Christopher Lee performances we've discussed on the show before.
Speaker 3: Yes, this severe Christopher Lee is very different than the one in The Devil Rides Out, the one in The Devil Rides Out. This is a good point you make, and the Devil Rides Out, he is moralistic and paternalistic, and that's not how he is here. Instead, he is very a cold and amoral and intellectual until he sort of has to have a heroic moment at the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and is also eventually self aware a little bit. Yeah, Like there's a part where a character asks him if he doesn't care about the people that have died so far, which at that point was like a thief and a man that worked in the baggage car, and he's like, no, I don't care, but I should. Like it's an interesting wrinkle to the character that he realizes that he's cold and insensitive, and he should strive to be better.
Speaker 3: I would be a better man if I did care. Yeah. But also on the acting front, I think this movie is interesting because it is part of a category of films that you might call the third act takeover films, in films in which a brand new character shows up in the final third of the movie and completely seizes command of the screen. I don't know if you would agree with me, but that's how I feel. That's what I feel Telly Savalis does in this movie. Once Telly Savalis shows up, the movie just becomes the Tellisavalis show until he is until he is dispatched by the monster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, I agree. It's interesting too that he was clearly prominently featured in the promotional material for this movie, but he doesn't show up for an hour, and even then it's like he's not really he's not a major character. He plays an important role and when he is on screen thoroughly captivating. But yeah, definitely a third act takeover. I like that terminology.
Speaker 3: Listeners right in with other examples of this. I want to start making a list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I guess one of the chief examples would be Kurts and Apocalypse Now another charismatic bald man performance. Yeah, so, I don't know how many third act takeovers are by charismatic bald men. I would be interested to know. Maybe it's just these two listeners. Let us know, all right, what's the elevator pitch here, Joe?
Speaker 3: Well, so, the official tagline on the poster is I think one of the worst I've ever heard. It says, your non stop ride to Hell boards at eight pm? Can it be stopped? I don't know. Is it NonStop or isn't it? I think that could. That could stand a bit of work shopping.
Speaker 2: But I do like that it gets into some of the ideas we discussed about train horror fiction on the core episodes of Stuff to Blow Your Mind this week, the idea that the train cannot be stopped, that the train is a journey of fate. Yes, and perhaps that fate is very much in question. What will happen to us at the end of this line?
Speaker 3: M Yeah, that's a good point. But what's our weird house cinema elevator pitch? I'm gonna say, climb aboard a human being, disembark with butt cheek brain.
Speaker 2: I feel like you're gonna have to go ahead and explain butt cheek brain. So people, No, you're not just being ann here.
Speaker 3: No, just wait, wait, the listeners will wait. We'll talk about it in the plot section.
Speaker 2: All right, it is related to the plot. It is related to the plot. All right. Let's go ahead and listen to just a little bit of the trailer audio from this picture because it has some fun narration boo. For two million years, in these subterranean caves, a creature of superhuman evil was entombed in a wall of ice, waiting to be free, waiting to live again. Travel with us on the journey into a world where nightmare.
Speaker 1: Becomes reality. Are you telling me that, at eight two million years ago, got off to that crate, kill the baggage man and put.
Speaker 3: Him in there.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am, it's alive.
Speaker 3: It must be. Travel with us if you dare on the Horror Express.
Speaker 2: All right, If you would like to go watch Horror Express before proceeding with the rest of this episode, we encourage it. Go watch it or rewatch it. It is widely available. I watched it on the excellent severin Blu Ray, rented from Atlanta's own videodrome here. There also seems to be an excellent Aero Films Blu ray with many of the same special features. I'm not sure which one is the most recent release and which one's more easily accessible if you're ordering this online, but as usual, we just urge you to watch it in the best quality find, be that physical or digital, because it's actually a great looking film, and I think it long circulated in subpar quality, so yeah, get as good of a cut as you can find.
Speaker 3: There. I think is a version streaming on Amazon Prime that does not look very good, So I don't know if there are multiple versions on there. Maybe there's a better looking one than the one I initially watched, but at least one of them on there is not the best, so yeah, seek it out in the good quality. Also, you know, we were talking about how the cast list seems to be trying to call to mind Hammer films. It also looks like a Hammer film, And did you notice that the use of the technicolor, the sets, the photography, the costumes, it's all. It has an extremely Hammer reminiscent visual style.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, I think they do a great job of creating a like a period look that you completely buy, even as the film delves increasingly into speculative and wild territory. All right, let's talk about the people involved here, Beginning with the director. It's Eugenio Martin, who lived nineteen twenty five through twenty twenty three, Spanish director, probably best known internationally anyway for this film and a handful of other horror pictures. Nineteen sixty two's Hypnosis, nineteen seventy one is The Fourth Victim starring Carol Baker, nineteen seventy three is a Candle for the Devil starring Judy Gleeson, nineteen eighty's The House and the Outskirts, and nineteen eighty two's Return of the Poltergeist, which features one of the best bits of terrible VHS box art ever.
Speaker 3: Is that the one that looks like a like a werewolf aerobic exercise tape.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it's scripping a bowling ball or something. I don't know, but it looks pretty wild. He also directed the nineteen sixty six western The Ugly Ones and the nineteen seventy two film Pancho Villa starring Telly Savas, and the film Panchovia is actually a key to understanding this film. So that was an Italian Spanish spaghetti western featuring several connections to this film, but most notably the train itself, which the producers had purchased for the production of Pancho Villa, and in order to maximize their investment, they said, well, what else can we do with this train? Let's do another train movie. Somebody get me another script, and this eventually led to the creation of the script for Horror Express, reusing the same train, so you know the slash location, slash train and presumably the really I thought excellent train model. So any of these external, moving wide shots of the train in this movie are model shots.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, I didn't realize that. I thought some of them were real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, same here. It wasn't until I went into the extras on the disc and there's an interview with the director here with Martin, and he's like, oh, yeah, we had a lot of fun with this train, Like Peter Cushion and Christopher Lee were there with me and we would just run this train around. But it's like a large scale model, so it doesn't look as small. And they did a I think a great job with the landscapes for it, so excellent model train, Like you don't even think about it being a model train until like one key scene towards the end of the picture.
Speaker 3: We were talking in our episode about the Green Slime about how I love miniature models even when they're bad. But these are good. These are like really realistic, solid, excellent looking crossing the Siberian landscape.
Speaker 2: All right, Moving on to the riders, we have Arnaud Dussau, who lived nineteen sixteen through nineteen ninety American playwright and B movie screenwriter, The son of noted Silent era screenwriter and director Leon do So and actress O'tala Nesmith. Arnault here wrote some serio plays. He wrote nineteen forty one's Lady Scarface as well as a handful of other projects, but his career seems to have been impacted by the Hollywood Blacklist in nineteen fifty. He was also a writer on nineteen seventy three Psychomania. Likewise, we should mention that this film, as with Pancho Villa, was produced by American writer producer Bernard Gordon, who was also forced to work in exile, mostly in Spain, due to the Hollywood Blacklist. His productions include Flesh and Fury from fifty two, Earth Versus The Flying Saucers from fifty six, fifty five, Days at Pee King from sixty three, and The Day of the Triffids nineteen sixty three. On some films he ended up working like uncredited due to his blacklisted status.
Speaker 3: Mmmm. Oh but wait, So with Dusseau here, it's not just the same production company on the British side as Psychomania, but literally one of the same writers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, two very different films. Like they don't feel like spiritual siblings, but in a sense they are. I guess, can dgin.
Speaker 3: If Christopher Lee had been in Psychomania, how good it would be?
Speaker 2: Oh man, Yeah, yeah, I mean there was a role for him there, but yeah, it would have been a yeah, it would have been a different trajectory for that picture. I think, you know, if you get a name like Lee in there. Let's see, there's another writer credit, and that's Julian Zimmett, who lived nineteen nineteen through twenty seventeen, American born writer whose other screenwriting credits include Pancho Villa and Psychomania.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Now getting into the cast here, we have a number of repeat performers for weird house. So as usual for names like this, we're not going to go add deep into their filmographies. We're just going to maybe try and put them in the context of this production. Starting at the top top build, we have of course Christopher Lee playing Professor Sir Alexander Saxton. Lee lived nineteen twenty two through twenty fifteen, British horror legend. I here cast as as we said, essentially the good guy scientist. He's, you know, but it's also again it's interesting because he's a bit cold, but he's he acknowledges that he's a bit too cold and unfeeling. He's also the guy who unleashes a murderous monster on everyone. And he's also I thought I enjoyed some of the details about him being a bit naive about the realities of international travel.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. When he first shows up at the train station at the beginning of the movie, you know, he can't get aboard the train and he's like, but I have arranged I have arranged passage, and they're like, yeah, sorry, you're not on the books. And then Peter Cushing just walks in. He's like, you're supposed to pay them a bribe. Look, here's the here's how you do the bribe, and Lee is like, I refuse and instead just like throws all the guy's stuff off his desk and bullies him into getting him on the train. So, yeah, I don't know what's what's the morally superior act there to participate in a corrupt system and give a bribe or to or to bully the station master until they let you on the train.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess there's maybe a case to be made that they're both they're both examples of some sort of British ideal.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, So this film came out the same year as Dracula AD nineteen seventy two, and also alongside the London underground cannibal film Deathline, as well as there's a Spanish absurdist movie that has Lee in it from the same year as well, umbrackel Oom Broussel. I'm not sure exactly how to say this, but a less known absurdist film. I don't know that Lee even has a big role in it, but he is credited.
Speaker 3: I don't know anything about that. Are we going to talk about Deathline one day?
Speaker 2: I hope. So that is a film about underground Cannibals. It has Christopher Lee in a very typical Christopher Lee role, but then it has Donald Pleasance in a wonderfully atypical casting as a blue collar police inspector. It's a lot of fun, but the monsters just kind of like gross.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's Cannibal's in the tube. I think we talked about this movie not in a weird house, but we talked about it in passing. In a core episode we did about the London underground mosquitoes.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, that's right, that's right. Peter Cushing, of course, is in this plays Doctor Wells. He lived nineteen thirteen through nineteen ninety four, legendary horror icon frequently co star, and Cushing's character has elements of his often type cast role as a relatable elder scientist or investigator, though again with a few added touches of a proper British scoundrel that I liked. You know, he knows how to bribe local officials. He seems to be maybe a bit of a flirt.
Speaker 3: He's got a bit more of a twinkle in his eye in this movie than he does in a lot of his roles. More often, he plays a very straight forward. Good guy here. He's a bit of a rascal, and I like that.
Speaker 2: This film is notable in Cushing's careers. It occurs, as a number of other films do in this period, directly following the death of his wife Violet, which orally had it just a devastating effect on him, to the point that he initially expressed his desire to just not do this film. He apparently like flew out to meet the director and was like, look, I wanted to tell you this in person, but I don't think I can do this. And it was Christopher Lee, who was not only his frequent co star but a close friend, who convinced him to press on, you know, to keep working and supported him through the production. And Cushing seems to have, yeah, really thrown himself into work during this period, because there are six different films from this year featuring Cushing. There's Tales from the Crypt, Dracula eighty nineteen seventy two, Doctor Five's Rises Again, Asylum, Fear the Night, and Horror Express. And really, I mean, Cushing is always such a consummate professional and so great on screen. You know. I see people review these films and discuss ways in which they can see this effect on his performance, but I've never been able to see that. I feel like like Cushing is still the consummate pro. He's still great at embodying a character on screen. I don't, for my money, I would not notice this inner suffering that may have been going on at a time. Again, it's a fun role and not you know, sometimes he would play, even in films from around this time period, a more haunted character, which I guess might reflect what he was going through more. But this is this is not a haunted character. This is a guy who's I think, mostly having a good time as he travels across the continent. M all right, we mentioned Telly Savalas. This is the first time we've talked about a film with Telly Savalis. He plays a Cossack by the name of Captain Kazan, who, again, as you said, shows up an hour into the picture in the third act.
Speaker 3: If you've only seen the movie once a long time ago, you will probably misremember him as being there throughout the entire movie because he makes such an impression when he shows up. As we said earlier, he just takes over once he arrives, and it's his movie until he's gone, yeah.
Speaker 2: Plus, I mean it is the kind of character he plays. It's a yeah, a belligerent captain who is tyrannical to everybody except for the you know, the count of the Countess. So yeah. Savalis lived nineteen twenty two through nineteen ninety four. Third build on this and often a key part of the promotion for the film, even though he doesn't appear till later. It's a very memorable role. He believes it brings a lot of chaotic energy, you know, a different acting style. Martin and the extras talked about how with Cushing and Lee you got pretty much the same, the same thing every take because they, you know, they had everything down in their head and they knew exactly how they were going to play it, and they'd give you the same thing again. But Savalis had just a different operating method in place, Like he might try radically different things. He'd want to mix it up, he'd want other things to be different so that he could like act off of them. And I think you see that in some of these when he's a board, he's like he's take a shot of vodka and just throwing the shot glass, you know, across the train car. Things like that do feel wild, and he has essentially taken the whole train hostage during the sequence as well, so it makes sense.
Speaker 3: What would you say the alignment of this character is. I feel like he vacillates between sort of chaotic neutral, lawful evil and then chaotic evil.
Speaker 2: I think, so, yeah, there's a waffling there. He's there to just impose his will as much as actually solve anything. But we'll get more into the details of his arrival when we get to it in the plot. But you know American actor here, who's TV credits date back to the late nineteen fifties. He came up in radio and then television insteadily got more and more into TV acting and then film. But everything apparently changed for him when he finally shaved that beautiful head of his for the role of Pontia's Pilot and the Greatest Story Ever told from nineteen sixty five, a look that he's stuck with for the rest of his life. He obviously had a great nag for playing tough guys, heavies, villains, and characters of dubious moral character, which of course culminates in such roles as Blofeld in nineteen sixty Nine's On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
Speaker 3: That's a James Bond movie that kind of stands out because it was the only film to feature George Lazenby in the role of James Bond. But it also stands out for a number of reasons. A lot of people rank it as like one of the best or the best of the series. I really love it because it has Diana Rigg as the character of Teresa, who James Bond gets married to. People forget that James Bond gets married in one of these movies. Yeah, she locked him down briefly. Unfortunately the movie ends tragically with her death, but yeah, Telly Sabalis is the villain in this one. He plays Blofeld, a Blofeld who is oddly concerned with trying to get a claim to being part of some kind of kind of British nobility verified by some kind of I don't know, a house that like verifies your heraldry or something. So that's like James Bond's in into Blofeld's organization in this movie. He pretends to be somebody who like verifies that somebody is part of a British aristoocratic line, and so Blofeld is doing that, and he's running an allergy clinic I think in the Swiss Alps, and so there are all these people there who are trying to get cured of their allergies. And so that leads to this bizarre Telesivalis recorded monologue where somebody was apparently allergic to chicken and he's he's giving this hypnotic speech about adote. You remember how I taught you to love chickens, their taste, their voice.
Speaker 2: Oh man, it's been a while since I've seen that one. Yeah, let's see. He also played a memorable, memorable sinister role in Mario Bavo's Lisa and the Devil from seventy three. I say memorable, but I I really couldn't make it through that picture. Maybe it was just the wrong time for me to try and watch it.
Speaker 3: I love Mario bava That was one of my least favorites of his that I've tried to watch.
Speaker 2: He also played El Sleie'zo Tough in nineteen seventy nine is the Muppet Movie?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Silvalis is one of those guys that, especially as his career matured, he became like just a staple like celebrity, you know, he was just He's Telly Savalis, who loves your baby. He did a lot of action films and various European productions, though including in nineteen seventy one spaghetti western titled A Town called Bastard that I've heard good things about, and on TV. He's best remembered for, of course, playing police detective and lollipop aficionado Kojak, with a whole thing being of course that Kojack is quit smoking, so he's using lollipops all the time to stand in for cigarettes or what have you, which apparently is what Telly Savalas himself was doing in real life.
Speaker 3: Dentists hate him.
Speaker 2: Savallas is apparently a big personality and had a reputation for if you were his friend, you know, he stood up for you, he'd help you out, he'd get you some work. And we'll get to an example of that here in a bit when we get to the music for this film.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, oh, but hey, hold on, This movie essentially has a rasputant in it that we've got to talk about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is this character's name again? It's father Pujar Gardov Yeah, played by the excellent Alberto de Mendoza of nineteen twenty three through twenty eleven. Sometimes Mendoza's given higher billing than Savalis, as he should, because he plays a far more pivotal and I think equally memorable role in the picture. A resputant esque Eastern Orthodox monk and advisor to the Count and countest, just a wonderful screen presence, a real worm tongue who begins starts out devoted to the mysteries of our Lord, but is ready to instantly jump ship to Satan or any other power that provides better evidence of the unseen world.
Speaker 3: Is actually a scene earlier in the movie where I realized upon second viewing this is telegraphed because he presents himself as a principled man of God who will not be swayed. And then late, yeah, later he jumpship to Satan. But early on there's a scene where he's like trying to convince the Count and Countess not to do something unseemly or evil, and the Count is like, shut up, I am the Count, I rule over you, and Father Pujardov is like, forgive me, Master, I guess.
Speaker 2: Wasn't it like she was gonna wear a blue dress or something.
Speaker 3: She was gonna wear. She was going to wear, I think a somewhat revealing dress while she goes and makes an appeal to the Englishman because you know, they know they can, you can manipulate the Englishman with a bit of bosom showing, and so that's the idea. And he's like, no, no, no, you can't do that. And then the count is like, but I am in charge, and he's like, that's right, you are in charge.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It is a This is such a fun character. Mendoz is great. He was an Argentine actor who, in addition to work in Argentine cinema, also crossed over into numerous spaghetti westerns and European productions for a time. His many credits include seventy one's Lizard in a Woman's Skin and the Case of the Scorpion's Tale, as well as nineteen seventy six is The People Who Own the Dark. This last one, The People Who Owned the Dark, also featured Spanish horror icon Paul Nashi in a small role. Incidentally, I've seen this role of Father PUJARDIV incorrectly credited to Paul Nashi, including on the current Wikipedia page for Horror Express. What Yeah, I don't know. I mean, I guess there's sort of a reism once there. But as much as I love Paul Nashi, he is not in this film. It's Alberto de Mendoza and he's incredible.
Speaker 3: That's funny. I know I looked at that wiki, but I did not catch that mistake. That's funny, not Paul Nash.
Speaker 2: All right. We mentioned the Countess, Countess Irina Petrowski played by Silvia torteu So who lived nineteen forty seven through twenty twenty four. Spanish actress active from sixty four through at least twenty twenty one, if I remember correctly. We've discussed her on the show before because she appeared in Armando Diosario's nineteen seventy three film The Lareles grasp Here. She's a Russian countess de facto damsel in distress and wife to the Count Marian Petrowski played by Argentine actor Jorge Regod who lived nineteen oh five through nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 3: She's also quite good in this and has some very funny scenes where she's trying to butter up the Englishman being like, oh, you know, we love England. We'll get more into this later. While she's holding a dog that's squirming and basically screaming to get out of her arms.
Speaker 2: Oh god, that's a great scene because of course the father of Prijordov is like, he smells death. This train smells like death.
Speaker 3: Yes, the dog smells the devil on the strain. But she's great. But I forgot that Silvia Tortosa was also in The Luralized Grasp because we have at least two actors who are in lauralized Grasp. But don't we Helga Line is in this.
Speaker 2: Yes, Helgaalnee she played the l in The Lauralis Grasp and she was also in seventy three's horror Rizes from the Tomb, part of the Occult Power couple with Paul Mashi. And in this she plays Natasha, a suspicious character on the train, a very stylish character who wears this like green dragon dress. But yeah, she as we've previously discussed, she you know, stunning German born redhead who played a lot of a lot of fem fatles but also a lot of supernatural vixens in both of the films. That we've covered. She plays some sort of supernatural creature or being or you know, magic user, and here she's it's a little less exciting, but she's still it's still always a treat when she's in a picture, Like, what's she up to? Probably nothing good. It may not be raising the dead, but she's got some sort of scheme. You just know it. And then oh, we have the character Inspector Mirov played by Julio Pena lived nineteen twelve through nineteen seventy two, another great role in the picture, a doomed investigator aboard the Horror Express. He was a Spanish actor with credits going back to nineteen thirty who died shortly after the completion of this film.
Speaker 3: It's funny we're saying the Horror Express, like that is the name of the train canonically in the film.
Speaker 2: It is not.
Speaker 3: I don't remember what they call it, but I think it's supposed to be going on the Trans Siberian Railroad, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the Spanish title, the actual original title, translates to like panic on the Trans Siberian Railway or something, So nobody calls it the Horror Express, but it's easy to think of it as like all aboard Horror Express leaving. Yeah, pack up your possessed apes, it's time to go, all right. A couple of the small credits here. The baggage man is very memorable. This is Victor Israel, who lived nineteen twenty nine through two thousand and nine. Prolific Spanish actor with something like two hundred and fifteen credits. Very memorable face, very memorable eyes. He's got a look. He's bald, but with tremendous mutton chops. Yeah. And then oh, this is one of those situations where I can't even point out which role he's playing here, he's just one of the Russian guards. But it is a Spanish actor, Jose Canalas, who lived nineteen twenty five through twenty fifteen. He played the creepy character Murdo in nineteen seventy three's Return of the Blind Dead that we talked about in the show previously.
Speaker 3: Oh, the kind of gravedigger guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the grave digger guy who sells out the town to undead templars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, Okay, looked a bit like Stephen King. Do I remember that?
Speaker 2: Right? Yep, yep, So you have fun role in that here he's basically invisible, but he's in there somewhere. And then finally the composer. It's John Cassavas who lived nineteen thirty through twenty fourteen. There's a fun interview with him on as a Blu Ray extra on a couple of the discs that I referenced earlier American composer who'd previously worked as an arranger on sixty seven's The Dirty Dozen, and did I believe the theme song for Pancho Villa. He'd previously met Telly Savalis in London and the two became fast friends. So Savalas helped him break into film scores with this movie. And I have to say it's a pretty fun score. You got this like haunting little melody that keeps recurring. And then how would you describe the electric guitar work in this picture?
Speaker 3: Joe ah Well, full disclosure. Actually just had to pause recording for a second to go look it up because I'd forgotten what you were referring to. But yeah, it's an interesting electric guitar sound. I mean, in some cases it's almost a bit surf rock. There's a lot of reverb, it's a kind of echoee vibe, electric guitar sound, some kind of droning notes, a lot of arpeggios, but then also yeah, it'll hit a big chord and just.
Speaker 2: Bah, I love it. Cassavas composed the scores as well to nineteen seventy three's The Satanic Rites of Dracula, various other pictures, and moved into TV work in Hollywood, working on a number of mainstream TV series, including of course Kojak. Because who loves your baby, Tellis Savalis loves you and can help you get some work. So that's the fun connection. Back to tell Savalis sticking up for his friends, the Cassavas. Here in the interview, extra has shares a story about how he was He met Savalis at a hotel and Savalas was like, I'm gonna go up and take a nap, and so Cassavas is waiting downstairs, and like some guy comes in who had worked with them on a previous picture, and like Savalas comes down and gives him, you know, a couple hundred bucks or something. You know, it's just apparently always doing things like that for people that were in his good graces.
Speaker 3: All right, are you ready to talk about the plot.
Speaker 2: Yes, let's jump right into it.
Speaker 3: All right, A couple of things right at the top of this section here. First of all, I will say this movie has a number of twists and reveals in it that I found mighty pleasing to experience for myself. They're ludicrous twists, and so I would be really sad if I spoiled them without warning, so be warned. I think this movie is a lot of fun to see without having anything spoiled and to get to experience the WTF moments for yourself, so please do take that into consideration. I think this one is really fun to learn the weird developments in real time as you watch it. But if you haven't seen it and you want to keep listening anyway, that is okay. One thing I will do to kind of preserve some of the surprise later on, though we are going to talk about some of the weirdest reveals, is I think we'll get fuzzier in our description of the plot as we go on, so we might kind of do a pretty detailed first act description and then and then zoom out to to focus more on the on the big movements. Yeah, so the credits begin with kind of sad, dreamy music. It's this melody that we will hear repeated many times throughout the film, sometimes whistled by a mysterious character. You don't know quite who it is, but the other characters are hearing it, sometimes played by the Countess on the piano, sometimes just in the background on the soundtrack, But we get this sad, dreamy melody. We see the darkness of a tunnel, blinding headlamps in the distance, and the sound of railcars clattering over the tracks. The action begins with a long pan over a chain of black, jagged mountaintops with a starless blue twilight behind them, and the unmistakable voice of Christopher Lee comes in narrating. Here's what Christopher Lee says. He says, the following report to the Royal Geological Society by the undersigned Alexander Saxton is a true and faithful account of events that befell the Society's expedition in Manchuria. As the leader of the expedition, I must accept responsibility for its ending in disaster, but I leave to the judgment of the honorable members the decision as to where the blame for the catastrophe lies. After seeing the whole movie. I think I know where the blame lies. I'm not that it seems pretty clear to me. Another thing about the beginning of this movie is that we are getting constantly contradictory signals about geographic locations within China. Did you notice this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, this is one of the areas where the film feels a little sloppy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Like, so, the monologue says that they're in Manchuria, but then there's a title on the screen that says the mountains are in Sichuan Province, which are different places. And then later when we get to the train station, there's a title on the screen that says it's in Pea King, which is Beijing, but the characters are talking about being in Shanghai.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, So back to either Sichuan Province or Manchuria, whichever it's supposed to be. As this monologue unfolds, we see a team of men dressed in heavy furs tramping through the remote mountains in the snow, and then they come upon an icy cavern with Christopher Lee in command. So he's going into the cavern with an old man as a guide. And in this role, Christopher Lee, he has a very I don't know, it's a very pompous kind of look, even for Christopher Lee. He's sporting a black mustache, He's wearing a long red scarf and has this tall, boxy fur hat. I love his look for the outdoor weather here. But the question is what lies within the cave. Why it's a humanoid figure frozen solid in ice. So it's a toothy, waxy dude, a bit skeletal and a bit resinous, with sunken eyes and missing the cartilage part of the nose. And of course we get a dramatic music cue and a zoom in on the skeleton when they find it. Or is it a skeleton? I guess it does have flesh on it.
Speaker 2: We're getting into one of the big questions of the picture here, and that is what is a fossil because the movie Share as Hell doesn't seem to know it.
Speaker 3: Does a stone robbed? A fossil means a stone.
Speaker 2: Yes, But then also it can thaw out and move around. It's like there's, yeah, there's some inconsistency regarding the condition of this specimen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we see later that this fossil quote unquote has you know, a frozen body slash fossil has been locked inside a large crate wrapped in a canvas cloth and chains with a padlock, and Saxton's companions are hauling the box down the mountain side. So they eventually arrive at a train station. Again the confusion because the thing on the screen says it's in Peaking, and then characters start talking about being in Shanghai. It's possible I'm just missing something or confused here, but it really it looks to me like a goof on the filmmaker's part. But anyway, either way, Saxton is here at the train station looking to transport his great find back to Europe by way of the Trans Siberian Railroad. And here's where we get to the drama about Saxton having booked passage on this train weeks in advance, but when he arrives, the station master is like, yeah, sorry, nothing, Yeah, I don't have any record of this, and so he's supposed to be paying a bribe, but eventually he just kind of muscles his way onto the train by throwing the station masters all the contents of his desk on the floor. I think he also gets some backup because some British soldiers arrive and they're like, station master, do what Christopher Lee says and they're like, okay, I will anyway. Here at the train station, Saxton runs into a couple of other characters. We meet another scientist. I think he's supposed to be a friendly professional rival, but either way, he's known to Saxon and his name is doctor Wells. This is the character played by Peter Cushing. Did you interpret him as a professional rival, like they sort of know each other, but they're working at odds against one another in a way.
Speaker 2: Yes, we don't really learn a lot regarding Wells's activities, like why exactly he's out this far and he seems reluctant to really engage in his profession. Like there's a great scene earlier where they're like, doctor, we need you, and he's like, well, can it wait till I finish my meal? You know, he's not eager to get to work. He's like, I'm just going to enjoy this train ride.
Speaker 3: They're clearly both members of the Royal Society, because Wells is very curious about what Saxton has discovered and Saxton is like, you will find out about it when I present to the Royal Society.
Speaker 2: I guess there is some evidence there for if they're not rivals. He he's very curious to the point of paying somebody to mess with the crate. Yeah, so not quite sabotage his work, but like, if you need to remove some screws on this, great, if you need to drill a few holes and it, go for it. Yeah, here's here's a twenty.
Speaker 3: Yes, but within the context of this plot. Once again, Christopher Lee's character is very rigid and brittle and serious, and Doctor Wells is a little more. He goes with the flow. Yeah. Also, we meet doctor wells assistant, a bacteriologist named Miss Jones, played by Alice Reinhardt, and I love her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wasn't familiar with her. She lived nineteen ten through nineteen ninety three, and this was one of her last films, but it came off a lot of TV and radio work. I think she was like a staple in TV soap operas for a very long time. I'm sorry, radio soap operas, but possibly TV soap operas as well, but definitely radio soap operas.
Speaker 3: Ah, Okay, well, yeah, I like her. She makes it. She makes like some cheeky jokes. Yeah, and you know so. Wells describes Saxon to Miss Jones by saying he dabbles in fossils and bones. I think a little bit of ribbing there no pun intended, but anyway, they are going to be aboard the train where Saxton is looking to get a spot. Now, as the two scientists are catching up out on the platform, Saxton's crate is waiting to be loaded in with the rest of the freight, and a thief comes along. A thief in a very well dressed thief in like a brand new hat comes along and picks the lock on the box or on the chains holding the box shut. He wants to get what's inside. But shock when we cut back to the crate a few moments later, a local man finds there's like a body sprawled out on the ground on the platform, and the local man pulls the sheet from over the body and reveals that it is a dead man. It is the thief, and he's dead and only the whites of his eyes are showing pure white. Also, the viewing slot on the crate is hanging mysteriously open.
Speaker 2: It's a shame that this nameless thief played here by Hiroshi Kitatawa is really the only Asian character in the film, despite a clear Asian setting and numerous background Asian characters throughout the picture. So I would say missed opportunity here.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep. So the thief is lying dead on the ground, and then a strange monk comes out of nowhere or actually so, I don't know exactly about all the offices and hierarchies of the Russian Orthodox Church, but I don't know. But I think this guy is presented as a monk, but people are also calling him father, which in my knowledge, which would mostly come from Catholicism, I think would be a priest and not a monk. I think a monk would be brother. But I don't know. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about there. Anyway, they call somebody calls him a monk, but he's also called father. He is some kind of religious official. He's in all black. He kneels next to the thief's body and he begins to chant. And this is father Poojardov. Again. He has notes of Rasputant, a tangled, greasy, black beard, haunted eyes. I think they put like dark makeup under his eyes to make him look look kind of unwell in some way. He looks like a man who has obsessions and who is maybe just like not doing so hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, a lot of a lot of worm telling energy to this character. Again, I love him anytime he's on the screen. Yeah, he's a treat.
Speaker 3: Now we meet another character as well. This is Inspector Mirov, who is a guy who has sideburns connecting to a mustache with no beard. So that's a good look. He arrives on the platform and says that he knew the dead man. He was a locksmith who operated as a thief on the side. Or he calls him a locksmith. I don't know if maybe that just means like he's a thief who was good at picking locks, but anyway, he says that he could open any lock with a hairpin, and then father Poojardov says, but wait a minute, how could this guy be a thief because he is blind and they show his face again referring to the all white eyes, and Inspector Mirov is shocked to see this and he says, like, my god, implying he was not like this before. So he's previously known to this policeman, but was not always like this, So something has happened to him, and Pujardov starts to get really amped up here he says that it's the work of the devil, and then he turns his attention to the crate. He runs over to the crate starts shaking it to pry it open, but he is interrupted by Saxton. So Christopher Lee comes out wearing this tall black what do you call this kind of hat? I don't know, It's like the sort of cylindrical black Russian hat, and he says, can I be of any assistance father, And Poujardov says, you know, whatever you've got in this crate here is unholy and it must be destroyed. And Saxton explains to Inspector Mirov that the death could not have been caused by the contents of the crate because the crate contains only fossils. And here is where we get the explanation. Mirov is like, what is a fossil? I've never heard of that, and Saxton explains that a fossil is a stone. Now, for some reason, Poojardov is not calmed by this. He's like stones, And then we get a chiming of an ominous bell, which at first I thought was on the soundtrack, but I think it's actually the train. It's a you know, diegetic sound effect of the train. And then Father Poujardov goes on to explain, quote, where there is God, there is always a place for the cross, even on this stone floor. Just so. So he pulls out a piece of chalk and he draws across on the train platform, and then he says, but Satan is evil, and where there is evil, there is no place for the cross. And then he tries to draw across on the canvas on the side of the crate, and the chalk won't leave a mark. I have questions about this. Does chalk normally draw well on canvash this?
Speaker 2: This is ludicrous, you know, It's like this seems like a place for something that's a little more ambiguous, like birds will not light on this crate, which means there's something on holy in it, or you know, a common thing is oh well, cats hiss at it, dogs bark at it, that sort of thing. But you can't draw on it with chalk. It's a little harder to buy, like you probably can. And if you can't, the answer is entirely material. It's not based on like holiness.
Speaker 3: Well, it's even more than that. So it's not just that you can't draw on it. It's that you can't draw a cross.
Speaker 2: So you should be able to at least start the cross and not finish it exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you should be able to draw like one line, but I don't know. The second line wouldn't work or something. Satan will tolerate a line, but if.
Speaker 2: You draw the cross upside down, Satan's okay with it. But then you flip the crate.
Speaker 3: What happened. Satan must know that you're planning on drawing across before you start, and that's why he won't even let you get the one line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at any rate, this is how it goes down. And of course the non religious types present don't buy it. They're like, this is some sort of a trick.
Speaker 3: Or whatever exactly. Saxton says, rubbish, a conjuous trick. Anyway, they take the body of the locksmith away. They load the fossil crate into the train and the baggage car. Somewhere in here, there's a moment where Saxton and Wells are standing next to the crate and the crate kind of groans, and then Saxton checks inside but nothing seems amiss. But Wells has questions. He's like, you know, ooh, I want to know, you know, what's in the crate. And Saxon isn't gonna tell him anything. He's like, you can read about it in the Society's annual report. You know, it's just a fossil. But Wells is not buying it. He's like, you heard it's making sounds. There is something alive in there, and Saxton is like, nope, nope, nothing a lot there. And there's some joke that really I think does not land very well. Wells says, you won't need to feed it then, and Saxton says the occupant hasn't eaten in two million years, and Wells says, that's one way to economize on food bills.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have. There are a few gags thrown in here at times between these two, and sometimes they land, sometimes they don't.
Speaker 3: I feel like that one could have used another few minutes in the writer's room.
Speaker 2: There's a good one coming up though.
Speaker 3: Now. As the train leaves the station for the Trans Siberian Railroad, we start to meet more of the characters. We meet the character of Countess Irena. This is Silvia Tortosa. She comes into the baggage car with a dog in her arms, and so, I don't know how you interpreted this. The dog is supposed to be freaking out because it doesn't like whatever's in the crate. But it looked to me like this dog was just not into filming this scene. It's like squirming trying to get out of her arms. It does not want to be in this movie.
Speaker 2: So maybe they didn't go with an actor dog. They went with just somebody's untrained pet.
Speaker 3: They got what they could get anyway. The countess is here to drop off a valuable parcel to be stored in the safe in the baggage car. She hands it off to the baggage man. But she also gets to meet our English heroes. So her intro is to come up to Christopher Lee and she's like, a Linka is afraid of whatever you have in that crate. The dog's name is a Linka, and he responds there's nothing in this crate that would interest a Linka, And then the conversation gets weird. The countess says, normally she likes englishmen all we polls do oh yes, England Queen Victoria crumpets Shakespeare. Okay, Saxton says, I admire Poland I believe there is a bond between our two countries. And then the Countess says, my husband, the count Petrowski says that in the fifteenth century, your king Henry betrayed us to the Russians. Mmmm, and Saxton's like, well, I apologize, And the whole time the dog is going nuts. Eventually, Saxton and the Countess leave to go back to the passenger carriage. He escorts her back to her car, but on the way we get to meet another character. He actually says, I think that he's an engineer, but he is our scientist character. This is Yev Tushenko, and Saxton stops along the way and leans into his compartment because he I don't know. I think he's dropped something or oh, yeah, it's a chess piece or something like that. No, no, no, well wait is it a chess piece or is it a piece of chalk? Because the scene involves a piece of chalk.
Speaker 2: Is so he is furiously playing chess with himself. The whole time we see pretty much, but this scene he does have the piece of chalk, because he's like, the piece of chalk that would not write on the crate. I collected it and I analyzed it, and it is just normal chalk bump bump.
Speaker 3: Bum, Right. I am an engineer, a scientist, and this is ordinary chalk. But I don't know how do you determine that. Are you a specialist in chalk? I'm I'm a I have a degree in chalk studies.
Speaker 2: I guess. Or then it also raises the question, It's like, like you could never just use mundane chalk to pull off some sort of a scam or a trick.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, yeah, that's right, So you have two Shanko is like, because I'm a scientist, I can verify that this should have written on the canvas on the side of the crate. Why did it not write on the crate? And Saxton says, hypnosis yoga. These mystics can be terribly convincing. They can even hypnotize themselves. It doesn't seem like an answer.
Speaker 2: The power of yoga can can definitely keep you from marking on things with chalk.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, Cushing is back in the baggage car and this is where he's offering a bribe to the baggage man to drill a hole in Saxony box and take a look at what's inside. Wells is really interested in this, he really wants to know. Later, we meet another character. We meet Helga Line as Natasha. She is in the compartment with Wells and she's like, I'm in trouble. I have to get out of Shanghai, but I don't have a ticket. I need to stay in your compartment. Oh and for some reason, also, Wells and Saxton are bunk mates on the train. It's just sort of an odd couple thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are parents, all three of them are staying in this one cabin somehow. Yes, so they're making it work, you know, but I'm not sure where everybody's sleeping here.
Speaker 3: Anyway. This is all working up to the very first murder on board the train. So we did have one murder at the station, but now something is on the train itself. So the baggage man, this is the bald guy with the tremendous mutton chops. He has been paid off by Wells to peek inside Saxton's crate and see what's in there. So in the night he drills a hole in the wood and he peeps in to see what's inside, and then he steps away for a minute. And while he has stepped away, we see a hairy fossil hand reaching out from the crate and ooh, it's good. It's a good hand. I was thinking of it as a were wolf hand. I know the creature is not a were wolf, but we see a lot of its body without seeing its face in the movie, and every time you see its hand or something, it's were wolf.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I guess. It's like it's technically supposed to be some sort of an ape creature, I guess, but it doesn't like straight up look like an ape creature. It's really if we see more and more of it, I think it's a pretty quality monster. A costume it like, it doesn't read just undead gorilla. It doesn't read were wolf. It feels unique unto itself.
Speaker 3: Sort of red eyed skeleton yetti.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, what does this wolfhand do? Well, it reaches out of out of the hole in the crate, and it feels around in its environment, and it finds a nail, and it picks up the nail and it bends the tip of the nail and then inserts the tip of the nail into the lock, the padlock on the chains around the crate and picks the lock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is it seems pretty astounding at this point. Usually you don't think about your crate dwellers being capable of creating an impromptu lock pick and dealing with a mechanism like this. Certainly the crate dweller in Stephen King's creep Show wouldn't have pulled this off, that's right. But it'll all make sense as we proceed.
Speaker 3: That's right. This creature has powers that the crate dweller does not. So the baggage man returns, and when he does, we get our first image of what happens. What the creature in this movie does to people. It is the eye beam lock. Wait, I guess that's kind of confusing because an i beam is actually something used in construction. But can we describe what it does? It looks out with red eyes into the eyes of its victim, and a type of fatal hypnosis begins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with I think a single red eye, like it only has one functional eyeball anymore, but it glows red and it instantly like captivates you and then has a fatal effect on you, leaving you with like boiled egg, white eyes, blood coming out of your pores and your face, and you are of course dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, pingpong ball eyes, blood coming out of the eyes, blood coming out of the nose, dead on the floor. And what happens after that, who knows. So anyway, elsewhere on the train, we go to the private car of Countess Irena, Father Poojardov, and a new character, Count Petrowski, IRENA's husband. So it's a luxurious first class cabin with fan furniture, drapes, embroidered drapes and so forth, and Pujardov is like, there's a stink of hell on this train. Even the dog knows it. And the Count and the Countess are discussing what dress the Countess should wear to best manipulate the Englishman, and Pujardov disapproves of this conversation. He's like, you're making a mockery, you're jesting with her immortal soul. And the count says, that's why we keep you, Pujardov. Our immortal souls are your concerns. So they're outsourcing holiness. And then after he has chastened Father Pujardov says, forgive me your excellency and my concern for the spiritual welfare of the Countess. I forgot myself. I will pray for humility, and the count says, pray hard, Poojardov, or you will find yourself praying for a job too. So Pujardov. You know he fancies himself this this unshakable principled man of God. But really he's a craven worshiper of power and he wants that paycheck.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love how he's like, you know, or else you'll find yourself praying for a job. But you know what, but Jordov is already shopping around. He's been updating his spiritual LinkedIn profile. He's ready to go.
Speaker 3: Oh. Also in the scene, it's notable that they the characters in this carriage, they hear the repeatedly whistled melody, you know, the melody that we heard in the opening credits, and the Countess tries to like play along on the piano.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I have no idea how I was supposed to interpret that is, this is the fossil beast whistling somewhere on the train and they're overhearing it. I'm not sure, but still it's such a great little creepy ditty. I'm happy to hear it every time they play it.
Speaker 3: Anyway, there is a confrontation after the baggage man goes missing. Inspector Mirov is sort of the police presence for this portion of the film, and he questioned Saxton on the crate. He's like, what exactly have you got in that crate? I need you to open it, And at one point he has his soldiers threatened. Threatened Saxton say give me the key to the padlock or or you know, or else. I guess we're gonna hit you with the butt of the s gun. And Saxton is very brittle as usual. He's like no, and he throws the key out the window of the moving train. That's how how protective he is of his quote fossil. But they get it open anyway. I think they just get a guy with an axe too. This is I remember, one of the least convincing looking effects shots in the movie is the guy using the axe to open the crate because he's just kind of going. But they get it open, and what do they find inside? Is it the fossil? No, it is the baggage man with the hard boiled egg eyes and the blood running down his face, and thus the murder mystery begins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not only did the fossil beasts pick the lock and climb out, but killed the man, put him back in in in his place inside the crate, and then locked it up.
Speaker 3: Okay, from here on I think we should we should go in a little bit less by scene detail and instead talk in some of the broad strokes. But there is a lot of good stuff left to discuss. One of the things is, oh, you remember there's this there's this great scene where some of the scientific themes of the movie are articulated. So the Countess comes to visit Professor Saxton in his room while they're all dining, you know. So there's a shot in the dining car where Professor Wells and I believe Natasha are having dinner and Wells ends up seeing a boiled fish and its eyeball is entirely white, and he's like, look, the eyeball is white, and yet yet Vushenko, oh yev Tushenko, I think is his name, he's there and he's like, oh, yes, of course it's white. It's a boiled fish, and this is a reveal for some reason. But we also get the scene with Saxton and the Countess in his compartment where he's dining alone and she joins him, and she asks him about what it was in the crate, the importance of this fossil, and he says, well, well, this fossil is very important. It could change our entire understanding of science because it could prove correct the theory of evolution. And she's like, oh, no, evolution, that's immoral.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sounds evil or something. Yeah. It's like like no, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: But I think that's how we're supposed to understand Professor Saxton. He's just very much devoted to the advancement of science and knowledge, to the point that, you know, if murders happen, that's just none of my business. Eventually, there are some more murders, and we get more scenes of characters becoming isolated, and when they get isolated, something comes up behind them and looks at them with red eyes, and then they too are left with the hard boiled egg eyes and the blood running out of them, and are eventually discovered. So there are there are multiple deaths by red eye hypnosis eventually leading up to a scene where there's sort of a false resolution of the conflict because there is a scene where Inspector Mirov catches the fossil creature, the sort of prehistoric ape creature with the red eye, in the act of doing a murder and then shoots it and it seems to fall down dead. The movie's over, right, So.
Speaker 2: At this point, as we've just got we've had bodies piling up, and then we also get the creature itself seemingly dead. We're gonna have to have some autopsies. We have like numerous autopsy scenes in this film, and they're all pretty great in that they're nice and gory and feel you feel like they're actually cutting into something. You know that the lighting's really nice. But we get some weird take homes from these autopsies and necropsies.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, do we ever. So yeah, there are a couple of different autopsies that reveal different things. One of them is the dissection of the victims of the prehistoric ape creature. So you know they're looking at them like, wow, the eyes are all messed up. But then for some reason doctor Wells is like, well, let's just saw this cranium open, get a look at that brain. I want to see the brain. So, you know, they cut the head open and they look at the brain and what do you know, there is not a wrinkle on it. There's a line involving one of my least favorite cliches in the English language. Miss Jones is looking at the dead guy's brain and she goes, smooth, it is a baby's bottom. And they show it and you know what, it's exactly right. There are no wrinkles. The brain just looks like it's like a butt. It's like a you know, it's got the line the hemisphere line down the middle, but it's like two butt cheeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Whatever this creature is doing to people, it is completely smoothing out their brain and turning it into just a big mass of smoothed out silly putty.
Speaker 3: Now, these scientists in the movie begin to explain what's going on there. They're like, well, you know, all the wrinkles in the brain represent all of your knowledge and memories. So if this creature is stealing the wrinkles out of people's brains and leaving the brain smooth as a baby's bottom, that means it is stealing all of their memories, so by killing them, it gains all of their knowledge.
Speaker 2: Okay, So at this point we can safely reveal that whatever this creature is, it keeps absorbing people's memories, absorbing their minds and moving forward through the train, through the plot with enhanced mental capabilities.
Speaker 3: That's right. And so it knows things like remember when we saw it bend to the nail and know how to pick a lock. One of the people it had already killed was the lock picker. Yeah, and so who all has it killed at this point? Wow, it really starts to get all kinds of knowledge. I think it gets the knowledge of because it kills Hellga Lina and she is revealed to be a spy, is that right?
Speaker 2: It had or a jewel thief, a jewel thief and or a spy. Okay, But because I think it gets her while she's stealing some jewels that are locked up in a safe.
Speaker 3: So it gets her kind of knowledge as a spy or a thief. It already has some thief knowledge about picking locks. It has the knowledge of the baggage man, which I guess is knowledge about like how the train works and everything. So it's just becoming more and more intellectually powerful as it piles up victims.
Speaker 2: Until it's shot and seemingly killed dead.
Speaker 3: Right, that's right. But once the ape creature is shot, they oh my god. Then begins another different type of dead body dissection, which is even better than the last one. So last time we learned about butt cheek brains. This time we're going to learn about how eyes work and the way eyes work in this movie. This is science is that if you stick a needle into an eyeball and extract some of the liquid inside it. I think in reality that's called aqueous humor or vitreous humor. The humor is inside the eyeball. You extract some of that in a needle, You squirt it out on a plate, and you put it under a magnifying glass. You can look into the liquid and see. At first, they say the last thing that the dead person saw before they died. And this actually does correspond to a pseudo scientific belief that people used to have what's this called retinal optography.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this is something I remember discussing this with Christian at one point back on an older episode of Stuff to Blow Your Mind. And yeah, it was the idea that you could that you could, as a forensic technique look at a person's eye and get an image of the last thing they saw, And so it ended up it was like cutting edge forensic info that was used in a lot of fiction of the time period of late nineteenth early twentieth century. So you know, by the time this movie is written and produced, it is very outdated and it's definitely been debunked. So it's but it is also kind of an interesting curio to throw in. It is always really stood out as just another like ludicrous aspect of this plot, along with discussions of what is and isn't a fossil and so forth.
Speaker 3: Right, well, no, it gets weirder because so I think the idea of that is you would look at the retina, you would like project through the retina and look on it, and you'd be able to see the last thing the person saw when they died, which is not correct, but this is like they're extracting little droplets of liquid from inside the eye.
Speaker 2: Right, they take it one step beyond, Like initially they pull up an image of the inspector shooting the monster. Okay, fair enough within the confines of the fiction of optography. That makes sense. But then they pull out an image of a dinosaur and they're looking at it on the microscope. It's like, look, this creature existed in the time of dinosaurs, because here is clear medical evidence that it once saw a brontosaurus in the wild.
Speaker 3: Right. It's looking at a Encyclopedia illustration from nineteen sixty seven of a brontosaurus, and it's just beautiful. This might have been my favorite moment of the whole movie when they got to the dinosaur. Yes. Oh, And it doesn't stop at the dinosaur because they're like, okay, so this thing was alive at the same time as dinosaurs, which is not true of any hominid human ancestor, you know, mammals at the time, there were no hominids. Yet then it gets weirder because they're like, okay, what's the next thing we can extract. They pull some more jelly out and they put it on another plate and they're looking at it and they're like, what's that. Oh, it's not a map. This is a picture of the Earth as seen from space. I was actually, I think this is a good scientific question. I don't know the answer right now. Maybe we can come back to this in listener mail or something. I was like, would somebody at the supposed time of this movie be able to recognize a picture of Earth from space? Obviously they never had a photograph of Earth's but would they have enough sort of ability to simulate what that would look like that they would recognize a real image.
Speaker 2: Of it, Well, especially if the imagery is lo fi, as seems to be the case here. Yeah, it seems like there maybe would be more room to misinterpret it as something else.
Speaker 3: But they immediately know what it is. They're like, this is the Earth from space, which means bomb, bumb bomb. This creature is not only from the time of the dinosaurs and able to absorb people's memories through its eyes, it also is an alien from outer space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is the point where it's worth mentioning that some people say, well, this is obviously drawing a bit on the nineteen thirty eight sci fi horror novella by John W. Campbell, Who Goes There, which of course was the basis for the Thing from Another World John Carpenter's The Thing and so forth, Right, And you know, there are some parallels there. I don't know to what extent they you know, actually direct we based the plot of this film on who goes there, but you know, undeniable similarities.
Speaker 3: So we are learning all this, but roughly the same time, in the middle of the movie, you think that the monster has been killed, but strangely, we're seeing some kind of other creature whose face is not revealed, sneaking around on the train with another werewolf hand. It's got the claws, it's got the fingers. What's going on here, Well, it seems that the creature has created a copy of itself through sort of backwards eyeball hypnosis, so it can steal other people's minds by staring into their eyes. But we learn it can also transmit its own soul with all of its memories, out of its eyes, so it can upload or download into somebody else's brain, and it has done that with Inspector Mirror. Bumb bumb boom, yet another twist.
Speaker 2: It makes sense though, because like the Missing Link was not its original form, it's just a form it occupied, and now it has a new host, but the whole monster hand, like now Mirov has the monster hand. And when I first saw that in my recent rewatch of it, I was like, did I miss something? How did has he get the monster hand on his body? There's no explanation for that, as I recall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't. It just kind of grows that way once you transfer the soul through the eyes. I think.
Speaker 2: I mean, I love the results. It's a great monster hand and it adds to the creepiness of the host character here. But I never understood why this was supposed to happen. It doesn't seem to happen in subsequent transfers, just this one.
Speaker 3: Now, it's interesting that in this section of the movie, Mirov becomes a little bit while the monster is in Mirov. You get a little bit of sympathy for the monster because Mirov like goes to you have Tushenko, the scienceist, and he's like, hey, you're a scientist, right, you know things about gravity? Right? Do you know of any way to escape Earth's gravity? Yeah, which would be kind of a strange question coming from just a Russian imperial investigator. But the scientist is like, oh, yes, actually, my mentor was the inventor of rockets. We can discuss rockets. And Mirov's like, no need to discuss, and then he hypnotdes him in the eyes kills him, steals all of his rocket knowledge. So this this creature just wants to get home. I think it wants to build a rocket and escape Earth.
Speaker 2: I think the other interesting thing to look at with this character, the being from another world here is that as it absorbs information from each victim, that alters its identity to some extent. And so in a way, by absorbing rational characters and even you know character with not only rationable but maybe you know, you know, other sensibilities, these end up changing its own cognitive state. And so you know, it is more relatable at this point because of who it is killed and absorbed. But if it makes some missteps in who it kills and absorbs, well things could change, and we do see that change coming up.
Speaker 3: That's right. So all this middle of the movie Intrigue goes on for a while, there are more murders, more plotting by the being in the guise of Mirov. But eventually a big sort of shift occurs because the train is stopped along the way and the authorities intervene, and that authority is in the form of Tellisivalis Now. I gotta be honest, I don't even remember what Telly Sivalis's goal is when he gets on the train, I think he's just like something is going wrong on the train and he's intervening for some reason. But he shows up and just starts barking orders at Everybody's like everyone on this train is under arrest, all under arrest.
Speaker 2: Basically, he's a drunken regional tyrant. Yes, and he is totally going to enact his will on the train. And his whole thing is like, you've got some sort of murders going on here. Well, I think we just need to like apply beatings to everybody until we get the truth. Yes, and he's not. He's just into the beatings as he is into finding the truth, if not more into the beatings. Again, regional tyrant, and it is endangering everything.
Speaker 3: There's also a whole subplot here where like I think the Count is trying to transport some special kind of steel. There's like a like a technology spy caper going on. You remember this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems seems a little much for the duration of the picture to have this as an added B or C plot, but okay, we haven't.
Speaker 3: That's I think that's just yet another thing that the alien kills somebody to absorb. He's like, tell me about this steel hypnotade. And then eventually what happens, though, is that teleisivalis after giving this eight monologue scene where he's just bullying everybody around on the train, there is a violent confrontation and he mortally wounds Merov. He and his men do and so what's gonna happen? Oh, the creature is trapped in there. Well, meanwhile, we've seen some developments in Father Pooh Jardov, who is I don't know, not quite so committed to the Christian God anymore.
Speaker 2: He sees clear evidence that the Inspector is possessed, and he believes it to be Satan. He's like, like, Satan, let me serve you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like Satan. Satan is where it's at, you know. He's if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with, and it's Satan. So he thinks it's Satan, and he's like, Satan, come in to me, come in to me, and so the Satan does.
Speaker 2: I can't remember if he actually explains this, but it maybe becomes a little clear that I'm not actually Satan. I'm an alien from another world. Who's been trapped in life forms throughout Earth's history.
Speaker 3: Good enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was like works for me over, let's do it. But he's he's like, he's like, come into me, and he's like, I don't want you. There's nothing in your mind I need, which is you know him kind of you know, as a slam. But it's also it implies like it knows that if I absorbed this man's consciousness and thoughts, it is going to perhaps be a detriment to my mission and my attempt to escape here because this is an unhinged individual with a lot of dangerous ideas and values in his head.
Speaker 3: Yes, uh, yeah, so I love this relationship. Actually it's it's funny and it's weird and all that. But he does end up going into the body of the monk.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And this leads into our big showdown where a number of things are happening at once. There's the raising of the dead, like all the people that have been killed thus far are brought back as red eyed zombies. Uh. There's an attempt to to to get the survivor into the baggage car and then detach it because at the same time, the authorities have received a signal that oh, well, we need to send this train off the side of a cliff because there's something terrible on it. And they're like, why would we have to do that. I mean, it must be something related to war, so we got to do it. So a number of things here coming to a head. And we also get a big final showdown between Christopher Lee's character Saxton and the alien that is possessing now Father poojardiv's body, and we get some nice discussion about their goals.
Speaker 3: I think the alien tries to tempt Saxton into helping it by offering him knowledge, you know. Yeah, and this is what Saxton was saying earlier on. Saxton was like, I don't really care about the people who have died. I only care about advancing scientific knowledge. And then what do you know, at the end of the aliens like, look, just let me kill all these people and I'll give you great technology and knowledge. You can advance science by one hundred years.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So it's you know, it's it's a legitimate temptation. I think, you know, here is someone who has or something that has existed, you know, through for large expanses of Earth's history, and also has knowledge of worlds beyond the earth and technologies beyond earth capabilities. But is it worth all of this death and perhaps future death and madness? And ultimately, Christopher Lee's character says no, I don't want any part of that.
Speaker 3: Saxton refuses, and in the end, the heroes work together to uncouple the what is it the break car something want one of the cars from the rest of the train so that it can separate, while the rest of the train is sent off the edge of a cliff with all of the with the alien and all of the zombies it has created within it. Wait, I can't did you already say it resurrects zombies.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, resurrected a bunch of red eyed zombies. So even like undead Telly Savalis is walking around. Yeah, So I like the commitment because these look like very uncomfortable contacts that everyone is wearing. Yes, and I'm kind of I'm kind of glad that even the bigger build stars also had to wear them. But yeah, the train goes off a cliff, blows up, and this is the first time we really or at least I really realized, oh, this is a model train, mainly because you know, they're not going to send an actual train, multiple train cars off of a cliff. But it still looks pretty good, still looks it's a pretty good model.
Speaker 3: Nonetheless, And do I remember right that we get no comment whatsoever from our heroes at the end of the film. It's just the car goes the train goes off the tracks, explodes, and that's the end.
Speaker 2: There's no closing monologue. I think you know it's the it's the seventies at this point. You know, the preachiness of the fifties and sixties is over. In the seventies, it's more of a gosh, what can I tell you? There's ancient evil out there in the world, and the future is uncertain. I'm not going to sugarcoat it for you. Sometimes you just got to run trains off of a cliff.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine if we had had christ Perlee saying he learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature.
Speaker 2: It would have sort of worked, you know, all right? So that's horror express it sure is. Again, this is a super fun one. I highly recommend seeking it out if you haven't seen it, and if you have seen it, hey, this is a fun one to revisit, you'll always find something new, a lot of fun plot elements, a lot of fun performances, a real treat. Just a reminder to everyone that Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast, with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This week they were both train related, related to Haunted Trains and ghost Trains, so check those out if you haven't already. But on Fridays we set aside most series concerns to just talk about a weird film, such as this one on Weird House Cinema. If you want a full list of all the movies we've covered on Weird House over the years, and even a peek ahead at what's coming up next, go to letterbox dot com. It's L E T T E R B O x D dot com and our user name there is weird House. That's what you'll find.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.