Speaker 1: Hey guys, Sunday Sampler time.
Speaker 2: We're giving you some highlights from some of the Nashville Podcast Network podcasts, and also there are really no new podcast today anyway, because it's Sunday. You're gonna like the Bobbycast. I sat down with a really prolific, very famous he's killing her right now songwriter and producer who did the Morgan wall and stuff a bunch of that the post Malone record in the vet's office with doctor Josie. She talked to an er vet, which is crazy. On Take This Personally, which is Morgan's podcast, Morgan's good friend and country artist Julia Cole came by and they talked about heartbreak. Julia lets people in under broken off engagement. For the first time, Morgan talked about her breakup, so let's start with that. Here's a clip of this week's episode of Take This Personally.
Speaker 3: Personal Jewels.
Speaker 4: I'm dubbing this the heartbreak episode because I have known Julia my entire Nashville life. She was one of my very first friends here. You guys may know miss Julia Cole as a very famous artist in Nashville, has lots of followings on TikTok and Instagram and viral videos and she's just a giant star. But she's my good friend and all I know her as is Julia. And the crazy thing though for Julian and I is we've both seen each other through some really really tough relationships.
Speaker 5: Yes, we've had to milk some some heartbreaks and have some girls' nights out to solve art problems. So I've had a lot of conversations with people after this in this past year, and I've had people telling me that you're you're supposed to date multiple people. Obviously you're not going to a certain level here. This is like going to dinners, going to coffees like you're supposed to, you know, meet different people until you've decided that you really really like someone.
Speaker 6: I've never in my.
Speaker 5: Life felt like I could do that because it felt like like loyalty is something so important to me and so so special that it was like, oh, well, if I'm even texting this person, I should probably not be texting anybody else.
Speaker 1: And that is like, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, I honestly like to know people's opinions on that and your opinion on that, because I really don't know, like what's the standard this is not. This isn't courting like it was back in our grandparents' day and age, where you date you know ten different people at once and then like all of a sudden, one would just like propose and you get married.
Speaker 4: I have multiple things on this one. I don't think it's a bad thing that you want to be fiercely loyal.
Speaker 7: I have that in me.
Speaker 4: I'm going to date somebody and I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure that that person feels all of that loyalty all the time. Yeah, and I've never cheated on anybody. I don't have that capability in my bone.
Speaker 5: It doesn't make much sense, does it.
Speaker 8: No, Like just breaking it will never I don't understand it.
Speaker 1: I just literally just break up the person on the date. Just call me and say hate it's over. I'd be like, okay, I'm gonna crime about.
Speaker 7: Like math like whatever.
Speaker 9: Stupid.
Speaker 4: But I do think dating people is important. I have gone on so many dates in my life, and I'm not talking like even third, fourth, fifth dates. I'm talking about first, second, third, dates. I've been on so many because I wanted to learn what I wanted. And this is a really interesting thing that got like brought up that will that will spiral into this. I learned so much about myself by dating other people of different cultures, of different religions, of different backgrounds, of different upbrings.
Speaker 7: I learned so many.
Speaker 4: Things of what I wanted, what I didn't want, and I could narrow that down so heavily that that's why it's so hard for me now to date, because I know fiercely what I want. All of those multiple dates of saying my favorite color, and walking through the small talk and saying yes.
Speaker 7: I'm very where'd you go to college?
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's go through them a million times over, and as much as they sucked, and I hated getting dressed up and I hated getting ready just to have something fail.
Speaker 5: Maybe again, maybe be nice, maybe be a waste of your two hours.
Speaker 7: Yeah I did.
Speaker 4: I did kind of change my mentality when I was dating, probably my mid twenties, where I was like, I'm doing everything.
Speaker 8: For the plot.
Speaker 4: My whole life became I'm doing it for the plot. Because I genuinely could not go on dates and like not think I was getting punked by Ashton Kutcher. There were moments where I was like, this isn't real there's no way. But it was so when I would leave those I'd be like, I did it for the plot. Great story, great story.
Speaker 10: Never again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I learned so much about who I was. And it's funny because I had this conversation with.
Speaker 8: My sister on the phone.
Speaker 4: I said, I'm so tired of being these men lessons and I'm the heartbreak. Yeah, Like, why am I the one who I took all the time. I didn't hurt anybody, and I took all the time to figure out stuff about myself. But these men come in relationships with me and I have to be the one how they get their lesson. I'm this emotional punching bag for them to just.
Speaker 7: Figure things out.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think we go into relationships this day and age so carelessly.
Speaker 7: I think dating stops that.
Speaker 4: I think going on dates casually stops you from going in half hearted or not knowing what you want. Like when all those people were saying you should love yourself before you're in a relationship, I think we almost had it right because I think you can love yourself in a relationship. I think you can learn self love with friends with a partner. I don't know that you nessa I need to be completed in self love to be in a relationship.
Speaker 7: I think you need to know yourself.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, fundamentally, yes, your non negotiables, your boundaries, what you stand for, who you are as a human being, because.
Speaker 9: So many people don't.
Speaker 5: I think you have to grow up a little bit to know all of that. Yeah, And I'm seeing a lot of people, you know, dive in super young. I'm from the South, I'm from Texas. Like, I know a lot of people who got married super young, and it's like I am not the same person that I was even two years ago.
Speaker 1: You're listening to in the VETS office with doctor Josie Hrschak.
Speaker 6: Now, I figured we can really dive into all things wellness. I want to keep it simple but still feel like people get informed. And so I thought we would be good to like break it down into two sections. So I figure the first section, we can just talk about vaccines, Like, what in the heck are these vaccines that are being recommended to me? I feel like we just come in and we're like they're due for X, Y and Z, and people are just like okay, yeah, like you say, so let's do it. But I feel like it's good to understand why your pet is getting these vaccinations. So the first, the big one, the big shebang, the like non negotiable for me, is the raby's vaccine.
Speaker 10: Definitely. I think most of our clients, if they're going to know any vaccine, it's going to be the rabies vaccine.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 6: And the thing for me is that I didn't realize really until I got to VET school. Was like, rabies is real. You hear about it and you're like, we don't see that anymore, Like that's from like old Yeller, like a decade ago, but like it's real. We just had a case here in Tennessee. And if you contract rabies as a human and you don't get treated right away, like you will die. There is not a cure, and we see it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I saw a case of rabies in the er when I was working there.
Speaker 6: That's terrifying.
Speaker 7: Yeah, terrifying.
Speaker 10: And I also think I guess I didn't really understand this until I was like practicing in general practice too. But like, this vaccine is required by the state. Yes, I don't think it's required by all states, but in Tennessee, it is required for you to vaccinate your dog or your cat by six months of age. Yeah, and if you don't and they find out it's a class cy misdemeanor, I don't know that either.
Speaker 7: So yeah, it's the law.
Speaker 6: It's the law. It's really important. It's a public health risk. And if you don't do it, like we kind of have to look like the bad guys. We were like, Okay, you don't have to. We can't force you into it, but you have to understand the ramifications of it, and you have to like sign a document. So it's a big deal. What was the case that you saw in the er that had rabies? It was actually rabies.
Speaker 10: Was not at the top of anyone's list thinking this dog had rabies because again, no one actually understands that it's real.
Speaker 7: This dog came in for.
Speaker 10: Seizures and it was just neurological and in the er, like we saw seizures once a day. Yeah, so having a dog come in for seizures is not abnormal. So we kind of just went through the normal protocol of getting the dog hospitalized, getting them started on seizure meds, and along the line, a lot of people came in contact with this dog and the dog just wasn't responding to any of the seizure meds, which is unusual, especially for a dog presenting for seizures right the first time. So the neurology service ended up getting involved, and the only way to test for rabies, unfortunately in dogs, is by testing a piece of their brain tissue, and so oftentimes we don't get a diagnosis until they're already deceased.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just for all of you out there, like, I know, this is gruesome, but the reality is, like we have to cut their head off and send it into the lab. That's how we test for it. So it's not an easy test. And if there is any suspicion that your pet has rabies, like that's the way we test for it, So even more reason to get them vaccinated.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 10: So this dog ended up being hospitalized for a while, coming into contact with a lot of different staff members, and then it ended up I think being euthanized because it wasn't responding. And then we found out later that she wasn't up to date on her rabies vaccine and so she was sent for testing, came back positive, and anyone who was in contact with her had to get the rabies prophylaxis vaccine treatment, which is intense and expensive, very expensive.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't think your insurance covers that.
Speaker 10: So very scary, very scary, because I mean, just coming into contact with the saliva of a dog who's seizing is very easy, very easy. And Rabi's is transmitted most commonly through bites but through body leaf fluids.
Speaker 6: So very very scary, very real. Another thing I hear owners say is, oh, well, my dog doesn't really go outside, and you just had a case or someone in the hospital had a case last week of a cat having a bat in its mouth. Yep, that got in the house.
Speaker 10: It wasn't my case, but yeah, indoor only cat. So most people would be like, why do I need a vaccine my indoor only cat for rabies? But the family I guess saw the cat with a live bat in its mouth.
Speaker 6: He's like running by, like hey, guys, like what I got?
Speaker 10: And bats are the number one having.
Speaker 6: Carrier of rabies.
Speaker 10: So that cat had to come into the hospital and get boosted for its Raby's vaccine, even though it was up to date. We boosted them early and then yeah, not only for the safety of the pets, but like if you have kids in your home, and your cat gets raby.
Speaker 6: He's like, you know, it's trouble.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you got to vaccinate them so that we can be protected as well, because vaccination against rabies and people is not common.
Speaker 2: No, I found them to be very sweet. I think that's a great word. Like I think I've had three occasions where I've spent more than three minutes with them. Yeah, and very like sweet and kind feeling. And he felt like he was sensitive to what I wanted to talk about or And I did not expect that from somebody who was it didn't matter who it was, but somebody was just so wildly famous.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, having been around other people that are famous, it's usually not that way. A lot of times you'll know this better than anyone. People that are wildly famous are they're that way because they demand all the attention. It's very much a me centric world in the world of entertainment. But I did not that any time that I was with him, I did not find that at all. Yeah, which was extremely different than what I was used to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say he kind of stuck with that too. I mean he's the same and he, you know, is just like conscious of the people around him and you know, obviously a big yes ma'am, yes sair to everybody, making sure you know. He'll also sign more autographs than most people, Like he'll sit there and do it for everybody, Whereas it's like, you know, I've been with a lot of artists who you know, you got to leave, you gotta go to the next thing, which is not even anything bad on them, they're actually busy.
Speaker 2: He came and played the Rhyman Show with me. Was super cool, and he stayed longer than any other artist. He took pictures with every person, and I posted about it and I was like, and a little bit it was to some of these guys that won't do anything. It's like, you got a guy that's twenty x famous than you. Yeah, and he spent time with every single person that has stayed back to say hello and again I found that to be super cool. I'm assuming you guys still work well together. I mean, you're doing the record as we talk. It's not out yet, but by the time this is hurt, it is out. And so how long how many years have you guys worked together?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 2: A long time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, technically a long time. We definitely spend some time not working together as well, got it, but that'd being the case.
Speaker 2: How long have you been known?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we started working. We probably did our first song either late twenty fourteen or early twenty fifteen.
Speaker 1: Ten years. Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: So twenty fifteen, we were like locked in really doing a lot of stuff. You know, technically, I don't know where it says it. I guess you got to buy the physical copy of his first album. Technically I'm an executive producer on that album. I don't really do all the work necessary necessary, like toy executive producer. But that was kind of where we were locked in on his first album. And then you know, kind of went separate ways for a little bit, and then you know, I caught I think I put a song on his album two albums ago. It was a random song that I sent them, you know, But we weren't you know, we weren't actually working as much. I was living in Nashville doing my thing. He was doing his thing. And then we had talked about doing the country album back in twenty fifteen, and you know, I go back and forth on Power Manifestation Ship, but we did say album six. That was the conversation where like your sixth album could be country and you could do a pull a reverse Taylor Swift and like be the biggest pop star and then do a country album. So when he asked me to do this album, it was cool because I was just like, wait a minute, how many albums have you had? He's like five. I was like, shit, you know, so.
Speaker 2: What do you mean you go back and forth on the manifestation? Oh, what are your two areas you live in?
Speaker 3: No, just some of it doesn't really make sense. I understand that if you're saying something thinking about it, you'll actively start making moves towards it, But some of it's just kind of ridiculous, like it and it feels like it shouldn't be real.
Speaker 2: But it might be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it might be. And that's why I don't like. Then I get into these weird who's got stronger manifestation? If we're both manifesting the opposite. I started looking at that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that too, like if two people are praying opposite things, yeah, even in that way, like who wins?
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's like so sometimes like someone will say something to me and I'll be like, yo, like you know, take that back. You don't say that you know, yeah, or like I'll be like, oh, your manifestation powers weeks. I'm not worried because like people will say some shit, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think about too, And again this is just my weird brain going down places that I probably spend way too much time that actually makes nothing good for me. But I'll think about either if it's manifestation or prayer or however you want to even describe that, that that communication within yourself or to others. But I'll see somethody on Facebook, like, hey, we could use all these prayers, but all these what's the number that it becomes? Is all these more than one? One? If it's just one, does one count as equal as all these?
Speaker 3: Interesting?
Speaker 2: I think about that a lot, because you know, if you get ten thousand people to pray for something, does that mean it's more powerful than if you just prayed for it by yourself. And if so, we need to get a prayer, go fund me just for the bigger causes then and get more people. So, yeah, I get tired thinking about stuff.
Speaker 3: Like that's interesting. And it's also that you bring up prayer because it's a separate thing, because I'll pray too, But I don't almost exclusively. I don't ask for anything in prayer like you. I'll pray more for a situation. Uh okay, rephrase. I'll ask for something for somebody who maybe is hurt, or somebody who maybe is going through some shit but you know, or a safety thing but it's not. It's never like, Man, can I get a number one song I about asking for shit like that.
Speaker 9: Little food for yourself life?
Speaker 2: Oh it's pretty, but it's pretty beautiful, man, beautiful that for.
Speaker 9: A little mouth's.
Speaker 2: Said.
Speaker 9: He you're kicking it with full with Amy Brown.
Speaker 12: I think that everyone's been through different seasons of life where they get stuck, maybe in a pattern or cycle where they can realize there's a lot of negativity happening. But once you can make that shift, you can really see the difference. Even just believing that what does this circumstance make possible? Believing that something can come from this, some sort of growth, some sort of change that is going to be positive. Of course, I didn't want my mother to have cancer. I didn't want to lose her, but a lot of amazing things came from that. I can't even think back to my childhood. I didn't want my parents to get divorced, but a lot of amazing things happened from that. My mom's life was completely transformed because of the divorce. That's when we finally started going to church. We didn't go before that, and then she became a completely different person not being able to get pregnant. Now I've got two beautiful adopted children now seventeen and fourteen. And things that seemed negative and hard, but what did they make possible? And I think just maintaining that faith, that hope that there's a bigger picture here that's.
Speaker 11: Right, and if you can find a way to put yourself at a different point in the story when you're suffering, like what you just said, is it turns out to be true that all the research that looks at suffering and cancer patients are a great example, has been well studied where a huge majority, like way more than you can imagine, of people who are going through cancer, even that ultimately succumbed to it, say things like what you just described with your mother, that they actually find that they've grown through it, they've found purpose through it, that their lives had become enriched by it. So it's almost like suffering is not optional. If you want to be a really well rounded and fully developed human, it's almost necessary. I have to go through hard things if you want to become a really fully developed person. And so we find gratitude through those hard moments because we recognize that they've given us experiences and opportunities to change and grow and learn and connect with other people in ways that we wouldn't have been able to do if we hadn't gone through suffering. And it's interesting because, just like we talked about while ago with quantum physics, like this idea that two things can be true at the same time, Like it's never going to be okay that I lost my son, Like I'm just as sad and broken about that eleven years after it happened than I was the day it happened. You're not okay with you losing your mom, and you never will be. But at the same time, it is true that I've grown, I've written books, I've connected with people all over the world, like a lot of the things that I am. I'm a much more compassionate physician and husband and father and grandfather now than I was before I lost my son. All of that because of having suffered so doesn't make it good, doesn't make it right. You would trade it all for having your mom back, or I'd trade it all for having my son back. That sort of secret sauce of life, it turns out to be this meaning that we find because we navigated through something hard. And on the brain science side, it's true too, Like you look at what makes resilience in the brain's this area called the mid anterior singula, and what they find is when you do hard things, it becomes easier for you to do hard things in the future, like all across the board. So you do something that's hard, even if you don't want to, your brain gets more resilient and you develop more willpower and you find more sort of joy in engaging in hard things the next time. So it's almost like you start saying, I'm ready for the next thing that's hurt, that it's going to hurt because I know I can get through it because I've done it before.
Speaker 12: Is there a magic number of how many times we have to do something for that new neural pathway to be built or is it different for everybody?
Speaker 1: Well, it's different for everybody.
Speaker 11: But on the basic physiology side, there's a structure in your brain called microtubules, and that's the stuff that makes new synapses, the little building blocks of new synapses, and they start happening within minutes of you trying something new or doing something new. So that's why we always say on my show, like thoughts become things, because when you think about something, you actually make something in your brain structurally, make changes in your brain. And what happens is within minutes you start laying down what's going to become ultimately the high way towards making a new habit or making a new process. But if you don't use it, continue to use that new thing, it disappears within about three weeks, and so in order to ingrain it and make it permanent, you have to engage in that thing over and over and over for a while. Some people say twenty one days. That's probably true for things that aren't sort of life or death. That's probably longer. For things that are really hard, like giving up smoking or something, probably takes longer than twenty one days. But in terms of what's happening in your brain, it starts almost instantly in the first hour of you trying to make a change, a positive change in your life. You're making it structurally in your brain. So that's encouraging. It gives us hope because we feel like we can't change, we feel like we're stuck. We inherited the genes. We inherited, We went through the tryal that we went through, and that means that we can ever change what the truth is. As soon as you start trying to change, your brain's right there with you.
Speaker 12: Well, so then that's epigenetics. We have the ability to change certain parts. You're probably the better person to describe this, but I think I have a fear inside of me because both my parents had cancer that I'm going to get cancer. And sometimes that is a thought that will take over and I immediately have to squash it and back up because just because they had it does not mean I will. But if I keep having those thoughts, then I'm increasing the likelihood of something negative happening.
Speaker 11: That's right, because so if you think about the big picture, so epigenetics, if somebody is not familiar, is that the things that we think about and certain things that we go through and lifestyle choices can turn on or off genes. So to speak up or down regulate genes is the way the bio chemists call it. And what that means is that the genetic material the inher for mom and dad is not guaranteed to be expressed or turned true in your life. So we know that from identical twin studies. For example, identical twins often have very different length of life and very different disease profiles that they get. And it's because even though they have the same genetic starting point, they don't have the same lives. And so what that means is that your life has a lot of impact and what genes get turned on and off. So if both your parents have cancer, for example, and you spend a lot of time worrying about that and stressing about it, your cortisol level is going to rise, and the systems in your body that fight cancer and do things on your behalf to try to avoid cancer are going to be depleted because you're spending so much time in a negative biochemical state, and your thoughts are becoming those things that are fighting against you and beating those cancer cells. So it's true that you can spend time in your brain thinking healthier thoughts and that will promote an environment that's going to produce a better chemical environment to optimize the epigenetic opportunities that you have to turn things on and off and make your life as good as it can be.
Speaker 9: We're going to do it live the one shoot three Sore Losers. What up, everybody. I am lunchbox. I know the most about sports, so I'll give you the sports facts, my sports opinions, because I'm pretty much a sports genius, y'all.
Speaker 13: It's Sison. I'm from the North. I'm an alpha male. I live on the North side of Nashville with Bayser, my wife. We do have a farm. It's beautiful, a lot of acreage, no animals, a lot of crops. Hopefully soon corn pumpkins, rye. I believe maybe a little fescue to be determined.
Speaker 9: Over to you, coach. And here's a clip from this week's episode of The Sore Losers. Now they're going to remodel it and make it the hard rock forgot Tropicana. They're knocking, they're knocking down, They're a stadium is going there? Sorry, go. So we go to this lava show, forty five minute lava show, and I'm my hell yeah, hell yeah. And we just happened to see it because it was in the same parking lot as where we're eating at the soup kitchen or whatever. At the soup kitchen. I mean it sounds like such a party. What are you guys doing, like pregame drinks?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 9: I had some beers and had some soup. What on the soup kitchen sign enticed you guys have dinner. My wife was doing research and someone on Reddit said, nine months later, I'm still thinking about the soup. I had the soup what a fucking was and I'm like, oh man, this must be amazing freaking soup. I'll do crab. But my wife is a she loves soup. Bin loves it. Lobster bisk ah. Now they had lamb soup. They had they eat a lot of lamb there because they have lamb. They have more lambs sheep than they do humans in Iceland. Where's my flock? I tied it up here. Hopefully parking is good. That's kind of like what they saund me. But that's Canadian a little bit. So we go to the Lava show and I'm like, all right, and the soup was okay, but it wasn't amazing. And I had three different kinds and I had the corn and spinach. I had the the fish curry one and some other one. And then we go to the Lava Show and it's in a room and they give you protective glasses you know what I mean, because it's gonna get so freaking hot. Right, we took off our clothes, so I'm like, forty five minutes of lava here we go.
Speaker 11: All right.
Speaker 9: The lady closes the door, comes in. She starts talking, Hi, my name is Rock Gel and I'm like, well, this is about to be awesome. Nice to meet you. I'm Lunchbox. She's like, welcome to the Lava Show, the only place in the world where you can see real lava from a volcano up close. And I'm like, she goes, it's gonna get so hot tho, You're gonna need those goggles to protect your eyes that and I'm like, hell yeah, honey, take off your bra. So then she proceeded to stand up there for fifteen minutes and give us a history of the town and the volcanoes that have erupted in that town. What the cleef? And I'm like, Okay, that's fifteen minutes of my forty five. When are we gonna get to the damn lava. Not bad. You still have thirty minutes of lava. Then we have thirty minutes of lava. She's like, honey, get ready to feel the l rumble of the lava, and she goes, now, so before we get to the lava, let me show you a video. No, I'm not doing the tours with the damn video. Show me three d bitch. Sorry, I'll delete that, and I'm like, okay, So now we're gonna watch a video. So what was the video rate? It was a fifteen minute video. We're at thirty minutes now. It was a fifteen minute video showing exactly what she just talked about. That's bulghit. So she talked about the history of the town. Then they made a little cartoon video for you to enjoy of what she just told you about.
Speaker 14: Nice learning about your town. Like either way, just either pa, show us the lava. Where's the I wanted to get hot in here, hought in you sheeper boring maw.
Speaker 9: But I did learn if the volcano is going to erupt all the tourists you meet at the church on top of the hill, that's the evacuation plan, all right, So where's the lava? Show exactly where is the lava show?
Speaker 3: Raight?
Speaker 9: Oh? That was it? Fifteen minute video? All right? She goes, all right, now should we get to the lava? And so she does. It comes rolling out of this like tube in the wall, and there's lava and she starts picking it up with this stick. Now we're talking and she's making little things and then it freezes and she's cracking it and she's picking it up. The lava's touching me. Then she brings out a big old ice thing piece of ice and puts it in the lava and makes it blow up like a big balloon. A science project exactly what it was bro baking soda and food Colory, dude, No, it was real lava. Saw this in second grade. It was real lava. And she got your ass. Did you feel the hot?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 9: I could feel the heat.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 9: So they must have just pumped the obviously the heater on. No, no, they have the they have to warm up. So what they do is they go get the right They actually turned the heater like one hundred and ten. They pretty much fucked us. No, No, they go get the rocks, like the ash from like the actual volcanoes in the mountains. And they bring it in and they reheat it up and make it into lava. That's making it better. Awesome, Okay, she played with the lava for ten minutes. Then the show is over. See when you need it a little bit more of that. Oh you think it is advertised as a forty five minute lava show. Was it ever lavaing or No? It was lava? No, no, it is lava. It came out like lava, like it does out of a volcano. Okay, that's pretty cool. I shouldn't have acted it. It was pretty badass for ten minutes, but advertise it as ten minutes. And then I get out. I don't need to watch the damn video. She had the lava like she's like having a rub on her. No, no, she had a metal pool because it was so hot. All right, she was fully naked. It was actually a lava tit show. No no, And I'm like, wow, this is amazing, dude, amazing. And we then we're leaving. We got to drive to the hotel. We still got an hour to drive to the hotel. And we get to the hotel and I guess what, They're already closed. You can't check in. Wait, it's here's a hotel. Oh yeah yeah, but in Iceland nothing. It was only ten o'clock, but they only stay on duty till eight. That's my biggest fear of other countries. You never know when places closed, and I'm like and everything, the lights are off, everything, and we're like, how the hell do we get in our room back in? How do we do this? We already paid online? What do we do? Sleep under the volcano? It's warm, So we bust out our flashlights and we're looking under matt. We're looking. I mean we're looking. They're gonna take the place. I know. That's what I was worried about. Well no, shit, Like I'm going around the back, like maybe there's a hidden door or something. You Americans in your crime rates freeze. And then no, they don't have police.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 9: I don't think they have guns. I don't think they have anything. Over a nice one. It was it was like there's no one there. It is empty. And so then I, oh, wait, wait, what's that sign over there? It's on one of the windows that says, oh, sorry, we're not here to greet you, but we close at eight pm. Just so you know, your cabin five D, your key is in the door. Excuse me, anybody a polar bear sleeping in there right now? Dude? So you just go up and the key is in the door. Quite The security says, no, that's how nice it is in Iceland. They don't have any crime. They got nothing on nest. They have no problem. They just left the key in the door for us. What do you mean you were robbed? I don't know. The door was open. It was awesome. I was like, how cool is this Americans? Of course we tried to break in a back door. We're trying to break in a back door and they're like, just go to your cabin, man. We left the key in the door, and you look, and there was other cabins that just had the key in the door. So there was other families that hadn't arrived. Jet Honey, I'm gonna go sleep in five A if you don't mind.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's Mike d And this week a movie Mike's Movie Podcast. My wife Kelsey and I did our Movies of the Months where we go through all the movies we watched in August and talked about the ones we recommend best of the month and the ones we don't recommend, the worst of the Month. I want to play you this of us talking about our favorite movie as the summer blockbuster season comes to it end. So be sure to check out this full episode. But right now, here's just a little bit of movie Mike's movie podcast Movies of the Month for August. I feel like it's been one of the best months of the summer. Interesting, you don't what was your favorite month?
Speaker 8: July?
Speaker 1: Oh, July, I think was my least favorite.
Speaker 8: July had Twisters and Deadpool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that was two and Fly Me to the Moon. I feel like there are so many more in August. I'm looking at my list here and there's like eight movies.
Speaker 8: Interesting, that's a hot take.
Speaker 1: I thought August was way stronger, which August is usually the decline of the summer blockbuster season. But I felt like there were more hidden gems. I have more flours in August than I did for July.
Speaker 8: I don't agree with that.
Speaker 15: But the last time I told you that your take was stupid, someone on the internet called me a not nice name.
Speaker 1: Is because you love Twisters so much that we've now seen twice, possibly we'll see first third time in theaters. We have a code now to watch it at home. Thanks to everybody at Universal who send us awesome box if you didn't watch that on TikTok.
Speaker 8: The greatest package we've ever received.
Speaker 1: But is it because you loved that movie so much?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 8: There was just always something to see.
Speaker 15: It was like the first weekend we saw just pick on Me for and there was fly Me to the Moon, and there's Twisters. Then there was Deadpool and Twisters again, Like there was great stuff in July, there was always something. I feel like this month we kind of had to be like, Okay, what's coming out this week?
Speaker 8: What are we going to see?
Speaker 1: And I think it's because we had lower expectations going into the movies this month that I felt like, oh, this is a really solid month and more. Before we get into our favorite and our least favorite, I'll go through all the movies we saw, and we did see some movies apart. You saw one without me, I saw one without you.
Speaker 8: This is correct, suis factual.
Speaker 1: So going through the list, Trap which you didn't see with me, The Instigator, which was an at home one, Dedie Gunner, which was also I watched that one at home. I had a screener for that alien Romulus, which you didn't see with me Sing Sing, and then we closed it out with Blink twice. I feel like those all together is a solid month.
Speaker 8: And then I saw it ends with us true.
Speaker 1: I think that's better for me.
Speaker 8: Okay, I still disagree, but.
Speaker 1: We'll get into our bed and the worst you kick it off. What was the best thing out of all these?
Speaker 8: For August, I'm gonna gome on that surprise paint Blink twice.
Speaker 1: I was saying that I feel like this is a movie people are either going to love or hate.
Speaker 8: TikTok is a buzz.
Speaker 1: It's right, it's kind of pull our opposites.
Speaker 15: I think any movie, if you are concerned that you're not gonna like it, you need to watch the trailer. There were trigger warnings even the trailer, Like I didn't watch the trailer thinking this is gonna be funny, Like you know that it's gonna be kind of like a creepy psychological thriller. Reviews compared it to Get Out Before and people are like, what did I just watch?
Speaker 8: This was terrible?
Speaker 15: There were no warnings like no, there was a literal full screen warning before the movie.
Speaker 1: That leads me to believe there is still a select group of people that would just go watch a movie based on the A list are based on the lead.
Speaker 15: Yeah, the lady and the TikTok was like, I just wanted to watch Channing Tatum.
Speaker 1: It's like okay, which is a bizarre way to go into a movie just because Channing Tatum, who you probably know from Magic and maybe haven't seen a Chanting Tative movie since, or like twenty two Jump Street, twenty one, Jump Street, Step Up and you think, oh, yeah, that movie, you.
Speaker 8: Forgot my favorite movie all the time.
Speaker 1: I feel like he's had such an evolution as an actor, primarily being in the rom coms. Then he kind of shifted into being like the action star, which never really kicked off. He kind of transitioned into being the comedic star, which I think was kind of a juxtaposition of you see him and you don't think comedy, but then he's really good at comedy right at comedy, And now I feel like he's just making really good movies, having one of the best years out of any actor.
Speaker 8: He's having a summer.
Speaker 1: So it's weird for me to see somebody go into just watching a movie and thinking it's gonna be everything. He's done maybe ten fifteen years ago. Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 15: I think that, Yeah, you just need to watch the trailer, like if you're concerned at all about the movie.
Speaker 8: I also think it was righted R. Wasn't it?
Speaker 1: It was righted R.
Speaker 15: Okay, that tells you all you need. That tells you all you need to know. And yeah, it was disturbing. That's why there were trigger warnings.
Speaker 1: And if you go into the movie you see the trigger warning and think, I don't know if this is for me, you can go get a refund. I think a lot of people don't know that. I think it's within the first twenty to thirty minutes, probably different based on the theater you go to, you can still get a refund.
Speaker 8: Should have done that when I took my grandma to Talladey Nights.
Speaker 1: So if you see that at the beginning and thining, huh, I don't know if I'm in for that. I also feel like that was a little bit rage bait. My best of the month comes down to two movies, Alien Romulus and d D which Alien Romulus was the most surprising to me because, like we've been talking about in this month, I went in with pretty low expectations and ended up really enjoying it, even though I'm not the biggest fan of the Alien franchise as a whole. But I think when it comes down to my favorite of the month, it goes to DDI just because I haven't seen a movie take place in that time period done that well too, so good, like two thousand and nine. Two thousand and eight to two thousand and nine is like a golden year for me and seeing all those things that Dedie went through and realizing that also the director is like my ab So I feel like that movie was made for somebody exactly my age, also somebody who their parents migrated from another country. And it was also just I won't call it a straight on comedy. There were some funny parts, but it was kind of a dramedy. Yeah, where I wouldn't tell somebody go watch this movie because it's hilarious, but there are funny parts in it. And I feel like that movie is relatable to anybody who's ever been a teenager. That's really the prerequisite for it.
Speaker 15: I mean it captured similar to what we talked about, like eighth grade, it captured which you probably related to this one more because it was a teenage boy where was I.
Speaker 1: Read did a tighth grade?
Speaker 15: But it was like it captures the essence of that awkward time of being like thirteen fourteen, eighth grade into ninth grade. And my trauma that I still haven't forgiven my parents for is that they moved me in the middle.
Speaker 8: Of eighth grade.
Speaker 1: Eighth grade was my worst year ever.
Speaker 15: The movie in the middle of it, which was incredibly rude and difficult. But I did meet my best friend who was still my best friend this day on the bus and we were like the two weird kids and we've been best friends ever since, so that was the only good thing. But that was some trauma.
Speaker 1: I think I lost any friend I made from six to seventh grade. In eighth grade, it's great, is brutal, it is so and I don't even know why. It just got to a point where I just stopped talking to people because they stopped talking to me.
Speaker 15: Everyone thinks that they're better, and then you get to ninth grade and it's like everyone who was terrible to you in eighth grade is like, hey, happy.
Speaker 1: First day of school, and you're like me, I still have the blade in my back from last year.
Speaker 15: You're like you've literally spit on me, like, why are you being nice to me?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I remember eating lunch alone a lot in eighth grade, making friends with people I did not want to be associated with, just because they'd be the only ones who would sit around me at lunch, and I just remember that time being awful.
Speaker 15: I also apparently got a lot of hate because I came in and I was really smart, and I would like raise my hand and answer questions and I didn't know, I didn't really fully realize that being smart would put a target on your back. But sucks to be all of them because I was smarter than all of them, and I did graduate third in my class in high school.
Speaker 1: So that's a fun thing to talk about. What were the things that put a target on your back in let's just say seventh and eighth grade. You said that one for me, one of the big ones with just me wearing all black all the time, which people associated me with being emo goth, and I would get made fun of that all the time because I wore all black.
Speaker 8: Having a hard to pronounce last name. Oh yeah, I don't know why that just makes you a target.
Speaker 1: Because would they make fun of it?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I was telling my younger brother the story the other day. And one time somebody made fun of my last name and I was like, sorry, take it up with my dad.
Speaker 8: Dad not shut them up. Ooh, that was a good coming.
Speaker 1: That's always like the una reverse card.
Speaker 15: Yeah, that like being smart, having a hard to pronounce last name, and then weirdly like I had a hot mom, which makes it really difficult to be a teenage.
Speaker 1: Girl from the teenage boy or the teenage girl.
Speaker 8: The teenage boy.
Speaker 15: Like my mom would come have lunch with me at school and everyone be like, oh man, who's that, And I mean, it's my mom. I could tell they found my mom more attractive than they found me.
Speaker 1: So that was all so difficult. That's quite the top three there.
Speaker 8: It was pretty rough for me.
Speaker 1: It was the all black clothing goes hand in hands being into punk rock. Number two was being chunky. That's just an easy target. Number three, I guess being Mexican, just because people expect things out of me or assume stereotypes about me. All right, now, they were through all of our traumas.
Speaker 8: Now that we are through Kelsey's childhood trauma.
Speaker 15: Thank you for joining. If anyone is a psychologist, listening. Please let me know what's wrong with me.
Speaker 1: But there you go. DD was my best.
Speaker 9: Caral. She's a queen and talking.
Speaker 13: It was a song.
Speaker 2: She's getting not afraid to face, so so just let it float.
Speaker 1: No one can do we quiet, Calne, It is time for Caroline.
Speaker 7: Were any pard too?
Speaker 1: Are you ready? I'm ready?
Speaker 16: This microphone is rolling way, so I'm just gonna hold it to my face.
Speaker 17: I loved part one where we talked about the front the front half of Hannah. Yeah, but we can't stop now. We can't because now we're getting to like the juicy as bits. Yeah, so can we keep going?
Speaker 6: Can we dive in?
Speaker 7: I hope we do part two? Here we can be sad if we didn't.
Speaker 16: I know, this is like, oh my god, the main attraction.
Speaker 7: Buckle up here we come.
Speaker 18: We did a marriage intensive at on site, no okay, and but we did it with another couple. It was a two Christian like husband and wife like counselor peers, and so we would come in with them every day. And I was so excited about it because I was like, we're going to fix all of Shay's problems.
Speaker 4: How to go?
Speaker 18: We came out of it and I was just like shell shocked because we had storyboarded have you ever heard of this?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 7: Tell me, this is good?
Speaker 9: I love this.
Speaker 18: We storyboarded out. This was one of our exercises. We each were given a poster board and we wrote out in thumbnail pictures our lives beautiful. It was like moments of our lives.
Speaker 16: A great way to know yourself and your partner.
Speaker 18: Gosh, when I tell you, it was emotionally exhausting because.
Speaker 7: I imagine to thirty years. I was thirty. This was three years ago. I went through thirty years of like trying to think.
Speaker 18: Of the things that like impacted my life and like that were pretty important to who I've become.
Speaker 7: So shared a lot.
Speaker 18: We spent hours just like doodling. Like it's funny because on our storyboards, we both start out and it's like so beautiful and like detailed, and by the end it's just like stick figures and we're just like dead. Yeah, and nothing else happened in the last ten years because I'm tired and my brain hurts.
Speaker 17: Why do way to clear the pipe cell? Well, so we did that, and the actual like realizations you probably learned of yourself.
Speaker 18: Well, no, the shocking part was that she then went through and she was like, I'm going to go through. I want I want each of you, one at a time, to go through your life and explain each of these and then I'm gonna come back through with my sticky notes and I'm gonna I'm gonna put on the board what I hear.
Speaker 17: You saying, WHOA, This is intense, intense, exhausting.
Speaker 18: It was like when I tell you, like emotionally.
Speaker 16: It's like an exorcism almost.
Speaker 7: It was, so she ran out of sticky notes.
Speaker 6: Was laughing over there.
Speaker 16: It's not like an exorcism kind.
Speaker 18: I feel like we went through Shaise and basically they were like, oh, you can turn lemons into lemonade, but she can't. Like that was like the thesis for his life. And she ran out of sticky notes through me You're like.
Speaker 17: We're gonna come vic se, I got this all figured out.
Speaker 18: So she literally ended with like chronic trauma and I was like what.
Speaker 12: I was like what?
Speaker 18: So anyway, all that to say, we both spent that week and I think the.
Speaker 16: What a moment in your marriage?
Speaker 18: I think the important part was that we were we were opening this up in front of each other and so we literally and then we had to like talk to our younger selves, this is.
Speaker 16: So beautiful and vulnerable each other.
Speaker 17: But just to be able to get that vulnerable, not that you're not already vulnerable, but like to go all the way into the demons and the dark of it all, that was a door that's so beautiful.
Speaker 18: Literally had to let go and like talk to my little girl self and tell her, like and talk to her.
Speaker 6: What did you tell her?
Speaker 7: It was something really sad and.
Speaker 18: It was just like it was so sad, and SHA's just seeing this, you know what I mean? And like he did the same thing.
Speaker 16: What was your coping mechanism for your little girl? How did you cope?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 16: What did you do to protect her so she didn't have to feel Well?
Speaker 18: It's funny because like I went back and because she was like, you need to probably do some solo therapy for.
Speaker 7: Like your five years.
Speaker 18: She's like, you probably need to like go do some work on your own. And we did, we've both done that. But but it was I actually said, I was like, you're because I was bullied a lot, like a lot of bullying. And again I'm a doormat and so I've always been like quiet and reserved or ways.
Speaker 7: I feel like I've like sorry, I feel like i've.
Speaker 18: I've something about having kids really make you step into like.
Speaker 16: Who mama, Lian, Yeah, you're like, I.
Speaker 18: Really give a rats, but tuity what anyone thinks of me, because now I'm a mom and there's more important things in life than someone's opinion, so other than God's.
Speaker 7: Like, yeah, as long as God's telling me I'm doing.
Speaker 16: Good and you and your husband are on the same page, that's exactly it.
Speaker 18: Like I sat the other day and I was like, I feel like I haven't talked to you in a long time. God, and I just felt him say you're a good mom, and I just started bowling you. Sometimes you just like need need to hear it, you know.
Speaker 16: Okay, So what did you tell your little girl there's music to your personal share?
Speaker 18: No, I just said the reason that I was bullied a lot was because I was. They called me miss goody two shoes, like I didn't break the rules and like I was just like a rule follower and and I and my mom told me my whole life, you're a good girl, and like she'd always say, make good choices.
Speaker 7: And I literally told her.
Speaker 18: I was like, you're a good girl, and you are, you are.
Speaker 7: You did a good job, and you did a good job, and you tried. You've been trying so hard, and.
Speaker 18: Like the thing that came out of it was the therapist actually said she was like do you know what? She was like, I'm looking at your whole life, and she was like, and you never followed. And I was like, like, I'd never thought of that. But like as much as I was picked on her, bullied or like all this for for like being good, she was like, you never followed them, like I never.
Speaker 16: Like you just kind of raced it, raced for it.
Speaker 18: I like I mom told me I was good and I wanted to be good, and like, thank goodness for that foundation because Shane and I were both like raised to know and love the Lord, and I'm so thankful for that. But I'd never heard that before in my whole life. She looked at me and she was like, you were never a follower, So proud of you. And there was something about that that was like, oh, all that hard work really did pay off and it is a harder road it is.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for listening to the Sunday Sampler. New episodes out weekly, always something to listen to, and if you do like what you just heard, please go listen. Subscribe it would help us rate us, review us.
Speaker 1: All the things that you can do.
Speaker 2: Have a great week, everybody,