Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Behind the Bastards, a podcast about the very worst people in all of history, and this week we are telling the story of a fake bomb detector that we're not getting a shitload of people killed thanks to the IDEO motor effect, and how that's weirdly relevant to our current moment in American culture. AI all this good stuff to talk with me about that. Ed zitron Ed, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me now.
Speaker 2: Ed you're the host of the Better Offline podcast and how are you feeling about the IDEO motor effect and people being able to know what's real?
Speaker 3: I'm amazed by Clever Hans. I think Clever Hans is a hero who was unfairly eaten my German soldiers.
Speaker 2: I'm it was just desperation and not a punishment, but it does in the articles read a little bit like because they found out he wasn't really smartness sent him off to die.
Speaker 3: You were, Hans.
Speaker 2: Oh Man. So we ended last episode by introducing the Gopher, a gag gift that claimed to help you locate lost golf balls, using the magic of the IDEO motor effect into tricking people into thinking it was not an empty plastic box with an antenna. If you read the fine print at the end of those magazine ads that Sovie displayed last episode, you'll see that the manufacturer bragg that the Gopher was totally shock proof with solid state construction and no moving parts, because again it's empty, there's nothing in the body.
Speaker 3: Was shock proof something that was going to be a Is that a common problem with You can still.
Speaker 1: Get one of those on eBay, by the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's like if you drop it, it won't get disrupted because again there's nothing to disrupt. It's not a pro.
Speaker 1: Brn real for thirty four ninety nine, folks.
Speaker 2: That's a bargain at any price, Sophie.
Speaker 1: You can get one on either Eve or Poshmark not sponsored. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: You could have all the balls you need, you know, listeners. If you if you've been feeling listeners like you don't have enough balls, you know the good ballfinder people can help you have all the balls. Anyway, I'm gonna start saying balls now. One of the chief executives of the Quadro Corporation who gave us the Gopher, and the evident designer of the Gopher itself, although this is a little unclear to me, but I think the designer was a man named Wade L. Quaddlebaum, which I I just m that's a good name.
Speaker 3: That's a good name episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great names in here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wade quadle Bam was a former used car salesman from South Carolina, Yes, who founded the Quadro Corporation alongside an American businessman name Malcolm stig Row. Yeah, the mess. Malcolm stig Row, Wade quaddle Bomb. Great names left and right, come and at you. It's awesome. So I have not found much about either man's early life, which is tragic because you know, with two titans like this, they both had been doing cons their whole lives. I just I don't know what Wade Quaddlebaum was doing when he was fifteen, and that will haunt me the rest of him.
Speaker 3: Getting the shit beaten out of him for his second name, Yeah, that's just the absolute crap. Just his house and every punch made him like I'm gonna call the fuck out at.
Speaker 2: Least every business meeting with Malcolm stig Roe. Malcolm just found himself punching quadle Bomb by the end of his ohit, I'm sorry, man, I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me. It's okay, it happens to everybody I found. Again, not much about either man. But when Quadro first started making and selling the Gopher, they initially put it out in a couple of small southern states and it performs. Okay, it's like a reasonably successful gag gift for like Father's Day. You know, if you don't like your dad too much and he golfs, maybe you get him a gopher because they cost like twelve bucks. You know, at the time, they're not that expensive.
Speaker 3: Probably because the cogs are like two cents.
Speaker 2: Yes exactly. It costs like a dollar to make this fucking thing. So this was not exactly the kind of business that was ever going to take the world by storm.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: You might be able to make some money off a thing like the Gopher, but you're not gonna get rich off of it. So Malcolm started looking at the world around him in this new post Cold war era, because it's the early nineties, and one of the things he notices is he's thinking, where else could I apply what we've got in the Gopher? Is there any way to make more money off of this idea? He notices something which is that when he turns on the TV, when he watches the news, you know, he sees a bunch of special reports on the crack epidemic and the war on drugs and all the dangerous things drug dealers are doing, how drugs are getting smuggled in the country. And when he's just watching like bullshit TV, every cartoon show, every like popular sitcom has like a very special anti drug episode. And so he puts all this together, Malcolm does, and he's like, I bet there's money if you could convince police departments and schools that you can help them find drugs, right like I because like the canine units are expensive. You know, dogs can work. I don't think he doesn't realize what a calm the dogs often are too. But they're expensive and there's not that many. I got out of a dog search once, which was bogus. I had nothing on me. I just don't ever let the police search my cars. But they tried to bring a dog out. This is like three in the morning in Brady, Texas, and they couldn't wake the dogs up. That was the excuse I got forre. I was free to go. It was like, we can't wake them up. We were going to have them search your car, but they're too sleepy. So again, yeah, yeah, yeah, I got that once, so Malcolm, and that's that's to Malcolm, that's evidence. Stuff like that is evidence of the market. Right, there's not enough of these dogs. They're way too expensive. If you could convince and you don't have to make a real product, if you can use the ideo motor effect and convince cops and principles that the same thing that helps you find golf balls can help you find drugs, then you can sell these things, and you can sell them for a shitload more. Then you can sell like a gag Father's Day gift, but you don't have to spend any more to make them. Right. Part of what's going into his calculations here is that in the early nineties, more and more schools are hiring school resource officers and they're bringing their programs into their institutions. And where there's cops in schools, you're going to have searches in schools, and actually searching for drugs by hand is a pain in the ass, right, especially if the school's big and canine units aren't cheap and they're often in heavy demand. So maybe you can't bring them to a school if there's no reason to suspect drugs are there. But if you could put something in people's hands and they can just walk them around and search whatever kids that were going to search anyway for drugs, then you've got a product right now. The problem is there's no actual scientific gizmo that can sniff out drugs. That doesn't exist today. Really, people keep trying to make them, but we haven't figured it out quite right. They certainly don't exist in the early nineties, and furthermore, neither Malcolm Norwayde have any idea how to make such a device. What they do know how to do is trick middle aged men into thinking they've developed golf ball finder. And since most cops and school principles are middle aged men who play golf, well, you can kind of see where they're thinking of file ground. So they change the name of the Gopher to the quadro tracker, and they make some cosmetic modifications to the outside so it looks a little more high tech and expensive. They're bigger. Basically, he also has paper and plastic computer chips designed and installed inside the hollow plastic case. Piace are own powered. They're like paper. They just like paper and plastic computer chips, and they're unpowered. The only purpose is to like convince idiots into thinking it's real if they open it for some reason. Right, So, Malcolm Stigroe and Quadlebaum and their partners at Quadro market this new drug detector to schools and police departments at first in the South and Southwest districts in Texas, Kansas, and Florida, so south southeast to say yes, please, and they sign up to buy some of these things, right as soon as he's like, I've got a drug detector that you can carry it. You don't need to train it, you don't need to have a dog, and it'll tell you, you know, basically, it'll give you an excuse to start exactly what you want to hear it, right, Yeah, it'll tell you what you want to hear. Right. So police departments in school start buying. And I found an article in the Kansas City Star from nineteen ninety five, this is before these were, you know, proven to be complete bullshit. That gives you an idea of how the media covered the Quadro tracker when it first starts being sold to schools and police departments. See if you can identify anything that seems incredibly fake from the text of this news article.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, I'm ready.
Speaker 2: Three Missouri schools will soon be using a new drug detection device that some critics are calling a modern day divining rod. The Quadro Tracker is a small three and a half ounce black box with an antenna. It comes with a number of insertion cards that its developers say will detect marijuana, gunpowder, and cocaine. Quadri Corporation Vice president Malcolm Rowe, who is an electrical engineer, said the Quadro Tracker works by sensing the unique wavelet produced by the molecules and controlled substances or gunpowder. Because it supposedly works through magnetism, it needs no batteries. The unit's chronology has not been patented because the company does not want to reveal how the drug detection cards work.
Speaker 3: Just a quick question, said the wavelengths, Yeah, yeah, that came off the molecules.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the wave links off the molecules, yeah, just in controlled substances.
Speaker 3: It this is straight up just this is how every AI company raises money. Yeah, yeah, just like well we have he's he's an electrical engineer, he's elect Demis Hassabis who's the head of Deep Mind, and was like his a no bell in chemistry. Yep, he wouldn't possibly just say a bunch of shit. He made up history. It's like, what true detective will repeat this because if time is a flat circle, it.
Speaker 2: Is and it thinking about hearing that, I couldn't help but think like hearing this guy be like, yeah, that we haven't patented it, but like it works through you know that explanation. I couldn't help but think of the the open AI or not opening id the anthropic co founder who spoke at that Vatican event and was like, oh, well, we don't even understand the mysteries of how AI thinks. You know it It confuses and surprises even its designers because it really is as miraculous as the human mind, you know, like it's the same sort of bs WU. Obviously there is a real product with AI.
Speaker 3: But yes, except they specifically made it do the things.
Speaker 2: The mystery. Yeah, yeah, this is much more bullshit, right because there's not even like a product of any kind. Dear, really, yeah, but you do see how some of the marketing bullshit is the same. And yeah, I do find it very funny, like the idea that you're basing probable cause for searches on the device, where the designers are like, we can't tell you how it works because then someone might know how it works.
Speaker 3: Then they'll start changing the molecules.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they chang molecules on us. I'll switch it up.
Speaker 3: The molecules will be different. The drug dealers making the drugs will change the molecules to give off a different wife length.
Speaker 2: I hate it when drug dealers do that, always moving the molecules around.
Speaker 3: What are we gonna do? Then they'll then they'll do molecule science on us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, then what fun We can't we can't have to have drugs once they figure out the molecules were screwed. So three schools in Johnson County, Missouri, are said to have bought trackers for nine hundred and fifty five dollars each. So they're selling these things originally for like eight to twelve bucks. Now you're getting nine to fifty five for the ones you're selling to fucking Missouri. Other sources show that trackers were sometimes sold for as much as eight thousand dollars, especially the law enforcement agencies. BJ Hodges, director of safety and Security at Shawnee Mission School District was quoted as saying, if it does what they say they do, then it's going to be a tremendous asset not only to school districts but to law enforcement. And yeah, if it did what it said it did, it would have been but it doesn't. It's the fharanhose thing, right. This is very much a thedose thing where they're like, well, if you could really do all those paris, yeah, off of a drop of blood?
Speaker 3: You know, did they bother to do any fake detections or did.
Speaker 2: They oh yes, oh yes, they've got fake detections, yes, oh yeah, oh yeah, they didn't know where the drugs are or whatever. You know, it's very easy to trick people with this shit. As we've talked about. We just went through all the different ways people were tricked in the past by this. It's the same ones in the future, you know, or the nineties. Quadro's marketing pitch included claims that their tracker could find narcotics behind brick walls and at distances of up to half a block away. It could even what is my favorite what yeah, yeah, it could even this is my favorite part if you want to think back to uh, just what we were talking about a little earlier. They even were like, it can identify places where pot was smoked in the past, right, which it gives you. It's the same thing with the dogs where they're like, if it alerts and then there's no drugs, they're like, oh, he had pot.
Speaker 3: But that doesn't make any sense because if it's where the drugs were and it was the fumes coming off the drugs, that means the drug molecules is not giving off the wavelength.
Speaker 2: Right right, right, It doesn't make sense based on your bullshit science.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I was with you until the drug molecule wavelength that was right, but now that's proved.
Speaker 2: This is nonsense. But it's also just like you're saying that, like, if this will alert anywhere people have smoked weed, isn't that everywhere?
Speaker 3: Right? You're detecting several thousand streets in every city.
Speaker 2: If your device that you're using to search kids cars in the school parking lot can go off just because people smoked pot in the area in the past, then you can never use it in a school parking lot because you know what's happened in every school parking lot in the entire country, kids have smoked weed, you know, like.
Speaker 1: Common sense, I fear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I'm glad I found that old article because they do prove. These old articles do prove that at the time, people didn't universally believe this crap. Both they give you the explanations of people saying why they are paying all this money for nonsense because they're idiots. But you get their explanations, which is interesting. But you also see evidence of the skeptics, right, And that's not when I first started reading articles about these, and I was like, how are people buying these? The skeptics were never brought up, so it just seems like, oh, maybe everyone thought this was real, and that's not the truth. When the Quadro trackers starts being sold in like nineteen ninety five, famed skeptic and magician James Randy finds out about it and he issues a challenge to Quadro, offering five hundred and seven thousand dollars to anyone who can pass a double blind test of the device. And first off, we love you, James. And second after that comes a paragraph I did not expect to read, and this is about James Randy he conducted a test with Missouri Seminole County school district director of Security Wolfgang Halbig, who was considering buying one of the units with a known sample of marijuana. Randy asked Halbig to find the card for marijuana from a number of unidentified cards in a series of tests. Halbig did not get one correct. Now, that just sounds like a deblunking right now, then sketchy about and there isn't about the debunking. Do you know who Wolfgang Halbig is today?
Speaker 3: Ed?
Speaker 2: No, this has nothing to do with James Randy. It's just crazy that he shows up in this. Wolfgang Halbig was indeed the district director of security for Seminole County back then. In more modern days, because of his experience as a school director of security, he became a Sandy Hook shooting denier and a regular guest on Info Wars back when Alex Jones still ran it. He was a major part of the Sandy Hook to Now, that's Wolfgang Halbig. That is not the story. He's actually on a good side here because he is, like with James Randy, he is busting the fact that this thing isn't nonsense. It's just funny that it's Wolfgang Halbig.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very funny.
Speaker 2: It's also funny that he would have fallen for the tracker. He definitely would have thought this was real if James Randy hadn't saved his ass. I do love that too.
Speaker 3: It's so cool seeing how history is just full of dulluds waiting to be canned.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 3: I love it. So.
Speaker 2: Police departments in Illinois and Georgia made purchases of the Tracker despite this public debunking. Between nineteen ninety three and nineteen ninety six, Quadro sold roughly one thousand units around the United States. This paragraph from the article I've been quoting from should provide some explanation as to why it comes right after they describe Randy and how big testing the tracker, tests and demonstrations in three other school systems, however, convinced administrators to buy the units. They are still drawing up guidelines about how to deal with searches of students, lockers, cars, and belongings that the tracker hits. And we know now because of the lawsuits, these weren't real tests and demos and these other school systems they were cons But you see how the problem like, this is a really perfect encapsulation of the issue that goes right back to what was happening with those scientists who got tricked by the table readings and whatever, right, which is, you've got this actual test that proves the device is bullshit. But then the news coverage is like, but other school tests showed it works. Those aren't real tests. They don't detail the tests, They don't say what happened, They don't analyze those tests. They don't ask are those tests real? Where they conducted by anyone but the Quadro corporation where they double blind. They just report three other tests say it's real. Right, And that's how shit like this winds up spreading everywhere and keep spreading.
Speaker 3: They keep doing this today. This is the AI industry.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, she's a fuckulazy journalism even when you had all the ingredients to do decent journalism. Now, Rowan Quadlebaum had other allies in their quest to push the tracker into every school and cop shop they could find. Guy Lee Womack, an assistant US attorney, used his office illegally to market the Quadro tracker after he paid Quadro nearly fourteen thousand dollars for the distribution rights in Alabama, Arkansas, New Mexico, and Wyoming. So initially it seems like this thing might be taken off. Right. You've got corrupt members of the government who are like literally selling this thing and using their position to conmitce law enforcement agencies to buy it. Maybe this could work. You know, it's never been a real product, but you might be able to keep it going for a while. As Jeffrey Stern wrote in a twenty fifteen piece for Vanity Fair summarizing what came next as Quadro Corporation grew, Row attended security conferences. At one of them, he met Sam and Joan Tree, a British couple with a modest and legitimate business selling evidence bags, fingerprint powder, and other supplies to police departments in England. Meanwhile, Rose Device had attracted the attention of the FBI, which tested one, determined it was worthless, and sent out a teletype warning to law enforcement agencies. Wrote a camp to England and moved in with the Trees. It didn't take long before a new version of Rose Device with a new name was being pitched to law enforcement agencies in England. So that all happens in ninety six, the FBI debunks the tracker and proves its bullshit. He flees the country with the trees to start up a new grift, and that same year a US District court in Texas. Here's the lawsuit USA versus the Quadri Corporation, which listed Raymond Fisk, Wade Quaddlebaum, and Malcolm Roe as representatives per an article in the nineteen ninety six issue of News Briefs. According to the indictment, the company marketed the Quadro Positive Molecular Locator as a detection device that used a chip to sense molecular emissions of anything from illicit drugs to explosives. Scientific analysis revealed that the device is simply a hollow box with the radio antenna attached, and the chip is a piece of paper between two pieces of plastics. Quadro has sold about a thousand of the devices at prices for between three hundred and ninety five dollars to eight thousand dollars to school district's law enforcement and airports.
Speaker 3: Great, I know how this works. So you were you were completely correct that this is the gopher. It is the same thing.
Speaker 2: It's the same thing, the same thing.
Speaker 3: They were small and they gave a gun handle.
Speaker 2: Yes, you gotta have a gun hand.
Speaker 3: Ground handle it real like whole monitors can go around being.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, yeah, get me pull blah, gotta have a holster for it.
Speaker 3: This shit. This was pre blo though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder if any cops shot someone while reaching for the Quadra tracker. I mean probably gotta be one or at least a locker. So by this point, Quadro has expanded the number of cards they've offered, and they've added explosives to the mix, which really gives an idea like this piece of snake oil the potential to kill a lot of people. Once they're like it's a bomb detector too, you know you've escalated the human harm because if a drug detector fails in a high school, I'm not gonna say obviously kids in high school with drugs sometimes it ends tragically. But nine times out of ten, if some kid is holding at school, nine times out of ten it's like a joint or something, right, And if they don't get charged for possession, nothing catastrophic is going to happen. But nine times out of ten, if a bomb detector fucks up, you've got a much worse Like scenario.
Speaker 3: Here, statistically speaking, is it worse? But if it's a false positive or a false negative.
Speaker 2: Right, well, I mean that I guess that is true that Like I guess both of both are bad. Actually both are really bad because false positive with drugs means you're going to get fucked up and in trouble and possibly if your life ruined over not having drugs or having drugs either equally bad to me honestly, or with the bomb, false positive means people are gonna think you have a bomb, and maybe something really bad happens to you or it.
Speaker 3: Doesn't notice a bomb and then you get blown up.
Speaker 2: Right as the biggest story. A false negative on drugs not a big deal. A false negative on a bomb, big deal, right, huge deal?
Speaker 3: Not great?
Speaker 2: Yeah, potentially like world changing deal depending on where the bomb is. So the Quadroe did play a bit role in at least one tragedy, thankfully, not like what we were talking about. In nineteen ninety six, the Texas Department of Public Safety called a search for the body of a seven year old murder victim, Carlin Smith. They used a Quadroe tracker, presumably with a little Boy corpse card to locate him. I don't know what card they put in there. It didn't find anything because it couldn't. And that's evil because they're giving you know, the family hope. It's just gross to get involved with your snake oil in a search for a murdered seven year old. I think I think that's evil and.
Speaker 3: Like take it, taking it really seriously and being like, yeah, we'll find your kid. Let me use this box with nothing in it, bit of now coming out of it, bucked up. It's got a gun handle. That was very serious.
Speaker 2: Got a gun handle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of ghostbusters. But your son isn't a ghost we promise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, or maybe he is. You know, the quadro will figure it out. Yes, But you know who didn't lose their sons tragically? I hope maybe no way to not really. Here's ads M and we're back. So the good news is the tracker was exposed and forbidden from being sold in the United States under court order before anyone got provably killed due to this piece of shit. And even though the FBI and the subsequent court case both proved beyond any doubt that the tracker was worthless, some users still believed. This is a quote from that news brief article. I haven't given up on the device, said John Beltzer, the campus officer at Blue Valley Northwest High School in Beaumont, Texas, which paid about nine hundred and fifty dollars for the device. I don't believe the skeptics, the scientists, or the FBI. It may not work on the exact principles that the company says it does, but it still has some merits, added belt Betzer. Mike Thomas, safety coordinator at Blue Valley, uses the device as at a turrent for students and remains convinced it effectively uncovers drugs and gunpowder. I did it myself, said Thomas. I found hidden shotgun shells. Wow, great guys, hidden by whom, hidden by whom. Well. Also, like this is just you think that you're a good cop and that like you couldn't be tricked, and so you wind up defending this bullshit device because you're defending your own ego. That's the brilliance of any time you can sell shit like this to serious people.
Speaker 3: You know, my job is almost as if the more wrong you get, the more you double down.
Speaker 2: Right. Interesting, Yeah, it's this thing of most people who are quote unquote searching for drugs or bombs. To be honest, aren't really don't have a real job that actually helps anyone, right, not that you know, especially finding bombs. That job is important. But most people who can say that's my job are just a cop who took like a class to get certified to get a little extra pay. They're not like an actual expert on drugs or on bombs or any of that. There's a lot of that fraudulent stuff, and like police training, that's a big part of while so not again, not that there aren't actual police explosives experts, but look at how the LAPD, for example, handled high explosives not too long ago. There's some fun stories of that in the recent past. And I think that's what's happening here is some cops who like, well, I did the training on drugs, I did the training bombs. I have to know what a real thing is. If I think this device is real, it can't just me being dumb and getting tricked by this idio motor effect. It has to work because I'm a professional.
Speaker 3: You know. And it goes the whole way round to being like I know better than everyone else, better than the Feds, yea, than these troublesome scientists with their fact finding.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: Uh, these woke scientists.
Speaker 2: Fucking wokey scientists. And one of my favorite fun little side facts here is that one of the school districts who kept using this device even after it was banned was the McKinney Independent School District in Texas, where my mom used to teach. They kept using this thing again after the FBI said don't use it. They keep using this because it's a deterrent. Right. This is a from one school official. We're not looking to nail a particular kid. We're looking to send a message. Likewise, a Louisiana principal said, I heard that there had been some trouble with it, but I tell you what, I'm impressed with it. And this is not necessarily going to be used to catch kids with drugs. If my having this thing keeps kids from bringing drugs on campus, it's worth its weight in gold. Right, it'll just scare them off, you know that need to be real. That's a really bad attitude to have towards your job, presumably finding deadly substances on kids.
Speaker 3: If that's yeah, something you actually take Seriously, if you have this thing in your head about how the dangers of drugs know, would you not worry about not finding drugs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, concern that they can't find the things that's supposed to find, that they just discourage kids is really frustrating. So guy Leewomac was ultimately forced to confess that he'd used his office to sell snake oil, and he winds up having to quit the state attorney, and I think he pays like a five grand fine. The men behind Quadro, including Roe, were acquitted by a jury, though, and found not guilty on three counts of mail fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit mail fraud. And I think the main reason why is that their lawyers convinced the jury that they didn't think that they were committing a fraud, right, as long as they think it's real. And because all these cops are going off on the stand and being like, well, I think it works. How could you know that the executives are lying, Well, these cops are saying they think it's real. Even if it's not real, these people probably believed it was, and so it's not fraud. Right. So if you want to know who is to blame for what happened next, because the fact that these guys don't get convicted gets a lot of people killed, mostly in Iraq. And the response is on the cops, because the cops stopped these people from getting arrested, because they gave them a way out of this court case of the fraud finding right Jesus Christ. Now I should note, though I did find exactly one cop at the time who identified correctly what was going on with this thing. The commander of a Jefferson County, Texas drug task force told the Providence Journal we played with it in the office and got mixed results. Sometimes we'd find something, sometimes not. Our rate of success was about half. I think it was either blind luck or a wiji board effect. It's not nearly as consistent as drug sniffing dogs, but there are no vet bills. So again he's like, well, this is a wija board thing, but hey, it's cheap, great.
Speaker 3: Cheap, and it's not as good as dogs, which are also kind of a wija board thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's not just wija boards all the way down.
Speaker 3: Just wija boarding through our lives. Yeah, please tell me it's not the same fucking people who do the bomb stuff, is it?
Speaker 2: You'd a hope, but it is actually ed. It definitely is. So while all this is going on, Row and the Trees, that's that husband and wife couple who are selling stuff to cops in England. They're back in the UK repackaging the Quadro, which had been the Gopher, into a new form. Now there's a little more opacity here as to like who made which new version of this device win, But from what I can tell, Row in the Trees produce a new version of the track or that they called the mole mol e all in caps, I think it stood for something, and contracted a salesman named Gary Bolton to sell the mole right, which they're billing as a bomb detector. It'll find bodies, it'll find guns, it'll find drugs, whatever you need. Right. Bolton was a longtime friend of the Trees, and together they all formed a new corporation called Global Technical to sell the mole. At first they're all friends, but because the mole was meant for sale in the UK and Europe, Bolton decides like, well, if I want to really get this thing moving, I need to get a legitimate group of people who were attached to the defense industry to say it's real. And the best people is like, the Royal Engineers have this team of guys who like test stuff to see if it works. Right. So if you can get the Royal Engineers to say this thing works, then you can sell it pretty much anywhere, because the Royal Engineers are very much professionals. Right For nineteen ninety nine, he submits one of the moles to the engineer's support team and he asked them to repair a report on it for the BBC. They found it was accurate only about thirty percent of the time and could not be relied on. Now that should have been the end of it, right, Well, the Royal Engineers found it doesn't work. But despite that, the same article notes that several years later, like four or five years later, when his house gets rated, Bolton's helm gets rated because of the crimes he's about to commit. Police find two letters of support from the Royal Engineers in mister Bolton's offices, and he'd use these letters to pitch governments and law enforcement agencies around the world on the mole by saying, look, the Royal Engineers said it works, even though they didn't, and he definitely had the papers from them saying that it worked, even though they're supposed to have said that it didn't. One article I found on the on corruption Tracker claims that Bolton doctored the letters, But that's not necessarily true because Bolten remains involved with the Royal Engineers directly for some period of time after they test the mole and find it's bullshit, and in fact, after that test they will help him actively sell the mole, So I don't know that he did doctor those certificates. The first big raw for the mole, yeah, it's interesting. We'll cover that more in a little bit. The first big hurrah for the mole and for Global Technical was a home demo that Bolton carried out. This impressed a businessman named Jim McCormick enough that McCormick offers to help them sell the thing in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Now at this point, Bolton has started to get greedy, and so has everyone else, because especially I think this guy McCormick comes in and says, we could sell tens of millions of dollars of these. So all of the guys who'd been working together start planning on how to go to business on their own right. They don't want to share the profits with the others. As Jeffrey Stern wrote for Vanity fair Quote, the group would soon fall out amid rancoris charges and counter charges. All of them went on the cell versions of the tracker, But it was McCormick who had the greatest ambition. By two thousand and four, he was going around England with a function prototype, trying to find a company to manufacture a heavier model with a more premium feel. A series of awkward encounters ensued in which he tried to persuade factories to build something they knew wasn't going to work. But by two thousand and six he had found a manufacturer willing to sign on. McCormick was no longer a distributor now he was a producer too. So that's what happens with all of these guys. There's going to be so many different versions with different names of bomb detectors that are all the gopher.
Speaker 3: There's four or five literally the same tag, all.
Speaker 2: The same sold to twenty something countries around the world, thousands of them, all the same thing under different names. Right, it's wild. Now we'll talk a bit about some of these other grift mold devices. But I want to say now, regardless of all the different things these names are sold under, again, this is just the Gopher McCormick's variant. Like most used cards, you're supposed to load a card with the scent or essence of what everything you want to find. But that's not the only way grifters tried to pretend these things worked. Here's a quote from a different BBC article. Samuel Tree claimed the detectors could track down missing people if a photograph of them was placed inside a technique. He said he used to search for Madeleine McCann, who went missing as a toddler in two thousand and seven, and two other children. No, no, it's vile.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, just if you're an American listener. Mattie mccamber's Galho went missing in Portugal, I believe. Yeah, No, one really knows what happens. There's tons of conjuncture. Horrible, some dickhead with like a fucking goat, like just a metal stick in a box where Yeah, I'll find Maddie McCann. Yeah, yeah, because it's alarmingly close to the A power in JoJo's bizarre adventure. I don't like any of this at all. Use a photo to find the missing this is firm purpose unbelievable, really is.
Speaker 2: So Again, Madeline is still missing tragically, so his's none of this worked right, But the fact that Tree made the news trying to find her is really bleak right, and he's doing it because it was the biggest story in the UK for a while.
Speaker 3: This is this girl goings the most British thing I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: Some connaughts, Yeah, And he uses the pr from this to sell The version that the Trees make is called the Alpha six and they sell it to the Egyptian government, to the Thai government and to Mexico for about three two hundred and thirteen dollars per gadget, although it varies depending on who they're selling it to. Their highest value sale was twenty four thousand dollars and over a few years. They're only doing this for like four or five years. They make two million dollars at least selling these things, and for the BBC. They do it all while working from home. The Bedfordshire couple bought cheap plastic parts from China and assemble the devices in a shed in their back garden. These things cost like two dollars to put together. They're just snapping in together and then selling them like the Thai government for four thousand dollars or whatever. It's nuts, you love it, good stuff.
Speaker 3: It explains how every con happens. It's just if enough people believe something, everyone just goes eh, fuck it.
Speaker 2: And if enough people who have the right job titles say this is real, you'll actually kind of find offensive that someone should test it exactly. Yeah. So Bolton's device, after the mole, the one that he starts coming up with when everyone breaks off on their own, is the g T two hundred, and this is going to be the most famous of these Gopher descended bullshit detectors. Bolton lucks out by the fact that after everyone else split up to make their own you know, drug Detectors nine to eleven happens, right, that's like right after they all go into business for themselves. And Bolton has connections to the US government, and he has connections all over the world. He's a very well connected guy. So he realizes as soon as this happens, everyone's going to be way more scared about terrorism now because of what just happened, and no one's going to be thinking because people are not thinking in the wake of nine to eleven. I can sell these fucking things like hotcakes. I can sell these everywhere and people won't even double check to see if they work because they right. Yep, yep, it's the It's taken money from a fucking baby. The BBC describes as sales methods. Sales demonstrations would be rigged to succeed. Anyone skeptical of the devices would be publicly humiliated, and users were instructed not to open the equipment to avoid damaging the sensitive technology inside. We can't look inside. It's sensitive.
Speaker 3: You might break in. How we find the bomb molecule wavelength?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it'll have the bomb molecular will escape.
Speaker 3: Every bomb gives off a distinct wavelength from the molecules it's made of. It's so not how we find them. Yep.
Speaker 2: So some of the devices came with detector cards, as I've said, which were programmed. The fraudsters claim to detect everything from explosives to human beings and even dollar bills through concrete, water and from great distances. Fraudster Gary Bolton even charged the Royal Engineers thousands of pounds for useless cards that went missing from a trade fair in which uniformed members of the Royal Engineer Corps were paid to help sell the g T two hundred right if you went again. So the claim is that he falsified those things. But after they prove, after they give this thing up, like say this is bullshit, the Royal Engineers take money to sell it for him. They're like at trade shows shilling this and handing it legitimacy, even though they know it doesn't work. I wonder why. I wonder who got money right. I've never seen that looked into enough. But it's very fucking sketchy that the Royal Engineers are involved with this product as long as they are now. I don't know precisely what happened here. I don't know if they just didn't know that the g T two hundred was different from the mole, which is the device they tested. Home Office scientist Tim Sheldon addressed this sorta in a twenty fourteen BBC interview after the scandal around this all came out, and said the involvement of UK government agencies and promoting this is very embarrassing and awkward. Yes, it is, and the Royal Engineers weren't the only ones. The British embassies in Mexico City and Manila were convinced to back the g T two hundred and basically helped sell them to those governments by saying, Yep, it's real. Zobe's going to show you this is what this thing looks like, the g T two hundred, this fake bomb detector. It's got a pistol grip, it's got this antenna thing that swivels around on the top, and it's got a whole stack.
Speaker 3: What are the stickers for?
Speaker 2: The stickers are so you can make your own detection cards, so you just put we'll talk about how that works in a second. Actually, ed one great question though, what are the sticks Because there's sheets of stickers and like a jar that you're supposed to sticker to put the stickers in, and like a substance in order to charge them so that it can search for that substance basically.
Speaker 3: And the Bross card reader, of course, I assume Bros is the best.
Speaker 2: The molecules, of course, molecules love brass. Everybody knows that, right, right, right, yeah, yeah. So not long after this point, the United States invaded Iraq, Bolton starts working with another international salesman, James McCormick, because McCormick has better connections to industrial manufacturers. Now in two thousand and three or four, By that year, versions of these devices are in use in something like twenty countries worldwide by enough people that the makers had been forced to devise new methods for tricking their customers in order to make sure they didn't catch on. Users were instructed. This is my favorite part. They start telling people when they start selling these for thousands or tens of thousands to militaries, They're like, we can't just tell them to just walk around with it. We have to explain how they can charge it, because they're not gonna they're gonna they're gonna think it's sketchy if there's no power. So they tell them, all you need is static electricity. So if you just before you start your shift, each new guard, you grab it and you just sort of shuffle around with it to build up enough static charge to power it, and that makes it work. So you've got all in like Iraq, and then tail it all these like soul mangers who were just like shuffling around in their socks with this thing to charge it up before they go out on shift.
Speaker 3: Anyone did little shuffle before they go and use the thing that kills them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you shuffle around and then you go walk past like a line of cars, and if the antended dips, that means that that car has explosives or whatever in it. Right, it's a positive alert, you know. Now, obviously these give a lot of false positives, and when they give a false positive, as they often did, the company representatives would either say, oh, there must have been a bomb there earlier, or they'd blame user error or the weather. Right, you know, you've got a lot of excuses. Oh, the weather was bad. Oh it was that humid. Well, that can't work in that exact humidity. You know, you guys didn't know that, right. In two thousand and six, McCormick inks a deal with a major manufacturing company to produce a much larger and more military feeling premium version of his device, the Ade six' five to. One this was directly manufactured for the new market that had opened up and Liberated, rock which now faced daily roadside bombings and suicide, bombings and had a real need for an accurate bomb. Detector very few places have ever needed one more than A rac. Does in two thousand and, six.
Speaker 4: Question is there a reason it's CALLED ade six five?
Speaker 1: One does?
Speaker 2: That it sounds as eighty stand for?
Speaker 1: Anything why are they what are they?
Speaker 2: Doing automatic detection equipment or. Something i'm gonna, guess but it's likely. Too it's just it sounds more.
Speaker 3: Military i'm just wondering what an upgraded version looks. Like, yeah, yeah well what's upgraded about? It does it have a second thing that lies to?
Speaker 2: YOU i think it's. Heavier it's. Heavier oh the second thing that lies, now just the?
Speaker 3: One how did they not sell like fifty SKUs of this? Thing just like like they got this in pink for your female. SOLDIERS i think.
Speaker 2: That's how when they sell one for like thirty, grand they probably just make a bigger one and say, like, oh this will detect, plutonium like hell, yeah but it's a little. UNCLEAR i did find how they like the instruction manual claimed it. Worked so this is THE bbc kind of summarizing the instructions you got with this. Thing if you're some fucking soldier in The Iraqi. Army number ONE a small amount of the substance the user wished to, detect such as, explosives was put in a clip top jar along with a sticker that was intended to absorb the vapors of the. Substance the sticker was then placed on a credit card sized, card which was read by a card reader and inserted into the. Device the user would then a hold the, device which had no working, electronics and the swiveling antenna was meant to indicate the position of the. Substance so, again these things cost about two pounds sterling to, make but they could be sold for five thousand pounds or so on up to like twenty something thousand and one even sells one of these cells for half a million. Dollars that has to he has to put it in like a big ass, box, Right and so.
Speaker 3: You put the, sticker, yeah by a bit of bomb, residue, Right and they are in the, jar of, course because how else would the vapors be kept.
Speaker 2: And the sticker soaks it.
Speaker 3: Up how would the vapors be stopped from escaping before you put them in the.
Speaker 2: JOB i don't know how the vapors are supposed to, work And i'm not really sure how the vapors are supposed to be functioning. HERE i don't think they.
Speaker 3: KNOW i don't think they makes me think that anyone could scam most. GOVERNMENTS i THINK i.
Speaker 2: COULD i THINK i. Could, yeah absolutely need to go we need to go back to JUST i THINK i could just sell THE Us army water and claim that LIKE i prayed to, it and it'll stop. Bullets you don't need vests. Anymore just drink the special.
Speaker 3: Water you.
Speaker 2: KNOW i only got to sell a few of. Them at the prices The army is going to pay.
Speaker 3: Superior hydration, mechanisms, yeah for advanced, warfighters and it's just.
Speaker 2: Water yeah, yeah, yeah war, water war water. Water so the fact that these things now look is expensive as military grade gear made them sell like. It that's why they're getting more money and the New iraqi government goes gaga for these. Devices one of the gross things initially in like early, reporting is like the news will write about this as if, oh they just are too, dumb they didn't know that it was, fake because like they got. Tricked they're not. Tricked The iraqi government doesn't buy these because The iraqi government is. Tricked The iraqi government buys a bunch of these because they're. Bribed all of the people buying anything for The iraqi military are, corrupt because every Single iraqi government official in this period is hideously and horribly. Corrupt and that's basically still true. Today these are not being bought because they really think they're. Real McCormick And bolton are saying, like, hey it's your job to buy these for The iraqi. Army here's several million, dollars and then they'll buy a, bunch, right that's what's. Happening they're not, Idiot they're, corrupt right. Right iraq becomes the number one buyer worldwide for fake bomb detectors in the space of a few, years spending more than fifty three million pounds on no less than five thousand of these, devices making the worldwide sales value of the ade sixty five to one in similar models at least tens of millions of dollars over just three to four, years potentially as much as one hundred million. Dollars we know that McCormick falls in love with selling To, iraq who would buy versions of the eighty six y five to one for as much as forty thousand dollars Per Vanity. Fair McCormick was also giving volume discounts and paying, kickbacks according to, investigators who have also suggested that he was diverting money into offshore. Accounts but whatever the precise, number McCormick was flying, high even by the lofty standards of defense. Contracting when combined with sales and a dozen, others McCormick's income over five years approached eighty million. Dollars so he does very well off.
Speaker 3: Of this in like any we haven't even got to all the people that. Died, no, no we're.
Speaker 2: Getting, there very. Good, yeah we're getting. There and like any guy who, buys you, know gets suddenly, rich he's gonna have splurge on some rich guy. Purchases he buys a five gillion dollar house In bath with an indoor sound. System heywhere? Else, well but he bought this one From Nicholas. Cage this Was Nicholas cage's former. House you can only buy one of. Those, WELL i guess you probably could buy. More but he does Buy Nicholas cage's old house In. Bath he gets a vacation home In. Cyphrus he buys a, yacht but he rarely uses. Either, instead his main hobby is pitching and selling this thing to new. Marks, now when you're using a bomb detector to find bombs and the bomb detector doesn't, work it's not going to take long before people start. Dying, sure we don't know exactly how many people get killed by, this, because among other, things in the early, days whenever an eighty six five to one is clearly responsible for like a failure in a bomb getting through, again the government is full of crup people getting kicked. Backs so they just pretend that didn't. Happen, Right it's very. Easy this is also this is The Iraqi. Army it's super easy for the company to be, like, well they're just not very good at using. It it's user. Right they fucked up because they are The Iraqi army was not very well. Trained, still during one massive wave of bombings that his detectors failed to detect in two thousand and, eight he scheduled McCormick scheduled a press conference From baghdad in which he stood with the head Of iraq's bomb squad and pitched his detector seemingly without. Shame what makes this all infuriating is that the G p two hundred and the other precursor devices had by this point been repeatedly tested and demonstrated as fraudulent in THE uk and The United, states where they were manufactured Per Corruption tracker. Quote despite the fact that the devices were tested again in two thousand and, one this time BY Uk Home office scientists and again found to be, fake the companies continue to operate and sell, them and received promotional support from various branches of THE uk, government including The embassy In, MEXICO Uk trade And industry who provided support for displaying the equipment at trade, fairs and members of the military who exhibited the. Devices predecessor devices had been tested and found useless by The United states The San Dia National laboratories in two thousand and two and by THE Us Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technology division in two thousand and. Five SO us And british soldiers In iraq are not using these, things and part of what eventually causes a problem for these guys is that the SMART us And british soldiers In iraq realized their bullshit and, realized, like wait a, second our lives are on the line by guys using these to look for. Bombs whoa somebody's got to do something about. This they start pushing in two thousand and nine to remove these things from fucking. Checkpoints the BBC's newsnight focused a special report on the, matter and regulators in law enforcement In england started gathering evidence and carrying out the early stages of an. Investigation and that's still this, time everyone's still using. Them maybe actually ed that year they Rated james McCormick's home and took a bunch of, Evidence so you'd, think, well they're probably not still selling them at that, point, right, Right, yeah because you'd think, so that's the. POINT a detective constable In, London Joanne law does attempt to stop these things from being sold anymore because they're, fake and she runs Into England's Export Control, law which only gives the government the ability to ban military hardware and security equipment that's. Electronic and since there's no electronics in these, things they can't initially be. Banned the fact that their fake protects, them like that's the. Original they can't immediately be banned because they're not. Electronics that's. Unbelievable hell, yeah it's so. Funny this part's not. Funny all this comes to a hideous climax in the fall of two thousand and nine when a twenty and this is in Like, october a twenty six seat bus filled with a full ton of explosives rams into The Iraqi ministry Of justice In. Baghdad, now what happens here is a few things coming. Together you've got in two thousand and. Nine the surge has just, happened the awakening has. Happened this is actually a relatively peaceful period of time In, iraq, right and so there's a drop in the number of, bombings and that Convinces Prime minister and future subject of this, Podcast we'll get, Him nori Al maliki to take down security measures And bagdad including blast, walls because things have gotten safer and that would look good for his. Administration so there's not walls, up which is part of why this is so. Bad but the bombs get directly to this fucking justice building and go off and one hundred and fifty five people are killed at, LEAST i, mean it is a, massive hideous, bombing hundreds more. Injured it is hard to exaggerate how like the one of the worst single bombings In iraqs, history like that gets carried out, here and a subsequent investigation finds that Per The New York, times the bomb truck quote had to pass at least one checkpoint where THE ad six y five to one is typically. Deployed christ so we know what goes through at least one checkpoint that should have had one of these, things which meant it didn't get. Caught that article quotes A us general, saying obviously these things don't. Work we would use them if they. Worked, however quote The iraqis believe passionately in, them whether it's magic or. Scientific WHAT i care about is it detects, bombs Said Major General jahad Al, jabiri head of The ministry of The Interiors General directorate For Combating. EXPLOSIVES i don't care about San dia or The department Of justice or any of. Them General jabiri, SAID i know more about this issue than The americans. Do in, FACT i know more about bombs than anyone in the. World, amazing amazing. Comments if you have met as Many iraqi army generals AS i, have you know a couple of. Things for, one they're all corrupt, liars right And General aljebieri was no exception to that. Rule shortly after that, interview The Iraqi ministry of The interior Arrested Major General algebrai on corruption, charges arguing that he'd taken bribes from. McCormick, now really the charges were dropped because It's. Iraq but you shouldn't take that too. Seriously The iraqi government was then and is now ludicrously. Corrupt harith Al karawi wrote about this in twenty thirteen for an article in Ale monitor quote an All monitor. Quote security related ministries have seen the worst examples of corruption because of their huge budget, allocations poorly MONITORED us financial, support and the urgent need to build them from. Scratch there were reports by The Integrity, committee THE Us General inspector In, iraq and The Parliamentary security And Defense committee on the hundreds of millions wasted because of corruption in these. Ministries yet except for a few mid or low level officials who found no political, sponsor all partisan senior officials managed to escape punishment or.
Speaker 3: Accountability wild how, SEE i guess the justice system works out.
Speaker 2: For there's it's a great justices in The. Iraqi so good every gone really? Good she should ask the founder OF isis what he thinks about The. Iraqi although that was really THE us justice system In. Iraq, anyway, McCormick the, trees and everyone else The british government could get their hands, On we're arrested in twenty. Ten the court cases that followed found that corruption in the military was often a reason why these things were. SOLD a report by THE Us Special Inspector general For Iraqi reconstruction in twenty eleven estimated that seventy five percent of McCormick's revenue was recycled to bride military officials and multiple. Countries, right which is how he's selling all of these that's.
Speaker 3: That is, coal the sales marketing expense, exactly.
Speaker 2: Exactly, yeah we had to bribe them to get them.
Speaker 3: To buy our. Product, yeah how else are you gonna do? It?
Speaker 2: Exactly and the Corruption tracker. Adds In thailand the devices not only allowed through real, explosives but in the south of the, country where there is an ongoing conflict with a separatist rebel, group security forces have used the devices to justify the false imprisonment of hundreds of, people according to rights. Groups so it's not just people that they kill through letting bombs, through they also let governments murder torture and imprison people by pretending they had. Explosives did a lot of, THEM a lot of. People you don't know how, many probably. Thousand again In, thailand people are getting through, bombs detecting checkpoints with. BOMBS i have no idea how many people in total. Die iraq continues using these things at checkpoints for years. Afterwards i'm not convinced there aren't any in use still right. Now the good news is that a lot of the bad guys in this story were sentenced for their. Crimes McCormick received the maximum sentence for fraud ten, years and he was actually sentenced to two more after his release because he kept breaking the. Law his assets were clawed back as much as as possible by the, state, but As Vanity fair, noted did not spell an end to the grift. QUOTE a year after McCormick's, conviction The egyptian military began testing an apparent adaptation of acormacks device called The, seafast claiming it can detect BOTH aids and. Encephalitis Last, june thirty eight people were killed At Jenna International airport In karachi when attackers with suicide bombs and rocket launchers got past the airport's security, force which has admitted to relying on the eighty six five to. One another version of the device was reportedly being used In. Thailand mexican police looking for drugs have incorporated the device into their stop and search. Procedures if they ever acknowledged that the device as a, fraud the convictions resulting from those searches would be vulnerable to. Litigation in some, countries sheer corruption keeps the device in the hands of soldiers and, policemen maybe even up to the present. Day and that's a beautiful story of a scam. Device ad how are you.
Speaker 3: FEELING i hate every person involved in, this FUCKING i hate them so. Much it's also you're, right it hasn't inspired. People it has totally inspired me because it's like the. Same it's people WITH ai, especially they are, like, well so many smart people couldn't be. Wrong actually they could.
Speaker 1: Die it happens quite, often thank.
Speaker 3: You mm, hmm, yeah, Yeah jesus Fucking. Christ.
Speaker 2: Yep it's it's the just yeah loophole. Ism, Right whenever you, think, well this guy is really, smart he couldn't get. Tricked smart people get tricked all the. Time, yep you, know, yeah, yeah, Anyway ed you want to plug anything before we roll?
Speaker 3: Out where's your ed dot at from a, newsletter better offline? Podcast you can find it on YouTube and where you find your, Podcast i'm at ZiT. Trump please interact with my content ON, eed you too.
Speaker 2: Excellent interact With ed's, Content interact with my, content and interact with yourself by getting to know yourself and loving yourself the. WAY i probably don't love you Because i've never met most of, you because that would be really hard for me to. Do but you, know in, THEORY i support you loving yourself unless you're a bad. Person BUT i don't know. That.
Speaker 4: Bye behind The bastard is a production of Cool Zone. Media for more from Cool Zone, media visit our website coolzonmedia dot com or check us out on The iHeartRadio, App Apple, podcasts or wherever you get your. Podcasts full video episodes That behind The bastards are now streaming On, netflix dropping Every tuesday And. Thursday kit remind me On netflix you don't miss an. Episode for clips in our older episode, catalog continue to subscribe to our YouTube Channel YouTube dot com slash At behind The. Bastards we love about forty percent of, you statistically speaking