Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to this Thursday edition. Oh trend Z says Instagram likes are micro cheating. When I'm Miles Gray and I'm here joined by my guest co.
Speaker 2: Host Chris crofton Illo pleasure to be here.
Speaker 3: Look this first story, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It sounds like younger people are now trying to describe liking a micro cheating. Now. This is an intern as the Washington Post describes, an Internet era term for small act of betrayal.
Speaker 3: Now, this is something to do with something like, you know, maybe liking a bikini photo of someone else. Is it harmful? Is it harmless? Who knows?
Speaker 1: But I think because we're all in this new era where you can interact so much digitally, we have a new way of I guess we got a new term now, micro cheating, which is.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay. This is interesting, Miles, because some times, you know, when you can see your friend's likes, like on Instagram, you know what I mean, and you suspect some you meet somebody and like you meet their husband and you think he seems like a creep, and then you are also being a creep. But you're single, so it's okay. So you're like so you're like, like me, like, I'm single, So I'm like looking at like some bikini lady has like one hundred billion followers, you know, right, and then you see the sad fuckers that put a like on their shit, like hoping that she will pick.
Speaker 3: Their like to like be like I want to have sex with you or whatever.
Speaker 2: They you'll see.
Speaker 3: Some guy you're like, oh, people will like.
Speaker 2: This, and it's like a billion likes, and then it says people you know, and it shows that dude. It's like that dude, and it's like those dudes are so horny and desperate, and so I think I don't know, I don't know if it's cheating, but I think it's an indicator. I think if you see somebody putting their like on some.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's first, especially.
Speaker 2: When they're sixty thousand likes and you picture this guy was a family being, like I like this.
Speaker 1: I Also I see people though, too, like scroll Instagram and they like it. I know, people just like everything like on the thing, which is so too yeah yeah, and not even defending them. Like I remember catching a frame like are you just liking every photo you see? It's like, yeah, man, my friends and stuff it's like.
Speaker 2: Living on like honey, that's why. That's why I thought, you know, that's why you think you have a career, and then you find out you don't when you go on a tour, You're like, fuck this many likes, I'm gonna book fucking Carnegie.
Speaker 1: Hall, I'm too fucking Stintyre, or I just don't like. I just never thought of like the feedback loop of like reward of like or whatever. Anyway, uh So, micro cheaters, beware, there is a new term for you liking thirst trap pictures or you know, leaving comments with the most part et cetera. Next thing, Supreme Court one of your favorite topics, Chris, Uh Well, So as it stands, I know they shot down on an EPA measure that would have kept the air clean. I haven't fully dove into what that was, but the main things that we saw as they wrap up their last session, they are allowing emergency abortions in Idaho. But the only reason is they said they're not actually going to rule on the merits quite yet, So that's not We're not fully out of the water with that case where you know, they were saying that someone has to be on the brink of death in that state before an emergency abortion could be performed. But another thing they also were seemingly gave the green light to our bribes. There was a yeah, local mayor who basically bought a bunch of trash trucks for about a million dollars, and then that company gave him a nice little thirteen thousand dollars donation after the fact. People are like, that seems like a tip for tet interaction there. He said, it was a gratuity, much in the same way you know that people are given plaques for their service from interest groups and things like that. Well, Kavanaugh, writing for the Conservative majority, said that the question in the case was, quote whether federal law makes it a crime for date and local officials to accept such gratuities after the fact. He wrote, the answer is no. So yeah, I've been talking about it.
Speaker 2: If you follow my social media, I tend to not you, but just in general, you know, I talk about I mean the Supreme Court at this point, to report on the Supreme Court as if it's like a legitimate organization, is I mean, if they put it, if they put it like a little asterisk on like this is COVID misinformation and they should always have an asterisk on every Supreme Court decision from now on that this court is illegitimate, because that's not like up for debate, it's it's been proven. This is a proven fact that we have a bunch of corrupted justices that have no right making these decisions. And so it's like very difficult for our sort of both sides journalism or just even like norms, like the idea that the Supreme Court is compromised as not something that like the New York Times or the Washington Post are prepared to deal with because there are certain things that they expect to be givens that the Supreme Court's not corrupted.
Speaker 3: So they don't kind of discuss it, well.
Speaker 1: They do it in this sense where they bring up how send it like someone else is concerned with it, rather than like as a statement of fact, you're like, this is like such a politicized body.
Speaker 2: Now it should be the headline every day they make the decisions for this whole fucking country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no sense of objectivity.
Speaker 1: They're not just you know, like trying to make decisions based on the law as they see it. Like, especially when you see things with Samuel Alito and his wife or Clarence Thomas or just all the conservative justices who have all these question marks and murky shit behind them, and you're like, yeah, they were all put in there by the Federalist Society and they're here to do the bidding of the conservative movement.
Speaker 3: And yeah, it should be the top story.
Speaker 2: That's the thing is like there's a couple top stories that should be every day, and then everything else should be underneath because they all follow from that. That's like Citizens United and and and you know, declining tax rates for the wealthy and the Supreme Court being corrupted as a result of those two aforementioned things, and then everything else should be under that. And that's why everybody feels crazy because they've.
Speaker 3: Read those things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those things explain so many of the things, even like with Jamal Bowman losing his primary race, I mean, I mean that is millions of dollars all Citizens United.
Speaker 2: That's such a disaster, and so just fucking the fact that Hillary Clinton is mixed up in that God damn like just that Centrists are fascists and we need to get our heads around that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because insanity, the status quo is violent, it's death for people. It's not it's not something we need to be embracing, we need to be moving away from.
Speaker 2: But again, that's why both sides doesn't. Both sides only works if both sides are like you know, you know, years and years ago, when both sides were sort of working toward once I was working toward. That doesn't matter that everybody knows this.
Speaker 1: We're like, man, I'm just about to explaining cluck.
Speaker 3: We have to cut all the shit out, all right, but I get the frustration.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take a quick break and we will be right back, and we're back.
Speaker 3: Kevin Costner has.
Speaker 1: A new movie coming out, and it sounds like it's like this Western epic. It's called Horizon in American Saga Chapter one. It cost one hundred million dollars to make, a Costner grew in his own money. Apparently right now, it's only projected to make between ten and twelve.
Speaker 3: Million dollars at the box office.
Speaker 1: Now we've known that these projections, we've been like, they've been wrong before. But it's clear here that the the sort of strategy that the studio is going for is like they're trying to do like a sound like they're trying to mimic like what the Sound of Freedom did last year, like from Middle America. They wanted to come out fourth of July, like just kind of get in there, get people out there, into the into the theaters.
Speaker 3: And because they saw that this.
Speaker 1: Like indie film that was just a you know, human trafficking topic movie.
Speaker 2: That's how fast Ship moves. I forgot that movie existed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, became one of the biggest fucking like it made a.
Speaker 1: Ton of money during the summer, although a lot of people were just buying the tickets and you know, propping up those numbers. But the movie might be easier to track if it actually was a right wing polemic like Sound of Freedom.
Speaker 3: Because the thing is with Kevin Costner, it's like what.
Speaker 1: We don't really even know where he is politically, He's quite almost he's all over the place. He's like a red state coded regular Joe. But his work and like what he says out cloud, yeah, like going, it's.
Speaker 2: So true, Kevin Costner is not just a person. He is like a something something something something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're like you know, like with even like you know, with this film, people are even trying to figure out, like what you guys even saying about like colonialism.
Speaker 2: He's a white supremacist avatar. He's the hot face of he could be a Republican governor. It's the same old fucking.
Speaker 1: Oh he would easily like yeah, just from the shit he did in the eighties and nineties when people would fucking eat his fucking just.
Speaker 2: The same, like the same thing is like this just sort of idea that if you look like you could fit on Mount rushmore than you can be the governor of our state and then everything will be all right. And if we just had Kevin cost I mean, he could probably fucking beat Trump.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, Like, yeah, he's still look, he's himself was a Republican in the eighties who's friends with Reagan, but then he donated to al Gore and Obama. In twenty twenty two, he showed up wearing a T shirt with the phrase I'm for Liz Cheney, and you're like, oh, because she was like she was like the first Republican to be like yeah, vehemently opposed it, frum outwardly.
Speaker 2: He's actually a crusader for freedom.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. The Emperor Balpatine's daughter is so cool.
Speaker 1: We love her, We love her, but even like, look at like Field of Dreams, right, like, it's about a farmer in Iowa who loves baseball, but like the opening scene is like like they're at a PTA meeting where him and his wife are opposing book bands, and then the villain is his yuppie brother in law who's only like about money rather than like the wonders of like our universe.
Speaker 3: If these ghosts are playing baseball and feel.
Speaker 2: To us needing to do a podcast where I watch movies. Yeah, me and you doing it because I've never seen Field Dreams.
Speaker 1: But anyway, but then it ends where like Kevin Costner keeps his farm because he's like, he's like monetizes the fact that these like ancient baseball ghosts are playing baseball in this field.
Speaker 3: And then so like the moral of the story ends up being like follow your dreams, man, and think outside the box.
Speaker 1: You know, as long as you know how to fucking commodify that shit and and generate revenue off of it.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're like, what is this?
Speaker 2: What this makes me think of? It makes me think of fucking the Bike Riders. I saw The Bike Riders, that movie that's out now, you know, sure, and it was a fun movie.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: A female actor who runs it, or's the main character. Basically, she's great in it. But it's sort of a make America great again kind of message. It's another one of these like white you know, biker gangs were better and less violent when they were all white and it was the fifties, and it's it's like this hispanic guy shows up and takes over the biker gang, and it's like about the decline of biker gangs. I mean, it's like, really, I can't it's not supposed to be and I guess the real truth of this is supposed to be based on a true story and maybe the guy was hispanic who took over the club, but it's ends up being fee you can't. I don't know how you can be so klutzy to make a movie like that and not see what you're what you're going to, how it's gonna be perceived. It took me out of the movie. It made me not enjoy the movie because I was like, this is actually like kind of I get like, maybe based on a true story, but it ends up being another one of these things where it's like, don't we wish like, man, we're in charge again. I mean, it's really what it is, and it's all you know. And that's what Kevin Costner represents. He represents the fetishization I cannot say fetishization, and I love to say it. The fetishization of white daddies, of white American fetishization of dudes with big fucking heads. And I want to know, the main thing I want to know about fucking Kevin Costner is justice, justice. What the fuck is on top of his head? And why has it been that same fuzzy wuzzy wispy shit since.
Speaker 3: All the way back? Like what is that? Like?
Speaker 2: Did he for semi ball like realistic looking somewhat lost hair?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Was his hair?
Speaker 2: I want to know, Like I wish I could get rich and get some hair, but yeah, Kevin Costner, Man, Kevin Costner needs to fucking stop making cowboy movies because he doesn't understand that he is a whether he knows it or not, he's the right wing here, like.
Speaker 3: He has all these like other like water World. Know, you probably didn't even see water World, you know.
Speaker 1: Water World is like do you know what it's about? Baguely like the polar Ice caps melt and it's all water. Yeah, it's like totally about climate change. They never mentioned climate change once in that film. Just about the politics of his film. Then in two thousand and eight, Chris just to put bringing down memory lane, I know you were loving the movies and there was a film called Swing Vote that he was in that's literally about like the election coming down to this one guy and what his vote, like what direction the country is gonna go in?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, money, It's.
Speaker 1: Just it's like off the walls. But like again, a lot of people are like, what's the message here, because like we were, we were grappling with the fucking Iraq war and shit, and it's like nothing's like, bro, we're not saying anything about fucking anything. And he even said like himself, he's like the good thing about this is like there isn't a message and you're like, oh okay. So it'll be interesting to see what happens with his new film that's about the West but has no take at all. And I don't know, maybe if you really leaned into like the right wing shit, maybe you could get that sounder freedom bump.
Speaker 3: But we will see. Time will only tell.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's a lazy thing to say. Everything's political right now, whether it wants to be or not. I mean, that's the thing. It's like, it's like, you can make a statement.
Speaker 3: You're making a statement.
Speaker 2: Yeah you can, it's not.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 2: I understand. There was when things are stable, there's a there's a chance you could be doing something apolitical. But now everything's political because we're under attack from the inside. So it's not. I mean, that's not and that's not an overstatement. So it's like I get you know, he has to understand, like whether or not he knows it, he's a white icon and that means something, whether he doesn't want it to. And then to make a cowboy movie, I mean, come on, he's making a statement whether he unless he's an idiot, and he's definitely not an idiot, or he wouldn't be he wouldn't have such a nice hair system.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hair system.
Speaker 2: Seriously, I'm fascinated by that, tought Chris.
Speaker 3: I know you're on the internet. Have you saw you've seen the trend about raw dot ugging a flight? I have not seen what's that r so broad.
Speaker 1: Dogging a flight is when people go on a flight of an airplane flight with in the entire time with zero entertainment, like not not watching.
Speaker 3: Anything, not listening to anything, not.
Speaker 1: Reading, just fucking turning your brain off, eyes straight ahead. Some people even brag they don't go to the bathroom or even drink water the whole time. They're like, I just sit there and I'm zoned out, straight ahead. Have you ever seen someone do this on a plane?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Really, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I don't. I fall asleep when I'm on.
Speaker 3: The plane, exactly, I know.
Speaker 1: And like you're like mostly in your own world, where well, this is like a whole thing people were talking about the Internet and now an on deadline, it looks like they're a twenty four maybe making a movie about this. It's called the Entertainment System Is Down, and this is the guy who directed A Triangle of Sadness, it says. Described as a social satire, the movie takes place on a super long haul flight think more than twenty hours. While passengers would usually have access to digital entertainment, the protagonists of the movie find themselves in a situation in which the entertainment system is in fact down, and they are, as Ustlin put it in an early interview, quote doomed to deal with their boredom.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, I think that doesn't.
Speaker 2: Sound like a good movie. I'll tell you that. I don't know what I said about that, except that sounds like a horrible movie and it sounds like A twenty four has been infiltrated by morons. I mean, that's not a good movie.
Speaker 3: I saw.
Speaker 1: That's a common movie unless it's like, unless it's a commentary on the fact that like people are just unable to even be in the stillness, because I think that is a thing.
Speaker 2: Like they make it deeper than like just being like, you know, there must be a deeper Hopefully they're going to do like that. You know what that means that you can't sit through some I mean, yeah, yeah, I'm interested in I'm not interested. Also, everybody knows this. I don't care about it. Being example, everyone knows that they're over entertained and can't be by themselves. I don't need a twenty four to like illustrate it. Yeah, like, okay, you know, I mean, oh, you know, like I.
Speaker 3: Mean a twenty four.
Speaker 1: They're not I mean, they have a decent batting average, so I'm sure they know what they're coming from.
Speaker 3: And I was mad about iron Claw.
Speaker 2: I just thought iron Claw.
Speaker 1: I know you should have been cast. I know you were talking, you were salty about that. You messed up that audition.
Speaker 2: They didn't even ask me or anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know they didn't.
Speaker 2: Auditions, Man, that are so ridiculous. I'm surprised I didn't get that. That's why I stopped doing auditions. But anyway, they send you crazy. I'm like, I'm not gonna what Vernon Presley, Elvis's father.
Speaker 3: Wow, I did that.
Speaker 2: I have the video. I should send you the video audition for Elvis's dad.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, we're gonna.
Speaker 1: Video where we break down some of your self tape auditions. Anyway, that's the most exciting thing I've ever heard going into this weekend.
Speaker 3: So I appreciate you putting that into my brain.
Speaker 2: I'll send you a couple. I'll send you a couple of these things. They're they're really funny.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's really funny.
Speaker 1: Next time around, we gotta I want to watch them with you, Okay, I want to have that experience.
Speaker 2: I've got a bunch of them I didn't get. I didn't get a single part.
Speaker 3: Zegang stay tuned.
Speaker 1: When we do dive into the crofton audition chronicles in an upcoming episode.
Speaker 3: We promise you that is coming.
Speaker 1: Chris, thank you so much for joining me on the strending episode.
Speaker 2: So much fun.
Speaker 3: Guess what we're going to be back tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Uh Jack is on a wonderful trip away rejuvenating, recharging his batteries.
Speaker 3: Uh so you know you're stuck with the substitute teacher for a little bit, but we're gonna have a little fun. We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Like we say, take care of yourselves, take care of each other, get the vaccine. Uh you know, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will see you tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Bye, Thank y'all.