Speaker 1: So I've been writing fiction again for the first time, and like kid, and it's you know, it's it's a different process. Like screenwriting is all about story and structure and dialogue obviously, and with fiction, I find myself, you know, getting more word obsessed, like vocabulary obsessed, which is a trap. It's like I was.
Speaker 2: Gonna say, that's yeah, that's the worst. You already just made me feel like I'm not gonna want to read yep.
Speaker 1: So so what I do is, like, you know, I'll start going down some thesarus rabbit hole, and like often it'll start with like, well, what's another word for I know that? And then and then of course it just becomes fun to like look up other words which means other words, and then what is that? And then it changes the whole sentence and then changes the whole paragraph, and then before you know it, I've wasted forty five minutes and I found myself in a vocab hole. So then the other night, like you know, everybody in my household is asleep and I'm awake, and I'm like, oh, I need this thing, and I have to start to go on Amazon, thinking well, this will be an easy thing, and I find myself not able to find what I need, and I realize I am having a vocab problem, and I start going down the Tisaurus rabbit hole to shop. So I want to see if you guys can get this. I think you will way quicker than I will. I want to see if you guys can figure out what I needed and how and the word that I needed to find it. Okay, So I've got this new office, like outside of my house.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: We converted this little like outside thing into my office. Okay, and it's been a whole process. I put in the skylight, I put in the bookshelves, the skylight, lee Twitter blast rains like you know it's but also like I just had to reorganize my life, like get my stuff in here. And of course I don't have a bathroom, I don't have water, I don't have coffee, So like you're constantly walking back to my house for all of these things, right, and I'm like, I need, like I need something to carry a like a thermis, because I have a thermis now for my coffee, a water bottle, and my laptop computer. I wanted Here's what I wanted. I wanted something with handles so I could grab it with one hand because you know, I have a backpack, but I didn't want to put on my backpack every time I get and stuff my backpack. So I was like, I want something I can like pick up with one hand with handles and carry a thermis, a water bottle and my laptop computer at least back and forth to the house. So I go to Amazon. Is it?
Speaker 3: Is it like when you say like a roly thing? Are you talking like a like a tray?
Speaker 1: Like a oh okay, so we have satchel and we have tray right with good suggestions?
Speaker 3: Okay, starts Now what you're looking for?
Speaker 1: Trays? Weight, just flat, no handles right there, and I don't want it to carry it with two arms.
Speaker 3: Right, but like Ara, you'd want to trolley.
Speaker 1: Oh you think wheels? Now I can't do wheels because gott.
Speaker 2: What are those things called that have a handle in the middle. And it's like I'm pick and then and then a bunch of compartments around it.
Speaker 1: Right, I think you're getting there. You're so you know, like.
Speaker 2: Like I've seen them because I and so what they.
Speaker 1: Make those for bathrooms a lot actually for like shampoo.
Speaker 2: And you in college and you know.
Speaker 3: You're looking for a caddy.
Speaker 1: You're looking for.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, okay, a caddy.
Speaker 1: I went through so much pain and misery because I tried tray. Then it was like no, no, no, it's gotta have handle, so basket, don't you know? Satchel? Yeah, that took me down like purses and like over the shoulder.
Speaker 3: Back.
Speaker 1: Then I'm like, okay, it's a toat right, I want a tote. Guess what toad gives you? Just reusable yeah, nothing that has like a hard bottom. Right then I was like a valet, right, it's got to be masculine.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: Valets are like little trays that you have like to put all your stuff in, but you leave it there.
Speaker 3: They're gonna go next to your sink. You can put your watch, you put all that.
Speaker 1: I just was going down this and like toads came the closest, but it never had a hard bottom. And yes, caddy was the thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, did you get a caddy?
Speaker 1: Look at my beautiful caddy.
Speaker 3: Wow, that is a beautiful caddies right? Really? Yes?
Speaker 2: Let me see the inside? Yeah okay, so I see okay, So in the middle, is that where you put your laptop?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I put, well, actually it's got a little compartment for the laptop, so I can do that. So then I can just have the middle for books and stuff, and then my water bottle, and then I've got this little guy from my thermos. Oh but forty five minutes easily forty five minutes of just rabbit hole googling the word, and I finally landed on caddy, and I was like, a caddy.
Speaker 2: Right to explain to our dear listeners what it looks like. How big would you say that rectangle is? I don't know what is that?
Speaker 3: You half by a foot? Yeah, that's what I was going to say.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a it's gray, right, nice leather handles, it's like that.
Speaker 1: Felt material that it's like nice. And then yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Has a hard bottom, probably fake leather handles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, really glorious. Today is my first usage of it.
Speaker 3: It's a beautiful caddy. It's beautiful cady.
Speaker 1: So now I'm gonna be You can see me caddying back and forth.
Speaker 3: You use that word, I don't think that's accurate.
Speaker 2: Well, you're still walking and you're carrying a caddy.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think caddy everything everything you said though, is still better than vocab hole, which I still can't get out of my head.
Speaker 3: So yeah, very strange.
Speaker 2: You do not want to not on a vocab hole.
Speaker 1: That just sounds delicious. That's kind of exactly fall into a vocab vortex. Yeah, and not actually get any writing done and just feel like, oh, we could just play here all.
Speaker 2: D good about yourself anywhere.
Speaker 1: I'm so smart, I'm learning so much.
Speaker 2: What's all these words? I know?
Speaker 1: That's all these words I can grab onto? And how do they feel? How do they taste in my mouth? All these different words, like try them out? I think it's just the word that's throwing me out a problem.
Speaker 2: Not just just it's it's a it's a problematic word. Welcome to Pod Meets World. I'm Daniel Fischel, I'm right or Strong, I'm Wilford. Welcome to this recap of season four, episode thirteen, B and Bees B and B. What is this title?
Speaker 1: I don't get the title. I kept waiting for it to be explained because I had the same memory. I was like, why is it called B and B?
Speaker 2: So B and B it was it was written by Bludman and Busc.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's got to be that's gotta.
Speaker 2: Be Best Gangs B and B.
Speaker 1: It has to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so inside for the name of an episode.
Speaker 1: You know that that's what it was called while they were pitching story ideas, and they're like, you can always do B and b's B and B episode. That's hysterical.
Speaker 2: I'm going to call I'm going to text pluming. I have to know. I want an answer from him.
Speaker 3: It's got it has to be. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I kept waiting for Corey and Sean to like refer to each other with like yest names or something like you and and like then it would just become the story.
Speaker 2: I was trying to think if there was another nickname for Sean that could start with a B, and it could have been boy and.
Speaker 3: That's what I was thinking, best friend.
Speaker 4: Actually that's you know, like yeah, our buddy and yeah, yeah bah, and you're writer.
Speaker 2: I can totally picture You're right that They probably said we have a B and B episode and they started calling it B and b's B and B episode and it and then it became just that's the name of it, okay.
Speaker 1: Or somebody else pitched it and they were like, well, who are going to give it to B and b Yeah, and they just thought that was too funny, too to.
Speaker 3: Gott to be.
Speaker 2: So it originally aired January third, nineteen ninety seven. The synopsis with mister Feenie out of town, Sean has the brilliant idea to finish his economics project by turning Peene's house into a bed and breakfast. Also, Eric stumbles into an unlikely new friendship. It was directed by Jeff McCracken. It was written, as we mentioned, by Mark Blutman and Howard Buskang, and guest starring the legendary Len Lesser as Arnie. Heck. You definitely know him as Uncle Leo on over a dozen episodes of Seinfeld. The minute I saw him, I was like, that guy, I know him very well from something. What is you didn't No, I couldn't picture, I couldn't figure out what it was. And then I was like, oh my gosh, he's Uncle Leo.
Speaker 3: Well they did a straight up Seinfeld reference. They did a straight like they walk in and they have him Seinfeld right away. So it's yeah, yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Funny because I, you know, Seinfeld is one of those things I've seen maybe like a dozen episodes, and I've really enjoyed it. But I've never I've never been a completist, and yet you can't help but absorb everybody from the culture character. Yeah. So the second I saw him, I was like, well, this guy, do I only remember him from Boy? I was like, no, He's been in everything, and that's probably what it was. He just absorbed it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they didn't try to hide at this time with the Seinfeld references at all.
Speaker 2: He was also Garvin on Everybody Loves Raymond And because we would be here all day if I listed off all his credits, here is just a small list of TV shows. He has appeared on Gun Smoke, Get Smart, The Monkeys, All in the Family, and Bonanza. He passed away in twenty eleven at the age of eighty eight. And then we have Dina Dietrich as Gloria Heck. She was Dorothy's sister Gloria on The Golden Girls and appeared in mel Brooks's History of the World Part One, but is best known as Mother Nature in Chaffon Margarine commercials that ran for the entire decade of the nineteen seventies, and she passed away in twenty twenty at the age of ninety one.
Speaker 1: That's a reference. None of us get No.
Speaker 2: I don't understood Marjorie Margarine is.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I know what Marjorie's is commercials, We wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's apparently like the flow of the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 3: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: And then we have Michelle Clooney as the bartender Kelly. She's in the Usual Suspects and is best known as Melanie Marcus on the US adaptation of queeris Folk and as the biology teacher Missus Finch on MTV's Team Wolf. And then we have Gladys Holland as Missus Nona Timmer. She was in Roland Emmerlick's Stargate movie and she passed away in twenty seventeen. So of our four guest stars, three have passed. I've left us since we take the show. I did just get confirmation that it is Blot and Bus Gangs B and B.
Speaker 3: You call that, Danielle. Yeah, let's jump.
Speaker 2: Into our recap overall thoughts.
Speaker 1: Do you want me to start?
Speaker 2: You start? Well?
Speaker 3: Used that I liked it, I mean, I thought it was an enjoyable episode. I remembered the bet storyline in this episode not at all.
Speaker 1: And when I mean not at all.
Speaker 3: I mean when Eric first walks down the stairs in the first scene, I thought, oh, they're just getting Eric out and he's not gonna be in this episode. Okay, I literally I mean when I'm when I say not at all. I have not even the slightest vague inkling of this best story I.
Speaker 1: Remember because I actually remembered it.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I remembered the A story because you guys were so funny. I did not remember. I liked the B story, but man, I did not remember any of them.
Speaker 1: I did the second you sat at the bar and did the sliding the beer or their root beer whatever. I was like, whoa, I remember this?
Speaker 3: Oh god, nothing, I mean nothing. It was weird, but overall I was enjoyable. I liked it.
Speaker 1: I remember this week so well because of the new sets, because we had this bar hotel bar set, and then of course we finally have the interior of Feenie's house, and then there's there's moments like I still know that song, I still know the Dutch and all of that, but I had I thought it was funnier in my mind, Like in my mind it was a bigger, funnier sort of more crazy episode, and I was actually like, oh, it's just kind of it's short, it's just kind of cute and like cool, and it's fine. But I didn't I didn't love it, love it. It falls into a habit maybe for the first time that you know, the whole the universe thing, like I feel like that for a lot of Boy Meets World and especially in Girl Meets World, and I don't love that trope. And I think, here, it's fine and funny, but of course I'm just already kind of exhausted by it, even though this is the first time we've seen it in our recaps. So when that came up, I was like, oh, let's is this going to be the thing? And of course that becomes a thing to carry us through the last two scenes. And I don't know, I just that felt easy and sort of like, oh, but I don't know if that's, like I said, my exhaustion from knowing that it's going to be a recurrent theme forever.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know what's interesting is that I actually love the idea of a character who has no though I am obsessed with order in the universe and that things need to happen in this order. What I don't love is the direct looking up to the heavens and like, do you hear me? Now, maybe one of those in a series is a fine joke, but the continuing to go back to it as opposed to just the character being like, no, I feel feel unnerving because this is the way, this is the way justice is. It's a there has to be justice like justice in the world. I like that as a character thing. But you're right, I don't enjoy the looking up to the heavens and keep going back to that. But I actually did really enjoy this episode. I thought it was really fun to see Sean relaxed.
Speaker 3: And dumb again, dumb but street smart, combination.
Speaker 2: Capable and and also the thing we all love is Corey getting suffered into something where he stressed out and nervous about it. I really love that. I also will I have zero memory of this episode, not even your part.
Speaker 1: Is so great to Panga gets so much to do. It's just it's just a full fledged, like interesting dynamic.
Speaker 3: They officially once again have no idea who Peg is. No, you thought they were going somewhere with Topanga in the earlier episodes, like oh, they're actually going to develop.
Speaker 1: Hold on it, and then we can we get her in a French made costume. We find a way.
Speaker 3: To make that she's a rule breaker and and and I'm getting none of it makes any sense. They have no idea who t bang is officially again none. It's weird.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a farce. Everything is, you know, just thrown out the window for good laughs. That's the point. Yep, it's fine, you.
Speaker 2: Know, it's a romp and it's and it's fun.
Speaker 3: It's fine.
Speaker 1: I do think that the universe thing, like listening to you talk about it, it's it's it's a it's really a sleight of handwriting trick, right, because it's a way to keep the tension alive but also resolve it all without having to actually resolve it all. And so it's funny and I think it works now, you know, but if we keep doing this, you know, and I have a feeling we do where it's like it's gonna work out.
Speaker 2: It was it was truly Riley's character defining thing, you know, is that she regularly was like, no, the universe wants this. So yeah, we'll see, we'll see how much how much it comes into play. Jumping into our recap. We start in the Matthew's kitchen. Eric is walking downstairs with a suitcase and a briefcase. You have a briefcase. Of course, Alan is right behind him. Eric is going to Boston for the camping show and his dad doesn't want to hear that meetings were missed because Eric was at the hotel bar dancing on tables. And the audience gets a gives a big laugh for that joke.
Speaker 1: We had at The audience was pump in this episode. But this first cut was very odd to me. It cuts to you with like an open mouth face, and the audience is already laughing yeah, yeah, And I was kind of like, I think a line. I thought maybe you had a response, and then they just kind of cut it for time or whatever, or what I realized.
Speaker 2: Was that they can see his face.
Speaker 1: But also what happens next is you know the book that like how to make Yourself Look Innocent, and so they had already knew that was coming because this was take two or three, and so when you give your open mouth innocent look, they went already because there are like a prepped audience that's already seen take one. So I realized, like after the fact that might.
Speaker 3: Be all that's happening though, either want another take on that? Oh yeah, my face could have been way fair. That wasn't innocent, it was you could have done like a funnier innocent face for that. So yeah, but you're.
Speaker 1: Shocked indignant face already had a laugh and.
Speaker 3: I was they knew it, And because I remember nothing of this episode, I was like, oh, well that was fun to play Eric in this episode. It's nicely and everybody that was it. Yeah, that was finals week because it's all gonna be about Sean and Cora was like, all right, prepared for that, and then it was, oh god, there's a whole other storyline.
Speaker 1: Remember I remember so many of Bill's lines.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, of course Bill in this episode. This is just a clinic.
Speaker 1: But I think I think part of the reason I remember it is because Bill is he's one of these actors. And I'm sure we've talked about this a little bit, but day one, the performance is there. Day one table read, Yeah, day one memorized, never changes, and so if the lines don't change, you hear this. So I feel like, oh I saw these lines and these monologues, you know, these storytelling beats told exactly the same way all week long, and I think that's why they're so ingrained in my in my brain, you know, and.
Speaker 3: It still feels fresh, it's still He's just so good.
Speaker 1: He's just the consummate television actor. I'm a consent actor in general, but for television he is just there's not a false beat, and yet it was so consistent and good. Just but these are my favorite bill scenes I ever did with him. And that's why I'm amazed that I don't remember this at.
Speaker 3: All, because it's just the two of us talking him and parting wisdom, us now starting to talk more like colleagues and yeah, yeah, and it's really friends and it's really amazing. And that's why I was like, how do I not remember this at all? This is this is what I love. This is my favorite thing ever, and none of it.
Speaker 2: Eric is a ghast for you to even suggest that I would blow off the camping show to go party Hardy in Boston. That speaks volumes about our relationship. And then Corey appears Eric forgot his book How to Act Innocent When Your Father Accuses You. Eric Smier smiles awkwardly and admits, yess I better read it again, giving a goofy forest grin before giving up the act, and then he leaves for his big trip.
Speaker 3: Funnier joke. By the way, I thought about this as it should have been the cliff notes of that book.
Speaker 2: That is fun just.
Speaker 3: Very quick, very small. Should have read the whole book. I should have read the whole book.
Speaker 2: That's funnier. Punch up, little punch up. Phoene bolts in panic as he greets the family, then quickly asks if there's a lock on the back door. Just then Sean barges in. Phoene size too late. Sean is frantic. I don't get the assignment. I want to drop economics, business figures, numbers. I just can't keep it in my head.
Speaker 5: Woo do you remember doing this? It's a woo who woo.
Speaker 2: Phoene tells him it's simple. All he needs to do is create a business, pretend he's running it, and write a report. Sean feign's an understanding before revealing he still doesn't get it. Wooooo. He begs, let me drop the course. No hunter has ever made it in business? Why cause me agony? Phoene shrugs. I like it, he tells, Sean to sit because it's quiet time. Phoene hands Amy his house keys. He's thankful she's looking after things while he's away this weekend. Amy asks if there's a number at the hotel where they can reach him, just in case, and Phoene responds, I'm actually staying at a lovely bed and breakfast. Corey chimes in, good for you living in someone else's house, eating someone else's food, and we noticed Sean sitting right next to him, drinking the Matthew's apple juice and eating their.
Speaker 1: Banana back to season one eating I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it so much. Unfazed, Sean asks Phoene, what's that run you like? Two bucks? Amy's eiys a room in a nice bed and breakfast can go for as high as two hundred dollars a night. Phoene reveals, not this one. And I didn't understand. Is that supposed to be that his is more expensive or no?
Speaker 3: I think it's less expensive. I think what they were trying, and because we're now dealing with twenty twenty four prices and things, two hundred dollars a night for something doesn't sound to But in nineteen ninety seven, what They're essentially saying, is some of those can go for eight hundred dollars a night, And Phoene's like, not this one. I think that was what they were going.
Speaker 2: With, right, Like, I couldn't afford two hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: Right exactly on its teacher salary, got it.
Speaker 2: Sean mutters two hundred dollars a night. Wow, he might have a plan. Phoene unveils multiple flash cards he's made to indicate what needs to be taken care of while he's gone, like plants to water, plants that need vitamins, and plants that need to be rotated to get mornings on. He kisses Amy on the cheek, saying she'll do fine, before running out the door. Amy throws Phoene's flash cards on the table and turns to the boys.
Speaker 3: Just don't kill them, Just don't kill them. Great, it's a great joke.
Speaker 1: It's a great joke, this whole thing. I mean, it's it's character based, it's believable, it's giving Betsy something to do, something to react to. It's just good writing and good acting. Yeah, And I was also so reminded of the phoene An episode, like almost identical setup, like yeah, here are my keys for the take care of it. Let's see what happened. Oh oh, Cory and Sean are gonna grab those keys. I know that, we actually don't.
Speaker 2: You don't actually grab them. We don't see any of that, but we do see new sett alert, Phoene's house, Peenie mouse, the house eats salad alone. I could not stop pausing for details.
Speaker 3: I know some great one.
Speaker 2: Did you guys look around the house a little? Did you pause?
Speaker 3: I was dying to see. So there is and I couldn't see who it was. There is a framed picture on the mantle.
Speaker 2: Is it the Asian woman who looks like is she Asian?
Speaker 3: I couldn't tell. Because it's such low death. I can't see who it is.
Speaker 2: I thought it looked like maybe an Asian woman in a kimono, or it could have been a person in a cap and gown, makes more sense, but it was hard. It was hard to tell. The low death is.
Speaker 3: You can't tell.
Speaker 2: I did not understand what was going on in Peeney's house. And then there was a framed woman on the mantle who could have been Carrie Russell. If Carrie Russell had straight.
Speaker 3: Hair, maybe ex students maybe that have made been important.
Speaker 2: And then was just trying to find the dead bodies to see if there were any Is there a map?
Speaker 1: Is here's where I buried?
Speaker 2: Over here the planters?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, there's also.
Speaker 2: Like an eagle crest with a little American flag in the middle of in the middle of it above the fireplace.
Speaker 3: Of the fireplace.
Speaker 1: I didn't love this set, and I wasn't sure if it was just the set decoration or the lack of like like recognition that we're in Phoenie's house. I mean, I know we're we're I say it, but it just didn't feel like as much of a thing, maybe because we're already there, Like maybe it should have been us opening the door and like what we.
Speaker 2: Should have started on more of a master and there should have been a camera move. It should have been a set piece.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: It's just like watering a plant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was.
Speaker 2: No like wow in the inner sanctum of Phenie totally.
Speaker 1: And then you know, and I think this is partly because it has to become a B m B. It doesn't have that much personal time going to say it's it does feel like the hotel. Hotel.
Speaker 3: It does right, but it also does it. It feels like they so they tried to do Fhienie so much that it wasn't really Phoeni. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Genericallyposed to specific it was a caricature of Feni for the house.
Speaker 3: It was like, okay, everything would there's a credenza.
Speaker 2: There are also so many plants. We could have been in a nursery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: There's so many.
Speaker 1: Plants, not really well placed, just kind of there.
Speaker 2: Like a tomato plant hanging in the middle of a spot. So Corey is watering a plant while Sean investigates, what are you doing? It's just a house. Sean disagrees, this is Phoene's house. There's got to be I don't know, some shrunken heads, some eyeballs and jars. Corey questions why he'd have that, and Sean explains he took them from me last year. Great writing, funny love it. Sean gives up. I'm gonna go jump on Phoene's bed, just like I've always dreamed of. Corey continues the chores. When he sees his history paper sitting on the table, conveniently accompanied by a red pen, he exclaims Phoenne, you fool. He picks up the paper and reads, Corey, you fool. Put down the paper and step away from my walnut. Cridunzo.
Speaker 3: I know the cadenza had to come back, Cri Dunzel. I don't get this joke.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: No, I get the one that cadenza right. But Phoene's not gonna know that. He's going to walk in and see that Corey's paper is graded in A and go I must have done that and not remember that's.
Speaker 2: Why he wrote on it, Corey, you fool.
Speaker 3: It just makes that it's not a great joke to me, where it's like because none of that makes any sense. It just doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: I think it's totally just a callback to I think they loved in the singled out episode, the like yes my plaid valise at the airport, and it's like a play on that Corey like that.
Speaker 3: You fool, Like the way it's a chest or a quiz or something upcoming where it's like, this isn't for you, Corey, don't worry, you know, because finding his own paper to grade doesn't make it, doesn't make it.
Speaker 2: I also was like, wait a minute, how he he was so sure Amy was taking care of the plants. Why is he leaving a note for in here?
Speaker 1: I know I had all the thoughts to guys relaxes TV show. It's a kid's show.
Speaker 2: My god, you're right right, it's so serious.
Speaker 3: It's nice, and it's nice that you're always the voice of reason, right, the.
Speaker 1: Voice of good times, relaxation and reason.
Speaker 3: Just have fun down in your vocab hole.
Speaker 2: God, it's just it's just a show from g I. Okay, all right, he'll.
Speaker 1: Make me grumpy about having fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Seawan'screen from upstairs then appears back on the stairs. It's okay, I thought I saw a poster of me, but it's just a mirror show. Historical hysterical joke.
Speaker 1: That is yeah. I was like, what this is?
Speaker 3: I mean, the best line.
Speaker 2: Plus joke, he says, the house is nothing like he's ever dreamed of. Three bedrooms, beautifully decorated. But the best part, he's got a six foot round tub. Corey points out the man's got a bathe Sean adds with jets. Corey raises his eyebrows. Oh, cooky, I don't know, I don't know. Seawn announces he has an idea for his economics project and leaves, so Corey tries to continue watering the plants, only to admit I don't want to be alone in here, and he quickly darts out of the house, spilling water as he goes everywhere. The pink carpet, I know, interesting car.
Speaker 3: It is like a pink carpet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then we see the Boston hotel exterior with a fancy limo and a painted out on ing. Wow. Eric sits down at the hotel bar, explaining to the bartender that his name is Dylan Turtleneck. Oh yeah, turtle Eric.
Speaker 3: This is this is definitely the nineties where you got the suit and like the or the turtle neck.
Speaker 1: I think it looks good, but it's just so funny because we just did the One Woman Show where it's funny. Went from mocking it mocking.
Speaker 2: It like a turtleneck on Thanksgiving.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're in. We're in peak turtleneck phase.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're in. We're in Eric's turtleneck face.
Speaker 1: I mean we're turtleneck's A problem is this like because I went I used to wear a turtleneck and it was cool, and now like if I ever consider a turtle deck my wife just says.
Speaker 2: No love turtlenecks on men. I do love them on women. Susan Will's wife wears a turtleneck better than anyone I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: She loves it.
Speaker 2: And I have tried to then emulate Susan and I have bought turtlenecks, and I look terrible.
Speaker 1: Men men can't wear turtle necks. It's not in any era or like. It's not cool.
Speaker 2: It's not cool. It's not cool. It looks a little doweebee and a man. There's something a little dweebish about a turtleneck on a man. But but if you love it, do what you want, you know, honestly.
Speaker 1: At this point in our lives, damn good on this he does.
Speaker 3: He does.
Speaker 1: Look he's pulling off a turtle neck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is. He's pulling it off.
Speaker 1: But it's nineties.
Speaker 2: It's nineties.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a little.
Speaker 3: And I'm like nineteen. So it's you.
Speaker 1: At least you're not like swimming in your suit like I am. For the rest of this episode.
Speaker 2: I know you do have a but you know what, I even like that because it's a little mob bossy. It feels a little like mob suit. Do you get your suits at the same place you buy your Jinko jeans?
Speaker 3: Me?
Speaker 1: Can I just get something bad here?
Speaker 3: I totally could have said that I want to be to be able to fit my keys in the pocket for a novel in this suit.
Speaker 2: So Eric says he's Dylan high Tower and he's the CEO of a mid sized venture capitol group. He adds, you might look for me on the cover of next month's four Bees.
Speaker 3: Four Bees.
Speaker 2: Again, great joke, so funny, really well written. The bartender laughs, You're just at high school, you work for your daddy. This is your first convention and it's pronounced Forbes.
Speaker 1: What what came first? Will? Because this is something that you've definitely absorbed into your actual humor, the mispronunciation of work.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I do it all the time, and it's one of my funniest bits and never never goes to work. And yet I've realized Eric did it because Yalobez and you do this all the.
Speaker 3: Time, and the whiskey in my personal life.
Speaker 1: Brought it into that. I think it's such a will thing and just I'm like, whoa it was on the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so funny it is.
Speaker 2: So she asks what what his real name is, and Eric is exposed. I'm not telling. The bartender asks, so what are you drinking, mystery boy. Eric tells her Bruski. She asks, rupe Bruski. If that's all you're allowed to give me, then sure. Eric agrees. She pours the root beer in a glass and then adds, but I will do this. She slides the glass across the bar and a different hand catches it. We hear a voice. I believe you're supposed to catch it.
Speaker 1: Mister awkward camera shot alert.
Speaker 2: I know what happened there, just trying.
Speaker 1: To stage the reveal, and you know that they just went bigger, bigger, No, no, no, we can't see him. We have to you know, It's just like and it became.
Speaker 2: Became a full thing. But there almost seemed like there was a cut in the middle of the slide. It was like it wasn't one continuous shot.
Speaker 1: And I guess, well, there's set. I mean you could see that they had to adjust, they had to pull off the wall, like because they decided they were going to be two scenes in here. There's a scene later where you guys are seated at the like downward downstage table. But then they wanted to have this bar scene, so it is a well designed set. But what that means is they had to pool the state of the camera right wall out and get a camera up there to get that shut to have you guys, and it's just kind of it does feel a little awkward. You know, it's because it's the whole scene.
Speaker 3: But the whole scene kind of feels awkward, but only because it's rare to see two characters on camera where the were me for instance, where I'm downstage, down in my.
Speaker 1: Back right, I know, right, and that's where they have to get the camera upstage in order to shoot you. And it just feels it turns, it turns, the fourth wall changes, right, so it can't help but feel a little jarring. It's'll connect it. It's an interesting thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But again I loved just Bill and I working together and they're really now it's now it's off to the races with Eric and Feenie, which I love so much.
Speaker 2: Really did not remember that I remember, I mean you had mentioned it when we first started the podcast that some of your favorite stuff was working with Bill, and I remember thinking like, yeah, I know, you guys worked together, but I truly did not remember how much they set you guys up like a buddy comedy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not just wacky will no time. It seems like this if you think about it.
Speaker 3: Chip at this point to though, we're the only characters that aren't paired up. So you know, you got Corey and Sean. Now Tapang is coming in the mix. So it's Corey, Sean and Tapanga. Amy's got Alan, they all have the one. He's gone, Tony's gone. So you've got Eric kind of floating in the wind, and you've got Phoene kind of floating in the wind. And somehow when you make it just worked. You know that it was like what if we put those two together?
Speaker 1: Yep ye, classic good storytelling, like taking two characters who are extreme opposites forcing together somehow funny and it worked.
Speaker 3: It just yeah, it definitely works. But can't I wish I remembered this.
Speaker 2: The minute we hear his voice, Eric and the audience, no, it's mister Feoenne, Eric admits, what a remarkable and horrifying coincidence. Feoene agrees horrifying. Indeed, what are you doing in Beantown?
Speaker 3: I just love him saying bean Town Beat in town.
Speaker 2: Eric responds, hiding from you and I failed? Why must you stalk me? So Feeney apologizes for bursting his balloon, but he's waiting for someone else. Eric questions Corey, which again I love, Yeah, continuing the idea that you have to either be in school or gardening, and if you're not with me, you must be with Corey. So funny. Uh, Phoenie exclaims, No, I'm waiting for a special lady friend of mine to have dinner in the hotel.
Speaker 1: Eric, can you never just say special lady friend?
Speaker 2: Right? I love saying lady friend. I don't say special lady friend, but I love I like a gentleman friend and a lady friend.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's I always think Big Lebowski's my special lady friend.
Speaker 3: It's like I seen that movie.
Speaker 2: I've never seen, never seen Big Ki.
Speaker 1: Can we do a Big Lebowski recap?
Speaker 2: Are you due that ties in with your audience?
Speaker 3: But should No?
Speaker 1: I've never wants the audience here is that you've never seen Big Lebowski. We're gonna, dude, send us letters to Melissa.
Speaker 3: Letter.
Speaker 2: I mean, we could have an entire podcast that would go on for years if it was just writer and will play movies that Danielle's never seen, because I've there are so many things I've never seen, but that's one I can.
Speaker 1: Be super condescend. You've never seen let us let's do film school and Godfather says.
Speaker 3: Movies, Danielle, just sit down and if you've.
Speaker 1: Ever heard what a director does.
Speaker 2: But honestly, I could use an education in all of it.
Speaker 3: I think our next podcast, frankly, should be movies that were important to us as a kid.
Speaker 2: Okay again, I have one I can get, will bet you there is more stuff than that.
Speaker 3: Nothing.
Speaker 2: There's Jurassic Park and Titanic and anything.
Speaker 1: And biggest movies of all time and I don't remember, couldn't avoid them.
Speaker 3: Have you seen Titanic or Jurassic Park because we could watch those. Yeah, yeah, we've we've seen those things.
Speaker 2: We've seen those. Okay, great, well.
Speaker 3: Then then I'm done. I guest over.
Speaker 2: Eric didn't know Phoeney had someone special in Boston. Phoene says he's never told Eric about her before, for the same reason you don't talk about your girlfriends to me. Eric makes an uncomfortable face. It's squeamy because it's squeamy. Peenie nods precisely. But now that you've asked, Eric interrupts, I didn't. Phoene continues, Anyway, Elizabeth is someone I've known for fifteen years, someone I care about deeply. He sadly states that her teaching career is as important to her as his is to him, and she works and lives out of Boston. Eric unenthusiastically responds, a female feenie, yay, I love it.
Speaker 1: And then I kind of wanted to see her. It's like, oh.
Speaker 3: This this actually wanted to see her too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So so what let's go back into the Freeny prequel show. All right, is this like a friend when he was married? Is somebody who is that part of the drama.
Speaker 3: After I think it's after the wife. Yeah, and it was the first kind of thing he found after the wife, But it was never you know, that first when you have after the big breakup or your divorce, whatever it is, and it rebounds, it's never the like, no matter how much you feel about this person, you never capture that original feeling. It's never like, fully there. I think that's this.
Speaker 1: Phoene just can't commit.
Speaker 2: Maybe they met at a teacher conference.
Speaker 3: Exactly because Phoene's Phoene's PTA.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, right, So Eric asks how often do you see each other? Phoene says three or four times a year, and every so often one of them asks the other to give it all up and move so they can be together.
Speaker 1: So Phoene's not staying at the hotel, He's at the B and B, right, and they don't spend the night together. So he comes to this hotel and then he comes back to just hang out with Eric.
Speaker 2: Well we talk about that at talk about that a little bit later when he says he's having dinner with her, but then he asks Eric if he wants to go for a bowl of pasta.
Speaker 3: And I was like, Phoenie, why.
Speaker 2: Just because she said no to moving back to Philadelphia with you, why are you not still hanging out with her? Is he waiting for marriage? I think he and Tipanga have very shared values. I didn't know really, So Eric wonders, you never took her up on it. Phoenie replies, nor is she me. The asking and saying no has become a bittersweet ritual between us. This year. It's my turn to pop the question. Eric Coyley asks, what if she says yes. He laughs, she won't. She'll just smile and ask can't we keep things the way they are? Then I'll go home. Eric adds to me and Corey again, I love it. Phoene gives him a look, you're killing my story. And I could very easily see a spin off where these two Eric and Feenie moved to Boston just called Beantown fian Town. And then we're back at Phoene's house. Sean walks downstairs dressed in a full structure suit that's three sizes too large, a.
Speaker 1: Large and like the collarless shirt, it just.
Speaker 3: Collar the collarless everything. I mean they even mentioned it and was it clueless? Yes, where's my collarless whatever? I mean, it's that was the look.
Speaker 2: It was the look. Corey, doing his chores, asks what are you doing here without me? Sean says he's here to work on his school project, and Corey hesitantly asks why here. Sean admits I don't have an answer that wouldn't upset you. Can you rotate those two plants just a little. Corey isn't dropping it? What's your school project?
Speaker 5: Sean?
Speaker 2: No, don't tell me, yes, tell me, tell me, but lie you.
Speaker 3: Can great line too.
Speaker 2: Sean handsom is board and Corey reads a bed and breakfast. He aughs, there's nothing to worry about, but then he continues to read the flyer two hundred bucks a night. Oh wow, sewn even came up with some advertising. Sean proudly nods, just a little sign up at the airport near duty free. Corey admires the hard work, flipping to the next page. Guests have already checked in, given him credit cards the Timmers. Just then, an elderly couple walks downstairs, forcing Corey to quickly stand up. Who are you? The woman, in somewhat of a Dutch accent explains, we are the Timmers. Corey looks at the credit card. Of course you are. Sean softly acknowledges he's going to scream now, and then Corey on cue screams, shann cute act, cute little setup. Yeah, I love everything, love all of it up. Yeah, cute. We come back from commercial break, where at Phoene's house, Corey is still screaming and Sean defends himself. Phoeney left us the keys to his house. He knows this is going to happen. He wants this to happen.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that too, that Sean is so confident, because come on, he's omniscient.
Speaker 3: He knows, and I just know he left the key. This is like the clever.
Speaker 1: Self awareness, you know that I really like. Yeah, when it gets too obvious near the end of the episode, I was rolling my eyes, but here it's fun.
Speaker 2: Like I agree, completely agree. Corey's flailing his arms. Ah, Sean scolds him, if you're gonna stay at my bed and breakfast, you're gonna have to keep your voice down. The more parks are upstairs napping. Corey turns his flailing into a whimper. Sean explains, nolyweds. They're here on the honeymoon package. The Timmers are holding a vase of Poene's and Corey yells at them to put it down. The woman responds, we out of the timmers. Sean says he'll handle it, suddenly able to speak perfect Dutch to the cup.
Speaker 1: Although we don't even explain it anymore, Sean can just do it for yourself.
Speaker 3: That will always be Amsterdam to me. We'll always just be walking the streets of Amsterdam, just saying that.
Speaker 1: It started in the plane. It's started in the plane. You and I sit next to each other on the plane and me being like, so do we know? I mean, how do you say hi? Or I had like a guidebook and you were like, well you know Dutch, say you know, that's all we can say. You're like, teach me, you're Dutch. So I taught you how to save these and that's all we could say. Going to hash bars and telling people throw in the air exactly.
Speaker 3: In fact, everything you see is to coop ye remember that.
Speaker 2: The man obliges throwing it up in the air and amusement. Corey asks Sean the more parks in the timers. That's it right, Sean nods, But just then a new loud couple walks in. Sean greets the couple, the Hecks, Arnie and Gloria from Boca. They booked through the last minute club. Arnie yells to his wife, I wanted to stay in a Ritz Carlton. It's a bed and breakfast. It's a little foofye no.
Speaker 3: And this is where there's a direct Seinfeld reference. Oh really yeah, so in because then he comes into I wanted There's no mini bar, no Maceadamia's. And in an episode of Seinfeld. So a Laine gets a suite at the plaza and she has to give it to Jerry's parents, who then trash it. And they also bring in Uncle Leo who's there, who eats too many macadamia nuts and his whole joke as he's just in the background rolling on the bed going no, no more nuts, no more nuts. So it's had to when he mentions the Macademians like, okay, they're not and that's.
Speaker 1: Like a reference within a year of it happening. I mean we're on the air at the same time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's a straight up Seinfeld reference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so crazy. Well, the couple argues a bit and Sean casually tells Corey, I threw a few bucks to the Cabby's that way. They tell them the hotels are full, and they bring him right here. Corey loses it, screaming to the guest out, I want you all out. Sean tries to calm the situation. This is our bell hop. He's rude and obnoxious. Alreadie is impressed. I like him, then hands Phoene's vase to Corey to put it in his room. Cory's in shock, leaning into Sean, I have to kill you now. Gloria then asks where the good shopping is, and Sean responds, why don't we ask our concierge. He rings a bell and then Tapega walks down the stairs in a cute little business suit. Corey can't believe it. Not you, Topanga. How could someone as sweet and honest as you get mixed up in one of Sean's evil schemes, Tapanga tells him because of this, and then she answers the hecks, why don't I show you to your sweet and then we can map out your day arny hands or some money by yourself, some heels, She shrugs. It's a living so object.
Speaker 1: To man or do it for money on her heels.
Speaker 2: It's like she's not really gonna buy heels, I don't think.
Speaker 3: But she I'm so so with them all.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, yeah, it's a little I mean, you're just you're there.
Speaker 3: For the jokes, yeah, but not even to Panga jokes. They're not even to Panga. I mean, how could she not have been the voice of it. There's so many things you think about where they could have thrown her in.
Speaker 1: I like the reversion, right, like the idea that like Corey expects her to be against it, and then she is for it. It's just give her a good reason for it.
Speaker 3: But what you should easily do is, I can't believe you're doing this? How could you possibly?
Speaker 1: Baba?
Speaker 3: You know I've told you this is not gonna end well, no matter what you'd actually, the best shopping you want to do is on Fifth Street. You're gonna want to blah blah blah. It's like, if you get some job.
Speaker 2: Right, she can't help. She's she can't help, but be good at it because she's helpful.
Speaker 3: Right, something like that, to give her pretty clever something. I mean, no, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 2: She's like, yeah, accidentally, great a right job? Yes, yes, and somehow keeps helping. They go upstairs, leaving Corey to scold Sewn. You will get caught. Sean corrects him, We will get caught. Corey had the key, He's the one who let him in. As far as Phoene's concerned, Corey's the brains. Corey's intrigued the brains. I rather like that.
Speaker 1: I like that. I love that term, and like Corey's kind of like, well, maybe I could be the bad one.
Speaker 2: Cory makes Sean promise that when Phoene gets back, he will find his house exactly as he left it. Sean agrees, just as the Timors appear behind him, asking in Dutch if yet another vase from Phoene's house is for sale. Sean responds in Dutch, do you remember this one?
Speaker 1: Yeah? In fight all hit teen us is to Coop.
Speaker 2: So good, and he says yes, and everything you see is for sale. Corey nods, completely unaware of what the three are saying. And then we're back at the Boston Hotel. Eric is still at the bar and the bartender says, it's sweet of you to wait for your What is he exactly? Eric answers, he's my next door neighbor and they used to be my teacher, and he's real concerned about where my life is going. What would you call that? She answers, I'd call that a friend. Eric seems less sure. Any a friend? Okay? The bartender tells Eric, I get off work in ten minutes and you seem nice. How about I buy you dinner?
Speaker 1: Whoa will and the older ladies.
Speaker 2: Eric, ladies who know he's not even old enough to drink.
Speaker 3: They set that up to where it's like, you are clearly not twenty one, so you can't.
Speaker 1: By the way, you look very old in this episode. You do look sure, very mature. I was like, Will's like, you know, you're looking like twenty five. Yeah, So it's surprising to me that the joke in that first scene is that she immediately knows your nose, because yeah, I was. I mean, obviously you with in the dialogue you're overstepping, but here I was like, well, actually looks Yeah, it makes sense that this woman might flirt with him.
Speaker 3: But now I have a question again the giant rewrite machine. Do you think it would have been better in the first scene if instead of revealing Feenie by sliding the root beer, because then it means that she might not know that Eric is the right age if she does go to serve him alcohol and you hear Phoene say something like sensors wouldn't have allowed it, you know, even if Poene steps in and he's like he's like no, no, no, no, no, you get it.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, I mean, I don't know, like I have a feeling that's one of those debates we would have had, you know, during a note session.
Speaker 3: But we do whole you do whole episodes later, don't you you're drinking underage where.
Speaker 1: It's a special episode, right, Yeah, I think you, like trying to get alcohol has to be immediately shut down. I don't know.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be my thought is that they would have immediately been like, no, you can't make a joke out of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because that was the only strange thing about this for me was they literally set it up to where she instantly knows he is can't, isn't old enough to drink right, and then kind of ask.
Speaker 1: About them right well, and then this also like I understand that there's this necessary tension of like Eric having to choose between yeah, the girl of his dreams and Phoenie, but it also kind of doesn't make sense because you could you go have this whole moment with Phoenie and then you could still go out with the girl the end.
Speaker 3: Of Lady asked for dinner, He goes, you want to go to dinner, but Phoene's already been to dinner. I know, doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I just wanted to really set up your friendship and the idea of you going off to have a one night stand with the bartender doesn't doesn't propel any story forward, right, No, totally Yeah, So anyway, the du two bartender is just asked Eric out to dinner, and Eric responds, as long as it wouldn't interfere with my loyalty to my friend. Perfect timed. Phoene walks into the dining room. The cougar bartender wonders, isn't that him now? Without turning around, Eric replies, it has to be because something good was going to happen in my life, and she laughs something really good. Wow, just going, my gosh, the she's not even wearing another jacket. Imagine how fast.
Speaker 1: Making out?
Speaker 2: Oh my god. For sure the audience whoo hoo's loudly because they really want to see this one night stand happen. Eric tries to make this work, but see, it's my first convention away from home, and dinner with a lady bartender would be He turns around to look at Phoene, who looks sad as hell. Eric announces, I hate everything. The bartender sweetly kisses him on the cheek the same way Phoene kisses Amy Matthews, Yeah, gaining another woo from this incredibly saucy audience.
Speaker 1: Horned up crowd who orned on the crowd.
Speaker 3: It's a crowd that is ready to nash. Let me tell you is bad. You got where you can get Listen Prisoners.
Speaker 2: Prisoner Phoene's sitting alone at a table, looking glum, wishing for a salad. Probably Eric sits with him and asks if he's all right. Phoenie answers. Every year I look forward to seeing her, and every year we part company, knowing that we care for each other, but not enough to give up the lives we've made.
Speaker 1: Now, when this happened, I thought it was going to be something a little more like something would have turned. And I was araied that she didn't show up.
Speaker 2: I thought she did she was dead.
Speaker 3: I thought I thought she had met somebody else and told him that she was marrying somebody else.
Speaker 2: That's great, she was committing, but to somebody there, That's.
Speaker 1: What I thought about, because this didn't feel like enough of a turn. It kind of feels like the same scene we've already had, just a little deeper, which.
Speaker 3: Because aren't they then going to do the same thing next year? I mean, nothing's changed so that the relationship hasn't ended. They're going to do exactly the same thing next year.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess I can see the idea though that for whatever reason this, Phoenie goes, why do we do this? Because because it does become about why won't I take the risk? And his question then to himself is is it about the person not being worth the risk?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: And then he can end one in the tag a little bit too, because he sees the old couple and it's like, maybe he will go back to a listen bit. So it's about him, not about her. If it was out of his control, like she had already rejected him or chosen somebody else, right, then you wouldn't have that helpe in the tag. Oh okay, we talked.
Speaker 3: God, I got to see this prequel because I want to see Phoenie actually in love. I want to see that so badly, right. I mean we get to see it later obviously with Bolinger, but I want to see that early Phoene and that the love of his life.
Speaker 2: No, I do too, Eric is thrilled. You pop the question. She said yes, and you're stuck good. Phoenie admits no, she said no, we always say no. Why do we always say no? Eric bluntly states, because you don't really love each other. And Phoene asks, how would you know that, mister Matthews, And Eric says, if you did, you'd risk anything for that love, even lives you've made and find comfortable. Peene wonders if at this stage in his life his risk taking days are over. Maybe he never appreciated the value of taking a risk, and that's why he's missed the chance at true love. And I wanted this yell a second time. You mean because your marriage to Lillian was real love?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, this besides the like, I couldn't get over the fact that Will's holding a root beer like a beer, which is just to me crazy, but.
Speaker 3: I was either nursing it or I'm on like my eleven root beer the night.
Speaker 1: Beyond that awkwardness, this is I kept. I was having this very bizarre experience watching the scene, being like, what, why is this so familiar? It's because this is the most Will I've ever seen. Eric, you are so relaxed, like you feel like you weren't doing bits you were also doing like because you know, I feel like you've had modes. You're either like you know, being funny or being very emotional and dramatic and instead in this scene, you're just like, you know, you're he's the one that's having this sort of moment when you're just being a supportive character, and it was so fun to just see you. I was like, Oh, this is what dinner with Will's like. I felt Will for like the like a pure Will. Throughout this entire scene. I was like, this is so if anybody wants to know what Will is actually like when he's not on this is it. This is what like wilfred ell, this is this is dinner with Wild And it was a good feeling. It filled me with light. So you know down the line when I you know, when if you ever leave my life or van, I know that I can watch this scene and get the same feel.
Speaker 2: Eric tries to relate, I felt that same way when I broke up with Debbie. He leans in, you remember that. Phoenie quickly responds no. Eric explains he's still plugging away because he believes true love can come at any time. Phoene states, until then, I will continue my life teaching my students. Eric, who learned this from a nearby horned up bartender just minutes ago, says Phoene has more than his students. He has his friends. Phoenie nods if you haven't had your dinner yet. I thought we might grab a bowl of pasta on the North End. Eric's size. It's his first night in Boston. He was thinking of something a little riskier. Maybe you and me can go out hit the town, check out the action. What does that mean?
Speaker 1: I do strip club?
Speaker 3: Yeah, strip club like code? I don't my entire life. I have no idea the code. The code I always.
Speaker 1: Knew, like when you work on a film and you're you say you're going to check out the local ballet.
Speaker 3: Wow, code for sual, code for going.
Speaker 1: It was a code. When we were doing Cabin Fever, That's what everybody said, like, oh, if you check out the local ballet, and it was like, oh, strip club, right. I would have been sitting at a ballet by myself, going where the hell is everywhere is everybody?
Speaker 2: They told me they were going to go at this ballet action.
Speaker 1: I was like, what is the action? What does that mean?
Speaker 3: I know?
Speaker 2: Maybe? I mean the other thing is because I would think normally that this means let's go to a bar. You can't even get into a bar. I've already been over that, so they can't even go bar hopping or anything.
Speaker 3: So, Danielle, have you ever been to a strip club? Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, probably more than both of you can bee.
Speaker 1: I'm probably sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is where I was wondering if Phoene wanting a second dinner makes no sense to me, and it did make me think is he hiding something? Did she not show up? If she did, I don't know. It just was confusing to me that he was still hungry. Phoene asks, you mean cruise for chicks and eric smirks and their mothers. But I'm pretty sure you mean and their grandmothers.
Speaker 3: What I've got to especially interested.
Speaker 2: In a thirty five year old forty year old woman.
Speaker 3: I got a question, Yeah, what if dinner with Phoenie and his lady friend really means they were doing the deed so they didn't eat, which is why he's now hungry afterwards, Like they're having that conversation in bed about do you want to be with me forever? No, I'm not going to do that. It's like, okay, totally see each other three or four times a year. They meet at this hotel. They're not he's staying at the B and B. So it's like, it's not they don't spend the night.
Speaker 2: By the hour.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's where she's staying. They go sad.
Speaker 1: I wish they could have made that a little bit more, you know, explicit, because that would have been that's even sadder that Phoenie's like, you know, I actually kind of want more, right, right, and he wants more and they always do every year.
Speaker 3: They just do each other essentially every year, a couple of times a year, and then I'm hungry and he wants exactly. Oh my god, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Guys, I don't know. I think we've maybe thought too much about it, and I thought.
Speaker 3: Enough about it.
Speaker 1: Sitcom guys, relax, stop think you can you just have fun with the shows A, B and B. They both teacher, it's funny, old guy funny wants to get it on.
Speaker 2: Eric admits I don't understand this friendship. Phoene throws his arms up. Neither do I. They walk out, leaving behind a bartender who was, by the way, a way less risky move than going you have a sure thing. Yes, maybe she's got a friend Grandma, grandma exactly. Then we are back in Phoenie's house. Corey now in a tucks joyfully plays the piano as Tapanga and the Bed and Breakfast guests gather around him singing.
Speaker 3: In Unison, I love how Cory plays the piano though, it's one of my favorite.
Speaker 1: He's just sitting at the piano. You remember this, Danielle, You don't love it all week long? This that the greatest thing. Okay, So this was It was so fun because first of all, Ben just loves singing and loves that you can have. How much fun he's having. He just like this has been in his element. So the idea that he got to like play. So they during rehearsal, they brought a piano in onto the side of the stage, like not even in the set, but on like a real piano and do the side of the stage, which is just when I think about that, like how cool is life when you're on a set And they're just like, we need to rehearse for the week, Let's see a piano. So Ray Colcord sat at the piano and taught us all this song and we sat and we all sang. I thought I sang it in the episode because I remember singing it all together and Bill calling me out for being a horrible singer. Really yeah, yeah, yeah. We're all like by the line of the Silvery Moon, you know, and just coming up with all the bits of like by the mood but and having so much fun and Bill just being like, hmm, someone, someone's off, someone's off. And then he just pointed to me and he's like and I think this one here, and we just laughed. I will never forget it, because you know, like I'm not a great singer. I'm always off key.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, Bill Daniels just called me out.
Speaker 1: He laughed and walked away, and I was like, he's right. Remember that so much fun because I mean I remember Betsy. Betsy is a great singer and loved singing, so she was like a big part of it. And she and Ben used to always do musicals to get They would always be seeing musicals and like backs, and so this was just such a fun moment, you know, and you can see how much fun Ben's having with it. It was so great.
Speaker 2: And I don't like singing and I don't like musicals, and so I was probably just like get this week over not having fun this week French maid out exactly. I was probably excited about that was not quite as bast You.
Speaker 1: Actually dressed up as a French maid for first week?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, I would have been a French maid as a job. I probably would have taken that role.
Speaker 3: Did you have to be French? Can't you just cleaned it up?
Speaker 2: That's that's boring, that's boring. You have to wear you have to wear the acoutral uh so. Arnie is especially getting into the song. The song ends and they all tip Corey for his performance. Shawn appears on the stairwell telling everyone there's news from the honeymoon suiteet. The more parks have eaten. The crowd cheers and excitement. The Panga reminds Gloria, don't forget about the sunrise nature walk tomorrow morning. Wear comfortable shoes. Arnie asks to Panga, chocolate mint, she doesn't hesitate right on your pillow. Arnie turns to Corey, mister lucky. Corey looks at to Panga lovingly. I know Corey counts as tips forty two.
Speaker 1: The entirety of the relationship I have not just may developed, we have not developed.
Speaker 3: She's a good.
Speaker 2: About their relationship.
Speaker 1: Like the Flintstones. They have a lot of shared interests.
Speaker 3: According to Will, No, it's one thing.
Speaker 1: One episode. Yeah, that's all that matters. She likes the stuff he likes. We're good.
Speaker 2: We're good.
Speaker 3: How about they both likes the same stuff instead of she likes what he likes.
Speaker 1: That's all she just needs to say, I also like this you like.
Speaker 2: He tells Sean, Now we can afford that public defender, and he emphasizes, I cannot do time.
Speaker 3: We can afford the public defender is a great line.
Speaker 2: Great line, Sean laughs. They won't get caught. They've grown as schemers. Sean has finally rubbed off on Corey. He's as shady as him now and he just has to deal with it. Corey responds, wrong, the universe will catch up to us. I trust the universe. Sean says. The universe better hurry up because they're all leaving tomorrow. All we have to do is make it through breakfast, and we didn't get caught. Corey panics, we have to get caught at breakfast. He points up at the sky. You hear me. Sean stops him. Wait a minute, are we feeding them at breakfast? Corey nods there it is. So it's all very confusing.
Speaker 1: I think it's it's almost really funny because the idea is like close the idea is, and I think Corey just needed to set it up a little bit more like something's gonna happen, right, that's gonna be the thing that we didn't think about. That just set up a bit there. It is is like the universe is right, but if you had just made it a little more specific, because it's it is kind of funny.
Speaker 2: It actually we sometimes we've made jokes before about tea teeed up.
Speaker 1: This is a case of actually, well, the problem is, I think, and this is the problem with the whole universe thing is that it's it takes away tension between us. If Corey is angry with the universe or pointing everything to the universe, it takes away from the two of us debating or arguing. And I'm super confident and cocky and don't care and I'm not phased by him, and he's not yelling at me anymore. So it loses tension. It actually dissolves it. If you had been turning to me being like something's gonna happen and you're gonna be the you know, and then I'm like ooh, I didn't think about breakfast. Then it's on me. Then he can say there, I don't know, it's a little yeah.
Speaker 2: No, you're right.
Speaker 1: And then the pancakes.
Speaker 2: Do you remember the pancakes. It's not very.
Speaker 3: Funny, very funny, it's so funny.
Speaker 2: So then we're in the Matthew's kitchen, Alan, Amy, and Corey are just sitting down for breakfast. Alan reaches for a giant stack of pancakes at the table, but Corey slaps his hand away. I think it's only fitting that we our heads and give thanks for the food in front of us. Amy and Allen are suspicious, but they bow their heads anyway. Corey pushes them lower. Then Corey begins to say thanks and starts throwing pancakes blindly over his head to Sean, who we see in the backyard sideyard, catching every single pancake. I cannot believe you don't remember this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we only would have done it like the one time, right, like during rehearsal, we never would have had pancakes. So it was just finally on the tape day they would have brought them in and like they would have to catch us. Yeah, thought the ability to throw from kitchen into the backyard and me actually catch it. I don't know, Yeah, I don't remember.
Speaker 2: It, but I mean I do know. We used to. I think, at least I think we used to cut more corners during rehearsal and run throughs now. I am amazed. It's never, it's never. Not once caught me off guard that on day one for producer run through all the props and everything everything props. I mean day one rehearse, we rehearse with full props's are you going to have your purse? Put your purse on? Are you going to have that? Grab that? Now? We every single smart.
Speaker 1: It's smart. It puts more of the onus on the writing to stay the way it is, like you know, like leaving it more sort of improvy and like open. It actually allows for more rewrites. But that's interesting that they're getting more nailed down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, and.
Speaker 1: Find if the scripts are changing less than compared to like back in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Yes, the scripts definitely change less. But also you know there are times where sometimes whether it's network or it's an EP, who will say, listen, we've we've I love what's based like the basis of what's here but these individual characters need to have, you know, and then then kind of significant stuff will change. But yeah, nothing like what we used to do. We're on a tape night, walk out and a pencil down a page and rewrite, nothing like that.
Speaker 1: But I also feel like you would have avoided some of the problems that I remember all having, which is a prop showing up on tape day and it being correct, what is wanted?
Speaker 3: And what what?
Speaker 1: What is this? This can't be right, and then you can't go and get it. So like having all the props and art department stuff as early as possible is only good really.
Speaker 2: And it helps you as a director too, because you know whether or not something is going to work, and if it's not going to work, what you are going to need in order to make it work. And everyone can start to have time to do that. So I mean, because I do I've thought before, like we didn't used to do that. We didn't have props on day one, but you know, I feel like by the time we got to network run through, you would have had something to catch maybe. So then we're in Phoenie's house, Corey walks down the stairs triumphantly. We did it. The upstairs is and shambles, and every dish Phoenie owns is in the sink. He wants to get caught so he can be at peace without punishment. Corey's world loses both form and meaning. Sean questions, you were one of those kids that enjoys getting enjoyed getting such a great beat. Yeah, so funny, Corey admits, I always deserved it. Gloria heck down the stairs with cleaning supplies. You made us feel so welcome. We all tidied up after ourselves. Oh and Nona did all the dirty dishes. Cory raises his arms to the sky. Don't you know it's us? Corey says he's not comfortable with this. In the old days, they'd be standing there patting themselves on the back, and then the doorknob would start turning. And then the doorknob does start turning, and as Corey predicted, Phoene Waltz is in. Corey thanks the universe for caring about them, but then Feene notices he forgot his overnight back. He needs to run back to the cab to get it. This can still be pulled off. All they have to do is get their guests checked out. In the next fifteen seconds. Corey refuses, it's over and he is at peace the group of guests and magically walk out of the side group. Gloria tells her husband that they need to leave in the next five seconds so they don't miss their flight. The Timmers agree to split a taxi with them, and Corey and Sean watch the conversation in awe. Sean thanks them for staying, reminding them he has their deposits and we'll hold their rooms for Christmas. Corey reminds him Feoene is right outside the door, so it's over. He's going towards the white light, but on cue. Arnie tells the group, let's go out the back way. I want to take that bench with me. Just as the group leaves, Phoene walks back through the front door. Sean exclaims, here she is, mister Feenie, your house does she look the same? Cory's ready for the punishment, but Poene admires the credenza is nicely polished, plants look well sunned. Corey points to Sean that the statue is missing. Arnie took it. Phoene then also notices it's gone. Corey shouts, I confess all is right with the world. From the side room just beyond vision, Arnie hands Cory the statue. Sean quickly hands it to Feenie, saying they were just giving it a quick polish. Phoene tells the boys they did a wonderful job. Cory is stunned, and Sean walks toward the front door. As they're walking away, Phoenie asks how much money did you actually make? Cory throws his hands in the air, thank you so much, and he gives Foenie a big hug. He points to the sky. I knew you still cared about me.
Speaker 1: Oh did you notice the giant break?
Speaker 3: No? Oh? Oh yeah? Oh for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I lose it. This is one of the clearest times where we are just completely breaking character. And I think what was supposed to have up it is that it was written as both of us doing the and then you just I'm doing and he didn't do it. He goes out, and then we look at each other. You can see him turn look at me like I didn't do it, and I'm looking, what are you doing? We clearly just and they kept it, and they kept it, and they kept it. It's so funny. Oh my god, that is just us like looking at each other like you and I don't know if it was him being intentional or me. Maybe it was like we were supposed to do so, but we were out of sync and we're just laughing at each other for being out of sync.
Speaker 2: So funny. I love it when they use those You wonder like was that the best they had or did they also.
Speaker 3: Just like the energy. I have a quick question, not to go back to a very old conversation that we've had a thousand times, but in Feoene's yard that we see all the time, the dead bodies, the dead body owed, uh, the Azalea yard, is there a bench?
Speaker 1: There's no there's like there have been those chairs that he sat right with Corey, right.
Speaker 3: But he says, let's go out the back. I want us to take the bench.
Speaker 2: It could be the back side where it could be like beside you're talking about where you think is the backyard, right? Because remember his because isn't his car? Isn't that where he parked his car?
Speaker 3: Again, I know it's an esher house. I was just every time. Now there's a little nugget, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, hmmm, yeah, I don't I don't know, guys, it's a nineties sitcom.
Speaker 3: Relax, just have fun.
Speaker 2: Fun, So glad you're here to remind us to just.
Speaker 1: You know, some people over analyze this stuff, but you really too deep and they care too much.
Speaker 2: You know, when we were talking about our roles on this podcast, writer is the fun one was just exactly, were like writers here to provide the joy and the fun and the compensation.
Speaker 1: You guys want a dance, so a TikTok video. Come on, who's gonna lipsyick? Nope, come on, you guys. I don't have any fun anymore.
Speaker 3: I feel like the world might be coming to an end. Something's happening.
Speaker 2: Sean asks Pheenie how he knew, and Phoenie admits it was actually the cab driver. I gave him my address. He said he knew the place well, and I should get the room with the jacuzzi. Sean says, the cabs and then you break again, Right, that's the moment I was remembering.
Speaker 3: Then you break again, ye.
Speaker 1: Deep wort the cab driver. That's awful.
Speaker 3: Sure, it's kind.
Speaker 1: Just kick out some hard working the immigrants who's completely hooked me up all weekend long. Exactly weekend long. I'm just gonna stuport him.
Speaker 3: Awful.
Speaker 2: Cory asks, so, I guess you want the money back. Phoene responds, I think that'd be appropriate. Sean hands him the cash and asks how much trouble he's in. Phoene's astounded at the amount of money they made the usual mister hunter. Sean's confused, and Phoene explains he took a risk, and I happen to have a soft spot now for risk takers. Corey whispers to his best friend, take another risk and ask for the money back. Sean doesn't hesitate. Can I have the money back?
Speaker 3: That's you? Don't that you not stopping in between the two like running over. It was the perfect way to read that joke. It was. It really was for the money back. Can we have the money back?
Speaker 2: That's high praise coming from you?
Speaker 1: That was great.
Speaker 2: Phoene tells him, yes, you can. When you're in college, you already prove to yourself that you have a future in business. That and a college education, you'll do fine. Sean smiles. He's going to be okay in this world. He doesn't have to be a criminal. And I love the way this this the way this is all resolved, so kind of like, hey, I don't have to Rob Banks is hilarious, Like I love that Corey tells him, And the universe is a better town for that could have done with one less universe and less universe thing. Then we're in the tag. We're in Phoenie's house. Continuing, Phoene repeatedly knocks on the door to his bedroom, but he gets no response. He yels, I understand that you're the honeymoon couple, and I appreciate the fact that you've paid for two nights, but I must insist that you vacate my bedroom immediately. Checkout time is now to Panga nonchalantly creeps up behind him in a French made outfit carrying cleaning supplies, but quickly darts away when she sees Phoenie. No one apparently clued her in.
Speaker 3: It's just bailed out Onney.
Speaker 1: Just get to Panga in a French maid.
Speaker 5: Out of it, do it.
Speaker 2: Phoene leans back into the doorway. It's not that I can't identify with two young people in love. I was young ones. I know that when love comes, you must seize it lest it slip away through the sands of time.
Speaker 3: I was young.
Speaker 2: Once the door finally opens and it is an extremely old couple looking extremely happy. Phoene is stunned it first, but then he lets out a little chuckle as soft piano music plays in the background. He says to himself, perhaps I still am. It would have been funny if he had the bartender on speed dial here. Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. You can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod Meets World Show at gmail dot com and we have.
Speaker 3: Merch commodity, material, product stock stuff, effects line number produce, second staple truck, Where's God? You're right? The Thesaurus World. It just sucks you in, my friend.
Speaker 2: Good podmeetsworldshow dot com. Please join us for our next episode recap, which will be season four episode fourteen Wheels, which originally aired January seventeenth, nineteen ninety seven. Will send us out.
Speaker 3: We love you all, pod dismissed. Podmets World is niheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong executive producers Jensencarp and Amy Sugarman executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbaksh producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show or email us at Podmeats Worldshow at gmail dot com