Speaker 1: I love the fact that you two went out and invested in better microphones because you knew you're gonna be on that podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, both of y'all got Speaking of recording, well, Donald handled it already.
Speaker 3: We handled it. We handled it already. You're late.
Speaker 2: Tell Zach was what the problem was? Though you sounded like ship.
Speaker 1: My housekeeper or my kids. Turned the volume all the way up to ten.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I'm gonna turn should I turned mine down to Dan?
Speaker 1: That would That's how Donald.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna blow out doing an Oprah voice or just going full Donald, back up.
Speaker 4: Good advice right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, if you're doing one of your classic Donald moments that's gonna make you go woozy, you might want to just back up from the mic.
Speaker 3: Listen. I'm in no mood to be.
Speaker 2: What you're trying to get into a day shoe. What you're trying to.
Speaker 3: Know, let's get into the podcast. How are you men?
Speaker 2: I'm good. I got a little headache. I think I think may have had one glass of wine too many that led to a what's called a headache.
Speaker 1: Donald, Really, I drank a little bit of beer last night and woke up with a little bit of a it's gone now, but it was like a little bit of a stuffy nose, like a little bit of a running nose. When I drink a lot of hops, Yes, when that gets it or wheat or whatever that is, Yes, I get a little bit of a running nose.
Speaker 3: I've noticed.
Speaker 2: Well, like I drink a little bit too much wine, I get what's called a headache.
Speaker 3: That's because of the sugar. Though I know we need to drink more water when you drink your wine.
Speaker 2: Of course you do, But I like it makes me happy. By the way, a lot of people were saying they do want to play the Bengo game. I told you I was wrong.
Speaker 3: I told you.
Speaker 2: So let's get some Bengo cards from that or you know, it would be good, Joelle, if we could get that guy's thing and then have it be easily downloadable for people.
Speaker 5: Oh, I could probably work on that, Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: They can play along. We might need.
Speaker 1: Different we need different Yeah, we need different Bingo cards. That's I'm trying to tell you.
Speaker 2: Well, who's going to do all that manual labor?
Speaker 6: Hi fans, If you would like to make Bingo card, it's available for free.
Speaker 5: You would have our never ending gratitude.
Speaker 6: We can't pay you, but we could our gratitude and our love and our respect and a.
Speaker 5: Shout out right here on the pod, I will shout out right.
Speaker 1: Not not only that, but if you live in the United States of America, we will ship to you.
Speaker 2: Right So, just you know, if you're in the mood, if you got the time, make yourself a fake Doctor's Real Friends Bingo cards so everyone can can play along and somehow Joel will figure out a way to make them available.
Speaker 5: Yes, we can do that. We can select.
Speaker 6: We can select a winner at random. So just making the card does not guarantee you some GT's kombucha. Just to clarify, I can.
Speaker 2: Pick one of you guys that Joel's doing the small print now, Joe, I think're supposed to say that like fast and low, like bank, your card is United States. It by the way, you are allowed to go to the UK. Donald you have to just quarantine alone for fourteen days. It's it's it's the uh because you know the UK left the EU, so you just can't. We're not allowed to go to Europe. I got it. Isn't that so embarrassing? But we're so bad at this that we've been banned from Europe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how it goes. Yeah, that's how it goes.
Speaker 2: We didn't exactly nail it.
Speaker 1: Now we missed. We missed by a lot.
Speaker 2: I saw this graph. I saw this graph that showed the first spike and then it said, uh, it was labeled naive, and then it showed the second spike, and it goes stupid like you can call the first spike naive, but the second spike is just stupidity.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, and I'm just talking about this because it's it's been the whole year so far, the whole year. But fucking put on a mask, guys, all of this bullshit about I don't need to wear a mask. Like I was watching the news and some dude actually said the same thing that they said in the beginning. Oh, it's just like the flu. If I get it, you know, my body could fight the infection. You know, I'm not afraid of this thing.
Speaker 3: He has no idea, no idea.
Speaker 1: Now granted, granted he was coming from Arizona and going to Florida, the two hotspots in the United States, but still, dude.
Speaker 2: I read in Wisconsin they're having a herd immunity festival where people that want to try and get it are all going to meet and go to this festival, so they think that they can get it and create some sort of herd immunity.
Speaker 3: But hasn't heard immunity proven not to work with this virus.
Speaker 2: Some people have caught it twice, Yeah, and not in and I think in Sweden they did a whole experiment where they weren't going to do it.
Speaker 3: Didn't work.
Speaker 2: It didn't work, no, and it didn't save them any dollars for their economy either. It has not been a success. How are you, Donald fase On? How's you know? The picture you posted of your daughter in the zach braftewl really is a beautiful shot. It put a tear to my eye because she's such a beautiful child and what a glorious towel. Anyway, how are you? How's life over at your house? How are things so different?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 2: You know you're still using the inflatable the kids over the inflatable thing he bought from the backyard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are. So. We started to do a little bit of golf. So you know.
Speaker 2: How I saw that picture of you and your kids all playing golf.
Speaker 1: You know how I love to play golf. So I took them to the driving range. And my daughter's really excited about it. She's gung ho about hitting balls with dad and she you know, she's she's picking it up. My son, however, would rather play video games. I made a mistake when I was when I was a few years ago. Well, last year, I introduced Rocko to video games, big mistake. Every word out of his mouth now now, granted, his vocabulary has grown.
Speaker 3: By leaps and bounds, but.
Speaker 1: Holy cow, man, if I got to hear about, you know, Minecraft and the inendermen and and and jewels and.
Speaker 3: All of that stuff, is.
Speaker 2: Minecraft is his favorite?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: No, he has three favorites. Well, now four it's Minecraft, Zelda, Breath of the Wild. I see, Joel loves Breath of the Wild.
Speaker 5: This is a child of taste.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, Star Wars battle Front, which is a first person shooter game but in the Star Wars universe, and the fourth one it just started happening, and it's like some I don't I don't remember the name, something like Castle something I don't know.
Speaker 3: Anyway, hold on, rock Out.
Speaker 6: We've never gotten a feature from we have one future. A while ago from Rock.
Speaker 5: It's been a minute.
Speaker 2: First cameo.
Speaker 5: I'm excited to hear what this lastness to. It can't be Castlevania, that's so violent.
Speaker 3: Castle Crashers.
Speaker 4: I thought it might be Castle Crashers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, wait, I don't know Castle Crashers. What is this?
Speaker 4: Four player co op? Very like low polygraphics. It's really fun.
Speaker 5: Yes, a living room game. I love it.
Speaker 2: It's a living room game.
Speaker 3: A game that everybody can play.
Speaker 4: A game you can play on your couch.
Speaker 2: Everybody can play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody in your house can sit on the couch and play a game.
Speaker 3: The game.
Speaker 1: Whereas Minecraft, you could play it with four players, but that's just tough.
Speaker 3: Or two players, I'm not sure. But uh, and I.
Speaker 2: Just got an Xbox One, So I think I'm gonna try and get into you.
Speaker 1: Get Castle Crashers if you're into if you know what you really listen, I know we the Switch, Get that dude, and get Zelda Breath of the Wild.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what he's playing on Switch.
Speaker 1: That's the one game he plays on Switch, and that that game alone is worth buying the Switch for.
Speaker 2: Okay, period. Well, I just got Xbox because I feel like I've reached the point in Quarantine where I'm gonna have to start doing some new stuff and get the switch. Dude, get into a video game.
Speaker 1: Get the switch, and get Zelda. I'm telling you right now, I'm suitching. Get Zelda Breath of the Wild.
Speaker 2: I just got an Xbox One. I'm sure I can find a game to play an Xbox One. Why are you telling me to get a whole different system?
Speaker 1: Because this I'm telling you right now, dude, if you want to play a game that's going to occupy your time and make your brain, do you know, think and stuff?
Speaker 3: Zelda Breath of the Wild? Am I wrong? Guys? Please if I'm wrong, tell me I'm wrong.
Speaker 4: You're certainly not wrong. It's a great game. There's also great games for I will.
Speaker 2: Now go I return the Xbox One because I cannot think of a game that I might like on Xbox One. Son to games and I like on Xbox One.
Speaker 3: I could think a game the back Pedal.
Speaker 5: I don't know what type of gamers that is, Like, what.
Speaker 3: Do you like in your video video games?
Speaker 2: I don't really play, but when we were making the TV show Scrubs, I would get into games, and the last game I remember being really into was Hitman.
Speaker 7: The first one, the first one, okay, all right, liked it because for me it was I liked the idea of like having to play a character and like go undercover and and like you'd feel your heart beating when they were starting to figure you out.
Speaker 2: And I really I really like that. I would.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we finished that game. I finished that game, that's how.
Speaker 2: But there's another one. There's been a second one that apparently is really good that I never played.
Speaker 4: Third one on the way.
Speaker 2: There's a third one on the way, so I think I might. I don't know what do you call that kind of game?
Speaker 5: That's what I like totally.
Speaker 6: I feel like you might be like an Elder Scrolls or like a sky Rim kind of guy.
Speaker 2: I don't like too much wizardy shit.
Speaker 5: When people red Elder Scrolls, get the f out of here.
Speaker 2: When people start like g t A, like g t A I, when people start throwing like wizard spells, I'm out. I don't like that. I like reality. I started to like that one. The Spider Man kid is playing uncharged. No, no, no, uncharged, uncharged.
Speaker 4: That's a good, great game series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I only problem it's for the PlayStation, so you can't get it on Xbox.
Speaker 2: Sorry. Also, there is a wild West one that's kind of a redemption.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, it's super worth. They get the second one Red Dead Redemption to throw it out their Assassin's Creed because I don't like that.
Speaker 3: I don't like those games.
Speaker 4: WOA.
Speaker 8: It's very similar to Hitman, very similar video game form.
Speaker 5: It is very similar.
Speaker 3: I just find it. It's weird that I don't. I don't. I just don't like the game. I don't know, that's just.
Speaker 4: That's totally funny, totally.
Speaker 6: Also, when Cyber seventy seven comes out, Zach, I feel like you really enjoy that game because you could create every aspect and I mean every aspect of your character, and then your choices determine the storyline. So there's not one linear storyline that every player will have. It's entirely based on your choices throughout the game. It's supposed to be really good. I'm very excited about it.
Speaker 2: I tried to get into GTA Donald because you were obsessed with it while we did Scrubs. But I just find it. I find it. I find it boring after a while.
Speaker 1: Well, then you might not like Red Dead redemption too, then if that's the way, because it's the same it's kind of the same thing as gtaemption was, like going around.
Speaker 3: We're about to get into our first fight.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about this because every game but I'm like, this shit is dope. You're like, yeah, right, and then every game that you're like, this shit is dope, I'm like, that shit sucks.
Speaker 2: Let's get into should No, we probably shouldn't because we should segue off video games because there might be listeners who are already bored as fun about us talking about video games.
Speaker 4: We can do this later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, think I should do a video game podcast.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: By the way, I saw a lot of a chatter about people really wanting a Donald Joelle Star Wars podcast, So I think you guys need a side hustle.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna agree with a starting Star Wars.
Speaker 2: You guys can just go off I want. You won't get stopped by me. You won't have me going I'm so bored. You guys can geek out about Star Wars.
Speaker 1: Forever wants to do a Star Wars podcast.
Speaker 3: We're down to be the hosts of it, aren't we.
Speaker 6: Joel absolutely absolutely, especially, I think Between the two of us, we probably know everybody who's either involved in like the creation and or talking about I know the talking heads from like star Wars dot com and you know people like that's be funny to do like interviews and talk about our favorite character.
Speaker 2: I can get you Deborah Chow, who directed a bunch of the Mandalorians and is directing the new OBI one series.
Speaker 5: Can I tell you? I will sob openly. I'm so obsessed with Deborah.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, get you your first mega guest, Deborah cho That would be.
Speaker 3: Our first episode.
Speaker 5: All right, let me bring it to the higher up. We'll discuss.
Speaker 2: I'm want to I want to cut, and I want to and I want to occasionally come on and be like this is so boring.
Speaker 1: You'll never We'll never have you on the podcast.
Speaker 2: Do you want to fucking count us in? Donald, Let's fucking start to.
Speaker 3: Count us in.
Speaker 1: But I also want to talk about the fact that our neighbor in New York City when we lived in New York.
Speaker 3: Yeah, went to Twitter, Amy Tan went to somebody hit.
Speaker 2: Her up and said is this story true? And she was like, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: She was like, I don't ever recall writing a letter to anyone, But I've had several people live sublet the place.
Speaker 3: So can you tell me the year? And I'm going to tell her the year.
Speaker 2: It would have been summer of two thousand and two, right.
Speaker 1: Either two thousand and two or two thousand. Well, we came out two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the she came on in one, so it would have been summer.
Speaker 3: Of summer two thousand and two. Summer.
Speaker 2: It was the it was the loft and soho and it was the one right above your loft, miss Tan, And we apologized. We were young, and we were partying and we were loud.
Speaker 9: And if it wasn't you, well we were told it was you, and we definitely got a letter that we assumed was from you, and then we also got told we also got told by whoever we rented from that we.
Speaker 2: Needed to shut the fuck up, yeah and keep it. And they kept our deposit too. I wrote a very angry letter about them keeping our deposit.
Speaker 3: I do remember that as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I was like, this is some bs, because we you know, the place had some problems. We loved it, but it had some problems. Yeah, if you ever rent a place and it's got all these problems, but you kind of suck it up and you're like whatever. Then they try and keep your deposit. You're like whoa, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 9: Whoa this way saying all that, now, talk about the fucking thirty five things.
Speaker 2: We looked and looked out the other way from like right, you know, like air conditioning.
Speaker 3: Right, Oh, it was so hot, like the.
Speaker 2: Fact that Donald didn't have a room, and and started calling himself Benson.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Six Night Stories, You're not show.
Speaker 2: We made about a bunch of dogs and nurses.
Speaker 10: And said, here's the stories.
Speaker 3: Yeada here, yea here.
Speaker 2: I love you. Your beard's looking nice, by the way, it's getting thrown and there's no gray in that thing.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of gray in it. Is just really I don't want to see it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: If I grow a beard now, it's too it's too gray. I don't like it. I feel that you have a lot of gray. Yeah, it makes me look too old. So I don't really do it anymore. Although I was seeing on the interwebs they have this this uh die you can put in your beard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then like if you put your face on a pillow and the pillows white.
Speaker 3: You gotta die all on the pillow.
Speaker 2: I don't think it comes off. Really it comes off? Hell yeah, man, oh you've tried it.
Speaker 3: No, I just think it comes off.
Speaker 2: Let's make up though. I think the die is more is more permanent.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Heather Locklear is in this episode. Donald, Oh, are you gonna sum it up for us?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I am gonna sum it up for Okay.
Speaker 2: This is a good episode, very funny and uh. Heather Lockleyer is the guest star. I think she does two episodes. Yes, and she she gets the classic gorgeous woman entrance and scrubs where she comes in the hallway and slow motion with the fan and uh, and she looks marvelous. But let's first hear a summary. Let me get my Stopwatch ready.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna be honest with you guys. This summary is really quick.
Speaker 2: Well, then you're gonna beat thirty seconds.
Speaker 1: I guess I'm gonna definitely beat thirty seconds this time around.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, let's you know, don't go because.
Speaker 1: This episode had so many things in it, but it all boils down to one thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, stop Watch, wait, but one second, I don't want you to get too cocky with your summaries. You have to really have.
Speaker 1: To stop watch ready and go all right, see this episode It all boils down to one thing when you really think about it. This episode's all about taking chances and the positive things that can happen when you exit your comfort zone. And it takes Elliott, J D, Carla and doctor Cox this whole episode to realize good things.
Speaker 3: Can happen when you step out of your comfort zone.
Speaker 2: That was very good. You know, I noticed you slowed down, so you were trying to make it fill the thirty seconds, right. You know you spoke at a very leisurely pace.
Speaker 3: Because this time there's not because there's feeling.
Speaker 2: The only thing you wanted to say was this episode's about taking chances. So you were like, go, this episode is about one thing.
Speaker 3: I got very I.
Speaker 1: Got very Bill Shatner with it, huh, this episode episode it's about.
Speaker 2: You know, do you remember remember when Chatner went on SNL and he was playing himself at a convention. At a convention, John Love, it is like, yes, I have a question in an episode three two seven, what is the combination of the safe And he goes, look, I just have to say one thing coming to all these conventions and I get all your letters and your fan mail. Life, I just have to say, get a life. He goes, it was a show. We did it years ago.
Speaker 3: Great, remember that great, great episode, and I remember.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering he must have gotten a lot of backlash from like the mart dude he is Listen.
Speaker 1: I've I've met William Shatner quite a few times, and he is a lovely man. He is very funny and does not take the Star Trek fandom serious like that seriously like that, like he's for real, like on some I played this role. I love the fact that everybody loves it, but that doesn't necessarily define who I am.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Really so, but so how are they? I wonder how those mega fans are with him, because a lot of people who are in megafandom pieces of content understandably and rightfully so embrace the fan base and and and do whatever they want.
Speaker 1: And he embraces it completely. He embraces it, and he doesn't come to him.
Speaker 2: He doesn't roll his eyes about it, or.
Speaker 1: I don't know that he rolls his eyes about it. And I don't know how he is with his fans. But when you talk to him about it, yeah, he's well aware. I was in Star Trek and it was a very popular show, and I, you know, I crushed it. That being said, you know he's a TJ Hooker with the Locker.
Speaker 2: By the way, we look at what good hosts we are, we're circling back to t J Hooker with uh with Shattner and have the lock have their Lockleayer. What an odd name for a show, TJ Hooker. For those of you who don't know, it was not about a hooker. It was about a cop, a cop, the bunch of cops. They were partners, right. I never saw an episode.
Speaker 3: I think she was on it.
Speaker 1: I think she This is how dope Heather Lockleier. She had such a long career, Oh my god, back in the day. I think she was on two hit shows at one time. And I don't know if they were on the same network, but I know she was doing two shows at one time and both of them were hits, and she was ratings gold well.
Speaker 2: She was on Dynasty, right, and she was on Melrose Place obviously.
Speaker 3: And she was on TJ Hooker.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it just seemed like if you wanted a ratings bump and you needed some you needed to bring the ratings up. You bring Heather Lockleer into the into the fold, and she just works wonders on.
Speaker 2: Well. She certainly is a very pretty human being, and I think she's.
Speaker 1: Also very very, very funny and talented.
Speaker 3: Man, it wasn't it was.
Speaker 2: She was on City, she was on Bill's show Spin City.
Speaker 1: It was also it's like the perfect storm of you know, of talent. She's very beautiful, she's very fund So you.
Speaker 2: Know she's coming on the program, right Joelle.
Speaker 5: Yes, we have her scheduled for the next episodes episode.
Speaker 2: The next episode, we're having her on Donald. How fancy is that?
Speaker 3: I love this.
Speaker 2: I mean I think I don't want to I don't want to let the fans down. I mean, you know, you never know what can happen in in the in the fast paced moving world of podcast booking guests. But uh, so far, so far, we have her.
Speaker 3: I'm very excited about it.
Speaker 2: She's she's I just wanted to say, and she's she's had such an interesting life. We gotta we gotta ask her, we gotta we gotta go deep with Heather.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna go. Are we gonna go deep? Are we gonna go Are we gonna go deep?
Speaker 3: Deep? Deep? Undercover? Like Eddie Murphy and Beverly Hills cap too.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not trying to like ask her personal questions, but I mean she's just had some can.
Speaker 3: Say, ask a personal question? Are we trying to go deep? Deep?
Speaker 2: Deep?
Speaker 3: Married?
Speaker 2: She she likes Rocker. She was married to Tommy Lee. She was married to Richie Sambora. Oh. She she had a relationship with Jack Wagner, my sister. May she rest in peace? And did she have a crush on Jack Wagner? You know who that is? Donald? Yeah, he's a great golfer Jack Wagner. No, but he's an actor.
Speaker 1: No, I know he's an actor, but he's also one of the best celebrity golfers.
Speaker 2: I think he also sings too. I think my sister used to love him so much. She used to listen to his music. Okay, No, I've got her things up here. She's gosh, she's been on so many shows. Her first job, it looks like, was on Chips as a teenager, Wow and TJ Hooker Dynasty, a show called Going Places, Melrose Place, Spins City. She was on a show called Lax in two thousand and fourty five, the melrose Place Reunion. Jeez, she works a lot.
Speaker 3: Well, it's hell Loclia. Dude.
Speaker 2: Hey, she was in Uptown Girls. Yeah, wow, I mean, just to just to show the audience how well we're dovetailing all this together. Uptown Girls is the movie Donald made when we were in New York, when Amy Tan got mad at us.
Speaker 3: That's exactly this is. This is turning out to be.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's almost like we planned it all.
Speaker 1: It's it does seem like it's like our fans right now, the people listening to this podcast right now are like, they're making this up, but we're not all true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's as though Donald. So anyway, we're gonna ask her about some of that. We gotta I mean, I don't I don't know what. We're gonna ask her about everything. We're gona asking about Shatner. We're gonna ask about melrose Place. Did you ever watch melrose Place?
Speaker 3: I mean I did not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't really aimed at us.
Speaker 3: I don't think no.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Andrew Shoe went to my high school. He was a very good soccer.
Speaker 3: Nobody cares.
Speaker 2: Zach I'm just telling you Andrew Shoe and and you know who his sister.
Speaker 3: Is, Elizabeth Shoe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, both went to Columbia High School in Maplewood, New Jersey.
Speaker 1: Now let me get this straight. Elizabeth Shoe Adventures in baby sitting Elizabeth Shoe. Yeah, she and my wife kind of look alike.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have the similar hair and similar chins too.
Speaker 2: You know who else went to my high school?
Speaker 3: No, Lauren Hill.
Speaker 11: Lauren Hill drumming my peg with his finger, singing in my life with his words.
Speaker 12: Killing me softly with his song, killing me softly with his song, telling my whole life with his words, killing me softly.
Speaker 2: I love her miseducation of Lauren Hill so much.
Speaker 3: With his song.
Speaker 1: That's that's you wouldn't know that, but that's trump call quest right there.
Speaker 2: But that was the Fuji. That song was off the Fuji's album. And but her solo album I loved so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah that that record is one of the best records ive ever made.
Speaker 2: I think I might agree with you to this day. She was at my bar Mitzvah and you know, we play a game at bar Mitzvah's. Well, at least the kids used to called coke and pepsi. And it's like a dance floor game, like you're on one side and your partners on the other end your coke and your partner's pepsi. And if they go coke, all the all the kids run over and they sit on your on your knee and they go pepsi and it's it's kind of like a musical chairs thing. The last person there is kicked off, kicked off, kicked off until there's only two left standing. Well, Lauren Hill was my coke and pepsi partner at my bar mitzvah. And that's the extent of the anecdote.
Speaker 3: Did you guys win?
Speaker 2: I don't think we want no Well, because I invited some jocks to my bar mitzvah, and I think they got really serious about it. And you know they were Lauren and I were like the two actors, you know, joking around. We weren't like really trying to win coke and pepsi?
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 1: Can you tell me what song you walked out to for your bar mitzvah and and and how you and and the high stepping that you did.
Speaker 2: So what happened was I entered my bar mitzvah. So what they said, Oh my god, this is so embarrassing. I love it though, it's so embarrassing. But you know what, no one's listening.
Speaker 3: It's just it's just horribles.
Speaker 2: So the theme was musical theater. Hell yes, so you know, for those of you who don't know, back in the day, I don't know if kids do the same, Moore, but back in the day, you're bar mitzvah had to have like a theme, and often kids would choose their sport because that's what you know. My theme is soccer, and like the centerpieces would be soccer balls and the cake would look like a soccer ball, and it was just you know that kind of thing. And uh so my theme is musical theater. And the the company that planned the party hired actors to dress up as famous characters from the music from different musicals, Like one guy was dressed as like a cat from Cats, when Gal was dressed as someone in Sunday in the Park with George with like a parasol. Someone was dressed as like lame is you know, someone on a barricade kind of thing. And and then so as I so, as I walked into the room, these people were standing as centerpieces in the middle of the tables, frozen as robots, and as I walked into the room, they band struck up Let's hear it for the Boy, and then the centerpieces all started moving at like robolike like robotic figures to the rhythm of let's hear it for the.
Speaker 1: Boy, and you high stepped into the and you high stepped into your bock metzvah.
Speaker 2: Yes, let's hear it for the boy, and the crowd went wild, and I and all the different robotic people moved like robots to let's hear it for the boy.
Speaker 3: Maybe he's no Romeo, but he's.
Speaker 2: My love and one man show Ooo.
Speaker 3: Whoo, Let's hear it for the boy.
Speaker 2: And I remember that my friend, I remember that, my friend Don Boom, my friend Roger Heller. He noticed that the guy playing in one of the cats from Musical Cats was distracted doing his robot dance till let's hear for the boy, And so he took his spoon and he tied the guy's tail around a bunch a bunch of a bunch of silverware. So when the poor guy when the number was over, and the guy was like taking his bow and got down off the table. He was clanking silver that Roger had tied to his tail, like like a like a car that had cans tied to it. Just married. Oh my god, oh my god, it was so embarrassing.
Speaker 3: That's hilarious. Let's take a break.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after these fine words.
Speaker 3: Let's get into the episode, all right.
Speaker 2: Heather Locklear comes in. Now. I don't know if you know this, Donald, or if our listeners know this, but I find that not everyone knows this. This is a real thing that the pharmacuy. Absolutely they send out. They're often beautiful women, so I assume handsome men as well, but more often than not, they're beautiful women. And their job is to convince doctors to prescribe their drug, and they'll they still do tons of shady stuff. I think some of it's been attempted to be curbs because it was out of control. I knew girls in my high school that would do this right out of high school, like their first job or right out of college. Their first job was going to do this. And you and if you're ever in a doctor's office and you see someone come in and they're all kind of dolled up and they're pulling a little roly bag that's often a pharmaceutical rep and you'll be frustrated when you see them go in the office before you and you're like, oh, I've been waiting here and now I have to wait for her to go schmooze the doctor. And they always have. That's why the doctor always has all this swag that we joke about in the episode and the tea shirts, but that's the least of it. They keep track of how much the doctor is prescribing the drug, and if you prescribe it a certain amount, they like can win vacations and trips, and they take them to lunch and they buy them expensive just like this dinner that's in this episode, and they they schmooze the nurses too, so they like, oh, I brought sushi, I brought cupcakes, and it's all this like it's like, Paola, it's like this super shady aspect of the pharmaceutical world. Not that there needs to be more shady aspects, but it's something that really really happens, and it's really really fucked up, I think because they're basically like incentivizing the doctors to prescribe their drug or recommend it right.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: In this episode, this drug that she's pushing actually works very well. The only problem that Cox has with it is that they've marked it up so high. It's sort of like epipins. Epipins work great everybody. If you have allergies to anything and you can and you go into anaphylactic shock because of your allergies or because of said allergies, an EpiPen can help save your life. The problem with EpiPens are they're so expensive, and even the generic brand is so expensive and very hard to come by.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, of course, and the marking up of drugs is a whole other thing. You can That's why people drive across the border to go to Canada where they don't mark the drugs up like that. And I mean they have, like literally have bus trips where they'll where a bunch of seniors will get on a bus and go to Canada to buy their drugs for a more affordable price and then come back to this country. But let's not go around a giant tangent like that, because we can make a whole podcast about how fucked up that shit is. But anyway, this app episode is about a pharmaceutical rep coming to bribe everyone with pens and swag and free steak.
Speaker 3: All sexiness and sexiness and.
Speaker 2: Of course sexiness, which is something that is a part of it. I mean, I imagine in my brain some of this has been curbed. But back in the day, it was all about like flirting. I mean, all the girls that I knew that did this were attractive women, and they would say, yeah, part of it is like, you know, gentle flirting to get the doctors to uh, to prescribe their drugs. And then they would have this girl once showed me. She's like, you don't believe the data we have on these on these doctors, like what they're prescribing, how many times they prescribed our drug when they didn't prescribe our drug and uh, and they get her they do all this sort of shady stuff, like they put them certain doctors on retainer. Oh, you're a consultant with our pharmaceutical company, which is basically just fucking shady Paola, to make sure they're prescribing it. And when it's not a when it's not an addictive drug, it's like, okay, that's one little shady now cut to it when it's an opioid and they're fucking prescribing oxy conton and making everyone addicts. I highly recommend this book called Dope Sick if you want to read about this. It's about how the pharmacy industry, particularly Purdue Pharma, got into basically turning in so many people into opioid addicts because of the over prescription of oxyconton. And I just finished this book and it's amazing, and I think Michael Keaton is going to make it into a mini series. But don't wait for that. Read the book Dope Sick.
Speaker 1: The episode starts off with people getting hurt. This kid's gotten hurt, got hurt, and you watched him get hurt on video.
Speaker 2: Yes, I gotta be honest with you.
Speaker 1: I watch a lot of crazy shit because I enjoy watching people get hurt. But then it turns, it turns, you know sometimes like sometimes it's like, wow, that was funny. He fell and hurt himself, he busted his ass. But then the things that you can see on the internet on like Instagram, now some of these things you're like, I don't want to watch that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: This is harmless. Him crushing his nuts on a rail.
Speaker 2: Do you do you WinCE when you watch someone get their nuts hurt?
Speaker 1: I feel a pain in my in my in my in my genitals. Whenever I see anyone get hurt. It's like a It's a quick pain.
Speaker 2: I don't know if women understand this, And not to say that it doesn't hurt when they hurt their groins, but but men have a physical just reaction when you see someone hurt their nuts where you you kind I kind of grab mine if I'm alone and I'm allowed to, and just make sure that they're okay.
Speaker 1: No, I I have this happens to me if I see anyone get hurt. Ever, dude, ever, if anyone I'm.
Speaker 2: Talking particularly a testicle moment like this at Tennis episode he's he lands on a on a railing's skateboarding and he lands on the railing on his nuts.
Speaker 3: It depends on how to watch.
Speaker 1: It depends on how unsuspected it is, you know what I mean, Like we knew watching this that the kid's gonna crush his nuts, so I didn't necessarily flinch as hard as if I were watching something and out of nowhere, somebody gets pummeled in the in the in the balls. That's when I'm like, oh my god, and I and I flinch and I feel that sharp pain in my testes from it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I I I crutched. I clutched my balls. When I saw this kid fall over and over and over.
Speaker 3: Again, I thought that she was hilarious.
Speaker 2: Now when she walks in and does her slow motion sexy walking, you cut to a fantasy and it's me and Deontay Gordon, who's Donald stand and who's often in the background, is next to me, and he's wearing puka shells.
Speaker 3: Did you notice that I did. Do you remember when Deontay used to wear poka shells?
Speaker 2: No, but that's hilarious. I mean, I haven't seen someone wear pooka shells since I was a child, and I didn't really notice that Deontay was walking around the scrub set we're wearing puka shells.
Speaker 3: This was also twenty years ago, Bud, but.
Speaker 2: Still pooka shells were not in in two thousand and two.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they were, because no, they were not.
Speaker 2: No. I think it is like.
Speaker 3: A choker too. It's not like it's choking him.
Speaker 2: It's like you know what you know, like the women have this style a few years ago where they're all wearing the tight chokers around their neck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what was the purpose of that? Can we what was?
Speaker 2: What was?
Speaker 5: Hookers look awesome? There's no they look awesome.
Speaker 6: All the time in Victorian times when they were hitting in the eighties and the nineties.
Speaker 5: Now chokers, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It just looks weird to have a black ribbon around your neck.
Speaker 5: Are you ready to fall off? Take them off?
Speaker 2: Well they're gone again, Joel. Right, the fad was strong for a couple of years. Now I feel like it's gone again.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: The punk princesses are colder on strong. I love them rock on girls. Uh yeah, not seeing it on like Vogue anymore or anything like that though.
Speaker 13: No.
Speaker 6: And I would say Poka Shells, yes, early two thousands because the OC was around and those.
Speaker 2: Oh maybe Deontay was inspired by the OC.
Speaker 1: Deontays from California. Deontay went to school in OC type of high school entire situation. Yeah, man, so he wanted to be and then he went to I think Deontay went to like uc Anna Barbera or something like that. One of the party schools. You see one of those you see party schools.
Speaker 2: Well, all I know is it's a very funny sight watching Deontay wearing a Pukas Shell choker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hilarious. And then the corpse sitting up because of how hot Heather.
Speaker 2: That was funny, and she rubs his she rubs his head through the body bag and then I give a little like that's a gift. I see a lot. Is that moment where where she like blows a kiss and I do a little I do a little like kiss to her.
Speaker 3: Is that a? Is that a? Is that a?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I'm gonna send you that gift after we get off the podcast. It's a funny one. But yeah, so Deontay and Puka Shell's his face is really funny too. If you guys are watching this, go to go around two o six and you'll see this moment. It's really really funny.
Speaker 3: And then threesome talk.
Speaker 2: Carla is very into a threesome if it's with Heather Locklear, right, but she's kind of talking smack because she doesn't know that you're going to go and try and she says she's like, oh, you know, yeah, it's with someone like her, I'll do it. And then she doesn't know that you're like, ew when you go try and you gotta try and chat Heather up right. The new title sequences back, and I saw on wiki scrubs wiki that it's the last time it's ever seen, So for those of you who love it and liked it, this is the last episode it's ever seen, and then it's retired forever.
Speaker 1: I thought that there's another change to the title at some point where it just goes Superman, I'm no Superman.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Eventually, what happens every season, they kept cutting the amount of showback to put in more advertiser time, and so then it became like, well, we don't have time for all of this whole title sequence. So then it was just like I'm no Superman.
Speaker 3: And that was it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Actually, another thing I read on scrubs Wiki, interestingly, was that this episode when it first aired was a super sized one, so it was ten minutes longer. Remember the NBC at the time was doing super sized episodes.
Speaker 3: Right, so they still do that.
Speaker 2: Well, there's ten minutes of the show that aren't on the one I watched that were on when it aired, so god knows what those ten minutes were.
Speaker 3: Oh, so there's show missing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean I watched it on iTunes. You watched on Hulu. Yeah, well it was. If it was I think it was twenty four minutes or something. But but there's a thirty four minute version of this episode somewhere. I wonder if that's on the DVDs or not. Probably is that, I don't know. I like when I try and hit on her at three thirty three, I'm like, she goes, I'm Julie. I go, were you named after a jewel? E? He's so bad at hitting on women, this guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well he's a you know, he's a.
Speaker 2: Nerd.
Speaker 1: He's yeah, he's this is the it's so charming though, you know, a front nerd.
Speaker 2: He does get some pretty amazing women.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's so charming.
Speaker 2: He's charming. He's a charming he's charming, and he's a doctor and he's goofy.
Speaker 3: I'd like to double her and Tandre.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again in the spirit of flirting, she's like, come grab a pen and they're like all right above her breast. Yeah, you know, it's all about like, you know, one by one, she's worked. She works Kelso, she works doctor Cox, she's working.
Speaker 3: She works.
Speaker 2: You with the steak that you eat makes you sick works?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh man, have you ever had a turf and turf night? We go steak night? We used to go steak night all the time.
Speaker 2: We used to legitimately go steak night. But now I'm a pescatarian.
Speaker 1: But this is where steak Knight. This is where steak Knight kind of started. This is where we learned turk loves steak.
Speaker 2: Yes, you really love steak. Turf and turf.
Speaker 3: Turf and turf? Do you know to this episode?
Speaker 1: I had no idea what surf and turf mint?
Speaker 2: That's when you have a lobster with you? Or does it any fish or just lobster?
Speaker 3: I believe it's any any fish, anything in the sea.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then does that mean it could be any food that eats grass?
Speaker 2: Good question. I assumed it was always a steak.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I grew up kosher, so I never had lobster and and and stuff like that shellfish until I was like fourteen fifteen years old.
Speaker 1: Do you want to tell them that story? Which one after your bought mitzvah?
Speaker 2: Oh my bar mitzvah, uh bot mitzvahs for a girl bar mitzvah. Well, my father made us kosher when we were kids. And after my bar mitzvah, after I successfully uh became a man in the eyes of the Jewish faith my dad. I said to my father like, well, if I'm a man, I I really don't want to be kosher anymore, and I'd like to make that decision for myself. And he was kind of his mind was kind of blown, like I Jedi mind trigged him and he was like okay, and I was like, I couldn't believe it worked. Uh. And then from that moment on, I was no longer kosher. But he said outside of the house, because like.
Speaker 1: I would be to say, there was no way you were bringing like a lobster home for the supermarket.
Speaker 2: No no. If I just sit down on the table started eating like a baky double cheese.
Speaker 3: You guys eat your food.
Speaker 2: No, no, no no. But his rule was outside of the house, you can eat whatever you want. Also, my parents had gotten divorced and my mom was now you know, living with my stepfather and they weren't kosher. So it was a confusing time for for us as kids, Like come on, guys, you guys got to get on a unified front here, like what the hell are we allowed to eat? You know, and and so that's kind of part of it too. You know, we never we never had any kind of shellfish or any pork or any dairy mixed with meat. And then it was such a bizarre rule like if you, let's say, you had meat for dinner, you would have to wait an hour till you could have ice cream. Why that's part of being the kosher rules, Like.
Speaker 3: There is there a specific reason on why that's.
Speaker 2: Well, back in the day it was it was theory about health and eating things that wouldn't make you sick, you know, back in like biblical times. But now it's just tradition. So you know, you always was like sitting there being like, oh my God, how long has it been? Forty five minutes? Do you think God? Do you think God is going to be pissed if I have the ice cream? Like fifteen early? But you know, it's just like any you.
Speaker 3: Say shit like that when you were a kid to your parents.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, are you kidding me? I was afraid of my dad. I wasn't saying anything like that, but I mean, I in my mind, I was thinking like this is crazy. Even as a kid, like, this is crazy. God does not care about this. That's how I felt. That's how I felt.
Speaker 1: Donald right, so good, So let's go back to I'd like to double her on Tondra.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Todd, Yeah, I'd like to double her on Tndra.
Speaker 1: That might be I still use that shit to this day. It's a double on Tondre. I'd like to double her on.
Speaker 2: It's not as good as are you going to turn everything into sexual innuendo in your endo in your windo? Yeah, that Todd is pretty funny in this episode, although it's a little creepy that he's planning to hide out and watch you have sex with Judy.
Speaker 1: No, he was in the breakroom. He was in the room sleeping already. He wasn't hiding out, he was already in there.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was under the impression that he was. He was like, he was like he figured out that you guys were gonna have sex, and so he was like hanging out in the top bunk.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, he went into that. He went in there to be the Todd and do whatever the time. That's a good ask, Rob question, how come how come the Todd is always in the breakroom when something something's about to when something something's about to jump off.
Speaker 2: That Todd does take a lot of naps, I have to say he does. Right there. There's an episode where Todd says, sometimes when I'm banging this mattress, I'm thinking about banging that one the one underneath. So we know that Todd likes to hump the mattresses in the breakroom, right, So I think we should ask Rob why is Todd always in the breakroom alone?
Speaker 14: Well, between all the surgical enhancements and rejuvenations, the Todd needs a little cat napp to cut down on recovery time between operating sessions. I've been told I'm a bit of a sleep humper. Though, sometimes when I'm banging the top mattress, I'm thinking about banging the bottom one.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you Rob, Thank you Rob. And just to give Rob a plug. If you guys want, you can hire them on Cameo, go on that app and you can you can have you can hire Rob to say anything pretty much yeah within reason right, and you can send your friends a Rob video of him saying funny stuff.
Speaker 1: These are great ideas for birthday presence if you have friends that are die hard Scrubs fan and fans and love the Todd. Here's a way for you to get the Todd to deliver some sort of five and a funny anecdote.
Speaker 2: So and and you know, I haven't really been on the cameo too much, but I like the idea of hiring people. I like to say funny things. Donald and I are not on there, but we want you to put all of your scrubs love in to Rob get robbed to say funny things. I think I might hire Rob to send you a message Donald, okay, yeah sure, yeah, So maybe with you, I should hire a basketball player because they have a lot of sports athletes on there, and I and I could get you one.
Speaker 1: If you could get anyone to send me a message, I would love a message from Tracy Morgan.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he's I bet he's not a chemi. He's got a zillion dollars now, especially duds as a settlement.
Speaker 1: I'm bron if you could get Tracy Morgan to hit me up as Brian Fellows, you did it once in your life.
Speaker 3: You had Tracy Morgan.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, I did.
Speaker 1: Because you know I'm a huge Tracy Morgan fan. Right, and you know how much. I love Brian fell I'm Brian Fellows.
Speaker 2: Right, and it was just after.
Speaker 1: I think one of the best Tracy Morgan said Night Lives is when Britney Spears hosted.
Speaker 2: That made no sense, but it was so funny.
Speaker 1: But he's so funny on that episode Anyway, Rob Mashio's on cameo, guys, we're.
Speaker 2: Going to break let me right. Uh. I love how Rob seems to write out his thing. Like I thought he was just gonna, like, you know, just answer it, but it seems very prepared, and he writes them out and uh, he runs the line, He puts his time in, he runs his line.
Speaker 3: Runs his line.
Speaker 6: Their guests here, Daniel, Yes, they are, yeah already Yeah, bring in.
Speaker 2: The guests, Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 3: Give it up for devil. How are you man?
Speaker 10: I'm doing well? What about yourself?
Speaker 3: You know, making it happen like everybody else?
Speaker 2: Try killing chilling like a villain. Donald, Don't you say that chilling?
Speaker 3: Ever say chilling like a villain? You fucking tool.
Speaker 2: Devin. Do you see how I'm addressed? Do you see how I'm how I'm talking.
Speaker 1: To Well, you made the dumbest remark and said, do you say, chilling like a villain, Donald, what a buck.
Speaker 3: Says chilling like a villain?
Speaker 2: Devin? Do you follow sports in basketball in particular at all?
Speaker 3: I do? Yes?
Speaker 2: And who's your favorite team?
Speaker 10: I'm a Dallas Mavericks fan.
Speaker 1: Oh, say you're lucky man, you've won a ring. You guys stole Poisekas from us?
Speaker 3: Are you calling out? Are you? Are you coming from Dallas right now? Are you hitting us up from Dallas right now? I'm not.
Speaker 13: Actually, I'm one of those weird Dallas Mavericks fans. I'm originally from Pennsylvania and I'm in Virginia now. I became a Dallas Mavericks fan because Dirk I lost a bet in junior high school and so I had to take German as my foreign language and I ended up sticking with it and I majored in it in college. But my dad wasn't a big basketball fan. He was a big baseball guy, and so I kind of have free rain to pick my team. And I always loved picking, you know, underdogs, and the MAVs kind of had, you know, pretty good squads leading up to that championship team, but nothing fully came together up until twenty eleven. And so I picked Dirk and I Mark Cuban seems like a pretty cool guy.
Speaker 10: Hard like a lot of what he's doing.
Speaker 2: I like Mark Cuban. Yeah, I don't know anything about sports, but I like Mark Cuban. Devin, do you have a question for us about anything? If he does not say about Scrubs, it could be about anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, I prepared a couple.
Speaker 13: I'm lucky enough to know John Putch, who directed a couple of episodes I think starting at the tail end.
Speaker 10: Of season five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great guy.
Speaker 13: He grew up in the same town I did, and frequent in the restaurant my mom owned. He actually filmed one of his movies partially in that restaurant, and I got to be an extra. So I got to meet him through that. And I know you both have talked a lot about what different directors brought, especially in the early couple of episodes episodes. So for someone like John, you know where end of season five, you guys, I think had already done one hundred and twenty ish episodes, give or take. What was it like, you know, coming in as a new director. How and you know, Zach you kind of you got to direct your own couple of episodes for a show that kind of had its voice, it had its style, how did you balance that.
Speaker 10: With your own personal styles?
Speaker 2: That's a good question. Someone like that is in a tough place because they're coming into a machine five seasons in that's so well oiled. You know, we really all we crank them out. You know, by the time you come to five seasons, everybody knows what they're doing, everybody knows their characters, and a director that's coming in brand new, they just got to make sure that they that they go with the flow that you still want to A director like John would still want to come in and add his own spin and add his own flare and come up with cool shots and have suggestions, but you don't want them coming in and trying to change the style at all and going in and doing something out of the norm. Well, someone like him would really have to know the show, really have watched a lot of episodes. A lot of times what they'll do is come and hang out on the set and watch somebody else direct, so they just kind of no only gives you a chance to meet everyone and kind of shoot the shit a bit, but also you get the sense of, like everyone's vibe like, ooh, I see that Johnny c doesn't like to do more than that many takes. I'm gonna just make a mental note of that. And oh, I see that Donald never knows his lines. Okay, good, let me memorize that. So you kind of kind of come to the set and get the feel of everything. So then when you when you when you all of a sudden, because like I said before, it's such a bizarre job to be like, hey, everyone, nice to meet you. I know you guys have been working together for five years. I'm the boss this week.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's such a weird, a weird way to create stuff, but it is kind of how it works.
Speaker 1: A little trivia for you. Do you know who John puchess mother is.
Speaker 2: John Puch's mother is Jeene Stapleton, who was Edith Bunker on the classic show All in the Family.
Speaker 5: Was What a Days and you knew who you were?
Speaker 2: I can't hit that note.
Speaker 3: And girls from.
Speaker 2: Happy Hoover again, Herbert Hoover again, I didn't know no more about everybody pulled his way. G r old lassal worked great. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, sorry for your ears. She was a fantastic actress and John Punch's mother. A little bit of trivia for you.
Speaker 1: I'll say this, when John came in, it felt like he was already. He really blended in very well with us. Yeah, and I think that's why he came back for.
Speaker 2: He was also very fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was another thing he was. He was he totally like he got the show and he got us. Also, Zach, have you have you guys ever worked together other than.
Speaker 2: We text sometimes and we shoot the shit. He listens to the podcast, So, Hi, John, thank you for listening to John. And we'll have him on. I told him we'll have him on when the when the time comes, I would love to have him if we really keep this thing going for five.
Speaker 1: He's directed so much television as well. We had Michael Spiller on who's directed quite a bit of television. John Putch is another person who is you know, yeah, who who is a well seasoned director.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know what he's directing now, I'll look it up.
Speaker 3: Well, nobody's directing anything right now.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm saying pre Quaran Tizzle.
Speaker 10: He's doing some I think it was American Housewife, I believe.
Speaker 3: Oh great, Yeah. Dietrich Bader that guy.
Speaker 2: You have another question for us?
Speaker 13: Yeah, absolutely, So. I think Scrubs means a lot to me because it was one of the first times I saw a show reflect a part of me that isn't just very outward facing. I grew up and I had epilepsy, and there's an episode where doctor Cox treats a patient who has epilepsy, and I believe that the see is she doesn't want to take her medicine or isn't taking her medicine because she she struggles with letting the epilepsy define her and prevent her from being a normal teenage girl. And I was younger than her when I was dealing a lot with it. But it was the first time I really remember seeing a part of myself on a TV show and feeling like, wow, that's, you know, very core to my identity. So for for both of you, when was the first time you know, either of you saw yourself reflected in that way?
Speaker 2: If ever, good question you go first? Donald, Do you mean I mean you mean in television shows when we were growing up or is that what you mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I mean it could be growing up, It could have you know, been a while, and it could be more present day whatever, well.
Speaker 3: I was, I looked at it.
Speaker 1: I looked at okay, so I look at it a little bit different. I didn't see myself in a lot of in a lot of television growing up, mainly because there weren't a lot of African American people on television. I mean, so seeing somebody who was like me was very hard to come by.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: People said I looked like Todd Bridges when I was a kid, but I had nothing in common really with what Willis and Arnold.
Speaker 3: Went through in different strokes.
Speaker 1: It wasn't until a different world came out and I was in I was. I guess it was my freshman year in high school and Dwayne Wayne, Dwayne Wayne came on television, played by Kadem Hardison, and he was the one that had the flip up glasses and he was so in love with Denise from The Cosby Show Lisa Bonnett. He was so in love with that character, and I felt like, that's who I'm that guy's he had a bunch of energy. He was really charismatic, and girls looked at him not necessarily as the hot guy, they looked at him as the friend. And I was drawn to Dwayne Wayne, so and so that I bought the glasses.
Speaker 2: You did you wear the flip up? Guys?
Speaker 1: I would wear the flip up? Now, remember I went to the professional children's school. So there's me and maybe three other black kids and the four of the black kids in the school or in the upper school at the time, in the high school at the time, and so.
Speaker 2: Are you all wearing them?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 3: Well, I would wear the glasses.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure these guys were like this motherfucker came up in here with the fucking Dwayne Wayne.
Speaker 2: It's a funnier story if they're all if you're all four of you walking around.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyway, So Dwayne Wayne Kadeem Hardison when he showed up, he had such an impact on my life because I felt like I was looking at myself that he was. At one point, he was one of my favorite actors in the world. So if he was in a movie like White Men Can't Jump, Vampire in Brooklyn School Days, the list goes on. He was in quite a few things when I was younger, I would gravitate towards his character as the best characters character in those projects.
Speaker 2: I was really drawn to Anthony Michael Hall. I was just thinking. You know, everything he played when he was young was how I felt. I felt like this sort of nerdy kid who you know, who could make people laugh and was you know, I made friends by being a class clown, you know, and so a lot of the parts, whether it was you know, Weird Science or sixteen Candles or Breakfast Club, I really related to him in those movies. I really wanted to be Ferris Bueller more than anything. Like when I saw Ferris Bueller's Day Off, I was like, man, I wish I was that cool, Like I wanted to be Ferris and John cusack in say Anything, I wanted to be him.
Speaker 1: All of those movies are big parts of my are big parts of my youth. Yeah you say anything, freaking sixteen Candles, Weird Science, you know, the list goes on.
Speaker 3: All those John Hughes movies were huge for me.
Speaker 1: The only problem I had with them was that there were no black people in it, right, you know what I mean? But those movies like you know a lot of the music that a lot of the songs, I didn't even know all of the words to the songs, but I knew, you know, when Lloyd did you should uh what's what's the song that he did?
Speaker 3: Stop? Wait a minute, I knew, yeah, is that what that is?
Speaker 1: You should let me know. No, that's a little that's a Mario. These just step and these just ain't words that I'm spinning.
Speaker 3: I knew that he sampled. Uh, Papa, I know this must be true right now much is true?
Speaker 11: And he goes ba ba, she's fun b ah want you and I and nobody knew what that ship was from. But because of my love of all of these John Hughes movies and stuff, I knew where they simple.
Speaker 5: Huh, it's called you. It's from two thousand and six.
Speaker 1: Another one, another one, Jake, Uh, do you have another one? Do you have another one?
Speaker 2: Another one?
Speaker 3: Another one?
Speaker 13: I do have another one. So Zach got a lot of flak for having not seen Remember the Titans up until a couple of weeks ago. So I've been thinking a lot about some of Zach's filmography. Don I know you have some kids. Have you seen Chicken Little?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 10: Okay, I went, did you really?
Speaker 2: A lot of people will be surprised, devon. They don't know that I'm the voice of Chicken Little.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing, Devin, you can name pretty much any movie Zach's been in.
Speaker 3: I've seen it.
Speaker 2: That's not true.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's the one you did with Michael Weston?
Speaker 2: And uh the Last Kiss? You like that one?
Speaker 1: No, there's another one that you two did together, way before you were.
Speaker 2: Ever getting to know you.
Speaker 1: Who was the other? Who was the Yes, she was in that? I've seen that movie.
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 1: He also he also did a movie called The Broken Hearts Club.
Speaker 2: Yep, broken heart in that movie?
Speaker 3: Seen that movie?
Speaker 1: He also did? Uh like we could go down his whole resume. I promise you, I've seen everything. I didn't read Garden State, but I'm not a strong reader.
Speaker 3: I did read. I did, I did, I did.
Speaker 2: Did you see Going in Style?
Speaker 3: What? Yes, I've seen.
Speaker 2: You didn't watch Going in Style?
Speaker 1: For real, I've watched go I've now watched Going in Style. I did not see it in the theaters though.
Speaker 2: Oh that's fucked up, dude, No it's not.
Speaker 3: It's the truth. Though.
Speaker 2: My first big studio movie I directed and you didn't go see it.
Speaker 1: No, your first big movie you directed was Garden State.
Speaker 2: No, I'm saying my first it was my first and only so far studio movie I've directed it, and I directed these three living legends. You couldn't fucking find the time to go to the theater.
Speaker 3: See this is what I'm talking about, Devin.
Speaker 2: You just started some fucking beef.
Speaker 3: I've seen the movie though, because.
Speaker 2: You fucking rented it. I mean, if you're if you're my best friend, you're still taking the cad.
Speaker 3: Do you want me to start naming my movies and what movies you?
Speaker 4: I know?
Speaker 2: Your movie?
Speaker 1: To shut the fuck up with this crap, dude, nobody wants to hear I'm blowing out the mic. That's how loud I'm getting right now. Let me turn it down a little bit. Do you want to start this ship? Do you really want to start this ship? Do you want to start this shit about how I'm not seen going in style in theaters. I can name movie after movie after movie that I've been in that you've never seen.
Speaker 5: In your life.
Speaker 2: I've seen them. I saw Juice in the theater. No you did it, Yes, I.
Speaker 3: You did it. You did not see Juice in the theater.
Speaker 2: I did. I did, although it's cheating. It was in a screening room at the drawback of Film Center. I was an intern there and they invited me to see Juice, and I quite liked it.
Speaker 1: You're full of shit, dude. You know I know you're full of shit. I was in high school. I was a freshman. I was ninth grade when Juice came out.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I shut the fuck up.
Speaker 2: Can I defend myself? I was thinking. I was thinking of Fresh? Are you in Fresh?
Speaker 3: I'm not in Fresh?
Speaker 2: Oh? Fresh is good? Have you guys seen Fresh? It's a very underrated movie.
Speaker 3: Dude, Fresh is very good?
Speaker 1: Directed well as Yaquin, who also directed Remember the Titans?
Speaker 2: Have you never seen that? Joelle? Have you seen Fresh? Very good? I want our listeners to go.
Speaker 1: Directed by bo As Yaquin, who also directed Remember the Titans?
Speaker 2: Now? Is that bo as his first film? I think it may have been.
Speaker 3: I think Price Above Rubies was his first. It's one of those. It's either that one of I think one of those.
Speaker 2: He's really a talented guy.
Speaker 3: He's very talented.
Speaker 2: What has he made lately? Has he made anything lately?
Speaker 1: That He's written a lot of the Hostels, He wrote a lot of The Dusk Till Dawns Like.
Speaker 2: He He's changed up a little bit here.
Speaker 3: He switched it up a little bit. He's more comic book.
Speaker 2: Uh got it? Horror Now, well, Devin, thank you for starting this fight. We've got to get sorry.
Speaker 3: I know you had good intentions and you were trying to make me. You were trying to throw me under the bus, you know what.
Speaker 1: I know what you were trying to do, but you fucked up, Devin.
Speaker 2: Devin, I was I was gonna send you a message from from one of those guys, but now you don't get I don't even know what their names are, but you were gonna get one from from.
Speaker 3: No GTS Kombucha for you.
Speaker 2: No No GT's he's been he's been banned, all right, But thank you for coming on.
Speaker 10: We thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Donald. You know, want to laugh at this whole bit with you giving Judy a bus pass? Then I say that was very funny, did I say, not just a nurse?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 1: I love I love the fact that that's where Turk is. He's that invested in his relationship that he's like, I know my girlfriend could be doing so much better than she is right now, and if I'm in the way, I want to get out of the way and help her achieve what it is that she wants to achieve, and you know, being Turk, he just says it wrong. You know, I don't want you. I want you to feel like more than just a nurse, just a nurse. Did I say just a nurse?
Speaker 2: Well, he means as well, he means well, but he keeps putting his foot in his mouth and she's like, you know, and she's saying, I love my job, I love what I do. Why why are people making I'm sure a lot of nurses, I would imagine, feel this, like it's such an honor to be a nurse. It's so hard to become a nurse. And someone's like saying, you know, it's something with the attitude of you're just a nurse. They're like, what, how fucking dare you? Do you see? You know, see Carla's like, do you see the pride that I have in what I do?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And I really liked that. I thought she was she was really good in this episode.
Speaker 3: Oh she crushes well she you know, Judy crushes every episode.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: Elliot acknowledges JD's staring off into space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she did.
Speaker 3: This episode.
Speaker 2: There's a funny moment where she says, you're always starting off to space. And I start to and then I go, I don't stare off in the space like this, and then I go right into staring off in the space.
Speaker 3: That was fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's but uh yeah, I mean I don't how does how does one get away with daydreaming in front of someone when they're talking like you're doing well.
Speaker 2: It's exaggerated for this show, but you know we were all doing that. How many times you talking to someone you see them staring off and and and then you go hello, like you kind of wave your hand in front of their face, like I mean, I.
Speaker 1: Do it to my wife all the time, where my wife is talking to me and I'm just not there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she'll be like, did you hear what I said? And I'll be like yeah.
Speaker 1: She'll be like, repeat what I said, and not just repeat what the last thing I remember her.
Speaker 2: Saying, right, but you were still zoned out.
Speaker 3: I was not there listening.
Speaker 2: I laughed out loud when Kelso goes, it's not because I got the name Johnny tattooed on my butt. He's an old sailor buddy, And if you knew what we went through, you'd understand. Yeah, we should talk about the bungee jumping thing, which we've mentioned on this podcast before, but two things I noticed this time. That you can clearly see that Sarah and I are safety lines to the bridge and aren't going anywhere from this bungee jump right now. If you pause it, you'll see that there's a stock line that ties us to the bridge, so we're not going to accidentally fall off. And then you can also see my mic right right under my collar. There's a big there's a there's a big puffy thing that's my microphone. So there's two a little annoying wiki scrubs wiki things. Yeah, and so we didn't do this jump, and the two stunt people who did it met this day and then got married. They fell in love in this moment when they jumped off the bridge together.
Speaker 3: And are no longer married now.
Speaker 2: And now now we learn the sad part of the story that they got divorced, but you know, it is pretty romantic that they met this way at least married for a little while.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you know, I just to go back a little bit. I really thought that was really great of Elliott. You know, she's always being rescued in these shows by you. You're always you know what I mean. And this is the one time where I told you so backfires on you. And and and yeah, she definitely, you know, razes you a little bit for it, but in the end she's such a good friend. She's like, you know, we all need to take It's just like I was saying from the beginning when I did when I did the recap. We all need to take chances, is what Elliot's saying. And here's one that here's one that's perfect for us. This is gonna scare the shit out of you. We're gonna jump off of a bridge together, but I'll be there with you.
Speaker 2: I think that's I think it's an important life lesson that the show tells people is the importance of not just sitting on the stands, of getting on the court, as they say, and participating and playing big. And these are a lot of life lessons my father used to give me about being brave and making bold choices and swinging for the fences and asking the question you're positive someone's gonna say no to, but like just going for it, putting yourself out there over and over and over again, and reaping the rewards when when you very often get good results from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and j D's not of that, you know. When we start off JD. JD is a let's wait and see type of person.
Speaker 3: And uh, it's true.
Speaker 1: You know, let's wait and see only gets you to seeing what happened. It doesn't necessarily make it so that you're in control of anything that happens.
Speaker 2: And certainly not nothing exciting and new is gonna happen that way. Nothing that's going to change your life is gonna You can't just sit back and wait for life to happen to you. You have to.
Speaker 3: Seize the day.
Speaker 2: Car carbe dim as they as they say in Dead Poets Society, sez the day.
Speaker 3: Oh captain, my captain.
Speaker 2: I wanted to point out lastly that I was surprised to know this far in it's very clear that Cox is still pining for Carlo. You think so, Oh yeah, dude, he doesn't go with Heather Locklear's character, even though Heather Locklear is literally hitting on him and he's single and she's single, and she's sitting provocatively on the front of his car, and he doesn't go with her. And then and then you see him kind of staring at Judy and being like, you know, I think it's pretty clear to me. And my interpretation was that he's still sort of pining over her, and when she talks about her love for you, then he then has a second thought about it.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I think I disagree.
Speaker 1: I think he I'm sure there are still feelings for Carla.
Speaker 3: Cox still has feelings for Carla, but I think he's put.
Speaker 1: Him aside, because even at the dinner when she's like, I love the fact that I'm at this dinner right now.
Speaker 3: My boyfriend's trying to eat his weight and meat.
Speaker 1: He's bought his best friend with him this, you know, and doctor Cox wants something that's not on the menu. He wants to eat something that's not on the menu, something like that, and she's talking about heathern Then he turns around and he's like what he's because he wasn't paying attention. He was staring at Heather Locklear's character.
Speaker 2: No, I don't. That wasn't my interpretation. My interpretation is that he's Uh. He goes and has a heart to heart with her. In when you're lying on the bed because your stomach hurts in the hospital, they have like a bit of a heart to heart and you're talking about how much you she's talking about how much she loves you, and then he yeah, but look he looks sad for a minute, like like if you look at twenty two thirty seven, he's got this sad look on his face that to me reads I really need to let this go. This woman's in love with Turk. I don't know why I'm still pining for her. Fuck it, I'm gonna go meet Heather at the bar and maybe have a one night stay on who knows, but but I have to start moving on.
Speaker 3: I didn't see it as that.
Speaker 1: I saw it as a friend who and not we could dead this after this. But I saw it as a friend who listened to what was said. Turk went ahead and tried to get her involved in a program that would grant her more power at the hospital, and Cox is like, dude, why don't you fucking take your boyfriend up on that offer? That's you'd crush that shit. You'd be really good at it, And she's like, of course i'd be good at it. I know i'd be good at it. I'm the you know, I take pride in my job and the time that would be needed for me to crush all of this would be time away from Turk, and I don't want to.
Speaker 3: I don't want time away from Turk.
Speaker 2: Well, it's up for interpretation. And if you're listening to this you probably have your own opinion, or if you don't remember, you can go back and check it out. That's it. Thank you for listening, everybody. Uh, don't forget to get the ring tones, because everybody needs a ring tone. Everyone needs Donald going mmmmm as your notification.
Speaker 3: That right there is what i'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Yes, another one, That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm talking about. The another one.
Speaker 2: We could just Donald and I could just make up notification ideas for people's phones all day long.
Speaker 3: We should put this out there. Do you want? That's what I'm talking about. As a ring tone I can get.
Speaker 1: That's what i'm talking about. And you know what I mean as a ring tone? You know what I imagine your phone going.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean. You know what I mean. You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: We're just gonna keep putting on ringtones.
Speaker 1: You know, well, imagine your phone going. That's what I'm talking about. That's what I'm talking about. That's what I'm talking about Okay, how could that not get annoying?
Speaker 2: Yeah, annoying in a good way. Thank you everybody for listening. Uh, we love you, We appreciate you. You can try and ask a question by emailing Joel at scrubs iHeart at gmail dot com. Joel is very popular on there. I imagine Joel, people try and try and bribe you, like the pharmaceutical reps. They say, let me buy you sushi had.
Speaker 5: Three proposals, so it's very popping.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well the last time you had sushi. Speaking of sushi, I had sushi two nights ago.
Speaker 3: Y'all don't like y'all like warm sushi.
Speaker 2: It doesn't come No, it doesn't come warm.
Speaker 3: Daniel, you agree with this.
Speaker 8: I mean, I'll say this. I'm very lucky. I I should probably. I live very close to a sugarfish, so I'm.
Speaker 4: More or less walking distance.
Speaker 3: So you could just get that box.
Speaker 2: Just get that box, that box, all right, guys, We love you. Be safe, wear a mask, be kind, Donald Count of sin Count, Donald Count of South.
Speaker 7: Stories.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure we made about a bunch of dogs and.
Speaker 7: Nurses and.
Speaker 3: Said he's a story nets
Speaker 12: So yetta here yea here up