Speaker 1: On paper and what you've seen in the last six weeks. Yeah, it looks really talented. But whether or not there's some consistency for the course of the season remains.
Speaker 2: To be seen.
Speaker 3: You've got gott Yes, I got writer for the Seattle Times, Ryan Divish. We're just all charged up today because we're covering two of the three most frustrating fan bases in Major League Baseball right now, or frustrating organizations, not fan bases. But Ryan, how you doing, man.
Speaker 1: I'm good, I'm good. We haven't talked to in Haver, Montana. Getting ready to go to spring training tomorrow. It's minus twenty five.
Speaker 4: Yere, stop it are you serious?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You must have in your house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have the fire going. It's it's not what you want right now.
Speaker 5: Wait, how far is again? I've never Okay, so there's I've been almost everywhere. I've never been to Montana. How far is where you live to Seattle?
Speaker 2: It's about twelve hours. So I live here.
Speaker 1: I live in Montana in the off season, and then I go back to Seattle during the season. I got to get away from the traffic and everything, so I come back to Montana. I live my hometown's got about seven thousand people.
Speaker 6: Opposed to like Billings and Great Falls and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Is that I'm about an hour and a half from Great Falls.
Speaker 1: Billings is about four hours, and then we're about twenty five miles from the Canadian border.
Speaker 2: Scenic Medicine Hat is on the other side.
Speaker 4: M Do you moose stuff? Because I've always wanted to do that. Do you moose hunt and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: I don't hunt anymore because I technically still have a Washington driver's license, so it's been pretty expensive. But my buddies moose hunt, elk hunt, They do all that stuff. I mean, there's deer in our in the in the town walking around all the time that are pretty big, I know, like Seeger and all those guys come up here to hunt all the time, and they tell me how great it is.
Speaker 2: But I don't get to do that anymore.
Speaker 1: I'll go out with my cousins or my buddies right in the truck and then help them drag the animal out, which is not exactly the ideal either.
Speaker 5: That's the worst job in the world. That's the job you don't want. You don't want that job.
Speaker 6: That's how you get arms like that though. That's how you get arms like that. Would you rather stay home or go to spring training? Because everybody wants to go where it's warmer. I have a feeling you would love to stay in Montana.
Speaker 4: But tell me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: No, I'm ready for I'm ready for something warmer. Spring training is a grind though, man like it is. It's every day and and but I'm looking forward to it. It's it's really easy this year with the Mariners. I know all the players on the team. They didn't add anybody new, so I don't have to you know, I don't know if it's all easy.
Speaker 3: I just had the joke I was ready to go, and then I only haven't one. I have nothing else to say. You know, all the players are ready. So let's before we even dig in.
Speaker 5: I just got to no, you know, I got asked before we even hit the storylines, and I think one of them this isn't even in there. But they're world series winner. That's why they didn't add anybody. We heard the GM say it their world series ready Ryan.
Speaker 3: So now with the storylines, well, let's yeah, let's hit it because I want to ask him about it. So here's the fancy front end four storylines at least just broke. We'll get right to the big stuff at the top and with the Ems eventually deal a starter for a bat. Obviously they haven't done it up to this point. Let's make spring summer for Julio Rodriguez and see if he can figure out the beginning of the season. And also for this Seattle team, we'll get to their flashy outfield, which they've done a nice job building up. Randy roserain of trade last year, picked up Victor Roeblaze, signed him to an extension. He was good for them down the stretch. And then the classic fifty four chance, will they tilt towards the top of that number or the bottom where you just miss the postseason, which has been a pretty sexy thing for the front office to do lately.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go.
Speaker 3: Teams broke, and they fixed it by bringing back the same team. Polanco signs back Solano for Josh Rojas, and there's your Mariners.
Speaker 1: Of your thoughts, it was less active than I thought. I figured they would do something more than they did. I think their intention was to do something more than they did. But when you only have fifteen million dollars of payroll, and you you know, payroll flexibility, you just don't have a lot to do.
Speaker 2: They looked at.
Speaker 1: Signing Carlos Santana. They felt like he would be great fit at first base, kind of a platoon with Luke Rayley, good leader in the clubhouse, he's a he's been a pretty good mentor for Julio Rodriguez. But you know, the poll of going back to Cleveland, which not many people say in their lives, but the poll of going back to Cleveland, to the place where it started his career was more important for Carlos than maybe a little bit more money and a second year. So they kind of pivoted went to Donovan Solana, who is a nice pickup, Don't get me wrong. He's a nice pickup if you have a finished product as a team. But when you have questions at second base, third base, first base, that's just not enough. Now they go out and get planco, you know, bring him back there, hoping for a bounce back. But I mean, Jerry Depoto was kind of hamstrung with the minimum amount of payroll flexibility provided by ownership, and you know, they really didn't find any trades for their prospects. I think they felt like they were going to be able to move some of their prospects to get a major league hitter. It just didn't happen, because, you know, more teams believe they can compete than ever before. So you really only have the White Sox and Marlins as teams that are selling off pieces. Obviously the Rockies should be, but they don't even know what they're doing. So you've got maybe three teams that were in a position where they might value prospects over major league talent. But all the major league talent on those two teams is gone. So they just couldn't find a way to make a trade work and for their prospects. And with fifteen million dollars, I mean, that doesn't buy you a lot. You know, it's like going to It's like going to a convenience store with a dollar. What does it buy you anymore?
Speaker 6: Maybe like a half a Snicker's bar or something, maybe a water like the generic water.
Speaker 2: Can Julio.
Speaker 6: Can Julio start hot? Because if he starts hot, like right alligate April, right away, he could be an MVP.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's important. He doesn't even have to start out hot. He just has to start off something better than he's beenning like each of the last three years. I mean the first year, he was a rookie, so you cut him some slack, and he had a bunch of calls, kind of a lot of call third strikes on him that didn't go his way. You know, we'd written stories about kind of the rookie treatment with the strikes on. But the last two years he's come in with the intention of starting off hot and didn't. And I think you know, once you you know, you get through the first week and you haven't done maybe what you were expecting. Then you start to chase, and you start to chase and it just builds. And really last year it was more than just April and May. It was almost through the All Star break. You in twenty twenty three, he was a little bit better after June, and then he got really hot in July, and then August was absurd. But it took him so long to get going last year. You know that it's a problem. They have to find a way. I think he's in a better spot to handle it. I think he's in a better spot mentally physically. I think you know, what he did in the last six weeks of the season with the influence of Edgar Martinez getting them to refocus on driving the ball up the middle and to the right center gap and kind of getting away from you know, trying to yank the ball over the wall in.
Speaker 2: The field was big. You know.
Speaker 1: Increase the contact rate, and he makes such hard contact when he does hit it. Increase the contact rate a little bit more and good things will happen. His approach was better with two strikes, His approach was better with runners in scoring position. I think that'll carry over. You know, last year he made some swing changes in the offseason that didn't help, and he couldn't get his rhythm and timing down early and all those things. And really, you know, you can talk about what they didn't did or do didn't or did do in the.
Speaker 2: Offseason, which wasn't much.
Speaker 1: But if the team's going to be good, it's going to be based on whether or not Julio goes. Because when he's going, even at an above average rate, not even at his elite level, they're a lot different team.
Speaker 4: Agreed.
Speaker 5: Do you know why, I he'll be better because they have Kevin Sitz there's a new hitting coach. And he hates home runs, so he's gonna definitely tell him to hit singles right and not hit home runs.
Speaker 4: Trust me, I know, I played for him for two years. Huge fan, I think.
Speaker 2: But if he hits the ball.
Speaker 1: The thing with Julio is when he hits the ball hard to write field, it's a gap. Usually it's not a single, you know, like and you know how it is with some of these hitters. They're going to listen to what they want to listen to, and they're going to do what they want to do. I mean, I think Bram Brown figured that out last year when he got with his team and tried to implement some stuff and they just some of the guys were resistant to it. But I do think, like for Julio, there was a bottoming out point last season where everything he had done and everything he had done on his own and the work he had done in the off season just wasn't working. And you hit that rock bottom point as a superstar and you struggle more than you ever have in your career, you start listening to maybe the right people, and I think with Edgar, just the idea of hit the ball hard up the middle, use the field, you know, and hit it hard and don't focus on where you're hitting it hard to I.
Speaker 2: Think is really important. And really Edgar is still the overriding He's the director of their hitting.
Speaker 1: I mean, they don't call him an offensive coordinator like they did with Brent Brown, but he's the director of their hitting philosophy. So I think you know, you'll see Edgar working with the guys that want to work with him, and then Sites is going to have to work with the rest of the.
Speaker 2: Guys as well.
Speaker 4: Got it all right?
Speaker 5: So what about the rest of the outfield? Can can Edgar and siteser get Rose Arena to be less streaky? Because when he's hot, he's like he's I mean, he's the hottest guy on the planet. But then when he's not, I mean he's there's a lot of strikeouts and a lot of people are standing there going, man, he's striking out a lot, right. But then you have Victor Roblaz, who came over last year and was a revelation for him. So is this outfield good enough with a good Julio, a Rose Arena and Roblaze to make these Mariners good?
Speaker 1: It certainly has the potential to be better than it's been. I mean, like you look up from an athleticism standpoint, you know, Randy had twenty bags last year stolen I Robos had over thirty. Who had over thirty. Like they can run the bases, they can go get it in the outfield. Randy can be a little indifferent in the outfield.
Speaker 2: But you are concerned.
Speaker 1: I mean, like the concern is this is like if you look at Randy's numbers, they've steadily trended lower each year, and you know, and that was you know, even when you're hitting in the AL East, which is a heck of a lot more hitter friendly than the AO West, So there is some concern there. You know, the swinging mis numbers are a little bit higher. And Roboa is, i mean for six hundred games of his MLB career was kind of a disappointment. And then he gets to Seattle and at the new start, and I think under Scott's service is you know, the previous manager kind of let him just be who he is. You know, I think Davey Martinez got tired of who Victor Roblaz was for much of his time in DC, but like Service kind of let him go and he flourished, but is he going to be the guy that hit three thirty for sixty some games or is he going to be the guy that was like a two twenty seven hitter with LOWBP and lots of base running mistakes and all that stuff that he was with DC. So I think that's there's a lot of questions about whether or not this outfield is good. Like on paper and what you've seen in the last six weeks, it looks really talented, but you know, whether or not there's some consistency for the course of a season remains to be seen.
Speaker 6: Obviously, we talk about fifty four chance of making the playoffs every year.
Speaker 4: It can't it can't not be brought up.
Speaker 6: But how much wider is this window open with this elite rotation, the best rotation in baseball? And are they going to take advantage of it after they missed the wild card by one game one game last year, all that down that they had and they missed it by one game with a rotation that could dominate the entire playoffs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I mean, like you look at it and you wonder if they've gotten that much better, But you also think, well, is Mitch Garver going to be as bad as he was last year, or is JP Crawford going to be as bad as he was last year? You know, those guys really struggled and so maybe the bounce back will help them get over the top. But also those guys that rotation, they made more starts than any team in baseball, Like you know that group of five guys, you know, they they all made more starts, their rotation, pitched more innings than any rotation in baseball, and they only use seven starters. You know, you in an era where very few guys go two hunt stars, these guys all were up there at that level. And you know what you wonder is will they be able to sustain that sort of consistency and that sort of health for an entire season. Again, you know, George Kirby, Logan Gilbert did not miss to start, Bryce Miller did not miss the start.
Speaker 2: Brian wu had.
Speaker 1: Some hamstring issue and some elbow stuff early, and Luis Castillo had a hamstring issue. I mean, like they only used two other starters, Emerson Hancock and Jonathan Diaz. Like that just doesn't happen in Major League baseball anymore. But you know, if that were the case, if they were able to kind of maintain that. Then I think the other pieces, you know, if they have bounced back from the offense, and I think the big thing is they're bullpen getting better, getting Matt Brash back, getting a healthy Gregory Santos.
Speaker 2: I think that makes them better than maybe a year ago.
Speaker 4: Right before, I ask you last question, who's cooking behind you? What are they making? Because I'm kind of hungry.
Speaker 1: Uh, my girlfriend's daughter is home from school, so she's making chicken strips.
Speaker 2: I hope she's making me some sitter.
Speaker 5: That sounds like that sounds like she's cleaning up, but hopefully she has some good sauce for you.
Speaker 4: All Right, I.
Speaker 5: Gotta ask you this, since we haven't really talked to you about this. They got rid of Scott Service you mentioned him, brought in Dan Wilson. What's he going to bring to the table. I know we saw him down the stretch and they played a little bit better down the stretch to get close to the wildcard. What's a full year or two of Dan Wilson going to look like in the Marritor's dugout.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I didn't think it looked that much different last year in those last six weeks. I mean, like, you know, he's people sat there and said, oh, well, he wants to butt more, they want to steal more. I think that was just reflective of the situations in the game. I do think like his belief and his belief and better two strike approach was more important. Maybe that's what transitions more. He's definitely a player's manager. I think last year he was very cautious in terms of what he wanted to say or what he wanted to do because he likes Scott's service and he didn't want to kind of trash him and you know, and he also didn't want to make a lot of ways. He just kind of wanted to see what they could do in those last six weeks and see if they could piece it together. But these guys this year, I think we'll see a little bit more. I think Dan, you know, we'll kind of step forward and be a little bit more vocal. I do know, like if you could recall last year, a Rose Arena had an incident.
Speaker 2: I can't remember which team.
Speaker 1: It was just kind of you know, how he takes pitches and some of the he got hit by a pitch and some stuff, and there's some gawing back and forth. I watched Dan Wilson pull him aside and have a very frank conversation with him about kind of how you handle things on the field and you know, not getting putting your teammates in a bad position to maybe get take one in the back. And I think stuff like that. We may see a little bit more. But from an overall scheme standpoint or philosophy standpoint, other than being better with two strikes, which I know Scott servis preached too, I don't think we'll see a lot because it's especially the same roster. I mean, they can't really can't really set it up to play any differently than before. Maybe the pieces are a little healthier and they can run more, or maybe the pieces are a little healthier and they won't platoon as much. But from the from the overall standpoint, I mean the GM and ostensibly Jerry Depoto, they control so much of how the team is set up and how the team is going to play that you know the manager is there to make sure that the culture and everything else is in a good place.
Speaker 2: Akay.
Speaker 3: The lineup is set every day by the front office. This is not one of those maybe this is here's the lineup. Put it up on the card.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm not going there. It's like fifty four percent jokes.
Speaker 1: The next the first funny The next funny one I hear will be the first funny one. But like now, those are always funny, Ryan, this is modern, but modern baseball anymore is so different about the lineup and lineup instruction. But like you know, they are set up to have the platoon. They are set up. It's at several positions. I know a lot of people hate that, but that's where their talent level is and that's how they're playing. It is kind of strange to me that in so many ways for a team that has a market and a fan base and a popularity as much as it does, that they try and operate like the Rays in terms of cost cutting and overall philosophy when they could be something more than that. Nobody's asking them to be the Dodgers, and nobody says they have to be the Mets. But there is a different area that they can get to, a next level tier that they could get to in terms of investment into this team, I just think is lacking and until that thinking changes and winning and making the postseason becomes more than a spoken priority.
Speaker 2: I don't see it changing from that point.
Speaker 1: And I don't even know that a fan base reacting negatively and not showing up would change it either.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they got to be in on the Japanese guys, Ryan, how are they not in on?
Speaker 4: How are they not in on those guys?
Speaker 5: I mean I was there when the euro came over right in Sazakiki, right, the splitter, this closer guy came Kassazaki right, I mean I was there for those guys. That place was insane when it was right, I mean, Ja, they already were in on all the Japanese guys. Now they don't even bother.
Speaker 2: It's like, why, well they tried with Roki.
Speaker 1: They didn't get an interview, they didn't get the second interview after their presentation, So like, I mean, I that's kind.
Speaker 2: Of where they're at.
Speaker 1: I mean, the perception of the organization isn't great right now because they aren't winning. And like, if you're a hitter, you certainly don't want to go there because you hear about the horror stories of hitting there in April and May and in late September, and when you don't win, and you don't do all these things, and you're far from a lot of where a lot of places ball players live. You've got to do something to change that perception, or you have to pay more to get these guys to come here. And I don't think that these guys are willing to do that when they were when they were willing. You know, people can say what they want about the Robinson Cano contract, but for the first five years of that deal, he was pretty good. He lived up to the billing, and they you know, I remember remember when they signed Nelson Cruz to a four year deal for I think fifty eight million. Nobody else was willing to give Nelson Cruz that fourth year because oh he's getting older and this and that.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what he produced. He paid.
Speaker 1: You know, they paid the extra money to get him in there, and he produced. That's the mindset that they're going to have to have. I remember when the Nationals went out and everybody said it was an overpay for Jason Worth, and they said it was more than just the production number and the value that he would bring, you know, And was that much later that they were playing in the playoffs consistently, and they eventually got a ring, so I think you know, the investment into the team. There's different ways to do it, but at some point, like the overall mindset has to be more about winning and what.
Speaker 2: It takes to win. It's one thing to say it, but it's another thing to show it, and they've done very little to show that they're interested in winning at the highest levels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there have been so many corner infield bats available on the market and they are just losing fans in droves right now. Do not look at replies on social media from Mariners fans for a playoff team. They are really trying their best not to get people to come to the ballpark despite having a good product. Anyway, Ryan, thanks for joining us, dude, always great to have you. Appreciate you and save travels Arizona soon.
Speaker 6: Man