Speaker 1: Three one zero, all engine running.
Speaker 2: Let's up. We have a little welcome back to the UFO show, Dan, mysterious music of the abyss the Unknown. Mm hmmm mm hmm. I am ty he is Dan, this is the solid verbal. It is our Friday Orbit show. The you currently in discussion. We could talk about that momentarily.
Speaker 1: Dan Rubenstein is over there in the beautiful capital of the Midwest, Chicago, Illinois.
Speaker 2: Daniel, how are you? I'm good.
Speaker 1: We probably should have discussed this sooner, and we're going to get into news in a moment before we get into our I guess figuring out what you was going to stand for and what our actual Friday Orbit is today, because I guess people already know based on the.
Speaker 2: Title of the show.
Speaker 1: But do you are you intrigued by aliens? I know you're into space. I know you're into space travel. I know you're into fuel for space travel, and I know you're into Star Wars, which is more of a cartoonish Western look at space. But are you into aliens? Are you into extra terrestrials? I'm not even just talking alien ships, I guess though that's a sidebar. But are you into all things alien? Into all things aliens. You and Tom DeLong share that passion.
Speaker 2: Okay, share that passion. Yes, I had not been abducted the way Tom claims to have been, but all in on aliens. Yes.
Speaker 1: Do you go out of your way for alien movies or do you feel like that cheapens? What aliens might be?
Speaker 2: Alien movies? Yes? Not the alien movies. Did you like what was?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 2: Was a rival?
Speaker 1: I think with Amy Adams?
Speaker 2: Not bad? I liked it, not that not bad, signs not quite for me, mostly for me, but the end not for me. I could go for a good alien movie pretty much all the time. Yeah, it's movies, And this is I guess another broader discussion. Maybe we have this on our Patreon.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. What about a movie like ten Cloverfield Lane, which people seemed online to not like, but I watched it on a planet. I love the hell out of it. Not bad, not bad. You know, I'm mixed. I like a good slow burn, Yeah I do. I think I thought both Arrival and ten Cloverfield Lane were slow burn alien movies.
Speaker 2: I am with you on Arrival. We can talk about ties favorite alien movies a little later on, if you'd like to mind of course by Independence Day.
Speaker 1: I like the idea, and we can talk about Patreon in a little bit. But I like the idea that we are going to be making so much in the way of new stuff and experimenting with new stuff to see what people like without inundating the masses with them, just the people who truly have good taste. That we could just do a once a month film show we.
Speaker 2: Could, or once a month alien show. I'm down with that too.
Speaker 1: We not just do a once a month alien show, we could do alien film show. That's just maybe we can probably get DeLong.
Speaker 2: I mean, what's he doing. He's not doing it.
Speaker 1: I think I might have a couple of connections to him. I think I might through my old pop punk days. I think I might have some DeLonge. I'd love to have them on pop punk days. I say that as if I played bass for Motion City soundtrack. Not the case, I assure you not. Wish I had would have been fun lived that Minneapolis lifestyle. But in any case, we should What do you want to talk about? You want to talk about news? Do you want to talk about Let's do news's let's do the UFO show, and then let's talk show stuff.
Speaker 2: Let's do our news, okay, our book news. What do we got?
Speaker 1: Dan uh Les Miles has the COVID. Oh Dan more outspoken people about if you're opting out, you're opting into COVID. I don't know what that means about.
Speaker 2: Very weird comment. Yeah, I don't know what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know what that means about what he has done or not done. So hope he recovers quickly. I saw the GM, the GM, the AD. Gosh, Ti, I haven't even had the beer on our bruin a yet.
Speaker 2: I'm working on number one right now. I'm actually good for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just have the t. The Kansas AD mentioned if he remains symptom free, that he could be available to coach on the seventeenth of October, So not next week, but next week.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: Otherwise, I saw that the SEC has been very vocal to its programs and coaches and members saying, hey, we've been doing a good job thus far, and but we're seeing people maybe taking their foot off the gas in terms of public health. To call and here's the fine situation. One hundred grand if you what if it's one hundred grand if they find a violation going up against the school's payout and then one hundred grand each subsequent one. So the SEC, I think drawing a line in the sand in terms of, hey, follow what we're saying here because we want football, and I think I commend them for that.
Speaker 2: I commend them for it. And you know, the SEC, I think all long, Dan has actually done a pretty good job communicating where they're at. We talked about that all throughout the summertime when a lot of this was kind of up in the air. They were pretty outspoken about where they were. They were going to let the doctors and the experts guide what they did as a conference. Obviously, they held on even after the Big Ten decided to pull the plug. And so far, at least, you know, we've had cases crop up here and there, and by no means is this fully under control just as a society, but at least from a college football standpoint, they do seem to be able to manage it to some extent. And you know, I think we're grateful for any football we get. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, I did another radio show, a really good radio show where they're like, Okay, what do you think about the college football playoff and the Pac twel I'm like, I'm just hoping Saturday goes great. I just hoping Saturday goes really well. Yeah, So that's where I'm at. Yeah, I tend to agree with you. The SEC has done a good job. They've been very communicative, they've been very vocal, and they've they've laid out their expectations and whether it's you know, practice protocol, whether it's facility protocol, coaches on the sidelines, because that is a very public facing position. What coaches do is influential. So hopeful that it's a meaningful communicate.
Speaker 2: Is that a word? Sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah, with the SEC programs. Otherwise, I did see Miszoo is now hosting the LSU matchup this week because of Hurricane Delta concerns. Okay, So here is the solid verbals official stance. Okay, and also, screw you Hurricane Delta. We hope you're a far weaker than what is presumed. So hopefully that goes off without a hitch, and we are we're thinking of everybody in that region and hope everybody is able to remain damage free.
Speaker 2: That's under Is that a take, That's not a take, that's just being a human. So yeah, I'm with you. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: U Mass and Georgia Southern are now scheduled for next Saturday. U Mass, of course, had canceled their season and is now booking opponents. It appears that book gaps have opponents through like a form on UMass dot edu. How they do it's a Google doc. It's a Google doc and not all of the fields are mandatory. So that I mean anytime, as you know, disappointing as U Mass is twenty nineteen season was guys go to UMass to play college football. They want to play, and they see other teams playing and if there everybody's able to practice the safety protocol that I'm happy for those dudes. This is going to happen that those U Mass players get to play.
Speaker 2: A huge wrench in my U Mass Georgia Southern party that I planned. But I will I will suffice. Why does it?
Speaker 1: How does it throw a wrench in your plans they're playing?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Moving on, what do you even talking about?
Speaker 1: You were very tired. It's been a long day, Dan, Yeah, it's okay. Moving along. What other news is interesting to you?
Speaker 2: Ty? Anything? I'm excited about this week? College football? It's not news. It shouldn't be news to anybody if you've listened to the show. Right, just a lot of really good matchups that I think are going to actually help answer the question that we're going to talk about on this show tonight on O our UFL show. You know, we at this early juncture in the season. It still feels early, It still feels premature to really have a fully baked take on where teams stand in their respective conferences. And I feel like there are enough high profile matchups this week that we're going to get another interesting data point, let's say, on where team's rank relative to one another. Again, we don't have the cross pollination this year of conferences playing one another to really get that barometer where does one team stand in the Big twelve versus the SEC, versus the ACC versus eventually the Big ten in the Pac twelve. Now we're actually going to have just a little bit more data that we can go on in lieu of what might otherwise be a fun non conference late. So I'm excited to start talking about the games this week.
Speaker 1: What do you think about given today's game? And you can play this sound if you'd like right now.
Speaker 2: Inders, Yeah, Indus, you made this what was your how would you describe your state of mind making this sound.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about aliens, and then I thought about Space Invaders, and then I started looking up eight bit Royalty free space music, and nothing really did it for me because that seems too cartoonish and childlike, even though we love eight bit music. And then I found some free ambient spacey music, and then I wanted to keep the Invader theme because that's it goes along with how we're discussing it and tying it to college football. And you know what I thought about a little bit while making this. If you want the true inspiration, the behind the music, the meaning of life, do you know what?
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 1: If you heard of Del the Funky Homo Sapien in Deltron thirty thirty, a futuristic rap experiment from like two thousand and two.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to pretend I know anything about what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: It's a fun listen Deltron thirty thirty. I'm looking it's there was an album. It's like a high concept. I don't know how to explain it, but it's really good and it was a right around the turn of the century, and that was my inspiration all right, does that make sense? So okay, this is what we mean by alien invaders, and Ty, you can tell me if my proposed you make sense, which team from the Power five conferences, and we can go beyond them as well, that has not won that Power five conference in the last three years has the best chance to ready for the you you surp, you surp, you surping Friday Orbit, you surp control away from the team or teams that have controlled the top of that conference. So in the case of the Big Twelve, it's anybody but Oklahoma who has won the conference these last three years. The case of the Big Ten, anybody but Ohio State, in the case of the ACC, anybody but Clemson. Obviously, the SEC we have Georgia, LSU, Alabama, and the Pac twelve has Washington, Utah, Oregon, So those are a little bit more wide open. But those other conferences have more to choose from. So who poses that threat to invade the turf of the team or teams that have won that conference recently?
Speaker 2: Since you're talking about invaders, Dan, and you also mentioned to me before we hit the record button that Jody with and I walked into the room as you were putting this sound together and just looked at you with a quizzical stare.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know it goes both ways. Tie because she has zoom calls, so she's like business on top and sweatpants. So we look at each other various scants most of the day, does Jody with and I have a business voice.
Speaker 2: I'm told that I have a business voice that I use that it's it's not the broadcast voice. It's not the normal thie voice. It's the business voice.
Speaker 1: She absolutely does, and it's hilarious to me.
Speaker 2: So we're talking about usurping, usurping previous champions on our usurp. It's tough to say usurping, Hm Friday Orbit. Shall we start course? Shall we start in the SEC? Since let's do it we were singing their praises earlier. The last three SEC champions have been LSU, Alabama, and Georgia. So if we're keeping with the theme here, I'm assuming we're looking for a school outside of those three that we feel has a chance to usurp, to overtake, to be the alien invader and win the SEC in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Is that or maybe establish themselves as one of those types of powers atop the conference for years to come, but at least this year.
Speaker 2: Yes, the obvious answer here has to be Florida Arkansas. What has to be the Florida Gators. That's sort of the low hanging fruit. I guess my question is, to your point, is there another school in the SEC outside of these three, outside of Florida who might be in a position to you know, make some hay two or three years down the line. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean there's a team that has beaten all three of those teams relatively recently, and that's Auburn. And so early returns have not been wonderful this year, But what have we seen out of gus Malsan over the long haul? As soon as they look bad, they wipe three team wipe the floor with three teams that look really good. And so are Auburn's always looming as the perennial wildcard and in terms of talent but not necessarily performance and results Texas A and M. But they are a blue chip ratio team. I think they're exactly at fifty percent of their roster, their scholarships going to blue chip four or five star players. So I don't know how seriously you take them but they meet a minimum bar for a threat. We could have, I guess talked about Mississippi State after week one, but that conversation.
Speaker 2: I think kind of went out the window, didn't.
Speaker 1: It is dwindling a bit, and I think in the long term there's an interesting ceiling for Tennessee. But twenty twenty, I think it's Florida with a sprinkling of Auburn.
Speaker 2: With the Kyle Driver. We got a question about, oh yeah, the Kyles and the Kyle Driver that we can discuss in our Bruine episode if you will. I would love to, But I think Florida is the low hanging fruit here of the teams you mentioned. You know it should go without saying. If you've listened to this show, Tennessee is a particular interest to me. I don't have a thing for Jared Garantano. I'm just not not a I've been here, not vibing with Guarantano. But I do like the rest of the roster. I like the running game, I like the defense. I like that they play hard week in and week out, and you know, curious to see what happens post Guarantano. Recruiting has been pretty strong. There probably a stretch to see a conference title on the horizon. But the team is definitely improving in a really big way. I think that's except they could build the whole roster.
Speaker 1: Out of the linebacking cor Then we have a conversation I have moving on.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the ACC. So it's been going on.
Speaker 1: Can I give you my concern about Florida?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 1: You can throw the ball on them. Yeah, well, you can move the ball on Florida. I mean, I thought they did a pretty good job against South Carolina, but they needed a lot of South Carolina helping them with the issues that they might have they might have on defense, replacing a lot of production from last year. What Ole Miss was able to do is a little bit concerning. As for usurping potential, right, I.
Speaker 2: Would think so, I mean Old Miss is not I don't think in the near term going to have true usurping potential to make any kind of lasting dent in the SEC West or the SEC as a whole. But I don't know, give them a couple of years if Lane Kiffin works out. You know, I think what we saw on offense was pretty exciting through a couple of weeks here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I need quarterback and defense to feel fully confident. But the Florida schedule is actually pretty nice.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 1: I know they they have Georgia of course at a neutral site, they host LSU, and they traveled to Tennessee to end the season. But otherwise it's a nice year to be really strong on offense. It appears really strong on offense, and the schedule does work in their favor. One of the things we said on the on the previous show, you know, if you're going to play an all conference schedule Florida.
Speaker 2: Florida drew a pretty pretty nice looking straw there. Yeah, when you were high on them from day one, going undefeated, winning the SEC.
Speaker 1: Next, I love it. Next conference, Let's.
Speaker 2: Go to the ACC. Dan, Okay, let's go the ACE.
Speaker 1: I think there's only one answer, but I'm curious to hear what you have to say.
Speaker 2: Well, there's probably more than one answers if you want to use a qualifier. Okay, Clemson has obviously won the ACC each of the last three seasons, so when you talk about who can you surp the Clemson Tigers, this year is probably the exception to the rule because Notre Dame is in the ACC. That's correct, So could be Notre Dame could make a case for Miami. Probably not after this week, but at least for now, could make that case moving forward beyond this season, though it is the obvious answer Miami.
Speaker 1: I'm not ready. I would love it to be. I'm just not ready for it. I don't know if there is an obvious answer beyond this season this year, I think the most obvious answer is Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if i'm I.
Speaker 1: Mean, technically speaking, ian Book is a playoff quarterback, right, technically speaking, technically speaking, ian Book is a playoff quarterback. He's fine, He's pretty good. Miami has the wild card element two things, and we will find out soon enough what that actually means. But Notre Dame has that blue chip ratio, so they can weather injuries better than pretty much everybody else in the country. I don't know who's behind ian Book. I don't know if that's worrisome, but yeah, that defense, the continuity along the coaching staff. Say, for Tom Tommy Reese, I am confident that if there is a team, it's going to be a team that hosts Clemson. It's going to be a team that has talent and it has been a team that has been able to win both comfortably and their clunkers throughout a year and find themselves in the playoff. That's Notre Dame. I think that's the obvious answer. North Carolina is interesting, but I don't think they have the depth and the talent level across the board, and everybody else seems to have at least one point two fatal flaws.
Speaker 2: Notre Dame is the obvious answer this year. Okay, acknowledged. You know, Miami's got a transfer quarterback who has been really good, better at quarterback than they've had in a while, but he's gone next year, right, so what are they do? There's right, SOUI like, I have a fair amount of confidence that many Daz is going to put a defense out there. It's what he's good at. But getting consistency at the quarterback position has been a real issue. And you know, now he's very early on in his tenure. I'm not implying that this is all many Das his fault, but it's been a recurring theme at Miami for several years running now, and I think it's something that needs to be resolved. They should be able to recruit to Miami to play quarterback, and if he can find a replacement, then Miami maybe is the answer moving forward. I'm excited about North Carolina. I think, if I'm picking from the remaining pool, North Carolina seems to be doing a good job of landing really good talent in the recruiting game. They've obviously got Sam Halle for at least another season, which will bode well for him. But they've They've done some work on defense in the recruiting game that I think is going to just have a lasting effect. Whereas they might have been all offense a year ago, they clearly paid more attention on defense in the recruiting cycle, and I'm just curious to see how that works out for them now in the next few seasons.
Speaker 1: You got a dog excited about that?
Speaker 2: Is all excited for North Carolina's defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's a twenty twenty one especially of what we can see from them twenty twenty. It's a twenty twenty one magnifying glass. So we agree that's boring. We've agreed on the first two answers. I think we will part with number three. You want to talk about the big twelve. Let's talk about the big nine teams to choose from. Oklahoma's won the last three years. I think we got some interesting options here outside of Oklahoma. We've obviously got Texas. We're gonna see the Red River shoot Out this weekend. Maybe that'll give us some clarity.
Speaker 2: We've obviously got Oklahoma State as well, the only undefeated team still in the Big Twelve. Got a good defense this year. The quarterback position right now a little up in the air given the injury to Spencer Sanders, but good skill position talent with Chewba Hubbard and Tyland Wallace. We've got our friend, longtime friend of the show, Rock Purty.
Speaker 1: Long time friend of the show, our friend Ari Temkin did from Sirius XM from Big twelve Radio. He was able to ask Brock Purdy about brock Tober and the answer was, yeah, I've heard about it. It's a fun thing, but you know, I don't pay too much attention.
Speaker 2: Lies all lies. Why Rock's going to be our first Patreon subscriber, you know it, I know it. Just want to get that out there.
Speaker 1: I will also tell you this, would it surprise you if he files for a trademark for like the like what qb aggies did with Kenny Trill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I think he should. I don't want it. I don't want it. I don't want to pay that kind of cabbage for that.
Speaker 1: It would be wonderful if he does. October is wonderful. That's my answer.
Speaker 2: Actually, Iowa State, who else do we got there?
Speaker 1: I mean, k State, Kansas State? Okay, So State State is undefeated in conference. We're just talking about Big twelve championships, so it doesn't matter that they lost to Louisiana, as ugly as that was. You have TCU, who just had a nice win but did lose to Iowa State. You have Baylor, who I think we can say is it's going to be a struggle West Virginia, Kansas. I mean, so is it a four way? Minaja caught? My friend is correct? Texas, TCU, Iowa State, Kansas State. I guess it's five way with Oklahoma State. If if they can get Spencer Sanders at an interesting level, or if Shane Illingworth really works out, what.
Speaker 2: Tell me why? Your answer is Iowa State schedule is nice.
Speaker 1: They have Kansas State in ames, They've already beaten two major threats what we perceive to be two major threats. In Oklahoma and TCU, So in terms of tie breakers, they're in a nice place early. They have jumped out of the starting gates impressively in Big Twelve play, winning on the road against TCU and beating Oklahoma in dramatic fashion. That to me is the interesting thing about Iowa State. And if I'm going to lean on my combination of quarterback and defense as the ultimate combo, I think they have it an interesting Chakwan Bailey is a star on the edge. I just I think situationally, Iowa State's in a really good place. Go clones.
Speaker 2: I think the answer for me is Oklahoma State. I am. I am really into their defense. In looking at their schedule, they do have a road tilt against Oklahoma, but they're home against Texas, home against Texas close out the year at TCU. That'll be a tough game. So it's not an easy path here. There are a bunch of games that if you look at their projected win probability, it's like sixty forty, you know. But I have a lot of faith in that offense. Once Spencer Sanders gets back, I have a lot of faith in that defense hopefully should raise the floor for them and keep them on sort of track for this even if they don't have the offense firing on all cylinders. And I just feel like they're in a really good spot. You know, they've got a week off here before they go Baylor, Iowa State, Texas, and k State, and that's going to tell us an awful lot about this team. I hope Spencer Sanders is able to get back if he's back out there, if he's performing at the level that I think they expect, they've they've got to be the answer here, just have to be the answer because of that defense.
Speaker 1: I guess, But I don't know that getting Spencer Sanders back locks them in on that side of the ball.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you a secret some of his struggles last week? Yeah, I just bought broctober dot com just the case, did you as you were talking? As I was talking, I purchased that totally. Hell yeah, good for you multitasking here on the Friday. How much you spend on it? Twelve ninety nine? Uh, Harvard dot com twelve ninety nine. Yep, good bye you, Good job by you.
Speaker 1: If brock Party wants it, if he wants it, you have for free.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just give it to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that four game stretch of Texas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, and Iowa State to start things off. That's a little bit scary to me about Oklahoma State especially. I'm both for Spencer Sanders and Shane Ellingworth. I think they're really close if everything is hitting, but I'm not fully there.
Speaker 2: Have you looked at our portfolio of domains lately? We have some really weird domains in here. What do we have?
Speaker 1: Oh? Boy, I think I own fartblin doctors, art goblin.
Speaker 2: I don't. We don't have anything like that in our portfolio as like an actual business. But okay, we got some oddities in here. Okay, I like it, a new one that we may be rolling out soon. Wink wink, nudge nudge.
Speaker 1: Hey, Texas is just does not move the needle for you as a usurper. No, the team with the highest level of talent of the remaining nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's an interesting point. I'm glad you bring that up. They do move the needle because it's Texas. I'm just sick of talking about Texas. You know, the Texas's back thing is almost like cliche at this point for all the wrong reasons. Almost Well, it is and I we both picked Texas outright, I think to win Red River Shootout. We like their talent, We we like a lot about the team for whatever it is, they haven't been able to get over the hump.
Speaker 1: And wait, hold on, do you like a lot about Texas? Yeah? I feel I feel like that's faint.
Speaker 2: Praise, faint praise. No, I mean, yeah, of course I like Texas. I've I've been all in on Texas for years now, and the only reason it ever sounds like I'm not is because they've let me down so many damn times. And why do you like them? Because I can't quit him. It's like TCU, I have this weird affliction with the Big twelve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we need to get you living in like Amarillo or something. You just need to relocate to Texas and just have these weird crushes with in state schools. Texas is not a fun watch to me. I get the best of Texas. I get the worst of Texas. And maybe it's just because Sam Ellinger has been there for so long and I'm used to just you know, him trying to barrel dudes over from the three yard line. I just I kind of just get it. I kind of get the Texas deal under Tom Herman. I'm not saying they should get rid of them, but in terms of week to week, I'm never that excited to watch Texas football because it's just always like, Wow, there's like all this palace intrigue, and the palace is on stilts. It's it's tough to get juiced about the horns. I don't know, Well, something does that. Something does not do.
Speaker 2: It for me about them. So your usurper is Iowa State and minus O State.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's an energy, there's a fun there, there's a combination, there's an underdog thing.
Speaker 2: I'm going to Iowa State. Let's go the PAC twelve. Okay, Pack twelve is not Yeah. PAC twelve has not started play yet. They will shortly. Your last three Pac twelve champions have been Oregon, Washington, and USC. I'm not going to pretend that I know a lot about the PAC twelve. I feel like we have focused so much on the sec of the ACC and the Big twelve that another conference or two starting play is going to throw a big time monkey wrench in our little process here. But I know you follow the PAC twelve. Yeah, is there another team here? That jumps out at you.
Speaker 1: Ay California Golden Bears quarterback and defense. I'm not there's a lot of the the a lot of just energy on the West coast, saying the phrase Cal's undefeated, in which Chase Garber's played all four corners. Okay, okay, all right, Relax, relax, relax, real sense. Cal's interesting. Cal has a terrific schedule, and that they get Washington and Oregon. I believe Washington opens the season and Cal, if nothing else, owns the Washington Huskies, and they get Oregon at home, and that game is a sandwich, I believe for Oregon between their two rivals in Oregon state on the road in Washington and Eugene. So there's a lot clouding Oregon mines right around there and Cal, I think, especially with the opt in of cam Bynum, I know they lose some key other key pieces on defense. I'm curious to see whether or not they're able to generate killers on the outside, you know, if they're able to worry teams. I mean, we've talked about the phrase problem problem and Cal certainly fits that new offensive coordinator. But Chase Garver's is solid. He's pretty good and It's been a long time since been able to say that about Cal quarterback consistently. So if he's able to stay healthy, I really like Justin Wilcox is a defensive mind. I think that's my answer. I think things line up really nicely for Cal.
Speaker 2: What about Utah? Everybody? How do we not mention Utah? Does it matter that they lose?
Speaker 1: Everybody?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: This is a particularly lost filled off season? The off season twelve offseason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the off season is uh well, has not been kind to the utah Utes. They got to find a quarterback, got to find a running back. I mean, Jake Bentley comes over. But you know, they have their work cut out for them on the offensive side.
Speaker 1: And schedule's great, by the schedule's fine, but most of the defense has gone to I have faith that Kyle Woodingham is going to put a formidable defense out there, even if he's losing a lot. And the schedule is not bad. They've also played the schedule is amazing. They've also played in the Pac twelve championship game each of the last two seasons, so you know, even though they're close, they haven't actually gotten over the hump. I don't know how they can't be the answer. Like I'm with you, I'm google for Garber's as well.
Speaker 2: I mean, would rather Chase Chase Garber's or Jake Bentley? I mean, it's always Chase Garber's, Okay, always in forever. But I'm just saying I have more faith in Kyle Whittingham putting a balanced unit out there on the field and potentially usurping one of these three teams than I do almost anybody else in the Pact twelve.
Speaker 1: A team that a lot of ink proverbial ink has been spilled over, as ASU beat Oregon last year late in a game Oregon needed to get to the playoff. I think they start the season at four am against USC oh Man, would you go if if this were a normal year and say Penn State were closer to you, they were like an hour away or something instead of what are they three and a half hours something like that? About two and a half oh two and a half hours. Let's say there an hour way, let's say forty five minutes away. Penn State's kicking off at nine am local and doing so against I don't know, Michigan, and you've got great seats you're on like the thirty five yard line twenty five rows up? Would you go to a nine am kickoff?
Speaker 2: I'm awake at like three thirty am every day, so it's all relative. It's all relative. I'm just getting rolling by by nine am. So I'm probably the wrong person to ask, But yeah, I mean I kind of like it. You get the game out of the way, you get the rest of the day in front of you. I love it. I would.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel for the players because that means you're starting your day at five six am, waking up and eating and practicing and stretching and all that, or walkthroughs and stretching. I am, I would love to attend a nine am game, But I think we are just very washed. I think we have to keep that in mind. I think that is an element to it. You want to figure that's finish this out with the big ten.
Speaker 2: Ohio State, Ohigo State's won the last three. The obvious answer here is Penn State, at least in twenty twenty. You think so, you think it's obvious. I think so. Even without Michael Parsons, I still think this is gonna be a really good Penn State team. I think they're obvious Michigan is starting over in a lot of spots. Michigan State new coach. No one else in the East really jumps out at me. In the West, I guess you could make a case like you always can for Wisconsin. Wisconsin should be very good. Minnesota should be very good as well. I don't know if they're Ohio State levels. I was always pesky, you know, Nebraska, who knows what to expect there? But I you know it has to be Penn State. Who else could it be?
Speaker 1: I have Minnesota? Why Minnesota? Penn State's on a losing streak to Minnesota. Correct, they aren't a losing streak, but they did lose. Kirkshruck abaited you tie abating, I did it, friend of the show.
Speaker 2: He doesn't know it.
Speaker 1: This is when you buy Kirksharaka dot com. Is that available?
Speaker 2: Let me see if I can find If I can buy it, I will hear. I have to find out how you spell his name first.
Speaker 1: We're such just meaninglessly wasting money on squatting on non profitable websites. The answer for me is Minnesota because they do not have to play Ohio State during the regular season, which means that potentially on a neutral site with rhythm, with a new offensive coordinator, Mike Sanford junior, and with the potential that Ohio State and not rooting for this, I'm knocking on wood that it doesn't happen. Loses players to injury, key players to injuries, so that spot becomes the most interesting. We've seen teams compete with Ohio State in the Big Ten Championship game for stretches two quarters, three quarters. I like PJ.
Speaker 2: Fleck.
Speaker 1: I like his recruiting. I think they still have a number of underrecreated, underrated recruits and talent level. But the defense thing worries me that they're replacing a bunch on front, and they bring back a lot in the secondary, but they don't have Antoine Winfield, who has been their total stud in the secondary these past couple of years. But the reop in of Rashad Bateman, I'm having Moe Abraham. I'm I just I like Minnesota. I like their schedule, I like sky Yuma, and there's something to me that is with Jack Cone going down in Wisconsin and losing what they do on offense and defense, losing those linebackers. I think Wisconsin has a nice year and I believe I'm looking this up right now where the X game is being played, Paul Bunyan's X.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's something about Minnesota that I think that they're going to be able to weather these weird times, and they have the best chance because you miss Ohio State. I think they open with Michigan, which is nice. So you get Joe Milton in his first game and that's at Minnesota. The stretches are actually pretty kind. Iowa sandwiched between Illinois and Purdue. They have Marylyn and Illinois as road tilts early on. Wisconsin is on the road and Nebraska's on the road to finish things out.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: You miss Ohio State, you miss Penn State, you miss Michigan State. For whatever that's worth. I like situationally where Minnesota might be this year with Tanner Morgan and Rashad Bateman.
Speaker 2: So the good news is that we now own Kirksharaka dot com com cutching. The other good news is that we also after it elon musk. We also have the option to buy one Kirksharraka dot com, Kirksharraka Shop dot com or Global Kirksharaka dot com.
Speaker 1: Is he big enough yet to have his own web extension? Like, can we buy kirk dot sharraka? Does that not exist yet? It's he's not in the land of biz and show.
Speaker 2: We have Kirksharaka dot Systems for twenty one ninety nine. Kirksaraka Kirk I can't even say his name, Kirksharaka dot so Solutions dot com. He sounds like he's sort of in the Jim Cheney consulting school there.
Speaker 1: Right, sure, don't we just buy dot govs?
Speaker 2: No, I don't. They don't give me that option. I'd probably need to provide paperwork. They have a lot of very odd extensions. Now, kirksharrakatools dot com.
Speaker 1: Let's just go kirks kirkschocka dot com. Yeah, yeah, just grab it, just grab it. You never know, you never know.
Speaker 2: I'll redirect it to his actual like page. No, I don't think that'll change ever. So well, okay, we'll point it twelve ninety nine. Well spent Hover dot com not a sponsor.
Speaker 1: So you're going make the case. I suppose Penn State gets Ohio State at home? Right, yes, correct, that's early week two week two week two Okay, who does Penn State have on the road this year and make the case for me personnel wise that they are on the level of Ohio State, if not surpassing the Buckeyes.
Speaker 2: At Indiana, at Nebraska, at Michigan at Rutgers. How are you feeling about that slate? Feeling pretty good? Feeling pretty good? Yeah? And then at home, remember it's an eight game Big ten slate. At home, it's Ohio State, Maryland, Iowa, which always gives them fits. Doesn't matter how good Iowa is, it always gives them fits.
Speaker 1: Well, I was always general. I mean, they're decent. They're a decent team at worst.
Speaker 2: It seems they could be one hundred and nineteenth in the SP plus and they would still give Penn State a hard time. It's just the way this game goes. And then they close out the year against Michigan State. So that's a very very workable schedule if I'm looking at projected win probabilities every game on this schedule outside of Ohio State, and the road tilt against Michigan is at least seventy five percent or higher. Okay, So you feel good about that.
Speaker 1: I feel goods on their team to opt.
Speaker 2: Out lose the best player in there on their team to opt out. But you know, I'm optimistic that Sean Clifford can show improvement with Kirk Shiraka go to Kirksharaka dot com. The running game is low key very good, maybe one of the better units in the country. Okay, And you know, even with the loss of Micah Parsons, they have recruited very well in defense and they still have a pretty good cast of characters coming back, So I think the floor is really high for them. I do expect that they're going to get a little bit more out of that offense than Ricky Ronnie did. There are weapons that they can utilize. I still don't feel great about the receiving core. It's a one like I like Baby Gronk, But outside of that, I'm just you know, who's going to step up? Is it Johan Dotson? Is it somebody else? That's that's sort of the open question to me. That and obviously Sean Clifford. But no, I feel good about the schedule. I feel good about this team. The recruiting has been so strong as of late that even if it doesn't happen this year, I think Penn State's got a really bright future here in the coming years, and they're probably like the low hanging fruit to this question, got to be Penn State.
Speaker 1: Penn States yards per carry against Ohio State these last few years twenty nineteen, and perhaps they can improve upon it. Two point seventy five.
Speaker 2: Not great. It's not been great. It really hasn't.
Speaker 1: The year before that, okay, four point six, the year before that against Ohio State two point six, and then the year before that three point three. And now they don't have an obvious passing game threat unless you believe in Hu Tai Kirkhuraka of these five teams. And I also want to ask you about the American of these five teams, who stands the best usurping chance. I don't know if we agreed on Iowa State, but Iowa State, cal Florida, we'll say, Penn State or Minnesota, like, which of these conferences is most usurpable?
Speaker 2: I think it's I think Florida. I mean, I've been high in Florida the whole time. And you know, I think we've seen a progression now under Dan Bullen that you can feel confident things are going in good direction. Recruiting is always strong at Florida. They've seemingly got the quarterback situation resolved at least for this season. So yeah, the the most immediate answer is definitely Florida.
Speaker 1: See I disagree because Oklahoma's already lost twice, Ocahom's lost fight. So whatever our big twelve team is probably stands the best chance mathematically mathematically. Okay, Okay, that's that's our game. Do you want to play the Alien Invader sound again?
Speaker 2: Let's play? Why not?
Speaker 1: It's free to play this sound? Yeah, it is absolutely is.
Speaker 2: That wigs me out a little bit?
Speaker 1: So you made it, I know, and that's why I went with it, because I did wig me out a couple things. Ty, if you have watched The Bruine, you noticed something very specific and that we were drinking delicious cool beers out of a delicious cool Pine class. I'm drinking with the solid verbal logo on it. I'm drinking my beer right now, my pre Bruenne beer, out of my solidverbal Pine class. It's a wonderful device. So we've been with Patreon being announced next week, we've been weighing what we should be doing with this really nifty box of soliverbal Pine classes.
Speaker 2: We now have.
Speaker 1: That's interesting to me.
Speaker 2: It's very interesting. Yeah, they're stacked up somewhere in a warehouse. We've got more of them than we know what to do with, so we what do we do?
Speaker 1: We've also been doing the Brune and we know some people can't. I mean, we're doing it on YouTube dot com slash the solid Verbal. We know some people prefer audio with their soliverbal content. So you know we're having conversations ty with our October fourteenth, next Wednesday Patreon launch. So just want to make sure people know about all of that. Yeah, yeah, Can I ask you a couple of questions before we leave? Can I just like PWO quick questions please? Okay, we had so many good questions come in for this week's bruine. I wanted to get a couple of these out of the way. Ryan wants to know, are we sure we even want.
Speaker 2: Texas to be back? Like? Ever?
Speaker 1: Do you want Texas to be back? It's not enjoying answering the question do you want a really successful Texas team? For the for your college football coverage purposes?
Speaker 2: I don't want the cliche of is Texas back to ever go away because it gives us. It gives us something to talk about every year.
Speaker 1: Why do you disregard BYU?
Speaker 2: Why do we do disregard Bay? Do you? I mean?
Speaker 1: I think we disregard them and the lack of attention we give them. I don't disregard them. I think it's just difficult to put their early season in perspective about what it means, because there is something about an independent team. And you can say this now as a Notre Dame fan, you know, longtime fan of the ACC, Ty hilden Brand, that's Conference of Champions. According to you, an independent team is less interesting to me because I know Notre Dame has these natural rivalries that they play every year or try to play as often as possibly of USC and Michigan and whoever they've sort of built stuff up with in the ACC, so that at least has that at least is something Notre Dame has going for it. But BYU playing this very pop up schedule that doesn't include Power five opponents, I just the zazz factor isn't fully there yet. I've been super impressed by what they've been doing so far. Zach Wilson has been a crazy fun watch. I think that's why you disregard them. I want year and year out rivalries. That's what I need, other than the Holy War.
Speaker 2: Zach Wilson's been really good and the offense as a whole has been outstanding. Yeah, you know, we'll we'll get a chance to see them at Boise State, I think first week of November something like that. You know, that's that's the biggest game on the schedule by far. And there's a game against Houston too in a couple of weeks actually, where we'll yeah, hopefully where we'll get a better sense for what BYU is all about. But no, you know, if it comes across as district guarding them, I don't think that's intentional. I have no ill will towards BYU.
Speaker 1: I'll stick with that theme. Do you have a team in the American UCF has won it a couple of times in the last three years, and Memphis obviously when it last year setting up their matchup against Penn State. Is there an American team be it Navy, Temple, Houston, SMU, Cincinnati. Is there an American team where you're like, okay, they're the usurper and.
Speaker 2: Well, Cincinnati has been my they're my boys, right, Like I don't know. I don't know if you want to ride with Okay, I'm all in on Cincinnati this year. Okay, my hunch is that you're gonna be all in on SMU because you love you have this weird thing with SMU. But oh, Ty, I'm all in on Cincinnati. Give me that that defense and Desmond ridder D and d are you sure you want to ride at that offense? You sure? Give you a chance. I'm giving you a chance. Of defense is very good, it's very good defense.
Speaker 1: SMU has taken impressive forward step forward on defense this year. We'll see how much it holds up. Their opponents have not been amazing. Memphis has struggled. Then it's Stephen F. Austin North Texas, Texas State. But at Tulane Cincinnati's offense, Navy has looked pretty dreadful, dreadful, Temple, Tulsa, Houston, ECU. Is anybody running rough shot over anybody offensively from that list of teams?
Speaker 2: Not quite sure? Not no tie.
Speaker 1: I'm rolling with the D.
Speaker 2: I' rolling with the D. I'm rolling with SMU. Sure, Shane, all right, So plans for the weekend? Anything special?
Speaker 1: I'm watching football games. I'm making another Detroit Pie Friday night, having some company over and eat some some outside Detroit pie. I don't think we got a lot of work, like Ty. I'm working every day on Soliverbal's that's my stuff.
Speaker 2: That's my thing.
Speaker 1: I've got like four more hours of work tonight with video stuff and all sorts of administrative stuff and design stuff. And I couldn't be happier about it. So that's the plan, Just grind and tie.
Speaker 2: I am really excited for this Patreon thing that we got coming up. It's gonna be so fun. Yeah, I'm really excited. It's going to give us a chance to do some new stuff, things that we've wanted to do for a long time. And there's the lawnmower. The lawnmower work every Thursday at five point thirty Eastern. Yep, all right, it's all I have. Tie.
Speaker 1: Patreon is just it's that's the true zaz of this season for us.
Speaker 2: So here's the deal. If you're listening, we wish you well this weekend, enjoy the games tomorrow. If you're listening on a Friday or today, if you're listening on a Saturday morning, four to oh eight, Verbal one is a reverbal line. Give us a call, let us know what's on your mind as you're watching the games. We cut them up a three and a half minute clip four minutes. If they're really good calling the reverbs four eight, eight, three, seven, two five to one, give us call. Cut those up bright and early Sunday morning, we'll play it on the airwaves in the meantime. If you are just finding us or you like what we do, we are pretty much everywhere on social media at Solid Verbal. We're on YouTube at the YouTube dot com slash the Solid Verbal. There's a we're about to post our Bruine Brune. We're going to go that next.
Speaker 1: We're about to hit record on our cameras and microphones and record Brune drinking out of beautiful Solid Verbal pint glasses and having cold refreshments in the process.
Speaker 2: Us and maybe this goes without saying based on all the hints we've dropped so far, but we've been doing some exciting stuff. You're working on exciting stuff in the lab and we've only had an opportunity to reveal some of it thus far. And this coming week is going to be a big week for us. I'm really excited about this coming.
Speaker 1: Week, have we given a podcast to Tom DeLong?
Speaker 2: Who's to say, Who's to say? Who's to say for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Ty hilden Brand. Enjoy the rest of whatever remains in your week, Enjoy all of your week, and enjoy the games. Give us a call, and in the meantime, stay safe and stay solid. Peace,