Speaker 1: Really now, really, really.
Speaker 2: Now, really hello, and welcome to Really Know Really Jess, Alexander and Peter Tilden, who remind you onequivocally that subscribing to the podcast is a truly stand up thing to do. And speaking of stand up, actor Paul Reiser began his illustrious career back in the seventies as one of the hottest young stand up comedians of his generation. What quickly followed was breakout acting roles in films like Diner, Beverly Hills, Cop and Aliens. That was followed by television stardom and series like My Two Dads, Stranger Things, The Kaminsky Method, The Boys, and his highly acclaimed series Mad About You, which he also produced and wrote. But then last year, after a thirty two year hiatus from stand up comedy, Riser returned to his comedy roots with his special Life Death and Rice Pudding, and suddenly he was a stand up again.
Speaker 3: Really no really, Today.
Speaker 2: The guys will chat with him about the twists and turns of his amazing career and what called him back to take up the microphone and comedy clubs once again.
Speaker 3: Here's Jason and Peter.
Speaker 1: All right, let's say.
Speaker 4: Should we actually begin, but.
Speaker 1: Rolling why I just want to I want to go.
Speaker 3: What is so important that I had to race over to this side of town? What is how?
Speaker 4: He's interrupting? Apparently we're trying to start a show and roll in and do introductions and the.
Speaker 3: Guests I thought i'd come in aggressive.
Speaker 4: Has decided to come in like you know, like it's like it's his show.
Speaker 1: You know what that means. He's a little bit nervous, he's uncomfortable. He wants to try and get in and feel the.
Speaker 3: Yeah you put me in my place nicely. Good for you for you know who did that?
Speaker 4: Remember who did that? Same thing? Same thing?
Speaker 3: He's gone.
Speaker 4: No, he's still with us.
Speaker 1: You know what comes? I love you, Remember I love obscure things. I was gonna say, Lance Wrens, No, just to see.
Speaker 4: If Shatner started the interview, started interviewing, what's the show? Why?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: Now I'm doing sign But yeah, Shatner started the.
Speaker 1: Same always takes over. You go to lunch with him and we say we're not going to have desert, and he goes everything and then you gotta get it. Yeah, so.
Speaker 4: We'll pretend that we had not been interrupted. Are you excited about our guest today.
Speaker 1: I am really excited to because oh, this is like a nine and a half ten, and he's gonna say why not?
Speaker 4: Why not immediately?
Speaker 1: All right, that's it because the Orson Walf is dead. I'm a huge How are you not a huge man? I mean you grew up watching him? And also he's taking jobs away from me, nomadic actresses your way from me.
Speaker 4: I still like them.
Speaker 1: It's dramatic, it's action adventure, it's the boys, it's stranger things, it's it's met about you. Reduct you know, comes back.
Speaker 4: For a guy with an every man's face and a really you know, I'm not saying he doesn't have talent. I'm saying it's not a to Z you know what I'm saying. He's not Brando, but.
Speaker 1: He llow he's done up singing comedy with the thing he did with that monitor lizard. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but no, Paulie, Paulie is he's done at all?
Speaker 1: And what the really no really is thirty two years he waited to do stand up the thing?
Speaker 4: Now here's the thing because I haven't done the deep dive. I know paul primarily as an actor because I first remember the first time I remember remember seeing Paul's work was in diner, right, you're with me? So I didn't know him as a stand up prior to that, and I kept here on a stand up standing stand up. And so for me, I go, it's even more of a really no, really, because I go, you never did stand up? Why we Why now you're going to do stand up? But it's a return to the roots. What balls would it take? Yeah, drove all the way here from wherever? Yeah, and we never we just did this, We just do this what he did? Just talk about him in front of him. Yeah, and speculate what his answers might be.
Speaker 3: They'll be fine with me to watch two people talk about.
Speaker 4: Please welcome to really no, really the great and I do mean that one of thank you gentle men out there, and and a lovely human being. Nobody by the fact that he's willing to come down to the van Night's airport.
Speaker 1: And by the way, not knowing from comedy anybody or under what thirty probably thinks you're dramatic from aliens on, thanks, you're a dramatic act my favorite thing.
Speaker 3: And I hear this a lot. His friends will say that their kids their teenage kids will go, what the guy, the doctor from Stranger Things is going to try to be funny and I go, okay, first of all, tell him I'm not a doctor, right, really, and I'm actually a stand up but you know, and I did take twenty years off doing stand up, not intentionally but just as it turns out, so it's understandable. But you know, I think of myself as a stand up for But as you were talking, we were in an acting class together for a brief with Larry. Yes, that's right, that's where I first met you, and it would be it was way before you would be probably eighty. I remember just two three big locks of hair. Yeah, that would have been a while ago.
Speaker 4: You're confusing us. It happens all the time. But seriously, because I never asked you this, because how often have we chatted about this stuff? So when you were a kid, you weren't thinking actor. You were thinking come yeah, yeah, you know they were sort of meshed. I don't think that you're in fourth grade thinking I want to do a fellow but performing. So it was like the blanket performing.
Speaker 3: So in elementary school, you'd write an essay, a composition, a story and my recollection is you could read it aloud if you'd like, and I would go and I would volunteer because I wanted the laughs of the eighteen twenty kids. And even then, this is how dumb and ill advised. I would put in subtle jokes that only one guy would get and the rest of the class would go. But like, I was always working the back of the room, which is death is silly, but it made me happy. So it was always performing and getting laughs was the thought. But you know, you'd be in a school play. I remember in college I did Guys and Dolls and I was not in the theater department. It was like the dorms putting on a silly thing. And I even fell into that by accident because some guy dropped out. And I loved getting the laugh. I was like, and I love the excitement, and I loved getting ready, Well we got a show. It's only nine more hours to a showtime, you know that. But I knew there were four solid laughs that I would get. That made me realize, yeah, that's what I like, and we'll get through the dancing and singing and stuff.
Speaker 4: But the reason I find it interesting because I talked to Jerry about this too. Jerry said, I assume it's still true that his preference, by a landslide is stand up because he loves the thrill or the challenge of working in one. Yeah, And I find like I talked to Kevin Pollock about that too, and he likes that too. He likes the he likes working in one. I went into acting because I spent my life in one and I wanted to have a community, and so it was always the communal aspect of being in a show or being in a film that drew me to it. I find that a lot of comedians I talked to are very intimidated by the community work of being an actor, or vice versa. My actors won't go near.
Speaker 3: It's ironic because one of the things, yes, you're working in one, but one of the things that I loved when I did my little you know, theater experiences, but I also love in stand up is in fact the community. So, yes, you're working in one, but you're all hanging around that, you're all chiming in with hey, you know, it would be a great line after that, and you're with the other it's you know, like, oh, these you know, the brothers and sisters. So I think there really is a strong community. And it's interesting. I never felt comedians were really competitive professionally. I mean you might say, oh, you know, jump on the line. You're an actor. There's eleven guys go into the audition. One of you will get it, the other ten will not. Just stand up. There's a great gig, you'll do it this week, you'll do it next week. So it's not a zero sum game. So to that effect, there really was a community. There is a community and stand up which I still love. Well.
Speaker 1: You also, you were that part of the Best Buddies thing with Cherry Too, right, did you Mark Schiff, Larry Millwer didn't you do the New Year's.
Speaker 3: Michael Lampton Ky? Yeah, yeah, we were, you know, five idiots who said it's New Year's Day, we got nothing to do, nobody has a girlfriend, let's go eat lunch. And then that became a tradition, you know, we'll get through the New Year's Day thing. I did it for like twenty five years or something.
Speaker 1: And did you guys compare notes? Did you guys always fell comedy for like a mont grow.
Speaker 3: We wouldn't talk. No, in fact, almost not at all, but but it would just be sprinting and having ridiculous laughs. You know, we were the guys that everybody else is going to led Zepplendon, We're going to see Robert Klein. So when you find that community, you know, and and I remember one time in fact, that group was Larry Jerry and myself and Mark Shift and we were eating out in a restaurant and wait, just said something silly and there was an opening and almost like we all went around instantly and did the same joke but a little different went Wow, that's that was your take. That was your take and uh, and we just laughed at that, the fact that we had the same idea and we all went a little bit different way.
Speaker 1: So may I bring up so I watch a comedy special not before you were even booked.
Speaker 3: That is really appreciated.
Speaker 1: And the thing that I single out one thing, not that everything else wasn't brilliant, one thing that was got broken. I'm a lot more healthy than so the thing that got me though, that was so broken. And you get to that point when you're logging in and says, are you a robot?
Speaker 3: I love those tests because there's so few things that I'm good at and those one I I crush them. I go, I know I'm already in, but give me another one.
Speaker 4: I know, because there's always like a piece of one in the corner of a blank.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I go, do I click on that cross one?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, you're either a robot or Jason Alexander.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah, but you're not getting it.
Speaker 3: There was when I go someone that I try to trick you up, palm tree.
Speaker 5: Palm Well it could be a focus, right, hey, not so fast that yes, yes, but it's it's it's interesting with the technology that advance, the one thing that stops a robot, we cannot attemptify a chimney.
Speaker 3: You put a chimney in with debt.
Speaker 4: Now, you say you took a twenty year break, but were you and you were writing and running some of the other things as well, But were you keeping sort of a here's a.
Speaker 3: Little journal note I should make no real No, I wasn't. I think the brain's always putting doing that anyway, like that's funny. But I wasn't keeping it because I I had never intended. There were a lot of comics who say, you know who just actually got into stand up because they want to get discovered and then they'll get a sitcom. And then they advanded it my our group of guys, we just loved stand up.
Speaker 1: That was the goal.
Speaker 3: So I never wanted to get out of it. And I only got out of it because I like, when Mad About You started, I was I don't know Jerry managed to do it, others did it. I was like, that's a full time job and my brain is dead, and if I have a month off, I'm going to sleep. So and then I got really comfortable, and then we you know, the show was over, and I said, I'm going to take a year off, and and I didn't always wanted to get back, but I didn't want to just dig dust off the old act. So I just kept waiting and waiting. I said it's time, and I just started really from scratch. I had three minutes of stuff in's you say, what's relevant? I'm not smart enough to make anything up and I can only I'm going to tell you what happened in my house. See if this is funny, and most people go, oh, that happened to my house, and lot George Colin used to call it, oh yeah comedy, like oh yeah yeah. So but you know, you find out that what you're going through is really universal. What was nice about coming back after all those years and now this is post mad about you, so audiences now they know you and they feel comfortable. It really felt like getting together with old friends. It's like, we know what's happening. Those babies that we had, they're growing up now, right, Well, they's funny. So it was was it was way overdue. I wish I had I don't know wish, but I wanted to and I only was procrastinating because I wanted to do it well. And what I found was it was exactly going back when I was sixty or whatever, felt exactly the same as when I was eighteen. I went on audition night. It's like just as excited, just as nervous. It's just as challenging, and there's no shortcut, like you can't you're not automatically better. Lo, you got to go up every night. And then a year I felt it was a year before I said I can maybe try to sell a ticket. No, even the first club date I wait to the I would just go to eight club and do fifteen minutes or four minutes, and then eight minutes, ten minutes, I think I can do it. At the first club date manager booked it was like two shows with two shows in one night. No, I'm in pajamas at eight thirty. That's not gonna I can't do that. And to my surprise, so we negotiated down to one and then of course when it was over, I went give me another show. I realized I missed this. Wow, well it was great.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you that dumb question that I've never just came to my mind? Thought, Jason's gonna call me for asking Spust, how do you decide what to wear? Whenever I watch a comedy special, I go, if you're wearing the wrong thing for now and your stomach and your thing, and it's going to be bad. How do you test out what you wear? Because you were a very nice outfit that worked. The shoes, worked the pants.
Speaker 3: But it's not a dumb question because it took me while to realize.
Speaker 1: You test out what you wear because you were a very nice outfit that worked, the shoes, worked the pants.
Speaker 3: It's not a dumb question because it took me while to realize, I only feel comfortable with these shoes, and I like to gee I don't like to wear a suit. It looks nice, but I don't feel comfortable in a suit. And and so I found a shirt. I went, let me give me a lot of these shirts. And I got a dozen of the same shirt. And then was the special. I actually had a meeting with a wardrobe person. I said, well, this is not just me chilling it chuckles, I have to and they go, but you want to be comfortable, I said, I'm just gonna wear exactly what I wear. And uh, and if you need those shirts, by the way, we'll watch the shirts.
Speaker 1: I like the blue monitor. I'd like the things good.
Speaker 4: But there is there is a thing.
Speaker 3: As we've all gotten older, and I would imagine you found this too. You find a uniform, whether it's for home or for work. I was like, let me do this. A. It's comfortable. B. I don't want to think. I remember Obama talking about that that one of the things like when he got busy, is like, I'm going to cut out all wardrobe decisions except one day I'm gonna wear a cream colored suit. But that he stepped out of the zone and then he got he got in trouble. But it's like, yeah, you know, just gonna here's what I wear, Here's what I do. So is this it is this the ni No? This is my Jason Alexander put on a sweater. No, but yeah, yeah. Basically I'm always wearing jeans in the sweater and if I step out, it's wrong.
Speaker 1: If you still have clothing you wear from Matt about your for God's sake, because I'll tell you what you want him. He's wearing two items right now from Cipher and we just talked about.
Speaker 4: By the way, if you're a constant listener, we talked about this in the last episode as well. So when the show went down, what do you take? I don't know what to take, so I took all my wardrobe.
Speaker 3: I remember, Yeah, but us thirty years now.
Speaker 4: Look at his shirt.
Speaker 3: It's a classic. It's like a hemingway.
Speaker 4: You don't throw.
Speaker 3: I remember the when you're doing a show and we're lucky, we're privileged to be working on a show, and they dress and slowly you start dressing just like your character is you. Let's just close that gap. And then while you're doing a show, Well, I got to do it tonight show. I need a suit, get your suit. You doing a thing? I have a wedding can give me cut to afterwards, I went, I haven't been in a store now it's nine years. I don't know how to do that, and so I got to get a show so somebody can buy their pants and somebody go take those.
Speaker 4: In when I shoot something. That's when I got closed. I have an insane foot. I have a five and a half d so it's five five and a half. I wear a six shoe, but five and a half.
Speaker 3: It was like those those little boxing dummies with the little plastic feet that correct. So really, yes, shocked that you can support your body weight.
Speaker 4: If you're listening the first time, this is my foot, and my foot ends here. My foot ends here.
Speaker 1: Your parents and they felt to see if there was room in the shoe.
Speaker 4: One hundred and four episodes of the Sign Felt program right there, these shoes still looking good brush suede.
Speaker 3: I always, I always. I always found it a bit sad, little melancholy that you grow when you're growing as a kid. You you hit your final shoe size, but you don't know it. And if I knew it on that day, I would have liked to celebrate. I'm a six, I'm an.
Speaker 1: Eight, I'm a nine.
Speaker 3: Oh no, it's staying then, but you don't know it till you're twenty four.
Speaker 1: So that was it.
Speaker 3: I'm a nine and a half.
Speaker 4: The other the other observation this is this is, oh, come on, I'm having a senior moment. Everybody loves Raymond ray it's raised joke. But his joke is I didn't know the first time I slept with my wife that I was choosing my side.
Speaker 3: For the rest of our time. To get that, which is so true. It's these decisions you never realize is the decision. Here's a phenomenon that I and my wife cannot figure out. We have our sides, and if we move to another house, it's the same. But when we go to a hotel, we switch it and not delivered it. Not like, hey, let's freshen things up.
Speaker 4: My wife gets the side closest to the bathroom.
Speaker 3: That's why there is a slight element of macho. I'll have the closest to the door so I can protect you. Yeah, so as first to go out, she's the first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I just feel feel I never say it that way, but the really hotels do change up.
Speaker 3: And we'll go interesting. We switched we didn't know why.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you're some of your biggest I mean really some of your home runs are in really serious stuff like does that surprise you or did you go nope, I got this, no problem.
Speaker 3: I know it surprised me. I didn't really think too much about it. I remember, I mean it was really Aliens was the first thing. And it wasn't that it was dramatic so much.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It was certainly non comedic, but I looked at it more as like this is gonna be a huge this is like oh absolutely, yeah, well Alien. The first one was Jim Cameron had done, Done, terminated. I wrote, well, that's my home run right there, and then I read the script and go wow yeah. And so I remember reading it thinking, hey, I have no business being in this movie. But it was I've never had this experience since I was out of breath reading it goes oh really yeah. It was just and it was written sort of like haiku, you know, bam slam metal on Metal Dog, and it was it's just visual. You could see it and hear it. And to my mission statement for myself was just be do whatever you have to do so that when you're on screen the film doesn't come to a grinding halt.
Speaker 1: That was the bar.
Speaker 3: I said, just if people just go all right, he's in a movie, you know, so what does that mean?
Speaker 1: Okay, coach?
Speaker 4: But did you have to go get it or was it an offer?
Speaker 3: No, it wasn't an offer. No, Im I met with Jim Cameron. I don't know that I read. Maybe I did. And then it was a long period of months because they had to they had to look at every actor in the UK. They shot it in London and apparently there is no one on the continent there the can do what I did. So they came back and so what I had kind of forgotten about it is like you're usually here in a week. This is months. And then I was shooting some the thing and my manager shows up, you got it? What alien?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 3: Really so I knew it was. I mean, I was anxious.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 3: I was nervous. I want them to do well an interesting thing that you will certainly appreciate as an act. As it turns out, the first week or two of my shooting of the schedule, I was in scenes, but I had no lines. So as a comic, as a performing you know, what do I do? But it made me think deeper. For the first I was what are you doing? What do you and you don't want to telegraph on you know, but so how do you be so that anytime that they get you, you're And by the way, maybe absolutely nothing is the right choice. But I never had to think at that level because like, usually you can skate on your performance, on your lines, it's like.
Speaker 1: Right performance, but you show up and you sell likable and trustworthy, and then when you reveal that you're not, Yeah, that's fast. I mean Stranger Things is kind of the same mae.
Speaker 3: Of the things that I think they were trying to ride off of that image of like, we don't trust this guy and he's replacing Matthew Modin and he was terrible. You know, his character was evil. So who turns out maybe not so much evil, But it's funny. I remember Jim Cameron saying that he wanted someone who the audience didn't really know, you know, wasn't gonna be a big star, but it was also somebody that would be amiable and you'd like him, and you wouldn't you wouldn't be suspicious. My recollection is that people in the minute I showed one that's wrong. Something's not right with this guy. Because also the people were so trained to not like corporate people, the corporate weasel. And it's sort of like the guest star on Star Trek Ugly he's gonna be dead, yes, right, shirt guy. Yeah, one of these things is not like the other.
Speaker 1: But you do sell it. I mean you do sell it like you and in a big way. And obviously they looked at eight billion people Games Town could have a casting list that forever forever to decide, Yeah, you're the right thing. It's pretty amazing, right it was.
Speaker 3: It's you know, there is a life to that movie that I never I mean, it was a big hit and people would often remember recognize. But there are conventions that are you know sci fis and comic cons and that I've been to and I'll meet people. Go, I watched that movie every Saturday for the last thirty six years. Get out of the house, do something, get a job, don't tap.
Speaker 1: Paper by the way, somebody does, Well, who shows up? Do they have someone? Did people dress up as the yes?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they dress up in aliens, they dress up on the full stuff and they bring in props that I'm going is that from the actual movie. Its like some of them they are, Yeah, it's and it's I mean it speaks to the success of that of what a good movie it was, and it still holds if you you know, I'll catch up. Wow, it's and so many movies after that sort of stood on the show.
Speaker 1: It's amazing being something that's that iconic. And I'm wondering. So you're you're at home writing stuff and you're doing stand up and then you do Mad About You. There's no guarantee it's going to be a hit. How many episodes in and you went, whoa, this thing is got some heat. Was it immediate or would it take a while?
Speaker 3: Well, there's a there's two different ways to look at it. I knew immediately it was going to be good, and I knew the minute. I just Helen Hunt came over to my house and we read it in my house before she even agreed to audition, and I just went, ah, this feels special. And then we did the pilot. Well everybody and the audience are like, yeah, this is working. Is it going to be a hit that you don't know? And because we didn't, you know it was actually initially we were paired and the timing was it was we oh, Jerry's show was just beginning to take off, so like, oh New York Jewish comic in New York, and what happened, And but we weren't guaranteed anything like a second season. They go, you should have a baby, went no, no, no, that's no good to get. And I think it wasn't really till the end of the second season when they go, Okay, we're gonna go but the first season, like you know, you do twelve and then we'll pick up the back nine and second season they was still trying to but by the third season they would take their hands off and say, you guys obviously know what you're doing.
Speaker 1: And did you have to take notes from network or did you do much like Larry where you said I'm quitting if you try and give me a note.
Speaker 3: Oh, I just I just had lunch with Helen Hunt and were laughing. She said, you have a real allergy to notes, like, yeah, I can't. Can't so much so that when we did the the revisit five years ago, Helen and Peter Tolan itself and we were like it was really a well oiled trio. But it was like you guys do the meeting. I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 3: I'll soil myself. I said, they'll give you twenty things. If three of them makes sense to you, let's talk about the three, but don't I can't hear the other ones. Yeah, I just it's just how was it in the initial run though?
Speaker 4: How do you could you push back against it or did you have to?
Speaker 3: It was? You know, I had a partner, Danny Jacobson and Danny Danes, and often he would, you know, vet them and so here's a good one. And sometimes they were good and sometimes often they're just execs who feel like they have to, yeah, put their fingerprints on it, Like what if you do remember one it was a network guy?
Speaker 1: What if?
Speaker 3: What if Paul? What if what if your character was chewing gum? He could what if he had toast? How does that help you? Is that a better show? Is there a Toast demo that you're trying to get? But they also you know, but we knew early on. I think it was this. Certainly in the first season we did. We knew that the success of the show. We wanted jokes, we wanted laughs, we wanted you know, fun, but it was the small stuff that people would tuning into and and we did. And I've often talked about this is that we did a the highest concept show. You always saw a siphoned it's a show about nothing, and we always say wow. Show was about the small things, the little things, a little thing. And then we had the biggest concept ever. It was I invested in a virtual reality thing. But the issue was I invested our money and I didn't speak to her, didn't check it with the wife. And we come back when in bed and we're just it's just a two shot, the two idiots sitting up in bed, and I said, you're not trying to talk them into I said, you can do anything. You could. You could you could ski, you could you could climb a mountain, you could water, you could go in the ocean. And she's warming up, she does, what did you pick? I said, I got a massage from Christy Brinkley, and Helen just cocked her head ever so slightly, and I got a huge laugh and went yes, because the show is about not what you did, it's like what the other person feels about. When she cocked her head, I went, hm, hmm, this is gonna work.
Speaker 4: But can I if I'm the man, I think I may have delivered Helen Hunter, because as she was considering the show, I think she had already. I think she had the offer on it. I found myself doing a short film that she was producing, and she was in and we were having lunch, and she said, I think I may have delivered Helen Hunt here because as she was considering the show, I think she had already. I think she had the offer on it. I found myself doing a short film that she was producing, and she was in and we were having lunch, and she said, would I like doing the sitcom? I said, well, what's the sitcom? She said, well, it's Paul Riserd.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What what I mean? What is it an audience?
Speaker 3: She's yeah.
Speaker 4: I said, it's the best job you're ever going to have. Are you on the writing team? She said, I don't know. No, it's the best job you're ever gonna have. Why wouldn't you do it?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 4: Is it ensemble? She said? What's two hands with Paul?
Speaker 1: Of course?
Speaker 3: Well, of course, Joe, thanks.
Speaker 1: Well, you know her.
Speaker 3: She was starting at that It was ninety two and she was starting to get some heat in movies. She worked as a teenager and done a lot of teen movies, and she was really on a roll. And I met her because my wife and they had a mutual friend. And we met at a little dinner party and I went, while I was writing it, I'm going, and she didn't. It wasn't at all. Doesn't look like my wife was not at all what I was picturing. But I left home. She's really intriguing. She's funny, she's lovely. She's just the right amount of goofy and neurotic, just the perfect amount. And I remember I turned to Paula and I said, what do you think of her? As you she want it'll be good. But Helen's fear was that it was, you know, going to be the wife in Gabe Cott and Welcome Back. Got her Yeah, like you know that you ever hear the one about the money. But but we were so saying. She came to my house, he had read the script and then we I said, well let's read it together. And then at that very first meeting, before she had even said yes, we talked about I said, I want to do a show.
Speaker 1: We have to do.
Speaker 3: You know, we had somewhere in this relationship story, one of them has to have an affair or the threat of an affair, and I said, and I figured who said it first, But we each had the same idea, like we have to do one shot, how about a one whole episode of one shot? And we're like yes, and we tried and it wasn't until year five we found a story that could do that. But we had the same show in mind. So thanks for pushing her over the fence. Now it was it was just kismet. I got to do a guest on the reboot. You did us an honor.
Speaker 4: I had a great time and Michael And that's the thing, because we were going to say Mike, Mike was shore, right, Mike Richards.
Speaker 3: Mike Richards did an episode. Yeah, yeah, it's always Jerry did an episode two?
Speaker 4: Did he really?
Speaker 3: We shot for a summer Yeah, we did.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: We did a shot in New York and it was literally a cameo.
Speaker 1: We walked by and.
Speaker 3: My character had taken a viagara and it was very pronounced and you never shot below here, but you could tell something something wrong. And I said, hey, Jarry, walk on the street.
Speaker 1: How you doing.
Speaker 3: He's like, basically there was that.
Speaker 1: And then you lead the weird but big fan. The weird and interesting thing I remember in launching it was Lisa Cooper being on two shows. Yeah, which was fascinating that how did that happen that she could stay on your.
Speaker 3: It's like how did Michael McDonald be on The Dobie and the Doobie Brothers and Steely Days.
Speaker 1: We're gonna talk about.
Speaker 3: But Lisa Kudrou Somewhere in the first season we did a flashback, like you know, to before I met Jamie. I was having I hated blind dates and I had the worst blind date. It was with Lisa Kudro and we just cast on. It wasn't that much on the page. She was so funny. She as we know, but I mean her line readings. We were just having this stilted conversation on a first date and blind date and.
Speaker 1: What do you what do you do?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm a documentary filmmaker. She goes, Oh, that's so funny. I'm a banker. I'm like, why why did you hit that so hard? That doesn't make sense? She was, and we said we have to get her back, and so we made her not that character, but we brought her a back as she was the waitress in the place and I remember the day she said she's going to audition for another show because we only had it for like a few episodes. It was no, we didn't have her, And I said, what's the other show? It's like six friends and they all live in New York in the same building with that's not going anywhere. And then they embraced it. So they made her twin sisters. That yeah, but she she had such an odd, delicious delivery.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned Michael McDonald, You right, it's one of those things that go to Michael McDonald has done my book with Paul Righter. Okay, how does that? How does that happen?
Speaker 3: That's the most natural thing in the world, Peter, you know it's it's not the first comedian a musician uh to write a book. Luciana Patti and carrat Top.
Speaker 1: Did I love that? That was which was the musician He was going to prop opera at that time, and Carrot Top said, I can help you, okay, all right, all right, by the way a book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Leonard Burnsneine and Emo Phillips. So I was a huge fan of Michael McDonald and we met at a silly a party that I was invited to he was performing. It was in somebody's house, and we walked into this Michael like, this guy's doing well, he's got Michael McDonald. Is that his house guest musician? And I just went over to him and started chatting, and we became friends. And I would always ask him these things like exactly that, like I don't understand what you could be in two bands? Don't don't they want to hold on you? And so I would ask him these questions over the years, and then I'd forget the answers, and I said, you should write a book so I don't have to bother you every time I have a question. And he said, you know, I've been approached. I don't know if I even have a story. And I go, you have a story, because I don't know how to write a book. I said, I've written books. I'll help you. So it was it was literally March twenty twenty COVID lockdown. We had nothing to do and we had no jobs, and we both had to figure out how to work zoom.
Speaker 4: It was like then is you can see each other technology?
Speaker 3: And we just we didn't even meet for three years. We just would He spent about a month talking like this, and I'd take the tape, I'd record it and type it up. So it's his story and I just helped him. But it was interesting because he would go, I don't think that's interesting. I go, trust me, that's really interesting. And then other times he goes, this is so fun I go, it is funny. Does not in the book.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating when telling your story, I guess, did you have revelations as you've written books, you've written best sellers, the stuff happened when you're writing a book. It's like when you're writing a script for the first time, and it's like an out of body experience. Something gets written and you go, I didn't know I had that in me.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't know.
Speaker 3: I fired that. Yeah, well in this, in his case, you know, there was new. We were just doing it on spec Let's see IF and I and the safety net. I said, I said a minute, you don't enjoy this, Well stop, I said, doesn't have to.
Speaker 1: You know this.
Speaker 3: It costs us nothing to sit and have a coffee on zoom. But what he discovered is that by the end of it, he said, oh, I do have a story tell Because he is very humble, and he he felt that his greatest stories were having worked with all these different people. I go that in itself is you know who else can say that? I worked with Ray Charles and Quincy Jones and you know everyone else. But suddenly, as the more he talked, these through lines come up where he It was sort of an exercise for him of realizing how did he get here? You know? Seventy two? And he started working professionally at fourteen in a band, in like eighteen piece band. He's fourteen and I said, tell me there's a tape I want to hear fourteen year old who? He said, now sadly deadly? The tapes were in a jacket that was martinized. You know what that's wrong?
Speaker 1: Oh? I remember markin Wow.
Speaker 3: Do you know what that joke is? Hun from the in Laws? Tch flies with beachs? Yeah, did you get picture? They were left in a jacket that was mutt and you bos worked with Peter Falk?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: What did you do with peterful?
Speaker 4: I did a play with a two persons play with Peter at the I saw it.
Speaker 3: I was there, Okay, here's a magic night.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 3: And he makes his entrance from the back of the theater. Right. So here's this magical night. I grew up a door at Peter Fork, Peter Fock. He I just I loved him, and I had this idea for years I've been sitting on and would take a stab at I got to write a movie where Peter Fox plays my father. I don't know what the story is, but Peter Fowk is my father. That's a story. That's something I gotta do. I see you in that play and I loved it. I loved you, loved Peter. I go backstage, I guess to say a lot of you. I didn't know him, and I went and at that I was, you know, I'm mad about you know. I was doing commercials and so Peter says, I love you. I go, he goes, and he goes, I love everything you do. I love your show. He says, I love what you write. And I go and I'm just like, think you think, And he just makes a point, goes, I love what you write, like made it like you said it twice someone, thank you God. Like. I literally went home and I said, I got to write this thing. If Peter fo I mean, it was such a moment of the sky's open up. I said, here's the guy I've been wanting to write for. He doesn't know I've never discussed it, and he's saying, go write it. And then I wrote it pretty quickly after ifter sitting on it for years, it came out pretty quickly. I dropped it off at his house. Somebody gave him told me, Joe Montagna goes, here's his address, and I called him and said, I'll read it. He goes, I'm a slow reader. I said about it. I dropped it off on his at his house and I sid by the phone and he said, I'm going to read it right away. And by eleven o'clock at night, I got I take the dog out, the dog come back phone on the answer machine and I go, I missed it, and I listened to the message, and it's just Peter going, well, we got to.
Speaker 1: Make this thing.
Speaker 3: I went and I and that would have been enough, you know. I was like, I don't have to make it. The fact that he read it, he said it and it was the greatest was.
Speaker 4: Do you have a good time with him.
Speaker 3: He's not the easiest guy, but he took a shine to me. He somehow knew how much I loved him, so I was in a little zone of safety. He chewed to spare the director and anybody else. But I found I imagine you found this true. All he was he was not an ass.
Speaker 1: He just was really.
Speaker 3: Cared about the work, and he wanted to do his best work.
Speaker 4: I found, I absolutely, I believe that's true. I would also go so far as to say, and this might have come with age, because I worked, you know, we worked with him. He was he was getting up there. I thought there was like much like my dad, who would who and they would have been contemporaries. They were not allowed to say, you know, I'm nervous or I'm scared. So it so in Loua of being able to say that everything else was wrong, everything else was not right, The set's not right, the director's wrong. The story is the thing that dad dad, And if you took the time to go, well, what would you like to do? How would you like to fix it? How should we address it? He couldn't articulate. That's how I knew it wasn't those things. Because he's very bright, and he was an artist. He was a beautiful painter, and you know, so he knew about details. If he knew something was wrong, he would have spoken to it. And I found him to be fearful. And there was a complete personality change in him after our first audience. Once he knew that he knew what he was doing to display and it was reflected back to him, he became a totally different.
Speaker 1: That makes sense.
Speaker 3: There was a documentary about Brando and and I love this story that uh that street car on the waterfront, the famous Rod Steiger scene that could have been a contender. Brando didn't want to do the scene right well you know the story I heard it from Stiger you win, no, no please, But basically he didn't want to do the scene and he couldn't articulate it, couldn't articulate it. And Eliot Kazantz was the thing. And he goes, oh, he's got the gun and he's pointing at me, like, I don't know if I wouldn't do all that if the gun is at me, And the director goes, well, what if, like after the first line, you pushed the gun away and Branda goes, okay, it was that simple. The fix was that he is but throw out the whole scene because this.
Speaker 4: Doesn't work and then he didn't stay there to do the coverage Fortier.
Speaker 1: So I'm up one night and we talked about this. Prior to I watched this movie is a problem with people. I had no idea what to expect. And I'm laughing out loud, but what a sweet movie. But reading about you talking about it, if I get this right, you your premise is the people's default or default are at the anger, any discomfort.
Speaker 3: Any two people will put them in a room, they'll find some reason to argue, argue. It's like that all the joke you see that that ano the synagogue, I wouldn't go to. It's that.
Speaker 1: So that was and then and then you work through it and find out if you do hang with each other, you're more like that person.
Speaker 3: They're not well I think you know, I always, I never. I'm not. I haven't read and I'm not well read enough to know the difference between all the religions, and like, okay, but if you take the head of Sunny and you know and she it, so what what is the difference, So the Presbyterians and Episcopas, the difference is.
Speaker 1: What like what?
Speaker 3: And I remember, you know, part of the impetus The impetus for the movie was the Problem with People is the name of the movie. You can find it on iTunes and Amazon Prime. I just wanted to go to Ireland because I loved Ireland and I and I had seen Local Hero, which was in a nod to it in the movie. But I never had a story and I couldn't come up with it. And finally I said, well, what if there's a And I wrote it with a buddy who I never met but somebody suggested him as a writer, and we came up with there's got to be a reason conflict. So what are There's two relatives who've both grew up not liking the other one just because their parents told him not to. It's like, okay, that sounds rich, and how do they come together? So but one of the impetuses that moved me I remember reading a story over ten years ago in Israel. There was a school that was literally down the middle and half of it was Orthodox and half of it was Sectarium. But they shared in the yard. They shared a sandbox, so the little two year old Orthodox kids would be sitting in the sandbox would do non religious and religious people made a line in the sandbox, so the kids shouldn't meet. And I thought, okay, you know, you're afraid that your two year old will enjoy and that's why the end of the movie is children in the Sandbox. But yeah, I think at bottom line, what do people want? Oh, I'd like to not get shot and I to not blow up me too. I'd like my children to be safe.
Speaker 4: Same here.
Speaker 3: All right, so we got that covered. What's the you know? And then but we get stuck on your grandfather said something about my grandfather. You know, I had my family, my mother for years with sort of bad mouth one of my relatives older and I never knew why. And I said, what is the thing? She goes, Yeah, she said something I didn't care for. I said when was that? She goes nineteen forty seven. I went, okay, let it go.
Speaker 1: But what do you so?
Speaker 4: I'm asking for all kinds of reasons, both selfish and not. But what is next for you? And what do you want it? You've I hate to be one of them. You've done it, Paul Rosie, you've done it all. But what do you Is there something that you go? Boy, before I hang this up, I'd really like to do that that kind of a role, work with that kind of person, go back to the stage, do another series.
Speaker 3: What do you think? What do you like? I really I'm a big fan of doing nothing and nothing makes me happy. And they do another I won't see you though as a sitting star. Yeah, but I really love like on a given day. And I've really gotten into last couple years reading, like reading and buying books like if I live to be one hundred, I'm not going to finish the books. I why are you buying? Will buy because I might not like that one. But I sometimes I'll have an idea and I don't have a burning passion to do something. There's a part of me that still thinks I want to do my music, and I've never really somewhere I believe like I have one piece of music or some music that I want to put out. I've done, I've written songs with people, but I think, oh, i'd love to you know, when I hear a great instrumental soundtracking and going, that's the thing that lasts forever, Like Okay, you know he already wrote Cinema Paradiesel, But maybe I could write something that would make you pull over and weep. So that's like a sort of wish, But I don't sit at home thinking where I wanted. I mean, I'm happy to go out and do stand up. It's like I would love that to take off. I would love to play a little bigger and more frequently, but until something comes up, like I'm actually writing a show with my son that we actually sold and I went, okay, this is this, and that it was somebody else came to me. They not the idea, but just the invitation. We'd like you to do a show. You want to write a show with me? Yeah, okay, and we so that even if it goes no where, it's like, all right, I'm gonna write.
Speaker 1: But by the way, for somebody who likes to do nothing, I write a show. As you said, write a show is starting. You got the Boys coming out, you got stranger things coming out. You're probably writing some screenplay that you'll I mean, you're really busy, but you don't think you're busy.
Speaker 3: I you know, I'm gonna let you behind the scenes a little bit. On one hand, you know, you do publicity, and this is this isn't even publicity because I'm not promoting anything. We're just chatting. But du perlicicity. You want people to run out and see the things, and and oh he's so busy. You got to go see this guy. The Boys I did four days a week ago. Stranger Things I did two years ago. It's not like, oh we watched it all on one week. Yeah, but I did it over three years. But you're also stand up.
Speaker 1: You see it.
Speaker 3: They see it like somebody's t shirt. Like in the back, here's the sixty cities they're doing every other weekend. I go somewhere for two days, like, I'm not hurting anything.
Speaker 4: If I sent you the right thing, would you do a show in New York?
Speaker 3: Maybe, because I'm kind of itching to like go to New York to live in New York. Yeah, every time me when I'm there for like a few days and nice to be. I think at this point in life, to spend the six months what a show? A Broadway show?
Speaker 4: Yeah, my life has moved sort of to directing for the theater.
Speaker 3: That was the premise of your episode on the Mat about You. That's right, because like Jason, he goes, I have to get Sigourney Weaver and and so, and he's watching Helen's sister's dog and Sigourney, I forget what it was.
Speaker 4: We remember, Sigourney Weaver was, yeah, we got to run.
Speaker 1: But look at this. The whole purpose of the show was to get you on Broadway and have this thing.
Speaker 3: I understand. I I you know, I never say no to anything, but I mean I never said no to the possibility or something. I can't imagine doing a show. Uh, it's I want to work. And Larry, they gotta be awake, you gotta be limber or wait one.
Speaker 4: Day I will write down because it's a it's a great story. Where and Peter was with me Larry David when he was gonna go do the play that he wrote in New York. He called and Larry and I don't socialize all that much. He called me saying we'll take it lunch. And I go to lunch and I go, what is this going to be? And he goes, so I'm doing the play. Am I gonna like this? And you go, what happens? How does this work? And I literally walked him from day one of rehearsal through all the rehearsals, how it would go, what previous would be like, what tech would be like, good Opening night with that would be like what a bad opening night?
Speaker 1: What that would be like?
Speaker 4: And then the next week and the next week and the next week until I said, about six weeks after you open on a Thursday afternoon, around one o'clock in the afternoon, as you sit in your apartment and you know that you got to leave in four hours to get to the theater, you'd rather drive a nice pick through your own eye. There's no way you want to go down there, and that you would have I had it wrong.
Speaker 1: By about two weeks.
Speaker 3: He he called me four weeks you got to come in.
Speaker 4: And I wound up replacing him in the show because he it drove him out of his mind.
Speaker 3: I kind of feel that not panicking, but like my agent will callim was something I'm going, I'm gonna look at it like ah right shoots and well, you know, I don't want.
Speaker 4: To go there, like or Michael Kaine school of picking up what I mean?
Speaker 3: I stand up, I go, hey, we got it's a great theater. I go, is it two flights to get there? I don't want the two flights.
Speaker 4: I have my personal appearance, so I don't like to change.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to change playing.
Speaker 1: It's a whole William William H. Macy said, there's three stages in my career. The first and when you're younger, Oh my god, this could make my career. The second is how much does it pay? In? The third is do I have to get wet? Thank you?
Speaker 3: Grateful? You know what?
Speaker 4: At least they're talking about us, right, that's right?
Speaker 3: Is it? Don't do that? That'll be the end?
Speaker 4: No, you know what, Normally we wrap up after the show. I've got nothing left to say, right, do you have anything you want to add with?
Speaker 1: Paul leaves behind your back like I loved you more than the blue pants you wore on your special. Thank you very much. Good.
Speaker 2: Now that's another episode of Really you know, Really comes to a close. I know you're wondering what comedians had hit television shows more or less based on their real lives or stand up backs. Well, all, Jerryrigan answer for you in a moment. But first let's thank our guest Paul Reiser. You can follow him at his website Paul Reiser dot com or on x where he's at Paul Reiser. His latest comedy special is Paul Reiser Life, Death and Rice Pudding, available for streaming on Apple TV. Find all pertinent links in our show notes, our little show hangs out on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, and threads at really No Really podcast And of course you can share your thoughts and feedback with us online at reallynoreally dot com. If you have a really some amazing factor story that boggles your mind, share it with us and if we use it, we will send you a little gift.
Speaker 3: Nothing life changing, obviously, but it's the thought that counts.
Speaker 2: Check out our full episodes on YouTube, hit that subscribe button and take that bell. So here updated when we release new videos and episodes, which we do each Tuesday. So listen and follow us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: And now the answer to the question what.
Speaker 2: Comedians had hit television shows more or less based on their real lives or stand up acts. Well, First of all, the transition from comedian to television comedy star was never unusual. Early TV got its greatest boost from the best comedians of the day like Milton Burle, Jack Benny, Jimmy Durante, Jackie Gleeson, and countless others, and television has managed to build huge successes by grabbing great comics and creating a show around their real life experiences and or their.
Speaker 1: Stand up bacts.
Speaker 2: Prime examples include Home Improvement, which builds a whole show around comic Tim Allen's bits about men and tools and the machismo they inspire. Roseanne, which offered a fictionalized version of Roseanne Barr's off stage life and initially borrowed heavily.
Speaker 3: From her working class comedic rips.
Speaker 2: Everybody Loves Raymond starring Ray Romano, which took his jokes about family life and turned them into a hit sitcom. The Bernie Max Show, which took the real life experience of Bernie fostering his sister's three kids and turned it into a television hit. Everybody Hates Chris was a fictionalized version of Chris Rock's tumultuous and hysterical childhood. Comic great Gary Shandling's show was so much of a television transfer of his life that the show was titled It's Gary Shandling's Show. Comedy rapper Dave Byrd aka Little Dicky, found television's success by turning his travails as an up and coming white rapper into comedy gold. In his show Dave. Before finding talk show fame. Ellen DeGeneres hit it big with her sitcom Ellen. That show was such a reflection of her life that her character came out as gay on the show. At the same time, Ellen truly revealed herself to be a gay woman, and though short lived, comedian John Mulaney also played himself on his self titled show Mulaney and I'm leaving out many like NewART Cosby Chappelle, Jamie Fox, Louis c. K, Robin Williams, and Moore because the list is long and formidable, But I have to go out on probably the most successful show ever to feature a stand up comic playing more or less himself, Jerry Seinfeld. In Seinfeld.
Speaker 3: By many measurements, it is one of the most.
Speaker 2: Successful half hour shows in televison in history and earned multiple Enny Awards for each of its cast members. Wait what, oh, oh, sorry, I'm just being told that one of the cast members actually was nominated seven times but never actually won. Well that is embarrassing, but don't feel bad. That guy probably is a podcast and.
Speaker 3: What more could anyone ever really want? Really, it really is a production of Blaise Entertainment.