Speaker 1: This is live coverage op the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control making traffic safe again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred, or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx the new power Move Independence health System expert Care here, Remax Select Realty Visit Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania visit go Laurel Highlands dot com. The Steelers Pro Shop visit shop dot Steelers dot com and buy Caliente Pizza and Drafthouse.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Stealer Nation, How we do it? Well, that's good us too. It is the Bonus our our number three here as well. Along on campus, a quiet campus right now, still no signs of an evening walk through. Matt and I am seeing a bunch of buses across the world.
Speaker 3: I was wondering, what's up with that. Usually that's a Friday night light thing, but.
Speaker 2: I was wondering, this is total hunch here. Total guests. Although and am I crazy? Or do they have some kind of uniforms on and there's some Yeah, So my first thought was maybe they skipped evening walk through in lieu of a team bonding activity. Right, Maybe they're going bowling, Maybe they're going well, they actually did that already did that. Little little inside information for you, little inside information for you. The boys did rent out a movie theater not too far from here a couple of days ago on one of the off days, and they all went and saw The Odyssey. I heard it was rip roaring with a bunch of food and and and and fun flying around.
Speaker 3: How that would be awesome.
Speaker 2: I had the opportunity to do that once they're going somewhere, I was. I was telling this story to h to Reagan and Nate uh who obviously do work on the Steelers side. When I was like fourteen, I think was when the movie Miracle came out, of course, the Miracle on Ice movie, and our hockey coach at the time rented out in an entire showing for our hockey team to go out so well, and same thing. We took a bunch of pizzas in and all kinds of stuff. It was a lot of fun. I can't tell if they're where. If they're wearing like, you know, just their their jerseys, not full uniforms, I think they might be, so who knows.
Speaker 3: Maybe nothing. We're in gold on top and black on the bass.
Speaker 2: So maybe maybe they're going over to Latrobe Memorial for an evening walk through type thing just to get the you know, the setting and used to it over there. But yeah, it didn't look like they were just in street clothes.
Speaker 3: Now. I don't think they're going to like Dave and Busters or I.
Speaker 2: Don't yes, or to the Bowling Alley or something like that. But interesting, looks like we've got a little bit of a different of an evening for the Steelers out here. Maybe Matt and I will do some research later time.
Speaker 3: I bet we'll find out tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, figure out exactly what was going on. But the grounds crew guy's still working out here. No signs again of the of the line painting robot. But we will obviously keep you posted if there's anything interesting moving and shaking in front of us. Matt, let's at the tweets here as we like to do to start the Bonus hour, smooth, Dave says with Aaron Donald potentially unretiring. Are you surprised or disappointed that the Steelers were never able to pull off recruiting JJ Watt or Aaron Donald to play for US.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Donald worked out at the facility. I mean, he's donated a lot of time back, but I don't think the Rams were ever just giving up his rights, you know what I mean where it's I did. I used to throw it out there when JJ had just retired that because coincidentally, right about when he retired is when the Steelers started swatting passes at the line of scrimmage like it was their job. They became the best team of league, and he was the best I've ever seen do it. I'm like, did he teach Cam Hayward the secret sauce for batting down passes or did he teach brother who taught Cam. I thought maybe you could pry him away for one year, kind of like they did with Donald in terms of like JJ just played twenty five snaps a game, you know, keep you fresh. But I think he wasn't interested in playing anymore. He had some injuries late and there.
Speaker 2: Was a time period where I thought that JJ Watt was going to be a Steeler. Now it was well past his bell curve of dominant JJ Watt Yeah, yeah, but there was a time when Derek was here still too, that I thought when.
Speaker 3: Derek was here exactly, I forgot it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, I thought, oh, you could could complete the complete the trio. Yeah, there's a lot of commercials and endorsements that could have come from Matt. What we really need from JJ Watt and Matt and I have discussed this briefly in the past on air, but it's always worth another mention. What we really need from JJ and TJ and Derek is for them to open a culverse somewhere in the greater Pittsburgh region.
Speaker 3: I would like to invest in it. It will do well.
Speaker 2: That would be the best thing that they could do for Matt and I personally, other than potentially winning a Super Bowl here in the next couple of years. Troy says, if there is a quarterback to be traded, do you think it would be Mason Rudolph? Yes, yes, traded, absolutely, sure, absolutely.
Speaker 3: I also think you'll get much for Howard and Rudolph could be attracted to someone looking for a backup.
Speaker 2: It's funny at we were just kind of talking about this in the previous segment, Annie tweets and says, not hearing a lot about Michael Pittman Junior. I know it's early days, but how is the chemistry between him and Aaron Rodgers so far?
Speaker 3: Again, there's not a ton of team drills compared to other years. I'm not even a comment on him like routes versus air and things like that. I mean he's moving well, he's huge. I don't see any issues to be the slaves bit concerned, but we did kind of bring this up. I have not seen like a signature moment or yeah, boyd you see the catch that Pittman made or you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah that I don't think he has been poor in any reasons, but I don't. Yeah, he hasn't done the circus one handed catch type thing either. But still a lot of meat on the bone in terms of what they what they could be doing. Okay, Matt quick possibility here. I wonder if they're going over to the new indoor facility the rec center for tonight's walk through.
Speaker 3: Do you really need a bus to get there?
Speaker 2: Though? No, it's not far, but it's across campus. You know, you gotta watch your staff I wonder if we were supposed to get any rain here in the next No, but maybe they just they haven't used it yet. Maybe they wanted an opportunity to get in there and check it out.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's weird that they'd make a right here that they're gonna go to a dead end bus.
Speaker 2: Looks like it's good we're getting our journalism hating.
Speaker 3: You know what. I think you're right because there was a player on like a motorized scooter that went flying down the hill that he probably just drove himself.
Speaker 2: You think they could let me borrow that scooter?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can see you on it. I'm gonna that's pretty lame to take a bus from here to there.
Speaker 2: Well, it is, I mean, it is, it is. Listen, I'm not gonna watch.
Speaker 3: The entire bus trip from where we're sitting. I don't think you need the bus.
Speaker 2: There, Listen, I'm with you, But this is, you know, this is This would have been a perfect Could you imagine if Punch and Wolf were sitting here with us while this was right they gotta take a bus across campus to practice. You know, back in my day, we'd have to walk up hill both ways six times a day.
Speaker 3: I mean, you've seen it a million times. I have a tiny, tiny bit of a problem, but I totally understand it. When they golf cart the dudes to the calf it's really not I mean, these guys are in better shape than me. I mean they should.
Speaker 2: Here comes an empty bus around the backside of campus. That's got to be it. They've got to be doing. That's what they're doing at the new indoor recreation facility.
Speaker 3: And they drove there.
Speaker 2: Hey, if you could get a ride, get a ride. I guess a lot of steps, you know, I would have if.
Speaker 3: Somebody would golf cart me to my car right now, I would take the ride.
Speaker 2: I would love love to see tounch of Wolf's reaction to what we just to what we just witnessed taking a bus across campus to the endoor facility.
Speaker 3: I know they're not hurting for money, but they had to pay a bus driver to do this too.
Speaker 2: We're gonna do some more digging and find out.
Speaker 3: They really this was really like walking.
Speaker 2: It's a it's probably a ten minute walk, no way, dude, full way down the length of three football fields here. Then then then they make a right, okay, seven or eight minute walk five six. Now, you and I do walk pretty briskly.
Speaker 3: I will say, well, maybe they're wearing cleats and they don't want to. I'm sure that's a big part of it. Okay, cleats, that makes sense. You don't, I mean, you don't want to we walking on cement and you don't. Now it all adds up if you have cleats on that's the reason. That's the reason.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, with doing some real journalistic work here, all right, Matt says, do you see Max eventually getting the starting nod over Dylan Cook prior to the start of the season. Also, which conniment or topping has to be on your burger for it to be good grilled onions?
Speaker 3: I would say yes to Max.
Speaker 2: I think so. I think that's only a matter of time.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's definitely gonna be a starter soon. When they said before the season starts and gave me the slightest bit of pause, and I hope that he's injury as.
Speaker 2: Saying now, that obviously could be a factor.
Speaker 3: But for some reason he doesn't play in the preseason because of it, then that could slow things. Burgers are so versatile. I mean, I think there's a lot of ways to make a burger, But.
Speaker 2: What's the best thing. What's the one thing that's got to go on there for you for it to be good. I think for me it would be grilled onions.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of to be good, but I think I think kosher Dell pickles or yeah, like of lassic dill too. It goes with everything. Like can we do burgers at home? I either make mustard and toppings or barbecue sauce in toppings. Okay, and like pickles, onions go with either. I've been barbecue. Does it go with mustard?
Speaker 2: Ever since I got a Blackstone a couple of summers ago, we do. We do smash burgers like every other week, dude. Just some good just some good cheese, just some grilled onion. Well, good news for you. You are going to Sharky's here in a little bit for for a late show, so you'll be giving you some good food over there. Uh yeah, grilled onions would probably be number one for me, followed shortly by mayonnaise and ketchup.
Speaker 3: I assume you do them on the Blackstone too.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, get them nice and thin and a little bit of butter. These a little bit of butter, you want to know a secret that I discovered. I forget who told me this, But when you're doing like a.
Speaker 3: Good cook griller, I am, yeah, yeah, I am.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty versatile. I'm pretty versaal. I grew up in a family that like refused to ever go out to eat, So we did. We did a lot, and we did a lot of cooking at the house. When you're doing the smash burgers on the flat tops, yeah, like before you flip them for the so you get the good char on them, right, okay, and then you flip them, put some put some mustard before you flip it right on the mustard and the mustard kind of grills into the burger. It gives it a nice crust and everything on there.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you're just teasing me.
Speaker 2: I gotta I gotta have you over at some point.
Speaker 3: Yeah the station.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they'd still be they'd still be good, but it's not quite the same. Uh, mister Steele City says, well, the team wait to install more in depth schemes until after cut down day. Also does Mason Rudolph getting praised by Mike McCarthy have to do with them trying to up his trade?
Speaker 3: Value.
Speaker 2: A lot of questions about Mason's trade value today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know how to comment on the second one. I think the only reason you'd consider trading him is, like we've talked about all off season, is you think Howard can be the two and maybe that's getting to that point where they're really comfortable with him and Rudolph's going to be the guy that is on the outside looking in, assuming they only keep three, because you know two of the four making the team. So maybe what's step one of that? With the question?
Speaker 2: Shoot, now i'm john a blank all about installing more complex schemes after cutdown day.
Speaker 3: No one's told me this, but I've been thinking this for a couple of days. You're like part of me thinks again, Tinfoil hat why Ramsey isn't out there because they don't want the world to know what they're doing with them. I've very seen I've seen very little Noahkowski today. I think was the first time I've seen him like with the ones as a fullback. I don't know what they want the world to know about that either, you know, Like, as your boy Motz always says, there's a lot more training camp left after this and the whole public in the world isn't going to see it. And I'm sure first preseason game they are not going to open up the bag of tricks. And I think they do all coaches do, but this this coaching staff seems so attention to detail. I think they want to make sure you've passed second grade and now we can go to third and these things are probably tenth grade stuff, you know.
Speaker 2: Sudesh says, Bijon is absolutely one of the best players on the planet right now. Remember how running backs are being slandered just a few years ago.
Speaker 3: You know, we we mentioned that second batch of buses going in case you missed the first one.
Speaker 2: Maybe you could get on there and get a ride back to the car and save yourself some steps. Pittsburgh Conversation says random, fun question. I want to know your Steelers Mount Rushmore of linebackers and your Steelers Mount Rushmore of running backs. All right, we got like a minute or two.
Speaker 3: But running backs are Franco Bell, Bettis Foster, The Rushmore is often always have to.
Speaker 2: Be four Rocky Blier. I mean, if you're going by the Rushmore thing, I'll go Foster. Yeah. The three three are very easy to pick three or super easy. You're very easy to pick linebackers. Lambert Ham.
Speaker 3: I'm only going off the ball.
Speaker 2: I'm not doing like yes, Lambert Ham. Kirkland Kirkland Ferrier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he'd be Bell.
Speaker 2: I think so too, and man I Shazier would have been on that list if he would have had a coffee career.
Speaker 3: But people will tell you Andy Russell.
Speaker 2: Andy Russell is a good one. Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 3: I never saw him play once, so I mean it's a little tough for me. But there's a pretty good rush wars.
Speaker 2: Those are pretty good rush wars. Last one of the day goes to well for this segment at least goes to Nate. I need to know. The best non Steelers game environment you guys have ever been to was yours Kyle Field down at Texas A and M.
Speaker 3: Probably I haven't time.
Speaker 2: There's some good one. That's a tough that's a that's a tough question. Nate, the World Cup game that I went to back in June would be on the list.
Speaker 3: I assumed he was talking football, but yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Without a doubt, Penguin's playoff games at the Civic Arena. Yeah, back when that place used to be rocking.
Speaker 3: I mean that that was phenomenal, phenomenal.
Speaker 2: I mean, as much as I hate giving them credit, I've been to a couple of Penn State games out at Beaver Stadium and their atmosphere is incredibly electric. Some of the WV you know, the backyard I shouldn't.
Speaker 3: I was about to not get you going, but I would say the brawls when I was on pit staff were pretty cool.
Speaker 2: And even the w U Virginia Tech back in that era when it was when it was the VIC Brothers, and that was.
Speaker 3: You know, we had a lot of success against v Tech and they were the better team than us every We were a dog every time he played him, and I think we beat him two or three times, so that was kind of cool.
Speaker 2: Yep, those ones are all really good.
Speaker 3: Getting crushed by the U wasn't always that fun.
Speaker 2: I would imagine that was not I would imagine that was not so much fun.
Speaker 3: It was fun to like the scouting, you know, future scouting me looking at the players on the U, going, WHOA, We're in for a long day. You know what.
Speaker 2: You know, man, that's a first round pick. That's a first round pick.
Speaker 3: That's a first round pick, and that guy game on the field and he's a first round pick.
Speaker 2: One that deserves to mention, Matt was that twenty thirteen blackout wild Card Pirates game to win against Cincinnati. Unbelievable, unbelievable that that deserves credit. Generations fans waiting for a playoff game.
Speaker 3: I was on the I was on the sidelines with Pitt for the first ever game in what was then Hide. That's pretty cool. And then very shortly after we came back after an off week from nine to eleven, and that was pretty emotional building. Heck game, you know what I mean. Yeah, getting back on the field after nine to eleven, yep, yep.
Speaker 2: I could. I could only imagine. I could. I could only imagine. And I tell you what, as much as again I hate giving them credit. That twenty eighteen NFC Championship game between the Eagles and the Vikings where Philly just absolutely decimated Minnesota to go on to the Super Bowl and beat the Patriots and win their first Super Bowl. That atmosphere was incredible because at the time the Eagles had never won a Super Bowl. I mean, imagine, imagine Steelers fans if we had never.
Speaker 3: Won a Super Bowl, Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: You're hosting an AFC championship game.
Speaker 3: I mean a good franchise for a lot of years too. It wasn't like they were garbage.
Speaker 2: And I forget who it was for the Eagles. It wasn't one of their bigger name guys. But someone in like the third I think it was early third quarter had to pick six for the Eagles of Kirk Cousins. Uh no case Keenum was a quarterback for the Vikings at that point. Someone on the Eagles had to pick six. That really blew that game open, you know, made it like thirty five to seven and it was over and that stadium I thought was gonna collapse. I mean it was real. It was just out of couse. It reminded me of I wasn't there for the Troy Polamalu picked six in the two thousand and eight AFC Championship game against Flacco and the Ravens that put that one on ice. But you hear the stories about how the building was moving and swaying and shaking that two thousand Again. As much as I hate to give them credit, that twenty eighteen NFC Championship game that I was working for the Eagles was absolutely insane. That's cool, and they obviously smoked the Vikings and went on to win their first Super Bowl in franchise history, which we all liked because it was against Tom Brady and those sticking Patriots. Matt, that'll do it for this segment. We are way overdue for a break here, but we'll see if we can hit some more tweets before the end of the show. Keep those rolling in. You know where to get at us if you want to get involved. Euler Williamson. It's the Drive All part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Please please live coverage Jump Dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp by the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bod Light, Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control making traffic safe again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx, the new Power Move Independence Health System Expert Care here, Remax Select Realty. Visit Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania. Visit go Laurel Highlands dot com, the Steelers Pro Shop, visitshop dot Steelers dot com and buy Condiente Pizza and Drafthouse.
Speaker 2: Rolling along here down the home stretch of today's show, practice number seven in the books for the Pittsburgh Steelers and Matt you know. Funny enough, there's two newcomers that I don't think we've discussed much, and we've still got plenty of time to do so. But on offense Michael Pittman Junr. On defense about Joseph Day, and I think it's understandable in a sense there's been so much new standard operating procedure out here. We've really been covering run.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I think everyone's always so interested in the rookies, right who were kind of hitting their first crack at NFL football. But we definitely need to talk to some more Michael Pittman Junior as we roll along, and Sebastian Joseph Day as well. I know you really liked that edition, and I think he could be flying under the radar as a key addition for this defense real quick.
Speaker 3: On Pittman, I have no worries about him. He looks great, out here, he says, had like a signature moment, you know. Okay.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: As for Joseph Day, I really like it because he can play all across the line. I think he'll mostly play some nose. But I always look at guys like remember Chris Warmly, you know, like he was like the fourth or fifth guy, like the second guy off the bench. If that's Joseph Day, You're way better off than you were in those days, you know what I mean. I think he's gonna be really valuable. He's basically a starter, and I think he's caliber player.
Speaker 2: Basically a start caliber player. He's versatile. What that's going to allow for guys like y A Black, for Keanu Benton.
Speaker 3: Those are the two I think are the ones that really benefit.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, maybe even someone like Derek Harmon as well. Since we haven't discussed Sebastian Joseph Day very much, he actually spoke after practice his obviously first training camp out here on the campus of Saint Vincent College with the Steelers. Here's what the new defensive lineman had to say.
Speaker 5: It's passionate because it is it good to be annoyed on here like the son of that Oh yeah, I think it's annoyed. That means, you know, we're making each other better, and you know, shout out to Troy and shout out to the Mace. You know those guys are you know they're doing. They're very talented young players, and you know, I see why while they're starting at what year two? Rightther both of your two players or your three? Yeah, so actually why you know they they do a really good job. They're really good, fundamentally sound, and you know they do oligneman, do help each other out or if they are supposed to. So, yeah, they do a really good job. Shot to them, though a little more.
Speaker 4: Aggress today baseball for yesterday, Did you guys react to yester year's practice today time?
Speaker 5: I'm gonna yesterday we had a solid day. We had a real solid day, and I think, you know, I don't I can't say if we had a better day or not. I felt like, you know, a lot of guys had had passed orsewise, he had a lot of sacks.
Speaker 4: For some solis.
Speaker 5: But but I don't know, I don't, I'm not really sure. I gotta kind of watch the tape. I can't say, you know, I really can't say it was a good back and forth. I felt like today, you know, to be honest, I don't really want to talk about that. I'll let kind of you know the DC handle that you know, I think that's his, that's you know. I don't want to you know, you see what you see and you know you can say what you want to say about that. But it's fun. That's all I gonna say. But I want I want to let him inser that you said.
Speaker 3: That's something that you notice.
Speaker 6: I wanted to be a stay dad want.
Speaker 3: A pactice today?
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely, you know, I feel like, you know, I felt like again, it was very back and forth practice. It was very lively. Guys were getting after it. I think, you know, the with the compete period that started off. Then we did inside run that you know that he kept like building. It was really good. It was really competitive day. It was a lot of great work, you know, and it was very back and forth. You know, I had a lot of I had some really good reps and have some reps you know that I feel like my technique could be a little better. I think that's what kam sall about is about. Fine Town is Sharper and Sharper in the tools and you know, iron sharper, iron sharpens iron.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so I think how do you simulate how do you.
Speaker 5: Assimilate the tackling. That's such a great question. That's a great question.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: I just feel like it really comes down to mental strain, you know, like when you are getting those positions to like when you can you know, te off on the running back or if you can making sure you know, eyes are low in a blood football position and the legs are bent, you know, face mask up, you know, and uh, just really focusing on tagging off or like studding you know, and uh and you know, once it goes live in wanst Be then you can actually put that all together and actually you know, come through through your hips and stuff like that. So I feel like it's a real it's a real mental thing that you have to focus.
Speaker 2: On making its Yeah, it's.
Speaker 5: I think that's real fun. It makes it super competitive. I think it's also because the juice is going. You know, it's because the juice is going, and I think it makes it It makes it unexpected. That's what football is, right, Like you don't know, like obviously you prepare, you work your butt off, you feel good, you know, the plan looks good, everything looks good, but sometimes the offense comes out and does something completely opposite, right, and how do you respond? How do you respond as a defense? And I think that period is awesome because that's why it simulates. It simulates, you know, a real game, you know, down down fourteen zero.
Speaker 4: What are you gonna do? Right?
Speaker 5: A sudden change? Sudden change and now you're on you're on your five yard line. You gotta get a stop?
Speaker 8: What do you do?
Speaker 5: And I feel like, though, that is really gonna help us prepare for those moments. Like, to be completely honest with you, I was, I was so locked in on India. I was, we were so locked in on our India. Then we heard the music, were like huh like oh, you're like, yeah, let's go. You know, it's just like it's just like it is like a pop quiz, but it's fun.
Speaker 3: It's fun.
Speaker 5: It makes it fun. It brings the juices. You know, you gotta lock in. You know, you gotta tap into something deeper and bigger than yourself. You know, try to get a stop because thirty Oh, they're doing such a great job. Man, those guys. You know one thing, I really they remind me so much of myself, like when I was coming up like the Rams, like my first year, starting my first second year and third year, like how bad they want it, Like they're always like trying to be first in line. They're always like you know, they're sponges. Like then they're and and they work their asses off man. And again I have, you know, nothing but just praise for those guys. Y a man or black man calling big black callin why a big black black man, buddy is a freaking wall. You can't move that guy, and it's so impressive. And again, all those guys are doing such a gret job.
Speaker 3: Did you see that.
Speaker 4: Plays when you see that.
Speaker 2: Really press.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just I just think, you know, this guy's a limit for him, long, tall, athletic. You know you can see he's really he's really trying to work that edge, edges. He's doing a really good job. You know, again, this guy's a limit for all those guys. And knew, you know new he's so quick, you know, plays with a real low center of gravity, good hands, strong hands, always on the steering wheel. He never we rarely see his hands outside honestly, like it's so cool because he I was when I was at the Rams. I was an undersized nose too, you know. And seeing him play, it's so good to see it because everyone thinks he gotta be like this three hundred and like sixty manmoth of a man to play that position. But no, it really it's really just skill set and the skill set and just technique and like being a technician. And I feel like he does such a great job. Also, he was rush ahead. He does a great job rushing on edges. So and like I said, why he's a wallman. Black Man's boy, Blag is just a wall I mean, you're not moving him. You're not moving him. And he does such a good job. Man comes to work every day. These guys. Again, I'm excited, y'all should be excited because I'm a old man, you know, hopefully I'm here for a while. But the future is right for y'all for a very long time with those three.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Sebastian Joseph Day one of the newest members of the Pittsburgh Steelers defense. There after practice, excited to see what that guy is gonna bring to the defensive line and both sides of the trenches. Now, Matt, I think We're very confident that they're in as good places as they've been in a while with the higher end talent and with some real depth options on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, improven commodities too. I mean, I really like this pickup.
Speaker 2: I do as well. We're gonna get to our final break here, last segment to go. On the other side, we'll hear a little bit from Mike McCarthy and we will wrap up the day's proceedings here on campus of course, Saint Vincent College, Weshuler, Matt Williamson. It's the drive all part of our ongoing training camp coverage here Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage up the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control making Traffic Safe Again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx the new power Move Independence Health System Expert Care here, Remax Select Realty Listen, Remax Select, Pittsburgh dot Com, the Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania, Vi Said Gold, Laurel Highlands dot Com, the Steelers Pro Shop, the Said Shop dot Steelers dot com and buy Condiente Pizza and Drafthouse.
Speaker 2: Final segment of the day here for us on the Drive and for all of our nine hours of coverage every single day on Steelers Nation Radio. Matt, a couple of big days ahead here for the Steelers, and of course Saturday night lights on the Horizon this weekend. A couple questions to just surrounding the health and status of a couple of the Pittsburgh Steelers that we discussed at the open of the show. Here is all the latest, all the information, all the need to know from head coach like McCarthy.
Speaker 4: It was our mock game format and then recharge program for the players just to you know, try to give a chance to get their bodies you know, uh, you know recovered and all the things that go into that. But yes, uh, you know what is what Monday Tuesday was installed three and three, three and four, so we reviewed everything yesterday. So it was a good review day. You know, just keep ponding away, you know, conceptionally and hitting all the situations these next to the you know, this next three days uh segments huge for us. You know, this is a I've always looked at it as kind of the hump week hump part of the training camp, you know, a chance to get up to two and a half hours of practice. So we'll do that today, you know, use the use it the whole time. And we'll do install five today, six tomorrow, and we review with down town. They're in Latrobe Saturday night. So this is a big three day segment for him. And you know, and this is hard on the young guys, you know, because they're getting a new game plan every day that they got to you know, be ready for study and then go exercise it, you know, in a competitive environment. So we're making progress.
Speaker 9: Like when you signed Jim Mail, Dean, what did you like about it?
Speaker 4: I like, I just you know, obviously you look at his physical rates, his length. You know, I played a few games against him down there in Tampa. I remember playing against them early in his career, and well, I just think his his experience and you know, his play style fits us, smart player and I think this. You know, once you see him and once you've seen him out there, you know, once he got back from the injury. You know, he's he's definitely what I thought he was.
Speaker 3: Well, why is added some size?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 4: What do you think about his potential? And notice how I'm sorry to he. I mean, obviously you know the ability to anchor. You know, he definitely moves better than I was aware of, you know, before I got here. So you know, there's a lot there to work with. So you know, we are a three four defense and that's our starting point. And you know, the ability to stop the run is always at the forefront of how you want to play and definitely play in our division, so you know, but obviously, uh, you know, if you look at the number sub sub defense is important. So the ability to play in the four main lines is is where he needs to continue to grow.
Speaker 9: Is there is there any other examples of guys you mentioned, like Hya where when you got here you looked at the film or whatever you did the review last year and now you see him and you go a little better and.
Speaker 4: You though, either hand, oh, definitely, and that's that's normal, you know, I mean, Mason would be the first one. Mason Rudolph just I can't I can't tell you how pleased I am with him. You know, I just think, you know, quarterbacks play a while in this league, you know, so the experience that he's gained, I think is incredible, incredibly valuable to us. But you know, the footwork's different. So now now that anytime you ask to know an experienced player to change you know, footwork or things like that, and it's fundamentals, and he's he's doing a really nice job. So throws are better than I knew, you know, just and I think, just like anything in the quarterback room, you really don't know to you stand next to him, you're out there on the field, that really how each guy throws the ball. So but yeah, there's there's always examples. Mason was kind of the first one for me, having a chance to work with those guys in a quarter school. At one point, your third Saturday is a scrimmage? Is that the Saturday night lights? It's a normal practice for us. It's yeah, I'm I'm you know, we are in you know, concept installed mode. You know, this will this will get us through six you know, six outy eight. You know, we we have eight installs that we that we use offense and defense and special teams where we feel like everything's in you know, it's uh. So we'll complete five and six uh this week and then we'll we'll get seven in there on Monday and then uh move on to Green Bay and get ready for the first game. But you know, we we won't complete the you know, the eighth installed til you know, prior to the Jets game.
Speaker 5: So, Mike, you guys had.
Speaker 2: Your first I think mojo moment on Tuesday with the Monday Night jingle playing guys running down and doing those goal lights snaps. How did you come up with that?
Speaker 3: And what's the origin.
Speaker 4: Behind the name. Well, it's new and improved, so it's the Franco moment actually, So uh, Mojo's an old term, you know after Austin powers. You know, when you lose your mojo, you getta jump back in there and sudden sudden change, you know, situation awareness and know exactly where you are. So you throw it on the players. They don't they don't know what's coming. So but uh, in honor Franco Harrison and really recognizing the greatest playing NFL history in the maclu reception, it is now the the Franco Franco moment. So we'll do it every time. I just was waiting until we got to a point with the padded practices where we can, you know, because because you want it to be as competitive as you possibly can. So we'll have it. We'll have it at some point today early in practice.
Speaker 2: Why do you evaluate how they did in their first Franco moment?
Speaker 4: Definitely, No, they did a good job. I mean it's you know, it's four dons. You know, you got to have it at the end of the game to win the game. So we have to, you know, sometimes take it, take it to video because there's a lot of debate on if the offensive defense of one I think on two of the place. So uh so that's what we do, and we'll keep track.
Speaker 10: Mike, your first step short, you have been most of his defensive end. Is that a fluid situation or is that the position? I wouldn't put a lot of value into the depth chart. You know, I told you how it felt about Bird earlier and our start here with these press conferences. I was severely criticized for my language. I apologize, but now you see why I say what I said about him. So that's Bert's depth chart.
Speaker 7: Mike with with with Jalen and Joe not on the field. How impressed if you've been with the Sante throughout the first week.
Speaker 4: A great point. I think every time his name comes up, it's just a huge first impression with me starting back in the spring, he's obviously there, you know, every day, great energy, you know, all the way through the off season program. You know, love his ball skills, his instincts and his awareness. I think he's had I think he's had a great off season. I think he's having a better training camp, so it's been really good for him. But you know, position flex so I think he's having a great camp.
Speaker 7: I see somebody that you would have worked both on the outside and nickel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he's definitely a position flexibility player, clearly.
Speaker 3: I guess do you players know what a Franco moment is or did you have to do a little bit of tea?
Speaker 4: No, it was easy, you know, but it was kind of cool. Now I showed them that showed them the uh you know, the history and told them about the history and the plague. It was kind of cool to see it in the color because I remember watching it black and white, you know, when it happened live. So but no, yeah, definitely told them the history of it. But it's it's it's just really, you know, what you're trying to do as a coach, You're trying to create as many situations as possible where you know, because things change in the game. Do you haven't flow of the football game? It's an education, you know, and you get it, you know, at its peak in real games, and and that's what we try to do. We try to simulate those those situations the best we can in practice.
Speaker 6: Is there any update or timetable for for the pup guys or even Sean Ellie you're getting.
Speaker 4: At the full speed or you know, we had a meeting shoot, you know, Monday afternoon, so you know, everybody's making progress. So there's there's no high concern for any any of the guys right.
Speaker 11: Now anywhere else. Mike, you have some good competition at right guarding and right tackle. We see some of these guys flashing certain drills in practice. What are you looking for in those competitions that are you're gonna say, Okay, this guy's going to be my starter.
Speaker 4: I mean really everything. I mean I talked about the concepts where we're in we're trying to install so I think James Camping and his group do an incredible job. Is not only you know, the intensity of the fundamentals the techniques were using, but the volume. You know, that's why we're doing you know some of those drills were too spot in it, just to get it on video, capturing as much as we can because that, you know, that's what camp is. You have the time, you know, you're away from home, just to really dive in there. And I've always said this training camp video in my in my time in the league is the best video because you know it's we get to go against a number you know, top notch defense, and you know there's competitions against common players, so which is which is tough? So just to be but get get those snaps on video and then continue to particularly with the young guys, just to continue to teach and learn and then you know and obviously their ability to capture all their video and also learn off the older guys too. So this is just a great time of year for.
Speaker 7: That Mike from what you saw in minihand for Mass how different of a player once the pads came on?
Speaker 4: Are you not great point? You want that you want to see everybody wants to see what the rookie is doing. They put on pads and he definitely passed that test.
Speaker 3: Mike, He's anything.
Speaker 4: Cut your eye with Peyton Wilson since you can do yeah, I mean his motor, I mean just I mean number one, I don't know how you don't notice that. You know, he's you know you can see in the spring. But it's it even goes up in pads, which which I love that about Peyton. So, but you know, the communication of that group is critical. You know, all your all your decision makers, communicators on both sides of the ball, you know, whether it's the quarterbacks, the safeties and the you know, the green dots. You know, so him him have an ability to do both. So but very pleas Peyton, like, what.
Speaker 8: Are some of the things you look for, uh, set in this setting to see you feel good about a team's of your offensive ability to run the football? Well, of the things that happened in practice make you say, Okay, this is a this is something that's tangible that we're gonna see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, this is this is the only chance to get to practice it. So that's why we do it every day. You know, we We obviously have a first and second doult period that will do every single day. But then we have a you know, we call it phone booth, you know, running pass. So it's uh, you know the nine on seven year old from the pass is that you know, it's it's usually tweaked one way or the other. So the ability to line up every single day and run the ball when everybody stadium knows you're gonna run, and stop to run when everybody stadium knows you gotta do that every day. So being able to highlight that is definitely important for us, Like.
Speaker 6: You two eleven to eleven periods going once. It's it's so simple, and you know it's funtle. I guess, is that something you've always done? Is that just the way to maximize reps that you can you know you video, you.
Speaker 4: Can watch it. Yeah, I wouldn't say I've always done it. I think, just like anything, been blessed to be a head coach a long time. I mean that you know, the CBA in twenty eleven and then second one in twenty twenty, it makes you makes you take a step back. I think I talked about the three thousand plays a year. You know, where my history and my personal standard of how I feel you need to train a football team comes from. So you know, I'm just you know, making sure I hit that target.
Speaker 7: Mike, you talked about your oppression of Mason uh in terms of Drew. Obviously it's only been a few months, but what can you say about his progression from rookie camp up until now.
Speaker 4: He's doing what you want from your from your young player, especially your rookies. You know, it's these are these are tough practices because you're not just repeating concepts. You know, you're not out there getting totally. I mean, you're there's there's calming out. You know, it's there's common things that they're doing, but it's you know, you're not locked in where you know he can get you know, rep after rep and you know, see the same thing over and over again. You know, get four defenses to one one pass concept. So I think here's not there has not been a day where he hasn't made a throw. Did you see? Okay? You know that's that's a young man taking a step.
Speaker 11: You're asked about Peyton Wilson a littent ago.
Speaker 2: You know, he's talked in the past about trying to become a three down linebacker and carved out his niche at first sub packages, he's.
Speaker 9: In his coverage.
Speaker 6: What we need to do to prove to you that he can be that three down player.
Speaker 4: Trust, well, he definitely has a skill set. I don't have any doubt about that. And I think, you know, there's an excellent competition there and and I think also you know, not only just him and the linebackers, but he's also competing against some of our defensive backs. So we want to we definitely want to be multiple in our sub packages. You know, that's where high percentage of the game is played. Matchups are critical week in and week out, and really how our opponents play and and and how we have to match up. When it we will really dictate some of those things will go. So you can't you know, you can only project so but the most important thing for us is to have Peyton and all those guys ready to go.
Speaker 2: There's the boss, Mike McCarthy putting a bo on the day's proceedings for us here on Steelers Nation Radio. Matt another good day, yes, and looking forward to practice tomorrow, leading into what's always a high energy, highly attended a couple of days here for the Steelers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it should be a fun couple of days. Today was great again, good weather, good atmosphere, pre psych Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Maybe we'll see a little more physicality tomorrow too. Still waiting for backs on backers. Maybe we'll have to wait until Saturday night for that, but we shall see. But that will do it for us today. Big thanks to Ed Troup. My goodness, he's hosting like seven shows and engineering five today. This man's putting in yeoman's work as always. Big thanks to our guy Justin Miller for producing Back at the Ranch for Matt Williamson. Unweesshueler. Take care everybody, and we will talk to you tomorrow. As always. You know where to find us. It's on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.