Speaker 1: There Are No Girls on the Internet. As a production of iHeartRadio and Unbust Creative. I'm Bridge Tad and this is There Are No Girls on the Internet. Welcome to another edition of our weekly news roundup where we get into all the stories from the Internet that y'all might have missed so you don't have to. And I am so thrilled to be joined by honestly one of my favorite podcasters out there, Ed Zechran of the Better Offline podcast, where you've just started a three part series on business idiots. Tell me about this series.
Speaker 2: Well, I've noticed throughout my whole life that there have been these people throughout the rungs of power who don't seem to do jobs, and on top of that, don't seem to understand jobs. And it's all come to a head. It's taken a few years. It's started with remote work, it went to crypto, the metaverse AI, all these people with all of this money who don't seem to know a single fucking thing about anything. And then I went and looked back and I kind of went, oh, it traces directly to neoliberal thinking. Milton Friedman, Thatcher, Reagan and all that good stuff. So it's a three part saga. It's the longest series I've done in the show. People seem to really like it. I wasn't sure how they'd take it, and I just built a studio out in my place in Vegas and I recorded it there. So it's a bit totally different people used to because before this point I had this sound chamber thingy where I just stood in it and I just yelled for an hour. This is much more chilled out me speaking like an almost like sitting by a campfire or a dumpster fire in this case.
Speaker 1: That's something that I've always liked about your podcast is that you can often hear the passion in your in what you're saying, and so I'll be interested. This is this will be an interesting change. I also record from a I used to record from a soundproofed little box in my apartment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's exactly.
Speaker 1: It can really let loose in those little boxes.
Speaker 2: But I quite like the city. I'm just as pissy. It's not like I'm any It's not like I'm any less angry, but I'm a lot more comfortable. I think that's what it is like. I don't have to stand up, which I actually like for diction reasons, like for projection, but I can handle it sing down. It's just it is more relaxed and more I really like it, and people seem really happy with it, which is good because usually they just send me pictures of knives.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have to ask you about this piece in your newsletter, which is terrific. Where's ther ed at? You write so beautifully about what the Internet and technology has meant for you personally and how you really would not be the person that you are today if not for technology in the Internet. And that's kind of one of the guiding principles of our show too, is that the Internet has really been at the forefront of who I am, how my younger self sort of learned how to show up in the world and become a self actualized person. But do we still have an Internet landscape where that kind of self discovery and self actualization is genuinely possible.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's just that their land minds everywhere now there are Before what it was was when I think, I think with similar ages. So it was before a little more open and a little more disconnected. It was just it was more randomized and it didn't feel like there were so many warring incentives other than those of just individual users or admins on forums. Now you have every step of the way a different incentive, or multiple ones just bashing into each other or trying to have sex on your computer. Like you'll go on a website on your phone and your phone will be one hundred and fifty degrees within two seconds because there's twenty one different ad trackers. But then even with I feel like algorithms, mentioning algorithms is almost cliche at this point because it's so obvious. But even then, you've got people on forums who are actively trying to scam you. And the large problem is, ironically that while there are all these warring incentives, the actual all people who run the Internet have never had any responsibility for it. They've made all the money off of it. But it's not like Google or Facebook, and indeed both have kind of peeled back layers of protecting people from spam and scams. It's not like they've ever thought we should make sure this is good. They did for a minute, I think they did for like the first ten years of Google, maybe the first five six years of Facebook, but they then went wholl whoa whoaah, this isn't going to grow forever. We need to fuck with it, we need to make it worse. But I do think that that self discovery is still there. YouTube, even though it's a complete nightmare with the algorithm, is incredible. It really is still incredible. It fuckings. I wish anyone other than Google owned it, Lockheed Martin Hanoi, perhaps Wow, like a more ethical company than Google. Yeah, at least we know what they're doing. I think the YouTube still has this incredible educational side, and you have all of these incredible niches on there. You have guys making covers of songs in the styles of other bands. You have people I saw someone making like a wood ice cream on there the other day, Like, there's still this magic there. The magic at the end isn't dead. And I think that the problem is is that to get there you have to go through like bobed wire or bobbed why. You don't realize is sharp until it's cutting your throat.
Speaker 1: The thing that I love so much about this vision of the Internet that you lay out is that you're able to make these business decisions that tech leaders have made hyper personal for people. And I don't know it was almost like a rallying cry of like yeah, like never forget how these fucks ruined the like tried to ruin the Internet to make money, Like like never forget that we had something that was kind of good and people decided what if we fucked with it to make money?
Speaker 2: And that's the thing. It's these people, their power has come from their relative anonymity. Well, we know who's sachur in the Della and Sam Moltman and Sunda Pashai and all of these people, we know who they are. They have mostly just got glossy, they get glossy profiles, and they're mostly unknown, when in fact I think they're turns about to war criminals. We know who Mark Zuckerberg is, But I don't think people realize Mark Zuckerberg's bad thing he did was not just his outright sexism or stealing the website from the Riverboat Twins the Winklebot bosses. It's the fact that it's not just a wiged people that he's led to getting killed. It's not all of that. It's the fact that at its core, Facebook is a tool that's used to hurt people. Now, it is used to manipulate and twist them. It does not have to be that way, literally doesn't. Because Mark Zuckerbet has complete controlled the company. He could tomorrow turn off all monetization on Facebook. The stock would crash, but there's nothing anyone could do. They couldn't fire him. He controls the whole company. He chooses this. And I think what people don't realize is they kind of ambiently know these people suck. They don't know what they're doing and why they're doing it and the intentions behind it. And I think that educating them on that is important because the more that that happens, the more that people realize this is deliberate, the less likely they are to get such a free ride in the press. And they only care about the press. The press is such a powerful thing with them because they've got all the money in the world now they just need They just have their names, They just have their legacy. So fuck that legacy. I'll piss on it.
Speaker 1: Piss on it, you do it on your podcast beautifully eloquently. Okay, Well, because I'm talking to another tech podcaster, I kind of have to start with my dessert a little bit because a podcast that we piss on a lot on this podcast is the All In Podcast, And I mean your face just there really says it.
Speaker 2: All and need a show.
Speaker 1: Okay, So last week, obviously we talked about Musk and Trump's big breakup flight update there, which is that Musk did tweet that he regretted some of what he said about Trump. Everybody was talking about this. But the All In Podcast, which you might say, is hosted by a group of business idiots. You know, it's one of the biggest tech podcasts in the world. It's like four Silicon Valley invester types, one of whom David sax Is Trump's like AI and cryptos are. They were notably silent, and all their listeners were like, what's up? Like why are they not putting out an episode on this? Like where's the episode?
Speaker 2: I do love that though, I do love that their listeners to this day continue to win the Fell for It Again award. Yeah, it's like, I don't get it. Why are these guys not being honest with me as they've done like hundreds of craven obviously like very much corrupt things, but they are business idiots. By the way, David Sach's famous for selling fucking Yama to Microsoft, an internal message to Shamath is actually evil. Shamav is one of the original people who built the growth team at Facebook under Sheryl Samberg, Naomi gLite, Jacob Yakob Olivan I think his name is Javier Olivan, possibly Las Backstrom as well as part of that all of the original shit heels that made Facebook how bad it is today, Well thanks to Shamav. But yeah, these what are those freaks up to now? They just they're not talking about the Elon breakup because they don't know which which daddy is going to kiss them that week, Like, I don't really know what they're doing.
Speaker 1: No, And I have to say, it made me really appreciate what you do what I do, that that we have actual press and podcasts that get to talk about what's happening, get to be actually critical of technology. And I guess it just made me realize how much tech press fails. It fails their audience, that fails as listeners.
Speaker 2: I'm like, And that's the thing though, I think the all in podcasts are genuinely harmful. I think they're bad for society. I think they've done horrible things. I think they're tiny in the comparison to the harm that Kevin Ruce and Casey Newton do with hard Fork tell me more. I think hard Fork. I think hard Fork gives people permission to support the powerful. Casey Newton's boyfriend works at Anthropic. They've had Dario m a Day or Warrio as I call him, the CEO of Anthropic on their three times they've had multiple different Anthropic and they disclosed that Casey's boyfriend works there. The fuck is going on there? Every time? I'm bringing this up with everyone because it's insane, It's totally disgusting, and we have The New York Times pretending like this is somehow okay. They are in the pocket of the AI companies they regularly put Bruce himself is one of the more noxious and genuinely bad for the world people who he did a whole thing on a company that claimed they were excited to replace jobs. They were just going to replace humans in jobs. But when you looked at the articles, it just went out, never built anything, Remember built a single fucking thing. They were like, Oh, We're gonna do a working environment to train models, and Cabri Ruster is like, goddamn, I'm so scared. I'm so scared. He did a piece about Agi. I said this on Blue Sky. It's like it's like one hundred millionaires or billionaires decided they were going to track down and capture Santa Claus. Agi is impossible. It does not exist with the day. We do not even have the beginning of understanding of the intelligence of human beings. So, yeah, all in sucks. All In's awful, noxious, terrible, poisonous. But hardfork is just as damaging and quite frankly, Neili Patel over at the Verge fucking speaking with Brian Chesky and Task Rabbit CEO unbelievable. Sunda Pishai goes on there and he gives him one hundred and fifty word questions. No, it's not just all In. It's really convenient. Actually, I'm not saying you're doing this to just say all In is the problem. No, the problem is is that we have people like I run a PR firm. I don't do anything with anything related to my clients on the podcast. Ever, well News that same deal just because to keep them file. We have the some of the biggest tech podcasts which are kissing up to Brian Shesky, They are kissing up to every AI founder. They are literally co hosted by someone who is going out with someone from the second largest AI company. This is our tech media, this is our tech podcasting. It's said disgrace when I a part time blogger and podcaster who runs a PR firm and the most ethical of them all. That's insane. What is going on? How is this the world we live in? The answer is business idiots. It's because the people that control these publications do not actually connect with the means of production and have any or have any real interest or fundamental understanding of the things they're talking about. With the exception of Neli Pateel, I actually think he knows better. I just think he likes he wants to be friends with them.
Speaker 1: Oh that's even sadder. Something to me is like, these people are all so wealthy, and at certain point, what's the point of having fu money if you don't use it to say as well anybody.
Speaker 2: I don't think Ruth Newton and Neli Patel are like, fuck you money. I have no idea about the oil in guys months definitely read oh yeah.
Speaker 1: I think I think they're like, I mean, what what constitutes fuck you money?
Speaker 2: To me?
Speaker 1: Somebody who has none of it? I think yeah, less than what they're.
Speaker 2: Thinking, like one hundred dollars, seven hundred dollars. No, it's like a hundred million, like like there go, I think that's a good solid Like I can't think of even how I'd spend half of it money, like yeah, other than to create the all out podcast and then just like ruin their seo just like just like just like do nothing other than like dark seo operations to make it impossible to find this.
Speaker 1: What a dream?
Speaker 2: Actually? Lex Fridman. Lex Fridman is the most insane one. He's the top of the Tech podcast despite not covering tech, and he is the worst speaking person ever. He is so bad at talking.
Speaker 1: I am blocked by him on Twitter for I have no idea why.
Speaker 2: I mean, I love him because he goes like he was asking Donald Trump a question. He was like, bolitics, he is a dead game and I was like, there there, how do you win at that game? And it's just like May, May, did you not practice speaking before? Is this your first time? Is this your first It's like that is the Lex Fridman podcast. It's just his first rodeo. Every time he's like the guy from Memento, but it's with speaking. Welcome to Lex podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, your Lex Treadman is so good.
Speaker 2: It's it's I have all the impressions down. I really want to go on Lex Fridman three hours with me and Lex. I think I could have some real fun.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, from your lips to Lex's ears. Maybe hot unblock you and then you can just ask.
Speaker 2: What you would do podcast on line? You you you right, keyboard and every I have tried the best one though, by far. Did you see the Lex Friedman Destiny debate? So he debated this horrible fucking piece of shit. Sorry no, he hosted a debate between Destiny's terrible far right twitch streamer and Norman Finkelstein, and it was like three I could not watch more than ten minutes of it. But what kept happening was Norman Finkelstein, who is like a has some views that and some not. I don't really know too much about him. I don't want to get into it, but it would be like Destiny going like he talks, he talks like the road Runner, and then Norman fincal Stein would just go miss the for really, your your words and your Wikipedia they touching me on every day. It's like Satan is pissing in my ears and he gets his name wrong every time. That was great. Lex Fridman just sat there the whole time, probably being like, who are these people? Why are they in my house? Why do they What is this in front of your foot? It's a microphone, lex microL God. I want to go on his pod so badly. Oh, I want to go on his pod so badly. I want to go on Lex Fridman. He'll never have me. He knows, he knows what's coming now, he knows I'm turning up in full joker makeup like it's also.
Speaker 1: They're like four hours long. I don't know whoever I am.
Speaker 3: I can hang for three hours, four hours, put me in. I'm ready the eleven hours I'll be. I'll be that just like on next legs we're doing that else? What else do you want to talk about?
Speaker 2: Legs? I got nothing on I had. I had fifteen hours of sleep in pre operation for this. I've been preparing, I've been training. He's like really like he does like MMA or something.
Speaker 1: They all do some kind of a physical fitness activity as their hobby, but you can tell they're like never normal about it. They never are doing it in a chill way. It's always in some weird way.
Speaker 2: They all do like really joyless working out as well. You can tell that they're just every fucking time they do it. It's like they're either in pain or they're taking like nineteen different substances. Well, none of where they drink like they probably drink the the butter coffee, yeah, I proof coffee, real pervert mixtures. Yeah.
Speaker 1: These are the people that we want in charge of our like tech ecosystem.
Speaker 2: These are the people that could speak for everyone, normal normal dudes. More.
Speaker 4: After a quick break, let's get right back into it.
Speaker 1: Earlier, you mentioned some I don't know, we'll say, false claims that are being made about AI. So let's get into some of these stories. You probably saw this, and I don't think I have to tell you, but did you know that Meta's chatbots are not actually real people? They didn't. If a chatbot is telling you it went to grad school to learn about therapy, it's probably not telling you the truth because it's not a person.
Speaker 2: I'm shocked.
Speaker 1: So Democratic Senators Corey Booker, Peter Welsh, Adam Schiff, and Alex Padilla are asking Meta to investigate what they call latant deception from its chatbots who basically lie about being licensed therapist. This coming from exclusive reporting from one of my favorite journalists, Samantha Cole over at for for a Media shout out to Smantha Cole. So basically what happened is that four or four initially reported that metas chatbots were creating the false impression that their licensed therapist. So these senators sent Meta a letter are basically saying like, please stop doing that. The letter says that Meta is deceiving users who seek mental health support from its AI generated chatbots. So basically, when you would ask the chatbot like what they what qualifies you to give me mental health advice? They would say very specific things. They would say, oh, I got my doctorate in psychology from an American Psychological Association, a credited program, and it's had ten years experience, and they would even give out specific license numbers. So it's like very specific, untrue claims. It should go without saying for listeners that these at thoughts these AI bots probably did not go to college because they're not human and obviously they didn't go to college. It does seem like Meta might have tweaked this because according to froll four. Now when you ask like what gives you the qualifications, the chatbot will say like, oh, well, I'm not a licensed therapist, but I am trained to help, which I guess is like a little bit more accurate.
Speaker 2: Well, did you see the story about that you could get them like they had things where they'll talk to children about having sex. Yes, Jeff Orwar it's the goat over a Wall Street Journal with that one. I mean, this is all a fucking result of something I've been saying for a while. Hey, when we don't regulate any tech ever, perhaps they're going to do whatever they fucking want without restraint. I don't know, just an idea, just the thought, just a little little nugget in my head saying like maybe if we don't stop them from doing anything, and in fact encourage them at all times, maybe they'll think that they can do anything and then do it. And then we're like, hey, here's a strongly worded letter fuck you.
Speaker 1: Yeah boo. It makes me sad that that's like the best we can do. Is like these dems sent a letter that was like, hey, can y'all stop? This is actually not cool. We would love it if you stops.
Speaker 2: Hmm, I don't like it. Please stop fucking just like at this point they should just stop punishing. There must be more than a government of any kind of even people in the government it's currently being trodden on could do more than this. But I think right now the Dems are just like, fuck, who do we kiss up to? Now?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh, we can't kiss there? Or asks who's asked? Can we kiss the people that vote for us? Ew? No, never, oh no, we need to find a powerful person. Is there any more powerful? Maybe Mark Cuban? We kiss Mark cube It's just fucking pathetic. This should like have the child sex thing, should have had someone put in jail like that is like, if you make a robot to fuck children, you should be in jail like a pedophile. I don't know, it feels pretty fucking simple to me. What shocks me is that this is like a radical statement within that oh that people.
Speaker 1: Who build robots that have sex with children should face some sort of yeah, or try should face some sort of meaningful coquen, Yeah, there should be a consequence.
Speaker 2: And people are just like, yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: I agree with you completely, and we kind of beat this from on the show all the time, Where do you think it comes from that? In any other context somebody that did that, would you would be like, well, obviously that person can't be out on the street making business decisions. What makes people kind of shrug their shoulders and say, well, it's business, what are you going to do?
Speaker 2: Tech and money? It's because people, because the twenty years of the tech and business media treating businesses like they're special has led to people treating businesses and tech like they're special. That's it. No regulation means that we have no way of controlling these people. We had one shot with Lina Khan and that shot is gone. We will happen in the future, I have hope, But right now we are getting the consequences of unrestrained tech. And yeah, you can say unrestrained capitalism. The reason I don't say that people are like, oh, you should just talk about capitalism is people have done a shit ton of that. But right now, when you look at the way the media discusses technology, it's an alarming lack of ignorance, but also alarming lack of like morals, Like the fundamental tech behind most of the growth and not the real growth is in like the theoretical growth. The market inspired vibes is based on a technology based on stealing, environmental destruction and just unrestrained communication, just completely insane stuff. You can have any conversation with these spots and people say, well, you can't restrict that, because then we'd lose freedoms. Yeah, like, we're not losing any right now. And on top of that, what are we saving. Well, they could do this, so we just let them do anything just in case we don't try. We don't try and stop them. It is impossible to stop large language models existing anymore. It is possible to punish those who put them out there in an unrestrained fashion. If someone chooses to they need the AI bubble to pop first, then they In fact, I'd love them too. I think they should all be punished.
Speaker 1: Do you see this bubble popping? Because I was reading earlier about how like this new Apple research paper are basically debunking these claims that like oh LMS, they can perform se reasoning like like, I feel like people who make money from AI are lying to us about AI's capabilities, lying to us about AGI. Sam Altman was just lying about the environmental impact of AI earlier this week. Do you think we're getting to a point where it's like the lies and the reality might start meeting each other a little bit.
Speaker 2: Nope, emphatic, Well, no, nothing has changed in the last year. Nothing. The paper you're talking about was about reasoning models. So the only trick they've had in the last three years, frankly, they had GPT four. Oh that was the big thing with multimodal stuff, so we could see it can't think, it can't see, it doesn't exist. It can take in video and look at it, can see visual data and say that. I have a reaction to that. Lax language models are kind of cool, Like what they could do is kind of interesting. We're denying that would be silly. They can't do much more than they can today. And that paper talked about how reasoning models don't fucking reason. They don't have a concept of reasoning. But really, I like to make this real simple. What's the product? What is it? Where's the product? What is the thing that we're all meant to be replaced by? Even you're having art directors and copywriters replaced with it. You're having screen screenwriters who are having their work looked at by AI. It's kind of like what happened many years ago with HR with resumes. They found a way to do that but with words. But other than that, where's the fucking beef, where's the product? Where is it? Agents don't exist. Every time you see someone see agent, shoot them. Sorry, I mean every time you see someone say agent, they are lying because they're trying to say agent and make you think, oh, autonomous thing. Autonomous And what they mean is chatbot, chatbot that can sometimes connect to other systems and can't even fucking do that. That's the crazy thing. That's the craziest thing. That's why I sound so crazy, because you look outside. You go and look on THEO and CNBC, you go look at tech Crunch, you go look at all these publications, and you see them going agents. Agents. Agents aren't the agent coming, They're not coming. They don't work. There was a study that came out of Salesforce I believe, that said that agents fall apart on multi step queries. You may think, what does multi step mean? Multi step means more than one action. You know, tends to be what happens when you do something. Yeah, and they can't fucking do it. They fall apart. The reasoning paper talked about how these things fall apart if you make them think too much.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I loved how it said it breaks down when the face with an unfamiliar problem, And I was like, oh my god, just like me, Like I feel the same.
Speaker 2: Been there, but yeah, no one has built the economy on my back.
Speaker 1: Yeah like no, yeah, no one is saying I'm going to like change the economy because I break down when faced with unfamiliar our novel problems.
Speaker 2: I'm but also, let's get simple again. Where's the product? Where is it? Because that's my proof. There's no fucking product. Everything is the same thing we were talking about six months ago, twelve months ago. Oh agency no, they're not. Stop lying to me like that's the thing you actually like. People love to come to me and say, well, actually the Microsoft's called I know. It's like, no, they don't. They do, but it doesn't do much more than it did a year ago. The only way Microsoft is able to make and Google is able to make money on AI is by forcing people to pay for it. Forcing people to pay for Google Google Workspaces. They raised the price, they've raised it months ago, but they only just emailed everyone about it. People quite pissed off. And that's the thing. That's what really is cooking my brain right now, is I still have people in the take media. You say, well, AI's here, AI's the biggest, most smartest thing ever. Look at coding. Yeah, I looked at coding. I had a guy called Carl Brown from the Internet of Bugs on the other day. The whole thing is people think that software engineers just code. They think that that's their whole job. They think that that's all they do. On top of that, the code that's written by these things is not reliable enough to just sink into production. It may speed up some workflows, but even then, what workflows does it speed up? And it's pumping the internet and software companies full of shitty software, and on top of that, none of it makes any money. It loses so much money. It loses billions and billions of dollars and it makes no money. Microsoft is going to make thirteen billion dollars in twenty twenty five. You may think that sounds like a lot, but they've spent hundreds of billions of dollars in capital expenditures in the last three years. It's a fucking fast. It pisses me off every time I think about it, and people are still to this day trying to smuggbeck did you see and it's usually something that doesn't exist. It's like, ed, check out this, we made this new life form and it is just the Ninja Turtles movie, and it's just what the fuck I'm it. It's like arguing with a child, except children have more fundamentally sound logic. Every day, every day with this bollocks.
Speaker 1: I remember going to South Bay, Southwest a few years ago and the thing everybody was talking about was NFTs. It was like nftis everywhere, and then going the following year and it was like, we never did that. That what you're talking about NFT. It's like how quickly this was. We were being told this was like the big thing, this is.
Speaker 2: The big thing, but they couldn't work out how to do that NFTs with. If Google and Face and Meta and all them have actually found the NFT thing that more than one person would buy, they would have done NFTs if they thought selling, buying and selling pigeons was the next growth market. Every some darpish I would be saying, you cannot underestimate the pigeon fucking Jensen Wong of Invidea would be breeding pigeons right now. In fact, that's statuely the most insane thing so our economy. The US stock market is about thirty five percent made up of the Magnificent seven stocks. And I always fucked this up as Tesla, Google, Microsoft, Meta in Video, someone else Microsoft.
Speaker 1: I think you said Microsoft, but we'll let it fine.
Speaker 2: Nevertheless, whoever they are, nineteen percent of that is in video. In Video's entire I think like eighty eight percent of their revenue is based on selling GPUs for AI. What do you think happens when that stops happening? And also people are saying, well, well, they're growing so much quarter over quarter. Are you fucking telling me that in a year's time, based on this growth rate, this will have to happen and Video will be selling one hundred and something billion dollars of GPUs a quarter, which means that all of the rest of the companies in the Magnificent seven will be sending them one hundred billion dollars a quarter. Is that going to happen? So everyone's going to raise their capital expenditures. I'm the crazy one for saying this isn't going to happen. Anyway, when I'm right, people are going to eat ship.
Speaker 1: Well, I do have a question. I mean, it kind of relates back to what we were talking about with the tech podcast landscape. It's why do you think I mean, is it just money and influence and proximity to power that keeps the people who ostensibly should be telling this story telling the truth about these things that you're that you're talking about from doing cell Like, why are so few voices saying these things?
Speaker 2: I think there's a few things. One, I think people are way too differential to the powerful. They are also undertrained, under mentored. They are not rewarded for doing a good job. They are rewarded for keeping the status quo. The status quo is AI. So everyone's talking about AI. They are as massed heads across all publications almost they are told don't harsh the flow. They're not told those exact words. But they can't sit there and be like, hey, it's all this bullshit is all they could like, all these companies are making more money than ever, but the things they're talking about allies. They can't say that. They have to be like, well, why are they talking about AI? They can't be lying to us we can't start there, We couldn't possibly suggest that. So there's this natural deference that everything starts with. But really just basic education of finance and business is just not fucking there. In most of the tech press, there are some that are good at it, a few of them, very few of them. Kevin Russ is actually one of them. He knows better. The fact that he chooses to do this is truly disgusting. Same with Casey Newton. Casey Newton's one of the best business journalists, or he used to be before he did whatever this is. And you've got people out tomorrow at CNN, one of the best business writers out there. She's saying everything I'm saying. She sending it a little bit better in some cases been on the show already. There are people saying this. It's just for the most part, and one wants to harsh the flow. No one wants to lose access. And they are an alarming amount of people in the ipatow who want to be friends with the rock stars. If you've ever seen Almost Famous, Yeah that that wonderful scene with Buster Scrugs the.
Speaker 1: Case, Yeah, yes, well no.
Speaker 2: Leicester Bags, Buster Scruggs, I've got Will that's what I'm calling myself. I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's someone though.
Speaker 2: Let's someone though. Let my brain working in both brain cells, dueling to the death. There, No, it's you, don't. You don't make friends with the rock stars. And people want to be friends with the rock stars. They want to be the first one to get to hear the latest thing that they have to think. I know that sounds very like nineties cliche paranoia, but look at what's happening and tell me otherwise the fact that you And it gets back to the business idiot thing though, because you have this editorial substrate, these editors that are just like they haven't no fucking shit, but they know what the powerful say generally is right, even if it's not, even if it hasn't been right. They just they want it to be right. And it's much easier to sit there and be like, hey, it's going to be big now, especially when the whole economy is doing it. You might think, I don't know, as a journalist though, when the whole economy is based on something kind of flimsy, maybe you want to tell people about it. No, oh no, keep got to keep out at Disneyland open and the thing is they are gambled. Honestly, both me and them are gambling. We're gambling. I'm not gambling. I'm basing it on logic. But they are betting that they are right and that the powerful will prevail with AI, that AI will suddenly turn into this thing that does not exist, that AI will become despite the fact that agents don't do what they're meant to, that large language models are terrible at taking distinct actions that large which models are unreliable and hallucinat And on top of it, none of this shit makes money. It's horribly unprofitable and people don't want to pay for it. They think that all of that will get fixed because number is going up right now because n Video keeps selling GPUs. That is the only real metric that is keeping this bullshit alive, because it's sure asn't fucking business. There is an analyst that something beck I think. Laura brann at Yah, who Finance wrote this up. He said that he estimates Amazon will make five billion dollars in AI revenue this year, not profit revenue. They spent one hundred and five billion dollars or planned to on capital expenditures in twenty twenty five. The fuck is going on? What is going on? Why are we hearing this and being like sounds good to me? Or it's the early days. It's the early days. No, it is not. We are three years in hundreds of billions in capital expenditures, more money than has ever gone into any movement ever in the tech industry's history, has gone into generative AI, and we are where we were in twenty twenty three, and people need to wait the fuck up. It's embarrassing. It's very embarrassing. And when this ship bursts, and it has to, it has to because putting aside all the technology, you really think people are gonna buy that? I think it was like forty something billion dollars of GPU's last quarter, So next one they're gonna be forty eight, I guess, and then in a year it's gonna be what like eighty something. Is that gonna happen? Is that gonna keep happening or is it gonna slow down? Because they also don't have anywhere to install them right now because they assents don't pop up like weeds. No one looks at reality. It drives me insane. But Robert and Sophie let me yell every week, so I may.
Speaker 1: Robert and Sophie of Cool Zone Media friends of the show, and I'm gonna say friends irl. We actually did a mini series collaboration with them about online harassment called Internet Hate Machine. We love Robert and Sophie at this podcast.
Speaker 2: No, those two encourage me constantly, Robin Sophie ever it calls out, and they're fantastic. They all they're very supportive. They fucking see it and it's just I'm ranting. I realize them.
Speaker 1: No, I love it. It's it's honestly nice to talk to somebody who rants about this shit as much as I do. I guess because it is. It is very frustrating to sort of tell the same story over and over again and feel like no one's listening. You were talking about the sort of connection of business reporting. Did you see that piece in the Wall Street Journal this week that really shed light on X's new strategy to woo back advertisers, which is essentially just yeah, just like threats and extortion and like threats of lawsuits.
Speaker 2: So for fucking cool. Yeah, very cool.
Speaker 1: I mean, like it reminds if you've ever seen one of my favorite movies, Goodfellas, it's what mobster Henry Hill calls like real grease ball shit, Like this is real, like mobster threat of extortion.
Speaker 2: Sure, Verizon should have just been like, go fuck yourself, Elon exactly.
Speaker 1: So that's what I found very shocking is that it's kind of working so essentially for folks who did not see that piece. The Wall Street Journal reported that their new strategy to woo back advertisers is to threaten them with lawsuits, and so it kind of works. Like Verizon, which had not advertised on X since twenty twenty, pledged to spend at least ten million dollars this year and if they didn't, X was going to sue them. The same with Ralph Lauren, the fashion brand, they agreed to start spending more money and ads on X because of the threat of lawsuit. The Law Street Journal said that at least six companies had either received lawsuit threats or were motivated in part by pressure tactics and have struck ad deals with X. And yeah, I mean, I part of me kind of gets it, because who if you're running a business, who wants to be tied up in a lawsuit with somebody like Elon musk Oh.
Speaker 2: This this is quite literally, this is quite literally a nambas game. They went, this will be cheaper, It's be cheap. They're probably not wrong, and they are right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just is interesting that some of this kind of sounds like straight up extortion one of the things. Yeah, I mean, and I also feel like, how embarrassing is it that you would have to extort these brands to want to do business with you, these strong arm tactics.
Speaker 2: This's embarrassing. But here's the real simple point that goes back to what we were just talking about. If we had a functional business press would be able to fucking shame these companies. The business press should say, you got extorted by Elon Musk, what are you doing? They should describe this story as extortion, But they're afraid of getting sued. Now what like this is the thing right now? The problem is that the right wig is willing to throw a bunch of money at shit. There are rich liberals. They just don't fucking care enough. They don't think they'll be sent anywhere. It's depressing. I mean, the idea of like praying for a rich billionaire to save us is kind of fucking ridiculous. But none of these companies had to do this, they could have all rolled over. They could have rolled over. They could have also made it difficult if one of them had made it difficult. I don't think they're going to super Horizon. Riison could actually materially harm Elon Musks, All of them could. It's just that they go, nah, it's not worth the fucking problem. Ten million, that's we could and they can probably eat the duct the off of taxes somehow. It's just it's very it's very depressing, very very depressing.
Speaker 1: It is. And I think when I look at what's happening with civil society organizations that are find themselves in the same arena with the Musk, like Media Matters, a media watchdog group, who Musk is suming like they're engaged in this big back and forth lawsuit and he assuming them for basically doing their jobs producing research into how X is moderated. There are organizations that don't have the money to be like will We're not going to back down. And then those are the organizations that are actually standing up and being like, we're gonna fight this. This is bully tactics. We're not gonna, you know, roll over. It's interesting that the companies that have money and power roll over immediately, Displayball immediately. And the organizations that don't, those are the ones who have to like take the pressure and be like, yeah, we have to stand up to him again.
Speaker 2: Functional business press there's never been, or at least if that has been, is very been, very weak, any real corporate accountability in the media. There is reporting that's quite excellent. Look at the Wall Street Journal, Jeff Horwitz, part of the team he did the Facebook file. Is incredible reporting there. But there's not people just saying, hey, this fucking sucks. Fuck you, what are you doing with a large enough platforms what I'm trying to build Because the thing is, these companies have more money than God. All they have is their names. That's why Verizon did this, because Verisen went, we won't get that much blowback in the press, but we'll get a ton of easy riding with the markets. The markets will love this, and they probably did. It's ten million dollars, which is nothing to Verizon. It just sucks, and I know that there's far more than could. They should be government, like a government of some kind that stops extortion in some way, but lacking that, a functional business media would say, and it used to exist, you go and looking like the two thousands. They used to rip the shit out of people. It's awesome, but that just it went away. And I think it's really easy to say, well, they're protecting advertisers. It's really easy to say, well, we don't want to piss off the advertisers. We couldn't possibly. No, it's fast, impler. They want them to win. They support the powerful. What they like the companies. They want to keep saying nice things about them. They don't want to say mean things about them, because then the companies wouldn't like them. It's really fucking sad. People love companies, not regular people. The media, yeah, they want to be the ones that tell you the story of the powerful far more than they want to hold anyone accountable more.
Speaker 4: After a quick break, let's get right back into it.
Speaker 1: This is gonna sound like a very weird analogy, but one of the places that I sort of got my start in media was celebrity journalism, and right, it reminds me so much of this where is that it is exactly that I mean it is. You don't you don't want this celebrity to be mad at you because you want to get the exclusive, you want to get the pictures, you want the access, so all you can say it's fluffy bullshit about the celebrity. It's like why celebrity journalism It is essentially dead, but it used to be like juicy and good.
Speaker 2: Well I think it still exists in England sadly because the way they do celebrity journalism is that they commit crime.
Speaker 1: It's they're like going through like a runaway garbage.
Speaker 2: They do like missus doubt fire situation to get one story. It takes them seven years. They become your child's best friend as a means of stealing your mobile phone. No, it's it is like journal gossip journalism, except it's not even good gossip journalism. Good gossip journalism still exists. I say good in a qualitative sense. Morally pretty horrifying, but it's it is everyone wants to be friends with the rock stars. They want to be the first one to talk positively about something, because people love reading positive news. Not that you give them anything else, not that you ever talk to your readers or see what they think. One of my favorite things to do, by the way, go on the verge and go and read any AI story. Read the comments the comments they don't like gay are then they're not enjoying this. It's almost as if real people are really disgusted by this stuff. But it is gossip journalism. It's you will talk to reports and you will say to them, hey, so you're covering like AI for example, and well you write about open AI and you seem to know all of the guys' names and all of their histories. What about the finance? They lost five billion dollars in twenty twenty four. What do you think of that? They go, oh, I don't deal with the numbers. Oh, I'm not a finance journalist. Can you fucking count? And they can, but they just they don't want to touch it. Because when you start thinking, ah, this company open Ai, they seem to burn billions of dollars and they keep they don't have enough, they don't bring in more, They lose more money than they bring in, and they need more money than anyone's ever had before. Is that a statele No need to think about that. They released a new model type it up. Send Sam Alton made a blog send because they want to be the they want to be part of the party. And then there's this bullshit where they're like, oh, yeah, well it's clicks. You want to get clicks. But the readers want this, The readers want what you give them. You can sure readers might not like you if you don't cover the most popular thing, but you don't have to cover it in this tripe way.
Speaker 1: No, you don't have to be farning like that's I don't think anybody's any reader is demanding that.
Speaker 2: I think that there are some that do, and they're very loud, and people are stupid. They're like, oh well, people in the valley say fuck them, fucking asshot. Fuck you. If you're an investor or an engineer in the valley and you're like, no, you need to talk positively about AI. Why do we have to prove ourselves to you? You're selling to me. You sell to me. I am the buyer. I am not. You are not the buyer. I don't have to prove myself to Oh you don't understand it? Fuck you. Also, if I don't understand it, you're doing a poor job explaining it. It's not my fucking fault. Chat GPT is changing everything. How how instead reporters just go chat? GPT is changing everything. It is growing faster than anything before. They're completely right, So did the coronavirus Like, I'm just like, look, we could. We took the coronavirus seriously in a very different way. It's just it's frustrating because I was not trained in economics. I didn't go to a well known school. I didn't get great I got decent grades in university, but like I got terrible grades in high school. I'm not like, I don't consider myself a super smart person, but this stuff is out there. It's obvious. It's very obvious. Even if you load chat GPT try and make it do your job. It don't work. Don't do it. I have a spreadsheet heavy job. I would love a computer to do it for me. It refuses.
Speaker 1: It's funny that you mentioned this. It took a lot of time, and it's trying to get CHATTYBT to do a spreadsheet related task and it was just a waste of four hours. I should have done it myself.
Speaker 2: My favorite one I did recently. So this is a company called Manus m A and us I called Manus. That's what I'm calling them now, Manus. So they claimed to be like the first agentic platform, and so what you do is I asked them to be like, get me a list of every article that has run mentioning me in the last two years. It took ten minutes, and every single step it coded Python to do. You could see it just like burning resources. And it came back with ten articles. Oh god, there is over one hundred in the last two years, and I'm okay, there's more. You've missed a lot. Came back with another nine. It's just like, I love living in the future. But that's the insane thing. If I was an investor and I saw this, I'd be freaked the fuck out. I'd be like, oh boy, we're all doing this. It's like finding out everyone at the party but you shit themselves.
Speaker 1: That's a good analogy, it really is.
Speaker 2: And you're just like, do what I should. I there is everyone else doing this? Is that good? And they were like I love it, and you're like, I'm not good, but I don't know. I'm just I'm so tired of it. But I do think I will prevail. I don't own any stocks, by the way. That's my other thing. That's the other thing. People love to be like, oh, you're just doing this because I've got no, I've got nothing, nothing of late no. And that's that's the scariest thing I'm doing this just the level of the game.
Speaker 1: Well, And I have to tell you one thing that AI has been doing kind of sex successfully is really polluting our discourse with like fake social media images because out of LA, I have to say, like so many of the obviously AI generated images showing LA this past week as like a flaming, burnt out healthscape of urban wreckage, which is pretty different from the actual photos I've seen of folks protesting. And I'm from DC. I remember very clearly in twenty twenty people when I would be like, oh, live in DC, people would be like, oh, I've seen pictures online of like isn't DC just on fire now? Like so sorry about your city? And I do, I mean, I want to talk a bit about what's happening in LA, because it has been a whirlwind of disinformation, both AI generated and not. Like one of the images I saw was a still image from the movie Blue Thunder, the action movie. Like the way people will slip in these images where it's like I know this image that's not.
Speaker 2: LA, and I think that's more prevalent than the AI.
Speaker 1: Slaw totally a thousand percent. One of the images that is that I see a lot is this picture of a palette of bricks where it resurfaced in that protest in LA where someone posted it to x saying it's civil war. Democrat militants are flooding the city with palettes of bricks. So the image is actually it's not AI generated, it's a real picture of bricks, but the bricks are from like a materials wholesaler based in Malaysia. But that same exact picture was floating around DC in twenty twenty, and it was supposed to be evidence that like paid protesters and George Sorows are floating into this into Democrat cities to cause violence. And I think that you're so right that even though there are these AI generated images that are meant to create a certain narrative about what's going on in cities when there's protests, I do think it's more like cheap fakes where the image is real, but just the context around it is not correct. Yeah, And I.
Speaker 2: Think that there's also a bigger problem, which is how can I put this people who are not racists, people not on the right wing have no unity or solidarity behind any given message. I think that there is a large part of them that will throw anyone under the bus for their own safety. And on top of that, I think we're way too attached to this concept of objectivity. I think people are too scared to say the truth, such as, I don't know they're marching fucking soldiers against US citizens. That's fascism. Seems like a fairly obvious one. But the New York Times is like, men with guns approach people something on fire.
Speaker 1: So the New York Times have got to be one of the biggest offenders. They're so passive.
Speaker 2: It's them, but it's also the people in power. It's the Democrat senators are like, we will hold them accountable how I don't fucking know. But people are like, oh, we needed Joe Rogan have left. We need to put tens of millions of dollars into politics that talk about podcasts that aren't pod save America? How about that? How about we need to we need to put my idea and have a newslet are going out, but there's on Monday. It's like, I don't know. Look at what the right or even the center right has look at like the Barstool Media, for example, there are parts of Barstol's like a racism chart. You've got the Fortnite, Yeah, but you've got things like the Yak which are kind of like unclear about their goals or anything. But it's just five guys just sitting around being like a thats whats and like they seem to like each other. And people are like, how the fuck do they do it? How do they build these things? It's like they found five people who are entertaining to watch, and they gave them a lot of money and build a build big fucking studio that looks good and they stream regularly and they give them lots of money and lots of promotion. How did it possibly work? Here's my idea Western Kabuki. They're a podcast with June Juniper, trans trans woman.
Speaker 1: I've better guess down the show.
Speaker 2: I love w K point is, find them or someone like them and give them like five to ten million dollars, build a studio, give them national production, give them fucking advertising budgets, some radio and TV really push it. Those people will begin to move. People left. The reason that people are so freaked out by fucking trans people other than being incurious morons is they're not used to seeing them. You show a trans person just fucking existing and talking and having fun, people gotta go, oh, I as seen one of them before. That's a regular person. They just happen to be trans. You normalize this stuff by making it normal. And you want to have a Joe Rogan of the left, heavily fund someone with those principles and then let them cook, let them build a network. Instead, everyone wants to go and try, and they're like, what if we were gonna here's a pitch deck. We need four million dollars for data. Did you see the Democrat pitch deck?
Speaker 1: By the way, I did see that pitch deck. It came from a group called the Speaking with American Men Project, and they said they were willing to spend millions of dollars up to twenty million dollars to better understand how to appeal to the modern man. Well meaning, sure, but let's just say I don't think it.
Speaker 2: Was well received. So fucking funny. I love like, they need two to four million dollars just for data. If you put that in a pitch deck, they should kill you.
Speaker 1: Just straight execution, no trial, poison, but I mean it brings it. It really raises your question of like, what are we doing here? What are we doing here? Like it is. And I also think to your point about sort of not needing the Joe Rogan and the left, there's only a certain amount of people who are going to sit down and listen to a political podcast, right, and so like you really need people who are like doing sports content or makeup content, beauty content, muck bangs, whatever it is. Like wherever people are already at, I think that's where you have to meet them. And I also think that we're good at that on the left always. I think that we, yeah, we want to spend four million dollars just researching the issue as opposed to actually doing anything that's going to be meaningful or useful.
Speaker 2: I think it's that. And also Joe Rogan is just an app, like just a big click and that they're a little throat clearing. Joe Rogan's horrible. The people who hasn't a horrible but if you actually listen to him. There's the same with THEO Voon. It's like you never sit there and go like, God, this guy's really talking down to me. You don't sit there and think, fuck, I wish you'd ask. I think that people in general really do not understand that we as human beings regularly forget things and regularly don't understand things. We regularly are just like, fuck, what's a how does stop? What is a stock? Like like a really obvious thing? And Joe rogen goes like computer interesting, Jamie brooking up a picture of a care Yeah, yeah, it's just like you don't get the sense that he knows anything, but he makes he asks the questions and he gets decent answers. He's able to keep him going for three hours somehow, and he is affable and friendly and happy to see them. There's I don't know if you call it charm, but it's at least they seem to like enjoy each other's proximity. It is it becomes political, but it is not inherently political. So people get all tied up, and how do we recreate that by getting someone who's a good interviewer and giving them lots of money and also look at his fuck it? Same with theovon. Look at their production. Look how good that production is. Look how nice it is? Why don't you build that? Oh? What pod? Save? America. Fuck pod Save America. Fuck them. I'm sorry. We mean every fucking time, every time it feels like nothing's happening. It's so condescending. Did you see the David Cross John Favreau interview? Now that was my foot, So David Cross said Jon Favreau on his podcast, and so he goes through his book and there's like the three of them goes through and there's the guy because I don't remember Johnny's and David Cross just like you got Jon Favreau and John Down and John Fevau has no idea what the fuck to do. And it's just like, yeah, if you if your big book that you're releasing for your very important podcasts that you care about a lot is ghost written, how am I meant to think you care?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How am I meant to How is anyone meant to equate?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: How do we get young men? Oh? Young? We don't have anything like that that has the budgets of a Theo Vonne or the Yak or anything barstool. Look at Espianation, probably the closest we've ever got. And Vox just mostly enjoys taking money away from them. And that's the thing. These organizations don't exist because no one wants to fund them. They don't they want to. Joe Rogan have left despite realizing that it took years and years to buil Joe Rogan and a shit ton of money that he had and other people gave him. If you actually fund these things and put money behind them in all of these cases, I don't know if they are sincere, but they certainly fucking come off that way. It's probably fake. They're very good at lying. I think they're probably sincere towards the beginning. What if we had a very well funded kind of like leftist and the term leftist is even a problem because it's like, well, what is a leftist? Miserable little pile of secrets? I guess, like, I don't fucking know. How about you get together a diverse group of people who enjoys being around each other and they chat fucking shit in a really glossy, good video forward thing with a good social team that knows how to cut them. They do fun things. I choose the Yak because it's like the weirdly centristy cart like it. They just they just kind of enjoy like big cat in them. It's fine, fine, to watch like, I don't really love it. It's just I'm frustrated because the solutions are actually really obvious solutions the wrong word. The starting points are very obvious.
Speaker 1: You don't need four million dollars to figure them out.
Speaker 2: Actually I disagree for something else. Yes, you don't need research, you need money. Shove money into fucking million dollars of advertising budget a year minimum, just fucking create magic. Do you think all of the top podcasts on the podcast charts are there because just because they're good or is it because they're famous people or had a bunch of money. It's really easy to do this. You could do this tomorrow if you really fucking wanted to. You could choose someone and just be like, that person's gonna be it, and they're like, oh, who will be the who cares? Who actually cares? Start creating content like the Theovons, the Acts, the Joe Rogan's of the world that resembles people who aren't just white guys who there are tons of dating trans people, tons of entertaining black woman like yourself. It's just like there are tons of paper you could just fucking pick, put them together, throw the money. Well, if it doesn't work. Yeah, I agree, let's do nothing then, yeah, let's just sit here and let's pay another consultant that's a better Kinsey needs their body.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like a better way to spend the money. And having come up in some of these sort of democratic establishment circles, they love to be like, oh, we need to solve this problem, but we are not interested in sailing. We're not interested in spending a little bit of money. If it doesn't work, that's it. We can't try anything else. It's it's so off defeating.
Speaker 2: Also, it will work. I will. I'm sorry, I'm a dumbass. And at CS I propped I popped up like a five day long talk show at CS, and I cobbled it together as I went. It was some of the best fucking broad I'm not being arrogant. It was some of the best fucking broadcasts I've heard. And I made it, and I made it with no planning, And it was because I thought, I know these people are no questions to ask them. I'm not even positioning myself in any way. I'm saying this took I think the combined cost of that just to to say some stuff like sixteen thousand dollars total that was with a gear equipment, hotel rooms, and that was because it was the wow cs Like that's the thing, like you can and I budgeted that myself, by the way, But that's the thing. It isn't actually that expensive to do these things, and if you put real money into it, you could do something fucking incredible and you could absolutely. Do you think people want to hear your Rogan interview?
Speaker 1: These people got No, he's not a good, very good interviewer.
Speaker 2: Like I don't know if I agree.
Speaker 1: Tell me more.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's a smart interviewer, But I think Rogan is able to ask these questions that put people at ease, and he gets detailed, aren't weird answers out of them. He is able to relax them, probably because like there's one brain cell just like pops on and on like a light bulb question and he's like yeah, I like like, oh, yeah, I saw the Grinch the other yeah, I knew a guy like that. It's just like Joe Rogan doesn't know a single guy, Like he's just he stays in that studio. But his studio is really nice. They get fun clips, timple, horrifying, horrifying, and he is just a gender setting for like literal entities. Again, huge amounts of money, tons of cash, and yes there's grifts there, but goddamn, put the money into it. Throw the money into it. You want to know why people don't really know about a lot of these issues. It's insane that I me a part timer and one of the first people to just be like, oh, fucking business people stupid. We have a look up these business people and they're just saying fucking stupid shit. I should not be dynamic for saying this, but it's proof, and I mean this in a positive way. There's tons of opportunity out there. There's so many ways, and if you bankroll these things and make them aggressive and fun and support them legally as well as giving them the social proof and the advertising budget, people are gonna want to listen to that they don't. You can make them positive. They don't even need to be about serious stuff. But shit, when labor issues come up, you say, yeah, we're pro worker. Oh I think workers might like that one. Well, why are we angry at people because the business idiots? There are things you can and it's not even something you need to do disingenuously. I choose Western kabuki because all of those people. I think if you tried Caleb Wilson, one of my closest friends, do a football podcast for him. I think if you tried to force Kayleb to hold an opinion that he didn't want, he would kill you. But that's what you want. But again, the Democrats would say that and be like whoa wlah, whohah, what do you mean you don't like John Fatirman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they would find somewhere like this isn't this is too folks. He needs to be more scolding.
Speaker 2: They've got their purity politics except for like trans people. Then they're like, well, okay, we don't have beliefs around these parts.
Speaker 1: No, totally.
Speaker 4: Let's take a quick break at our back.
Speaker 1: I have a question you, So am I mistaken. You're like a sports guy, right, like you're into sports. Okay, I have a story that I want to ask you about. Do you know much about FanDuel I'm familiar? Okay, So I saw this story last week, and I don't know much about sports. Actually, this is the only sports that I know anything about, which is tracked and ran track in high school. But Gabby Thomas, she's this Harvard educated black track olympian. She won a gold medals in twenty twenty four during the Summer Olympics. She is awesome, we love her, but she experienced this like very scary hostile behavior from somebody who basically was trying to, according to them, throw her like have like get in her head to the point where she was not able to compete. So the exactly so last week she posted on X that a man followed her around the track and took pictures as she signed autographs for fans for mostly children, and shouted racist personal insults at her. So this dummy who did this also went on X and bragged, Yeah, I made Gabby Luz by heckling her and then it made my parlay win, and then posted a screenshot from the betting platform fan Duel. So when I saw this, I was like, well, I'm sure the betting platform would probably be very interested to know that one of their betters is, in his own words, like trying to influence the sport that he's gambling on. And Vanduel found him, boot him from the platform, and it was like, he's never going to be able to be on this platform again, they said FanDuel condemns in the strongest terms, abusive behavior directed toward athletes, threatening or harassing athletes is unacceptable.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: It is good. So I have to say, like, I look this guy up on Twitter, even though he deleted the tweet that was bragging about harassing Gabby. This is somebody who like clearly is very interested in sports betting. And I found this very alarming stat from ESPN. A study commission last year by the NCAA found that abuse by angry sports betters is one of the most common types of harassment college athletes received, making up at least twelve percent of publicly posted social media abuse. And I don't know it just really I don't think I had really checked in on how the rise and normalization of online spets online sports betting has like the way that that has kind of like shaped our online discourse, if it is in fact is linked to a rise on online harassment of athletes, like, I found that to be like actually genuinely kind of alarming.
Speaker 2: So Arif Hassan, who is the other co host of the sixty minute Trail the podcast Do with Western Kabooki's Caleb Wilson, did a great piece about this last year. I think all of the sport the sports gambling companies, I think all of them should be shut down. I think all of their executives should be put in prison forever. I think it is one of the most socially corrosive creations of all the time. I think. I live in Las Vegas. I believe that sport gambling should be if it is allowed to exist, which is a moral question to itself, it should be so heavily regulated. The companies like fanjil should be criminalized. Instead, they are growing like wildfire. I think that man in question should be in jail for a long time. I think that, in fact, if we had any two teeth, he should be done for attempting some kind of tortious interference. He should be like, make up legal fucking thing and stop pulling him for criminal proceedings, because that's how you actually make an example of people. It's horrible is to say, but if you go and chase a black woman, try to do a job because you want to make a little money, you should have to. You should get your life. I've kind of ruined by the legal process. You should even if you even if you win, it should be there should be a social punishment for such actions, not only for doing it to a person, but for a person of color within any industry already kind of like fighting against the racial horrors of America. You should they should be so scary to do that that you shouldn't do it. Instead, the black woman is the one that has to be scared and the guy, Oh no, I can't bet on fangir, but you can bet on DraftKings. I bet you can just go into any fucking casino. But there's never there's never actual real consequences because and even I don't even even looking up the story briefly, I don't see much horror around this. This should be like, I guess what should be front page news right now, the Gestapo or the like. It's just horrifying every day and new horror. Yeah, I stand by the thing about the sport the sports betting companies being yelled.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm psych it is wild that rather than facing consequences, what I think is like just an obvious social negative, these companies have been able to amass more and more power, They become more ubiquitous, and they're all over college campuses. And I don't have any data around this, but I can only imagine that the consequences for young men and boys is like not great, Well.
Speaker 2: Think about it. That's the other thing with the whole oh, what we're doing with young men. It's like, I don't know, maybe we shouldn't have legalized sports gambling and made it hyper masculine and also as the right wing sunk as much money as possible into big strong men looking strong and blaming women and people of color for everything, not spend money on everything and just sit back and go and isn't the world nice? I don't know the whole man thing as well, is really for and this is a very male dominated. The sports gambling thing is male dominated. You've got people that do YouTube channels about how you can scam your way through parlays. It's just like you have this media cluster around it that's growing as well. It's just proof that a lot of modern bisiness doesn't have any morals at all, and we don't have governments that believe, thanks to Ronald Reagan and his ilk that we don't have like regulation or things that would stop businesses from growing rapaciously. And I mean, my whole bit is that growth is behind every fucking problem. We have the desperation for growth, and everything is fucking up everything, and sports gambling is it too. But it goes to Joe Rogan of the Left thing, it's like they grew into an opportunity. I don't think that. I think it's an easy way out to blame right wing podcasts for turning men against the Democrats when the Democrats just offered nothing to anyone ever, and in fact through everyone under the bus. And now they're throwing young men under the bus, which I mean, you can do that. Maybe it's right. Oh no, but you're not. You don't seem to be trying to appeal to any voter right now, just going like, ah, what did you see that? That's terrible. Someone should do something. You're a senator, I know, but what could I possibly do? I attend a ten sentate hearing's fuck, no, I got nothing. I'm not busy. I just don't want to go strongly worded letter. You know, it's the tool in their toolbox. Yes, you know, right wing people love to read killing me.
Speaker 1: Oh ed, this is honestly talking to you about these stories, is I don't know. This is a different kind of episodes than you usually do. Because I feel like I no, I do not apologize. This is exactly why I wanted to have you on. And one of the reasons I wanted to have you on is literally, whenever AI comes up, even tangentially in any episode we do, someone in the Spotify comments will be like, you should talk to Ed. Like this is like a hand like there are a handful of people who are like, whenever anything comes up, like listen to Ed, talk to Ed. So thank you for.
Speaker 2: For and also to those listeners. Bridget supported bat off line from the literal beginning, not just should talk to it. Bridget has been that very early. She deserves tons of credit. Like it's not like she has been behind, She's been ahead.
Speaker 1: Oh well, you know, I I remember when you when y'all and out you were doing the show. I was genuinely so excited exactly because of what you were just talking about. How especially in the podcast space, there are just so few people who are having these conversations who really want to kind of shed some light on all the ego and lies and bullshit and bullshit and scams that I feel like has become so normalized in the space. They're They're like, I could probably count on two hands how many voices I think are out there in the podcast space, specifically who are doing that, and there needs to be more.
Speaker 2: And also I don't think enough of them love technology, because that's the fundamental thing. I'm pissed off because they took something from us. I'm pissed off because I like the computer and I love to pay like you. The whole cool so media thing is the result of the Internet. My whole following is the Internet. My life's the Internet. And the drill crying tweet if you've seen that one, yeah, now get the fuck out of my office like it's And I think that that is missing from a lot of tech cynics as well. It's just that they want something to be mad at, rather than they're mad that something was taken. Also, if all this money and power went somewhere good, imagine how much better the world could be. I don't even mean that in the vague, vacuous, nonprofit flavored Oh the world be good. It'd be more fun, they'd be more exciting things. We could have more solidary, we could love each other more. They could be more interesting and fun, art made. They could be more support for social issues instead it's just this fucking smudge on the world right now when nothing's happening, hundreds of billions of dollars going into fucking nothing. It's depressing, but it can be better, and it gets better by taking their names. Don't let them, don't let make Google Search hate them. I fucked that part of Google Search. That's one of my proudest moments.
Speaker 1: How th tell me so?
Speaker 2: I did an episode last year called the Man who Killed Google Search or the Man that destroyed Google Search. And there's a guy called Propagard Ragavan. I found his details in the Department of Justice Anti Antitrust trial. They had all these emails and I basically found the story of this guy who was the head of ads called probably gol Ragavan, who wrapped fucked this guy Ben Gomes pushed him out, and literally the emails are like Ben Gomes or Shashi Fakher. I think one of the engineers goes. I'm just worried that all Google cares about his growth, to the point that when I read that, I had to go and check the u URL to make sure I was not being pranked. But it was my biggest story. And now Proba Ragavan has been given a technical title. He's like the chief technologist. He was the head of everything, and that he's the chief technologist. They put him out back, they put him on, they put him in an office without a door handle inside.
Speaker 1: He's still in that office.
Speaker 2: Yeah, eight hours a day. All right, Propa guy, you can leave now you're stock still vesting, mate, but don't talk to anyone. Don't plug in your computer. Piece of shit. I'd love to meet that guy. But he hates me and he's hard.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. I mean you said something. I mean, I like you. I love technology. The reason why I make a tech podcast is because I I love tech. I want it to be better. I want technology to be something that feels good and free again, Like I like, genuinely remember how it felt to stumble upon weird corners of the Internet that you could just tell were labors of love, like weird flash sites and shit like that. And I mean, you can really tell when someone who is talking about the Internet, who does so for a living, doesn't come from a place of loving tech and like being crazy about computers and crazy. Yeah, I do think it's like cranks who hate everything. They don't actually want it to be good. They want something to complain about, or or.
Speaker 2: They don't love technology, they love the tech industry. It's is a sick position that is gossip journalist, and I think that's the majority of them. It's scary and I'd love to be proven wrong well ed.
Speaker 1: Where can folks listen to better offline? Where can folks read the newsletter?
Speaker 2: Betrofline dot com. It's I bought that website for a reason. Betrofline dot com. You can find all my crap there. You click the links, you're find my profile, you find my everything, and that you has the big skull on it. That's how you know you're in the right place. And we're selling merch now, which I'm so happy with.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say the merch is good.
Speaker 2: It's banging. It's so good. I don't the only reason I'm in Las Vegas, it's really hort otherwise be wearing my hoodie like it's fucking like the Zip Hop hoodies are fucking banging. I love it. I love that we have good merch. I wouldn't accept it. Were gonna do challenge coins?
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that your cat in the background, by the way.
Speaker 2: Yes, been trying to keep him from jumping up. It pisses me off. When I'm trying to do stuff, people are like, oh I cat, I'm like, get the fuck out of my camera. God God, I love him daily, but he's a pain in the ask.
Speaker 1: Wait, what is his name? Howe Howell? While Ed and Howell, thank you both for being here. Thank you for all of your work. If you want to follow me around the internet, I'm on TikTok at Bridget Murrie, I'm on Instagram at Bridget ren DC, and we're on YouTube. But there are No Girls on the Internet. Thank you much so much for being her Ed. We will see you on the internet.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: If you're looking for ways to support the show, check out our merch store at tangody dot com slash store. Got a story about an interesting thing in tech, or just want to say hi, You can reach us at Hello at teangody dot com. You can also find transcripts for today's episode at TENG Goody dot com. There Are No Girls on the Internet was created by me Bridget tod It's a production of iHeartRadio and Unboss Creative, edited by Joey pat Jonathan Strickland as our executive producer. Tari Harrison is our producer and sound engineer. Michael Almado is our contributing producer. I'm your host, Bridget Todd. If you want to help us grow, rate and review us.
Speaker 4: On Apple Podcasts.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, check out the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts