Speaker 1: Welcome.
Speaker 2: It is Verdictra Center, Ted Cruz, Ben Ferguson with you, and history was made. Kevin McCarthy becomes the first House Speaker in American history to be voted out of the speaker's job. The vote to sixteen to two ten to vacate the chair. Eight Republicans voted with the Democrats to remove him. Those Republicans Biggs, Bucks, Birchant, Crane, Gates, good Mace, and Rosendale Center.
Speaker 1: This is obviously a day of history.
Speaker 2: It's somewhat not shocking to me because there's been a lot of this, you know, bickering back and forth since Kevin McCarthy got the job. We saw how long it took him to get the job.
Speaker 3: Your reaction, well, it's obviously a big, big deal.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And I have to say my sentiments today are are conflicted. I think I feel like a lot of Republicans, like a lot of conservatives across the country. I think some of the hyperbolic sentiments on both sides of the spectrum are exactly that they're hyperbolic. I think some of the folks celebrating and dancing on the graves are too excited about this. I think some of the folks mourning and saying the republic is ending are too much in despair. My reaction is as follows Number one. As I look at the state of the country, House, Republicans are about the only thing to be encouraged by. I mean, we've got a disastrous executive branch led by Joe Biden and other zealots on the left who are doing enormous damage to this country. We've got a Senate that is a train wreck. The Chuck Schumer Democrats are disastrous. And so the lone point of hope and optimism in the elected spears is the Republican House. And so I have to admit I am sad to see the Republican House in utter disarray and chaos. That makes me disappointed. When we are fighting each other, that means we're not unified and fighting the bad guys. We're not unified and fighting the people who are destroying this country. At the same time, I'm in the place that a lot of people are. I don't know what comes next. I don't know. It certainly appears as you and I it is just before midnight Tuesday night. At this point, I have no idea who the next Speaker of the House is going to be It appears right now, it's not going to be Kevin McCarthy. I don't know if it's someone else. What I hope is, whoever the Speaker of the House is is going to be a strong conservative leader. And listen, my job is to represent thirty million Texans in the Senate. So I'm going to stay out of House leadership elections. I'm going to trust that to the members of the House. I'm not going to put my thumb on any particular candidate on one side or the other, but I will say, whoever the speaker is, hope we have a speaker that is a strong conservative leader. And looking forward, what should we be doing for the remaining three months of twenty twenty three and for next year. I think we ought to be fighting for bold conservative principles. We ought to be taking on the Democrats. We ought to be on the offense. We ought to be on the aggressive. We ought to be prosecuting the case that the Biden agenda is a train wreck, that it's not working, that it's hurting millions of Americans, and that there is a better alternative. Now, Listen, I've been arguing for over a year that the House Republicans should be more aggressive than they have been. So, for example, I believe we should have impeached Alejandro Majorcas. I think we should have done so by now. We've talked a lot on this podcast about the utter disaster that our southern border has been. I think it's a mistake that the House has not impeached Mayorcus yet. That should be an early and top priority of whoever the next Speaker is. I think we should have impeached Merrick Garland. I think the absolute lawlessness and politicization of the Department of Justice and the FBI merits impeachment. And my hope is whoever the next speaker is makes those one and two very early on their priority lists. I think those are issues that unify Republicans. They unify conservatives, they unify a lot of Americans who don't want lawless chaos and death and sexual assault and drug overdoses and disaster in our southern border. I think they unify people who don't want to see law enforcement turned into a political weapon. I think being on offense is a winning place to be, and beyond that, when it comes to spending, I hope that the House is passing appropriations bills that rein in the out of control spending from the Democrats that are causing rampant inflation that's hurting Americans across the country. I think the key to winning used to have bold, optimistic, positive conservative leadership, and I believe that good policy is good politics. So whoever the next Speaker is, I hope that's what we do.
Speaker 2: There's also the politics of picking the next guy, and there's a lot of people saying, I don't know if i'd want this job right now if there's this type of fighting. There's been several members that I talked to that said there's ideas of picking someone that could be a unifier just to say, hey, I'm not gonna run again, but as a unifier to finish out the term. Steve Scalise's name, for example, has been brought up in that capacity of saying, hey, this may be a person that could bring us together. This someone that's saying I'm not I don't have the intent to be the speaker after this. Finishing this term, you guys can pick somebody else afterwards, but let's come back together. Is that a strategy that Republicans should at least look.
Speaker 3: At look the idea that we should have a speaker that's a placeholder. I don't find that very persuasive. We have a majority, let's have a leader who actually leads. Now, I'm not saying the job is easy. The job is unbelievably hard, particularly when you have such a narrow majority. You have a four vote majority. That means any five Republicans get a wild hair and you could have a revolt on your hand. And the problem is you can have it from the right, from the left, from the middle. You can have it parochially, you can have it geographically, you can have it on any damn basis it is. I've joked, I'm not sure there are many people I dislike enough to wish that they would be Speaker of the House.
Speaker 4: It is an insanely difficult job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great way of putting it.
Speaker 2: By the way, it's like you wouldn't wish this on your worst enemy in a sense.
Speaker 3: And it's also very different when you're a Republican. So listen, Nancy Pelosi was the speaker on an incredibly narrow Democrat majority. But Democrats and Republicans are different in many respects. But in Congress, one of the biggest respects is Democrats follow orders. They are collectivists, they are statists. They are good with authority. Whatever the authority says, they cracked the whip, and every one of them obeys, and like lemmings, they march off the cliff. That's what Democrats do. That's the strength of theirs. That's a weakness of theirs. On the Republican side, we're a bunch of individualists. In the Senate, We've got forty nine Republicans. We got forty nine Republicans. We have fifty five different agendas. Like it is incoherent. We're at each other's throats. And part of the challenge with the leadership battle in the House is it's not clear what the demand of the conference is. So look, we had a battle. We came inches from a shutdown, and one of the challenges was knowing, okay, what is the demand of House Republicans to prevent a shutdown to actually fund government? And if there was a clearly articulated, explicit demand, I don't know what it was. The demands fell roughly into two broad buckets. One was some modicum of fiscal restraint. And look, you and I believe passionately in that we've seen the most wildly irresponsible federal government spending in history in the last two and a half years under Democrat control. It's driving rampant inflation, it's hurting millions of Americans, and so reining in we've seen a forty percent increase in discretionary spending in the last three years. COVID was an excuse for the socialist to bankrupt this country, and so the principle of let's have some reasonable monicum of fiscal restraint, that's a good principle. The second broad bucket was doing something significant, meaningful to rein in the utter chaos and disaster of southern border. Now I agree emphatically with that. It's the worst illegal immigration or a nation's history. That's a good objective. The problem was, after articulating those two broad buckets, what the specific ask is if you can articulate it, Ben, you're playing closer attention than I am, because I don't know, and it's because you had lots of agendas that were all over the place. Now, I will say there were some leaders in the House, and I'm gonna give a shout out to Chip Roy in particular, as you know Chip was my old chief of staff. He was my very first chief of staff. He's now a congressman from Texas. I think Chip has done an excellent job trying to fight for He was fighting for Continuing Resolution that was a significant cut and discretionary spending that had significant steps to rein in the southern border, and unfortunately they couldn't get a majority of Republicans to support.
Speaker 1: It, which is, by the way, disappointed.
Speaker 3: That was maddening, it was insane, It made no sense. I was proud of the job Chip did. I think we need to have a clear and real vision for Republicans and conservatives in the House. Maybe it will come out of this. So I'm not as despondent as some you see some voices on TV saying burn them all down. Everyone who dared to pose McCarthy needs to be, you know, excommunicated, and we need to salt their fields. I'm like, easy, does it, guys. We don't have a big enough majority to be salting anyone's fields. Let's actually focus on what matters, which is saving this country. And I hope that's what's next. I don't know if it is, but I hope it is.
Speaker 1: They tell you about our friends ever in Chalk.
Speaker 2: If you're a guy and you feel like that you've lost in your strength and your vitality, and weakness and complacency are setting in.
Speaker 1: Maybe you just feel fatigued and you don't want to go work out.
Speaker 2: Maybe you don't even like playing sports anymore, and that's something you love to do. Maybe you just feel like you're just getting weak and complacent and sitting around too much.
Speaker 1: Well, guess what, you're not alone. Men.
Speaker 2: Testosterrum levels are off a cliff historically at an all time low. Thankfully, the patriots at Chalk are helping real America men just like you. Boost your testosterum levels up to twenty percent over ninety days. You'll get back that strength and vitality. You'll get rid of that weakness and complacency. It's manufactured right here in the US of A. Chalk's natural herbal supplements are clinically proven to have game changing effects on your energy, your focus, and your mood. So if you're sick and tired of sitting around and just being sick and tired of having that weakness and complacency, check out Chalk Choq dot com.
Speaker 1: That's choq dot com. Now here's the best part.
Speaker 2: Use the promo code, Ben, and you'll get thirty five percent off at chalk dot com.
Speaker 1: Choq dot com booster.
Speaker 2: Atesosten levels up to thirty percent over ninety days choq dot com. That's choq dot com. Let me ask you another, just perspective question. There does seem to be a frustration. And I'm in New York today and I'm up here, and I'm.
Speaker 3: You know, I always knew you were a secret lefty.
Speaker 2: Look that's right, that's right, Yeah, hanging in Manhattan, but up here doing TV.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, Ben, did you mug anyone today?
Speaker 1: No? I did not, and I made sure that I had. I stayed away from all the crazies.
Speaker 2: I walked from Fox News back to my hotel, back to Fox News, back to my hotel.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm not.
Speaker 4: When in Rome? When in Rome? Apparently that's what you got to do in New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's just part of like the life here, right, you just randomly fucked people.
Speaker 3: But but you did at least spray some graffiti on the subway. Well, I mean, I mean you got to do a little bit.
Speaker 2: I did, verdict, right, just so people would know where to download it. That's all another big deal. It's just an ad sign. But but I was here and there was people that were asking and it was the same conversation within Fox. And it's interesting when there's big news days to kind of see how people react to it. And we were in the green room, we were chatting about this, and there's several other people and I'll keep them remaining nameless, but there was a there was a consensus of why is it the Democrats do such a great job of arguing and fighting and yelling on the House side behind closed doors, and they come out more united, and then it seems like Republicans are having a lot of out of fighting outside of the of the of the closed door meetings and the chambers and on social media and on Twitter. I mean, you had an example, you had a bring it on tweet from Kevin McCarthy, and then you had we did or I did from Matt Gates in response like Okay, let's go. You don't see that from Democrats, And I ask you from a perspective on the Senate side, the Senate seems to work in a very different way where there's people that disagree, you deal with it. All the time, but it doesn't seem to play out the same way that it does on the House side, and I think that can actually hurt us as conservatives. You and I want your perspective because you're there every day.
Speaker 3: Look, there are different times. There's no doubt that the House and the Senate are very different bodies. You know, there's an old joke from House Republicans, which which is that the Democrats are opponents, but the Senate is the enemy.
Speaker 4: There's some truth to that.
Speaker 3: I get that that there is a bicmeeral tension that is real. The House is more chaotic, it is less unified, it is all over the place. It's four hundred and thirty five people and so and often the people have not been there very long. You have people from all disparate walks of life, and there's an ethos where they're nasty, nastier to each other. My sense, and I've never served in the House, but my sense is that they literally, like in the hallways, we'll say f you to each other. In the Senate, that doesn't happen. The Senate is number one. It's just an older body. Listen, I'm fifty two years old and I'm like a young chickadee in the Senate. I've joked, if you ever want to feel young, go to the US Senate. The median age is like one hundred.
Speaker 4: And forty two. You'll feel sprite.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's some truth to that, but there's also just a sense people are there longer. It's a smaller body. They're only one hundred of us. And whoever you're fighting today, you may need their vote tomorrow. And so you know, even the most partisan Democrat are not typically nasty to you just one on one because the institution, you have to work with each other going forward. The challenge right now in the House is among the multiple multiple rebels. There's no natural and uniform and consensus leader.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 3: In the Senate, we had a leadership challenge in November, and I was the point of the spear on the leadership challenge. In November of last year, we had the first leadership challenge in sixteen years to Mitch McConnell's leader.
Speaker 2: And you got to go back to your speech because you're gonna forget this, and it was I remember how and people may have missed this on Verdict when you stood up talking about how important was to pick the right leader. Can you go back to that day, because this is part of that fighting and the grand debate is I would call it behind closed doors.
Speaker 3: Well, sure, if you look to November of twenty twenty two, we had the first leadership challenge to Mitch McConnell in history. He's been leader of Republicans for sixteen years, have never been a leadership challenge. We had that in November twenty twenty two. I was the point of the spear. I led that challenge. And the way Republican leadership challenges work and Republican leadership elections work, they happen the week after the general election. So the general election happened, and immediately the next week, the very first thing that happens, we have leadership elections. Now there's a reason for that. You have all these brand new baby freshman senators. They come to Washington and they don't know what they're doing. They're putting little bitty basement offices before they moved into their real offices. They have no idea what's going on. And leadership schedules the elections so fast because they don't want any freshmen to get any up at the ideas and decide to challenge any of the leadership. They wanted to shut up and vote before they figured out where the men's room is. The week after the election, you come together to vote. I remember in twenty twelve, I was newly elected. I show up and I'm like, wow, okay, a Senate leadership election. This is kind of cool. This is going to be interesting. We're going to see debates about what should we as Senate Republicans be doing. What's our agenda, what's our vision, what's our plan. I went really looking forward to it. I got admit, man, I was flabbergasted. I sat down. So the leadership election is always held in the historic Senate Chamber. So that's where the Senate used to meet for one hundred years in the capital. It's a much smaller, billion room than the Senate floor, and it's where we go for our leadership elections. And you know, I expected each of the candidates for leadership to stand up and give a speech and say here's what I want to do if you elect me.
Speaker 4: That doesn't happen.
Speaker 3: I mean, think back to when you and I were in junior high someone was running for president of the student council in Junior High. They'd stand up and say, okay, elect me president of the student council, and I'm going to get chocolate ice cream in the cafeteria. And the students say, hey, I want chocolate ice cream in the cafeteria. Okay, I'm going to vote for Ben Great. None of that happens. Instead, the way a Senate leadership election works as you have three or four senators stand up and give nominating speeches praising the incumbent leadership, and I just I mean we're talking effusive, ass kissing, puffing, empty speeches about how amazing the existing leaders are, one after the other after the other. And then leadership gets elected by acclamation and the leader gets up and says, thank you very much. All right, moving forward, and there's no there's not a word of like what we're going to do, what we believe, what we're like, what the plan is. None of that happens. I remember the first time I'm sitting there and going this is weird. All right, Well, let's fast forward to twenty twenty two. We have the leadership elections, and the very first salvo in the battle is is I made a motion to delay the elections a month to delay them until after the Georgia runoff. So you remember there was a runoff for who was good the next senator from Georgia.
Speaker 1: In Georgia with herschel Wamer, we had no idea what was going to happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, I stood up and I said two things to my colleagues. I said, number one, listen, if herschel Walker wins, he deserves to say and who our leader is, if he's going to be one of the senators, he deserves to have input in this. So we ought to wait until December sixth until we know who the next Senator from.
Speaker 4: Georgia is going to be.
Speaker 3: But I said, secondly, we just came out of an election in twenty twenty two where we got our ass kicked. And I said, listen, given the absolute disaster that is the Biden administration, the Biden agenda, the Biden record, we should have had a phenomenal election. We should have won the Senate. We should have won a big, big majority in the House. We should be resurgent right now. Instead, we lost the Senate. In fact, we lost ground. We ended up losing a seat in the Senate and we won a tiny, minuscule fore vote majority in the House. And what I s said to the conference, I said, listen, in any ordinary organization and any company in America, if I'm working for a private company and I'm in charge of a division and I lost one hundred million dollars, my boss wouldn't be like, hey, great, great job, ted keep doing what you're doing. They'd be like, no, what the hell's wrong. Let's talk about what you screwed up and let's go fix it, because it's not okay to lose one hundred million dollars. Well, we just got clobbered in the last election. I said, we ought to spend the next month talking about and debating what we did right and what we did wrong. And I pointed out further, I said, listen, we just spent the last two years twenty twenty one and twenty twenty two with a handful of Republicans joining with the Democrats to pass the Democrat agenda. I said, listen, maybe that's a good idea. I don't think it is, but but maybe you could argue it's a good idea. But I can say, at a minimum, what is indisputable is the Democrats don't do this. We had two years with a Republican President Donald Trump in a Republican House and a Republican Senate, and there was not a single bill, not one that the Democrats joined with the Republicans to pass the Republican agenda. So they never ever ever do it, and we spent two years doing it. Now seems to me that was a really bad electoral strategy. But we had to discuss that, and if you disagree, let's talk about it. And then what I did secondly, I mean, I mean my speech was forty five minutes long right at the outset. What I did secondly is I turned to Mitch McConnell in the historic Senate Chamber and I said, Mitch, over the next two years, what are you prepared to fight on? Is there anything you're prepared to fight on? I said, listen, there are a lot of things. I think we ought to stand up and fight. I think the biggest reason we got clobbered is we didn't stand and fight nearly enough. We didn't stand for anything, and that's why we didn't win. But I said, you tell us, there may be a dozen things I think we should fight on. Maybe you disagree with me, you don't think we should fight or a dozen things, But is there one over the next two years, or is the position a Republican leadership. We will surrender, we will roll over, we will grab our ankles on everything. If that's your position, okay, but let's be honest about it, all right. The end of my forty five minute speech, Mitch McConnell stands up and he gives a speech to the conference. He doesn't address a single question I've asked. He doesn't say anything he's willing to fight on. Instead, he points at a series of senators and he goes, oh, I gave twenty million to your campaign. I gave twenty five million to your campaign. I gave thirty million to your campaign. I gave thirty five million to your campaign.
Speaker 1: That was his whole speech.
Speaker 3: It was essentially, shut up, I spent the money, Now you vote for me. That was the leadership election we ended up voting. I needed twenty five votes to prevail. There were forty nine of us, so twenty five would win. I got sixteen, so I fell nine short. Now, on one level, that's frustrating. On another level, those are the first sixteen votes ever cast against Mitch. After that, Rick Scott, my colleague from Florida ran for leader against Mitch. I voted for Rick. Rick got ten votes, so ten votes. Again, those were the first ten votes cast against Mitch, but the high water mark were the sixteen that voted in favor of my motion delay the leadership election. That's frustrating at one level, but it is also signs that people are recognizing we need to change what we're doing, and I hear that across Texas all the time. I'm not saying we need to burn the place to the ground. I'm saying we need positive, organized, coherent, serious conservative leadership with real objectives, realtories, and a vision that is clearly articulated to the American people. I think that's what a lot of House Republicans are feeling right now, and I think that's what conservatives across the country are feeling.
Speaker 1: I want to tell you about Patriot Mobile.
Speaker 2: For ten years, Patriot Mobile has been America's only Christian conservative wireless provider, and when I say only trust me, they're the only one now. The team there have been great supporters, not only of shows just like this one, but they are proud to partner with conservative organizations to grow the conservative base.
Speaker 1: When you switch to Patriot Mobile.
Speaker 2: You're sending a message that you support free speech, religious freedom, the sanctity of life, the Second Amendment, as well as our military, our veterans, and our first responder heroes. They have one hundred percent US based customer service team which makes switching easy. You can keep your same cell phone number you have now, you can keep your same phone or upgrade. Now when you pay your bill, this is when the magic happens. They take a percentage of your bill each and every month then give it back to conservative causes that you help choose to support in these categories that I just mentioned. And you may not realize it, but many of the big mobile companies actually give huge donations to democrats as well as to Plan Parenthood. So stop giving your mind to woke corporations that are fighting against your values and switch to Patriot Mobile. Use the promo code Verdict. You'll get free activation and the best deals of the year. Call them nine to seven to two Patriot that's nine seven to two Patriot or online at Patriotmobile dot com slash verdict that's Patriot Mobile dot com slash verdict. One more question on this, and that is timing. Now, how quick should Republicans move to pick the new speaker. That the longer this drags out, I think the wors it is. I think it's a bad news cycle. I mean, hell, you know, I still the timing and this is just me as a media guy. I was yelling at the TV today when this happened, going, you're making history getting rid of the speaker for the first time in history of this country. And you couldn't have waited maybe one or two more days and at least had the media and the coverage beyond Hunter Biden being in federal court today, But you gave them an out and we didn't have to cover that story. He was in federal court today and that just got disappeared. You're going through an impeachment inquiry. I don't know what ramifications this may have on that, but how quick should the Republicans move to fill this spot?
Speaker 3: Well, listen, the timing was driven by the individual who made the motion to vacate, and so if there was a systematic strategy behind it, I'm not aware of it. That's part of the challenge is that you don't have a clear, consistent demand.
Speaker 4: That leads to a victory.
Speaker 3: We'll see what happens. I hope that we do. That's a hard thing to get in part because very few House members will defer to each other, and so you've got lots of people putting out lots of ideas that are all out there.
Speaker 4: In the cacophony.
Speaker 3: I don't know how long the House will take. And listen, I've never served in the House. I'm not remotely an expert on House procedure. I think they will have a battle. They're different people right now that seem to be putting themselves forward to be potential speakers. I'm seeing coverage on the news that Steve Scalise is making a run at it. I don't know if that's true. That's at least what was reported on Fox. I was on Hannity tonight. Jim Jordan was on right before me. It sure seemed like Sean Hannity was trying to talk Jim Jordan into doing it. Jim was noncommittal. He said, that's going to be up for the conference to decide. I don't know if somebody else will be in the mix. I have no idea. I will stay out of it. That's a decision for House Republicans to decide. What I hope is whoever the speaker is, and I don't know if they go back to Kevin McCarthy again that you know, we had what four hundred and thirty two votes for Kevin back at the beginning of this conference, so maybe Kevin comes back. That's possible too. Whoever the speaker is. I hope we have a clear, positive conservative vision, and I do think we would be better off. As I mentioned at the outset of this pod, if House Republicans had started off by impeaching Alejandro Majorcis, the results today.
Speaker 4: Might have been different.
Speaker 3: If we were in the midst of impeaching Merrick Garland, the results might have been different. I do think the combination of number one, the debt ceiling fight, where where Conservatives did not get much of anything, and then a clean cr I do think there was a frustration that was manifested in votes, and so I think the way you win elections is by having serious principle fights that matter.
Speaker 4: It's not easy to do.
Speaker 3: In the House, so I'm not diminishing how difficult it is, but I think that's the path to victory.
Speaker 2: I want to move to something else that obviously got pushed back in the headlines, but it still is important. The crime wave that we're seeing is not just sweeping the nation, but now it's affecting democratic leaders and leaders in the liberal movement like we haven't seen before, and it's happening way more often.
Speaker 1: I'll give you an example.
Speaker 2: You have a Democratic Representative, Henry Queller, who was carjacked at gunpoint in DC. This comes as in just the past, well it was in a twenty four hour period. You had a liberal gay reporter that was shot and killed in his home in Philly. You had a far left activist that was stabbed to death by a deranged stranger in Brooklyn in front of his girlfriend. You had this Democratic congressman who was carjacked at gunpoint in DC by four African American men. And yet we have Democrats who have a soft on crime policies that aren't just hurting their neighborhoods that I mentioned these different spots, but it's hurting people in Texas as well. And almost every House Democrat voted against the Republican efforts to stop the DC Week on Crime bill, which specifically would have reduced carjacking penalties. This is something that the Democrats, I mean they voted for its Aldred for example, voted with the Dems on this one.
Speaker 1: It's shocking to me.
Speaker 3: Well, listen, crime is out of control in this country, and it's an issue that has people understandably very concerned. I watched tonight the video of the liberal activists in New York at four in the morning being stabbed to death on the streets of New York by a guy that certainly appears deranged. It was horrific to watch. You're right, the news of the left wing journalist in Philadelphia who was shot I think seven times in his own home and killed in the past few days. Look, Henry Quayar is a Democrat congressman from Texas. I know Henry well. Henry represents Laredo up to San Antonio. Henry is the most conservative of the Texas Democrats. I worked hand in hand with Henry, for example, on the Texas Bridges. We've talked on this podcast before about four bridges from Texas to Mexico that Henry and I teamed up in and won big legislative victories to build new bridges to Mexico for legal commerce, to expand bridges. Henry, as I said, is by far the most conservative of the Texas Democrats. Well, in the last couple of days, Henry was coming to his apartment in DC. It was nine thirty at night and he was getting out of his car and it was carjacked. He was carjacked by four individuals. They put a gun in his face, they stole the car, they stole his luggage. Presumably I haven't spoken to Henry since it happened, but you have to assume that with a gun in his face, he was afraid for his life. I mean, that is frightening. My understanding is Henry lives at an apartment building where there were multiple members of Congress who lived there. That there are apparently multiple members of congressional leadership who live there, which means there are a lot of Capitol police around there. And at nine thirty at night he was carjacked on the streets of DC. And then that reflects the crime wave that is sweeping this country.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: The DC City Council, which is populated by left wing Democrats, they voted to lower the penalties for violent crimes, including carjackings. In particular, they voted to lower the sentence from twenty one years to seven years, and they voted to lower the sentence from forty years if armed to fifteen years, and under the revised code, carjacking is now divided into three gradations dependent on severity, with the lowest penalties for an unarmed defense ranging from four to eighteen years, and the highest penalties from an armed defense ranging from twelve to twenty four years. Now in the Congress, thankfully, the Congress has the ability to rescind any legislation in the District of Columbia. And the reason for that is the Constitution gives Congress total authority over DC. Unlike a state. We can't rescind laws in Texas or any other state. But DC is a federal district in Congress has plenary authority over it. And so in Congress we voted to rescind these softened crime laws that lessen the penalties for violent crimes. And the results are are horrific, as we're seeing carjacking, murders crime rates skyrocketing in d C and all across the country.
Speaker 2: I want to talk to you about our friends. I guess the precious medals real quick. If you're like me and you've wanted to buy gold for years, lots of commercials out there talk about buying gold. The question is who can you really trust? Well, I didn't want a bad investment. I wanted to make sure that I had someone I could work with, and that is when I found a gust of Precious Metals. If you have an IRA or a four oh one K and you want to buy physical gold, eliminate fear and uncertainty for the process using the new Gold IRA Company Integrity Checklist. It helps you evaluate and choose the best gold IRA company.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I use it personally to vet Augusta Precious Medals and I'm buying gold from them myself. You can use this checklist to choose the best gold IRA company. You can also get the free Investor's Guide on Gold from Augusta Precious Medals right now. And you can get the Gold IRA Company Integrity Checklist today. All you got to do is call Augusta and you can get that free guide on gold the number eight seven seven, the number four Gold IRA. That's eight seven seven the number four Gold IRA or online Augusta Precious Medals dot com. You can also text the word Ben to six ' eight five nine two if that's easy on you, and you'll get that integrity checklist right away, So tech the word bend to six eight, five, nine to two or Augusta Precious Metals dot com. You also have the White House, who was asked about part of this, and I want to play that for everybody.
Speaker 1: Take a listen.
Speaker 5: If a member of Congress is not safe on the streets of the nation's capital, who is.
Speaker 6: Look, we're grateful and relieved that the congressman is unharmed. We understand what communities are going through across the country, not just in DC. That's why the President took action very early on in his administration to get the American Rescue Plan done without the help of Republicans. That's why every time he puts forward his budget he makes sure there are billions of dollars to deal with crime. That's just a fact. All you got to look is what the President has been able to do this past two years. There's always going to be work, more work to be done. But the fact is the president has taken action.
Speaker 1: He hasn't taken action, He's done the opposite of that.
Speaker 3: She didn't have an answer to that. Holy crap. If a Democrat congressman is getting carjacked on the streets of DC at nine thirty pm. What the heck is the answer? And she's like, no, no, no, no, no, I'm not going to answer that. And what was her answer, Well, you know, Joe Biden spending a ton of money, mind you, not actually putting criminals in jail, not supporting police, not doing anything to stop crime. But he's shoveling a whole lot of cash at Democrat special interest groups. He's shoveling a whole lot of cash at deficit spending that's causing rampant inflation. That is her answer. It's an utter non sequitur. And by the way, it's not just Henry quaar Angie Craig, who is a Democrat Member of Congress from Minnesota, was assaulted in the apartment of her DC her DC apartment in February of this year.
Speaker 4: And this is a.
Speaker 3: Pattern that is happening over and over and over again. Let me give you some stats. Carjackings in DC are up one hundred and nine percent, robberies are up sixty eight percent, theft is up twenty two percent, homicides are up thirty eight percent, and the city is on pace for the deadliest year in two decades. Not only that nine of the top ten cities with the highest homicide rights are run by Democrats, Twenty seven of the top thirty cities with the highest murder rates are run by Democrats. This is a pattern, and you're saying Kareem John Pierre and the Biden White House utterly dodging responsibilities for their soft on crime policies that are endangering people all across the country.
Speaker 2: Want to ask question for you, will Democrats move on this because even the White House presbytery was asked a question of follow up where she could have kind of gotten a redo.
Speaker 1: I got to play it. It's too good, not too If.
Speaker 5: President Biden's policies are helping bring crime down, would he be comfortable with somebody borrowing his corvette and parking it on the street overnight in Southeast DC.
Speaker 6: I'm not gonna get into hypotheticals. I'm just gonna get into the facts about what this president has done. In this president, I mean, she's still screwed it up.
Speaker 3: Look, of course, not nobody. Would you park your corvette on the street. It's gonna get robbed, it's gonna get broken into, it's gonna get keyed, It's gonna get vandalized. She can't answer that question, and so you know what she's counting on. Look, that was a question from Fox News, so Fox will cover it. Ben, you worked for years at CNN. Did CNN cover that exchange?
Speaker 1: Hell?
Speaker 3: No, MSNBC, no, ABC, NBCCBS, Nope.
Speaker 4: They know that.
Speaker 3: The corporate media, they are the puppets for the administration. They are the propagandas for the administration, they will repeat the regime line. And so look, any sane person would say no to the question, would you be happy with your your your classic corvette parked on the streets of DC?
Speaker 4: Of course not.
Speaker 3: Because crime is out of control and the problem is Look, let me underscore that again. When the DC City Council looked at skyrocketing crime rates and said, you know what, the answer here is, let's lower the penalties on violent crime. That's the best solution. We've got too many murderers, too many murders, too many carjackings. Let's send people to jail for shorter times for murder and carjacking. That's a great idea. In Congress, thankfully we overturn that. Why do you think crime is out of control?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a democratic party, and this is certainly going to be an issue with the president sho election.
Speaker 3: Dark Ben, Ben, hold on, Before we wrap up, I want to ask you a final question.
Speaker 1: I'm ready.
Speaker 3: If you're standing by a doorway and you see a little red box that is three inches by four inches and it says the word fire on it, and it says pull this for the fire alarm, my question to you is is that a doorknob?
Speaker 2: That is not a doorknob and that is not a way to exit the building.
Speaker 4: But how do you know? How do you know? Ben? Seriously? I mean, look, it's not like.
Speaker 2: That insurrectionism one oh one, right, Like, don't you immediately lock that person up forever?
Speaker 3: Well, let me ask you this. It's not like you were a high school principal. It's not like you were a high school principal in a high school that had fire alarms. It's not like you were a high school principal in a high school that had fire alarms that had a policy that said, if you, a student pulls the fire alarm, you will be expelled. Jamal Bowman, the Democrat congressman, was a principal at a high school that had a policy that if you Ben Ferguson, a student in his high school pulled the fire alarm, you would be expelled.
Speaker 4: And yet what did Jamal Bowman do?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm going to pull the fire alarm because I want to stop the Republican vote.
Speaker 4: And why is it? His claim?
Speaker 3: If you believe him, his defense is I'm dumber than a box of rocks, and I think a fire alarm is a doorknob. That is his defense, and that's the best interpretation he can hope for.
Speaker 2: By the way, I have to ask now, because you brought it up, if a Republican would have done that, how fast would they have been kicked out of Congress?
Speaker 1: And would they have a mug shot at this point?
Speaker 3: To be honest, I don't think they'd be kicked out of Congress, but I think they might have a mug shot.
Speaker 4: And my guess is.
Speaker 3: Look, kicking people out of Congress is pretty severe. My guess is the votes won't be there for that. My prediction is they will censure him. I think the votes will be there for censuring him. But it is a criminal offense in the District of Columbia to pull a fire alarm fraudulently, and he is on video doing that, but he is counting on the corporate media to ignore the fact that he was willing to pull a fire alarm to try to stop the Congress from voting on a provision that he didn't like, which, mind you, was a provision to fund the government, and he wanted to force a government shut down, so he pulled a fire alarm to cause it to happen. But again, he knew the corporate media would cover for him, and they're doing it right now.
Speaker 2: Don't forget. We do this podcast three days a week, Monday, Wednesday and Fry. Make sure you hit that follow button if you're listening on Apple so you get every episode, or hit that subscriber auto download button depending on what platform you're listening on. We also do our weekend review on Saturdays for what you may have missed during the week, so you'll get that bonus pod as well. And also in the days in between, make sure you download my podcast, the Ben Ferguson Podcast, and I'll keep you updated on the biggest breaking news in those in between days and
Speaker 1: We'll see you back here in a couple of days.