Speaker 1: I Am all in again. Oh it's you. I Am All in Town meeting with Suzanne French and Tara suit An iHeartRadio podcast. Hey guys, welcome back to another episode I'm All in Town meeting with myself, Tara and Suzanne.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: Hello, It's end of January, but on the show it's Christmas. We're talking about season one, episode ten, Forgiveness and Stuff, which aired December twenty first, two thousand and We realized at the end of the last episode that this aired the day after episode nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I looked it up and the twentieth, So episode nine aired on Wednesday, and then this episode aired on Thursday, which was its normal if I remember correctly, this was its normal timeslot days at eight o'clock.
Speaker 1: They just maybe right before Christmas. They were like, let's give them a bonus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's give the fans a present. I give them an extra episode.
Speaker 1: And this was very It's funny because we talked about how like it was snowing in the last episode, like there was snow. It was like you can tell it was like close to the holidays. But this was like full long you know, Christmas, Yeah, Christmas dinner and all that.
Speaker 2: Exactly, Santa and everything. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I again, I I like can't believe that there's so many moments in this episode that's like kind of iconic, between the Santa Burger, which I'm like, oh, the Santa Burger wasnt this and like I completely forgot about that, and I'm like, oh, the blue hat, yeah, all in one.
Speaker 2: I know, exactly, like we finally see the origin of the blue hat, and then obviously the Santa Burger is like iconic everywhere. So that was it was fun. In the same episode. I loved the open of this episode where they were working on the Christmas pageant and they can't find the baby Jesus's arm and then walks by with it, Like I just it was so just cute, small towny kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: I like.
Speaker 1: I also laughed, but Taylor was like, were you here in nineteen sixty five? And Alread's like no, and he's like, all right, well that you have no.
Speaker 2: Say, he has a boat and it's there.
Speaker 1: That all does look like from nineteen sixty five. It was like discolored, like the arms were a different color than like the head and the body.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the prop department had fun with that one.
Speaker 1: I think, Oh, yeah, oh yeah, baby Jesus.
Speaker 2: So let's see. Gosh. This was so this was the episode where the Gilmours have their Christmas party. Laura gets uninvited just being which I thought was kind of rude.
Speaker 1: It was so rude.
Speaker 2: I'm off work to to like she had to show up late, and so Emily's like, well, don't come.
Speaker 1: She also didn't say she'd be late. She just said I won't be there for cocktail hour, which I feel like is totally fair, but she said I'll be there for dinner. And then she gave the example of like when I was in school and I was like dying of the flu, and you still made me go to dinner. And then what bothered me even more was when everyone invited there was like, oh, where's Laura. I like obviously wanting to see her, and Emily was just so like didn't like, brushed it off, and then like kept didn't keep her story consistent.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 1: Even the guests were like, wait, you told us she was working, and then you told us she was sick. And then she's like, oh, well she was working and then she got sick, and it was like, ay, are you such a jerk?
Speaker 2: It's Christmas exactly exactly, like it's your family, you know, just I don't know, be civil for once.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I felt bad for Rory because Rory like wants to defend her mom. And I actually do, I actually do respect Rory for apologizing to her grandma. But Emily like didn't even want to hear it. And I think she should have just said, like we can talk about this later, but thank you, like just just yeah, you don't need to go into a full conversation about it.
Speaker 2: Right, And I in that scene where she apologizes, and Emily like snaps at Rory and she says, this isn't the right time or place your mother should have taught you that, Like really, when was Laura like going to teach Rory that, you know what I mean, like.
Speaker 1: When when you mess up you can't say sorry to your grandma Christmas?
Speaker 2: Like what wait, like these I don't know something to.
Speaker 1: Do it like in front of anyone. It was like in a little corner. She think she's saying your coat off or something right like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it could have been like a nice moment. And you know, Emily just had to be Emily and because it wasn't following her rules. We can't we can't do it like that. I had to laugh at how they kept calling it a Christmas party but they only had three guests.
Speaker 1: It was like eight, no, like six people at the table.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like just you know, like you know what I mean, Like it was the one couple and then it was that one woman who seemed to be by herself.
Speaker 1: Who just took loralized seat basically.
Speaker 2: Wait exactly, Like that wasn't very much of a party anyway, So why is Eily in such a big.
Speaker 1: Especially when you think about it like cocktail hour? I mean, I know they always had a drink, but like when you think of a cocktail hour at a Christmas party, your thing like a bunch of people mingling and exactly no, yeah, and also like who were they? Like why those people? Right?
Speaker 2: I mean they I guess the the guy and Richard were talking about works, so must be like a business acquaintance. But yeah, yeah, yeah, good enough friends that they were at this dinner that was so new.
Speaker 1: In Luke's defense, it was two weeks before Christmas, so it's probably like one of those like you got to invite some people over, like you're not doing this on like Christmas Eve with family. You know, it's like a I gotta invite some people over and pay my dues, yeah, and see them for the holidays. So maybe it was like a business type holiday dinner, right, Yeah, I'm gonna jump around and go to the hospital. So I watched this episode with my mom too, like I did last week's and during the holidays, my grandma had a procedure and so we had to go to the hospital and my mom and I both laughed in the hospital scene because we're like, what hospital so many pictures on the wall and so much decre Like it was so funny because we were like laughing my moms like I was in a waiting room two weeks ago or you know, three weeks ago, whatever it was, and there was not all these like pictures on the walls, and it was like really funny. And then I'm like, I get they wanted to make it holiday, but it was like act just random pictures too.
Speaker 2: That's true. I didn't even think about that, but you're right. I did kind of feel like put the pictures and stuff. It almost felt more like a hotel kind of setting than a hospital.
Speaker 1: I understand, Like, you know, like the candy canes behind the door. I think that's sweet, and I'm sure some hospitals do that, but like random pictures, I was like, why, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: A lot of times you're not even allowed. I mean because I if you haven't heard, I work in a healthcare setting. You're not even allowed to have stuff like that on the walls because it gets dusty. Oh really, Yeah, so I guess probably like in the hallway or something, maybe you could, but like usually impatient carrier areas they try to minimize, you know, because of infection risk and all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm bringing things in and hmm. But yeah, we kind of laughed about it because we were like literally just in a hospital or like I don't remember any photos. Yeah, but I also laughed at just to stay in the hospital for a second. When Lorelei gets there and she hears Emily, do you like how she goes behind the nurses desk to get through mom, Like, no one's walked here.
Speaker 2: So jumping around again. The scene at lureles house where she's in the kitchen. I love that she pulls out a bag of salad and just dumps the dressing in the bag and starts eat it with four.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna lie. I've done that with to go salads before, like in my car. I remember there was one time I went and picked up like from Ralphs or something like one of this, and I just had a fork, and I'm like's gonna be in the car for an hour or so? Might well I've done that once before, So I kind of was like, Okay, yeah, I do it. Except she was in her house. It's just Laurali's being lazy.
Speaker 2: Well, and she in every other episode she hates vegetables, right, so it was funny that she was even eating a salad in the first place. But the but if Laurela's gonna eat a salad, that's how she's gonna do it, Like the minimum amount of appy, Yeah, just open it.
Speaker 1: But she also had one piece of lettice. I bet you by the time that scene was over, the pizza got there. Yeah, by the time Dean left, the pizza got there.
Speaker 2: Shout out to the music in that scene. One of my favorite Christmas songs, The Waitresses.
Speaker 1: Yes, I always think of girls when I hear that song.
Speaker 2: I that has been one of my favorite Christmas songs literally since the eighties when it came out. So when I heard it on Gilmour, I was like, oh my god, it was like, fine, that's a nothing.
Speaker 1: I wanted to call out. Did you notice all the music licensing cleared for Christmas music in this episode?
Speaker 2: Yes, there was. There was the John Lennon song too.
Speaker 1: And there was one more. But it's funny because it wasn't even like I wonder how they licensed it, and I wonder if maybe Christmas music maybe it was different back then, especially but now airing on Netflix makes me think and Hulu. But they didn't even use like a clip of the song. The song was underplaying through the entire scenes, and I thought it was really interesting and I don't think we've seen that in any other Gilmore Girls episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're right, and the I have I had to look at my notes because I take notes on the music sometimes because it is it always hits. It hits my ears, and they did. They closed it with the XTC Christmas song, and you're right they they I think it was I've heard or read that it was Dan Palladino that was like the big music fan. And so usually like when the when the music is playing a role in the episode, it's like something that he was that he wrote, was involved in. But but you're right, I mean those songs, some of those songs, like especially that John Lennon song that's got to be expensive.
Speaker 1: And it just kept playing. I was like, is this gonna end? And obviously, I mean obviously it's all in post production, so it's not like it's playing in the background of the you know. But I was just like, Oh, it's still going, it's still playing. You can still hear it. But I also wonder if we hear it in any other Christmas episodes in the series, Like maybe there's not that much. I feel like this was a lot, but maybe there's like one or two Christmas songs that that got cleared. But yeah, yeah it was. I'm glad you noticed that too, because it was it was in especially like this early on in a brand new show. Yeah, I guess Warner Brothers cleared it those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they must have. But it's that's you make a good point about how like the entire song was playing, because that waitress's song was playing when she was in the living room calling He's a guy. So it started like you can hear the beginning of the song. Uh, it's playing the whole time that she was in the living room, and then she goes in the kitchen does the salad thing, and then she hears Dean knocking, so she goes in Rory's room. Well going song is playing the whole time.
Speaker 1: It was a whole I think it might have been the whole song.
Speaker 2: Think about it. Yeah, I think you're right. I did have a red flag on the scene with Dean knocking on the window.
Speaker 1: Is it the height of the window?
Speaker 2: No, actually, now that you mention it, but I because the curtains were open and the lights were out, he could see there was no one in the room, So why is he knocking on the window?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Who did he? He had to have known that there was gonna be a chance Lorelai would be the one that hears that.
Speaker 1: That's a good point it like, why.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't he just knock on the door and be like, is Rory here? You know what I mean? Like why I thought it was knocking on the window of her room? Nose is empty.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. But also I thought it was the when he stood up and I realized the height of the window, and I was like, so did Laurel I sit on the bed to get down to that level or on the floor, And why is the window so you know what I mean, It's like it's like it's a second story. I just I was very confused. I mean, I guess like he's also just so tall, right.
Speaker 2: I think she was squatting. I don't know if she was actually sitting on anything, but I think she was just kind of hungered down to look out the window.
Speaker 1: She wore the same shirt the whole episode, the bowling out the ball, right, the whole episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that green long sleeve shirt. You're right, I mean.
Speaker 1: And then speaking of clothing, let's go back and forth a little bit, the blue jacket in the hospital, like she just kept leaving her bag places and never coming back to it with the jacket, Like at one point it's on the floor next to Luke and then they and then they come back and they're like Jack, and I was like, where's the purse? Like, where's the jacket?
Speaker 2: And did you notice in one angle the purse was on her shoulder and in the other angle it was not like now it's back between the two different angles of her. And when they shot her from one side, she had the purse on her shoulder.
Speaker 1: But when it was face on when she's coming down the hall to look firm, you.
Speaker 2: Know in Lukes when they were Lukes, or they laughed at this the same time. Sometimes the jacket was on the floor and sometimes it was on the stool. Yeah, sometimes the person was on her shoulder and sometimes it wasn't Like it was clearly multiple different takes.
Speaker 1: I also speaking of Luke's I understand getting a message like that, you're like freaked out, But I thought the thing with the cab was a little weird. What's the number of Like she's like, what's the number of the cab? What's the cab? And I was like, I don't know, maybe it just kind of was like you have a oh no, because never mind, she didn't have the car with her, because Rory had the car.
Speaker 2: Right, okay, bar at Richard and Emily.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. Because in the moment I was like, the way she freaked out about the cab, I was like, but I just answered my own question saying it out loud. She didn't have the car, okay.
Speaker 2: Right, That's why Luke had a driver, because she didn't have any other way to get there.
Speaker 1: Oh and Jackie just told us in that scene with Dean, she was squatting. She wasn't sitting on a bed or anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love that diner scene. Like, oh yeah, because Luke was the first part of the diner scene. He was kind of snotty. He's like, why do you even care about your mother's party? But then when this crisis happens, then he was like, all right, Taylor, make your hot chocolate. Everybody's food is free, let's go to the hospital. Like he literally dropped everything to help Laurai in that situation. And that's you know, that's like that's why people love Luke Larelei. You know, it's like he says I love you without seeing it with words.
Speaker 1: There was a lot of flirting this episode.
Speaker 2: There was a lie you look good, yeah.
Speaker 1: And even like you can tell just like Lauren and Scott kind of like having fun with it because I feel like they kind of like chuckled at it too. Yeah. Ooh we're getting somewhere, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like they're kind of just that playful like ribbing each other. Yeah. Yeah, that was that was good. And even Emily noticed, I mean she Emily comments on it, like what's going on between you two and you know, of course, you know, they both deny that there's anything going on, and then that's when she's so, you guys are idiots, like basically you know you're idiots that you don't notice the you're both attracted to each other.
Speaker 1: I also like that's like little quick scene between Emily and Luke and he talks about his dad's diner, but then our dad's a hardware store and the quick he would he would have hated it or like I would have thought it was like I think it was just it was so sweet but like so funny at the same time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was. That was good. Like we don't have a lot of nice moments between Luke and Emily in the series, so that was that was a good That was a good little moment.
Speaker 1: It makes you think like if this was one of her first like real interactions with Luke, and it's so kind. He brought her daughter and he took Rory home and he stayed and made sure everyone was okay. It was like that sets such a nice precedent. I'm kind of person he is might be such a jerk to him moving forward and just act like he's scum, you know, yeah, I mean, I know it's Emily, Like I can't make up an excuse for that, you know what I mean, Like if someone did that for me and my family, I think I would look at them a little differently.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think Emily just is very set in her ways, and you know, in her mind, he's like, he's somebody that works in a restaurant, he's a service person. He's not like somebody that you would you know, invite into your life socially. And so I think to her, that's that overweys, that weighs out over anything else, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also the scene where Rory comes back, she doesn't find coffee and she goes I couldn't find coffee, but I got chicken, soup and Pez. I was like, how did we get from coffee to SUP and pez?
Speaker 2: And when have you ever seen pez in a vending machine?
Speaker 1: I feel like PEZ is in like handy stores where it's like it's I don't even do they have it at like Target, Like I feel like it's always like specific candy store.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, but I was like, how do.
Speaker 1: We get from coffee to soup and Pezz?
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess that's just how you know, part of Rory's like because she was stressed and it was traumatizing for her to be there when the whole thing happened. Maybe she's just like, I can't find coffee, I'm.
Speaker 1: Just gonna go see and Jane Lynch as the nurse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so she she was still pretty much an unknown. Yeah yeah, right because this was before you know, Glee and before Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because Glee, I want to say Glee was like two thousand six.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was, it was later, it wasn't I.
Speaker 1: Have two thousand, two thousand and nine nine, okay, yeah, yeah, But I mean the more we go on, we're going to start seeing people who are like big celebrities now, like Jane Lynch, which is fun because you forget that how people guest starred on Gilmore Girls. Yeah, it's kind of like there's so many other shows you think about, like what wasn't I mean obviously all the soap operas, there's always like people who had episodes, Yeah, but what other what other shows are there that there's always like someone guest starred. Friends has a ton of people, Oh Friends, there we go yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah that went on and I and I have always like because you know, me and my list. I have like this running list in my head of people I've seen on Friends and Get More Girls. There's just their Lynch. Yeah, there's like there's multiple people that were in both and also like Big Bang Theory, Bo Sheldon, like the same people. It's like they're they just make the round of all the shows.
Speaker 1: It's probably one of those where there's like so many just like little role I mean think about it, Like Jane Lynch's role was as a nurse, was a couple lines here and there. Yeah, so it's just like easy to get a quick roll on, get a job, and move on to the right right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there's some sometimes I'll look up I'll see someone I'm like, gosh, they look so familiar, and then you look them up in IMDb and they've been in like they've had a a fhle in like one hundred different shows. You're like, wow, that person is really making a living without being famous.
Speaker 1: Like which is like the ultimate dream in my opinion, Like I let me just work, but if I go to like Starbucks, I all know who I.
Speaker 2: Am, right exactly exactly. I enjoy my anonymity, yeah, but at the same time, like it's nice that you get to make a living doing what you like to do, but you don't have to have like the downsides of you know, famous, So I think we'll have a pretty good deal. There is so a couple other points. This is the first episode we didn't have any suki.
Speaker 1: M hmm, that's right.
Speaker 2: So there's and actually Lauren and Alexis are the only people that appeared in every episode. Oh yeah, everybody else sat out at least one episode, although they were in the credits, so IMDb counts them in their like episode count, but they didn't.
Speaker 1: Actually, Yeah, I mean you're right, though, there's there's not one I can even remotely think of that either of the two leads are not in it. Yeah, you wouldn't have a show. I don't think you like, you can't like you can't like. I'm just thinking, like, you can't have an episode without one or the other, right, Yeah, even when they weren't really talking, there.
Speaker 2: Wasn't anyone else that was in all one hundred and fifty three episodes.
Speaker 1: Are hard, Yeah, because I remember obviously we read Kelly Bishop's book, because she even said in the beginning they were only in like what her and ed Herman were in like twelve or something in the beginning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that first season. I think they were. I think she's yeah, twelve or fifteen that first season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think maybe continue because I mean she did fly back in fourth Yeah, home a lot. But and we've obviously when we rewatched it with Scott and everyone, we've mentioned like, oh, like Emily Richard weren't in this episode. But even when Rory and Laurelai I weren't speaking, you still got both of them because it was how both sides were dealing with the issues.
Speaker 2: So yeah, right, right exactly, So even if they weren't together, they were still in.
Speaker 1: The episode a lot of days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then there was a boom mic in this episode where it was very quick. It was it was the scene it was in the hospital and Luke and Lorelei were standing in the hallway and laurela I is like trying to avoid going into Richard's room, and so Luke was like teasing her about it, like go look for Jimmy Hoffer or whatever, and Lorelei makes a comment about it's better than having a screwdriver in your head, which says the word screwdriver. You can see the boom mic like drops in the shot from the top.
Speaker 1: Did it drop and then leave the shot again or it stayed okay, And.
Speaker 2: It's it's one of the small ones. It's not like the big fluffy one. It was like one of the little tiny ones.
Speaker 1: I got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's you gotta look fast. But well, I'll try to get like the time code for this so we can grab a screenshot.
Speaker 1: I also just want to note remember the how everyone kept going behind the do not enter doors that Emily was like, oh, you can't go? Is Lorla allowed to go behind those?
Speaker 2: Like, well, technically no one is allowed to go in there. That isn't staff like right, staff members are supposed to go. But if the door isn't locked, like and if there's nothing physically stopping her, that's that was totally something Laura I would do. Would just be like, yeah.
Speaker 1: I was just wondering. I'm like I don't remember, Like I don't I mean obviously like, oh ar it was like you can't go into it. In my head, I'm like, I don't remember like a hallway like that, Yeah, that I think. I don't know. I just thought it was funny. But I also like that Emily's just like, well, I can't go. Everyone keeps going behind these bords and disappearing.
Speaker 2: Well and nowadays too just because of security, Like if it's someplace that they don't want the public going into, it's locked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah you have to have a key card.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you have to badge in. Yeah. But yeah.
Speaker 1: And the scene with Emily and Richard was oh, I started, oh yeah, when he's just being realistic and she's like, I'm gonna go first. I was like, oh, that's where it just ruined me. Yeah, but or like yeah, I can't remember the exact wording, but she's like promised me I go first, and he's like okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, but first.
Speaker 1: I can't tell if it was sad for me because of like the thought or the fact that ed Herman passed away, Like it was a little bit of both, like yeah, god damn it, like.
Speaker 2: Like it's so poignant by itself, but then because we all know how it both on the show and in real life, like it just makes it like it just abbs you right in the heart more.
Speaker 1: And it made me think of in Kelly Bishop's book, which a lot of people said they were also reading it after we talked about it, Yeah, that she got to go see ed herman. Yes, So I think I just was thinking of like we were reading the book and like you know, it was like also emotional, was like right, and it's all like fresh, Yeah, that's fresh in my brain. But very sweet scene. I think it's that's the great thing about Gilmore girls. You have like her picking up Lorelai and Luke in one scene and then her being emotional in another one.
Speaker 2: So right, Yeah, and I really loved the scene that it had no dialogue, but it was a scene where Lorelai finally goes into Richard's room. Yeah, and the two of them look at each other and they it I don't know, it just said so much even without words, and Laura I was about to say something, and then everybody comes in the room and kind of breaks the moment, but like you could, they had like a little moment between.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, they didn't really need to say anything, but and then when she like slowly backs up, it was like, all right, I he knows what I r. I came to say, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That was a great moment. And then the final scene where they're back in Luke's diner and they I thought that was cute. They had the lights out and they're watching them the processional and the town. It was just very christmasy. Yeah, she gives him the baseball cap and that I think that's the first time that we saw hat on because he takes the other one off and then stands there from it. I think that's the first time we saw him without a hat on. Oh no, I guess it wasn't. And the pilot when he had the collared shirt. Okay, so never mind, I'm completely wrong.
Speaker 1: But definitely the first time we saw him with a forward facing hat. Yes, yeah, I was like literally when the same time Laurla I was like no, I was like, no, backwards at Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So that was that was the beginning of the blue baseball cap. So that was a good scene, I.
Speaker 1: Thought, the beginning. And we're on episode ten and so much happened. So a lot has happened in these first ten episodes, you think, I know.
Speaker 2: They really have laid the foundation for the whole rest of the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I love that we were still like the Christmas time, I'm like, can we go back to christ Yeah?
Speaker 2: Maybe that's why they put these two episodes back to back was to like, cause they're both kind of cool. They both really fit together. Episode nine and ten, Yeah went together. Well, so it was I think that was a good way to do it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, the next episode is season one, episode eleven, Paris is Burning. Okayme for this episode, but based off the title at all, do you remember what it is?
Speaker 2: I want to say, is this the one where Paris's parents are getting a divorce and she sees Max and Laural like kissing and then spreads it all over the school.
Speaker 1: Oh, you might be right.
Speaker 2: It's like Parents' day or something.
Speaker 1: Yep, Wow, you were respons Okay, Yeah, I just googled it while you're speaking. I'm like, oh, yep, I had to try. I just don't remember the title that was it.
Speaker 2: That's a good episode too. We'll have a lot to chew on there.
Speaker 1: I can't wait until we say that was not a good episode. How far into this, like seasons are we going to get into We're like, yeah, that was a.
Speaker 3: Filler clookers before then, I feel like it's pretty solid through one through three from what I remember, it was three when she.
Speaker 1: Graduates high school. Yeah, so I feel like once we get to Yale, it's kind of like there are some duds in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it kind of does take a turn there. The first once she leaves stars Hollow for me is where because we lose because not every scene is at stars Hollow? Then yeah, Yale, so that it starts to leave that homey feeling for me?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I agree. Well, we will recap Paris is Burning next week.
Speaker 2: Can't wait meeting adjourny.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com