Speaker 1: Pushkin previously on Deep Cover.
Speaker 2: Now, in a criminal case, the prosecution side of the story, they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. As to the defense side of the story, we just have to create reasonable doubt. But we did way more than that.
Speaker 3: I felt like I had to go to.
Speaker 4: Trial every day and I feel like I had to find truthful, not only for the family, for my mom.
Speaker 5: People don't understand. It's not TV that it's cut and everybody's happy. There is a life after a case, and people have to live the rest of their lives dealing with the murderer, his family, his friends, his associates.
Speaker 3: They're going to have to look.
Speaker 5: Behind their back for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 1: In May of two thousand and eight, the trial for the murder of Iran Wood was in full swing and Tyrone would Iran's youngest brother. He had a front row seat for it all, including a view of the defendant, Tom Guybison.
Speaker 4: I had to see this guy, and then you know, I'm thinking, I know you did it, and you wanted to meet Jamaica one day and that's Beyrd, I mean man.
Speaker 3: Then after that, because I know you did you killed my brother.
Speaker 1: So at least Tyrone didn't have to face this alone.
Speaker 4: I always had someone with me, whether it was my brother, my uncle, one of my uncle's friends.
Speaker 3: I was never, like ever, completely by myself.
Speaker 1: For years, the story of Iran Wood and his mysterious murder had been a largely private affair for the Wood family. The grief, the uncertainty, and the hope for justice had been theirs alone. But that had changed. Newspapers printed blow by blow coverage of the trial for weeks. It was a gripping drama playing out in real time. So many people were following the story.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: One of them was Tyrone's boss. Usually he was a man of few words, not the expressive type, but apparently he felt compelled to say something.
Speaker 3: He said Wow. I said, wow, what did you say? Wild for?
Speaker 4: And him and I are not close, and he said, I couldn't believe that you went through that because he saw it in he was watching the news and he was blown away because he never knew.
Speaker 3: And I tell people all the time, everybody got a story. I don't want. Nobody had my story.
Speaker 4: Well of a suddenly being killed, but everybody has the story.
Speaker 1: For the Wood family, this ordeal, which had shaped their lives for almost two decades, was maybe, just maybe coming to a close. Both sides made their closing arguments, then at last it was time for the jury to deliberate. It would be up to them to pass judgment and render a verdict. Turns out things got pretty heated in that jury room. The whole process was fraud. But in the end they did reach a verdict. It just wasn't the verdict that anyone, either the defense or the prosecution, ever expected. I'm Jake Halbern and this is Deep Cover, Season four, The Nameless Man, Episode six, The Verdict, our season finale. There's almost nothing in the public record about what the jurors discussed during their deliberations. Some of them took notes, but they had to hand them over at the end of the trial. One duror talked to a newspaper reporter when it was all over, but that was it. So their whole decision making process, it's remained a mystery to this day. I knew it would be tricky tracking down the jurors in this case. For starters, I wasn't even sure how many of them were still alive. I mean, it had been over fifteen years since the trial Eventually I connected with several of the jurors and interviewed two of them, starting with this guy.
Speaker 6: Okay, my name is Bob. I'm a Philadelphian and I was selected to serve on the jury that heard the case of Thomas Guibison.
Speaker 1: To protect his privacy, I'm not going to use Bob's last name, but I can tell you Bob is a science nerd and that informs his outlook on life.
Speaker 6: Being trained as a scientist, I would say, yeah, logic was a big part at or at least seriously questioning things, and you know what's proof and what's not proof. You know, where is their doubt, what degree of doubt is there in things?
Speaker 1: So in many ways, Bob is kind of an ideal juror. He's been selected to sit on six juries for this trial. Mike Ferrell, the defense lawyer, questioned potential jurors about their sense of fairness. He asked Bob point blank if he could set aside whatever biases he might have about someone being a skinhead.
Speaker 6: And my response was, I wouldn't make any presumption on that. I would listen to the testimony and I would decide according to this specific facts of the specific case.
Speaker 1: Bob was selected to be on the jury in this case along with eleven others, Four of them were black, eight of them were white. Tom Guybison was facing four charges, a weapon charge, conspiracy to commit murder, murder in the first degree, and finally ethnic intimidation. That last one is basically what Pennsylvania calls a hate crime. As I see it, there were two fundamental questions that the jury was facing. Number one, did it really happen? In other words, do you believe that years ago Tom Guybison murdered a black man in Philadelphia? Then there was the second question, was there enough evidence to convict Tom, specifically for the murder of Iran Wood. The first question did it really happen? Hinged on the testimony of the prosecution's three star witnesses. There were the two ex girlfriends, both of whom claimed that Tom had confessed to them, and then there was Craig Peterson, who said that he was the accomplice. Bob listened to the witnesses testimonies with rapt attention. He found the ex girlfriends believable.
Speaker 6: I don't remember anything specifically about their testimony that I thought that that doesn't ring true. Or I really have doubts about that. I thought they made credible witnesses.
Speaker 1: And he felt the same way about Craig. Thought he seemed credible. But here's the thing, says Bob.
Speaker 6: Somebody can be credible about something that happened twenty years ago and not remember it completely correct.
Speaker 1: Bob said, case in point was the very conversation that he and I were having.
Speaker 6: Now, I'm trying to remember fifteen years ago what I experienced on a trial. I can't remember a lot of it.
Speaker 1: Bob told me some things he remembered very well, specific moments in the trial, feelings, he had parts of conversations that took place, but other details escaped him, or maybe he recalled them hazily, not in the way that he could trust. And this, right here was the problem for Bob. He told me it was entirely possible that Craig was telling the truth, but that Craig's memory was imperfect. And that's a big thing, because Craig's confession, with all of its specific details, is what connected Tom Guybison to the murder of iron Wood.
Speaker 6: I definitely did have some doubts, yeah, absolutely, but I wanted to discuss them. I wanted to hear what other people had to say because they might alleviate my doubts.
Speaker 1: So when the jury gathered behind closed doors, Bob expressed his doubts. He just laid them all out.
Speaker 6: They might have even killed someone, but it might not have been on that day and at that time, because there was you know, there was there were possible recollection issues, and that I thought that the location description, the date and the dayton time that they came to the city were wobbly, and the description of how they got where they got.
Speaker 1: When you start voicing your doubts to your fellow jurors, what do they say back?
Speaker 6: Various jurors, you know, are quiet, Some of them just take it in. A couple of other people started to say the same thing. Is this timeline, you know, something we can rely on, and the location something we can rely on. Do we really know that that's where they wound up and that they killed you know, Aron Wood, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Back in two thousand and six, when the Philly PD first started searching for a potential victim, they looked at all the unsolved murders. From January through May of nineteen eighty nine, there were thirty seven of them. Then they narrowed down the pool of possibilities by considering several key details that Craig remembered. These details included the general location of the crime, the type of weapon, and the nature of the wound a single shot to the head. They found just one match around wood. But this is the thing about reasonable doubt. All it takes is a juror questioning a single fact, like, for example, what if Tom fired his gone twice, not once, because there was in fact another cold case victim from the spring of eighty nine who died of two gunshot wounds. The defense brought this other victim up during the trial. So if you find Craig credible, like so many of the jurors did, it seems very reasonable to assume that he'd correctly remember how many times Tom's gun went off. Craig had been consistent about this. But the key is if God to have faith in Craig's memory, enough faith that reasonable doubt doesn't creep in. Bob says as he continued to think it through, he became increasingly convinced that at the very least Tom and Craig had conspired to commit murder. He was just having his doubts about the particulars of whom they might have killed, and so too were some of his fellow jurors, says Bob. So they decided to send a note to the judge with a question. They actually did this a few times. And here's what Bob was really struggling with.
Speaker 6: If we convict somebody a murder, so we have to convict him of murdering a specific That's now that sounds like a weird question to ask, right, But that's where we got to in the discussions, Like we even believed they came here to kill somebody, and they might have killed somebody, we're just not convinced that's who they killed.
Speaker 1: If they did kill somebody, and what did the judge say?
Speaker 6: The judge essentially, you know, stated the law as the law. But the bottom line was, if you convict someone of a murder, it must be a specific person that they killed. It you have to convict them of.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a question. If the judge had come back and told you you can, you can make a murder conviction even if you don't think it was would.
Speaker 6: Yes, how would you what I have voted? I believe I would have voted guilty on that.
Speaker 1: By the third day of deliberations, the mood in the jury room was tense.
Speaker 6: I was tired. I was thinking about this all the time, even when I wasn't in there. It's difficult to be put in this situation, to know there was a victim, even the idea that you know, the family, you know, might be looking foreclosure on this and want somebody that's you know, guilty of it. But I haven't been given the evidence to be able to do that.
Speaker 1: Bob says from the start of the trial, he was determined to hear all the evidence, all the testimony, and keep an open mind, to focus on the facts, to avoid making leaps of logic, and when necessary, to question his own thinking. And now his doubts took cold.
Speaker 6: I teared up when I was talking to the other drawers. I was, you know, we were kind of wrung out. He kept asking himself, Am I seeing it the right way? Is there something I'm missing? Is it a moral failing of mind that I'm not willing to make the jump because I think it's shaky, Or am I on the right moral side of the question because I actually have doubts. In a series of doubts and I, you know, I can't make the leap that does that make me weak? I don't know. All I can do is be true to myself. I'm getting emotional now.
Speaker 1: Well, all these years later, it's still yeah.
Speaker 6: It was really hard.
Speaker 1: As deliberations wore on, it seemed like the jury was starting to unravel. If there is any hope of a resolution, it fell upon this person. I'd like to think of myself as even keeled, and I think that's that's probably why I took a lead role on the jury. This is the jury's foreman. I'm not using his real name. We decided to call him Nick in our interview as foreman Nick. He's the guy who had to read the verdict, but the foreman. He's also like a team manager. And at this point three days in, seemed like the team had hit a brick wall.
Speaker 7: Pressure was growing within the group to come to a conclusion. There was a feeling of we don't have more to go on.
Speaker 1: At this point, They've been over the testimony again and again, they'd asked for guidance from the judge, and now they had to start making choices based on my conversations with the jurors and news coverage from the time. It seems like the jury divided into three camps. First, there was the guilty camp. They were convinced by the prosecution's argument and we're basically ready to convict Tom Gobison on all counts, including the murder of iron Wood. According to Nick, the foreman, this camp included the majority of jurors, including himself. Then there was what I call the on the fence camp, which included Bob. They thought there'd probably been a murder, but had doubts that the victim was a Ron Wood. And finally there was the holdout. He was a camp unto himself, one guy, and apparently he wanted to acquit Tom Gybison on all counts. He made this plane from the very start, and after making his case, he refused to discuss the matter any further, just stop talking. And now three days into deliberations, patience was wearing thin.
Speaker 7: There was a sense Tuesday morning that we were out of time. Essentially, there was no more persuasion to happen. We'd all, you know, made our cases based on notes, based on recollection, based on feelings, and the holdout was not budgeing.
Speaker 1: How do you navigate out of that situation.
Speaker 7: So we negotiated.
Speaker 1: Just to be clear here, when he says they negotiated, he's talking about the charges brought against Tom, like, could they reach a compromise. As the foreman of the jury, Nick was in a tricky spot because he thought what the prosecution argued was in fact true. He found Craig believable, he found Craig's detailed memories credible. But as foreman, he was also trying to build consensus and avoid a hung jury. It's a tough situation, right, because if you come back with a hung jury, there's a chance that this guy ends up serving no time at all if the case is not retried.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's exactly what the conversation was, and I think enough people felt strongly that he should go to to prison for some of this.
Speaker 1: Ultimately, after three days of deliberations, the jury sent word they were done. All that was left to do was file back into the courtroom and tell everyone what they decided. That's after the break. Mike Ferrell, the defense lawyer, remembers getting the call that the jury had reached a verdict.
Speaker 2: In the life of the trial lawyer, there is no time that in any way comes close to the apprehension when you know the jury has a verdict but you haven't heard it yet.
Speaker 1: With growing anticipation, he made his way back to the courtroom.
Speaker 2: I remember distinctly having to get on an elevator, hide up an elevator multiple floors.
Speaker 1: In the courtroom, everyone was there, the prosecutor, Roger King, members of iron Woods family, the jury, the press, and of course Tom Guybison. The judge called the room to attention. Nick the foreman of the jury, rose to his feet and prepared to read the verdict.
Speaker 7: It's incredibly surreal standing in a room with someone who's being accused of, you know, cold blooded murder, you know, believing that he did it, being convinced I should say that that he was the one who did these things, and knowing that he's going to look me directly in the eye. It was just incredibly surreal, and I just took a breath and reminded myself this was real life, and then read the read the results.
Speaker 1: The charges were read aloud one final time before the jury delivered their verdict.
Speaker 2: The court officer then reads the charge to the first charge, the murder of our Wood. How do you find the defendant and the jury says not guilty, and that not is a you know, a glorious moment in the life of.
Speaker 3: A trial, or.
Speaker 1: What goes through your mind at that moment when you hear that.
Speaker 2: Justice has been done.
Speaker 1: The jury acquitted him a first degree murder and of ethnic intimidation too. But there was more to the verdict. The jury did find Tom Guybison guilty on the two lesser charges, conspiracy to commit murder and carrying a firearm without a license, crimes that could land time in prison for years. That was the compromise, the deal the jury had struck uck. When this hit the papers, the Philadelphia Daily News called it a bizarre split verdict. The reporter described the scene in the courtroom after the verdict was announced, quote, A tense Guybison appeared angry, his hands tightly clenched on the desk. His attorney, Mike Ferrell, acknowledged the partial win by playfully poking Guybison in the bicep above the hitler and swastika tattoo hidden by his white, long sleeved shirt. For the members of the Wood family, several of whom were present, the verdict made no sense.
Speaker 3: We were in quote the first work.
Speaker 4: I guess come to minds what my uncle said, because I was basically speechless.
Speaker 3: Uh, he said, travesty.
Speaker 1: That's Tyrone Wood, Iran's youngest brother. Much like Nick, the foreman of the jury, Tyrone believed Greig's testimony, believed in the integrity of his memory, and felt that there should have been a murder conviction.
Speaker 4: Murder is murder. The guy that drove him testified that he done it. He did it, We drove I drove him. There he shot the black man.
Speaker 1: At some point, according to a press account, Roger King, the prosecutor, gathered members of the Wood family into his side room and told them, don't try to make any sense out of it now. There is an impossible task. It had been almost twenty years since Iran Wood had died, and during this time, this is what the Wood family had tried to do. Makes sense out of it, understand how and why Iran had died, and hope for closure. Roger King told the family that the verdict was likely a compromise within the jury, which of course was true. Nick the foreman, had tried to build consensus.
Speaker 7: I thought it was the best we could do, and that did not feel great. There was no way to feel one hundred percent about it. When you're you're negotiating on something you believed to be.
Speaker 8: True, Does that mean that you feel that basically like he got off. He got away with murder in the sense that he got off on a murder charge that you felt he deserved.
Speaker 3: To be convicted of. That's correct.
Speaker 1: Long after I talked with Nick, his words lingered in my mind. You're negotiating on something that you believed to be true. But how do you barter with the truth, Because at the end of the day, the truth is supposed to be singular, non negotiable. But it seemed like in this case, perhaps the truth and justice, or at least the justice that was possible, were two separate things, and so a deal was struck, a compromise. But the cost for Nick and the other members of the jury too was a claim to the truth as they saw it. This moment had been years in the making. The whole investigation began back in two thousand and four when two federal agents, Scott Duffy and Terry Mortimer, set out to solve this case. For them, this was a divine quest to find a nameless man the victim, and they believed they'd found him. For the Wood family, this was a quest for another nameless man, the murderer, and they believed they'd found him. But in the end, some on the jury didn't see it that way, and this left everyone wondering what did it all mean? For those involved, the agents, the jurors, and especially the Wood family, the question lingered, and they each, in their own way, searched for an answer. Scott Duffy, the FBI agent, remained unshaken in his belief that they had solved this crime.
Speaker 9: I felt so strongly that we had the right person and the right victim connected. But that's what happens in a case where I have to accept whatever the jury delivers. It doesn't tell me if I did enough or didn't do enough. I don't go down that rabbit hole.
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 7: I can what if everything to death.
Speaker 1: Scott says that he felt a sense of relief when it was all over, a sense of vindication that justice was in fact served because Tom had found guilty on some counts and he'd been sent to prison. I asked Scott how he felt now about Craig Peterson and whether he thinks Craig got the justice he deserved. I mean, he may not have pulled the trigger, but if he is to be believed, he conspired to murder an innocent man, and he walked away Scott free. How do you.
Speaker 2: Process that?
Speaker 9: I process it in a way that what's the alternative? If we did not give Craig what I think was required of us, There'd be nothing. There would be no justice to the family, there would be no investigation. It would have stopped, it would have closed, and I'd be left just wondering did we do enough.
Speaker 1: I hear you saying that this was a kind of a necessary compromise to make this thing work. But it is a necessary compromise that sits well with you.
Speaker 9: When it is your only option. Yes, when it's your only option. It is something that has to sit not comfortable, but it is something you must accept as part of our justice system.
Speaker 1: Scott's partner, Terry Mortimer, told me that he felt proud of the work that he and Scott had done, but he also noted that when the verdict came out, this bizarre split verdict as the papers called it, he got grief for it, even from his own colleagues.
Speaker 10: I remember talking to a superior who seemed a little upset that he didn't get the full homicide conviction and kind of like, yeah, but you only got a conspiracy. Man, what happened? Like, what happened to you guys? I'm like, hey, man, we did the best we could. I mean, it's we're not we weren't on the jury.
Speaker 1: Terry says that before the verdict came down, his boss wanted to issue a press release, make a big deal out of the whole thing, but that never happened.
Speaker 10: It seemed disappointed. It was like the case was never mentioned again. It was like it was like almost like it didn't happen.
Speaker 1: And then there's the Wood family. When I spoke with them, I could see how Iran's death had shaped their lives in so many ways. It almost pulled them under not once but twice, first back in nineteen eighty nine when Iran was murdered, and then again in two thousand and eight at the trial. Michael, the middle brother, told me that the trial forced him to come to terms with what he'd been grappling with for years.
Speaker 11: Now you're facing you're really facing your enemy, that this person that killed you both. Do you really forgive this person. I've learned to forgive this person. They'd killed my brother, I say, and now that I'm facing to see who this person is, I forgave him already.
Speaker 3: There's nothing really I can do about it, you know.
Speaker 1: In the end, both Michael and Tyrone say they found the closure they were looking for, But there were moments still, our moments when the past resurfaces. Tom Guybison was released from prison in twenty fifteen, which was earlier than expected. Tom was originally given twelve and a half to twenty five years on the conspiracy and gun charges, but it turns out the judge in the case had used the sentencing guidelines given him too much time. Tom was later re sentenced and ultimately served roughly eight years. By the way, we did reach out to Tom for this story, but we never heard back. When Tom was released, nobody informed the Wood family. They didn't get so much as a heads up from the authorities, not a call, not a letter, nothing.
Speaker 4: I had to find out on the Internet looking for his name, and I did it on the humbug. I was just want I just punching his name and said, oh, he's released. I thought that they lit us down and that's why I guess in the sense I have some faith in the justice system, but don't let him out without letting us know.
Speaker 1: There are other moments when memories of the trial re emerge. Tyrone told me about a trip he took to rural Pennsylvania with his then wife and how he felt really out of place, realizing that they were the only black couple around, and kind of having a moment of anxiety.
Speaker 4: And then I said, no, stop, stop, stop, you're letting letting this world change you. That's not who you are. And if I go and give them to those fears, Thomas won, and you're not gonna win. I don't give you out. I don't know if you alive, I don't know what's going on with you, but I'm not gonna let you win. I'm sixty, so I try not to let anyone change me, because I think that's given anybody too much power.
Speaker 3: So I don't want to change the person I am.
Speaker 1: As he said this, Tyrone gestured at his brother Michael, at his niece Michelle.
Speaker 4: So they'll tell you them. I'm just as silly as they come. I play around. I'm a hugger. I hugged them every time I see them, and what I say, Oh, I love y'all because that's what my mother. Well, I will say love you, God, bless you, and then we will leave.
Speaker 12: That was like the thing that I remember y'all said, since you know, I don't go around pain, and she always say, make sure you say you know I love you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, before you you know you leave. So we do it now.
Speaker 4: Like I'll see my brother and I don't looking. I'm gonna hug my brother and tell me I love you man, because we're family.
Speaker 1: Always make sure to say it. That was Dorothy Wood's wisdom. It's a sweet sentiment, but to me, it also speaks to the way that loss and grief stay with us, whispering in our ears. When I think back to the way that everything played out with the trial, there's something fundamentally unsatisfying.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure, we know that prosecutors bargain passes are given or strike deals, and in many ways the whole justice system is a series of compromises. Most defendants don't even go to trial, they just make please. And yet many of us, myself included, hold on to the perhaps naive hope of pure justice and clean endings, where the good guys win and righteousness prevails, and anything short of that leaves us a bit unsettled and secretly deflated. Before saying goodbye to the Wood family, I did what I always do at the end of an interview. I threw out my hail Mary question, anything that we didn't cover that you think is important for us to know?
Speaker 3: Oh, I think that it's about cover. It covered every pretty everything is about.
Speaker 12: I want to say that I'm grateful that my grandma's praise was answered. I feel like that her praying put that conviction in the FBI agents to chase this cold case and drew Laman and you know is will help, you know, bring closure to this for her.
Speaker 1: As Michelle sees it, her grandmother sent out a prayer and someone heard it, two guys actually Scott and Terry, and ultimately their investigation brought her peace. Michelle never met Scott or Terry, never talked to them, never even knew their names, and yet her take dovetails almost perfectly with theirs. The way they talked about being drawn in, almost mystically, as if summoned. I have to say, I'm not exactly sure it's the ending I had write. But then again, This Isn't My Story, Not Really. Deep Cover is produced by Amy Gaines McQuaid and Jacob Smith. It's edited by Karen Schakerji mastering by Jake Gorsky. Our show art was designed by Sean Carney. Original scoring in our theme was composed by Luis Gara, fact checking by Arthur Gomberts. Our story consultant was James Foreman Jr. Special thanks to Daphne Chen, Izzy Carter, Eric Sandler, Kira Posey, Jordan McMillan, Enna Scrobots, Alexandra Garton, Lydia, Jane Kott, Greta Cone, Sarah Nix, Jake Flanagan, and Kerrie Brody. Additional thanks to Jerry Williams, Jill Gillette, Travis Dunlap, Elizabeth walked Out, Greta Weber, Isaac Gaines, Natasha Sebastian, and Lucian. I'm Jake Calbern. If you enjoyed this season and are in search of more investigations like ours, well, I've got a few recommendations for you. Don't forget your Pushkin Plus membership grants you access to exclusive, ad free binges of shows like Lost Hill's Dark Canyon, which investigates the dark side of Malibu, California. In season four, host Dana Goodyear investigates the death of a twenty four year old black woman who went missing in two thousand and nine after being detained and released from the Malibu Lost Hills Sheriff Station. New episodes launch June twelfth. Another recommendation I have for you is Where's Dia? Coming July ninth. In the beautiful mountain town of Idlewild, a millionaire widow who was in the middle of a messy legal battle with her estranged children suddenly vanishes, leaving behind her beloved horse and idyllic ranch. A man who claims to be her fiance launches a very public campaign to find her, but when another woman dies at the same ranch, it appears that there's more to the story than meets the eye. Where's Dia begins on July ninth, and if you want to listen to something right now, I recommend you check out Death of an Artist Krasner and Pollock. You probably heard of Jackson Pollock, but you may never heard of Lee Krasner, an artist, Pollock's wife and the woman who made him famous and in so doing, changed everything about the landscape of modern art. This is a story of love, power, alcoholism, brutality, and ill timed death. You can listen to Death of an Artist, Krasner and Pollock wherever you get your podcasts, and to binge the entirety of these shows on launch day early in ad free. You can subscribe to Pushkin Plus on their Apple Podcast show page or at pushkin dot fm slash plus