Speaker 1: One of the strangest things about the Man who Fell to Earth is that he's never really left us. Walter Tevis first imagined Thomas Jerome Newton in his nineteen sixty three novel as an alien who comes to Earth to save his dying world and instead becomes trapped in ours. The character is one of science fiction's most enduring portraits of alienation. Nicholas Rogue turned that story into the Haunting nineteen seventy six film with David Bowie, a movie that is now this year celebrating its fiftieth anniversary and still feels like it has arrived from somewhere else. Then the idea resurfaced in a nineteen eighty seven television pilot, returned in twenty fifteen through David Bowie's stage work Lazarus, and came back again in the twenty twenty two Showtime series with Bill Nye as the older Newton. In this episode, a sound, light and Frequency will be breaking down each version like we did for War of the World's a few episodes back, going through them in chronology, because maybe every generation gets the Thomas Jerome Newton they deserve.
Speaker 2: Who knows.
Speaker 1: What we do know is that David Bowie, the person before he became David Bowie the Rock God, was also an experiencer of the UFO phenomenon. We'll be talking about that also in this episode. So this is not just a fan conversation about a cult classic. It's a question about why this one image keeps repeating, the brilliant but broken visitor who cannot go home. Are there any of them actually walking around our planet for real?
Speaker 2: Brent? How do you account for the staying power of this concept. It's a great question. I would attribute it to the fact that there's a duality to the story. On one hand, there's the fantasy of I've met an alien. I've discovered that there's a lone alien walking on Earth, and I alone have a relationship with them, and they have answers and more insights to them. And especially in the case of this franchise, for the most part, the character of Newton is benevolent or at least neutral, and so it does not pose a threat. I think that idea of the lone alien is also something that creates a little bit of fear. What if they come down and they are hostile? What if I was the one that discovered someone who might hurt me and other people and I'd have to blow the whistle on them. So I think that contained version of a singular alien invasion, if you will, holds a lot of interest because it's a story that is also manageable. It's easy to tell it's much much more of a human story because we're not into a war of the world scenario. And I think that as soon as it becomes two aliens or three aliens, then you're tipping over into alien invasion and you're into a different genre. Amen, brother to all of that.
Speaker 1: I love doing Soundlite and Frequency for so many reasons. Even if I've seen something before, I have to see it again. And what I find over and over while doing this show with you, Brent, is that I always see it with very different eyes because the times when you see it originally you're experiencing the movie, life goes on and in many cases many years go on. So by the time you see it again, the same person who saw it the first time, and the way you look at it has changed. Society has changed, the whole world has usually changed. Before you see some of these and that applies frankly to something you might have seen three or four years ago. For example, we are going to be later talking about the TV series version that Showtime did, which I saw when it came out in twenty twenty two, but in rewatching that in the last few days, I went, wait a minute, is that.
Speaker 2: How that worked? WHOA?
Speaker 1: I can only imagine how anybody who if they listened to this episode says, I want to go back and watch The Man Who Fell to Earth from nineteen seventy six. Most of our audience probably it wasn't even alive when it was out the first time, and they'll be in for a treat, of course, But obviously we were there for the original, So you know, what was your first take when you first saw it.
Speaker 2: My reaction the first time I saw it was quite different than other times that I saw it, and certainly when I saw it recently to get ready for this show. My first encounter her with The Man Who Fell to Earth was I was on a date in high school and it was late and I was with a girl and she didn't want to go home, and I didn't want to take her home, but what can we do? And it was like, let's go see a movie. Oh that story, forget the movie. Yeah, continue yeah. So at any rate, we got to the theater and it was one of those like Triplex's where there was three movies, and it was like, Okay, what's the next movie playing The Man Who Fell to Earth? Now I was a David Bowie fan at the time, so I thought, I don't care what the movie is, David Bowie's in it, let's just go see it. We had no idea what the movie was. We walked in to see it and it was, if I remember correctly, a midnight showing of the film, because this was after it came out. So we walk in, we sit down, the movie starts, and the thing about the movie the original is, I think I'll be kind and say it's an art film. It was made by Nicholas Rogue, who's made a lot of very of unique movies, and the story is told in non linear fashion, very disjointed, and it's fairly slow paced. And at that point the night, we were a little tired, and about halfway through we both nodded off. By the time the movie ended, we crawled out of our seats and went back and went home. And I had just an impression of it. That's not a movie that I was into at all, and it wasn't really until I went back and watched it in college with some friends and we were suddenly taken by it and how interesting it was, how unique it was. And then again fast forward to getting ready for the show, looking back on it and now having lost David Bowie and having a sense of nostalgia about that. The movie is very endearing to me. It's challenging because it doesn't meet the conventions of today's cinema in terms of how the story is told. But there's a real interesting, heartfelt somberness to it that I thought was quite fascinating.
Speaker 1: I agree with all of that, although it's interesting. My experience slightly different. I think in a previous episode, I was talking about when I was just a young guy doing a radio news gig at the local hippie FM station and I was covering the Travis Walton things. So I'd already been talking about in just a few months before this came out about a guy that was beamed up. So now this was a movie about a guy that fell down, right, So I was like, that'll be very interesting, And I had the same thing with you. It was a new movie, so it wasn't one of those midnight flicks that you got to see on college campus. It was one that you had to go pay at the theater to watch, and I was eager to see it. I really had good expectations. As I watched it, a couple of things hit me. I didn't really know David Bowie very well. I've come to appreciate his music for sure over the years, but at the time I was more of a Beatles guy at Stones and things. I just wasn't doing Bowie that much, so I didn't really know him very well as a rock star. But he really captivated me in his performance. But I was like you, I was like, what is really going on here?
Speaker 2: What? And listen?
Speaker 1: None of that has cleared up one hundred percent upon a rewatch, except for the fact that now you can watch videos and talk to people and read reviews. So things that I was a little confused about can I can be unconfused on. And by the way, I should say, Brent, we have to say there are spoilers here, folks. Okay, come on, this is a nineteen seventy six film. If you're going to wag your finger at is for spoiling the film. Then stop now go watch it or don't watch it or whatever. But yeah, we're going to talk about how it ends in this thing, and we're going to talk about how the other versions of the Man Who.
Speaker 2: Fell to Earth in but Brent.
Speaker 1: One of the things that really struck me in the rewatch was the callbacks of certain things, because I guess I've watched more films obviously since I had then and three things really stuck out to me. These medical scenes at the end where they's semi medically tore uring amisterom Newton. They reminded me of the Ludovico technique and clockwork Oiners. It had absiliarity to it another great seventies film. Also, the place where they keep him at the very end, where he's just locked up and he's alone and you really feel the isolation and everything felt like the grunge version of the French bedroom in two thousand and one A Space Odyssey. I just felt his isolation and loneliness there. And then when he finally gets out and flees into the white hallway, that reminded me of THHX eleven thirty eight, which I believe is that George Lucas student film that he got to later film. I'm not saying that these were borrowed in it anyway. I'm just saying my film ability to see things differently was there. So I had a great time watching it again, and I have to say, as I watched it, I felt like I was seeing it for the first time because I'd forgotten so much of it, and I was a joy to do it.
Speaker 2: I'd forgotten the first half that I didn't sleep through, and I certainly didn't the whole second half was new to me the next time I saw it. But looking at it with new eyes through the lens of sound, light and frequency, I'm excited to dive deep into it and take a look at how all of this relates to youufology.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just to say this isn't a fan thing. I don't know that we're reviewing it per se because we're talking about the other things and all that. But I did in my research look up something. I thought it would be fun to just read this out loud right now. I found Roger Ebert's review The Man Who Fell to Earth, which he wrote at the time. He wrote it requires an almost courageous leap of the imagination to take Nicholas Rogues The Man Who Fell to Earth. Seriously, here's a film so preposterous imposturing, so filled with gaps of logic and continuity, that if it weren't so solemn, there'd be the temptation to laugh out loud. And yet at the same time, this is a film filled with interesting ideas. It's like a bunch of tentative sketches for a more assured film.
Speaker 2: That was never made. So I always loved Roger Ebert.
Speaker 1: I didn't agree with him on everything, and I think what's interesting is he's probably not wrong in his sort of dismissive way to talk about it, and yet at the same time, what I found is the ideas are so much more interesting. I don't think Roger Ebert, I don't know what his opinions of UFOs and the paranormal and the phenomenon or any of that stuff was, but I did think to myself, maybe, just maybe he wasn't seeing it on that elevated level, possibly right, because he's just a film reviewer. Anyway, Folks, spoilers ahead will be back in just a.
Speaker 2: Couple of minutes. I'm Brent Friedman years ago, a family friend who became a cabinet member, and the regulars disclosed to me that aliens are real. They're here, and he'd seen them. I'm Bryce's Abel.
Speaker 1: Later, when we were producing Dark Skies, an NBCTV series about an alien invasion, we were approached by men who said they were from the Office of Naval Intelligence and they wanted to give us inside information in exchange for access to our show.
Speaker 2: We didn't take that deal, but we have never stopped thinking about it.
Speaker 1: That's why we do this podcast. We're working out ideas in real time about how Hollywood is portrayed aliens and why.
Speaker 2: Every episode is different because there are so many questions.
Speaker 1: We're looking for answers. It's an active investigation. Let's do this together, all right. Then we're back and we're talking about The Man Who Fell to Earth, which is something that's really stood the test of time. It goes back to nineteen sixty three when an author named Walter Tevis wrote the original book. And I didn't read the book in full, and I brand, I know you, we didn't know. That's not where we started our The Man Who Fell to Earth work, although I did buy it as a kindle and read it some pages of it.
Speaker 2: I thought it was great.
Speaker 1: And by the way, the man who wrote it, I don't know if you know this, but the man who wrote it also wrote The Hustler, The Color of Money, and The Queen's Gambit, which was a big Netflix thing a back.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's the author who wrote a bunch of stuff you know about, but you don't know anything about.
Speaker 2: Ann fascinating. Okay, So there you go.
Speaker 1: It's your take on the book, though you know it got any facts and figures to throw out here.
Speaker 2: The book follows the same basic plot, and I found that the book seemed very intent on presenting basically an allegory for corporate corruption, right. And it seemed to be because when it was written nineteen sixty three, it was also looking at the emergence of kind of the traps of consumerism and the loss of idealism. Right. It came out and I think right around the time that John F. Kennedy was being assassinated. Right, it really was representative of its day in terms of the messages it wanted to convey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you just really nailed something there. When the book first came out, Kennedy was still in office, So it represents in some respects an Alien has come to Earth and you start to read it, and then it becomes the post assassination book, where it's all about the irony and the cynicism and all of that. I do think one thing is probably clear the novel, and this is true of most adaptations. The novel is a little clearer than the film about what Newton's mission is, because obviously he had to write a book about it, so you get a little more sense of that. But I don't know that is necessarily a knock on the film itself, because if the film was as specific as the book about what Newton is doing there and all the details, it would lose some of its mystery.
Speaker 2: I think that's probably why they leaned into the nonlinear storytelling, was they wanted to keep it more mysterious, more elliptical, and be unsure about what exactly Newton's agenda is, who he is, what's going on, And they were able to sustain that for a period of time in the movie. And that wasn't really the case as I understood it in the book.
Speaker 1: Let's also be authentic here about it wasn't such a big hit that they grabbed it off the bookshelves and turned it into a movie. It comes out in sixty three. I don't start adapting it, I believe, until seventy five, and maybe as early as a little earlier. But so it took a while to find its way into film them. But that's a good place for us to start, because, let's face it, nobody who's listening to us has read the book either. So let's move on. Many of us have seen this film. Let's talk film, all right.
Speaker 2: So the film came out in nineteen seventy six. As we mentioned earlier, it was directed by Nicholas Rogue. We know it was based on this book by Tevis and the plot is still basically the same. And let me just recap it a little bit. It's about a humanoid alien who goes by the name of Thomas Jerome Newton, who arrives in the American Southwest. His homeworld is suffering from a catastrophic drought, and his intention is to amass enough wealth on Earth to build a spacecraft capable of transporting water back to his homeworld of Anthea. You know the log.
Speaker 1: Line, that's pretty fair. It does make you wonder, though, how large a spacecraft was this guy really supposed to build to transfer water to save the planet.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was my big practical question, and I thought, oh, I guess this is going to entail lots of trips back and forth.
Speaker 1: And yet they're building one spacecraft and they say time is of the essence.
Speaker 2: I don't know that's even true.
Speaker 1: And also, if you run to steal enough water from the Earth to save an entire planet, that probably would be something that was not a neutral act. You would literally be transporting a whole lot of water.
Speaker 2: However you did it.
Speaker 1: Just a couple of quick points of order, if you will, on what that story is about. There's some key elements in this thing. When he shows up, he engages a patent attorney named Oliver Farnsworth who's played by the great Buck Henry. Yes, right, And he also brings in a guy named This has always been one of my favorite things. The name of the character is doctor Nathan Bryce. Yes, but Bowie keeps calling him Bryce. Everyone in the film calls him Bryce, and so I remember the first time seeing it going, that's pretty cool. And this guy is he's a brilliant but compromised former professor kind of guy. All right, So that's who Bowie's got to help him with his plan to make money and build a ship and save his world. But along the way he gets derailed by two things, sex and alcohol. I think that's the which, by the way, has derailed many a human being as well.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, that's one of the great ironies here is that he comes here with certainly a higher intelligence, and he uses that intelligence as he intends to create some revolutionary technology that he then patents, and he's able to to some degree execute his vision, execute his plan. But the problem is he's fallen to Earth, where there are distractions and temptations. And again, think about the story from Tevis's point of view, which is he's trying to show what life is becoming, right where even the most noble of intentions are getting slowed down and embroiled in what modern society is becoming. And so the idea that an alien comes down with all of this supreme intelligence, but he doesn't have. He's very human in that he doesn't have the emotional intelligence to rise above all of these things that pull him down and ultimately thwart his mission. And people keep feeding him alcohol and he becomes addicted. He becomes an alcoholic. He can hold his liquor pretty good.
Speaker 1: It seems, but he's constantly drinking and that's not good for him. And then he hooks up with a character named Mary Lou who's assault of the Earth. I think she's a hotel worker from Oklahoma or something, and she's played by the Great Candy Clark, who comes out of American graffiti.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she's just a.
Speaker 1: Sweet person, a little high strung, but she loves this guy. Even when she learns he's an alien, she loves him, which God bless her, because he's a creepy looking alien when he actually takes off the stuff at one point, because he's so tired of masquerading as a human, and he allows her to see him as he is, and she does not like what she sees, and yet she still loves him. Yes, that's love for you. One thing I just thought was just an image for you.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 1: When they made this movie Rogue, the director did not have David Bowie in mind. The first person he wanted to cast was Michael Crichton.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I don't know if everyone remembers Michael Crichton, but he was the author of the Androma to Strain and Jurassic Park, Yes, I mean and many other books. Yeah, a very successful writer, not considered an actor, But then neither was David Bowie that much at the time he was cast. But Rogue thought that what would be so good about Crichton is that he's so tall, and that he would just stand out six eight. He was gigantic guy, and so it was actually quite a twist, And I wonder if how I would have responded to a gigantic Newton as opposed to Bowie, who comes across as extremely slight. You could blow him away in a hard wind, right. He literally from the moment he steps foot into the earth, he's not well, it's not his favorite environment, it's not the right place for him to be, but he's carrying on because he's on this mission. Final interesting thought just to set the world here, because with a lot of movies you have to figure like, what's the time frame, how how do our characters aging or whatever? This movie says, damn right they are, And what happens is David Bowie as the jerome character in this movie is always David Bowie is the jerome character. He's not aged up or anything. He is he looks he's quite as a ghost, it seems like, but he's he's got shocking red.
Speaker 2: Hair, which we've seen before.
Speaker 1: But he's the same guy all through the movie, but particularly toward the end, everybody else is aging, yes, dramatically, And so I knew that, and I've always accepted that because I thought that's interesting he's put this costume on based disguise disguise, And a couple of nights ago, I'm watching the extras on the movie and I watch a piece with the writer Paul Meyerberg, who, by the way, here's just a little tidbit for those of you who are writers and are saying I'm never goddamn gonna make it in this business. Paul Meyerberg wrote thirty nine scripts before they produced his very first script, The Manu Feld Earth. Wow, that is perseverance. Think about that anyway back to time. So a lot of time went into his success. But what Meyerberg says in his interview I did not catch the first time. He said this film has a lot to do with time. And he went into this explanation Brent where he started saying, there's past, present, future, the futures affecting the past, but also the president in the past is affecting the future, and what he described was like dark series that we talked about a while ago. Now, I never saw that in the film the first time I saw it, and if it's in there, it's subtle. And he described a scene that I had not seen, which he said, while they're driving around. They shot most of this in New Mexico, including one scene in Roswell which I found interesting. But they're driving around New Mexico and Bowie's in the car and he looks outside the car and he sees a pioneer family. Did you see this in the film?
Speaker 2: I missed it. Now I missed that too.
Speaker 1: Maybe it got cut out and it's in the director's cut.
Speaker 2: I don't know what.
Speaker 1: I'm sure we'll get notes on it. But what Meyerberg says is he sees this pioneer family, which is like one hundred and fifty years in the past, but he's riencing them as if it's just a time dilation kind of thing. And he said, what was interesting is the way he wrote it is the family actually sees Bowie driving around in his car as one of those weird little toe Wow.
Speaker 2: No, I don't forgot that. I don't think that's in the final film, because I think I would have there's a lot of strange things in the movie, but that probably would have struck me as the strangest. Yeah, that one surprised me. So let me give a little more cultural context here. I mentioned before that I was a big fan of David Bowie. So in nineteen seventy six, when the movie came out, David Bowie was already a rock star, and not just any rock star. He had a persona called Ziggy Stardust, and in I think around seventy two, he released an album called The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardusts and the Spiders from Mars, That's what it was. And from seventy two to seventy three he toured around the world and Ziggy Stardus was this androgynous alien rock star and that was his person that he completely glombed onto. He dressed like an alien rock star and this character took off. It made his album a huge success. And then when he came back from touring, he released another album, still embracing the Ziggy Stardust persona, called Aladdinsane. And then he got bored, as most creatives do, with doing the same thing over and over again, and he decided he wanted to shed that persona and become someone else, and for the rest of his career he was never a Ziggy startist. Again. I say all of this because brilliant casting. You take David Bowie, who is at that point in seventy six known as an alien rock star, that's his whole brand, and you put him in a movie where you're asking people to believe he's an alien.
Speaker 1: Great casting, because according to Rogan himself in his interview, he did have his head on Crichton. But as soon as somebody said Bowie, and I think it was the writer that suggested Bowie, they couldn't get it out of their head. They just said, he's the perfect guy. We got to go get him. And apparently Bowie, who I'm sure had his own issues with drugs or alcohol and or was very well behaved on set, he showed up and said.
Speaker 2: What do you need me to do? I'll do it.
Speaker 1: But you're right, think about some of the songs like Space Oddity and so it's a great converging of his persona with a character. He tried to give up his persona of Ziggy Stardust I think he was tired of it in seventy three, which is three years before the movie came out, and the movie kick started it again. I wanted to just I don't know why, but I have to say this, because the character's name is doctor Nathan Bryce. The first guy they wanted to play that was James Coburn, which is so interesting because if you know anything about Rip Torn, he kind of has that attitude whereas whimsical, a little tiny bit of whimsical in it that he's portrayed over the years. James Coburn is a straight ahead guy.
Speaker 2: With a little menace in it.
Speaker 1: It would have been an entirely different interpretation of that as well. But the point I wanted to make as well that I thought was very prescient about this film because it's happening right now. In every scene that you see Bowie, when he's Newton and he's coming back and he's filling in his time, he's watching TV. He starts with a single TV and it's three TVs. Then it's a wall of TVs. And what he's really doing, he is recreated with his wall of TVs what we all have in our pockets now, our cell phones. I just think the movie was very prescient about that, the idea that you need constant distraction. He'd be going for one thing to the next thing watching this. And I wrote this one down because when he said it, I was like, holy shit, that's a really interesting comment. He's looking at a wall of TV screens and he's just there looking blank about it. But then he startles awake and he goes, get out of my mind. All of you leave my mind alone, which where all of you people who feel like your kids are watching too much TV or you're watching too much TV. I think we've all felt that, where it just it's not a thing that you do without consequence.
Speaker 2: TV gets in your mind. Yeah, I feel like it is. That scene was a great example of Rogue sending a cautionary message at that time again remember in the seventies of what media would become, and very prophetic in that regard. I think something else related to ufology that I find interesting. It was in the book and it's I don't remember if the exact words were used in the movie, but this idea that Newton comes to Earth as an alien with uncanny scientific knowledge, and how many times have we seen that in stories where aliens come down and they seem to always know more about the universe than humans do, Like that is a standard, like you're not a self respecting alien unless you can lord it over humans that you know what's really going on. Now. The other thing is that it also we've seen this play out in Disclosure Day, this idea that even if it's not the alien coming down with knowledge, it's the idea that uncanny scientific knowledge is passed down through downloads and through hybrids getting special messages and whatnot. But the big idea here is that non human intelligence, whether it's in some sort of light being form or it's David Bowie falling to Earth, always knows more than humans. And it reinforces this idea that we are somehow trapped here in a world, in a material world, and full of distractions and things that are somehow keeping us from reaching these heights that non human intelligence or off world entities have that can look down on Earth and understand how it all works. And again, I think this goes back to the fantasy I was mentioning before. Imagine if you met one of those people, right, you could ask them all sorts of questions. I know that for you and I we look back on our meetings with JC and say, oh, we wish we had asked them more questions. I am getting lots of people saying, why didn't you ask that Nordic on Orches Islands? What's really going on? Because I was scared for my life is the answer. But in retrospect to the Monday Morning quarterback of me says, I would love to meet an alien because they have all of the secrets, it seems.
Speaker 1: And they do have all of the secrets. It seems that it's interesting what this film does about this. To hark back to TV, he says early on in his character as Newton that the way that they found out about the Earth and that they saw the Earth had all this water was from TV. Yes, that they had intercepted our TV signals, and which is something that goes back to Carl Sagan talking about that. I remember in his movie Contact, the first thing that ever is received by anybody outside of the Earth is an image of Hitler speaking at the nineteen thirty Site Olympics, because it was televised. So what they're saying in this film is that our television, whether we're seeking contact or not, we're putting out stuff that can be interpreted as contact, and that means I love Lucy is contact folks, if that's the case. Yes, also I find this very interesting because it is true. And then we need to move on. But the film does merge that Bowie persona Ziggy Stardust, into this Newton persona, which is very interesting. But here is Bowie who is an incredible musician, and guess what, he doesn't do the soundtrack. No, they just couldn't get him to do it. It was all he could get his brain around was to actually do the acting. He didn't do it, and so guess who did? The soundtrack is done by John Phillips of the mom is in the Papas I didn't realize, which kind of blew my mind. Now here's one other final tidbit and then we can move on to the next iteration. At the very end of the film, when Newton is talking to doctor Nathan Brice has gone to what looks like Tower Records and listened to a record album that Newton has composed and put out there, and Newton asks him in the final scene did you like it? And he goes not really much, and Newton says it wasn't for you.
Speaker 2: It was for my wife.
Speaker 1: Somedays you'll hear it on the radio, because again, radio signals are less out. Okay, Now you might say, okay, I know why they put that in the film. So when you watch that, folks, I want you to know it's in the book. They didn't put that in the film. Interesting, it was Bowie's character did not demand that he write a film. In fact, if anything, it actually looks almost a little wrong in the film because it's but it came from the book.
Speaker 2: And here's here's a nice little piece of trivia. Bryce. Do you remember what the musical artist's name was that put that album out?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, basically the pseudonym of Newton, Yes, the Visitor.
Speaker 1: The Visitor, yes, yeah, and oh and also on the image of that. The reason I was stretching for that is that I believe on the image of the album it's the Visitor and it says a music phenomenon, Yeah, something like that. The phrase the phenomenon is in there, yes, exactly. So you wouldn't have picked up on that in nineteen seventy six. Now only watching it today. Okay, look, we can still continue to reference this thing. But let's march forward. Because this thing is a it's a critical success. I can't really remember if it made money. I don't know how much money it made. Maybe that doesn't even count. It was critically interesting to people, and certainly people who cared about UFO and Aliens at the time were very interested in it. So we got the book in the sixties, we got the movie in the seventies, and in the eighties it comes. I was going to say roaring back, but that would be the wrong word to use. They released it as a movie of the Week on ABC, and it's god awful. And I know this to be the case because I watched it recently to prepare for this. I didn't even want to talk about it. It was so bad. It's a nineteen eighty seven TV pilot. They were thinking, oh great, we got this great title, The Man Who Fell to Earth. It'll be a wonderful TV series. So they shoot a two hour pilot. It doesn't get picked up the series, but they release it as a.
Speaker 2: Movie of the week.
Speaker 1: And listen, I actually saw some of the credits on this thing, and I actually have met some of those people, so I'm not trying to pick a fight with anybody, but I think they would probably say it was of its time. And I can't even imagine the producers and the writers that thing actually thought this was the right way to treat that material. It had to be an executive someplace who said this is how we're going to do it, and this is what you need to do. All I can say, Britt, have you even seen a frame of this one?
Speaker 2: Just out of curiosity? No frames? But I did do a little reading on it, and the thing that struck me about just what I read in terms of encapsulations is that I guess, in trying to make it episodic, they had essentially made it feel Newton's or the Newton characters had a day job to try and start this company and make some money and build a spacecraft, and so it really flattened out all of the idea of, oh, he has to overcome distractions and temptations of modern society, and it was more just, oh no, this is just a it's going to take a while to accomplish all he needs to do, so we're going to slice it up into our long episodes, and in doing that they completely missed the point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, And that's really astute observation because if you break it down, if you break it down to the big building blocks, guy comes from a dying planet, crash lands on Earth, decides to use his scientific knowledge to make money to build the craft. Those all match, and yet they aren't even close to the same film. And in fact, there's a guy named Lewis Smith, who I don't think most people know as an actor, who plays the Newton character, who they've renamed John Dorry. I guess they renamed all the characters.
Speaker 2: And yes, it's clear who they are.
Speaker 1: Brent Lewis Smith in this nineteen eighty seventh film looks like Jerry Seinfeld from his show, and so the whole time I'm watching this thing, I'm going it's just hard for me.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: At the time, Jerry Seinfeld was nothing, so they didn't know they were doing that. But he looks like Jerry Seinfeld. So you're watching this thing and it's this really bad movie where Jerry Seinfeld is playing the David Bowie role, and it doesn't track. So all I could say is they did certain things. As you point out, he has a son on Earth and they really cures together. It's so clear that whoever decided to make that version of it, just said, this will be a vehicle if you will, Right. The nineteen seventy sixth film is about alienation, is spiritual collapse, which is interesting, right, that's powerful. The eighty seven version is about an alien trying to get home while becoming the lead of a possible TV series, and that's it.
Speaker 2: That's all. It is.
Speaker 1: The strangeness that goes with the nineteen seventy sixth film gets domesticated, if you will, in this pilot episode, and it really feels wrong because of what you just pointed out. It wants to be repeatable, but the Nicholas Rogue film is not repeatable. No so in fact, which is going to take us in a moment to the twenty twenty two thing where they didn't repeat it. They continued the story, which is interesting. But before we get there, yes, unless you want to say something more about this no stupid ABC pilot, then we're going to forget that.
Speaker 2: Life moved on already. Let's move on to.
Speaker 1: Something of importance, which is the twenty fifteen to twenty sixteen stage play in New York off Broadway. David Bowie has Michael C. Hall, who is Dexter playing the Newton character. And so what is so powerful about this thing that impacted me just watching a few scenes from Michael C.
Speaker 2: Hall and all that was that.
Speaker 1: Bowie put this thing together as he was dying of liver cancer. Yes, and this thing only plays for a little over a month and a half to two months, and Bowie dies, I believe, while it's in its final days. And he dies two days either before or after his final album, the twenty eighth.
Speaker 2: Album comes out, yes, I think before actually wow. And so the interesting things is that that play actually started with a song called Lazareth, and that was meant to be because he knew he was dying his self, penned swan song and his farewell to his fans, and it was meant to I think I read an interview where he intended that to be something that would help his fans accept the fact that he was passing on, and this idea of Lazareth of Bethany as being resurrected from the dead by Jesus. I think Bowie was using the song more as a metaphor. He was using it as a I will live on through my music and the legacy that I have left behind is what will never be gone, that will be eternal. I will always be here for you. That was the underlying message for him. A couple fun facts that I did not realize Bowie I ever got to perform Lazaruth live. He was too ill.
Speaker 1: Originally he wasn't even writing. He wasn't going to make it about Newton. It was going to be something about somebody finds Bob Dylan songs that didn't exist.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was something about finding some lost songs by Bob Dylan that he was actually going to write David Bowie and wow, there's an alternate history world. Yes, talk about shifting timelines. It makes me feel a little sad and certainly nostalgic to think that this is how he went out. At the same time, imagine being able to put out an album right as you're passing and put on a play and be able to say goodbye to the world in such a creative way. I think that's pretty profound.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's the artistic part of that, and I'm not going to comment on that at this point other than that people who saw it liked it. Right, It's kind of it's a musical Michael Sehall playing David Bowie playing Tom He's Newton. Okay, so you got that, But it's just fraught with meaning because of it. But it doesn't add a lot of meaning, I don't think to the whole falling to Earth, other than it appears the Bowie characters on our planet anyway an immortal almost, and so he can't die. And yet in the play it seems like he wants to die, that he's trying to die, but he's condemned not to die something.
Speaker 2: Look, I think there's something else to bring up here. You touched on it earlier, but this seems like a good inflection point before we move on to the more recent incarnation of the story. And if you think about the message of this, David Bowie did a lot of things in his career. He was around for a long time, a ton of accomplishments. As I mentioned, he has ziggy starred us. He retired that after a couple of years. But he created other personas throughout his whole life. And yet when he was dying, what character did he choose to go out as right? The Newton character? And so, as you mentioned earlier, I wonder if it had anything to do with him being an experiencer himself.
Speaker 1: What do you think I'm going to let you tell that story of his experiencing because I don't feel I have all the facts there. But I do know that he saw many a UFO in his day. Yes, but at a time in his life. If I'm not mistaken before he was actually David Bowie Rock got correct.
Speaker 2: So this will go quick, but I think it's really important and it's a nice wrap up on Bowie. As Newton so in nineteen sixty eight, so this is pre rock Star Bowie. He gave an interview or he gave an interview later about this time where he had seen significant UFO activity from an observatory up to seven times a night over the course of a year. And here's the quote that he gave in the interview, which I find fascinating. I used to work for two guys who put out a UFO magazine in England about six years ago, and I made sightings six seven times a night for about a year when I was in the observatory. We had regular cruises that came over. We knew the six point fifteen was coming in and would meet up with another one and they would be stationary for about half an hour, and then after verifying what they'd been doing that day, they'd shoot off and he that's the end of the quote, the fact that this all was just so routine for him. Of course, this guy became an alien rock star. Of course he identified with Newton. He had seen over the course of a year. Not a lot of us are not even going to see one UFO in our lifetime, and he was watching them seemingly every night that he went to work. It's fascinating.
Speaker 1: So Bowie was definitely, I guess he was aware of the situation, was a air of the phenomenon. He took it as part of his life. And again, as you are correct, at the end of his life, he's calling back to the man who fell to Earth, which I think gives it a heaviness and a meaning that it already had, but it amplifies it in a wonderful way. And as you said, it's the last time it's Bowie's let Well, actually that isn't even Bowie's performance as Newton. Bowie's performances Newton happens in the movie period.
Speaker 2: Then this other guy, Lewis.
Speaker 1: Gets to play him in the forgettable TV pilot. Then Michael C. Hall gets to play him on Broadway. Okay, But now we're moving into the most recent part of this thing, which is in twenty twenty two, Showtime did a ten part series The Man Who Fell to Earth, and I remember watching it originally and thinking, oh, this will be an interesting remake. They'll have taken that flawed but brilliant film and stretched it into ten episodes, and how interesting that'll be. But that's not what they did. It's forty five years later, and the person who is actually the film is about the Man Who Fell to Earth in the ten part Showtime series and I'm boy, you're gonna have to back me up on this. It's chuettl Ajiah.
Speaker 2: For is that I'm more confident on the last name than the first name.
Speaker 1: Okay, I hope that's right. And if I butchered his name, my apologies because he does a very nice job. But he is not playing the David Bowie character. He's playing a character named Faraday, an alien that has literally followed up Bowie's mission. The Newton mission that Bowie did in the film has been lost. Obviously, he didn't get his ship off, he didn't steal a bunch of water. He didn't get back to his planet in time to save his wife and two kids. That didn't happen. And now it's forty five years later and the Earth is in great trouble, and of course his planet is obviously in great trouble. And this is the part that I thought was really wonderful because I'm a big Bill kni fan, and I first tipped to Bill Nye as this incredible actor in Love actually the Christmas movie. He's the drunken rock star who sings Christmas Is All Around You, and he's just so freaking funny in this role, and he's so wonderful, So I know I loved him for all these roles, but this is a serious role. He is playing the Bowie role that it's forty five years later, and he has aged a little bit, because Bill Nye has aged a little bit, and he's great because he's been on the run. Remember at the end of the film, he takes off, and I guess he's been on the run from the CIA for a long time. And the premise, of course, is that the mission has failed. His planet, which we haven't mentioned, is called Anthea. So Anthea is still dying, and this other alien gets sent who becomes Faraday, which is the igia for character. Now, what's interesting is that they introduced some stuff that must be in the book but was not really touched upon at all in the film, which is back on Anthea. There are drones and adepts, two classes. It's class warfare there. The Adepts make all the decision and the drones do all the work.
Speaker 2: Whiches.
Speaker 1: You could argue, we're getting with that ourselves right now. And so what the Faraday character is a drone and he was a drone that worked for Newton, Yes, and so he comes to town. It's a complicated plot, and I don't know how much of it we need to get into, but I just want to say a couple of things about the quality of it. The writing is very strong, the performances are very strong. I do think people could benefit and have a great time watching the film with Bowie. But I'd also say don't write off the ideas watching this ten part series because it's strong. Alex Kurtzman is one of the executive producers. He does a great job, and they try to make sense of the whole thing. It's so many of these things. Brent Is it perfect. Not to everybody. It ain't perfect. How many things are the Godfather's close to perfect. But I don't know about it anything else. But it was important and it captivated me, and I enjoyed it. And I don't know how whether you've seen all of it or some of it, I'm curious what your thoughts are.
Speaker 2: I watched some of it and then I read about it. My big takeaways were, let me get the things that bothered me out of the way first. But this idea that forty five years has passed and whatever drought stricken problems Anthea had couldn't have gotten any better because David Bowie or Thomas Newton failed. Right now, the character is coming. Why did they wait forty five years? And then I thought, oh, maybe time is different on Anthea, right because it raises some practical issues. But I also found it interesting that when he comes down to Earth again that the story doesn't focus as much on all of the let's say, all the distractions for his mission. He comes down not trying to pull things over on humans so much. He just comes down and gets about his work. I found as big a Bowie fan as I was. I found a Geophoor's performance captivating. He brought humanity to the part of Faraday that I could relate to. I felt much more engaged with his problem than I did with Newton's. With Newton's I was going to detach, but I felt sad for him. It felt tragic.
Speaker 1: G four actually becomes, if you think about it, the Steve Jobs of his time, which is fascinating because it's a reverberation off the film version of The Man Who Felt Earth. Because Bowie becomes Elon Musk. That's right, true, Bowie or Bezos. Because Bowie's company is going to send this craft off and they're not hiding it. It's a public thing, it's a big deal. And he gets kidnapped by the government right at the time when he's going to be the sole occupant of this craft going. And by the way, it was never explained there again how that craft was full of water or whether he's playing to steal the water after it. They never got a chance to do it. But the point is they're trying to reverb off and they did successfully off some of the things.
Speaker 2: The writers made a very interesting choice and that I don't remember when, but there's like a flash forward early on that shows he succeeds. He's giving a speech about this revolutionary technology that he's created, and then we kind of go back and rewind and tell the whole story. And I thought, wow, that's interesting because it's such a stakes and complicated mission. I was surprised that they told us, oh, here's where it's going, right right up front. So it took away a lot of the mystery, I think is what I really remember enjoying about the original film, and so it stripped all that away and it made it a little bit more conventional storytelling. I think the last point I want to make about this, which again I just find this ironic, is in nineteen seventy six, I think the character of Thomas Dwton as it was portrayed by David Bowie felt very authentic to the cultural zeitgeist and how people might relate to aliens. Right. They were probably seen by the higher ups and the government as a threat. We need to abduct them, or we need to capture them and experiment on them. But humans were probably not. They were they didn't believe it was possible. Why because they hadn't been saturated with too many movies about an alien who comes to Earth. I think in those forty five intervening years, the audience has had movies like Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Alien Nation, The X Files, Dark Skies, Men and Black. The list goes on. So if you're trying to tell a modern day story about the man who fell to Earth, he's falling to a very different Earth, an Earth that has been conditioned to accept that there could be aliens. A lot of people in the world right now believe that, and a lot of people believe they walk amongst us, and as you said, they're kind of hiding in plain sight, building spacecraft sending them up. All of these things are completely acceptable today, and in nineteen seventy six, all of that would have been felt like science fiction, and that movie, in a weird way, did not. The original movie did not feel like science fiction.
Speaker 1: Very good point, and it is interesting because the people that are after Newton in the film are kind of cardboard in their own way. They're kind of ineffective, and honestly, there are parallels to Disclosure Day Spielberg's things in this ten part metelling, because there is a race on and their plan is to tell the whole world about something and the people that are trying to stop them are private contractors largely and government, but it's a much more credible threat. And I just want to tip my hat to an unexpected actress. Kate mulgrew plays this character, Drew Finch, who's in charge of stopping this, and she's very credible. She's tough as nails. I've rarely seen anybody portrayed that aggressively competent in maintaining the secret. I thought that was really good. I also want to just throw this out there. Bill Nye is every time he's on screen, he's magic because not only is he magic, but the fact that he's Thomas Newton is so incredible to sort of because he does embody the spirit of Bowie and his performances, and in that final episode, the tenth episode, his performance is just beyond great. He's angry and he's pissed. The Bowie version at the end of his film is resigned. Yes, the Bill Nye version at the end of this thing is just pissed. He has lost his family, he's lost everything, and these people are doing it again and he ain't happy, and he just spits the venom out and it's great. I just thought, hey, listen, So we could probably talk films and all that for a long time. But the premise we were kind of going forward was to say, look, here's this idea that begins in sixty three and it becomes a book, a film, a pilot, a stage play, and a series that's really a sequel, and this character has had this extended life. What does it mean with War of the Worlds. Really could say that War of the World's really was this malleable thing that you just basically it's like an alien invasion and they're invading. For every invasion in More of the Worlds whenever it's been made tells you about the times we live in. Do you think that's the same with the Thomas Newton character.
Speaker 2: I think War of the Worlds goes back to something more primal, that we are not the apex predators on this planet. If aliens invade, they will be in charge, they will take over, and again that goes back to the fear fantasy. And I think with the Thomas Newton story, the stranded on Earth alien, I feel like the underlying premise there that makes it so compelling is they walk among us, and it goes back to something. John Harrington said to me he'd seen aliens there here. I still don't know exactly what that means, but I think we can use our imagination. They're here, Okay, what are they doing? Are they my neighbors? Are they the people in charge? Are they just here You're on a solo mission trying to engineer something to take off the off world, in which case they kind of just fit in. They're contributing to the economy and hopefully they're paying taxes. But if they're here with a more nefarious agenda, and I think even the if I remember correctly the most recent version of The Man Who Fell to Earth, part of the idea was that Newton in the original film had been a victim in some ways of Western culture, and that the new character of Faraday was going to embrace the idea of what if we turn humans into drones? What if we actually bring the adepts down and they will be in charge, and we'll make the humans our drones, and so we can all be adepts. And so that's a little more subversive, But I think it's interesting to see that's the evolution of the story. It went from an innocent a stranger in a strange land, being torn up and turned around and disillusioned by Western culture, to someone that comes down with a plan. They know how to get things done, and they have a completely different view of mankind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right on. I found myself thinking one thing, because we got obsessed for a short period of time about War of the World's and let's face it, how does that end. Obviously, technologically, superior marauding invaders are defeated by what Amiba's disease that gets inside them, human disease that we can slough off as a cold would kill them. And I thought, what's the parallel for this particular sequence with the man who fell to Earth? And I think it's interesting if an advanced alien came here alone. Okay, War of the World's is the invasion, but if one of them came alone. And by the way, David Grush has certainly said there's bodies and biologics, and there's been ample whistleblowers who imply that there's more one. But let's say that this one happened. Somebody comes alone, and he tries to operate within capitalism and corporate power and the interest of the intelligence agencies and also addiction to drugs or alcohol, and media saturation. If an individual alien came and had to do that, would it be cute like et seeing something on TV that's funny, or would it not be cute. What happens in this version of events all through all of them is I guess the only way I would say it's grimly plausible. Okay, you could see that this alien isn't defeated by guns, ray guns or regular guns or anything. That's not what defeats him. He's defeated by Earth the way that Earth culture riblization takes him down. And that's metaphorically very rich. And that's one of the explanations for why is a drama. It's successful. But I think it's also probably true. The thing is, if you come in groups, you can survive potentially, but if you come as one, you don't have the upper hand. It may be that you have superior technology and all this stuff, which is certainly possible, But if you're just one, one individual creature from another planet, you got to walk among us.
Speaker 2: Yes, And the.
Speaker 1: Lesson of all of these versions is walking among humans is no picnic.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, I feel like a lot of us wake up every day and feel like Thomas Newton. Even though we're humans, we feel like aliens in our own world.
Speaker 1: But listen, the takeaway for me that I love most is what you just said a few minutes ago, because it's very sound, light and frequency, which is forty five years have gone on. But what's the difference in the world, And the difference is the world the very thing we talk about on sound, light and frequency. There's been this possible slow drip disclosure that makes use of the media right going back to the Robertson panel of fifty three, but certainly picking up steam through our own experience in the late nineties into some of the things we're learning now. Clearly, people in the time where the Bowie movie was made, we loved a good alien invasion, but we didn't believe they were here. Now now we believe they could be here now. Yeah, and that's the difference, and that's why these films and TV series and plays and books all matter. Anyway, well done, I endorse what you just said. That was great, all right.
Speaker 2: I think that brings us to the end of the road here. It's been fun to go back and relive one of my bad dates probably my worst date in high school. I feel like now I can put that behind me and all that trauma is gone. Let's move on.
Speaker 1: So we got some great stuff coming up in the rest of the season here and very excited about all of that. So folks keep on watching and watch the Skies too, See you later. Sound Light and Frequency is an iHeart podcast produced by Stellar Productions. It's executive produced by Nick Johnson and for Stellar Jackie's Abel. Our show's music was written by Anna Stumpf and Hamilton Lighthouser, and your hosts and executive producers are Bryce Abel, That's Me and Brent Friedman. Watch the Skies t