Speaker 1: This is the Patriots Catch twenty two podcasts with Evan Lazar and Alex Barla and Lazarre.
Speaker 2: Hello, everybody nailed it, joined us always buying our bar gap kit gap match. Here is Evan Lazar and Alex bars We went forty minutes without even mentioning Drake May's name. I think that guys talked abou him very briefly. That that's what we do here. We talked about the third running the third running.
Speaker 1: Back, and the nose tackles, and you and the maybe linebacker safety.
Speaker 2: And and us trying to, you know, put our our coaches hats on and talk about Marte Hafhu's role and you can save your quarterback, Tom. That's what we get. Elsewhere where's our awards? Where is our awards? That's a good question. I feel like we deserve we deserve an award for for not leading with quarterbacks on this show. And we're probably not gonna lead quarterbacks again. Like we'll get to the court, we'll get to the quarter don't get me wrong, but we're probably gonna talk about defensive tackles honestly. Off the top of the show, So Evan Lasar, Alex Bartha with you for the next couple of hours. The phone lines are open. We'll get to you guys in a bit. We're gonna probably run through some book keeping notes, as I like to say, and then I also give some early takes and before we pick up the phone, So just stay patient with us there. But before we do that, let's pay some of the bills and say, hey, Patriots fans. If you want to see Toyota's best offers, including those not seen on TV, go to buy Toyota dot com, Toyota's official website for deals for the official vehicle of the New England Patriots, Toyota, Let's Go Places and bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy. Bud Light the official beer sponsor of the New England Patriots. So we just watched this seventh training camp practice for your New England Patriots out at jil Stadium, a very very hot day seven here at in Foxborough. This was not that anybody cares, but this was the hottest day of the camp by far supposed to. Yeah, this was this was true training camp weather where it was hot as as heck out there and shells in helmets today. But honestly, I feel like especially for the passing game, Like it's not that all that different. Like we're not in Ota mode where there's no pads whatsoever, and we're in shorts and the T shirts. Like you're in shells, so you know, not quite as big as your normal shoulder pads, but shoulder pads of some sort. You just aren't in the full body armor. So it's not all that different. I would say then the fully padded practices in the past game. Obviously the run game is a little bit different, but we still saw a lot of pass game today. We'll talk about that, but off the top, I do want to get to some news items. Where do you want to start? So Judan or Gotsha, I think Judon is probably more pertinent ye to today. So Judon was out there a Patriots practice today. He did participate. He was a participant in practice. Although I didn't see him out there a ton, like you know, he was out there and it wasn't that he wasn't he wasn't not participating, but I wouldn't say that it was one hundred percent either, right, But he was a full participant just in terms of all the drills, and he was back out there Drodmeyo before practice mentioned that they had some sort of meeting the two of them. It didn't necessarily and this is purely speculative on my part reading between the lines, It didn't necessarily feel contractual that they were talking about, like, it didn't feel like they were in a negotiation room with each other. It more felt like, how do we amicably move forward?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And he said they had a great conversation, told us before practice that he expected Judon to practice in Judon did it in fact practice. So long story short, long waited, you know, opening here, gotscha gets paid, Judon still looking for his Where did the Patriots go from here? After Monday's dust up with Matt, Jared, Drod Mayo, Elliott Wolf, matc Grow and Jude, I'm leaving practice and then coming back today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a million dollar question, or probably more like a fourteen fifteen, sixteen million dollar question, like I don't know, you know, you walk away from what happened on Monday, and then I think it was the right move to not have him out there Tuesday, let the temperature come down.
Speaker 2: But then yesterday he's on Twitter.
Speaker 1: There's a report that they had offered him a contract which apparently wasn't true.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's just like.
Speaker 1: There's clearly issues here, there's clearly deep issues here.
Speaker 2: Where do you go?
Speaker 1: But he gets back out there today based off what Jarrod Mayo said, I mean, the vibe kind of got from that, and I think he left it open a little of do interpretation that was probably on purpose, But the vibe I got from that was kind of just we're gonna forget about it. Right it happened. We're just not gonna mention it. We're gonna move on and that's in the past. And that's probably the only way to do it if you're gonna keep him here, because you and a player just openly subordinate a practice to then turn around and reward that guy. Set's quite the president. So I look, you're gonna have to get something done, like he's clearly not gonna play under his current contract. I think what's been and by the way, I thought this was best for both sides before Monday, figure out some sort of band aid to get through the rest of this year, and then at the end of the season you go your separate ways.
Speaker 2: I think that's what's best for both parties now more than ever, Yeah, I'm with you. I've been saying for a while now that my solution to this problem for the Patriots is going the route of tacking on an incentive package onto his current contract that would be likely to be earned for him, you know things technically this kind of confusing minuitia, but technically they would be not likely to be earned just because of how little he played last year. But in the grand scheme of things, it's like, if you play more games than you did last year, well, odds are he's gonna do that. If you had more sacks than you did last year, odds are he's gonna do that. You know, maybe there's a bigger kicker for like double digit sacks Pro Bowl, you know, something like that, and you go that direction and that way there it gets him on board for the short term. Maybe you do revisit a trade at the deadline if you're out of it, which some expect them to be if they're I think the deadlines a right around Halloween, right, it's like November. It's actually I think it's on election Day this year. It's like early November, and you know, maybe seven eight weeks into the season. If you're two and six at that point and it's really a complete reset, rebuild year. Then maybe you look to trade him to a contender at that point, you know, the Niners call or Cincinnati calls or whatever, and you're able to deal him at that point. That way, there he gets to contender, maybe they work out an extension with him once he gets to his new landing spot, and he's probably more likely to earn all those incentives because he's going to go play real football down the stretch. So everybody in that case is somewhat happy. I understand from his perspective that he probably wants more long term security than that, But the reality is is that it sets him up to hit the open market next year. If he has a good year this year, he might get that, you know Zadarius Smith contract, like a two year, twenty five million dollar deal. Maybe more like he could even go and do the Jadeveon Clowney pass rush for a higher thing where he's just signing one year deals with contenders every year. Yeah. Yeah. So the good news is in the short term, very very short term, is that it seems like him and Mayo have come to an agreement to that. Matthew Junon is not going to be hopefully not going to be into distraction like he was the other day, and we've gotten to that point. Related to that, obviously, is the news yesterday, which we all when Drew Rosenhaus was here the other day, you could smell something was coming, right, it seemed pretty obvious and we all kind of saw this coming. But Devon Godshaw signs a two year extension with the Patriots. He seems happy. Spoke after practice today, you know, like he said, not as happy as I could have been, because no one everyone always wants more money. We want more money in our jobs. He wants more money in his but he seems taken care of for the short term as well. What we're not even about the process of how we got here. Think we're over that now, but just what is your impression of paying Devon Godsha. And we should mention that this deal is the money that is going to get push to the twenty twenty five is expected to be light right, Like it's not going to be a significant amount on their twenty twenty five cap in terms of guaranteed money, but you are committed to Devon Gotsha for this year, and if there's a decent amount of guaranteed money next year a chunk, I should say, then you probably have him on your roster in twenty five as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I kind of feel the same way about this as I did about the Remonders Evens contract, where I don't know if I would have done it. I just they talk about being more aggressive, little bit older guy, or a scheme specific or situation specific.
Speaker 2: Player, not that Remondre is.
Speaker 1: But at the end of the day, it's just like those are the reasons why I maybe would have and you can get good defensive tackles, Like I maybe would have moved on, But it's not enough money for me to get worked up about it. Like I don't think they handcuffed themselves really at all with this contract. Yeah, if he's a good player, it's gonna look brilliant if he continues to be a good player for them. If not, it's not a ton of money, the terms not a lot. You can still they absolutely have the flexibility to go in another direction if they need to go in another direction.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, I don't mind it. Like I don't hate the move.
Speaker 1: I probably wouldn't have done it, but I also don't think there's really any significant downside there.
Speaker 2: So I feel two ways about this, and in like my class half full, my glass half empty, take on it, my glass half full, take on it is exactly what you just said, which is right now according to over the cap And this didn't necessarily factor in the Godschaw extension yet when I looked at it. But it's not going the Gotshaw extension is not going to take the from seventy eight million dollars in cap space next offseason to forty Like it's not that big of a deal, right, So we're talking about something that's marginal. So let's just call it north of seventy million dollars in cap space next year. And that's a luxury of having a rookie quarterback on a rookie contract. But it's also the reality of the fact that you don't have a ton of top end talent that are high priced.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, but at the same time, they've gotten all these extensions done, Like who.
Speaker 2: Are there penning free agents? Yeah they are. It's like Jonathan Jones and yeah, is that it Judon judeon right? Yeah? Yeah. So the point is on the glass half full side, is that it will not be Their cap is not going to be a problem next year for them adding significant talent to this roster. Now, I can't sit here on the on the show and promise that the cash isn't going to be the problem, right, but the cap is not going to be the problem. So if you're one of those these people that are like worried that they paid Devon Godshaw and now they're not going to go out in trade for Brandon Nyuk in the off season, are signed to Higgins in the off season, those two things are not necessarily directly correlated unless you're a cash person you're worried about Robert Kraft literally cutting a check for Brandon Nyuk. If you're in that school thought, then they've spent some money this year. They're top ten right now, and cash spent for this team this year. They're going to be a little bit higher now at Devon Godshaw's deal, and probably a little bit higher with Matthew Judon's deal if it does get done. So there are some concerns about it from that respect. From a player perspective, like an on the field scheme perspective, I actually don't hate keeping him around. They were the number three run defense in the league by DVA last year. One of the best in the league at stopping the run. He plays a very important role we know that is a two gapping nose tackle. I guess Jeremiah Farms was probably the closest thing that they had to him on the roster. But I think there's a drop off there between Jeremiah Farms and Devon Godshaw. So what I'm getting at with that is that I look at it almost like it's a boat. Like it's a canoe where we're riding this different the boat of the Mystery Box. Yeah, we're riding this this canoe up the Charles River. And the Patriots canoe has holes in it. It's taken on water. Right quarterback until proven otherwise, receiver until proven otherwise, left tackle till proven otherwise. We have this boat with all these holes. If they started to tear down this roster and they take the Devon Godshot piece out, and they take the Kyle Duggar piece out, and they take the mic On Winnu piece out, and they take the Remondra Stevenson piece out, now all of a sudden, your canoe is not just taking on water. Now you're underwater, and I think what they're what they've done is that they've reinforced what's left of the canoe. And yeah, and now what they have to do is they have to go out and plug the holes that are already pre existing. And and to that end, they haven't gotten there yet. They're not where. We haven't checked that box yet. But a lot of these people that are lamenting extending or resigning players that were part of afore win football team last year, well you have to also look at it from the perspective of if you take all those players out of this roster, then you have even more holes and even further play. You're even further away from being competitive at that point. So that's how I look at Devon Godshaw too. You know, Devone Godshaw is a good early down run, stuffing nose tackle in your defense. If you pull him that django piece out, now that the tower starts to get a little lobbily, right, right. So that's a big part of it too. Uh So I don't hate I think of the remondre comp is good too, Like I don't love playing a situation paying a situational player in today's NFL when the situation is run stopping. I don't love it, but at the same time I can understand where they're coming from that they didn't want to create another hole in the boat.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So that that's where we're out with that last bit of news here right before we got on the air. Actually, Mike Purcell, who is a I think it's Percell, Percell person Percell, for sure, it's Percell. We'll get the Purcell. So Mike Purcell, for it was with the Denver Broncos last year, had a cup of coffee with the Patriots in the twenty seventeen season on their practice squad. But this is a guy with some NFL production and is an NFL player, you know, played a decent amount of snaps. I think it was four hundred and something snaps last year for the Denver Broncos. So when I look at this deal with him, he's a bigger guy, you know.
Speaker 1: Not.
Speaker 2: This isn't a This isn't a Daniel Qualley, right, this is a three pound listed at three eight. Yeah, into your defensive lineman. I look at their base front, their base defensive line on first down, and when you pull the Christian Barmore piece out of that which is just we haven't talked about that actually on the show.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's not much you know, we're gonna address football side of but like it sucks, you hope the dude on his twenty fifth birthday, man, hope he's yeah.
Speaker 2: I hope he's doing all right. Uh And from a football side of it, like you said, it sucks when you pull him out though. Just again, no one's Christian Barmore. No one's saying is Mike Purcell is Christian Barmore? Okay, But when I did this yesterday when they re signed Godshaw, I tweeted out what I thought was probably going to be their starting base nickel, their three three five based nickel team, and that weak side three four end spot. You have Dietrich Wise and you have Davon Godshaw. You know those two guys are probably gonna be on the field on first down. The third spot? Is it Keon White? Is it armand Watts? Is it Jeremiah Farms? Is it Daniel Aqualae? Like that's that spot is right now because Barmore was supposed to be there, and now that Barbour is not there at least for the foreseeable future, there's a pretty massive void to fill there. A guy like Purcell, to me, is someone that can come in and stop to run a little bit on first down, so that maybe you can go to like still a pretty big front in that odd front right where you still have a three hundred and twenty pound guy similar to maybe more so to like a Lawrence guy than a than a Christian Barmore. And that that to me is what that spells, is that, Okay, you know with Keon White, splashier player, but two hundred and eighty five, two hundred and eighty pounds on first down, teams are going to target him in the run game. They're gonna run right at them, right that that's gonna be problematic for us. We don't really think that a quality or armand Watts are early down players. You think of those guys more as interior pass rushers in obvious passing situations. So a guy like Purcell, I think, can come in and be sort of that base three four end which they are missing now obviously without Barmark.
Speaker 1: And look, he can play on the nose too if you need him, and gives them some depth with Jeremi Jeremiah Farms.
Speaker 2: Really there are only no other nose tackles.
Speaker 1: I said, like Daniel Aquali's here, but he's more of an attacking up field, aggressive defensive tackle.
Speaker 2: I put Tristan Hill in that category. Two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm honestly not as familiar Tristan Neil, but like three hundred ten pounds, he's not a nose now and he looks like like.
Speaker 2: A leaner guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he doesn't look there would be some upside that he's an interesting players, a second round pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we definitely talked about Tristan Hill in that draft that he was. Yeah, you know, we kicked around.
Speaker 1: But if you're talking about you know, I wass go back to Danny Shelton. Do you have just a big body you can put in the middle and get in the way, And I mean that's Devon Godshaw, But if you know you want depth there, it's physical position or like you said, you want to put another guy on the edge, it's it was really Jeremiah Farms. It's the only other guy they've had in that mold. And at the very least, Percelle gives you another option. You know, whether he makes the team or not, he's certainly somebody that think would be a practice squad candidate. Yeah, if they end up sticking with Farms on the roster, but gives them another big body in the middle.
Speaker 2: Yep, absolutely, all right, last bit of uh, I think we covered all of it. Oh, David Andrews back at practice today. That's good to see his wife. Actually, just I don't know which social media platform they all blent together. I think it was Instagram. She posted a quick update about their son and said that he's out of the hospital and it seems like he he just had a virus and he's going to be okay. So that's great news to hear. But that that's a way of telling you that this was a personal reason that he missed the last couple of practices. Yeah, and not of he said that.
Speaker 1: He said that during his availability to his son was in the hospital. Yeah, so I think he said he was expecting him home today.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yeah, so this wasn't anything physical with David Andrews. So he was back out there again today. And then you mentioned we well, in the in the open, we had this great Marte Mopho segment where we had this this super hybrid role planned for Marte mop Who that was going to make him a star and then he has some sort of injury that has not and has not practiced in a couple of days now and has been out there taking mental reps but has not actually participated in practice since when I want to say, we're going on three or four practices now that he hasn't been practicing, and for him, we're gonna do three up, three down as well from our our first seven days of camp. But that one is it's tough as a second year player trying to make a roster, trying to carve out a role, to not be out there. And if you feel for him, because he looks he looks like it visually right, you know when you watch him out there at practice, how frustrated he is that he can't be out there. So that's a little bit of a bookkeeping. I do want to talk about the quarterbacks before we get into the emails and the calls, and again see your calls up there. We're gonna get you guys in the second eight five to five. Pass five hundred is the phone number in web radio at Patriots dot Com is the email address. But I want to talk a little bit about the quarterbacks, and I'm just gonna come out and say it. Benvolan of the Boston Globe has caused quite a stir. I would say it's fair to put it because he wrote in his analysis that he feels as though Joe Milton has been better than Drake May in training camp. And he said that you wouldn't know which one was the third overall pick and which one was the sixth round pick. Now, there is definitely some element truth that Joe Milton has been better than expected. I think he has. I think that's how I would put it. He's been better than I expected, and he, no doubt is a terrific quarterback from a physical tools perspective. That arm is as advertised and maybe then some yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you understand now? I was kind of geeked up about him.
Speaker 2: It's the and granted I'm not I'm not an elder statesman yet, so it's only it's my seventh training camp. I'm I'm not you know someone that's seen thirty of these or something like that. But that's the livest arm I've ever seen. And it's not just the deep ball, it's like it's the way he can drive the ball.
Speaker 1: He had a throw today where I mean it was like a fifteen yard throw, but he had this tiny window to put it in and just I mean got it there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it the ball When when we say he's one of the scouting cliches and we say the ball jumps out of his hand explodes, Yeah, this guy. The ball explodes out of his hand like a freaking cannon. Absolutely, and there's no doubt about it. Now. We talked about this a little bit on Patriots Unfiltered after the draft, and maybe we kicked it around here too. This is exactly what I was concerned about going in was and it's not a shot at volin. But when you watch these two guys in practice, there isn't a big difference from a physical tools perspective in the two guys. And we knew that coming in because his nickname is literally Bazuoka Joe, so we knew he was gonna look impressive in the red non contact jersey when he has a huge arm, He's six five, two hundred and thirty five pounds out there doing backflips and pads. He's an impressive athlete, There's no doubt about that. And I sort of expected this to happen, but at the same time, I don't think that all of the all the worries about Drake May, I don't think are necessarily where I'm at with it with him. I think the biggest thing is just to kind of spell it out. This offense that they're running with Alex Van Pelt reminds me and and really the bones of their passing game have pretty much lined up exactly to Mike McCarthy's offense, and that's obviously where Van Pelt learned it from in gam Bay. They are a West Coast offense. They are a timing based passing game. Now they have the under center stuff to play action stuff, the boots and all that kind of stuff, but I'm talking about when it's third and six. You know, when they're in the gun, they're in they're passing the football for real. They are a timing and rhythm based pass game. It's West Coast. It's you know, five step drop, three step drop, get the ball out. And that is something that we knew coming in with his footwork and with his rhythm and his drops, that Drake May was going to need to work on and the things that I saw from him earlier in the week, and it was it was better today, and I want to get to that the things that I was seeing from him earlier in the week were a quarterback that was still trying to time up everything and that wasn't necessarily seeing the field quickly enough or seeing it well enough. Because of the fact that this offense is very much a rhythm based offense. I think that that's why it's looked at times that Joe Milton has been ahead of him. It's also looked very clear to me that Jacoby Brissett is well.
Speaker 1: Jacoby Brissett's also so I think a lot of this has to do and look does it. Drake May struggled the last two days. He was better today and I don't want to take away from that, but I think some of this also has to do with compared to expectations. Joe Milton has been better than expected, Jacoby Brissett has been better than expected. Drake May has not done as well as expected. But the difference is, especially when it comes to May and Milton. Joe Milton's bar was not nearly in the same place as Drake May's bond.
Speaker 2: It's a good point, and I also think when it.
Speaker 1: Comes to Brisset, you hear about the gap and people talk about the gap between May and Bursett and it being bigger than we expected, and it is bigger than we expect, but that's not just because of Drake May. I would argue that's more because of Jacoby Burssett in him exceeding exceeding expectations than it is where Drake May is at. So it's just kind of this perfect storm of Joe Milton hasn't been better than Drake May. I don't think when you factor in the reps he's getting who he's going with, et cetera, etc. All that, But Joe Milton compared to his expectations does look more impressive than Drake May compared to his. If you flip them, we'd be panicking about Joe Milton right now and we'd be saying Drake May is holding his own.
Speaker 2: So, oh yeah, it's a different they at a different bar, right.
Speaker 1: There's there's context there when you say Joe Milton has been better than Drake May. There is a context in which that's true. I just don't think it's the context that's relevant from a football standpoint.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would also say that there to me, just charting some of the plays that they ran for both guys. I do see a little bit of a difference in the plays that they're.
Speaker 1: Asking when I'm talking about like the kind of reps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, they haven't put Joe Milton under center nearly as much as they've done with Drake. Drake may to me, is running the full gamut of the Alex Van Pelt offense, and they're going to see instead of instead of adding if they decide to start Drake Mayo, or at what point they do decide to start Drake may this year, there, I believe are going to They're going to subtract from this point. So they threw it all at him and to see what sticks. And then let's say, come week one against the Bengals, for whatever reason, whether he outplays, perset is not available, whatever, they have to play him in Week one against the Bengals, You're probably going to get a stripped down version of what their whole the birth of their offense actually is. Right, and then they would only call they'd have a script where they would only call plays, you know, the fifteen to twenty plays that he feels comfortable running at this point, instead of giving him the full gamut. Whereas with with Joe Milton, I've seen a lot more of the type of stuff he was more doing a Tennessee like spread rpo, you know that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: You think we see the wide splits in a preseason game.
Speaker 2: No, but you brought up the preseason. I think that's important. I'm sure Drake May will play it in the preseason, but I should. But my guess is that in order to have Joe Milton succeed in the preseason, this is how they're gonna call it. Right, They're gonna call it with a little bit more gun, a little bit more rpo, a little bit more Tennessee style college style, whereas they really want Drake May operating their full game into their pro style system. So it's a little bit different. It's not apples to apples in terms of what they're being asked to do, who they're playing with, all those kinds of things. But it is fair to say that Drake has I want to I want to say disappointing, like underwhelming, disappointing, like those are the kind of the words I'm thinking, because it's not been terrible, and I do think it's important to say that he's been better today or he will well. Just to that point.
Speaker 1: I think some of it is how you phrase again, like how you phrase it, because I've heard behind schedule used a lot. Yeah, if we're talking about and I know you want this, yes, but if we're talking about week one and him starting week one, yes, Drake May is behind schedule. If the plan is for him to be the starter week one, he's behind schedule. But the reality is it's probably not the plan, and you can argue it shouldn't be. If the plan is for him to take over at some point during the season, he's Bowery should be like, it's a learning process, right, and so it I feel like a lot of people are disappointed because they heard you and others like you gassing up week one. It's on the table. He should be the guy. I don't want to waste time with Jakobe Brissette.
Speaker 2: You're not alone in this.
Speaker 1: I'm using you as an example. I know Jim Murray's been big on this too.
Speaker 2: I'll take responsibility for this, but I will so when you hear that, I got a little over zealous when you yeah, so you saying the whole thing about oh well, with Joe Milton, they're they're just gonna see the shiny toy. It's gonna be proper for trick. Mate, You're not innocent in all this when you wasn't wrong about them seeing the shiny toy with Joe Milton.
Speaker 1: By the way, Okay, but you fed the fire because I was right when you set the expectation for week one. Then, yeah, you look at the performance he's had the last few days and you say he's not gonna be ready. He's probably not gonna be ready for week one. He's playing catch up at this point in order to be ready for week one. When you look at it and say, all right, can he get in there by the end of October? Yeah, that's still very much on the table. That timeline hasn't necessarily been knocked loose or anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I think that's where some of the panic comes from. Two people just working on an unrealistic timeline.
Speaker 2: So can I push back a little bit on the panic word? Yeah, not I ate you specifically, but just if it's like this in two weeks, I won't be panicked, but I will definitely have my foot on the brake pedal right and say, all right, we gotta be realistic about this. He's not close. He's gonna have to sit. So you're still not rolling out week one, No, because I still feel like a lot can change because days are it's not develops, not ear velue.
Speaker 1: You want the mac Jones giants practice. That's what you're holding out hope for, is the mac Jones giants.
Speaker 2: I guess holding out. You can say I'm holding out hope for it, but the reality is that could like that's very much in play, and it's just one day today, but we already saw him make some incremental improvements today. You know today he he checks into a into a blitzer, you know cover zero beater, gets them into a perimeter screen, gets tapped up by Jacoby Jacoby Marrish, Jacoby Brissett afterwards with yeah, he hits the you know, they get a under center and he hits the the corner route to Mitchell Wilcox off play action, which is a it's a flood concept, you know, vertical clear out, corner route fills in underneath it. I could pull up cutups off my laptop of him doing it at North Carolina. I probably have twenty of them, right, Like, that was a throw that he loved to throw at North Carolina, especially going into the field like like off the on the far hash, because he has all this space to just kind of layer the ball into a very good throw for him that he loves throwing. In sevens, he hits you know, Michael Petaway coming across the field on a nice throat. Did I say pet Away again?
Speaker 1: Ye?
Speaker 2: Petway coming across the field. I'm not a big sevens guy. I don't really care too much about what he does in sevens, but it helps my argument absolutely.
Speaker 1: But we do.
Speaker 2: You're seeing these little incremental improvements. Now. If he comes out tomorrow and it's just this he saw this rookie roller coaster and he bombs tomorrow, then I'll go back to saying, all right, let's put our foot on the on the brake pedal. But even though we're not I think it's fair to say we're not early anymore. But we're still not done in terms of training camp, and it's all building up in my mind to the preseason game and into the joint practice with the Philadelphia Eagles. Two those games in the joint practice, which we'll see plenty of Drake may in those are gonna determine whether or not he's truly ready to start early. It's not gonna be these practices that we're watching right now when they're laying base stuff and they're laying foundation and all that kind of stuff. The last thing I'll say about it, and he almost did it today and I almost jumped out of my seat. And then he pulled it down and ran with it, and I was it was killing me. It's like, let it go. He was rolling to his right. Ye had Juju Smith Schuster downfield with in single coverage, no safety. The safety was on the other side of the field, and he's rolling to his right. In his head, I knew he was thinking of launching it off platform right like true tar heels style, you know, just one of those Josh Allen Patrick Mahomes off platform throws that we know are in his bag. And he tucked it and ran with it. And I don't know if that was because it's a drill and that wasn't the progression and YadA YadA, YadA, or what the reason was behind it. But when they get into the preseason games, I'm allowing for the fact that it might look like he's a rookie and he's not ready, but I'm also allowing for the fact that some of that playground football stuff, some of that just being an athlete and going out there and slinging it, that might come into play a little bit more when we get into the actual games than what they're doing here in practice. So to go back to the West Coast offense thing, they're running a timing based West Coast offense where they're asking Drake May to execute these plays in structure like they want this to get how it's drawn up in the playbook. Here's your five or seven step drop, here's your progression, read one, two, three and out right like that's what they're looking at right now from Drake May. Where I feel like as a quarterback, that was gonna be a work in progress for him. Footwork, timing, rhythm, anticipation, like those types of things were not gonna come to him overnight. That was gonna be a repetition in a build up. So in two weeks, if we get to the point where Drake May is still looking like he looked earlier this week, I will say I will come on this show and I look at you and obvious say I was wrong. I was too over zealous. I got too excited. Right right now, I'm still holding out hope. I still feel like that this could still like that light could just kind of switch on for him and we could be looking at a different player in a couple of weeks. But you're right, the stuff that I was saying before, I'm looking wrong right now about him being able to start Week one. But I also think that Jacoby Brissett deserves some credit for that. Absolutely, what have you seen from Jacoby Brissett? Might as well put that out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's nothing flashy. I don't think he's gonna come out and win MVP. I don't think he's gonna come out and throw for five thousand yards. But and maybe this is just having watched this offense the last two years and where the bar is. He gets him in out of the huddle, he gets him up and down the field, and let's I mean, there's a bunch of different conversation here, right. We can talk about the offensive line, the top offensive line, and they changed it today, but before today, they had a consistent group. Yeah, per set ahead time, he was making the right reads. He was delivering the football like it was functional, and again shouldn't be that high of a bar. It is a high bar, but it is a functional.
Speaker 2: Professional operation.
Speaker 1: And there were a couple of throws there he made that You're like, oh, okay, I didn't realize.
Speaker 2: He had that, especially that was the first day in pads. Yeah, he threw the one to Baker and Thornton within like, I don't know, a sequence of like five or six reps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he dropped them in the bucket of Thornton and then he made a throw to Baker. Like, he can do some of that off platform, off schedule stuff too. Let's not act like he's a statue in the pocket, right, So.
Speaker 2: He's not a runner, but he's definitely someone that can move around.
Speaker 1: He's not gonna run, he's not gonna scramble, but he can throw on the run and he can throw off platform when he needs to.
Speaker 2: And he's done some of that.
Speaker 1: Again, I'm not saying he's out here looking like Patrick Mahomes, but he's that word expectations again from what I was expecting.
Speaker 2: He's it's one level above that. He's Look, the guy's.
Speaker 1: One of the thirty two best quarterbacks in the NFL. I feel like he gets talked about as a washout. Yeah, he's a starting caliber quarterback. Now, he's not necessarily at the caliber where he's not a franchise quarterback. He's not a guy where he's your starter, you're locking him in and set it and forget it. Right, But again, he is a I would say he's a top twenty starting quarterback in the NFL.
Speaker 2: It might be like nineteen twenty, yeah, but maybe I mean like in Cleveland in twenty two. And I know everybody points that that is not anti perset, but just on the other side points to his record in Cleveland. So he started eleven games, I think there are four and seven. The record in Cleveland counts. It's Cleveland. Okay, well, you know they're good last year.
Speaker 1: But besides the point, right, yeah, the one year they don't have any quarterbacks, they're good.
Speaker 2: That's just classic Browns. Statistically speaking, he was decent with the Browns two years ago in this offense. And the one thing with Brissett that is definitely there. In that season with Cleveland in twenty two, he was tenth in the league in big time throw rate. Like this guy can make some of those franchise quarterback throws. Now, is it consistent on a Mahomes level or is it the other elements of his game? Are they consistent? Not necessarily, and that's probably why the record reflects that he's not, you know, this franchise guy. But he was up there in the league that year in the amount of impressive you know, with PFF calls him big time throws, you want to call them franchise quarterback throws, wow throws, whatever, those types of throws that were like he made the other day with you know, the dropping in the bucket and Taekwon's a great throw. You know, the laser to Javon Baker and against cover two in the whole good throw. Like, those are throws that we would I would log and PFF would log as Betts, those are big time throws. Now, he's had struggles with consistency and you know, playing four full quarters and like all that kind of stuff. But you know, just as an example, remember when the Browns and the Bills had to play that game in Detroit because if there's like some storm or something like that, regardless they played the game of Detroit. Go watch that film for Jacoby Brissett in twenty twenty two Brown's Bills. He's light in the world on fire in the first half of that game. Like, he looks like a legitimate quarterback in that game. And I'm not ruling that out this year, that he's gonna have moments that he could have moments like that. Will it result in wins and losses? I don't know, But I think he could have moments of those types of things and that could be enough to keep Drake May on the bench. And whether you want to call that a good thing or a bad thing is up to you. Like, in some ways, it's buying the Patriots time to allow Drake mel May to develop. Behind the scenes, you wish that Drake May would would take it right right, but we're not gonna be able to see that once camp ends and we're closed out of practice. So that's that's where we're at with the quarterbacks. I am still there's no way I'm coming off the Drake May train after seven practices in two I'm not expecting to come off the train. And I'm not either. I'm not either.
Speaker 1: Like I still like the pick. I still think he's the right guy. I still think he has a chance to be a true difference making quarterback in this league. I just don't think he's gonna be that week one of the twenty twenty four season. And that's perfectly okay. The worst thing you can do, the worst thing that could happen is he's not that guy for week one of the twenty twenty four season. Yet you put him out there and try to make him be that anyway before he's ready, because that's how you ruin a guy's confidence and you create bad habits.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let me ask you this though. Yeah, let's say they decide that they feel like organizationally, and they probably won't feel this way because Elliott comes from the Green Bay Packers and that whole school thought of you know, Aaron Rogers and Jordan Love and like these guys that have sat right, So I don't think that this is how they're gonna view it. But just for the sake of the argument or the discussion, let's say they feel like it's better for him to learn on the job. That's the issues that he has are only gonna be fixed with game reps, right, and only be fixed with playing. So it's better for him to learn on the job. But we're gonna have to pare down the playbook and not necessarily that they're only gonna have him throwing five yard passes. I'm just saying, we're gonna have to manage this right what he's doing, and a lot of that could be a lot of play action right like that always helps for quarterbacks and bootlegs. They are getting him outside the pocket, which will help you know you now you're only reading one side on the field instead of these full field progressions, like all these little things that they could do to pare down the playbook to the point where they're not asking him to carry the world on his shoulders. Would you be against that line of thought?
Speaker 1: Yes, And maybe some of this is just the way you put it, maybe some, But you're talking about learning on the job, right, So that implies he's not ready. That implies there's a chance that even doing this is not going to be enough. I've said this since the beginning. This is my biggest take on Drake May and when he should start. You cannot, under any circumstance short of major injury, pull him once.
Speaker 2: He is your starter. He is your starter.
Speaker 1: You cannot get to week three and realize, oh crap, he's not ready and go back to Jacoby Brissett that is the most destabilizing thing you can do for the organization. So if you're doing that because you feel he will be, not can be, will be competitive in that setting, you could sell me on it. If you're doing that because well, this is the only way we're going to get him on the field, then no, because that means he's not ready to be on the field and you can't put him out there and then realize we've made a terrible mistake. He's not ready because you can't bench him. So that would scare me a little bit. Yes, Okay, that's fair enough.
Speaker 2: I just feel like, to me, all the things that I've seen him have some trouble with in these practices, or all the things that we talked about pre draft or some of his yet none of this is a surprise, by the way, right, That's what I'm getting at is that that's why I'm not panicking, Not because A you shouldn't panic after seven freaking practices, people like it's calm down. But B the other reason why I'm not panicking is because we knew that operating in structure, rhythm, footwork, timing, anticipation, all these types of boxes were all the things that he needed to work on from the college game. Like if you thought that he was gonna come in and he was gonna, you know, be this efficient quarterback right off the jump, then that's not the guy that they drafted. Like we knew that. We knew that. So I wonder if there is a school of thought that says that the only way that he's gonna learn or only way that they're going to train him up in those areas is playing. And at that point, then you have to figure out a way to get him on the field on Sundays not shatter his confidence completely, which would mean probably going in with a pair of down playbook. But at that point, just don't just wait, But how is he going to get the reps? Because you're if you're getting Jacolia Bussette ready to play the game, right, he's gonna have to get the reps in practice. You might be able to get some reps for Drake may in practice mental reps. They've they've hyped up that VR thing like you're gonna be in the VR headset. I would also I would be giving him more reps with the starters now for that exact reason. Yeah, I would. I think we all would love to see that.
Speaker 1: And and Mayo said today is gonna happen. He didn't say win, but he did say it's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we would all love to see that. All right, let's let's take some of these phone calls and then we'll do our three up, three down. And we got some emails as well. So Aiden is in brighton what's up? Aiden? Hey? Yeah, you're on What's up?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 3: I love the show, guys, thanks the much. Just shout out nerds everywhere. But really quick, I wanted to ask about one of the best players on defense.
Speaker 4: Kyle Dolger.
Speaker 3: I feel like around the league he's aired nationally the most cred warrant and I personally want him to move the middle linebacker. I think for three reasons. One, I think get your best player closer to the ball and make more plays. Two, he has this kind of like more of him and Ryan Sheet and you're kind of vibe that you want that I really like, And I think that it would even out the spacey room a lot better in terms of their skill sets matching up on the field, having Jalen Hawkins and more of a free safety role. So I just want to get your opinion on whether or not you could do it and how do you think that would fit with the defense? Thank Gus Love Show.
Speaker 2: Thanks Aden, thanks for the call. That's an interesting theory. I could see it in certain situations, like if you wanted to put him at the second level of the defense on a third and long or you know, a two minute or something like that, where he's like basically just playing coverage linebacker at that point. And you mentioned Fred Warners and all around demon but like maybe that that sort of element to Fred Warner's game on third and eight, he could play there and make it work as an every down linebacker. I think the biggest thing is that they would have to change how they play up front to have a two hundred and fifteen and twenty pound guy playing at the second level. And this is what we've always talked about with getting faster and all that kind of stuff. If you're gonna be like a spacating two gapping whatever you want to call it, odd front defense. That the reason why they have bigger backers, like to Vi Bentley, those players is because they have to play in a phone booth and take on guards, and take on lead blockers and take on guys in the trash in the trenches, and you're you're gonna get run over like a bowling pin if you're too small playing in that spot. So that that's a big reason why they they still deploy like a Bentley uh or even at Tavia when he's at the second level, is because their system asked them to take on mostly guards often, and you have to have some size obviously to do that. I also just would say, you know, to his point, almost the they're like box safety if you want to call it that, or their hybrid safety role has so much linebacker overlap that they're they're playing a ton of linebacker style reps playing in those spots that there. It's almost like it's it's almost we're almost arguing about nothing. Right Like here we're saying he needs to play linebacker.
Speaker 1: He's playing like a linebacker, whether he's in those positional meetings or not.
Speaker 2: That's how they're using him, right exactly, exactly, All right, Patty is an agua? What's up? Patty?
Speaker 4: What's hear me?
Speaker 1: Ye?
Speaker 2: How's it going?
Speaker 5: But so I just had a quick question for you. But first, Evan got to get your props on I am the Tiger and Alex the I watched, I watched the the show he did the other day with the crossover, the Killer Crossover from three different three different shows. It was awesome along with you and I just wanted to know if, now, now this is a crazy hypothetical, Cayden Wallace is your left tackle for the year and plays at.
Speaker 4: A Pro Bowl level.
Speaker 5: It doesn't make the Pro Bowl, but just plays at at a pretty high level. Do you go into next year's draft look in the draft, maybe you're you know, like a replacement for Judah off the edge of cornerback. Do you focus more on defense like trade down. Where do you go from there? Or do you still think that left tackle is that big of a priority even if you have a guy in house that's playing at a great level. And I'll take it off here, guys.
Speaker 2: Thanks Patty. That's a great question, Patty, great question for this show. So it's a great point. If Cayden Wallace, who I want to call it themotion because we don't know, but he was with the second team offense today after being with the first team offense earlier in the week. But I do like what I've seen out of Kiden Wallace, on the whole YEA and think he's he's on track right now to be a Day one starter for the Patriots at left tackle or right tackle, depending on where they settle, but probably left. So if Cayden Wallace ends up being I don't even necessarily think he needs to be probable level. Let's just say he starter level at tackle. And as a rookie, do you feel like we can move off of Will Campbell, Kelvin Banks or and move on to a different position.
Speaker 1: Let's not forget they have another tackle spot. That's a question too, and chokes a cor four is on a one year contract, and what's happening on the right side. So yeah, I would argue, and there's it's a hypothetical, and there's hypotheticals on hypotheticals here, there's layers. If Cayden Wallace is good at left tackle, I'd argue, he's probably gonna be great at right tackle. And then I would consider drafting Calvin Banks or Will Campbell and moving Caden Wallace to the right side, back at his natural position, And maybe he takes a jump on the right side, and now you're set set, Now you're golden up front. There is also though an argument to be made that, okay, you have a solid love tackle Judea on leaves. James Pierce Junior is the top edge rusher in this class from Tennessee.
Speaker 2: Quite a few good in defensive front guys.
Speaker 1: There, James Pierce Juniors unless he well, okay, So there's a couple of ways you go here. James Pierce Junior. Is you were talking edge traditional you know you said judn replacement. Yeah, James Pierce Junior is the guy in his class out of Tennessee.
Speaker 2: Do you go there?
Speaker 1: You could also go, okay, maybe you know has a good year. Maybe Keon White does. What's happening with Christian Barmore. There's a guy named Dion Walker from Kentucky. Now, Evan, you know how I feel about Jordan Davis. I'm not going to put anybody in the Jordan Davis category because I think he is a freaking unicorn. Yeah, but Dion Walker is one of those guys that you look at you say, how the hell are you moving that way at three hundred and thirty pounds. Guy's a freak true pass rush factor as a defensive tackle. If Barbour's medical condition is or maybe you just want two of those guys, because it would be it's not a fun Dean Walker. You could also go the route of Christian Gonzales hasn't had a great camp. What if that whole thing ended up being fools gold Well, now we're talking about Will Johnson so or.
Speaker 2: Even just having a no fly zone with both of them out, or you could go that route, so like he definitely or can I throw a third another route out you real quick? I know we were talking defense, but like you could also go to the Luther Burden route. Well, so I'm gonna be really well.
Speaker 1: I hope we get to do sort of a college football draft previewers thing at some point. Luthor Burden Tech McMillan is going to be a really interesting debate between Patriots fans this year because Luthor Burden is probably a slightly better player. It's so tough because Tech McMillan is so young and I'm I don't want to say anything definitive about him yet, but assuming he continues on the path we think he's gonna go on, you get into this debate of building a football team. Tech McMillan's probably the better option because he gives you something you don't have you already. He's the puer x right, Luthor Burden, and some of that is Javon Baker. Again, there's so much we don't know. Luther Burden is gonna be very redundant with a guy like Pop Douglas, who's probably your best receiver. But do you just say, Efitt, We'll figure out a way to make it work. Like, let's get all the talent in here. So there's a ton of I think we just mentioned everybody. I mean, I guess the one guy we didn't talk about is Travis Hunter, but you can put him in the corner conversation with Will Johnson. I don't think he's gonna be a receiver at the NFL level, at least not regularly. Like it definitely frees up more ways to go. But to go back to the original question, there will be a case to be made and we have to see how all this other stuff plays out. But just in a bubble, Yeah, Kean Wallace is pretty good at left tackle, Well what if he's great at right? And you add Will Campbell and now you're talking about potentially building towards one of the better tackle tackle combos in the NFL. In a league where there are not enough tackles to go around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will always be in the school thought of reinforcing the offensive line. You know that I will raft as many offensive linemen as they need to until they have five guys that can play.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: I also would say that if this is let's say it's a good year. Yeah, necessarily wins and losses, Like, we're not getting all caught up in that yet, but let's just say it's a step forward. It's a progress here. It's that foundational year that Jarrod Mayo is talking about. That probably means that Alex Van Pelta, you feel pretty good about that system, that coach reinforcing the offensive line even further and drafting another tackle to build off of this system. You know, in Cleveland they had Jedrick Wills and Jack Conklin for years. I had both tackle spots, and I had two of the best tackles and one of the best offensive lines in football, and that was the bedrock of their offense.
Speaker 1: The other thing, I mean, if we want to play this out, maybe kan Wallace is good at left tackle and you're happy there. Again, Chuck's on a one year deal. If Kane Wallace is good. Like you said, things go well, well, maybe they're not going to have that top ten pick. Maybe they're at like eleven, twelve, somewhere in that range. Now we start talking about Emery Jones, who's the right tackle at EL. We've talked a lot about Will Campbell and Kelvin Banks because they are the two best left tackles in this class and there's a significant.
Speaker 2: Drop off after that.
Speaker 1: But there are other two other first round tackles, Emery Jones from LSU and Tyler Booker from Alabama. But those guys play on the right side. This show's pretty set in how we feel about moving tackles back and forth. Yeah, but maybe look at and say, all right, Caden Wallace is our left tackle. Let's see if we can upgrade chokes the corps for and.
Speaker 2: Had a guy like Emery Jones. Yeah, it's an exciting proposition to just the Candon Wallace thing in general. And I know I mentioned that he was with the Twoes today and maybe that that I had him on my ups and I kind of took him off because I'm not sure maybe they are seeing something that I am not right. I am not a coach, and I don't have the luxury of watching the practice film back. So maybe a couple of times I've caught him at the corner of the eye that I thought he's looked good. They actually have watched the film back and it hasn't been as good. I'm allowing for that. So we'll see what it is tomorrow when they are back in pads, and see what it looks like in a couple of weeks and all that kind of stuff as well.
Speaker 1: So again to sum it up, yes, we're both tackles.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: Still we both saying tackle, but to something we just said. There's like eight or nine players on the roster that are gonna dictate their biggest draft need, and depending on what happens, about half of the first round is in play. Here's what I can't tell you definitively, Evan, let me just get there. There's one thing I can tell you definitively about what the Patriots plan should be in the first round as we sit here right now. Carson Beck not a part of the plan. Shular Sanders not a part of the plan. Anybody else We can have the conversation. There's guys I prefer to others, but at this point, you can write those two off anybody else where.
Speaker 2: We're in business. I'm gonna like, Luther Burden, you're gonna love so give me, like give me some like a comp like I know that those are tough, but like give me because the way you described to me, yeah, Luther Burden, the way that I think. The guy that immediately comes to mind is Jayleen Waddle. He's a little smaller. Yeah, he's listed at five eleven two o eight. I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: He's going to be another one of these guys that it's gonna be. We'll see at the combine. Yeah, I mean like he's ideally if he shows out. I think he's kind of in the mold of this year. Xavier Worthy, Like.
Speaker 2: He's explosive, but he's a little bit soccer it's weird like meteor, you know, like not he's not gonna like Yeah, Davire Worthy has a pretty gangly frame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's not that small. Luther Burn's weird to me. Missouri. I'm interested to see you watch Missouri's offense, yeah, because you wouldn't have watched them a ton this year.
Speaker 2: Jay Von Foster was the one man watching the line play, which is I'm not looking right.
Speaker 1: So, like he's listed at five eleven to two o eight. I take the under on that by a ton. He plays much bigger than he is, but some of it is Missouri uses him not exclusively, but he plays a lot as a boundary as an X guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's probably not going to be that at the NFL. So you're to me, you're saying a little bit bigger xaviy're Worthy, that is probably gonna move more inside of the NFL. Like I feel like you're describing Jalen No, not I I how much did Jalen Wattle play at the X at Alabama? A decent amount, I guess.
Speaker 1: Let me put it this way, he's like somewhere between Jalen Wattle and DeVante Smith. Actually that's a good Okay, those Alabama receivers were like, I wouldn't put.
Speaker 2: Him square my favorite receiver, right, No, Like you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Like him like he's he's explosive, he's shifty, he's a good route runner, he's good with the ball in his hands, like he checks all those boxes. He's just whether it's Xavier Worthy, whether it's Zay Flowers, whether it's Jalen Wada whether it's DeVante Smith. His college usage doesn't come near those guys. His college usage is very unique, which I think there's gonna be a lot of debate on him because he's going to be a case of what you see in terms of what you see present versus how.
Speaker 2: You see the potential.
Speaker 1: And if Tech McMillan breaks out, if Tech McMillan has the breakout year, that's gonna be a definitive guy six ' five but strong receiver.
Speaker 2: True x So Tech McMillan. I know you hate I know you don't.
Speaker 1: Ceiling ceiling ceiling, Yeah, as we like to say, does Bryant, does Bryant, You're gonna hear a lot of I know you don't want to do it. You're gonna hear a lot of people talk about Mike Evans because he's good with the ball in his hands too.
Speaker 2: But I think the world of Des Bryant. Yeah, Mike Evans is Mike. Like Mike Evans a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 1: So you well, you said ceiling ceiling, ceiling, ceiling ceiling, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, but but he is not dominating like Mike Evans was.
Speaker 1: The l it's but it's tough because he it Arizona's not built like that. He made Johnny Manziel look like, don't know he did.
Speaker 2: He made Johnny Manzel like the first Mike Evans should have won the Heisman.
Speaker 1: Yes, he should know you're Upoe, but but the point is, like, people are gonna see a big, physical receiver who has if if he and again he's so young, he's I think he's a true junior. Yeah, he's so young, so it's tough to say. But like you're gonna see a guy at six five who moves like he's six to one in a good way, but can play like he's six Those are the flashes that are on tape, and we are such a long way away, especially from a guy that's now we're.
Speaker 2: In the middle of training camp and we're talking draft. Let's let's the point.
Speaker 1: If he has the season people think he's gonna have, it's gonna be up there. There's gonna be a lot of people saying he's like, the path is gonna be clearer with him to NFL success than it will be to Luther Burden. I think Luther Burton ultimately has a higher ceiling. As I taught, throw Mike Evans out there, like I that's what people are gonna say. I think Luther Burton has a higher ceiling, but you're gonna see people saying tech McMillan. Is they plug and play day one wide receiver, one easy answer, whereas with Luther Burden there's gonna be a little bit more work to get in there.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough. Has your work from home space turned into in everything space? Alex?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: It did fire back of camp, but it did find furniture that fits your life, your budget in your living space thanks to Bob's Discount Furniture Shop, tons of on trend, small space friendly styles likes, do it all dining sets, smart storage and small footprint sectionals that can take you all the way from midday meeting to happy hour and no time. So stop into your local store and multitask stylishly with Bob's Discount Furniture, the official furniture store of the New England Patriots. I was multitasking in my work from home space yesterday, uh doing some stuff, yeah, Patriots stuff, and watching Team USA basketball at the same time. It was fantastic and the Red Sox were on right afterwards. It was a great day, good day off. Let's do three up, three down for training camp. Through seven days of training camp, I should say, and I want to start with ups. We'll start with the positive or positive show. All right, my number one up for training camp? You ready for this? I did? I did it kind of. I kind of did a you and like went like a little outside the box with this. Okay, my number one up for training camp, Scott freaking Peters. Do an applause, do a standing o forum, Thank you, strike systems, oh technique, all of it, all of it. Taylor Coles, We're one week into training camp in this offensive line already looks better than it has the last two years, simply because they have an offensive line coach that seems like he knows how to do the damn thing right. And I am thrilled about that. The strike system thing, I got a little you know, like that's not here nor there. Maybe a little overrated, but I have seen more competent offensive line play and those two padded practices at the beginning of the week than I saw at combined probably in the last two training camps for the Patriots. There was actual time in the pocket for Jacobe Brissett to like survey the field and make throws down the field. When's the last time we've seen that at a in a regular basis. It's been a minute. They actually, on the day one of pads, they broke off not one, not two, but three successful outside zone runs on day one of pads in a new system where they they haven't really been blocking outside zone and all this stuff that I talked about that I was concerned that they weren't in a fit. They They've looked pretty good blocking outside zone so far. I think he knows what he's doing. I think he's doing a solid job. And just to give some credit to the players as well, I think all those guys have marginally improved since the start of camp and you can see it, like cityso looks like a much better pass protector in year two than he did in year one. And a lot of things that he talked about. I know that we're joking about the strike system, but he's actually talking a lot about independent hands and you know, not throw when you don't When you don't throw both hands at the same time, what happens when you throw like a two hand punch. It can work if you hit, but if you don't hit, you end up getting off balance and you're now lunging forward and that's when guys, you know, can you know, swat and go around you and stuff like that. So what Scott Peters preaches is a lot of independent hand usage right where it's just the left or just the right and you sit back in your chair and you kind of absorb at that point. City so has looked a lot better. Caden Wallace I think is making really positive strides, good progress. Leyden Robinson has looked decent for a rookie early on in training camp. They seem to have solidified this interior three of so andrews on Weni, which I love. I think that has a chance to be not just a good interior three, but like kind of a high level interior three. If City continues to make progress, you have a plus center, you have a plus guard, and then hopefully you have a starting caliber left guard in City. So I'm loving what I'm seeing so far from the line. Thank you. So like not watching a practice where it's an absolute train wreck up front is so refreshing. You know, for me, this is like pants off, Like this is just amazing. So really quickly to end this rant, there's a chance and I'm it's early, or it's not early, it's mid it's middle of training camp. There's a chance that those Cleveland guys just kind of know how to coach the line right. The system works for the line in terms of the schematics and the big picture concept. Scott Peters knows how to coach the technique. He's been in this offense. He knows what needs to be done to be successful. I think there's just a chance that they just are good at coaching up linemens.
Speaker 1: So we used to talk about this when people would ask, you know, what's going on with the Patriots and wide receivers, and we'd say, they're just not a wide receiver team, whether it's talent evaluation, identification development. And we contrast that with they are a corner team. They can find corners, they can go get an undrafted guy in tournament was starting caliber player right. Yeah, And there are teams that are different that just franchises that generally identify different positions differently. I would say Cleveland has for at least the last what five six years, been an offensive line team, and they would just any guy they added seemed to work out. They fantastic track record there, and you now have a piece of that here in Scott Peters and some of the other guys that are involved, and you hope that some of that rubs off. And I think maybe that's what you're seeing that. Whatever it was, that system in Cleveland, identification development, whatever, it's probably a combination of both. It worked and maybe now you're seeing that system in play here.
Speaker 2: So just really quickly to put a player on it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, give me, like your most impressive offensive line's good lights out? Yeah, fantastic. I have him at seven to one and one and one on one drills right now.
Speaker 2: You would have at six o one yesterday. Didn't do anyone on there.
Speaker 1: So I missed the key on White Repka and I trust I trust Badard. He saw it with his own eyes.
Speaker 2: He told me.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, I didn't know if I missed him doing like non padded offensive line one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, I I trust him. I I must have missed it. I'm I don't know why. I you know, sometimes you don't see it happens. It's a lot going on. Yeah. So, and they were split into two groups while this was going on, so officially I'm going with seven to one and one. He's won his first six I think he won his first and then he tie had him down for a tie. Yeah, just a stalemate. You know, I kind of give tie, you know, when okay, you got I should go to the offense though. Yeah, but like if you get walked back a little bit into the quarterback and then anchor, like, I still kind of tend to give that as a tie, and then I and then I guess Kean White did beat him and I didn't see it. So seven to one and one, and in those wins, he's just like a man amongst boys, Like guys just can't get around him. Uh, he's just been stellar. So I would say Mike Onwen who would be the best so far? But the most promising is is definitely the rookies like, yeah, Kaden Wallace and Layden Robinson looking like they belonged this early in camp. Go get him, Scottie, good job.
Speaker 1: So I figured you to have the offensive line, so I kind of tried to work mine around yours. Maybe this is an overlap. Yeah, Covers Sett Yeah, we got alread talked about it, so we spent a lot of time.
Speaker 2: But Cover set's been good. Yeah, it's been really good. It's fair enough. I'm not surprised about what we're seeing from Jacoby Brissett. Like I said, I think a lot of people looked at the record in Cleveland in twenty twenty two, and whether you're into QB wins or you're not into QB wins, they have some merit of if this guy's good or not right, And I think a lot of people looked at the QB wins for Jacoby Brissett, not just in Cleveland, but also just throughout his career as a starter. He's made forty eight starts. His record's not great, and a lot of people just he sticks right, he's awful. But if you actually look at the stats, look at the film, Like if you take his eleven starts in Cleveland and stretch him out to seventeen games, he would have thrown for like four thousand yards in like twenty five touchdowns in Cleveland in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: So okay, hey guy, so we're doing that because then I tried to do this with Kendrick Born a year ago.
Speaker 2: I got yelled at by you. That's probably fair, all right.
Speaker 1: I'm just I don't mind you doing it, but now it supports my argum. Now it sports your argument, now mine, Okay, I understand.
Speaker 2: But he's not He's not terrible. Your guy Felger likes to say that he's terrible.
Speaker 1: Hooper Sett Yes, eg like all geeked up on Jacoby ver Set right now.
Speaker 2: No he no, he is. No, I was just not with them. No, I was just not with them. Fop like that. I will not allow for this. I will for this. He's all. He's because his whole thing is he wants them to win as many games. Yeriars. Possibly he was the one that wanted them to get justin Fields or Russell Wilson. I heard him.
Speaker 1: Well, so now his thing is his thing that like, all right, if Jakob sec can win you games, great, I get all right.
Speaker 2: He didn't think kover Set could win them games. He thought, he told He said as as early as like earlier this week when I was driving home and I was listening to them, and I do listen, so I'm not trying to like pick on them. But he said earlier this week that you know, his top tier was you know, the Kirk Cousins and stuff like he he said that he wanted to be the Atlanta Falcons, he would have signed Kirk Cousins and drafted it Drake May still, Yeah, and then sat Drake May for a couple of years behind Kirk Well.
Speaker 1: So he I think what he likes now is again it was just on with them. Yeah, this all like not the pressures off Drake May. I don't want to put words his mouth. I'm trying to remember exactly what he's but basically like, Jacoby Brissette is going to give you a football season. Yes, and maybe they don't make the playoffs, but he likes the idea of Jacoby Brissett holds down the fort as long as he needs to hold down the fort because he's not as he's not as into Drake May. He just doesn't like rookie quarterbacks. It's not something he believes him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he fully believed.
Speaker 1: He's a Packers fan. Shocker if he needs to sit a year or two years, seventeen years later, right, he's all in on that model. So I think the idea that Jacoby Brissette can give you something for a year and the team can still be competitive. Maybe they don't make the playoffs, but the team can still be competitive. He's in right, He's in on that, so he's he's come around on Jacoby Pressette.
Speaker 2: Well, I actually think the way you laid it out is exactly how I feel right now about Jacoby Brissett. Do I do not think that if they have to play Jacoby Brissett that they are going to be a bore to watch on offense?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Do I think that they are going to win a bunch of games? Probably not, But they aren't going to be like they weren't last year. It's not going to be You're not going to come away from it and be like, what the hell did I just watch?
Speaker 1: Like? They're not going to reinvent ways to struggle offensively, They're not gonna do that time.
Speaker 2: It's gonna look representative.
Speaker 1: It's gonna look they're not gonna set They're not coming for the seven Patriots records, but you're gonna be able to watch it. And I think sneaky big thing about Jacoby Brissett. Actually didn't put either of these guys in my ups because I just I was trying to put it together. But representative he's given jayvon Baker, Jalen Polk and I'll even throw to Mario Douglas in here, but really the rookies because Douglas has been limited, those guys have had a chance to really develop and really make plays while Drake May goes through his growing pains and they're not. I think this has been part of the issue with the wide receiver development. Here post Brady, you're getting representative quarterback play, and it's allowing those guys to do what they need to do without being maybe handcuffed by developmental plight the quarterback position. And the two biggest winners I would say of Jacoby Brissett's kind of surprise start to camp are Baker and Polk because they were able to rep with the root ones and they're able to get quality reps.
Speaker 2: So speaking of them, yeah, all right, you had them.
Speaker 1: Good. My next two or on defense, so I had one on defense too, all right, it's probably the same guy. I don't think it is actually right. I had Jayvon Baker and Jalen Polk together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair rookie receivers. They're both rookie receivers. Again, that's how I do it have been exactly in the last couple of days and the reason why I'm like kind of trepid like dancing around is because I don't think Javon Baker has made as many plays the last couple of days. He got off to a slower.
Speaker 1: Start too, and I think some of that was the injury he had in the spring.
Speaker 2: But all this stuff that we're seeing from those two guys are exactly as advertised as what I thought they would beat in the draft. Javon Baker is going to be your splash play guy. It's not going to be consistent, but you know, whether it's Dave Davis, yeah, that was my comp there's a little bit more above the rim than Gabe Davis. I think that I didn't notice as much as absolutely. Yeah, Gabe Davis's I still feel like is just kind of run under it speed guy.
Speaker 1: But I think when you look at what you're projecting for production, yeah, Javon Baker is like a three catch, eighty yards win touchdown guy. And there'll be like four or five games where he maybe goes like a buck fifty and like four or five games where he gets blanked.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, couldn't agree more. And that's exactly how they practice, right, Javon Baker is gonna have like the play that he made earlier this week, he's gonna have a catch like that that's gonna make your jaw drop and you're gonna say, holy crap, this guy's so talented. But the guy that's really gonna be the engine of the offense is gonna be Jalen Polk, and he Jalen Polk to me has me really excited because the one thing that I wanted to see out of Jalen Polk was was he one of these craftsmen that the forty time just isn't gonna matter, Like we can just throw the forty time out because he's a he's smooth, he's fluid, he's great at the top of the row, he's got great hands, physical, and I'm getting those types of vibes from him so far. It goes against a lot of my beliefs at the wide receiver position, because you know, I'm a separate guy, like everything to me is separation. But I look at Jalen Polk as a guy that truly could catch a high volume of targets in this offense and could play on all situations because he's got the size to be able to block and throw his weight around a little bit too in the run game, So I don't think he necessarily needs to come off the field.
Speaker 1: I think it's important because I've seen people say, why are you saying Jalen Polk has had this great camp when he hasn't had any big plays and he had the one early on that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he had the one in seven's the other right, So.
Speaker 1: Well, elevens is what really counts. But and I think I texted you about this. You gotta look at them in this dynamic. Jalon Baker is your big play threat. Yep, He's not going to be a consistent player, but he is the guy you're going over the top. Jalen Polk is the exact opposite. Jalen Polk is chain mover. Yeah, Jalen Polk is here to go eight to twelve yards in the line of scrimmage, find an opening in the defense, sit down, catch the football, move the James. Yeah, and that mus it's not gonna be flashy and he might not, you know, remember because again the comp before the draft with Jakobe Myers looks.
Speaker 2: It's the same role.
Speaker 1: He is a spinning edge of Jacob Myers went what three years before his first NFL touchdown something like that. Like, I would not be surprised if Jalen Polk is similar. But he's gonna be the guy third and gotta have it. He is going to find a spot. Just pass the six, get open, catch the ball, fall down like that. In there, it's it's an important role. Now it's diminished. And part of the reason the offense ind pop with Jacoby Myers here is that role gets a lot sexier when you have somebody out there opposite who's a threat to make the big play. And Jacoby Myers never really played with that guy. He is now in Vegas with DeVante Adams. But you hope either Baker's that guy, or you add that guy next year or whatever, we'll get to one other guy that maybe gives them a stop gap there. But I'm not gonna go that far yet. But like, when you look at Polk in that context, he's had a great camp. If you're affecting him to be, you know, seven eight touchdown guy, a fifteen yards per reception guy, like, he's not gonna be that, but that's not who he is that somebody was drafted to be.
Speaker 2: So my question with Jalen Polk, my one question because I've been impressed. He runs great routes. He gets open enough. You know, he's not a big time separator, but he gets open enough right, and he's got good The hands are as advertised, really good hands and just really incredibly fluid and smooth at the top of the route. Here in a route on Marcella's dial today on the goal line, and it's just it's so silky, yeah, you know, and there's no wasted movement, and he has nice burst off the line and into the route. Really just Jacoby Myers like through and through. It looks so much. Now my question with him, yeah, is okay, So his average target depth stay with the nerds with me for a second.
Speaker 1: I'll give you a dot that is a tangible number. His average target depth is gonna be about nine or ten yards something like that. So can he turn nine and ten yard a dots into thirteen fourteen yards per catch or is he gonna be nine and ten a dots and ten yards per catch? Because that's gonna be the difference between him being seventy for seven hundred and seventy for one thousand. So what I think is gonna help him, And so this year I think he's more that ten you know, nine a dot ten yards per catch. Guy. Yeah, but ideally, and again we're putting on our ideal hats here. Yes, if Drake May pans out, yeah, teams are gonna have to pay play a ton of zone against Drake May because you can't have defenders turning their eyes away from him when he's a threat to run. Sure, when Polk sees zone, he's able to find space where he can catch the ball nine yards downfield but has room to run and set himself up with room to run. If Drake May can get to the level where teams are forced into zone against the Patriots, or at least like defenders keeping their eyes on the quarterback, yeah, it's going to unlock another level for Jalen Polk.
Speaker 2: He's he's been if that makes sense. I don't know if I explained that right. Yeah, he's been good, and I think that there's a lot of reasons to be excited. And I just for the record, I did not think that Nikhil Harry and Taekwon Thornton looked like this in their rookie camps. I think they both had flashes like maybe if you wanted to put them more in the Baker school. I think they both had flashes as rookies, you know, before their injuries. Obviously, I'll say that too, And that's where we need to be careful here.
Speaker 1: I I always said, I think because players don't just like suck, players don't forget how to play football. There's usually a reason behind why players careers get derailed. Harry and Thornton both got hurt in their first camp and they lost development time, and especially in the system the Patriots were using at the time, there was just significant catch up that they didn't have time to do. So so Polk stays healthy, but I think he's well.
Speaker 2: Harry was a big guy. I don't know what that was. Just he hurt himself and they put him back in. That was a whole other thing. Thorn Like was always a threat to get hurt.
Speaker 1: Polk's built more to maintain at the NFL level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, all right, who else he got? What was your second?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, your second was the Rokie receivers. Yes, Marx Jones.
Speaker 1: I think Marcus, just so there's two guys I think you could argue have been the best most consistent defensive players.
Speaker 2: In this camp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Marcus Jones is one of them. He has been just excellent coverage. He's constantly on the receiver. He's done it from different spots. He's done it from the slot, he's done it from the boundary. He's done playing safety a little bit. He's had some really He's had a pass break up, like a physical pass breakup against Jalen Polk who's much bigger than him. He had a physical pass break up against Jujus Smith Schuster today, who is bigger than him. We can talk about where Juju's at, but he is strong, like upper body. Juju is strong, and Jones punched the ball out big development. If he's still going to give you that inside outside versatility.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's starting Nickel right now. And I don't think it's close. You know, I think, what is he there?
Speaker 1: Starting nick Or is he a guy that they're gonna up on the boundary. No, I think it's starting to like you can wrap on the boundary if you need him to. Yeah, I think he probably could. But I Gonzo John Jones, Marcus Jones is your top three right now. And it to me, it's gonna be hard for somebody to make a push like an alxaucetin in ourn isable. Well, I'm just saying if there's injury or whatever, and yeah, he gives you that at least where where John Jones and Marcus Jones physically actually line up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, might morph week to week, game to game, drive to drive, whatever, but those three guys are pretty entrenched, I would say right now. Uh, and where they're gonna play in terms of playing time like that, those are gonna be the top three guys. The other thing, and we haven't seen a ton of it, and we haven't seen it truly live live yet. He is going to be a monster on kickoff returns.
Speaker 1: And I still wonder if they're gonna put him back there on kickoff return, why wouldn't they injury if he's playing this, Well, it's a corner they have other kick turn off.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a bummer though, because this is.
Speaker 1: Maybe he becomes a guy where it's like he's not go return every kickoff. But when you get to a big point in gate it, I mean, he's got to be the primary punt returner. And that's the other thing. He's going to be the primary punt returner. And it's just they I feel like a big difference between the old just and there's no inside information here, it's just hearing the way people talk. Yeah, I feel like the current coaching staff maybe thinks he was overworked in the past between offense.
Speaker 2: Multiple positions, Well, it's multiple positions on defense. Yeah, kick returns, punt returns, and offense.
Speaker 1: And if they just let's let's have him be great at three things rather than have him be just above average at five things. I wonder if there's kind of and we'll see what happens with guys like Jalen Rager and guys like Jahem Bell and things like that. But I do wonder if there's an element of we have other guys that can return kicks. It doesn't need to be on his plate.
Speaker 2: Let's not put it on his plate. So I think it's fair to say that what you said about it's the fourth quarter, you're a touchdown and you need a field flipping return. You know, maybe you have Marcus Jones back there for that, but maybe he's not back there every single time. But I also feel like we might get into the season and it might be touchback city anyways.
Speaker 1: That too, I think teams are gonna be petrified, So I didn't realize seeing it in person. I didn't realize how far in front of the returner the setup lines are because that part's different than the old XFL. There's so much room to set things up, like, that's what I'm saying. I think teams are gonna be scared of this.
Speaker 2: That's why I feel like Marcus Jones would just be dynamite. I also want there's so much space.
Speaker 1: I also wonder, because Girodmeo kind of let it slip the other day that the league is still tinkering with and finalizing the rules, the touchback being at the thirty is not going to be enough.
Speaker 2: It might have to go up to the thirty five, forty forty.
Speaker 1: I wonder if the league steps in because they want this to be a play. They want a kickoff, they want an exciting plays.
Speaker 2: They're calling it the Dynamic kickoff, and look it is it's a league wide initiative to hype up this thing. Okay, this is important.
Speaker 1: Well let me say this is we're on a sort of league airwaves here, Like, yeah, when it's played out, it is a very exciting play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just don't think the where disincentive is there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear what you're saying, right, Like, I think there's gonna be a lot of teams that kind of start working on this thing and think there's so much opportunity. They're gonna see how the potent, how potentially exciting is for the return team and say this isn't worth it. We'll we'll give up the extra five yards and start at the thirty. And I wonder if the team sees that in the preseason, because I think they're doing this by the seat of their pants. They won't change it during the regular season. I wonder if they see it during the preseason and say, nope, touchbacks now the forty. Yeah, figure that out. And if not this year, I think next year for sure. If teams are using this as for or just kicking touchbacks, I think next year we see the touchback line moving to the thirty five or the forty and really incentivizing teams to kick this off and have a play.
Speaker 2: Offensive line of the recouiver receivers and Marcus Jones, you have one more?
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, ke On White, Yeah, so go ahead, yeah, no, just he's been excellent on the edge, like he was hyped up in the springs. Rod Meo said he's been improved and talk about the year two jump and especially against the run. I mean, he's been a monster. He's been a problem, and he's been getting into the backfield regularly. And this is a guy they really need to take that next jump, and he's early indications are he's doing it like he he of all the young players, all the players on rookie contracts called the last you know, twenty two to twenty three, it would be twenty. There's nobody left from twenty one. There's a couple, but caught like the twenty one twenty twenty three draft classes. Right. I don't think anybody's taken as big of a jump as Keon White. I don't think anybody's close to taking as big of a jump as ke On White looks.
Speaker 2: Like he's taking. So I think he's made some plays against the run. Yeah, I I don't necessarily see the breakout camp that some of the other guys down here have seen. And I'm not saying that they're or you're wrong. Yeah, I just haven't necessarily seen it that way one hundred percent. But the biggest reason why to me that I haven't is because I still don't necessarily see like the twitched up one on one pass rusher, if he's schemed into the pass rush, like if they're running stunts and picks and stuff like that for him and he just has a straight line to the quarterback and he can just kind of, you know, be a linear athlete in that respect, or if he wants to just use straight power. I think those things are there. He's still to me a a developing player in terms of his pass rush. Now, maybe Covington and Joe Kim and you know, the new defensive line coach on plagging on, maybe maybe they get him there. That's eventually. I'm hopeful because he's definitely a wrecking ball, Like there's no doubt about that. Like he's a wrecking ball against the run, and he's a splash player, uh in that respect. But I I when you watch them and do one on ones and stuff like that too, he still just looks a little bit stiff to me.
Speaker 1: So I don't think he's ever gonna be that twitched up quick pass rush. Yeah, he's gonna be, and we saw it last year. Like he's athletic, Yeah, he's a bull rusher. I think his best way to win, he's he needs a counter. He needs a counter, but I think his best way to win his initial punch is so strong, yea, get the lineman off balance, and then when that guy's off balance, he can run around him. Like he does need a counter to that. But we talked about this last year. That initial punch from him is yeah, I mean it can knock a guy out for not knockout, but like you can essentially render and right, you can stun alignment for a play. And this is I remember him doing against the Eagles last year, where he would hit that punch, the lineman would get off balance, he'd get in the backfield. Jalen Hurts ran out and this happened like three or four times, and Keon White's running steph for a step with him as he runs out and never let him get the edge.
Speaker 2: Like he's definitely an athletic line in a very good linear right. He's powerful and he's athletic. He's just not quick, He's not he's not overly bendy and so normally like guys that can really rack up sacks and pressures like a Judean j when you know he's rolling, those guys obviously have great first steps, but they're also very bendy.
Speaker 1: So I'm trying to think here, who's like the who's a pass rusher that wins, like mainly just by being stronger and more physically dominant on the.
Speaker 2: I would say this guy in the middle. The closest thing I would say is probably like Rashaun Gary in Green Bay. Yeah, but doesn't he play on the interior. No, he's pure Oh don't I'm thinking of continue. Yeah, He's probably the closest thing that I can think of that's not you know, a super veteran player, a retired player, or anything like well, no, give me, give me a retied play, give me some Okay. So I would say that Rashaan Gary is the first one that comes to mind. Yeah, I mentioned him earlier in the show, just with the Judan stuff. Like I think Zadarius Smith is a guy that wins with it, like a pure power type of guy. Those guys always worry me because typically they can disrupt and they can knock a lineman off their rails, and they're good against the run because they're sturdy. But in terms of if we're talking about Keon White replacing Matthew Judonne, they need that player to be a finisher.
Speaker 1: So right, if he's gonna replace jud On, you need more than that. But if he's gonna be your secondary, Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not low on No, I just personally, I think for him to go from what he was last year, or really just to go from like there's a difference between being disruptive and being productive. This is ago one in the chat Justin Tuck possibly like we were a little young. For Justin Tuck, he was just me. He was just mean and physical.
Speaker 1: He just threw guys aside. There wasn't it wasn't really dressed up. There wasn't a ton of like, oh look at the footwork, Oh look at the hands.
Speaker 2: It was just wow.
Speaker 1: He just kind of tossed that guy. Yeah, and I think that's what you hope Keon White becomes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with.
Speaker 1: All that, but he I mean, that's for him to hit that like elite love like for what he is right now, he's still projecting to be a good, useful you know what's the word I'm looking for. No, but like disruptive player.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think there's a very good chance that he ends up being a guy that has a lot of hurries and a lot of like pressure, but I don't know about the sacks element of it yet. And the sack element comes comes through finishers, right, like a rip move or you know, some sort of finisher that allows you to actually get to the quarterback and make contact with the quarterback. He's getting there, they need to give him a counter. Like he could be a long arm bul rush type of guy and probably just do that all the time and be disruptive. But if he had some sort of a counter. Now, the counter that I think he'll probably get to is probably like an inside counter, like whether it's like a crossover or an arm over swim move type of inside the move. Who had that move? I think this was von Miller thing where like he faked the bull rush.
Speaker 1: He's kind of got his arms out and the line and like he anticipated it and then just he stopped right before he hit him and the line was all off balance and then he just kind.
Speaker 2: Of b who was that?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: So von Miller patten in the ghost rush, which is like you go speed to power and then instead of actually making contact. Yeah, so the lineman embraces instead of actually making contact, you just dip underneath.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, That's what I'm thinking of because Josh Josh Ucha was working on that at one point. Well, so that's called a ghost rush. Yeah, and Von Miller is usually the guy that people give credit to for popular popular rising. I thought it was von Miller. I mean, he obviously has much more in his bay, his bag. He can rush any which way. But yeah, okay, let's do down. Yeah, we're we're all up with it, all done with ups right, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Number one.
Speaker 1: You know what, actually I have an honorable mention up because I'm too afraid to put him on my list.
Speaker 2: But he's had a good camp. Oh I know, I think, I know. Yeah, Taekwon Thorne. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: I can't do it to my and I don't want to do it, but I also don't want to be unfair. The guy's been good, and let's give him credit. Yeah, he's been good, and he's been good when the pads are on. And the reason I'm hesitant to do it is because he'll come out tomorrow and land weird and hurt himself.
Speaker 2: But like I'm more hesitant to do it, Like that's definitely in play, and.
Speaker 1: I okay, right, let's put this qualifyer on it. Neither one of us are projecting anything forward. He could still very well not make the team.
Speaker 2: Objectively, he's had a good game through seven days.
Speaker 1: He's and this is with Kendrick Born and Pop Douglas essentially not practicing. Yes, Taekwon Thornton's been their best veteran wide receiver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think that's a todd take. Like I said in this, Well, there's a lot of qualifiers on that, but the biggest qualifier to me is just like, can you actually do it in an NFL regularly?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So that's it's one thing to do it out here.
Speaker 1: I'm so far Again, it was just on filgrim has it, don't go draft him in fantasy, to which Felger said, I didn't have to worry about him doing that. Yeah, but he Objectively, he's he's beaten Christian Zalezen one on ones and team, he's getting a open, he's catching the ball. Drops haven't really been an issue for him. I don't remember him having any drops. He's making contested catches like he's doing all the things we've kind of wanted him. How you're doing, Taekwon? No, but but I'm saying now you're doing tables have turned but I'm not because the difference is I'm putting all of this in the past tense. You're going to talk me into this again, I am putting all of this in the past tense. And here's the difference. Two years of game action significantly outweigh seven training camp practices, no doubt, and I still know the guy. He's been in games and that's why he's on here because he hasn't looked like that in these practices. He's got to do it in a preseason game and he's got to get to the season healthy because he's started his first two years on IR.
Speaker 2: But he's actually says he does he have to do it in the preseason, like, yes, does he have to play? Yes, Almas wouldn't play him. No, he has to play because he's playing plenty of because you need to prove this isn't fools gold. So I think the two things I need to see this I hereet, I think the two things I'll give you. Taekwon. Yeah, let's give two Taekwon Number one I said back in the spring, and you made fun of me for doing taekwan again, there's a very very distinct role for him in this offense. That is needed and that's that speed X. So they're gonna run a ton of two man route concepts and if you don't have somebody that can take the top off the defense and make the safety stay deep, then the whole thing goes to crap. Like you need somebody that can run down the field. It's that simple. It might come to the point where it's just win sprints seventy five percent of the time. But if you get one on one coverage deep and you're on that deep over that deep post route or a clear out on a vertical, like, you have to be able to win one on one yeah, and you have to be or take the safety with you. And there's nobody else on this team right now that does that like well at Taekwon.
Speaker 1: So here's the thing, as I say all this, I still don't know if I would do a roster projection day that I have Taekwon on the team. Yeah, because Javon Baker's also looked really good and he's gonna do that differently, but he could do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the second thing I'd give Taekwon is that I do feel like the seven or eight pounds of muscle that he's put on. I tangibly do see some of it. Like I feel like he's more physical. And I don't mean that he's like bodying people and stuff like that. I just mean he's like more sturdy, Like he doesn't look like so frail out there, and like people are just you know, pushing him around and bodying him everywhere. It feels like he's more, he's denser. Yeah, I just look.
Speaker 1: I need to see more because again, the two years out weigh seven practices. Yeah, but I do think you should give credit where credits due. He's been one of their better players this summer.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, let's get to the downs. Speaking of receivers. Yeah, the number one down I think for everybody. If you ask to any every beat writer that's been here every single day like you and I is Juju Smith Schuster. It's rough Man. It's rough to watch rough And if he wasn't one of these guys that made a boatload of money in his NFL career and as a made man with a ring, I would genuinely feel bad watching him. It looks painful sometimes watching him through these go through these practices. There's an argument to be made.
Speaker 1: Door.
Speaker 2: I saw my roster. Yeah, I do. There's an argument to be made that he's been there.
Speaker 1: I just said, like Tae Kwon's been their best and that comes with some qualifiers, but their best veteran receiver has Juju been their worst?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Look Jaquai Jackson, right, Kawan Baker. These guys aren't getting a ton of reps David Wallace, but there have been.
Speaker 2: JAQUAIH.
Speaker 1: Jackson had a diving catch the second day camp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dakuai Jackson's had at least a couple of catches.
Speaker 1: Kawan Baker at a touchdown today, like he gets open occasionally. Even David Wallace had one where it was a deep ball from Joe Milton that he caught up to like it's a little overthrown and he got his wheels going he got up to it.
Speaker 2: I don't Now, those guys don't rep at times.
Speaker 1: So I'm not sitting here saying like they've definitively beiten better than Juju Smith Schuster.
Speaker 2: But I feel like Juju he had he did catch the slant from.
Speaker 1: Joe Milt yesterday, so shouldn't say he's that that was That was the one time where I was like, okay, but it was different now as in an NFL route, there's not a ton of times you look at those other guys and say, wow, it's that bad. Maybe that's verse expectations, but yeah, it's drops. It's lack of separation. Like every time I noticed Juju, it's him. It's something going wrong.
Speaker 2: He doesn't have it left, he doesn't have it anymore, Like it's just gone. And that's what happens unfortunately. Like I'm not trying to pile on, but that's just unfortunately what happens with guys is that they just it just goes and it just doesn't come back right. And that's where they're at with Juju. Now, we had this conversation before the show started off the air. Now it's just about how you how do you? What's your exit strategy here? He's probably not gonna have any trade value, He's he shouldn't make the team, So what's the exit strategy? I think he got to eat the money.
Speaker 1: You gotta eat the money, and that nine dollars nine million dollars is best spent by opening up opportunities for Jalen Polk and Javon Baker and Pop Douglas.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't know do they keep him in just not play them. I just feel like when we had this conversation earlier, Yeah, off the air, I just feel like he's He's a household name and a name that I'm sure a lot of the younger receivers in that room respect a Ton because of his career and his accolades. It's hard to keep that kind of guy around and A have him be a good Samaritan about it, but b just like have it be the dynamic in the room being normal. It's not all that different to me than Cam Newton and Mac Jones Cam Newton's or Mac Jones's rookie year. Like, it's just it's gonna be an elephant in the room for the entire season that this guy that's making the most money, by the way, in the room, that has a Super Bowl ring, that made Pro Bowls, like all this kind of all these acts leads is the odd man now that's never playing. Like it just doesn't feel right to me to keep him around for those reasons. And Yeah, that that's one that you gotta go to mister Craft and you gotta tell him that we gotta cut our losses. That's why I think the books closed there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I just say, I you know, he's mentioned he said yesterday he kind of tweaked his knee running off to the side, like he said, he tripped on a rock. Yeah you can, Okay, yes, exactly, he tripped on a rock, which I still don't really. I just think like physically, I just sometimes you have those injuries and they they stay and that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry. Thing, but just the way he said that was was pretty funny yesterday. All right, so do we both have juju? Yeah? All right, who's in your next one? Uh?
Speaker 1: My next one is Atonio Maffi. Yeah, So he's trying to make move to center. Yeah, and it's just been a lot of erratic snaps, a lot of ratic snaps and false starts, which I don't know if they're entirely on him, but that's usually at least a little on the center. Yeah, newhile Nick Leverett kind of struggled the first day or two at center. He's been solid since and he's gotten a ton of opportunities with David Andrews missing practice. So I think that was a sneaky battle that maybe we didn't realize was a battle. Now, Jake Andrew's also on pup, so does he come back and does.
Speaker 2: He mix in there? But like I feel pretty good about nick LeVert is the backup center right now. Yeah, I feel pretty good about nick Levertt as like the backup in tiers. Yeah, and he'll play some guard too, But like Leydon Rominson's going to make the roster. But if you had to put a guy in on game day, somebody goes gets hurt and you have to put somebody in immediately, whether it's at guard or center, I think nick Leverett could hold his own at either spot. Yeah. No, I mean like he was a good find. He was a good signing. I MAFI right now.
Speaker 1: Just he's I think they moved him to center because I wonder if they wondered about his ability guard and he's not a center, like that's been pretty clear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he doesn't really necessarily, Like the further you go out, the more athletic you need to be. Yeah, typically, and his lack of foot speed and stuff like that at guard was getting exposed. So I can understand why they probably thought if he's gonna make the team, it's gonna be at center. He a lot of those snaps that he's been having. We talked earlier about the West Coast offense and timing and rhythm and how important those things are. When Drake may is like picking, like taking snaps off his shoelaces and stuff like that, a lot of that stuff gets ruined. I know people are gonna it was already making excuses for Drake Man. I'm just saying like that, that's the context.
Speaker 1: No, that's been part of it, and that's part of the context. Drake made struggles, Like the unit around him hasn't been great. The snaps have been have been rough at times. Okay, so you have Mafi Marte MoPo is on my downs. Can't make the club from the tub, can't make the club from the tub.
Speaker 2: I'm bummed. We we did a show last week, right this was last week that we talked about Marte Mopou in a potential role for him. I gotta got myself a little bit excited about what that could be. We mentioned earlier in the show Jonathan Jones, Marcus Jones, Christian Gonzales. That seems to be your top three corners right now. John Jones and especially Marcus Jones undersized guys, smaller guys. It would be great to be able to get into like a three nickel safety defense or a three safety dime or something like that where you could put somebody in the slot that's got some size to him, that is on the roster right now. The guy that could do that is Martemopu unless you put Jalen Hawkins in and move Peppers and Dugger around and things like that. That was his projected role, and I thought that that was a legitimate role that he could have on this team that could make an impact and he could actually be a useful player. He came in hurt Yep, he's hurt again. At some point, you have to be available to make a football team. It's getting dicey. And the one thing that I would say for him that he hasn't the feather in his cap right now is that most of the time, teams don't move on from top one hundred picks in year two like they usually give them two solid years to make a run at it to carve out a role on the team. So he might just make it as or maybe an ir guy and you know he's stashed for a year and gets healthy and all that kind of stuff. But you said it best you can't make the club from the dub. It's that simple, all right. Who else we got?
Speaker 1: This one kind of surprised me. Yeah, but I think it's time to start having this conversation. Oh Alex Austin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had that great spring and we got all excited and had a decent back end of the season last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and like I'm not riding him off as like, like I'd still probably have him on a roster projection if I made it today, But yeah, he just didn't quite. He's not like he was really dominant this spring. Yeah, And he's been fine. He's had his moments. He's also gotten beat a few times. He's kind of mixed, and he looks like a backup rotational corner. We thought maybe they found another guy. Yeah, and you haven't seen that from him this summer, So.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's a little harsh putting him on the downs. It was more just something I wanted to bring up and this seemed like a good time to do it. Like, he's not we got a little too ahead of ourselves with him this spring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's more than fair. I think both Marco Wilson and Isaiah Bolden have flashed a little bit more for me. Marcel's dial got some more time today too. Yeah, they're they're clearly kind of putting him un noticed. Maybe things again like yeah, and it just Yarrow back out there, Stefan Gilmore. Yeah, so I'm I'm I'm very much back on that. Yeah. You know, if they get to the end of the summer and it's not much better for Austin and they don't really feel great about you know, the rookies and the young guys, Bolden dial those players. Yeah, that's when that's when Elliott Wolf picks up the phone and calls an old friend.
Speaker 1: I feel like, can I give you one more player that's been good? And I kind of have a weird take about this. Yeah, I feel like as an and I don't know how much. They probably don't read our stuff a ton or at all.
Speaker 2: But like they read mine, they're used to.
Speaker 1: There used to be like around here, there's certain players that have a good camp that we just don't talk about them having a good camp because that's the expectation. They used to be like, like, we would never come in here back in the day and say you was having a really good camp. Julian Edelman who's on the ups Rob gron Count right, like, we would never do that, And I don't know, so those are the kind of guys you talk about us like core pieces. Where how many of those guys are here right now? I'm just thinking about it today. Juwan Bentley's been like really good in camp. He's been everywhere against the run, the defense. They had their first miscommunication today, but besides that, everything's been locked in and that's you know, him in the middle of it, and I'm thinking like, yeah, Juwan Bentley's kind of hit that level I think where he's a guy now that he's having a good camp really not worth bringing up. And I don't mean that as any disrespect to Juwan Bentley, and that's kind of why I wanted to bring this up. But it's like, you know, if I were to sit here and say, you know, he's having a good camp Juwan Bentley, you'd kind of be like, yeah, he's a good player.
Speaker 2: What's your point, right? So I said exactly.
Speaker 1: So it's it's I don't know how many of those guys do as you try to build back up, because there used to be a lot of those guys here, right We would never sit here and say Stefan Gilmore is having a great training camp. We might bring up good individual plays he made, but we would never be like, yeah, Gilmour trending to get like, no, he's good. Yeah, I mean, how many of those guys do they have here right now? Bentley definitely feels like one of them. Thought Christian Zalez would be. He hasn't been being very harsh on Christian Zalez felgrin mascot in my head they ask me about him. Oh, Remandre has had a really good camp. But again, I'm not gonna sit here and say Ramondre and Hunter Henry, like I would throw those guys in there. Maybe you can think of a few more. But some of them like Judon would be that guy.
Speaker 2: But he yeah, I would say probably like the Safeties like Duggar and Pepper's that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're kind of anointed. Yeah, at this point in my mind, all right, last down for me.
Speaker 2: I'm just sticking to the theme because frankly, I don't think that this has been a outside of juju. I guess like we didn't really have great expectations for anyway. Like, I don't feel like anybody that I had all these high expectations for has been a true down. Like I understand some people probably are like put Drake may on the downs, but like he's a rookie quarterback and like his first couple practices, right, I'm just not ready to go there yet, So I'll stick to the theme of the like Jaqeem Bell just not being healthy as a seventh round pick, Like that's tough, Like you get you know, it's another one of those guys that if you're gonna have any chance to make the team, you're gonna have to play, and you're gonna have to play well, and you're gonna have to flash and all that kind of stuff. And you can't be hurt as a seventh round pick and make an NFL roster. That's not easy to do. And on the flip side, you know, Mitchell Wilcox has been involved a little bit. I think Michael Petway makes plays like I don't know, it's a tight end three, right, We're not talking about him jumping Hunter Henry on the depth chart or anything like that, but could they get Willcox Petway Like those guys maybe they only carry two tight ends and they just lean on the practice squad for some of these guys too, is probably what Bill would do. Honestly, you keep Henry Hooper right and then just dash whoever you can stash as game day, you know, the Matt Sokle of the world. I just you can't make the club the tub is though, is really the short way of saying all this with both him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't necessarily want to put like the injured guy.
Speaker 2: I'm with you on that.
Speaker 1: I didn't really want to put the injured guys on there just because they're you know, they're dealing. You can't make the club from the tub. But also, I mean it's football. Guys get hurt, you deal with stuff. But yeah, Mafi Belle, Jay Canrews I'd put on there. Like again, we're talking about Nick Leverett's kind of emerging and does he take that job.
Speaker 2: I'm trying. There's one other guy, who am I thinking of? Who's on pup or hurt or whatever? Oh well, Taki talkies, I'm been on pup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that that should have been Mapu's chance to shine. Yeah, you know who's made the most of that, Brandon Schooler.
Speaker 2: What do you mean? No, Brendon's School has played a.
Speaker 1: Ton of defense in this camp, and he hasn't been bad.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying he's gonna and.
Speaker 1: He shouldn't make the rosters like I'm not he he goldn't play some defense this year, not a lot.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's good.
Speaker 1: Gerd Mayo said it. They're getting him ready to play defense.
Speaker 2: They have to get him ready because I think Mayo looks at it and says, you know, well, first of all, they might go light at safety, right because they just paid both those guys. Well, we'll let me play a time.
Speaker 1: We'll see what happens with Hawkins. But on that back end, like he's a free safety.
Speaker 2: Okay, who is your last down?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Smith, Schuster, Mafia Austin, Oh right, you had to so you both got three?
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you know who is your third belt? Right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Do you want to talk really quickly? We have we have one call. We have fifteen minutes left. So just you mentioned Christian Zalez, yeah, and Pilgrimazer in your head and now you're you're telling everybody he's actually a bust. So my two thoughts on Christian Zales. Yeah, I didn't realize as being that harsh. You're being harsh. One, I agree that he hasn't been like Straps on lock Down Stefan Gilmour in his prime. Yeah, he was probably had a better rookie camp than he had has had this camp so far. My my one, the one reason why I tell people not to panic is I do when I watch him, I feel like everything gets downloaded it into that in the computer in his head where like he's learning guys, he's like learning routes, he's learning what he can and can't do, like he's it's always feels like he's he's like in this this zone right where he's like thinking these things through, and a lot of times with corners, you know, in practice, it's it's a lot of trial and error of like, you know, can I do this? Like can I do that? You know that sort of thing. And I almost feel like he's so confident at this point that he belongs in the league, that he doesn't have anything to prove. Whereas his rookie season he he felt like he needed to solidify himself as an NFL player. Now he's an NFL player. And my guess is is that when he the light needs to turn on, you know, and he needs to hit that switch. I think I'll hit it.
Speaker 1: I also wonder if there's some of just he hasn't played competitive football in what ten months alone?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I asked him about that, like it maybe a little some sea legs. Yeah, you know, like trying to get the speed of the game back and all that kind of stuff. I'm not worried about Christian Gonzales at all. I just feel like he's one of those guys. And he's also like a mild tempered guy. That game day is going to be a little bit different than for him than the processes. All right, you want to take this call first? Or kickers? Yeah, let's do Oh we're doing kickers.
Speaker 1: We have to.
Speaker 2: They've done special teams, have they?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: I fall asleep at that time. All right, Tommy's in Omaha. What's up Tommy?
Speaker 4: Hey, guys, how are we all today?
Speaker 2: Hey? Good? How are you.
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 4: I had a question for you. This is the first camp in memory that I've paid attt IT to where it seems like the offensive line sounds competent and the receivers sound competent. I guess my overlying question is, and y'all are seeing this in person compared to me all the way over here in Omaha. What is the biggest difference when it comes to the receivers an offensive line this year? Is it the maybe the attention to detail by the coaching staff and having more specialized coaches actually working with them hands on, or is it the change the offensive system as far as the responsibilities have gotten simpler and not as much as asked as the receivers and the offensive line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a fair question, Tom, and thanks for the call. I the way I see it, just from an execution standpoint, it seems to me right now like the five guys are playing on a string like it doesn't feel like in other camps when we've watched their line the last couple of years, it feels like just a jumbled mess of blockers inside and the guys are not necessarily tied together. Right An offensive line is one of those positions where it's probably the only position really where it's a unit. It's not an individual, it's a five man unit that needs to be seeing it through the same set of eyes as Dante Scarnekia would say. And right now, I've liked what I've seen so far in the early going that they've been doing that now is that scheme is that coaching. It's kind of hard to say which one that is without being in the meetings and stuff like that. But whatever they're doing, it seems like they are more tied together than they have been the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Nebraska, by the way, you see their new quarterback. No, so they got this quarterback, Dylan Rayoli's the number one quarterback in the nation. He decommitted from Georgia to go to Nebraska. Yeah, there's a picture of him. I'm gonna just pull his picture up and show you on the air.
Speaker 2: So his whole thing.
Speaker 1: Is he's trying to be Patrick Mahomes. That's like I think I texted you this last night. I'm trying to be Kobe Bryant. No, but like he has the same daily routine, he has the same diet, he has the same quarterbacks coach.
Speaker 2: Does he sound like Kermit the Frog?
Speaker 1: He's probably trying to. He showed I texted you this picture last night. He showed up yesterday Evan at their facility. Same haircut, same facial hair, same sunglasses. That's not Patrick, that's not Patrick Mahomes. That's Dylan Rayle. And when you watched missus Mahomes. So I don't know if people can see this on camera when you watch him on the field, it's like the same interism. It's gonna be really because for you. I just brought it up because because he's from MoMA. I just brought up because I heard Nebraska and we have ten minutes to go. But it's also I don't know, we had some real stuff to talk about it.
Speaker 2: I know we did well.
Speaker 1: You got anoid with the kickers. It's gonna be interesting because we heard quarterback after quarterback trying to be brady. This is like, it made me feel old. Mahomes is a guy they're emulating. You're gonna really like Dylan Ray. Okay, so we have one email I want to get to. We have ten minutes, so I have a couple of minutes for the email and a couple of minutes for your kickers.
Speaker 2: All right, which one do you want to do first? Let's do the kickers. Let's let's get that out of the way. Go ahead, So tell me what you see.
Speaker 1: Chad Roylands twelve to thirteen. Joey slides eleven to thirteen.
Speaker 2: Chad Ryland, buy it in.
Speaker 1: He's doing something different with the ball because at least today in the last couple of days, the way it comes off his foot, it looks like it's gonna miss.
Speaker 2: And he's put like a curve on it, like a late curve on it. I don't know what that is.
Speaker 1: It's different, we'll see. I don't think either of them have separated though through through a week. I still think that thing's wide open.
Speaker 2: So we don't know, is what you're saying. We don't know. But they're actually kicking now. It's gonna be interesting. Slide puts some he puts some move on the ball. I'll say that it's gonna be interesting to see how they split those up in the preseason because remember like Ryland like didn't kick well, they only had like one field three.
Speaker 1: I guess hopefully they moved the ball a little bit better. You can kick some more females, all right.
Speaker 2: So we got an email here from Ben in the UK that asked, do you think that the a vp Ox Van Pelt scheme actually fitz Drake May's skill set and would he be better off of the more modern West Coast scheme. I think it's a really interesting question because I hand up fully thought that he was gonna be a great fit in the scheme. I was more thinking though about the early down shots right off of play action and stuff like that, and the moving pockets and the deep throws.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The Browns I looked this up. We looked this up. I think last week that they were eighth in the league in a dot right among their quarterbacks. Like they were. They are a chuck it down the field type of team. And what better way to get the boast out of Drake May than to let him sling it down the field, which is what he does best. Now. Their passing game, like their traditional drop back pass game, no play action, is at its roots old school West Coast. It's really like Mike McCarthy Green Bay, West Coast, and those teams haven't. Necessarily there's two different West Coast branches. There's the Andy Reid branch right, which is over here, and that is what it's not my phrase. I'll give Lombardi credit. Michael Lombardi basically coined that as West Coast college right. So what that is it's essentially West Coast spread right. So they have spread elements, air raid elements within the framework of a West Coast offense. Then the other the other one. The other like the fork in the road right. The other is the Shanahan tree right. And they they have dressed up West the traditional West Coast with motion condensed forms. It's all about spacing right and creating space on the field. The Alex van Pelt offense and the Mike McCarthy offense in Dallas is lagging behind maybe a little bit. And this is one of the criticisms of the higher To begin with, they are still running the Bill Walsh West Coast offense for the most part, the old forty nine ers in the eighties West Coast offense. So he's not going to do the crazy motions that informations that Mike McDaniel and Shanahan and McVeigh do in La Floor. He's not going to do the air raid elements to spread RPO all that kind of stuff. My concern with Drake May is that to run the old school West Coast rhythm is so important. And remember we talked in the spring about left foot forward and all that kind of stuff. All of that is there to design to create rhythm within the offense so that your steps sequence together and then line up with the routes in order to teach a quarterback that struggles with footwork to execute that kind of offense is giving me a little bit of concern with the fit. But my guess is is that if Alex van Pelt has the chops, is that the pivot is probably closer to the Red Tree because the Red Tree passing game is basically the same, but they spread the field more. It's Mahomes more in the gun. There's RPO, and then there's also playground. There's also second reaction, and all of the second reaction stuff that the Chiefs do with Patrick Mahomes is all scripted, Like that's not just like everybody just run around right, Like everybody has rules within the framework of the offense of like when Patrick Mahomes breaks the pocket, this is how we're going to get open for him down the field. There's nobody better at it than Kelsey. I think Kelsey's probably the best playground player receiver I've ever seen. Awesome at it. So what's the way that they go if they ask him to execute in a traditional West Coast and there's no read element to it and there's no Shanahan element to it, I think that there's gonna we're going to continue to see some of the things the issues that have popped up. So long winded answer to the question, is he a good fit in the system? Yes, if they cater it to him. If they are going to try to jam him into the McCarthy system, Uh, there could be some issues with that. And we're just that's case a quarterback. It's too early, Like it's too early to say that that's what they're going to do. But like a lot of the McCarthy stuff is really really based on timing and rhythm and getting the football out and that that is different, you know, than what they're asking him to do now. You know, I think Dak has gotten really good at it down there in Dallas over the last you know, year plus, So we'll see. But that's what I'm seeing with May right now, is that those elements of their drop back pass game are really asking him to play on time and when you're it's hard to do if you're that the type of quarterback.
Speaker 1: That he is. So I guess I'll just add to that. I think physically he's a fit. And this is something we talked about during the draft. The kind of throws you need to make, it's a lot over the middle between the numbers right to the deeper parts of the field. In that sense, he's a great fit because that's a lot of what he did at North Carolina. It's to your whole point everything you just said, it's the mental side of it where there needs to be maybe more of a marriage between what they want to do and what his skill set is.
Speaker 2: It's such a it's a perfect way of putting it, because like the areas of the field that they want to attack, or all areas that he that he loves to attack. But the problem is is that the way they get is the presentation of the play. It's the it's the drop, it's the timing of the route, it's all that kind of stuff that right now is where he's having the most problem.
Speaker 1: Which again is not that unusual for any young quarterback.
Speaker 2: That was the whole thing with mac Jones.
Speaker 1: And I've seen people say, well, mac Jones was so good right away, and what does it mean that Drake May isn't when Mack wasn't good, Because that was the one thing mac Jones had figured it out before he got sped up beyond believe he knew what he was looking at coming in like few rookie quarterbacks do. The problem is he didn't have the physical traits to properly make make use of it.
Speaker 2: Benjamin buttoning this, it's gonna be in Revene. It's the exact opposite.
Speaker 1: But the difference is I would rather teach a guy with all the physical tools how to read a field than just hope a guy who can read the field magically develops these physical tools he's never had, because that's not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just hope that I've thought about this a little bit, as you can tell I. I you know, I love Shanahan. I love Shannan, but too much Shanahan, McVeigh, Lafloor, McDaniel. Those guys are brilliant offensive minds. And not that Andy Reid isn't right. But if I had to design an offense from the West Coast tree and add elements, I think it's probably easier to add the read elements than it is to the Shanahan elements, because the Shannan elements is all it's it's like it's complex, yeah, really complex. Yeah, So I think the read elements is more in there. You know, that's spread the field.
Speaker 1: Gun RPO probably in this specific case, it's probably closer to what he did at UNC.
Speaker 2: That's that's kind of what I'm getting at. Yeah, Phil Longo, Chip Lindsay were his two O c's at U n C. They're air raid guys. Chip Lindsay got mad at me when I called him an air raid guy, but no offense, Chip, you are an air raid guy.
Speaker 1: Well, Phil, Phil Longo's like one of the og did he He didn't coach for for Leech. He coached for one of one. I think the other guy. There's three, there's Hal Money and there's Mouse Davis. Yeah, we're the ones who taught Leech.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So in order to get to like the this is we're right now we're talking about base offenses. Yeah, in this time of training camp. Once like your two year three of Drake May, like once we start to get to like the advanced stage of his development, then I think we started talking about going branching into the red tree of things and adding UNC style spread air raid elements to the traditional West Coast and creating a West Coast college scheme here in New England, which is what would fit drink May perfectly. So they're getting there. It's early don't panic long ago did coach under Mike Leish, I had that wrong. He's at Wisconsin now, Yeah, so good, nice guy. I talked to him.
Speaker 1: Him and Wisconsin him in the Big Ten is gonna be interesting. Remember we did two years of Alabama by the offense? Yes, are we going to be unc a fly North Carolina by the offense?
Speaker 2: Well? In North Carolina's offense kind of like schematically kind of stunk. But like er rating it or like reading it, I think is probably would be more optimistic.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I don't think you want to be North Carolina, but I think you definitely need to. You need to put some more college style elements, Like if you're gonna ask him to be pro style and you're gonna ask him to be this timing and rhythm quarterback, I do think early on, especially in his career, there's gonna be some issues with that because his timing and his anticipation just isn't there yet. Okay, here we go. I knew there was a connection. Can I remember what it was?
Speaker 1: Wongo never coached for Mike Leach, but like they were like friends and he got it from Leach, but he never worked for him.
Speaker 2: He learned it from Leach but like off the job. Yeah, all right, we gotta wrap. We'll be back next week. We're gonna do Wednesday. Next week is the preseason game. Believe it or not, we're already at The preseason game is next Thursday, so that's gonna be you know, Patriots preview show, postgame show, that whole game day gamut. So we're gonna do the show at one o'clock next Wednesday to recap the days and we'll talk a little bit about the preseason game as well. I'm sure. Just a quick few sign offs here. Bridge, the official tire of the New England Patriots, is proud to partner with Sullivan Tire, New England's headquarters for quality Bridgestone tires. Visit Sullivantire dot com to find a location near you and easy to drink, easy to enjoy. I'm gonna go have one right now. Bud Light, the official per sponsor of the New England Patriots. We'll see you next week. Thank you for downloading this podcast. Subscribe on Apple, Google Play, and everywhere else you listen. Like the show, Please rate and review us. Listener comments and ratings help keep us high in the podcast rankings. So new listeners can find us.
Speaker 1: Be sure to check patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.