Speaker 1: This is the Patriots Catch twenty two podcasts with Evan Lazar and Alex bar Blazar from Lazarre. Hello, everybody nailed it, joined us always by our bark.
Speaker 2: Here is Evan Lazar and Alex bars. But if they want a rookie kicker to meet, Ben sALS, here's the guy.
Speaker 1: Ben Salt. There's your kicker. I am definitely in a much different spot in my research than you, clearly, so I'm still in the top one hundred and hang on real quick because I have his number six of seven from fifty plus last year, twenty one of twenty four total. Okay, there's your kicker minute, Ben sALS. I feel like we allow for the kicker minute, like the last ten minutes of the show. When somebody asks about kickers, I'm like, all right, this is your time to show give him.
Speaker 2: I give my ticket this point.
Speaker 1: Better call Salts, better better calls sauls Uh. The Patriots do need a kicker. You keep reminding me of that every time I do any off season preview write ups or anything.
Speaker 2: Agent. They do have Parker Romo, but Joways lies a free agent.
Speaker 1: We don't trust Parker Romo.
Speaker 2: Well, he just doesn't have a lot of experience, at least somebody to bring in for like they had last year. Somebody bring in for competition.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, sure, well, kickers, I believe specialists are Wednesday night next week at the combine. Yeah, that first group on the on field workouts, and then Thursdays when the position players start, the non specialist start.
Speaker 2: So no, the defensive line and linebackers are with the kickers on Wednesday. I think, No, we're on Thursday.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so. I think you're specialist are on Wednesday night. Yeah, all right, I think something different this week this year. Anyways, semantics, the Combines next week my favorite week of the NFL calendar. And you are going, sir, is your first combine? Right, Yes, you'll you'll see what I'm talking about. The biggest reason why I love the Combine. It's just enough football that you get to do the football thing. Yeah, but you also just get to have a blast in Indie for the week, which is an underrated city, especially for an event like this. So overall my favorite week of the year. You have just enough football you can scratch that itch, but you also have you know, the eating's good. You go to Saint Elmo's, you go to Prime forty seven. The after hours is good too at you know the bars, so that it's my favorite week of the year. I'm glad you're coming because you finally get to experience why I hype it up so much every single time, so hopefully it lives up to it. But today we're gonna talk a little bit of combine stuff, little preview episode here, some of the big storylines from a Patriots perspective, obviously going into the combine next week. We also have some free agency news, you know, tag news things like that that we can discuss here at the top of the show. And then we'll take your calls in your emails. So I'll give out the phone number here in a little bit because I think we'll probably roll here for a few minutes on the combine, but call us at eight five to five Pass five hundred email address TBX hotline, and then the emails podcast at Patriots dot com and hey Patriots fans, you want to see Toyota's best offers, including those not seen on TV. Go to buy Toyota dot Com is Toyota's official website for deals from the official vehicle The New England Patriots, Toyota, Let's go places and easy to drink, easy to enjoy. Bud Light, the official beer sponsor of the New England Patriots. All right, Alex, where do you want to start combine franchise tags?
Speaker 2: I guess let's starts franchise tag stup because we can do that pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: Okay, so franchise tags latest. The franchise tag window is now officially open. I believe it's like March fourth or March second, where it closes, like right before the start of the league year. The big news is that it does sound like t Higgins is expected to get the franchise tag from the Cincinnati Bengals, and it seems like this is a placeholder for them to be signing him to a long term contract. Is where this seems to be headed. And I think ultimately, even if it's him playing the other another year or a holdout or something like that on the tag, or him signing a long term extension in Cincinnati, it doesn't sound like he's getting out of Cincinnati this year, and he's certainly not going to be an unrestricted free agent, so it takes him off the board for the Patriots. Which is a bummer. Obviously, there's a lot of different domino effects here, where not only are they not going to be able to make a run at T. Higgins, but also now the other receivers on the board, Cooper Cup in the trade, Chris Godwin, Stefan Diggs, Amari Cooper, like now those guys become the top of the board in the free agent market. So where do you stand with this T Higgins thing? I guess I'm a little bit bumped out by it. But at the same time, I also thought, even though they could throw a bunch of money at him, the odds of them actually landing to Higgins on the open market I still thought were lower percentage wise, you know, a ten to fifteen percent. So I'm not overly moved by it, I guess because of that.
Speaker 2: I just never expected him to become available, like however it happened. I never was really expecting them to have a chance to do that. Now, you know, it's all well and good to sit here in mid February and say we want to sign it. If you're the Bengals and say we want to Scigniicans to an extension. Once you actually start putting numbers on paper, maybe it gets a little more difficult. And if you're the Patriots, I think you still check in you see how those negotiations are going right, and maybe he can still be had via trade, but it's via trade. It's different. Now you're getting up assets, it's not just money. But to me, like that those names you mentioned, I think Chris Godwin we talked about that. I think we talked about this last week, Like Chris Godwin can give you some of that coverage dictating type stuff. If he's healthy, he obviously kind of has an extensive injury history at that point. After him, these are guys with significant injuries or are up there in years or both. And I just don't know that that receiver, that kind of apex receiver that they've been chasing for the last few years, is going to be available to them on the veteran market this offseason. I also don't know if that guy's in the draft. Maybe you believe that's Tech McMillan, And if you do, then I think there is now a stronger case for him to be the pick at four. But if it's not Tech McMillan, Travis Hunter, we both think is not going to be there at force. Even if you think he's that guy as a receiver, it might be irrelevant. Yeah, unless they go to the trade market, getting that guy may not be an option. So now you go in one of two ways. Do you really aggressively hammer the trade market and let teams know you might be willing to get a little dumb in order to land. You bring us back to DK Metcalf. Here we go again with him in terms of the money and what you're willing to give up or look, and I know this probably isn't what people want to hear, but it's an option to build. They have the assets to be better next year, but in order to be like really contending, like finish you know, ten eleven, twelve wins, battling for the division, winning playoff games. This roster's two years away. It's gonna take two offseasons, not just this one. You can kind of look at it and say, it's a two year process. We don't want to overextend for wide receiver that's not gonna be worth it. We're giving up whether it's Chris Godwin, Teed McMillan, whoever. If you don't truly believe that guy's the answer, and you say, we have needed to tackle, we have needs on the edge, we needs in the secondary, might need a tight end, might need a running back guard, on and on and on. We're just gonna hammer those And that doesn't mean you do nothing at wide receiver. Maybe you ad a guy like a Christian Kirk who could end up being a cap casual to you is a nice complimentary piece, but is a complimentary piece. Maybe you get one of these guys on Day two of the draft who is a complimentary piece, but you get that if you focus horror on the other options, you spend your premium assets there. And look, I know nobody wants to kick the can down the road to wide receiver for another year, but ideally, if you're not putting premium assets into that position. You got in your left tackle, you got in a pass rusher maybe two. You added some depth in the secondary, maybe you found a playmaker at tight end, like you have all these other ways you can go, and now next year it's wide receiver, wide receiver, wide receiver, because you took care of just about everything else you needed to take care of. Again, I know that might not be a popular take, and I'm not saying that's the way they're gonna go. But if T Higgins is off the board, you look at who's left, and if they can't swing a big trade, I think that has to be an option on the table.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I guess I'm a little bit old school when it comes to a roster building, especially with the wide receiver position. I always view wide receiver as the finishing piece. I think that that's the last piece that you drop into the puzzle. And once you have the foundation of offensive line, quarterback play, now you can go ahead and take the wide receiver. You know, make that Aj Brown trade, make that Stefan Diggs trade.
Speaker 2: Or just if you're picking in the top ten r you know, next year and we're your way. So who knows. Yeah, next year projects to be a better year for receivers in the draft. You never know who's gonna be available on the veteran market, Like next year there should be. It's too early to do that, you know, where would Tech McMillan rank the next year's class because we don't know who's gonna come out and blah blah blah blah blah. But like I'm gonna guess Tech McMillan would not be just looking at the list early. I don't think Tech McMillan's wide receiver won in next year's class. He might not even be wide receiver too.
Speaker 1: So here's the thing, though, when it comes to receivers, and this has been an old We've hammered this on this show and our past shows and all, yeah, plenty, the bottom line with the receiver position in this league, T Higgins caliber and above receivers do not hit unrestricted free agents.
Speaker 2: I think Calvin Ridley's probably as good as you're gonna get.
Speaker 1: So now that go, and Calvin Ridley's older, and you know that that was a big part of it with him. So, like you look at a lot of these different avenues to add receivers, really you can cross unrestricted free agency off. If you're looking for that true number one guy. That's not happening. It's never going to happen. Even if T. Higgins moves into trade. Now on the franchise tag, teams are going to maintain team control on an asset of that magnitude. They are not going to allow T. Higgins to walk in free agency for nothing. And I know there's compics and all that, but theoretically nothing, it's just not gonna happen. So you either have to trade for it or you have to draft it. And if you're trading for it, you're really giving up draft capital in the trade to get the players, So you're kind of drafting it, right, Like in a way.
Speaker 2: Now, maybe you're giving up less than it would take to get that caliber of player. Like I've said in this world, push back on that. Right, if you can trade, go back to the brand Nayuk trade last year, apply it to DK Metcalf because I think they're comparable. So that would be thirty eight one or four. I don't know if the Seahawks want Kendrick Bourne because I was in anik Staire. So we'll throw in a future fourth, right, Yeah, thirty eight and one O four. Thirty eight's the premium masset there. Are you drafting a receiver better than DK Metcalf at thirty eight? No, you should think about that.
Speaker 1: No, but it's not But it's not apples to apples.
Speaker 2: It's not apples tabbles. You have to pay him, and he's older and all that. I get it, but like I want to like not anti using draft capital that way. I just think it has to be sure worth it.
Speaker 1: So my point being is that really the best way to attack this receiver thing is to draft and develop your own receivers like that, that's what the best teams do, right, And to your point, that might not be a move that the Patriots can really make this offseason, Like, I don't think that the best use of the fourth overall pick. And this is something that's going that's starting to bug me about this whole discourse with the draft. I think it's important to say with all these conversations, and I'm not the only one that said this, So if you don't want to take my word for it, you know I've heard Daniel Jeremiah, Dan Brugler, mel Kiper, like all the big big j draft people say this as well. This is not one of those classes where there's a huge drop off from pick like four to pick twelve ish right twelve early teens around there. Okay, So every single player from that from let's call it Mason Graham and Will Campbell yeh, to like Mikel Williams and those guys that are probably gonna go early teens, I would say, are sort of in one big cluster together. So when we get to the combine and we get to this part of the of the calendar, this is where all those tie breakers are gonna be determined. Right where they're gonna be measurables issues, medical issues, character red flags. Right like, all those types of things start to come out now, which is what helps you settle a lot of these debates. You know, is will Campbell have the length to be a tackle? Is Ted McMillan gonna go. I don't know if he's gonna run, But if he runs and he puts down a four to four when you thought he was like a mid four to fives guy, well now you have to go back and watch the tape and reevaluate his play speed. So like, all of these things are what's going to separate a lot of these guys right now. So the point I'm getting at is that as of right now, I don't think the best use of the fourth overall pick is Ted McMillan this year, because I think you need too much in the trenches to go that direction. I think that's Bill Wallash. This is his old philosophy. The wide receiver is the last piece that you add to the roster, and I subscribe to that. So maybe wide receiver is better off next year. Maybe this year it's Darius Slayton, just to get like a veteran in the room that's got some production in the league. And it's another Day two draft pick, and you take another dart throw at somebody on Day two. I just published my tiers for the wide receiver position yesterday or the day before, and I really do like that Day two tier. Like, I think there's a decent amount of talent there, like the Iowa State kids, Jalen Royals, alec A Omanner from Stanford, Like, I think there's a decent amount of talent in that group that there could be a Lad McConkey, there could be a Terry McLaurin. There could be a Deebo Samuel, like, there could be that guy in this class out of that group. Now you have to evaluate, You have to properly scout it. You have to pick the right guy.
Speaker 2: They have to develop the player on top of that.
Speaker 1: All that's all fair. But if I'm the Patriots in this particular draft, in this particular offseason, I'm not closing doors on making some home run trade for DK Metcalf or whatever. The case may be, but I would look at it that way. For this year, I would stress the trenches like we all want them to do for the most part, and I would add receivers. I'm not saying don't add receivers, and I'd add receivers with upside. But I would expect to maybe have that finishing piece that Stefan Diggs, that Aj Brown that are chasing the draft level prospect next year or maybe down the road in general. So t Higgins off the board. It sounds like Chris Godwin that his deadline for his deal to void got pushed right before the start of the league year, So that usually is an indication that the team is ongoing contract negotiations with the player. So he could be nearing an extension with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to remain in Tampa Bay. So there's a chance that you could be taking him off the free agency board as well. So take another layer.
Speaker 2: And now it's really tough to look at one of those guys that's going to come in and be the guy you wanted to be. Like, you know how I feel about Stefan Diggs. I think for years he's been one of the more underrated receivers in the league. But he's now on the wrong side of thirty and he's coming off torn Aco, so that's you know, you're asking for a lot there.
Speaker 1: He is Dallas bound.
Speaker 2: We talked about that'd be interesting. We talked about Cooper Cup. We talked about Deebo Samuel last week. I think Cooper Cup he hasn't really been that engine of an offense for you know, three years now.
Speaker 1: Ye, I mean really took over that role almost as a rookie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's also been banged up, and you know, he doesn't quite look like the same player Deebo Samuel, the same thing. He's dealt with injuries, he doesn't quite look like the same guy. And then you're getting into like, you know, DeAndre Hopkins, where's he at at this point? He's in his thirties. I think like Deontay Johnson's a free agent. Who would he played for four teams last year. Mike Williams like, these are the kind of players start to talk about, and it's that those aren't answers. Yeah, those you know it best. You're trying to get the last drop out of a guy before he hangs it up. And we've seen them do that time and time again. I don't want it. It's not quite Eric Decker. I don't want to go that far, but it's like Eric.
Speaker 1: Decker, Like no, Joey Galloway pulled.
Speaker 2: Joey Galloway for like a week. I don't think it could be quite that bad. Johnson, Dumarius Thomas, Chad Johnson might be up there to where it's like they probably should have kept a Marus Thomas in twenty nineteen. But it, yeah, like those guys feel more like that kind of signing than somebody's gonna come in here and really change the offense. Yeah, Diggs could if he's healthy, but thirty off of torn acl is risky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think they're in a position to land a guy like Diggs. I think he's gonna be contender chasing, ring chasing. I also think he's gonna want to play with his brother in Dallas, and that might be a really good fit for him. There. So the last one I guess as of right now, a couple more. Actually there's two more. I wanted to get to Tray Smith in Kansas City. Now the report today is that probably no tag. Yesterday it was maybe transition tag, which is the same tag that the Patriots used on Kyle Duggar last year. So it's right a first refusal for the player in a contract negotiation, so he is going to hit unrestricted free agency. It sounds like now maybe there could be a rebuttal type you know, transition tag there for Kansas City, but you probably could bid for a guy like Trace Smith. That's probably going to be an option for the Patriots. My take on Tray Smith. I don't hate the idea of going after guy like Tray Smith. I don't love the idea of paying forty million dollars combined to your two guards, right because on when who just got paid? And then you're gonna have a lot of money invested in Trey Smith as well. Probably not the best way to use your resources. But this I feel really strongly about. I am not convinced that Patriots have a starting left guard on their roster. I think other people disagree with me on this, and that's okay, But I have not seen enough from Laden Robinson in his rookie season to pencil him in as a starter. We all know the Cold Strange thing has been an up and down roller coaster. I don't know if he's gonna play center. I don't know if he's gonna play guard. I don't know if he's gonna be available right, Like, all these things are are problems. And maybe now that they get back to the downhill vertical run scheme a little bit, Citysow becomes a factor and is back in the picture here again under Josh McDaniels. But all three of those guys, to me, are still more or less unknown commodities. Like I don't feel good about going into next season counting on any of those three. So I don't think the Patriots are said at left guard. I think it's far from it to me.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm with you on that. I just I know they have a lot of cap space. I get that. Yeah, but it is a finite amount, yep. And if it's Tray Smith as like your second or third best for agents signing, I can totally get behind that. I agree with you they need a starting left guard. I don't know that they need like a top five left guard in football or I don't know where you'd put Tray Smith in that ranking, But like i'd I don't know. I'm kind of thinking it's during real time like, if you're gonna have a rookie left tackle, I guess maybe I could see that investment. But like, I'll take and they can have both. They can have both. I'd rather have like a Josh Sweat than Trey Smith. I might even rather have Javon Holland than Trace Smith. I'm not anti Tray Smith, and there's a way to make it work. But if the big splash coming out of this offseason is Trey Smith, I don't think that's enough. If they do like a twenty twenty one type thing and they go get a Matthew Judan and he ends up being Hunter Henry, awesome, like that would be incredible if he's the big name. I don't think he did enough because there's other players out there, more premium positions that you need that if you're passing on those guys sign of guard, like you can find another starting caliber guard will be as good as Tray Smith. No, will he be good enough for what you need? Yeah? Probably, So it's I'm kind of in between on Trey Smith. I need to see the rest of the picture to see how there's a way he works. But I need to see the rest of the picture. I also don't.
Speaker 1: And look, maybe it's it's not a big deal to him whatsoever. I'm also not completely losing sight of the fact that he's a right guard, So he played right guard in Kansas City, Joe Toney obviously played left guard in Kansas City or has played left guard in Kansas City. I don't know if it's as big of a deal as flipping at tackle. I think flipping at tackle tackle is problem as big. It might be a little bit of a bigger deal. But at the same time, we've done this before. We've seen this before, we flipped guys around. So now you're gonna pay a guy twenty million dollars to potentially pay him out a position.
Speaker 2: Didn't Did he play left guard like early in his career? Am I imagining that.
Speaker 1: He's only played right guard in Kansas City? To my knowledge, I went back and clicked through a PFF, and I'm pretty sure he's only played right guard. Maybe he played left guard in college. You know those guards, It's it's different than.
Speaker 2: That's even further back. Yeah, guards is easier because you're still it's about which way you're moving. Guards are moving. Well.
Speaker 1: It's also just like I think you know guards tend to cross train a lot more than tackles, I would say, especially in college, and they flip around and stuff like that. So I'm not saying it's a deal breaker that he that he played predominantly right guard in Kansas City, but it's a it's a factor. I think if you're gonna pay a guy that kind of money, yeah, and then now we're gonna we're gonna flip sides, just like they've done with other people.
Speaker 2: You know me, I'm very anti lineman flipping sides, Like I think you play your position, but if it's doing it, guard is not easy. Doing it tackles a completely different beast like it's not it's a little apples to oranges. I will say this. I've seen some people Sayking Tradesmiths play tackle. I'm out on that one. Oh go get a real tackle, I'm out on that one. If you want to move to the left guard, I'll have that conversation. I'm not playing him at right tackle. I'm certainly not playing him a lot. That's the toughest move you could make is right guard to left tackle.
Speaker 1: So last one here you mentioned him, Javon Holland, who it sounds Cameron Wolf last night on NFL Network. I believe it is reported that they it's trending towards no tag for Jamon Holland in Miami, So he's gonna be a free agent. Now it goes back to a little bit of what you were saying about, like the twenty twenty one offseason, right, if you're gonna spend him, you gotta spend the money somewhere. And if you're kind of not gonna spend it at receiver and there's not any real receivers to spend it on, and so on and so forth, then just getting the best players on the market might be the way to go. Javon Holland is absolutely gonna be a top five player available on the free agent market, maybe even higher on some list. So he's one of the best.
Speaker 2: Players of a who's ahead of them. If we're taking t Higgins off, probably you.
Speaker 1: Know it's gonna be him, It's gonna be Sweat, it's gonna be Trey Smith. You know, those are gonna be the top three, I would.
Speaker 2: Think, and it'll take him out of Tray Smith.
Speaker 1: So he's a really really good center fielder, awesome free safety. Now you just paid Kyle Dugger, you just pay Jabriel Peppers. We don't know what's gonna go happen with Jabriel Peppers off the field, right all that illegal drama and stuff like that with him, So we'll see what happens with all of that. It absolutely fits better in the back end to have Dugger with Javon Holland you have a true free safety, you have a strong safety or with whatever you want to call it these days, hybrid or whatever, and it fits the puzzle fits much better with those two guys.
Speaker 2: And we know they're not a player afraid to play three safety like you can absolutely have all three of them on the field at the same time. We've talked about them using some small or quicker linebackers. Now most of those guys are still two twenty five. Kyle Dugger and Jabrill Peppers are both around two fifteen. But these good football players, like, can you do some stuff where they're essentially it's not gonna be full time, but swapping into maybe those those smaller linebacker roles.
Speaker 1: I just wonder if one of those guys dugg Er Peppers. And obviously it's complicated with Peppers, so I don't know if this is how much you'd really get. I don't even know if it would be an option, but I'm not ruling out trading either one of those players and signing a guy like Javon Holland, keeping one of those guys and then having a much more uh, you know, like I was saying, you know, the puzzle fits a lot better in the back end together with those guys playing off of each other. In Tennessee, the Titans had Kevin Bayard for years with Rabel And say that again, Kevin Byared.
Speaker 2: Byered you buy Ard the a Why do you harp on that because it was difference? Does it make I have never heard of Pear.
Speaker 1: I'm rolling here, you said his name, continued, Kevin Byard, whatever you want to get that on this guy, you know, for a long time in Tennessee, was Pro Bowl, all Pro caliber safety, playing that that perch up top, you know, playing over the top of the of the defense.
Speaker 2: And I just.
Speaker 1: Wonder if Frabele would look at Javon Holland and see a pretty similar player, because I do and see a pretty similar skill set. I love the idea of going after Javon Holland. Now, yeah, it has to make sense, Like you have to make that safety room work, and you don't want to have you know, just like we were talking about with guards, you're gonna have what thirty forty million dollars invested in three safeties. That's a that's a lot of money in terms of the roster building. But they have so much money, and they.
Speaker 2: Have so much These are some of the things you can do when you have not just a quarterback, but they have their star corner on a rookie contract as well. Those are big money positions. So and they really, what do they have invested in linebacker? Bentley's deal isn't significant? No, so you can't it's significant. He's a good player, but like it's not a lot of money. So if you're saying, all right, well, you know, we're not. We have these three safeties, so we're not. You know, maybe that's a guy that we're keeping in place of a linebacker. Borrow some money from the linebacker room. Who borrow some money from the cornerback room. Because we have a top five corner in the league in Christian Zalez making rookie money. Borrow some money from that quarterback room. Things like that. You know, ideally in two to three years two to three to four years, we start parsing the well, you know, it's a lot of money spent at this position or a lot of money spent at that position, because they've a lot of good players right now. Like you said, off the top there, just get the good football player and then you go from there. And I will say too, to your point about the trades. I know Duggar, you know, with his legal situation, is tough to trade. The well, Kyle Dougga's coming off that ankle injury that clearly limited him last year, so he might be tough to move as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I look at free agency maybe a slightly different than the draft in terms of best player available, because in free agency, there's not the pool isn't as large in terms of the top end town, the pool.
Speaker 2: Isn't as large, and it's not like you get to pick your free agent and then thirty free agents go before you get to go.
Speaker 1: There, right right, So in free agency, I think when you go into free agency with needs in mind, like we need a left tackle, we need a wide receiver, we need this player, you end up with mediocre players in those spots. A lot of the time you and I'm not trying to throw shade at these guys, but like in twenty twenty one, you know, you end up with the Nelson Agalors and you end up with a guy in Johnny Smith who wasn't really a fit, but like it was the best tight end on the market, so we're gonna sign him. Anyways, you you needed a corner of defensive back, so you end up with a guy like Jalen Mills, who's a solid player, but he's not a game changer. He's not a real difference making player. So when you go into a free agency, if Javon Holland is the best free agent on the market and you're the team sitting there with the most cap space and he's a damn good football player, sign Jevon Holland, right, And then you figure out all these logjams and things like that as you go. You know, if Tray Smith is the best free agent on your board and you have one hundred and thirty million dollars in cap space and can now bid everybody, then sign Trey Smith. And yeah, it's a lot of money invested in guards, Like, there's no doubt about that.
Speaker 2: You're not paying tackles and if you get your tackle in the draft, you're not gonna be paying tackles for a few years now.
Speaker 1: You know. And you have a really sturdy, very really good depth to the pocket. For Drake May, yeah, he has a pocket to step up into. He's got a nice clean shelf all the time. You can run the football, you know, up the middle, up the gut, you know, just like Josh McDaniels wants to do. Like you can really look at that and say, all right, we have we have something to build off of, just like Kansas City, you know, with those three guys in the middle. So I look at the free agency a little bit different. Similarly bit different in terms of that within the draft because of the talent pool, what what is available to you is very different in free agency than it is in the draft. You can't force it in free agency, you just can't. So that's free agency. I want to hit on a few of these top storylines with the combine, and then the emails are just rolling in, so we'll get to all these emails here in a few minutes. But I think the three biggest storylines, sorry, the four biggest storylines going in for the Patriots. I figured but these are the four that actually matter.
Speaker 2: Okay, one of them is about some guys you really like, so I don't think you're gonna have.
Speaker 1: It number one to me.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And this is not Patriot directly related, but it's Patriot adjacent. This is the time of year where the quarterbacks really start to solidify themselves, right. You start to get into those meeting rooms, you start to get into throwing sessions. But most importantly, at an event like the Combine, this is probably the first time that these teams have truly interacted with cam Ward and interacted with Shador Sanders face to face in their top decision makers, their general managers, they're head coaches, their offensive coordinators, putting them up on the whiteboard, talking to these guys about football, talking about life with these guys. That's a big deal in this draft for the Patriots, even though they don't need a quarterback, we all know the scenario. If they can get two of these quarterbacks to get to go in the first three picks of this draft, it changes everything for the entire draft for the Patriots. If Abdul Carter or Travis Hunter is sitting there at the fourth overall pick and they need the quarterbacks to go, So I just quickly on the quarterback or.
Speaker 2: Just within that even if one goes and it's not the ideal scenario, but somebody's showing enough that the Raiders or the Saints fall in love and are willing to give up the typical quarterback package to move up and get them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fair enough. Looking quickly at these quarterbacks, I haven't done deep dives into these quarterbacks, but I have done, you know enough that I feel watched Xavierstrepo.
Speaker 2: You've watched Travis Hunters.
Speaker 1: So I've seen enough of them at this point to have a take. And I look at cam Ward, I kind of I think I might have test you this. I see a little Justin Fields and cam Ward there's an issue with holding the ball. There's an issue I think in terms of decision making and prosing speed that exists there. But there's all sorts of multiple talent, right, There's a lot of physical talent, there's a lot of arm talent. I think the one difference between Ward and Justin Fields and the reason why I brought up Justin Fields. Both could run a little bit. Both have the same kind of build. I would say, like cam Ward is not like a six foot five prospect, right, you know, he's gonna be probably more built like a like a big running back instead of a typical quarterback build. But the one thing I would say is a little bit different with cam Ward than Justin Fields. I think his arm is more flexible, Like, I think he has more he has more pitches to throw, and he can throw from different arm angles. Like Justin Field, Justin feels always really robotic to me, you know, like it was a robotic release. He had to have his feet set and have a platform, whereas I think cam Ward's got a little bit more of that off platform ability. But you could talk yourself into it with cam Ward easily. I mean the physical tools are definitely there. I just think that there's a little bit of rawness overall to his pro into the quarterback nuance in the detail. With Shador Sanders, I feel like it's kind of the opposite. I think Shador is an okay athlete. I think he has a decent arm. I don't think he's wows you with physical traits Like I don't think you watch the door and say, wow, that is a you know, a Drake may type prospect or someone like that that's just got a ton of physical talent. But what I do see with Shador is like a natural feel for the pocket, a natural feel for decision making processing, but just a natural feel for quarterback play, which I think makes sense. His father is a head coach. Yeah, you know he's gonna he has grown up in this life. He's grown up around really good quarterbacks. You know, he's worked with Tom Brady, like, he's done all that kind of quarterback guru stuff from you know, Manning, passing camps and all that good stuff. Probably since like the sixth grade, he's been doing all this kind of stuff. So he's a natural quarterback, but maybe not the athlete that cam Ward is, whereas cam Ward's the ball of clay. Both these guys I think you can talk yourself into in the top ten. I don't think it's as blasphemous as maybe I thought, like a month or six weeks ago that agreed, I think these guys are better than that. If I had to go with cops, like I said, cam Ward reminds me a little bit of Justin Fields with maybe a little bit more freedom in his arm, And then I would say with Shador, I don't know if you how you feel about this, But I kind of see a little bit of Bonnixt in this game, Like.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I see a good athlete, but not a great athlete. I see a good arm, not a great arm. And I see some moxie and some toughness. H So I see a little bit of bon Nix in there with him. But overall, like I Bonix went what twelve or whatever it was last year, and you know, justin Fields, I think it was ten or eleven wait to Chicago.
Speaker 2: You compare Sanders to bon Nicks, but you also compared bo Nicks to quinn Ewers.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've ever compared both you did last year.
Speaker 2: You did last year. I remember this very what is You're like, what does it matter? Because quin you weres Anders are nothing like.
Speaker 1: I don't think I ever compared both you did.
Speaker 2: I remember it, Okay, I don't know. I think is a better athlete and you're giving him credit for I thinks is a pretty good athlete. He had a I mean, that offensive line in Colorado was atrocious, yep, and he had to compensate for that a lot, and I think he did a good job of it. But it definitely impacted him at times. I'm trying to again, I can't get behind Nicks. I'm trying to think of a better comp. I'm going back to like quarterback classes in my mind right now.
Speaker 1: I feel like my my comp with Nick's other than like the skill set part of it is more just like how I viewed the ceiling and the floor of Shador Sanders.
Speaker 2: Like I think can elevate a little bit. I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he's a true elevator, but I think if you put him with Sean Payton and behind a great offensive line, and now that you know what Denver basically said bo Nix up with, I think that there's a really good chance that Shador has a pretty good start to his career.
Speaker 2: I think he can do more in terms of like throwing receivers open, and I think he can access some more parts of the field than bo Nicks can, especially when you're talking about between the numbers. I still can't really come up with a comp. I'm like trying to go back through the years in my brain, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter. Yeah, the comp isn't important. The important part is is that this is the time of year where it really kind of starts for these quarterbacks in terms of all of the interview process, the vetting process, and all that kind of stuff that makes a lot of these decisions at this time of year. Like if you were in honest, true serum form with Elliott Wolf and Girodemeo this time last year, they truly did not know which quarterback they were gonna take necessarily, I don't think at three overall, once you get through the pro days and stuff like that, it really starts to solidify itself. So that's the quarterback take.
Speaker 2: I want to add on to that, But real quick, how about as a comp that's not a do on say Baker Mayfield because they both kind of have that moxy they can bols. What are we talking about? You did you need?
Speaker 1: You need to go watch bo Nix last year with Denver?
Speaker 2: I really don't. Yeah, you do.
Speaker 1: It was better than you think.
Speaker 2: The the other thing about the uh.
Speaker 1: You just said Baker, that's literally bo Nicks.
Speaker 2: No, Baker, Baker. Baker is more of a live arm. I think he's better in the intermediate, he's better in the pocket. Maybe if we're doing floor ceiling or middle ceiling.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think if you're comparing him to Baker and bo Nicks and I'm comparing him to Bonnicks, I think we're in the same ball.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, we just feel very differently about Bonex. Yeah. I know. The other thing with the quarterbacks too, is like, does anybody else enter this conversation? And I know that sounds ridiculous in this quarterback class where you know, comparing the top prospects to Justin Fields and Bonnicks. But if somebody else does move up, you know, now maybe a third teams trading up for that pick, or somebody moves up in the late first round, and that pushes a prospect down a thirty eight something like that. So the guy I'm looking at, for whatever reason, Jackson Dart, got a ton of hype after the Senior Bowl.
Speaker 1: Good agent, It's J. J.
Speaker 2: McCarthy all over again. I have no clue what is going on there, but you know what, sure, I'll say this, I think an NFL teams should totally give up a ton to trade up to four to take Jackson Dart right like I would love that, Please do go ahead. It's not gonna happen, But like does Jackson Dart build on any of that momentum. Will Howard off winning the National Championship and really turning things around off that Oregon game. He's got the frame, he's got the arm, he's a little bit older, he has that experience. He's somebody. Maybe if he tests well at the combine, I could see teams buying in on. And then the real wild carters Jalen Milroe, who obviously did not have the season a lot of people wanted him to have coming off of what was a very very good twenty twenty three season. But the athleticism, the arm, strength, the the what's the word courage, I guess in the pocket, like toughness, toughness in the pocket. That's a good one, you know. It's you talk about a Paul of Clay, big time ball of Clay.
Speaker 1: That was an interesting one to me.
Speaker 2: Those are the three if there's gonna be a those are the competitors with QB three. To me, it's Will Howard, it's Jackson Dart, and it's Jaln Milroe. Will Howard and Jaln Milroe or kind of a flavor thing. I'm literally only including Jackson Dart. It's the same thing we did with Will Levis a couple of years ago too, where like he's not even as good as he's not. He's a worse. Will Levis is my cop. But it's like I refuse to talk about Will Levis going as high as people said he was going to until it got to the point where, well, I have to acknowledge it because so many people are talking about it. So fine, I'll talk about it, but it probably shouldn't happen. But I'll put him in the conversation because, like you say, he's a great agent, so apparently we have to put him in the conversation. I'm so glad we're not doing quarterbacks with the Patriots this year. I'm so glad.
Speaker 1: I have no idea what anybody saw in Jackson Dart that week in Mobile, that all of a sudden he became the darling of the quarterbacks that were in Mobile. Jalen Milroe is intriguing ish because I hate to do this to them, but like it's a copycat league. People are gonna see Jalen Hurts and they're gonna think Jalen Milroe. They just are. It's lazy and it's bad. But that's just the bottom line, that's how the league works. They're gonna look at him dual threat quarterback, somebody that most people consider raw as a passer. But we can develop them and we can get them there, and if he's supported and all that stuff, well he'll be Jalen Hurts or something like that, and you know, water down Jalen Hurts. Will Howard's intriguing to me for one reason, and that's that if you're one of these OC or head coach play callers that is really convinced that your system is just the beas knees right, like your system is just going to prop up any quarterback. Kyle Shanahan is an obvious one, although I don't really see why.
Speaker 2: But whatever the case, No, what do you mean, you know, if they don't want to pay Rock Party.
Speaker 1: It sounds like they're gonna pay Rock Party.
Speaker 2: If they don't want to you Will Howard on day two.
Speaker 1: If they go to brock Purty with the Daniel Jones contract and it's like really kind of just a two year deal, then maybe obviously Chip Kelly is in Vegas. Now, say he need a quarterback.
Speaker 2: Vegas for Will Howard makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: If you're looking for that brock Purty type of quarterback where all you're asking him to do is hit the buttons on the controllers in a perfect situation with the perfect line and perfect skilled players and all that kind of stuff. Will Howard just did it at Ohio State, right, And he can do that. And I think he's different from JJ McCarthy because JJ McCarthy was like high ceiling, low floor, right, whereas I think Will Howard is just game manager.
Speaker 2: Well, there's already different. Will Howard's a lot more experienced, he's bigger. Yeah, JJ McCarthy was more athletic. Howard is more athletic than people think, especially if you go watch the Kansas State tape. He did more with his legs at Kings Sikes in need to last year, except the one time he really didn't need to when he did against Oregon. But I don't know why I keep going back to that, but like he's yeah, he's that guy. He is as plug and play a quarterback as there is in this draft except Jackson darterpar all.
Speaker 1: Right, So that's the quarterbacks. They spend way too much time on quarterbacks for team.
Speaker 2: It's no, but it's definitely it's how it sets up the board for the paper.
Speaker 1: It's definitely irrelevant, and not only just last thing. It's not only irrelevant at four. It could be relevant at thirty eight because you brought up Will Levis, who goes early second round, and is I think he's the first pick of Day two Titans trade up for that he might have, They might have. It sounds right, So it's a factor twenty three. It's a factor in the in the draft of how these quarterbacks fall and what that means for the Patriots. The second biggest storyline for the Patriots at the combine, I personally think it's the second biggest. Maybe Travis Hunter and what he says about his position they did both privately and publicly is the biggest, is the second biggest story line. But to me personally, Will Campbell's arm length and measurements is the second biggest.
Speaker 2: April second, Sunday or March second, sorry Sunday, mark your calendars.
Speaker 1: That to me is the second biggest story line. I've gone back and forth enough about on Twitter with people. I think everybody understands my stance on Will Campbell. The one thing I'll continue to just say about Will Campbell stop calling it a major reach if they take him at four. We got to stop with that. It's not He's a consensus top player in the draft. He's been a top tackle prospect in the draft since last year, when a lot of people thought he would have been, you know, right in between Joe Walton and Olufushanu if he was able to come.
Speaker 2: Out last year, which is I still think where he is, yeah, as a player.
Speaker 1: And now he is this year. He's sixth on the consensus board. He's sixth on Dan Brugler's Top one hundred, He's eighth and DJ's top fifty. He is a top top prospect in this draft. If he comes in next week and he's got thirty two and one eighths inch arms, that we have to put it to bed, and I will let it go. I will put it to bed at that point. I don't think that's going to be the case.
Speaker 2: I don't think so either. It's just a hunch.
Speaker 1: I don't have any great information, a hunch.
Speaker 2: It's more a hunt for me because Daniel Jeremiah tweeted I think in late January that Campbell was working out as a tackle and he could he can go buy a tape measure he can measure his arms right. If he thinks he's gonna be going through the process as a guard, training is a tackle is a massive waste of time and a very important taking his life. So if he's still training as a tackle, my guess is he has an idea that he's going to measure in as a tackle.
Speaker 1: I think he's going to come in right over thirty three inches. And this is just a hunch. I don't have any inside information. I just think he's going to come in right over thirty three.
Speaker 2: Have you seen the people who did the thing where it's like the computer generated it's him, and all right, we know he's this tall and he'll do this, and it's gonna as talking fever about this the other day. He's gonna come in at thirty two and seven eighths because that's for the content, that's where it's the best. Because he comes in thirty three or higher, he's a tackle. Yeah, thirty two and a half or less, he's a guard. Yeah, thirty two and seven eighths is where we have the conversation because now it becomes is he okay, he's below the benchmark, but by literally like this much, right, is he talented enough to reset the benchmark the way ra Shaan Slater did three years ago. Thirty two and seven eighths is where the conversation is anything else. There's no conversation one way or the other. I'll make this pledge to all the people that hate Will Campbell out there right now. If he comes in over thirty three, you shut up about the guard stuff. If he comes in thirty two and a half or less, all shut up about the tackle stuff. Thirty two and seven eighths is where we have a debate.
Speaker 1: I look at Will Campbell's film and I just I've watched multiple times. Yeah, I try to see both sides of it. I just don't think that length is his biggest issue. I'm not saying that he doesn't have to make up for it a little bit in other ways, because he does.
Speaker 2: There's no such thing as a perfect process. But I don't I see.
Speaker 1: His biggest issue to me right now is that he overshoots or oversets his landmark to the outside, and that opens up those inside counters, right, so he gets spun off, or he gets beat to the inside, across his face and things of that nature. That to me is more about like footwork than it is about length. And with tackle play and offensive line play, everything starts from the ground up. It's a lot like quarterback. It's everything starts with your feet. It's feet, and then it's do you have a natural plan and feel for the position and play strength? Those are the three biggest boxes you need to check. He checks all three of those boxes. He's a great athlete for the position. He moves well for the position. He's a very very seasoned and battle tested.
Speaker 2: Tackle in the by the way, he's.
Speaker 1: Strong as heck. It's probably his best strength is his core strength and his upper body twitch and his power in his h in his body. He's a very strong dude. So when you check all three of those boxes, like those are the foundational elements to me to play tackle.
Speaker 2: In the league.
Speaker 1: Now we can talk about, all right, how is he going to hand fight? How is he going to set to counter the fact that he doesn't have the great length? That's all coach, which I agree is all coachable.
Speaker 2: So as Lexie's functional length, we'll.
Speaker 1: Get to Will Campbell, you know, we'll see his arm length. Maybe we put it to bed one way or and now there, let me.
Speaker 2: Ask you this. I'm putting it to bed because a lot of people want them to trade down, and we talked earlier about how they don't have a clear starting left guard. Yeah, let's say they sign Alaric Jackson in free agency, right, and you know they moved down in the draft. Let's say they moved down to like ten eleven twelve somewhere in there. Would you take him as a guard at ten eleven twelve.
Speaker 1: Oh, at ten eleven twelve, probably.
Speaker 2: Not a four. I'm not at four if they depending on what happens in free agency, there might be because I think he's a hell of a guard too, if he's playing guard. Yeah, Like, if you move down, there's a chance he's, you know, one of the better players of bill. I don't know that i'd take him over like a Tyler Warren, But if you move down that far, you get what's fair for it. I'm not writing him off in Tigerly, it just becomes a lot, lot lot less realistic.
Speaker 1: I just look at two things that I hear a lot with Will Campbell. One is that he'd be a massive reach out for I need this not sure that needs to stop, but that's not true. And the other is the word value, and that the value isn't good enough, which I'm not really sure what that means.
Speaker 2: I it's it's something. Well, it's like, what does that mean? It's also the thing people Well, I think it's just something people use as a placeholder. I feel like it's a This is a and I'm not like coming at anybody. I mean this honestly, and it's something I've dealt with. This is a difficult draft to talk about because of the lack of talent. Yeah, and a lot of things that we usually fall back on maybe aren't available. So when I hear people say I wouldn't take Will Campbell at four, the value is taking him at you know, seven eight nine. I wouldn't take Tech McMillan at four, but I take him at seven eight nine. Right, Guys like that, you know, uh, Mason Graham, same thing. Wouldn't take him at four, but I feel a lot better take him at seven eight nine because you feel like in a normal draft, that's where he go. Okay, well, you got to tell me then, when you move back from four to seven, or you moved back from four to nine, who's going in the picks in between? It's pushing him down because if you like and don't get to magically move back.
Speaker 1: And the other thing with the trade down thing that that's starting to bug me is why is the team at at nine or the team at seven or the team at ten or whatever, like you have to have a reason to trade to nine.
Speaker 2: Six And I shouldn't have been using seven. I pulled that out of my ass. It's six and nine.
Speaker 1: It's okay, But you're convincing me. Then they're trading up for the quarterback, right, which I.
Speaker 2: Just don't see happening. It's not a guarantee, but just for the sake of the conversation, right.
Speaker 1: Correct, But like that's what we're doing. We're just making up conversation. And like six and nine to me, like every we would all unless Abdol Carter, Travis Hunter is sitting there at four, Yeah, I would confidently say that we would all take the trade down. We would all do it. We would all trade down in this draft. It's the way to go for them. It adds draft capital. It's not a great top of the draft. You're not talking about getting a Joe Alter or Marvin Harrison junior or a Molik neighbor level talent at that spot, it's the move. But who is trading up and why? And what are you getting for it? Like is it worth the trade?
Speaker 2: That's that's the other thing. You don't just move down if it's all right, you know Saints called move down to nine, you know will give you nine and a third round pick. No, that's not worth it, and you don't want to set that precedent, even if somebody might say, well, if that's all you can get in this draft, it's better than nothing. But now next year, when you're on the phone with teams, like you've set and this is gonna happen to other teams too, like you've set the value. It's it's economics at that point. Now six to nine is worth a third round pick, which it's not. And you don't want to set the precedent that it is because you might be trading down in the future and you don't want to have to set that. You're just you're you're it just to me.
Speaker 1: It's just comes back to you have to look at it and say, who is trading up and why are they trading up? And then to your point, who is going right from at nine? To make sure that you're getting Will Campbell at nine now or Ted McMillan at nine.
Speaker 2: For these mythical players that are going in between that. You know, if there's nobody who feel comfortable being drafting at four and five or six guys you feel comfortable drafting at nine, guess what those five guys are going between four and nine, right, Like, that's who's gonna fill Somebody's gonna fill that gap. So that part's really important to keep in mind that you're, uh, it's six sixth right on Danie jeremiahs board, Will Campbell sixth.
Speaker 1: He's eighth on on DJ's and he's sixth on Dane Brew.
Speaker 2: Fine, that's fine. And I don't know if he has the quarterbacks above them, but like I don't believe you can almost just erase those guys that he does, or if he is genty above him, you can erase genty right. Well, that goes to my other point of best player available, and this is bugging me. Just take the best player available. And you know how I feel about this, yea, what best player available is a myth? Just saying I want the team to draft the best player available as a myth, because what does that mean if we were going to say evan best player. Okay, so we're ranking them out of one hundred, right, how good are they at their position? Out of one hundred? Ashton Genty a better running back than Mason Graham is a tackle? Defense tackle? All right? So according to best player available logic, we're taking Ashton Genty. Is Ashton Genty a better running back then? I mean who else is? I'll throw Will Campbell in there is Ashton gent a better running back than Will Campbell is a tackle? Yes? Yeah? So is Go back to last year, if we're just talking about who was the best at their position, Tory Taylor was the best player on the board by pick like five or six something like that. I don't remember exactly. A lot of teams passed on Tory Taylor. A lot of teams didn't take the best player available. Now people are yelling at me, it's a punter, it's a running big. Well, now we're putting qualifiers on it. Now we're talking about positional value. So it's not best player available, it's and even within that, even if it's a guy to premium position. And this isn't something the Patriots are necessarily dealing with. This year. Beyond quarterback or maybe corner. You need a guy that's gonna play. You need a guy that's gonna have a path to succeed. So best player available really means best player available for the football team. That's not purely drafting for need either, because you can go in the in the too far in the other direction and that's how you end up with, you know, taking guards and you know too high and running backs to hie and things like that. You want a guy that is gonna give you the bang for the buck, and that's where value comes in. But there's a happy medium there just saying you're gonna draft the best player. You're gonna be drafting punters and running backs because usually five or six picks in the most talented player on the board punter, running back, kicker, maybe a guard because those positions are devalued, so you have to find that balance.
Speaker 1: So I think this is like a new segment that we might have and I understand that it's it's a little bit maybe pretentious on our end, but like the things that are just bugging us about the draft discourse, because I feel like this draft is already getting it. I've ever a.
Speaker 2: Long time said best player available as a myth. I've said that for two or three years.
Speaker 1: A month and that's not new. And I'm already annoyed by several things. The trade down one is annoying me because this is one of those drafts when I and when I was in Mobile, everybody everybody wants to trade down. Nobody wants to pick in this draft. Everybody wants to.
Speaker 2: Trade downing you keep everybody.
Speaker 1: If everybody wants to trade down, then who is trading up? Like I know, to go back to go, I will say it's crazy. Everyone wants to trade down. No one wants to pick high in this draft.
Speaker 2: I'll entertain the trade up trade down thing a little bit more because at the end of the day, when push comes to shove, we know teams will get dumb about quarterbacks. We know We've seen it time and time.
Speaker 1: Teams might get dumb about the quarterbacks in this draft because it's at that point it's just like the town stinks anyways. So like, if we're Tennessee and we really have a strong grade on cam Ward.
Speaker 2: We feel good about it. We don't think he might not be an MVP.
Speaker 1: Caliber quarterback, but we feel like he can be a starting quarterback in this league and we still have like a comparable ish grade on him as we do on Abdul Carter, Then like, why wouldn't we take the quarterback? Right? And that's how I feel about all the options for the Patriots at four to like your best player available point. If all these players are clustered together, If Will Campbell and Mason Graham and Ted McMillan and Tyler Warren or whoever are all in one big cluster on your draft board, position is a factors.
Speaker 2: It does start to factor. It's the tie breaker.
Speaker 1: It's a tiebreaker, right, because otherwise it just you have to pick somebody. So to get to who you're gonna pick, you're gonna start to go to some of the things that maybe don't matter quite as much as the overall talent of the player, but are factors in the decision. Positional value, how we interviewed, how he measured, how is athletic testing, Like all these different things are gonna start to be the tiebreakers because all this talent is kind of condensed. And in this draft, I feel like that is so true more than any other draft I've ever covered. That From like four to twelve. It's all kind of the same player. So now it's do you need to tackle? Do you need a running back? Do you need a pass rusher? Do you do you need a corner?
Speaker 2: Will Johnson and we can debate, We can debate what the biggest need is at that point, like that's fair to do. And I think we both think it's tackling of those edge rusher. I might have that conversation, but yeah, yeah, to me, it's at that point. Position does factor and as well. But I'm not ruling out the trade down entirely. I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm just telling you that I get that everyone wants out of this draft.
Speaker 2: I get that, and it suddenly and then suddenly you're a GM and you know the owner is really breathing on you. Who's our quarterback going to be this year? And maybe get some intel. You know, you're the Saints at nine, that were the Jets at seven or eight, whatever. You know, the Jets are hot after one of these quarterbacks announce all right, you know, gotta we gotta make ownership happy. We gotta save our jobs. We need this quarterback. We got to move like that can all. I will never rule out teams being stupid about quarterbacks. I will never rule that out because I've seen it happen too many times. I was told last year ad nause them. It was yelled into my face that Michael Pennix there was no shot he was gonna go in the first round. He was QB four. He went in the top ten. And I'm not saying that was a dumb pick. I liked that pick. The JJ McCarthy one was dumb. And that's the one where I was rung where I was like, I think teams will get it right, and they didn't. They picked them too high. So I quarterbacks will always fly up the board. Will they fly up enough that it benefits the Patriots in either pushing down Carter or Hunter or at least they can get a significant trade down out of it that I don't know. That is where maybe it's a step too far. But the quarterbacks are gonna go higher than people think. They're gonna be valued more than people think. A couple of the Tier two quarterbacks that we just talked about are gonna get talked about as top ten, top fifteen picks. They might even end up being that, because that's what generally happens with this league in quarterbacks, So saying that any of that is correct from the team's point of view, but I've seen it happen too many times. I'm not rolling it out.
Speaker 1: Okay, next point on here for me in terms of the combine. Now that we've gotten all that off our chests and I can die, I digress on those points. Josh Simmons, So medical rechecks, Yes, that's big time this time of year. My guess is that teams that are interested in Josh Simmons will also have him in for thirty visits to get their own medical staff on location to go through the knee as well. But his torn bertel attendant and his knee, I don't remember if it's left or right. I think it's right. Is the cold Strange injury?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: So Cole Strange missed an entire calendar year of football.
Speaker 2: It is worth noting. Didn't he say he had a setback?
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't remember hearing that, but you could be right. But so Josh Simmons a left tackle for Ohio State. There's there's two big things to go to discuss with Josh Simmons. Because the other thing that you hear a lot of and I'm not like as I'm bothered by this is like the Will Campbell stuff. But the other here thing you hear a lot of what Josh Simmons is. Well, just take Josh Simmons, right, Just take Josh Simmons. Uh, you know, with your second pick and that way there you don't have to quote unquote reach on a tackle at four.
Speaker 2: Overall, I don't know why I thought cold Strange said that I can't find it.
Speaker 1: Oh you mean Josh Simmons.
Speaker 2: No, close Strange.
Speaker 1: You think Strange had a set back.
Speaker 2: No, I thought I remember when he came back. I thought I remembered him saying when he was like talking about rehab that he was like, oh, like that he had a setback on so normally, so.
Speaker 1: That injury has become worse than like the torn ACL Like ACLS, they have kind of streamlined the surgery and the rehab and they have a good feel for that injury. This injury torn Betel attendant is a deadly injury like it is not. Again, well, let's say you're being metaphorical there. Yeah, of course deadly injuries.
Speaker 2: Okay, that has a literal meaning devastating injury.
Speaker 1: Yes, Uh, to have and so cold strange missed an entire calendar year of football. Josh Simmons was injured in November of last year, which means that at best we're projecting him to come back in November of this coming up season to make his NFL debut as a rookie.
Speaker 2: Right So, in.
Speaker 1: All intents and purposes, if you're drafting a guy like Josh Simmons as of right now, and there'll be a report next week from somebody that he's way ahead of schedule, because he always is, what happens, you know, the agent puts it out there. I think his agents Drew Rosenhouse, he'll put it out there that he's way ahead of schedule and make it known that he's going to be healthy and ready to go. That being said, if Josh Simmons misses a calendar year of football, you are you're really not getting him until his second year of service.
Speaker 2: And even then is he going to be the same player after the injury. It's a very difficult injury to come back from. So on one hand, just from a Patriots point of view, I don't know that this team can afford to have its first round pick not play like they need to be better in the first Roundick is going to be a part to that and he's not going to play. And then on top of that, are you getting the same player? Is their risk of re injury? All of that. You know, I've compared it, and this is a little bit extreme. I've kind of compared it to Dominique Easley. Now. At the time, the Patriots were in a position to take a player like that because their roster was incredibly deep and they were picking at the end of the first round, and how do you get a guy who was the top fifteen talent at the end of the first round? Medical red flag? Malcolm Mitchell was the same thing, was much more talented than his draft slot, but had a history of injury. You take a significant risk when you take players like that. And here people talk about you know, with the talent, you know there's not a risk because the talent blah blah blah. He's very talented. I get that. The medical thing is separate. Well, if he was healthy, but he's not, yeah, and you need to evaluate him that way. I had a couple other players too for the medical check.
Speaker 1: So the other thing that's big with Josh Simmons and I just wanted to point out I think this has to be part of the conversation. Josh Simmons played five games last year for Ohio State. He played junk, He played nobody. He played a terrible you know, typical big time college program opening schedule right where he's playing, you know, really just not at like high level competition. So he absolutely dominated bad competition. Okay, his best competition I think he played Iowa in Michigan State, which were too not very good football.
Speaker 2: He get hurt against somebody good.
Speaker 1: He got hurt against Oregon. Yeah, in the first half against Oregon. He played like twenty snaps against Oregon. So if you want to draft a player in the first round based off of twenty snaps against Oregon, then be my guest. But my point that I'm getting to with Josh Simmons, his tape took a really big leap from twenty twenty three to twenty twenty four. The problem is is that once Ohio State got to the meat of the schedule, he was hurt. So we have no idea what he would have looked like against Michigan against the teams they played in the College Football Playoff. Like we just don't know if this tape that was dominant for stretches at the beginning part of the season, would it have held up against better competition. We'll never know. So not only are you taking an injury risk on the player, but you're also projecting that this is all was all real, that that was all real and all substantive in terms of his tape last year. That's a pick to me with Josh Simmons, as intriguing as the traits are and is intriguing as the prospect profile is with him. If you're Kansas City, if you're a San Francisco, if you're one of these teams that can take on a little bit of risk because you have the talent in other areas to take on that risk, this would be a classic dynasty era Belichick pick. Right, we're gonna take Josh Simmons. He might not play as a rookie, but in year two, we're gonna have a franchise left tackle, and guess what we have Matt Lighte like on the last year of his contract to play next season. It's exactly what Bill would have done if they were picking thirty second in a draft. He would have taken a chance on a guy like this. You know, obviously I hope it works out better for Josh Simmons, but like it's not all that different than like Dominique Easley, right, yea that yeah? Oh did you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What hose?
Speaker 2: Listen And I've been saying it for like three weeks. What the hell so texted that to you?
Speaker 1: So it's like Dominic Easley, right, So all of these things add up to him going to a team like that. It for the Patriots, I just don't think it's a very safe pick for them. I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense. But his medical recheck will happen, We'll see what the knee looks like. We'll hear from me and Rappaport that he's six months ahead of schedule, and we'll talk more and more about Josh Simmons as we go. Who is your other.
Speaker 2: I was I'm just gonna say, on Simmons, if he gets to thirty eight, I'd entertain it a little more, especially if they don't take a tackle at the top. But he's not getting past the Chiefs at thirty one. There's no way. There's no way. The other injury guys, his teammates Seth mc McLaughlin, who was the center there at Ohio State, was a starter at Alabama. We'll started at Ohio State. He got hurt a little later in the year Tours Achilles, so that's another very significant injury. But unlike Simmons, this is a guy that just projected to go fourth, fifth, maybe even sixth rounds somewhere middle of day three. So at that point, yeah, you can take on the hit of a guy not playing. And you know the other part of that comparison we made with Josh Simmons, Like you said, you know we have Matt Light to take over. You still have David Andrews for a year, So Seth McLoughlin can learn behind the scenes. You take him in the fifth round. Benjamin Morrison, corner from Notre Dame. He dealt with an injury at the end of the year. Bryson Nesbit, his stock was a little because of injury. And then the really interesting one. I've actually gotten some questions about this guy the past couple of days because I think people are starting to look more beyond the first round. Chavon Revel from East Carolina was a transfer. He's everything, you know how I like long man corner, great athlete, all of that, but I think he only played like three games before he tours ACL and he's Carolina, so he really is an unknown. There's a ton of untapped potential there. He is somebody because he tours ACL so early in the season. I don't know that he's making it on the field like one of camp. But he's gonna be able to play as a rookie. He would be if his medicals check out. The Patriots want to get aggressive at corner. If he does fall to thirty eight, and maybe he doesn't if the medicals don't check out, if the medicals do check out, but like, if he's somehow on the board of thirty eight and the health is good, would be a very interesting player for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The only other guy that I just because I watched him recently, actually yesterday. I don't think his injuries major, but Cameron Williams from Texas, the right tackle he had that knee injury in the College Football playoffs. Yeah, but it seemed like that was maybe more severe than what they initially thought, and he kind of cut it through it for the sake of the College Football playoff and played terribly. But that's not his fault for playing back.
Speaker 2: Sawyer is very good on a.
Speaker 1: He did a lot better against against Jack Sawyer or not Jack Sawyer. It was the Georgia tape, so they played Georgia in the regular season. Yeah, and he was a lot better in that tape than he was later in the College Football playoff. Still not like in love with him, But that's a thing too. I meant to bring up. With the tackles, It's hard in this class to me to find a Day two tackle that I love. I don't really, I'm not crazy about any of them. I think Josh Connery is the best out of that next way, but I think he's gonna go late first same but has all the issues that big hulking tackles like that have with his foot speed.
Speaker 2: You think he has a franchise starter upside.
Speaker 1: I do. I think he can start in the league. I left tackle just because guys that big that have his movement, but it's weird. His movement like translates the run games, but he's not as graceful in pass protection. He's a lot more lumbering when he's in his past set. When he's run blocking, he's like really athletic for his size. In pass protection not so much. And then you get to like that Donovan Jackson from Ohio State is a guard guard, not a tackle. He looks like a guard playing tackle through and through on his film all over the place. You know, guard guard, Wilett Milam, guard Center Center potentially. You know, so this year, last year you had that Kingsley, Siu, Mattia, Patrick, Paul Roger, Rose and Garden like you had a nice little day too tier in there. Obviously, the Patriots ended up taking Kid and Wallace with the last of that tier. This year, I don't think that that depth is as strong as tackle as it was last year, probably because you don't have the Alts and the Fashanus and the J. C. Latham's and the those guys pushing them down.
Speaker 2: I will say this though, the run on tackles is the theory I have. The run on tackles last year was not an anomaly because there's such a shortage at the position. I think this is gonna become a norm. Once the tackles start going, they're gonna go. And so some of those guys you just mentioned, like maybe we don't love, but they're gonna go higher than we think. I think this is until we get balanced back out in this tackle shortage ends, which when that's gonna be. I think this is going to become a thing where we're gonna start seeing tackles go much earlier than we expect, and we're gonna see these runs on that position on Day two. Hopefully the Patriots don't miss it this year. They missed it last year, but I don't think that was an anomaly. I think that that's going to kind of become the norm.
Speaker 1: Next storyline here for me. Yeah, I mentioned it briefly before, but all eyes are gonna be on Travis Hunter's podium when he goes up there and he answers questions about what position he wants to play, what position he's going to play. Teams obviously privately are gonna have conversations with him about their plan and their vision for how they would use him in the NFL. It's a big week for Travis Hunter to present himself in this way and kind of make his pitch to play both publicly and more importantly privately of how he wants to be used at the next level. I released my tears, like I mentioned earlier, with the wide receivers. I still think Travis Hunter is the best receiver in the class. I've been pretty consistent with that. I would play him at wide receiver. Maybe that's a little bit of Patriots biased because that's the bigger needs.
Speaker 2: I think it happens on the team.
Speaker 1: I would play my wide receiver period.
Speaker 2: What if you're like in, he's not a fall as far, but like if you're the Eagles who were loaded wide receiver.
Speaker 1: In corners, like I guess, Like, yeah, I guess at the end of the day, you want to be really specific about it.
Speaker 2: How many team's gonna have a shot at him five if we're being generous?
Speaker 1: If so, what at all? It's And I've had the same take on him the whole time. What it comes down to with Travis Hunter is where is what is? How is he going to be more impactful for your football team? And I just personally feel like he'd be more impactful playing wide receiver. I think that that's a given. Like you know, and everybody keeps on throwing at me because I'm you know, big Will Campbell guy. You know what Dante Scarnecki has said about scoring touchdowns or sacking the quarterback Where is covering receivers in that equation? Right?
Speaker 2: This is a guy that scores.
Speaker 1: Touchdowns on offense, had sixteen of them last year, and with Colorado, this is a guy that mixed big plays on offense with the ball in his hands at the catch point. He is a very very good receiver. Is he a better corner on film? Yeah? Probably? But like again, where is he gonna make the biggest impact on the football team. It's gonna be a wide receiver. I'm interested, really interested to hear what he says about it. He's listed as a defensive back. I don't want to look too much into that.
Speaker 2: I think that's just logistics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we'll see what happens. You know what he says. But the Travis Hunter of it all is a big time storyline.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna throw one more kind of substoryline in that. And you wrote about this guy too. He's not the only one that I think the position question is relevant. Yeah, Savian Williams.
Speaker 1: I like Savon Williams a lot, but I too, I'm terrified that's so not your guy. Well, you also like Trey Harris. What is going on with you? I'm terrified of Savian Williams would.
Speaker 2: Be, but you should like him and be terrified of him.
Speaker 1: I the thing with save On Williams, and I put him in that like role specific tier because I think that's what it is. You have to have a creative plan and usage. It's a lot. We talk about this all the time with like like John new Smith and things like that.
Speaker 2: Now Johnny Wilson.
Speaker 1: The difference between him and like a John new Smith with Josh McDaniels is Josh McDaniels had Cordeal Patterson and made Corderill Patterson a viable player for the Patriots in what eighteen was that seventeen eighteen? He won a Super Bowl right somewhere around there, No, when we were covering the team, So I want to say it was eighteen because he had the kickerturn in Chicago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, eighteen eighteen.
Speaker 1: So they were a step ahead on Cordeal Patterson running back, like they I they should take credit for that. They did it first. They put him at running back first. So if you see a guy like saving I'm not taking Savion Williams and expecting him to be any sort of savior. I'm not take I don't even know if i'd take him in the top one hundred. But if he if he's there at like one oh four for them in the fourth.
Speaker 2: Round, brainer, no brainer.
Speaker 1: I think he's a big time playmaker, and I think he's a little bit more fluid than Cordele Patterson. Maybe not as explosive in a straight line, but like, I feel like his route running, he's got a little bit more like sink and wiggle to his game.
Speaker 2: I'll be interested to see if he does any of the running back on field drills. Yeah, that would be interesting and I think that would tell us a lot. I figure he's gonna go He's listed as a receiver, right, I believe, so he's going to go through that and I expect him to the receiver drills and that'll be interesting too, because like his route running is a big question.
Speaker 1: But yeah, his hands, his hands are terrible. That I think is the biggest question.
Speaker 2: Does he do any of the there's a chance the gauntlet is ugly if he goes through the So you know he's gone to the gauntlet too, don't they do they?
Speaker 1: I don't remember. I think so he's a body catcher. He's got bad drops on film, like he's got some bad drops on film that like almost lead to interceptions, you know, like they just like bounce off his hands and pop up in the air and guys are around the ball. So you are you need to scheme touches for this guy, right, you need to get this player into space. But if they let him, you know, they use him like Patterson with the Patriots at the end there with Patterson, I think there's a chance that he's a viable player for you, like an offensive weapon. It's just gonna have to be creative. So that's a good one. Good shout up With Savan Williams. You're surprised I like him.
Speaker 2: I like, that's not your like fun, he's fun. He's fun.
Speaker 1: To be clear with Trey Harris, because you a couple of people brought this up to me. I like Trey Harris, but I'm not that's not my kind of guy. And like I'm if I had to bang the table for anybody in that tier, wouldn't be Trey Harris. But I watched his film and I was like, Okay, I can see it, Like I can see the ability there. A lot of his his yards and a lot of his big time production came against garbage defenses. But regardless, you know, you can see the movement and all that kind of stuff. I told you, I think my favorite guy from from that tier, other than the one other guy I want to bring up in a second, is probably Jalen noele Uh from you. I think that, you know, he's probably the best receiver in my mind in that group. But so Travis Hunter, we did the last one. You're gonna love. You're gonna love this one, and then you can.
Speaker 2: Be Tes Johnson's forty, I think he can break I.
Speaker 1: Think I think he's gonna break the record. So I shouldn't say I think he's gonna break it. I think he has a chance to break it. I think it's worth watching.
Speaker 2: I have I had your two guys, Tes Johnson, Isaiah Bond Yeah, on my list of players to watch. And I'll tell you why. What's the question I ask you every time you bring them up? Fast and what?
Speaker 1: So let's see the teds Johnson's not just fast.
Speaker 2: Let's see the gauntlet. I don't care so much about the ford. I mean the forty will be interesting if Tes.
Speaker 1: Johnes Tess Johnson's quick.
Speaker 2: Well, so I'm saying, let's see the Gauntlet. Let's see the three cone. Yeah, if he does, let's see the shuttle.
Speaker 1: People aren't doing three cones anymore.
Speaker 2: Let's see the shuttle then, yeah, the gauntlet will be telling like that. Let's see him and Bond. Let's see how they do in those in those. And with Tesz Johnson to especially, I know he measured it at the Senior Bowl. Did he put any more weight on? Did he hear the noise and put any more weight on? Between then and now?
Speaker 1: The problem with Tedes Johnson in terms of waight, and I haven't thought on Isaiah Bond too. The problem with Tesz Johnson is that I don't know if his frame can support any more weight, Like he's only five nine. Yeah, well that's so like you just here's who he is, Like he's too too out, well, at worst, he's tanked. At best, does he stay healthy? I don't know, right, Like, well, if.
Speaker 2: You're gonna use top forty pi kind of guy, which is probably where they would need to take him, you kind of need him to stay healthy.
Speaker 1: He I think he's faster on film than Isaiah Bond is Isaiah Bond's got that like gliding vertical speed right where like when he runs a fade, it just builds builds builds, and all of a sudden, he's buy you. Tedes Johnson is like blistering fast like he is quick, fast, agile, all of it. He pops off the film. In terms of his game speed, it's different than everybody else on the tape. So I think Ted Johnson has a real chance to break the record that Xavier Worthy just put down, which is what four to two to one, all right, So I think he has a real chance to break it. If he doesn't run in the four twos, I'd be shocked. He's gonna run the four two so he's gonna put down a really good time. I'm excited to watch him run. I love Tedes Johnson. I know he's gonna get hurt. I know it's not gonna last in the league. I know he'd get drafted by the Patriots. They get a month into the season, he'd have like three hundred and fifty yards and three touchdowns, like three games into his Patriots career, and then blow out his leg and like, you know, it'll be Malcolm Mitchell all over again or something. I understand. But if it all, if you can somehow stay healthy. That guy is a difference making receiver.
Speaker 2: That is a gift.
Speaker 1: That's a big if, but he is a big time playmaker if he stays healthy. Okay, what else you got?
Speaker 2: I think we pretty much hit on everything. Just we talked about the tie breakers. That pass rush group from like twenty to fifty. Yeah, is so crowded.
Speaker 1: Yep, so just kind of so as well take one at four.
Speaker 2: Right right, sorting some of those guys out. Well, if it's.
Speaker 1: Carter besides Carter, Carter, Carter was the exception, the last one that I had here. It's gonna surprise you a little bit. I am mildly intrigued by this running back class.
Speaker 2: You should be.
Speaker 1: The strength of this draft on offense is that running back and tight end. I think both those positions are gonna put on absolute shows. Yes, and this combine I think they not only is it the strength in terms of just there's great talent and depth of those two positions. I think they're great athletes at those two positions as well. So I think this is gonna be a combined group in both categories. A couple of guys I'm looking out.
Speaker 2: For evan running backs to watch. Let's hear this.
Speaker 1: I love Omarin Hampton. He's gonna go high. He's probably gonna go first round. So he might be way out of.
Speaker 2: The page that I think that's coming from me.
Speaker 1: I think he might be RB two in this class.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't be. He might be. You're right, he shouldn't be, but he might be.
Speaker 1: He's very very good.
Speaker 2: Shout out to it, as Jeremiah right. With three running backs in the round. That's how you do a mock draft.
Speaker 1: I have to think that. Two things I keep. I say it all the time. With him, I'm biased because I saw him at run routes at Drake Mace pro Day. I loved what I saw, and I think Drake loves him. So there's gonna be that element of it. Maybe it's probably high, too high for running back. Who's the running back from Kansas.
Speaker 2: The Neil Devin.
Speaker 1: Neil is the other guy at the Senior Bowl. I was really impressed with really good burst to the edge. I think he's gonna put down maybe not like the greatest forty time, but like those ten yards.
Speaker 2: More good ten yards play.
Speaker 1: He gets agility. I think he's really smooth with the football as well. So those are the two running backs. I mean, there's obviously one hundred running backs, but on the top of my list.
Speaker 2: I'm still fascinated. I can't get over all e Gorton. Alli Gordon's twenty twenty three at Oklahoma State was so dominant. He was so good, and I know he took the step back last year, but just looking at it and the big picture of what Oklahoma State football was last year, he was never in a position to succeed last season, and I got it frustrated him and all of that. He is a rare build at that position. He's faster than people realize because he's so big. I don't think people like he doesn't look as fast on tape as he actually is. And is he James White. No, but he's functional as a pass catcher.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like I just think he has so many great traits and we've seen him a bell cow back like he he was that Oklahoma State team in twenty twenty three. Right now, I'm seeing projections for him anywhere from you know, very late day two to I think PFF. Hasn't it like one fifty? Yeah, if you can get Ali Gordon at like one oh four, that would be an outstanding pick. But I think he's gonna have a really good combine and maybe blow that up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look, all these running backs are worth talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's even get to we didn't even get to Scatabow and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's a great class. Like just to read quickly here if I can pull it up. You know, Dan Brugler's top one hundred ad just at running back. I mean there's there's got what atching gent y. Caleb Johnson from Iowa was really good.
Speaker 2: He could be.
Speaker 1: Trayvon Henderson from Ohio State, Jordan James Jenkins from Ohio State, Dylan Samson, R. J. Harvey is his top one hundred. I mean it's not every year they have won two, three, four, five, six, seven eight in the top one pop.
Speaker 2: We're gonna tell you that's because a week it's a week class. That's not true. This running bad class holds up in other years. A lot of people have Henderson over Judkins.
Speaker 1: A lot of people do.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that. I think Henderson if you want a guy to be, you know, sturdy, reliable, four yards four yards four yards, Like, he doesn't lose yards, he doesn't go down easy, He's consistent, all that. Like, that's Henderson and there's value in that player. If you want a guy who's gonna like a home run hitter, a guy's gonna break big runs, guys more explosive, a little more dynamic, it's Judkins. So if we're ranking like the safer of the two, it's Henderson. But like, let's say the Patriots are on the board A sixty nine, they want to take a running back there between the two Ohio State guys, I'm taking Judkins. You're taking Judkins between the two of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I tend to agree with you based off of the playoff too. I thought that he looked like a game changer.
Speaker 2: There's a place for Henderson. Henderson's really good too. But you know, if you want to try to copycat league, right, Yeah, if you're trying to find the next Saquon Barkley, and I'm not saying Gwin, John Judkins is Saquon Barkley, you're trying to find that kind of back. Judkins is much closer than Henderson is to me.
Speaker 1: So running back tight end, Yeah, tight end again another position that's absolutely loaded in this draft. I think there's playmaking tight ends, there's blocking tight ends. There's like guys that can kind of do a little bit of both, like Tyler Warren, and there's also just straight up receiving tight ends, you know, like a Colston Loveland if you want to go first round. But then beyond that, I think there's a lot of guys that are also in that categories, those two categories, and it's become like is he the Gronk archetype or is he the Kelsey archetype? Right, Like those are like the two groups of tight ends. This class has them all the guy that I'm really ok.
Speaker 2: And then there's the Kittle type.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yes, you're right, but people don't give Kittle enough love.
Speaker 2: No, but like that more like h back movie. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the guy that in funny that you mentioned that, the guy that I'm really interested to see. I wasn't wow, like I wanted to be at the Senior Bowl. So I'm interested to see Harold Fannin's testing. The fact that I get it was at Bowling Green and I get they probably didn't play this like Murderer's Row of a schedule.
Speaker 2: He did you have a really good game? Who they played one Power five team? He was good. I think it was a and.
Speaker 1: M but fifteen hundred yards at tight end in college football is unheard of, Like, that's absolutely unheard of. I think he's gonna be a great athlete as well. You know, obviously Elijah Royo is coming off the Great Senior Bowl, but I think that he is kind of like a finesse tight end. Like I think that's gonna be a setting where he's gonna do really well. In Mason Taylor similar you know, just say Jason Taylor. I always get Jonathan Taylor and JA Jason, Jason Taylor's son also more of like a pass catching tight end, but he's really really athletic as well, you know, Gunner Hilm, like this, this is a really good class. It's a really good class at that position, and I think that they'll also impress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm interested to see nesbit. Like I get, he had a rough year and that knocks him down some. I'm surprised he's been knocked down as far as he has, so I'll be interested to see if he can build that back up at all.
Speaker 1: All Right, So that's the combine. I'm sure we'll have by questions about the combine, but I want to get to your calls and your emails and the emails Barth are just I mean, we're inundated with the emails, so we'll try to get through as many as we possibly can. But confidence it's important to have when you're on the road. With Bridgestone tires on your car, truck, suv, or minivan, you're riding on your tires, you can trust Bridgestone tires or engineer to give you peace of mind so you can focus on enjoying the journey. So whether you're on your morning commute, across country road trip, or a relaxing sundry drive, Bridgestone Tires will be with you wherever life's roads may lead. Bridgestone Solutions for your journey available now at Sullivan Tire. And looking to fill the football size hole in your heart, why not spend the offseason designing your dream game day den with Bob's discount furniture shot, Bob's winning selections of sofas, sectionals, love seats, and recliners. With all the bells and whistles, we're talking cup holders, charging ports, even bluetooth speakers. With Bob's flexible financing offers to fit any budget, you'll be ready for that first coin toss in no time, so stop in and stock up for next season with Bob's Sconne Furniture, the official furniture store, the official furniture store of the New England Patriots. There we go, All right, let's get to these phone calls. I know you guys have been waiting. Patty is an aguam. What's up, Patty?
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 1: How are we doing.
Speaker 3: Doing good today? So I had a question for you guys. I one of the guys that I'm very much intrigued by is the wide receiver for Iowa State. Not Jalen Noel, but Jayden Higgins.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: I will love him as a Day two pick, but if we're not able to get him, I wanted to get your guys opinions on possibly three possibly three Day three guys, have you watched them? If you have, what do you think about him? The first guy is Damuel Brown, the second guy is Kyron Lazy from LSU, and the last guy is Elijah Badger from Florida. And I'll take it off there, guys, as always, sorry about the joy.
Speaker 1: It's okay. You got any takes on those guys? Those are deep cuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Kyen Lacey has some that was the LC receiver. Yeah, I don't remember the exact details, but he has some serious legal issues, Like he's not.
Speaker 1: There's some I mean, I don't know if what with Keishan Boudi was serious. But from a player perspective, he kind of reminds me of like the guy that was supposed to be the next guy at LSU that wasn't the next guy for whatever reason at LSU. Kind of a similar story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was there, there was He's accused of head on crash, fatal crash, hit and run, leaving the scene of a crime. Yeah that's yeah, So Kyraen Lacey, I probably I would be surprised at this point if he gets drafted.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Who are the other wide receivers?
Speaker 1: He said, I don't I didn't recognize the other ones. I'm not gonna lie, he said.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to pull up the list here because if I see it, I'll remember it. He said something thing he didn't give the school for one of them. I know we set somebody from Florida.
Speaker 1: This is great radio.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was chim DK, but you saw a DK at the Senior Bowl who I liked. He was a Day three guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of those drops, but some of those senior Bowl guys. I know your guys.
Speaker 2: Call Elijah Badger. Yeah, we're gonna gover Florida receivers. I like DK.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take Sean and Ottawa. What's up Sean?
Speaker 2: Sean?
Speaker 1: You there? Okay? Sean callback and if if you have the time, he's probably afraid of USA Canada tomorrow. N I didn't want to talk to us Americans. Uh, let's get to these emails. A lot of emails, tons of emails. So we'll try to get through all these over the last half hour here of the show. Starting here. Well, I'll start with this email. All right. This email subject line is from Floyd in Michigan, who's a regular listener. Shout out Taylor Kyles says, Taylor Kyles was right. Taylor and I have been going back and forth a little bit on Twitter. We see this draft very differently. Love Taylor, I love him. We just see it very very differently. And and Floyd here says that he agrees with this point that Taylor made, and that was my issue is anytime I have seen Will Campbell bock to the Patriots, it is not because he's the best player available. It's not because he's the best scheme fit. It's because their offensive line was is so terrible, so it just they need an offensive lineman. He's the best offensive lineman scheme fit aside. I don't know exactly what that, but in terms of he's not the best player available, we kind of talked about this earlier in the show. I just want us to think about it and think about the gap, like how much is the gap really that exists? And if we're talking about players that are all clustered together, which is the way that I view it, Will Campbell, Mason Graham, I'll even throw Ted McMillan into that category. Potentially warrant I would throw into that category. You put all those guys, you know, Will Johnson into that tier. To me, the tiebreaker then becomes positional value. So you might think that Mason Graham is a slightly better prospect than Will Campbell, But I would say if you project Will Campbell to be a starting left tackle in the NFL, that is more valuable than a starting three technique is in the NFL.
Speaker 2: It's essentially all you know.
Speaker 1: It's also I should say a conversation two of Okay, well, what's going to be available through other avenues of talent acquisition. You can go and sign Milton Williams to play three technique. You can go and draft the kid from Toledo, Darius Alexander, to play three technique. On day two. You can go and draft you know, players like that on the second day of the drag on the edge. If you want to go that route. What you can't do is find a starting left tackle on Day two. I have not been I've watched fifteen tackles at this point between the Senior Bowl and like watching the film, I have not been convinced that any one of these guys in that Day two tier is going to be a true starting left tackle in the league. I think you're putting him right in that same category as a Caiden Wallace like has it. Maybe the Patriots can't afford has answer. They need an answer. So sure, you could go in free agency and sign Cam robinsoner Alaric Jackson and say we have our answer. That direction, that's a pat they want to go. They can go in that direction. But if we're strictly talking about the draft, the strength of the draft is the depth on the defensive line. So to me, if you're even ish between Mason Graham and Will Campbell, I'm taking the left tackle. It's that simple.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you, all right.
Speaker 1: Mike Green is another prospect that's come up a lot. So there's a couple of things I would say about with Mike Green. You know a lot of people. Is Mike Green actually edged two in this class? Obviously I'm dull Carter's edge one? Is Mike Green actually edged two in this class? The two things I had mentioned with Mike Green One, he is really a pass rush specialist, Like you are going to have to make him into a pure weak side pass rusher that is not expected to do really anything against the run. He's not a very good run defender in my mind, just because of his physical limitations. Like we talk about lack of arm length and stuff like that with Will Campbell, even though I would say that first step, explosiveness and bend are more important than arm length at edge. In order to like truly set the edge of a defense right, you have to be able to have some girth and some with to your body, and then obviously some length to your body as well.
Speaker 2: But that's a lot of the edge rushers in this class.
Speaker 1: Lot of speed guys.
Speaker 2: A lot of guys who are pass rushers and aren't going to do great against.
Speaker 1: So he's one of those guys. To me, if you're drafting somebody four overall, you need to make sure that player is a three down, all purpose player. I don't think you can draft a guy at four overall that's gonna end up turning into just a pass rusher. I don't think that that's good enough with that pick. There's also so I don't want to put it out there like an act, like it's too dramatic, but like he transferred from Virginia, there's some rumblings that maybe there was something that happened in that transfer, you know, in terms of him overstaying. He's welcome at Virginia. I don't know what the details are enough to have a judgment on that. I hate judging that part of the draft because I don't know these guys personally and I don't talk to them personally. But there are some things to vet there with his background in terms of that. Yeah, But most importantly to me, I'm just not dead convinced that Mike Green is a well rounded enough player to be taking him that high in the first round.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you, all right, does we can't go in the first round. It's not that high.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So this is from Aiden. He's asking for two trade candidates. Our opinions on two trade candidates, one being Michael Mayer from the Raiders, which is becoming a really popular take. They have Brock Bowers obviously as their number one tight end. Josh McDaniels drafted Michael Mayer, I believe in his year with the Raiders, I.
Speaker 2: Think sounds right mayor was.
Speaker 1: Yeah Sam laporta draft Yeah, so I'm pretty sure that's the case. If not, he played for Josh McDaniel.
Speaker 2: Or was he twenty three mc daniels was.
Speaker 1: There in Vegas. The other one is Trey Hendrickson at the Bengals, who are maybe paying t Higgins, maybe paying Jamar Chase, obviously already paying Joe Burrow. So someone there most likely is gonna have to be the Ottoman out. It could be Trey Hendrickson. I'm in on both of these players. Obviously very different price points, like in terms of what the compensation would be, but I think Michael Mayer would be a nice tight end too. I remember coming out. I actually I think Hunter Henry was my comp for Michael Mayor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think that that was the player. Mayor's a good blocker. I I wouldn't be against Michael Mayor. I think the idea of four to six from like moving down two spots and getting Michael Mayer. I think you should get more back in that trade, especially in this draft when they were good tight ends. He would need something else on top of that, But as a whole, I wouldn't mind Mayor. Hendrickson obviously should be a target if he's available. They need that pass rusher. He's a great fit. In Mike Rabel's defense, I think he's a great personality fit for the culture Mike Vrabel wants to bring. That being said, I'm not ruling out the Bengals keeping all of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Joe Burrow has been very public about wanting to keep everybody. Talking to people in Cincinnati, it sounds like he's been as forceful behind the scenes and putting the pressure on ownership. And if people say, oh, you know, they only have so much money to spend, well, if Burrow's willing to take a pay cut or just move it even just move his money around. The cap can be manipulated, as we know. I'm not ruling out them keeping all of those guys, but if Hendrickson's available, Patriots should be on it.
Speaker 1: Only like a little bit with Hendrickson is he is thirty and he you know, he's going to be going into his thirty one age thirty one season. I just do think that that matters for the Patriots in terms of windows and stuff like that. You could get Trey Hendrickson for this year and he would obviously give you a big boost for this year. But like as Trey Hendrickson really going to be around for when the Patriots are truly good again, like not just like flashing the pan, good again, like twenty twenty one Patriots, you know, make a playoff run because you know, you get a week schedule and I have decent quarterback play again in the defense, like I'm talking about contending, Yeah, consistently.
Speaker 2: He might be. I mean some of these edge rushers are starting to play like longer now. This is kind of a trend that's started to happen. These guys are still effective players, they're in their mid thirties. If he's here for another three years. Yeah, he could be there at the start of their true contention window.
Speaker 1: He reminds me a little bit of Judon just in terms of play style and all that kind of stuff. So I'm not anti Trey Henderson. I just I just wondered, you know, at thirty one years old. All right, Next question here from Andrew who says he's a long time listener, second time emailer. You usually hear first time emailer, but second time email he is a pretty long winded email. But I saw just narrow it down. Basically, he's asking what this coaching staff, the new Patriots coaching staff, like, what position do we feel that they will be best at developing on the roster based off of their coaching staff. You know, he mentioned Jeff Stallin in Philly with the Eagles, their offensive line coach, who is kind of like a Dante Scarneki type figure there in Philadelphia and is able to develop linemen. I would still say front seven guys like I really trust Rabel and Terrell Williams, Like, if they got a toolsy front seven player wherever it is in the draft, I really feel strongly that those two guys would develop that player into a really good player. You know, whether it's Abdul Carter, it's somebody you know on Day two of the draft that has some really flashy tools. I wouldn't necessarily say I would draft. You know, good example I think is like mikel Williams from Georgia, right, who is just a raw toolsy Trayvon Walker ish prospect that's just a ball of clay. I wouldn't necessarily do at the top of the draft just because of where the Patriots are, but just in general, I would feel pretty comfortable with drafting traits on the defensive line because I'd have pretty good confidence in Rabel and Terrell Williams to develop that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's defensive front too, that's where most of the experiences, you know, linebackers, line and all of that. I'd agree with that.
Speaker 1: Yep. So this email is from Ron and he says congratulations, and he says that he is so happy that Alex is going to the Combine this year, and so I can just now is a good time to say this Because of that, We're gonna do a live show from the Combine next week on Radio Row in the Indianapolis Convention Center. So Alex and I it sounds like it will be Wednesday afternoon. I don't think it's public gets. I won't get into all the scheduling details, but I do think we're gonna hear from Mike Rabel and Elliot Wolf next year, next year, next week in Indianapolis. So we're gonna do it later on in the afternoon just to make sure we've already heard from everybody and we can kind of react to it and all that good stuff. But a live radio Row show from the Combine, we've made it. There we go. I feel like this is like something that we've wanted to do for.
Speaker 2: A very long time time in the making.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely. So the other question that that Ron here has just about some of the Day two guys. He mentions Ursery, who he talked a little bit about.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's a Day two guy at this point.
Speaker 1: And Landon Jackson, who had a nice end of the week at the Singer Bowl, a big, you know, defensive end outside linebacker type. And eighty five.
Speaker 2: Now there's there's your edge center, there's your run stopper on the edge. That's he's kind of the opposite of a lot of these guys we've talked about where he's not quite there yet as a pass rusher. I think he's a three down player, but his pass rush room game has room to grow. His run game is what makes him so impressive at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he's a little bit too like Anthony Jennings in my mind, like you already had that player kind of yeah, see that.
Speaker 2: I mean, if they were going to stay in the old defense, I would say, is a replacement for Dietrich Wise if he's not back. Yeah, you know, you could have him put on ten pounds and play him hand down. But if they're going to be this, you know, quicker, smaller defense than he had, Jennings is in that role.
Speaker 1: So with er three, I mentioned you know already a little bit about Er three. I like Ersrie, I don't love Erstrie. I think the big thing with Ersrie to me is just that he's just gonna have those natural physical limitations of a six foot six, three hundred and fifty pound person, right, Like, he's just not a nimble mover. Uh he's maybe you could put him as nimble mover for his size, but we're not. Then we're putting that caveat on for his size, right. So he had some of those stiffness in his lowers and just like foot heaviness, you know, not exactly a light footed guy. But at the same time, you know, can't teach size, can't teach strength. Very good difference maker in the run game. I actually thought, you know, he had some like one or two ugly reps against Abdul Carter, But I thought he kind of competed in that game against Abdul Carter, which is probably his best tape. I would say to feature him as an NFL prospect. So I'm not anti Ursery. I just wonder, if you know, because of the lack of depth in this draft and all that stuff, like, does he end up going in like the twenties and now, yeah, we could talk about trade ups, but it gets complicated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it gets a little tougher.
Speaker 1: All right. Two more guys. This is from Christian from Virginia. One of my guys in this draft, Luther Burden, and he asks, how heavily do you weigh his last season struggles on Luther Burden And you know, just the twenty three tape versus the twenty fourth tape. This is a fair question. Obviously, Yes, I would say that Luther Burden including Travis Hunter would be wide receiver three. Not including Travis Hunter would be wide receiver two. You still have him behind tap right, Yeah, just strictly based off the film.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: Again, like I said, we're else we were talking about the Mike Green. Like I said, with Mike Green, I'm not in the interviews. I'm not a scout, so I don't. I hate judging like the mental tough hangs off the field.
Speaker 2: I just want to separate this though, because it's Mike Green. It's like it's been and I don't know what happened, but yeah, it's been. I think like character concern has been brought up with Luther Burden. It's basically just that. So when it comes twenty three, twenty four, Brady Cook, who I liked, just fell off. I don't know what happened. He was hurt for part of the year. But even before, like Brady Cook, who was kind of supposed to be that like Bridge day two quarterback guy had an atrociousye. I mean he was really bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't want to pick on the guy, but he was not good. Naturally, that's gonna impact the wide receivers and in certain games when it was going well for Luther Burden. Anybody who watched that BC game saw it. He got a little emotional inside of mine. It wasn't full on Odell Beckham boxing the field gold net, but he was clearly frustrated. And that's where the and you saw it in the body language two where he would kind of it. He appeared to like check out at times in games when it was just clear that they didn't have it. That's the question with Burden. It's not an off field thing. It's just will he stay engaged if he's not getting the ball and if the team struggling. I really like Burden too, just to kind of expand on this, So whether you think he's the best receiver or not, Like I'm going with the consensus on this one. Teed McMillan's gonna be the first wide receiver off the board. He's gonna go somewhere in the top ten. Right. What happens next at wide receiver is an unknown and that's what's interesting to me. So to me, there's a clear cut next level. And with Travis Hunter again is his own thing. Yeah, there's a clear cut next level after Tet it's meta Buka it's Matthew Golden, and it's Luther Burden, and all three of those guys I think are I have them rated similarly. They're all very different players stylistically, especially a BUCA, but they're all similar impact kind of guys. Who goes next? Where do they go? Because the idea of the Patriots trading back up in the back end of the first round, which I think is a possibility for a receiver, is attractive, but who is there? I don't think all three of those guys make it to the twenties. I think one of them certainly does. Do two of them absolutely, we're just talking raw talent. Burden's the best of the three. Yeah, But because he's not as consistent, because there are those questions about him in between plays, does he get down in the twenties. I'm not super worried about the moodiness. I'm really not. I think that's overblown.
Speaker 1: It's also wide receiver for you.
Speaker 2: Right, find a good wide receiver that's okay, not getting the football. If Burden gets down into the twenties, if they're gonna do the trade backup for a receiver thing, let's say they take Campbell or whoever at the top right, not Ted. So they take Campbell, they take Carter, they take Michael Williams, even if it's Tyler Warren honestly, and then they move back up into the twenties. Twenty four to me is the sweet spot because the Vikings have no picks in this draft. I think they five total. Like, if Luther Burn's there at twenty four, I'm sprinting up to get him. You can make an argument for a Buka and Golden two. I think they all fit, but I don't know lu Luther Burn's gonna get in the twenties. If he does, I think that's the best option for the Patriots in a trade back up.
Speaker 1: So I look at Luther Burden and think it's gonna go one of two ways.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 1: He's either gonna fly off the board yep, and he's gonna be gone by fifteen, right or something.
Speaker 2: That's probably about his ceiling, like twelve to fifty right.
Speaker 1: Or he's gonna be on the board forever because teams have crossed him off.
Speaker 2: So Adie Mitchell, Sure, yeah.
Speaker 1: Adie Mitchell or something like that, you know, And all of a sudden, he were starting day two and now.
Speaker 2: And then the Chiefs trade up and get him. He's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there's a world because of that that Luther Burden is available closer to where the Patriots are gonna pick at thirty eight. But if he is, then you have to weigh the question of, well can we manage a guy like this? You know everybody else is seeing some sort you know, he's taking a lot in about the character flags the reason though, in terms of the talent overall, though, like his season two years ago to me is good enough to prop him up as a top twenty player in the class in my mind, because it was such an early breakout year for him that if you look at the course of his story as that of this of the receiver position, usually when you break out as a true sophomore and you put on film that you're like a top first round pick, top talent, and a draft type of player. The next year, the junior season is kind of just buying time.
Speaker 2: Well, you know who my comp is for this and you hate it? Yeah it's Jordan Addison. Yeah, different players stylistically, and Jordan Addison transferred, But this is what happened with Jordan Aison. You're buying top bullet Pit. I think did he win the Bullet and a Coffee was a finalist? Yeah. In his sophomore year, transferred to USC and USC Wow, Lincoln RD, He's gonna even better. Didn't really work out there and suddenly people started saying, maybe he's not a first round pick. But it was no. If you go watch him at PIT, he is. It was just for whatever reason, didn't click. I think I know the reason with Luthor burn is because the rest of the offense didn't carry their share with the load. But it kind of reminds me of Jordan Addison, where you're gonna have to choose what do you believe in the two years ago tape or the last year tape. I'll believe in the two years ago tape. I'm perfectly fine doing that. With Luthor Burton.
Speaker 1: There's just a lot of freshman year is pretty good. There's just a lot of evidence of that of you know, the second year. You know, maybe it's a true freshman breakout or a true sophomore breakout. Drake may like Drake, you know, his big season was his true sophomore season. Then he took a little bit of a step back freshman or yeah, maybe it's retroan freshman and took a little bit behind hell for you a little step back. It's just young breakout player, three level separator, awesome with the football in his hands, explosive with the capital legue. Like, there's just a lot to love about the player. Yeah, if he checks out mentally, it will be a different thing. The other player that he mentioned. We'll get back to the phones here before you wrap it is Jack Sawyer. How to feel about Jack Sawyer?
Speaker 2: Know how I feel about Jack Sawer.
Speaker 1: I think Jack Sawyer is probably not a natural pass rusher in terms of like winning one on one. He's probably better like within the scheme, you know, stun simulated pressures like getting him free and things like that. Good solid enough run defender in terms of just base run defender. But as a pass rusher, I don't necessarily think he's gonna be like a difference making one on one edge rusher. But if you put him in a in stunts and twists and things like that up front, he can be effective on those and leader, you know, leader through.
Speaker 2: The brings the edge, high motor, physical player, tone setter, character guy, all of that. He can't lead your pass rush. But if you're let me put it to you this way. If they're two edge guys next year, or Josh Sweat and Jack Sawyer, how do you feel about that?
Speaker 1: Oh? Very good? Yeah, exactly, because I think Jack Sawyer is a perfect compliment. He's a perfect Robin, right, like if somebody else is drawing all the attention and he's just gonna be able to just you know, use picks and games and stuff like that and get after the quarterback and like harass people.
Speaker 2: Everybody wants to compare to Mike Vrabel because he's at Ohio State and Vrabel's here and it's the top of mind. Rob Ninkovic, not bad, Rob Nikovic. And you so now you and I mean you just have to go find your Chandler Jones or your Trey Flowers, like those are good players obviously. But again, if you get a guy like Josh Sweat, or you trade for guy like Trey Hendrickson and then you have Jack Sawyer on the other side, here you go, you're off and run.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Nicholas Nick asks about Mason Graham, who I've I've been on the record about being you know, uh lukewarm. I guess I would say is the best way.
Speaker 2: I want to be careful about this because I feel like, especially this time of year, we start to go down this road not thinking the player is a fit for the Patriots and not thinking he's a good player, or two different things. Yeah, I think Mason Graham's a very good player, and in an other world, or the Patriots win a couple more games this year, maybe we're talking about him as a much more realistic option at four with the other players we think are going to be on the board. He's he's not a bad pick, but I don't think he's the best pick they can make.
Speaker 1: So the question here though, I guess PFF gave him a really high run defense grade, which I frankly could care less about. But in the run defense grade, I guess he was really high. I've said in the past, which is true, that I think he's kind of, you know, an average run defender. I think, you know, with PFF, they they probably put a lot of weight into run stops and stuffs and things like that, which is all well and fair. When I watch Mason Graham on film, I think, in general, like he lacks a little bit of power below his waist, so he's not a great in taking on double teams. I don't think he's awful at it, but he's not great at taking on double teams. And he also has shorter arms and a shorter upper bodies kind of got just overall like a stocky, stout build.
Speaker 2: And so when you don't.
Speaker 1: Again like we were talking with edge rushers, like when you don't have that length to really extend and and separate from blocks in the run game, it becomes more difficult to do things like two gaping and stuff like that. So if you're expecting him to shoot gaps and slither around blocks and slip box and slide inside gaps and things like that, Like, if that's the type of defense you're gonna play, then he's a great player for that. If you're expecting him to be stout and just like stand guys up at the point of attack, I just don't think that he has that kind of body type.
Speaker 2: And I'll include this too, let's not forget. And I honestly I have to remind myself of this when I saw jeremiahs Mok the other day. Yeah, Michigan is another defensive tackle that's gonna go in the first round. Yeah, I watched him the other day.
Speaker 1: Kennth Grant.
Speaker 2: YEA is also a really good player. But Kenneth Grant was the run stopper in that group. So when teams are running, they're running at Mason Graham because the Kenneth Grant's like threered and forty pounds. He's a nose tackle, so he's getting most of the attention from offenses in the run game. They I wanted to run at Gram. I like Kenneth Grant. He's a good player. Does make sense for the Patriots. He's a good player.
Speaker 1: Uh. Dave says that he is happy that I've mentioned that Ashton Denty is a blue chip player in this draft even though he plays running back. And he thinks that that's very big of me.
Speaker 2: As as I'm impressed you've you fully and brak. You didn't you let me do my whole best player availables made up. You didn't belly ache about having to admit the running backs and the punters are good. It was good.
Speaker 1: Uh. This email the subject line is telling you to shut up. Yeah, okay, there you go. We get those something about what just that's it?
Speaker 2: That's the whole email? What time? What time was that email? Uh?
Speaker 1: Twelve thirty seven, just be quiet to stop.
Speaker 2: What I was saying about half an hour, and I remember, I don't think that was the best avail.
Speaker 1: I think that was later last week. It was you know, it would be me shut up next week.
Speaker 2: No, I know, I'm just I'm curious what set that off? Uh yep.
Speaker 1: This emailer says that they love hearing you interrupt me about pronunciations, which.
Speaker 2: I'm off that I can. Oh, maybe that's what it was.
Speaker 1: As we're in like a deep philosophical conversation and I say somebody's weird name, and then all of a sudden we have to derail from the conversation for you to correct me. What was it, Kevin Bayard? Apparently I said, really bothered you.
Speaker 2: A lot of emails.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to get to the best ones here, I know, Okay, this one just saying, you know, if Will Campbell, if I think that the patrons don't have a left guard on the roster, at least a good you know, a good left guard, Like why wouldn't you take Will Campbell? Anyways, I'm not that crazy. Like, positional value still matters a lot to me. I understand that you can make the argument that he's going to be like a Zach Martin Quentin Nelson level guard. I probably still wouldn't do it at that point, you know, I hate guards.
Speaker 2: Not A four. If you can get a Hault to trade down and he's still there at like ten eleven, twelve, i'd consider it. I'd have to see you else would be on board. I'm not taking him as a guard A four though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, a lot of scenarios. I don't know if I can read all these are tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's tough radio.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: That's more male bag question.
Speaker 1: So this question is not really draft related, but I do think it is. It's pertinent just about when does Drake May start getting with Josh McDaniels to start learning the playbook and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: And was Josh McDaniels higher too three weeks ago?
Speaker 1: Yeah, technically, technically I think it's it's the start of the off season program in April is like the technical time. But Drake May, I'm sure already has the playbook. He's talked about the library, you know, the Tom Brady library that Josh McDaniels has that you can go back and watch all of that. So I think he's already cooking and all those things Henry asks, And I think this is an interesting player I'm not sure about for the Patriots. But if we're considering Will Campbell, despite you know, his measurements and all that, why not memboo armand Membo, who I think is a really good player on film too, But maybe that ten to twenty ranges.
Speaker 2: Also, I mean he's only played right tackle.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: I guess if they were to sign whoever one of those Cam Robinson or Alaric Jackson, and you know, you're okay, now we're gonna draft Membu to play on the right side, and we're just gonna, you know, give up on Kane Wallace. Experiment like that could make sense. I could get into that, But I'm not drafting member to play left tackle.
Speaker 1: Yep. I agree with you. No, definitely not to play left tackle. No, that's and.
Speaker 2: I'm not drafting a right tackle in the first round when left tackles still a need and there's left tackles on the board. But if they have left tackle answered, you know, if they move down a little bit, yeah, as a right tackle, I could get on board with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh, it's another question. From Steven that I always find interesting. You know, a lot of people will say to me, well, it doesn't none of it actually matters until we get through free agency, like because we don't know, you know, right is gonna happen in free agency. I think there's some truth to that. But I also, for example, if you sign Alerc Jackson or Camra Robinson, you are saying that that's gonna be our left tackle, right, so you're probably not gonna now take the left tackle in the first round.
Speaker 2: But I wouldn't say that.
Speaker 1: It's like it's a big sway for me, Like I still think you're gonna target the best players at premium positions in the top of the draft. Maybe if you if you sign a tackle and free agency, you don't draft Will Campbell. But if you really love Will Campbell, like as much as I do, maybe a Jackson plays right. Maybe Will Campbell plays right. Like we just did this with the Chargers.
Speaker 2: How long do you and how long did you sign him for? Maybe Will Campbell's your left guard this year and the next three he goes out to tackle. I wouldn't love that, but I could see something like that. It's also like get this stage too This is more about just learning who the players are. I know we're getting into some scenarios and would you take this guy here in this and that, But we're just kind of learning who these guys are. And then yes, once for agency happens, then you really start to get in the nitty gritty of okay, like order of operations, where are you taking different guys? What would this first round pick mean for the second round. I know we're doing some of that right now because it's just a fun hypothetical, but like, take that all with a grain of salt. This stage is really just about learning who the options are, regardless of how they maybe fit.
Speaker 1: All right, last one and then we'll take these calls and then we'll wrap it up. Willie is telling us that we should just enjoy and appreciate the rest of the draft. I think early on in the show we were getting a little hot and bothered by some of the takes and the draft. I agree. The draft is my favorite time of the year. It is a difficult time of the year though for me. I'm not gonna lie because and I love it. I love all the interest in the draft. I love it. I love that all you guys show so much interest in the draft, and we obviously greatly appreciate the interest in the show, but to constantly be told that you were wrong about something is always a little bit tough, even for people like us that are somewhat used to it. So whenever we get into it on Twitter or on here or whatever, I do sometimes get I'm tired of answering for you making my.
Speaker 2: Eye, especially this time of year, because there's so many unknowns. Right, Will Campbell's arm length is a variable, like a very significant variable in this entire draft that we don't know about. The Travis Hunter position thing is a very significant variable in this draft that we don't know about. The quarterbacks essentially being wild cards. They could go top three, we might not see either of them go top twenty, right, Like, we don't know. So it'll clear up a little bit as we go. But it's kind of like my take, I don't know if you heard this couple weeks ago, my take on the Bruins on the Sports Look, if you feel strongly about the Bruins, you're probably wrong. Didn't say which way because I don't think it's it's relevant, Like there's such a huge I would say the same thing at this point. If you feel really strongly about the way this draft is going to go, you're probably wrong, And I don't care what that feeling is. There's so many unknowns at this point, So it's because we have to make so many assumptions. It is kind of tough. I wrote this in my mock draft I did two weeks ago. This is the toughest mock draft I've ever done. Yeah, from a Patriots point of view, and just from the from the players on the board. There's so many unknowns with the team in terms of what could happen in free agency, what's changing with these new coaches. We have unknowns elsewhere in the league, like the t Higgins thing. That and we know that now, but we didn't know a couple of weeks ago to the unknowns we have with some of these players. With guys like Will Campbell and Travis Hunter, there's so many assumptions you have to make. So trying to talk about the draft in that sense at this point is really hard because you're not necessarily gonna be on the same page as somebody else because you might be operating I'm operating off the assumption that Will Campbell's gonna come in at thirty three inches rounder with his arms, somebody else might be operating off the assumption that he's gonna come in under Well. We're obviously gonna have two very different viewpoints on the draft, as we should, but there's no way you can't debate how long his arms are there. There's gonna be a measurement and that's what it's gonna be. So don't get it doing wrong. We are very much enjoying it. But this is a really unique draft. It's a tough to talk about it. It's a hard draft to comprehend. This is like, I'm so glad our first year, like fully doing this was twenty one, right, Yeah, probably because yeah, twenty I was the pandemic. And anyway, I'm so glad this isn't the first draft we're doing because I would be thinking back to how I approached the draft then and the things I've learned the last three is I wish I had three more years under my belt to do this draft. This is not easy. This is not an easy year. It's gonna get easier once we get some of this information at the combine and then free agency. This is a really tough year. In terms of and we approach it a little differently. We were texting about this the other night. Yeah, my big approach. I'll tell you if I think players will be good or not. I'm trying to get, you know, what's the draft outlook going to look?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Where are these guys are gonna go? Whatever they become. After that, we'll see you're more into that second part, which is projecting the careers. The first part of it that like how the draft is gonna go. It's it's a really hard year for that.
Speaker 1: I think it's it's exceptionally hard year in general, because, like I keep on saying all show, there's not a lot separating some of these guys. So it's really a what do you value in players? What's your flavor? Like, what type of players.
Speaker 2: Do you like?
Speaker 1: What are do you think their needs are? And like where their biggest needs are. So I, personally, you know, think that left tackle is their biggest need. So obviously I'm going to pound the table for the best left tackle in the draft here. Other people might think that pass rush is their biggest need, or receivers their biggest need, or other people might think Will Campbell's a guard, so like you know, there's there's so much variable right now to your point of you know, we don't have enough information. Then on top of that, I just don't think there's a ton separating all the options. So like you can make the case for any of these options. Like it's not a Mason Graham's case is not bad, right, Like there's an actual tangible case, whereas in other years, like last year, for example, even though if people made the case for Marvin Harrison Junior, it was really quarter it was a quarterback, there was always a back, right, So like it's just this year is different. There's a bunch of different variables.
Speaker 2: There's a case for Ted McMillan. There's yeah, I mean there's cases for Carter and Hunter. Whether or not they'll be on the board is even that's not consensus at this point. There's still people talking about Carter Hunter is the pick, and maybe the quarterbacks do push one of them down, maybe they end up there, Like we don't know that that they're wrong.
Speaker 1: Okay, we gotta be quick, guys on the on the phones, but I don't want to leave you guys hanging. So Kendall is in North Carolina, it's up Kendall, Hey, good.
Speaker 5: Hey, if we will design Deris Slayton their free agency and also Travis Travis Hunter agreed to play receiver and we picked him at four. What is the best way to use them as a zoor? Thanks?
Speaker 1: Thanks Kendall. I would use Travis Hunter as a Z. I think his best usage is as a Z. I think his frame and like it just a lack of kind of play strength and mass that he has to his game. He might struggle a little bit against press corners as a true boundary X. That's not saying he couldn't do it. Like my con for him is DeVante Smith, who does play a little bit of X for Philadelphia at times, but is predominantly playing off the line with AJ Brown playing the X. So that's how I would look at Travis Hunter. And I think Darius Layton could play the X. He's a field stretcher, he's a vertical thread, he can go isolation. I think he could do those types of things. Sean and Ottawa, you're gonna wrap us up here, Sean, what's up?
Speaker 4: Hey, I'm gonna give you just a quick scenario here. So if Campbell's arms measuring at thirty two and seven eight love and you anticipate that Hunter and Carter.
Speaker 2: Off the board at four crime.
Speaker 4: Who would you make your number one pre agent priority? And who would you ideally take it for if you were the decision maker?
Speaker 1: Thanks for the calls. That is the scenario.
Speaker 2: This is you You really want to get people at each other's throats. That that's the one, that's the one that is going to be the most divisive. You're You're not gonna find two people with the same answer seven as uh thirty and eighths and Hunter and Carter off the board. This, this is this is the big one. Lights are bright.
Speaker 1: I'm still taking Campbell.
Speaker 2: I'm still taking Campbell.
Speaker 1: If you what I can and I get it. It's a game of inches, YadA, YadA, YadA. We're talking about an eighth of an inch man, Like if that's the difference between him being a really good you know, I hate to use red franchise, but franchise left tackle and not, then I think he's gonna have other issues that contribute to the not. It's not gonna be an eighth of an inch of an arm line.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna stick with what I said with the quarterbacks last year when people would call and be like, well, you know, quarterbacks bust and blah blah blah, And it's a risk. I'm not I'm not striking out, looking getting the bat off my shoulder. And if I strike and you know what, even if I strike out, he's still gonna be a damn good guard. And you've got to figure out tackle now. And that's unfortunate. And I've also said this to you, I think the threshold people are expecting from that fourth overall pick in this draft. It goes back to the quality of the draft. Like if if he's Nate Solder in dramatically different play styles. Yeah, but Nate soldiers here for what ten years? Twelve years?
Speaker 1: Wasn't that long, was it?
Speaker 2: But he all right, yeah, seven years and he was a solid starting left tackle. He didn't worry about him. He wasn't Joe Thomas. But nobody was really here being like, oh, they got to replace Nate Solder. They got an upgrade Nate Solder, and they had a good roster at the time. You could kind of pick and choose like that, Yeah, if Will Campbell's that, if you get eight to ten years of set it and forget it, left tackle play maybe he makes a Pro Bowl or two here or there. Yeah, there's somebody else you brought up as a camp in Ryan Ramchicks same thing.
Speaker 1: Like thirty three and like, I think it's thirty three and a half.
Speaker 2: I know some people hear that and they're like, that's not enough for the fourth overall pick in this draft. If that's who they get, I'm sleeping like a baby. I'm so okay with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a good point. Then you have to make the end this in this draft, and then.
Speaker 2: Who who's your top free agent priority? The other question, Josh.
Speaker 1: Swatson, Yeah, that would be.
Speaker 2: My joan Javon Hollins like one bee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but in this draft you have to realize that hitting a double might be what you get in this draft. You might not hit the homer in this one. This is not it. I don't know if it's built for that. And that could be true for Campbell, Graham, Tent, whoever. But all those guys I compare Tent to Drake London, like, good player, but not Randy Moss, right a player will Campbell to Ryan Ramchick, good player, but not Joe Thomas. Right, that's all these guys to me in this draft. All right, we've been over time here. We'll be back next week live from Indianapolis from Radio Row at the Combine. Looking forward to that. Alex and I will both be there in person, so be a lot of fun, and we'll take all your calls and emails, will react to Mike Rabel and Elliott Wolf and all the goings on in Indianapolis. So until then, signing off for Alex bart Evan Lazar, see you next time in Indianapolis.
Speaker 2: Thank you for downloading this podcast, Subscribe on Google Play, and everywhere else you listen.
Speaker 1: Like the show, please rate and review us.
Speaker 2: Listener comments and ratings help keep us high on the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us. Be sure to check Patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.