Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break? Yes?
Speaker 4: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Ready for a break? Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com were on with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought us, Nick Harris and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: It is Monday, December twenty third, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number ninety. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We are live from that s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star were presented by LGLG is the world's number one O lead TV brand for eleven years in counting See why at LG dot com Ford slash O lead EVO. It is Christmas Eve Eve, and we get to.
Speaker 4: Talk about why are you laughing? You never heard of call that?
Speaker 7: I've never heard of someone.
Speaker 4: Christmas Eve? We are we are We get to talk about a Cowboys win. That was That was a.
Speaker 3: Look anti climactic.
Speaker 6: Well it was a little anti climactic because I was I was maybe the only person that was still like Cowboys are still in it and the game I thought would be, Oh, of course they're going to win. That game ends up just falling apart. The Eagles had the game against Washington and they just found a way they refused to win, and uh so they gave up that game. So by the time the Cowboys started their game, they had already been eliminated. But we get to talk about a win Cowboys player, I think pretty well, uh in the twenty six to twenty fourth victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday Night Football. So start first going around the table, I want to hear from you guys, what you think was the story of the game.
Speaker 4: Nick, Let's start with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's still a lot to fight for.
Speaker 8: If you're looking at this team, there are twenty six guys on this on this roster that are heading into free agency whenever the season ends. And you look around at some of the big contributors yesterday and you'll see a lot of those twenty six names that popped up. You could look at Jordan Lewis having the interception and a season where he's had probably the best year of his career. I think he had his best game of the season last night, and he had that interception on Jayla McMillan and the end zone that was just incredible, rip the ball away from him. You can look at a Rico Daubto over the course of season has been great. Obviously last night was not. And then Cooper Rush the night that he had, specifically the first half that he had in being able to establish momentum for that offense. If you had told me coming into this game that the Cowboys would win with only thirty one rushing yards, I would have said you were crazy. So you got to give credits to Cooper Rush in that sense. But this team fights man and Ceedee Lamb, you know, going through this ac joint injury that he's been battling for the last eight weeks. We asked him in the locker room after like why why do you keep playing? He's like, I'm fighting for my brothers. I love this game that much I want to be out there with them. So you know, that is not the sign of a culture or a deeper conversation, not a sign of a coaching staff that is going to let this team lay over over the course of these next two weeks. Still a lot to play for with a lot of these guys with so much uncertainty ahead in the offseason, and they certainly showed that last night.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I wanted to start off. I think a lot of this game was about Cooper Rush. Yeah, because I honestly I was not too the thoughts about him having to deal with linebacker pressure, him dealing with secondary pressure, him dealing with potential pressure right in his face. Hacked the touchdown pass. You know, he had to tot her. I mean he right in his face. You know, he he had you know, he was defensive lineman right there in his face. B tove right in his face. And you know, I think that he managed this thing really really well. I was worried about him being a statue back there, and but you know, when he had to make the pressure throws, he was able to do it.
Speaker 3: I was glad to see him throw the ball down the field.
Speaker 9: You know, we were breaking down the Buccaneers. We were talking about where this ball needs to go. That these guys give you a little cush and they play a lot of single high and they're going to give you some opportunities.
Speaker 3: And they did that.
Speaker 9: Dallas did a great job with some of the route combinations to get the ball into the middle. Of the field to make some easy throws for Cooper Rush. But overall, you know, I mean the second half their offense was nothing, but he didn't do anything to mess that game up, you know, And I think that's exactly you needed.
Speaker 3: And be steady he was. He was. We're at pinpoint with where he needed to be with the ball.
Speaker 9: He had some really good reads and you know, I want to say this, I think he outplayed Baker Mayfield last night. And it's not very often that you could say that your backup quarterback is going to outplay a guy, a quarterback who is, you know, one of the more accurate quarterbacks in the league and his team is fighting for a division championship. So a tip of the captain Cooper Rush on that one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and some of his movements, I'm like, oh, okay, come on, go for Rush. I'm like, I knew I liked you at some point. No, but great job by him. Also a great job by Ceedee Lamb. Once again, I think he's made up for him missing training camp and that whole conversation when he was out holding out looking for that contract. The fact that he's playing the way that he is despite the injury that he's been suffering with along the whole season. Has been very, very impressive and kudous to him. But even though this is not the storyline, necessarily the biggest storyline of the game, I am wearing the T shirt over here. So I wanted to give mister Brandon you can't even say how mister Brandon Aubrey a huge, huge shout out, because man, again, I feel like we apologize about something every week. This week, I'll bring it back again that apology from us wondering what's gonna happen with the kicker position when we were about to get hit in the face with balls at training camp and it was a whole mess. And while he keeps impressing everybody, breaking wreckers, I think he has what fourteen field goals fifty plus yard field goals of the NFL record in a season and there's still two games left and he's just he was great last night. He was perfect, he was amazing, and just wanted to give him a shout out.
Speaker 4: I will say he has the playoff for me.
Speaker 2: There you go, there you go.
Speaker 8: I will say he is in like a Barry Bonds Mark McGuire race with Kyami Fairburn because Kyamie Fairburn has Thirteen's like it's going to be like back and back and for the way, like they're just going to keep breaking each other's record until one of them finally just etches it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think one of the big keys will be what we saw last night, that team still fought even though obviously they were eliminated before the game. My question will be, and what I'll be looking at is how do we see that same fight these next two weeks, because now that you know you're eliminated, what does the preparation look like, because that's where sometimes he can get in people's heads.
Speaker 4: Once on Christmas it's over, Yeah, and it's just like I don't have to watch this much film. Yeah, I don't necessarily I forget this.
Speaker 3: Where're starting to make to get out of the town.
Speaker 4: It changed a little bit.
Speaker 6: And again, everything we've seen from them up until this point, they don't give up, like they keep fighting.
Speaker 4: This coach has kept them engaged. Uh, this will be.
Speaker 6: I think the hardest part for the coach to keep them engaged during these next two weeks because it's just natural everybody in the country, it's natural you kind of let down a little bit. When you get to this part of the year because it's it's the holidays, and especially if there are no games that really are going to matter for the postseason. Obviously I wonder how that works. But everything I've seen so far, I give a lot of credit to coach McCarthy and this coaching staff because despite everything that's happened in season, and how much they could have just let everything go in the tank, they did not.
Speaker 4: They kept playing hard.
Speaker 7: It's an interesting point you make there because even though they found out they were already eliminated before playing the game, the preparation of the race was there, it was done. They took care of it. They were heading into that game as if they were still in the run or there was still a chance. So you saw the reflection of that. Now it's gonna be interesting watching what happens is in this next two weeks. But like you said, everything we've seen so far is that they're not giving up and they're gonna keep going out there and again, when you loose, when it comes down to the game, they're gonna show up and play hard because physically that's how you get through the game and you it avoids you from potential injuries that could occur, but it'll be interesting to see you. As far as preparation throughout the weeks.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think they're playing hard for each other. You know, McCarthy and the coaches. You can absolutely tip your cap to him. Nobody on short weeks gets his team ready more than this guy. I'll give him credit for that. Nick mentioned it in his open statement though, twenty seven guys, twenty seven guys, you're trying to put good film out there. Guys like Jordan Lewis, Guys like OsO Diggi Zua, guys like Chauncey Golston. You know, they've got some guys that really aren't established as well. You know, you look at brock Hoffman making nine hundred and twenty seven dollars, not established as a as a right guard, not established really as a player, really first time opportunity playing.
Speaker 3: At a very high level.
Speaker 9: If you look at the value over how that kind of translates, he's like a sixteen million dollar player playing guard for you right now. So they're getting a lot of guys that are stepping up way beyond what their pay is, and I think that's impressive. I think that they're like I say, if this was a team like say the New York Jets or another team that's a veteran team, this thing amount have gone south a lot faster. You know, we're seeing some teams that are just older veteran teams that are like they don't see they see.
Speaker 3: The light at the end of the tunnel.
Speaker 9: Its the oncoming train, you know, and they're trying to get out of the season. Nobody's trying to get hurt. But there's you know, the coaches are coaching for their jobs, the players are playing for new contracts.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 9: It's it's it's a recipe for to continue to try and do things the right way instead of throwing in the towel and letting the think.
Speaker 3: Fall completely heart.
Speaker 9: If I give credit to one more player that I don't think we mentioned, Nick Vigil played his ass off last night for you. And Nick's usually the guy who never practices because he's got Nick tells you he's got a foot injury. Every week he tells you he's not going to practice foot injury. He's out playing. Last night, his ten tackles you were worried about. You were worried about, where were the tackles going to come from, and especially against a team that physically runs the football. You know, Kendrick's last minute scratch. Basically, Nick Vigil having a step in probably didn't get a whole hell of a lot of work.
Speaker 3: Great job by.
Speaker 9: Him doing what he needed to do to get that done for the defense last night.
Speaker 4: Yep, all right, let's take our first break.
Speaker 6: When we come back, we'll dive deeper into some of these conversations. We'll talk about the offense and we'll talk about First up, we'll be Cooper Rush and his night last night. We'll talk about it. And when we come back, this is Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast reliable, secure.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 12: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 2: Don't put off.
Speaker 5: Getting your oil change Dallas. Take five oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out. If you're you can take advantage of take fives. Stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area, and remember at take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five, the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys from the field to the festivities.
Speaker 13: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stay in tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Starn Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 14: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramping cold. That's where Yetti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gears now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com. Check it out today Yetti official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys Back.
Speaker 4: To the Break.
Speaker 7: Lg oh led Evo is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital Trends said that l g O led G four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o ledevo For Christmas, Derek, are you getting those LG chrishones.
Speaker 3: If you can get the worked under the budget, Man.
Speaker 4: You are professional. I just took your You just did it without the paper. You don't need that.
Speaker 7: You know, you start playing well at the end.
Speaker 2: The playoffs, the scheme now.
Speaker 3: And knows you didn't have to get on another plane.
Speaker 6: After the Philadelphia game, don't even bring not just that game was so they just everything about it that the Eagles were just so far advanced, Like it's like, how are they?
Speaker 4: How did they not win that game?
Speaker 3: It just they reverted back to some of their old ways of playing defense.
Speaker 6: I mean, I know they lost some guys so that that certainly didn't help.
Speaker 8: But man, your head coach, you were always.
Speaker 3: Always in the game, always.
Speaker 2: In the game of ni in the game.
Speaker 6: Okay, anyway, anyway, the man I would have been on this show today, like there's a chance, there's a chance.
Speaker 9: They're breathing Cincinnati game and you can there's so many games you wish There's so many games you wish had back. He wish he could be playing New Orleans this week. Yeah, I mean just playing Atlanta this week. I mean, I know Atlanta, I mean, how about Atlanta?
Speaker 3: Quick? How about Michael Pennick? Though? How about that? Your your division is on the line, and you've now gone to the rookie quarterback.
Speaker 9: Yeah, to go win the same Michael Pennick though one at Indiana, won at Washington.
Speaker 3: He's been a winner.
Speaker 4: He played his butt off. Yes, yeah, that was a good game for him.
Speaker 3: Good game to play against the Giants though.
Speaker 4: No doubt to get you started.
Speaker 3: But yeah, but it got you.
Speaker 9: It got you momentum you needed to maybe close this thing out and win the South.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt. All right, let's let's talk about Cooper Rush.
Speaker 6: Yesterday, he was twenty six thirty five seventy four percent completion rate, two hundred and ninety two yards in the air, one touchdown, zero interceptions, a one oh eight point three passer rating. Here's what I what I also noticed as I was looking at some of the advanced stats on the game, he actually only faced pressure on seventy five percent.
Speaker 4: Of his dropbacks.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 6: And on those drop backs he was twenty three of twenty seven for twohundred and sixty eight yards. On the ones where he faced pressure twenty five percent of them, he was only three of eight for twenty four.
Speaker 4: Yards with an eighty five passer rating.
Speaker 6: Do you think a lot of what we saw yesterday from Cooper Rush, which I think may have been his best game this year as a starter, do you think a lot of that was about the fact that they could, in a stat or the Buccaneers could not consistently get pressure on him, and when he's not pressured, he can tear you apart.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think that's fair. I think it's also a combination of him just being more comfortable. As a season goes on, we're starting to see what reps could do for him. Because even on the Jalen Tolbert touchdown, specifically third down play, Vidavea absolutely blows up Brockaffman. Bro Kaffman had a tough day yesterday, but Vidavea blows up brock Kaffman and get and Cooper Rush knows he's going to take a hit, he stands in and puts a perfect ball over the middle of the Jaalen Tolber, who hauls it in for the touchdown.
Speaker 2: I think it's just that type of comfortability.
Speaker 8: I don't think we saw in the first two or three games that that he had whenever he came in a start of this year. He had said last week after the Carolina game that he feels like he's playing the best football of his career right now.
Speaker 2: And I understand why.
Speaker 8: He sees that, why he believes that he's starting to stack really good reps and it's starting to pay dividends for this offense. I think also some credit has to be given to the play caller as well. Coming out and just establishing confidence for Cooper Rush in this game, I think was really important. You understood that you had you were most likely going to have a running game that cannot get going against a really good defensive front, against a really good second level in Tampa Bay. It's like, Okay, I need Cooper Rush to help me win this game. Let me build confidence for him. Let me take the ball on the coin toss let's let's receive, let's build confidence for Cooper. They come out on that first possession, they run a bunch formations the whole time, quick past the entire time, six for six, twenty one yards on that opening drive, and just quick, quick, quick, quick action. Get his brain moving quick, get those completions out in front. Even if it did end in only three points, it ended in points and an established confidence for this offense. I think it did wonders for this offense as the game went on. And when Cooper Rush is confident, I think he plays it his best.
Speaker 3: He's a Heisman Trophy killer, isn't he.
Speaker 2: Yeah look for that, Yeah, four of them.
Speaker 3: He's taking down these Heisman Trophy winners. So I love that. I'll tell you what.
Speaker 9: Both these quarterbacks played really well against man coverage, though, and you watch the game and stuff like that. I mean it was like a Baker Mayfield was just looking at his numbers. He was eleven of twelve for a buck thirty nine and Cooper was five or six for sixty three. You know, against man coverage, and you know both guys. Cooper was a little bit better against the zone coverage stuff that sin say that Tampa bay was thrown at him.
Speaker 3: I'll say this if you want to.
Speaker 9: You know, I was critical of Tolbert the route he ran on the touchdown. I mean, give Cooper Rush a lot of credit because you're going to watch the tape and you're going to see Cooper Rush drop back and he holds the ball. They're going to try and run that thing across. They're going to try and run Tolbert inside along the goal line and see if they can hit him in the.
Speaker 3: Middle of the field.
Speaker 9: But what happens is David the linebacker, cuts him off, and so now he has to adjust the route to go north. And so Cooper Rush realized what was about to happen, and he just allowed Tolbert to clear and then got him the football. David fell down in the route, So that was a really good read by Tober to get north, and then Cooper rushed to standing there knowing that a three hundred and fifty pounds man was about the delivereral blow on him. So good for good for both those guys getting it done.
Speaker 7: You know, I'm having a hard time trying to not allow myself mentally to get fooled by what's happening at the end of the season, keeping in mind the opponents that they faced this a few weeks, Yes, and they've been competitive. And what you've seen on the offense, you have to give credit to Mike McCarthy and the way he has adjusted the play calling and helping position his players in a better position with the calls. And also, like Nick mentioned, I mean Cooper Rushia. Obviously you expect anybody to come in and get better as the weeks go by, so you can see him be more comfortable and more confident. But when I said me not getting fooled by what's happening at the end of the season, it's like I've been very set on why I mean, Mike McCarthy back as the head coach, but not as the play caller. And even though I like what he has done this past couple of weeks, I'm trying to, Hey, remember what what happened throughout.
Speaker 2: The Remember the whole season.
Speaker 7: It's and the knives that went through my heart every loss. So it's going to be interesting what's going to happen, you know, with his contract and what the Cowboys decided to do with.
Speaker 3: Him extending Yeah, going to extending, Yeah, run this thing.
Speaker 2: Back you're extending Mike Zimmer as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they're they're the package.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the package.
Speaker 9: It's like I think the people, I think, the people that want Mike McCarthy back to appreciate Mike McCarthy, are probably going to get their wish. Never seen the general manager more giddy about a seven and eight team than he is right now. He is him and Mike McCarthy, and you know what, the folks like me that that want to move on from him, you know what, we're probably not going to get our wish here, and this is you know that ed happens. But this general manager, obviously him Stephen Jones, feel very comfortable. Will McClay feel very comfortable with him. They're excited about the way the team is playing. I think he has a hand of it. I also think, as I mentioned, the players have a hand in it, trying to get good tape out there in case they move on. So never seen the general manager this happy about a coach, and so to me go ahead and extend and make everybody happy, get on the phone called don Yee right now and get this thing done.
Speaker 8: I think part of the conversation that has to be had specifically on the offensive side of the ball as it pertains to McCarthy as a play caller, as the head coach all of those things. Is you have Dak Prescott for four more years, and looking at his age, you would have to assume that it might only be four more years. Are you willing to risk This is just the question they have to ask themselves. Are they willing to risk signing him to a to three year extension and if it doesn't work out, changing coordinators with only about a year or two left and down now. I think that's that's something that they really have to think about when it comes around.
Speaker 3: I don't think they have. I don't think they have. You think they have what I don't think they have.
Speaker 9: I think they've made a decision on Mike McCarthy. I do, Yeah, I do. I think they're I think they're totally comfortable with Mike McCarthy. You know, I'd love to I'd love to hear them this week talk about you know, hey, we're going to extend Mike McCarthy. We're working on an extension right now.
Speaker 7: Are you kidding him? As a boy caller?
Speaker 3: Sure? Sure? Keeping everything the same.
Speaker 7: M you like pain?
Speaker 2: I I don't know if I I don't.
Speaker 8: I don't know if they've made the decision, though I think that Jerry was pressed about it a little bit loud.
Speaker 3: I think they have. I think they're really I don't think that.
Speaker 9: I don't think you would if you were not tremendously happy with the direction this thing has been going, you wouldn't have the reactions that he's been having, and we've had. We've had Jerry Jones Stephen Jones on our station four times a week, all four you know, four times a week, and every single time nothing but positivity. And some point you say, yes, you have to be positive, or you just say no comment about that, you know. But I I the way that the way that they're acting right now, I think they've got their guy in mind.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't know if they have their their mind made up or not. What I will say is being positive. They're being being overly powered. Positive for Jerry is normal like that You're we're acting like that's not normal for Jerry. Jerry is extremely optimistic, and Jerry is extremely That's why I always That's why I But my point is, even when the decision ends up being something different, Jerry tends to be publicly very positive, like he tends to be a very positive, sure person when it comes to how he portrays the team to the general public.
Speaker 4: So I don't know if that means.
Speaker 6: I don't know if I'm taking any clues from that that he's made a decision one way or the other. I think this is typical Jerry, that Jerry's gonna always be optimistic, and when he sees something that gives him even more reason to be optimistic, he's gonna be even more optimistic.
Speaker 4: Like that's just how he is.
Speaker 6: I don't know that that necessarily means anything to me about what the decision will be.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I respect, we disagree, and I disagree in a way because I feel like to me that they are totally comfortable with Mike McCarthy as their head coach.
Speaker 3: They are totally comfortable with him as that.
Speaker 4: And that may be the case.
Speaker 6: All I'm saying is I don't think that that how Jerry is portraying the team and his happiness for the for the fact that they're playing well the last five weeks. Sure, I don't think that that's necessarily the indicator. I just think that's who Jerry is Jerry. We always always talk about Jerry being so optimistic. He's extremely optimistic when it comes to how he portrays the team.
Speaker 9: How hard would it be for him to walk away from Mike McCarthy if in fact that that the way that they're they're playing right now.
Speaker 6: To be honest with I do I do think that if you would have gone back, if you.
Speaker 4: Say where was Jerry six weeks ago to where he is now, then I agree with you.
Speaker 6: I think he's probably more in a boat right now where it's like, man, it's it's hard to let him go when I've seen the last.
Speaker 3: I don't think he wants to go through another interview process myself. I just don't.
Speaker 4: Again, I don't know that.
Speaker 7: We don't know McCarthy wanting to come back. That's another thing like we don't. We don't know because again, he.
Speaker 9: Was really disappointed before in pregame you listened to Brad shamp ask him.
Speaker 3: Questions, Yeah, he was, he was totally he was totally.
Speaker 9: Uh, just in the tank about not being in the playoffs, you know, and so you know, to me, I mean I think that a guy that if he didn't want to be here, I don't think he would be that way.
Speaker 3: I don't think he would feel that way.
Speaker 7: The only reason I bring that up. And I'm not gonna bring a bunch of stuff on the air about this, but we have heard little things in inner. I'm trying to keep my job. No, I'm just kidding. No, I am keeping my job. But my point is when you listen through to interviews throughout the season from my McCarthy, there have been times where he gives that an answer. What it makes you wonder or think more when whenever he maybe about the running backs and the running game or what was happening in the game. So you hear his frustration and it leads me to think, Okay, is he actually happy here? Not to say that he's not, because he's been here and he's committed to the team, and you've seen that, and you saw that specifically in that interview that you mentioned, Brian, but it makes me wonder, is he wanting to go through all of this in this scene where it's the Dallas Cowboys and we're in the start And sometimes when you watch the frustration and just the toll that it takes on you emotionally having to deal with the amount of pressure here, it just makes me wonder is he wanting to do that again and stay here in Dallas. Well, I don't know, we'll see.
Speaker 6: The reality is he has just as much say in this as the organization does because he is a free agent essentially after the.
Speaker 4: Season is over.
Speaker 6: So if he chooses to leave, he has every right and ability to be able to leave. So it is a two way thing here. This is not just the Cowboys's eye whether.
Speaker 9: Sees how that signed players, he's going to get He's gonna be the highest paid coach in the league.
Speaker 3: I'm saying that, kidding.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the perspective.
Speaker 6: That on air, right, because people that are just listening, if you if you, if you wait and if you wait around here, you get your extension.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get nick saving money.
Speaker 8: I'd be curious to know from Jerry's perspective, if his mind was made up, why not.
Speaker 2: Just come out and say it last night after the game?
Speaker 3: Oh I think you know what that That's what I've been asking. Yeah, I mean I've been asking the same thing.
Speaker 9: As happy as they are about this guy, as happy as in giddy as he appears to be, and talking about him in such a glowing and my gosh, you're playing hard for him, and they're doing this and doing that. That's what I'm saying, Go go extend him now. I don't need I don't need you to tell me that they're you know that, they're just go do it.
Speaker 3: Go get the extension done this week and and and or put it all the rest.
Speaker 9: Maybe he will, Maybe he'll come on our shows this week and say, you know what, I've made it this decision. We're gonna bring Mike back, and I'm working on a contract extension with Don Ye right now.
Speaker 8: I doubt McCarthy would want to do that with two weeks left, Just knowing how he's been communicating about this process the whole time, I doubt he would even open that conversation till the season's over. I'm just kind of thinking and thinking out loud here.
Speaker 4: Let's take our final break. We'll come back.
Speaker 6: We got more talk about from this Cowboys versus Tampa Bay game. We'll be back, Kylascowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 15: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than an.
Speaker 4: Lg O lead Evo TV.
Speaker 15: That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit, I mean you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 4: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 15: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels, no one comes close. LG o led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leedevo.
Speaker 16: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United agin Turf offers a winning lineup John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit Unitedagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 8: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors.
Speaker 2: Together, you're one of a kind.
Speaker 8: Fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet. Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 2: The wins will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing, and we're going to overtime.
Speaker 4: Erica how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 17: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial Assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses may very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality asurance, message in data RAS and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast reliable, Secure five.
Speaker 11: G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 4: Back to the break.
Speaker 7: AT and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 4: Welcome back.
Speaker 6: We are in the final segment of the break Live from the SWBC Mortgage studios at the Star talking about the Cowboys versus Buccaneers. Cowboys get to win twenty six twenty four. This segment's brought to you about blockchain dot com. All right, so let's talk about the running game. The running game had really been kind of the backbone of this offense for the last couple weeks, really few weeks, and then yesterday it just was not there.
Speaker 4: Ric o'daldle was.
Speaker 6: Thirty, had thirteen carries for twenty three yards of one point eight average check out some of these advanced metrics. He was fifty four percent against the stack They ran fifty four percent of the time against a stack box, so he was facing it up.
Speaker 4: Bill Battle.
Speaker 9: It's some one of the worst teams in the league when it comes to run against stack boxes, and the Buccaneers play at more than anybody.
Speaker 8: Cooper rushed that yes, right too. So just backing up your your great scouting on last last week, I was like, oh, Brian brought it said that last week.
Speaker 2: He must have been watching the break.
Speaker 6: So here's my question, though, do you think that the stack box and what they were doing there actually opened up the passing game more? And that's why you saw such great production by the passing game in Cooper rush.
Speaker 8: You saw more one on ones yesterday was I think you've seen all season? So yeah, I think that's that's certainly the case. And dealing with a backup safety on the back end with Antoine Winfield out, there were advantages that could be taken here. I again respect to the play caller, there was a couple instances where they were able to just isolate guys and have speed against non speed. And for example, the play that comes to mind is you think back to last week when they had those two Cavante Turpin carries for twenty seven yards in Carolina and just lining him up in the backfield, handing it to him like a straight up running back. They line him up in the backfield for the first time last night and they go play action to him. Cooper rolls to his left and Brandon Cooks and one on one with a guy is just blowing by his coverage. It's the longest reception Brandon Cooks had all year for twenty nine yards. I believe that was in the first quarter. Set up that first touchdown pass, and I think with those stacked boxes it certainly helped a lot with his passing game.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think to me when you when you watch it, and Mike did a nice job.
Speaker 3: You're talking about set it up.
Speaker 9: He gets a twelve yard run with They get the thing blocked on the backside really well. Smith does a great job of cutting off his guy and then they.
Speaker 3: Kind of get Vida Veya.
Speaker 9: Secured and you know, next thing you know, Turpen's to the hole, through the hole, makes a guy miss, and now you're got a twelve yard gain. They come back in the very same formation like Nick's talking about they go heavy play action right off it and it and the play. The fact that they'd ran a play for twelve yards the previous brought all the linebackers up and brought the safety up off and that that's exactly where Cooks went. So safety comes up. Cooks runs by a ball right there. You know, Cooper did a nice job but kind of sliding to his left and making sure that ball got out.
Speaker 3: But just the threat of.
Speaker 9: That brought the brought the the Buccaneer defense up and then created some space for them to work with. But it was going to be tough to run the ball against these guys. I mean it was you know, they like say Dallas just does not run well against the stack box three point four yards of carry. I mean, even with Rico Daddle, he's one of the been one of the most successful running backs in the league when it comes to you know, with the positive carries or you know, gains of four plus yards of carry successful carries, and yesterday he you know, you just look at the you look at the metrics and with guys on and off the field for the Buccaneers, their defense, I mean one point six one point six one point six, one point five, zero point nine, you know, two point one.
Speaker 3: I mean that's nothing.
Speaker 9: That's nothing when it comes to yards to carry with those defenders on the field, and then you flip it on the other way, you know, Dallas said some guys on the field it was about almost six yards of carry and some of those instances. But you know that it was the passing game is what got it done because you were able to handle the linebacker pressure and you and you didn't get you didn't get hurt by any stuff that they usually do from the secondary.
Speaker 3: Cooper Rush did a great job of getting the ball out for that.
Speaker 8: I'll tell you what you talking about the rush defense for the Cowboys. Complimentary football helped this defense out more than any other game in the season because have you not been playing from ahead the entire game, that running game would have caught up and it would have beat you down before the end of the game. So I complimentary football really worked for the defensive side this time. I think that's the first time we could say that this year unless I'm forgetting a game where it was more evident.
Speaker 7: Well, I was just gonna say that's where it comes down to, because you look at all the stats. I mean, the Bucks they beat you in every stat just by a little bit more time, possession, the yards, and when it comes down to it, the only place that the Cowboys beat them at was in turnovers with the defense and what they were able to do. And it just goes to show once again that when you are able to turn if you win the turnover battle, more often than not, you're winning that game. And the defense once again showed up. They made so so many plays. And I know we were talking about the offense here, but again, if the defense wasn't playing the way that they are, I don't think this offense can get it done by itself. But you still saw improvement and in a game where there was the lack of the running game, you finally saw some efficiency in the passing game. Now, the secondary is not great. It's not the best second and I'm talking about the Buccaneers. Their secondary is not the best in the league or anything, but they were able to take advantage of that. And we go back to talking about Cooper Rush and him feeling more comfortable and being more in connection with the receivers and Brian you mentioned earlier Tolbert, a guy that disappeared the whole season, and then all of a sudden, now he's starting to show up again, making two key plays back back to back weeks. So I think it comes down to just practicing more time together.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's actually dive a little deeper into that run defense yesterday. That that was I agree with you, Nick, I think there's without the fact that they had they were playing with the lead for so much of the game. I think that could have been a real turning point for this game. I think that kind of been the difference in this game. The one thing I noticed in some of the advanced metrics was that they got the majority of their success running inside left.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: What did you guys.
Speaker 6: See from the run defense specifically that you think was most problematic for Dallas.
Speaker 8: It's too early for me to comment on that specifically. I haven't been able to go back and see what work in the trenches are.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think to me, what, you know, the one thing that that early in the game, you get Mossy playing pretty well and Linville Lynville Joseph, I mean, they the Buccaneers, They've got their backs all finished going forward too. That's that you know, And you really don't have to get a lot of their black I mean, the Buccaneers are.
Speaker 3: Good about getting a little bit of a guy and then the ball is to in past.
Speaker 9: I mean that's where it's not like they're hard to Bucky Irving. It's hard to bring down in the open field or you know, in space. But that when you look at the way that they're able to run the ball, it was they got push on the tackle, you know, Nick Vigel and those guys were having to fight some blocks.
Speaker 3: Maritly if out fighting blocks.
Speaker 9: You know, it got it got to the point where they were able to get you know, they were winning. They were playing on your side of the line of scrimmage, and that's where I think that they took advantage on some of these runs. It was contact past your point of the line of scrimmage and then they were and then everybody tried to rally to to kind of slow some things down. But I thought it was gonna be a lot worse, to be honest with you, the way I thought that they were just going to commit with it. But you talk about the complimentary football and the way that they were able to to play. They were able to play, you know, together on that and force Baker Mayfield. I mean, you know, playing they did a great job of rushing the past especially did a great job. Mike did a really great job of timing up his his secondary blitzes because you look at Donovan Wilson getting home a couple of times free, you look at George Lewis getting home.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 9: I think they had four rushes during the game. I think three by Wilson, won by by Jordan Lewis. Three of those all turned into pressures and hits and stuff like that. So and and I think one of the one of them up in a sack. Wilson had a sack, so that there was some really timely Butson. But I think to answer your question, Derek, Tampa Bay does a great job of playing on your side of the line of scrimmage, and I think they created some some opportunities doing that off off your right side of the defense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, talk about complimentary football. The fact that they were making Tampa play down two scores for a good part of the game. That allowed Dallas defense to do what they do best, which is pressure the passer. They got pressure on thirty four percent of the dropbacks, seventeen pressures, four sacks yesterday some of the guys that really stood out there, and Micah of course had six pressures and a sack. Marris Lefile had five pressures, Olso had four pressures, Nieland had three pressures, Chauncey Golson had two pressures in a sack. Talk about what you saw from the from the pass rush particularly and how they were able to get there. Obviously understanding the blitz, but just in the base back at some of the guys that they were able to get get home or at least get get pressure on Baker Mayfield.
Speaker 8: It's just a unit that is understanding what they have to do now here on the back end of the season. There was a lot of dialogue in the beginning of the year about guys not necessarily understanding their assignments, what pass rush lanes, things of that nature. Michael Parson's talking about guys trying to be heroes, this, that, and the third. I think everyone understands what they're doing now and it's allowing Mike Zimmer to send guys like Donovan Wilson and Jordan Lewis here on the back end of the season. On situational blitzing, Mari Sleafel as well. I mean, Donovan Wilson has gotten in the sack category in three of the last four games. That does not happen if that front is not playing a schematically sound and they're and they're making the right assignments, are doing what they have to do.
Speaker 2: You know, Michael Parsons has talked about it.
Speaker 8: He's like, hey, I've had to embrace on some snaps just being the guy that takes takes on more and allows others to get home on the quarterback. And I think we're starting to see that trickle down throughout the entire defensive line. And I think that's what really worked in this game too. Everyone's just schematically sound right now, because you go back to the Detroit game specifically, when this defense was in a very similar situation, not having Eric Hendricks having to figure out what to do on that second level, you saw that defensive front being out of sorts affect you more than any other game in the year. It happens again, what are we ten weeks later, I don't know, something like that, and you don't have Eric Kendricks in that second level, but the defensive front is helping them out so much more and it's trickle down effect, and vigil is able to have a great game on the back end as well. Yeah, talking about the password's perspective, specifically, this defensive front is just playing well.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Marshawn kneeling, Carl Lawson, Yeah, those aren't on your being go cards?
Speaker 3: Are they?
Speaker 9: Talking about guys that you know? I mean, Carl Lawson has done a nice job for you. You talk about the guys that are making no money, and then all of a sudden his value is more like a fifteen to sixteen million dollar.
Speaker 3: Rusher the way that he plays.
Speaker 9: But yeah, them, and and and and Neelan have done.
Speaker 3: A really really nice job of com Golston.
Speaker 9: I mean they they they've figured out this, the twist, stunts, the blitz is the movements. Uh, they've they all work together well with each other. You mentioned about uh Parsons taking on blocks. Yeah, I mean he's he's I mean, guys, he's getting double teams.
Speaker 3: It's freeing up other guys. Mike's calling a pretty good game.
Speaker 9: They're getting these teams to have to drop back and pass and and all of a sudden, you've got guys that Jimly can rush. It's not just Michaeh Parsons. Oh so Diggy's you got some guys like him, and mentioned Neil and Goldston Lawson. They've done it, Lynnville, Joseph hell who had him for a sack yesterday laying down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well yeah it was yeah, but they.
Speaker 9: They they really they bullied that Tampa front on a lot of those pass rushes and able to get home that way.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think now comes the big test for this offense and this defense, because the next two games you're gonna have teams that I think are better than the teams you've played the last two or three weeks, and we're really gonna see what they can do, especial in situations with those teams are a bit more desperate Phillies trying to win the division, Phillies trying to stay in hunt for maybe a first round by and.
Speaker 4: That number one seed.
Speaker 6: That's gonna be tough at this point with that lost yesterday, but there's still got something they're playing for. Washington IVY is still playing to get into the playoffs. So you're gonna have some real challenges here these next two weeks, and we'll figure out just how much this Dallas team is resilient and wants to keep playing in these situations.
Speaker 7: I was gonna say, well, we're playing for our jobs here, and there we go. We got something that we're playing for too, for our jobs.
Speaker 8: We we're gonna have a conversation in the offseason on one of these offseason shows about you know, what they will have to do in free agency, what they can do in free agency. These next two games are going to determine a lot about what that conversation looks like, especially when you look at guys like Golseno Digize Will All right.
Speaker 4: We're gon. We appreciate you guys going. So we're back tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Remember we will not have a show on Christmas Day, So tomorrow jump in, Brian, Can you want to get us a little started on the Eagles offense tomorrow? So we'll jump into the Eagles offense a little bit. I know Brian usually have some questions for us on a Tuesday as well, so we'll do a little.
Speaker 4: Bit of that too.
Speaker 6: Get you guys all primed up before Christmas, and then we'll be back on Thursday and uh and finish our preparation for Cowboys versus Eagles till then for Nick Harris Brian brought us Ambergarcia. I'm Derek Eagles and this has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.