Speaker 1: New antivirus software that's taking a different approach.
Speaker 2: What's going on, imrich Demiro. This is rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: For years, antivirus software has worked in pretty much the same way. Companies find viruses and malware that identify their key characteristics, then they add them to their list of definitions.
Speaker 2: Antivirus software on your home.
Speaker 1: Computer gets that list of updated definitions, then it checks the files on your computer.
Speaker 2: Against those lists.
Speaker 1: The problem is, if an app hasn't seen a particular virus or malware, it could be pretty ineffective against it. Now a new company named Silance I've recently met with. They're taking a totally different approach. They are literally teaching their anti virus software to be smart. Thanks to artificial intelligence and machine learning, it can spot a bad file even if it's never.
Speaker 2: Seen it before. Yes, it is really cool.
Speaker 1: I went over to their headquarters in Irvine, California and talked to Christopher Bray. He is the head of their new consumer division.
Speaker 3: The threats have increased exponentially. Back in the early days, I think we all remember the Melissa viruses. In the early two thousands, we had a handful of new unknown malicious software released monthly. These days, We've got three hundred and fifty thousand pieces of malicious software being released daily, new malicious software, and it doesn't discriminate. It'll attack companies, it'll attack individuals. It's largely driven by financial motivations. It's crime driven. Back in the old days, people who used to write malicious software, we're kids who are looking for digital bragging rights. It was the equivalent of breaking a window. Today it's evolved to very, very sophisticated organizations that hire the best and brightest and write software that surreptitiously compromises your identity, steals your credentials, ransoms your system any way that they can get money out of you.
Speaker 1: Silence literally teaches their software, so they feed their all kinds of good and bad files so they can understand the differences between them.
Speaker 3: We take what we call a proactive approach, which means we don't need to rely on updates or getting actual copies of the malicious software to write a fix for it. Rather, we use the power of artificial intelligence and machine learning in order to identify good and bad software before it even has an opportunity to run.
Speaker 1: They gave me a demo of just how powerful their software can be. So we did the same scenario twice. First we clicked on an infected attachment on an unprotected computer and we saw ransomware take over the entire screen. Then we clicked on the same exact attachment on a computer that had the Silent software on it, and Silence literally stopped the ransomware before it had any opportunity to act.
Speaker 3: You know, a common attract vector is phishing emails. So you'll get an email from someone that you trust, maybe it's your bank, maybe it's a friend, and it's got an innocuous document that's attached to.
Speaker 4: It asks you to double click.
Speaker 3: You do that, and all of a sudden, you've just unleashed some sort of malicious.
Speaker 4: Software like ransomware.
Speaker 3: So if you're running a Silence entivirus, the minute you double click on that malicious attachment, it does a split second assessment is this good or is it bad? And if it's bad, it'll throw it into quarantine right away, preventing it from running it all.
Speaker 1: Now you might be thinking, can't any old antivirus software do this? Possibly, yes, But the difference here is that Silence can understand whether a file is good or bad.
Speaker 2: That means even if.
Speaker 1: Nobody's ever seen it before, or if it's totally undiscovered, Silence can still stop it.
Speaker 3: You know, this algorithm that we feed billions and billions of samples of good software and bad software, and through machine learning and AI, we train it and it gets more and more refined with time, and then the output of that algorithm is the software that we actually put on people's desktops.
Speaker 4: And what's cool about it is.
Speaker 3: It doesn't need to connect to any server or cloud in order to protect you. It it encapsulates all the learning that in that application.
Speaker 1: Now, I've been running Silence on my Mac computer to try it out, and I got to say, I am impressed.
Speaker 2: It's small, the app is lightweight.
Speaker 1: It kind of stays tucked away in the background until it needs to spring into action, which, by the way, so far it hasn't had to on my computer. But this is on a lot of other anti virus programs, even the ones that I've installed on my Mac, They're constantly nagging you to do a system scan, update their files, or they just in general hog your system resources.
Speaker 4: We've been around for approximately six years.
Speaker 3: We started in the business space and have been very successful in that space and quite disruptive, and our plan is to replicate that in the consumer space and offer consumers a fresh alternative to the commonly perceived system slowing.
Speaker 4: Pop up riddled user experience.
Speaker 3: A lot of users have soured on what they've seen in the industry. A lot of vendors will do They'll offer a firesale price for the first year, and then they get surprise on an auto renewal for a much higher price.
Speaker 4: We take a completely different approach.
Speaker 3: We're very transparent in our pricing and we say, look, if you sign up for two years, then you'll get a benefit, and if you do the math, our two year price actually works out to be better than a lot of our competitors.
Speaker 1: Silance Smart antivirus software as it's called, starts at thirty dollars a year. My pick is the five or ten pack of licenses. This can protect all the computers in your household. Two years of protection runs eighty or one hundred dollars, which is a pretty good value when you think about the flip side of having to deal with some sort of ransomware mess And I really have no doubt that AI and machine learning will be the model for computer protection going forward. Silance is just one of those companies at the forefront of it right now. If you want to learn more, you can go to my website For a link, it's Rich on tech dot TV.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for listening. I'm Rich Demiro. I'll talk to you real service