Speaker 1: The volume. The NBA playoffs are heating up, and so is the action at DraftKings Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner of the NBA with same game parlays, live betting odds, boosts, and so much more. Don't miss out as the NBA postseason winds down, so lots of great odds for the second round. If you still think the Nuggets are gonna come back and beat the Timberwolves, you can get them right now at plus one oh five. Thunder MAVs starts here shortly, and if you like the MAVs to win that series, you can get them at minus one oh five. And if you're new to DraftKings, you gotta check this out. New customers bet five bucks to get one hundred and fifty in bonus bets. Instantly download the DraftKings Sportsbook app now and use code hoops that's hoops. That's code hoops for new customers to get one hundred and fifty in bonus bets when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours gambling problem called one eight hundred Gambler or in West Virginia, visit www dot one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York, call eight seven seven eight hope and why, or text hope and why to four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help us available for problem gambling call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort in Kansas twenty one plus age varies by jurisdiction. Void in Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. See dkang dot co slash bball for eligibility and deposit restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources. All right, welcome hoops tonight here at the volume Havy Sunday. Everybody hope all you guys are having an incredible weekend. Well. The Indiana Pacers, in a game seven in Madison Square Garden, shoot an NBA record sixty seven percent from the field as they control the game throughout. Send the Knicks home. The Knicks continue to fall apart. Ognnob can't go for more than a few minutes. Jalen Brunson ends up breaking his hand. They finally cross that like whatever that mandatory minimum amount of talent is for them to compete, they fall apart, and the Pacers are advancing to the conference finals to play the Boston Celtics. We're gonna break the game down, talk a little bit about the future for both teams. Then we'll get out of here until later tonight after Denver Minnesota. You guys know the Joe before we get started. Subscribe to a brand new YouTube channel so you don't miss any more of our videos. Follow me on Twitter underscore JCNLT so you guys don't misshow announcements. Don't forget about a podcast feed where you get your podcast under Hoops tonight, and then keep dropping mail back questions in the YouTube comments so we keep hitting them throughout the rest of the postseason.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk some basketball.
Speaker 1: So again, the focus coming out of this game, and most of the narrative narrative is going to center around shooting luck right, or shooting variants or whatever you want to call this, like mythological mysterious force of shots going in or missing. And to be clear, I do believe that variance plays a role in shooting, but I just think it's further down than the basketball reasons. When you're whenever you're looking at a game like this where a team shoots an extremely high percentage. Luck is something that should be discussed further down than the actual basketball reasons that allowed the Pacers to get those kinds of shots. And really it comes down to this for me, there is a team speed with Indiana, specifically led by Tyre's Halliburton and TJ. McConnell, and their consistent ability to get the defense in rotation in combination with excellent play finishers. Those being the guys who are the beneficiaries of those advantage situations created by Tyres Alliburton and TJ. McConnell, and those guys doing a great job finishing off those plays while they get incessant excellent opportunities because of their primary ball handlers, they got the defense into rotation more often than the Knicks did. Now, to be clear, going into this series, the next biggest advantage was their physicality and toughness, and so as their one forward that they have on the roster got hurt, it became something where it was it was a problem. They were running out four guard lineups a ton. They were just overmatched physically. After Mitchell Robinson went down after Game one, and og Anobi went down after game in game two, and then Josh Hart, their most physical guard, ends up getting an abdominal injury in game six. So like at a certain point, New York didn't have the physical capability of disrupting Indiana's rhythm and flow. But make no mistake, the reason why they shot as well as they did is because they reached a rhythm and flow, which is a real thing in basketball, and when a team gets going like that, you have to do something to disrupt that flow. That's the big reason why I think luck falls lower down on that list of factors that determine shot result. It's because if it was luck, then eventually they might just start missing shots, right, But no, that's not how it works. You have to make a team start missing shots by disrupting flow through ball pressure, better closeouts, maybe waking the defensive scheme to try to disrupt rhythm in some way, shape or form, right like when push comes to shove, you got to make a team miss at the end of the day. That's the biggest part of why I think luck gets over discussed is like there is a process element to trying to disrupt shooting, and it involves defensive pressure, both on the ball and in closeout situations, Indiana just kept getting good shots. It's like, you're hoping Tyree's finally misses one, but he's wide open again on the right wing after he just knifed through the defense and dribbled back out to the three point line. You're hoping Miles Turner finally misses one, but there he is again, butt naked at the top of the key, no one guarding it. So like at a certain point, you're betting on guys missing when they're not when these are good looks for good play finishers, right, and so at a certain point, like I would like to put the focus on Indiana and the fact that they played and reached a level of offense by virtue of one their cornerstone, Tyrese Halliburton, who I think is one of the next great offensive engines in the league. I think he's like Steve Nash two point zero that in combination with an awesome backup guard who's in TJ McConnell, who's excellent at one of the most important elements to shot creation in the NBA playoffs, which is dribble penetration. TJ McConnell just beats people off the dribble all night long, and it just causes havoc for any sort of defense. They got two guys that continually get the defense in rotation and a bunch of dudes who are excellent at finishing those plays in advantage situations. So give the give credit to the Pacers, tip of the cap to them. They put on an offensive masterclass today, was bolstered by a little bit of shooting luck that pushed them into the Eastern Conference Finals. They continue to get excellent second darry scoring support from Siakum goes for twenty plus again. Aaron NEI Smith, you know it's funny. I think he's he's been like the Bruce Brown of this playoff run. If you remember Bruce Brown from Denver last year, where it's like shorter, stockier, like wing guard hybrid who can knock down a three, but has like this real slashing downhill force right that he brings to the equation. Like how many big, close out, attacking, driving layups did Aaron Nesmith have in that third quarter run when the Knicks came out with their hair on fire, trying to make it a game again. I think they got it back to six, and Nie Smith just kept beating people off the dribble, driving a close out and getting into the lane and finishing over Precious to two or finishing over Isaiah Hartenstein. Not to mention his individual defense on Jalen Brunson turned the series around. In my series preview, I talked about how I thought he was the guy that should have gotten the job. He did it in the first two games. He had the job from Game three on, and he just did an amazing job. I haven't seen the the final tallly of the numbers, but I bet you the shooting percentages for Jalen Brunson when guarded by aaron NEI. Smith were abominably bad compared to what he had in other matchups in this series. He's been the Bruce Brown of this playoff run, this big, stocky athletic guard that just rex havoc on the ball. Defensively, can knock down threes, but most importantly brings real rim pressure off the ball driving closeouts. I thought he was incredible tonight. Shout out to aaron Ne Smith. Looking forward for both teams. For the Pacers, the Celtics are another tier of basketball team. Then the Bucks without Giannis or that injury ravaged Knicks team.
Speaker 2: Right, But we know the Pacers are capable.
Speaker 1: Of beating the Celtics because we saw them in a winner take all situation in the n season tournament. Obviously much lower stakes, but we saw what they did in that In that game, it was good defensive process, it was a lot of running out in transition, and Tyresaliburton was the best player on the floor.
Speaker 2: And that is their pathway. Right.
Speaker 1: They need to turn that series into a track meet and take advantage of their speed advantage.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: We're gonna do a full series preview on this tomorrow. But the gist of it is, you got to look at it from a very simple perspective. Boston has more talent.
Speaker 2: They just do.
Speaker 1: Their top six is better than your top six. But one of the things for Boston is all of those guys are capable of doing a lot more than they do and are fitting into smaller roles to try to maximize their talent. Right, you have a lot of specialists. You've got these two primary shot creators, but then you've got a lot of play finishers. So if everyone plays to the best of their ability, there's actually a version of this where Indiana can out play Boston based on maximizing the talent they have in minimizing Boston's ability to do the same. On the other end of the floor, I will be picking Boston. I would imagine just about everybody else will. They have a huge talent advantage, but the Hacer's advantage is going to be fast up and down the floor, track meet basketball. No one can keep Tyris Haliburton and TJ McConnell in front, constant dribble penetration, and then just getting the type of effort from Aaron Nesmith that you need to play Jason Tatum into a rough series. You need andrin emhar to do the same thing. You need Pascal Siakam to have a great defensive series. So there's gonna be a pathway there, but it's gonna be a tiny little crack in the door, and for them to push through that crack, they're gonna need to play borderline perfect basketball. So it's gonna be a heck of a challenge for them in the next round. For the Knicks, obviously, a frustrating way to lose the series, right, Like your biggest advantage. The reason why I picked the Knicks to win that series was because I literally said, I think they're the.
Speaker 2: Bigger, tougher team.
Speaker 1: And then Mitchell Robinson goes down after game one, Oh Jannerobi goes down after Game two.
Speaker 2: Josh Hart strains is abdomen.
Speaker 1: Obviously, in game seven, Jalen Brunson ends up hurting his hand. You just you lost your greatest advantage by losing two front court players at the start of the series. All of a sudden, your five best players were four guards in a big so like I understand that it was. It was frustrating, but at the end of the day, like, you guys weren't going to beat Boston in that sort of condition anyway.
Speaker 2: You needed to be.
Speaker 1: Healthy, and you just these playoffs really are a war of attrition. Every playoffs is a war of attrition. What happened in twenty nineteen it came down to, or what happened in twenty eighteen. It was like Chris Paul ends up getting hurt right twenty seventeen, Kawhi Leonard ends up getting hurt. Twenty nineteen, Klay Thompson and Kevin Durant ended up getting hurt. Twenty twenty. That was the year that the Warriors had their gap year when everyone was hurt, right like Kevin Durant obviously was out that entire season. Twenty twenty one, the Lakers in their repeat, their attempt to repeat. They're up to one on the Suns in the first round, and Anthony Davis pulls his growing muscle, And honestly, the attempt for og And Andobi to play tonight reminded me of Anthony Davis trying to go in game was it six? I think it was Game six against the Lakers where he went out there, but it was just clear he couldn't move right. But like going to twenty twenty two, it's or twenty twenty one. That also was the year that for the Nets, Kyrie Irving sprains his ankle, James Harden has a hamstring injury in out in the Western Conference. The Warriors were still out because Klay Thompson was out that entire season, and the Warriors would have made the playoffs, but Steph landed on a stair and hurt his tailbone and missed like eight games and they lost all of them, and so they ended up missing the playoffs. Right like twenty twenty, like there's always injuries. Lebron James in twenty twenty three gets that foot injury right like, there's all injuries are an important part of every NBA playoff run, right Like. It is a war of attrition, and this time the Knicks were on the wrong side of it.
Speaker 2: It is what it is.
Speaker 1: It's really unfortunate. But here's the thing, there are a ton of reasons for optimism for Knicks fans. You've got a culture, you've got an energy behind the franchise. Now you've become desirable as a place to play in a way that you weren't in the past. And most importantly, you've got a lot of talent and a lot of draft compensation. So you can look to make some sort of mild pivot this offseason to bring in some sort of scoring forward. I'd be looking for an upgrade of the Julius Randall position, or you could look at an upgrade at the three, because I think Og can play the four, but you need to find some sort of legitimate secondary scoring option next to Jalen Brunson, just so that you can kind of disperse the load a little bit. Like I think Jalen Brunson looked obviously a little bit fatigued over the tail end of that series, right, Like Brunston just wasn't the same guy game three through seven of that series, right he was. Obviously there's the foot injury. He's worn down. You got to find a way to shrink everyone's roles, and the easiest way to do that is to bring another star in, because, as I always say on the show, when you have legitimate stars that play both ends of the floor, they create small, achievable roles for role players. Right now, you kind of need everybody to bring a ton the table, But like you can minimize that and make easy roles for everyone. Like Dante DiVincenzo was basically your secondary shot creator. He had some hot shooting nights, he had some poor shooting nights. But like, if you put Dante de Vincenzo in a situation where he has to do less offensively, you get a little bit more out of him defensively, a little bit more consistency from him offensively.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So, Like, I think the one guy that I would not move if I could avoid it is Og, because I think if you give up Og and you bring in some scoring minded forward, you could run into some issues that you saw after Og went down, which is the physical profile of the team gets changed and you no longer bring that imposition to the table. Right, So, like i'd be looking to package salaries. You've got some surplus at some specific positions. I think you can afford to give up a guard. I think you can afford to give up one of your centers, right. But like that, I would be looking to package those guys in draft compensation to look for some sort of scoring forward to alleviate some of the workload on Jalen Brunson. Like I said, we'll have a series preview on Celtics Pacers tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Tonight.
Speaker 1: I'm going with Colin right after the final buzzer of Denver Minnesota Game seven. I believe after that I'm gonna stay on and record something for the Hoops Tonight channel. So I'll probably have something later tonight on that series, and then tomorrow I'm also gonna be working on the series preview for the winner of that game versus Dallas. All right, guys, that's all I have for this first show today is always sincerely appreciate you guys for supporting the show.
Speaker 2: I'll see you in a few hours.
Speaker 1: The volume