Speaker 1: Howard, my husband fell at a construction site. I knew it wasn't safe.
Speaker 2: It ain't and law. We're one of the largest filers of workers' compensation claims in the state. If you've been hurt on the job, in a car accident, or suffered a medical mistake, call three one, two six million.
Speaker 3: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox Talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is the Socks Machine Podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis, James Began, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 4: You see any great airs in the mirror after at least last two days.
Speaker 5: They're already there. But yeah, tough couple of games. We're really had to grind it. Contributions from everybody, obviously extra endings. There's a ton of situational stuff that you have execute and guys really executed.
Speaker 6: Welcome, Welcome to the Sox Machine Podcast, part of the Foul Territory Network. I'm your host, Josh Nelson. And that was White Sox manager Will Vennable speaking Bose game after Thursdays two to one win, another extra innings win for the Chicago White Sox as they some way, somehow, in a very wild way, get a series split against the New York Yankees as that concludes their seven game homestand they end up finishing three to four, But it looked really dour for the White Sox against the New York Yankees this week. And joining me, of course on this episode is Sox Machines Beat reporter James Sveigan and managing editor Jim Margulus and Hello Jensen. We'll start with the show about this series split for the White Sox, and from my perspective, I'm impressed in the way that they were able to win these last two games and really demonstrated the resiliency that this.
Speaker 7: Young squad has.
Speaker 6: They had no right really to win on Wednesday thanks to back to back home runs in the eighth inning. They were just simply being dominated by Yankees starting pitching through this series, and that was also true on Thursday as the game was scoreless, but in extra innings the White Sox were able to grind out those wins, and I just found that to be a very impressive performance and even more reasons to get excited about this White Sox team and be hopeful of what's to come, as we're just three games away, four days away from the trade deadline for the White Sox and wondering what Chris gets will do to help add to this squad. But Jim, I'll start with you. What does splitting this four game series with the New York Yankees mean for the White Sox.
Speaker 8: It means not losing ground in the central basically holding serve, playing a good team, and not getting the doors blown off, which is like when first game happened, second game shut shutdown at a kind of Cleveland like open to that series where they could give up the entire lead and one four game swoop and then back to games. Not necessarily the prettiest way to do it, but a reminder that one, the White Sox are resilient and two, either the American League is questionable in high end quality overall, or the White Sox are either patient enough or talented enough, pesky enough, whatever you want to say to drag teams to their level and make them just as frustrated, just as you hear a lot of the same complaints about fundamentals too aggressive a base running, trying to force issues on defense, not hitting with the runners in scoring position. I mean, Yankees fans are saying those things about their team and X ratings losses. And you know, my one of my long running mantras here is no team's problems are unique. But I think when you have two teams that are right now slated four postseason spots, a possible October preview of some kind, it's good to be able to either climb up to a team's level or drag them down to yours.
Speaker 6: And I can understand from like the White Sox fans perspective that maybe are not as impressed because the Yankees don't have Aaron Judge or Cody Bellinger the White Sox and John Carl stan for that matter. It's not like the Yankees offense is at full power. They still can be dangerous. Ben Rice has been excellent for them offensively, Jazz Chisholm Trent Grisham can provide some off to output. Yes, the Yankees at times did struggle to score runs and that will be an issue for them while Bellinger's on the il and who.
Speaker 7: Knows the situation with Aaron Judge.
Speaker 6: But James still though the Yankees on the pitching side of here to be at full strength and the White Sox being able to weather that storm long and off, especially on Wednesday, and Thursday to scratch out those wins again. I even though the Yankees are not a full strength I still am impressed by the way the White Sox came back and split this series. What is splitting the series? What do you think this means for the White Sox And what did you hear in the post game conferences and the interviews with the players?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it certainly feels better on the like it depends on like sequencing, if they like have split these games up, or if they had won the first two and certainly lost the second two, it certainly has a much different feel from it. Whereas like this makes it feel like, you know, they show their metal. They came back, and I think that's the element of it, and certainly like the players aren't shocked or like feel like they've newly proven this ability to do this. But I think it certainly sends them to Tampa on a better note and makes it feel like, all right, we are playing here, you know, in our home stadium where they've had so much success in a way that's familiar to them. Same time, like if the biggest question with the White Sox is like starting rotation, they won the two games where you know, basically their most successful starters over the season, you know, performed. You know, then Noah Schultz only getting through three and a third really put them in a situation that, you know, it was difficult to n wind up. They didn't do well offensively, you know, I think Anthony k look well good overall, you know, even like it's kind of a weird chopper, as much as he gave up like three kind of well hit balls in a row in the second inning, like the one that like cashes into runs seem pretty fluky.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: And then you have like Martin doing really well to recover after a rough first inning, and you know, continuing to say afterwards that he feels like he's trending in the right direction mechanically. And then to Burke being what Burke has been for those last eight starts, and when starting pitching is in line, they look a lot more competitive and like they can hang with anybody. When it's not, it looks a little bit like, oh, well, this team was a year early, wasn't it. Throughout that there was a huge burden on the bullpen, and they certainly looked better in the last two days, you know, with just a herculean effer in terms of eleven innings total to turn to versus like it's hard for them to get the last five and two thirds of a game without you know, seeing an emplosion somewhere with Shultz. So I feel like you saw the good and bad of the pitching at times. I try to and I put it in the recap, but like the offense has like certainly had some games in the last like six weeks where it just like seems like they can't get to a starter, or it takes a while, or you know, the drags a really late. But I do have to look up the numbers and be like, oh, it's the top scoring team in the AL. Maybe they have flaws, but like literally every team in their compediing against his worse, So how much should we freak out about, you know, Tristan Peters having a slow start to post All Star Break and mcgil vargas like they've earned some trust to get right with what they've done. But it's certainly I think the first two games had a feel of all right, a better team is coming in and kind of assurding itself the way they did in the series in New York in a way. So for them to push back on that, you know, kudos to them, and at this point maybe we shouldn't be surprised. Certainly, Sam Mansinacci asking him about it this morning or Thursday morning, at this point, I was like, do you feel like like you guys kind of you know, turned around from at least a small bad stretch. And he's like, there's nothing to turn around from.
Speaker 7: We're good.
Speaker 4: So I think they feel like they asserted themselves, like obviously you have to prove it every single week in the majors. But it didn't seem like something was beyond or like oh wow, they've shown us this new thing. It's more like, oh, yeah, this is even when they look bad for two games, Like this is the one team in the league that hasn't lost four games in a row. I believe still, like they that's crazy. They've proven that they will swing around within you know, due time, even even after a couple of performances where they look pretty shaky.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the White Sox haven't lost for straight this season. Jim, there is a time in two twenty four, I don't know if they've won four games in thirty days.
Speaker 7: How long was that losing streak?
Speaker 6: Again, like twenty something in or close to twenty twenty one. Wow, how much stains can change in a couple of years. I love the confidence, though, Jim from Sam Antonacci like again, we can be impressed everyone from the outside and still shocked, but it's not arrogance for these White Sox young players. And Colson Montgomery has mentioned it a few times now that maybe they're too young, that they don't know any better. But I do enjoy as far as this type of confidence of the White Sox beam, especially for them able to climb back against the Yankees, and they're gonna need it because they got a pretty tough road trip coming up that we'll talk about later, starting in Tampa.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I mean you could say they're faking it till they make it when it comes to this kind of confidence, or you know, not willing to seed anything, and that's fine. I mean, as long as they can back it up. It's I think the opposite. Not to invoke him unnecessarily, but Paige griff would be somebody who tried to fake it till he made it, and he did not and just sounded delusional to points you couldn't line up what he was saying with what you were seeing there's no reason to trust him. So I think there's a fine line, or at least a line to walk when saying that. But yeah, when you never lose four games in a row, you know, knock on wood for them. But it's a testament to the fact that like, well, why should they talk down about themselves or why should they admit it if there hasn't been that stretch on paper showing that they can really get into a tailspin.
Speaker 6: We'll be talking more about the White Sox starting pitching, especially Sean Burke, who was outstanding again on Thursday ten strikeouts. After a quick word from our sponsors.
Speaker 1: There is one place to be entrede Deadline Day watching Foul Territory of course. A. J. Perdinski, Aeric Kratz, and Scott Braun will be live all afternoon speaking with insiders, reading tea leaves and reacting to unfolding deadline drama. Join us on the FT YouTube channel at one ET and stay locked in through the six pm deadline next Monday. Foul Territory Network. It's baseball the way it should be covered.
Speaker 3: Howard, I'm so.
Speaker 4: Glad I saved your number.
Speaker 3: My husband fell at a construction.
Speaker 1: Site of his in critical condition and new cookless.
Speaker 2: I'm very sorry to hear that. I just want to let you know I'm here to help.
Speaker 4: Yeah, tell me more about it.
Speaker 2: Work injuries not only affect the victim, but also everyone around them. In can Launch, Chicago based here to advocate on your behalf, with over one hundred attorneys in staff. If you or somebody you know has questions about a work injury called three one two six million injury law made personal, that's taking law.
Speaker 4: What'd you think of Bert Coberl.
Speaker 5: Barke was outstanding? I think you know fastball is again working for him, just a ton of confidence with it, just in the zone. He's getting swing and miss with it and really opening up everything else. I thought, a really good cutter again, today's just really get stuck here. I also thought, after like the third Fame a fastball command was pretty bad.
Speaker 4: I think I love some stuff on the table.
Speaker 5: There's like some longer innings and counts. I was able to finish as quick as I'd like to, But the cutter is.
Speaker 8: Really good today.
Speaker 6: And then as always breaking down design it's good too. That was White Sox manager Will Venable and of course Sean Burke speaking postgame on Thursday, again, Sean Burke absolutely outstanding, six scoreless innings for the White Sox, ten strikeouts on ninety one pitches, And James, it is a bit funny to me to hear Will Vennable say that, yeah, Burke's fastball again great, and then Sean Burke mentioning to you and the other Beat reporters after the game, Yeah, my fastball command wasn't all that great in the third and fourth inning. But for this, again, this is consecutive starts that Sean Burke has struck out ten plus hitters. Just absolutely dominating from Burke today. What was the catalyst in your point of view watching Burke on the field today, James, that led to the success?
Speaker 4: First of all, Venable like understands almost every game for the framework of did someone command like was the opposing offense able to turn around your fastball? Were we able to be competitive or do damage on the fastball? Like he that's his like baseline for like every game. So if you ask him about like what the offense did well, what the pitcher did well on any level, like he's he's probably going to like speak to like did did they damage the fastball, Did they follow it off?
Speaker 2: Did they whi it?
Speaker 4: And you know, Burke might feel like he left some in locations he didn't want to, but he didn't get like if you can buy his four singer and sinker, you got eight whiffs off of it. And he continued to sit ninety five, which was like a slightly above like his ear average. It just reflects like his norms kind of dragged a bit up from you know, I want to say he sat like ninety three point something last year even though we knew he's capable of upper nineties and really only topped out around like ninety seven points something. You know, you know, hum drum on Thursday, but has been more consistently having like this just the more competitive version of his fastball on the zone, where like even if he feels like he leaves the locations, like it's not getting hit the way like it would when he made mistakes or when it was a little bit underpowered. So I think there's something what Venable's saying. Well. Also, while like Burke's self standards have just like rocketed up in such a way where he's you know, this is at least results wise, Like I agree with him some like things are a little like spotty in points, but like if you look at results in his career, like it's a short list contender for one of the best starts of his life. It's six coolest Indians against the Yankees, but ten strikeouts. He has three double digit strikeout games this month, but only five in his career. Like, I know he's gotten used to, like, you know, being awesome really quickly, but.
Speaker 7: I mean he's a strong.
Speaker 6: Contender James to be American League Picture of the Month.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think, like I haven't looked at it yet, but right now, like it looks like someone deserving of a vote. He feels like, and it's certainly true in terms of like looking like how effective his cutter was, Like I think he struck out Grisham and Chisholm with it, and I want to say another one. He feels like this was a great day of like I was able to throw my cutter when I wasn't locating my fastball, or just like able to get whiffs off both the slider and curve. Like it's like this kind of represents if I don't have to lean on one thing. It's not like, oh, if I don't have my huge four steamer, it's not getting tons of whiff or I'm not doing my best curve ball like that dictates my start. The fact that you can kind of like go to other avenues and still be successful, I think for him is what's standing out, Like I have confidence on all my pitches right now in a way that he's really touting. So the fact that his arsenal has expanded so comfortably and he can kind of see it all effective, not necessarily so evenly distributed like this start, but so consistently can turn to other options and not just be like I have to have perfect or great four seamers and curves or otherwise it's going to be one and I'm gonna you're gonna see me walk, guys. I think that's what's standing out to him right now. Same time like I think it's it's all kind of contributed, Like his delivery is clearly clicked in a way that's allowed him to make choices about what he feels like really fits in his arsenal. And you know, he's gotten so comfortable with his curve and executing against lefties and the cutter that if he hasn't outright just abandoned the change up. It's like, well, it's really not that important for me to get this right. I don't have to force myself to throw it in situations where it seems pretty iffy. And I think that's what every like super supernater guy wants to feel about a change up, like truly a choice to ever use it at all. And I think he's at that point just because of how strong the rest of those arsenal is. So I asked him like straight up to like, I know you're quibbling some things here, but don't you kind of think this is the best baseball you were throwning in your life? And he's like, oh yeah. So it's funny because like most guys high school or college, you know, maybe they're just dominating in ways like they never can replicate in the pros because this pros are too hard. But like Burke is very much like, yeah, like I was good, I could tell I could go to the next level, but like I was never as consistent as I want to be. It feels like he's these eight outings. They're not technically starts because one of them at an opener, but like these these eight starts are the most consistent he's really been, even though if it's the highest, you know, competition level he's face in his career.
Speaker 6: It's funny that you mentioned like he's got other pitches in his arsenal because looking at stat cast, podcast listeners and watchers, opposing hitters against Burke's fourteen fastball are just batting one to eighty against that pitch, and his knuckle curve is two two. So I can understand, like, if he's feeling a bit iffy James in his start that it's not as sharp, or maybe the fastball is too middle of his zone, it's too hit a ble that I can go to the cutter, you know, after reading some of your recent reports about Noah Schultz to like try to keep it simple and maybe reducing from a six pitch arsenal maybe down to like three for Noah's Schultz. It's pretty clear that this fastball, curveball cutter accommodation is good. I mean back to back ten plus strikeout outings. So I don't know James, if Bert does need to change up, for when he will need to change up again.
Speaker 4: I mean, he doesn't really like there are multiple starts in the stretch where he hasn't thrown it, and I asked him about it and he's like, yeah, I've kind of banged it, and like he mentioned throwing it a little bit on Thursday, like just as like, but he've views it as like not necessarily like a shape that he thinks is super necessary in terms of like getting something to move away from left eas He views this purely as like a speed differential thing to kind of mess up timing this whole dynamic that he used to have of like you know a lot of these big right handers who have big sliders or big curve balls have like, oh, I can make everything move it's the left, but I can't move and make anything go right away from lefties. It's just not really holding him back right now. It's not stopping him from getting left handed hitters out, So it's it's really it's not like the shape that's missing from his profile, especially since he uses a sinker so much and even the lefties. And he threw on the Spencer Jones that was kind of in a spicy location, but he got him to fly out on. He's been willing to do that pretty often. I don't think it's like, oh man, what am I going to do to get anybody to not just kind of look, you know, glove side on me over and over. It doesn't seem like that's you know, occupying his attention the way it was, you know, last year when he's really still figuring things out.
Speaker 6: And Jim, I think with Burke, like the the fastball velocity difference. I was listening to the Game of the radio and Len Casper and Darren Jackson were talking about this point with Burke that when he is in the stretch, that's when you start seeing the fastball dip a little bit. Where when he's in his wind up he can get up to ninety eight and ninety nine. You usually don't see those fastball velosies Burke out of the stretch. So maybe that's it means pretty key, he's not walking a whole lot. He only walked two batters in this outing against the Yankees, So maybe that's something that we have to take a deeper dive into and if that is the difference, and maybe also leading success for Burke is just simply not giving away free passes and staying out of the stretch as long as possible. But if Game one of the postseason were tomorrow. Jim Sean Burke's that starter, right.
Speaker 8: I hesitate to answer this question just because the last two guys who had earned this mantle, Jane Smith, I just watched him in Charlotte tonight, and.
Speaker 7: How did he look?
Speaker 8: Just doesn't seem to have that same ability to bully hitters with the fastball. I think last year when he was on his game, like four seemers, Sinkers did the job. Basically. The changeup was there, curveball was there. He had some breaking pitches to show, but it's mainly just relentless fastballsack, attack, attack, and the velocity isn't bad, but it's more like ninety four versus ninety six. And he tops out at like ninety six ninety seven and gets into bad counts to where when they're expecting it, they can you hit line drives. So he's not so much a factor right now. Then Davis Martin was that guy and you looked like he was on an automatic All Star berth and possible Cy Young votes, and then he hits this rough patch. So now it's Burke, and so I'm tempted to try to sidestep this in terms of like a sports illustrated jinks or anything like that, to where you're catching somebody their high point and then regression kicks in. But yeah, I mean it's pretty obvious just in terms of how he's mitigating everything. Just he's not giving up walks, he's striking out guys. The contact that he's giving up is staying in the park mostly, So he's controlling all three peripherals the kind of breech Roy outcomes, and so when you have that going for you, you can kind of get by with the a single whether he has a little bit of a lossy dip in the stretch, you can get by with lesser stuff when you're still forcing hitters to string together quality plate appearances against a pitcher who's locating both fastball and breaking balls and kind of at will in either count. That really isn't a fastball count necessarily. So yeah, at this point, he's pitching like a postseason starter. And when you look at what Martin's done of late, although he bounced back very nicely after the rough first inning, and then you f k, who's kind of somebody who battles through five I would say was probably the way they characterize him. Then I think, yeah, it's Burke and then distant second.
Speaker 6: Right. Now, well, where to take a quick break for more words from our sponsors. But coming up after the break, we're going to take a look around the American League Central, update the standing, see how the other teams are doing in the division, and preview this key road series of the White Sox. They head to Saint Petersburg, Florida to face the Tampa Bay Rays next on the Sox Machine podcast. Now taking a look around the American League Central, and the Cleveland Guardians and Minnesota Twins both won their series. The Guardians won two out of three against the Reds. The Minnesota Twins were down three to nothing in their third game against the Royals, two outs, bomb the ninth inning, two strikes and Cody Clemens hits a walk off grand Slam to win that series for the Minnesota Twins. And the Detroit Tigers ended up losing their series to the Baltimore Orioles. They were up seven to nothing in Trek School's last start, maybe the last start with the Detroit Tigers based on recent rumors. They were up seven to nothing and they ended up losing that game. So a really painful series loss for the Detroit Tigers when you take a look around the American League Central standings as an update before heading into this weekend, the Chicago White Sox still lead with the fifty seven to fifty one record, their two games ahead of the Guardians. We're fifty six at fifty four to Minnesota Twins have battled back to being five hundred. They're fifty five and fifty five, just three games back at the White Sox. The Tigers are seven games below five hundred at fifty one to fifty eight, and the Kansas City Royals are forty six and sixty four. They are a distant last place right now, they're twelve games back of the Chicago White Sox. A lot could change here, guys, between now and the trade deadline, and this gives me an opportunity to promote our next episode. Jim Margulus and I will be recording a new episode on Friday, in which I'll be pitching some of my ideas that the White Sox can make as far as trades before the deadline. Will also be sharing your trade ideas as well, so hit us up on social media or most your trade ideas that you like to see the White Sox make before the deadline. I guess we can call this the mid season plan Project, Jim, where our listeners and our followers on Sox Machine can make their which is as well to see what they want to when Chris gets to accomplish before the August third deadline. And of course again watch our friends over at fil Territory for their live show on Monday, as we'll have Ken Rosenthal, Aj Prazinski Aeric Kratz breaking it all down when trades do happen. But I have to ask you, Jim, I look at the standings the Minnesota Twins.
Speaker 7: They are still there.
Speaker 6: The fact that they're three games back of the White Sox has me a little itchy, especially now the White Sox have six straight games against continuing this Ale East part of the Gauntlet where they visit Tampa get a day off before heading to Boston.
Speaker 7: Are you a believer in the Minnesota Twins.
Speaker 8: I guess I should be because I haven't been a believer in them and they keep making me look dumb. So perhaps now is the time to get on the bandwagon and try to sink it. They're another team. I think that when you look at the components of it, the starting Rote is kind of okay but top heavy, and Joe Ryan's been struggling as of late. The bullpen has been kind of a mess all a year. But they're getting by on hitting and having a modular lineup, and you know, Byron Buxton has been in out of the lineup, but they've been able to compensate for it, and they have a pretty deep attack, and they have some guys off the bench like Royce Lewis has come back from Triple A and he's helped. So they've been able to rotate guys in and out. Uh and it's been pretty effective in scoring runs. It's just a matter if they give up a lot of runs as well. So if they can you know, bash their way enough, then perhaps it is a way to hang around five hundred in this kind of uneven imbalanced or I guess balance in terms of just like nobody there are no good teams right now or no great teams in the American League, so they're in the white Sox of Ain of Hell Raisers. I think that can just make a team miserable pitching wise, and you hope that you just bruise them enough. If you're the Twins to I guess lose their senses a little bit, or lose their confidence and get by on sheer brute force. It does make me think, like, you know, the conversations that we've had about the Twins over the last couple of years, and I was always, i guess not enamored with Rocco Baldelli, not thinking was a terrible manager, but just it felt like the Twins had gotten stale, just with the front office and with Baldeli there, and seemed like problems just kept being the same problems the way we saw it the White Sox, how sometimes their problems would repeat upon themselves and it just seemed like nobody was really solving problems where they were just kind of throwing different shape or same shaped solutions at it. You know, maybe they change the names, but nothing had really changed fundamentally about the mix and they just had this low ceiling about them. And I think that's probably the previous pole Ads as well, kind of setting that tone. But I think you have a new poll Ad in charge, you have a new manager, you have a new GM, and yeah you might get some of that, you know, like we saw at the Phillies, just a little bit of a shakeup just with having different people in charge, having new people, I guess decision makers assessing the situation, trying to put their hands on it and seeing what they can do with it. And it might not be like a long term solution, like this isn't resulting in a great Twins team, but it's resulting in a better one, and I think it's a feistier one or one with more power that when you have teams that aren't pitching well like the Royals bullpen. It was funny. I was watching that game, or I was watching the White Sox, but I was following on Blue Sky and Craig Brown, who's ran about the Royals for a long time, watches Noah Cameron throw eight scoreless innings. He's like, let's watch the Royals bullpen blow this, and sure enough, like even he couldn't believe how they blew it. Like they had the first two outs like Lucas ersag got the first two outs, and then they had three of the next four hitters on two strikes, so at three times they were one strike away from ending it and give up a walk off Grand Slam. So against teams that have these flawed pitching staffs, I think they can just you know, kind of the death Star porch is like, just fire missiles into it and blow it up. Just with the deep lineup that they have, So yeah, I am taking them more seriously now, just because you know, with Buxton being hurt, like I thought, okay, he's been you know, his hips really been bothering him. You have Joe Ryan who's looking shaky like this is kind of the lynchpin of their rotation and of their lineup. And even when they're not on their game, they're still winning, they're still scoring runs. So yeah, you have to take them seriously now.
Speaker 6: And the Minnesota Twins head to Seattle, so they have a series against Seattle Mariners, which the Mariners are still in the thicket things, and the America League Quests before they head back to Kansas City. So that's the next six games for the Twins and again the White Sox. We talk about the race series in a moment. Three at Tampa, three at Boston. Again, my neck is feeling a little itchy. I was expecting the Minnesota Twins, I have one of the worst records in Major League Baseball, but CAP tip to them to be able to weather their storms.
Speaker 8: As well.
Speaker 6: Derek Shelton has done a very good job. It is a surprise, just as surprising as the White Sox have been, so have been the Minnesota Twins.
Speaker 7: And four days away.
Speaker 6: Let's see if Trek School does get dealt in how that impacts the Detroit Tiger said, this does become a three team race still in the America League Central, but that makes this different gym. Instead of White Sox, Guardians, Tigers, it's White Sox, Guardians and Twins. We'll see what happens, of course after Monday, but the Chicago White Sox boarded they're playing and they are headed to Saint.
Speaker 7: Petersburg, Florida. Will also be sitting James.
Speaker 6: Down there to cover that series for US because, in a very weird way, if the season were to end the day, the Rays would be the number one seed and the White Sox would be the number two seed. Could this be a potential American League Championship series?
Speaker 7: Preview?
Speaker 6: Well, the White Sox are sorry. The Rays a sixty four and forty four this year.
Speaker 7: They won their.
Speaker 6: Last two games. They're eight and ten in their last ten. They have been dominating at home this year. The Rays are forty and sixteen. They win one game against the White Sox this weekend, and they already clinch a winning record for this season at home in early August. That's how dominating the Rays have been at home. So this is going to be a tough test for the White Sox. You're pitching problems for this series. Friday night, this is a six to ten pm Central Time first pitch. Nick Martinez will take the ball for the Rays against Eric Favetti for the Chicago White Sox. On Saturday, this is a three ten pm Central Time start. It's Drew Rasmussen for the Rays against Noah Schultz. Tentatively right now, we'll see if there's any adjustments by the White Sox, but the plan is for Noah Schultz to make that start on Saturday, and then on Sunday one ten I'm sorry, twelve forty pm Central time start, it's Griffin Jacks, the former Minnesota twin out pitching for the Rays, and it'll be Anthony k to go on Sunday. So big series for the White Sox to see if they can do what other teams have really struggled to do, which is try to win a series in Saint Petersburg James, you will be there as you are covering this series between the White Sox and Rays.
Speaker 7: What's the biggest.
Speaker 6: Storyline that you'll be following over these next three games.
Speaker 4: It's funny when I was at the All Star Game, Jason Starr came up to me and said, like, I can't wait for the Rays White Sox ALCS and we can proceeded to banter about it for a bit, which my proposal is that it's somehow one sets a record for most openers used in ALCS, and like Brian Hudson, somehow like becomes like the record holder for like most starts in a single ALCS because he opens like three games or something ridiculous. He sounds like he's looking forward to it. Based off that description, I feel like they're easy answers to this or chief answers. I should say one is trades. Obviously it would be what we're I feel like we really committed to the series for is in case something like that happens. We're were welcoming new people into the clubhouse. Obviously the deadline is until the day after, but you know, certainly it socks have multiple needs in a seller's market like this. Who knows how many if they'll be able to check all those boxes, but if they are, likely one of them will come a little early before the last day. We'll see. Second one is I have been led to believe we're probably gonna be finding out assignments for draftees on Saturday, most notably Rock Chalowski number one overall pick As you mentioned, you're around these parts, so these are not storylines pertaining to the series per se, but they're out there. I think Noah Schultz certainly stands out to some degree just because this rotation spot is the most in question, or like, how do maybe there The Rais offense doesn't necessarily outside of Junior Camonaro, Jonathan Aronda, like Yandi Diaz doesn't have like these huge names on it to like invoke fear. But they're obviously able to match up a lot and move on the bases and do a lot of things like if you're create, if you're walking guys, or just kind of creating problems for yourself, and in ways that struggling starters can that they can really be a pack of branas on you rather than just kind of overwhelm great pictures all the time. So that stands out. I though, am curious, like, can they this is like an elite pitching team. Can the White Sox hit them? Like Drews Asmissen has been awesome, Griffin Jackson really good since movings of the rotation like these are not I don't think any of these matchups you really look like the pitching matchups. Nick Martinez is obviously be an effective and getting we contact, and you've certainly seen like uh pictures face the White Sox and like challenge them the zone a lot and get weak contact and kind of kider Montero their way through like scoreless innings in the blink of an eye, and you know, do they have ways of combat? Brian Weathers certainly seemed like he kind of did that just getting weak contact below the zone. Uh, for seven innings on Sunday? Can they hit this team? They kind of need to get here for It's weird to like the twenty twenty one White Sox are very much like you guys should win a division and thus all the season is about, like, all right, how are they going to stack up in the playoffs? So what's their record against winning teams? They were so clearly going to win the whole time that like I feel like beyond just that team not having nearly like the good vibes of this one. We just spent all that year kind of picking them apart, Like after the good first half, it's like, oh, are they really that good? Are they really going to stack up? Are they really going to do more than just win this bad division? Whereas like the White Sox win this bad division, like it's you know, one hundred and thirty percent, like grade on your class, Like it's such an a like we put up a picture of you afterwards, like assessing them, like are they got to prove their playoff worthy? The like doesn't feel like fair yet for like how we should judge them. But at the same time, they're playing, you know, the best record in the AL. Want to see if they prove their playoff worthy. They seem like they're a much different team than the team that faced the Rays earlier in the season Ulyast in terms of like what we think they're capable of. So let's see if they can handle elite pitching Teamsin's you know, Colson Montgomery Miguel Vargus have both been probably a little bit cold since the All Star break. The best version of seeing them kind of fixed things probably involves, you know, getting right against you know, a difficult stretch here that they have coming up. So you ask, biggest storyline? I listed five?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Jim, the X factor for the White Sox, other than score more runs than the Rays, what do you think would be the big that will determine if the White Sox are able to find any type of success against Tampa or maybe even pull off the surprise and win the series against the Rays in Saint Petersburg.
Speaker 8: Yeah, James took my answer a little bit, but I can elaborate on it. With the pitching they're facing, the specific into pitching they're facing with Nick Martinez and Drew Rasmus, and in particular, like they have really high arm angles like overhead slots, throw a lot of fastballs up in the zone. Even though Martinez throws more sinkers, he's okay with using sinkers up in the zone also as a change up. So we've seen the White Sox against these pittures with the I guess they'd call him Verdi with the Astros, with the Mariners, we've seen them struggle against that particular kind of pitture because at least last time I check on SACas, they have the highest approach angle in the game as a team, just with their batpath to where they can get above them. So we've seen them swing and miss, We've seen them hit a ton of pop ups at times, and I think Martinez and Rasmussen are probably the way they're built can exploit that pretty well. So if the White Sox are going to adjust to these teams, that can maybe either see them in the postseason or plan to face them and you know, arrange their pitching staffs wdardingly. This would be a good opportunity to show, even if they don't like thump them, just showing that they can put up more fights, get their bats up, get their barrels flatter to do some damage. And I think I'm also looking at this in this regard facing a couple of writings and Tristan Peters. He's scored for forty two in the second half so far, so you can kind of see what he contributed to the offense by what he's not contributing right now in terms of having that contact based approach. The line drives the the I guess when it comes of bad balls, the non easy outs, like the line you know when Colson Montgomery makes now and it tends to be a fly ball, a pop up, so he has to hit the ball pretty square to get what he wants out of the contact, whereas with Peters, you know, and Antonachi is another guy who does this, so he can move the ball around the field, mishit the ball and still fine grass because of just how much ground they have to cover. So I think he's valuable, and I think the way he's struggling right now shows just what the White Sox are missing. So if the White Sox have a good weekend in Saint Petersburg, I'd imagine it's because he's doing something to help.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Peters right now looks like he's swaying with a sixty ounce bat like it just looks either maybe he's a bit fatigue for how much that he's been playing. The bat does look a little slow. But hey, you had you had the walk off walk that helped the White Sox win on Thursday. So we'll see what kind of series happens between the White Sox and the Rays. But that will do it for this episode of the Sox Machine Podcast. Again, we'll have a new episode for you guys over the weekend, as Jim and I will go through my crazy trade ideas before the August third trade deadline, and again pitch your ideas to us as well, which we'll be sharing those in the show either the comments section at soxmachine dot com, in the YouTube section at YouTube dot com slash sox Machine, or hit us up on social media as we're on all the social media platforms at sox Machine. You can follow us also in Instagram and in Blue Sky. James again we'll be in Florida covering this series. You can follow him at j Rfigan and of course you can follow me at socks Machine Underscore Josh. But again that'll do it for this episode of the sox Machine podcast. Thank you guys so much for listening and watching. If you just discover the sox Machine podcast, you subscribed to the show where have you listened to podcasts? At a Spotify and Apple Music. If you do watch our videos which this is now a video podcast, you can describe to a YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash sox Machine. If you enjoy our work and win full access to all of our coverage of the Chicago.
Speaker 7: White Sox at Major League Baseball.
Speaker 6: You can help support sox Machine at soxmachine dot com slash Products in which right now, because the White Socks are still winning, your first month is just fifty three cents for the five dollars award of five dollars a month here, we call it that the five War Tier. We also have additional tiers of support our Vegeance Committee, our BC members. Will we join us Friday for annual Sweet Night for the White Sox and Guardians game.
Speaker 7: That's an extra perk as well.
Speaker 6: So again, if you enjoy what we've been doing this season covering the Chicago White Sox and you would like more from us, and you would like to help support us, the best way to do that is go to soxmachine dot com slash products and sign up today. The Sox Machine Podcast is a production of Soxmachine dot Com. You're on for all of things Chicago White Sox Baseball and part of the File Territory Network alongside James Speaking and Jim Margolis.
Speaker 7: I'm Josh Nelson. Thanks for listening and watching.