Speaker 1: What do you mean it's totaled.
Speaker 2: It's one more thing.
Speaker 3: One more thing.
Speaker 4: I always love it when it's a staff led One more Thing podcast is Michael's got his story in a moment before we get to John Stewart interviewing Elmo, why was Elmo in the news or does he explain that in the setup here?
Speaker 5: Elmo's in the news for something.
Speaker 6: Elmo went rogue on Twitter. He got hot, he got hacked, or so he says, and started saying that we should kill the Jews.
Speaker 2: Right, of course, everybody claims, oh I got hacked. Elmo's a Nazi.
Speaker 5: Allegedly, Elmo and Groc both went after the Jews in the same week.
Speaker 2: Yep, little red Elmo's a brown shirt. What do you know?
Speaker 5: John Stewart on The Daily Show talked to Elmo and after a hacker posted racist and anti Semitic remarks to the Sesme Street characters, ex.
Speaker 3: Account, Elmo, you know what we're here to talk about, oh Jews.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 3: Elmo was radicalized by the Mano sphere. Elmo is part of the male loneliness epidemic. You see what happened was Almo was doing his own research on.
Speaker 2: Flu shots.
Speaker 5: Six hours later, because of the algorithm, Elmo was moderating the Q and on.
Speaker 7: Discord chat.
Speaker 2: And building homemade bombs.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, so wo mano sphere. I don't know if I've heard of that term. Oh yeah, yeah, meaning.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, this stuff just exhausts.
Speaker 5: Me each other online.
Speaker 2: Yeah that and like you you're what's what's the alleged rapist in five different countries?
Speaker 5: Brothers?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Tate brothers. Yeah, and just like hyper masculine down with women, hardcore new right, angry online thing. We're you going to contribute something.
Speaker 6: Just anti feminist. They're super anti feminist.
Speaker 2: Only Yeah, it kind of depends what you mean by that, but yeah, yeah, in kind of a corrosive way.
Speaker 5: And then what was that next? The no, the next phrase, the manisphere was like the men young men, single, lonely.
Speaker 6: Men, the loneliness epidemic, the.
Speaker 5: Loneliness epidemic among men. Okay, yeah, has got part to do with the manisphere. That's part of the in cell crowd thing, right, the whole Well, they're all.
Speaker 2: Kind of overlapping, but yeah, yeah, and a lot of this stuff has a fair amount of legit to it always takes it completely over the top. I mean young men trying to find a sane young woman who'd like to be in a relationship. It's a challenge.
Speaker 5: But now, if you were like me when I was a teenager alone, woman wise, girlfriend wise, I would be convinced by the Internet to blame it on other forces, not just my lack of game. Well, either the Jews or one.
Speaker 2: Party or the other, or some certain as certain as a person can be, that the Jews played no role in any lack of dating success. Sorry, Elmo, Right, that is a pretty funny bit.
Speaker 5: Yes, I was. Okay, So what do you mean it's total Michael says, yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm driving on the highway and I think I may have told you this.
Speaker 7: I got hit by a nineteen year old kid who was uninsured, had no car insurance whatsoever. So I end up taking my car to the body shop. I've got car insurance, so I'm fine. And so I got a rental car. I've been driving a rental car for the you know, a week or two. So they I go into the body shop and they say, okay, it's gonna be about ten thousand dollars to repair. This is what we're gonna have to pay but you have a five hundred dollars deductible, you'll pay five hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: I said, great.
Speaker 7: So nothing happens, and then like three days later, they say, hey, we need you to come back into the body shop.
Speaker 1: I come in. They've got a new estimate for me.
Speaker 7: They say, just so you know, the car's now going to be sixteen thousand dollars to repair. You're still going to pay five hundred dollars. I say, okay, fine. So I'm waiting waiting and I don't hear from these people, and so I call them.
Speaker 1: And say, hey, what's happening with my car.
Speaker 7: They said, well, we haven't heard from the insurance company, so we're waiting. The next day, I get a call from my insurance company. They say, oh, yeah, your car's totaled. We're just going to send you a check. And so I get a check for twenty three thousand dollars for my car, which I bought the car for twenty seven thousand dollars. And the point is is that cars have moved up so much in price that it is now when a car gets totaled or just you know, maybe dented or crash, they don't even prepare it anymore. They're just writing people checks. I had somebody explain this to me once, but my memory is vague. I can't imagine why they would say, no, we're not going to pay the fifteen to five to have it fixed.
Speaker 2: We'll just pay twenty three and you can call it good. I mean, that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 7: I guess this is happening a lot now, So sure does it work?
Speaker 5: Though? Since that other person didn't have insurance, your insurance is picking up the tab. Aren't they going to raise your rates?
Speaker 7: I hope not, But yeah, I had to pay. I was supposed to pay the five hundred dollars. I was just out of the cause.
Speaker 5: You know, I don't know if you ask, but like I when I, uh, what which which are my crashes? I've had so won my fault, the other's other people's fault in the last couple of years. I talked to my insurance guy and he said, yeah, I mean, it'd be in the long run, it'd be cheaper to just pay to fix it yourself. Because this is how much it's going to go up. If you like my motorcycle wreck, I paid eight grand out of pocket to fix my motorcycle because it would have cost more in the long run to have my insurance go up for all my vehicles. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was more familiar with the being shocked that they quote unquote totaled it in the era of low use car values, because what would happen is you'd get a ten thousand dollars estimate and your company'd say, well, your car's only worth ninety five hundred bucks, so it's total. Don't get it fixed. Here's the value. Go do whatever you want. I gave get that.
Speaker 5: But our executive producer Mike Hanson appears to be very animated to join this conversation for Somery Carbuff notably Carbuff. Yes, and he's having trouble getting his headphones situated car.
Speaker 2: It's very complicated. You got one on the right ear, one on the left ear.
Speaker 6: There's a cord.
Speaker 5: The whole fiction in your car thing is such a freaking scam. I mean, you have the tiniest dent in the left rear and they want to replace, well, we're gonna have to replace the pin striping, and then the plastic thing here and then the where it says Camaro or whatever it is on your car, and we got to get a new one of those two Why why do you have to get a new one of all of those things?
Speaker 2: You go to another place and they'll say, no, we don't have to do that.
Speaker 5: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: I did do this and reuse blah blah.
Speaker 5: I did no paint dent repair on one of my vehicles recently. And that's when they come out with these suction cups and everything to your house and pry out the dent the best they can and you could barely tell. And it cost me five hundred dollars on something that at the dealership they told me it was going to be eight grand, And for five hundred bucks, I had the dent pulled out and it's not perfect, but it's better than spending eight grand. Anyway. Here's a hands in the producer.
Speaker 1: A couple of things.
Speaker 2: First of all, I'd ask him to see it to suck the chrome off a trailer hitch, just to see if that's an actual thing. Wow, I've heard and I just don't know.
Speaker 5: Katie luckily does not know that expression. So yes, if.
Speaker 2: They, if they had powerful enough such an equipment. I wonder whether that is possible given the principles of metallurgy.
Speaker 5: And there are coarse gentlemen that will say there are some women that could remove the chrome from a trailer.
Speaker 2: Hitch, yes, which again would be you know, just forces at such a level that they would do terrible damage to say, the human body.
Speaker 5: I've never said that in anyone who said it to me. I have called the police, okay, back to handle. So in a circumstance such as this, there's a couple of things that you can do. And I've been down this path before. I had a car that was totaled and I told him no, and then they tried to give me a check and I said no, and so we got a bigger check because we had to talk about it a little bit. We had to negotiate some So, I mean I had to get a bigger check from them, and I got to keep the car. So if you start asking for things or demanding them, you don't have to just take the check, and you shouldn't accept the value that they put on the vehicle itself. So I would if you haven't cashed the check, Michael, I'd tell them to keep it and then say, hey, I want to come into the office and talk to you about this, and we'll determine what the value is of this car and see if you can't squeeze you play some additional funds out of them. You're a guy that last week told us the story about you actually contacted the state insurance commissioner or whatever frightened all lot of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, but help us understand if you know, why would the insurance company say no, no, we're not going to write a check for sixteen five hundred, We'll write your check for twenty three thousand instead. Aha, gotcha, I don't get it.
Speaker 5: It could be it could be what Hanson just explained there where they thought, if they want to negotiate, they're gonna get way more out of us than this. If we could just get this ended right now for twenty three grand, we're in, We're ahead. They might be thinking that is that your guest hands home?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't know. I'm just in terms of the settlement amount.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 8: My point is is that you just shouldn't accept whatever number they give you, even if unless it was beyond the price that you paid, and you'd be like, hell, yeah, let's party, let's let's go. I'm gonna go buy this car and have a really nice dinner tonight.
Speaker 5: I gotta admit I would have probably thought they've got a way to calculate this that they don't budge on. And they do, of course they do.
Speaker 8: They they've got at least, and my circumstances rather dated, but they they've got all kinds of resources to determine the value of a vehicle. But my point is is that you've got some additional things that you could bring up if you had whatever change you might have made to the car, whatever, I don't know. There's all kinds of different arguments that you can make, and at least it's worth having a conversation with them. And again, they want to close the case. Here's the leverage that you've got is they want to close it as soon as possible. They're trying to get rid of you and move on, right, So if you don't accept then they have to sit there and go, well, what's the god my boss can be so bis to me right now, right, But I got to get this guy to close this thing out. So I mean, if you're satisfied with that money, then great, then take it. My point is, don't be satisfied, don't accept it. And get as much back as you possibly can.
Speaker 2: Okay, Hansen before we wrap this up here, not only a big car guy, you're a big music fan. So everybody's starting with Hanson or I can go first if you want to think about it, favorite car or driving related song. If you can't settle on one, you can go with two favorite car or driving related song. Hanson, do you have an answer right along?
Speaker 5: Oh, there's so many. I will go with a passenger side by Wilco.
Speaker 2: Oh. Oh, yeah, you know I'm gonna go. I gotta get go with two very different moods. Number one racing in the streets, Bruce Co Champion, Highway Star Deep Purple.
Speaker 5: I don't know that song, Katie.
Speaker 7: You got a couple of Oh boy, I really I can't think of one off the top of my head.
Speaker 6: I know that's awful, but I can't.
Speaker 5: There's a great Johnny Cash song, you know, the Johnny Cash song where he talks about working at the the GM factory and he stole parts over the years. Yes, he assembled a car that was It was a fifty five, fifty six, fifty seven, fifty eight, fifty nine. He assembled his car from parts over years. He stole I would go if ten year old me would choose hot Rod Lincoln because I love that song. As a fantastic grown up me probably go Tom Petty running Down a Dream Love.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a good one, Michael.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was singing running Down a Dream too, but.
Speaker 2: Oh you lie.
Speaker 5: Chitty Chitty Bang bang, probably yours.
Speaker 2: That's a winner.
Speaker 1: That is a good one, though.
Speaker 6: That's the one.
Speaker 1: Take it, Michael, Little Deuce, Coop by the Beach, preat.
Speaker 2: Fantastic classic there classic, three cards in a islid dust or something. I don't know.
Speaker 7: Well, I got that money. You can buy a lot of chocolate pie. I guess that's it.