Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio podcast. Good morning everyone, It's Tuesday, June tenth. Welcome to Morning Run. I'm Amy Roebuck.
Speaker 2: And I'm TJ. Holmes and on the Run this morning. Another night of clashes in the streets of Los Angeles, and another day of politicians blaming each other for causing.
Speaker 1: The unrest, and a highly anticipated day today in the Ditty trial, the cross examination of Jane is expected to begin, but first the judge says he will address Ditty's motion for a mistrial. Plus, it's been very hard to keep up with the Blake Lively Justin Baldoni back and forth, but this latest development is worth noting. A court has tossed out his lawsuit against her.
Speaker 2: Also on the Run this morning, RFK Junior just fired a small group of folks at the CDC, just seventeen people actually, but arguably they are seventeen of the most important people at the CDC. Also a massive egg recall. Twenty million eggs are out there somewhere and need to be tossed. Exactly where are they? Also, Apple has gone and done it again, created a new iPhone feature we didn't even know. We can't live without. This time it's liquid glass and Robot is gonna explain that later because I read I don't get it yet.
Speaker 1: Sounds cool, it sounds amazing, right, It sounds like I want some of that. Not really sure what it is, but we're gonna do our best to explain. We do begin our Tuesday morning run though in LA where another night of flashbangs, rubber bullets, and car fires all happened in downtown Los Angeles. Law enforcement in riot gear clashing with demonstrators for a fourth straight night, some through things at police, including fireworks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this all started, you remember last Friday with protests in downtown over recent immigration rates taking place around the LA area, but sporadic moments of not so peaceful protesting in the beginning gave way to more widespread which California officials squarely blame on President Trump.
Speaker 1: The President called in seven hundred Marines and a couple thousand National Guard to assist, but Governor Gavin Newsom and LA Mayor Karen Bass accused him of intentionally creating chaos in the streets protest. I guess immigration rates have been popping up all around the country in recent days. Atlanta, San Francisco. We even saw one here in New York right outside of our window. Got a little messy for a little bit. A lot of police in the streets, a lot of folks shouting with signs. It was peaceful, but a little concerning at a moment.
Speaker 2: And we speak of it sometimes, Robes, as we record, we are here in Lower Manhattan, just a few blocks from where the ditty trial takes away. We were around here about the federal buildings in the courthouse right here, and we're not kidding folks. Literally from where we're sitting, all we have to do is lean back and look out this window, and that's where these arrests and the clashes were taking place here in New York yesterday. They expect another major one to hear in New York as well. Meanwhile, while all this was going on in California, the state did what they said they were going to do. They sued Trump over his use of the National Guard. The state Attorney general announced the lawsuit yesterday. State wants a judge to declare the president's use of the National Guard unconstitutional and prevent Trump from making any more call ups Wherebes, you were joking with me yesterday about man, it seems like California suits all the time. How many lawsuits? And CNN at least put this number together and I said it, I think it's a little lower than I anticipated.
Speaker 1: Really only twenty four lawsuits against President Trump? That but how many months has he been in office just since January? Okay, so if we're going at this rate, four month? Oh my, this I mean, I don't even know how everyone keeps it straight, because for every suit, there's a countersuit, and then a judge throws something out, and then it gets appealed, and then it goes to a higher court, and eventually it goes to the Supreme Court, which throws it back down to the lower courts. I'm my head is constantly spinning.
Speaker 2: But to the question, everybody is wondering the debates you hear of Governor Newsom in California saying that the present and it does not have the right to do this. Well, legal experts will kind of lean in the direction of President Trump on this one. He does have the right under something you'll hear about called Title ten. The language says that he can use them anytime he considers it necessary to repel the invasion, suppress the rebellion or execute those laws. Now it goes into some more detail. But the president has used this before, not this president, but it's rare during the civil rights era when you go against the States wishes to bring in the National Guard when things were going on during the Civil rights area so era. So yeah, he does it the legal right.
Speaker 1: To president of the United States of America.
Speaker 2: So he does in need Gavin's permission.
Speaker 1: No, and that back and forth between those two. Let's not even get into it. Arrest me, fine, we should arrest him. Go ahead, I'm gonna call you on it. It's ridiculous to watch them back and forth. It's like he lost his barring or his sparring excuse me with musk. So he had to have another oh my all in front of me.
Speaker 2: Oh, we will continue here on the run and get away from Trump refuse this time still in DC though, where the Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Junior, has removed every single member of the group that makes vaccine recommendations for this country. That group sounds important to me. They have seventeen members and all of them right now robes are.
Speaker 1: Gone, fired, retired, whatever you want to say. RFK Junior got rid of them. So the CDC's vaccine advisors, these are the seventeen folks who were talking about. They make significant decisions about who receives vaccines and when they receive them, and insurance companies are required to cover the vaccines that are recommended by this now fired panel. RFK Junior wrote that a clean sweep is needed to re establish public confidence in vaccine science. The group was set to meet two weeks from now, so Kennedy has very limited time to choose a completely new panel because he says this meeting is going to go on on his schedule.
Speaker 2: Well, medical groups and public health folks across the country quickly responded, calling Kennedy's move an extreme and reckless decision. The AMA said that Kennedy is upending a transparent process that has saved countless lives, and the American Academy of Pediatrics chimed in going to a part of an escalating effort by the administration to silence independent medical expertise and stoked distrust in life saving vaccines.
Speaker 1: All Right. Next up on the Run, a federal judge dismissed actor and director Justin Baldoni's four hundred million dollar counter lawsuit against Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds. Baldoni was suing the couple and their publicist for defamation that included damages and lost future income.
Speaker 2: As judge also throughout Baldoni's libel lawsuit against The New York Times. He was accusing The Times of working with Lively to smear him. He filed the suit several weeks after Lively suit him and others associated with the film they both starred in, It Ends.
Speaker 1: With Us That was a hit movie wasn't and an amazing book Yes.
Speaker 2: Lively claims Baldoni and his team coordinated a cant paying to ruin her reputation after she spoke up about alleged bad behavior by Baldoni towards her and other women on the set of that movie.
Speaker 1: After the judge's decision, Lively took to social media, writing, like so many others, I felt the pain of a retaliatory lawsuit, including the manufactured shame that tries to break us. Lively went on to say she is more resolved than ever to stand for every woman's right to have a voice in protecting themselves.
Speaker 2: New York Times said it was grateful that the judge saw the suit for what it was, a meritless attempt to stifle honest reporting. Baldoni has, though until June twenty third, to refile some of his claims lively in Baldoni's trials, set to take place in March of next year. I can't keep up. Initially, I just thought there was a bunch of mudslinging about some I don't know. Some of the stuff that happens behind the scenes came to light, how they plant stories and how publicists, and I thought it was just that. But now I didn't know all this stuff was going on a countersuit and the New York Times thing I forgot about.
Speaker 1: Yep, And now we have all the way until night's March for more headlines to pop up until the trial actually takes place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's just get through one trial at the.
Speaker 1: Time, exactly, all right, And speaking of that, let's begin our next leg of our run in Lower Manhattan for the highly anticipated and potentially tense day of questioning in the Ditty trial. The cross examination of Jane is expected to start first thing on this Tuesday morning. Jane is testifying under that pseudonym to protect her identity and has been on the stand since last Thursday. She is the former girlfriend of Sean Ditty Combs and one of four victims that the government has built its entire case on.
Speaker 2: Oh She spent the day yesterday testifying and sometimes pretty graphic and cringey detail how her relationship with Combs devolved into one in which she felt obligated to perform those so called freak off s. Much of the testimony yesterday surrounded an incident that happened just last year. Jane claims she got into a fight with Colmbs at her home. Now. She admitted she got angry and started being physical with him, but robe she said, he and punched her back, repeatedly kicked her and put her in a choke.
Speaker 1: Hold, and she claims that at one point Diddy kick doors and several doors off the hinges trying to get to her. She eventually escaped the home and hid outside for two hours, hoping he'd leave. Wow, is that not a theme we're hearing from women saying they hid for hours from him? So Diddy was apparently still there when she finally went back in, and according to Jane, he told her, You're not going to ruin my night and that she should put some ice on her injuries and put on an outfit, and a short time later, Jane says a male escort showed up and she was expected to once again perform with him in front of Ditty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was just one of a number of incredible stories she relayed on the witness stand. Another interesting detail rogues that surveillance video hotel surveillance video we all saw when he came out. It seemed like we could all remember where we were at the time we first saw it. She was with him when it first came out, said they were together at his home. Son I on the door, said something has happened and did he left? The next thing she knew the family and friends. They were all gathering trying to figure things out. Also, she ended her testimony with this robes I think we've seen some of the prosecutors, some of the attorneys kind of end on sometimes a dramatic note. But the prosecutor finished up by asking her this, sitting here today, how do you feel about Sean? Her response, I just pray for his continued healing and I pray for peace for him.
Speaker 1: Wow, unexpected After everything she detailed, it's hard to get your head around the fact that sounds like she still loves him.
Speaker 2: You know, we've heard that from a few of the victim There is something Every once in a while you hear something that there's still some kind of sympathy or love or not ill will I would say, towards him at times.
Speaker 1: It's incredible, and that's remarkable when you have this in here, and I actually some of the things she said that she said to him, it's just heartbreaking her having to tell Diddy, I am not an animal, I am not a horn star. These experiences are desensitizing sex For me, my spirit and my soul is tired, and yet to have nothing but peace and well wishes for him, that's that's remarkable.
Speaker 2: And we should note as well, Yes, the judge is going to address the motion for a mistrial. Did he's team assport over the weekend. The prosecutors were given yesterday to respond, and so look, nobody's necessarily expecting a mistrial, but you never know. So we should get that answer from the judge this morning.
Speaker 1: All right, anything is possible, certainly. Next up on the run a massive egg recall to tell you about nearly two million dozen eggs have been recalled after the CDC announced those eggs have been linked to a seal Manela outbreak. That's a crazy number to get your head around. Actually it's one point seven million dozen eggs, which equals to twenty million eggs.
Speaker 2: It's just why do they do it this way? Because they're sold in containers. But while just give us the egg count versus the carton count, is that how they keep up?
Speaker 1: Fine, and we can go with twenty million eggs. Gues Well, I was trying to see what the language was because it is a confusing. I've never had to say two million dozen eggs. Huh. All right, well, this outbreak has so far sickened at least seventy nine people. Twenty one had to be hospitalized.
Speaker 2: The eggs are Brown cage free eggs and Brown Certified organic eggs from August Egg Company, but they've been sold under different brand names and to restaurants across the country. They were distributed as far back as February across nine states. They have sell by dates that extend from early to mid June. States involved California and Nevada, Washington, Arizona, Wyoming, New Mexico, Nebraska, Indiana, Illinois, A full list of brands and plant number codes affected on the CDC and C on the FDA and CDC websites. Robes I asked you about this story. Your reaction this I started to put this in the earlier tease. It's a nightmare, is what you said. Yes, the eggs are.
Speaker 1: All over the plan right They've been sold in walmarts, in in restaurants. I mean, it's just so hard to know, and they're in different brand names. So really, really, if you think you might have these eggs in your refrigerator, because that was one of the things the CDC said, they absolutely believe people have these egg cartons in their refrigerators right now, so please throw them out or you can return them to the story you bought them from for a refund. But again, those website will tell you if you have the affected eggs. Salmonella. By the way, the symptoms include fever, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and while most people recover within a week, children, people with compromised immune systems, pregnant folks, those over sixty five at risk for more serious complications, even death. Luckily, so far, no one has died in this outbreak, but certainly a pretty dire warning from the FEDS.
Speaker 2: All right, well, well stay with us here on this Tuesday Morning run. When we come back, we have lost an absolute music original and a music legend. Sly Stone has passed away. Also, once again, Apple has done it. They have just made this I pass I'm reading on obsolete, and I already need an upgrade. We continue now on this Tuesday Morning run with music pioneer sly Stone. He has passed away at the age of eighty two. A family statement said, after a prolonged battle with COPD and other underlying health issues, sly passed away peacefully, surrounded by his three children, his closest friend, and his extended family. We will take solace in knowing that his extraordinary musical legacy will continue to resonate and inspire for generations to come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that musical legacy. Frontman for the legendary and pioneering rock group Sly and the Family Stone, sly whose real name was actually Sylvester Stewart, formed the group with his brother and his sister all the way back in the mid sixties. In nineteen sixty seven, they exploded in popularity when they released Dance to the Music So.
Speaker 2: That one really put them on the map in an international way, but they were able to blend several different music genres. They followed up danced to the music with a bunch of stuff that still resonates to this day. Obviously everyday people.
Speaker 1: That song I Feel Like is on every commercial on television, Like I just hear it constantly.
Speaker 2: That that's got to be on a list one of the best songs ever made. It It's a family of Fish. That's a good one, amazing, thank you for letting me be myself. That was a nice funk hit. And then probably my favorite is if You Want Me to Stay. It has a nice bassline, it's a funky song.
Speaker 1: We should listen to all of his incredible music throughout the day to day. We do that oftentimes when someone passes, it's nice to remember you.
Speaker 2: Know, I have been playing it and normally we would have been blasting it. But your kids are back from college.
Speaker 1: Yes, my kids are back from college, and so we have to use AirPods now. And speaking of Apple products, for the final leg of our run, your Apple phone is getting a new look with some very cool sounding features. You're gonna have to wait until the fall, though, before they're installed. This is the first redesign for Apple software in more than a decade, and Apple is calling this new software liquid Glass.
Speaker 2: Robes Robes describes it as a luminous, frosted glass appearance with subtle touches of color. The liquid part with the way menus and buttons respond to your touch, they will sometimes break apart into new menus. You kind of get that kind of kind of blows up, or it comes out of your finger into.
Speaker 1: The new water. Yeah, like some sort of a cool yeah feature.
Speaker 2: It's still going to have light and dark modes to your phone, but there will be a brand new all clear mode that gives a semi transparent appearance to your phone.
Speaker 1: Yes, some people have complained who've seen it that it might be hard for people who are hard of seeing like me, to actually discern what you're looking at. So I'm actually really curious to see if I'm gonna need glasses even more than I already do to use my phone. But it's not just your phone, by the way, that's getting this new look. All Apple devices will get the new liquid glass look, from Max to iPads to Apple TVs, even your Apple Watch. This is the first time Apple has done a complete redesign across all of its products. Usually just goes to specific products. They're so good at marketing, they're so good at making you want it. It's also has some other improved AI features. There's gonna be a live translation, so if you're facetiming with someone in another country in real time, it will give you the translation in your language.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be a game changer for ninety day I was thinking the same thing.
Speaker 1: We watched ninety Day Fiance and they have to take all this time to talk into a phone and then send the phone over. This is huge for folks who have international relationships. You know, congratulations on this new upgrade.
Speaker 2: This is so But now I got to upgrade everything so and by fall. You know, I just got this iPad a month ago. You're telling me I gotta go get another one. It's it's now old.
Speaker 1: That's what that's what they do. That's how they keep their business model booming.
Speaker 2: And let me guess. None of these new products come with a charger, do.
Speaker 1: They Probably you get to have to get a different charger. Who no, No, that was not mentioned. That was not mentioned. I'm not sure that's what it is. But I did like what The New York Times wrote. It was so funny. Wait where is it that they wrote it? Because it made me laugh? Oh? Here it is. This was their headline at a time when most of the tech industry is building new artificial intelligence systems into our devices. Apple is focusing on making its products look prettier, but there is some new AI involved as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, folks, before you go, man, I don't even like this quote of the day. Now, I'm in a bad mood because of Apple, and I got upgrade and so here we go.
Speaker 1: This is your quote.
Speaker 2: I don't know where I got this one cold of the day. Here it is, folks. I don't work for acceptance. I am what I am. If you like it, that's nice. If not, I couldn't care less. I'm not sure I got that from. I should know where I got this. This is I think this is a famous quote. But it makes sense. But it's so hard to do, isn't it. We all want to be liked, we all want to be accepted.
Speaker 1: It sounds like something that you can put into practice, or you have put into practice. I have not put this into practice whatsoever. I absolutely work for acceptance, and I and I could care a lot. Wait, I could care a lot more.
Speaker 2: You could care more.
Speaker 1: I could care more. I do care more you do. I wish I couldn't care less. Folks.
Speaker 2: You get the idea here, Folks, I say the whole apple things got that's all twisted.
Speaker 1: All right, We'll read the quote for you one more time, for those of us who need to not be such people pleasers.
Speaker 2: I don't work for acceptance. I am when I am. If you like it, that's nice. If not, I couldn't care less. So hope you find a way to use that at some point during your day to day. But of course we always appreciate you running with us.
Speaker 1: I'm teaching, and I'm Amy Robock. Have a great Tuesday, everybody,