Speaker 1: Folks, we are returning with a classic episode for you. Travel back with us to two thousand and one, where something gripped the nation. There was hysteria about it, and then people promptly forgot all about the anthrax letter attacks.
Speaker 2: Yep, short memory sometimes, But I'm right there too, Ben, I hadn't thought about the two thousand and one anthrax letter attacks, which is fun to say in a very long time.
Speaker 3: There's weird stuff the saga of these letters and the anthrax and the strain and how it got there and whether or not there was inside government stuff going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's also there's also a crazy context because this occurs just days after the events of September eleventh, two thousand and one, very very strange time for the new cycle tragedy for the nation. Even back in twenty twenty when we originally recorded this, folks were asking who was actually responsible.
Speaker 2: I seem to remember at the time kind of feeling this sense of like adding insult to injury with this, like after everyone was so you know, turned upside down because of nine to eleven, that this just represented like a further just destabilization, like everything's just going haywire, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and people were worried about possible false flags or trying to amp the country up into a war or even you know, to MAT's earlier point, inside forces striking out for internal division, and some of the anthrax was fake by the way, also we learned later. Anyway, this is the episode. We can't wait to hear your thoughts, and if you can solve the mystery, we'd love for you to solve it for us, because I don't think we do in this episode. But tell us what you think. We'll be back after a word from our sponsors.
Speaker 4: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies, history is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn the stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome back to the show.
Speaker 1: My name is nol Our Rider Die Matt Frederick is most likely playing Best Fiends while he's on vacation. They called me Ben. We are joined as always with our super producer Paul Mission Control Deck and most importantly, you are You are here and that makes this stuff they don't want you to know. This is a very interesting episode. It's one that has fascinated Good Pal Matt for a number of years. This episode is something that he cares deeply about. So we're gonna do our best to We're gonna do our best to make them proud.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Matt, you blasted right by this whole Best Fiends business. We got a bombshell yesterday that Matt Frederick has reached level seven hundred and sixty four in the mobile game Best Fiends. And I don't know whether to be proud of him or concerned for him.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's you know, he's nothing if not a passionate dude. But I was likewise surprised. Now, you know, Noel, if there's one thing that longtime listeners have learned from stuff they don't want you to know, it's this. You can blast by a lot of headlines. You can get a lot of buried leads. The mainstream news is a fickle, ephemeral thing. Some stories that seem pretty innocuous can receive international attention. Like remember when the world was obsessed over figuring out what color address was on Facebook?
Speaker 2: What was the determination ultimately beij was it? What were the choices? And how do you even interpret this? Ben? With your color deficiency, did you feel that doubt of that story.
Speaker 1: No, I wouldn't have participated even if known white color. I think it was it was blue, or it was gold or as black. There was a whole thing. But there are other stories, though, tremendously important stories that seem to fade from the spotlight, and they're only followed up on by people in specialized internet forums or in specialized trade publications. For example, this, this is weird.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Today's story comes to us from josh P. Josh P, you emailed us to ask about the anthrax attacks of two thousand and one. Now, right as we say that, a lot of us in the audience are going, huh, anthrax. I kind of remember that, right, I. I know it's a thing, But what do you mean? Well, to answer that question, we have to first tell you what anthrax is.
Speaker 2: So here are the facts. Yeah, So, just to get it out of the way. No, not the thrash metal band from the nineties with that ball dude with the amazing goatee that you may have seen on episodes of Beavis and butthead the CDC describes anthrax as a serious infectious disease that's caused by something referred to as gram positive rod shaped bacteria referred to as Bacillis anthracis, and it is something that can absolutely sicken people when it's inhaled or when they are they come into contact with infected animals or you know, food stuffs. Another way of looking at it is that it's a spore forming bacillus that is absolutely deadly to humans. And there are three main forms of transmission. Cutaneous which is when you contract it through the skin. Gastro Intestinal which of course is when you would ingest it when you know, eating a contaminated food product. And then there is pulmonary, which is mainly what we're going to be talking about today, which is when it is inhaled.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's that's correct. So so a lot of countries have stockpiled anthrax for a long time. When you hear people talking about bioweapon research, they're usually referring to things like anthrax. Because picture anthrax like picture it like an agricultural product. With the right know how, you can grow it, you can groom it, and you can change it into various various mediums of consumption, right like you said, with oral or pulmonary or cutaneous inhalation or ingestion. So behind the scenes, while everybody is worrying about what color addresses or what the Kardashians are doing, or you know what the newest season of your favorite television show is, governments and private partnerships around the world are constantly experimenting with diseases. They're refining them. You're usually going to hear about these in terms of national defense, right, like, like I'm sure you know if you went to the CDC, they would say, we're not making bioweapons, We're researching vaccines, right, We're trying to save people, not harm them, That's right.
Speaker 2: And you might hear a term like weaponized grade you know, like weapons grade plutonium or weaponized anthrax, and that just means it's refined to the point of being more easily dispersed, you know, through say air ducts, you know in a building for example, or you know, it's when I say refined, I literally mean made into a fine substance that can be released and become very very dangerous because it is transmitted through you know, airflow in the case of like a building or even outdoors. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And when we talk about these experts who are working on depending on on what you believe, working on either weaponizing diseases or on creating cures for these diseases. They also work on plans on scenarios, right, They work on what's called emergency preparedness plans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the CDC on their website does have an emergency preparedness plan in place for an anthrax attack, but in my opinion, and I'm no expert, it seems pretty broad and kind of vague, almost more of a stop, drop and roll situation than actually some sort of larger government response plan that's in place. And it's interesting. In more recent times, focus truly seems to have shifted away from you know, bioterrorism protection and more towards pandemic preparedness. Though based on our current situation, that does not seem to have worked out quite so well, so you know, the jury is still out on that. But bioterrorism was much more of a top of mind thing during these attacks that we're going to talk about today.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, fellow conspiracy realist, you may remember this story from several years ago, almost twenty years ago now, beginning on September eighteenth, two thousand and one, just a week after literally just a week after the infamous terrorist attacks. On September eleventh, two thousand and one, someone started mailing letters laced with anthrax. They sent these to several places AB, NBCCBS, the New York Post, American Media. That's that's such a benign name. American Media is probably best known as the publisher of the National Enquirer, a quite popular tabloid here in the US. And they also sent someone sent these sent anthrax leased letters to members of Congress.
Speaker 2: That's correct, two Democratic Senators Tom Dashel and Patrick Lahey. On October second, two thousand and one, the gentleman at the American Media building in Florida, which is again the parent company of the National Inquirer and also The Sun, a photo editor by the name of Robert Stevens, opened an innocuously labeled envelope and was exposed to anthrax. There were various methods in these letters of dispersal, but like some of them were more successful than others. And I believe this is one where he pulled something out of the envelope and it actually kind of ejected powder into his face and he really took a deep whiff of this substance.
Speaker 1: Yep, absolutely, that's correct. Two days later, October fourth, two thousand and one, Robert Stevens is diagnosed with what's called inhalational anthrax, meaning he ingested it just the way you described nol. Robert Stevens dies the next day, October fifth, two thousand and one, and three days later, authorities start running tests on his office, on his workspace, and they find that his computer keyboard also tests positive for anthrax. This was only the first confirmed death overall so far as we know today. In twenty twenty, the anthrax attacks of two thousand and one left seventeen people infected and five people died. Five people died from exposure to anth This became a international story, and the problem with some of these international stories is that for one reason or another, copycats come into play.
Speaker 2: That's right. There was another copycat crime that occurred when someone else mailed fake anthrax in the form of just a harmless white powder, possibly baby powder or something like that to the New York Times newsroom, and it was opened by a reporter named Judith Miller. And it really just goes to show, because of what you said, Ben, that this truly just was a massive story because it was in the wake of nine to eleven, where people were just so on edge already and just really believing that terrorism was coming at us from all directions, and the close proximity to that attack on the World Trade Center buildings really got people freaked out, and the FBI acted accordingly, launching what they refer to as one of the largest and most complex investigations in the history of law enforcement and involved multiple agencies and thousands of hours of investigative time.
Speaker 1: So what did they find. Well, we have to remember, as you said, that this occurred right after nine to eleven. It is impossible to convey just how alert, how tense, how crisis ready government agencies were. You have to remember, folks, that war was in the air way before the anthrax. It was already floating around, and war is its own sort of infectious weapon, right, its own sort of disease. The FBI scrambled and assembled what I think is a terribly named task force, the Amerthrax Task Force. We didn't write that, they wrote that.
Speaker 2: It just does not really right off the tug, does it. But you know, name aside, it was a serious business. Roughly twenty five to thirty full time investigators from the FBI and the US Postal Inspection Service and multiple other law enforcement agencies, as well as federal prosecutors from the District of Columbia and the Justice Department Counter Terrorism Section. And as we said before, thousands of investigator work hours were involved. That led to ten thousand witness interviews on six different continents, execution of eighty search warrants, and the recovery of more than six thousand items of potential evidence during this investigation.
Speaker 1: And you heard that right, six different continents. So that means that the Amerithrax Task Force literally asked people everywhere except for Antarctica. Somehow the folks in Antarctica slipped under the radar. This case also ended up issuing more than five seven hundred and fifty subpoenas for grand juries. They collected five thousand, seven hundred and thirty environmental samples from sixty different places they were on the search. This this investigation, in addition to being very expensive, was very thorough. Here's here's what they found. Here's how it shakes out. So FBI agents trace the first wave of letters to a single postmark. It's these letters came from Trenton, New Jersey, and that's the first five letters. They had a theme of sorts. You know, the letters weren't blank when people opened the envelope, there was something written in there. And we've got we've got the text of these. Let's let's maybe start with the letter sent to New York Post and NBC.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And by the way, if you want, you can look up images of these. They've been cataloged and photographed and you can see them. They're all handwritten in kind of a weird, childish script. It's very Serial Killer esque, honestly, the way the way they appear, and the notes really lean into that. Even further so. The one said to the New York Posts and the NBC News had this note nine to eleven oh one, this is next. Take penicillin now. Cool pro tip death to America, death to Israel. Allah is great. Okay, it seems to have escalated there to a little different place. But I appreciate the advice about taking penicillin. I think that's actually really helpful.
Speaker 1: You know, they also misspelled penicillin, by the way, it's true.
Speaker 2: But also by the way, you know, people think of anthrax and they think, like, I don't know, your mind immediately goes to some sort of face melting, you know, bio terror product, and it really just sickens you. It can make you nauseous, and it's the respiratory thing that can obviously kill you in the same way that COVID nineteen can. I mean, it can escalate much more quickly. But it is treatable with regular antibiotics. You know, it's not a death sentence always. It's caught in enough time, so it's not some kind of magical thing. It literally is just a disease that can be treated with the antibiotics.
Speaker 1: And we should note instantly, you know, the FBI investigators had to say, well, is this a person writing English as a second language, you know, or the ESL. Is that why penicilan is misspelled? And of course you know, there was a lot of anti Muslim sentiment at the time. The letters sent to Senators Dashel and Lee he said said very similar things. They said, you cannot stop us. We have this anthrax. You die now, are you afraid? Death to America, death to Israel Allah is great. So clearly they're coming from the same source, just based on the language there. You know, it is very difficult to describe the level of panic that occurs here. We have to remember this is again a week after the largest attack on American soil in recent US history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, I mean, obviously the first go to is to investigate Al Qaeda. The White House pressured then FBI Director Robert Muller to establish the letters were a second wave of attacks relating to nine to eleven. And it's always tough when you know, the brass kind of tells you what results to get, you know what I mean, because the question is like, you know, sure we can read these and say, okay, is it an ESL situation or is it someone trying to write in that voice as to create that effect, you know what I mean, to maybe cause that kind of panic. So yeah, obviously that didn't pan out, this notion that this was in fact the second wave, but that was whatever one thought. I mean, it was just the first place your mind would go. Hence the hysteria that was just you know, in the air in our country at that time. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Muller was definitely under pressure, but you know, from his estimation, the facts just weren't there. There wasn't there was one potential link. One of the nine to eleven terrorists was exposed to anthrax at some point, but that was that was pretty much all they could find. The initial actual suspects of the investigation ended up all being domestic US residents. There were probably about one hundred people or so who would have the know how, just to know how alone, just the expertise, not even the motivation of the opportunity. The FBI first turned to a man named Stephen J. Hatfil. Doctor Hatfhil is alive today. He is a pathologist, he's a bioweapons expert, and the FBI ruined his life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for all intents and purposes. In mid two thousand and two, the FBI served him with a search warrant of his home, wearing hazmat suits, investigating whether he was in fact this anthrax killer, as was dubbed in the media at the time. He was at that point considered a major person of interest. His phone was tapped, he got fired from his job at Science Applications International Corporation. Yeah, like you said, Ben, I mean this really, you know, in the terms of the court of public opinion and just his other associations professionally, this absolutely railroaded him. He did ultimately get exonerated. He was very, very public exoneration. There's a great clip of him where he says, and now I can look my fellow Americans in the eye and say unequivocally I am not the anthrac killer, you know. And he definitely got some money where his mouth was, in the form of five point eight million from the Justice Department and in two other undisclosed settlements from some of these other agencies that were involved. It was very clear that they were acting on spurious evidence at best and made really jump the gun on nailing this guy. And the way they did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that you bring up the court of public opinion. One of those groups that reached an undisclosed settlement with him was Conde Nast. It's a huge player in the media. They own Reddit for instance. So Hathhil. Luckily, if you're listening, doctor Hail, we are glad that you were able to be exonerated for a crime that you clearly did not commit. But it's tough to recover from that sort of stuff. He was ultimately found innocent of this crime. The primary conclusion of the FBI, the official story, is this. They concluded that a scientist named Bruce Ivans, acting alone, was the source of the entirety of the anthrax attacks, and he has if you're a profiler, he has all of the right red flags in all of the right places. He worked directly with anthrax. He was one of those people that we mentioned at the top of the show who develops vaccines. So he was working with anthrax officially to develop vaccines in case some other government had a weaponized strain that they deployed in the US or in a battlefield.
Speaker 2: And Ben wasn't he even involved in the investigation to a degree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he volunteered, right, He volunteered to test samples. He sent samples from his own lab. He was around fifty five years old when the anthrax attacks occurred. He said, you know, I will help you determine the origin of the powder. Because everybody in the scientific community, everybody in the FBI, they knew only a few people in the world would even understand the science evolved here. So remember that part for later, folks. This guy volunteered to help the FBI determine the origin of the powder.
Speaker 2: And let's not forget how much pressure the FBI was under, especially since this public exoneration and having that egg on their face from wasting all those millions of dollars and thousands of hours, you know, focusing on the wrong purp. Doctor Ivans was literally right under their noses. I mean he was working, you know, in their labs essentially. I mean he was an agent of the government, and he, uh, you know, was kind of a goofball. He was he was sort of a kook like. He was described as being a bit arrogant and something of a flamboyant figure. And you know, that was a term that was thrown around. I'm not sure if if that's meant to be a pejorative or just that he was kind of a little bit of kookie. That's kind of the vibe that I got, but not necessarily a red flag in terms that he seemed like some kind of sociopath. He would send these like chipper emails with bad dad jokes, which I can get behind, as he talked through the dangers of anthrax. But he was by some seen as being a bit disturbed.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's correct, behind those puns, behind those cheerful exclamation marks and tangents in his emails which the FBI obtained. Of course, he had a lot of trauma. His therapist said that he had a traumatic childhood and was described as disturbing, and he himself as an adult seemed to be disturbed. He was a married man, but back in nineteen seventy six he was jilted by a fellow grad student who would go on to be a colleague in this field, a doctor Nancy Haigwood. And since he was jilted again back in nineteen seventy six, he had apparently become obsessed with her old sorority Kapa Kapa Gamma, and sororities in general. One of boss. Yeah, yeah, he would sit outside of sorority houses, just sit in this car, and he would, you know, when he met a colleague who was affiliated with a sorority, he would instantly start, I don't know, like pressuring them, cracking down. He got weird with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But there's also part of me that like, is he just socially awkward and maybe a bit on the spectrum, or is this stockery kind of rapee behavior in saying what's your secret password? What's your secret handshake? It seems kind of like a goofball way of flirting, like saying, ha ha, what's your secret handshake? You know what I mean? As opposed to something genuinely creepy. But he was described as as having an interest intellectually in secret things.
Speaker 1: Yeah he uh this this recollection comes from one of his former bosses, doctor Priscilla Weirrick. She had a she was in a sorority in college chi Omega, and she said that he was doing exactly what you described, nol. He was always saying, you know, what's your what's your secret password, what's your secret handshake? So she thought that he was just maybe, as you said, a guy was a little bit off, brilliant but a little bit awkward who was really interested in secret things. The person we mentioned earlier, doctor Nancy Hagwood, is the person who actually brought doctor Bruce even to the attention of the FBI. So what was their official conclusion. We'll tell you after a word from our sponsor and we're back. So Noel, officially, there's no reason for us to look into this for stuff they don't want you to know, because the FBI has an official conclusion.
Speaker 2: Right, Nothing I trust more than an official FBI conclusion. Ben, Let me tell you so. Yeah, it's true. Today, the FBI's official position is that doctor Bruce Ivans was a lone wolf acted without any influence outside of his own troubled mind, and that he executed these anthrax attacks alone. And there's some things that check out here. He had the know how, he had the access, he had the opportunity to do these things, but he never can. And to boot he's not in prison. Doctor Bruce Ivans took his own life. He was discovered on July twenty seventh, two thousand and eight, unconscious in his home and taken to the hospital. He had overdosed, apparently on Thailand. All three, I think is what it's called. It's a combination of tilanol and codeine that you'd get for a toothache or a minor surgery, but taken in large doses, is actually the tile in all that kills you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep. He died at Frederick Memorial Hospital on July twenty ninth, two thousand and eight. The FBI had found their bad guy. They would never have to investigate further. They established, to their you know, to their satisfaction, the timeline. They established that he did, as you said, have the expertise. They established that he did have the opportunity do what a note, by the way, there was no official autopsy there's not one. There's not one on the record, because again, there's this pressure we got to close the case. You know, it's it's something that's very familiar to fans of shows like The Wire. The FBI found their guy, but their guy didn't have a day in court.
Speaker 2: No, if Ivan's dead, the FBI would never have to prove their case to a jury. And we're going to get into, you know, what their case was as we progress with this episode. But what if Ben, what if the official story kind of peters out in eight What if another story begins because the case against Bruce Ivans isn't nearly as ironclad as the news media and the press conferences and briefings from the FBI would have had viewers and citizens of the United States believe.
Speaker 1: You see, one thing that was missing from the FBI's case, one of several things was a real motive. There wasn't one established. And this means that in the almost a decade between when these attacks occurred and when this podcast publishes, theories have proliferated. Speculation thrives even now about what actually happened. The big question, the big what if here is what if after millions of dollars and thousands of hours. The FBI nailed the wrong man. Here's where it gets crazy. No, let's like motivation, right. I love that you pointed out the flamboyant thing, but the FBI didn't ever have like a clear discernible reason.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And another thing we know from like murder shows is you know, some murders don't have to have a motive. It's not like a requirement. But with such an analytical guy like this and such a pointed, targeted attack, a motive. I would like to hear a little bit more about a motive, you know what I mean? Like, I mean, these were very specific individuals, politicians, news outlets that these letters were sent to, seemingly for what you know, we really just don't have the guy just crack. And if so, why such a specific, targeted and pointed attack. Again, we're not owed a motive. It's not a necessity to you know, convict somebody of a crime. The possible motivations, like the idea that he mailed anthrax NBC is a way of punishing them. For journalist Gary Matsumoto's work on his lab that fell apart. Because Matsumoto worked at ABC, not NBC. He had written some not very flattering stories about some of some of Ivan's research. Ben, isn't that right, Yeah, yeah, that's correct.
Speaker 1: He did an investigation into the actual lab that doctor Bruce Ivans was working at. But again he worked for ABC not NBC, so that that motivation doesn't add up, because if Ivans did this, he would have at least been aware of which news organization this journalist was working for at the time. Additionally, doctor Ivans passed a Lie detector test a polygraph polygraphs. We should mention here I've got a brain stuff episode about this. I think they're not scientifically sound, but it is rare for a guilty person to pass Lie detector tests usually unless you know a few handy tricks here. They are really quick. Not saying that you should ever lie on a polygraph, but if you want to pass a polygraph test, again, because they are not scientifically sound, you can employ any number of tricks, including doing some things to mess with your own body temperature, such as meditation, et cetera. You can this is is fairly explicit, but back in the day people used to just really flex their kegel muscle for an extended amount of time. That'll do it. You could put thumb tacks in your palm or and your shoe. Of course, there are a number of ways to invalidate it.
Speaker 2: Because it's all about sort of messing with that base level, that baseline, right, and then you know, because what's the polygraph if not just kind of a slightly you know, more complex like stress test. So if you can establish a baseline using that thumb tack in your palm, that's you know, sort of an elevated baseline, then everything else is going to kind of you know, be affected by that absolutely.
Speaker 1: And and we also know that during the investigation, even right after the conclusion of the investigation and right after it was re examined, first in two thousand and eight, then in twenty eleven, a lot of people, people in power, some like victims of these attacks, did not believe the FBI's conclusion. They thought it didn't add up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Even Senator Patrick Leahy, who you'll remember was the target of one of the attacks, testify that he did not believe that Ivans acted alone, though Senator Dashel, who was the other political target, did not agree with that assessment. So in two thousand and eight, FBI Director Robert Mueller figured, Okay, if there's doubt, you know that's being publicly stated, let's get to the bottom of this, and he called for an independent review of the investigation by the National Academy of Sciences, and that review found that prosecutors had largely overstated the case in the certainty of their findings. Members of that committee said that there there were some newly available methods for testing these these samples of anthrax to prove the FBI's case much more definitively or lead to some other suspects, but they were not interested in exploring such such tests. They relied on some I believe it was a sort of a fingerprint to trace it back to what they referred to as a flask of anthrax that Ivans had control over. And it has a coded kind of ID that I'm having a hard time finding right now, but it's like two letters, a dash and three numbers. And the technique involved tracing these particular mutations that they could, you know, kind of match up with the with the actual the flask that were it originated. And apparently they tested more than a thousand samples throughout this investigation and only eight of them had tested positive for four of these mutations found in the germs that were sent to Congress and the news media. So this caused an issue. Even in the early stages of the investigation, there was a group of scientists known as the Red Team that said the FBI should do more basic research and so why those mutations might have arisen, that it wasn't a foregone conclusion just because the mutations existed, that they necessarily were traced back to that original flask, and that this woman named Jennifer Smith, who is a senior manager at the FBI's lab, she expressed those concerns and didn't feel that the FBI had a kind of full understanding of how these mutations might have arisen and how this would be seen by a judge, and how it could potentially be thrown out entirely.
Speaker 1: Right, right, this science is vital here that specific let's say, brand or type of anthrax flask RMR ten twenty nine. The reason we know this is because everything should be obsessively documented in the field of biohazard research or bioweapons. Right if you are working in the kind of lab or situation that doctor Ivans was working in at the time, your interactions with every single version of every single contagion has to be documented, right, so that we know looking at the records, we know every time the guy was in his lab. We know that his time in the lab on weekends and nights accelerated, right, He was spending a lot of time there before the attacks occurred, and we should know everything the guy touched. But even now, even in twenty twenty, just it's like the experts you mentioned earlier, Nol. We find large groups of people, including some of the doctor's colleagues and some of his professional rivals, who are convinced that this man was innocent. And you know, the basis for their belief is not that they are in a Bruce Edward Ivans fan club. In fact, one of the reasons that a lot of people say he's innocent is that they say the attacks were too sophisticated for this guy to have figured out himself. The argument is basically, yes, he had to know how and the expertise to experiment with anthrax and maybe even to grow this particular strain, but he had no training in the delivery of bioweapons, which I think goes right to your earlier point about how botched this attack was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true, and that all, honestly to me, in some ways makes it seem like it could have been him, because if it were executed by a more you know, savvy group, then they maybe would have had a better delivery method because you know, anthrax is toxic up to the tiniest particles, and like we said at the top of the show, you know, if dispersed through a ducts of an office building could potentially infect thousands of people. And as we know, the fatality count and even just the people that were sickened by these was relatively quite low, you know. So, yeah, definitely didn't seem like it went as planned. But at the same time, the spores of anthrax were like Walter White, Breaking Bad level, like strong, high quality. You could, you know, call them something along the lines of weapons grade, which is, you know, sort of a vague term that doesn't necessarily mean one thing, but it's the type basically, you know, the finest anthrax grade that can be produced for bioweapons programs in either the US or somewhere like Russia.
Speaker 1: To interject here, yeah, the reason I think Breaking Bad is a great comparison. This is like the blue meth level of weaponized anthrax. There's a there's a scary thing here that often gets ignored in this story, which is this the spores of anthrax not to get too far in the weeds. They were only one point five to three micrometers wide individual spores. And it is fine grade. You're correct, it is Walter White level. This type of anthrax is smaller than the officially acknowledged or even open secret level bioweapons created by the US or by Russia. That should disturb people because that means that someone somewhere is making something that neither world power there acknowledges.
Speaker 2: Which isn't that much of a stretch. We know that governments hold back technology all the time, you know, and keep it for a military use, and they wouldn't necessarily want to broadcast that they have that. That's not something that they just like announce, Hey, we made a scarier version of anthrax. You guys like check it out, But no, it's it's it's true. And again when we say fine grade, we literally are talking about the particulate size, because that's what allows it to be just dispersed, like the wind can pick it up like a you know, a dandylion down and just carry it across the land, infecting you know, everything in its path potentially, and obviously you have to breathe it in. But these are you know that they could be you know, just millions of tiny, tiny, tiny particles in an envelope a full of powder, a powdered version of this stuff, right, and.
Speaker 1: You're opening it indoors. Yeah, and there are a lot of people around, so yeah, you know, at the risk of sounding cold, it is surprising that only seventeen people were infected.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: There's another problem with this official conclusion, and that's the doctor Ivans colleagues and people familiar with the lab can confirm that the lab equipment cited in the FBI conclusion, the lab equipment that he would have to have used to create this stuff and to disperse it, that lab equipment was not working. He did not have the capability to make the spores if he were using the equipment in that lab full stop. It was there. Yes, yeah, the know how, but that equipment was broken down at the time, you know what I mean. You can see how this gets messy so quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you absolutely can. And just again to clarify, like the we're talking about the flask that would be sort of like the mother right, Like that's sort of the origin material for what he would have used to then I guess propagate them or grow them into you know, a more usable version of of anthrax, and then you know, make it into the powder. So yeah, that would require a lot of know how and a lot of very sophisticated equipment. And if it wasn't working in his lab, what did he like have a secret lab like at his house. I mean maybe you know, who are we to say? But it definitely was highly unlikely that he made it with its broken down equipment at his lab. And numerous government officials and scientists also believe that this official story doesn't add up. And there are numerous theories that have kind of circulated in the years since this conclusion about doctor Ivans, And we're going to get into all of those after a quick word from our sponsor.
Speaker 1: And we're back. Yes, the conspiracies, the theories, the speculation thrives, proliferates, And to be clear, the people who are proposing these alternative conclusions or these problems with the official investigation, they're not what you would call tenfoil hat people. They include people who were working with the FBI and the investigation. They include scientists, They include experts and anthrax and they have a lot of valid concerns here. Doctor Ivans, as I believe we said at the top, was only one of at least one hundred people who could have worked with this specific brand of anthrax. Of course, RMR ten twenty nine not the sexiest name, but it's a technical term, the first.
Speaker 2: Superior to RMR ten twenty eight. Oh my god, I mean, really, it was a good year. Don't even talk to me about ten twenty eight. Are you kidding? Ten twenty nine?
Speaker 1: Come on, that's the connoisseur's choice apparently, But he was like, he was not the only person who would have touched this. Also, the FBI did not have a peer review of their conclusions of the scientific end of it during their investigation. The science, in short, to be very clear, the science was not there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Taking it a step further, even a twenty eleven review of the investigation was not able to rule out the possibility that someone or some group other than Ivan's committed the crime. The Government Accountability Office or GAL as I like to call it, because I'm an acronym Junkie found this quote. The FBI lacked a comprehensive approach or framework that could have ensured standardization of the testing process. We jumped into that a little early when we were talking about testing for that mutation or those mutations, and how people even within the FBI's lab kind of warned them against you jumping to conclusions about what could have caused those mutations. They could have been something outside of what they were using it as a kind of a foregone conclusion and tracing it back. It's sort of like, I don't know, maybe this is a stretch, and science people please debunk the crap out of me, because I'm just sort of spitballing here. But it reminds me of the way certain ballistics technology have kind of been debunked, where you can, you know, say the striations or whatever like on a particular bullet could have only been generated by this one gun. And there's a version of that technology that was in fact debunked, and it caused some people to be exonerated because they were convicted using that kind of spurious conclusion derived from, you know, something that could have been caused by other factors. So they go on to say the Government Accountability Office. As a result, each of the contractors developed their tests differently, and one contractor did not conduct verification testing, which is a key step in determining whether a test will meet a user's requirement, such as for sensitivity or accuracy.
Speaker 1: Broken test sounds familiar, unfortunately, and these are days of pandemic. So if there are problems with the FBI's official investigation, does that mean there are problems with the bi's official conclusion. The answer there logically is yes. So now we have to ask what actually happened, and that means that we have to look at the conspiracies. There's what you know that's pretty interesting because a lot of people don't know this, but before Vice President Mike Pence was in office in the US, he was also he had a different career as a prominent radio host and then he moved into politics. He has some stuff to say about this investigation, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did. He kind of just made some sort of shot in the dark kind of claims, released some statements saying some pretty interesting things about this substance. He essentially said, quote in a statement, the material found in my office and in others in Capitol Hill was finally milled weapons grade anthrax that had been this is the key part genetically modified to increase its virulence. Huh, what does that mean, ben genetically modified?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's the same, it's the same thing.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: He's arguing that this was weaponized, and again we have to remember that this this stuff was officially better than anything the US or Russia or China could make.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 1: I think at that point he was in a he was a representative, right, he was a congressional representative before he became governor of Indiana, before he became vice president.
Speaker 2: That's right. And you know, I mean it's he's The notion that it was quote unquote weapons grade obviously is true to a degree, though the term is a little bit dubious in terms of like how it's used. The idea of weapons grade. There isn't really a standard as to what constitutes weapons grade anthrax. The LA Times reported in an article by David Willman from July sixteenth of twenty sixteen, and they spoke to a researcher at Johns Hopkins University named Stephen L. Salzburg, who was actually part of the first team to check out the material for the US government, and he said that's just wrong. That's simply wrong, and we knew at the time that.
Speaker 1: It was wrong.
Speaker 2: He's speaking, of course, of Pence's claims. And then Pence even kind of doubled down further and said something to the effect of, oh, it was coated with a chemical of some kind. Like he definitely added some more fuel to this fire in saying in a two thousand and two letter to Ashcroft, the Attorney General, that the spores had been coated with a chemical and that had also been disproven by scientists at the SANDA National Laboratory in New Mexico.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a few months before he told Ashcroft.
Speaker 2: That that's right. And I don't know, I'm fascinated by this idea of it being genetically modified. And it's interesting too because Colin Powell, who is a Secretary of State, he used this, as you know, we know was a thing, you know, in terms of weapons of mass destruction. He used this as another call to kind of go to war with Iraq, to support military action against Iraq that you know, tying this these anthrax attacks and as we did nine to eleven, which we now know really wasn't the case at all, and we use that as an excuse to go to war with Iraq, and that sort of got us embroiled in the Middle East in a way that we're still kind of dealing with today.
Speaker 1: Still friends with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Though you want to kill some journalists, want you want to support some terrorists, that's fine. We'll see how oil prices affect that geopolitical relationship. But that's a story for another day. You're right, you know, people immediately tied this to terrorism. Death to America, death to Israel is great, so on. We also have to remember that at this time, millions of innocent Americans are being vilified in the media for their religious beliefs. Right. It's as dumb and disgusting as any other sort of prejudice. So when we're talking about the belief of terrorism or something, or you know, the idea that religiously motivated terrorists might have perpetrated the anthrax attacks, we're specifically talking about Al Qaeda. We're not talking about some general, amorphous thing. We're talking about a real, concrete, discrete, existing organization that did have a track record, a rap sheet of committing terrorist acts.
Speaker 2: Absolutely and let's also remember that this was used as kind of, you know, a media device. Powell held a press conference where he had a vial of white powder in his hand, a small amount, and he said that a teaspoon size quantity of anthrax in one of the letters had you know, driven Washington into a state of chaos, killed and killed two postal workers. And he suggested very pointedly that Iraq had stockpiled enough anthrax to quote Phil tens upon tens upon tens of thousands of teaspoons, right, I mean, he's definitely trying to stir up some this. It's definitely it's a a fear bongering move, is what it is. And maybe it's well intentioned, but it seems to me like a you know, a pretty callous maneuver.
Speaker 1: I'm just laughing because I think that's a fantastic example of the of just how far we in the United States will go to avoid using the metric system. That's right, funny, It's true though, He's like, he's like put it in a number of people can understand.
Speaker 2: Tens upon tens upon tens upon tens.
Speaker 1: If each if each sport of anthrax was the size of an oreo and you stack them on top of each other, they could reach you know whatever, as long as we don't use the metric system. That's one of the that's one of the big rules. But but there's another conspiracy here, the idea that that the idea that the threat came closer to home, the idea that this was a false front, or that some faction of the US government actually planned this attack. You can imagine that for the people who believe nine to eleven itself was a false flag, the anthrax attacks of two thousand and one were just another planned event or another sequence, larger plan, another inside job.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: This school of thought frames those attacks as a plan B, a backup measure, just in case nine to eleven was not enough of a push to make the public and the government move forward with certain actions. Then this, this sort of the equivalent of a double tap, would ensure that the public moved in the direction that these powers, whoever they are, wanted. You know, it's it's strange because there's something comforting. This is weird. Walk with me here. There's something comforting about the idea that there is a grand design, you know what I mean, The idea that the same people who cannot get their stuff together on any given Tuesday are somehow also capable of this Rube Goldberg esque control of the past, the future, and the present. I don't know. I don't know. I feel like the idea that they're super villainy at work and a grand conspiracy is much more comforting than the other side of the coin, which is.
Speaker 2: That that it's just chaos, right.
Speaker 1: Right, that maybe there's another conspiracy theory is that the FBI is covering up for governmental incompetence, Like what about that political pressure, Like what what if they just you know, what if they have people breathing down their necks saying close this case. Now, find me a person who's the creepiest guy that we know has touched anthrax.
Speaker 2: This is the lowest hanging fruit possibility of them all. I mean, it makes the most sense. You know, you want to say face. You want to get the job done, even if it means putting away the wrong guy. You know, maybe they even had a hand in his suicide. You know, crazier things have been reported, you know, in terms of the government's involvement in assassinating folks, and you know, trying to cover that up you know, so I just I have no problem believing this, and I find the false flag narrative to be just such a go to kind of looney tunes one. Like people are saying that about the COVID situation right now, that like it's fault like you know, some people that don't believe that it's real. I equate it to like Holocaust denial or something. It's like, dude, there's bodies piling up, they're making like you know, ice skating rinks in New York and to make shift Morgus like it's real, you know, like move on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say, you know, to that point, the US government is such.
Speaker 5: A byzantine, complicated maze like structure, with so many people involved and so many groups involved, that it is completely possible for factions.
Speaker 1: Of the US government to do things that the you know, the other groups in the government don't know about or would object to, Like the CIA is the go to example there. They're doing all sorts of dirty stuff, and there are people who are supposed to have oversight of that organization and they have no idea what's going on. You know, they're in the dark. And the FBI has done some very filthy things too in the past, so I can see where this is coming from. At this point, there is no conclusive proof that anyone affiliated with the government in a law enforcement capacity conspired to mail anthrax to people. But the problem remains. This is the biggest problem here. The science, the science upon which the FBI's conclusion depends is not itself sound. Regardless of whether you think the FBI found their culprit or whether you you know what, if you think that some government agents actually conducted this attack, or if you think that political pressure rushed the investigation, there is one thing for sure, and that is numerous experts, not just doctor Ivans colleagues, agree the FBI has never conclusively proven doctor Ivans was one hundred percent the man behind the mail and all that lab work. That is what the case hinges on it, and it's not solid.
Speaker 2: There's a really fantastic series on pro Publica, one of which was FBI's science good enough to id Anthrax Killer, And we talked about this a little bit earlier, but just to hit home again, to quote the article, investigators had invented a new form of genetic fingerprinting for the case testing anthrax collected from US and foreign labs for mutations detected in the attack powder. Out of more than a thousand samples, only eight tested positive for four mutations found in the deadly germs sent to Congress and the news media. Even so, the outside sciences quote known as the Red Team just saying this is a quote, urged the FBI to do more basic research into how and when the mutations arose, to make sure the tests were sound and the results unchallengeable. And they didn't do that. So you know, this review showed that the FBI definitely overstated its case and possibly would not have gotten a conviction. In fact, seems to me quite likely would not have gotten a conviction against Ivans because they based their conclusions on some pretty shaky science.
Speaker 1: And what does doctor Ivans think. Will never know because again he died of an overdose of thailand old codine or as he said, an old tiler all three that was ruled a probable suicide. So he never got his day in court, and technically in this country, days in court are you know, they're a thing. They're a tradition that we like to say we practice.
Speaker 2: But you know what I mean, I would say it's a formality. At times, it seems really just kind of like a smoke screen of Hey, look, justice is being carried out, you know, but it quite often is not. You know, there there is that court of public opinion and and this is really all doctor Ivan's truly got tried in and he was pilloried and he you know, lost his life because of it. And you know, he may have been a weirdo and he may have had a hand in this, but I don't buy that he was acting alone, if he had anything to do with it at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's the issue. Let's you know, there's one person that we should introduce here at the toward the end of this episode, and that is Claire Frasier Leggott. She was a pivotal member of the Amerthracks I can't believe that's the real name, the Americal Tracks investigation. And she was a genetic consultant working with the FBI, one of those people who helped nail down the specific type of anthrax. Let's give the last word to her again. This is an expert. This is one of the protagonists, right, This is a person who's attempting to solve this case. And she says, quote This was not an air tight case by any means. You know, I think that for an awful lot of people, there is a desire to really want to say that, yes, Ivans was the perpetrator, this case can reasonably be closed and we can put this tragic chapter in US history behind us. But I think part of what's driving that is the fact that if he wasn't the perpetrator, then it means that person is still out there.
Speaker 2: So if not Bruce Ivans, then who That's the question we leave you with today. What do you think? Please let us know. You can write to us in the usual usual places, the social media's or where some form of conspiracy stuff or conspiracy stuff show. You can also find us as individuals on social media. I am on Instagram at how Now Noel Brown.
Speaker 1: And you can find me on Twitter at Ben bullin HSW. You can also find me on Instagram in a burst of creativity calling myself at Ben Bolling. Do you hate social media? Totally? Get it? Why not leave us a message, give us a call. You can reach us at one eight three three st d WYTK. It feels weird when we're not saying it together. And you know, I miss. When Matt says this, I hope he likes this episode. I do too.
Speaker 2: I really hope he likes this episode. And it's a bummer that he isn't here for it, but I hope we did him proud. And speaking of Matt, if you call that number that we just mentioned, even now while Matt's on vacation, you may well he may give you a call back. No promises, but he's been known to do it. He's a lovely man and would love to talk to you.
Speaker 1: Consider you know. I wouldn't even say that's a promise. I would say consider it a warning. Be careful as possible as you will exactly exactly so do let us know. And while you're at it, let us know if there are any other stories of scientists who have died under mysterious circumstances. If there's another angle of the anthrax attacks that you feel like your fellow listeners should know about, you can tell us. As Noel said, on social media, you can also find us on your local telephone. And if you say, hey, I hate phones, Hey I hate social media, but I have something you need to know. We are all ears, we are all eyes. You can reach us twenty four to seven, any day of the year, anytime of the day, at our good old fashioned email address where we.
Speaker 2: Are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 3: Stuff they Don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.