Speaker 1: The volume. The roller coaster of an NFL season is moving right along, and it promises to be a month full of tricks, treats, and of course, touchdowns. Draftking Sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NFL, is the number one place to bet touchdowns. Running it in from the one or at eighty yard bomb. We don't care how they score touchdowns, we want to bet on them. DraftKings hurt us and is delivering ready to place your first bet. Try betting on something simple like a player to score a touchdown. Go to the Draftking Sportsbook app and make your pick. Super Bowl odds so far at this point in the season the Chiefs at plus five hundred. Also the Baltimore Ravens up to plus seven point fifty is the second favorite to win the Super Bowl at this point. Here's a reason for new customers to do a touchdown dance of their own. Bet five dollars to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets. Instantly score big with DraftKings Sportsbook, the number one place to bet touchdowns. Download the Draft King Sportsbook app and use code hoops. That's hoops, that's code hoops. For new customers, to get two one hundred dollars in bonus bets when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings. The crown is yours. Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight Hope and why, or text hope and why to four six seven three six nine and Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or.
Speaker 2: Visit CCPG dot org.
Speaker 1: Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort in Kansas twenty one plus age in eligibility varies by jurisdiction. Void in Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. For additional terms and responsible gaming resources, see DKNG, dot co slash ft ball. All right, welcome to Hoops today. You're at the volume. Happy Thursday, everybody. I hope all of you guys are having a great week so far. I am very very excited for today's show. We've been doing this I think two maybe three years. I can't even remember exactly how many, but my friend Sam Vessini is coming on to break down our contender rankings. Sam, how are you, man, how is the early part of the season treating you?
Speaker 3: It's good, you know, I'm trying to dive into a lot of international prospects I've watched. I've targeted my preseason viewing, I think is the way to put it. Like, I texted you about a few things I've seen, Like I texted you about Phoenix and their offense looking a lot more fluid. I texted you weirdly about Charlotte. I was like, Charlotte looks like a lot more competent stylistically than what they have the last couple of years, Like Charles Lee has them just like firing from three. Like I'm all for that, right, But you know, I'm not gonna sit here and tell you I've watched every preseason team yet just because that's I don't know, that doesn't feel like a great use of my time yet, Yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: I was actually complaining to Paul two days ago. I was like, dude, I'm so ready for preseason to be over. Like I had a much easier time with preseason last year this year, Like, I just so badly want to get to the real basketball, but at the same time, we're less than a week away, so we're not too worried about that. So, as we usually do this time of year, we want to break down our contenders just to give you a real basic outlook. I had eleven teams listed in my realistic Contenders. I have a top tier with Boston, Denver, OKAC at New York, and then I have this tier of seven teams that I view as if things go right, and that could be like if they hit on a trade, if a young player pops. Maybe it's a team that specifically relies on health luck that's had really bad health luck in the past. Maybe it's matchups, like some of these teams have very specific types of matchup weaknesses. And so those teams for me are Dallas in order, Dallas, Philly, Minnesota, the Lakers, the Bucks, the Suns in the Grizzly. So before I know, you have a different top tier than I do. But is there any team other than those eleven teams that you actually think has a realistic shot to win the title this year that I had not listed?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a great question, right, I think no, So, like the Pelicans are interesting if they could make the right move at the deadline, But I think still probably know for them honestly, Like I I think I would remove the Grizzlies, Like, I really love this Grizzlies team. I think they're gonna win somewhere between like forty six and fifty two games like something like that. It's just that I don't know how well their team actually aligns for the playoffs right now. They don't have a lot of spacing, they don't have a lot of shooting. It feels very cramped, and basically, until John Morant proves to me that he can make a pull up jump shot consistently, it's just gonna be really hard for me to buy them in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: I feel like, right, yeah, I I watched a lot of Grizzlies when I was doing their season previews because I just didn't watch my to them last year. It's like, because why, like you talk about talking about targeting your viewing, I was not targeting.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, their offense was hard to watch last year.
Speaker 1: But when I went back and I watched a few of the Jah Morant games, I really like Marcus Smart as a connective piece. I used to think, like I'm I've been generally low on three guard lineups, just as as as I've just seen over the last few years some of these bigger, beefier teams that are better at defensive rebounding, better at pounding the front line, that kind of thing. I've just seen those teams have a lot of success. I've been lower on three guard looks, but after I watched them, Bain and Smart are both so physical, and they're both so good at pushing guys off of their spots and keeping guys out of their like preferred ways to initiate offense. And then also just the perfect guy to like kind of connect things on offense, Like Marcus Smart. He kind of has a reputation for being a shot chucker, but he's actually become a pretty decent passer and connective piece at this face in his career, and so that and then just the the the like. They just have so much of this like young exciting athleticism with Jaron Jackson and with John Moran, the like Gigi Jackson will see if he can get healthy. But to me, there it was a simple question of them having most likely a pretty decent seed going into the postseason.
Speaker 2: I don't know about you. I thought Edie looked amazing.
Speaker 1: This game the other night, Like he kept getting to that left shoulder hook and just people couldn't stop him down there. I thought he'd held up pretty well running up and down the floor, so I was a little higher on them. The only other team that I considered that I didn't put in there, The Pelicans weren't for me, but just that's just because, like their top guys are just guys that I don't really fear in any sort of real playoff series type of setting. The Calves were the other team where I could see. I could see Calves fans being like, we're a contender. I just don't see it because of my fears with Evan Mobley and Darius Garland. I just think those two guys are so flawed at this point in their career. I think they're too exposable in a playoff setting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I still just don't love the way that their roster fits together, and because of their extension decisions this summer, they are a bit limited throughout the season in terms of the moves that they can make. Like Darius Garland is really the only guy that can be moved throughout the entirety of the season.
Speaker 4: I think that Jarrett.
Speaker 3: Allen can be moved right around the end of January start of February. That's when his six month window from his extension ends.
Speaker 4: Evan Mobley, you know.
Speaker 3: Isn't going to be moved obviously, but you know, he's really not even tradable right now because he just signed his extension. So then you have Donovan Mitchell, who you know, just signed his massive contract extension as well. So they're really locked in. And I think it's okay to be locked in, but it's a core group that I feel like again doesn't necessarily mix and match well toward playoff basketball and to go sorry, you want to go back to the Grizzlies just.
Speaker 4: Like real quick.
Speaker 3: I'm glad that they're like, by far, the most interesting team to me in the early season. It's like them, it's Houston, It's you know, I do want to see what Oklahoma City looks like. New York obviously has all of these new pieces, right, but they are fascinating to me, if only because of the push pool between the Edy style and the Jaw style, right because Jaw's style is frenetic, and if you listen to the Grizzlies, they've been so outspoken about wanting to play at the fastest pace possible. But then you get to the Edy portion of it, and Edie is, you know, as you mentioned earlier this week in the game that he played against Indiana, best utilized in post ups in all likelihood right now, So how does that push pool go? My idea for that was, Okay, you can start Zach Edie. That's fine. You play Edy with Jaw for the first five minutes, then you take him out, you play job for the first you know, tend to you know, first quarter basically, and then when John gets arrest you bring back Eadie and just just let him. But you let him just like totally eat against second units. I think that's where Edie's gonna like just feast. You give him second unit centers like Isaiah Jackson against Indiana. I know he did really well against Miles Turner too, but you know, that's kind of my pride.
Speaker 2: Jackson was hopeless.
Speaker 3: He had no chance. So there are a lot of guys like that on second units. All due respect to enormous human beings at the center position in the NBA, you are just smaller than Zach Edy. Like I was trying to explain to somebody the difference in height and length between like Zach Edy and Steven Adams. And Steven Adams is an enormous human being. If you've ever stood next to him, oh my goodness, he is enormous. The difference in height between those two is like the difference in height between Steven Adams and like Luca, Like, it's.
Speaker 4: Just enormously different.
Speaker 3: Those are two, like three people that are of entirely different heights.
Speaker 4: And Edie is mean. He's an ass kicker.
Speaker 3: He's like a great guy off the court, but like when he's on the court, he is as competitive as can be. I love Edie as a regular season player. I don't know what it's gonna look like in the playoffs yet, but as a regular season player, that dude's gonna absolutely feast.
Speaker 4: I have no doubt there.
Speaker 1: I like that idea too, of like staggering and maybe partnering Baine with the Edie units and running like some splitter cut type stuff while he's posting out that that could be a really interesting way for them to go.
Speaker 2: But let's get to the top of the league.
Speaker 1: Canard too. By the way, Canard too exactly. So let's start with a very basic question. Do you think Boston should be in a separate tier above the rest of the field, or do you think they belong in the top tier with some other teams.
Speaker 4: So I had Boston in a tier with one other team, and.
Speaker 3: I'm gonn assume, I guess think that's okay. See right, it's Oklahoma City. Yeah, I have like a separate mini tier of these two being a little bit different than the other teams.
Speaker 4: And then I have you know, another I don't.
Speaker 3: Know, maybe like three or four team group realistically, and then I have your other teams kind of underneath that. So yeah, I've Boston in Oklahoma City just in a tier that is separate, if only because to me, they are the two teams in the NBA that kind of embody this era in terms of where basketball is going most. And to me, that answer is it's finding solutions to every problem that an opposing team can pose for you while also playing the math game of shooting threes and playing five out spacing right. And by that I mean if a team wants to go big against you, both of these teams have the wherewithal to be able to go as big as possible. Oklahoma City with Chet and Isaiah Hartenstein, Boston hopefully with chrisops Porzingis when he gets healthy and Al Horford, they have the ability to go.
Speaker 4: Small against you.
Speaker 3: They can go Boston to go Horford at the five with their four great perimeter players Drew Derek White, Jason Tatum, Jalen Brown. Oklahoma City can do it with you know, Shake Gils, Alexander, Jalen Williams, and any of their bevy of options across the wing. But they're also always going to play five out offense, always going to be essentially a top three offense in the league with their current constructions. Both organizations can really really pass the ball, They get good movement, and they set up their stars for success. That's the number one key of today's NBA, I think, is setting up your stars to play in the most space possible. Boston's scheme allows for them to invert post touches for Jason Tatum and Jalen Brown if they want to. They can have those guys drive because they constantly have five floor spacers out there on the court.
Speaker 4: Oklahoma City, it's the.
Speaker 3: Same deal they were really for years, even when they were bad, even when they had Al Horford on that team for a year. Right Their whole thing was that they wanted five out spacing. This is why we got the Isaiah Robis at center, the Darius Baisleys at centers at times while Mark Dagnall figured out what his scheme was going to be for the future. So those two teams, to me, have the best combination of elite talent, modern offensive principles and also the ability to match up with you defensively in a bevy of ways. And they have a way to match up with you defensively for any lineup that you put on the court.
Speaker 2: I one hundred percent agree. I think there.
Speaker 1: I think I would put those two teams on a separate tier in terms of like just pure talent. I think the Oklahoma City, with the moves they made this summer, entered into Boston's tier in talent in a way that they were probably in a separate tier in years past. The two the reason why I included Denver, New York, and by the way, I don't want to spend too much time on Denver because I want to actually hit them as an entire separate topic here in a minute. But like the reason why I included Denver, New York are pretty simple. Denver has in my opinion, the best player in the world, and in New York, they have a lot of talent that is kind of point and shot in a very specific way that accentuates their gifts. So, for instance, like, does anybody think that Jalen Brunson is as good at basketball as Shay or as Luca, or as Jokic or as Tatum.
Speaker 4: No, but they've gone down to Manhattan and say that Jason, Yeah.
Speaker 2: This is what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So like, and more importantly, go into Madison Square Garden in a in a big game where Jalen is determining every possession when he is pointed and shot as the primary shot creator and he doesn't really have to do much else. He's really damn good at it. And then same go like mkale and Og. It's like, are Mkaleen Og as good as Tatum and Brown? Know, but they're kind of like focused in these very specific ways with the Knicks where they impact winning at a really high level. Karl Anthony Towns, I like, I know he's not shooting well in preseason, but the amount of wide open shots he's getting as like a trailer in transition or or popping out of any sort of screening action. He's going to get so many open looks and he is going to hit them this year. The obviously they're a team that lacks a little bit of center depth. There's some question marks there. But like to me, Denver and New York are examples of teams where I think the total is more than the sum of their parts because of the uniqueness of New York's talent and the uniqueness of Nikole jokicch and specifically with Denver, there the the matchup problems that they present because Jokic is so unguardable. Do you have any pushback on my defenses of New York Denver?
Speaker 3: So let's ignore Denver because you do have like a whole section here for Denver. New York is fascinating to me because you know I mentioned earlier with Oklahoma City and Boston, the reason I have New York in just a different tier, and I agree with you, I have them in my top four right now. New York I have them in a slightly different tier than the other two because of that ability to match up in different ways. I don't really think that they can do it. I think this team is almost I don't know that they can do it. I'm just saying the way that I think that, you know, Leon Rose and all that front office have built this team. I think that they have built this team to contend with Boston more so than the other teams in the Eastern Conference in a playoff series. They're trying to win or trying to keep up basically with the math game, while also having a bunch of different options on the wing to be able to throw a Jayalen Brown and Jason Tatum. That's what I see when I see New York's team build. But if you look at them against Milwaukee, I'm honestly, like really interested in how they would match up with Milwaukee because they don't really have the interior strength and power unless Mitchell Robinson is fully healthy to be able to stop Jannis from getting to the rim. Right, Like Karl Anthony, Town's phenomenal offensive player showcased real moments last year where he could match up one on one with bigger bodies like Nikole Jokic while they had but slower bodies, Right, I don't think he profiles super well against Giannis necessarily, And on top of it, what you typically want to do against Gianness is you want to have a help defender like Rudy Gobert there to be at the rim, as opposed to having og A Nanobi who is a fantastic, phenomenal elite level perimeter defender. He's a smaller, right, He's not a primary rim protector. So I actually want under how that series would go. If I'm being completely transparent, like I think that New York almost matches up slightly better on paper with Boston than it does with Milwaukee. It's just Milwaukee has its own shit to figure out, right, Like they have to figure out the dam and Gianni stuff. They have to figure out Doc Rivers, you know, figuring his stuff out, everything like that. But then you look at Philadelphia as well, like Philadelphia has like a weird matchup I think with New York.
Speaker 4: So the lack of like.
Speaker 3: This is a word, I'm going to create a thin air match up ability, match up flexibility maybe is the way to put it. Is why I'm slightly lower on New York than I am on Boston and Oklahoma City.
Speaker 1: So I completely agree in the sense that compared to OKAC in Boston, they don't have the versatility I I'm really worried about teams that can space cat out because as good at like, just having both Brunson and Kat out there just gives you a little bit more vulnerability in those situations. The Milwaukee matchup is interesting because I kind of like Og on Giannis a little bit. The bigger issue I would have. The bigger issue i'd have there is like, if you end up putting Kat as your back line, They're just gonna space Brook above the break on the opposite side and try to punish you in that regard. And I think you are a little weak on help Length simply because if you put Og on the ball, and in this case McHale, Bridges is the guy who's guarding Dame, right Like, that's the direction you're going in all likelihood.
Speaker 4: Maybe Heart like, maybe Hart.
Speaker 3: So if it's McHale, depends on what version of Chris Middleton you get, probably.
Speaker 1: Too exactly, and so yeah, and if Middleton's out there, who's guarding Middleton?
Speaker 2: Right Like?
Speaker 1: At that point, I think I'd probably put Hard on Middleton and I'd probably put Bridges on Dame because I'd want Length contesting over the back pressure. But like in that sort of situation, if OG's on Giannis, and kat is being spaced above the break on the opposite side, and I have Michale Bridges chasing in action with Dame. That means Josh Hart and Jalen Brunson are my back line in any sort of situation like that. So, like you're right, there's not as much matchup versatility there. I want to be clear, like Boston, I would not put them on a separate tier, but I do think they're the clear number one. I don't think any team in the league, like if someone argued to me, I think Boston's not the favorite.
Speaker 2: This is the team I think is it?
Speaker 1: I think is And here's why I'd be like, I can't even conceptualize a version of that that I get behind. OKAC would be the one team that I would think of. But even with OKC, I think their question mark centering around like, hey, like Jalen Williams in year three is your second best shot creator and a guy that is going to be determining a lot of key possessions for you in the postseason, That to me is a little bit of a question mark.
Speaker 2: The lot of youth there.
Speaker 1: Even though I'm super high on Oklahoma City and so I think Boston. I think just has a clear sign of a clear strength in terms of experience and just overall shot creation and that sort of stuff. So like, to me, Boston's a clear number one. I totally get your reasoning for having Denver, New York in a second tier. For Denver, here's what I'm gonna do for Denver. I'm gonna just quickly pitch to you. I think people are writing them off too quickly, and then I want you to tell me why you disagree or agree. So I was talking about this on my show yesterday. So much went wrong for Denver last year. Jokic jump shot in the postseason was worth zero point three to eight points lesser single attempt than it was in the previous jump previous postseason, so literally four tenths of a point less first shot from the previous postseason. Casep hurts his ankle in the first round. Jamal Murray hurts his calf muscle in the first round. Jokich is also clearly gassed by the end of the Minnesota series and is just really really struggling to do some of the dirty work stuff that he did really well. And we're like, if you just turn maybe two or three minutes of that run from bad basketball into decent basketball. They're in the Western Conference Finals. I think they get favored because Gafford and Lively would get eaten alive by Jokic. I also think Aaron Gordon is a better defensive matchup for LUCA than basically every forward in the league except for a small handful of guys, and so I just think that was a matchup that would have benefited Denver and then Denver Boston. I mean, who knows what would happen in that series. I probably would have picked Boston just because how banged up Denver was. But Denver had a decent matchup in that series because of their front line and the poor zingis injury and things along those lines. So like for a second round loss, with so many things that got that went wrong, I think they were reasonably close to still making a very deep playoff run, at at a minimum at least making it to the conference finals. So with that being the case, as I look at the roster, I'm higher on Christian Brown with the starters than most people. I think that he's bigger and stronger than KCP, which I think actually keeps them a little bit more versatile defensively in terms of like they won't have to put Aaron Gordon on big Fords all the time, and they could keep him in help more often. The bench is a complete shit show. We all know that, everyone can can admit that, but that's been That was basically the case the entirety of this era, with the exception of they had this sixth starter in Bruce Brown, and I would argue that if they were going to win the title again, somebody's going to have to materialize from that group, whether it's Peyton Watson or who knows what, Maybe it's a Russell Westbrook vindication at some point. But like, the bench is a shit show, But to me, the starting lineup it still is this really rock solid cores. I do think Jokic will shoot jump shots better this year, which is such an important ceiling razor for him. Obviously there's a question mark with Jamal Murray's help, but I think people are more like wishing on Denver's downfall than like some of the actual tangible basketball materializing that way. So where are you at with Denver? Are you much lower on them than I am? Do you think that this is the the they're on the way down.
Speaker 3: I think my answer to that is more that I just think they have more variants than they've had over the last few years. It's not that I think they don't have the same upside. I think that they do have similar upside if things all break right. It's just that the downside is lower than what we've seen from them the last couple of years. And to me, that does all revolve around Jamal Murray. Jamal Murray hasn't played great basketball in the last eight months. That's the reality of the situation here. Didn't play great at the Olympics, wasn't great for the last what three four months of the NBA season last year year.
Speaker 2: More shot attempts than point in the playoffs. Yes, so.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's as simple as saying that Denver should be written off. They absolutely should not be written off. And I agree with you in having them in your top four or five contenders one hundred percent. I would also have Denver there. My main concern revolves around Murray and what happens if Murray is not the offensive creator that has incredible synergy with nicolea Jokic that we've seen previously. I actually don't know that they have an answer to that question, and they've now extended Jamal Murray and extended him after the deadline where he can be moved this season.
Speaker 4: So they're in a space where they need this to go right.
Speaker 3: There's not another They don't have an out really in terms like they don't have their pick this year, they don't have a ton of flexibility with their future draft picks in terms of being able to move them. Their young guys are polarizing. Like I can tell you from talking to teams league wide, there are people that really really like Peyton Watson. There are people who have questions about if he's just like an interesting, you know, curious athlete who can cut and who can defend a little bit but doesn't really shoot it and is still developing into his overall game. There are questions about Julian Strawther. There are questions, like most people don't really think Jalen Pickett a is a player. You know, Hunter Tyson is very polarizing as a player. All of these guys that they've drafted, they've just always been extremely polarizing, which means it's harder for them to make deals with teams involving those players, some evaluators and executives are maybe going to like those players more than others, or they might have like very different opinions on those players, which means if you're trying to foster a trade to go get like another real difference maker, it's like, well, we really like Julian Strawther, but we don't like Hunter Tyson, or we don't like you know, Peyton Watson, or we really like Peyton Watson, but we don't like Strawther, we don't like X Y and Z. Right, we really like Doron Holmes, but Doron Holmes is out for the year now, so we don't know what to do with that. It's just going to be a moving target for them, I think, on the trade market in terms of trying to improve this group.
Speaker 4: So they need what they have.
Speaker 3: Now to go right, and it could I think that you're one hundred percent right like that. That's why this is like not all. It's an exciting conversation because we haven't had this much uncertainty with Denver in a while. But it's not a question I can answer. I feel like, either you could tell me Denver wins fifty five games and is incredible. Again, you could honestly sell me on them winning like forty six this year because teams just completely sell out to stop Jokic. Christian Brown does not have a great shooting season. Aaron Gordon is obviously not really a great shooter, but plays off of jokicch incredibly well as a cutter. Michael Porter Junior is a guy that's had health issues in the past, so you never know, Like you could sell me on a number of things they have. They have a number of cascading things that could go wrong for them, but they also still have Jamal Murray, Aaron Gordon, and Michael Porter Junior surrounding the best player on planet Earth doesn't really miss games who you can you can rely on to consistently play. So anybody that's writing them off is absolutely insane to me. It's just that there is more uncertainty there now, I think in terms of what they could look like by the time February rolls around, I.
Speaker 1: Think that uncertainty is almost guarantee to show in the regular season. I mean, you're leaning on You're leaning on a lot of young players. Like to be clear, like, I think I think Oklahoma City will finish at least five games ahead of Denver in the standings, like at least I think I think you'll probably have occ around like what fifty seven to fifty eight wins, And I think I'm with you. I think Denver is looking at the low fifties. I could argue that that's probably what Denver should do, because they looked tired at the end of last season. And the reason for that is they depend on their starting units so much. And when you depend on your starting unit so much and you lean on those guys in big minutes and they determine the outcome of every single game, there's just a lot of pressure on them and you don't get to kind of like manage their load throughout the season. And so there's a case to be made that, you know, forty eight wins is a is an outcome that should be the what happens if they take a more cautious approach to this regular season, especially with Jamal Murrays knee injury. And to your point, like, because we've seen the knee injury flare up in the reason like, none of this is realistic if Jamal's not Jamal, And like, I don't think Jamal needs to be what he was in the twenty twenty three playoff run, because that was like, that was insane, but that was that was he was playing like an he was playing like a superstar guard. But he can't be as bad as he was last year either. I do think I think one of the most important outcomes is Jokic's jump shot. I don't think people realize how important that was to them in the title run. He made thirty five threes in that title run, but it wasn't just the thirty five threes. He was doing a lot of work driving closeouts at the top of the key and against Minnesota, they were literally doing this, So like, go ahead, man, like, yeah, that was it. Shoot it, you know, And so I'm really curious to see how that goes. But yeah, I'm with you. I think I think variance is the right way to put it. I'm just I'm more emphasizing that, Like, I think people are insane to not acknowledge that that top end is still there, because I think that Jokic that shoots forty five percent from three isn't just the best player in the world. I think he's by far the best player in the world. I think that the jump shot declining is what has brought him down to the field a little bit. But I would take him head and shoulders over Luca if he's got his jump shot going in.
Speaker 3: So and maybe this is where we transition to this next group of you know teams, right, And I'm going to kind of go off book in terms of what we wanted to talk about here, but I actually do still have Minnesota head of Denver right.
Speaker 4: Now in my group.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's hear it.
Speaker 3: So I think that they again are a group of They're a team that has a different way to match up with you. And I think that the Randall Devincenzo deal for Towns actually gives them even more kind of alps to be able to do that because now instead of having Mike Conley and two bigs out there to close, you can go Dante and close with Anthony Edwards. And a big piece of is trusting Anthony Edwards to really run the offense. And this is something you and I have talked about a ton with Timberwolves. It's just their late game offense, right, what does it look like throughout the course of this full season and the playoffs?
Speaker 4: That's their biggest question. They need to figure that out.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's just Ant taking another leap and just becoming like a total assassin, right, That would be their best case scenario. But I think Julius Randall is going to do a much better approximation of Carl Town's at least on offense. They'll play different stylistically and do different things, obviously, but in terms of the actual production than what most people do. Julius Randall is in a contract year. Chris Finch is a coach that has gotten extremely high level play out of him previously, and with Rudy Gobert backing him. To me, the defense is less of a concern. I thought Carl Towns did fine on defense last year. I don't think Carl Towns is now some magically positive defender. I think that I think Towns is a better defender than Randall. To be clear, but in Towns is a better player than Julius Randall. I don't mean to say that the two are comparable. I think the difference between Towns and Randall is smaller than the addition of getting Dante DiVincenzo and the flexibility and spacing that he provides personally. And I totally understand why New York did the deal. Like, I'm not sitting here and saying it was a bad deal for New York. I have my questions, and we've talked about that previously on my show. But I think that Minnesota, and what you've talked about with Minnesota is just the overall spacing and figuring out how to make it work with Edwards and Randall together, I think that they can figure out a way to make that work. They also have enough flexibility with their picks moving forward to where if you wanted to try and do like a Randall and a first round pick for something at the deadline, that will be available to you the other guy that like I'm sure Minnesota fans don't want to hear this because they love nas Reed, but nos Reed is in expiring contract and they need to figure out what their front core of the future looks like between these three guys, because in theory, all three of these guys could leave after this year, Gobert, Randall, and nas Reed. So they have a real flexibility in terms of the way that they can attack the deadline here coming up that I think, you know, a team like Denver doesn't necessarily quite have in the same way because Denver doesn't have as many cheap contracts unless they're willing to move Brown. But Brown is now like an integral part of a team that doesn't have any depth. I would argue Minnesota right now might have the best top eight in the NBA. I think that you can certainly make that case between Conley Edwards, Dante and Nikhil Alexander Walker and then in the front core Jaden McDaniels, Julius Randall, Nasried and Rudy Gobert. I mean that's eight, you know, top is I.
Speaker 2: Don't know says right.
Speaker 1: Nikhil Alexander Walker's started, but I think he's a really good rotation player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, He's an unbelievable like defensive weapon that you can throw out there and who isn't going to kill you on offense. So I think that their depth, their ability to match up with just about any lineup that you throw out there. You can go small, Jaden McDaniels. That's the other thing of the Dante deal. I think it allows you to if you want to go small based on how another team is playing you, you can go small. Now you can go Anthony Edwards, Dante, DiVincenzo, one of Mike Conley or Nikhil Alexander Walker depending on how big or small the opposing backboard is, and Jade McDaniels at the four with Rudy at the five if you want to, or you can go super big with these bigs that you have across the board. They have just for a ways to match up. And we haven't talked about the biggest reason yetter I haven't. Anthony Edwards continues to get better and better every single season, and last year's playoff run was something special for a you know, third fourth year guy. I believe he's entering his fourth year. No, he's entering his fifth, I guess, But you know he is an absolute stud that I completely believe in him by in a playoff setting.
Speaker 1: So before I give my response, I want to ask you a follow up. Yeah, should Dante de Evenchenzo just be the starting too? I think he's a better player than Mike Conley. So you could argue Mike Conley running bench units with an off the four almost makes more sense.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 3: So maybe this is me having reacted to the ESPN Top one hundred that came out earlier this week and see that they have Fred van Vliet at number seventy nine on that list. I think that we've gone round the bend with these small guards who like are actually tough defensively, Right, Mike's not quite as good as he once was defensively, and is not quite as good as Fred is now defensively, just you know, he's older at this point.
Speaker 4: But Mike is.
Speaker 3: Still incredible at getting a team organized, and he knocked down forty percent of his threes last year, and he fights over the top of screens like Mike Conley is still an awesome player. The case for doing what you're saying, though, and I think this is a valid case, is I would just want to get Aunt as many reps as possible running the show, and maybe I would stagger him without Mike more often, just to give him that opportunity. Whether or not you're starting Mike, you're bringing him off the bench, I guess I don't really care. But I do think there's a case for what you're saying to get Anthony Edwards more reps on the ball so that that decision making tree continues to improve, because that's that's really the last step here for Aunt is consistency off the ball. Defensively, and then the decision making tree on his drives and on his ability to you know, find the open teammate regularly as opposed to take a terrible pull up mid range jumper or a drive into the trees where it's a lower percentage shot. That's really the last step for him.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, I'm really curious to see if if Chris Finch does any kind of exploring on spacing looks. Dante plays bigger than he is because he's athletic and strong, he rebounds well for a guard. It just gets up underneath bigger players when he's on switches, and an Ant is literally built like an F one fifty. So like, I wonder if you could start to explore looks too, where you have you know, Ant kind of functioning as the three defensively, but you go with Conley, Aunt and Dante with nas at the foe next to go Bear. I wonder, and you could get into some real four out one end stuff where it's like just spread, pick and roll, but you've got deadly shooters on both corners and Dante above the break who's deadly, and you can really create some more spaced out environments for him. This is one of the issues, like because I mean, as I've watched Minnesota in preseason, their defense looks amazing, right, like like in these these spurts like that, it's a spurt against Philly where you're like, holy shit, you know they have this spurred against They had to spurt against the Lakers when Lebron and Nadi didn't play in the first game of the preseason, where like they just you could just tell Austin and Dilo and Rui, we're just having a hell of a time getting free of those guys. But Nikhil, Alexander Walker and Jada McDaniels are both guys that are like very hot and cold on offense and can in terms of the game plan. You're pretty much helping off of those guys and offering late contests and you know, going underneath picks and doing.
Speaker 2: All that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Right, So, like, I wonder if you could look into some more of those options and see if it develops. Ants jump shooting, it's starting to get ridiculous. Sam, He's twelve for twenty three in preseason. Again, I know it's a small sample, but like we are now on a seven month span going back to last April in three different, completely different situations between obviously some of the new guys he's playing with this year, the roster from last year, super high intense games in terms of the conference finals and conference semis. Last year, you've got the Olympic Games, where he shot well in both the exhibition games and the Olympic Games themselves. This is a roughly three hundred rep seven month span of him making jump shots at like one point two points per shot, which is like insane. Off the dribble, off the catch, left shoulder fades, right shoulder fades, like the jump shooting is ridiculous. And so that to me is where the upside is the reason why I'm still like Minnesota for me is a team that, like I just want to see them play in the regular season with Julie Randall, sure, because I'm just so interested to see how that front court shapes out with the starting group with Jade and Julius and Rudy. So like, for me, like I have them loosely ranked at seven right now in my contender rankings, but like I could see that going way up or potentially even down a little bit, because I just it's so hard for me to conceptualize it. Dane Moore does an amazing job covering the Wolves, and he had a tweet the other day where he basically broke down how like even though Julius doesn't shoot percentage wise the way that Kat does, yes, he does shoot a lot in so correct and his case was basically like he's respected and treated as a shooter even if he's not, and so maybe that materializes.
Speaker 3: So to me, it's not that he's respected and treated as a shooter, it's that you have to like get up near him and make early contact because if he drives, if you if he gets like two steps down hill into yeah, there's actually like no way that you can physically stop him. He's too strong, he's too physical. So you know, I think we talked about that on our show, that like he gets close, he gets guarded on the perimeter more than what the shooting percentages would indicate necessarily. And again, like Chris Finch knows this, He's he understands how to make Randall work. He understands how to make that tick. You know, he coached him before Randall had like the crazy outlier shooting year with the Knicks where he made like forty percent of his threes, right, So I think Finch really is like a savant in terms of spacing his big men and understanding how to make that work. And while he doesn't bring the same spacing that Karl Anthony Towns does as a shooter where you do genuinely have to be uptight on him, I do think that Randall at least gets guarded out on the perimeter in a way that maybe it's not quite as like tightly on the clothes outs as Towns is, but it is still going to be a guy that gets guarded yeah, and accounted for. I have Minnesota three right now rankings.
Speaker 2: So the best team beneath Boston and OKAC. How about that.
Speaker 3: My rankings were Boston and OKAC basically tied at one. The only reason that I didn't have Boston considerably higher was because I want to see what Porzingis's health was. That's literally the only reason. If you told me that Porzingis was going to be one hundred percent by the time April rolled around, I would have Boston clearly number one. I have Boston and Oklahoma City basically tied at one. I had Minnesota at three. I had New York at four, and I had Denver at five.
Speaker 1: We didn't even get into with Minnesota. The idea of like Julius Randall as a backup shock creator when ants off the floor. Now, that's kind of another thing to look at you in terms of like the staggering with Conley, Like Conley in like inverted town game with Julius Randall, you could see a lot of opportunities for him to get going, especially since he's going to be get guarded by smaller defenders or guys that are gonna hedge. Minnesota's gonna be interesting. They're definitely a team I'm gonna be watching a lot to start the year. Dallas, I have them as the top of my if things go right tier, I'm not as high on. I was never quite as high like I always viewed Dallas as Like last year after when we did our contender rankings before the postseason, I had Dallas, I think, if I remember correctly, I definitely had him in my top five, but they were in like that three or four spot, but I had him beneath that Boston and Denver Tier. I've always had Dallas as like the best of the teams that I don't really view as like your traditional bona fide championship contenders. You know, Clay isn't shooting the ball well in preseason, who cares he's not playing with Steph, or he's not playing with Clay and or with with Kyrie and Luca. They are running him off of a considerable amount of action. But then I get worried about whether or not that'll still be the case when those guys are back. But for them, I just it just views it looks to me like a bunch of decent role players around Kyrie and Luca, and I just don't think they have the overall firepower to contend with the teams in that top tier. Do you agree with me or you hire on them?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Look, I mean I have them at six like they're the next team for me. So I'm glad that you brought them up. Just in terms of like title, right, I don't know where they'll finish in the Western Conference. I mean I think they're in that group where it's just a total bloodbath.
Speaker 4: But in terms of.
Speaker 3: In the playoffs, like I buy this team in the playoffs by and large because I buy Luca and Kyrie in the playoffs. What I would say is you know they are a high variant team just because they've basically cycled through almost it feels like their entire role player group over the last I don't know what you want to call it ten months, basically, you know, the PJ. Washington deal, the Naji Marshall signing, losing Derek Jones Junior, losing Josh Creen, bringing in Quinton Grimes like that. Klay Thompson obviously is the biggest piece of this in terms of their role players. It's just another team like Denver that has a wide degree of variants. I think I'm a little bit less high on this group tentatively than I was going into the playoffs last year. I remember that I had Dallas like obnoxiously high when we did our condender rankings and people were like, you're out of your mind, and I was like, I don't know. I think that, you know, Luca, surrounded by spacing is a pretty good idea.
Speaker 2: You were ahead of that, you were ahead of the curve.
Speaker 1: You were talking to me, you were talking to me about Dallas and text messages like long before they started to take off too, because I was still worried about their defense, and I remember you'd be like, watch out for Dallas, man, watch out for Dallas.
Speaker 3: They're going to be good. So here's my main worry. It is the Clay side of it. I think they're going to be like utterly devastating on offense. I think that they're gonna just like Wreck Worlds on offense. If you have to basically make a decision in a Luca ballscreen with Derek Lively of Okay, Klay Thompson is on the weak side here. I have to make a decision on if I'm going to tag Derek Lively or I'm going to leave Klay Thompson in order to tag Derek Lively, or I'm just gonna leave Lively wide open at the rim for a rim run dunk. That's basically an impossible choice to me. Like, I know, like you said, Clay hasn't shot well in preseason. I don't really care. Klay Thompson, who's going to get, you know, the shot back? He always does. He always makes forty percent of his threes, so.
Speaker 1: He's hitting his open ones too. He's he's three for fifteen on jump shots, but he's three for five when he's unguarded.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like, to me, I'm just not.
Speaker 3: That they're going to be able to devise so much many different ways to just obliterate you and ball screens now, because they have theoretically, as long as Pj's shooting from the playoffs holds up. And that's a question, like that's a totally open question that I'm here to listen to and hear out right, they could go devastating like well, I guess four out with Lively as the role man, where Luca prefers to actually have the role man. I feel like as opposed to the five that is like the floor spacer buying large. He likes to have that lab option because he likes to have that pressure being put on the defense with how excellent he is at hitting skip passes. So this is theoretically, as long as Clay is who he is, probably the best constructed offense that Luca has gotten a chance to play with in during his time. Now, the question for me is do they have enough two way players? And that's to come down to Nausey Marshall making shots. It's going to come down to Quentin Grimes being more the guy we saw in New York as opposed to the guy we saw you know in the split year between New York and Detroit, can those guys step in and be able to give them honestly, probably close to forty to fifty minutes a night. And if they can do that, I think Dallas has a very real chance again to go to the NBA Finals. It is just a real level and degree of uncertainty because it's a whole lot of new pieces being integrated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you had mentioned week side. I've seen them use him a lot in three man action too, at the top of the key, where like staggers and stacks and stuff like that. And similarly, similarly like making the team make this, making the defense make decisions. The way you put it is really interesting to me because I think you're right. I think this is the most well constructed offense for Luca ever because he's got the best secondary shot creator he's ever had in Kyrie Irving. Jalen Brunston has become a better player than Kyrie, but when Jalen Brunson was with Dallas, he's not what Kyrie was. Right, You've got You've got this the second best shooter of all time playing the three basically in in uh Klay Thompson you've got Derek Lively, who is uniquely gifted as one of the rare athletes that is both great at vertical spacing and at making decisions on four on threes on short roles. And then PJ Washington is like kind of this interesting forward who again above the breaks shooting is interesting because he did not shoot well in the postseason, but he actually shot okay on him in the regular season, And I think PJ has good form. Like Pj's form is it looks like a nice jump shot to me, And so like there's a version of this where like he's euro above the break spacer who can also hit corner threes, also can post up mismatches down low. That unit all makes really good sense to me. On the offensive end of the floor. I am seriously concerned about them on defense though, I think I think I think they could into a let's outscore everybody team pretty quick. Yeah, and that's fun and that can win some regular season games, but then inevitably you just run into a real physical, tough playoff matchup and then things can get ugly. And so are you concerned at all about that? Do you think that this was the right trade off for Dallas to make.
Speaker 3: The answer is I don't know. In all honesty, like, I don't know the answer to that. I would like to see how Derek Jones Junior shoots this year. If Derek Jones Junior shoots thirty five thirty six percent from three this year, I'd probably have rather.
Speaker 4: Just kept him.
Speaker 3: But you know, if he's the guy where Dallas thinks that, hey, you know, we got the best that we could out of Derek Jones Junior, let's you know, not invest further in this. I would also understand that too, given his track record and history this Dallas team. Do you remember those Cavs teams with Lebron where you know they would finish like twenty eighth in defense And I don't think Dallas will be that bad in defense, but like they would just literally outsore or everybody, right. I think it was like Kyrie and Kevin Love were on those teams too. It's somewhat this build is somewhat reminiscent of that to me. Just you know, Luca is amazing. He's not quite what Lebron was, yet it is ceiling Maybe, you know, he's one of the few guys that I'll at least not rule out in the half strictly in the half court.
Speaker 1: On offense, I think you could say that he's reached Lebron's level, as like the one thing he doesn't have is just the rim pressure piece where it's just like slashing, But he's got the totally playmaking and the shot making for sure.
Speaker 3: And then they have you know, Derek Lively rim running protecting the basket. That's you know, he's a much better rim runner than Tristan Thompson was, but Tristan Thompson was a phenomenal interior defender. Right, you can just kind of look across the board, like I do think that those two situations kind of match, and you know, Lebron carried those teams to NBA Finals runs, right, and I think that Luca has a chance to do the same thing. That would you know, he did it last year and it wouldn't surprise me if he did it again this year.
Speaker 4: It's just that.
Speaker 3: Those teams do. This team has a lot of arians and has a lot of uncertainty to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's just so hard to tell too, just simply because once again with the clay piece, we just don't know what it's going to look like I've seen Clay be a good defender. I would even argue, like if I was trying to talk myself into it, I'd be like, Okay, Well, with Boston, they weren't even really attacking Derek Jones and PJ.
Speaker 2: Washington that much anyway. They were hunting matchups.
Speaker 1: So it's not like even if we had an elite defender on the ball, they might be looking to get Luke on switches. Anyways, It's going to be more important for us to be sharp in rotation. And the truth is that their offense fell apart because of PJ. Washington and Derek Jones Junior being unable to hit above the break threes. And so if Clay addresses that at the very least, even if you run intown problems elsewhere that you have to address, Like your offense crumbled at this one break point and you've now turned that into the second best shooter of all time. So like that, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna overthink it, Okay, all right, So I'm gonna bitch and moan to you for a second about the Lakers, and then I want you to tell me if I'm being.
Speaker 4: Toll this is great.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I want to be clear, overall, I am pleased with the JJ Reddick experience so far. I think he's bringing in structure, he's running more organized offense, he's talking about the right things, he's emphasizing the right things. There appears to be more buy in. I expect a more serious Lakers team this year. However, the Lakers are the latest and a long line of teams that is obsessively trying to increase three point volume. Okay, So I'm watching the Golden State Warriors game last night, and I'm watching them like throw the ball out the floor and semi transition and Ruby Hotchamura just jacks up and above the break three with twenty one seconds on the shot clock. And then the very next possession, Austin Reeves does the exact same thing. And then here's d Lo on the right wing taking a heavily contested three off the catch. Here's you know, Anthony Davis taking a bunch of threes in a very basic stat to put this together, last night, they took thirty four catch and shoe jump shots, and twenty seven of them were classified as guarded by Synergy. Last year, in the regular season forty nine percent of the Lakers catch and shoot shot attempts were classified as guarded, so less than half this year. So far, in pre season, sixty four percent of the Lakers catch and shoot shot attempts are classified as guarded. So I'm a big believer in increasing your shot value, and that means as many quality rim attempts as possible than as many catch and shoot quality catch and shoot three attempts as possible, and you need to try to turn any other shot attempt and as into as many more of those as possible. But I think that just jacking up contest to catch and shoot three is not a way to actually improve shot value, even if it improves your three point volume.
Speaker 2: So am I.
Speaker 1: It's obviously very small sample size, very early in the year. I've even talked about in my show. There's a confidence element in this, where like, I'm a big believer that you want to get guys confident in shooting a lot and then try to parse it back rather than have guys super scared and hesitant and then try ask them to shoot more. So like I think he might be trying to build out some confidence in this group and then try to trim some of the fat after the fact. But I am irritated with the Lakers shots selection in preseason so far. What if What has been your takeaway on the early returns on the JJ Reddick offense.
Speaker 3: This is my favorite segment that we've done so far. You're so mad about preseason basketball, right, Look, I think that your read the last thing you said, I think is the key. I think JJ's trying to like instill in them the way that they want to play and the way that they want to think almost about shock quality.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Ruey throughout his career, going back to Gonzaga, right, has always been this guy that's a little bit more comfortable in the mid range. It's a little bit more comfortable like if he can, you know, even like many post bit times, like when he was with Gonzaga and Washington, Right, he needs to almost like recalibrate in some way in order to be the best version of himself that he can be for this Lakers team. Right, Austin Reeves like is a guy where I've always felt like there's more, there's a bigger propensity there to be able to up your three point volume, right, to have a chance to really be that kind of guy who can get up seven or eight threes a game realistically and make them at a thirty eight to forty two percent clip depending on the season. Right, Dangela Russell's always had no problem with this, so like we can remove him. But when darvinham was there, it felt like offense didn't really have an overarching kind of shot that it was trying to get. It felt like unorganized chaos maybe is the way I would put it. I like basketball teams that are organized chaos and they are forcing defenders to fly around and you know, make reads off of one thing and then you counter off of it on the backside. Right, I want to always see those kind of structures offensively, and it does feel like the Lakers are at least running more intriguing sets as I watch them in half court settings. I don't want to take too too much away from the overall shot quality to this point, because I think that a lot of it is trying to instill a process that is working and that is been proven frankly to be the driver of key offenses in the league.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: You know, you look at the three best offenses in the league, they are Boston, Oklahoma City, Indiana. Those are the three, they all take threes at an exceptionally high volume. Part of that is they take them in transition. Part of that is that they are able to get down He'll pressure toward the basket and drive and kick. I would argue that to this point, the biggest reason why the Lakers have not gotten great shots, and I've watched like a game and a half of them in preseason. I'm not going to sit here and tell you I'm an expert, is that they are not getting as much downhill pressure from Lebron because it's preseason, so he's not forcing like defenses to collapse. Nobody is really forcing defenses to collapse where you get that ball spraying out and you know, creating a shot that way. It just feels more like they are trying to instill the right processes as opposed to worrying about what the results are now because they're just not concerned about you know, what is you know, the actual is the ball going in or not? Or are are we actually winning preseason games? Does that kind of make sense?
Speaker 1: No, it doesn' record. Like I'm kind of being facetious without dramatic. I'm being I I know, I'm with you, Like The Lakers are an interesting team because they don't generate dribble penetration, but they generate a ton of rim pressure. Like this has been consistently one of the best paint offenses in the league, and it stems mostly from ball screens and rolling to the rim and cutting to the rim. That's usually where they get their rim pressure. And like they actually are a very good three point shooting team percentage wise, last year they were just very picky. It was a ton of stuff in the paint and then wide open catch and shoot threes. And I am generally of the opinion that like there are, I think that the threshold for what should be considered go point, like a go point for a catch and shoot three, needs to be moved a little bit. For the Lakers. Austin Reeves is a great example of this. Austin passes up so many ketch and shoot threes to pump, fake and drive all. He was doing that a lot in the last few years. I want to see him shoot the ball more, and I do. I do think that the majority of this is just let's breed a bunch of confidence and let's let's kind of parse things back.
Speaker 2: I also would never.
Speaker 1: In a million years take any sort of strong committed stance on something like this unless we had like a twenty game sample of regular season basketball. But it's fun to bitch and mote about in the preseason. A couple just quick notes for you, just just for fun, on the Lakers from you watching them this season, they're occupying the dunker spot a lot more than they did in last year. The specifically with guys that can shoot threes. And that's the interesting thing to me, Like, I totally get it. If it's like, Okay, Jackson hayeses on the floor, let's have him setting pin in flares out of the dunker spot to try to get skip passes for threes or kind of operating like a dunker spot to dunker spot, just kind of making yourself available on the catch.
Speaker 2: I would get it.
Speaker 1: If it's Jared Vanderbilt, Like, there are guys where I would understand that kind of concept. I'm seeing a lot of Like I'm seeing a lot of like Lebron down there, ad down there, like while the balls on the opposite running action like spotting up. I'm I'm more of the opinion that the Lakers need to occupy that spot on cuts and on rolls, but like when you're actually spacing the floor. I don't love the idea of putting a guy who can knock down threes, even Ad, because, like I'm I'm generally of opinion with Ad that he's a good shooter who stopped shooting and he had a like he shot well, he got hurt, and then he kind of just stopped taking shots. And then he always would take like two or three a game and he'd miss them. But it's like you need to take six or seven it jump shots a game in order to actually have your rhythm. And I do think that Ad is a capable shooter. I think I don't think there's any reason why he couldn't shoot thirty three percent from three if you actually let him take five shots a game out there, or three shots at the four shots a game out there, you know. So, like I want to see them create some more of that space. I have found it interesting how often they are occupying that dunker spot. The second thing that I think is interesting is last year was a ton of horn sets and a ton of like traditional five out concepts.
Speaker 2: They are running a lot.
Speaker 1: More like dribble weave this year, where like the guards are crossing in the back court and it's giving me this weird PTSD from like Sean Miller Arizona teams where that just always ends in a switch.
Speaker 3: And then I was gonna say that it feels coach K. It feels like JJ's like Coach k influence exactly.
Speaker 1: And I again, I am overwhelmingly positive on the early returns with JJ, and I'm super excited to see how it goes. But it has just been a little interesting to see. This is my one, my one last thing I'll say about the Lakers. It wasn't broke. The offense wasn't broke. They needed some They were for their last forty six games of the season last year top three. Excuse me, they were third. I think they were third in offense for the last forty six games last year. This is a good offense. They just needed some small tweaks, a little bit more, a little bit more commitment to organized action. Let's turn some of these contested twos into threes. Let's work out some of these details, and then most of it is like details on the margins, like transition defense, crashing the offensive glass, overall defensive details and game planning night to night regular season game planning, like those are the real things that I think need improvement, and so I'm just really curious to see how it goes over the rest of the season. But we have about fifteen minutes here, and there are two teams that I really want to hit before we're done, the Bucks and the Suns.
Speaker 2: Who would you rather start with?
Speaker 3: Let's go with the Bucks to start, because we talked about them briefly earlier.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the two main things that I'm noticing with the Bucks that are fascinating to me, a lot more dribble handoff stuff here in preseason instead of just straight up ball screens, which I've liked as counters to.
Speaker 2: Ball pressure.
Speaker 1: And also just kind of keeping them more in five out principles, also something I've been begging for them all.
Speaker 2: Season last year.
Speaker 1: So much more cleared side action for Giannas so that he's rolling towards the baseline instead of towards the middle of the floor and he can see everything in front of him. Dame also looks like lot sharper than he did last year. What are you liking What are you not liking from the Bucks so far?
Speaker 3: Well, I feel like a lot of those you know, you know, empty side actions that you're kind of talking about here, are like they're trying to get Johannis and Dame involved in those actions. From what I've seen right, like they're trying to build that synergy between the two of them. Early, I thought that that had a chance to be like the most devastating duo in the NBA last season, and it just never kind of developed. It felt like, you know, be it. Adrian Griffin just didn't make it a priority early in the season and they were winning games, so nobody really said anything until he got fired. And then Doc Rivers comes in, and I felt like Doc tried to do a little bit of that later in the year, but it was just too late at that point, and then Jannis got hurt and it became more difficult, right. So I think that's what I've liked most is I know there was like a storyline where, you know, somebody's I think Day might have said like he didn't work out with Giannis at all in the summer, and people took that to mean some type of thing, and I was just like, okay, guys, like let's.
Speaker 4: Just let's call him down.
Speaker 2: Let's grow up.
Speaker 4: Let's take a beat here.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm glad that they're taking a minute to try and figure that out. That's been like, honestly my biggest takeaway. The thing I will say about the Bucks beyond that is Chris Middleton is Obviously I haven't watched there the last week. Is he playing or maybe the last like five days? Is he playing yet?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I think.
Speaker 3: I know that Doc said that, you know, we might get him back by the end of preseason. We might not, Right, Middleton is the almost like biggest He's not the biggest swing guy in the NBA this year, but he's one of the bigger swing guys in the NBA this year. Like we know a good Dame is. We know how good Giannis is. You know Brook Lopez is in a contract year and we know what he can bring defensively and as a shooter. Chris Middleton had multiple ankle series this summer. Do you know how good Chris Middleton was last year in the playoffs?
Speaker 2: Though he is insane?
Speaker 1: They're like, what twenty seven points a game on like sixty two percent through shooting or something crazy like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was unbelievable. He averaged twenty five points nine rebounds, four point seven assists with a two to one assist to turnover ratio, shooting forty eight thirty five ninety from the field. In the playoffs, he was unreal against Indiana. They need that guy like That's that is the secondary creator that puts them on par with New York and potentially Boston. Maybe not on par with Boston, but who at least gets them to where they can have a fighter's chance against Boston. Right That's the absolute, unequivocal, biggest you know swing to me is can Chris Middleton come back be at one hundred percent be that guy that we saw in the playoffs last year. If he's that guy, like, the Bucks are in an interesting position. While also acknowledging that I don't trust Doc Rivers, I'm one of those people who just doesn't really buy it. But they still have the bones of a great interior defense. I think that the Gary Trent in for Malik Beasley defensive decision is a bigger upgrade than what people think.
Speaker 2: I think it's a massive upgrade.
Speaker 3: I think that Trent is like a pretty overrated defender. I think that Raptors fans will probably tell you that as well, But I think Milk Beasley's one of the worst defenders in the NBA. It drives me out of my mind watching him play. So you have that upgrade there. Wareen Prince at least knows where to be. Delon Wright can be like an energy guy that comes in for fifteen to twenty minutes a game. Let's hope right and give them, you know, ball movement, organization and some point of attack defense with his length and athleticism, even though he's a little bit older now. I overall like the structure of this Bucks team a little bit better, but it all swings on Middleton because if without Middleton, they don't really have that secondary perimeter shot creator unless Gary Trent takes another lead.
Speaker 1: I think the offense is clearly good enough. I think that another year of Damon Gianni's continuity, Dame not being as distracted.
Speaker 2: Dame has been just shooting the ball way better.
Speaker 1: So far in preseason, Giannis is kind of entering into that like like he's almost overlooked and has a little bit of that like nobody believes in me type of attitude that I like. Chris Middleton huge believer in him. On the offensive end of the floor. So much to me comes down to that Chris Middleton health piece, mainly for the defensive end, because like any sort of like a realistic championship ceiling for this team comes down to whether or not they can guard on the perimeter. And you know, I'm glad you mentioned the Gary Trade junior piece, like because I didn't thin think he was particularly good defensively last year either. I think you could even make the case he was on the lower end of the spectrum. However, he's specifically good at one thing on defense, and that's like ball pressure and poking at the basketball, which like has a tendency to speed guys up and force them to go downhill to get away from that pressure. And that feeds into the strength of the defense, which is their interior size and length and ability to cover ground. Right, So, like that Gary Trent piece, I would be so much more worried about him if he was like playing on the Knicks and Karl Anthony Towns was the center and you were asking him to like contain the ball. But like in this particular defensive scheme, I actually really like I think Gary Trent is a massive upgrade over over Malik Beasley. Dylan Wright I think is an interesting option too. We'll see how he pans out this season. But I'm with you, it so much comes down to, like, can Chris Middleton be just the rock solid two way player and ken Yannis gets to the playoffs healthy? But I think they are a textbook if things go right, contender because there's just a lot of question marks and there's a version of this for all those question marks tilt in Milwaukee's favor and suddenly they're in an Eastern Conference final series with a real chance to beat Boston and maybe we're looking at a contender. But yeah, it's just so much is up in the air. Phoenix, this is a team that you've been texting me about. You said to me in a text message the other day that you think coach Budd has worked wonders for their approach on offense. Can you break down for our audience what you've been seeing and what you like about that approach?
Speaker 3: To me, it's just like purely overall like scheme and structure to me, like they the ball is moving now. I felt like with Phoenix last year particularly, it was just so stagnant all the time. They very rarely ran and more than like one primary action with maybe like a counter off of it on the backside. This year, like it's you know, at least in preseason and preseason is where I'm willing to take like stylistic takeaways, right Like, I'm not going to sit here and tell you that, oh, I think that Ti John Salon for the Charlotte Hornets is a shooter now because he drilled six threes in a game or whatever. I'm not gonna sit here and tell you I think Ryan Dunn's like a definite shooter right now for Phoenix because he hit six threes in a game or whatever. But what I can tell you is that their ball is moving a lot better. It feels like it's just a little bit freer in terms of what they're running. It felt like they ran like a decent amount of like empty stuff last year. They're utilizing like the full court this year, which is a little bit more interesting. It feels like they're playing faster. To me, that could just be a function of the preseason by and large, but you know, it just feels a little bit quicker. It feels like the decisions are being made. I really just feel like overall, whereas last year they were a lot more happy to settle in that mid range area, and it felt like there was no accountability for stopping those guys.
Speaker 4: From doing that.
Speaker 3: That is happening much less stylistically and schematically right now. It feels like they're more willing to fire from three, which is what this offense needs. They need guys like Beale and Durant and Booker, all of whom can the guys that settle in the mid range to fire from three consistently when they find catching shoots that are open. That's just like the biggest change that you could make is not catch hold the ball to dribble pull up in the midrange. It's just catching fire, right, just let it go. And to me, there's letting it go a little bit quicker now.
Speaker 1: At the risk of putting too much stock in more small sample preseason stuff, I'm going to share some stats with you about Phoenix. Their fifth and assist percentage so far in preseasonists on over seventy three percent of their made field goals, that is considerably higher than last year. And then third and three point volume. So again, like so much of this.
Speaker 2: Too, is like.
Speaker 1: It's easy to buy in and do stuff. The same thing goes for the Lakers. It's easy to buy in and do this sort of thing in the early part of the season. I'm curious with how long that it sticks. I think it's also a big part of Phoenix's approach to make themselves tougher to guard when things slow down, meaning in the playoffs or in clutch situations, and kind of getting away from the reality that for guys like Brad, Kevin and Devin this is kind of their natural tendency as basketball players, just to operate out of the mid range and to lean on their tough shot making ability. The Ryan dun thing is really exciting. If for no other reason, then even with the shooting, which is obviously going to go up and down, he's just a big, functional athlete, which is something that they just haven't had in years past, at least not within the context of being able to do it on both ends of the floor in a way that really helps them. Frank Vogel, I think is a profoundly underrated defensive coach in the NBA, but he is He is way way way behind the times on the offensive end of the floor, and so I do think that this is a big part of just bringing a more modern approach schematically and in terms of just like order of operations and the type of shots that they're hunting. But most of it to me in terms of, like, this is why I have Phoenix, and that if things go right category because they're so small, because they're so thin, they desperately need guys like Kevin Durant and Devin Booker to like play like all defense players and to be total ass kickers and like the physical parts of the game. And that is just where I continue to be concerned about Phoenix. There's just a team like Oklahoma City with Caruso and Lou Dort flying around being physical and Isaiah Hartenstein just throwing guys around on the front line, a team like the Lakers, a team like Minnesota, just these big, strong front lines, like the Lakers have always matched up really well with Phoenix because they have to run drop coverage with the Nurkic and they just can't guard the lebron ad pick and roll. There's the Minnesota just grabs and holds their perimeter players and just strangles them in space. And so let me pitch it back to you like this, we both agree Mike Budenholzer is bringing better offensive organization and approach to Phoenix. Where do you have them in your rankings? How do you feel about them as a championship contender?
Speaker 3: So right around you them at ten, it looks like like ten. That's I'm trying to like do the math in my head right now. I had Philly ahead of them. I had certainly Minnesota ahead of them. I had the Bucks ahead of them, probably like that eight to eleven range something like that. Yeah, So look, I'm worried about the defense. What I will say is, like, again, I truly hope that the Ryan dunshooting thing is real, like that that is Dun. Seriously, if Ryan can shoot thirty six percent from three this year on four attempts per game, he is an immediately like exceptionally valuable player. Because I'm not exaggerating this to you, Jason, he is one of arguably could be the best defensive wing I have evaluated pre draft. Really is unbelievable as a havoc creator defensive playmaker on that end, and he has experienced playing at the big position. I honestly wonder if there is a world where you could do some weird things where like he's flying over, rotating across from the weak side, and play lineups that are like him and KD at the four or five with Booker and Beale and Grayson Allen, and like you have this weird, big, switchable ish group that can hopefully get enough rim protection with him like rotating across and like being like a havo guy, Like he averaged over two blocks a game last year at Virginia playing that like slow dragout style of basketball that Virginia plays, So that that's like a ways away. Still probably that might not be this year that that happens. But if he can shoot, he is truly a ready made defender.
Speaker 2: Like I Sue, I think he looks good.
Speaker 3: And I'm telling you, like last year, do you know how many shots per game he took in his last fourteen games?
Speaker 2: How many he.
Speaker 3: Took five per game in college? Like he had no confidence last year on offense, Like there were games where he didn't look at the rim really and like didn't even really think about trying to score. He looks like a completely different player than what we saw late in his career offensively at Virginia, And I couldn't be more excited for him, because literally every single person that's ever been around Ryan Don will tell you like, unbelievable dude, just incredibly good guy.
Speaker 4: I couldn't be more.
Speaker 3: Excited to see if this ends up being real because if it is, if it is, he's a top one hundred NBA player at some point, not this year, but like he is for sure a top one hundred NBA player that makes nine figures in his life. I really hope the confidence sticks, because if it does, that sons have something very very special here.
Speaker 1: I remember we talked a lot about Ryan Dunn around the draft, and I remember when I was scouting him that that end of the floor was crazy. I just I don't even like I remember watching him on the offensive end and he looked so incredibly out of place, and it is kind of a remarkable transformation. And it's clear that he spent all summer with Kevin, which was a very good idea. But that's high praise from Sam, who I think is the best person covering the draft in the business, and so your son's fans should be excited. The one team we skipped over, I'll just pitch it to you for like, do you have thirty seconds and how you feel about Philly.
Speaker 3: So Philly is just a team that we need to see. I feel like they have all new pieces except for Tyres and Joel and look, I think ty Resee. I said this on my show earlier this week. I think ty Res is going to be their most important player this year. I mean, maybe not most important. I think he's going to be their most valuable overall player this year, just because Joel is seemingly going to miss time, like they're not going to play him in back to backs. He's gonna, you know, try and get healthy for the playoffs, which is the way that they should handle it. I think ty Resee makes all NBA this year. I think he is going to take in another leap from what we have already seen from him previously. Paul George is a big addition for them because he allows them to keep the offense afloat when Joel is out, having both him and ty Resee being able to stagger them potentially you don't have to have, you know, fourteen minutes a game where ty Resee isn't out there and you just have no way to generate offense, right like Tobias Harris generating offense was not something that worked well as all Philadelphia fans value so much better team, very interesting team. I do have them ahead of Phoenix because I think if it all goes right, you can very easily make a choice that they just have more talent, right, but a lot of uncertainty, that's the reality. And look like the last team that we haven't mentioned here, and they will be very angry if we don't mention them. Would I miss the Eastern Conference finalists from last year, the Indiana.
Speaker 1: Pas Yes, the Indiana Pacers the NBA's worst defense in preseasons so far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they don't look great on that end, but Zachi ed just murdered them and just like took their soul. What else say is this? They are unbelievable on offense, Yeah, they are. And they figured out the defense late in the year last year to a passable level with Siakam and Miles Turner playing together and then getting them hard to be able to guard a little bit. Nate Smith, you know, has always been like pretty solid against wings defensively, Nemhar does a solid job on guards.
Speaker 4: There are worlds where I.
Speaker 3: Can see this working for them again, Like their variance is going to be wide because they're a you know, top three offense and a charitably, let's say they could finish you know, sixteenth, seventeenth in defense, but more likely than not, maybe like twentieth. Their games are just gonna have a little bit more variance. But this is like genuinely an unstoppable offense. When they're on the court and when ty Reese is running the show, they do at least like deserve our respect in some way, shape or form or you know, we didn't mention Orlando or Cleveland as well. Orlando is going to be a top three defense probably this year. They're fantastic. I just don't know that they have the shot creation yet to make it work in the playoffs at this point.
Speaker 2: The way they play on offense.
Speaker 3: Totally agree the KCP addition is intriguing because this team was amazing last year with Gary Harris in the lineup, and KCP is like elevated Gary Harris. And then oh, by the way, they now get slack Gary Harris off the bench, which is going to allow them to be like a little bit more functional as opposed to having Joe Ingles, you know coming off the bench for them, who looked, you know, all due respect to my Australian brethren here a bit washed. H. I love this Orlando team. I think they're going to be really I think they might win fifty games in the regular season. I just don't know what it's going to look like in the playoffs for them, so I can't quite put them into this. You know, top ten is contender group.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the offense is just so brutally bad. You know, You've You've always been a person who's a little lower.
Speaker 2: On Pallo than I am.
Speaker 1: And I've watched him in preseason and like and as I rewatched the postseason games as part of my prep for them. Hallo does play a big role in the lack of ball movement. He is a slow decision maker who is incredibly methodical, and he tends to just kind of stand and stare with the ball in his hands for a while. Indiana, well, this is the last thing. I'll quick pitch to you and then we'll be out here for the day. Indiana has good defensive personnel. Why are they so bad?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Nemhart is good, Nie Smith is good, comes good, Turner's good.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 1: Yeah, McConnell fights, like do you do you. I even what's this, I'm blanking on his name, the the like six five sixty six, uh bench wing that can shoot for the matther No, not Ben Mathering, the other that he's a old taller. It's killing Ben Shephard, Ben Shepherd. I think Ben Shephard competes defensively as decent length like they've they've got some guys like I.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's just because do you.
Speaker 1: Think it's like a Carlisle thing or do you think it's like a oh we play with such an absurd pace that the guys just don't have the legs for defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's pace. When I watch them, I just think it's pace. And I will say though that like they didn't have Sacam all year last year, and the defense took a big leap better for sure. So yeah, to me, it's like a depth question, and it's a Seacam hopefully getting there and being consistently available defensively and being the guy that you know, we all think he can be on defense. So look, I think we would just be remiss not to mention them, if only because I do think that they could work in the playoffs. Again, Halliburt and running the show and making elite level decisions. Sam being able to be that kind of half court you know, they're in full transition, you know forward who can guard on the perimeter against certain guys, and who can create shots from the mid post and create shots from the wing and attack and then you know you can play five out with Turner right, Like they have real options, is all I'm saying here. Well, yeah, they have a scheme that really I think flows upward when it comes to successful playoff runs.
Speaker 1: No, I agree with you, And it was more I think I think we I think between Cleveland and Orlando and and Indiana, we we hit the teams that were on the fringes pretty well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would have I would have Indiana honestly ahead of Memphis.
Speaker 4: And interesting contender series.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's that. Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, they've.
Speaker 1: Familiar, like in practice, like they've actually made it, they've done it. Tell us about where we can find your work and anything in particular that you've been working on as of late.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I go to the Game three podcasts with Sam Cini over on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Go there.
Speaker 3: On the many podcasting platforms that you listen to shows on uh do some breakdowns on draft prospects over on the YouTube channel as well. I've done some of the European guys already. Uh Ben Saraf is the recent one I did in ISRAELI kind of leadish six foot five guard.
Speaker 4: That's intriguing. You know.
Speaker 3: I've done Alex Towey and Roko Zakarski over here in Australia. As the college season gets going, I'll do a bunch more of those breakdowns and we'll have some fun with it. Once the NBA season gets gone. I'm excited to do some of those on the rookies, Like I'm really excited to see what Ree Shepperd looks like because he's looked amazing in preseason so far. And then Edie has been really fun, as we mentioned earlier. So go to the Game three podcast, go to the athletic as well. Keep me employed over there, that'd be great. I enjoy working there.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I've done a mock draft over there recently, and I think that CJ. Moore and I might be working on a top twenty five college basketball thing as well, because I end up engaged on that front too because of the draft stuff. So NBA stuff will come at some point once that season starts. But I can't write about preseason basketball.
Speaker 2: I don't blame you.
Speaker 1: I'm yeah, I'm gonna be picking your brain a little bit more of the season because the volume is gonna have me do a weekly college basketball segment.
Speaker 2: So that should be well, that should be interesting.
Speaker 1: We got we got a much more stacked college basketball field. My Arizona Wildcats are ranked ten. We have a Cooper Cooper flag making his college debut with two which should be fun.
Speaker 4: All right, guys, have you have you real quick? Have you watched VJ. Edgecomb yet?
Speaker 2: No? Who's that? He?
Speaker 4: Is it Baylor? Okay, you're going to You're going to like him?
Speaker 2: Is you forward?
Speaker 3: He is a six foot four ish let's go with guard who has more like vertical pop than probably anybody in college basketball this year. It's from the Bahamas. He played on the Bahamian national team when they were trying to make the Olympics this past summer. Already he is he's a dude that you are. You're he's like a leader out there. Like I've kind of talked to, you know, some folks down there and they're just like he's just like already just so good at being our leaders a freshman this year, So yeah, he's a he's a good one.
Speaker 2: I'm excited.
Speaker 1: See twelve basketball is gonna be really fun this year with the Conference RAE alignment. It's gonna be fun. The Baylor didn't move out of the Big twelve, did they? Are they sell in the Big I think.
Speaker 3: So eight people just came out. There are I think five teams in the top ten from the Big ten or Big twelve.
Speaker 1: I saw I saw this random reel on Instagram the other day of a poll of a bunch of coaches asking which team had the most resources for nil and everyone thinks it was going to be Duke or Kansas or Kentucky or someone like that. The name that all the coaches whough out was Arkansas. They're the team that has all the money.
Speaker 3: The three right now that people talk about. I'm not saying that this is the reality. The three that people talk about right now within the industry are Arkansas BYU in Kansas State.
Speaker 2: Hy you interesting? Yeah? Wow? How about that?
Speaker 3: They're all recruiting some of the best players in the country right now pretty heavily.
Speaker 1: That's super fascinating, especially within the context of just how the entire sport is changing. All right, Well, I could talk to you all day, but we'll call it a day for right now. Sam, I appreciate you giving us your time. Everyone, I appreciate for supporting the show. I have one more show this week on Friday, we're gonna do a season preview on the Boston Celtics, as well as probably hit another preseason game or two, and then literally next Tuesday live on YouTube after the final buzzer of Lakers timber Wolves should be a really fun one. I appreciate you guys for supporting the show and for rocking with me. And we'll see you guys next time.
Speaker 2: The volume