Speaker 1: So randomly writer, But both you and I right now are on call for jury.
Speaker 2: Dude, Yeah, gosh.
Speaker 3: Have you ever have either of you ever been picked? Have you ever been like part of a jury?
Speaker 2: Oh story, Yeah, it was wonderful.
Speaker 1: It's a great experience. It was hard, but it was great.
Speaker 4: Picks me. It's like the ninth time.
Speaker 3: I've been on jury duty. Like, but been on call and nobody ever picks me.
Speaker 1: It's super fun.
Speaker 5: And in my jury selection, there was a woman who would just like, I hate cops because they were like, you know, they had there was a component of the case involved, you know, listening to the cops.
Speaker 1: I trust the cops, and she was like, no, I can't.
Speaker 5: And the judge kept he was like, but come on, you've you've had how many bad experiences have you She's like, I don't care, I can't be a I hate cops. And it was just like Okay. After a while, it's like she could just went out, yeah, just get out of here.
Speaker 2: It just lead.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had So the only time I came close, I flew back.
Speaker 3: This was when I was still trying to keep my Connecticut citizenship status, so I would fly back for jury duty from California to keep one.
Speaker 1: Of vid because you thought you were going to move back. Sometimes I thought I was going to move back.
Speaker 3: I was also just from Connecticut. I had my Connecticut driver's license.
Speaker 1: Everything.
Speaker 3: It was just fighting, you know, fighting against living in California, which I've been were for thirty seven years.
Speaker 5: When you flew back, you had to hold on to two eagles to get there, exactly, but the most.
Speaker 1: Powerful eagles in the country, so.
Speaker 3: Bald eagles just and it was just saying America an eagle.
Speaker 1: But no.
Speaker 3: I I got to the Vader section and the guy next to me was shaking, literally shaking, and he just his legs were shaking.
Speaker 1: He just did not want to be there.
Speaker 3: So we had a case where it was like they weren't allowed to write down the victim's name, or they weren't allowed to say it out loud, so they wrote it down on a piece of paper.
Speaker 1: It got to the guy. He opened it. I could tell it didn't even look at him. Yeah I know. Or the judgment what he goes, yeah.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: Or good friends with their family and the judge is like, uh, okay, you're dismissed, like thanks, and he was like he made a shape in the door like Wiley coyote getting out of the thing.
Speaker 1: It was yeah, I know, and.
Speaker 5: That was why people want to get out. So, I mean, I guess just time and stuff, but like.
Speaker 2: Expensive if you if you have a job that you're going to now have to even though they legally have to let you out, you don't get paid for your job and they get you like what fifty bucks a day.
Speaker 1: If I just find it.
Speaker 5: I just found it so educational and it made me feel good about the justice system. You know, I'm sure there are situations where it doesn't make you feel good about the justice system, but in my case, it made it made me feel like, you know, I don't know, I just like only like over a week, so maybe seven days total, that's long.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it was a rape case, which is hard, but it was really Yeah. I still am friends with somebody I met on ur we're on Jurady together when we started running lunch.
Speaker 1: Of course, she's one of the bo Bleys.
Speaker 5: I saw her when we were in North Carolina doing you guys probably met her Aaron.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I was of course perfectly in keeping with writer. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, the the the whole thing is just I'm I'm on pins and needlescause I got a call every night to see if I have to, you know, get to the jury room.
Speaker 1: So I don't know. I personally think there should be professional jurors. No, I think it should be a job. Absolutely. Why not take a bunch of usually people that are retired that when they will get it daid off because they're paid to do it.
Speaker 3: That's like what why because you get the same salary and you actually learn a bit about the about the legal system, and that's.
Speaker 1: Your office to be a jur No, but that's your job.
Speaker 5: No, because the point is to respond without expertise, to respond from just a citizenship level, you know, to not be necessary.
Speaker 3: An expert has to break down scientific you know, facts and all this kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: You have a little bit of of knowledge in this situation, you can.
Speaker 5: But I think no, the whole point is that you're supposed to be, like if you're on trial, you know, you want people who aren't experts so that the lawyers have to present the you know evidence.
Speaker 3: I would argue though, that the person who's like, uh, not doing great in their life right now and is a plumber and called in the jury duty would be easier to bribe than the person who's the professional juror who's making a decent salary to be a.
Speaker 5: Jur you'd think so, but I feel like politics proves otherwise, right.
Speaker 2: I remember from when I was on a jury multiple times it being like somebody saying something like yeah, but I don't believe that, I feel like, and somebody else being like, you know, you're not allowed to go off vibes, man, like we you know, it really has to be about what was presented. And I did find that it was kind of hard for me to take out my feelings from the situation to be like, well, yeah, I mean, and then things that they were like, well that was that was stricken from the testimony, was like but I heard it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't think of a white elephant, don't think of ahant.
Speaker 2: I'm actually not allowed to take that into consideration.
Speaker 1: Am I sure?
Speaker 2: I'm not taking that into considering. Like you're a great double question. You questioned yourself a lot, thankfully in my In my situation, it was like, was this an insurance fraud situation based on a based on an accident that had happened and this person had was trying to get a lifetime's worth of I think PT based on an accident that had happened, but they had also been in several other accidents and had been in PT at other times, Oh my god, for other aspects of their life. And so the company was trying to say you needed PT, and now you're saying we should be this insurance and it's company, this person who hit you should be responsible for PT for the rest of your life based on but you. So it was kind of stuff like that. But yeah, it's it is, it's it's. I agree writer that the educational aspect of it was was fascinating, and I went into it thinking I'm gonna hate this, and then it.
Speaker 3: Didn't didn't need it kind of it's I mean, I would have to miss some podcasts and I'd have to miss some stuff, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
Speaker 2: No, you would enjoy it.
Speaker 3: I think being raised by two lawyers. I still I think I saw my dad in court once. I've never been really in courtrooms or done it, so I think it'd be fun. By the way, I don't know why I said plumbers not making any money. They make so much fortune to make a fortune plumber's four.
Speaker 2: Hundred dollars an hour. Yeah, yeah, that's that's an exaggeration.
Speaker 3: But it's a lot plumber, a lot of money, Yeah, make a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Also worth it. Can't can't do the plumbing. Not gonna, not gonna open that up.
Speaker 1: I honestly think it was so funny.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about that the other day, like, if I went back to school, it would be a trade school, and I think I would learn plumbing. I think that's really yeah, I do. I think it's you're your own boss people. Yeah, I have it all day now, I might as well have the education behind it. For exactly. I'd call it drop a pencil plumbing. See if you could get it right in the.
Speaker 1: Crack or yeah, it'd be great, it could be good.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Podmet's world.
Speaker 1: I'm Daniel Fishl, I'm right or Strong, and I'm Wilford.
Speaker 2: When Corey and Topega found themselves in a less than ideal college living situation, you know, in the Mary dorms that every college offers, they did have at least one thing going for them. A good actress living next door. She played Kelly, the young mom neighbor having issues with her colicky baby visiting the newlyweds for some change of scenery. She stood out during our rewatch, mostly because we've become so used to some par performances from ourselves, and she was just great, subtle, emotional, connected, not checked out. Wonder what that felt like, And then when we started researching her in real life, we realized her on screen talent isn't even the most interesting thing about her. Best known as Audrey Griswold in nineteen ninety seven's Vegas Vacation, she was one of the rotating actresses to play the part, with her version traveling to the City of Sin with her father Clark and finding trouble on the strip with one Nick Papa Georgio. Or more recently, you saw her on Riverdale, where she played Hermione Lodge, Veronica's very cool but also criminally villainous mom, and in movies like Scream two, Can't Hardly Wait and spiral from the Saw franchise, and TV shows galore like Charmed, Beverly Hills, nine O two to zero, Friends, teen Wolf, and twenty four. The list just goes on and on. But outside of the industry, she has somehow worked with former FBI and CIS, Navy seals and local cops to help trap child sex predators in sting operations, acting as bait, playing many roles to help bust criminals, both here in the US and globally. She's even started her own nonprofit organization to spread awareness of the epidemic and prevent more children from becoming victims, especially in our now very online existence. But even with a calling much more important than some nineties TGIF sitcom. She appeared in two episodes of We Have Convinced Her to come on to talk to us today about her time on the set of Boy Meets World and so much more so. Welcome to Pod Meets World. Our neighbor who's getting very little sleep actress and activist Marisol Nichols.
Speaker 4: Hello, okay, iles an hour. Oh because I got a new puppy. Last name?
Speaker 2: Oh goodness, who is that?
Speaker 4: It's not so happy about it? Oh really, Gingerbread, Gingerbread.
Speaker 2: Well, you know that Gingerbread is very tired now because she was up all night.
Speaker 4: All right, yeah, Oh my god, oh my gosh, I can I can that little puppy on.
Speaker 2: I could smell the puppy breath from here. I just love it.
Speaker 4: Was like baby powder.
Speaker 2: It's kind of amazing, so cute, and those super sharp little needle teeth the puppies have are No one's.
Speaker 5: Going to comment that this is like life imitating art because the part you played on Boy Meets World was literally I know, I know.
Speaker 4: I rewatched it. I was like, oh, that's funny and ironic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there it is. Yes, Hello, thank you so much for being here. We are so happy to get to talk to you. We recently watched your episodes of Boy Meets World and we immediately thought, oh, look a real actor working with us.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's so kind.
Speaker 2: You were so so great and so grounded and and we we have talked a lot about in season seven for quite a bit of it, we are very checked out and we can see it in ourselves, and so to see you so grounded and present was really a bright spot fresh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well look coming on too that I would have never even be watching it. I was like, you don't checked out at all. I was like, why this show was was such a success.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, we know that you grew up in Chicago, far away from the bright lights of Hollywood. Were you always an outgoing kid? A child actor type.
Speaker 4: No, not in the least I was. I was really shy. I was really perted for the longest time. And then and then I became like big chip on her shoulder kind of girl who blew off most of high school blew up blockers. I was like a complete problem.
Speaker 1: What you were? Hunter? Were shot? Huntered?
Speaker 2: Really character?
Speaker 1: Character?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: He blew.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I blew up by accident a whole row of freshman lockers.
Speaker 1: How do you How does one do that by accident?
Speaker 4: So, if you remember, in the eighties, they had these clickers which were like curling irons. They didn't have to plug in battery everything in the eighties, so in between classes you could take your clicker and curl your hair really high. And so I was blowing off class as usual during lunch hour and kind of opening up freshman lockers, and I saw this one that didn't have a lock on it. I saw this girl's locker with a one of these buttine curling irons, and so I don't know what I was thinking why, but I took a piece of paper and I wrapped it around it, and I lit it on fire, and I ran downstairs for the lunch room and waited for the big fire alarm, and then when the fire alarm went off and everyone got out of class, I was like, you're welcome, You're welcome, thinking that it was just a fire alarm. So then we were out there for like forty five minutes, and then the bomb squad showed up and I was like, oh, this is bigger than I thought. And they thought a bomb went off because the entire because it was like a bomb, and the entire freshman like that row of freshman lockers blew up amazing, cop oled, Oh.
Speaker 1: Did you cop to it? Did you say it was me?
Speaker 2: It was too late.
Speaker 4: I already told everyone it was me, like an idiot?
Speaker 1: Did you get kicked out of school?
Speaker 4: I got kicked out for ten days, which was actually fine with me because I didn't want to go to school anyway, So I kind of didn't understand the punishment, right, like right, But that's kind of who I was.
Speaker 1: So wow, man, I just.
Speaker 4: Moved to LA when I shot your Guy's show. I think maybe they're like less than a year.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I was not an actor.
Speaker 2: In like ninety eight, ninety eight or ninety nine, is.
Speaker 4: That when we shot it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean okay. No, I moved the end of ninety five.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay. And when you came to La did you already have an agent? When did you decide you were going to be an actor?
Speaker 4: It's really weird, but there was a scout that was coming through, Julie Hutchinson. I wonder if she's still around from universe. She was coming through Chicago and putting all like the Chicago actors on tape, and instead of me doing like a monologue, which you would normally do as a Chicago actor, she's like, you know, you're kind of right for this show that we're trying to cast. Why don't you read for that?
Speaker 2: What was the show?
Speaker 4: It was called My Guys. It was at Sunset Gower, So it was Paul Thomas Witt if you remember. Sure they did Golden Girls, they did, you know, And they ended up like a couple months later flying me out and testing me, which I didn't even know what that meant, and I ended up getting the job, and so I came out with a show. Wow, it was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Record, a criminal record.
Speaker 2: So I did a little math. And it seems as though you booked Vegas vacation real fast after moving to La yeah pretty fast. Like, so you were doing the show. My guys, do you remember the audition for Vegas Vacation.
Speaker 4: Auditions because I auctioned for three months, oh three months of auditioning, and every time I was like, They're never going to cast me, like because to me, you know, Audrey Griswold was like the all American girl, you know, my Marisol, and I was like this little Latina kid from Chicago, Like it's never going to happen. And so they just kept bringing me in and bringing me in, and I think the last one was like, Okay, we're flying you to Vegas to read for it, and I said, okay.
Speaker 2: We need to see you in Vegas.
Speaker 1: You know Ice Scream tested for that, did you. Yeah?
Speaker 5: I read with Chevy like I went back like four or five times too, and then I went I read with Chevy Chase and Brittany Murphy was there audition.
Speaker 4: I think Murphy was originally Cat was.
Speaker 5: Okay, That's what I thought in my mind, Brittany had the part. When I we walked out and like the rest of that day was like, oh Brittany got this part. Yes, And then I never saw the movie or anything. I guess I was just you know, like I didn't get it.
Speaker 4: I did the exact same thing. I don't know, Oh you didn't hire me, fine, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brittany.
Speaker 4: They offered it to Brittany work, and I guess she turned it down, and so then they flew me out last minute to Vegas and we're like, okay, well let's do her again, and then I ended up doing it. Yeah wow, But that was that was the first time I've ever even been on a movie set, so I didn't know. I didn't know anything. I didn't know what a mark was like, I didn't. I didn't know anything that's brand new.
Speaker 2: And you hadn't like doing the show doing my guys, you didn't learn any of that stuff, Like you didn't you didn't have I did, but.
Speaker 4: We only did like six episodes, OK, so I was still like brand new. And I came from theater, so that was sort of like theater because it was a live audience, you know. Yeah, and so I was like, well, I'm just going to do that thing like the theater thing. So this was sort of you know, there's a lot longer, you know, all day on one scene, it was a very yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: What was shooting in like, yeah Vegas, real Vegas casinos, Like.
Speaker 4: I was okay. So we were doing split shifts, which was like I was dead, you know, like I was starting work sometimes at two in the afternoon and getting home at like four in the afternoon or four in the morning and walking through a casino.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So if you imagine after working fourteen hours and then I actually have actually have a funny Vegas story, but it's gonna paint me in a very bad light. So just know the worst.
Speaker 1: School.
Speaker 4: I didn't go for it. But again, I was a very different person back then totally. So I had to get up. I think it was I was getting up at four in the morning per pickup, you know, you know what it is. And they and we were staying all on the top of Canna, like the whole crew, almost everyone was staying in the Tropic caanist in piece exactly, and the room next to me at like midnight, I was having a giant party and it was loud, and I was like, I have to get up in four hours, and so I called downstairs and I was like, Hey, I'm here with the movie. Is there any way you could just move me for the night. Just so I can sleep because there's a party next door, and like, we'll get back to you. Instead, they sent security over there to tell them to keep it down. So the guy, you know, so I hear through the walls at you. It's Vegas. It's in hindsight, I understand. But I had to get up for work. Yeah, And so I didn't sleep at all. And at four in the morning, when I was about to walk out the door, they were quiet, and I was like, oh, and like every evil my turn exactly. And so I had my big, like ghetto blaster that I had brought from home because I was there for three months, and I put like Metallica and like whoever else I had on CD and moved the speaker against the door. Oh up, and pressed clay and walked out.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's great, love it.
Speaker 1: He has to say.
Speaker 4: Production moved me too. I moved to a condo after that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, they really should have thought about the idea that Gus needs to stay somewhere where they can get good rest, not in a casino there.
Speaker 3: Now, there's obviously been story after story that has come out lately about Chevy Chase and what it's like to work with him.
Speaker 1: Did you have a good experience shooting the film? That's great?
Speaker 4: He was fantastic. He like I remember I invited him out to pool and he came. I was like really and he came and he played pool with like with me, and and he was great. He was fine. I think he was so at the time, like Howard Stern was attacking him, like everyone was kind of like on and I don't know if that humbled him, but he was nice. He was super nice. He took me. He was great.
Speaker 1: He was glad to hear that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was great. Was he good with you when we tested with him?
Speaker 1: No? No, it's horrible. Was he really smoking a cigar while we were in the room? Like you know?
Speaker 5: And like I forget, I just have such negative feelings, like it was not good. Like I just remember feeling challenged by him. I'm not sure what he said or what he did, but it was not like a, hey, let's be funny together, let's have fun.
Speaker 1: It was like showmo, you got kid? Is that all you got?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Is that vibe? And I just remember walking out being like, straight, I don't want this job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm so sorry. That totally stuns. I'm glad, it's fine with me. God, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Another one of your very early jobs must have been a little intimidating. You were on Beverly Hills nine O two one oh. It was like the hottest show at the time, a position you would find yourself in a few years later. Also on Friends, What is your secret to feeling comfortable and avoiding imposter syndrome in these high pressure situations?
Speaker 4: Good? I think the whole time, I'm like, I guess, I think it's still gonna go away, like it's not really happening, like like like like the thing, like they're never gonna hire me, why would you have me? Like that whole And then I get there and and Friends was a bit of a like oh god, and I'm like supposed to pretend kiss Joey, which was like whoa, and like and I'm just trying to play cool, like you know, you're just trying to not make a jerk out of yourself, and like right, just gonna blend in, blend in, and I don't know what I'm doing here, and that kind of that kind of thing. But fortunately, like with those, like I've been on sets where they weren't so nice. These guys were super nice before nice. Like when you've got like a well oiled machine and then you've got new guys coming into that, that's really hard. I've been on the other side of it where guest stars would come in and we're a well oiled machine and for them it's kind of it's overwhelming. And it makes such a difference when everyone's nice and you guys were super nice. The friends cast were super nice. Nino too, when no guys are super nice. So it made it very very It made it comfortable. I was very lucky like that. You know, not all sets are like that. Yes, you know?
Speaker 2: Okay, well good. Now before we get into Boy Meets World, I'm gonna make you pick between two movies here, which one was more fun to shoot? Scream two or can't hardly wait? And why.
Speaker 4: Scream two? Yeah, because I got to hear the voice like that was And so when I got to answer the phone and I heard like, hello Sydney, I was like, oh, like because I was such a fan, and I was such a fan of scary movies at the time, so I think Scream too, because it was just legend, you know what I mean. We can't hardly. Wait was like everyone in town is in this freaking movie, and I'm a little like I hope I do a good job, and like it was a little like okay, but Scream two was amazing and we're shooting nights and Sarah and Michelle Geller couldn't have been nicer. Like it was like, okay, good, this is good because you never know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, you could go either way.
Speaker 4: Go either way exactly, So I'd say Scream too. And Wes Craven was iconic, you know, yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Jumping into Boy Meets World, you play Corey and Tapega's neighbor, a young mom named Kelly living in the married dorm. Do you remember your audition at all?
Speaker 4: I think I don't. Okay, I think what happened if I'm not mistaken, and maybe you guys know this, I'm ninety percent sure you had. There was an actress that was hired before me. Oh, they they got Oh they replaced somebody, and I replaced somebody. Oh. I was really nervous. Yeah, so that's what happened. And I was more nervous because I didn't audition. Are they going to like what I'm doing with this?
Speaker 2: Like, is this, okay, So how did who did you know that?
Speaker 1: Were you?
Speaker 2: Someone was like, let's get Marisol in here.
Speaker 4: I think maybe it was because I had done nine O two one? Oh, I had done Vega.
Speaker 2: But do you think it was casting or do you was it Michael? Okay? Casting?
Speaker 4: None of you? Because I didn't know anybody?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: Did you?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Were you? Were you there for the table read or did you come in?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wonder we must have read with somebody else, and god, I don't remember that at all.
Speaker 4: Okay, I didn't do a table reading.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah, we must have been there with somebody else.
Speaker 4: And then your director was what's your director's name? He was super nice.
Speaker 2: Well we had the week the who did was it McCracken's Jeff McCracken.
Speaker 1: Very tall guy, tall, good looking dude.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was really welcoming, like he was real. Okay, probably, but it was I remember there was a lot going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was going on.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You probably then also would have hopped right into It would have been a Monday, so you would have had a producers run through on like your first day of work.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, okay, I'm curious, what do you mean by there was a lot going on.
Speaker 4: Well I can't remember, Like I remember the producers weren't very happy.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, and I didn't know why.
Speaker 4: I didn't know why, and so there were someone was very angry.
Speaker 1: Remember, I feel like we felt this when we were watching.
Speaker 5: This is the episode where we were like something was going on.
Speaker 4: It was very and I and I it was. That was also like my first experience of seeing.
Speaker 1: That this is after the honeymoon, right, this is post honeymoon. You guys came the honeymoon. It would have been following that.
Speaker 4: And yeah, somebody was. They were just they were very forceful in their notes.
Speaker 1: We'll put it to that.
Speaker 4: Every day like everyone was sitting down and it was like time for a meeting or something. Yeah, no, that's just every Yeah, and it was very I was like, wow, okay, okay, oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah that no, that was okay. So nothing was going on. That was just everything.
Speaker 2: It was just a normal one day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so interesting. Did you know of the show before you ended up on our set?
Speaker 4: Yeah for sure. Yeah. It was fun. I mean for me, I was still this like new kid from Chicago and like there's there's something really not like there's something really I think magical about being still green and not going up in the business and like, okay, like there was a there was a freedom. I think that I had that kind of changes a little as you go through the business, you know what I mean, you learn the ropes and you understand how things go. But there was more of I think there was more of like an innocence and a freedom to create that that comes with being brand new.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you remember the baby a little?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Because I wasn't.
Speaker 4: I wasn't. Was it a real baby? It was a real baby.
Speaker 2: I think there was a real baby in the second episode.
Speaker 1: I think it was right.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's at least one shot of the real baby.
Speaker 4: I remember that. Yeah. And I wasn't like my daughter is the first time I've ever changed the diaper in my life. Oh no, I didn't never babysat. I just wasn't. And so I remember like, oh, okay, are you sure all right?
Speaker 2: You trust me with this baby?
Speaker 4: Like okay, okay, yeah, And I love how like caught like calmly, I handle over to you. Okay you could you watch my baby?
Speaker 1: So that was the thing.
Speaker 3: We were always amazed by your character that like you never knocked. You just kind of walked in with a baby, like, hey, here's a baby.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to find your second episode. I can't find. I'm trying to look at the second follow.
Speaker 2: It would have been right after it, just the one right after it. So Jerry Levine.
Speaker 4: Says, Jerry Levine, So there you go, Jerry.
Speaker 1: So it was Jerry. Okay, okay, Jerry.
Speaker 2: So Jerry would have as the director been very warm and welcoming and as an actor, so yes.
Speaker 4: Yes, he was an actor. I remember a record he was in Team Wolf.
Speaker 1: He was Styles from Team Wolf, Styles and Teen Wolf.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's amazing, Okay.
Speaker 3: And he was one of he was that producer, one of that producer's best friends. They grew up together. Oh wow, okay, so yeah, my one of Michael Jacob's best friends ever.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, during our rewatch, we found ourselves wishing that you had stuck around as Corey and Topanga's neighbor, like a glimpse into another side of early adult decisions. Do you remember if it was always supposed to only be two episodes for you?
Speaker 4: I think it was like possibly recurring, because I think it depended on where you were and I could see that. Like, when rewatching the alisodes, I'm like, oh, yeah, I could have seen that.
Speaker 2: Yes, it would have actually been great to see your your experience have more of an impact on Corey and Topanga in their future. Do you remember watching the episode when it aired?
Speaker 4: Did you watch I didn't watch that then. Yeah. I didn't watch myself. Now I do, but I didn't back then because I was like, it's just weird, and I don't know.
Speaker 1: Even Vegas vacation. Did you go to the premiere or do any of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: We didn't have a premiere, And I remember there was a billboard.
Speaker 1: On Okay, that's cool.
Speaker 4: Oh I got a billboard that was amazing. And then I did. I didn't end up watching it in the I did end up watching it in the theater. I did because I was like, this is kind of cool and kind of weird and and I'd never seen my face that big, so it's you know, and why did I let them? Why did I wear my hair like that? And like things like that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: So yeah, so funny.
Speaker 2: Okay, you were in so much great TV and movies. Have you ever been recognized for Boy Meets World?
Speaker 1: Yes? Really?
Speaker 4: Eat yes, because people. You guys had huge fans, so one and it'll be like really, like I expect like twenty four to come off, but boy needs all. I'm like, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, I was on that show that.
Speaker 4: Well, it's just because you guys had what hundreds of episodes I'm assuming for one hundred episodes at.
Speaker 2: Least one hundred and fifty eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's a lot.
Speaker 2: So I want you to know you and will have have something in common a love for fantasy and sci fi books.
Speaker 1: Oh really, are you a fantasy fan?
Speaker 2: Do you want to trade suggestions?
Speaker 4: Have you seen Project tail Mary yet?
Speaker 1: No? I hear It's amazing. It's so good. I can't wait. I can't wait. I'm supposed to go on Thursday. So wasn't it from the same guy who did The Martian? Yes? Yeah, so, I mean The Martian was phenomenal.
Speaker 4: Have you read the book? No, you have to read the book.
Speaker 1: Have you read the book writer?
Speaker 4: No? I just went and saw it, and I was book I've ever read in my life, like every Place enders game, like it is incredible, and so my biggest thing was, like, how is the story going to go compared to the movie, compared to the book, and they did read the book. They did a great job. The book is even more.
Speaker 1: Are you more fantasy or are you more sci fi?
Speaker 2: Both?
Speaker 3: Okay, that's that's that's that can be rare in the community to.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm mostly fantasy. This is all my this is my fantasy collection right behind me. So this is uh yeah, I'm a giant fantasy nerd.
Speaker 4: Oh that's amazing. Okay, Oh that's great. Yeah, I love but but but you have to read the book.
Speaker 1: Okay, I hear.
Speaker 3: I heard the movies just unbelievable, and apparently you have to see it in imax.
Speaker 1: Everyone's like, you just have to.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I started out an Imax crying. But it's incredible.
Speaker 1: It's okay, I can't wait now.
Speaker 2: It feels like Riverdale has some similar qualities to Boy Meets World with its cult connection to die hard fans. Was it fun for you to work with and help guide a new generation of actors on that show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, the guiding only happened first season until we went big and then we got this. But it was really funny, especially I got to reunite with Luke Perry again and that was that was really really cool, and he remembered me, which was amazing.
Speaker 2: What was he like to work with?
Speaker 4: He was great. He was such a pro and so great and has such great stories, like just amazing stories and very generous as an actor, like very much like a two way hollow. We've seen as great as we can make it.
Speaker 3: So he's one of those guys you never hear a bad thing about ever. Not a single person I've ever talked to has worked with him, met him anything ever said a bad thing about that man.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 4: He was just amazing. And we had like a little contest of me and Cammy versus Luke and kJ of who bonded more. Were like, well we hung out or Cammy came over and Luke was like, yeah, me and kJ went camping.
Speaker 1: Were you an Archie fan going into the show at all?
Speaker 4: A little bit, yeah, a little bit. Yeah, So I knew who I didn't know who Hermione he was, so I was like, who's Fromione? And then when I saw the character, I was like, I can't play her? And then they changed the whole thing around. It was pretty awesome, but a little bit of a fan, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: That was my that was my jam growing up when I was a little kid. Oh really, Archie comics all over the place.
Speaker 4: Amazing. Okay, so yeah we were very different, yes, very much, so very very different.
Speaker 2: Well, we have to get into your work as an undercover decoy in sex trafficking sting operations. We read that in our research originally, and we assumed you're the only I assume you're the only Boy Meets World guest star who has done this. Unfortunately we can't ask Phyllis Diller, but how did you get into this?
Speaker 4: I fell in. I fell into it. I had a woman who was briefing me on the most horrific things that you could possibly ever hear right after I had my baby, and just to be totally blunt, I was completely overwhelmed and horrified and couldn't sleep, and you know, she would show me videos like it was. It was rough, and I was like, well, I either am going to go crazy like just not being able, or I can do something about it and see if this will help me sleep and be a better mom and figure this out, rather than like, you know, go you know, completely terrified, and so I just like, well, okay, let me just learn as much as I can to figure out if there's something I can do about it. And so then I just started diving in and diving in and meeting with everybody and anybody who would meet with me so I could basically learn and figure out what I could do. And then when I did all that, my decision was like, Okay, this is no one knows about this. Back then. This is twenty twelve, twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen, no one knows. So I was like, Okay, the only people that know about this are all the bad guys. So if I can make enough noise and the good people know about it, maybe we're all together figure out what to do about it. And so at at the same time, you know, I was going to like some Hollywood charity that some magazine was sponsoring, and Associated Press were there, and they give you that little cheat sheet when you're walking the red carpet. So when Access Hollywood goes, why are you here? Yeah, I'm here because you know so and so and I care about water and I care about this. When you really just memorize the cheat sheet. So I was doing that and I was like, well, what if I did the same thing for trafficking and I gave the cheat sheet to like co stars, and I invited access Hollywood and so I literally put it together and kind of did that. Yeah, and then I neither a keynote speaker or my second year of putting together this event, and this guy came along that was XCIA and former Homeland Security that just did undercover operations for his entire career. And we hit it off because I was like, where have you been. I've been looking for who gets the kids? Like it's one thing to like learn all about it, it's one thing to rehabilitate, it's one thing to educate who gets the kids? That was all I cared about. And so we just hit it off. And one day he said, you want to come with me on an op and I'm like sure to walk? He said yeah, and I'm like okay, So with me and his sister and a couple other people and we went to Haiti and it was like whoa. And then on the way back he was like, you actually I could use a female. We're about to go get some intel from this guy. Why don't you like come along and maybe you could you want to do that? And I was like, okay, what do you want me to do? And he's like okay, so you're in. You're the female who travels with us, who puts together these parties. And here's a baseball cap with the undercover like a little recording thing, and you're gonna put this pin on so we can record audio. And we got the camera there, and we're just gonna talk and get information because we didn't know where the guy's going next, so we can follow him.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 4: Are you ready? Let's go?
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean, in fear for your safety. I mean, this is this is a world of not that one, but come back.
Speaker 1: I mean it's like as.
Speaker 4: God because it worked because I could pull it off and and you know, I'm an actress and so I didn't look like like they look like cops so big, you know, raw exe military you could tell, you know, and I don't look like one.
Speaker 3: And so I'm not trying to make a joke, but I mean you're one, but not just that, but you're also you're one person who's seen Vegas vacation away from getting ratted out, right, I mean what I mean you could have.
Speaker 4: Been all got bigger. I had to wear different disguises and I had to like use accents and like contact lenses and like change everything because my biggest protection was going to be them not recognizing me. Right when you go to these horrific situations and these third world countries or your meeting pedophiles, they don't watch Riverdale, right, so it's not they're not exactly the audience for it. I was more worried about the other Americans that were customers. I was more recognizing me than the trafficker. But to answer your question, yes, terrified, like second guessing it the entire time. I one time I wrote a note to my daughter just in case I didn't come back. Oh, it was, it was. It was, you know, it was rough. It was. It was as raw as it gets as.
Speaker 1: Right, How long did you do this for?
Speaker 4: Off and on for a decade? I mean my last one was a year and a half ago. I got deputized as a sheriff with the sheriff in Michigan. But that stuff's easy because then you've got cops there and they're all, they're all, you know, they've got weapons on them. And it's not that that's not as scary to me as when we're in third world countries and it's yeah, for all, that's a food all.
Speaker 1: How does it compare to like acting.
Speaker 5: I mean, is it the same muscle, is it the same process or does it feel different or is there a different skill set?
Speaker 4: I'm a way better actor when I'm acting. For my life, my entire like existence rests on ends vincing them that I am who I say I am, and and this character that I am being I am I am committing to. There's no cut. You know, you're one hundred percent committed to this character. And I have to make sure that they I am who I am and my accent is fucking perfect and they buy it.
Speaker 1: How much?
Speaker 3: How much did the kind of bad you said you were growing up, the different person that you were kind of play into what you were doing?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 4: It kind of it's funny because it kind of came full circle because to me, the girls that I was trying to help rescue and help like I would have like had that been now, like I was misrun away, I'm to run away, I'm doing drugs, I'm doing like I was such a rebellious little girl that now, if that had been now, I would have been taken. I would have been fallen into that trap or a heartbeat, thinking that you know everything, you're just naive and you don't know anything. You don't know it, and you think you know your home is the worst place that you could be, and so you're willing to be anywhere else, and then anywhere else turns out to be very very real.
Speaker 2: Right right, and you're like, oh, my life at home was actually easy. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I felt an obligation. I felt an obligation to do whatever I could to help possibly either get them out of that situation or put one of those guys that would do this to another one behind bars so that another girl this didn't happen to. I felt obligated to be totally blunt. I felt obligated.
Speaker 3: God, did you ever think there was a time that it's like nope, covers blown, whatever, I'm screwed here really.
Speaker 4: Terrifying. Oh god. I remember like going to my partner and I'm like literally under my breath, like pretending to take a drink because they're giving us drinks and trying to get me drunk, and like and I'm like, I can't do this, I can't do this, and he's like, yes you can, Yes you can.
Speaker 2: Terrified, like yeah, wait, they're trying to get you drunk? Why so that you'll.
Speaker 4: Because that's what these people do. I mean, these people drink, right, this is a world where they're they're partying, they're drugs, they're high, they're they're doing the most debaucherous things. And I'm supposed to be that person, right, You're supposed to have to figure out how to take a drink and spit it out without them seeing with cameras around, like I had to do the whole shebang.
Speaker 3: What do you do if they're like, I'm sorry, this is so fascinating to me. What do you do if they like offer you drugs like they want. I've seen movies where they're like, I want, you need to do drugs in front of me.
Speaker 4: How I was going to do? Oh man, act my way through it, yeah, act my way through it. Figure it out? No, no, no, I want I want to be aware so I can watch everything. I like it better this way. I don't know, right, figure it out as you I mean you literally just figure it out as you as you go. There's no there's a script, there's no nothing. There's an objective. So crazy to objective? This is those guys. What are the exits, what are the entrances, what are the ages of the girls, what are the things so we can get all that information over to the guys that are then going to come in as a second team and take them all down. But it's it's.
Speaker 3: I don't know why when Danielle is telling us about all this stuff, because you know they we do the research and everything, but Danielle puts everything together and she was telling us about this. In my head, I thought you were like on Chris Hansen dateline where you're like the girl people come to the house.
Speaker 1: The idea that you're insane, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: I mean, like I actually did the Chris Hansen thing. Actually don't know when my episode airs, but I did the thing in Michigan. And that's easy. It's so easy everywhere, Like who cares?
Speaker 2: What did you play? What role did you play in the Chris Hansen the decoy?
Speaker 4: You know, sixteen year old deep?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you played it, played the girl?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know, yeah completely. But that's that's the easy part. That those things are the third one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the idea of wearing a wire in a third world country is that's a different no wire no why okay?
Speaker 1: But you had the camera though, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's just that was in one of the situations where we're interviewing the guy. When we're going into the trafficking situation, we don't have anything that's a different story. That is a surrounded you are.
Speaker 2: In a and that's for your safety actually.
Speaker 4: Exactly their territory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because if they discovered your wire, then you're done. Done.
Speaker 1: You just disappear, You just disappear.
Speaker 4: That was my biggest concern was, like, they're gonna what if they take me? What if they shoot my partner?
Speaker 1: Get was it just two of you? How many people are normally doing this?
Speaker 4: Well, it was two of us. It was three of us to go into some of these situations because it made sense. But then we've got a whole team behind us that are like either circling in vans or like i mean, I hate to say it, but we've got safe houses in case they hear gunshots. Yeah, and then we have escape routes for us to run in case something goes bad.
Speaker 2: Like it's and who are you playing in this?
Speaker 4: It depends on the situation. Sometimes I'm a customer, Sometimes I'm a trafficker who's like interviewing some of the merchandise wants to learn. Sometimes I'm I'm a girl who's being trafficked, Like it just depends on the situation and what works.
Speaker 1: Please tell me you're writing a film about this.
Speaker 4: And at one point it's funny because at one point Sony bought my life rights when it all came out, like Okay, what do you want to do? And I was like, I want to make a TV show, like the word out right. And then we pitched everyone like we had a show, we had a script, had a showrunner, everything, and we pitched like we pitched Apple, and we pitched Amazon and Hulu and other people, and everyone was like, no, we don't want to do a show on trafficking. And then Sound of Freedom came out like six months later.
Speaker 2: Right, it's.
Speaker 4: So but yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my god, I couldn't imagine.
Speaker 4: I can't and I understand it because it's really I mean, it's dark.
Speaker 2: It's dark. Yeah, it's dark.
Speaker 4: It's as dark as it gets.
Speaker 2: Well, we know you have your own nonprofit organization focusing on things like protecting our kids online and even sharing your own experiences in the field. It's called the Foundation for a Slavery Free World. How can people learn more about it?
Speaker 4: Well, they can go on Slavery freeworld dot org and there I also have education materials and that. But I also do a podcast called the Marason Nichols Podcast where I have like guys that I've gone under cover with different experts in the field, like experts from like the National Center for Missing Exploded Children. This is how you keep your children shape? These are the things you just like. More experts from META, like literally the Global Safety for Meta on there telling parents and teenagers how do you protect themselves online and what to look for and all all of those things. So you can always go.
Speaker 2: On my great Marathon Nichols podcast. That's amazing. One last thing, you are you aware that you were in exactly twenty four episodes of twenty four? Do you think that's a sign at all?
Speaker 4: I was just so happy I didn't die because I was waiting to die. Like every time you get the script, you're like, did I die? Am I alive?
Speaker 5: On right?
Speaker 4: I'm still happy.
Speaker 1: There are so many shows that are like that. They said that when you know twenty four is one.
Speaker 3: Sopranos was one these kind of shows where you just they wouldn't tell you and then you'd read the script and be like, oh, this is my last week.
Speaker 2: It is, here's my last day.
Speaker 1: I didn't imagine that rough.
Speaker 2: H How old is your daughter now?
Speaker 4: She's seventeen?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Yeah, would you ever let your daughter get into the entertainment industry? Is she in the entertainment industry?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: She she is more behind the scenes. So she's an artist. She's an incredible artist. It's ridiculous. Her stuff's like slowly starting to go viral now, which is amazing. She's like, look, eleven thousand views on my old cool. Her heart doesn't pray itself on social media ever, just which is really amazing.
Speaker 1: Is she a painter? What kind of medium is it?
Speaker 4: She draws? She's an artist. She creates all these but she's like, she creates all these characters and then she makes soundtracks and theme songs for each character, colors, wardrobes, like she's creating a whole show. She'll be one for me. She'll be one of those guys on like on YouTube that created a show and made like a zillion dollars.
Speaker 2: She's like, let's plug her social media so we can find it. Yeah, it's Rainy Laney, Rainy Laney, Okay, because her name is rain cute.
Speaker 4: And she won't let me follow her because she's worried that people will follow her because of me.
Speaker 2: It's a thing she wants her own identity. Yeah, r A I N E y dot l A I N y Okay, great, rainy cute, amazing.
Speaker 3: So she is she big into like like the manga stuff and yeah, but she like if you can think of is yeah.
Speaker 1: She it's anime. Is she big into kind of anime?
Speaker 3: She was?
Speaker 4: And then she's such a good kid, Like, I'm very lucky she's she's not like me at all.
Speaker 1: She's not blowing up bers.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, No, it's too inappropriate. Okay, and like she would fast forward friends because she's like it's too inappropriate.
Speaker 1: Wow her, this is coote. Yeah, it's very very.
Speaker 2: So cool. Well, Marisol, thank you so much for being here and your very interesting life with us. Good luck getting some sleep tonight with Gingerbread. It looks like gingerbreads out for a while. So you know what they say, sleep when the baby.
Speaker 1: Sleep, Sleep when the puppy sleep, Sleep when the puppy sleeps.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, my gosh, you look at that face. So time for you to just lay right down next to her exactly.
Speaker 4: Thank you guys, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: It was great to see you by bye bye. That is it's an incredible Yeah, what a I just could never do that. That's the thing.
Speaker 3: So soon and I talk about stuff like this as somebody who deals with anxiety, trying to go into into situations where you have to be like.
Speaker 1: The cool cost like in my head and be like, yeah, I could do that. There's no way, no way able to do any of that stuff. Freaking I think I've said it before.
Speaker 5: I get nervous at airport security when I've done nothing wrong right exactly.
Speaker 3: Nothing behind you with the lights on, it's like, oh my god, nine nine gallons of heroin on me, Like, no, I've got nothing?
Speaker 1: Why am I so upset?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I couldn't imagine what a life?
Speaker 3: I mean again, Danielle, when you told us, I thought it was like, yeah, she's doing it all here and it's that kind of stuff where she's online like pretending to be something, going into like Haiti to do this stuff that's insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, certain toughness. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I should have asked her did it end up making her feel better or did it make her? Did it stress or you know, like she ran into it thinking like I'm not able to sleep, I have a baby, and it's ruined my life the things I can't unhear.
Speaker 5: And she was motivated by doing good for the world though, and I think she's kind of feel good about that.
Speaker 3: But I want to I didn't want to get too much gingja, but I wanted to ask about the first friend who was showing her all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It was like, was that the government showing or was that just a friend like showing her all like stuff.
Speaker 2: I think I think it was somebody whose works in the field. It was like, I do this work, and here are the stories that I have because of it, not like a friend who's just like watched this.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, awfulness, Yeah yeah, no, no, no, yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: Well anyway, thank you for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com. And we've got merch.
Speaker 3: I got nothing, I got nothing merch I got I'm still I'm still nervous for the stuff she did years ago, exactly, so I got nothing.
Speaker 2: Mer pod Meets Worldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 1: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 3: Podmeets World is nheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong executive producers, Jensenkarp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbaksh producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmeets World Show or email us at Podmeets World Show at gmail dot com