Speaker 1: Hi, Sabrina, Hey Will, were you excited for this one?
Speaker 2: I got my new Dott Hawaiian shirt. The journeys do.
Speaker 1: Of course, you need to have one to party during the day and one to party at night. Everybody knows that about shirts.
Speaker 2: True, that's true.
Speaker 1: But I know you were such a fan of the first one.
Speaker 2: I know, and I'm I was nervous. I was nervous, Okay, nervous going into it.
Speaker 1: I was nervous going in and let I leave it at that. I was.
Speaker 2: I was so nervous because I'm like, you know, this is this is my top three, this is my Mount Rushmore. You know, of of the the d coms for me. You know this, you know, and we all know a second one doesn't doesn't always mean it's as good or better or the same, you know. I just I was nervous, especially because you know, I love myself some Brandon.
Speaker 1: Banks, I know, I know we all do, and he's friend of the show. So we'll get into it.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: First of all, right, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your PJS and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart. The Waves Tsunami's two suit. I just did there, Yeah, and I said, how's it smart? Welcome back to the show. I'm Will for Dell.
Speaker 2: And I'm Sabrina Brian.
Speaker 1: Aloha, Aloha aloha. Yes, it is time to surf the turf and take on a longboarded, long requested sequel. We're trading in the waves for dirt to watch the two thousand and seven sequel to Johnny Tsunami, now with a more fitting title, Johnny Kappahala back on board. Okay, so we talked about I'm not even gonna get into it yet. We're back here, we are, we're doing some sequels. We've been here a while. But this was when I was nervous for you because for our producers this would be like we did double Teamed two. So I, uh, what I like.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's quite as fair.
Speaker 1: You loved it.
Speaker 2: You loved it, but it's because it was a great movie.
Speaker 1: It was a great movie. It was a great movie. Double two so much. This movie debuted on the Disney Channel June eighth, two thousand and seven, a whopping eight years after the original. Talk about striking while the iron is cold, That is quite a down period for the series. You have to wonder if kids watching the channel in two thousand and seven even knew the first movie existed. I mean again, that's the thing about Disney Channel eight years later, if you watched it even at eight, yeah, you're probably still not watching Disney Channel at sixteen. Maybe, but probably not. It's very niche, so much.
Speaker 2: A new generation that have their eyes on this now franchise.
Speaker 1: So that's probably why they didn't call it Johnny Tsunami two, because there was no recognition. Furthering that point, John Kapahaala Back on Board brought in only one point eight million viewers, which is a very disappointing number for the era. Keep in mind in two thousand and seven, that same year, Twitch Is to this time It's Personal brought in about seven million viewers, and High School Musical two broke every record of the world possible with seventeen point two million, So one point eight million. It was like I watched it by myself. Now, though the movie's essence is based in Hawaii, it was actually shot in New Zealand, more specifically West Auckland. This is a trade we've seen before and a common move by d Coom's looking, you know, for Hawaii, so for some reason they go to a much farther away place. It has to be a money thing, it has.
Speaker 2: Absolutely dan it's want to become our new Toronto.
Speaker 1: To be honest, it exactly we've got. Now we've got to add a New Zealand to the mix. But yeah, we need a three sided coin, which I don't know if we're gonna be able to find. And we should address the elephant in the room right now. The movie is not about surfing, that's right. This movie, a sequel to a film about surfing, is about mountain boarding.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Had you ever heard of mountain boarding before this movie?
Speaker 2: I hadn't. I hadn't.
Speaker 1: Well, it was really popular for this one month in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: I don't know why. Though it was coolist. This was the coolest looking I was like, wow, so dangerous.
Speaker 1: Kind of disagree. Really, yes, part of it looks cool, But then when the boards attached your feet, they could do one trick move, they could spend okay, like you're on a skateboard, you could do a whole bunch of stuff. I guess if you're in a pipe you can do the same. I guess if you get really good, you could do the same stuff you do on a snowboard because you're attached to a snowboarding Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I guess to me it was an annie up because it looked so much more dangerous than snowboarding in the sense that like rocks and just like the snow at least, especially if you're not going off terrain like in the in the snow, you're not going off the path. That's kind of what is it groomed right, and you go into like the woody wood area of the snowboarding, stop, get that's scary. But this was like, there's no way to groom it. That was literally just like go find a mountain. Yeah, find the ditches in the mountain. Don't find them, hit them correctly, don't hit them.
Speaker 1: This was dangerous, Yeah, super dangerous. I guess you're right. I guess you're right. If you if you like snowboarding, this would be a natural progression you could kind of do it. But they tried this with skiing too. They tried land skiing in like the eighties, and it just never worked.
Speaker 2: So I have anywhere that it's a fine video of that because.
Speaker 1: You do it's really funny because their shorts and everything, like we're land skiing, and it just didn't look good the entire cast. By the way, I had to learn how to mountain board, which is no easy task, but the movie employed some mountain board experts to not only help but double for jumps and stunts. We've got a Cony Kama who was the main consultant, Leon Robbins, Cody Stewart, Jared Cronin, Ryan Slater, Ben Toolman, and Joe Lowry, who of course are all household mountain boarding names if you ask me. The dcom also got a home video and DVD released something that was more successful than the lousy premiere just a few months after the airing on October ninth. Now, without spoiling your thoughts on the movie, do you still wish it was about surfing because it was such an important part of the first movie? Yes, me too. Why would you not do this about surfing.
Speaker 2: Even if we could have just gotten a couple more surfing moments? Just just I really felt that was lacking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I felt exactly the same way as you did, surf.
Speaker 2: Make it about surfing, especially knowing the one thing that I did know that about this movie was it was It was filmed in New Zealand. Yeah, because I and I told us yeah, now back on board. So it was a little bit like I was waiting for it to happen and it just never did.
Speaker 1: No, I did. It's Johnny Sunami too. It's about crocheting, like wait what So now, musically this sequel did feel more Disney Channel than maybe the actual movie did. The soundtrack feature the one and only Joe Bros. Who were signed to Hollywood Records at the time. The song hold On from their two thousand and seven self titled album, and it was used in a montage and I'm sure most of our producers sang along with it the second it came on. We also hear plain White teas of Hey there, Delilah fame and music from two bands we know nothing about, Wide Awake and Dark Black T Shirt, which was I'm kidding, that's not that was a joke. T Squad is the other one worth noting here. One of the members of T Squad was Boo Boo Stewart, who would later see as Jay in the Descendants franchise. So it all comes back around and despite the rough reception, Johnny Kapahaala Back on Board did win two awards, the Humanities Prize for Children's Live Action and Award. The original movie was nominated for but didn't win, and it's weird that that didn't. The first one didn't win, but this one did, and it won the WGA Award for Children's Long Form Script. It also won the award for only mountain boarding movie ever made. I think it would be safe to say that we're not talking out of school. Johnny Appalla is negatively received, especially when you take into consideration that the original film is considered a absolute dcom classic. We all loved it. Great movie. Okay, so obviously both us knew this movie existed. We've been giddy about it for quite some time. So let's just take some time to remind you that we interviewed the star of the original Johnny Tsunami and this movie, Brandon Baker, right here on Magical Rewind. Just search for us in any streaming service and hear all the memories just shooting the first film, what it was like. He's so cool, We loved him, friend of the show. He's undoubtedly going to be knighted at some point by us. He is great and he can marry you. Yes, like me. He is an ordained minister if you.
Speaker 2: Are looking for minister, or an ordained minister in Colorado.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Or he'll travel because he's got to travel. Yeah, he's got boards so he can come. Now it's time to don your dirt devil's uniform and get to thrashing. Because here's the synopsis. Back in Hawaii, it's New Zealand. For his grandfather's wedding, Johnnykappihala meets his new twelve year old uncle Chris, a rebellious mountain border who starts an all out turf four and leads everyone into competition to save the family business. Ooh, a lot going on there, Sabrina. It's time to face the music. Early thoughts, Johnny Cappahalla back on board. What did you think of the movie?
Speaker 2: You know, I again, this one hundred percent for me was one of those movies I laid into the nostalgia of the first movie. I had not seen it, and I was just positively watching this and thinking great thoughts.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I was like it was one of those movies where if it wasn't horrific, I was gonna love it. If it wasn't just that awful, awful, terrible, so many holes. Like, if it wasn't super terrible, I was gonna love it. And that's where I stand.
Speaker 1: Okay, this this was how you will. This was not a good movie. Oh this was not Come on, this was come on this. First of all, Brandon Baker awesome, can do no wrong. He was phenomenal in the first movie. He was phenomenal in the second movie. Most of the cast was good. Yes, the little kid was not really Oh god. First of all, the character was annoying. It you just wanted the character.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: That was the thing about the first movie was they took so they were supposed to. In my head, the way they pitched this movie was, we want to give Brandon Baker's character his own version of himself when he was a kid, somebody who's moved out of everything. He knows, he's really struggling with it. He is kind of condemnmentor the guy, and then he finds this new niche thing. In this case, it's mountain boarding. They didn't do that at all, because the thing we loved about the first one was no matter what situation you put him in, he was super nice. He was he was sharing his magazine with the belize it. He was positive, he was having great time. This kid was such a little that I wanted him to fall down the gorge. I hated him. Not only that, but the actor was smiling and laughing through every scene he was in, which took me right out of the movie. Like he's trying to say his lines, but he's got a smile on his face, ers trying to make it look like it was just And I know we've seen him in other things that he was better. He was not good in this movie, and it took me right out of the film. So the acting wasn't good for the little kid and the character. I hate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the character was not a likable character in any sense. Even no, even towards the end, I wasn't really necessarily happy that I worked out, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: For it, it makes no sense. The race at the end is unmotivated. It makes no sense. We're racing to see which one of us can sell these boards in a store. I mean, none of this made sense to me, and it hurt my heart because I loved the first one. I love Brandon Baker, He's amazing. The grandfather everybody. I was so happy to see them all back, and then they kind of I don't blame them for it. They did this with the story and I was not a fan. But anyway, we'll get into that. The director was Eric Bross, a new name to the podcast at the time. Bross had recently come off a big TV movie, Martha Behind Bars, starring Sybil Shepherd as Martha Stewart in her big tax fraud court case. Fun fact, my uncle Bobby was her lawyer.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my dad's best friend. He also he's gone now, but Bob Morvillo great guy. He also directed the movie On the Line, starring Lance Bass and featuring a cameo from nineties wrestler China. Brosse is still working, most recently directing a Hallmark movie called Rome in Love, a twenty thirteen Lifetime film featuring Dolllly Parton called A Country Christmas Story, and a twenty twelve Blue Lagoon reboot called The Awakening. And like we mentioned, Brandon Baker the Man himself returns now eight years older and basically a grown adult. He stepped right back into the shoes of Johnny Coppa Halla, the main character, even though the original movie was called Johnny Ssunami, his grandfather's nickname, and that's not the only controversy with the name. You may remember, the spelling of Kappahala is very confusing. In the title it was one pee, but in the credits two peas. Get it together, Disney. This is one of Disney's biggest mysteries. Brandon, of course, got his big break at twelve years old when he played Mowgli in the straight to video Disney seequ To the Jungle Book Mowgli's Story. Baker was also seen in Even Stevens, The Proud Family, and Boston Public Like we said, don't be a chicken. Let Brandon marry you. He's an awesome dude and he's welcome here anytime. He was great in this movie and the New Disney Channel generation is represented by Jake T. Austen. He plays step uncle Chris and this was a rough one for me. It is best known as Max Russo on Wizards of Waverley Place, where he was great. He was a Channel favorite, bringing his character to the show's eventual d com and The Sweet Life on Deck. He is also the voice of Diego in the Door of the Explorer Universe and Fernando and Rio and Rio two. He's a very good actor. There's a lot of very good actors that sometimes don't work with the right people, the right director, the right whatever, and sometimes the performance isn't great, and this one needed some work. Kerry Hero Yuki Tagawa also returns as the big guy himself, Johnny Tsunami. Tigawa was a cult favorite character actor, mostly because he played Shang Sung in the nineteen ninety five Mortal Kombat movie Mortal Combat, great movie and most of the video game since, and he appeared in movies like Double seven, License to Kill, two thousand and one's Planet of the Apes, and most famously, the nineteen eighty seven critically beloved film The Last Emperor. In twenty fifteen, he had a nice return to TV as I hope I don't apologize if I butcher this name, Nobusuke Tagomi. I believe it is how you say it in the TV show The Man in the High Castle. But very sadly and such a big loss for Hollywood. He passed away last year at the age of seventy five, and that one seriously hurt my heart. Another former Magical rewind guest and friend of the podcast, Robin Lively plays Karla, the much younger future bride of Johnny Tsunami. She was not in the original movie and was a real get for Disney. Honestly, we spoke to her on this podcast for another Disney Channel original movie, The Legend. It's I'm saying it. I'm saying it with a smile. I always do buzz Bucket, that's right. Lively was an always busy young actor, appearing in Wildcats, Karate Kid Part Three, Chicago Hope, and the cult classic Teen Witch. So take that.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: She continues to act on shows like nine to one one, Lone Star, Cobra Kai, where she revisited her Karate Kid, The Good Doctor, The Bad Doctor, The Okay Doctor, and she's now shown up on one of TV's biggest hits, Landman. She's also married to the great Bart Johnson of High School Musical fame. He's a large man in Person two and he interviewed him and we released his podcast right here on this very feet. And Lively wasn't the only Karate Kid alum in this movie. We have ug Okamoto returning as the dad Pete Kapahala. Okamoto was in a bunch of classic eighty movies. Okay, I'm just gonna list these movies, and this might as well be called Will's greatest hits of all time because they're awesome movies like Real Genius, Karate Kid two, and my favorite of all time, Better Off Dead? Uh where he played? Please tell me you've seen Better Off Dead? Oh my god, Sabrina. Okay, well, it's phenomenal. He plays one of two drivers and he just talks like Howard Cosell drag racing with a young John Kusack every time they appear at the same stoplight. He would also return to his karate kid roots on Cobra Kai for almost twenty five episodes and appeared in the movies Inception in Pearl Harbor and Man, do I want to talk to him? Okay, all this karate kid talk is maybe one a roundhouse kick. Anyone who likes movies longer than ninety minutes. We all know that's the target we're looking for when it comes to lengthy our magical rewind people. So let's see what Johnny Kappahala back near the board, near your board, all about the board came in at it's ninety minutes, ring the barrel call the authorities. We have hit the target people. I'd like to thank the cast and crew, but really it's all cousin me ninety minutes. People, You're welcome. We actually speaking of the team. We have four writers on this movie, which is a real team effort. There's Annie Deyung. Her career started on Honey I Shrunk the Kids, the TV show, and she was behind a few dcom's, Returned to Halloween Town, the recently reviewed Princess Protection Program, Starstruck, and twenty fourteen's Girl Versus Monster, which I think was her last credit on IMV. And we have Max Ensko. Max was Annie's writing partner on a lot of projects, including Return to Halloween Town and another one called The Ron Clark Story starring Matthew Perry. His last credit was also in twenty fourteen. And then there's Anne Austin, who wrote the original movie. She was a Power Rangers VET of almost ten years. She's been engulfed in the animated Barbie universe as a head writer and producer. I am in the New Barbie Show, so I may have worked with Ann, and another Power Rangers writer teamed up with her on both this movie and the original. His name is Douglas Sloan. He also wrote the d com Motocross and in addition to also joining Ann on some newer Barbie projects, he writes on all the How to Train Your Dragon TV projects, which is one of my favorite series of all time, How to Train Your Dreaming. That's awesome. Okay, so now the shop is opening soon, it's time to destroy the dirt devils and get into Johnny Cappahala back on board. We open on a snowy hilltop as our hero Johnny Cappahala is prepping the snowboard and reminds the audience all about who he is. He realizes ninety percent of the viewers have forgotten the details of the movie they watched eight years ago or never saw in the first place. So let's just consider this a very needed re establishing shot. Kappahola moved from sunny Hawaii to snowy Vermont and traded the surfboard for a snowboard. Then it's revealed that he's on the edge of a cliff hundreds of feet above the ground. He's teetering off the edge, flirting with death. He eventually loses his balance and rockets to his death. Screaming the whole way down, but instead of crashing head first, we transition to a sunny beach. Kappahla is now surfing on a surfboard, still in a heavy jacket in winter gear. He wipes out and we hear someone calling his name. He wakes up in the back of the car sweating. He was, of course having a nightmare. His parents are driving and they're back in Hawaii for his grandpa, Johnny Tsunami's wedding. They're excited to be back, but it's a little weird because he hasn't met the fiance, Carla, And the even bigger issue is she has a mysterious son named Chris. So now Johnny's dad has a brother, I guess, and John and he has a new uncle. That's all we know at this point. He has an uncle. Johnny's parents plan on staying in the city for a few days, so they've set up a ride for Johnny to get to his grandpa's early and it's his buddy Sam from the first movie, somebody you definitely don't remember at all because we don't remember him, and we got paid to watch this movie recently, So did you remember Sam?
Speaker 2: Sam? Was this was a recast?
Speaker 1: Was originally the military guy? Yes, yes, but this wasn't the same actor. No, Well, then I do remember the character. I thought he was a different the character.
Speaker 2: It just the recast looks nothing like the original.
Speaker 1: The Thompson Young was awesome in that movie. Maybe he just didn't want to do it.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming. I'm assuming that's what it was.
Speaker 1: The other thing he literally, other than the Batmobile, that might be the coolest car I've ever seen in my life. I okay, such a great car. It's a jeep. I think I.
Speaker 2: Didn't even like cut to ask Jordan because Jordan loves cars too. To ask, I was like, I'm gonna wait because I know Will's gonna love this car. Was it because it's similar to looking to like a Bronco that they have nowadays, like when people take off the whole top of the Broncos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's was a stretched out Jeep. But I don't I don't normally like red cars, but that red and orange combo the doors and everything off.
Speaker 2: Oh is this sit car? It was very close and that's one of my favorite things when I'm at like in Hawaii and you're driving into it from the airport, and you're seeing so many people on these jeeps with the tops off and like hanging out, like, oh, it's so cool.
Speaker 1: It was it was great. So anyway, Johnny is very excited to see the new guy playing his old friend who was living in Iceland for the last four years, but just move back. They drive off to a Tsunamis for the big weekend, but run into some bad ass on the way that kind of looked like skateboarders, but that they were also stuck in the matrix. The boards are longer and they look like they're all wearing white T. K. Oakley sunes. Johnny is intrigued by this new alien sport. Eventually, Sam gets to a Tsunamis, which is now a beautiful modern paradise. It's gorgeous. In the first movie, you sort of lived a bit like a pig, but apparently in the last eight years he got really into HGTV programming and did some new construction. I guess because it's the home is nice Noah's home, and Johnny is shocked to see his old room is still a messy boys bedroom, but with none of his things, so we still don't know what's going on. A little weird. Meanwhile, we see a young little white kid surfing, wiping out over and over and over again. He quickly gets up and walks back to the beach. He thinks surfing is stupid and complains to what appears to be his teacher, an older man and a hat who is Johnny Tsunami. Welcome back, buddy, it's good to see you again. The little brat hoffs his way off to the sand. He's such a little as Coppahla and his grandpa, now with a new short hair vibe, lovingly reunite and it was nice to see them back together again. Back at the house, Tsunami meets Carla, is about to be grandma, who is younger than his mom, and the issue of age in this movie is a little confusing. Am I right? Yes, there's a lot of are they called May December romances? There's quite a quite a lot of weird age stuff in this movie. Well, either way, Carla is very pretty and much younger. She's Robin Lively who seems very much in love with Johnny Tsunami and made Holy hooly chicken for dinner. Have you ever had houy hooly chicken? Do you do we know what Joly Hooly Chicken is?
Speaker 2: I want to have no idea what it is.
Speaker 1: I want it.
Speaker 2: I'm down to try it. I'm down to try it.
Speaker 1: I am too. I saw the funniest reel this morning where a guy just looks into the camera and said, nobody told me that adult life is basically just trying to figure out what to do with ground beef and chicken every night for the rest of your life, which is absolutely what it is. So July Hooly Chicken, love it. Let's figure. Carla says that she rented a house down the street, but it's small, so her son, this Chris. Everyone is so concerned about lives at Johnny Tsunami's. She hopes that's okay. Kappa Holla says he's actually excited to meet Chris. He's never had an uncle before and usually relates well to adults, but that pouting little comes back from the surf lesson and stomping down the stairs. This is Chris. He is a twelve year old uncle. Because this movie is a mess when it comes to age appropriate relationships, Tsunami takes Kapa Halla to meet Uncle Chris, who's playing video games in his room and Chris barely pays attention. Keep this in mind, because eventually he grows as a character. No, it doesn't grow at all. He's always in it. Later on, the two Johnny's regroup outside to talk about dealing with Chris Kappahala. Everybody's optimistic though, that the two boys will to get along eventually either way. Tsunami is so happy his grandson has come back for his big day. But later, when Coppa Hala wants to catch some waves, Tsunami doesn't have time. And that's weird in itself because he never says no to surfing. But he is a big day of important business to take care of and takes Kappa Hala along for the ride. Which we got to say Kapahala and Tsunami because otherwise they're just Johnny's. Yes, that's hard. They pull I guess I could say John, but it's not the same. They pull up to an old he can't.
Speaker 2: It's not Yeah, you can't John, the same John.
Speaker 1: He's pull it. I'm John Tsunami. They pull up to an old surf shop that Carla's father left her when he passed away. It's the reason she actually moved to Hawaii. Sunami is gonna help her get it up and running, and she needs the help because the inside is it. Okay, this is where I start to go, like, wait, what so the inside was a disaster area. Keep that in mind. It was just it was looked like it had good bones to be a store, but it obviously wasn't set up in any way, shape or form. They had a lot of work to do. I was like, okay, cool, we're gonna see the transition. Carl's inside hard at work, but Uncle Chris is across the street hanging out with some friends at a dirt boarding shop. So Nami suggests that maybe Kapa Hola should go babysit his uncle across the street, who's currently watching a bunch of badskate on Little Rams and act tough. Johnny introduces himself, and Johnny introduces himself and meets the Dirt Devils. It's a whole team. There's an owner and olderbro Troy, and then there's the leader Jared, and you got Bow, Spidey and Rooster. Now, Sabrina, you get to pick for the rest of your life. I am calling you either Spidey or Rooster. Which one do you want.
Speaker 2: I think i'd have to go as Spidy. Rooster is just like.
Speaker 1: I kind of dig Rooster. I'll be Rooster, you'd be Spidey. I think that's what we opened our breakfast shop. It'll be spider if my nickname.
Speaker 2: If someone just randomly nicknamed me Spidey, I would spider man them all the time, just like shoot my web.
Speaker 1: I don't want to know what I do if somebody called me Rooster all of a sudden. You know where that came from exactly. And then there's also a very pretty girl named Val that quickly captures Johnny's attention. And we have now done so many episodes of Magical rewind that halfway through the movie. Last night, I texted Sabrina and went, was Rose on our show? I can't remember? And then I was conflating it because she and I hung out in Hawaii at a con with my wife, and that's how I knew her so well. So I don't think we've had her on the show. I think that's how I know.
Speaker 2: But the funny part is you have asked me who I have never met her? And I said I don't think so. But then after you said that, I'm going wait.
Speaker 1: Maybe exactly, I can't remember.
Speaker 2: I don't think we have she looks familiar. I think I mean I scrolled and scrolled and scrolled on our magical Rewiffe.
Speaker 1: No, we have it, and I do not think we have it is beneficial we have it. It's just actually know her in real life. That's the weird thing about being an actor. It's like, have we talked or do I know you in real life? Have we worked together? I don't know. So I knew Rose. She's very sweet. She's also a fellow Dirt Border. The Dirt Borders act like mainland thugs, hardly welcoming the surfer back, which is weird, and the godfather of the mountain boarding team, Troy, exclaiming they bring the dirt. I supply the devil.
Speaker 2: That was such a weird line. I had to write that one down, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Troy, Easy, They're tough guy. Eventually, Johnny is invited into their shop and shown around. It is much cooler and darker than the war zone. Carla inherited. Troy is planning on taking the squad out for a tour one day and letting them see the world. Johnny says he's skateboard by the way, this is a whole group of kids that don't if I'm getting this right, it's a whole group of kids that don't want to live in Hawaii.
Speaker 2: Right, or or despise at least we could say despise surfing. Think surfing super dumb. Let me just say this isn't to be I have. That was we I was lucky enough to have Like that was our kind of our summer vacation that we went to quite often and would get a chance to, you know, on the beach where I had never met a local that had didn't love like maybe they weren't a great surfer, but they all loved the culture of it's part of the Hawaiian culture.
Speaker 1: Well, they're connected to the ocean in a way.
Speaker 2: Understand they might not be surfers, but they loved the water, you know what I mean. But they also loved hiking. But just because they liked hiking and doing things on land had no reflection of like.
Speaker 1: Hating connection to their land that we will never understand. And it's one of those things where it was weird to have a group of white kids in this movie that are like we we essentially don't want to be here run by a guy who's trying to get out too. It was just, I don't know, it was strange.
Speaker 2: It was a little a little off.
Speaker 1: Putting, a little a little off putting, but anyway, and that's why I was like, oh, really, there's gonna be basically no surfing in the Johnny Coppahala Surfing movie. And I was like, Okay, I guess I'm just gonna have to deal with that. It'd be like point break without there being a point break. Come on, didn't care anyway. Johnny says he's skateboards, but while in Hawaii he's all about surfing. Troy thinks riding waves is boring, and the Dirt Devil's explain when you stack, you don't float, you bleed, which I think in young translates to when you fall down you can get hurt. Cutie Val invites him to ride with the team for the day, and, to Uncle Chris's dismay, Johnny accepts. We cut to a montage of the Dirt Devil's doing their thing, and it looked pretty awesome. I get what you're saying, like, it doesn't seem like there's much to do with it, but it was cool looking, right, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: However, like you to keep in mind when it comes to snowboarding, like what I snowboard. I just cruise down the mountain. I am that hitting those right, and that I just love cruising down the mountain. This is not something you could do if you were to enjoy a cruise.
Speaker 1: There's no cruise. It also looks like it's just bashing your knees like.
Speaker 2: Aman, it looks so dangerous and so hard. It looks like a very very hard sport to actually be good at.
Speaker 1: And it also, I mean, as far as we know, unless and again we talk about microworlds on this podcast all the time, unless there's something we don't know about, it never took off, Like I don't know a whole bunch of mountain borders that hang out like I'm guessing it's a thing, but I'm guessing it's a very small niche group of people that.
Speaker 2: A mountain like mountain louging, Like, well, I do that. How do you get into that?
Speaker 1: We'll talk about it later. Because I'm a world I'm number seven in the world at mountain losing right now, so okay, I'm a pretty well it must be because everyone I know calls me a loser. See what I just did? Yeh, see what I just did. That's all I hear. You're such a lusure. You're such a You're like, I know, I such a I'm an extreme lousure, Thank you very much. That is yeah, that's me. So yes. There, uh looks like they're going like one hundred miles an hour on this huge grassy mountain. They're pulling off some jumps. Again, they can just kind of flip around. But this is where I had a bit of a problem with the directing. I did not like the directing of the action stuff, the quick cuts, and that's just a personal thing. I do not like quick cuts off. You can see a wheel here, but you can't really see anybody doing things. And he's putting Sepia tones over the thing like he's got a nineteen eighties cam quorder, and it was like, yeah, I wasn't digging it. If it was.
Speaker 2: I think to make that cam quorder makes sense. It needed to be like, you know, every not every, but a lot of times it was like kind of extreme groups has like a videographer. That's there I'm doing. So it needed it needed a character to do something like that to make that a little bit more. But also I felt like I gave it grace with the cuts because to me, again, this seems like one of the most extreme and dangerous Microworld sports that we've seen.
Speaker 1: But it sounds like they are the eight guys who can do it on the cast. Yeah they brought in No I'm saying like they brought in all the eight dudes.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, but they were doing like they I have one thing in my spreen of seas that like is so obvious to me, but they It wasn't like they could get Brandon to be able to do much of this, more so than the most more so than the snowboarding, and we know that he told us that they were being dragged up the mountain. You can't do it with this one, so I feel like they had to cut around it more so than our rollerblading stuff we've seen other skateboarding, Like, there was no way to show and make it make sense or real really believable that these actors were.
Speaker 1: Doing any of this because you'd be killed, Like, how do you not knock out a tooth every time you try to do this thing? So yes, it's it's was crazy, Yeah, it's it's impressive, but again I don't think it took off, and we could be wrong. We could get in date with people like dude, mountain boarding is the greatest in the world, which I don't know any right, I'm wondering. It's like if they anybody has a mountain board anymore. Kappa Halla then warns Uncle Chris they aren't allowed to skate on this hill, and questions if these guys are even his friends, especially because they haven't made him an official dirt devil yet, which again I just kept thinking of the vacuum cleaner. They bicker, then they both ride the hill of full speed, leading to a total wipe off Fromkapahalla right in front of all the bad Val helps him up with the guys rub the crash in his face. And these were pretty weak bad guys if I'm honest. Yeah, Jared informs Chris to join the Devils, he'll need to impress him and then Troy, and to do that, they've got to face the toilet bowl. Val thinks that's way too much, but the guys love the idea, and so now little Uncle Chris stares down the massive downhill of the dirt that we can assume is the toilet bowl. I'm happy he didn't mean an actual toilet bowl. Chris looks terrified. He's not sure he can make it, and while the Devil's call him Chicken, Coppahla promises Chris there's no shame in backing out, and just as he's about to take off, we hear a siren. Everyone scatters off, but when we cut to the Tsunami's house, the policeman did catch Coppa Hala and Chris for trespassing. It's Chris's second warning. Next time he'll face the Juvi judge. And this is when I was like, Okay, they've They've set up dead Man's Curve or whatever they call it in every other movie, the toilet Bowl. It's gonna be great when they race here again.
Speaker 2: Never comes back again, I know, never.
Speaker 1: See it again. There's no race on it, no one ever goes down it. You literally never see this again. How do you set up the most dangerous place to do this thing? And everyone's peered at the edge and right about their go and then they scatter They can't actually do it. How do you not come back to this place at some time in the movie to race this thing agreed, It's like, what what's the point of putting this there and never seeing anybody actually down the thing?
Speaker 2: And to be honest too, it was set up as though that was gonna happen in the end. It's set up and then we end up where I don't know, I don't know if you do.
Speaker 1: Where we are? No, nope, Oh we'll get there because that's always fun. Yeah, so crazy. Now waiting to hear their fate and angry, Chris swears to Coppahala that he would have made it down the toilet bowl. I can't even say that out loud, and takes the time to remind his supposed nephew that they aren't actually family. Then Tsunami and Carlo return with some bad news. They've decided to take away Chris's mountain board for the rest of the week. He's furious, especially because Johnny got away with justin apology and Johnny tried to take the rap for him. Yes, and he was stolen and no, I mean, like, how did you sit there?
Speaker 2: You know your mom is coming back with something. How do you not how are you not expecting you're not going to be able to ride your board for a while.
Speaker 1: Yep, and also how do you be? He literally says he said he was his fault, Like yeah, dude, yeah, I just I didn't like and I got where they were and I was like, Okay, they're setting the character up to be bad like this. Obviously he's supposed to be trouble and angry and I'm totally at this point, I was like, Okay, I'm fine with it. He's annoying, but that's the point, and he's going to have this great epiphany and he's going to grow, and none of that ever really happened. They have him change, but kind of like off camera, he has one good day and then all of a sudden, he's a good guy. He was like, white, what And that's what I love. We specifically talked about in the first one how great Johnny Cappajola was when he was just nice and he had a smile on his face and he was supportive of his dad, like yes, I'll move with you across the country and I'm not going to make it difficult on you, and I'm going to try my best in school. He was so likable and this kid is so the opposite of that that it was like, Okay, get what you're doing. But it was a bit much, Honestly. The other bigger problems than that little If Tsunami and Karla don't get the shop up and running soon, she might lose everything. And they need Johnny's help with keeping Chris out of try through the grand opening, which is on Saturday. So Coappa Hala and Sam babysit Chris and take him into Carla's shop, which is coming along nicely. Now this is when time passing in this movie is weird, because the next time we went into the shop, it was like ninety percent done. Yeah, it was That's what I meant by I was like.
Speaker 2: Wait, all they had to all they had to do was get the product out onto the floor.
Speaker 1: That was it. That was it. Yeah. He spent one day with that kid, and then the one day the shop is literally almost ready to open. From how it looked the first time we saw it to now took a day. And that's why I was like, what wait, what is going on? So time was really strange in this movie as well, and we'll get into more of that too. Tsunami went to go get a haircut, proving maybe his business acumen might not be ideal. You have days left and you're getting a haircut during the day. What do you maybe stay there and finish your store? But it looked like the store was done in an hour, so that works too. Coppa Hala walks over to the barber shop and he is shocked to bump into Tsunami on his way out. Wearing a very fancy suit. He looks like a million bucks and he's on his way to meet Carla at the bank. Maybe he has got together after all and is finally growing up at seventy years old. Coppa Hala returns to the shop and starts unloading products with Sam while Chris left to go hang out with the dirt devils across the street. Sam and Coppahla are immediately interrupted by his parents. They're back from their little work trip and decide to help with the store duties. Johnny's dad sends the boys off to surf, but on their way out, they see Chris getting pushed into a van, which never a good sign seeing a van. Never get into a van. Oh I don't care how cute they say the puppy is. Coappahala is concerned and tries to stop the van, but ends up just watching it drive away, He and Sam follow the Dirt Devil straight to a barge. Kappa Hala plays nark and rats on Chris. He isn't supposed to be mountain boarding. He's grounded, but Troy finds a loophole. They're skateboarding, not dirt boarding. He defends the Dirt Devils as a group of kids who have used the sport to stay out of trouble, and reveals that Chris is very close to joining the team. But it's obvious that we shouldn't be a fan of Troy. He seems like a big old demon and they're obviously setting him up to be said d bag. Meanwhile, Coppa Hala and Sam believe Chris is acting like this the week of the wedding and the store opening. I mean, who who do we blame for the scheduling? Just push the wedding back if the store is that important to you, or it seems like it's destined to fail. But they're doing it on the same day. It's like we're getting married tonight and then tomorrow the store open.
Speaker 2: Wow, it was they say it. Later on, they say, what were we thinking? It's the stores opening in the morning and the wedding is that night?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Iikes, just yikes. Change the schedule. You didn't have a venue. You were like getting married at the house. Weren't you on the beach.
Speaker 2: It's like you could go any time.
Speaker 1: Fifth week, give yourself an extra six days. It's not that big a deal. Sam, though, defends Chris's actions. It's hard to move to Hawaii if anyone can understand that it's Johnny coppahaala. And I was like, okay, I like what they're doing. I like giving him himself a younger version of himself. But they didn't. They gave him this kind of jerky little kid who doesn't ever seem to grow or learn. Yeah. So anyway, they ask if they can join the Devils skate session, something Uncle Chris isn't thrilled about, especially because his nephew has never skated on Rampsy's extreme before. But to everyone's surprise, Sam and Johnny are really good and earn the respect of the gang. Chris isn't impressed, though seeing Johnny blend in with the Devil so easily has made him jealous. He ditches his equipment and leaves with his tail between his legs. But Sam and Johnny don't even see him leave, so once they finished skating, they have to frantically drive around trying to find him. They eventually bump into him on the side of the road and bring him back home, where it becomes a family affair. Johnny, Tsunami, Carla, and the Kappa Halas are setting up for dinner when young Chris storms in. Kapahala rushes to his uncle's room to apologize, but Chris isn't hearing it. Skating was his chance to prove himself and now it's ruined. This relationship is becoming more and more strained. A bit later, out on the beach, the johnnies that Tsunami and Kapahala are walking and chatting about Chris and every step they took on this beach, I was like, God, I really want to go to New Zealand. Is it just everything looks so stunningly beautiful.
Speaker 2: You need to be cast in the next Zombies.
Speaker 1: Please make us zombies, Make us zombies. Yeah, so it just it just looks amazing. But Kappa Hala is out of ideas on how to turn the kid around. Sosunami tells his grandson to take the day off and let him take care of Chris tomorrow. So with time in his hands, Kapa Hala gets ready to surf, adjusting a board on the car's roof. When Val appears, she's tried surfing once in California and chipped her tooth. We get some very awkward flirting where she does everything but say, dude, ask me out. It's like even I could tell she was flirting, bro, and I'm terrible with that stuff. Then kappa Hala says he can help her relearn to surf, and just like that, they have their first official date. Unfortunately, Uncle Chris sees this exchange, and now he's even more bummed because Johnny is not only stealing his team, but he's stealing the girl he likes. He obviously has a big old crush on Val, and so we get kappa Hala teaching his love interests how to surf in a cute date montage, and she's actually pretty good. They watch the sunset, and then she writes her phone number on his hand with the black sharpie that she carries around with her for that same.
Speaker 2: Reason, and the weirdest way to do it. Yeah, it was like it was on the top of his.
Speaker 1: Hand, like he'd have to like flip his hand around to reader number, and it's also could we maybe write it in ballpoint? That's that's that's a sharp part that's not coming off.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have your name to stay there forever.
Speaker 1: It's still there. It's literally he's lying in bed. Johnny interviewing Brandon.
Speaker 2: I saw it still on his hand.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, yeah, he's lying in bed with his wife and kids right now looking down at an ex girlfriend's number still written on his hand in permanent pen.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yes, but it's okay. So back at the house, Chris is now skateboarding, so Cappa Holo trizes his hardest to connect with him again, but it's clear Chris does not feel comfortable in Hawaii. He wants to move back to Philadelphia. Kappa Halla explains that even if Chris doesn't like him, he needs him yeah, because he can drive him around. But Chris still wants nothing to do with him or his quote unquote girlfriend val Ooh. He's upset because he liked val but Kappa Hala isn't ready to give up, and while getting shaved ice with Sam, he gets a brain freeze and then has an idea. He sneaks into follow me with the idea. He sneaks into Chris's room with Sam videotaping and places headphones on Chris's ears. While he's sleeping, he blares heavy metal music, startling his little uncle awake. They kidnapped Chris and then carry him every time. I know, it's so strange, is it, this little uncle? Yeah, and they carry him outside to threaten him with blackmail, so the video. They'll send the video of him being woken up by music to the Dirt Devils, and apparently that's gonna embarrass.
Speaker 2: Him, Yeah, because I think it was like he was like kind of screaming, like you know, like.
Speaker 1: Footy pajamas or something like get a picture of him in a Batman cape, I mean something like that. The idea that somebody woke him up and he woke up startled like everybody would. That's embarrassing to me, is like, there could have done way better things with that. That's not that's not blackmail material. I'd be like, dude, show him you being waking me up.
Speaker 2: It's Disney could.
Speaker 1: Easily have a picture of him sleeping with a Teddy Bear or something like that.
Speaker 2: Guard.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's exactly something like that to where it's actually embarrassing instead of a reaction that anybody would have, which is I just woke up to music blaring in my in my ears, I mean crazy.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be one of those like crazy, like screamy things. It would have been funny to like scare him and him have like this like high pitch like yes, yes.
Speaker 1: As producer Lisa just said, they need to take some tips from Lizzie McGuire's little brother. That's absolutely true. But still, for some reason, Chris and I get that he's trying to be embarrassing. I know him nippicking. Chris doesn't want this footage getting into the Dirt Border's hands, so they make a deal. If he hangs out with Kappahala and Sam today doing whatever they want, they'll destroy the tape. So Chris agrees, and just like that, a crime has been committed. First stop is VAL's house. Her dad is rich and lives in the most banging house in the history of homes. It is freaking amazing. I hope this is a real place in New Zealand because I want to live there. It's like some sort of wrapper on MTV cribs. She also has a handful of four reel ATVs. Her dad buys or whatever she wants because he's always working and her mom lives in a different state. Kappahala also reveals that he talked to his grandpa and the dirt boarding band has been lifted for Chris. And so now we see three ATVs joy riding out in the dirt with Kappahala and Thal sharing one like lovebirds at the X Games. Eventually they all end up in a beautiful field and it's time to dirt board. Chris goes first and pulls off a sick grind trick. His anger about everything quickly turns into happiness and he ends up having a fun day teaching the guys how to ride, and he's good. They show that at twelve he's really good. Over at Carlos's surf shop, she's complaining to Johnny Cappahala's mom about how difficult Chris has been. They think he'll fall into place after the wedding. It also looks like Johnny Tsunami out of no is playing with the idea of selling mountain boards in the shop, and this is the first kind of we're hearing about this. We're now over a dirt Devil's headquarters and things aren't going as planned. Troy's on the phone with a potential buyer or the store, but they're thinking of pulling out because of the new competition across the street. Wait what this makes Troy worry that Carla's Surf shop is diversifying their inventory into dirt boards. So Troy sends Jared out to double check back at VAL's house. The four wheeler gangs having a blast. Even Chris looks like he's finally having fun. VAL's dad arrives at home from a business trip and meets the guys. He is clearly hiding an accent. You know, a couple people their accents pop out. It's like, oh, that's right, we're in New Zealand. But they did great. Once they leave, Kapahala realizes VAL's dad was the banker his grandpa was talking to. He just doesn't get what they were talking about. Meanwhile, Jared arrives at carla shop and pockets one of their wholesale receipts. He has proof they are going to be selling dirt boards. Carla spots him and sees him out. Once he delivers the news to Troy, he decides it's time to pay them a visit. Okay, does Troy have a point here? I mean, is it kind of a move to literally open a shop across the street and it's a surf shop, but then decide to sell the exact same specific product that your guy across the street literally is selling. I mean, is that yeah kind of not cool?
Speaker 2: It's absolutely not cool.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Troy bad guy.
Speaker 2: An ice cream shop across from a snow cone shop, and then the snow cone shop starts to also selling.
Speaker 1: Ice cream, right, you know what I mean, It's like, that's not I was like, well, dude, that's really not cool to do. And we're supposed to like you, you're the good guys.
Speaker 2: Yes where I cause again you're not going to do wrong? Okay, all right, so you see to simmer down over there where.
Speaker 1: Where I just I get you, Spidey. I actually kind of.
Speaker 2: Like this dude, they would have nickname of mine. Where I justified it as it felt like we didn't get a ton of backstory of what the shop was. Remember it was a hand me down type idea. Where I justified it in my head was this was always an old school kind of surf shop type thing, and he is, and that the dirt board place was more of a newer thing, and he was trying to rebuild it. And of course he's trying to, you know, make it make sense and appeal to everyone, and you know, the new guy. Sorry, but this is an old one and this is this is the name, you know.
Speaker 1: But the store was never opened like the store that they're rebuilding. Her dad's shop was obviously never sold mountain boards. I mean, if he if they had.
Speaker 2: Thrown in a line like mountain boards.
Speaker 1: But that's what I'm saying. If they throw in a line like, you know, my dad who left me the shop was the first person to sell mountain boards if you opened the shop across the street, we're just going back.
Speaker 2: If they somehow justin they could have done it because of the the big wigs that we find out later. Could have been like, oh yeah, he was my first sponsor.
Speaker 1: Exactly something like that. But it didn't And and so I.
Speaker 2: Know it could have been one quick because we meet him and we'll therefore, how did they know him?
Speaker 1: Like oh, wow, I'm glad you're with me, Spidey, Wow, I'm Rooster has a.
Speaker 2: Point However, the movies, you know, still it's still a.
Speaker 1: Ten ten out of ten for Sobrina, I'm giving it ten roosters. I don't even know what we're calling it. Ten spidis nice exactly. So yeah, I just thought they had a point. It was kind of a kind of move, but anyway, yeah, it's true. So yeah, So Troy and Jared make their way to Carlo's and get a little feisty about going toe to toe. Tsunami claims competition is good for the community, but the tension is very high. He's shank song. Yeah, he can kill you and take your soul. This victory anyway, Oh god, such a could move anyway. Uh yeah, Troy even And now is that Chris is no longer allowed at Dirt Devils, which of course infuriates the hopeful member. The next day, Chris won't even talk to his future stepdad, So Nami Tellskappahla all about his own origins of surfing at sixteen and the biggest waves he ever caught. He ate at big Time. He took on too much. He promised himself he would never do that again. And so the next morning when everyone wakes up, Snami is nowhere to be found, which is a nightmare because the store opens later today and Uncle Chris, little tiny Uncle Chris, is gone too. Coppa Hala and Sam drive off to find little Tiny Uncle Chris again, but instead running to Jared and Val, arguing she's been hanging out with Kapa Hala. She can't drive with the team to the pro dirt boarding demo, an event where they were planning to meet sponsors. Coppa Hala tries to step in, but that isn't helpful. Of course, the dirt Devil's drive off and now Sam is forced to drive her in his awesome car. Yeah, it's just so awesome.
Speaker 2: It was like, oh, this giant plot twist and oh what a oh you could drive me cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can take me great, exactly, exactly. Thank you. I love that you're finding I know what it's.
Speaker 2: Go see what we're doing with this X Games.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Thank you. At the big demo, it looks like X Games was a cheap local carnival. Nonetheless, the trio are impressed with all the riders and start looking for Chris, which for Sam turns into flirting with multiple girls. Kappa Halla finally does spot his little uncle cousin who is now arguing with Jared about being banned from the Dirt Devils. The young boy challenges Jared to a race, but is interrupted by Troy, who has found a possible sponsor, pro Boards. The company wants to meet the Dirt Devils and Chris could join them. He just needs to convince Tsunami not to sell skate or dirt boards. Jared also tells him to be at the gap in the South Trail and I'm going to butcher this name. I apologize poop poo Kaya poop ki right tomorrow to get big air and prove himself there. And at the same time, back at the house, Karla and Tsunami are happy they found Chris, but his attitude is really bothering her. It was bothering me by this point, Tsunami promises he just needs to feel part of something. Okay. Once Chris is home, he sprints right to his playing video games, which is real, let's be honest. But Kappa Hoola tries to give it words of encouragement. Their family members are getting married, they should make the best of it. Running away will only make people miserable, and Coppo holog just wants his grandpa happy. And I like that people started to kind of give this kid, like, knock off your attitude. It's not about you all the time, right, And that's sometimes not very Disney, where they'll like sit a little kid down and essentially be like check yourself. Yeah, and they did that twice in this movie, which because she then comes and does it too, and I like that.
Speaker 2: However, it never quite helps.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't work. He's still a little, he's still an uncle little.
Speaker 2: But at least they tried. Yeah, they tried several times, like Robin put the smack down girl.
Speaker 1: Nope, nope. Never. You think that's gonna happen in Bart Johnson's house. I think not. Uh yes, So running away was only going to make people miserable. And Kappa Hoola just wants his grandpa happy, like I said, but Chris doesn't care and gives him one last later bra oh, and I just wanted to slap him. And now the big weekend has arrived. Everyone is prepping for the rehears except Chris, who's pouting by himself. This is where we learn that tomorrow is not only the wedding night, they're opening the surf shop in the morning. Like you said, worst scheduling I've ever heard of. How do they think they could take us off? It makes no sense, but still ten out of ten for Sabrina. Tsunami and Kappa Halla's dad go to pick something up and leave Kappa Hala and Chris to chat it out. Chris is still adamant he's joining the Dirt Devils today, but Coppa Hala is ready to stop him. He's not going to ruin the wedding weekend with some dangerous jump, and so we get a standoff. Kapa Hala is set off to town to get ice, and Chris volunteers to go with him, and I'm like, oh, I know he's gonna pull something. I sign a possible progress but no. Once they do arrive at the general store, Chris prelines to the bathroom and sneaks out a back window. He hit his dirt board in the truck and makes a clean getaway, and by the time Kapa Hala figures it out, little Uncle Chris is long gone and he left behind a flat tire. Oh wow, I know now you're touching my whip? Are you kids right? Are you kidding me? I have given you enough leeway.
Speaker 2: But also Johnny come on, like you would clearly have never been put in charge of another child before.
Speaker 1: Because but he also wasn't a bad kid. That's the thing. Johnny Tsunami was not a bad kid.
Speaker 2: That's true. That's true.
Speaker 1: Said, That's what we loved about the character was no matter what was thrown at him, Like the bully came up to him in school, He's like, hey, man, yeah, here's a surfer magazine. Check it out. You're gonna love it. It was like he was the nicest kid. So it would have been so cool if they did the same thing here and then the twist to having him leave and still wanting to jump, all that could have still worked. And you didn't need to make the kid this bad, yeah, because he was just horribly unlikable. I mean he really was. Even by this point in the movie. They should have had a couple heartfelt moments of the kid of not just I want to go back to Philadelphia, but why what he missed?
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 1: I'm so sad, like not anger, because when you play anger all the time, it's grating. When you get into more sorrow, you start to feel for the character as opposed to hating the character, which by this point, I was like, I I don't like this kid. I do not like this kid. So yeah, it was It was tough anyway, and it's such a juxtaposition to Johnny, who you still love. Yes, so yeah, it's very strange. Anyway, I'm going to keep harping on this until I get emails after emails after emails, because I don't read them anyway. I send them all to Spidey and she reads it for me. Keep in mind, this is him, not me. This is Spidey, not Rooster. It's time for Chris to meet the Dirt Devils to try out at the South Trail Gap. The jump is crazy. It's at least fifteen feet deep. If he misses, it's like a cavern if he misses, seriously injured. Kappa Hala has recruited Val and they make it to the gap just as Chris is taking off. He's skating at full speed when he hits the jump, and in slow mo he just clears the gap, then crashes on the other side. Chris has survived, but he really hurts himself, obviously, and Val runs off to get help. That night, Kapahala's dad is disappointed in his son, how could he let this happen and as if it was Johnny's fault at all. He says, Chris is a little evil genius, but the jump was actually really impressive. Sunami returns with Chris, who only has a simple fracture. Carla apologizes for her son, but Coppa Hala says he's even sorrier. He should have been watching over Chris, and this whole thing ruined their rehearsal dinner. But on the bright side, Chris apparently told his mom all about how great of an influence Coppa Hala has tried to be, and the two boys are left alone to brow it out. Okay, so it's starting to get a little better. Then a cop arrives with some bad news. The shop has been broken into. Everything has been thrashed. The police will do an investigation and look for fingerprints, but right away, seconds later, Jared's arrested. It is the quickest investigation in the history of the world. Congratulations. He was apparently stashing skate equipment nearby and that was suspicious, so they caught him to answer for the crime. Though Troy has also arrived on the scene, he says he knows nothing about it and a shocked Jared is taken into custody. Troy apologizes about his recent behavior, but the group can read right through his bs it's obvious he was somehow involved. Troy also congratulates Chris on his big jump and invites him back to the store. Maybe it's finally time to talk about joining the Dirt Devils, especially since most of the kids that were on the team are probably gonna be in prison. But Kappa Holla jumps in that's not gonna happen. The gang war is just getting started. Chris is furious. He always wanted to join the Dirt Devils. He says he hates his family and runs into the house. Kappa Ali's dad promises Tsunami that things will work out in the morning, right in time for the wedding and the opening of the store, which has now been pushed because it's thrashed. But now they got the wedding, and later that night, in all the chaos, Chris sees his mom break down. She's talking to Tsunami, convinced she should have never entered his life and started all this business. It was a mistake. Everything's collapsing, and she calls off the wedding. As if the wedding was the problem. She's going back to Philly and taking Chris with her. She's sorry, And again, character wise, it would have been more interesting had she said he's not doing well here, you're going to be a stepdad. You need to leave this place and come back to Philly with us.
Speaker 2: I thought that's what was gonna I was like, oh.
Speaker 1: No, yes, Nam, he's gonna live and Johnny Sunami three back in Philly was going to be written as we were going, it's just him in now, he's like joining utting competitions.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, well basketball, What what would we be doing in Philadelphia?
Speaker 1: Again? I think it would be uh, chief steak eating competitions, or maybe hockey. It could be hockey. Philly is a good hockey town. He got the Flyers, it could be it's still kind of a winter sport. So maybe he's a hockey guy. But we'll get there, we'll figure out, yes, And then it would be it be Johnny coppahala against the boards. Oh you like you can keep board there? God, I'm good. Christopher win Uh yeah so great. So anyway, and.
Speaker 2: You would obviously have to be because you're just so good at ice skating dude.
Speaker 1: Right, you've seen h double hockey sticks and the boy meets row Away skate with Nancy Kerrigan. Other than being such a big masure, she does she Nancy has always been my biggest skating advocate. She literally looked at me and just went, Wow, those skates are way too good for you. Anyway. She is, She's very nice. She is she is she Nancy is a sweetheart. I want to make that clear. She is always she's always very nice to me. She really will. But she's like, yeah, those skates are way too good for you. It's true. When you get Nancy Kerrigan making fun of your skating, you've kind of reached the pinnacle of a career. It's true. That's one of my favorite days. Yes, but she's going back, She's she's ending the marriage and going back to Philly and taking Chris with her. She's sorry, and seeing his mom cry and make such a drastic decision has finally affected that little d bag, Chris. He drags himself back to his room as sad music plays. The next morning, Kapahla makes his way to the beach to surf and finds his grandpa just looking out over the waves. Tsunami is devastated. He can't imagine his life without Carla and Chris. Kappa Halla convinces him to talk to Chris, tell him what he means to him, which I didn't think really was the problem. It has nothing to do with their relationship with Chris, and Tsunami had nothing to do with this film at all, but either way, Kappa Hala has had an idea on who to recruit to help, and Tsunami is thankful for any advice he can get. The plan is revealed when val arrives at Chris's door. We know he has a little crush on her and doesn't want to see him turn into Jared. She defends Kappa Hala. All he's ever wanted to do is make his new family work and to keep him safe. He was just following Tsunami's instructions and with that Mike drop, she walks out of the room. Soon after, Chris and Coppahala are outside, finally talking it out. Chris regrets the Gorge jump. He thinks his rivalry between his mom shop and the Dirt Devil's is his fault. He finally wants to fix everything, and Kappa Hala says that he will help. So it was just too quick a transition. I would like to have seen a little bit more than that. Yeah, I get what they were doing, but a little more would have been good. Meanwhile, Kappahala's mom is trying to convince Carla to stay and delay the shop opening, which hey, you should have done in the first place. Yeah, whatever, it's a start. Then Kappa Hala calls. He tells them to come to the shop, and when they arrive, their sh shock to see it's been totally decorated, steaming volcano and all it is ready to open. Chris Coppahala, Val and Sam accomplish what was taking weeks to finish in a few hours. And again, what is going on with timing in this movie? I just don't understand. Yeah, I don't get it.
Speaker 2: We just got to keep moving, Okay, we're we're nearing that ninety minute mark.
Speaker 1: We just got.
Speaker 2: To keep jump on board.
Speaker 1: We need this movie perfect for Spidey, so it's got to be ninety minutes. Let's go wrap it up. Let's wrap it up, people, Let's wrap it up, people. We got ninety minutes. Hey, we haven't finished the race. We don't know who wins. That's it. Nine did you start? Okay?
Speaker 2: Good, We're good.
Speaker 1: We're already riding back against the boards or against the boards whatever I called number three. And now it is time for the grand opening. It is packed with customers and valas helping coordinate the festivities with an iron fist, and across the street, Troy is having words with a man in the suit. He was supposed to step in if the buyer backed out, but he's changed his mind. Troy's life depends on this, and they had a verbal contract. When the disagreement starts to get physical, Tsunami and Kapa Halla's dad run over and step in, and we realized that the man in the suit is VAL's dad. Troy was hoping the businessman would buy the shop for a new condo development, but negotiations fell through. So everyone learned.
Speaker 2: You just convincingly said like you didn't know it was VAL's dad who he was talking to you?
Speaker 1: Did you know? Did you like how I made it seem like we were what it was? Vowsals dad?
Speaker 2: It was like not aws, look at your dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't the meddling kids. Oh, my god, it's vows dad. Yeah, I tried to make it seem like it was a surprise, doing my best, and this is your favorite movie of all time? What do you want me to do? It's true. Yes, Everyone learns that the Dirt Devil's leader's plan was to ditch everyone and move to California. VAL's dad wasn't interested in helping him let kids down, including his daughter. Troy calls himself the real deal and tells Tsunami that the Dirt Devils will win in the end. He'll make sure Carlos goes out of business. Kappa Hala realizes this torment will never end, so he steps up and challenges the bully to a mountain board race. If Troy wins, Tsunami will quit selling mountain boards. If Kappa Hola winds, both stores can sell whatever they want. I'm just gonna let that sit. So maybe the movie's actually about free trade more than anything else. Is that what it's about. It's such a weird thing. And of course, then Troy accepts, and Tsunami accepts because he has faith in his grandson, who's mountain boarded twice. VAL's dad reveals he owns the perfect spot for the race, the toilet bowl. Nope, never went back there, So we go instead to Voila. We are at a fully developed mountain board park with the race being prepped with flags and banners and barrels of hay. So Tsunami secretly convinced the bank to fund a full development. And again, how much time do we have here, because now all of a sudden there's a full race track that's been built.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, you're still you're still all in, john eighty seven minutes.
Speaker 2: So we got to just take it as it is.
Speaker 1: But you're still in. You're like, yes, this is exactly what I thought was gonna happen. I'm gonna put the fate of the fate of my store in the hands of a kid who's mountain boarded twice against the guy who runs the whole team and is the only one in the known world at this point who actually mountain boards as an adult. See.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing too, though, I was also thinking that Troy actually wasn't good.
Speaker 1: That's correct, that's what that's what Johnny do it. Yeah, we got like you're just a poser.
Speaker 2: I thought he was gonna be like, uh no, no, no, and like, come on, come on, do it, and then he actually could. So I was I was starting to.
Speaker 1: Yep, So were you okay? Good? I hope? So, I hope, So, I hope you're allerged, just like I love this movie, so Ah says. But still, Chris now has his own field to practice on, just like Kappa Hala had his own surface, had his own ocean to surf in. And with the race getting closer, Kapahla knows the pressure is on because again he doesn't know how to do this thing. Chris has scoped out the whole course and gives his nephew some advice. Troy trash talks his opponent, but our challenger remains confident. Sam, who's now unexplainably a race official, breaks down the rules and with that, here we go, Ready said go, We get another Instagram filter. As the race starts in the two borders, feverishly carved through the dirt, neck and neck, they're completing jumps and trading off first place until Troy takes the lead. But it is close. Anyone could win this thing. As they rail grind around a mud. As they rail grind around mud and soar over ditches the future of the shop will come down to the wire. On a final turn, they crash into each other. Both fall into the ground, but Troy's the first one to get back up and now has a decent lead. But in a move that can only be described as dummy, Troy attempts a massive trick mid race, even though the trick means absolutely nothing for winning, and as a result, he wipes out and as kind of falling down the hill. Then Kappa Halla does a twist of his own, again for no reason at all, and crosses the finish line, speeding right into a massive wall of Hey, he's the victor, and his dad in tsunami race to the crash to see if he's okay. But he's all good. His first words are that was sweet.
Speaker 2: Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait okay. So the trick. This was a very confusing race because it wasn't just a race though they said you have to do three.
Speaker 1: Tricks at the end, but at the end and none of it and why do you have to do tricks? And I don't know that was who he decides what the tricks are?
Speaker 2: The weirdest rules for a race I have ever seen.
Speaker 1: That was like on a racetrack that didn't exist the day before yesterday but was somehow.
Speaker 2: And now, and the idea of doing three tricks. So it's like that's where they had to up the ante on these last little like doop de doop's at the very end of the race, which makes them go for whatever. I don't know. It was kind of like so it's not just about speed, like if one of them only did two and then the third one the second person did three but finished after Sabrina.
Speaker 1: The idea that you do not know all the perfect rules to the Johnny Cappahola mountain board race. That's insane that you don't know.
Speaker 2: It was lost. I'm sorry, are you lost? I apologize, I I did. I rewound it to figure it out.
Speaker 4: And if it was crossing the finish line first but didn't hit your technical three tricks, your docked point seven percent of a point, which at the end of the day is added to double time of what you finished crossing the race, according to Sam, who's a race official.
Speaker 2: Come on, Sabrina, I guess I wasn't paid attention.
Speaker 1: None of this. I'm sorry. None of this is fame.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: None, no, none of this made sense, having Johnny Cappahola. Just make it about surfing. Just make the movie about surfing. No, just make.
Speaker 2: About we are locked in on this mountain board.
Speaker 1: How do you how do you not make it about surf? And then it's it is Johnny Kappahala teaching his young little uncle the joy of the ocean. How is that not? Yes, his little baby uncle, which is, by the way, my new rat name is a little baby uncle. How do you not make that this thing where he teaches him the magic of the ocean, the spirituality of the ocean. I mean, it's it. Let's go. We're gonna go all the way back to Hawaii, Johnny Kappahola, and then we're gonna mountain board. None of this makes sense, Sabrina. I know you love it, but it's okay.
Speaker 2: But at ninety eight minutes, we have got to finish this movie.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you all right. So fus him and they celebrate his one big family. But Troy isn't done, even though he promised let things be, He's never given up. But the policeman from earlier butts in. He says it is finished. They've released Jared from custody and now they want to talk to the ring leader. Jared fully confessed because again he's a little and proved it was Troy's idea. They cuffed the owner and take him away.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, I am going just so you know, if you ever asked me to do something illegal and then you don't know, and I go to jail and they're telling me I'm going to jail and Will is not and it was your idea to begin with. I am telling them everything they need to know to make sure that I am not going to jail. Well, do not ever ask me. I'm telling you right now, do not ask me to do something like that because I am not reliable. I am not going to jail for anyone else.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna throw on a juntos.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll stick with you, but if you bail, I am rating your thought so fast. I don't blame Jared for a second. Yes it was him, It was it was Troy the whole time.
Speaker 1: Sam Hi, I have a new hashtag. It's hashtag Cheetah snitch cheat all day.
Speaker 2: I am not going to jail. Are no one, no fun No.
Speaker 1: You and I We've talked about this. Neither of us are built for prison. I'll rat out whoever I have to even up.
Speaker 2: I will survive, not even forty five minutes in that place. There is no.
Speaker 1: Way I don't break away.
Speaker 2: Personality is not going to be tolerated for even forty five minutes. They don't hate me.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's why. That's why I don't. That's why I don't break the law, because I will not last. Don't come to it.
Speaker 2: I'm not that person.
Speaker 1: Yep. Fair enough, chet your whole day. All day, we're changing strut to snitch. I love it full new song.
Speaker 2: You got a you mean it free your man, I love it.
Speaker 1: Okay With that, the rest of the Dirt Devils, now without a true leader, arrived to congratulate Kapahala. They love the new park that they didn't know about as the six people who actually do this sport, and there's an entire thing there, and invite Chris to ride with him. Val joins in too, and it looks like we have a new Dirt Devil's and there's just one little thing left to do. That beautiful wedding dress is going a waste. So Sabrina, all this apparently happened in the same day I don't get it. I don't get it. I can't help him out time wise, I don't know what's happening. But Tsunami and Carla decide they are gonna get married, and we're magically transported to it. Now on the beach, everyone's thrilled, even Chris, who drinks a fruity virgin drink at the ceremony. We think it's a virgin. He could be hammered. He exchanges a smile with Kappahala, and the movie ends with Johnny, Tsunami and his grandson finally sharing a wave and then pretending to pull Chris into the water. The three men of the family walk down the beach as the credits roll. Holy, can we do some real reviews? Sabrina? You have the five star this week? What do you got?
Speaker 2: Oh man? Well, this is the five star and it's a pretty good one by Karl. I wish I can go to Hawaiian surf, but I don't know how to swim. Five stars.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much for watching our film. I have our one star by our old friend w Hunamad. That's right, unnamed his back. This was my favorite movie when I was eleven. I like I think I liked it so much because I had a crush on the guy who played Johnny. But now since I hate Disney movies and my heart belongs to somebody else, I don't enjoy it anymore. One star interesting.
Speaker 2: And just lost one follow.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, I'm still in love with Brandon Baker and this was not a good movie. He was great. We're now going to get to our feature presentation, Sabrina's Favorite, which is called Double Up. So sure, this movie has some age gap issues with relationships, but the real problem with Johnny Coppohaala back on Board resides in spelling. In the title, Johnny's last name is spelled I'm gonna lose all right, Oh you want to see bad? The only thing that works for me than spelling is geography. K A P A h A l A. Yet in the credits it has two l's, So make up your mind, guys. For the game, we'll get other words that may or may not have a repeated letter in it, and we have to guess yes or no. Three out of five wins. Oh God, what what unfortunate producer is going to make us look awful? Today?
Speaker 2: You have Mikayla yay is a pretty good luck charm.
Speaker 1: For me, it is Mikayla spelled m y r T hashtag apostrophe. Okay, here we go, silent que, silent Q upside down For MICHAELA, okay, here we go. What do we have for our word today? Mickayla?
Speaker 5: Okay? The first one? Battalion.
Speaker 1: Oh that's easy. Battalion has two l's, doesn't it? Oh? God, now I'm gonna question everything, doesn't it?
Speaker 5: I mean you're saying l's Is that what?
Speaker 2: Qts?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 3: What is this?
Speaker 1: It's just any repeating letter.
Speaker 2: Does it? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Does it have a repeating letter? You're saying out?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think there's two. I don't think there's to T.
Speaker 5: So you technically get it right because there are eating letters, but it's T.
Speaker 1: It's T. Yes, you did, but technically we get I'll take I'll take the win. Oh yeah, there's one L of course, be a T T A L I O N. Okay, okay, I'm gonna be writing all these out. What's our second word?
Speaker 5: Super sed?
Speaker 2: Super seded? Yeah, to ease?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree? No, damn it, god, I suck it spelling. What's the third word? This game should have just been called make will and Sabrina looks stupid. What's the third word? There?
Speaker 5: Almost be called that belligerent?
Speaker 2: Belligerate? Yes, no, yes, there's two l's right, correct?
Speaker 1: Okay, what's is there another one?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: Number four? Millinery?
Speaker 2: Millinery?
Speaker 1: Can you? Can you give us a country of origin and use it in a sentence? Please?
Speaker 5: The design, manufacturer and sale of ads and other head aware?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: Why didn't Why didn't.
Speaker 1: I knew I was going to ask, No, he didn't do this.
Speaker 5: I did it for myself.
Speaker 6: Because you knew I was going to ask millinery, millinery? No, mill in No, yes, damn it? What's what's is there?
Speaker 1: Two l's again?
Speaker 5: Two l's correct?
Speaker 4: God?
Speaker 1: Is that the end? Are there?
Speaker 5: Okay? Last one? Last one? Canceling?
Speaker 1: Yes, canceling, canceling canceling?
Speaker 2: Yes, no, no, no, no, it's a no.
Speaker 1: Worst game ever.
Speaker 2: Put a request that we cut this whole segment of this episode.
Speaker 1: I'd like to double it. Can we keep looking at words? I think we've technically won, But God, is that a win. It's a lost win.
Speaker 2: I didn't get succeed.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that is a loss for society.
Speaker 2: You one will, great job, Well.
Speaker 1: Thanks take you for that again, michaela spelled with a silent R. Can we do some Sabrina Seas? Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay. My first three is literally Sam.
Speaker 1: You, is that you?
Speaker 2: Sam blink once? That's you? Then it was the car is so Cool? And then the next one, brother, those are my three Sason movie. Okay, I loved it, and I also went damn, I can't believe we wasted our interview on bus right not not doing this movie even talked about it rather heard about this than fun fuck it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I agree.
Speaker 2: Anyways, all right, so question for you will yes, as a Sabrina Sea, did you believe or buy into Baby Uncle Chris being twelve?
Speaker 1: He seemed younger to me, he seemed much younger to seem like, he seemed like he was nine or ten. Yes, that's what I was super weird in this movie.
Speaker 2: Well, because the only thing that worked a little bit more is Brandon was clearly I mean it had we said what seven years, eight years, Brandon was clearly older. At this point, He's still young. He's still supposed to belay, yeah, it's supposed to be seventeen. He obviously wasn't, but he still looked young like, he didn't look super crazy old, but like agreed. Also, like to me, Jake did not look he didn't come across as a as a twelve year old Jake and Chris.
Speaker 1: Actually, what's funny is if you think about the ages of everyone in this movie, Johnny and Sam looked like they were probably in their mid twenties. The gang that they were dirt riding with looked like they were fifteen or sixteen, So Johnny looked older than everybody else. Yeah, the ages were really weird in this movie.
Speaker 2: They were. Yeah, it was. It was pretty strange. But that was my first like how old is this kid supposed to be? And it's like, oh, when I found out on twelve, I'm like what okay. One thing that we didn't really talk about, and I don't know why it was, it jumped out at me so much. There was a lot of kissing between do know, I mean and Carla, Like every time they were in a scene together, there was a smooch, like a like a high or a good guy or like it was constantly. Yeah, but we don't normally see that in d coms. There were and I don't know if it was to just continuously remind everyone that they were connected. Because there was obviously supposed to be an age gap between them. But I don't know why. It just kept jumping out on me. I mean they there was so we don't see moms and dads that are married and d COM's kiss good. Hello.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: So it kind of it wasn't that it bothered me. It just was very like, hi, okay, bye, oh hey, you're here, like a lot of kissing.
Speaker 1: I guess you know when you're when you're just about to get married, you do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, No, it makes sense. It's just it was different, I guess for what we normally see, the like interaction that happens. First of all, the two Johnny's their relationship is just a dream. It's so cute. I love it so much. Johnny's relationship is probably one of my favorite relationships. We've watched them.
Speaker 1: Is that so much?
Speaker 2: They're like so much. If there is an awards ceremony, we got to keep that in mind. Okay, okay, because I can think it's one of the best relationships we've seen.
Speaker 1: An award ceremony.
Speaker 2: There should be an award ceremony.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: One thing that was weird, so we get an and this could have just been editing and thus getting to the ninety minute mark. But the dad, Johnny's dad, the way he mentions it, it seems like his storyline is going to have a big problem with maybe the age gap and the brother that is now. And it's mentioned in the beginning that that he doesn't know who it is. Once we find out who Chris the brother is, like, it is not talked about at all the way Johnny's dad takes it in that his now brother is, you know, three decades younger than him. So, yeah, that's an interesting thing. Another thing that happens more than we've seen in a long time is kind of the I don't want to get weird about it, but the boys they're being at an older age. It makes sense, right, they are noticing girls a lot more, but this is the first time we really see like when they're driving at the very beginning, Sam and Johnny and they're like, oh, hey, like some hot girls. Then the bathing suits, and then Sam being really flirtatious, not like a we normally see a funny kind of flirtatious.
Speaker 1: He's actually like he's.
Speaker 2: Not acting, He's like, what are you doing? After said today. This was the first time I feel like as I can remember that idea of like the like kind of sexuality, like you know, the energy between you know, teenagers is really shown quite a bit, especially with the bathing suits a little more skimpy bathing suits, okay, And.
Speaker 1: They never one thing I did like those. They never put Val in any of that stuff. No, she was never dressed in like, oh, we're gonna throw her on the beach and put her in little skimpy bikinis.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 1: They never did any of that, right, right, So that was it.
Speaker 2: And then there's one more. This moment was what speaking of Val, there's one more and the idea and we I talked about it earlier. She clearly was not comfortable or for whatever reason contractual or whatever ever, on an actual board doing anything, not when they were skateboard, not when they were writing nothing, nothing notice And they those fast edits actually make it to where that's what made me go, well, they definitely can't show her because they didn't have a girl dirtboard rider, right, And they show her feet and that's it. And then even when they're in the skate park later on, they don't show her at all. The only time we see her on a board is in the surf part, which she did great maybe, but yeah, so that was something that I did notice, Like she clearly as an actress, she probably didn't even bother lying like every other actor.
Speaker 1: If there's no there's nobody in the world that would answer the question do you mountain board? Yeah? Sure do ye no, but you could tell.
Speaker 2: But because we know Brandon is a skateboarder, he talked about it when we talked to him, so him and even Sam seemed like he had skateboarding, you know whatever, so they were able to show more of that. But that was something I definitely know. She's not on a board except for that state board. Yeah, that's it, all right.
Speaker 1: So we've now come to the portion of our program where we have to rate the film that we just saw. My guess is our ratings are going to be probably a little bit different this week. The Spider, yes, Spidey, sp' Spidey right.
Speaker 2: Sighty is not happy over there with Rooster. All right, I can tell.
Speaker 1: We're going to do one out of ten this week, and we're going to make one the littlest number. So that probably.
Speaker 2: Our shortest recommendations of ratings we've ever had it is.
Speaker 1: We don't have many, but I think they're good. So we're going to do one out of ten Cold Irons striking Why the Iron Is Cold, as they did eight years later, Y two k Oakley sunglass ads one out of ten, Holy Hooly Chickens one out of ten, Spidey and Roosters come on, one out of ten, Dirt Devils three second, criminal investigations one out of ten, age inappropriate relationships one out of ten, Barney Pajamas or one out of ten. Friendly business practices. I think we know what it's gonna be, don't we. Of course it's gotta be Spidey and Roosters.
Speaker 2: The good old Spidey and Roosters.
Speaker 1: Why don't we uh start with you and you tell us why you like this movie, and I'll tell you why you're wrong. Why don't we start with that?
Speaker 2: Oh man, Okay, I'm gonna admit it, and I'm I'm I'm not upset about it. I'm not ashamed. This movie, even though it was brand new to me, had such a depth of nostalgia. For me. I was this movie's biggest cheerleader through and through. I loved it. Yes, there were a couple of missteps. I do think there should be now a third one to then actually get back in the water and give me some more of what I was hoping for. And this this second movie great. But you know, I thought the movie was was a great It was cute, it was it was something. It wasn't horrible, And like I said, it was gonna have to take a horrible movie to make me have a negative tone with it. I thought. Brandon, it was so great to see him have a chance to reprise this amazing role for him, that was awesome. And also to get a lot more of We got a bit of it in the first movie, but to really dive into more of this amazing relationship between the two Johnny's was something that I thought was very cool and really what I took from it the most. I loved this relationship. Can't wait to give it an award one day, and I'm gonna stick with a solid eight bidies and roosters.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, go Brandon. It was not horrible. It can't be horrible when you're right you have this amount of nostalgia in it. Love Brandon, love the cast. For the most part, I thought the kid was a bit of a misstep. I don't blame him, he was young, but it did. The movie did have some pretty bad plot holes, though, and some stuff that just really didn't make any sense, but just nostalgia based and Brandon based. I think I'm generously gonna give this a six point five, oh Spidey's and not even a seven, not even a No, I can't do it. I can't do it. I'm sorry, Spidey, but I can't do it. It didn't I mean, especially when you go back to how good the first one was, right, I mean, and that's hard so good. The first one is one of my favorites that we've done. I mean, this was the the Johnny Tsunami was just a really great, Oh god better you know. The clip literally popped up on my feed again of her doing the special secret move at the end with the basketball, and I wanted to rerate it even lower. It was. Yeah, so uh no, I think six point five is generous, and that's based solely on Brandon and the cast. And yeah, because it needed to rewrite the story, needed to rewrite some of the casting. Was was strange, just age wise. The timing of the movie didn't make a whole lot of sense. And again I know I'm nitpicking, but I loved the first one so much, and Brandon's so good that I'm giving it six point five.
Speaker 2: It makes it hard. It makes it hard when the first one is so good to live up to the hype.
Speaker 1: And the expectation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the first one was so so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Lee not having Lee Thompson there, it was weird. Yeah. So there was there was some strangeness in this movie that I could not look past. And the kid was so annoying.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, And I love Jake in all of his other roles. That's just so wild. He very sometimes actually made me feel like he sound a little bit like Simba. For like a bunch of takes, it seemed like he like he's got a great little voice.
Speaker 1: I mean it was he's normally the other stuff we've seen him in and we've watched other things with him, he's very good. He is a very good child actor. He was not in this, and it must be. You know, sometimes it's the director you work with, sometimes it's the other actors you work with. But if you go back, he's fighting a smile in even very serious scenes. He's laughing inappropriate. It's little kid stuff that you do when you're a really little kid actor. I did it when I was a really little kid actor. It happens. So it's not like, oh, this this twelve year old or ten year old needs to be beaten down. No, it's not that at all. It's just it wasn't a great performance, so you know, it kind of took me out of it a little bit. And again having nothing to do with him, that his character was really annoying.
Speaker 2: Moments for his character, and again very on Disney, very on Disney, yes, for his because he wasn't meant to be the villain like character, right it right, So that, yeah, very on Disney.
Speaker 1: You know you can, you can have annoying little brother that still has moments of kind of awesomeness. We've seen it all the time in.
Speaker 2: This remember the Brink Little.
Speaker 1: God. We got to get Brink little sister and this little brother together to make the worst d coom in the history of film. That will be fine. Well, thank you everybody for joining us. By the way, I think you're probably gonna think that we're both wrong. That Spidey thought it was too good and I thought it was too bad, so somewhere in the middle is probably right, but thank you for joining us. Our next movie keeps us Near the Ocean, and it is a biographical drama based on real events from the September eleventh attacks. So I think it's safe to say this is not going to be a comedy, and it stars some very big names for a dcom. It's two thousand and fours Tiger Cruz starring Hayden Penetier and Bill Pullman. This one is available to stream on Disney Plus, so feel free to work ahead. Prep can only help you with us. But before we board the USS Constellation, we will revert back to programming The Greatest Boyfriend Ever because we chatted with the hilarious Matt Schivey, who played the annoying taxi driver big brother Bart and how to build a Better boy He was so much fun to talk to in a ton of things incredible shows and take a little listen to what you can expect from our Park Copper episode.
Speaker 3: And then I remember it was about two weeks before I graduated high school and I had no plans of going to college or anything, and my mom was like, well, we can't do the acting thing. Anymore because you need to focus on what's going to come next. And I got this audition for this Nickelodeon show Treue Jackson VP, and I read the sides and I was like, moh, I'm going to book this. And I walked into the casting office and was Christia Bullock, who I had known for many years. And I walked in. I said, this is my last audition, this last time you're going to see me. And she was like, oh my gosh, are you quitting? And I was like, no, I'm booking this.
Speaker 1: We love Matt so much. It really is a great episode. So make sure to search for Magical Rewind wherever you get your podcasts and subscribe so new episodes are delivered to you the day they come out, much like a wonderful cake that just shows up at your house. And for more info, you can follow us, of course at Magical Rewind Pod on the Instagram machine that's on your little phone thing by Everybody eight