Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Ear your leasure.
Speaker 3: Podcast Episode two Welcome back, Welcome back. Thank you guys for tuning into episode one. Continue to let us know your feedback. But we appreciate you guys, But we're gonna get right into it. It's a second week, second episode, So Troy when we started.
Speaker 4: Let's start at the end, let's started to propose, and then the government shutdown, the longest shut down in the history of the United the United States, thirty five days, eight hundred thousand federal workers without pay, lost to paychecks.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 4: It was a terrible story, just the testimony to hear some of some of these federal workers losing out on the fact that they couldn't pay bills, the fact that they couldn't afford food. I mean, you saw these stories, countless stories on the news in the recent weeks, and it rose our attention as to something that we've heard before.
Speaker 5: And that was one of the lines that jay Z.
Speaker 4: Said, in anticipation for precipitation, staped chicks for a rainy day, and that rainy day could be anything. It could be a government shut down, it could be a loss of a job, it could be a death in a family. So those rainy days we have to prepare for. And what better way to talk about that than you know, with our financial advisor about that what things we could put in place to plan for these rainy days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's a real world example.
Speaker 3: Like you said that, jay Z's line is it's classic for a few different reasons. But I know we quote jay Z a lot, but he says a lot of good things if you actually take the time to listen. When he said in anticipation for precipitations, chips for a rainy day, what he's really saying is that you got to put some money away, right at the end of the day, You got to put some money away in case of these type of situations. But it really highlights a broad a point where a lot a lot of people, unfortunately in America, you know, live paycheck to paycheck, right, So what happens that the danger in that is that when that paycheck stops, you're screwed, right, for lack of a better word. So you know, you saw a lot of government employees on food lines and they couldn't eat properly. You know, they was, they couldn't pay their rent, they couldn't do anything. And that really comes down to that they didn't have money saved, right. And one of the things, you know, it's hard to save money if you live paycheck to paycheck because the money that you get is the money that you're spending, right, So how do you ever save money if you don't have enough money to actually save and it's.
Speaker 5: No fault of their own right. A lot of Americans are in that position.
Speaker 3: Well, we can't say that because each individual situation is different. Sometimes it is some as fall right, Sometimes it's not there fora sometimes it is therefore, because you know, you might spend money on frivolous things, or you might not you know, pay yourself first, you might not budget.
Speaker 2: So can't we can't just say that.
Speaker 5: I'm not saying in that term.
Speaker 4: I'm saying in terms of they did a job right, they worked through this shutdown and did not get paid for them.
Speaker 3: The government shutdowns is a lesson in the government shutdown, so because you can't rely on anything really right. So the government shutdown was something that was just in the news. But people lose their jobs every day for a variety of different reasons, and so that that could be their government shutdown. This was just something that affected a lot of people. But it speaks to a broader sense of being prepared, right, because this is something that could happen to anybody, whether you're a government employee or not.
Speaker 4: Especially in one of the lessons that obviously we just said prepare for that rainy day, but also having one stream of cash.
Speaker 5: Well, right, once that one stream is.
Speaker 2: Done exactly, that's that's yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: So that's one of the one of the books that one of the first finance books that I read when I was probably like eighteen years old, was multiple streams of income. And really what the book was talking about was having multiple streams of income, right for just this reason. They say the average million that has between I think four to seven streams of income because they understand that if one thing falls apart, they need something else to fall back on.
Speaker 5: Correct.
Speaker 3: So yeah, there's a lot of different lessons that you know, we can learn from in this unfortunate situation for government shutdown. And another thing to point out is that unfortunately, you know, a lot of these workers were African American, right, Yeah, And it highlights even a broader problem in the country, which is the wealth gap.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: So we talked about the way I talked about the wealth gap before, but I don't think a lot of people don't fully understand how bad the wealth gap is.
Speaker 4: So we have country like in a sense, it's like, let's yes, people are living to paycheck to paycheck, but let's start dealing with some of the root causes. Why are we living paycheck to paycheck?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: So, the New York Times had an article where they had a few research study that showed the average black families networth or seventeen hundred dollars, the average Latino family networth was nineteen hundred dollars, and the average white families networth was one hundred and sixteen thousand.
Speaker 4: But even in the statement, I remember you telling me this over the summer, and I was even I was a bit cof you.
Speaker 5: I was taking them back, and then when.
Speaker 4: I thought about it, I'm like, oh, okay, wait, somebody's net worth is more than somebody's rent or less than somebody's rent.
Speaker 5: It was like, uh huh.
Speaker 4: But to understand it is to understand what networth is and what goes into that and how that's even accumulated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so networth, Yeah, networth is assets minus liabilities.
Speaker 2: That's what it is. Right.
Speaker 3: So a lot of time we hear like celebrity networths, And you said, like, people might see a celebrity and that networth is ten million dollars, right, but they think that that person has ten million dollars.
Speaker 4: In the fact, we heard we heard Charlotte Matne say, look, I go to a celebritynetwork dot com and it says I'm working. He said, I'm worth twenty one million. I do not have twenty million dollars exactly.
Speaker 3: So networth is your assets minus your liabilities. Your assets is something like your home, if you have investments, retirement, that's an asset, right. Your liability is something that you're spending money on, so your debt, so if you have credit card debt, your mortgage, all that stuff. So a lot of times people have negative networks, right because if you have if you have one thousand dollars in savers and you got five thousand dollars in credit card debt, now you have a negative networth for four thousand dollars, right, right, So that's what it comes down to. That's what that's how they measure networths in America. The reason why there is a lot of different reasons why the wealth gapage.
Speaker 4: So that number again one hundred and sixteen thousand to sixteen hundred, you said seventeen hundred, seventeen hundred, So that huge disparity.
Speaker 3: Well, the interesting the interesting thing about that is that the wealth gap now in America is actually larger than it was in nineteen ninety in South Africa. So for people that don't fully understand the history behind that, South Africa used to have a political system called apartheid, right, and apartheid was legal discrimination based on race, whereas if you were black, you wasn't allowed to own a home, you wasn't allowed to start a business, you wasn't allowed to have a farm. So they was legally it was illegal discrimination.
Speaker 5: That it was legal, and we've seen similar things like that here, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that was legal. Like a lot of things that were done here were under the veil of laws put in place but to make it harder and they kind of masket. But South Africa that they had no apology, like this is what we're going with. So the wealth gap is worse now than it was in nineteen ninety in South Africa. That says a lot, right, So I don't think people fully understand the ramifications of that. But one of the real world effects is what we see the government workers. Right, So these a lot of times we have negative network so we have very small networks. So when we're putting these situations where we lose our job, it's a crisis. One week can make it a crisis one month, you can mipe be on the street. That's real, you know what. So this is something that we talk about saving, investing, pay yourself first. It's not just something that we just talk about. This is something that it really matters in real world scenario and a couple of different factors how people Because people a lot of times they say like, well, what makes up a person's network, or like how do you determine the net worth?
Speaker 5: Well, the number one way is home equity.
Speaker 3: Well, so there's a few different ways, but there's three ways for the average America. There's three ways that a person will measure them network or what makes up a person's network, and that's home value, right, And that's also retirement accounts because that's so most people their investments that they have is in a retirement account like a four to one kit at a job. And then it's inheritance that they might get from passing a relative or parent whoever leaves them inheritance. So the problem in our community, African American community, black community, whatever you want to call it, is that we lack in all three right, A lot of times we don't own the place that we live in.
Speaker 2: So we're renting, so we can never have that as a value.
Speaker 3: We don't fully fund or don't fully understand our retirement, so we don't put enough money into that, so later on down your line, you don't have a nest egg saved to your retirement. And the biggest way, the most effective way to leave an inheritance is life insurance. A lot of times we don't have insurance, right, so not only when we die, are we not leaving somebody monny, but we're leaving them debt they actually have to pay, so it's actually hurting them when we die. And you got to go to your religious organization and asks people to donate and do different things. So that's three ways right there that we fall behind and that that affects us. As far as talking about the network, so all of it ties in. All of this stuff ties in. We talk about a lot of that. We're going to talk about a different suff on this podcast as the weeks goes on, and even as this episode goes on, but it's important to talk about real world situations and real world problems that affect the average person, not just a celebrity or not just you know, a CEO of a company. But the average working people, because that's the majority of the people, right. So these are real world problems that are affecting us, affecting our community, and affecting the world. Not just our communities, it's affecting the whole nation. So the wealth gap is something that should concern everybody, whether you're a black cousin. I want to get this clear too, because the message of financial literacy is for the whole world, is for mankind, right. It's not limited to one race of people, but the struggles of any race of people should affect every race of people, right, So the struggles of black people in America is bigger than just black people's problem. It spills over into every other community, so it's everybody's. Everybody should be alarmed by this statistic, and everybody needs to play a part and improving the conditions. And a lot of it starts with education, that's true. A lot of it starts with education. So even like teaching with the kids with the school and learning about finances and learning about what the four to one k is and learning, a lot of this stuff starts with education. So that's why we're here as well. The properly as.
Speaker 4: I remember one of the most important lessons you did with our summer program was you talked about the federal spending and you saw how much we spent on defense and how much we spend on education. And I think you pose a question, what would it look like if the roles were reversed, right, what if we spent more on education.
Speaker 3: Well, we spend like thirty percent of the budget something. Don't quote me this around that like thirty percent of the budget the national budget goes to defense, the military, were like four percent goes to education.
Speaker 5: Is even less.
Speaker 3: So it's like, okay, what you know. That's a that's that's telling right there. We spend thirty on protecting I guess you want to call it protecting our borders and fighting wars overseas and the military and the Navy. You know it's important, but we spend four percent on education.
Speaker 4: Yeah, telling, right, And so like when our students saw that, they were like dumbfounded by it. But I said, and I think this is one of the messages we conveyed to them. It's like, look, if you want to see these things change, then you got to fight for these things. We're going to fight for them. But you're the next generation. You gotta fight for them as well. So that's important, man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, so yeah, so that right, okay, so yeah, that's the government shutdown.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So it's very interesting that the shutdown has has ended at this time of the year because you know, it is a.
Speaker 5: Busy travel time.
Speaker 4: The busiest airport in the country, Hartfield Jackson in Atlanta saw workers calling out at an all time rate. Right, these these people were furloughed, they were working without pay. I think ten percent of the TSA called out, which, in turn, right, you're fighting for national security or you don't want to open the government until you have money for a wall, but the people who work at your airports are calling out, which is a national security emergency in itself.
Speaker 5: So I can imagine what the mayor of Atlanta.
Speaker 4: Who who is the mayor of the obviously the city with the largest airport, what she's thinking at a time like this when she has a huge event that's about to happen in her city in the next week or so. So with that, you know, so we're going to super Bowl, we don't we don't talk about the super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Before we start talking some super Bowl. Let's just get this clear. We're not taking a stance on super Bowl either way. If you choose to watch the super Bowl, not no problem with that. If you choose not to watch the super Bowl, have no problem with that. We're not endorsing the super Bowl or we're not even bashing.
Speaker 2: The super Bowl. Everybody has a right to do what they want and to make their own decisions. I know that's you know, that's a hot topic right now with Colin Kaepernick. Can you know, of course we support.
Speaker 3: Him, But like all things in life, we can learn from the business side of what's going on in the super Bowl. And one of the biggest aspects of the super.
Speaker 5: Bowl outside of the game, outside.
Speaker 2: Of the game is super Bowl ads.
Speaker 3: Yes, right, So yeah, let's talk about that because marketing is something that I always had a passion for and I think that business, any business that you're in, marketing is important plays a part no matter what you're doing, you have to find a way to market yourself and there's a lot of different ways that you can market yourself. But studying the Super Bowl marketing is an interesting case study.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when we looked at it, it was pretty astonishing. We saw a few things and we're going to get into that of how marketing is changing and how it looks on a large scale. So the Super Bowl obviously is the most watched single sporting event in the United States. Last year it average one hundred and thirteen million viewers, I think, which was actually a dcline from twenty sixteen when they had one hundred and fourteen million, which was an all time record. I think the Patriots versus Seahawks was the game, but one hundred and thirteen million viewers. So obviously, marketing teams and firms know that this is the time where we can get the largest amount of people concentrated on one thing. It's a live event, which means you can't fast forward through it.
Speaker 5: So you have to sit through the commercials.
Speaker 4: So what has happened over time is people have spent large amounts of money to get their ads on during the commercial breaks of the Super Bowl. In two thousand, the average costs for Super Bowl commercial was two million dollars.
Speaker 5: Right last year, the commercials were going for five point five.
Speaker 2: Million sixty seconds thirty thirty for a thirty second clip.
Speaker 3: So five all right, So five point five million for a thirty second.
Speaker 4: And not that that doesn't include the cost of making the ad. So sometimes you have these over the top commercials with movie stars and all types of explosives and stunts.
Speaker 5: On top of paying those people, you got to pay just to put it on TV networks.
Speaker 2: Okay, so is it worth it?
Speaker 4: Let's see so we can we can talk about a few companies that have done this model, and yeah, it has worked for some of them. I obviously Budweiser's has been doing this for multiple of years.
Speaker 5: They're probably the king of the two book commercials.
Speaker 4: I think this year they bought eight slots sor right, So if they bought eight slots and five five million you talking about forty million dollars just on commercials. The reeols will be doing their same thing. So those companies obviously household names, we know them.
Speaker 5: Then you have companies like.
Speaker 2: Go Daddy, game changer.
Speaker 5: You want to talk about Daddy a little bit game changer.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so Go Daddy.
Speaker 3: Go Daddy probably has the one of the best marketing campaign for Super Bowl history.
Speaker 5: Right when they've been hit a miss, they started with they.
Speaker 3: Hit Okay, So go Daddy's interesting for a few different levels, right, because before Super Bowl, at least I didn't know what.
Speaker 2: Go Daddy was right.
Speaker 3: I think they started their first Super Bowl add in two thousand and three overnight. Everybody knew who they were, so anybody that's not familiar with Go Daddy there. They host websites, so they had an add in two thousand and five that was banned. At least half of it was banned. Pretty much it was.
Speaker 4: This episode is brought to you by P ANDC Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding of professional routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association member FDIC Erners.
Speaker 5: What's up?
Speaker 4: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital tipping is a breeze and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 6: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from El Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you were here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 5: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 3: Almost a half naked yeah woman. It was like a half naked woman in front of Congress and a shirt kept falling off. It was crazy. I actually watched to add on YouTube. And but the interesting thing about it is that they had to know that that was never.
Speaker 2: Going to get approved.
Speaker 5: Right, it was worth the rest.
Speaker 2: No, it's worth the risk.
Speaker 3: But it's even more so it's like they say, any publicity is good publicity. Right, So now you have a company who because when your ad is banned, it's like it's still on so on the internet, it's still on YouTube, and it's media saying that the ad got banned, so that everybody wants to see what got banned. What it is like, It's like a movie that is banned from TV or banned from the movie theater. Everybody's gonna want to go see what that movie is about, because why has it been so go daddy, And so I say this to say it had nothing to do with actually website hosting, right, but it worked, right, they became a household name overnight, and then they followed up you want to talk about the bar RAFAELI.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So they do the two thousand and five campaign with the congressional hearing.
Speaker 5: Then they make an important move.
Speaker 4: They get a sponsor, right, so they get somebody that is going to endorse their company.
Speaker 5: They take Danik K Patrick, whoge at the time.
Speaker 3: Dannik Patrick. For anybody that doesn't know, a legendary NASCAR driver who is a woman, and that's very rare in NASCAR. So she I don't know if she's if she's still involved with NASCAR but I.
Speaker 5: Think she retired.
Speaker 4: She's now the fiancee to Aaron Rodgers, is she yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, so she becomes the face of GoDaddy. So they still run the Super Bowl campaigns. But then, like you said, in twenty thirteen, they have the Perfect Match campaign where they have the super mal bariality kiss this kid who's supposed to be a nerd and again has nothing to do with the website hosting, is just the imagery that sells, and it's like this becomes the most popular commercial. So from that, the next day after the super Bowl, they watched their website gain increase on certain which is they get ten thousand new customers, thirty five percent increase of the mobile use of mobile use.
Speaker 2: They had their best day of their best day ever after that, and it wasn't.
Speaker 3: Just a kiss. It was like it was like thirty to the whole commercial with them kissing. It was very awkward situation to watch. Barbrafieli is a is a Victoria Secret model, right, and it was this guy. He was like, he's like an actor, but he always plays like the nerd, the geek type dude. So they just randomly start making out for thirty seconds and that's the ad.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 3: Literally within hours, Go Daddy's website. Spike's crazy. And like you said, the next day they hosting one up forty five percent, Domain one up forty percent, New mobile thirty five percent. They added ten thousand customers. They literally had their best day ever after that ad, which had nothing to do with anything.
Speaker 2: It really had nothing to do with anything.
Speaker 5: It was just a kissing ad.
Speaker 2: They had a supermodel kissing a nerd.
Speaker 5: Yeah, brilliant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So like that works, and then they run some more ads and then up until twenty sixteen, they realized like, all right, they.
Speaker 5: Don't need it, we don't need it anymore. We're gonna stop.
Speaker 3: They made they made their money already, they made their notoriety and they left.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so then from that it's a success.
Speaker 4: But then you got companies like Wix, which is another hosting like a website similar to gold Daddy, that decides to put this over the top campaign.
Speaker 5: They hire Gal Gadol.
Speaker 4: She is a superwoman, a wonder woman. I said superwoman. She's a wonder woman. So that had just came out. They get her, she's one of an A list actress and they see no Spike in fact, their numbers don't do anything. And what the Super Bowl ad did was get traffic to their site, but customers didn't buy anything, right, So that's you paid four million dollars five million dollars and all you got was traffic. Whereas we've seen other strategies that have been working in recent time of how to.
Speaker 3: Make marketing well, the game the marketing game has changed absolutely, right, Like the old fashioned way of marketing is to get in a magazine or get on TV and have an ad, but that's changed now social media.
Speaker 4: Social media has changed the game. Social media is changed, specifically the influences.
Speaker 3: Power of influencers, power of them, power of influences. I like to do case studies a lot. Like anybody follow me on Instagram, I like. I like case studies because I'm just I just think it's interesting to examine different business models and how people work. So one of the things that is interesting to me is a fashion over. Right, I'm pretty sure everybody has heard of Fashion Over. But if you haven't heard of Fashion Over, it's a clothing clothing brand. They have actually have men's line.
Speaker 5: Now they have a men's fashion over.
Speaker 3: They used to just be straight women so fashion Over is interesting as a case study for a few different reasons. But all right, so let's do the backstory on fashion Over.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So fashion Over actually starts in two thousand and six. Oh right, So the owner of Richard Shedding I think his name is, he opened the store in California and more in California two thousand and six, right, and it was regular store and then you know it wasn't doing anything. Within the last three years, fashion over has exploded. So in twenty thirteen they opened. They have their website. They started their website in twenty thirteen, and write it when they start their website. They started with Instagram. This is like the earlier days. Twenty eleven, I think Instagram becomes like popping, popping, But twenty thirteen is when they got on. They were early adapters into Instagram. Right, So here's the brilliant here's the brilliant thing that fashion Ova did. So they started at the top down, meaning they got a few a lists, very big name social media influences and they pay them. Right, So they had Kylie Jenner, Courtney car Chloe Kardashian right, and Cardi B a couple others. So they got a list influences, right, they paid them and they made fashion over blow up, right, because it's like if they're wearing it, if they're endorsing it, it means something.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: But the thing about fashion Ova that people don't realize is that they actually have an army of influencers. So Fashionova actually works with anywhere from three to five thousand influences, right, but a lot of them, most of them don't get paid. Most of them don't get paid. They get free merch That's how they get paid.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: Because if you think.
Speaker 3: About fashion Over, if you really look at Fashionova, they weren't with anybody like you might see somebody with ten thousand followers, another person with one hundred thousand followers, somebody were foxed out and they all through fashion Over like as it looks like an ad, right, Like I'm just having my fashion Ova jeans for what the it was that they made it. They made it like almost a privilege to promote their brand. Because once they had Courtney, Chloe Kardashian and Cardi B and everybody else wearing it, that was a list. Now everybody that's aspiring to be there wants to put on fashional and.
Speaker 5: To that credit.
Speaker 4: They their thing is like, hey, we'll make the celebrity look affordable. So they've taken that model, that model, and they've just expanded on it.
Speaker 5: Right, So they've gotten these influencers, they've made the clothes.
Speaker 4: That they like and to women and men, now will a tea will say like this, these clothes fit amazing well.
Speaker 3: And the thing about that is that so they make a thousand items a week, but they have an interesting model because they don't they use nine hundred different producers to make their clothes in La and China, So they have nine hundred different menu factorers in La and China making a thousand pieces a week for them. They put it out and it goes straight to Instagram. So it's constant new content and it's constant new product. So the turnover is crazy. But they actually have over three billion Instagram impressions every single month because like I said, they have three thousand of five thousand influencers that are promoting fashion ovah, even though most of them aren't getting paid. Because like I said, the most brilliant thing that they did was actually make it a privilege to promote their friends. You should be seen in our clothes exactly.
Speaker 5: Fashional. So we've seen influence get paid before.
Speaker 4: And one of the big stories of the past couple of weeks has been Fire Festival on Netflix. And for those who don't know what the Fire Festival documentary is about, it it's about a man, Billy McFarland and Jo Rule have an idea now on service to the idea makes a lot of sense. It's fire dot Com is supposed to be a site that bridges booking agencies and artists, right, so.
Speaker 5: No longer do you have to have the miliment.
Speaker 4: I think Billy in the documentary says he had to pay somebody to talk to Ja Rule. Didn't have to pay another guy to talk to Ja Rule. And so he said, you know what, rather than going this method, let's just cut the middle man out and let's create something where I can talk directly to the artists, have their schedule and say can I book you on a service?
Speaker 5: Great idea.
Speaker 4: I think it's a great idea to promote the site, they decide to create a festival, hence the title Fire Festival, which would which was supposed to be uh sort of like a Coachella, but on a deserted island an island that that he said he had owned in the Bahamas.
Speaker 3: So they wanted they want so they want to throw a music festival in the Bahamas to promote the app.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that's what that's what they want. That's what they wanted to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they figured so they were smart about it.
Speaker 4: They said, listen, rather, we'll get some marketing teams, but the biggest way to promote something now is through Instagram. Just like you said with a fashion over, the best way to do it, let's go through influencers. So they have ten supermodels, like Top of the Mine, supermodel Shanelli Monits one of them.
Speaker 5: Bella Indide was one of them.
Speaker 4: And they said, you know what, can you just put up this orange burnt square as the logo for what we're about to do? Right and every day at this time, can you put it up? And they do it and it gains traction. They hashtag at the fire festival, and then they do something really smart, right, they say, Hey, who's the most popular person at the time or one of the most popular persons or families at the time. Kardashians, and they reach out to Kendall Jenner and tell her, listen, we're going to give you two hundred fifty thousand dollars if you could just say you're coming to the Fire Festival to promote it.
Speaker 2: So they paid.
Speaker 3: They paid Kendle Jenner two hundred and fifty thousand dollars to put a post up. Just suppose I'm excited about Fire festival.
Speaker 4: Right right, she does it, and I mean, the tickets sell out within ten hours. They sell out so fast that they have to start making other accommodations like listen, I.
Speaker 5: Know you got the tickets for the festival. Here's the VIP passes.
Speaker 4: Then they'll sellout and they realize that they don't really have the money.
Speaker 5: To do this. Then they have to start coming up with other ideas. Now you got a.
Speaker 4: VIP bracelet, and it's a whole saga. It's an unfortunate story because the idea on the surface of the app was great.
Speaker 5: The execution of the festival horrible.
Speaker 4: A lot of people were devastated and affected by it, and it is a complete box. They ruined the entire thing, like people were showing up, they were sleeping in tense.
Speaker 5: It was terrible.
Speaker 4: And from that lawsuits start coming out, right, so they start trying to sue Billy McFarland rule is called in a lawsuit, and then Kendall Janner gets caught in a lawsuit, and that's when it becomes interesting because people were saying, Hey, we booked our tickets with the hopes that you were going to be there. That's the only reason we did it. So like, if he's guilty of something, so were you because you promoted it. And all the other supermodels who were part of it also get that lawsuit, and it sparked something that is really really evident, really key in the way that Instagram does things. Now from that we get the hashtag ad right, so she's not found guilty at the time of anythrowingdoing, but going forward, Instagram says, look, if you're going to promote something and you don't want to be held liable for it, you must tell us that this is an AD.
Speaker 3: I hold that us an add because the interesting thing with that is that so in twenty twelve, high an idea for a fashion blog. I was there, right, And the reason why I had the idea for the fashion blog is because I was following a fashion blog on Instagram, fashion page on Instagram, and I noticed that they were putting up ads without it actually making it seem like it was an AD. And I'm like, this is brilliant because what they were doing is that there was like a look book, so they will put like different looks up and then every like five posts they would have like let's say a woman would a dress and they were like, it would just be like a regular AD, and then they would say like where you can get.
Speaker 2: The dress from.
Speaker 3: Most people didn't really fully understand what was being done, but when I saw it, I saw I said, Okay, they're paying her to put this up and it's camouflaged as a regular post, but it's actually an AD, so that it sounds simple now because we're used to seeing that, but in twenty twelve that wasn't normal.
Speaker 4: I think after that then they started putting the little tags when you pushed the button on the dress, then it would tell you where to get it from.
Speaker 3: I think that came later later, so but that's what Kendall Jenner was and essentially that's what she did, right because she said, I'm so excited, I can't wait for Firefest. That's really an AD, but it's not really an AD right because it's like, okay to the people that's viewing it. They like, if she's saying she's excited, it has to be it got to be something. This has to be They don't know she got paid a quarter million dollars to say I'm so excited for this.
Speaker 2: So now the federal government changes the law.
Speaker 3: And this is why today you see either at the top of the post it says paid advertisement or in the actual caption it has hashtag AD because now you have to have full transparency and to say this is an AD because it was a very great life. If you see a commercial on TV, you know it's an AD, or if you see a print on you know it's an AD. But if you see somebody's Instagram Paige, you might not know it's an ADD or.
Speaker 5: Not right, So you get a bunch of things.
Speaker 4: It was the fire Festval, it was the herbal Teas, it was the waste trainers, like there.
Speaker 3: Was verbal te verbal t's and wayte trainers like game Changer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like those things were just popping up and it was like like, oh, okay, yeah, we knew that all along, but like now you have to say it. And then from that Facebook and Instagram, like wait, these regular everyday people are putting up ads. Now, we're gonna stop putting up ads in your posts. So like now when you go through your Instagram, there's ads everywhere. Every like every four posts is an ad, right, And that starts from Hey, if they're gonna do it, we're gonna make money too.
Speaker 2: But that's how they monitor, that's how they monetize the social media.
Speaker 4: Were gonna figure this out. We figured it out. People figured it out first. You're making money, no, no, we gotta make money too.
Speaker 3: So I think that was always the plan with social media to add because that's the only way you can really make money off of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I taught a class about that, where they're selling your attention. So you bring your attention to social media and based off of that is free. But nothing in this world is free. So you're paying for it with your time and they're selling your time to company.
Speaker 4: Valuable asset of your time you can't get but most that's the most like you can't get that back.
Speaker 3: All right, Okay, all right, So yeah, we touched on a couple of different things this episode.
Speaker 5: Final word, Yeah, final word.
Speaker 4: I just want to make it clear that even though that the government shut down has ended, it's only temporarily, like the President said, in three weeks.
Speaker 5: If he doesn't, there's no compromise. The government could be shut down again, So people.
Speaker 4: Should really take heed to that, and some of the things you said earlier obviously would definitely be beneficial. But there are a lot of things that are on the line if we get shut down again.
Speaker 2: Can't rely on the government.
Speaker 4: They could write so federal courts could run out of operating money to run the daily business. Food programs are in jeopardy of shutting down free lunch programs for schools. So there's a lot of things online if we get locked down again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So we'll ended with jay Z's line again. Just want that to sink in and anticipation for precipitation, stacked chips for a rainy day.
Speaker 2: It's important.
Speaker 3: It's important people, So once again, thank you for joint We will see you guys next week.
Speaker 2: Peace.
Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates. So you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than nonspo sponsor jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com, slash po d kat z thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash pod kat z thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need