Speaker 1: You're listening to I Choose Me with Jenny Garth. Hi, everyone, welcome to I Choose Me. This podcast is all about the choices we make and where they lead us. A. I feel like I am still just riding so high from our first ever I Choose Me Live event. The day was so awesome. It was filled with so many incredible conversations and now guess what, I Am going to share them with you here on the podcast, so it will be like you were there with us. Today, we're going to talk about our conversation on menopause, a topic none of us should be afraid to talk about. On this panel, we have the OSCAR nominated actress and author of Dare I Say It? Naomi Watts, author and producer of the documentary The M Factor Shredding the Silence on Menopause, Tamson Fidal, and President of the UCLA Health Faculty Practice Group, doctor Eve Glacier. But before we get into that incredible panel I Choose to talk about menopause, I want to thank some of our sponsors, Real Quick, UCLA Health, leaders in Exceptional Healthcare, and my lovely friend Laura Geller of none other than Laura Geller Beauty makers of a wide, gorgeous selection of makeup, cosmetics and beauty products.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Now let's dive into the panel.
Speaker 3: So our next panel.
Speaker 4: Is just another set of incredible powerhouse women. Truly, these women have not even paused for a moment in their go get them careers, because right now what they are doing is some incredible work all about menopause, to release the stigma surrounding menopause. And so, if you'll please help me, welcome our next panel. I choose to talk about menopause. So whoo yeah, right, I know we need this, we need this. So starting with the first one on our panel, Academy Award nominated actress, entrepreneur and author of the.
Speaker 3: Very new book and.
Speaker 4: You Gotta get It if you don't have It called Dare I say it? Everything I wish I'd known about menopause, Naomi Watts.
Speaker 5: Good, all right.
Speaker 4: And next the president of the UCLA Health Faculty Practice Group, Doctor E.
Speaker 6: Beaser O, thank you.
Speaker 2: Let me give you a hob.
Speaker 4: Incredible documentary The M Factor, Shredding the Silence on Menopause. Tamson Final Tamson, Who I Love beautiful? Welcome, Welcome, ladies, this is a conversation that is so necessary. I'm sad I have to listen to it backstage, but I will be there with all of you, and I can't wait.
Speaker 3: Thank you, ladies for joining us.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is it, This is the moment. Menopause is coming out, and so it's about time, right, we've lived in this sort of secrecy. My mom never talked about menopause to me. I don't think maybe you have the same experience. But now my kids just know what it is.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. They're ready for it. I mean not.
Speaker 1: Ready for it, but they know it's a part of life. We're all going to go through it, so why not talk about it? And you are using your platform in such a beautiful way. We've all loved you and your work in film, and you decided to write a book about menopause.
Speaker 2: Why hi, everyone?
Speaker 7: Basically because I was thirty six and trying to get pregnant. Didn't know why I wasn't, so I went to the doctor who took some blood work and then he said the blood results suggested that I was quote unquote close to menopause, so at thirty six years old, so I was obviously filled with panic, and fear, and I walked out of the office in pieces. And to your point about your mother never talking to you, I never really had in depth conversations with my mom, only that I did remember that at forty five she had gone through it. That she said that she was forty five and it was early and then expected, but I was still thirty six. So I was like, why didn't you tell me more about this? And she said, well, these were the conversations I never had with you because my mother never had them with me, And that just like flawed me. I was like, why when it's half the population that are going to go through this, why would it be an untouchable conversation? That makes no sense, But it just speaks to where society was at for so long. Women had to navigate it by themselves. They barely spoke to well their mothers, their friends, or even doctors. You just had to suck it up Grinn and Barrett, and that's just not great. I don't think I think women are done with that kind of suffering in silence.
Speaker 2: So done with it?
Speaker 1: Why do you think it is that now is the time for us to start talking about it?
Speaker 2: Doctor Eve Glacier, So happier here.
Speaker 3: I mean now should have been yesterday, as we all know. I mean, I think thanks to you know, amazing platforms, amazing forums as evidenced as the one today, Jenny giving voice, I mean, I think is really now what's fueling the moment. I think more than ever, I have patients, I have friends, and talking about it, raising awareness, basically contributing and making our own narrative is really a way of empowering ourselves. And I think we've waiting for this for a long time. This also has amazing ramifications for clinical research, for amazing books, for amazing documentaries, and it's a way that we can share stories and help each other. And I think there's a real emphasis on that in our community of women.
Speaker 2: It's Hamson, You've done something.
Speaker 1: You created the first ever documentary about menopause. What a trave laser guys, I mean, tell us why you decided to do that?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, we kept having the conversation among ourselves.
Speaker 6: That's what we continue to do.
Speaker 8: And I was a journalist for thirty years and the only thing I really knew how to do was tell stories. And I've listened to these stories over and over again from women that were suffering, doctors that were trying to get information out there, doctors that didn't know the information to.
Speaker 6: Get out there.
Speaker 8: And I thought, we got to start putting this together. And we set out to do that, and we got one refusal and rejection after another. There's no audios for it, nobody wanted to fund it.
Speaker 2: There's one audience for it.
Speaker 3: Only half the world.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and we said, well, we're going to do it ourselves. So we set out and we said, all right, we'll try, we'll put it up on YouTube and see what happens. And then PBS said, you know what, we're going to put it up and we're going to partner with you.
Speaker 6: And so that's where it started. But I have to say, it's.
Speaker 8: Really been the women that have taken this and made a movement, a grassroots movement. They've come into community centers and churches and theaters and homes to share it. So it's been pretty amazing thanks to them.
Speaker 1: Yes, doctor Eve, I'm so happy to have you here. I know there are a lot of fans of yours in the audience too. I heard you, what would you say? What are you finding most women medically are coming to you and asking you about I.
Speaker 3: Think, first and foremost women are coming in and they're saying that they feel lonely. And I'm sure that you found this in your own research in writing and making your documentary. Most of all, I'm seeing women wanting to feel reassured that what they're going through is normal, right, and that have been having that expectation. But at the same time, they want to be acknowledged that their experience is individual and singular and that it matters in terms of perimenopause and menopause. I'm getting a lot of questions, especially around weight gain and exercise during this time.
Speaker 1: Do you think that that I don't know, I feel like there's a whole resurgence of the feminine, divine energy, thank God, But do you think that the things that we sat I mean, I just had a conversation about menopause with my friend Gabrielle Cartis. I mean, you guys, are you sitting at lunch talking about menopause with your friends?
Speaker 7: Your girlfriends were talking about it all the time.
Speaker 3: Now, definitely.
Speaker 7: You know, it's amazing how once that door was opened up for a little crack, we all just bodged in and said, oh, but this is happening for me, is that happening for you?
Speaker 2: And it makes total sense.
Speaker 7: We have come together as women at every point in our lives. Our first kiss, our first period, the first time we had sex, the first time we thought about babies or marrying or you know, breastfeeding. All of these points we've needed to share how our experiences differ or how they can help each other. And this one was such a big.
Speaker 3: One as well.
Speaker 7: That was left off the chain of storytelling or story sharing and which makes no sense. So I think now it's been opened up, it's created and ease, and I think women are free to talk by unlocking that.
Speaker 2: You know, have you found that speech? H Janson?
Speaker 8: I was going to say that, I think it's become a new dinner party conversation.
Speaker 6: I don't know about you.
Speaker 8: Every time my husband goes Are you bringing it up all the time or are people bringing.
Speaker 6: It up to you?
Speaker 8: Why do we talk about this all the time when we talk to somebody. But I do think women feel to you point safer and scene and feel like, you know, that's that's what they want to talk about.
Speaker 6: Because they want to be able to share this with somebody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know why people haven't been talking about it. It's that kind of connection that we as women need since to feel united with one another. And in that unity we have the strength and the courage so third of our lives. Yeah, they have parties for us when we have you know, birthdays and baby showers and all the things, but nobody has.
Speaker 2: A party for us. I heard doctor Mary Claire say this too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we should have the menopost parties.
Speaker 2: I feel like that we should have our own menopause party.
Speaker 3: Well, in to Naomi's point too, I mean, we would never separate puberty right from being a woman, so why would we separate this experience of menopause. And I think that continuum of being a woman, you know, thinking about that in a much more holistic continuum of care way is really important. We should be celebrating it all along.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about research and access to funding.
Speaker 2: For that research.
Speaker 1: Things are starting to change, things are starting to go in the right direction. We have a long way to go, I know, but what are your thoughts on the research that's happening. What are the newest things that you've learned that you could share with us.
Speaker 8: You know, we definitely have a long way to go, and we have to make sure we keep talking about it and keep pushing forward. It's really essential and then nothing derails that.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 8: I always go to doctor Lisa Mosconi, the neuroscientists that we talked to, who has done tremendous, tremendous research in the area of women's brain health and dementia and menopause. So that's exciting to me. I think, you know where we need to be looking. We need to give women more answers. Two areas. One women that are survivors of breast cancer that are looking for other options out there and may not be able.
Speaker 6: To do hormone therapy.
Speaker 8: And then women's so they're not confused about hormone therapy because there was a well you should speak better to this, but there was a study in two thousand and two that left a lot of women feeling very very confused, and they don't know what to do, and they don't know who to believe, and we have to give them evidence of what we're all talking about every single day.
Speaker 3: We was what was that it was the National Institute of Health and it was a longitudinal women's study. What I would add is that it's also confusing for providers. I mean, I've had you know, I've grown up with most of my patients and the things that we were talking about in the late nineteen nineties to two thousand and two, and now it's evolved. But when you ask sort of what I think is the cornerstone of evolving, I think it's. What I'm happy to report is that we're coming from a place of much more humility. At least I can say that for UCLA and my colleagues, you know, Oliver, Los Angeles, a place of humility where we can say, wait, the research is evolving. What we now know. We're listening to patients, tell me what works for you, right, so you know what's an individual tailored treatment? Right? Do hormones work for you? Do non hormonal treatments work for you? It's almost like precision medicine.
Speaker 1: How do we feel about hormone replacement therapy at this point? I feel good about it.
Speaker 2: It works for me. I've been on it for over a decade.
Speaker 7: And I would just say, in continuing what you was saying, everyone should go to their doctor and be prepared with a list of your symptoms, questions, read up on it, be your own best advocate.
Speaker 2: Be the CEO of your body.
Speaker 7: You know better, bring in your medical history, your family's medical history, and you're entitled to have a full conversation about it. What is safe for you, and it's obviously always your choice, and if the symptoms are unbearable, you should look into treatment. Don't suffer just because you were told because of this study that it might cause harm.
Speaker 2: You know. I think you.
Speaker 7: Really just have to at least have your doctor look you in the eye and give you the options based on your history, your medical history.
Speaker 1: Right, and if they tell you it's not an option, go see a different doctor. No gatekeeping.
Speaker 6: That's night.
Speaker 3: I couldn't agree more. I mean, I really just want to say, it's not even just one conversation. You have to often advocate and fight for multiple conversations. You know, look into their eyes multiple times. It is okay to break up with your provider. I mean, that's a lot about choosing yourself. Put yourself first. I promise you that that person is not going home at night and is like, oh, Eve's not seeing me anymore. No, Like, it's all about you and you need to choose the right person for you, and that might change over time. So that person that might felt like they were a good partner. It's like any relationship, right, You then need to keep on choosing yourself. It's very dynamic, and your symptoms might change as well. I mean, perimenopause, menopause.
Speaker 6: It's it's tricky, long word.
Speaker 1: It's long word that there was such a two a stigma about talking about it, especially with you, Tampson, when you started noticing your symptoms and you were a broadcaster. What happened for you when you decided to leave that industry that you were in and make this your focus.
Speaker 8: You know, it was a decision that I made because I couldn't stop talking about it.
Speaker 6: I couldn't stop feeling that this was the right choice.
Speaker 8: I had a lot of people that say, you're going to ruing your career, Like, I don't know what you're doing right, jumping on social media talking about this. You're telling everyone your age essentially, And so I had I had some reservations.
Speaker 6: I was nervous about it at first.
Speaker 8: But then I realized the number of women that I was hearing from that were getting help and these raw and emotional stories, and I just couldn't stop. And so I feel really good about it. I feel like we're seeing women come together globally. I've met a community that I could never have imagined meeting and and I'm sharing with and that's made all the difference in the world. Like I understood community before, it's like I got some good friends. I never understood this definition community, definition of community.
Speaker 1: It's so much different now when we're talking about things that we were so scared to talk about before, and there's such a vulnerability there and that sense of connection. No matter how different we are or where we come from, we're all inevitably going to go through this, so we should better be talking about it.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: You shared a sweet story in your book, which is so great and by the way, I want you to know, I think if you haven't already discovered, it's in your gift bags.
Speaker 2: So that is so exciting.
Speaker 1: But you shared a story in there, and I think you talked about it on Drew Barrymore about Yeah, your first experience sharing your fears with your partner. Yeah, that's a frightening conversation.
Speaker 7: Yes, it's quite a detailed story that I'll say for the reader. You know the graphic pods, but yes, it was a moment where it was quite defining because it was met with such compassion and empathy. Because I something that I was fearing and holding on too. I managed to just own and you know, name it and share it with him and he was like, how can I help?
Speaker 2: And it just sort of speaks.
Speaker 7: To people want to know, they want to help, and they want to be in on the story that you're going through. So if you are flailing and feeling like you're losing your mind, you know, bring people, especially those who are close to you, into it, and they know how to behave When things are left to a mystery, they are going to be making it up and think, you know, it's other things, perhaps something that they're doing wrong or whatever. Yeah, this was a very sweet story and I.
Speaker 2: Ended up marrying this guy because of the joy.
Speaker 7: And he also made it possible because it confirmed that it is good to lean into your vulnerabilities and they do become your strengths and they are liberating when you you know.
Speaker 2: Unlock secrets. And yeah, I it was just.
Speaker 7: The story is it's a funny story of me having to slip away into the bathroom and take off my patch because I was afraid for estrogen. My estrogen patch which is surely not sexy.
Speaker 3: Well it's not.
Speaker 2: You can't really notice it except for.
Speaker 1: The gummy residue that it looks like all over your stomach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's horrible.
Speaker 7: So I just disappeared for too long and he was like.
Speaker 2: Are you okay? You're not in the mood.
Speaker 3: And I was like, well, I.
Speaker 7: Just I have Look, I have this thing on my body.
Speaker 2: It's my menopause patch.
Speaker 7: I'm getting treatment, but you know, I'm probably just should I just leave?
Speaker 10: You know?
Speaker 7: I was like, I'm sure he just thinks this is so not you know. Anyway, he was like, oh my god, I'm so glad you're getting treatment. This is you know, we're the same age, and how can I help?
Speaker 2: He sounds like a very sensitive aesthetic guy. I think there are.
Speaker 1: Probably a lot of men out there that don't know anything about menopause.
Speaker 2: And they need to learn about it.
Speaker 1: They need to be around women that are talking about it, because they're going to be with a woman that is in menopause at some point.
Speaker 2: What about Perry menopause?
Speaker 1: Because nobody was talking about that, and it's still a topic that people aren't talking about as much. I mean, it kind of gets lumped in with menopause. But perimenopause is this like slow creep and I mean creep into full blow menopause. It's it's like the on ramp or the off ramp. I guess, I don't know, but it is. Doctor Eve talk about the difference between perry menopause and menopause.
Speaker 3: Sure, so menopause just diagnosis. Definition just means so station i e. Stop of period for at least twelve months. Perimenopause refers to the transition leading up to that cessation. But as you know, we use those words and conflate them a lot, which is you know, completely fine for the sake of conversation. But now, as I was mentioning, like with puberty, we should be talking about perimenopause because I do think one of the big things that is so distressing is we start having symptoms. We wonder what's happening, is it normal? How long is it going to go on? And then you know, are there ways to mitigate? And I think if we're talking about perimenopause, getting ready for those transitions. So for example, as I mentioned, a lot of people are concerned about what foods they should be eating, what exercise.
Speaker 4: Well, let's shore up our forces right before we're in menopause.
Speaker 3: Let's start doing weight bearing exercise. Let's start making sure we're eating enough protein to maintain our muscle mass. So I think that it's all about that expectation and again filling that knowledge gap, because the more information that you have, and this is why I'm in such admiration of the two of you. It changes lives to have information because then you can make decisions for yourself, which is again choosing yourself, and that's power.
Speaker 2: What about hot flashes?
Speaker 11: Is there?
Speaker 2: What's the science behind that?
Speaker 3: The science behind is really we have this hypothalamus I love saying all these words out loud fun, which is the internal you know, regulator of your brain. And what esergen does is it kind of messes with that internal regulation and it tells your internal thermostat you're really hot, which then your brain then sends signals to your blood vessels, your spipe lands to cool off.
Speaker 2: So you're not really hot. Your brain just tells you you're hot.
Speaker 1: Trickery, huh, I feel hot like I believe it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one of the symptoms.
Speaker 1: What are some other symptoms that we can prepare ourself with because I know for like young girls, we don't really talk about or think about our periods.
Speaker 2: Until we get them right.
Speaker 1: So there's like I said that that slow creep the perimenopause, you don't know what's happening to you. You think maybe it's in your head. You think nobody else is having you. I mean, it could be a myriad of things that you're suffering from, because these symptoms are so sort of vague and all over the place, and we're really just learning so much about all of the symptoms.
Speaker 3: Well, what's confusing too is this is also occurring during a time where we're getting older, so some of our symptoms are actually they are not just map to menopause or hormones. They're also map to changes in our life and aging, and so it can be very confusing to discern you know, which symptom is which. So yes to your point, and go ahead, I'm going to crack a joke. Please.
Speaker 1: We like like when someone breathes too loud, all the loud breather.
Speaker 2: No, it is.
Speaker 7: It's a multitude of things, and the knowledge gap is absolutely right. I didn't know that migrains were menopause related. I didn't know that dry skin was menopause related. I also ticked on, you know, every medical form I had each time I started a new job.
Speaker 2: As actors, we have to do.
Speaker 7: That night sweats, night sweats, night sweat every single time for years, and it went completely you.
Speaker 2: Know, unnoticed.
Speaker 7: They were like, oh, are you allergic to something, or are you stressed or you know, use a fan? Yeah, just yeah, and it was no one connected the dots. So to your point about feeling like you're losing yourself, the perimenopause stage, I would say is the worst part. And then when you get to menopause, you feel yourself again. You feel like you're getting yourself back because things are stabilized because of these unpredictable shifts of hormones rising and falling.
Speaker 2: And that is a good moment.
Speaker 7: And I think that's when you're like, you really start sharing, the community strengthens around you, and you're more willing.
Speaker 2: To talk about it.
Speaker 7: It's the isolation, and half the soul is being able to talk, owning what it is that you're going through and getting help because I think it comes.
Speaker 1: You know, there's that age when we talked about it earlier, when you start to feel invisible or disregarded by society and then you have this roller coaster that's so kind of gray for a lot of us, and then it just further sends you into that sort of isolation and pulling away from learning more and communicating more and sharing more. So again, like what you women are doing to spread awareness using your platforms, that is vi to everybody succeeding in life, you know, And that is a new thing that's developed recently, and I just think it's so wonderful and if anybody doesn't like it, they can just go somewhere else.
Speaker 2: I love that part.
Speaker 8: I will also say this, I think that we as women have been afraid to age because of what society has done, so this also comes at that time. Some of the other symptoms like brain fog make you feel like you just like can't keep up, and I think that that causes a lot of fear. But to know that there are solutions, to know that you're not alone dealing with that, I think that that makes you feel not so isolated because it is that isolation and in fear of talking about it, I think that is really difficult.
Speaker 6: It was difficult for me to overcome.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about brain fog. I have it all the time, all the time. And for a long time I thought, Okay, I have a bad memory to begin with, so that maybe that's just what's happening. But then it was just so obvious. It's not my memory. It's literally my brain just goes flat. And I thought there was something wrong with me. I thought that maybe I was going to develop dementia. I thought I was like having early Alzheimer's or Halfheimer's as I like to call it.
Speaker 2: But what is the brain fog all about, doctor Eve?
Speaker 3: I mean, they're still researching this, but a lot of this is this amazing power of estrogen. And you know, Tamson and Nami please chime in, but a lot of it is the estrogen really affects the connectivity, you know, really the synapses talking to each other in the brain. It's very real. And you know, Nami, when you were just saying about once you kind of go through it and emerge. A lot of times people do notice that the brain fog has dissipated once menopause has set in, you know, so once the per menopause has completed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I felt so happy when my doctor told me I was in the menopause and not in the perimenopause, and I felt like, oh, thank god.
Speaker 2: That's over. You've arrived.
Speaker 1: It gets a lot better for anybody who's in perry. Go right in there to the menopause. You'll you'll be happy you did. And talk about it to your daughters. I mean, you have daughters. Who do you have You don't have children, right, but you have a three and you have a daughter and a son. Correct, what is the conversation like for you? Because I'm curious too with my three daughters, like.
Speaker 2: How how are you?
Speaker 7: I have a a little another little thing in the book. When I started planning the book, and I also created a company called Stripes.
Speaker 2: Beauty, which.
Speaker 7: Is about hydration from scalp to vent.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, we need hydration. Yes, we definitely need hydration. I'm wearing full Monty right now.
Speaker 2: By the way. Yes, you guys got to try Stripes. Yeah, this is amazing, so thank you. Yes. People love the fragrance.
Speaker 7: So they heard me speaking about menopause ad nauseum for years and I.
Speaker 2: Thought, oh, I wonder what they know? You know? And I say, I asked them both.
Speaker 7: One of them said, isn't it when old ladies die? I said, no, Okay, next, Oh, isn't it when you wet the bed, mummy, Because clearly I'd had a night sweat and you know, crept into bed and that was that was that.
Speaker 2: So it just goes to show you.
Speaker 7: And I started saying, well, this is why the conversation should come in the in the sex said in fifth grade or sixth grade, whenever it is. This is the beginning of a woman's hormonal journey. All these things can happen in between, and then this is the book end to that. But it's not the end. It's just a different chapter. From there on. We're in a nice other place that is very freeing, and it's quite yeah, liberating to not have your hormones driving decisions.
Speaker 1: I want to tell you you it's so true. I thought I got a handle on things. Perrymenopause came in with the emotional roller coaster, so that wasn't very fun.
Speaker 2: But I want to.
Speaker 1: Talk to you about the sex because what so the lobido drops during Perry or during full on menopause.
Speaker 2: Does it get better? Is it going to get better?
Speaker 3: I think everything is going to be messing for default to optimism, But yes, the libido does drop and libido drops for men as well, so irrespective of who your of who your partner is. You know, Tamson, you alluded to this too. I think just with aging, there's so many negative connotations about aging and competition, about sex right and being sexy. But this, to me, and anyway, this is I think what you're talking about is, you know, it's the lubrication, lubrication, lubrication, but also communication, communication, communication, So yes, things drop, but they drop and they change and they evolve. And again I think that's an ongoing conversation. But yes, you know, biologically the estrogen drops, testosterone drops, so that's definitely something we just see biologically with aging.
Speaker 7: Did you guys read that New York Times article women are having the best sex of course?
Speaker 1: Wait wait wait, women are having the best sex win at this stage.
Speaker 3: In their lives and they're fifty like backstage.
Speaker 7: How funny.
Speaker 2: So it gets better, It does get better.
Speaker 7: Yeah, to your point, educate, communicate, lubricate.
Speaker 3: Everything is, yes, possible.
Speaker 7: You just got to get organized, You got to get a handle on things.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And our children, our daughters, our sons, are they see us thriving? I mean you what are your daughters see they have to see you thriving.
Speaker 1: They I mean, I can't speak for them, but they are in awe of me, like because they, yeah, they saw me growing up as this girl on TV, you know, the it girl or whatever, and now they've seen me through all my ups and all my downs. They've seen me rise and fall. But they I've loved that they've gotten to see all those parts of me, even the parts that have been embarrassing and that I maybe wish I hadn't showed them, But I am so glad that I was very open and honest with them, so that they know what is in store for them and they know they can handle anything so important. Tamson, what do you do to stay feeling sexy during menopause?
Speaker 6: During menopause?
Speaker 8: You know, I didn't feel sexy during Perry, that's for sure. And I was just starting to date my now husband, so I had all those ups and downs and roller coasters and period they came out of nowhere and I'd like run into a bathroom, So I didn't feel very sexy.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 8: I feel like now I really do communicate and he's heard more than he ever wants to hear about menopause and everything in between but yeah, I'm really open and honest about it. I have, you know, incorporated things, and I think even surprise him sometimes.
Speaker 6: And you know, I when I.
Speaker 3: Take out loub He's like what what? Oh?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 8: So you know, I'm not shy about anything anymore. And I think I used to be. I think I used to communicate. I'd be like, you know what to do right, like you know, anybody, any partner. And I think now that I really do talk through it all. And I also think my sexy though, or in my head anyway, comes from feeling just more confident in who I am now during this time and knowing what I will tolerate and what I won't and what makes me really feel good about myself inside. And I don't know, I wake up every day right now really excited about the day and the message and what we're doing.
Speaker 6: So that kind of makes me feel sexy.
Speaker 2: You should have really excited.
Speaker 1: You should feel excited you're doing I'm going to be a part of it to it.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're doing a forum situation. Can you tell us about it because it's going to be amazing.
Speaker 8: Well, you're talking about a party, so I was till it's about a pause party. I wanted to do something to celebrate the women that came out for the documentary, and I know March is a women's month. So we're going to throw the world's Hottest Menopause Party on March first in Vegas. It's free, Vegas, very virtually free. Yeah, it's gonna be in Vegas and so but everyone can come in. And we want to make sure women around the world have access to the information for free, because I think that's just super super important.
Speaker 6: So that's what we're going to do March first.
Speaker 8: We're gonna have a lot of experts there, a lot of familiar faces there, and so I'm real excited about it. I wanted a women to be able to celebrate this time, not fear it. And everyone said, you're calling it a menopause party, and I said, yeah, it's kind of a party.
Speaker 6: I think.
Speaker 8: I think that's where we are now. We need to celebrate this time. So that's what that's what we're doing, Mars.
Speaker 1: Using all of your journalistic yes stabilities, because you're so fabulous.
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm super super excited.
Speaker 8: I We're going to have monitors all over the place that women can screen in and ask questions and get information, because I just think that's the only way we're going to get this word out there. And I hope, you know, we have young women coming in, and I hope they see their moms coming in. So yeah, I'm really excited about it. I'm excited about it.
Speaker 2: I mean too.
Speaker 1: I think it would be a great time to do a little Q and A if you guys are open to it. I hope that you all have questions, because I know I did and do Amy, Sugarman, I see you have a microphone.
Speaker 3: Is this the thing on?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 12: I have questions. First of all, all the ladies wearing blankets are not in menopause because it is.
Speaker 1: Well always Sometimes you're really hot and then instantly it changes.
Speaker 2: To your freezing.
Speaker 3: Not for me, okay, always hot.
Speaker 6: Who has a question?
Speaker 2: Don't be shy, don't be shy.
Speaker 12: What's your name?
Speaker 2: Hi, Nancy, I'm coming, I'm coming. I'm coming. Careful your foot, Amy.
Speaker 12: I know I broke my ankle, but I'm fine. Now, Nancy, where are you from?
Speaker 6: I'm Orange County? What is your question?
Speaker 5: So I'm wondering about the length of this lovely transition.
Speaker 2: I'm fifty five.
Speaker 5: I think I'm over the hump, but I still have the ragye moments, and so I'm just wondering about.
Speaker 6: Typically how long it is.
Speaker 2: I asked my mom.
Speaker 5: And my sister and they're like, oh, like seven years.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, dogt your eve.
Speaker 6: I mean, how long is this last?
Speaker 13: Start?
Speaker 3: But please chime in the perimenopause, which often begins with the regular periods, hot flashes, difficulties sleeping, you can see how it often overlaps with other things and other challenges in our life, but sometimes even five to seven years before the period actually stops. And you know, we don't have a lab test per se. It's really you know, your you go to your doctor and you say, I haven't had a period for twelve months without spotting, without any irregularity. So five to seven years.
Speaker 2: Ish, that's that's. Oh we have another question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, bunch down here.
Speaker 12: Lorraine's up there too, so we're going to take care of people up up above too. I'll do one right here and then we'll go to you, Lorraine.
Speaker 3: What's your name?
Speaker 14: Hi? My name is Julie and I'm from Denver. I'm also fifty five and I feel like I've been in perimenoposter about ten years but I'm also a breast cancer survivor, and just I've tried all of the Western medicine options and I cannot find anything the brain fog night sweats. It's just I don't know any suggestions other than estrogen because I can't do the past.
Speaker 1: I think that it's important to talk about it holistically. And sometimes when I think about the word holistically, I think it's just Eastern medicine. But you talk about the fact that it's embracing all the modalities.
Speaker 3: It is absolutely and again Naomi and Tamson should chime in. First of all, I'm sorry for everything you're going through, and I have. I just had a patient yesterday who's enduring the same thing, like really difficult symptoms and then doesn't have certain, you know, modalities available. Vioza, which is a neuro kind I don't know if you have tried that, but it's a NK three receptor receptor antagonist and it's just been FDA approved, so that that's non hormonal and it targets the thermoregulator center in the brain. That's a game changer for hot flashes. That's the newest one, I would say, And in terms of help in terms of help with that. I will say also, there's some work done at U C l A. It's uh, the brand name is Cleoatra, so that's not UCLA, but there is a brand where there is an estrogen that doesn't bind to the estrogen receptors in the breast, and so that is something that's coming to market very soon. So again getting the benefit of hormone you know, therapies, but without the risk to the breast tissue.
Speaker 12: Let's go up above, Lorraine.
Speaker 2: Who do you have.
Speaker 3: Jenny Landyline?
Speaker 2: Oh hi, Jenny.
Speaker 10: I am a coutume designer. I was lucky enough to dress Jenny on nine or two one zero. Thank you for this form.
Speaker 2: It's been so.
Speaker 10: Amazing today coming Oh my gosh, I'm so excited somebody with an IUD. An IUD changed my life with endometriosis. But now I feel like I'm having all the stuff going on and the period is or not having a period is not a signal. So what are your suggestions on I've asked doctors, They're like, oh, you're a full menopause, and then they gave me estrogen cream and then I had a full period and got all my cramps back. So maybe someone that's had experience with an IUD. The symptoms aren't because usually with an IUD you don't get your period.
Speaker 2: A lot of people don't get. So you're saying it's hard to tell. It's hard to tell.
Speaker 3: Am I just old and tired? Or is a brain fog?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 10: Am I just cramping because I got gas?
Speaker 6: Or is a brain you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like all the things.
Speaker 6: That go along.
Speaker 10: Well, you guys are saying the symptoms with an IUD. I think there's a lot of things you can't tell because it does stop the period for some people.
Speaker 2: I can't answer that.
Speaker 10: I don't know any medical because I've been to three to you often.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'll definitely take a try. I mean, it is so hard when there's so many variables, and I just want to kind of start with you know, you did mention holistic, and I did want to mention as well that what's so also hard about this perimenopause menopause time is that often and I'll get to your question too, is that right? We feel tired, we have difficulties sleeping, we have anxiety. This also coincides with times in our lives where our parents are sick where you know, we have career changes, relationship changes, you know, we're tired, So a lot of it can be conflated with the IUD. I don't know if you have a copper or plastic. You don't have to tell me now, but I would I would remove the variable. I think it's very very hard to sort of start you know, too many different things because then you're like, well, which one actually made the difference? So if you from here you look twenty five. But if you are paramenopasal, I would consider maybe taking out the IUD if you're actually bleeding through, because that shouldn't happen, and the creams shouldn't. Neoli and I were just talking. The creams shouldn't give you a full period either. Yes, yeah, so that sounds that does sound more like you know, perimenopause. And even with the IUD, it's it's really more of a mechanical barrier. So he has a tiny bit of progesterone sometimes, but you still might need you know, the hormone therapy as well, if if that's something that you're a candidate for.
Speaker 12: Definitely, who has a question down here?
Speaker 1: I love all these questions. You are so brave. This is what it's all about.
Speaker 9: Hi, I'm Lorena. Oh, I'm Lori enough from San Francisco. I'm a massage therapist, so going back to the holistic and I'm also do hr tea myself. It doesn't have to be one thing or the other. They can compliment each other. So that's really important to remember.
Speaker 2: Earlier today there.
Speaker 9: Was a talk about PCOS with one of the speakers. Do you have you seen any additional severity and symptoms for someone that already has PCOS and then going through the perimenopause stage.
Speaker 3: I have not. I don't know in your experience, you know, speaking so many women, I have, I have not.
Speaker 12: Actually, Loreene, what's happening up there?
Speaker 2: We have somebody with a really good question.
Speaker 12: Hi.
Speaker 15: My name is Jamie and I'm fifty nine years old and I'm from Santa Monica, California. My question is I didn't have when I went through menopause, I didn't have any symptoms, so I didn't find the need to start homer replacement.
Speaker 2: So now in my.
Speaker 15: Later fifties, is it too late to get any of the benefits of aging and the reduction of aging because I don't look twenty five. Would that help me. Now at this point in my life.
Speaker 7: I feel like this is a doctor about you.
Speaker 3: Try you can easily play one.
Speaker 1: I'm definitely yeah for that.
Speaker 3: It is not too late, but I really encourage you to have the conversation with your provider. It's not too late. But what you do bring up and I wouldn't mind opening up the conversation about this, which is is the aging aspect, so you know, the even the you know, we've even moved away from hormone replacement because we're really not replacing anything right, nothing is broken or failing right or faulty, but it's you know, it's hormone therapy. So yes, there could be some therapeutic benefits. Absolutely, so you might not might not have had so far right, really disruptive hot flashes, difficulties sleeping, but it could be that over time you do experience what we call the genito urinary syndrome of menopause. Used to be vaginal atrophy, but we're getting rid of that patriarchal language.
Speaker 2: I'm good, you.
Speaker 3: Don't shrink here, and so that's where for example, vaginal estrogen might help. And sometimes I would you know, suggest the conversation. Sometimes getting ahead of that you know, is it would be really beneficial because it's not just the plumpness of your vagina. There's also predisposition to urinary tract infections. The tissue of the vagina gets very, very fragile.
Speaker 7: And that's pretty safe for everyone, right, because it doesn't go through the bloodstream.
Speaker 3: That's right, I'll come over here.
Speaker 12: Did we talk about how the anxiety is a disaster during menopause?
Speaker 3: We should address that.
Speaker 12: I think, yeah, I think Jenny knew I was having it just by looking at me, like, did.
Speaker 6: That happen to all of you?
Speaker 2: Yes? Hard, yes, yes.
Speaker 7: And I think for me it was born out of disrupted sleep. For me, if I couldn't get my sleep under control, it was basically a non starter. I had to I have to have sleep, I can't work, and you know, like remember dialogue or you know, there's all kinds of things that it can lead to. Anxiety, lack of confidence, memory blips, depression, mood swings. You know, if you don't sleep right that, yeah, it's just going to lead to too many things. So certainly for me that's a gare again where HRT helped me. The progesterone calms me down at night. I also do other things holistically speaking, just in lifestyle things. I exercise as much as I can. I eat healthily. I do a wine down at the end of the night. I take a bath if I can, you know, just to bring down the anxiety.
Speaker 2: Not eat too late, not drink too late.
Speaker 7: I try not to drink too often, but I do love a cocktail now and again. So those sort of things adjusting your lifestyle that will help support your sleep, which is going to help quality of life.
Speaker 2: Thank you that was for me.
Speaker 11: No, thank you, thank you for doing your show thing here today and ask you. Thank you ladies for showing up. Oh and thank you Ryan for taking me.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, so this is her acceptance speech.
Speaker 16: I love.
Speaker 11: I just vitamins or pills. I don't know what they're supposed to be called. I'm summer. And I did asked about hormone replacement thing because I had menopause. I don't know for how many years, I don't remember, but I was gonna ask Miss Watts about that and also doctor E. E. Glazer, and I wanted to ask about They didn't tell me about the patch.
Speaker 2: My husband told me you.
Speaker 11: Should ask for the past because he watches a lot of YouTube.
Speaker 3: So then I was like, Okay, I will ask.
Speaker 11: For the pats because I just got the pills yesterday. So I didn't know that you could do something with the menopause. And that's my question, Like, how do I know? And talk to the doctor because doctor, long story short, the doctor said tried to get me not to take.
Speaker 2: Anything at all. Female doctor.
Speaker 11: Sorry anyways, but you know that was like crazy for me to think, like, Okay, you want cancer, you want a heart attack, you wants stroke. I'm like, well, those don't sound really nice to me, but I have to try. I have to try and can moderate and blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 8: I'm yeah, but is your question that your doctor won't prescribe it to you.
Speaker 2: She just got the pill.
Speaker 12: She's just just got a pill.
Speaker 2: But it sounds like she was dissuaded. Oh got it from trying.
Speaker 6: You know, you should address the hormone therapy.
Speaker 8: But I think that you know, this is what we were talking about when we said that two thousand and two study that there are still a lot of doctors that aren't educated about it. Some of the doctors get a week a month of training in medical school, so when a doctor gave you those kind of answers like you're going to have a stroke or heart attack. There they're using what they believe was evidence of that study, which has been you know, been shown not to be the case. So I'm glad that you're someplace now with a doctor that's listening to you. And kudos to your husband, because men need to be part of this conversation for sure.
Speaker 2: So that's a good point.
Speaker 6: That's amazing that he did that.
Speaker 3: Oh well, that's even better.
Speaker 12: Hey, do more too, More, Lorraine, what do you have up there?
Speaker 2: Make it good?
Speaker 3: Make it good, ladies.
Speaker 15: Okay, so we have Madeline up here with a really good question about supporting Hello.
Speaker 16: Hey, Jenny, you look better than the ten You look like you lost ten years since the ten years ago I saw you last.
Speaker 3: I'm wondering how.
Speaker 16: We can best support our moms and the wiser women of the world, as the younger generations as they're going through this transition that is clearly so powerful and important in our one.
Speaker 1: That's a good question. I don't think I was very supportive with my mom. I was like, I shut it down. I didn't want to hear about it. I didn't want to know about it, I'd be like, Okay, bye. But I think my girls, I think there's so much more open to They know that it takes a village and that we're all in this together, and they know that my future is their future, and so there's such a different level of compassion and empathy I think with this younger generation, at least for my experience. And I'm so grateful for that because I don't want to suffer in silence. I don't want to feel alone in this journey, and I want to, you know, be an example for them, even through menopause.
Speaker 12: Okay, this is I've been told this is a really good one.
Speaker 3: Make it juicy, it's the contact.
Speaker 2: Get sexy.
Speaker 3: Make it sexy.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Hi, So my question is this. Listen.
Speaker 13: I've got estradel on my face, in my vagina, I've got a patch, I've got pagesterone, I've got testosterone cream, I've got thy worid.
Speaker 3: How I'm fifty seven.
Speaker 2: How long do you have to be on this forever? That's a good question I want to know too.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a lot of stuff.
Speaker 7: I've got my obgyn in New York it's seventy and she's still on it, still on it, and she's yeah, strongly an advocate of it if it's safe for you.
Speaker 13: Is it strongly still based on our blood work anymore? Or is it just we just have to keep doing it because your body's used to it.
Speaker 3: What was the last part of the question.
Speaker 13: Or is it because our bodies now reliant a little bit on the.
Speaker 3: It's it's not like it's it's reliant, but it's it's not there. So you are infusing it with with a certain amount of estrogen, progesterone, testosterone. That everything you mentioned, I agree with, Naomi. I think that And again there could be something geographic. I really want to acknowledge that, you know, I think being you know, by coastal, being in Los Angeles, I mean, I like to think that, you know, the institutions, at least that I'm familiar with, are are much more embracing and trying to stay more up to date. But I see Objian's constantly reassessing the North American menopause society, looking at guidelines every day, you know, basically tight trading to symptoms. Right, So in your I mean that's why I would say, don't just go on something and just stay on it for fifteen years, have a constant assessment, constant conversation, acknowledge that you're changing, your body's changing, and then you know, make little adjustments as necessary. Yeah.
Speaker 13: I just wasn't sure if, like, when you got to postmenopause, could you ease up or not?
Speaker 3: Sometimes you do, but sometimes I've had patients who are on a certain dose they go down and then all of a sudden they have hot flashes, you know. Again, So it's it's a little bit of a of a give and take.
Speaker 1: Friends.
Speaker 8: I was just going to say, I'm perimenopause's oh thank you. I was going to say, a perimenopause is not that test because your hormones are fluctuating. But if you're on testosterone, blood tests would be something smart, right.
Speaker 3: Just depending on which way you're giving, you're getting it.
Speaker 1: Yep, we have time for one one more, one last question.
Speaker 2: They're so good, take it.
Speaker 6: Good, make it juicy?
Speaker 12: Can we have to do dirty stuff when we're eighty?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: Can you do that?
Speaker 17: Hi?
Speaker 2: My question is for the doctor.
Speaker 17: I'm Chrystelle and i am sixty five, so I'm way past that. But I've had a breast cancer scare already and they just said it's progesterin and estrogen fed, so replacements were out of the question. And I'm not I'm okay. I mean there's sleep disruption part of its work related. But what other options? You said there is something that's.
Speaker 3: Right, well, depending I mean depending on your symptoms. So this is to me where having the conversation and I really want to, you know, put a pitch in for finding that trusted provider. And they come in lots of different forms, so whether they're your osteopath, your nurse, your doctor, your therapist. But I do think that having that conversation because there are other options. I mean there's you know, amazing topicals, right and you have amazing you know, products on that you've developed. I think there's and I would talk to perhaps other patients friends who are in the same boat. But for example, if you're not having terrible hot flashes, you might not need estrogen, right, So I think it's really about what's bothering you, And then it's like we could we do that risk benefit calculus with you and then and then decide what's what's best. Do you even need anything or or not, you know, and what's what's best for you. And I think that's a big point of this is that it's again universal and we're lucky to go through it, we're lucky to be here to talk about it. But it's also incredibly singular. You know what what you go through as well, so you have to find what works for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, I think it's just so important to never make a decision in crisis mode. So much like with the wildfires, when you see the fire raiging towards your home, have a plan in place. Same thing with menopause. Have a plan in place. Because it's coming, there's no denying it, and we want to be ready for it.
Speaker 2: So I think that it's.
Speaker 1: From listening to brave women like you and such great education from doctor Eve, that we can all prepare ourselves a little bit better and know how to take care of ourselves and to choose ourselves in the future or present. And I just want to thank you all three of you for being here. You're inspirational. What you've done for the conversation is I don't have words for how grateful I am for you to bring this to all of us and to my children, my daughters.
Speaker 2: So thank you for being here, thank you, thank you, thank you for having us. Really, let's give it up.
Speaker 3: Let's give it up for our marvel
Speaker 4: At menopause, Mavens, and thank you, Tamson Nailmi, doctor Glazer,