Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: All right before Dave wanstat Uncle Dave, my favorite coach, Bears, Dolphins, Big Ten Network stops by. I want you to download the game Time app. Ninety seconds Game Time App, Check it out. It is an authorized ticket marketplace for Major League Baseball. Podres through a no hitter today, Here come the pennant races. Are the Yankees going to turn it around? Are the Dodgers gonna get healthy? Can the Orioles keep it up? Prices on the Game Time app go down the closer you get to the opening pitch. Plus baseball. A lot of times with baseball, I'll schedule a football game, but with the game Time app. In Baseball a lot of times, it's like you call a buddy in the afternoon. You want to go boom, you drive of the stadium. Closer you get to game time, first pitch, prices come down. Put in the code Colin. Once you download the app, col I n twenty dollars off your first purchase. Take the guesswork out of buying baseball tickets MLB tickets with a.
Speaker 1: Game Time app.
Speaker 2: Download Game Time Today, Last minute tickets. Low it price is guaranteed. The coade is Colin, all right, he's my buddy. He's connected. He's in Chicago. The former Bears coach who's at practice regularly does the Big Ten. Former Miami Dolphin coach Dave Wanstatt. I want to start with college football because it's a twelve team playoff this year. I think the three best teams in my opinion in the conference are Oregon, Ohio State, and Penn State. But I have something I want to throw to you, because you've coached successfully at the college level. If you're a warm weather Pac twelve school, USC UCLA, what is the adjustment now? Oregon and Washington coach, they play in crappy weather all the time. I mean, I mean mid Nov. I mean early November. It's rain and sheet rain in Seattle and Eugene. Would you recruit differently if you were an SC or A UCLA going into this conference or is that overblown?
Speaker 1: No? I think happening right now. You know, I talked a lot with Jim Harbor. Obviously he played for me when I was at the Bears and before he left Michigan. I mean, he felt like they were trying to become more of a national recruiting school. Everybody is now, particularly with the transfer portal. I think the transfer portal Colin has really taken college players from coast to coast because they're all looking for an opportunity to play. So what I recruit differently, No, I don't think these schools have to, except, you know, now all of a sudden, USC. And when I coached at USC, I was the national recruiter. I recruited kids out of Washington, d C. I recruited kids out of Dallas, Texas at that time to come to USC. So they'll do the same. That won't change in Ohio State. They go where they want. So does Michigan, so does Penna State. I don't see it being a big, big difference maker for the major schools. You know, all they can really sell is because everybody's on TV now. Anyway. That used to be the South. When I was at USC, we would say, you come to our place, even though you're in Dallas, Texas. We're going to be on national TV four or five times a year. Your parents will see you play, your high school coaches and so and forth. That's not the case now. Everybody's pretty much on every week.
Speaker 2: You know, I said this the other day, is I think Ohio State and Oregon maybe along with Texas, the three most talented teams in the country, and Ohio State's in a weird space. So they've been outplayed by Michigan the last three years. And really, coach, you always have sayings like you can you can lose games, you can't lose the locker room. My knock on Ohio State has been they've collected talent. A little bit of my criticism of Steve sarkeishen in his career. He's a great talent collector. Harbaugh's a culture builder. That's the difference. Harball built a culture and they use that physical culture to beat Ohio State three in a row. Is it a fair criticism to say with Ryan Day a very young coach, he collects talent. But I don't know exact Dave. I don't know exactly what the hell they are. They can be a finesse team, they just had a their starting quarterback transfer. They're pretty, they can play track football, but I've watched them over the last several years get pushed around in some big games. What, in your opinion, what is Ohio State football beyond stacked and talented.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, that's a great analogy. I mean, they do a great job of recruiting. Ryan Day, I think is a better coach than people give him credit for. I think, you know, and I remember talking to Jim Harball about this, and I'm referencing Jim because when this nil came in, Jim he had a tough time swallow because he was under the thing, we're gonna you're gonna come to Michigan and you're gonna play football at Michigan, and you're gonna get an education at Michigan, and yes, we are going to get you ready for the NFL. So that's the culture I think you're referring to. You're right at Ohio State. God, they get great players, but everything is how quick? How quick can I be a number one draft pick? And how quick can I get to the NFL? And when that's your mentality as a football team, you know, there's that inner thing of the connecting with the players. And I'm not saying it's missing at Ohio State. I'm a fan of Ryan Days, but you know, there's just not that fuel maybe for the school. If you're playing there, then what there is if you're playing at Michigan, you know, and you know if you know it is Dave.
Speaker 2: Michigan football feels like villaan Nova. Ohio State football feels like Kentucky basketball. With Calipari, it's it's become a glamour program.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, how fast can you? You know? And I hear the recruiting stories from these guys. How quick can you make me a number one draft pick? And how quick can I get out of here and go to the NFL? You know that's I mean the players that think about the players that came back last year. Blake Koran could have left. There were four j j there were four or five big time players at Michigan, the contributors that they're winning a national championship that could have left but came back because it was important to him and they wanted to finish playing. You know, that's unique. Nick Saban had that happen to him at Alabama. He had a lot of good players come back because they had that feel for Alabama and there was a sense of pride there, which it's tough to put into words, but it does definitely mean something. And I think that Ohio State to some degree has struggled with that, and you know, and obviously not beating Michigan donet help.
Speaker 2: Speaking of horrorball, he takes over the Chargers the NFL. I don't know if you've noticed this, but listen with their schedule. I think they do. You know if they've put Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers all over TV in the first six weeks, short week night games, which, as you know, is inconvenient coaching staffs, families and players. You guys don't want that, but it's the downside to having a star quarterback. You're gonna play on Sunday night, Thursday's, Monday night. It's a pain in the ass. So if you look at the Chargers, because they weren't great last year, they haven't given them a lot of TV games, But Dave that's first six weeks has a lot of rookie quarterbacks, the weakest teams on their schedule. It's as if they wanted Jim to pop that they gave him like and it's funny because I watched Jim. One of the things he's done and is the last two jobs San Francisco and Michigan. He didn't change the personnel much, but he changed the culture and the winning. What is his secret? Sauce and Parcels had this to do it instantly. A lot of guys, even Saban took like two years to get it right. Three years. Shit, Harbaugh does it in eight weeks. What's the sauce on that? How do you do that?
Speaker 1: Well? You know, he put together a staff. You know they're at San Diego. I'm sorry at the Chargers, LHR that similar to what he did when he first went to Michigan, a lot of guys that he didn't have to coach the coaches. I mean, he brought Jesse Minter with him, the defensive coordinator, And I'll be real curious to see how that works out there with the Chargers, because do they have talent with Bosa and Mack and Derwin James. I mean, they got star players at all levels, So they got a talented team. And he kind of had the same thing at Michigan. He did have talent there, and he surrounded himself with coaches where he doesn't have to spend time. And I've been us practices coaching as I say, coaching the coaches. You know, those guys come in there all bought in and the culture, and we experienced a lot similar We went to Dallas to Dallas Cowboys with Jimmy. Jimmy hired I think three guys from the outside. It was our entire defensive staff we went so we didn't have to waste time with saying what are we going to do when a guy jumps off side? Are we gonna run? A laugh? But we're gonna do updowns? Are we gonna yell? We're gonna repeat the We knew what we were gonna do. And and I really think that you can close the gap so much quicker with the football team when you have a staff and the guys around you that have been through it and won. And that's what Jim put together. I mean, he's he's got whether it's offensive coordinator, I mentioned Minter, the defensive coordinator. He's got guys with them, their linebacker he drafted his lot All American linebacker in Michigan. He gets Gus Edwards back with them. So he's got a group of guys in there that player wise and coaching wise, there's not going to be a whole lot of screaming and trying to explain what he's trying to get done. He's been there and done that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have a good relationship with Jim Harble. I know he respects that. You you know, you're you are very much defense physicality. When you and Jim Harball have discussions, what are they about? What are they like?
Speaker 1: Oh? God, if you remember I did his first game. We did it out at Utah when the first game he had at Michigan, and he I went up there an interview I think for Fox, and I was the first guy that he would do a public interview with. And we just talked those stories and we laughed about some of the crazy stuff that when he was at the Bears. And I always told him I thought he could play linebacker because he had that aggressive, you know, ninety mile hour attitude, and you know he would want to get into a football talk. You know, he talked about him getting his hair cut at the same barbershop that Beau Shambreaker did, him driving to work the same route that Bow used to drive. So he was into Michigan. And obviously I think he's slept in those khakis, in the clothes that they wore. I mean, you know, he truly, he truly was all in it. But I think when you talk to Jim, he's very sincere and he's very honest. Uh, And I think he's what he says is what he means, and he's not gonna he's gonna wear it on a sleeve. You know, he's not gonna be one of those guys where you walk out of a meeting with him and you say, bo, I wonder if Jim really means what he said when he when he feels something, he's gonna tell you.
Speaker 2: So you coach the Miami Dolphins and you still do radio hits down there, you know the culture. So there's a difference between a holdout and a quarterback holdout. Jordan Love in Green Bay, very young quarterback with young receivers. Two is not as young. He's been in the system now he started. How disruptive is it in your career a holdout to an elite player, especially an offensive player. Does it screw up the coaching meetings? Does it screw up momentum? The vibe? What do you make of Miami situation? Because they like the quarterback, but they may be ten million a year off, right and rightfully?
Speaker 1: So, I mean he's you know, I look at that situation and I say, number one, he has had injury problems in addition to the concussion thing. So that's that's a fact. You can't hide from that. But in the same token, the guy wins for you, and he's a great team guy, and you can't hide from that either. And speaking of Miami, I remember every year when we brought Dan Marino joined as a frontal office person, when mister Isazanda, the owner higher to him. Dan came to the combine with us and we were sitting there and the conversation was always we had to replace Jay Fiedler. We had to get better in Jay Fiedler. Okay, because at that time Indy was in our in our conference, we played Peyton Manning twice a year and we played Tom Brady twice a year, And how are we going to get better? He said, yeah. And so Dan, we're sitting there and he says, you know, let's talk. We talk about these quarterbacks. And I handed him a piece of paper. I said, here, and this is kind of what I would tell him now. I hope he does the same damn thing. He's working down there, now is he do with me? And he hit him and I hand him this paper. I said, here, who do you want? And he looked at it and he turned it over and looked at the Bank, and I said, damn, Peyton Manning's not going to be on there. You know, we can get rid of jap, we can get rid of Jay Fiedler tonight. But show me who were going to bring in that's going to fit in better, is gonna, you know, win more games for us. We're winning ten games a year. Tell me who's going to do that for you? So I think that's for Miami's that a little bit is that they're they're gonna have to overpay. I mean, no different than with Dallas is in there right now. I mean these quarterbacks they got these teams because otherwise you are starting over, and you start over in Miami, goodbye Derek. You can just start checking the players, you know, Tyreek Hill, start checking the players off that won't be playing at a high level by the time you can get another quarterback ready to go, and the coaches will be fired and who knows about the GM. I mean, it's a total turn up, side down of a program. If you get rid of a quarterback that's one for you, you know, like a t or In my opinion, I'm jumping ahead a little bit with Dallas, but just like Dak Prescott, I guarantee you they're going through the same issues right there.
Speaker 2: Well, Dallas is weird because they've really backed themselves into a corner, Dave that you know, Jerry, more than any owner, pays the people he drafts, and that's great, but it's almost a need to validate his draft picks. I mean, Brett Veach is an excellent drafter. He's had no problem paying Joe Tooney going out and paying other Juju Smith Schuster. They'll go buy people all the time. And my take on Dallas is they've backed themselves into a corner that basically, outside of Ceedee Lamb, Dave, shit, he twists an ankle, that's the weakest receiving room in the league. And I'd argue it's the weakest running back room in the league. So they're really trapped on Ceedee Lamb. And I'm gonna throw this at you. Jerry's eighty one and he's gonna live another ten years, I'm sure. And I said to myself, I have this feeling that Jerry has said this. I'm not signing up for four more years of Dak unless Dak can prove to me he can win without the best line in the league, without Zeke in his prime and without all these receivers we furnish him with. And it's not as though he's sabotaging him. He's not sabotaging Dak. But what he's saying is because they only drafted one receiver and it was an area of need, then he drafted one. And my take is Jerry's saying, for this year, i may take us out of Super Bowl contention, but I'm gonna make Dak prove to me before I give him sixty million a year that he can lead us and not be led by others. Does that sound like something Jerry would do for a year.
Speaker 1: No, it dous. I'm going to have to disagree with you here. I think that Jerry. I think Jerry's looking at this thing and telling himself that if he gets rid of Dak. And he really came out and Mike McCarthy is a friend, he's a Pittsburgh guy, but it was almost feeling that everybody that I'm talking to said, Okay, Jerry's gonna give him enough rope to hang himself, you know. And but we're so we're really not gonna not gonna do much to help your cause. Okay, we were a game away or you know, two or whatever you want to call it the last couple of years, but we haven't been able to get to the big dance. That's the goal. You're either going to do it or I'm going to get somebody else. So I think that that is real obvious to everybody. But here's the problem. So you you go ahead, get rid of the coach and don't sign back, and he leaves. Who you're gonna bring in. You're gonna you're gonna take a chance on another head coach. And now you're starting to develop culture over again. And uh, you know, all of a sudden, your your lawrence to Martin on defense is ten years in the league, Zach Martin on offense. Your other leader is two years in the league. Those guys, their careers are over. So now all of a sudden, you're you got Zeke Elliott. God bless Zeke. I love Zeke, But that's your running game. I don't care. I mean, that's not you. That's not going to give you a lot of exciting. You're gonna have a problem closing out games this year. You know, you get that lead, and you know, throw the ball to score points, run the ball to win games. Now we have a five point lead and we need two first downs and they can't get it. I see that coming on the horizon, and it's not gonna have a damn thing to do with Dak. Uh. You know, I think you gotta sign Dak. And if you make a change, if the coaching thing doesn't walk on and you got to add some players, at least you got a quarterback Jerry that in your mind you believe in. I think he does believe in Dak, and you have an opportunity to move forward and have a chance to make a run at it. You start over with a new quarterback. Uh, it was a Cooper Russer. You know, whoever you know draft, try to draft a guide. I think you are setting yourself back and the cappit if they don't sign Deck. Someone told me they're going to be like sixty to eighty million dollars of dead money next year. So you're not gonna have a lot of free agent money a year from that. And you didn't have any this year, didn't have any of this year.
Speaker 2: So it's twenty twenty four, and let's talk about something really really important. If you're ever injured, check out Morgan and Morgan's America's largest injury law firm, and they're there for you. Over one hundred offices nationwide. Think about that, more than a thousand lawyers with over twenty billion. That's a B twenty billion dollars recovered for over five hundred thousand clients. Things happen in life unexpectedly. Submitting an injury claim with Morgan and Morgan is really really easy. Like winning in the NFL is hard. We know that quarterbacking in the NFL is hard, submitting a claim is easy. You're ever injured, check out Morgan and Morgan. Their fee is free unless they win. For more information, go to for thepeople dot com slash Colin Ordle pound law from your cell phone. Pretty easy. That's for the people dot com slash Colin or pound law pound five to nine from your cell Morgan and Morgan has a proven track record of fighting for you to get a full and fair compensation if there's an unexpected accident in your life. This is a paid advertisement. So what are you hearing about? Caleb Williams, Oh, I uh, you know what, I hear a lot.
Speaker 1: Everything is positive. I you know, I would just say this that the Bear's fortune this year is not going to be determined by Caleb Williams. That's this is my opinion only. I think it's going to be determined by that offensive line and the defensive line. I think how that is going to be the determining factor if they go playoffs, if they don't go playoffs, I think Caleb Williams is going to play very good, very good. If Shane Waldron, let's let's not let's talk about what are we gonna do with this kid, Shane Waldron. And the only reason I have some hope is that Shane Waldron was on the staff obviously with Bill Belichick in New England. He was on the staff with Pete Carroll, two defensive guys that have an appreciation for running the football. Okay, So with that being said, the mistake that and I keep pondering here on my radio shows and TV shows, Well, guys, we've got to keep this in perspective. We've got to be smart with what we do with Caleb Williams. We're gonna have a defense that's gonna give him the football. We got a chance that we're going to a top ten defense. We are gonna give him the football. In ample field position and opportunities. He doesn't have to be everybody's talking about. And we have great receivers. You know, when you go DJ Moore and you go Keenan Allen and you throw in Doonzay, I mean command a tight end. We've got outstanding receivers as good as to anybody arguably. But that, to me, that's not going to be the factor with Tayleb Williams. It's gonna be what are we going to ask this kid to do? You know, we've got to be balanced. No one in Chicago wants to hear me say the word balanced. They panic, you know, they think it's my offense of trying to run it fifty times a game. Okay, No, I'm talking about being balanced. They got you know, DeAndre Swift in the backfield. They got some real skill. But Caleb Williams shouldn't have to be the guy as a rookie to determine how far this team goes. You know, let's put in a nice offensive system because he does. And I'll tell you this, this kid makes good quick decisions. He doesn't throw interceptions. He never did in callege. Do you know all the college stats when at USC seventy some touchdowns and ten interception seven to one touchdown, the interception outstanding. Here's what he's going to have to do. At USC, he saw a three man rush between twenty and thirty percent of the time. By that rush, three drop eight And what did he run for when we used to run that coverage? Okay, we were always scared to death at the quarterback. Everybody's dropping out of there. He just going to take that ball and run up in here and run for the first time. But Caleb Williams is not that guy. Does he have athletic building? Yes? What did he average rushing in colleage? About a yard and a half a carry. You think back to the USC days. How many great long scrambles did he have. That's not his game. Here's what he's gonna have to do in the NFL. He's gonna have to buy into throwing to the tight ends and the running backs. Get the ball out quick because he's going to see a pass rush like he's never seen in his life, never seen in his life. And the fault that he did at you at USC, twenty third percent of the time they're dropping back eight and he's moving around. He's avoiding the rush, but he's trying to get the big play. He would not throw the ball underneath. As a result, sacks fumbles, that's what happens. So to me, what does Ttle Williams have to do to be successful. He's just going to make sure that he takes with Take the money. Well, he used to say, take what the defense gives you. If they want to drop in coverage, they're tempting you to throw it deep, you just throw it underneath. Take the money. We got players. Keenan Allen's a great little option guy underneath DeAndre Swift. Get these guys the ball and let him go. That's what he has to learn. And Shane Walter, in my opinion, I can't wait to see when they start unfold this offense because I'll tell you what I was with two quarterbacks. I was at Chicago when Brett Farb started Okay, and his offensive coordinator and head coach was Mike hongerm Mike was an offensive guy. We all know, offensive coordinator for the forty nine ers. You know Bill Walsh, on and on Joe Montana. I was also at the Miami Dolphins when Tom Brady started as a rookie. So I've got two visions of competing against guys twice a year. One great defensive coach In Belichick, rookie quarterback. One great offensive coach Mike Poingram Bret Farb. Guess what both of them they were. It was run the ball a ton of screens Mike Holingram Belichick. They were running tight end screens, full back screens, tailback screens. And why were they doing that. They were gaining confidence with this young kid and just bringing them along. And they were playing great defense both teams, okay, and when they had opportunities with their playmakers to make plays, they did. But I think Brady and farmed gay confidence as they went through the process. And I just hope that we do this with Caleb. I hope we don't get into, Oh, we got great receivers of talent, let's let them drop back and let it fly. That would be a mistake for this football team, and it would be a mistake I think for this kid. Let's just take it one step at a time. We got enough talent and other areas to help this kid out the.
Speaker 2: You know it's I'm gonna throw this story at you. I thought it was really interesting and you know, inside a locker room, and there is something about the quarterback position. Howie Long says, you can't have two star quarterbacks in the same room. Each one sucks the oxygen out of the room. So Russell Wilson has never been popular inside of his locker rooms. I mean we know that now coaches players. Fields to the very end in Chicago was loved by his teammates. So Mike Tomlin has a dance to play that Fields is bigger, more athletic, in a better arm, but is viewed as the backup. Russell will get the starting nod, but he's a bit inauthentic and not as light in a locker room, and at this point in his career not as dynamic athletically as Fields is. And so it's going to be a weird balance where you don't want the locker room picking sides, but everybody loves justin you know it practice shit.
Speaker 1: I bet he looks great.
Speaker 2: I mean he's six ' four, moves well, big arm, and I wonder what Tomlin you know Pittsburgh. Well, it is a weird dynamic. If the players actually you know, he's young, he's not rich. The young guys will go out with Justin. They're not going to go out with Ciara and Russ in there. That's not what's going to happen. And I think to myself, if Russ loses about games, you know that locker room they like Justin Fields, that young locker room, young guys hang out with young guys. What's the bat? I think it has a powder keg feel to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, two thoughts on that. And I know Justin very well, and I was a fan supporter of Justin's here, But at the end of the day, your quarterbacks are determined by your team's down by ten, right with five minutes to go? Do you have a guy at quarterback that can take you down the field and score twice and win the game? Justin Fields? I hate to say I hate to even say this, but you know, if you look at his fourth quarter starts stat since he's been in the back, worse than a li interception, sacks, turnovers, no, I mean terrible. Justin Field is going to do things guys that gets get you out of your chair. Okay, He's gonna get you out of your chair in your living room. That's very difficult for you to do. Call it. I know when you get home, getting out of your chair. Okay, but you're going to put that vot get down and you're gonna have to get out of your chair. Okay. But at the end of the day, Russell Wilson is Wilson. Wilson's the guy. I'm a fan. This guy threw three touchdowns to one interception last year. What I was looking at it this morning, twenty six touchdowns, eight interceptions under adverse condition with Sean Payton. Let's face it, the guy was miserable, and he's gonna walk into that. You walk into the entrance of the not've been there, you know, sharing offices and fields with these guys for six years when I was at pit. You walk into that Steeler office and you see nothing but Super Bowl trophies. And Russell probably has a terrible towl under his front seat of his car. I mean, he's got the terrible towel going. I it's that will not be a problem. He he will buy in so quick, and Mike Toman will do such a great job of bringing him along. And I'll tell you he's got an offensive coordinator now, Arthur Smith. This guy's good. I mean, he's really good and he's gonna do things. I think that re energized Russell. I think they'll have some plays for Justin Fields. I think he'll come in, he'll make a run, or he'll make a scramble or do something and get It'll get all the terrible tiles going in the stadium. But at the end of the day, to win a Super Bowl and win your division, it's Russell Wilson in my opinion. And I'm a Justin Fields fan. But I faced Russell Wilson going back to NC State days when he was down here and I was at pitt and we played him, so I know him well and I'm just a fan, I really am.
Speaker 2: Finally, this next eight weeks is the scariest eight weeks for football fans because there's almost no great news, but potentially disastrous news with injuries. What's the line you pushed to practice hard, build, build that moxie and metal, but to not get injuries? It's is it a fine line? Is it difficult?
Speaker 1: Well, you don't ever talk about injuries, and you know what when they happen, obviously it's your old company line, the next guy up. But I'll tell you what the mistake you make is by saying we're going to become a physical team. Uh later on, this is the time to do it. You got to do it. It's a game of blocking and tackling. You don't get many opportunities now. When the Bears are putting on the pads tomorrow, I'll be there for the first time, and you know, I'll be highly disappointed if I don't see these guys cranking it up and getting after. You know, I always told the players this, And think about this for a second, and I remember having this conversation with Jason Taylor, coach, how what's what's your thought for me this preseason and training camp? And Jason, at that time was a two or three or whatever, you know, time pro bowler and one of our captains and leaders or whatever. And I said, you know what, Jason, here's the deal. When I see you performing on the field with pads on, none of this pushing stuff with pads on, at the level that I know that you can need to perform for us to get to the Super Bowl. Guess what, Jason, You'll know it and your teammates will know it when we see you at that level on the field. I've got enough. Let's get ready for the opener and let's go. But you know, that was kind of the message that I would tell the players if that makes sense. Now, I don't care what you did last year. If you don't come back and have that quickness and have that explosion and have that power and you're not tackling and doing all the things that you're going to have to do with the opening week, then you're not ready. You're not ready calling. And that's that was what I told him. I remember, Jason, I am the conversation. I says, I'll know, but it just won't be me, Jason. I'll know when you're ready. You'll know, and guess what your teammates will know too, and they'll all say, wow, Jason's back, and then okay, let's get ready for the opener. We got you enough full speed work, and that's what we're talking about here, full speed. The trap is to say, oh, he'll be okay. I know him, Jason will get it. That's the trap you fall into. At least I've always believed that, and just avery place I've coached, that's the way we've We've never talked in terms like that. It's like I did to Jason, but that was the goal what we were trying to accomplish by doing what we did.
Speaker 2: The advantage to young teams in the NFL, they're cheaper and they often recover more quickly from injuries. The advantage to old teams you get smarter teams, more experienced, generally better situationally been there before. The Niners are the classic really talented, old, expensive team. They've got multiple guys that want to hold out. That's all I've heard in the offseason. Go to your career older teams, guys start saying, Okay, this is my last contract. They don't want to practice as much, they don't want to get hit as much, they want to get paid more. I think San Francisco feels like they're on that edge, Dave, where it's a really rich and by the way, even the guys that aren't old Debo Hofunga have had injuries. Guys start looking at their bank accounts when they've had those injuries, knowing if they have another serious one, the money dries up. Did you ever have a situation with a great team where it started aging and you felt that football was often the second thing they thought about.
Speaker 1: No, I can't say I have. I mean I think that would be horrible for our coach. I mean, I really do would that would be as bad as having guaranteed uh contracts for every player on your team, you know, and trying to coach them.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Fortunately, Uh No, I've never been in that situation. You know, when we won our first Super Bowl in Dallas, we were like the youngest team in the NFL, you know, so that that was around for a few years. When when I went went to Miami, we kind of revamped everything there to to some degree. But no, I've never been in that situation. Things have changed now, and and that's that's culture. I mean that that's where your head coach earns his money, you know. I mean, that's that's called friendly fire and football, in my opinion, And you can't stick you can't avoid it. I mean, if that's going on in San Francisco, uh Shanahan, you know, he's got to get in there and address it. And he's got to communicate with these darn players, and and they've got to understand that they the guy next to him is relying on them. And if you want to win a Super Bowl, you know, everybody's got to kind of carry their into the load. Everybody's going to be your accountable for their thing. If you don't, you'll never win it. You'll never win it. You always come up short.
Speaker 2: So Belichick post Tom Brady didn't just struggle, he crashed. The offense was putrid, the coaching staff was retreads, he controlled the roster. It's fairly anemic offensively, So he didn't get any offers. And I'm curious, as a coach that's in his seventies, if Belichick and reportedly he wants to come back, what kind of job and how long do you think he would stay? Where do you think he is at now? Is the second winning his coach to Don Shula?
Speaker 1: You know what, you know, you hate talking jobs because then you're you're making a sound like you're talking about somebody losing their job, you know, And that's not what I'm saying here. But I think knowing Bill somewhat, and I know he talks with Jimmy some And you know, how many years is Bill going to coach two, three, four, five at the most. Maybe let's just for the maybe maybe maybe you know the thing that was missing at New England was Tom Brady. I mean, that's the reality he went through quarterbacks up there, offensive coordinators, the defensive coordinators. I mean, it was all over the place. So if Bill does come back, it's going to be a place where they have a quarterback. And you know, I mean the rumors out there with with people talking about the he's gonna go to the Giants and he's gonna go here. He not going to go Dallas if that's if that doesn't get signed back, Bill's not going anywhere near that place and start over, you know what I mean? So who who were those teams? The Philadelphia maybe the Jets, you know, if depending what everybody says, I mean, well, who are the teams that have really good quarterbacks and good players where he can go in and uh, just because of his his background and his history, the guys are going to respond and because guys want to get a ring, and uh, they're going to buy in and buying quick. But he's going to have a quarterback to give him a chance to do that. He's not going anywhere else, people talking you know where where he's got to start over or the quarterback is average, that ain't happening.
Speaker 2: Ask yourself, this Harball leaves Michigan, which job does he choose? Justin Herbert.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were. They were lined up there exactly right. That was That was smart. Jim. Jim knows the drill, knows the drill absolutely.
Speaker 2: Dave, have yourself a great summer. You're going to remain in Chicago. Do some Big ten and Bear stuff, right.
Speaker 1: Big ten Bears. Yeah. Pro Football Weekly. Uh yeah, they Marquee Station, the cub station is going to start doing a football show. So I'm gonna do a little bit over there too. So yeah, we got a full slate, full slate.
Speaker 2: Good scenior coach.
Speaker 1: Okay, see you soon the volume.
Speaker 2: All right, forget what the calendar says. The football season actually, to me starts Saturday. The Baltimore Ravens open their camp for the rookies. DraftKings has a Best Ball Millionaire contest. It is the biggest fantasy contest ever. We're talking fifteen million guaranteed dollars in the prize pool, fifteen million from DraftKings. That's a big number. With two two millionaires being crowned for first and second place. That is life changing. If you're a set it and forget it type, then Best Ball is for you. No waiver wires, no roster management, bigger rosters, so injuries won't end your season. Only the draft and that's it. You are set for the season. I like that right, so you can play it and have a life too. Check it out This year DraftKings offering everyone a Draft one get one special. Everybody gets this. Your twenty dollars entry fee that's at twenty bucks scores you a bonus ticket. Get ready for the Best Ball Week at DraftKings. Download the DraftKings app. You know takes ninety seconds. Put in the code column that's me Coli n All customers who enter the NFL Best Ball fifteen million Millionaire Contest get a bonus ticket only during Best Ball Week only on DraftKings. Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York call eight seven seven eight open wire, text hope and wy at four six seven three six nine.
Speaker 1: In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven, or visit CCPG dot org eighteen and over in most eligible states, but age varies by jurisdiction. Eligibility restrictions apply. One per customer enter the Best Ball fifteen million dollar Contest by nine five, twenty four to get one bonus entry twenty dollars entry fee required.
Speaker 2: Reward expires at contestlock on nine five, twenty four. See terms at DraftKings dot com slash dfs