Speaker 1: Hello, friends, and welcome to the Powerful Podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm your host, Ajam McCord.
Speaker 3: In this podcast, we introduced you to powerful women who were changing the game in and outside of their field of play. These are women's stories, women who happen to be doing things that many of us can only dream of, but the lessons and inspiration they share is universal.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Powerful Podcast. I'm your host, aj McCord and I'm not gonna lie to y'all. When I sat down to do an interview with the number one ranked free skier in women's superpipe, I did not.
Speaker 2: Also expect that we're going to be talking about the psychology of.
Speaker 1: Fear and how that was going to really go so far beyond the twenty two foot walls of the super pipe that Zoe Atkin absolutely thrives in. The Great British Free Skier is trying to make it to her second Olympics and she has had a twenty twenty five season to remember. Cannot wait for you guys to hear this episode. Let me know what you think.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, Powerful Podsquad.
Speaker 1: I am so excited to be joined by a Crystal Globe winner.
Speaker 2: No big deal.
Speaker 1: That means She is the top ranked free skier in the women's super pipe in the world.
Speaker 2: Her name is Zoe Akin.
Speaker 1: She is also a junior at Stanford University, trying to make it to her second Olympics for Team Great Britain and right now catching up with me in the middle of a training camp.
Speaker 2: Zoe, thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 4: Hi, thank you so much for having me. I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: This is so much fun.
Speaker 1: So I want to first talk about the Crystal Globe because for those who don't know, can you explain how massive of a deal this award is in your sport.
Speaker 4: It's definitely a pretty big deal. I was very excited when it happened. So basically, we have about five World Cup events a year, and then at the end of the year they kind of tally up all your results and then whoever has the best results over like all those events, Yeah, they add them together and then they make rankings for the rest of the year from those events. So yeah, it's kind of about, you know, being consistent and doing well, but you kind of have to, you know, maintain that level throughout the whole season, which kind of can be a little bit tough because the first World Cup of the season was in August and then the last one was just last week in February. So it's kind of a long season to be kind of at that high level and to be performing, you know, at the events. So yeah, I ended up with a Cup with the first place medal and a couple of second places, and then I ended up ranked first in the world at the end of the season, which is so crazy to me and I'm so excited about it.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I can imagine.
Speaker 1: I mean August to February that is such like that's a solid season and it's crazy to think, Like when you think about a sport like basketball or football, or even like within Olympic sports like surfing, the season itself, the length of the season is similar, but the number of events only five. There's so much pressure on every single event. How do you make You're twenty two years old, You're going for your second Olympics. So we're gonna get to the fact that you made to your first Olympics in just a minute. But how do you how are you managing the pressure and the time off in between events, Like how are you staying ready this whole time?
Speaker 4: Totally? I mean honestly, it's it's quite tough, especially, I feel like, especially because we have such a big break in the spring and summer and we do have training camps, so we are you know, still on our skis, but there is definitely a big break that you just spend not on snow at all because you know, it's like summer and there's only so like a few places that you can go in the summer. So I mean when I went to the first competition in New Zealand, I think I ended up like fifth or six or something. It was I did not ski very well. It wasn't my best. I was kind of in a little bit of a mental funk that spring and summer just with you know, I had a lot on my play Like school was just I was taking this really hard class. I was like literally coding and my room like all day every day during the summer, and then I just flew to New Zealand and competed in this World Cup with like I think we had like a one or two week training camp the week before, so it was very hectic, and I didn't sche my best and I kind of you know, did that event. I was like, well that was terrible. I you know, like completely put the Crystal Globe out of my head because I was like, I mean that results just not good enough. So whatever, just put it out. I'll forget about it, focus on doing better, train a little bit harder, and focus on the next World Cup. And yeah, I just was able to kind of build on that and try and you know, it's it's definitely tough, but I feel like being able to be like, this event is super super important, this is the most important event, and then once it's over, it's like it's over and then you focus on the next one. And I feel like that kind of you don't want to be ruminating on, you know, your failures all the time. You can, you know, take what you can from the event, like learn what you can and then take that into the next event. So I feel like that's something I was definitely working on the season. And to be able to, you know, win my first World Cup since I was sixteen and I'm twenty two now, so it's been a really long time and to be able to like get up to that level meant so much to me. And yeah, to be able to bring that consistency back up to the level I wanted to be at going into this next year with the Olympics and everything and so much to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's talk about the fact that at sixteen you won your very first World Cup and then six years later you have to wait six years until you top the podium again in a World Cup. You had some X Games medals in there, there were a couple of other like podium topping moments, but in terms of World Cups, which, like you mentioned, really big when we look at Olympic qualifying and obviously less than a year away from Italy. So what did it feel like in early February you land your run and Aspen and you realize, oh my gosh, I just put down a ninety, which is like borderline untouchable in your first right, that was your first run, and so tell me, like, what did what zone did you get into at the top of that super pipe?
Speaker 4: Honestly, I so we had X Games the week before and I was like so ready. I had done all the preparation. I was so ready for that event, and I don't know what happened on com day. I think I was just like so like so much pressure on myself, Like I was so stressed. I just felt like I didn't ski to the level I wanted to do, and with the new X Games format, they like changed it this year, so it was kind of like a little bit of curveball. Definitely wasn't my best skiing. And so the World Cup was the week after in the same pipe, and I was like so mad. I was like, this is I got fourth, which is always like, I mean fourth is great, like it's I'm obviously happy that I'm in, like you know, the top four, but it's always so tough, like right that first position right off the podium, like you don't get to you know, stay on the mix.
Speaker 2: Maggie is it the chocolate what is what does Maggie call it? Maggie voice? And she got I think she calls it like the chocolate metal or something like that. It's like the yeah, yeah, like you don't close, yeah, but you're so.
Speaker 4: Close totally, Like it's so it's like a great position, but you do not want like at least if you're in fifth, you're like okay, like it's fine, but fourth, like you're right there and you didn't get it. I was so mad, and I was like I'm channeling all of this energy into like landing my run at the World Cup doesn't matter the result. But I'm going to land my run and I'm going to land it the best I can. So I had just you know, really like high intensity trainings and I was super ready for this event. And my first run, I was like, let's get this done, like I'm gonna show these people what's up. And yeah, to be I was honestly just so hyped to land my run after you know, not landing it the way I wanted it to the week before, so so hyped, and then yeah, to be able to win, like it's I mean, it's it's tough because I had, you know, I've had a couple of good seasons with you know, podium results and stuff like that, which is great and I'm very excited about that. But it's so tough to be on that top spot. Like there's so many factors. I mean, there's so many other good girls skiing and with great runs, and it's definitely there's definitely a difference between being top three and being number one. Like it's definitely that like one extra little bit that's you know, tough to crack. So yeah, it's definitely something I've been thinking about for the past couple of years, I've been getting a lot of seconds, all of thirds, you know, and so yeah, to be able to get on top of that step was a huge confidence boost for me landing my run under the pressure after X skins and everything. Definitely, yeah, it was. It was a very meaningful moment for me, I.
Speaker 1: Bet, because I mean going through your career just in general, right, Like I said, sixteen, your first World Cup, you make it to the Olympics, so you're competing there, should have been competing with your sister, but she had to pull out of it. But your sister was baring all of this sort of weight and pressure of the nation because she was the first female to ever medle on skis for Great Britain.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: So it's like your family has had a lot of attention and then you at sixteen burst onto the scene.
Speaker 2: You don't have the Olympics that you want.
Speaker 1: I imagine there's a lot of self doubt that's coming in of like, yeah, I'm one of the best, but like can I be the best? What are you going through mentally throughout the last few years and how do you sort of get through it to top that podium and to say you know what the results sounded like. You said almost like the results don't matter. I'm just landing this thing the best way that I possibly can.
Speaker 4: Totally. I mean you touched on so many things right there, like, oh, that's so true. I Yeah. So I saw my sister win a medal in twenty eighteen. I was there in Korea when she got that bronze and slop style, and I kind of like illuminated the possibilities of like what I could do in the sport. So I definitely was like okay, like I could get there, Like I could train and work hard and do it. And so I had a couple podium results. I had that World Cup win. I think I medled that World Championships and another World Cup or something, and then I went into my first Olympics and I put so much pressure on myself. I was like, this is the Olympics, like I'm going to do so well, and I was only ever really thinking about the results. And I feel like that really shows in my skiing, and I feel like going into the whole season, I don't even remember, like at this point, I don't even think I landed a single run that I was very proud of that season, just because I was so focused on the results and I couldn't like let that go and you know, focus on what I needed to improve on, what I needed to work on, and just the skiing itself. So there's a lot of that, And then there's a lot of disappointment after the Olympics, just because it didn't go the way I wanted it to, especially after all those expectations, and after that. I had a little bit of a low, a low point coming after the Olympics, and that's when I went. I started at Stanford my freshman year at Stanford that fall after the Olympics.
Speaker 2: Perfect.
Speaker 1: Stanford is known for being a really easy school, something that you just freeze into really.
Speaker 2: Good never really good academics.
Speaker 1: So if we're feeling bad about ourselves, Stanford is a really good place.
Speaker 4: Yes, just go to Stanford. You'll feel No. It was definitely it was definitely tough, and because I had just taken a gap year, so it's been a while since I've been to school. But it was honestly so refreshing to kind of have a different challenge that wasn't so mental and fear focused. And I feel like that's such a big thing with you know, action sports is like is the whole thing is kind of overcoming fear and being able to like, you know, fake the confidence in order to you know, try things and do things and make them better and get up after your fall. But at Stanford, it was so much more just like learning to be in a new environment and like making friends, being social, like being able to like raise my hand in class, you know, and obviously like the academic side of things too. And I feel like it was so nice to be able to just forget that I was a skier and to just be me again and kind of be like I exist outside of my results, and I exist outside of whatever place I got at the Olympics. And I feel like that was really big for me, especially just like being so young at my first Olympics and just when you're young in general, I feel like you're, you know, grappling with all these you know, what your identity is and all that kind of stuff. So just like a very emotional time, I guess, and I felt like that. Yeah, So that experience at Stanford was just really helpful for me, like as a person, for my growth and everything. And I was kind of like not sure if I wanted to go back to skiing, but I was like, I'll just do this season and see outgos and if I don't want to ski by the end of the season, then I'll just quit and do school full time. And that's fine. And I feel like, and that was my first X Games gold medal, and I had a great season that year. I podium to all the events I went into, which was huge for me coming after you know, a season of not a single podium. I think I got like ninth at the Olympics or something, which I was, you know, upset about, like but and I just feel like taking that pressure off really allowed me to you know, focus on the skiing and remember why I did it in the first place, which is like that passion that you know fun. And also going to Stanford and I was taking a lot of like psychology classes and stuff kind of in that realm, so I was able to learn a lot more about the brain and the thought process and you know, how fear is kind of like created in the brain and how it's like processed in the body. And I feel like kind of thinking about it mechanically helped me a lot. You know, when you're standing at the top being like I'm so scared, like I like my body paralyzed. I'm like I can't move, and then being like this is just a biological process, like of course I'm scared. It's like my brain, there's, you know, all this stuff going on in my body. But like I can still do this, Like I can be scared and do it either way. And I feel like learning all that kind of stuff was also very helpful for me going back to skiing. That was a really long winded answer, but.
Speaker 2: No, that was great. No, that was great.
Speaker 1: I want to hear more about the fear and how learning about that biological process, because I think you're right, like as somebody who I absolutely love watching action sports, I love watching you guys do what you do. And I will never throw myself thirty four feet above the snow and a twenty two foot ice wall in order.
Speaker 2: To like flip and feel something in the air.
Speaker 1: And it like the fear in me is my biological response is like, actually, no, you can't, you can't do that. That is like a reasonable fear. But I think so often you proge this confidence and so we almost put these you know, like Olympic extreme athletes on a pedestal of like, well, look they're doing it, and they're actually they're actually not scared, and it's almost what I've experienced is almost a form of separation where it's like, well, yeah, that's good for you, but not for me, Like you could do that, but I couldn't do that, And what you're saying is like, no, actually, this is something that happens to all of us, and we can all handle whatever the fear is. We can all handle it because it's in biological response, is what you've learned.
Speaker 4: Totally. I definitely feel like there's this kind of idea that all these people that are doing these crazy things are like even the people in my sport, that there were like crazy adrenaline junkies, or that we're just we just aren't afraid, and that we're just so good at our sports though it's like it's nothing to us, but it is scary, and it's scary every time, even when I do things that I know I can do, not to mention the things I'm trying and you know, haven't ever tried before, and I'm just like, you know, trying to learn it by throwing it. But yeah, it's definitely like it's it's natural to feel the fear because you know, what we do is ultimately dangerous, Like there is risk involved, and there's kind of risk in anything. Like if you think about, you know, whatever it is that makes you scared, whether it be I don't know, going up to someone that you don't know and like speaking to them, or raising your hand in class like I said before, or you know, whatever it may be. It's like there's a biological reason for that. It's whether it's you're you know, you're throwing yourself over an ice tube, or it's like you know, fear of like social rejection or whatever it is. You know, more like complex rather than like the biological like fear, you know what I mean, there's always like the reason for that. But it's like that feeling doesn't have to stop us from doing it. That feeling is just a feeling at the end of the day. And that's something I talk with a lot with my sports psy like, and I took this class at Sanford called How Beliefs Create Reality, And there's so much of it of like it's it's how you approach that. It's like, am I taking this as a warning signal? Like is this you know, whatever you're feeling is like, oh, my palms get sweaty or my heart's racing. Am I like this means I can't do this, Like I'm too scared to do this. I can't. Like you're taking these signals as a negative, or you could be like my sweaty palms, my racing heart, like I'm nervous because I really care about this. You know, I'm nervous because I'm kind of rising to the challenge. My body's getting activated. This adrenaline is going to give me the edge that I need to be able to do this trick in the halfpipe, or this kind of racing heart's gonna like give me, you know, the energy and the courage to like go up to someone new at like the coffee shop or something like that. Yeah, And I feel like so much of it is like how we frame these things. And you know, anyone can kind of take your beliefs and mindsets and you can kind of shift into whatever works for you and whatever is positive. Or you if you find yourself backing out of things because you know you're nervous, it's like are you taking that nervousness, like do you need to be viewing that nervousness as such a negative thing, like a lot of the times, you know, fear is good, Like we need the fear, and it just means we care about something, you know, any other feeling, like when you feel happiness, you like that feeling, but you know, if you feel fear, that's a bad feeling. Like they're all just feelings and we kind of associate them with different things. But we can change those associations, and we have that power to you know, control our minds in that way. And I feel like that's something that I've learned through my sport, but also through like classes and speaking with sports like and stuff like that that I feel like has been really helpful for me personally to be able to you know, kind of like take that control back, Like I can't help if my heart races, Like of course my heart's going to race when I'm you know, doing flips in the air, but I can kind of take back the control of being like yeah, but I'm not going to let it control what I choose to do next.
Speaker 2: I guess yeah.
Speaker 1: I can't remember where I heard it, but someone I definitely didn't come up with this, which is why I'm certain I heard it somewhere, but someone was recently talking about how fear can be viewed as a focuser because of all the emotions, right, there's like obviously too many to name, but let's take a few of them, like happy, sad, those two plus fear, right, Like, if you're feeling happy, you don't necessarily need to be like focused, if you're feeling sad, you don't necessarily need to be focused.
Speaker 2: But fear, if you, it's almost like a focusing emotion.
Speaker 1: It's like, hey, there's this one thing happening right now that really needs your attention because whether you're doing something that is scary from a physical perspective of hey, you really need to focus because you are hurtling your body thirty feet up in the air, and.
Speaker 2: You need to focus because otherwise you could get hurt.
Speaker 1: Or you know, hey, you're going up to somebody in a coffee shop and this is scary, So focus in on this. Don't get distracted by the sounds and who's the boris was calling somebody else's name? And for me, that are really important because you know so in competitive gymnastics, right, like I understand the fear. I understand the fear of hurtling yourself up into the air and really trusting that you're gonna land on your feet. And at sixteen, I didn't have that capacity to manage my fear, and at the end of it, it almost ruined the sport for me because I'd gotten hurt, I was scared to get back. I was physically unable to do some of the things that I'd done in the past, and I ended up saying, you know what.
Speaker 2: I'm good. This was the end of the road for me, and I'm okay with that.
Speaker 1: But the reality is, partially because I was terrified, I was too afraid to turn fear into something other than fear. And so I feel like what you're describing is it goes hand in hand with like fear can be just a focusing emotion of like this is important, so pay attention, don't get distracted because you've worked really hard for this, you care a lot about this, so just focus on this and stay here with us.
Speaker 4: Totally. Yeah, and I definitely empathize with the fear kind of takeing the love or you know, the passion away from the sport, Like it can be so overwhelming, like I've had so many times where I've been standing at the top of the pipe and I'll just be standing there and I won't move, and like two hours will pass and then after I'll just like go home and i won't even try it because I've just like builds it up in my head. And definitely like it is, especially for young girls, I feel like it's it's it's such an overwhelming emotion, but it's also like what you said, it is you know, that kind of focusing agent, and biologically evolutionarily, it's you know, there's a point of fear. It's like you know, there's a lion. Okay, now I got to lock in. I gotta run as fast as I can to escape this lion. You know. It's it's it biologically gives you the edge that you need. Like I'm not sure all the stats on this, but I think it let you vaso constrict so like kind of more you become like better at like coordination and stuff like that and any kind of like I don't I'm not sure all the like you know, the scientist, but it definitely does like biologically, you know, put you in a place that's better for you know, like flow state or better focus, better performance and I think, THINKI about it that way can be really powerful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think now that we've talked through all this fear, it makes it even I don't know, more impressive and more exciting for me to have watched you this season and knowing that you wanted to try to incorporate a lot of new tricks this year right into your halfpipe run. And that's something that you know for those who you who don't know half pypes, zo you can talk to this a lot more.
Speaker 2: But I know, like you put years. It's like again, I keep.
Speaker 1: Comparents gymnastics, but it's similar to gymastics, and that you put years into being better at the same exact skills right doing them to almost perfection.
Speaker 2: That's like the goal. And incorporating a new trick into a routine or into a run is a lot. It's really scary.
Speaker 1: Because all of a sudden, you're not just like doing the same old thing and trying to better. Now you're trying out in a competition for the first time, and you decided to do this the year before an Olympic year. How did you incorporate these new tricks into your runs? And in the meantime have the best year of your skiing career.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Definitely, it's yeah, like what you've said, very similar to gymnastics, like you kind of, I think we call them tricks and you guys call them skills. Like you, you know, learn a thing and then you do it over and over and over again, and then when you're putting a new one in, you still have to do all your other tricks, so there's still you know, kind of you have to rely on that muscle memory so you can do all those other things while also focusing on this new thing that you want to put in. So yeah, it's definitely it's it's definitely tough. There's always kind of you know, there's never there's always something to be working on. I feel like that's kind of my mindset. Like, for example, if it's not the best day ever, I won't work on my hardest trick. I'd work on something simpler and maybe try and make it smoother, trying to get the grapnd a little bit better, make the landing a little bit lighter. So I always think that there's something to work on, and we're all we're simultaneously working on all these different things all at once, so there's like a little bit of that. And also, you know, no matter how many times I do a trick. I think I mentioned this earlier, but I am still so scared to do it every single time. So it's it's like being able to kind of reconfront that fear every day until it is just kind of like background noise to me. Like it's like even my simplest trick, Like the first time I'll do it in a day, I'll be like, oh my gosh, I'm so nervous, but it's like, hey, I did this yesterday, I did this day before, I did this day before that. You know, I got this. But yeah, I think, especially like with a sport, like halfway seeing, it's definitely progressing so much, and I feel like that's really awesome to see all the girls, you know, throwing down and learning new tricks all the time. But it's also very like it's kind of like methodle methodological. I don't know how to say that word.
Speaker 2: Methodlodical, yeahd in.
Speaker 4: Progression yeah, methodical, Sorry, Okay, that's okay. It's very methodical, and it's kind of progression like someone will learn something and then a bunch of other people will learn it as well, so there isn't kind of new tricks going down all the time. It's definitely like you kind of learn something and then you work on it and you perfect it and then you put it in the comp. So it's kind of like a really big process that takes a really long time and a lot of work and then only kind of comes to fruition at the end and then you get all the credit for it. But like you know, in the build up, it's definitely like baby step, baby step, baby step. So to be able to put I just recently learned a switch nine. I put that in the last comp, the last World Cup of the year a couple of weeks ago. To be able to put that in my comp front is just such a culmination of like all these days that I've put into that, and not only that, but all my other tricks in the run that I was able to do all in that one run. So it's definitely like it's cool because it's a little bit of like the behind the scenes, the behind the scenes work that a lot of people don't see, and it's like, oh, like you just tried this new trick and it just went well and you just landed it, like so crazy, but it's like, no, there's so much behind it, which is, yeah, you didn't.
Speaker 1: Just you didn't see me land this into the pit a million times or like onto the blob for you guys, a million times before I went out and tried.
Speaker 2: So switch nine.
Speaker 1: So break that down for those of us who you know, that's it's a lot of spinning, Zoe, and it's coming in backwards.
Speaker 2: It isn't mistaken.
Speaker 4: It is a lot of spinning. So in okay, So we have basically, so there's two ways of spinning. You can spin left and you get been right, and then you can also spin switch left and switch right. So usually you'll have kind of a natural way of spinning. Like for example, I prefer to spin left. That's just the way that I would rather spin if I had, you know, a choice, But it's the best. You want to be spinning as many ways as possible. Basically, So my switch right nine hundred is basically two and a half rotations to my switch unnatural side of spinning. So it's my uncomfortable way backwards two and a half rotations.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that's ridiculous. And it's like it's so cool because like you're saying. And so this is the other thing that I think is really fascinating about skiing in particular and half pipe I think in particular. Correct me if I'm wrong, But is there not like a little bit of strategy with the clips that you post on social so that like sometimes as you're learning a new trick, like some athletes will be like really upfront about like, oh, look at me, I'm trying this, I'm trying this, I'm learning this, and some athletes are like, yeah, you're not going to see anything until I land this in the comp because you don't want to tip anybody off, because, like you said, it's a pretty small community. So you land a switch nine and all of a sudden, people are going, oh, wait a minute, a switch nine.
Speaker 2: I should be training a switch you know.
Speaker 1: It's like this, like it feels like a little bit of like everybody's watching each other, so what is your when it comes to new tricks.
Speaker 4: That's definitely really true. There is kind of like a flaw to that strategy, and that we usually are kind of all training together, so we usually will see if something goes down, But there is definitely the element of being like, Okay, let's say I learned something in the spring and I post about it and so everyone knows about it, and then it's like, okay, but people still have the fall camps and like all the time in the winter, you know, to learn something and maybe put something in comp that you know they got inspired to do because of the post. So I'm definitely a little bit more of a secretive person. I don't really post things until comp comes around, and that's I think it's a little more exciting too, for like the viewers. It's like, oh wait, if he hasn't been doing that or that's a new thing, and I think that's, you know, fun, and I think it makes it fun, you know, for the competition. I feel like it's like a big reveal, even though like probably no one cares, Like even though everybody, but.
Speaker 1: No, do not even begin to tell yourself that because everybody cares. When somebody does a new trick, it's like everybody notices it.
Speaker 2: It's on social media within ten seconds of you landing it.
Speaker 1: Like it's one of the great surprises that come with sports. And I think part of the reason we love sports is because nobody knows what's going to happen, right and like in half pipe in particular, there's really two things that can happen that are really jarring. You can like land it absolutely perfectly, or you can fall and then sort to add in this element of like ooh, or she could surprise us with something that we haven't seen done in a half pipe by a female before, or that we haven't seen her do before.
Speaker 2: I think, no, I love it, keep it secret. I like it. I think that's a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: Totally. It is really fun. I'm definitely like quite competitive deep down, so it's fun to see everything go down in a competition setting. It's fun.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a blast. Okay.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about your sister Izzy because we mentioned the history that she made which is worthy of being repeated in case you missed it, which is that in the twenty eighteen Games in slopestyle, correct, Zoe. Yeah, So the twenty eighteen Games, she became Great Britain's first ever medalist or female medalist medalist period.
Speaker 4: In slope style. Yes, there's a little bit of a controversy because a racer had won an Olympic medal, but there was like there was like a failed drug test or something. So the medal was stress. She was like a whole controversy. So we just say for slop style medal or.
Speaker 2: Free skiing medal, she was the first. Okay, so we're gonna start this over.
Speaker 1: Her sister Izzie in twenty eighteen made history for Great Britain when she became the first female to ever win a.
Speaker 2: Free skiing medal in the Olympics.
Speaker 1: And you, my dear, got a chance to ski with her growing up and learn from her how And maybe this is selfish because I'm an older sister, so I always like to, you know, make sure that the older sisters get a little bit of the credit for the work we put in in childhood. How did skiing with her and seeing her achieve that history you touched on a little bit, but like, how has that impacted the way that you ski and what you believe is possible?
Speaker 4: It was? It was everything for me, honestly, Like everything I've accomplished I feel like I can attribute to her. I feel like, I mean, growing up, I was very competitive, so and I'm four and a half years younger than she is, so every time she would learn something, I would always try and learn it at a younger age than she did. Just so I was like one step ahead, but I would never be you know, like better than her, because four and a half years in skiing is like quite a big gap. So and she got me into freestyle skiing in the first place. She was like, you have to freestyle ski if you go into racing your lame. So there's just so much of that. And then seeing her succeed when I was so young, it kind of, yeah, opened the doors of possibility for me. And not only that in like a result sense, but also my skiing itself is so inspired by her. She was always very smooth and stylely, and maybe she wasn't doing like the biggest rotations or you know, like the you know, the first trick of something, but she was always doing her stuff very smooth, and she was very styly, and she kind of brought that style to every event, and she was, you know, like a crowd favorite to watch just because she was so smooth and she kind of had that effortless style about it. And that's something that I try and emulate in my own skiing. I think there's a lot of different ways. Like what I said before, I think halfpipe skiing is progressing so much, but I think there's a lot of different ways to look at progression. You know, you can think about it as doing the biggest amount of spins, the biggest rotations, or you can think about it as you know, going like the highest out of the pipe, or you can think about it as you know, bringing in more switch skiing. And there's a lot of different ways to progress. But I think for me, something that I really want to embody in my skiing is kind of that style and smoothness and kind of when people watch to go, oh that was nice, Like I enjoyed watching that. That wasn't you know, like oh, like she might be like, oh that's so scary, or you know you watch people when you're like that was insane, but oh my god, I was so nervous for them. Yeah, watching my sister kind of be that effortless skier really inspired me in my skiing. And honestly, you know, when I do tricks, I'm like, how would she look doing this? What grab would she do in this? And honestly, it takes it takes a lot of practice to look effortless, which is why I think it's cool. You know, like anyone can throw I mean not anyone. There it's hard to do a really big trick, but it's hard to do it's even harder to do a really big trick and make it look good.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's like the kind of yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that most people the best tricks are the ones that are pulled off so effortlessly, effortless, effortlessly that the people watching are like, huh, could I do that? Is that like a possible thing for a normal because it's like I mean you, I mean even your X Games run. I know you weren't very happy with it, but I remember watching you and going, whoa, she's making this look way too easy for like how high she's going in the air, for how many spins, for the type of grabs, And so I totally agree with you. I think the effortless part of it is like really alluring for a viewer to be like, oh my gosh, it's just like such a such a it's like a symphony with the snow where you're just like in sync with the pipe and it's it's beautiful to watch unfold.
Speaker 4: Totally thank you. I actually it's cool that you brought that up. I feel like we kind of our sport has kind of seen as you know, a lot more athletic and maybe mental, but I think there's a lot of you know, creativity and artistry that goes into a half pipe run. I think it's cool to kind of like lean into that and yeah, be able to like appreciate I guess, like the artistry that goes into it. It's kind of like a dance, but you know, dance is also very athletic, but it's also kind of an art at the same time, which is cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you're getting ready trying to qualify for Italy here to make it to your second Olympics. What is the thing that you're the most proud of yourself for so far in this Olympic cycle That Zoe four years ago, who was or three years ago, was so unhappy with how she made her Olympic debut that you would tell her, now, hey, look at what I've.
Speaker 2: Done since what is the thing you're most proud of?
Speaker 4: I mean, obviously there is kind of a little bit of like, I mean, i'm world number one now, like, yes, there's more part of that and we.
Speaker 2: Should be proud of that.
Speaker 4: All of that, thank you, and you know, all the results and stuff. But I think to be honest, like with how unhappy I was after the Olympics, I feel like just telling her how much I love skiing right now and how much passion I have for it, and how much inspiration and motivation I found for like training just on the daily basis and being able to like really go into competitions and be like, obviously I want this metal and obviously I really care about this, but I enjoy being here and I'm enjoying the emotional roller coaster that it is, and I'm enjoying putting in the work that it takes to compete at this level. And I feel like that is a really big breakthrough for me, just being able to like live my life and you know, enjoy the day to day because at the end of the day, like you know, World Cup goals are great, and it feels so good in the moment, but it's like the day to day that you have to be happy with and you have to find that kind of inspiration from and to be able to kind of be in this place now that I think I'm more inspired by skiing than I think i've ever been, and I'm more passionate for it than i think i've ever been. In my whole life. And I think that is something that I'm really proud of, especially coming after you know, such a like a dark time in my life, I would say, after the Olympics, and it's definitely not all you know, happy all the time, and it's not easy all the time. And I definitely still go through you know, harder patches and times where I'm not motivated, in times where I'm just like, I'm so scared, I don't want to do this anymore. And there is those ups and downs, but I feel like kind of living through those ups and downs is you know what makes it really fun for me and really like experiencing that and like feeling those emotions and being able to like, yeah, just like ride that wave. And I think that's something that I'm really proud of the past couple of years.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: And what's so cool about that is that that is something that you will carry with you no matter what you do, you know, whether it's skiing in a super pipe or going back to Stanford or whatever. And I think that's the process. Orienting is something that yeah, I feel like it's so common and it's such a it's so cool for again, my time in competitive sports was twenty years ago, fifteen, twenty years ago. At this point, it's something that so many more athletes are talking about openly now than they were when I was looking up to athletes, and it's just such a cool, cool evolution of sports. And so I'm really grateful that you're sharing that because I think it makes a difference to the next generation of skiers and extreme sport athletes who are going I just want to I just want to do what I love and to like not lose that joy is so critical. You can you can skip so much heartache if you just don't lose the joy even in.
Speaker 2: The hard times and the passion.
Speaker 1: So I love that well, Zoe, I could talk to you all day about skiing and I want to learn. So there's just so many more things. Yeah, I just think you're the best. I think you're I think you're incredible. I think it's so fun to watch you and so I cannot wait to continue to reach you on and hopefully in Italy next year bringing home another medal for Britain. But we have to transition now for the podcast purpose, this is a segment called something to Sip On. It is brought to you by the sports Bra, which is the first women's sports bar in the entire world. It's in Portland, Oregon, and so Zoe, the week of your episode, they're going to have a cocktail or mocktail of your choosing.
Speaker 2: Called the Zoe. So Oh, I want to know what are we sipping on that week?
Speaker 4: My goodness, I'm so honored. Definitely my favorite drink is a mohito. So if we can do something like that, love a classic, delicious, love a good.
Speaker 2: Mohedo, so good, perfect a mojito. I know for a fact the Sports Bra can do a great mohedo. Next up, we have our Powered Up segment.
Speaker 1: So this is rapid fire questions where it's just like fun things, get to know.
Speaker 2: You a little bit better. Sorry, Podsquad, I say this every week.
Speaker 1: I'm so bad at this, Zoe because I always want to know the storry behind the answer.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to try to stay focused.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe tap into a little bit of sweaty palms energy and get going.
Speaker 2: You ready, I'm ready? Okay, coffee or tea?
Speaker 4: Ooh, tea, I'm ready.
Speaker 1: Favored ice cream flavor that's fair BlackBerry ooh, I like that.
Speaker 2: Tillamook has a great BlackBerry In case I know that.
Speaker 4: One, I'm familiar.
Speaker 2: You don't. Yeah. What is your go to two meal after skiing?
Speaker 4: Ooh, I love a good burrito bowl.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, so good. Are you a night owl or an early bird?
Speaker 4: Oh? Night owl for sure. I hate mornings.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's fair.
Speaker 1: I mean if I didn't have coffee in the mornings, I also would hate mornings.
Speaker 2: But I love my morning cup of coffee. What is your favorite place that your sport has taken you?
Speaker 4: Ooh? Probably? Oh that's tough. Either the Alps or New Zealand. Very beautiful.
Speaker 2: Oh we're in New Zealand, were you?
Speaker 4: We were just outside of Queenstown. It's this little town called Wantica on the South Island's love Wantica.
Speaker 1: I went there a few years ago, but in their summer and I did a bunch of backpacking.
Speaker 2: I love that town.
Speaker 1: If if you get a chance to go to New Zealand, listeners, I twelve out of ten recommend Wanica. It is so cute, such a fun mountain town. Okay, if you were not an Olympic free skier, what sport would you want to be?
Speaker 2: An Olympian?
Speaker 1: In?
Speaker 4: Can?
Speaker 2: Be summer or winter.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think I would do tennis. I used to play tennis, and I have this fantasy that if I didn't quit, I'd be like a Grand Slam champion. So I'm gonna say tennis.
Speaker 2: I well, you know, maybe this is a second career.
Speaker 1: Maybe we're like done free skiing and we decided to pick up the tennis racket again.
Speaker 2: I super easy.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, no, it looks same, same, It's like very similar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just a quick Wimbledon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just put pencil it in, you know, your calendar, see if you can squeeze it in.
Speaker 2: What is your favorite dessert?
Speaker 4: Oh, my goodness, I love dessert. I have dessert after every single meal. I'm okay, you were my type of girls.
Speaker 2: As possible.
Speaker 4: I honestly, I don't know. I really like crembrule is really good. I love like anything chocolatey, so like you know, like cake or a brownie, like like bakery kind of stuff. Also just like like if we're talking, like you know, like gas station kind of snacky, like I love an oreo.
Speaker 2: Oh good to know.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a We really covered everything from grimbolay to oreo.
Speaker 2: So I know you're a dessert I just.
Speaker 4: Love any dessert, literally, any dessert, all of it.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic. What is your dream vacation spot?
Speaker 4: Ooh, so this is not very fast.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna this is what happened that every time it's I need to I need to stop calling it rapid fire.
Speaker 2: I need to just call it like general get to know you questions Q and A.
Speaker 4: I really would like to go to South America. I've never I've only been once to Chile, and I would love to kind of explore that more because I'm usually in Europe or Australia, New Zealand, you know, those kind of places. I think South America could be really cool.
Speaker 2: I agree with you.
Speaker 1: I feel like that is the It's like the Patagonia region just like keeps entering my you these days, and I'm like, huh, maybe this is a sign that that's my next vacation.
Speaker 2: What is the best piece of advice you've ever gotten?
Speaker 4: Focus on progress, not perfection.
Speaker 1: Oh for those of us who I had a support that believed perfectionism was possible, that's that's a That's a doozy, okay, Zoe. And then the last question I have for you is what does powerful mean?
Speaker 4: To you. Oh my goodness, so many things. I mean, overcoming fear, building confidence, getting a little better every day, being the best version of yourself. Yeah. I think anything that builds your confidence makes you better person, makes you happier. I think it's all great. I agree.
Speaker 1: Awesome, well, Zoe, thank you so much for coming on the Powerful podcast.
Speaker 2: This has been a joy.
Speaker 1: I did not expect when we had the Crystal Globe winner to also get a really good psychology sort of session with talking about fear, but I'm so grateful for it. That was like exactly what I didn't know that we needed. So thank you for doing that.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me and letting me rant about my psychology theories.
Speaker 1: There's no ranting. I'm signing up for Professor Zoe's classes. That's what I'm doing after this podcast, after this podcast.
Speaker 2: So thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Zoe. We are rooting for you. Cannot wait to see you hopefully in Italy next year. And pod Squad, we'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: Have a good one.
Speaker 1: This is a reminder to check us out every Tuesday everywhere you get your podcasts, and if you really enjoy this and don't want to miss an episode, be sure to hit that subscribe Itton