Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbo. I'm that for me.
Speaker 2: I'm a man, I'm for I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 1: You want to be happy for Dake Edith State. Is that? Whoo whoo? And Don and Tye welcome back to the solid breb of boys and girls. My name is ty Hildebrand, joining me as always back over there in New York City. My man, the one and only Dan Ruberstein, Sir, how are you? I'm great, obviously.
Speaker 2: I live a fantastic life with a fantastic family and friends and co host a wonderful college football program with a terrific friend in ty hilden Brands.
Speaker 1: It's all true. It is all true.
Speaker 2: And something I've learned is that life is about decisions and figuring out what's best for you. And we went back and forth on this a good amount, and we've done the premiere conferences and I'm glad we can shine a light on the SEC now. I think that's something that's important for us to do with the audience that we have to spotlight.
Speaker 1: The lesser we thought about just going sun belt today, maybe a little American Athletic, maybe the MAC because maction is so much fun. But alacks got a lot of big sky research. The emails have come in fast and furious for SEC content. So this evening, falling in the template of our previous shows, Dan is prepared to answer some prodding, pulsating, thrust out questions about the SEC West. And here I am over here where I'm ready to talk about the SEC East.
Speaker 2: Penetrating actually serves an actual vocabulary function in that context, so only something you really could have gone with that. Yes, so this is how it works. Explain please, here's the way it works. Dan has written up seven questions for my seven SEC East teams. I have written seven questions for his SEC West teams, and we're going to have a conversation. Instead of reading through capsules, we're gonna have a conversation about all fourteen teams in the SEC. That being said, we've done a bunch of other ones now, so go back and check those out if you haven't had a chance to already get yourself prepped for Week zero, which is apparently now more of a thing as we've got Florida and Miami this coming weekend.
Speaker 1: But also we should just point out very quickly we did two count them one two live shows this past weekend. The first was in Dallas, Texas at the Alba Draft House and the second was at Union Stage in Beautiful Washington, DC. A ton of fun to get out there, meet for ballers, do two days worth of fantasy things, which I think went over pretty well.
Speaker 2: So right, I would say, so, yeah, I had a blast. I know you had a blast. We were with Taylor, who did an incredible job for us producing the shows. The venues were great, the listeners were even better. My only not regret, but the only thing I wish had been a little bit different. I wish people had done the nerdiest thing possible and not just introduced themselves as like, Hey, I'm Trevor, I've listened to the show forever, really appreciate the show. I really wish they would have been like, Hi, I'm Armados on Reddit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I really wish they would have also given us you can't give away the handle, Dan, You know that you can't give away the handle. That's the thing. You can't give away the handle. If you want to be you know, a big time Internet.
Speaker 2: Or they're at a it's a live show, and I feel like that adding a handle to a name for whatever reason, Like we met Ken Greeley, not a handle, an actual name at the DC Show, and he's been a mainstay on social media and we've talked to him forever. It was great to meet him because I could put Oh face to the name. But for some people, I don't see faces, whether it's Twitter or Instagram or Reddit, and it would have been nice to still like here, I am, you know coach Oh's accent.
Speaker 1: Yea redditor. My name is Mike, but my Twitter avatar is Ernie from Sesame Street. Right.
Speaker 2: That makes it easier for socially inept people like you and I. It was a ton of next time do that people. It helps dumb people like me and Ty. It was a ton of fun. It was hectic, an awful lot of travel. Our intention is to put that show out at some point on Sunday. So what we'll be doing single mega show, right, Yeah, We'll be doing a single mega show both days smushed into one.
Speaker 1: On Sunday. We will be posting I believe a group of five preview ish or something on Tuesday morning.
Speaker 2: I think it'll be called group of dot dot dot five questions, and we will ask big questions and try to dive in as deep as we can regarding those questions.
Speaker 1: And then on Thursday morning, in time for everyone's commute, we'll have our week one preview as we get ready for the start of the college football season. Yeah, and maybe that'll be juggled a little bit.
Speaker 2: I don't know what your schedule is with the secret day job, since there are Thursday games and I think the thirst will be pretty unquenchable. We'll see if we can shift things around, but we're gonna do our best, all right.
Speaker 1: Don't forget. You can subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts or anywhere you can get your podcasts. Really, we're pretty much out there. You can also email sliverbal at gmail dot com. Look us up on social media Twitter, Facebook, Instagram. We've also got a subredit at reddit dot com slash our slash solid Verbal. That's where you can hang out with other forballers who like the show. They will be there all season long, They've been there all off season long as well. It's run by our good friend Peter over at the subreddit minimum and the.
Speaker 2: Subreddit and I saw that some of the people on the subreddit. We're trying to figure out if they live near each other because sometimes you don't want to watch college football alone and so maybe make some new.
Speaker 1: College football buddies.
Speaker 2: So if that's you, if you are looking for somebody, head over to the subreddit and figure out if you can meet some new college football pals.
Speaker 1: On that note, show we get rolling. Let's do that regular whoa. Let's close out with a little double foghorn, a little boat race to close things out. Yeah, as we said at the top, I am in charge of the SEC East. Daniel, you are the commissioner of the SEC West. I would have to start with you if I could. Let's go in my direction, Daniel, Let's start with LSU. LSU is kind of a whoa trendy pick this year. A lot of folks like LSU. They went nine to three well on the Fiesta Bowl over UCF, and they had a really good year. They had an offensive line that didn't put in the best showing, mind you, but they basically had to remix their whole offense on the fly to account for it. How confident are you now in twenty nineteen that that line is going to improve and they're not going to have to scheme around it.
Speaker 2: Pretty confident? But I think it's hard to separate scheming around it and the line itself. And you know, we've seen it on various levels where we're not positive how good the line actually is because of the system they're running. You know, on the biggest possible level, people seem to think the Patriots have a good offensive line in the NFL. But Tom Brady gets rid of the ball in half a second, So it doesn't matter how good or bad the line is. But with the way LSU runs an offense, and I tend to check this pretty often, tom Brady not the starter for the other That.
Speaker 1: Was going to be my question if Joe Burrow has assumed some Bradyish qualities.
Speaker 2: Not to my knowledge, happy to be wrong. So you are right, And overall last year it was a very very good year for LSU. Down day, I think it was at Florida, great win against Georgie. We all know they finished with that seven overtime wild loss to A and M. They obviously finished strong, also with a win in the bowl game against UCF. Offensively, my answer to your question about the offensive line, which has a good amount of promise inside tackles are still a decent size question. Is they hired Joe Brady, who comes over. He was an analyst for the Saints. He's now the passing game coordinator for LSU. And the thing that he has promised that ed Orzron has talked about Joe Brady bringing to LSU is that sort of quick passing game, you know, bringing in RPOs, getting rid of the ball quickly to mitigate any sort of issues that the offensive line may have, which is I think pretty good news. Joe Burrow struggled at times in big moments, fourth quarters and third downs were not his thing. He made plays in big moments, but consistently he had issues. He had issues, moments and issues, which is I think I bought that album in two thousand and three, very sad. More good news for the line is running back gets deeper. John Emery comes in intriguing five star true freshman, and there's a ton of talent out wide, so getting rid of the ball one seems like a great idea, and two the ball is going to I mean, we saw Justin Jefferson emerged last year, total dude. But there's a ton of talent at receiver, so I imagine that this is going to be a net positive if Joe Brady is who he says he is in terms of schemes, So I'm looking at the offensive line is less of an issue, and which is great news because very strong along the defensive line. They are getting healthier and much stronger at linebacker, good shape at corner. Even without Greedy Williams, Grant Delpit might be you know, if he's not the best defensive back in the country, he might be the best defensive player in the country at safety. They've recruited really well there, so you're right in focusing in on offensive line. Schedule wise, it is strange they go to Texas early.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at this now, this is a weird They do have that game against the Northwestern State Demons on week three. It looks like so you.
Speaker 2: Laugh at that they're going to be a Northwestern State breaking news, but the have Utah State and that's at the start of a Florida Starkville Auburn bye week. Tuscaloosa pretty significant October e November, and that Utah State game.
Speaker 1: They're going to probably win that game. I think you look ahead is what you're thinking. Open Jordan's love.
Speaker 2: That's a good team and I don't think they're gonna be what they were last year with Gary Anderson. But that's it's a trickier group of five game that LSU has not always gotten itself out of Troy. So yeah, I am. I am intrigued by LSU. I think best case scenario, offense improves, defense still looks good. They lose Tobama and one of Florida, Auburn A and m Mississippi State. They go ten and two. Worst case I think I don't think they can get worse than eight and four with what they bring back.
Speaker 1: Eight and four I think has got to be the floor here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's losing tight ones and the offense still has trouble running the ball. That's all I can see happening.
Speaker 1: All I really want to know is because of Joe Brady's now presence on this team, mar we allowed to call the wide receivers the Brady Bunch.
Speaker 2: If they prove a nick if they proved to be nickname worthy. Yes, you know, I wanted to throughout the question of the year. It's more of like we are shoehorning in the players to make the nickname happen because we love the nickname, rather than the players earning it. So let's let's wait on that. But I would be optimistic if I were an LSU fan and will know pretty quickly going to the Hornet's nest.
Speaker 1: That is dk R week two. So floor for you eight and four, your feeling ten and two.
Speaker 2: That's the best case scenario. Yeah, I think it's between eight and ten wins. We saw the close games last year. If they can pull those out once again, they're in a good place. They were, you know, they were what an overtime away from ten regular season wins last year. It's not unthinkable that they are right there again.
Speaker 1: They recruited well too. We'll see what they can do this year. Yeah. Ok, shocker, yeah, shocking. Where are we going next?
Speaker 2: So because you didn't start out as with the clear favorite, yeah in your conference or in your vision, let's go to Florida. Okay, let's go. Let's go to the Florida Gators. As I bring up the question that I came up with about Florida, my curiosity that I that I had a couple days ago, when I look at the Gators, they threw the ball in twenty eighteen. They win, they don't throw the ball, well, they don't win with the good of a full offseason and the bad of a new offensive line. How high and this is inspired by Michael Scott. How high can Felipe Franks fly?
Speaker 1: Okay? Well, So Florida went nine and three last year. It was a really good first year campaign for Dan Mullen as head coach at Florida. I think by and large, people were happy with that. I think it's likely that Felipe Franks takes another good step forward regardless. Regardless, he improved dramatically in yere one under Mullen, finished with something like twenty four touchdowns to six in or sevens. That was up dramatically from the previous year. Physically, we know he's got the tools. He's a big kid. I think the next step for him is some combination of better accuracy and decision making. And it did seem like he was on the right path last year. I do feel like he will improve regardless of the offensive line. That being said, if we could focus on the line for a second, you know, this offense as a whole doesn't have a whole lot of gaps. The line really is the thing to watch In many ways, this is one of the easier previews We're going to do this blurb. Here is what I found very ominous, and I stole this from the Athletics football preview for Florida. Quote Florida ended spring football with Mullin all but posting a quote help wanted sign outside the door of the offensive line room. After the spring game, Mullin said Florida was quote absolutely in the market for a grad transfer to help the offensive line. Yeah. Now look, I may not be the most talented X and O's guy, right, but that is generally not a good thing to hear. I understand he needs depth. I understand you could bring in a grad trance or they might need bodies. Yeah, but you need bodies. You need bodies, especially in the SEC where point of attack is everything. Otherwise the offense is loaded, the defense is loaded. My problem is the line. I think that has something of a limiting effect, as well as the schedule, because this team could be significantly better than last year and still finish with the same nine to three record. Have you seen the schedule. I have it in front of me right now. They open up. They open up this weekend against Miami in Orlando. That will be a tough game, especially given the fact that Florida has some deficiency along that offensive line, and that does happen to be one of Miami strengths. M h. I don't think Miami wins, but that matchup in particular could post for an interesting site for college of ball.
Speaker 2: I'm seeing the spread as and I'm not putting you on the spot in a picking because I don't think you've deep dived the specific matchups in this. But I'm singing about Florida favored by a touchdown seven and a half somewhere in that ring. That feels about right to me, and it hasn't really moved a lot. That feels about right to me.
Speaker 1: I would be inclined to go Florida if only because you know it's a neutral site game, so I think that's pretty much a watch. But Florida just has more coming back that I feel confident about, and they don't have a brand new starting quarterback. Correct, But that's neither here nor there. Here is the schedule. Florida against Miami neutral sider in Orlando this weekend, and then to close out the year, they're at home against Florida State, long time rival. In between, they've got road games at Kentucky at LSU at South Carolina at MISSOO. They've also got the big neutral site game against Georgia. I'm sure there are other teams a missing, but you get the point. This is a very difficult schedule if you looked at it from start to finish and try to work out in your head where are the wins, where are the easy wins, where the losses and the close losses. Nine to three feels about right to me, even though I do think Florida is going to improve on a number of different fronts this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the up and down recruiting of Jimmackawain will hurt a little bit this year in terms of death, I think a lot of the frontline starters, especially on defense, are comparable to where Florida has been. There's higher level draft type talent, but it's the rotation, guys. It's if somebody goes down where I think there's going to be more drop off than usual. So hopefully, for that sake, Florida stays healthy. I think you're right to be concerned with the line, especially with it being such a make or break seeming year for Felipe Franks, with the talent he has around them, they have good receivers. They you know, they're deep at running back. There's a lot to like about this Florida team, especially with Dan Mullen running things. I'm worried that the cocktail of and this is almost similar to Joe Burrow of a dubious line and Felipe Franks sit situationally in big moments against the better teams, he really struggled. And I'm looking at the top one hundred passers on third down last season and he's not on the list. He is not one of the top one hundred passers. His rating was one hundred even, which is not at all good. And he completed forty four percent of his third down throws. So that to me is the major jump in Felipe Franks. What does he do as they get to midfield and they're down three in the middle of the third quarter where it seems meaningless, but ultimately they need those drives to give the defense rest and to put pressure on opposing defenses. That's huge to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean we've had this conversation about Felipe Frank's time and again, is he good? Is he not good? Last year he was better, and I think he's watch the part as they slay. Absolutely, he's got all the tools physically to be very very good. Hopefully another year under Dan Mohen will help him get there. That would only serve to benefit the Florida Gators.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yeah, I think they're close. You mentioned the Miami game. They have Tennessee at home. They're looking to avenge the Kentucky loss. They're going to Lexington for that, Auburn at home. They're They're in the Bayo at LSU. South Carolina is a road game. Obviously Georgia's neutral site, but Florida State is at home. So not perfect. The Miszoo game, I think is secretly really difficult, But all in all it seems to even out in terms of in terms of trickiness.
Speaker 1: I would say, why don't we go to Miszoo next? You got a Missoo question? Handy you? No? I do?
Speaker 2: I love me some Miszoo sort of love me except for the biggest story about Missoo. I love all of the peripherals except for the nucleus. So the clear question to everybody and to me is is Kelly Bryant good enough Clemson quarterback transfer to make a good Miszoo program that should have been nine and three last year because they won that Kentucky game.
Speaker 1: Whatever, I don't care, don't talk to me. Are they are they? Is he good nough to make a good team? Really good? To me?
Speaker 2: He seems stuck in traffic between Great Backupville and Good starter Town?
Speaker 1: Good starter Town?
Speaker 2: Huh, Yeah, I don't think he's quite a it's the the Britney Spears song. It's I'm not a girl yet not a woman? Great Backupville, Good Starter Town? Where is he on that? On that interstate?
Speaker 1: All right? Well, first off, not to bury the lead here, Miszoo can't play in the postseason. They got they cannot excuse me, they got a two year postseason ban back at the end of January. So yeah, even if Miszoo has a miracle season, and honestly it might not be that much of a stretch that it occurs, but even if they were to go on and win the SEC East, they can't play in that conference championship game. All right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that a suitor, dude, a tutor did too much academic.
Speaker 1: Tutin correct, too much too him. That being said, I think, I think, and I'm hedging a little bit. Okay, as long as Kelly Bryant is just a submidge closer to good starter town. I think that bowes really well from a Zoo dan he's got. There are a number of reasons externally to believe he can be He can be an efficient passer. I think he's shown that he hasn't always been the most consistent, but he's shown moments of brilliance moments of great efficiency from his time at Clemson. I think he's got good enough wide receivers out wide. He also adds a dimension with his legs that you would think would give the running game a boost. And it should already be a pretty good running game, by the way, because of Larry Rowntree, the third, who had a great second half of the season last year and really came into his own. The line in front of all of them is extremely extremely experienced. There's a lot to be excited about about the Miszoo offense, and I would not want to sleep on them as a team. That you could get to ten wins, I think it's entirely possible. I don't know if it happens, but I'm looking at the schedule here, Miszoo could very easily start off eight to zero before they get to Georgia in November. I think it's all there for them if they want it. The problem that they have to overcome is twofold. Really. First off, they got to find a way to rush to the ambassador. I don't know if you saw the numbers on them last year, but one oh eight in the nation in sacrate. Yeah, and you just you gotta do better than that. I don't know if they find a way to get kill Garrett more involved, but there's only so much one linebacker can do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and sacreate doesn't tell an entire story. Obviously, there are there are hurries they are forcing into bad throws that are interceptions. There are all sorts of things that are productive that don't get registered in sacks. But it's a starting point. That was where Missou's defensive line was for all of those years. That's a pretty big come down.
Speaker 1: And the second thing that I would point out, and this isn't really a tangible thing, but I was really struck by after reading all the previews about Missouri football, how many fans, how many writers you name it, talked about just this seeming like jinks of the Tiger football program. Oh yeah, fifth down. For sure. It's very strange and unless you go in and read about it, it might not be a parent. But there is sort of like this old English like woe is me quality with the Missouri football program. They're afraid that they're going to do something stupid. I hope this is not the year because I really like Missouri's talent. I think they're outstanding. Barry Odom's done a great job. He's had an immediate impact on that defense in his time there. Despite some ups and downs, this is a really good football team. Might only be third best in the SEC East, but that's saying something. I'm going to go right in the middle, Dan, I'm going to say nine and three. I think it's either between. I think it's either between ten and two and eight and four. And I'm more inclined to go right in the middle and say nine and three For this team. I think they're very good.
Speaker 2: I don't know how much you talked about this, but their schedule rules.
Speaker 1: The schedule's great. Eight No, right, look at the schedule at their first take keep no, yeah, before they played Georgia on I want to say November the ninth. Yeah, those are eight winnable games. Dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have both sides of the Neil Brown. So they have West Virginia and Troy. So Troy with a new coach, West Virginia with a new coach. They go to Laramie, which is not the easiest thing in the world, but Missoo should bet Wyoming. Yes, the house South Carolina. They host New Ole Miss. They traveled to Vandy. It's always great to travel to Vandy. You get to you get to win, and you get to go to Nashville. Kentucky on the road. I'm not penciling in anything. That was a strange game last year, and I think Kentucky should still have a pretty good defense. Georgia on the road's tough, and they get Florida, who they just ran away from last year, and Tennessee at home before finishing in Fayetteville. That is a lovely, lovely fall if you're a Miszoo fan, no matter the postseason ban, and I know they're still trying to appeal it. I believe my question as we go as it goes back to Kelly Bryant with good receivers, good running back, maybe the best or I think pretty clearly the best tight end in the conference in Big Albert. Oh oh yeah, how much do you look into missoo or how much you look into Kelly Bryant when you see what Clemson was able to do with Trevor Lawrence with the overwhelming majority of the Trevor Lawrence experience being Well, he's a transformational quarterback. Of course, he's leading a very good offense. But when Kelly Bryant was leading that offense with many of the same pieces, with this incredible receiving corps and deep running backs and experience line, they were significantly behind. That's true where twenty eighteen was true. I can't put that all on Trevor Lawrence being sensational. And it came to bear when when Clemson was playing some of the better teams on their schedule that culminated with Alabama.
Speaker 1: Well, look, that has me worried. It's a fair point. In it's a contraction. Yeah, it's a fair point. I suppose it's why Kelly Bryant transferred to not Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I then why Trevor Lawrence felt pretty good about showing up in Clemson exactly.
Speaker 1: So there you go. I'll go nine to three four miszoom hope he has a good year. Hope he does. All right, let me ask you a question here, I'm ready. I want to talk about Alibat. Okay, they went fourteen to zero before their secondary got scorched three hundred and forty seven yards Daniel against the chosen one, Trevor Lawrence. That's not the norm for Nick Saban. Right, we can agree on that much. Yeah, take take take How how deeply do you read into that performance? And do you think at all it might be predictive of what we see this year in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: No, and I'll I think you are honing in and I'm going to as well on the secondary specifically, if there's any one thing with a full roster of coaches being turned over year over year that you can count on, it's that Nick Saban's Alabama secondary, when healthy and when stocked as he would prefer, is going to be a strength. All you can really do, and we've talked about this at the ad nauseum, all you can really do to take advantage of the Alabama secondary is have three incredible and tall receivers that can win fifty to fifty battles downfield, and a quarterback who is fearless enough to keep going to those guys, and there have been like four of those guys total in the last decade quarterback wise, and with those groups of receivers so short of that which it appears their entire schedule is in the regular season anyway, I think their secondary is going to be fine.
Speaker 1: They're healthier.
Speaker 2: Trevon Diggs hurts his foot last year and he's out for a number of games they have. It's certain patchwork is too extreme a term, but they were putting guys in there that were a definite tick below the talent level that Alabama's used to in the secondary. And I think with the upperclassmen who have been rotation guys in years past, and being healthier, you know, whether it's Xavier McKinney or Travon Diggs, they're going to be in a great, great place. The pass rush should be very good and healthier. We saw those linebackers go down last year. So the combination of a healthier pass rush, the experience in the secondary. Nick Saban being their de facto defensive back coach, and here's the list of quarterbacks. Quintin Harris promising a duke not terribly worried right now. Jake Bentley, Matt Carral, Kellen Mond, who I do like Kellen Mond's receivers. Jered Guarantano, I like his receivers more than I think I like him. Joe Burrow kind of the same. Whoever starts at Mississippi State. It's still a battle at the time of this recording. Tommy Stevens and Keton Thompson sure, and Bo Nix with decent but not killer receivers at Auburn. So that cocktail I think has enough so pass rush improvement, health experience, and those quarterbacks they're going to be fine. They're going to be totally fine there. I don't have a big place of concern other than miscommunication. Another year of like a full slate, new staff. Dylan Moses is sliding inside full time at linebacker. Raekwon Davis is a name everybody knows. They have just a ridiculous defensive line class coming in. They lose a couple of big names at offensive line, but there's still a good amount of starting experience there. And then they have the best receiving core in the sec SO and the best quarterback.
Speaker 1: I'm curious about running back.
Speaker 2: Naj Harris is the guy now, and Tray Sanders looked like he was gonna be the backup number one running back in the country as a recruit.
Speaker 1: He hurts his foot. He's out for the year, so they.
Speaker 2: Don't quite have the Harris Ranch situation that they had recently. But that is the ultimate nitpick. Alabama does not have to me a glaring problem anywhere. Give me ten seconds on two a tongue of ilol, because here's why. Yeah, if we do the Alabama preview without mentioning him by name, yeah that's fair, there will be angry Alabama fans, and perhaps with good reasons.
Speaker 1: So ten seconds. Yeah, starting in three two go.
Speaker 2: I'm never super thrilled with Sark being back in control, and I really like the combination of Locksley and Gaddis last year. I don't think there's gonna be a big step back. I just think it'll be different. He'll be fine. Best case everything clicks twelve and zero. Worst case depth behind him not great. I still see them winning double digit games even if two US not there. He's Heisman Heisman Heisman caliber.
Speaker 1: All right, let me give you another one here. Yeah, while we're on the subject, you did mention Bo Nicks. I think Knicks is now officially the starting quarterback at Auburn. Gus Malson made the announcement. It did seem like Joey Gatewood was more the kind of running quarterback that you're used to seeing under Malson, but he decides to go with Nix. Also a duel threat kid, maybe a better passer, more of a newcomer for sure. What do we expect now knowing that he is the starter? What does that look like as we move forward into twenty nineteen? Is it better than what we saw last year?
Speaker 2: I think it'll be better, but not necessarily because of him specifically, because the big offseason talking point has been Gus Malson has reclaimed control of the Auburn offense, and he did so in the the Music City Bowl against Purdue, and we saw Jared Stidham totally come out of the funk that he seemed to be in during the regular season and put up a bajillion points on what I can only assume is an amazing Purdue defense. Bo Nicks is going to be good for Auburn. Will he be full on good this year? I think at times, I think it's a tough ask for a true freshman to go in Even with him, I think he was five star, number one dual threat bloody blah. I think he has a pretty high ceiling. I think that much is clear as a dual threat, as a passer, if Gus Malson feels better about him than somebody with a little more experience and physically in a better place, because I think bo Nicks is about six' one two, hundred solid but not. Huge not you, Know Cam Newton sidon was a disappointment last, year and that concerns me a little bit about Bon. Nicks with all of the experience That jaredstidham, had they were off putting together longer, drives they did not generate big. Plays and Now Anthony schwartz, THERE i think he's considered be like the fastest man in college football at. Receiver he runs track For auburn as. Well believe he hurt his hands early. On he might be out or. Limited the defense was really really good up front last, year and they may have the best defensive line in THE sec this.
Speaker 1: Year but.
Speaker 2: Linebackers enough of a question to me THAT i am worried that the offense is going to have to outscore. Teams they're in decent shape behind the linebackers in the. Secondary the schedule is not. Great they Have oregon week, one who should have a good. Defense they travel To College station to take ON a AND. M they go To, gainesville they go To Baton, rouge and obviously they Have george And alabama as they.
Speaker 1: Do oh at least those games are at.
Speaker 2: Home their upper upper limit to me is getting breaks fifty to fifty lock with the true freshman quarterback and Bo. NIX i lean towards nine and, three BUT i can understand everything's on the table every year With, auburn and So i'll say ten and two is the best case. Scenario oh, YEAH i do like a. Year they flip flop every, year SO i can't fully defend. It but when you have the combination Of i'm not gonna say quarterback and, defense when you have a combination of the guys on the defensive, Line Derek, Brown Marlon, davidson you, Know Derek brown's All, american top TEN nfl pick. Caliber so when you have that kind of disruptive potential At auburn with you, know the good version Of gus malson, Offense Gus malson's.
Speaker 1: Offense it's hard to ignore that.
Speaker 2: Ceiling So i'll say ten and two if everything breaks right with the true freshman.
Speaker 1: Quarterback worst case is seven and five more of the.
Speaker 2: Same you, know you have the dangerous defensive, line but you still can't run consistently like they couldn't With Booby whitlow last. Year they lose the close, ones and you, know frustration mounts on the. PLANES i think there's more variability in their final win loss. Record so you do you think they could go all the way down to what?
Speaker 1: Five? No, NO i think you've got it. RIGHT i think ten and two sixty, Okay AND i think that's a pretty good, disparity BUT i do like. It you also bring up two things, that in light of Our Fantasy Things, draft we should put on the lists for next, year because you'll remember we started this year's list right after we got done doing last year's. Show two very important. THINGS a the player that runs track and it's just a he.
Speaker 2: Does, Okay i'm actually literally looking this up right. Now Anthony schwartz appears to run track For, auburn and in this still picture he looks very.
Speaker 1: Fast the player that runs track and also the coach who either gives away or takes back control of the offense and play. Calling. Ah track, Speed, yeah that's the. Phrase track. Speed all? Right add it in. There you got. It where are we going? Next let's go To. Georgia let's do.
Speaker 2: It let's go To georgia just because they are more interesting than the attention or lack thereof that they've. Received to, Me, okay my general assumption is That jake From plus just out.
Speaker 1: Of this world recruiting and recent.
Speaker 2: Results you, know they are a bad fake punt away from perhaps winning THE sec championship last. Year it means that a double coordinator replacement slash promotion shouldn't be a huge deal more of the. Same can you confirm or deny that After Jim cheney Goes tennessee as offense coordinator At meltucker To colorado as their head, COACH.
Speaker 1: I will confirm on defense With. Meltucker, okay AND i will neither confirm nor deny on. Offense. Ah here's why the ultimate pr mode it Is meltucker defensive coordinator went To colorado's head. Coach Kirby smart Promotes Dan lanning from. Within he's never been a defensive coordinator. Before, Right in a lot of cases that might be. Bothersome in this, One i'm okay with it Because kirby always has a hand in the defense. Anyway. Hmm like they'll be. Fine Where i'm a little bit more concerned is on. Offense Jim cheney goes To. Tennessee he's a new offensive coordinator For Jeremy, pruett and Again kirby smart promotes from. Within he gives a job To James. Coley now do you Remember James coley from his time At. Miami mm. Hmm he was on the Stafford georgia last. Year, yeah that's stint At. Miami, yeah that stint With miami from twenty thirteen to twenty fifteen had very mixed, results very mixed. Results and the other thing THAT i read kind of as like the cherry on top of whatever CONCERN i might already, have they apparently want to be more pass heavy this, year which makes, sense it, does but it doesn't why because you Got jake from was one of the best quarterbacks in the Nation Demeitor's. Robertson it doesn't because you've basically got an entirely new wide receiving. Corps, yeah doesn't mean somebody can't step, up but it really is an area of unknown, quantity unknown. Promise right, now we don't know what we have at the wide receiver position For. GEORGIA i assume they'll be, good but can they carry a more pass happy. LOAD i don't. Know and the other reason it doesn't make sense is because if you look at What georgia has coming. Back, sure they've got an all world everything quarterback And jake from but they're really good along that offensive line and they're loaded in the. Backfield so one thing THAT i was saying to people as we were doing our live shows and as folks came up afterwards to talk About Notre dame And georgia and all things college, football WHAT i fear When Notre dame Plays georgia is That georgia is just gonna run up the. Gut. Yeah they they've got the manpower to do. It it's an area of weakness the spine of that defense For Notre. DAME i WOULD i think there are a lot of other teams outside Of Notre dame That georgia could just do that. Too they could run the ball forty five times and go ten and. Two So i'm very. CURIOUS i don't know HOW i feel About James. Coley he's got more talent now On georgia than he did With, miami and that will no doubt play a. Factor but if in fact they veer too much away from a ground game THAT i think would be really good With DeAndrea swift And Zamir white and who knows whoever, else and try to work it in or force feed it to a brand new wide receiving corps could. WORK i JUST i don't feel as confident in that.
Speaker 2: Does What georgia lost both coaching, wise offensive, wise with big names out, Wide with what they lost and What florida has, RETAINED i guess is that a closer? Game like do you see these teams as being closer as programs because of you, know the natural attrition and changes to their programs With Dan mullen having another year that in that, seat And, georgia you, know finally having to deal with something that major programs have to deal, with which is other teams wanting their coaches and you know they're good players leaving.
Speaker 1: EARLY i, mean maybe, MARGINALLY i still feel like the gap Between georgia And florida is is is pretty wide And Dan mullen got off to a really good. Start But georgia has been recruiting gangbusters Since Kirby smart got. There, yeah SO i feel pretty good about them with every, position really a ton of. Talent the defensive line is no. Exception they just need to play. Better not to be too, unscientific but they got some new, faces they got a. Gel last year's run defense wasn't, great gave up over four yards of. Carry that's something THAT i think they can improve. Upon and really the same story with their defensive. Backfield, again a ton of, talent just need to step up their, game take it to the next. Level even marginal improvement will make them a, much, much much better defensive. Unit SO i really Like. Georgia i'm all in On. GEORGIA i have questions about what this offense looks. LIKE i have questions about who ends up stepping, up if somebody can step up out, wide and you know what that defense is going to look like on the front end and back. End these are medium sized, questions you, know if we've got a gigantic question About kentucky or you, Know, missouri, WHOEVER i don't have a question quite of that magnitude for The Georgia bulldogs because they're going to be just. Fine they're the odds on favorite to win THE Sec. EAST i think they will win THE Sec east because they've got an incredible stable of football players coming back in twenty.
Speaker 2: Nineteen, yeah early, On i'm going to pay attention to the first, month month and a half two situational numbers For. Georgia they were they were good on third, down but not particularly good in the red.
Speaker 1: Zone last.
Speaker 2: Year you, know Maybe James coley is an improvement with play calling when it gets. Close georgia was not particularly good either in the red zone, Defensively maybe it's a situation we're getting in new, eyes fresh ideas is a good thing For georgia as they try to get over the, top and it's really just a matter of not dumping a game against a good team during the season and getting over The alabama hump in the postseason if it comes to.
Speaker 1: That, okay where do you want to go?
Speaker 2: Next this, team to me is crazy intriguing just because of progress not necessarily. Ceiling the past couple of. Years tennessee and their defense has been below average and their offense on the, whole real.
Speaker 1: Bad real.
Speaker 2: Bad but this year they have a workable non conference schedule and most of their tough games are in one. Stretch so which side do you see between offense and defense making a more noticeable? JUMP i guess so that'd be the defense to above average or the offense to h sometimes.
Speaker 1: COMPETENT i think the answer here is. Offense they need to stay healthy along the, line which was a. Problem But Jared guarantano they've got the backfield only a only a, junior which is, amazing has found a. Wormhole M a backfield led By Todd, chandler who was pretty good last. YEAR a wide receiving corps led By Marquez callaway And Juwan. JENNINGS i think there is so much room to improve on that side of the football that may not exist on The defensi's, side primarily because there's turnover the. Defense if you really look at, it it gets stronger the farther back you. Go up, front they lose four guys at. Linebacker they've recruited really, well but they're still trying to build depth and in the defensive. Backfield that's the real teeth of their defense where they've got four returning, starters Including Bryce, thompson the Freshman All World. Everything from last, Year tennessee went five and seven a year. Ago in looking at their schedule now knowing what they have coming, back what do you think is their upper? Ceiling they should be a bowl.
Speaker 2: Team they should be six and, six seven and, FIVE i think Mel, YEAH i think they should be flirting with that at the very.
Speaker 1: Least, see they've got a road game At, florida they're home Against. Georgia they're At, bama which is never, easy and they're At Kentucky. Annual, yeah and they're At kentucky which we'll talk About kentucky in a little, bit but tricky. Game. Right, SO i don't know HOW i feel about This tennessee. Team they're primed to take a step forward in many, respects but in many others they're still building Under Jeremy. PRUETT i liked that they played hard last. Year and you, Know i've said this about a bunch of teams, previously AND i know you make fun of me almost every TIME i do. It but when a team comes out there and plays, hard that tells me that they're buying in to what the coach is selling. Them if you get enough buy, in that's how you show. Growth we would you say that that would make them champions of? Life it, would it would make them closer to being champions of. Life, okay effort for. Sure, Yeah SO i like the direction of the program at the. Moment but THE Sec east as a whole has gotten better this, year AND i JUST i still think they're kind of a bit away from being to the point where they're. Competitive they could scare the Be jesus oided people. Though.
Speaker 2: Yeah and the other team they have in The west Is Mississippi, state who should be real, good especially on defense after putting up a you, know a top ten national defense last. Year even with what they, lose there's a lot Of so It's Georgia STATE Byu. Chattanooga let's assume the best Of tennessee exists those first three weeks of the.
Speaker 1: Season they start out three and.
Speaker 2: Zero after, That, Florida, Georgia Mississippi, State alabama on the. Road the bell weather to me is going to Be South. Carolina they've lost three. STRAIGHT i believe UH to will must champion the Game, cocks and if they are in a place where they have turned a. Corner they should Beat South carolina at. HOME i think it's Around halloween and then THE Uab they finished tough At, kentucky tough At miszoo and A vandy game that they should be over this hump by.
Speaker 1: Now South CAROLINA i think is they're poised About. Edward, yeah they think they're ready to do great. THINGS i Think will Musch champs said they're going to accomplish things Of South carolina program has never accomplished.
Speaker 2: Before, yeah they lost that game close last Year tennessee and then comfortably lost To miszoo And vandy to finish out the season last. Year very nice win Against kentucky THAT i know got both of our hopes a little higher than perhaps they should have been In november for the. Balls but, YEAH i imagine The Jim cheney thing offensive. Consultants we call him that for a. REASON i think he gets hr in. Order shipping is going to be a lot more. Efficient everything's going to be happening in a positive way For tennessee's offense that wasn't before good, enough, sure BUT i think it's going to be in the right.
Speaker 1: Direction they'll be in a BALL i, agree let's move. ON i want to talk About Mississippi. State, OH i can't believe you went. There i'm so excited since you brought it. Up first, Off is it safe And i'm assuming it isn't because of what you said in the? Open, yeah is it safe to assume That Tommy stevens is going to be the?
Speaker 2: STARTER i think? So, like what, again we're recording this you put on that seventy.
Speaker 1: Three, Okay.
Speaker 2: Quarterback Has diffinitently you Mentioned florida saying we're open to grad. Transfers different at, quarterback AND i understand The Tate martell thing At miami that just because you transferred to a school and are eligible doesn't necessarily mean you're. Starting But Joe moore had knew what he had In Keithon thompson pretty, clearly and to bring In Tommy, stevens who doesn't have a lot of time to, play is kind of a. MESSAGE i know he's recruited well at. Quarterback there's some, young intriguing talent, there but it feels like he wants to take advanceage of the talent on hand on offense as much as. Possible and that didn't necessarily mean, yeah we're just next guy. Up he's the guy Because Nick fitzgerald was the guy last. Year and it doesn't give ME i, Know Keithon thompson has, HURT i know the injury. Issues it doesn't give me a great deal of confidence that the best guy for the job last year was the worst quarterback in THE. Sec so it makes me think That Tommy stevens is going to be the guy. Now both of these guys have not proven anything in terms of no consistent high level, play so that's. Worrisome BUT i think either one of these guys will be in a good.
Speaker 1: Position they.
Speaker 2: Had the receivers are, Back they've got big dudes. There the line is in pretty good, shape really Like Kylon hill in the. Backfield defense should BE i, MEAN i really like this. Defense even Without Montes sweat And Jeffrey simmons. GONE i, think you, know there's enough talent inside along the defensive. Line linebackers in a great. Place excuse me With Errol. Thompson they're replacing starters in the, secondary especially at, safety but there's, good good options there with. Experience so you're right to, say is quarterback the biggest? Question because, yes it obviously is a.
Speaker 1: Second please do here's HOW i know you're drinking That Mississippi state col. Brew oh my, GOSH i definitely am you. Are you are sipping That Mississippi state cole. Brew. Yep you didn't even let me ask the second part of my. Question, oh what's the second part of your? QUESTION i was JUST i, Know, dan it's. Okay we're all friends. Here. Fair the question, is if we assume with seventy three percent certainty That Tommy stevens is going to be your starting quarterback In Mississippi, state do you have more questions about the quarterback position with him in charge or the pieces around him other than the quarterback in your two who's.
Speaker 2: Going to be shoveling the Ball Tommy stevens if he's the one taking the, snap that's a pretty big.
Speaker 1: Question.
Speaker 2: Yeah the secondary concerns me BECAUSE i, think, oh this is going to do a good job and we'll get to. That even though they're not.
Speaker 1: Going to be.
Speaker 2: GOOD i think they're going a good job throwing the. Ball alabama's going to do a good job throwing the. BALL i think Tex a AND m is going to do a good job throwing the. Ball so the secondary is an issue to. Have Jonathan abram back there like he was last year and not there this.
Speaker 1: Year it's a big. Deal it's a big deal to not have.
Speaker 2: That i'm confident In bob SHOP i think he's a very good defensive.
Speaker 1: COORDINATOR i think we'll get things figured.
Speaker 2: Out but with the quarterbacks That Mississippi state has on their, schedule, Yeah i'm a little concerned with that. SECONDARY i definitely am and they don't have. Them they're not going to have the pass rush that they had last. Year so, yeah that's the secondary is the secondary concern for. Me the best case to me is that their very bad quarterback play ascends to average BECAUSE i don't think the ceiling is particularly high for either one of these. Guys the defense doesn't drop off a, lot and they go nine and, three nine and Three joe. Moorehead worst, CASE i think is seven and. Five there's just too much there coming back and experienced and have won and hung in big, games not to everything doesn't fully come. Together BUT i think the variance is seven to nine.
Speaker 1: Wins let me stay in The Great state Of mississippi IF i. Could, Yeah Matt, luke your, boy. HMM i don't know where that came, from BUT i, mean, sure why? Not he seems okay five and seven last year at Ole, miss and in the off season went out he Hired Rich Rodriguez mike McIntyre trying a little bit of a. Reboot dan feels a little bit like The homer at The bad episode Where Darryl strawberry And Mike soosha And wade bog just show. Up, yeah ready to make magic Love Wade. Box which of these two, Guys Rich Rodriguez mike McIntyre do you think has the most immediate?
Speaker 2: Impact SO i went Through Ole miss position by position group and tried to figure out where they were. Stronger you know What rich rod offenses have looked, like What mike McIntyre defenses have looked, Like where they've thrived position group, Wise and it seems pretty obvious to me that it's going to be offense And rich just because he has been successful, everywhere even with quarterbacks new to his system that have been young As matt Corral. Is marel did look pretty good by the way last year in limited spot duty when nothing was really on the, line but looked pretty good athletic through a nice. BALL i Like Scotti phillips as a running.
Speaker 1: Back he has.
Speaker 2: Upside there's a lot of youth at, receiver but blue chip type. Receivers the line's pretty. Green BUT i Think Rich rodick can do a pretty good job of mitigating things like, that just with, scheme my notes for the defense and What mike McIntyre has here after you, know speeding through a bunch of Ole miss games on deep on the defensive side of the ball and looking at some of the numbers and reminding, myselves reminding myself they're moving to a three to. Four there's experience up, front but not that. Good and then LINEBACKER i have written down here there are humans, here and then for DEFENSIVE i have written there are also humans. Here there are players who will wear uniforms and will go to certain parts of the field in which they are assigned at linebacker and defensive. Back but the talent is too far away for Ole miss to feel anything About mike McIntyre's defense in year. One So i'm gonna say offense to that by, Default, yeah by default, schedule we're gonna see a lot of. Points THEY i think they travel To. Memphis they have a Cal alabama one, two which is very funny and. Unique they have a by sandwich between TEXTS a AND m and traveling to the planes and then a buy sandwich BETWEEN lsu and The Egg, bowl which is on the road this. Year SO i don't. Know they could start four and, zero win some, shootouts sneak up on you, know somebody with a little more balance on, offense six and, six seven and. FIVE i don't think THEY i don't think they're gonna be worse than four and eight because the offense should be. Better this is kind of uneven last, year but, YEAH i think it's at Best bowl Flirtation bowl.
Speaker 1: Flirtation, okay, yeah and it's Rich. Trot the answer is rich. Trot give me some of that Sec East, Love, DAN i would love to.
Speaker 2: Ty thanks for asking you WHY i talk About South carolina doing About. KENTUCKY i went To South. Carolina but let's start With South, carolina all. Right South carolina a fun team in that they played lots of fun. Games they were crazy, competitive you, know winning by four losing by three every, week and that was generally because the offense was clearly, improved with turnovers that were horribly, timed it, seemed and a defense that took a pretty significant step back which WAS i think a good reason was. Injuries and so hopefully the you, know injuries build depth thing comes through For South. Carolina So South carolina at full operating, capacity healthier and less mistake. Prone are the Game cocks being slept on as not An East crown type team but a real danger to everybody in The?
Speaker 1: East good? Question, Yeah, YEAH i. DO i THINK i think they're being slept on as a dangerous, team but not one that will win The. East AND i think the, primary the primary reason for that is because of the brutal, schedule which we'll we'll talk about. Voluntarily it's. Nuts that's ultimately going to limit. Them but, specifically if you look At South carolina six and five last, year because that had that one game. Canceled M. H if they can cut down on the turnovers on offense they had twenty one last. Year that some of that's bad. Luck some of that some of that's bad, luck but that's just a. Lot it's not all. Luck Jake bentley threw fourteen, picks that was the most in THE. Sec some bad, luck, yes not all bad. Luck that's a lot of. Picks, Yeah so if he can JUST i don't, know cut that back a little bit, somehow some way that gives you more, drives that gives you better scoring, potential it makes your offense. Better i'd start. There to, me it's a leap that they're going to fix it all in one off, season even if they get marginally. BETTER i don't think it's something that you can fix. Overnight so that is SOMETHING i will be watching right from the jump With South. Carolina the bright spot on offense, though is that the line looks really good and that can. Help that can help with not only moving the, football but obviously keeping the football with you when you have.
Speaker 2: It Added Tavian, Feaster, yes a deeper. Backfield, Yeah SO i.
Speaker 1: Like the line AND i really Like South carolina as a. WHOLE i like what they have coming. Back you mentioned about the injuries building, depth and nowhere is that more prevalent than on, defense because the injury bug For South carolina last year was super. Problematic the, injuries you would assume are going to build some depth now because a lot of the younger guys they did get. Experience that should help this. SEASON i have real questions about the, secondary, though because they're really young back. There they're gonna have to figure it out pretty. Quickly but all in, ALL i like this. TEAM i really like this. Team it's just the schedule from The. West they Draw alabama and a road game AGAINST a AND. M they close out the year at home Against. Clemson they're also on the road At georgia And tennessee and then they then they Get florida at. Home there are other games in, There dan that we could, mention but those are the ones that jumped out at. ME i don't care how much talent you. Have they have App. State they have App, state which is they have App state before they go to college.
Speaker 2: STATION i mean THAT'S i don't think they're gonna look, ahead even though App state has a new, Coach but that's not anywhere near like all, right late in the, season we'll throw somebody in there as like a guppy before we finish WITH a AND m And.
Speaker 1: Clemson now that's a real team, team. Yea so my point here, is much like we discussed With, florida this is a team that could improve by leaps and bounds and still have a suboptimal. Record maybe they won't go six and, five six and. Six maybe it's only seven and five or eight and, Four but they're a.
Speaker 2: Danger if they're a significant, danger they should win eight. Games now that schedules, rough but schedule's. Brutal they will get somebody they're gonna. Get should they? Beat who should they? Beat if they are quote unquote a significant danger to everybody they? Play they were not that last. Year i'm pulling up the schedule. Here, yeah so they should Beat North Carolina Mac brown year. One, yeah, agree. Agreed should they Beat Charleston. Southern, Yes i'm gonna say.
Speaker 1: So, yes.
Speaker 2: You're not a significant danger if you get killed By, alabama but that's.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Sure they should probably Beat maszoo on the road if they're a significant. Danger if they're a significant, DANGER i would agree with that Because mazoo is at that point where they're a significant.
Speaker 1: Danger.
Speaker 2: Right, yes this. Season oh, man this is gonna be such a good. Movie significant danger Star Jake. Bentley they should Be kentucky if they're they should Beat kentucky if, again, qualifier if they are that significant. Threat they're not Against. Georgia they're not in. It they were not in it last. Year they should be in it Against. Georgia if they are a significant, DANGER.
Speaker 1: I think they lose To, florida but keep it. Close, okay they should again by by a little hypothetical, here Beat tennessee on the, road Beat, dandy beat Our, STATE a AND. M i could go either. WAY i. DON'T i don't at least hang WITH a AND, m hang with and probably lose To. Clemson Right, so in and of, itself that's like what eight and FOUR i.
Speaker 2: Think, so, yeah you can Excuse, George alabama And, clemson and then you're throwing a loss against Whoever, FLORIDA.
Speaker 1: A AND.
Speaker 2: M but eight and four means, That, Wow, okay at eight and four hanging and, winning they just they. Can't they can't let somebody run away from. Them that's all it is to. Me they have to be week in week, out because that offense really did when it was, rolling and they didn't shoot themselves in the. Foot we're talking about a team who threw On clemson. IMPRESSIVELY i wouldn't go as far as saying, hanging but they hung for a long time Against.
Speaker 1: Clemson that's.
Speaker 2: True they put fifty on a battle miss. Team they Beat tennessee, again they lost last second TO a AND. M they did not look competitive Against kentucky and so really just looking better Against, georgia Beating kentucky and hanging with some of the other teams they hung With, Florida that to me is significant danger and that to me is an. Improvement And florida had to come back to win that game last. Year so no more giving away those fifty to fifty.
Speaker 1: Types all, right give me some of that Sweet kentucky love, Here. Dan All.
Speaker 2: Right So kentucky had a magical season last, year and that season benefited from having probably the country's most gravitational pass rusher In Josh, allen and had a great secondary behind. Him it's a terrific combination and an offense that could generally count On Benny snell to carry to carry a load that the passing, game to, me could. Not so if we're to assume the best way For kentucky to win again this year to look comparable to last year is finding a way to replicate this. Strategy do you believe in the new guys who are going to have to be the new versions of Secondary Josh, Allen Benny, snell? Whoever BECAUSE i don't think you're super high On Terry, wilson but Maybe i'm.
Speaker 1: Wrong, yeah we actually got a question at the live show About Terry. Wilson want to like? Him? Really? DO i? Do not that? GOOD i, do and AND i do look back and lament a little bit THAT i was unfair to him in, Spots, yeah because he really was better than PERHAPS i PERHAPS i knew he had some, moments Dan at some. Moments? Okay DO i believe in the new? Guys Mark stoops believes in the new. Guys he's pretty high on the new. Guys what running? Back he's pretty high on. HIM a coach is high on his. HEAD i, know, surprise. Surprise Mark stoops feels very good about their running back. Situation of course they're getting rid Of Benny, snell getting rid of they don't wanting rid of. Them, Wow but damn he has to. Leave he's out of. Eligibility he had more than thirty eight hundred yards and forty eight touchdowns on the. Ground and then of Course Josh allen thirty one and a half career sacks seventeen just last year on his. Nuts that's a lot to. Replace so who Replaces? Snell the guy is Aj rose that you should listen. For he's going to take a stab at. It he's about two inches taller and fifteen pounds lighter Than Benny snell seventy nine carries last, year six point six yards per. Carry he's gonna be your primary. Guy they got some others in, there Like Chris rodriguez And Travis tisdale And Cavasier, smoke which is a great, name great. Name each of them brings a different skill set that could. Help BUT i don't think any one of those guys is going to be able to Replace Benny, stell no. Chance i'm curious to see how they rotate these guys in and, out use them in different, packages try to get the same production from that running back, position because it can't all be on the. Armit Terry, wilson he's a good, runner needs to improve as a. Passer wasn't really a threat as a passer last.
Speaker 2: Year that's what you want to hear about your quarterback runner when it came to. Throwing nobody was super.
Speaker 1: Scared had. Flashes yeah he, did but on the whole to say that he's like this sort of aerial, THREAT i can't say, that all. Right so that's the first thing on The Josh allen. SIDE i don't know how you replaced That mark would.
Speaker 2: Be pretty great if he suddenly were, though it Would Terry, Wilson i'd be, great it Would.
Speaker 1: Mark stoops seems to think That Boogie watson can do, it and he's big kids like six, four two. Thirty he did make an impact and limited action last, year so perhaps there is room for him to grow and step into that role that is now vacated By Josh. Allen it's just one of those things THAT i need to see to. Believe, Yeah Josh allen, special he really. WAS i mean it was such a banner year For kentucky last, year nine and three regular, season ten to three with the win Over Penn state in the bowl. Game, like what a great season For Mark. Stoops he had been building to this for quite some. Time he finally got, recruited well, developed well so great. Talent if you look at the, secondary another area WHERE i have some question, marks five guys from that backfield were either drafted or signed as undrafted free. Agents that's a. Lot that's a good amounts actly. There it was really. Good, yeah it. Was And Mark stoops he likes the talent he has coming back this, season but he knows it's going to take some time to get it. Right and then the other. QUESTION i hate to come back to, this but to what end Can Terry wilson improve as a? Passer we know he's a hell of a. Runner mm. Hmm he can be more of a force in the passing game and get the ball downfield to our, Boy Lynn Bowden. Junior mm. Hmm just a. SUGGESTION i hope he can. Do but AGAIN i need to wait to reserve. Judgment SO i look at the schedule With. KENTUCKY i THINK i feel pretty good about the talent coming. Back my biggest issue, is as you mentioned at the, top the two big guns are gone from a year. Ago he got A Mississippi state At South carolina At. Georgia not the worst schedule AS sect schedules. GO i can see this team going eight and four pretty, easily, well pretty. Easily, YEAH i like.
Speaker 2: It by the, Way Lynn bowden might see some time under center playing some quarterback terrific tricky.
Speaker 1: Dicky.
Speaker 2: Yeah eight and four means they are beating one of these teams missoo like they did last. Year Asterisk, Georgia Mississippi, State, Florida South. Carolina it's a pretty good. Schedule you are, Right So, Florida Mississippi, State, GEORGIA missoo are the easiest losses to. See, yeah if they're going eight and, four that means they're Beating South, Carolina, Arkansas, Shocker Tennessee. Andandy, okay it's actually a nice. Schedule they Have, toledo who's been. Good it's a good.
Speaker 1: Scout have The toledo you, know depth chart in front of me right. Now, yeah it's a good. Schedule, dan if they beat the teams they're supposed to. Beat eight and four is right, There.
Speaker 2: Okay and they're undoing will probably. Be they just aren't as good as last, year which is. Understandable they were really.
Speaker 1: Good. Yeah, yeah you don't have The Bell cow And Benny. Snell you certainly don't have the defensity present the gravitational force as you referred to, Him Josh, allen all, right where are we going? Next, okay let's go To. TEXAS a AND. M let's let's stick with the impossible. Schedules, defense, defense, defense mm. Hmm something of a mixed, bag one would say FOR a AND. M this, season the line seems like it's got a ton of, potential but then you've got pretty significant losses everywhere, else and this is a ready a pretty questionable past defense last season, also to say the, least Sad ley's also a murderous schedule that we'll get into. Here are you of the mindset That Mike, ELCO i don't, know can spin some, magic that he's got the horses in the secondary to figure this thing out before, long or are we still like a year or so away from seeing better play in that secondary defensive. BACKFIELD i think we're a year. Away.
Speaker 2: REALLY i think there's just there's experience, there but this is experience that got worked, over so it's finding new faces whoever those people. Are the good news is that they've recruited up front really, well so maybe maybe they don't have as much of a responsibility that they you, know the line can get to the quarterback, whatever because linebacker is also a. Question they're pretty green at. Linebacker SO i Just i'm not. There i'm not there WITH a AND m with that, Schedule so It's Trevor lawrence to a tongue Divil jake from and then. Whatever you, Know i'm pretty confident in giving the benefit of the doubt To Mississippi state that they're going to have a good offense With Joe. Morehead not, great but good this. YEAR i think Ls who's gonna be improved. Offensively they have weapons on the. Outside that's just it's. Tough auburn should be more creative and more dangerous than they were last. Year i'm just not there with this. SECONDARY i hope to be wrong because that would mean that we get a a crazy Competitive clemson.
Speaker 1: Game In week.
Speaker 2: Two they were very they were what two points? Away they went tight last, year kind of a funny play away last, year and they returned those. Receivers they Returned Kellen. Mond Travion williams is, gone BUT i Like Jayshawn. Corbyn HE'S i think he's a little bit more all purpose Than Travion williams. Was they're gonna be good on the, line but they're gonna need to win some thirty eight thirty five's to really have me.
Speaker 1: Confident they.
Speaker 2: Will they, will they, Will but, yeah they're the clear you, know seven and, five but look like a nine and three team a lot of the. Time so BECAUSE i phrased it like, that nine and three is my best case scenario for this brutal.
Speaker 1: Schedule that means incredibly. Brutal by the, Way, yeah four of the top six preseason, teams three of which are on the. Road not. Great that is not an easy. Schedule AND i don't care if You're, CLEMSON i don't care if You're. Alabama that is a really tough. Draw and it's interesting to kind of lay that on top of the fact that so many people are really high on an him this. Year i've been surprised at how high folks are on the, aggies if only because the schedule is just. Murderous it's. Impossible even if they improved by leaps and, bounds it's still it's still somewhat.
Speaker 2: Limiting, well It's jimbo with a good offensive roster and focus and, care we, think and that's you, know a, high high level. Combination SO i. AM i Like Kellen, mond but he was too all over the place last year for me to feel. Great he looked incredible Against clemson and then we SAW i think it Was, october some real down weeks from. Him SO i, mean the best case is nine to, three and that means It's clemson without their crazy pass rush that they had last. Year that he threw all Over clemson last.
Speaker 1: Year sure.
Speaker 2: That it's ascending to because he was sort of average last. Year it's ascending to very. Good it's getting improvement from the, secondary Which i'm not hopeful for but happily. Wrong and the worst case to, ME i don't think they go less than and lower than seven and, Five and that to me Means Kellen mond is, fine but not good enough to win eight or nine games in THE Sec west AGAINST, Lsu, Georgia, Alabama. Auburn these are crazy defensive.
Speaker 1: Lines it's.
Speaker 2: TOUGH i JUST i don't see, it SO i think there's wide variability. There So i'm looking at seven and five as not a crazy. Outcome all, Right, dan your final question here in THE Sec? West oh, WAIT i make this one? Count, okay you KNOW i. WILL i want to talk to you About. ARKANSAS i can't.
Speaker 1: Wait arkansas went two and ten last. Year mm. Hm but they were. Feisty you're not. Wrong they were, feisty particularly AGAINST lsu AND a and m, yep close calls that they. Blew i'm not gonna zoom in on any one position because clearly there were deficiencies across the board for The. RAZORBACKS i just want the general lay of the land. Here what is what is your sense for the direction of this program after twenty? Eighteen do you think we're closer to something that resembles more of a competitive? Squad are we still kind of in the midst of a slow? Rebuild where's your heart On?
Speaker 2: ARKANSAS i should point out they didn't blow THE a and M lsu, games but those were close. Calls they blew the games Against Ole miss And Colorado.
Speaker 1: State, yes.
Speaker 2: Correct What i'm feeling About arkansas is similar to what you feel when you spy on the construction workers building your patio right, Now, okay you just want to be seeing. That, okay there's crowd going, Down, okay tiles are going, in all, RIGHT i see they're putting the gas, line working on some, plumbing. Irrigation you just want to see that. Progress you want to see that things are moving towards the final. Product this is an excellent, metaphor And i'll tell you.
Speaker 1: Why because you're watching it as we. SPEAK i was actually watching it shortly BEFORE i came up to the.
Speaker 2: Studio but, oh, OKAY i thought you're, LIKE i was watching it while you were going on and on about you, know Justin, Jefferson, no, No, no.
Speaker 1: They've left for the. Day, Okay but as With, ARKANSAS i think a lot of the, work at least in my, backyard has taken place. Underground it's not been the kind of stuff that you can see with the naked. Eye it's been a lot of. Infrastructure it's been getting that layer of top soil to the place where you can actually put something on top of, it strip it, away put some, rocks lay some. Pavers that deal Is arkansas to a point now where they've finished the underlying drainage issues and are ready to start laying some techo block.
Speaker 2: Pavers, Also John chavis is your. Contractor that's. Correct, yeah it's a good one. Too, comparison it's apples to. Apples, yeah so the baseline you had a. Backyard arkansas had a bad twenty. Eighteen they couldn't, run AND i Like Rickem, boyd but as a, team they were not a good rushing. Team they definitely couldn't pass With Ty story And Cole. Kelly they're bad on third, down they were bad in the red. Zone they were actually they did generate some bigger, plays WHICH i think is a nice. Foundation, defensively they couldn't stop the. Run but they weren't abysmal against the. Pass yeah they were, Abysmal yes they, Were but like you, know the foundation you're, describing they did a decent enough job at stopping bigger, plays, which as we know From Bill c's five, factors you win the explosion, battle you're winning a. Lot so that's a good. Start quarterback, wise at the time of, RECORDING i think it's going to Be Nick, starkle but he's competing With Ben hicks who transfer FROM. Smu Nick, starkle he loses a job To Kellen mond AT a and m transfers To. Arkansas Racking boyd is. Back there's returning production behind. Him they're okay at. Receiver you know they have blue chips coming, in which is. PROMISING i know everybody's gonna be paying attention. There it's hard to know why where the receiver stand because quarterback play was so, Bad, yeah it, was SO i can't fully make a judgment call. THERE i like that they've recruited well and that there's early playing time opportunity. There offensive line is a huge. Question it's they don't have the experience AND i don't know if they have the. Talent we'll, see we'll see If Chad morris can scheme around. It the good news For arkansas they have two Legitimate ALL sec players on Defense. McTelvin a game comes back clearly a star wreck shop on the inside last year for The, hogs and you know the inside should be. Nice you, know defensive ends are a. Question and Then Dejon harris is at linebacker, Everywhere so as a starting, point the fact that they're good up front up the MIDDLE i like a lot With John chaves calling the. Place the secondary is the. Green it's a. QUESTION i think they're probably gonna get worked over more often than not this. Year but starting, point, yes very nice with a game In, harris so schedule, wise not a bad. Place there's a part of me that thinks With Portland, state you, know going To, Oxford Colorado, state And San Jose, state they could start out four and, oh which good For arkansas get all of those Wins october and Early. November Is auburn At alabama And Mississippi state consecutively not? Great so with that four and oh possibility in, MIND i think their best case scenario is they make A bowl best absolute winning fifty to fifty. Games Nick starkele or whoever comes in and looks competent compared to where they were last. Year the defense improves, too not good but not, horrible and the worst case scenario is three and. Nine The you, know there's a Reason Nick starkele And Ben hicks didn't work out at their previous. Places and the defense still just doesn't have enough. Dudes so a pretty wide. Swing BUT i think they could schedule their way to a. Bowl which important first step laying the, grout laying the. Irrigation, yeah and they're not in a place to fully. Grill they're not in a place to, entertain but they're happier and. Happier checking that nest sounds, Good, OKAY i like. It we got one team left, Here dan laid on, me all.
Speaker 1: Right so The Toledo.
Speaker 2: Rockets, no we have the most important team in THE. Sec, right the, doors, baby the. Doors last year was the first YEAR i look this Up Derek mason's tenure At vanderbilt in which neither the offense nor the defense the same season were full on. Embarrassing yes they were not, great sometimes they were just, bad but, overall neither the offense nor the defense was full on embarrassing over the course of the season as a. Whole was that a sign of things to? Come can they get to below average or average on both? Sides or was last year a ceiling with an upper classmic quarterback And Kyle schermer AND i guess a culmination of whatever it is That Derek mason is doing.
Speaker 1: THERE i think it was a culmination of some. Kind, okay so they're about to get worse. Somewhere they're gonna get worse this, year but it shouldn't overshadow What Derek mason's done In. Nashville Two bowl games in three. Years that's a big deal for THIS vandi. Program there's clearly buying among the. Players the offense was pretty good last. Year the issue that they encounter now in twenty nineteen is That Kyle schrver's, gone and they've also got an issue with three guys on the line needing to be, replaced five of their six top tacklers on defense And Juwan williams in the defensive backfield. Left that's a lot to try and, replace especially when you look at a schedule that sees them open the year at home Against Georgia trial By. Fire they've got a road game At, purdue which you, Know i'm not super high On, perdue but could be tricky. Early, Yep we've GOT. Lsu we've got a road game Against, florida a road game Against tennessee in. THERE i don't know what to expect from this. Team, well they owned the. State let's be, Clear vanderbilt owns the. State they do own the. State, sure, yeah BUT i feel better About tennessee in that game THAN i Do. Vandy they will Play tennessee, tight they will play them. TIGHT i you, KNOW i think six and, six seven and five is probably. DOABLE i just have so many questions about that quarterback position when you lose a guy Like Kyle, schrmer who granted wasn't the best quarterback on, earth but led a pretty good.
Speaker 2: Offense last. Year they were a step up from where they had been. Previous, yeah they were like fourth in THE.
Speaker 1: Sec SO i know what metric are using for. That but, OKAY i, UNDERSTAND i get. It i'm with. You i'm just trying to find a way to give the benefit of the doubt, here knowing that they've got a lot of. Losses i'm struggling with. It i'm feeling like six and six is probably where this team ends up in twenty.
Speaker 2: Nineteen So vanderbilt last year offensively and, defensively they finished with a net points per drive so offense minus defense of like the most average team in the. Country they finished sixty sixth fiftieth, offense and then eightieth on. Defense and that's improved from the previous year and way down still from the couple of years before. That another thing to note About vanderbilt And bowl. Eligibility they make The bowl last, year they lose To. Baylor really fun running back in What's Kishan.
Speaker 1: Vaughan, yeah.
Speaker 2: They were right there Against, kentucky so that you know they if they swing that fifty to fifty, game they go to what seven and five right there Against. MISZOO i Think maszoo has to come back to win that. Game, yes they do come back to win that. Game so you're talking a limited number of plays away FROM i, mean and a lot of teams can say, this of, course sure from eight. Wins they embarrassingly lost and this is going to happen when you don't have the talent. Level they lose to a noted aime team that doesn't score a touchdown in the playoff by five, points dear, you but can't have. That vandy's not far. Off they just it's they don't have the high end of, talent AND i would EXPECT i would expect. WITHOUT i, mean you did the deep dive on this, team so you would know better THAN. I i just it's weird for me to think About Derek mason having a defense that isn't at least average with where some of his previous defenses at Both vandy And stanford were so and how they've started out seasons but subsequently. BLOWN i would hope For vandy's sake that they're they're more competitive there because then it becomes a little bit more interesting BECAUSE i never Liked Andy, ludwig even With vandy as sending pretty nicely on all it.
Speaker 1: Could it could be additioned by subtraction as he moves. On, yeah but they promoted from, within so who. Knows all, Right, well there you, Go, dan there is our sec. Preview you had The, WEST i had The. East please do write in let us know your thoughts on. This we Have Alabama, GEORGIA i think, so do? You? YEAH i think so.
Speaker 2: TOO i think the common if we're gonna stick With, well If i'm gonna stick with my guns of quarterback and, DEFENSE i think those are the ANSWERS i would.
Speaker 1: AGREE i don't think in this case there's a need to overthink. It big surprise in The east is big surprise in The. East? Yeah Does missouri count as a? Surprise, no.
Speaker 2: It would be it would Be vanderbilt The, yeah it would Be, Vanderbilt South, Carolina tennessee as legitimate.
Speaker 1: SURPRISES i would be more inclined to Go. Tennessee.
Speaker 2: Okay in The, WEST i would, say, actually who would be a surprise in The west to? You, oh Miss yes would be a. Surprise, Arkansas, yes would be a. Surprise anybody else that you would consider a.
Speaker 1: Surprise it could be a surprise as a surprise in the other, direction maybe IF lsu falls?
Speaker 2: Short oh good, Call, okay my surprise Is auburn isn't?
Speaker 1: Great?
Speaker 2: Okay that would be my BECAUSE i JUST i can't buy in on an ole Miss a and m. Schedules then they're neither good nor bad in my eyes right, now they have the potential to be, good BUT i gotta say more, So, Yeah auburn disappointing and losing some of those fifty to fifty games is my. Surprise all, right, well there you have. It we are going to post Our Fantasy things show On. Sunday we are planning as of recording, now to do what our group of five questions Preview, yes which will be released On tuesday, morning and then check your feed On thursday, morning bright and. Early, yes in time for your morning. Commute we will post the week one preview that everyone's excited. For we will, Probably i'm, assuming talk About week zero after the. Fact, yeah if that's okay with.
Speaker 1: You not enough games to do a full a full, preview and, honestly it's so difficult to do these preview shows in week one, anyway we'd probably be doing Both florida And miami a. Disservice i'd kind of like to see what they have BEFORE i talk about. Them can we give them a? Disservice so we're on the, record, THOUGH i, mean if you want to put your nuck out, there you're allowed to. Show. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah So miami is a seven and a half point dog at, home which means that you, can you, know search and scour for an appropriate sound if you have the soundboard in front of. You And.
Speaker 1: Hawaii is an eleven point dog at, home so you have not looked up. There it is home dog of the. Week i'm not touching either of these home dogs at the ten.
Speaker 2: Football other home dogs you can touch In i'm making sure these are all week.
Speaker 1: Zero, yeah you.
Speaker 2: Can you can Touch Youngstown, State, Sanford samford dog against Bo polini And, Villanova, Colgate colgate The gators a favorite against What's villanova The? Wildcats, yes you like The. Gators this is Pay Patriot league.
Speaker 1: ACTION i don't, know it's a little early for, That Dan, okay Our patriots is still.
Speaker 2: Forthcoming here's my. Neck i'm gonna take the. POINTS i Think miami covers at. Home florida. Wins all, right good, defense and it's going to be a difficult place to play because everybody is focusing on this game and It's. Miami they're gonna go out for this. GAME i don't know about later, games but good defense at. Home i'm taking the. Points it's one of my. Rules let's do.
Speaker 1: It and as a, tease we'll just say That Manny diaz is bringing the swag back to swagger back To, miami.
Speaker 2: Always bringing it, back and we Get Khalil tate AND Jj taylor on the. Islands will be. Fun All, right we're gonna.
Speaker 1: Go we're gonna post fantasy things this Weekend group of five And week one previews coming next, week as well as we get ready to officially flip it into high gear here on the. Show don't forget if you haven't already subscribed, now either On Apple podcasts or where it doesn't make a, difference doesn't make any. Difference people actually asked that question at the live. Show does it? Matter, no it doesn't. Matter just wait, on hold, on it DOESN'T i think it. DOES i don't care how they. LISTEN i just want people to listen. WHEREVER i want bee able to subscribe and. Listen, well you can, subscribe, Sure i'd love a.
Speaker 2: Subscription that actually even more. Important this is the time, when and it's not even just about college fol. Podcasts you, know podcasts have becomes so. POPULAR a conversation seems to be wherever you, are if you're on a double, date if you're just chilling in the conference room at work before a, meeting where people are bsing and they. Talk maybe if you listen to podcasts like oh do you have any. Recommendations throw our name out, there throw the solid verbal into that conversation a little bit about if you can do, that we'd be more appreciative about that than. Subscribing how about?
Speaker 1: That all? Right that sounds good for that guy over, there my good Friend Dan, rubinstein for, Myself ty Hilde. Brant we will catch you all in a few days sometime this. Weekend in the, meantime enjoy the rest of your, week all of your, weekend and stay. Solid. Peace