Speaker 1: God is a record.
Speaker 2: Bring we will sue you to the gunner.
Speaker 1: Welcome, The Just Baseball Show is live. Thank you so much for joining us. Jack McMullin, arm label right, fakel Stude, Peyton, Jesus here with you as always, and we've got our MLB trade deadline preview on the horizon. It is live at just baseball dot com. You should go check that out. Where they have power ring to be top fifty most valuable assets possibly available at the deadline is Byronston in there. I don't know is Byron Buxton mentioned at the end of the article for sure? Why? As he mentioned, you've got to go read it to find out. So it's a very layered description in primer for the MLB trade deadline, of course, with the one through fifty ranking of trade assets. So what we're gonna do today, We're gonna talk about the most valuable trade assets, the top ten to fifteen most valuable pieces that could be on the move at the trade deadline, which I believe is nine days away at this point. And then we are also going to get into the rental starter market. How hard is bullpen help going to be to come by? And then I think the catcher conundrum is fascinating and we can really dive into that. But you and the editorial team have done obviously a kick ass job with this. Again, the deadline. Do you feel like that's where you cook the most over the course of a single season. It feels like you really live for the trade deadline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, me and Klais Noden, we felt like it was old JB days. We felt like it was twenty twenty one. Again. We were about to hop on the State of the Division podcast and talk about all thirty teams. We wrote eight thousand plus words on this and shout out to Clay again for carrying a lot of that heavy lifting on the right up side. Well, I kind of handled the ranking side of it, but yeah, the deadline is my time off season, you know, the transaction stuff. That's what I live for. And this was a labor of love to spend this much time on something and you know, care too much about who was ranked thirty fourth and thirty fifth on this list.
Speaker 4: If you extra days, fuxture days for it to breathe. We got the August third deadline this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I know, the random August third deadline. I like that they laid it out this year. I don't think there's any games played, so it should be a nice, crazy Monday for us when everything starts to unfold.
Speaker 1: So I guess we're like, what eleven days away then, yeah, because today is Wednesday, July twenty second, that we got August third, which is a Monday, So you pretty much have a week and a half to decide if these teams are going in the buying and selling direction. What we've seen teams overall kind of change the outlook of their season over the course of the last two weeks. And there are teams slipping and sliding. There are teams that are climbing the Boston Red Sox, slipping and sliding the Toronto Blue Jays. But it is really interesting to kind of keep tabs because I think I was reading yesterday twenty three of the thirty teams in Major League Baseball are within five games of a postseason spot. Twenty three of thirty or within five games. Five games used to be like be this barometer of if you're within five games, you're probably gonna buy and go for it. So arm I want to kick it to you and then we'll kind of go piece by piece for these valuable assets, Like do you expect that number to go down or do you expect this deadline to be underwhelming? Because if twenty three teams actually think they're in it, nothing's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: I think it's gonna be underwhelming, with the caveat that we might just get some crazy big lea for big leaguer deal. So I asked some people about the big leaguer people and I immediately get it shot down like, oh, those never happened, right, And I agree they don't happen, But if they ever were to really happen, I feel like it's gotta be this year now, Like this is if you're not a seller, which there's not many of, but you're not a full fledged buyer, what better way than to just trade from the big league team to assess a need elsewhere? And I think you have a couple of teams where in theory that would make more sense, but you have teams that could actually do it. We talk about the Mariners all the time, but I think there's several other teams, Like a J. Prower is gonna very much, but we're going to talk about that position himself to do it. I think you've even heard like from the Marlins and they got to snap the skid. But all the reports have been, hey, you know, we want to trade a little bit. If we're going to make some moves from the big league team to maybe address the big league team. I think it's gonna happen this year, and maybe we don't get the blockbuster like you know, NBA type of trades that you see, but I do think that's the one way that this deadline could get spiced up a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we'll see what happens here. I do want to take us into the top fifteen most valuable assets that Just baseball dot com has listed. Again, this article is live on Just baseball dot com. It will be linked to the episode description as well, but it is the top story on Just baseball dot com. Just go to it in your browser and you will find it at the tippy top of your page, whether it's on your phone or laptop or iPad or tablet, whatever you may choose to use and scroll the internet. I think before we get into like actual names of one through fifteen, how do you look at it? Because spoiler alert schoobles five a lot of people would look at the back to back American League, say Yaga Award winner and say, how is he not one or two? But you clearly value years of control. Teams very clearly value years of control. Fangrafs is doing their annual series right now where they're kind of ranking the most valuable assets in baseball, like Drake Baldwin for the sake of the exercises like the thirty first most valuable player in baseball in terms of if everybody was on the trademarket. So how do you balance overall talent and years of control to kind of go into this cocktail that is trade value.
Speaker 3: So I think the one thing that I wanted to do here because you can look right now, you could check out Jeff Patson's ranking and what they're doing over there at ESPN, and that comes with a lot of reporting from pass and it gives you the likelihood of guys getting traded. Then it's also a ranking of who's just the best players that can be acquired. What I wanted to do with this list is to assess value, and I think part of the things that we don't talk about that much when it comes to players getting traded. One it's years of control, is definitely going to boost their trade value and pretty significantly. Like Terrek, Schoolble is amazing, and the fact that he's even in the top five as a rental there's part of me that was wondering, is he too high because there's other guys that have control, you know, is we'll get into a minute, but is Schoolble more valuable than read debt nerves because he comes with two and a half years of control. So that was one balance. The other thing is money, and that's the thing that I think a lot of times we forget and that's why I put the contract right here because as much as you might prefer a Kevin Gossman over a Freddy Peralta, there's teams out there that say, well, Kevin Gosman's making pro rated from the twenty three million compared to Freddy Perlta at the eight million, and these are both veteran pitchers, and we'll roll the dice on Freddy because it costs less money. So that was part of how these rankings come together. The other thing, I will say, just getting back to the uncertainty of this deadline and so many teams in the middle this list looked a lot worse a couple days ago because I didn't have the Padres guys on here. I didn't have the Blue Jays guys on here. And at a certain point, there's some teams that just feel like, all right, we need to include these these for one, to just make the lists look better, but also we need to include these teams so that we can kind of understand, yeah, maybe the Padres should sell because hey, they have four really valuable trade assets that they can they can shop here. So that was another big thing with this list, was trying to decide which teams to include. And when you're reading at the end, there's a list of teams that we did not consider, like a Roldist, Chapmans not on this list, with think the Red Sox are going to buy. There's some players done on the bottom too, where it's guys that are unlikely to be sold low on. And then there's also a grouping like Hunter Goodman. We'll talk about him with the Catchers in a little bit. He's not in the top fifty because I don't know if a team is going to meet the value of Hunter Goodman with three and a half years of control. So that's how he kind of came down to fifty names, and if you read the whole article, almost every name that you can think of is going to be listed somewhere. They just might not all be in that top fifty.
Speaker 1: Arm you gave the nod of approval and the kind of vocal mm like them of approval. When when a Fink mentioned money, why is money such a big caveat here?
Speaker 4: I think it's the biggest aspect of the scooball component in particular, and we've talked about that a little bit on the show in the past, and that's why I love the rankings that we have out right now, because I think it just accounts for all of those things really well. Where if you trade for two school, yeah it's Terek scouple and you might think, you know, in theory, oh, ten million dollars like no brainer for Terrek Schouble the rest of the way, ten million for a rental is a lot of money, no brainer if you have the ability to do it. But think about how many gms have to then go sell that to ownership, like you better be damn sure you're making the playoffs if you're paying not only what the prospect return is going to be for a school, then ten million that could eat into I don't know how every time operates, but that could eat into what's available for you in free agency the next year if you guys don't make the playoffs, like it really does compound it, and it also shortens the list of teams that can pull this trade off, which is what we've talked about now. I think about the Rays historically, that could have been something that eliminates him. With this new ownership group, I think it's something that they might leverage here and say, here's our chance to swing for the fences. But traditionally, speaking like that could have been something that disqualifies a race team that has the prospect capital. So you don't create the bidding war necessarily because several teams may just disqualify themselves by saying we're not taking on ten million dollars for the rest of this season. That's more than some teams pay, you know, free agents for a whole season. So I think that part's really important, especially with other teams that are up against the CBT. Like for the sake of argument, let's say the Astros were in on Schooble and they could pull off the deal if they don't have enough wiggle room up to the CBT, like they're not gonna pay. I don't know exactly what the tax rate would be, but it will be more than ten now to pull that off, So it is limiting, I think for teams. And I also think it's part of the reason why I still wonder if the Tigers are gonna be able to pull this off, because if even if there's a sniff of salary dump in the respect that it's just, hey, you didn't get the return that you thought, you might as well just hold on to them at that point, And how many teams are gonna be lining up to give you the prospect return that a player of his caliber demands, even as a rental and taking on the money. I think there's a stalemate here.
Speaker 1: Someone's gonna need to pony up, and I'd be curious to see what that looks like. And to the point that we were initially discussing, it feels very likely that if Schooble is on the move, there's a good Big leagueer going back to Detroit in return, because Detroit, mind you, is not far off. We thought they were the class of the American League Central coming into this year, it's been incredibly disappointing. There are a whole bunch of different ways that Detroit can get good big league players in return for Trek schoolbel and maybe that offset's a little bit of the cash. But without further ado, it's time to get into the top ten to fifteen most valuable trade assets according to Just Baseball dot Com. Ryan Finkelstein, I'll let you take us through this man, because the top dog is a fascinating discussion. I'm sure we will talk plenty more about bullpen arms a little bit later on in the program. But how did you see the top ten to fifteen unfold?
Speaker 3: Well, I think starting off with like the top three, the guys that stood out to me, Mason Miller late edition, just because Jeff Passer reported that the pods are listening, and I completely understand why they would consider it. I also understand why it's going to be tough to move him. But you're talking about a guy who's three and a half years of control, a team that is very much in the middle right now, and also a market that we'll get into layer that does not have a lot of relievers. So Mason Miller was number one Zach Netto number two Neto also three and a half years of control, also a lad addition to this list for Neto another one. Recent reporting suggests that angels will listen. I wrote multiple times in the rite up, I said, I just don't know how many twenty five year old shortstops with three and a half years of control get traded. But because of that, he's very valuable, and so he's high up on this list. Joe Ryan number three because the difference between Joe Ryan and School bol it's twofold. One, it's a year and a half of control. Two. He's only making six point one million this season. He's got a thirteen million dollar mutual option for next season. If he decides it can make more in arbitration, which I don't know if he would get that much more. He can decide to not pick up his end of it and go through arb but either I think you're kind of set with what that's gonna look like for Joe Ryan, probably around twenty million dollars for a year and a half, and I think that's a lot more valuable than School. So I guess we can maybe start with those three and move on from there.
Speaker 1: There are plenty of famous examples of starting pitchers having one blow up start or one amazing start before the deadline and it heavily impacting their value. I think about Cole Hammil's throwing a no hitter right before the trade deadline. If I'm not mistaken, that was what early to mid twenty tens, and then he gets moved for a much greater haul than he would have been moved for four days prior. With Joe Ryan, who allowed six homers on Monday to the Cleveland Guardians, P D Halpin hit two of them. Do you think that docks Joe Ryan's value at all? Yes? Or no? Arm Leighton, I.
Speaker 4: Don't think so. I think you'd have to do it again.
Speaker 1: Not that bad, but just have another PD help another multi homer day.
Speaker 4: Yeah then I think so. But yeah, it just could be one of those days where verdy fastball guy just leaves didn't sound too much and hanks a couple of the breaking balls and it's just a rough one. But yeah, I mean if he has another one, like, you don't want to slump right into that for a team that was already on the fence, like they're gonna need to be absolutely wowed I think to do it anyways, So I think the only way that the Twins really move him, I think is if they which I think they should. But it's also hard. We talk about these teams and where they're at, and just I think the next week or so will determine that just how the Twins play, who all of a sudden now are back the four under five hundred. But I think, assuming he doesn't have another bad starter too, I just think that the bulk sample of Joe Ryan and just how consistent he has been, uh, ultimately, I don't think will affect it too too much.
Speaker 1: Interesting that I think you think Joe Ryan is a more valuable asset than school, But this is probably controlling money coming into play, right and Ryan is getting a little bit steeper I guess in price tag, but at the end of the day, like that year is doing a lot of heavy lifting.
Speaker 3: No one hundred percent. I mean again, it's the combination of the money side of it. I think Joe Ryan at only six million this year, that that barrier of entry, that that's going to open up a lot more teams being able to call on him. As you know I mentioned with Schoogle, you could be looking at two or three teams that can actually really, you know, viably do it on the combination of prospects and money. The other thing is, I just look at Joe Ryan and I feel like this year he's been healthy all year. He gives you that upside. And I think for a team that's going to give up the type of return to get one of these pitchers, having the extray of control, even with the looming lockout, I still think that that's going to help a GM put that prospect they really don't want to trade on the table because at least they have two playoff runs with him.
Speaker 4: And it also sets up your rotation at such a low cost. So whatever your budget is presumably for the off season, once we have the off season, you can address rotation. And also we talk about free agency and how bad it is like you may have to overpay for a picture that's going to be lesser than Joe Ryan. How nice to have Joe Ryan for about a year and a quarter at less than twenty million dollars, literally less than the qualifying offer. You're gonna get two playoff runs with Joe Ryan. So I think that's where a lot of teams could you know Pony up and if the Twins get offered, you know, Sean down Hue puts a great question one of our awesome writers just baseball, like could Atlanta be a sneaky team for Joe Ryan? Like if they offer you controllable starters, like if you get offered JR. Ritchie or whatever, it may be all of a sudden. I think the Twins just when you when you when you put it in the model and you look about you look at your present and your future, it becomes hard to say say no to you know, those controllable arms.
Speaker 1: Griffin Jacks was hard to move until what TDZ Bradley was on the table right Like there, those are really interesting names. And I saw Ken Rosenthals reporting you know about long term uh you know, younger starting pitchers that could trade chips in a schoobl conversation, right like Emmitt Sheen with the Dodgers. Who else to the fl listed painter with the Phillies. Guys like that. Those are really interesting names that could be available or somewhat available at the deadline real quick. On number two, Zach Netto, I think the Angels should move a lot. That's the one guy I would yeah, if I were the angels, and it's amazing that they're willing to listen on Netto. We're gonna get into the Catcher conversation momentarily, and I'm gonna pour some cold water on the Catcher market in a moment. But I guess I'm pouring cold water on the first one here. I really don't understand why Ardi Moreno, who hugs det Meers and Soriano and doesn't move rental O Tani is even thinking about moving as Zach Netto. Does that make any sense to you?
Speaker 4: Are No, it doesn't really, because like I think you could listen, especially in the world where like it sounds like the Astros aren't gonna trade Jeremy Panine. It's like you could just say, hey, we've got the one controllable shortstop on the market. Wow us, you know, just just give me the most ridiculous off forever. They don't get it, and it is what it is. It's also off a year where Netto's swinging and missing more than ever, and I think you're still very productive. I love Zach Meto, always have since he was a prospect, which wasn't very long. But I just I could understand just saying, hey, let's sit and listen, because if you can get multiple close to big league ready pieces, I get it. But I'm not a big proponent of like trading a guy with three and a half years of control, because especially when you have some other pieces, Like I don't have a lot of faith in the Angels organization, but you have a new guy in charge right now in mosay Loc you get a year and a half to like try to be semi competitive, and then by then if you're not, you still have two plus years of control to trade Neto and still get a haul. And there's a certain tipping point where it's like three and a half years versus two and a half years. I don't know how much more you're gonna get because teams just aren't gonna go that much further outside of their comfort zone. So I think it's worth listening. But trading a guy like that with three and a half years of control, I'd only be doing that if you had zero big league pieces. Maybe the Angels should have done that, you know, if they were where they were at last year, but now all of a sudden, they got some pictures and like you put in a couple other good bats like trouts, the healthiest he's been in a little bit, like there's a world where they can be all right next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I'm totally with you. All right. Moving to the next clump of guys here, you've got a handful of starting pitchers. What you guys got Are we gonna do Mason Miller?
Speaker 4: Any question on that?
Speaker 1: Oh you want to talk Mason Miller. You want to save him for the bullpen conversation?
Speaker 4: Oh, save him for the bullpen. Sorry, I just want to double chuck next clumping of guys real quick.
Speaker 1: As we kind of pushed through the top fifteen most valuable assets, we've got a couple of starting pitchers, and then we've got a couple of catchers as well. I think you guys have Shay Langliers the Athletics listed as the number four most valuable trade asset that could be moved at the deadline, followed by school Bold, Debt, Mers, and Soriano in there as well. Michael Watkee in there as well, and the other catcher is Adley Ritchman of the Baltimore Orioles. I want to hold the catcher conversation because we're gonna expand on that but that clump of starting pitchers who jumps out to you and why outside of school because we just had a school conversation, Ryan, Yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: Read Detmers is the one that jumps out. It feels like if there's a guy that gets moved for a crazy return, I think Debtmers might kind of be the sweet spot where it's enough control that I think teams will really be aggressive on bidding for him. And if you're the Angels right now and you're trying to decide which piece to sell, you can keep Jose Sorano, who I don't think we'll have the same trade value, and you can just move Debtmers and get the return to boush your farm system without going into a full fire sale. And it kind of builds off of the Zach Nettle thing like you're gonna listen on all these guys. I think Detmers might be the sweet spot where you might actually be moved enough to actually sell on them. Also, you got to remember, like this is the guy who's pitching out of the bullpen last year, so it feels like a guy that is finally putting all together. Maybe sell high there. And like you mentioned, talk about the catchers later, but Langelier's I think with two and a half years of control, deserve to be in the top five. We'll see if they actually move them. Adleye is going to be interesting again. We'll talk about that with the catchers. But I look at Jose Soriano, Reed Detmers and Michael Waka. That that trio of arms. If you're trying to get a starting pitcher with control, I think those are the three that are most likely to move. And Waka is a guy that like that is such a good contract. It's crazy. He's making eighteen this year, fourteen next year. And then it's not a mutual, it's not a player. It's a club option for fourteen million dollars in twenty twenty eight with only a million dollar buyouts. So it's like the best of both worlds. It's either affordable or if Waka falls off a cliff in the next year and a half, you're out of the deal. So I almost look at at Waka and think like that's the guy that I would be targeting because I just don't think you'll have to give up the return of a younger pitcher like a debt meers, but you're getting the same control at a pretty affordable rate.
Speaker 4: I think I'm fascinated by the Detmers thing, and I know, like i've I've floated that he should be moved, and then I got a lot of pushback, and I kind of understood it from Angels spins, where it's like we've waited to have this pitching for such a long time. Sure, and I get that. I think that's some leverage that you can have there. But again, if the compensation is more pitching, and I'm not talking about like a low way arm, I'll just keep using.
Speaker 3: The Braves example.
Speaker 4: But there's other teams that are in this position, or the Dodgers. But if you're getting multiple either guys that have already debuted or guys that are just really close to being able to do so pitching prospects with six years of control, that's where it gets really interesting. And Detmers is what two years of control after this one Compared to Neto, you have an extra one if you have a bad year, you can revisit it at the deadline next year with Netto. But that's where I get just fascinated, because you mentioned they have some other guys that already you can plug in and look look at next year and say, right, we've got Soriano. You know, we've got Urania. Hopefully you have a healthy Kikuchi and if one or one of the young arms that you acquire you can plug right into the rotation, it's not bad. And then you're gonna get a couple other major pieces because not only is Deptmers controllable, it's extremely cheap and I think that's the really exciting part too. And there's not gonna be a slew of left handed arms on the market. I think that's one where if you're listening on netto, you better be listening with some intent on Deptmers because at that price point, you know, in terms of his contract, you might get wowed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are going to hold a couple of the next guys because some of them are rental starting pitchers. But to round out the top fifteen, there are two guys that jump out to me that are fascinating. Number one at number ten is the top reliever available in the market, the Mets right hander Luke Weavers, and you're one of a two year deal. And then the other one that you guys have listed is fascinating to me, Luis Garcia junior with the Washington Nationals. Big, do you really think that Luis Garcia Junior is on the move, because this is a super value ascent to me, this breakout your offensively kind of screams building block, Like I don't know if Abrams is going anywhere, Wood is going anywhere, Garcia going anywhere, Lyle going anywhere. All of a sudden, you look at that National offense and they kind of look the way we were thinking they were gonna look at the beginning of last year. We're like, Wow, there are a lot of future cornerstones here.
Speaker 3: So I think with Louis Garcia, it's taken a sneaky long amount of time for him to have this breakout, and it's only a year and a half of control. So I think that's where if you're gonna move one like Abrams, I think it's at least two years after this season, maybe three. And that's why he fell into the bucket of guys who are too valuable to be traded. Louis Garcia, you can sell high right now on a market that has almost no bats. I mean, if the catchers don't go Luis Garcia, it's Louis Garcia and Luisa Ryes are like the best bat that you can get, and with Garcia you get that extra year of control. So that's why he's on this list and pretty high on this. As far as Luke Weaver, again, we'll talk about it more when we're going through why this relief market is so bad, But there's not the clear cut closer on the market right now. Luke Weaver can be that for some teams. We know he has closed games before and that extra ray of control again should incentivize teams to maybe put a bigger prospect on the table, knowing all right, even if we don't win this year, Luke Weaver is locked in for twelve and a half million dollars next season, which is something that he would get on the market probably, you know, if he was a free agent, you'd probably get that over maybe three years, like three years at twelve million. So those guys are definitely really valuable. I also will talk about the rental starters, but just because it ties into school ball, Casey Mice at six point, like, I think the Tigers might be getting more phone calls on Casey Mimes over the next eleven days than Schooble because it's only six point one five million dollars that any team can theoretically trade for him, and you wouldn't think you'd had to give up as much. But there's a reason why I put him right outside the top ten, because I think he's that valuable for the Tigers right now.
Speaker 1: I dig it.
Speaker 4: Arm what jumps out to you the Luis Garcia conversations is a good one because I think, like the point you bring up Jack is like the initial first thought, and then when you think about the market and what Fink brings up, and you also think about the fact that the Nationals like they're cooking beyond what we're seeing at the big league level. They've got guys coming up, and if they're not going to trade Abrams, going to have to clear up some space somewhere for some of these bats that they've got coming up. And they also I don't know how they're going to operate in terms of spending, but I still think they're at a position where money matters. And if he's making about seven million Garcia and Arb this year, you think we'll probably especially after the year he had probably exceed ten and I'm sure they will have to allocate that money towards pitching and if you can get a little bit of a prospect return. With the way that Taboni is, this is a different Mats front office, with the way that they can snipe prospects and maximize these returns. I think they might be eager to do that in a market that may play into their favor. So that's one why I think we saw the report from Will Salmon of the Athletic and Spencer and USPAM that said multiple teams have asked about Garcia, and at first I was kind of man, sure, you know, but when you think about the market has been alluded to, there's not a lot out there, and I assume that that's one hundred percent true. A lot of teams are probably just looking for any kind of offensive upgrade, and here's a guy that's on pace to hit thirty.
Speaker 1: No doubt about that. So again, that was the Rundown Podcast. PEF you wouldn't un flash in the graphic one more time at the top fifteen of the top fifteen most valuable trade chips at the twenty twenty six trade deadline. Again, the article live on Just Baseball dot Com has one through fifty ranked. We're going to get into a fascinating catcher conversation before we wrap the back half of the episode with pitching. But before that, let's hear about some peanuts.
Speaker 5: Imagine you take your seat at the ballpark, the smell of fresh cut grass and ice, cold beer, peanuts and the promise of three hours of uninterrupted baseball. What if you could bring the ballpark home to you with Hampton Farms peanuts. You can, America's number one in shell brand can be found in your local produce aisle, or twenty five percent off at Hampton Farms dot com with code just Baseball. Bring the ballpark home to you with Hampton Farms Peanuts.
Speaker 1: Let us continue the conversation with the catchers that could be on the move, because Ryan Finkelstein just offered the caveat if the catchers aren't moving. Luis s Garcia is right there with Luisa Rise in terms of the best and most valuable bats that could be available at the trade deadline. The catching crop is what throws a massive wrench into this whole deadline conversation and the names that jump up. Jay Langliers with the Athletics, Hunter Goodman with the Colorado Rockies, Adlie Ritchman with the Baltimore Orioles, Francisco Alvarez with the New York Bets. There are a couple other guys, Tyler Stevenson in Cincinnati. Yeah, he's a step below or a couple steps below in terms of weight class. From those big guys, I see two top dogs, to be honest with you, I see Goodman in Colorado based on what he has done away from Corsfield this year, overwhelming majority of his thirty one homers have come away from cors Field. And then Langaliers as well, who was the starting catcher for the American League of the All Star Game. I will start by pouring cold water on those two guys, and then we could expand the conversation. I think Sacramento would be silly to move Langaliirs right now. I also think Colorado would be silly to move Goodman right now. I think Goodman is what the Rockies have been clamoring for for quite a while, and with how much control they have over Hunter Goodman, they should be retaining him. I understand that this is a new regime and they feel like they have a lot of work to do, especially on the pitching side, but they're finding the best of Mickey moniac and they're finding the best of Jake McCarthy Like TJ. Rumfield's a hell of a player. This offense can be sneaky dangerous next year or the year after. And when you have a forty homer threat behind the dish, that does a lot of heavy lifting for you. Similar with Langoliers. If Langaliers goes, I mean, right now, with how many injuries they have, what are the redeeming qualities in that lineup? Outside of Kurts. Everybody's hurt right now, and I know the guys are gonna get healthy, but Langaliers has proven to be a top five catcher in Major League Baseball. I just don't think you move those guys with two and a half years. What say you about Langaliers? And Goodman? Think you first?
Speaker 3: So I'm with you. And there's a reason why Hunter Goodman's now on this list, And that's exactly what the read is. And I just don't think that there's going to be a team that's going to offer enough for a catcher with three and a half years of control. Langaliers was again another late edition, and ultimately the fact that there was some reporting that came out that they tried to extend him and they didn't get a deal done. That kind of perked my ears up a little bit on it. He's so consistent, this guy. Every year it's twenty plus. It's a catcher some baseball year in, year out, just always there.
Speaker 4: So it have to be a lot.
Speaker 3: But it's kind of like last year where we were all saying, there's no world that they trade Mason Miller. But then if they, if a good enough prospect gets put on the table, I think it can happen. And so this is where I just wonder if there's enough dialogue on teams trying to get a goodman or a lengeliers do teams pivot and now all of a sudden, the Ridals get overwhelmed for a year and a half of ADLEI, or the Mets get overwhelmed for three and a half years of Francisco Alvarez. That's where I think those two are more likely to be moved. And I will say one thing about Adli I just you just look at the surface level numbers and you say, like, Okay, he's having a good bounce back season. Then you look at this savant and look under the hood the fact that you can get a catcher in Adlie that you're not gonna have to worry that much about the sort of learning curve of a new pitching staff and everything. You know, he's going to handle the defensive side of things while giving you a really good bat. Like, I think there is a real chance that Ali gets moved here because again it's a year and a half of control, you have Bisillo locked up. I just wonder if the Orioles pull the trigger on this. It's an interesting one. And also he just hurt his wrists, which is I was going to say a complication too.
Speaker 4: I was going to say that works both ways, where I assuming that he returns healthy and he's going to go this bounce back year of Adlie, he's still been banged up, like it's going to be a battle to get to one hundred and ten games, and when you look at next year and you just want to continue to get more reps for a Besalloh and that's your extended future of the position, and you're also a team right now.
Speaker 1: That just is.
Speaker 4: I know they've been playing better of late, and overall, it's kind of depends what day we check in of what they should do ultimately probably not going to make a major run here. This is probably your last chance to really cash in. And I do think like a lot of teams would have still interest in adding Adelie to the fold. I don't know, it just it always feels like the Oils are never going to do it. But the names that we mentioned, it feels like he would be the most likely given less control bounce back Yere but still injured and of the same frustrations that the Orioles may have. I'm just I'm curious on that side of things. And then with Goodman, I agree one hundred percent, Jack, like, just extend that guy, and who cares if you pay above market value whatever, you have two years of control, leverage those and am whatever it takes. The Athletics have tried with Langliers, you know, the deal with John Fisher at this point, like even with the new franchise, with the new location in Vegas, whatever, like they're quickly seemed to be far apart. If you think there's no path to being able to extend Langliers, like this would be the most valuable time to do it, so you might as well listen. But I just don't see how another one where it's just I know it's not my money, but it's a building block here, and you have one of the best catchers in the game who gets better every year and is a great clubhouse guy, like pay the man, and those two guys have earned it, But I just I don't if you don't think you're gonna pay them, now would be the time to trade them.
Speaker 1: Theoretically, historically speaking, catchers have always been an off season trade. Like, very few good catchers are moved at a demi line because to the point of learning a new staff, like that's hard, especially in the midst of a postseason run, and you've got guys that are clicking probably with one or two catchers. Now it's probably easier in this day and age than previously, where the pitcher catcher dynamic in the battery relationship was of the utmost importance, and now it's still really important. But it's not like dire because there are some teams that are calling pitches from the dugout. But like I'm looking at this catching crop and saying, Okay, Adley would be very valuable at the deadline, but maybe he's moved in the off season. Francisco Alvarez would be very valuable at the deadline, but maybe he's moved in the off season where you can kind of think with a clear mind and you're not making a decision coming off of five losses in a row or coming off of five wins in a row saying we're going to give up a top ten prospect in baseball for two and a half years of shehe Langeliers and we got to add more The interesting name here that I can't decide where I sit on is Alvarez. Think like Francisco, Alvarez is someone that I'm still holding out a ton of hope for. And I've always just associated Alvarez and Gabby Moreno in my head, and that's the next group of star young catchers, and Moreno has become that for Arizona, and he's not going anywhere. Alvarez feels like he's been knocking on the door for the last two years, but then a thumb thing, and then a handmate and then something else. Where do you sit on Alvarez? Getting to watch this guy when he's on the field every day, do you think it makes sense to cash it on three and a half years remaining of Francisco Alvarez.
Speaker 3: I am so torn on this one. Again. I think there is a situation that can unfull where it makes sense, and it's the one that I laid out. You have teams that are going all in on Goodman or Lengeliers and they're not getting him, and all of a sudden, you get offered a crazy return for Francisco Alvarez where you're getting maybe it's a top one hundred starting pitching prospect that you think you can slot into irrotation next season. Maybe you're getting a big bat that you can move over like a can't miss first base prospect. You can finally have your answer there. I don't know exactly what that return is, but I do think that because the Mets have Luise Terrenz, who I think the front office absolutely loves, they extended him and he's really I mean, by the metrics, he's maybe the best defensive catcher in baseball. If you are going to continue to give Turrenz a ton of playing time and Alvarez is catcher DH, that offense looks a little different if Alvarez is dhing instead of catching. Now as a catcher, you're talking about a guy that despite all the injuries. Despite everything else, he has at this point in his career only run a WRC plus under one hundred and one time. His rookie season, when he hit twenty five homers. Last year was a one twenty four WRC plus. This year it's a one fourteen WRC plus. I absolutely love Francisco Alvarez. I would be very upset as a Mets fan to see him go somewhere else and blossom.
Speaker 4: But I also.
Speaker 3: Understand the state of the Mets. They are in full cellar. So that's the other thing compared to these other teams. You know, I think you know, for the Orioles, they got a there. They've probably been going back and forth on if they're selling or not. For the Mets, you've known your selling for a little bit and you're gonna be entertaining a ton of conversations. So I could see the Mets moved to sell Alvarez. The one last note I'll have is there was an article that came out probably about three or four weeks ago now from Will Sam and The Athletic, and it was an article saying the Mets catching could get a bounty at this deadline. And I feel like that came from the front office to gauge what kind of bounty they could get. It felt to me like a little bit of a leak to Will Salmon. Let's just throw out there that we're listening. And because of that, I can't shut out the possibility that Alvarez gets moved.
Speaker 4: So I have two follow ups on that. Do you think Francisco Alvarez is more valuable to another team kind of based on what you laid out than he is to the Mets right now and even moving forward?
Speaker 3: I think because of the need to catch a position like I could, like, for example, the Rays might need to catch her. I can see the Rays say, you know what, We're gonna make Francisco alvaas way better than he's ever been, and we're going to put the prospects on the table to get him because he's cheap. We have three and a half years of control, and he's gonna help us right now. So I think that the market really might might value him. I don't know if I want to say more than the Mets. Necessarily, I think the Mets still value him highly, but I think the market might meet the Mets value of him to the point where they decid, you know what, let's catch in two.
Speaker 4: Would he be by far the most valuable return that they would get at the deadline? Because that's why I get stuck with the Mets. Rebuild is or not rebuild? Sorry, I'm just selling at this deadline is who's going to really help you rebuild the pieces? Like, who's going to really help you recoup value other than you know Weaver and maybe Clay Holmes, Like who's the guy that's going to really shift the org a little bit and send things, you know into I would say, with momentum into the next season and into the off season, do you feel like Alvarez would be far and away the best return? So I I think.
Speaker 3: Alvarez would would bring you the best return, But I think Luke Weaver is a little bit close. And I think that's why Alvarez. My guess right now, if I deput my my on it, I think that Alvarez stays because it's so hard to replace Francisco Alvarez. But I think that and I also think the Mets can really as we'll talk about in a minute, they can corner the relief market. They have two rental starting pitchers. They can flip so I ultimately think it's move the three leivers, move homes and Perolta for whatever you can. I think that's going to give you enough of a return that you don't have to trade Francisco Alvarez, I will say. At the same time, we'll probably do it next week. We're working on a lot of mock trades behind the scenes here, and we were mocking some trades for the Cubs for an article we have coming. In one of those trades, I think it was Luke Weaver going the other way and the Mets getting Owen a Ers. So it's like, if you've got if you've made another trade where you got a potential catcher of the future, well now you're even more kind of willing to put Avaz on the table. The problem for the Mets is in the system right now. The catchers are too far away to think that you have somebody else us and I don't believe the Mets would want Louis Trenz to catch, you know, one hundred and twenty five games. So that's where I think it's it's really tough to move them, and ultimately it's going to be a lot easier to just move the pitching that's expiring and try to build around Alvarez, benj Ewing, Sodo Lindor and then the young pitching I have you in your rotation.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, all right, Let's pivot the conversation here rental starters, because the rental starter market is going to be one that could move quite a bit, and you can kind of clump out the top ten rental starting pitchers. And you did that for us, and the top two are Detroit Tigers. The top rental starter available, obviously is Trek Scooble, the back to back of America League. So Young Award winner first got to do that since Pedro in ninety nine and two thousand and then Casey Mice former number one overall pick. Schooble and Mice. We opened up that conversation already. And think you mentioned Scott Harris could be getting more calls about MAZ than school ball just based on where the money is. For Casey Mice, he'll be out about two million dollars for the final two months versus school who's gonna be owned about ten million dollars for the final two months. But I do want to clump in three and four to this conversation as well. Clay Holmes is valuable. Kevin Gosman is someone who confuses me because I would be willing to. I not like sell the farm for Kevin Gosman because it's a rental and he is a older veteran's darter. But I love watching Gosman throw and he feels like such a safety net in a playoff rotation. If he is my playoff three, I feel like I can win a lot of series. Where do you sit on Gosman?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I honestly I almost want to look at that that three through five because that was the toughest ones Holmes, Gosman, and Foster Griffin. Because Foster Griffin is having the best season of the three. He is the cheapest, only five million dollars, so per write that out right. But the thing about Foster Griffin is he was in the KBO for the past three years, so how do you feel like he is going to translate in a playoff race? And that's where Kevin Gosman is really valuable, as you mentioned, even though he's not having the best season. Even though his contract it's twenty three million, so whatever that comes out to maybe seven million something along those lines. Even with all of that, Kevin Gosman is the guy that I'd probably want to hand the ball to. At the same time, Clay Holmes was so good earlier this season. He does still have postseason experience grant to come out of the bullpen. But because Holmes is cheaper on the contract by pretty fair amount thirteen million this season, so that's probably like three and a half maybe four, I think Holmes is slightly more valuable. But I just think that of those rentals, I believe teams would look at Holmes and Gosman and say, you know what, even though Foster Griffin's been way better this year, I still trust those guys more in a playoff game.
Speaker 1: Do you agree with that sentiment orum with Gosman.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, just just got to see it up close and personal in the playoff run last year, You've got a guy that's thrown. You don't often get to acquire somebody that's thrown what fifty plus innings in the postseason, I believe in it's fifty six and a third, and you went out and made two starts in the World Series last year and was really effective. Overall. It was a great playoff run. In general last year, So I think from that lens, like if teams really value that, I think that's going to be something that's important with Gosman because yeah, you can you can acquire this breakout player, and the Griffin's been amazing. He might just go out there and keep throwing, but it's also never been there, so you just don't know. The other aspect that I think is fascinating is Holmes because Holmes looked like he was really putting it all together. So if somebody looks at that and says, look, assuming he's healthy and we see him throwing the ball, well, like we think this guy's the most effective of the bunch, I could also see that. I think the Holmes Griffin thing is interesting, but I do understand like the Gosman just been there, done that, even though he has just been so jeckoing highe this year, which could maybe spook some teams too.
Speaker 3: One other note on Holmes, I think if he had gone down with an elbow injury or something, the value is not there. He got hit in the leg with the comebacker and fractured his fibulous so I just think he's I'm sure he's been able to throw this whole time, and I just imagine that you're you're gonna be getting an arm that's pretty fresh down the stretch too, Yeah, which I think teams will look at and say, all right, there's no reason why Clay Holmes can't pick up where he left off. That's one guy though, He's gonna make a start next week. And like you were talking before, Jack about the Cole Hamill situation, that's one where that start is gonna be over analyzed a lot because if he comes back he gives up nine runs, you're not gonna get anywhere near the value. If he comes back and looks like he hasn't you know, skipped to be even if it's seventy five pitches, but he gives you, you know, five scoreless innings, I think team will say, all right, same guy, we're gonna we're gonna trade for what he was before the injury.
Speaker 1: Yeah, makes perfect sense. Arm, you had something else, no.
Speaker 4: That that was that was kind of part of it us and say like how many highs are going to be on that Clay home start when he when he comes back. And I think the one thing would just be kind of like the landing spot to see how he's if he's able to have the same level of command that he had before. And I so one comment. I just saw a couple of people confuse on the Joe Ryan mutual option. This isn't your typical mutual option where it gets declined eye one side and he's a free agent. It's a mutual option to fore go arbitration. If one side declines a mutual option, then they just go to arbitration. So you still have the year of control. Just to clarify that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it is a one and a half year by for Joe Ryan, which is why he is not a top ten rental starter on just Baseball dot com. The next group of guys Freddy Peralta of the Mets, Shane Bieber the Blue Jays, Robbie Ray of the Giants, and then Trevor Rodgers of the Orioles, and Brady Singer of the Cincinnati Reds. Hand up. I probably wouldn't be touching Brady Singer. It was bombs away at the beginning of the year. Brady Singer scares me quite a bit. Trevor Rodgers is an interesting one to me because it's just so volatile. I look at this next group of guys. There's a lot of unknown with Bieber, a lot of unknown. Freddy Peralta, I think is still going to command a decent haul because of the name value and because of what he has done and things that he could snap it into gear over the course of a single start. But my eyes go to Robbie Ray. Man. I think there are a lot of teams out there that want a quality left handed starter in their hunt for October and once they get into October. As someone that has not seen the value to the one hundredth percentile of Robbie Ray over the course of the life of this podcast, hand up, I think Robbie Ray is pretty damn valuable at this deadline.
Speaker 4: I like that shout too. When I watch him, I feel like it should be way better than the peripherals are. Yeah, Like you look at his strikeout numbers. How was the only striking out seven point eight per nine. I don't know, but he's effective out there, and we have back to back years now Robbie Ray just being very very effective, you know, and being in the load to mid three. So I think that is a guy that, yeah, plenty of teams would would love to add to the phone and that was gonna be my question kind of is the stacking there, Like Shane Bieber looking much better off off of the last start. He's another guy where I think start by start because it was finally good, it was so bad off the understandable was off the il. If he has a couple of good starts, I think he really like validates that spot or maybe climbs a little bit more if he has a couple other duds, Like would you think he slips pink to a little bit lower. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Shane Bieber the reason why I put him where I did it just because I think there's gonna be teams that are gonna look at what happened last year and they're gonna say, you know what last year it was he was coming off TJ and he found a way to be very valuable for the Blue Jays. I think that's gonna help him a little bit. When it comes to Robbie Ray, I was really torn on him because, like you mentioned, the peripherals kind of suggest that he's not as good as the era. But again, you watch him pitch and he's a veteran, So I think there's teams that are gonna like him The other thing that kind of dragged him down, which is contract. He's getting paid twenty five million this season. If the Giants ate that down, which I think they should, all of a sudden, like Robby Ray shoots up this list, if you don't have to pay whatever it is, you know, eight million dollars for the rest of the season of Robby Ray. And let's just say they eat five of that and now it's okay. I got to pay three million dollars in prospect, and then I think Robbie Ray is above Trevor Rodgers. I think he might be above Bieber and theoretically above par Alta as well. So the money is what kind of slid him down the rankings. I do have a couple of Freddy Peralta things that I want to ask you guys about, But if you want to run out the rest of the list, then I can give you a couple of my questions here.
Speaker 1: I think I'm good on the rest of the list Rogers and Singer. Again, it's a little too hot and too cold at points for me. I know Singer is on a hot stretch. I appreciate Ray for pointing that out in the YouTube comments here, but Singer Man again, it was very not good at the beginning of the year, and that just scares me.
Speaker 4: He's more of the guy that gets you to the playoffs, like in terms of like you just need someone to get on the mound, give you innings, and then in the playoffs it's like mop up the yeah, yeah you we don't need young leverage, and those guys are valuable.
Speaker 3: We see it all the time.
Speaker 4: At the deadline, those guys, you know, be moved and get at least some sort of return. Rogers is a little bit different where I could see if he's clicking, I can give him a playoff start. Right, We've seen him be fantastic, so I think his ceilings a little litle bit higher and that's where it becomes interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, fake take us to Freddie Parlton.
Speaker 3: Okay, one last note for everyone was curious about rental starters. Brady Singer just got the spot. But there's three guys that are the same picture to me. Brady Singer, Jack Flaherty, Tyler Mallley. All of them I think could get moved. But it's just because teams need pitching. That pat getting to per Alta, I did a show on this last week. If Matt Arnold and David Stern's get on the phone, you think they just say, hey, let's do trade backs and go Jet Williams for par Alta straight up and just call it a day, because Jet's not having the best year in the Brewers system for the Mets. Optically it's not great. But at the same time, then you pretty much traded Brandon Sprote for Tobias Myers and you get Jet back in your system that needs some infield help. So that's just a crazy trade idea that I kind of love, and I'm curious what your guys thoughts is on it.
Speaker 4: I asked you when we talked about this, is like, can you optically do that? Can you survive that? It almost feels like like a rebate, like you just getting a partial refund quickly.
Speaker 1: It's like when game stop. It's like I played it once, but here's eight dollars.
Speaker 4: That's the hard part. And I wonder if the Brewers at this point, like one side maybe they'd say, hey, we we really think we can get them right. But the other side is like, I know they were very excited to acquire Jet. I know Jet hasn't had the great, the greatest yri ever either. But they seem very hell bent on acquiring Jet in that deal, so I would struggle to see how they would then trade him back. So I'm gonna I'm gonna say no, I don't think it's possible.
Speaker 3: I just wonder if the Mets can get a prospect as good as Jet, well as you're Freddy Prault at this point. But I'll sit here and wait on that. Uh. The other part of this, there's a guy that's likely a rental if the Padres put him on the table. And people who read this article are gonna be surprised that I put Michael King below Freddie PEARLTA in trade value, and I want to explain that really quick and see your guys thoughts. So King's making nine million is ye, it's a super weird contract. I have no idea what he got this year onion pots or whatever. But what I do know, if he opts in, it's two years fifty eight million. Also, if he opts out, he gets a five million dollar buyout. So I just the way that Peller has structured these contracts Pavetta and King, it makes them very hard to trade. So this would be a guy again likely a rental. He's pitching well enough that he should just opt out and an acquiring team shouldn't worry about it except for, oh, I got to pay him five million after the season, and also if he gets hurt with the guy that has had an injury history. Now he's opting into fifty eight million for the next two years after this, and I think that kind of makes him, I don't want to say, untradeable, but very unlikely.
Speaker 4: To be moved. Here's the downside. It's kind of that it's not full poison pill, but it's it's poison pill adjacent there. I feel like where Yeah, I mean if the Padres said we'll cover the buyout if he opts out, maybe with them, why would the Padres do that? Like maybe the new ownership would. But the sale isn't even official. There's so many moving parts there. I don't even know.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 4: I do think that that's enough. But you had him behind who was that?
Speaker 3: So I put and ended up being Parolta at twenty one, King at twenty two, Bieber at twenty three, So he was like right in the middle there, and I thought about putting them above those guys, and I just think that I still think that even though per Alta has been terrible, that there's going to be a team that says, Okay, I have to pay him two million dollars and it's Freddy Peralta. We can get him right where it's just compared to, hey, I got a pay king five million, I fije ops out, and I'm taking on so much risk if something happens where I just I kind of think that that Peralta still has more value. And I'd almost s like I even labored on Bieber, but it's like Bieber's been hurt this year, so that's where I said, all right, he's still a little more valuable than that. But I just like you said it is it's kind of poison pillar, Jason. It's it's really tough for a team to take on that level of risk.
Speaker 4: I think that's fair because I'd just be nervous every start if an often injured guy gets hurt. Your hostage now for the next season, and you just tied up a ton of money.
Speaker 1: Yep, all right, that was our rental starter conversation. We are gonna end with bullpen arms and why there might not be too many available, but one last word from our friends at Hampton Farms.
Speaker 4: Just Baseball's number one ranked peanut prospect is none other than the Hampton Farms in Shell peanut hit tool plus plus that crack of the shell is elite power easy plus seven grams of protein per serving makeup great source of fiber in America's number one in shell brand. This is a five tool snack future value eighty grade. Get the top peanut prospect in the produce aisle or twenty five percent off at Hamptonfarms dot com with code just Baseball. That's one word, just Baseball for twenty five percent off at Hamptonfarms dot Com.
Speaker 1: Ripping the shell on peanut and just taking it straight to the mouth is absolutely insane from him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for those that are listening on audio, you got to check out the YouTube ad for Hampton Farm Peanuts just.
Speaker 1: To full full.
Speaker 4: Didn't crack the shell eight the peanut crazy plat crazy.
Speaker 1: It's like eating an egg, like just getting the shell, taking it on, all right, just popping it down at it. It does seem kind of dangerous. All right. We're tying a ball on the show with bullpen help and the relievers that could be available, but it's tough to know which relievers are available right now. Ryan Finkelstein, how did you interpret the reliever market. It's near impossible for me to look at it and say, outside of the met relievers and the Rocky relievers and the Giant relievers, allegedly, there are some other people available. I have no idea how that works.
Speaker 3: Last year we saw Mason Miller get traded, Juan Durang to get traded, David Bednar, Ryan Helson, Griffin, Jacks, Louis Varlin, Camilla de Evalt, Tyler Rogers, Kyle Finnigan. There's not those names in this market. If you look at the upcoming free agent class, the best pictures are on good teams, so Roldest Chapman, David Bednar, right as Elliglesias. And then you look at the rental list we're coming out with. As we've alluded to the rental starters that's going to be in our for us, We're gonna do one on rental bats. We couldn't come up with ten rental relievers because there's not that many, And all of a sudden, you're getting to guys like I think maybe JG. Brubricker might be a rental like yeah, JG. Brubrick, Like it's just and even like Antonio's sense of tel has been good this year, but he still has a starter contract, so there's still.
Speaker 1: Caleb Ferguson's value went down, mind you, Caleb Ferguson's value went down the other.
Speaker 3: Day for for cussing out the umpire. Yeah, is as bad as as Valdez hitting his catcher. What do you think?
Speaker 1: I don't think that's as bad, but I think it's pretty bad.
Speaker 3: But yeah, there's not a lot on this market. And that's where I think if the Padres wanted to all of a sudden, they put Mason Miller and Adrian Morehane on the market, and they don't have to go into some crazy you know, rebuild or any any crazy fire sale. I mean they can trade those two guys and I mean still theoretically even compete this season. So that's a team at thick and corner of the market. And then the Mets, I think they're going to do really well in their relievers. You know, Mintor and Railey are gonna get moved. Those are arguably the best two rentals on the block. And then you have Luke Weaver with a year and a half of control, and I think they might even get overwhelmed on Juascar Brazabam. He's got three and a half years of control. The Mets basically control this guy's career because I don't know what happened when he was with the Marlins. The service time is a riddle to me. He has been pitching for a long time and he still has three and a half. Like, it doesn't make sense, but I think he had a lot of visa issues.
Speaker 4: I remember very often whenever I was around the ballpark and spring training, one of the most common questions it'd be like, is braza Ban making it? Do we know where Braza Ban's at yet? And fortunately ironed that all out. But yeah, he's gonna be under team control into thirty six.
Speaker 3: Just read this, though it doesn't make sense. Thirty two innings in twenty twenty two, fifty eight and two thirds and twenty three, fifty one and two thirds, twenty four sixty three innings last year, forty seven and two thirds this year, and he still has three and a half years of team control. He's arbitration eligible for the first time. Lect you know, this year was his first Rberry. He's a super two guy, arbitration eligible for three more years, and he still has an option.
Speaker 1: That doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: And he's thirty six years old. I feel bad for the guy. I mean, he's just never gonna get paid. But again, in this market, the Mets my appeal to get a return that you that would shock you for brazenbon, but he's he's under control for so much that I don't even know if they move him. Those other arms though, I think Weaver, Mentor and Rali are probably.
Speaker 1: All gone, Yeah, I hear you on that. No, the Mets absolutely controlled the reliever market. I think that's abundantly clear. Rayley is an interesting one to me, where it's like it feels like every single buyer could be in on someone like Rayley or mintor uh with WEA were obviously the big dogs are gonna be hunting that because you do take on a oh let's see, is that uh he said, a seven figure reliever, an eight figure reliever. You take on an eight figure reliever next year because he'd be making about eleven million dollars, so Weaver, it seems like the market would shrink just a little bit. But with a guy like Rayley, a lefty specialist. It feels like that is a desired bullpen roll for so many teams that are solid right now. So yeah, like middle of the pack relief market. The Mets absolutely control the other names that jump out on this list. I like, I don't even know, to be honest with you, man, I guess Holderman in Cleveland because he's excess for them. But Holderman's been really good this year and he's back to throwing ninety nine to one hundred mile an hour sinkers. So that's another name that jumps to the forefront of my mind. But it's gonna be boring and super underwhelming on the reliever front.
Speaker 4: I want to shout out TJ and tone Crazy just the amount of elbow arm issues he's had to overcome and the fact that he's having the success that he's having at the big league level through all that, I think he's an interesting guy. You get a year and a half through and a half minor league deal, but referencing the article, it's a year and a half of control through arbitration. I mean Antone would be a guy that also elite clubhouse guy. I think teams would love to add to the fold there, and I think the Reds are very colely going to get a cash in on him. I just think that's a fun one and a fun story there. But I think all roads lead back to Mason Miller and what the heck they're going to do. Yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 3: It's it's crazy with me. I just the question is that today I think it came out. I think it was the Athletic Report. They want to top one hundred prospects for Mason Miller. You know, I feel like there's a team that would do that. No, I mean it's still you know, and it's the one thing too for the padres is like Mason Miller now isn't too expensive, but he's going to make a ton of money through arbitration, so it's not even like, you know, he's not going to cost anything. He made four million first year of arb and he's turning in one of the best seasons like ever for a reliever. By the end of arbitration, he could be looking at like legitimate closer money like he could be He's probably going to set a new benchmark for what relievers are going to make in arbitration, and like that final year in twenty two nine. Is it crazy to think he's close to twenty million by then.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's crazy.
Speaker 4: He's going to be the new precedent setter without a doubt. I also think like that it's a good point jack with Weaver with how many people are going to be lining up to take that on. But I think because of what the market has now become, even for relievers, and how good Weaver's been, and if Mason Miller is not available or you just have to give up the Kings Ransms, that it is that's the most impactful guy that you can add. And you set up your team for next year too, where if you were planning to shop in the free agent market, like you're gonna have to pay more than that for Weaver or or reliever of Weaver's caliber next year. So it sets you up to where you have a run this year and you have a run next year. It's still I think a really reasonable number. That's so I think Weaver is going to bring in a sneaky haul because it's not going to be nearly what Mason Miller requires. But there's gonna be a lot of teams that are immediately priced out of that and say, but we're willing to make a splash, And I think there's gonna be a fun bidding war on Weaver. Where I think it's interesting with Mason Miller is you have this unprecedented opportunity to make the game eight innings for your team, and we've fully seen that. And I know people are gonna say, well, Prower gave up too much, blah blah blah, and we all knew what Mason Miller was capable of. But Mason Miller proceeded to go and he started it with the athletics, but proceeded to go to the padres and reach new heights. So yes, he lost a year of control, but he's also become better and more dominant to the point where it's like he's so far and away the best reliever in the game, and so far and away I think one of the best relievers we've seen in a really long time. That I think there's a very valid case from AJ Prewer that's like, I don't think he's much less valuable than he was when I acquired him. And even if you think I overpaid, I still want eighty to ninety cents on the dollar for what I paid, And will a team have a Leo Devreze to give up. Probably not, But if you have two top one hundred guys, I don't think it's that far off from Leo Devrees and then a slew of solid forty to maybe a couple forty five future value guys. So I'm just curious to see if anyone makes that splash. I think that there's a good chance they two, because even if you don't make it happen this year, you have so much control. You have a guy that's gonna bring Not often do closers bring that level of eyeballs to your ball club too. I think what he brings from an extentment from a fan perspective, I think, just generally speaking, this is a star that you're bringing to the fold. And it's not often that you can say that about a closer. But Mason Miller is gonna sell us some jerseys like he's gonna be a guy that his intro is gonna be part of the reason why people go to games and stay beyond the fact that you're getting a guy that legitimately ends the game almost every single time. In the ninth and we'll do that now for four playoff runs would be four playoff runs that you would.
Speaker 2: Have with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hate to plant this thought, but I'm thinking about like the best possible prospect that could be going back to them. And I really don't think the Dodgers are in the Mason Miller hunt at all. But is host way to Paula too much for Mason Miller at this point? Probably don't think so.
Speaker 4: The crazy thing is today they could say, well, we don't want to go to Paula. We'll just give you hope in Cantaro or we'll give you hope in s Seroda or whatever, and like even then proer, like, how do you say no to that? The only thing was would be in division is the problem. But for the sake of just like value, I think it's pretty crazy. The other one that I don't think we'd ever see because I just don't see Brezel operating that way. But the Red Sox have so much starting pitching that you could get big league arms, like, you could get multiple big league arms, you could get tons of prospect talent if you want it as well. And then the Chapman to Mason Miller thing in the eighth and ninth. Yeah, would be the most ridiculous thing in I think we've ever seen when it comes to the eight to nine combination. And I think for the Padres, you'd be able to get some starters. Now, like, where do some of these guys fit in? Patrick Sanderval could be a throw in and he's probably one of the better starters right now immediately with the way he's looking. But I mean, you know, if Connolly early is healthy, with some of the other guys that they've got, Jake Bennett's been fantastic, and then you throw in some top level you know, prospects as well, that helps you now and later. I just I think that could be an interesting one, and I think you could try to theorize that with several other teams and it could be very fascinating. Could that be, you know, a route for some of these other ball clubs that you know, don't want to trade from the farm too much, but have starting pitching to be able to do it.
Speaker 1: I want to end the show on one wild card team. Here in the Miller conversation, Uh, you guys know where Miller's from.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Miller, He's from I know, went to Gardner Webb, but I don't know if it was because it was close.
Speaker 1: To home or not. He's from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh needs bullpen help really bad. Charrington is effectively operating for his gig right now, and I'm just thinking of package leading with Florentino like Seth Fernandez wouldn't be going anywhere. No, but if Florentino leads with another young big leaguer, that's good.
Speaker 3: I mean, they can they can't afford the four million, you know.
Speaker 1: See I think they could for a Pittsburgh guy.
Speaker 3: I have another team I'd want to throw out there, and that's Seattle.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I One of the guys that's ranked really low on my top fifty here in trade deadline value is the Louis Castillo. Because you're looking at twenty four point one to five million next year and then a kind of a poison pill ish option of twenty five million investing for twenty twenty eight if it's one hundred and eighty innings, and I just don't want to be the team that tries to manipulate his innings next year, so it doesn't get that option. So I just don't know if Castillo has that much trade value. Would Seattle say, you know what, We're just we're better off keeping Castillo as our five starter and trading one of our young arms for Mason Miller. And I think like that that's where I go as a team, that makes perfect sense to make the move because then if you're if you're Preller, because I think the one thing we have to remember a J Preller, I think thought he was going to turn Mason Miller into a starting pitcher. And then Mason Miller got there and said, I'm gonna make plenty of money in arbitration. I'm not getting hurt. No, I'm a closer. And so that's and he's been amazing at that. But I think this would be a way to kind of get what you might have won it in the first place, which is a controllable young arm.
Speaker 1: And I keep on bringing Kirby man like Kirby for Mason Miller. How does that sound?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you could get more with the control. You could probably get them to attack something on there and get some position player help because there's a lot of good position players in that system that I think they'd be happy to bring in. And again with the way the Mariners drafted I'd be happy to bring in a prospect there. I do want to shout out though the Pirates thing. If it's Bubba and Florentino, you just say, Bubba, change of scenery. Set's gonna get up here sooner than we thought. It's hard to say no to that.
Speaker 1: Come on, man, I don't know, let's get frisky. You guys got anything else? Heck of a preview, man, I appreciate think you and Clay really putting all this together.
Speaker 3: I just hope they make If they make the Mason Miller trade, the Pirates are going to control the twenty twenty eight deadline with Skins and Miller. Are you kidding?
Speaker 4: I'm just I'm just hoping Preller goes crazy and saves this deadline, because otherwise I could see it being a little tame.
Speaker 3: Well, one quick note on I will say, as far as selling, not only do they have Miller more hone, they also could really get value for ty France. I just want to said, like ty France is making nothing, He's crushing lefties. He's a really good chip, and I honestly think if they leaned into it, they could even get something for someone like Gavin Sheet. So that's a team like if they lost six games, you know, six of the next eight or something, they're going to the deadlines getting if they decide to lean into it, I think they would get a lot. The only issue there is just like does Preller think that he has, you know, five more years this job? Or is he thinking like, I have no idea what this new ownership, how long I'm gonna be here? Screwed? I'm just going for it, which it feels like more of a Preller move.
Speaker 1: Yeah, certainly. So all right, I really appreciate everybody tuning into this one. Such a fun episode. Plenty more trade deadline stuff to happen over the next two weeks again, and we'll be Trade deadline is on Monday, August third, I believe, six pm Eastern time, So it's gonna be a fun one to monitor. That's all we got. You guys, got anything else? You gotta plug anything or no.
Speaker 3: I got the article and all the other good stuff we got. We've got a lot of deadline stuff coming.
Speaker 4: And tonight as we're listening to this, we'll be doing a minor league baseball simulcast on our YouTube. Come watch out with Us're gonna whip around some minor league games.
Speaker 1: And have some fun tomorrow night. We're live right now, so people are getting this on Wednesday. Yeah, tomorrow, excuse me, tomorrow, we'll be well. I was doing was plugging on the call up for the next day, but we'll be doing that.
Speaker 4: I think it'll be a lot of fun, uh, breaking down the minor leaguers, all the will of the games are happening. It's gonna be a lot of fun. And then also we're live on Whatnot. Link is in the episod description. If you've not been on what Not before, we're ripping tops. Chrome just came out today. It's loaded, loaded checklist wise. If you haven't been on there before, use that link. You got twenty five dollars to apply to our store, which could get you pretty much a break spot right away.
Speaker 1: Absolutely love it all right. We will talk to you guys tomorrow