Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 2: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball in.
Speaker 3: A brid egg Frida egg, the dreaded Frida egg Frida, egg Frida, egg Frida egg bride egg lie, I'm about ready to run off the golf course.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Friday Golf Podcast. Today I am joined by two great guests to talk about the US am This is one of the events that I am most excited about the rest of the golf calendar. The US Amateur will be played next week at Marion Golf Club. There will be extensive coverage on both Golf Channel and NBC. I think I probably got more excited about this. I spent a couple of days out at the Western m last week at Beverly, which was a great tournament, and it's an exciting year for am golf. Obviously, you have the Walker Cup and that kind of adds to the storylines for the US Amateur. But being at Marion, it just gives us a kind of a check in on Marion, which has undergone since we last saw it on you know, it played the Curtis Cup, a couple of years ago, but for a men's, big men stage. Last week saw this was a twenty thirteen US Open that Justin Rose won. So I can't wait for this week. I think it's gonna be appointment television. It'll be it'll be just a fascinating tournament to watch, and you know, we dive into it with two guests here. Up first, we'll be Brentley Romine from Golf Channel. He will be talking kind of about storylines and players for the US AM. Brentley does exceptional work on the collegiate and amateur game as well as covering the pro game. You know, someone that is versed in kind of covering young players and then just knowing everybody's backstory on the PGA Tour because of his coverage of junior and amateur golf over the years. So great to have Brentley on. And then Garrett Morrison joins me to talk about Marion for about thirty minutes, which was which was a joy. So one of the great American venues and in the next wave of young stars. Obviously, Miles Russell has been having quite a summer. Preston Stout will be in the field. Should be an awesome, awesome tournament. So before we get to Brentley, let's talk about our partner. If you're serious about your golf game, your vision on the course matters. That's where Shady Ray's golf collection comes in. These are built for the course. Their color rush lens tech enhances contrast that helps you track the ball in the air, read greens better, and cut the harsh glare. With lightweight that stay put through your swing, there's no slipping when you're lining up a putt. I've loved the Shady Rays golf stuff. It's been awesome. I see the ball better as my old age, I've getting harder trackballs that fly really far. I notice when I wear these, I just see the ball better. The contrast really works. So I would I recommend them. On top of their other shades that are great lifestyle sunglasses. Also some cool things that Shady Rays does. If they're lost or broken, they'll send you a new pair with their Lost and Broken protection program. If you drop them in a lake, they replace them. If you knock them off on the cart path, they replace them. Sit on one day, they replace them. Go to Shady rays dot com and check out their golf collection. And grab a pair with the Lost and Broken protection. We've teamed up with Shady Rays to bring you an exclusive offer. Go to Shady rays dot com use the promo code fried that's just fried, like like the food fried for forty percent off two plus pair of polarized sunglasses. Try for yourself. The Shades rated five stars by over three hundred thousand people. All right, let's get to Brentley Romi. All right, Brentley, welcome on. It is peak amateur golf season. The Western Am just wrapped up. The USAM is barreling down. It'll be played next week at Marion Golf Club and really it's kind of the last tournament before Walker Cup selections. It's a rare back to back Walker Cup year. They'll be playing at La Hinch And it seems like there's just a lot of storylines to talk about. And I think, you know, just generally, in the last couple of years, there's been a few with expanded coverage, there's been a few events that have really I think started to grow and pop popularity, and that's really I think the us AM. I think if you go back, I think one of the big splashes for the USAM most of the Banded Dudes USAM where it was on in primetime, and it felt like a real moment for the USAM where it started kind of to grow in popularity. And I think last year was a really wonderful year for the USAM. Obviously you had the Nile Shields down again story, which was a huge story, and again on in primetime at Olympic Club. And this year you go to one of the most famous golf courses in the world. Marion, I think it'll be an amazing tournament. What is your favorite part of covering the amateur game? You, I would say, are on the forefront. You cover the men's professional game and the amateur game. You go to the majors of both of these levels of play. What's your favorite part of ring the amateur scene?
Speaker 3: Well, first off, any thanks for having me on. Secondly, you talk about how it's grown in stature since like twenty twenty. It's hard for me to tell, because you know, I've been obsessed with it, you know, since I started covering golfer Golf Week back in twenty eleven, twenty twelve. But I do think that's that's right, and probably my favorite part about it is and This is really kind of amateur college golf writ large too, Like it's just telling the stories that people probably haven't heard yet. Like Nile shields Don again, like we had heard about him. We had heard about his dad, you know, our buddy Lawrence Donagan, a former journalist and rock star, but no one had heard in the general golf public about Nile shields Don. Again. Same for Jimmy Abdo. I mean, Abdomania was really storyline b last year at Olympic Club coming over from Lebanon, and like, to me, those are the stories that I like to get in and tell and talk to family, talk to college coaches or instructors or whoever. And then you watch these really cool Cinderella runs. You just really don't get that. And professional golf because I mean, to be on the PGA Tour you have to earn your card and you know they're getting rid of Monday qualifiers pretty much across the board, so you don't get that kind of story like you do out of us am plus, like you've said this a lot, the golf course. If the golf course isn't one of the main storylines going in, it's probably not going to be a very good golf tournament and with USGA championships, the golf course is usually always one of the story, you know, top stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think this year will be probably the big story. I think we're gonna kind of track down three stories for this year's us AM. There's three big storylines. Then you're gonna give us some players to watch. The golf course to me is the big, big story this week. It is. Last time it hosted a big time championship was the twenty thirteen US Open. Justin Rose obviously won it. I think it was a kind of a moment in time in terms of the golf course setup. It was extremely narrow fairways, extremely penal rough set up to kind of curb scoring. It wasn't really putting Marion on display. Since then, the golf course has been had a historical renovation by gil Hants. They are much wider fairways, corridors. It seems like those from the renovation are exactly what will be put out there this year this week for the USAM and it feels like a real, i would say test run for the twenty thirty US Open which will be held there. This is a golf course that you know, maybe can stretch just a nudge over seven thousand yards. It is not a long golf course. The par threes are are very long there. You're gonna have a lot where you're gonna get long irons as par threes and par fives. There are a lot of wedges available. But I am fascinated to see how Marion will play for the world's best amateur players. You were out there for media day. Was that the first time you've been out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, first time I had been in the Philadelphia area. We played. We got in fourteen holes, so I didn't play one through three or eighteen, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had the same the main you get the main hits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean we started on on four and had a nice chip in on six and the one thing. A couple of things I did notice, And you know, keep in mind, this was two weeks ago. There's probably you know, almost a month run up before the actual championship. From that point, things were pretty soft, and I think it was because of the rain and it was it had been very humid, so things weren't as fast, Like particularly on five, how that green slopes down and you can play it off the right and have it kind of run run down to the hole. It was very difficult to do that. Play balls were kind of getting hung up and so it was just really soft. And then the rough was pretty gnarly and juicy around the greens. I think Ben Kimball, the who had the set up there, he said the goal is to start it at four inches. I didn't see that yet, kind of off the fairways. Like I was able to get six irons on the green, including on sixteen where what do they call that little courier at no man's land like on sixteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the sandy waste area, which you find if you find yourself in there, probably feels like an.
Speaker 3: Abyss and in a crazy green too, where there's like that backshelf and that huge fall off and basically every shot ends up in that front area unless you hit a really good shot, so it's a really tough two put. But yeah, the rough was not super thick, like, it was very kind of patchy in spots. So hopefully that you know, they can get that I think it's bluegrass or maybe they've changed it since back in the day, but hopefully they can get that point super thick because like I don't know, I mean, you you'd probably be a better exploiner that than I would. But I feel like maybe it's a good thing that you can take on greens from the rough and not just have to play hackout ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's a it's a balance, right, It's tricky, right, like you just don't want it the I think the balance in and high level Ben's golf is like, how do we make it not a just a bomber fest and reward accuracy? And I think Marion will do a lot of that with just the the tilt in the greens, there's just a lot of slope in the greens. How do you reward accuracy and when you're when the golf course is shorter, And I think in a way it does because you you know, distance it a little bit muted when you have so many holes that are you know, sub four hundred yard par fours or sub four really for the pro game or for the high level am game, it's like sub four hundred and fifty yard par fours, which is insane to think. I mean when I was a kid, four hundred and fifty yards seemed like it was like a a mile a mile long. Part four Now it's you know, driver wedge for these kids. But anyways, yeah, I think, I think, I'm I think we've seen this with a lot of courses where they've they've put the kind of US am in the ahead of the of the US Open as kind of like a test run, and I think they like to they like to see how the course plays because it's super instructive of as to where the the pro game will be in a few years. I saw it last week. I was out of the Western m a couple of days. It's it's amazing how good so many of these amateurs hit the ball. I think the real difference right now between high level amateur players and pros is not necessarily it's it's mostly decision making and and the ability to hit a lot of off speed shots where and what I mean by off speed shots is your your controlled wedges, your flighted wedges, your your three quarter you know, hold off iron shots. It's like, you know, if you thought about it in pitching terms, it's developing your you know, your your third and fourth pitches. These all these kids seemingly hit the ball extraordinarily good, hit it out of the center really well, and where they where they can brush up and get take their games to the next level. Is around like kind of the finer points of the game, whether it be short games and and and wedge play rather than you know, it's like just amazing to see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and that's why someone like Miles Russell is so good at this age, and why Jackson Coyven's had success. And you know, guys who can do some of the things that most of the elite amateurs can't, like, like you said, like the decision making, the confidence, the short game, kind of the creativity around the greens. And I mean that's why Miles Russell's had some success is because the short game is probably the best in amber golf, like go even by far the best putter amongst the elite AMers. I mean, there's probably guys who play amateter golf at some you know, lower level d one who's probably statistically maybe a better putter than Jackson coyven, but at least in terms of someone who's going to strike it at an elite level as well, he's he's by far the best I've seen. You mentioned the par four's like over four hundred yards I count him. There's only six and there's only two over five hundred, which you go back to, you know, Oakmond and Cherry Hills and Pinehurst and all these kind of US Open previews for these US Ams, like pretty much every every part four was like four sixty or or more unless it was set up as like a short driveable part four. And so, I mean that's interesting. You the total yardage is going to be sixty nine thirty nine, which is only about seventy yards more than it was in five when Dodo Molinari won the last US Amateur at Marion. So I think that kind of speaks to your point that you know, Marion's defenses are are more than just adding length to holes.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's nowhere to go.
Speaker 3: It's twenty acres, I think, and it's like an.
Speaker 2: L It's tiny, tiny, It's amazing the golf course fits into the land. It does. I think the the the big thing is, uh, this is gonna be a ball control week. It's gonna be a week of restraint. I'll be curious to see. I think this is like the big question of the tournament is if the rough is at a manageable height, does but does bomb and gouge become the prevalent UH strategy and the strategy that wins out over someone you know, taking irons off te's and being tactical. I personally think that restraint is gonna be key. Yeah, you're gonna hit, You're gonna have to hit some drivers, but there's gonna be a lot of holes where if you can get yourself in the right spot, you will you will have a huge, huge reward and being able to control your spin and distance with a with a wedge from the fairway. That's that's what I find just with like the general belief of how you play golf for these juniors is it is just drive it up close and figure it out so often, and that's what I'm really curious to see if that becomes the prevalent strategy out there. Let's get to some players who you know, like in terms of storylines, like what's your what's your biggest player driven storyline?
Speaker 3: Like to me, it's to me it is Miles. I know Preston Stout's the top rank Dameter in the world, and the top Rankdameter hasn't won the USM since Peter yu Line in twenty two, who you know, by the way, was an Oklahoma State cowboy as well. But to me, it's just Miles with the way that he's played the opportunity to become the youngest US Amateur champ. Ever, he's a few months younger than ben On was when when he set the record, And I feel like at this stage, like as a golf fan and kind of the golf community, like we just love these young stars. I mean, kind of the point of Jackson Coyven, Like we're just so eager to jump on, like who's the next big thing? And to me and everyone I've talked to, from scouts to agents to equipment reps, like Miles is the real deal. Like he is the best junior golfer that they've seen since Tiger Woods, like hands down. And that's not just like a couple people saying that, that's like the common thread. And so for me, with the summer that he's had, I'm a little bit worried about the amount of golf he's played, you know, playing however many rounds that was to make the final of the US Junior and then deplay the Western and making into match play this week, and now he's got a week off and turn around and go play. You know, if he's going to win. He's got to play seven eight rounds of high level championship golf. We'll see if he can. You know, he has the endurance to do that. He's kind of a small guy and he's been struggling a little bit off the tee and I think when you get tired, you can get a little bit more wayward than usual. But again, like if you say ball control like flighted wedges, short game like can make putts like, to me, Miles is built for this course. So along with a few other guys. But you know, I really think that's probably the big storyline is is Ken Miles Russell come out and do what what Bobby Jones did way back in the day. I mean, people know, people know about nineteen thirty, right, Bobby Jones completing the Grand Slam, But he won his first us Am six years before at when I believe he was around the same age as as Miles was. So so to me, Miles is is storyline number one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I you know, I think the you know, being out at the Western Uh, one of the things that stuck with me was just the gravity that he possessed possesses he kind of has this like care free attitude. His his demeanor inside the ropes, well there weren't ropes up, but his demeanor while in the configurition is like very he's loose, you know, Like that's the thing. I think. You see so many of these kids that are uptight and trying to be something that they've been told they need to be. I think one of the things I took away from the week was like I'm amazed at how comfortable he is in his own skin, and he seemingly plays golf the way he is in real life, right where he's just kind of got this like little, this care free attitude, and you see it. He converses with the players, He converses with people, you know, he he kind of is a breath of fresh air in terms of like we see kind of this conveyor belt of players who act the same way, and it's like, we can't we suppress all the emotions out of golf. We suppressed like don't talk to your playing partners. We have to be locked in, and he kind of is the antithesis of that. And I'm pretty excited, you know, I tend to be a contrarian. I'm pretty excited about about Miles Russell. That being said, I think there's some really really good other players like Tyler Watts, I think is super impressive, not that much older than Miles Russell. And obviously you hit on press and stout, but but I think you know, to your point about how much golf byles are playing, he's seventeen, I don't think. I don't think he's worried about the violeage he's putting on. I think this kid's out there loving what he's doing and and just going at chasing championships. And you know, I think like a story is like he's come up short a lot, you know here, whereas like he gets to the semis of the Western he gets to the finals of the US Junior, he comes up short. My big question like can he punch through with the US AM And it's so hard to do it in these match play championships. There's fluky there. You know, anybody can beat anybody on a given day. What's more telling is is the obviously the stroke play results winning the Western AM. You know, he's he's he's.
Speaker 3: Something at the Junior too. Yeah, I mean, yeah, this is the same championship.
Speaker 2: It's the first player in history to do that medalists of the Junior and medalist at the Western am I believe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean thanks to the great research of our guy called golf book David Tennyson, Who I mean he thought I liked college golf or left college golf. This guy like eats, sleeps, and breathes college golf like he's awesome. Like he's he's They've they've done this really cool website for college golf too, for record keeping and all that. But yes, I just wanted to give him a quick quick shout out. But one more thing on Miles too. Have you heard the uh and I think it's a perfect nickname, But have you heard the nickname for Miles that I think sums it up really well? What Benjamin Button? So he looks like he's about twelve, but he acts like he's like forty five, like he's been on tour for twenty years. I mean, the guy like he's like talking to like a full grown adult and he's been that way for two or three years. So yeah, I mean, I'm a huge fan. He's actually he's actually fairly aggressive too, and I think that comes from the confidence. Like at the US Open qualifier when Charlie was on the bag. Miles was in that playoff and my mind's blinking a little bit. Get who he was. He was on that last playoff hole with because Ryder Cowan had gotten through the hole before. But the guy he's playing against hooks it into the water. It's a par five. All Miles has to do is basically lay up and then wedgehn and make a par and then he's through. He just pulls out a five iron and flags it. And I asked him afterwards, I'm like, did you think about playing like laying up or you know, playing it safe? And he just kind of like laughed and was like, now like like I'm going to hit the five, irony, why wouldn't I? So I just I love that he's like super confident in himself, super aggressive, and yeah, I just, you know, hope we don't get some some fluky winner. Hopefully we get someone like Miles or pieced out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean there are a lot of names on this list that wouldn't be fluky winners. And it'll be it'll be fascinating to see what you said about is like when you watch him do an interview, he does look like he's like a forty two year old tour pro the way, like just like his body language in an interview is so comfortable. He's so comfortable talking to people. It's it's wild to see.
Speaker 3: He's also have you seen how many high level lefties there are coming up right now? To mean you mentioned Tyler Watts, I mean Luke Colton. We haven't even talked about Luke Colton. Another you know, he's going to Vanderbilt. I mean three b Reeby's lefty, Philip Dunnam. I believe is is a lefties going to Alabama. I mean there there are tons like it's it's pretty insane, Like I don't know what what could explain that.
Speaker 2: I think it's the proliferation of lefty clubs being available. What honestly, like this sounds crazy. When I was a kid, you know, early two thousands, it was like hard to get left handed equipment and people would just be like, you're a righty, Like I.
Speaker 3: Played lefty, yeah, you do you right left handed?
Speaker 2: No? But I played hockey left handed, And I wonder like, if it was different, would I have played golf left handed? But it was just not the time, uh then, to to do that because equipment was just hard to find. I mean, you could probably talk to Bacon about this. Bacon is uh He's always like, well, I probably I could be able to Whenever I talk about retro clubs, He's like, well, I probably won't be able to find that club because it's hard to find left handed equipment like that. So, uh yeah, I think that's some of it. I think some of it's that, and there's I think there's a nature of some of the golf. I think some golf design kind of like fits a fade or fits a draw, and right handers used to hit more draws, but now lefties hit fades on, you know, And I just think that's it's just you know, you could go through every golf course, but for example, like Augusta Nashville is the famous one. It's way more advantage to be a left hander than a right hander at Augusta. But in the eighties a lot more players hit draws because back then, if you hit a draw, you hit it twenty yards further than if you hit a fade, and until the prov one came around, you couldn't hit the fade as far as the draw. Now you hit a draw and a fade basically the same distance in a fade's way more controllable. But if you think about it, like a lot of golf golf courses were designed when like right handers hit draws, and now no right handers hit draws and left handers hit fades that simulate effectively a draw.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Maybe, And there's I mean there's definitely some holes that come to mind at Mary and I mean ten being one of them. Yeah, I mean that's really kind of the only way to get at that green.
Speaker 2: Right, It's not just like or ten yeah, ten.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, ten. Yeah, the driveable.
Speaker 2: Fives a lot better if you sixteen you're left.
Speaker 3: Right to left, yeah, twelve is is a is massive left to right. That's the one thing I noticed too, is there's a lot of like diversity, like from hole to hole, Like you're not hitting really the same club off the tee more than maybe two holes in a row, Like you're going right to left, left to right. I'm not a huge fan of the par fives on two and four, Like those are the only par fives you get, and they're in the first like four holes. I'm not like a huge fan of that, But I mean I do like quirkiness, and that's probably as quirky as it gets.
Speaker 2: But part is just a social construct, so especially once you get to match play, it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Matter, right, correct, Yeah, yeah, I guess, I guess.
Speaker 2: What's what's your third storyline to watch?
Speaker 3: I mean third storyline? And this will get a bunch of other players in the mix for us to talk about, but it's it's the Walker Cup. You mentioned it off the top, and the first time since the mid twenties, I believe that we've had a Walker Cup in back to back years. Obviously they're trying to get back away from being in a Ryder Cup year, so so to me, that's that's always storyline number one when it is a year that we're playing a Walker Cup going into the USAM not only because it's the final chance for guys to earn a pick, but it's also, you know, now the final chance for someone to grab an automatic spot by winning, because the you know, if an American wins who's not on the team like Mason Howell did last year, like they're on, so that could throw a wrench in everything. But I usually when I prognosticate, I like to operate as if someone's going to win who's already on the team or they're not American. So right now, like I'll just give it kind of a brief rundown. We have four guys already on the US team, and we'll say the CHP and I talk for you know, another day, because who knows what they're going to end up doing.
Speaker 2: I pulled up the wagger real quick before we get to the GB and I talk. This has got to be the strongest GB and I team in a long long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's yes, but there's a big concern at the top because Tyler Weaver, who's second in the world Amber golf ranking from Florida State, he hasn't played since the a SEC Championship. He's got a back issue. You know. The last that I've I've talked to Trey Jones, the coach at at Florida State, Tyler was going to try to play the US M. The back's been been a major problem, and I think there's some really concern that he's not going to be be healthy enough to play in the Walker Cup. So that could I mean, that would be a huge loss because I mean, Tyler Weaver is the guy who you know they put up against Jackson Coven last year at Cyprus Point and he held his own. He played well. But yeah, I mean you're you're right. But behind that you have Nile obviously going to be back on the team. Connor Graham is someone who I kind of tabbed as a potential. He's not really a sleeper, but to most people he probably would be a little bit of a surprise winner next week. And that's just because the guy has a crazy short game, crazy between the ears. He has a temperament that I that I think is probably fiery, to put it mildly, So who knows. I mean, he could he could get upset and uh, you know, break every club in his bag and and and have to w D But uh but no, he's He shot sixty one at the South of Iris or sixty two at the South of Ireland a couple of weeks ago, so he's he's in top form. But you know, I really like Connor Graham this week, and I think they'll probably get like six of the five or six guys from last year squad on and then it's all about do they want to take some irishmen? Is David Howell lad even though he's way off the radar wagger wise, does qualifying for the Open and playing well at the South of Ireland, does that make you know the the Irish people you know, with it being at Lahinish, does that, you know, make them want to include more more Irishman. So I think that's that's interesting. But as far as the US team, Preston Stout's already on, Ethan Fang's already on. College teammates they played last year, Miles Russell, Tyler Watts already on. So those are the four. I have three locks. We'll start with with Big stew probably going to play in a sixth straight Walker Cup. There's been some maybe pushback in the mid amateur community. I guess a lot of people believe Christian Cavaliery he's had a great, great year. I believe he was runner up at the Ike, he was third at the Coleman. The thing is it qualified for the US AM but he hasn't played any elite amateur events this summer. Whereas Stuart has gone employed the Southern Am. He was top ten there. He was the low kind of American mid am at the Northeast finished in the top twenty five or so. Only mismatch play by a couple shots this week at the Western So to me, other than maybe Brandon Holtz, who's the reigning US Midam champ who hasn't done anything since, to me, no one's close. So I have. Stuart Hegas said, as a lock, you may think differently, other people may think differently. But I mean until Bobby Wyatt decides he wants to play full time mid am or golf, I just I don't. I don't see anyone who who is at the level of Stuart Hegas said right.
Speaker 2: Now, I think it. Honestly, I think he probably is a lock. And I think the lock was last week at the at the Western Am. Uh making it to the you know, seventy making the thirty six hole cut, then base being right on the bubble. Shot here, shot there. You think about seventy two holes. The way the Western Am works is after seventy two holes, the top sixteen players go to match play. It is so hard to make the match play of the Western Am and to be on that bubble of match play where literally a bounce here, a bounce there, a you know you you think through it. I caddied in Stu's group. I cady for Max here and Dean, And honestly, you know, kind of what we were talking about early on about the difference between tour pros and and high level ams, and like young high level ams, I would I would recommend anybody that's going out to watch a great exercises to go watch how Stu plays golf versus how these kids play golf. And if you watch over the over the course of eighteen holes, you're like, God, Stu just makes his life so much easier than these kids. Uh, Like I he just lays up into the right spots. He takes what the golf course gives him. He is an incredible wedge player, like incredible wedge player, and he's very happy to take wedges. I think it'll be I think Marion sets up well for him in that sense of there's so many sub four hundred yard par fours he's going to be able to play, you know, pretty conservatively. He obviously gives up some some yardage off the tee to these to the real powerful am players, and and I just I think he's uh, I think I would agree with you where he's kind of a lock here, especially with the Western Western Am results in And I would expect him to play well, I'd expect him to make match play here at Marion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I mean he's he plays those classic golf courses where like you really have to think so well. I mean, you want to see b McDonald at National this summer or this year as well. And cb McDonald was kind of a consultant for Marion too, right back in the day.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But yeah, I think I think Stu's Stu's in there. You had a front row seat to Bobby Massa as well, in that lot of skin of another guy, a lot, a lot of speed. Maybe Marian's not quite the ballpark for for Bobby Massa. But interesting fact about Bobby Massa, not to get too far off track, but he actually trains Fred Purpaul, Yeah, the former president of the U s g A. So that's that's kind of a cool.
Speaker 2: But Bobby said that he's got two kids under the So does I think, like Midam Golf. You know, people people ask me all the time Midhem Golf. I think like there are guys that are so talented, like Bobby Wyatt you mentioned, you know, anyway, anybody in the consideration of a walker cup Spot, Stu you know, Christian Cavalary. There's a long list of guys you could get. Everybody's talented, but there is like an exercise of like how much time you have to devote to the sport and things that get in your way of time devoting to midam golf. Are our kids in your job, you know? And when you have when you have a couple of kids under the age of three, it's just going to be really hard to be to be a high level mid And I think like I think like Bobby, Bobby is obviously great player, He's done really well in the us AM a couple of times. Having two kids, two young kids, is just kind of a that's a that's a death sents. It's your golf game if you're if you're not playing professionally, if you can't claim this is my job, uh, that is is a hard thing to do. So but I think that's that's a I think people overlook the the time element to when we talk about mid.
Speaker 3: AM's Yeah, and we didn't even talk about Justin Huber. He could I mean, he could win the us M and that would.
Speaker 2: Really get people would riot. It seems like he's squarely in the crossherrs of.
Speaker 3: I heard John Kurran just got his amateur satisfact too. I mean a guy who played.
Speaker 2: On for he almost won the memorial he did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So I mean there's that. But I think I would predict that at some point in the near future we're gonna get some sort of rewritten, reinstated amateur rules. But who knows. Who knows?
Speaker 2: He's out of the bottle to the U s g A. I think, listen, I love a lot of what the USGAS does. I think the USA does not like being the bad guy. They do not like governing, and anybody governing point to his equipment. But the mid Am governance is an absolute dumpster fire. Like I you know, I think I've told this story before on the pod. I played the twenty sixteen Midam and I used to go to I used to practice when I was a kid at Northwestern's Gleecher Center. And when when I was practicing there, jess Daily was in school and so thus, like you know, I'd run into him, and I was like always like following the career, like I was opening opening up the pages of Golf Week and tracking like how he was doing in all these tournaments as a kid, and then fast forward, I'm in this midam and I'm hitting ball sex to him and I'm like, listen, like I just I spent the last ten or eight years of my life at that point like tied up to a desk and I like work my ass off so that then I could work on my game on the weekend at this point and play in this stuff. And then I'm like, I'm looking at I'm like, this guy played pro golf for twelve years. This guy played on the Courn Ferry Tour for longer than I've been out of college, and I'm looking at this and I'm just like this is this is not And now you have guys like Justin Huber, John Kern, Bobby Wyatt almost won on the PGA Tour. It's it's it's wild to me what's going on because it's just you don't if you're a real midam, like and what I mean by real midam someone who has not like turned pro outside of like, if you you are in a great life situation, You're never going to get the reps that these guys get. It's like the competitive reps never leave you. And what I mean by like where it shows up is like when you're just like it's really like a you know, hard situation and you're gonna get nervous. Is like if you've for your living for a living for ten years, you don't get his nervous. Yeah.
Speaker 3: What about someone like Bobby Massa, who you know, kind of a quick background on him. He played college golf, he turned professional, never had a corn free tour card or the equivalent of e that was kind of just a mini tour guy, got some starts, got the driver yips really bad, and basically quit golf for like four or five years, picked it back up again around covid, gets his amateur status back, and now he plays midam events.
Speaker 2: That's a great question. I think this is the hard thing, and it's probably why they've been procrastinating on actually setting real tidelines.
Speaker 3: Like eleven or twelve of the guys who were in the round sixteen last year at the US Midham were technically reinstated. Yeah, I mean some to greater extent than others, for sure, But I mean Brandon Holtz was a reinsteaded amateur.
Speaker 2: And Brandon Holts like he was basically just playing the Illinois.
Speaker 3: Open, you know, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's like, okay, like where where's the line to me? To me, there has to be like a number of years for every year accrued on a PGA Tour sanctioned tour that to me or European Tour, the big If you've played on the Corn Fairy and PGA Tour Americas for ten years, I'm sorry, you need to sit on the pine for like twenty to level out what you've done. And I don't know, but that's just my perspective. The the guys would say where should we play, It's like, well, then just keep playing pro golf, play Illinois Open, get play in your section events, like there's competitive outlets for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, what else?
Speaker 2: What else? Would the water? We just had a divergence here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I mean I think that was good. And that's a that's kind of a big storyline too, is because Justin Hubert did qualify, so that'll be a storyline. But yeah, I have two more locks. I'll kind of spin through these real quick and then we can kind of like decompress at the end. But William Jennings, who rising junior at Alabama, was a really good AJGA player, and then his freshman year last or you know, two years ago twenty four to twenty five, didn't play in the fall. Made his first college start at Water Sound in January of twenty five, and he shot ninety two in his first round of college golf, second round on his way to not breaking ninety again. And j Sewell, the head coach at Alabama, takes the scorecard out of his hand so we can't post another score in the nineties, didn't play for like a few more months. What had happened is the kid is six six. He's a big kid, like he's he looks about his biggest Tommy Morrison, but he's just a couple of inches short, but he is. He is a massive unit. And he had gone from three fourth inches longer shafts to two inches longer than standard. For whatever reason, thought that was going to be the answer. Totally messed up this game. Couldn't hit the ball, and I mean conversely, couldn't couldn't hit couldn't break break ninety. But he's gotten it back. He was runner round at the NCAA's He's won some big events this past season. He won Colonial, he won Olympia Fields. He's just had a really great year he's up to a third or fourth and wagger, so he's a lock in my book, along with Josiah Gilbert, who was Coven's teammate at Auburn. He's going to be a senior this year. A couple of years ago changed his nationality from Australian to American, so there's a little bit of you know, maybe a select group of people who probably don't think he should be on the team, but you know, he he's lived in Alabama, his family has they moved about four or five years ago. He's got four or five siblings as well, so he's part of a big family. So he's he's a lock. He's just been very very consistent, good match play player, good good team guy as well. And then Ryder Cowen's another lock. The USGA loves their their low amateurs, guys who qualify for the US Open and then played well that week. Scotti Scheffler is a great example. Back in twenty seventeen when the Walker Cup was at LACC, like, Scotty was kind of a bubble guy along with Zalatoris and Sam Burns, so he was really the maybe second to last guy on that team. Sam Burns was left off Zalatrris I think was last guy on. But Scotty was the low am at Aaron Hills that year and so that to me, I felt like got him over the bump. And so I think that's what gets Ryder Cowen, who was the first team All American last year, that's what gets him on the team. So we're at eight guys, there's two spots left. At this point, there's four guys for two spots, not counting potential USM American champion. But one of them is key Akina, who won the Michelson Award as a Top freshman last year at BYU, member of the US national Development team. Like really like just kind of like Miles type in terms of small guy does a lot of things well, very cool and calm and confident, just not quite to the level of Miles. But the thing that Key Hay has going for him is he went over the pond or across the pond earlier this summer and made the quarters of the British A and and inn away a Walker Cup year. I think that's a huge feather in his cap. And you know he's he won a couple of times. They didn't play the schedule that some of these other guys did, but they played a good enough schedule, like he has played in some PGA Tour events. He's he's done well. I think at this point he's on. And then I mean recent development with jayl from Stanford winning the Western. I mean the last time we had a guy win the Western and not make the US Walker Cup team was Dawson Armstrong in twenty fifteen. Not that long ago with the Walker Cup being every other year, but still like it. It rarely happens these days. And so I think Jay Lang has done enough now to bump Eric Lee from Oklahoma State on the outside looking in. Carson Birtek Knowles had a great, great year as well. I think he's still in the running. The rising sophomore at North Carolina, a couple top threes and some big events including the Northeast this summer. Really good team guy, like good, good, good wedger, good good ball striker. So he's in there as well. But just want to close, like talking about Jay Lang for a second, kind of an interesting story, like have you seen his golf swing?
Speaker 2: Very very short takeaway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's almost like like there's that famous Ryan Gerard quote where he said his swing has been referred to as if like Jim Furick and John Rahm had had an aneurysm, like Jay lang swing might be if like Ryan Girard swing had an aneurysm. Like he it's it's all self taught. I actually talked to Conrad Ray, the Stanford coach, for a little bit last night, and he was talking about that's like what they didn't want to do as it is just totally change a whole bunch of stuff, because like the most important thing about golf and the golf swing is not what it really looks like. It's do you know your swing well enough to know what you do well and know how to fix things when when the ballflight's not where you want it to be. And and Jay Lings knows how to do that. And like the thing for him is he's just gotten a lot stronger. I mean, he was someone who was ral Thinn didn't work out what I mean, it was a really good junior, played on the Junior President's Cup team, won a bunch on the A J G A, but just not strong at all. Didn't think he had to work out, And in the last year or so is sophomore year, he's kind of gotten in the gym, gotten stronger, like the swing is what it is, and he's gotten a lot better on the greens as well. So you know, kind of a kind of a cool story going from like one hundred and thirty ninth and Wagger to start the year. Now he's twenty third, So I mean to me, he's he's probably on at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feels like anybody that wins the Western probably should be on the.
Speaker 3: Team, Yeah, unless they're completely off the radar. And for for Jay Lang, I mean he was. He was like in the top forty of Wagger, Like he had a great summer, a couple of top fives at the Southern and the uh in the Northeast as well. So I mean he had, he had shown glimpses. It's just when you go back to January, he was he was. He wasn't even on the radar, Like, he wasn't anywhere close. So, but you always have a guy or two come out of nowhere. I mean I think I think back to mccameron Champ in twenty seventeen, kind of did that got hot in the summer. Jordan Neiebrugie in twenty thirteen when they played at national, Like, he had a like a crazy summer, won the Western, won the Wisconsin State am Like, just had this crazy thing, right, he won like three straight amateur tournaments. So there's always like you have to take one hot guy. I feel you can't just go fully based on on Wagger because it's it's a two year period.
Speaker 2: So that's the thing with Lang, right, if you go to the Goodwin, he finished his third at the Goodwin, seventh at the Western Intercollegiate, seventh in ACC's, eleventh in the regional, now forty ninth in nationalities ehip.
Speaker 3: Which is good because there's thirty there's one hundred and fifty something something players at the.
Speaker 2: And then second at the Northeast, fifth of the Southern am and wins the Western DAM. Like I hard does hard to argue that there's ten better players that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and if you would compare him, like like Burt's kind of got a similar resume other than the Western m but he made match play at the Western. Eric Lee won a regional but like hasn't really done much. So it's just kind of like, do you take someone like Eric Lee who had a great summer last year he made the semis of the us AM. Or do you take like a hot guy and to me, that's like I would I would give the edge to Jay Lang. Frankly, I think he's ahead of key Hey at this point too, Like Jay Lang would be my ninth guy on key Hey would be my tenth. Eric Lee would be my eleventh right now, and then Bert would be twelve, and then after that everyone else has to win the us AM in my opinion, like no one's getting in with Just like if Willie Walsh from Pepperdine or Connor Williams of Arizona State, if they make like the final and lose, I still don't think that's enough interesting.
Speaker 2: So if like you don't even think like if if one of these these people on the on the outside makes the final loses to Miles Russell day in like an all time match, they don't get the no.
Speaker 3: No, not like not any one outside of Bird or Eric Lee or or or those guys. Like it's just like at some point you have to you have to select the team based on like some sort of period of merit, Like you can't just be such a prisoner of like the last even though it's the biggest event of the year. He like, I don't know. To me, it's to me, the USAM as always the tiebreaker. It's not necessarily like who goes based on what? Like last year is a perfect example, Jacob Madleski and Miles were were neck and neck. Madleski made it to the to the quarters, Miles made it to the round of sixteen. So that kind of and and and Max was. Harrendine was kind of in a similar scenario. He ended up I think he lost a mile in the in the first round of of match play.
Speaker 2: So that kind of been Coyn last year.
Speaker 3: Did he so he might have lost to Coyven? He lost to someone he beat? Did he beat Coven?
Speaker 2: He lost to? I can't remember who he lost to.
Speaker 3: I think he lost after after he played. Yeah, so he made the second round.
Speaker 2: No, I think he was at least the third round round of round of sixteen. So it'll be I, I, uh, you know, I'm pulling for harn Dean, my fellow line. I uh make a little run here and and and get himself into consideration. Another just name that isn't going to come up because he's not in the Walker Cup discussion. I think is uh is Daniel Bennett the Texas He'll be a junior at Texas, was a great had a great freshman year and made match play at the Western m another kind of stud and could be a really great short game for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, great Wedgard each short game. Harrndean lost to Mason Howell in the round of sixteen, so you were correct. I knew he lost to like a big name junior.
Speaker 2: Doesn't seem like Bason Howell hasn't had the best year since that.
Speaker 3: No, No, and I mean he wasn't. I mean, he's obviously one of the best recruits in the country coming into Georgia this fall, but he wouldn't have made the Walker Cup team otherwise last year. He wasn't even in the conversation. So I mean he benefited by getting the automatic spot. I don't think he was ever gonna it was going to be very difficult, even though we had an amazing week at Cyprus, I mean with the albatross in practice on two long birdie putts on fifteen sixteen, the whole out on seventeen, like he had an amazing week, But you just kind of knew it was going to be very difficult for him to get back at least this year, because I mean, juniors don't have the luxury of playing these high level college events like every other week to boost the resume, and you can't really to resume playing the junior you know, junior players and Sage Valley and stuff without winning. And he just didn't do that. So yeah, it'll be it'll be a fun week. I mean, like Mary, and to me, I've been very excited about this one for a while because there's just been so much history made there, so like to me, like having hosted six previous USAMS and you walk around there and not only do they they have the Hogan plaque on eighteen, which everyone everyone knows about when he came back from the accident and one in nineteen fifty and hit the one iron there which I heard you hit that shot into the patio.
Speaker 2: It was a classic double cross. I felt like I brought a one iron just for that shot and I felt like it was too much club and I needed to hit a fade and like a big fade and then I hooked it. End it was. It was.
Speaker 3: It was tough, but I mean there but there's that, there's the Bobby Jones plaque on eleven, you know, when he completed the Grand Slam, And eleven's kind of an interesting call. I took a video of it. Have you seen the big It looks like kind of a cornfield right of the green, Yeah, I think so, Yeah, eleven, it's kind of right. Reminds me of like a little bit of a Field of Dream scenario where like Bobby Jones is going to walk out of the the the cornstalks like during the during the championship. So I'll have my eye on that for sure. But yeah, there's just there's a lot of history. Like I didn't realize this either, and I had because I'm reading this book. It's called Miracle at Marion. It's by David Barrett. It's pretty good so far. But there were some things like I didn't know and you probably have heard some of this, but William Flynn was actually the first greens greens keeper at Marion.
Speaker 2: I knew that that he. I mean a lot of people say he's it should be he should have some design credit on it. Hugh Wilson's obviously the architect, but William Flynn was like huge, huge in the development of Marion into what it is today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because because Hugh Wilson died of pneumonia in like nineteen twenty five, like they didn't really finish Mary, like they tweaked it like every year until like they hosted that first US Open. Yeah. So I mean what there was a lot of years, like after Wilson's death were William Flynn and his what was it his brother were like the the guys.
Speaker 2: I guess, you know, William Flynn probably was underappreciated man in golf Golden age golf history. It's a shame he's not in the World Golf Hall of Fame, is he not? I don't think so. I think there's also in Texas Donald Ross, Stevie McDonald, aw Tilling Hast, Robert Trent Jones, and Alisa Mackenzie.
Speaker 3: Okay, so so Fazzia is not not in it.
Speaker 2: No, not yet. I think that there needs to be a little bit more architect representation. Probably should be some superintendents in the World Golf the Hall of Fame too, But it's it's a little bit more obsessed with players than you know, the people that pushed the push the general participation of the sport.
Speaker 3: So well. Tom Tom's uncle George played played in the US Open in nineteen fifty at Marion, Like that's kind of a fun fact and one last thing storyline no one is going to talk about except for maybe me the week of Okay, so the greens keeper, the longtime greens keeper who succeeded Flynn was a guy by the name of Joe Valentine. Not I don't think any relation to Bobby Valentine's. But his original name was Giuseppe Valentini. So maybe maybe Giuseppe playbla can channel the you know, you find that juice.
Speaker 2: Giuseppe playbla young junior, great junior player who qualified for the US to Open. Uh, going to Florida.
Speaker 3: Right, going to Florida's second rank behind Miles, like got qualified for the US Open, same side as Miles, like very good friends with Miles, really good player, and another one like I don't know, I feel like these juniors like the the not generations, but you know kind of four or five year period these groups of juniors like had went from like when Scheffler was a junior, you had like kind of these really buttoned up, polished like country club kids, and then you went into like a period of like the the Fortnite as I like to call them the Fortnite Crew, where all these kids did was like play video games and they were kind of silly and you didn't think they really took stuff seriously. And now it's kind of evolved into these really polished kids again, whether it's Juice or or Miles or Luke Colton, like these guys who just love golf and are just obsessed with golf. So so that's pretty cool. But yeah, that's the that's the US Amateur. I mean there's a bunch of either. I mean there's three hundred and twelve guys in the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it should be. It should be an awesome week. We'll look forward to reading your coverage and watching you on Golf Channel, so everybody can read your stuff there and then also watch you. I assume you'll be doing the post round interviews like you were last year.
Speaker 3: Well, so it's an unfortunately, you know, not to be the bearer of bad news. I don't think that I'll be doing the latter. It's an NBC production this year, which is actually good. I mean to get out in front of a wider audience. The NBC, you know crew does have the playoffs FedEx got playoffs this year, so it'll be on starting on Wednesday, so there's I think it's like three hour coverages every day from Wednesday through the final one Sunday, and then on the weekends there's like an hour on Peacock and then two hours on on NBC. So it's Dan Hicks, I believe it's Smiley and then and then Burko is going to be doing kind of the role that I did last year. So I mean, you get someone who's even better.
Speaker 2: Amazing. Well, we'll look forward to reading your stuff and I know you'll be providing a lot of valuable information to the NBC team. So thanks so much Brentley, and look forward to talking to you again.
Speaker 3: Awesome. Thanks Andy.
Speaker 2: Before we kick it over to Garrett, let's take a moment to talk to you about our friends really us at Friday Golf Club. Garrett is a huge piece of this. What we originally launched as Club TFE is now Frida Egg Golf Club and it's your gateway to great golf. The team has built FEGC to be a place where you go discover great golf courses, connect with our community, and play more great golf. Today the club features a live list of course profiles available to members with me with member reviews, a live feed of discussions happening across the app. We have an app and a map showing where members live across the country. Live lists of open meetups, upcoming events and international trips on the calendar. Get involved today and join the club at thefridagg dot com slash membership. Let's get back to Garrett Morrison and talking about Marion Golf Club. All right, Garrett Morrison, the host of the golf podcasts, You've got a big podcast out about Marion. We're going to bite grab you for a bite size amount of discussion on Marion Golf Club, host of this year's us AMATE, one of the most decorated golf courses in an American golf Garrett, you went out to Marian for the first time about I don't know, two weeks ago or so, what I wanted to kind of pinion down here for three things about Marion. What was your first big impression that it made on you.
Speaker 1: The first thing about Marion that I think is important or that jumped out to me as soon as I played the course walk the course was the ingeniousness of the routing, just how the routing works across the small property. When you're playing the course, you don't have the sense that this is just one hundred and fifteen acres that the course itself sits on, and then the total property is something like one hundred and twenty six very small property by championship golf standards. You know, if you look at Shinnecock Hills, for instance, you're up around two hundred and fifty acres maybe two hundred for just the golf course itself, and so a petite property. But when you're playing the course, you have the feeling of expansiveness of like, these holes have plenty of room and they're just doing what they're doing. You're not going back and forth. You're kind of looping around the property in a pleasing way. And so I think that's all down to how well the concept of the routing works. And the basic concept of the routing is that once you cross Ardmore Avenue, which you do after you play the first hole, you're kind of in this valley that's about three hundred yards wide and maybe a thousand yards long, and in this valley you sort of do a couple of overlapping loops right as you go through the valley, you're always changing direction, you're looping through the property rather than just kind of playing back and forth through it. And that kind of continues throughout the golf course, where where where the routing is is always you know, creating these circles rather than just laying holes next to each other. And even in the parts where holes are kind of next to each other and playing back and forth for maybe two or three holes at a time, they're they're playing at angles, they're they're they're finding new ways to to use the land. And so it's just an absolutely brilliant routing. It's really subtle how it works. You kind of have to to see it and walk it in order to understand it. But that's the number one thing that I think is great about this golf course. It's just it's just the routing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree, it's hard to visualize until you're on property. So for the podcast listeners, I think, like you know, for me, where like really sets in how neat the holes interact is when you're standing on three tuh to me is like a moment, so you know.
Speaker 1: It's kind of right in the middle of the valley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then in two you play you go across the road and then you play this par five up the hill and then you're standing on three and it's this par three and it's a it's a ridged ridge hole. So you're teeing off from one the high ridge that two's on, and you're teeing off to this other ridge that some uh some of the other holes like seven are situated on, eight is situated there, four T is situated there, And you're sitting there and you're looking across the screen and then you're looking down five, which to me is like as all world of a golf holes it gets, and it's just like perfectly fit into this little valley. And then six T plays out of the valley up and you're just like in your tea across this valley and it's like, oh, this is how like you economize, Like you get eighteen holes on a tiny property. Is indeed, like everybody will be like, oh, why can't we build marions anymore? Why can't we build these golf courses that fit perfectly into this one hundred and fifteen acre site. I would just like point out that the reason that this is even possible. Is that the land just like they found a piece of property that was perfectly scaled for a golf where there's nothing too severe and there the every contours is about the right size for golf, and they that's how they fit it all together. Is like, yeah, there's some corners that they cleverly get out of, but for the most part, there's nowhere on the one hundred and fifteen acres that you would put like a big X as they like, we can't go here because there's no way to get out, and it's just it's it's fascinating. I think, like it's the charm, it's the it's the secret sauce, the the most amazing thing about Marion. But as equipment has has has not been regulated. It's also kind of the curse of Marion in the sense of it's this golf club that is like holding on for dear life to championships. And I think it's the most interesting part of the USAM this this year. I talked about this with Brentley also, but like, how does this hold up to the modern game. We haven't seen it since twenty thirteen. In the last thirteen years, a lot a lot has changed and I think it's the most fascinating thing. And there's nowhere for it to go, you know, there's nowhere to build back teas. And I think like the USGA kicking the can on the on the rollback but setting a firm date twenty thirty, this is happening is because twenty thirty US Open host is Marion. There's nowhere to go. It's sub seven seven thousand yards and fifty too. Yeah, yeah, we're.
Speaker 1: Gonna keep going. We're going back there every ten years. It's like a little check in, can we still play here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, it's but it's one of the great ballparks that that we have in the sport of golf. And I think it it like most likens to a Rigley or a Fenway in sense of like it's kind of like intimacy and and just romanticism as a golf course.
Speaker 1: It's really cool. Yeah, And as you say, the property is sort of underrated because the topography is kind of rolling. You know, there's there's a general tendency of the land. You know that eleventh green is the lowest point and the fifteenth green is the highest point. So so there is a general tilt to the land, But within that tilt there's a lot of There are a lot of little pocket valleys. There's of course the famous quarry where sixteen, seventeen and eighteen are located. There are little knolls and ridges and spines and channels and all sorts of stuff for the golf holes to use, and so clearly a well selected piece of land. They didn't need at the time more land to do what they were doing, because you know, I would assume they could have used more land if they had wanted to, because a lot of them surrounding neighborhood was not yet built, and so you know, they may have been able to expand the property or buy a couple of extra parcels, but they just they didn't feel that they needed to. This is the land that they needed. They packed in the holes, and you know, it still stands as pretty relevant for championship golf today. But we'll see exactly how relevant this coming week.
Speaker 2: Probably about is fun of one of the championship courses for like a regular golfer, and part of that is because of the size of it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely it's a I mean, it's a really easy walk obviously because everything is pretty close together, and yeah, it's not overwhelming in it's in its size and scale.
Speaker 2: What's your second thing?
Speaker 1: Second thing is related to a point you were just making about its its relevance for a championship golf. I think that this golf course in a really interesting way resists pure raw inaccurate distance. It does so in some ways that are maybe not so great, which we can talk about later. But the brilliant thing about the current version of Marion is that there aren't many holes where you even want to hit a three hundred and fifty yard t shot. There are a couple holes in that opening sequence of the golf course where, yeah, you can let loose a little bit. You can hit it long on the second hole, you can hit it long on the fourth and fifth holes, and maybe even on the sixth hole. But once you get to the seventh hole, this is where the kind of shorter section of the course kicks in, right. It's what the Golf Digest editor Jerry Tarty referred to as the comedy section of the golf course, where you have a bunch of short par fours and then thirteen is a short par three. Well, as you're playing through this section of the course, there's really nowhere where you want to let loose and hit a three hundred and fifty yard drive. You're going to be hitting you know, elite players are going to be hitting a lot of irons and then you know, shortish approach shots, but they're not going to be trying to drive the green on these holes. They're just going to be playing to certain landing zones and then hitting their approaches from there. And so I think that Marion as it currently stands is a course that's not easily overwhelmed by top end power because on a lot of holes, there's just not much of an incentive to really hit it as far as you can. So you know, we're going to see longer players hitting quite a few irons off the t's, you know, hybrids and things of that nature, rather than just reaching for driver every time. And I think that's why a sixty nine hundred yard golf course, which this essentially is, can still host big championships. It's because it's not like the old course where you can sort of hit driver everywhere. There are more of these kind of precision, constricted holes that limit the amount of distance that you even want to pursue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was talking with a competitor about Marion and they were kind of asking me, you know, hey, what do you think, Like I said, this is a ball control golf course. This is a golf course that if you can really execute a sound game plan. And what I mean by execute is where you have one of those weeks where you really have good control of your golf ball and you can really really you can. It's just a tactical golf course. You have to think to me, like you can push with driver, but it's it's not. It's fraught with risk because the way the greens are. I feel like when you're in the rough and you have like those sixty seventy yard shots or fifty yard shots, if you're in the wrong spot, you're just gonna have a really hard time, you know, dealing with that versus you know, it presents an opportunity to hit a lot of irons as you were saying, and played one hundred yards to one hundred and you know, one hundred and forty yards and control your spin, control your ball. You know, there's a lot of like obviously ridges that green sit on, and there's some fierce false fronts and it is a it's just like a it's a it's a very it's I'm really interested to see how how players deal with the golf course. I think there's going to be a lot of people that try to overpower it, and I'm fascinated to see how it goes because like, and I'm sure this is the thing that the USGA is watching very closely with it. But yeah, I you know, it's like funny, like you play after you play six, it's like seven, you can hit driver. You don't have to Eight, you can hit driver, you don't have to Nine. Obviously iconically long par three, they might hit the driver there depending on the wind.
Speaker 1: You know, they put it at that like two hundred and seventy yard tis or whatever they have back there.
Speaker 2: We played that when I played in the Fall, I hit three wood and it was the flag was back. It was you know, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: I heard you guys played the back teas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or he did not.
Speaker 1: At the USGAMI Medio day we played we played nine at like one thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was fun. It was fun playing the back teas. It's like I to me, it's like, it's it's funny. You know, I've said this before. I played it in Succession in the Fall of Shinnacock and uh An Ironomy were the three courses three days in a row. I found Marion to be the most gettable, and that's just for me personally, right, And I didn't obviously play it in championship setup conditions, so it's like important caveats. But I thought that this was the course that, like, oh, if you really have control of your golf ball, like there's not that many obstacles in your way, now, you know it could I could have just caught it on a day where I played exceptionally well and that's how you walk away feeling. But I felt like putting at Aronomic was much more challenging. From middles of greens to pins. I think this is a golf course that I'm just I'm fascinated to see what the scoring looks like. If the rough is not insane, ru.
Speaker 1: Is gonna be pretty high. I mean it was high. I think it has to be. Yeah, yeah, I think I think they're gonna I think they're gonna go hard at the Amateur. But yeah, I mean, as as you say, it's a little bit hard to tell because again we have not seen the course in elite, high profile play since twenty thirteen, and a lot has changed since twenty thirteen. But I think a big reason why a lot of players may not use driver repeatedly off the tee or try to you know, you could maybe some of the longer players could maybe go for the seventh green for instance, short part four a lot will be long enough to maybe go for it. But the problem is on some of those holes you have out of bounds coming into play. So on the first hole, for instance, probably reachable from the tee for some players, depending on where the tea markers are located. But if you go over, if you pull it left, if you go over the green, or you go through the fair way through the dog leg, you might end up on Ardmorn Avenue. Then on the tenth hole, it's kind of the same deal, right, I think a lot of players are going to be going for that green, but if you take too much club or you hit it a little bit too far, you could go out of bounds. There's out of bounds right along the right side of the seventh hole, along the right side of the eighth hole, there's very much out of bounds in play. On the fifteenth hole, this dog leg right where out of bounds cuts in sharply from the left. So if you take too much club and you pull it a little bit, you're going to be on the road or maybe even in the houses on the other side of the road. Like, that's very much in play on those holes, and so I think, yeah, there are going to be some players who want to get aggressive, but they might end up ob which I think is the biggest and maybe one of the last remaining disincentives for trying to overpower a golf course is that presence of a OB And that's very much in play at Marrying because of the constricted nature of the property and the fact that the holes have to be right out to the edge of the property in order to create room in the middle for more holes. So, uh yeah, that's that's kind of what I'm going to be keeping an eye on, is like how much are these guys really willing to risk.
Speaker 2: Ob Yeah, I mean it creates a lot of Uh. I think a lot of the challenge comes from the par threes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not really really long.
Speaker 2: It doesn't have a lot of variety in terms of of of yardage. You know shot you know you hit long, you hit long, clubs into three of the four par threes, and then they have the great shorty that plays right back to the clubhouse thirteen. But you know three is from you know, the back t two fifty six. Nine is two thirty six, and then you obviously have seventeen to two forty six. You know, you could theoretically if they you know, I think it's the job of the Championship to vary these distances, because I think some of them do. Like I think three, you know that that's going to be a long, hardhold no matter what. I think nine could be pretty interesting at different yardages.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, in different pin positions, right, Yeah, you could have the easier and the harder pin positions on nine because that's a pretty big green, right and a complex screen relatively in terms of contour. So you could have funnel pins, you could have knob pins, and you could move the tee up or back depending on whether you're where the pin is.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it's like to me, that's where those are the holes where you're just like holding on for hope a lot of the time, and there's you know, there's obviously challenging part fours, Like you know, the eleventh is a very hard part four. You know, the fifth is an incredibly hard part for the sixth is a tough part four, you know, the and you could slip up on the other part fours. You have the sixteenth which is hard par four and eighteen hard part four. But like, there's also so many wedge opportunities. It's really like if you kind of I think Augusta plays out a little bit like this, but in a different fashion. Where at Augusta you have really scorable holes and really challenging holes, and there's a set of each. At Augusta there's a little bit more variety of where those challenging holes fit in in terms of like different you know, different types of holes. Here. To me, it's the par threes and the long par fours, and and that's kind of the story of the golf course. Get well, get your like, get your scoring done on the on the shorter holes, take care of business there, and just try to score a get in a round par on the other holes, and you're going to you know, you're going to have a good score.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to give you my third thing now because I think it's somewhat relates to this discussion of how Marion tries to combat distance, and that's narrow fairways and thick rough One thing that really jumped out to me during my round was how constricted a lot of the fairways are and how the mowing lines just kind of converge into the middle. If you compare it to William Flynn's vintage plans of the East course at Marion, you'll see that today's fairways are much much smaller. And this is the case even after gil Hans's you know, twenty eighteen twenty nineteen renovation of Marion. Usually something that gil Hans will do at golf courses when he restores them or historically renovates them, is that he will expand the fairways. At Marion, not much of that occurred. A couple of holes got bumped out a bit from their twenty thirteen dimensions, but for the most part, what we see at Marion are very narrow fairways, and this comes through very clearly on a couple of particular holes on eleven, a short par four going downhill with a green kind of nestled into the bend of a creek. It's a famous green site. People have probably seen pictures of it. Really beautiful location. This fairway used to be pretty wide and you could kind of position yourself wherever in order to attack this fiercely protected green. Now that fairway very hard. Yeah, it's visually hard, visually intimidating. You can't see much and there's no room for air. Right the green is sort of pushed up, and then you have the creek and you have runoffs on the sides. So it's a tough web shot, even if it is a web shot. Well, the fairway now is extremely narrow. You really don't have anywhere to play, and so it's just one option. You're playing to one particular location and then you're hitting from there. And so I would say on a lot of holes at Marion, it's kind of target golf right now, and that's a bit of a bummer. But on the other hand, you can totally understand what the club is doing because this is one thing that is going to keep scoring at top tournaments in check. If you widen those fairways, driver would be more available off the tee on a lot of holes, and scoring would be different. I think the golf course would be better and more interesting, But would it still be a viable US Open venue? I'm not entirely sure. So I get the conundrum that the club finds itself in. This is a course that you can't lengthen much beyond, you know, sixty nine hundred yards or so, and so they feel that they absolutely must keep those fairways narrower and then grow up the rough so that you manufacture some higher scores. But certainly it's not you know, faithful to the original design or to the intentions of Hugh Wilson or William Flynn. And in my opinion, it just doesn't it doesn't make the golf course better.
Speaker 2: I you know, I completely agree. I think like I found myself laughing on the eleventh hole.
Speaker 1: You can't well, I mean on the eleventh hole, there's this other thing that's it's the same case on the seventh hole. You can't see any fairway grass from the tee. It's just all rough in front of you. So the fairwaight is not only narrow, but it starts really late, right, it starts really far downrange, and so you're just staring at all this rough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's like so out of scale for the the you know, property is like nobody in the nineteen twenties and I think that it's a you know, Mary is like the maybe the ultimate, like how do you stay relevant in Like what what are the crazy things we have to do to stay relevant in the modern era? And like you hit on a lot of the things they do. It's narrow fairways, thick rough and you know, I think it's gotten to the point though, where like the ball goes so far and players hit it so far that you know, it takes driver even out of the equation on holes that used to be driver holes, you know, And I think that's like what I'm really really compelled to see this this coming week with the amp is like I think it's a golf course. There's like there's like four or five driver holes on the whole thing, and if you just play back, you're still only hitting nine irons or wedges into the greens on a lot of these holes. With how far the ball goes. It's just I'm not I'm I don't know, Yeah, I I completely agree. I think the golf course would be way more fun day and day out with fairways that were even closer to their original size. Now that runs completely counter to what they're trying to do. As one of the USGA, you know, anchor sites, regular host and what they're trying to do with that. It just doesn't match right what this golf course wants to be and what it was. It was a outstanding championship course. It kind of reminds me a little bit of the conundrum like that Myopia Hunt Club finds itself in or Myopia Hunt Club, Like when you walk into Myopia Hunt Club, you're going to hear about you know, the highest US Open scorer ever was at Myopia Hind Club. It was in the eighteen hundreds, like and it's like, but we're holding on to that that pretense of it, and it's you know, I this is Mariyanto Me is like at the forefront of the ball and the manufacturer discussion with the USBA, And it's fascinating that it and Pebble to Me are like the two golf courses. Like if you said to me, like what do we need to do to get the players and equipment manufacturers on on board? If I'm the USGA, I'm just going to start retiring places and Marion and Pebble to Me are would be retired tomorrow. If I was the Tzar of Golf I'd be I'd say, you know, if I was a czar, I don't have a listen to the equipment manufacturers, but I would say, well, we can't go there anymore because you're the clubs and the equipment go too far. You know, I just watched I was, you know, the morning after this recording. I just I'm fresh off two days and like, to me, it's like I could not imagine the anger from fans if you said that Wrigley Field and Fenway were no longer capable of hosting baseball games. And that's effectively where we've gotten with like Marion. Marion has to do all this stuff in order to try to host and now people are going to beat their chest and be like the last time Moss heroes one over, but they completely manufactured that score with like hack it out rough and extremely narrow fairways, which is not the original intent of the golf course. And now the discussion, though becomes like should the intent change, Like if you actually were trying to scale what golf was and what golf is now, fairways would be wider than it used to be because the golf ball goes further and thus the cone of like driving accuracy is wider. Yeah, Actually, narrow fairways would be better if the golf ball went thirty percent.
Speaker 1: Shorter, Yeah, I mean I think there is, then it.
Speaker 2: Would go thirty percent less offline.
Speaker 1: Right, It would make more sense for Yeah, the scale of the shot being hit. You know, this is something our colleague Joseph Almania talks about a lot. I think there are, you know, quite a few fairways even at the current version of the East Course where it would be more or less random whether you hit the fairway with a driver, right, and and that's not really what you want from a competitive standpoint. But the thing is people are so focused on score and on score in relation to par that you know, it creates this this motive for the USGA and for their host clubs to get that score no matter what the other effects on the golf course. And so you know, there's a version of Marion where it's just treated as a kind of museum piece, where the intention is just to preserve the architecture of Hugh Wilson and William Flynn and to offer members a historically authentic version of a great golf course. But it's so baked into the ethos and attitude of the club. I think that they are a US Open host, and it's going to be hard to uproot that feeling in the club. It's kind of part of who they think they are. And so this is the golf course you get as a result. But yeah, of course, you and I wish that they would just say we're no longer hosting the US Open in this era. We're you know, I think if enough clubs, in fact, if enough powerful clubs put their feet down and said we can't host anymore with this equipment, then there there would be maybe more movement on the equipment regulation front. But yeah, I mean, the best version of the East Course at Marion would result from the club just saying, yeah, we can't do the US Open anymore. We can't even do the US Amateur anymore. Bring us the US Women's Amateur, bring us the US Women's Open. But otherwise we are going to focus on and prioritize our golf course. That's that's when you would start to get you know what, in my opinion, would be the greatest version of this golf course.
Speaker 2: You know, it's it's an interesting cultural thing. Like Chicago Golf Club a couple of years ago, looked very very closely. A lot a lot of discussion exploration around hosting a US Open, and you know, it's just an interesting the difference of clubs and but like championships haven't been a part of the ethos at Chicago Golf. Like, yeah, sure they hosted a lot of like cool tournaments over the years. Yeah, but it's been a long time since they hosted a a US Open.
Speaker 1: The big tournament stopped like early in the twentieth century, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they kicked the can. They've got like a pretty big property, They've got the ability to stretch the golf course pretty far. But what happened was in order to do it, they were going to have to build a new hole and rearrange everything. And I think this is it's very similar to like the links what's going on in the UK right now. And when it got to that, the club said, what are we doing, No, we'll host the were happy hosting the women's and not changing our historic golf course and present the our golf course. And and the discourse really I think with the USGA, from from everybody I've talked to about it over there, centered around like we don't we actually don't care about score at all. If we do this, we whatever they shoot, they shoot, But they are playing Chicago Golf Club presented the way Chicago Golf Club is is was presented like that was kind of and it's just interesting, like every club has a different kind of ethos and it's you know, I understand why Marian's is so rooted in in US opens championship golf courses. It has a you know, a vibrant national membership. It has like I mean, they they have a ton of visitor play, that guest play that comes from you know, we're going to play one of the great American championship golf courses and that And it's not nothing's wrong with that, it's just it's it's just it's a representative. It's just so representative of where modern championship golf is between you know, infrastructure, but also just how far golfers hit the ball. It's just like the perfect golf course that encapsulates the whole push and pull of of high level men's amateur golf or high level men's competitive golf right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, it's a it's a great test case and I think the US Amateur is going to provide a nice little check in to see how we're doing. You know, it's it's it's great that this tournament has come right after the USGA has once again decided to put off the decision making and the implementation of this proposed golf ball roll back. You know, Let's let's see how that's going. Let's see how the the younger generation of male golfers is now playing Marion. I think it will be very interesting.
Speaker 2: All right, Garrett, everybody can go listen to your full what is it about an hour and a half.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good. It's going to be somewhere around there. Yeah, there's I did an interview with Wayne Morrison, who is the foremost authority in the world on William Flynn and probably knows more about Marion specifically than anybody else. So I interviewed him and and that's going to be on the Design and Golf podcast, So a little bit of an in depth exploration of Marion's history and design there if if people want to want to go a little bit deeper. And then we also have a video that just came out on the on the morning that you and I are recording this so that it'll be up on the YouTube channel by the time people are listening to this certainly where you know we we basically walk through the East course and talk about how the routing works. So if you're if you want to see some some visuals put to the routing discussion that that we had on on this episode, then then that's a good place to go.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks Garrett, look forward to here in your podcast, and thanks as always for everything you do from on the architecture front at Friday Golf. Thanks Anny, all right, big thanks for listening to another edition of the Friday Golf Podcast. Big thanks to PJ for editing and producing this. It's been a busy week for him. He's in Chicago with me this week filming some stuff for the upcoming President's Cup. So big thanks to our guests as well, and thanks for listening as always to the Friday Golf Podcast. We'll be back next week.