Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. This says the Bloomberg Daybreak europ podcast. Good morning, It's Friday, the thirty first of July. I'm Stephen carollin Brussels. Coming up today. A dramatic twenty four hours for a leading AI hedge fund, as Ken Griffin's Citadel snaps up billions of dollars of Leopold Ashenbrenner's leveraged bets that went sour. Europe's football governing body UEPHA says it will boycott the World cop if FIFA sells a steak in the tournament. Plus feeling the heat, while Europe's unstoppable wildfires are now a terrifying new normal. Let's start with a roundup of our top stories. Assets at the hedge fund Situational Awareness have plunged from forty five billion dollars to about ten billion after margin calls forced it to unwind heavily leveraged bets on artificial intelligence. The fund, led by former Open AI researcher Leopold Ashenbrenner, billions of dollars of stock before Ken Griff and Citadel stepped in to buy most of the portfolio with more here's Boomberg's Crispit.
Speaker 2: He was hailed as the Nostrodamis of AI, a young oracle with a bold prophecy for the future. Before launching his hedge fund just two years ago. Leopold Ashenbrenner had never managed money professionally. Even so, Wall Street banks were willing to lend him up to five times his capital as he built giant bets on the AI boom. But when technology shares tumbled, those same lenders demanded more collateral, triggering a wave of force selling calls went out across Wall Street, before Ken Griffin Citadel struck an overnight deal to buy most of the portfolio at a discount, ending the scramble to rescue the funds positions.
Speaker 1: Yet, as the.
Speaker 2: Dust settles on Ashon Brenner's chaotic week, the twenty something appears set to emerge only bruised from the saga. He still runs one of the world's biggest equity hedge funds in London, Chrispit Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: Well after several bruises days for one of leopol Dashenbrenner's biggest holdings, ske Heinix, is helping to lead a record reband in South Korea's stock market today, the cost be surging as much as seventeen percent, its biggest gain on record, while sk Heinix climbed almost thirty percent as investors piled back into AI stocks. The rally was helped by Citadel's purchase of Situational Awareness's AI portfolio, alongside strong global tech earnings and fresh government support for South Korea's AI industry. Well, big tech earnies are delivering sharply differing verdicts on the race to profit from artificial intelligence. Amazon shares jumped after cloud revenue grew by thirty seven percent, while Microsoft added a record four hundred and fifty billion dollars in market value, following its fastest cloud growth in about four years. But Apple fell in after hours, trading by around six percent after warning the chip shortages and rising memory costs will weigh on sales in the current quarter. Here's Bimbertech's ed Ludlow really.
Speaker 3: Fell in after hours has Apple explained that the September quarter things are going to get more tough, not just because of higher memory prices, but tighter supply.
Speaker 1: The underestimated demand.
Speaker 3: Which means that there is a shortage of leading edge processes. It is multifaceted, and that outlook where they see revenue growth from nine percent to eleven percent in the September quarter, below the streets estimate of above twelve percent, it really overshadowed what was a strong June quarter.
Speaker 1: Ed Ludlow. They're dissecting Apple's results and what's proved to be a mixed bag for big tech earnings. Meta shares fell almost eight percent in yesterday's session after outlining plans to commit nearly seven hundred billion dollars to future AI spending. The diverging share moves underscore that investors now want evidence those investments are generating returns. Anthropic says it's artificial intelligence models breached three separate organizations during cybersecurity tests that accidentally escaped into the real world. The company says its review found three instances in which its claud ai tool gained access to the Internet and hacked what it described as the real world infrastructure of external organizations. Sharin Gafari, as our AI reporter, it found.
Speaker 4: In coordination with one of its partners, that yes, its models had actually been able to reach the Internet in three different cases involving third party organizations and improperly look for ways to sort of do better on internal evaluations or achieve internal evaluations.
Speaker 1: Sharen Gafari points out that the disclosure comes just over a week after open Ai revealed one of its own AI models accidentally hacked another during company or another company systems during similar testing. The Bank of Japan has kept interest rates unchanged at one percent while maintaining a hawkish stance on inflation. The decision came after Japanese authorities intervened overnight to support the en whose week This has been adding to price pressures. Boj's more optimistic assessment of the economy reinforced expectations it could raise interest rates again as soon as October. The Spanish government has ordered an emergency military deployment to one of its African enclays after an illegal immigrant surge. Spanish media have reported that thousands Christs crossed in to the city known as Theuta yesterday, mainly by sea. The crisis has drawn scrutiny from across Europe, including a threat by Italian Prime Minister Georgia Maloney to suspend the European Union's freedom of movement agreement with Spain. The Spanish Defense minister said in a statement yesterday evening that soldiers will be sent to reinforce the security forces in THEOTA and Europe's football governing body is set to boycott FIFA international tournaments if the group goes ahead with controversial plans to seal stakes to private investors. The decision by Europe's powerful member association was finalized during a virtual crisis meeting to address the sell off. Former FA chairman David Bernstein's feels the collaborative approach will get the right outcome Igland on it.
Speaker 4: So no, you know, we're a big dation in football, but we can't do very much on our own. If we try to do something against FIFA. Frankly, they would tell us where to go.
Speaker 5: But we do a file.
Speaker 1: We're very very powerful, so I think it's absolutely right that we work with UEFA.
Speaker 5: We're part of that.
Speaker 1: David Bernstein, speaking their former FA chairman. The news follow significant backlash to FIFA President Gianni Infantino's plans to transfer major commercial and tournament operations into a new entity called FIFA Forward Enterprise and raise up to four point two billion dollars from external investors. UEFA said in the statement no ua FA national teams will participate in any FIFA competition for so long as these proposals remain alive. And those are our top stories on the program. On the markets this morning, that jump in South Korea's cost me almost seventeen percent at the moment, lifting the broader REMSCI specific index by four point three percent. Eurostocks fifty future is positive two by eight tenths and Nasdaq futures on Wall Street up by one point two percent.
Speaker 5: Two.
Speaker 1: Oil prices are lower this morning one point six percent, eighty seven dollars and sixty four cents. As we are watching the Japanese yen after the Bank of Japan held interest rates at one hundred and sixty sixty three, so holding on too much of yesterday's strength after the intervention by Japanese authorities in the markets. Well, in a moment, we'll bring you more on the incredible story of the AI bets that went sour for one hedge fund, plus why climate change is making Europe's wildfires more extreme and more difficult to control. First, a word on other story that I've been reading this morning on what to do with grand government buildings the state no longer needs Sarah Rappaport from Bloomberg Pursuits has been writing about the latest conversions in London. So we had the Old War Rooms becoming a Raffles hotel, the former US Embassy becoming the Chancery Rosewood. Next up in terms of high profile conversions is the Admiralty Arch between Trafalgar Square and the Mall, which will reopen later this year as a wald office story. Now it closes an office building back in twenty eleven. It was sold by the UK government for some sixty pounds in twenty twelve. It's going to reopen as a hotel this year. Series and speaking to some of the developers and architects who've been working on these designs and it does seem like hotels are a good fit for these buildings. Companies don't want them as offices because they're technically complex. They're often not very energy efficient. The government doesn't want to pay for the upkeep renovating them as complex and expensive, so you need deep pockets. Just one example cited in the pieces from the renovation of the Old War Rooms that cutting a new doorway in the building needed planning permission from local authorities. Selling them of course does raise revenue for the government as well. They're not entirely uncontroversial though as sales of course, questions about whether or not they're selling off part of the country's heritage, although the heritage body Historic England, who Sarah spoke to for this piece, said that the compromises are often preferable to watching landmark buildings fall apart or full vacant. I should say as well, really interesting piece on the transformation of our city centers and what exactly they're being turned into. I've been in the old war rooms. It's pretty fancy, so at least there is a chance that you can go in there as a regular person, which perhaps he might not have been able to do when it was a government building. So an interesting piece and we'll put a link to it in our podcast show notes. Let's bring you more now though, on the dramatic twenty four hours for the hedge fund, Situational Awareness forced to sell billions of its technology investments this week to Citadel at a massive discount. Our market supporter Anthony Stevens joins us now for more. Anthony, first of all, can you give us a bit more background on Situational Awareness and its founder Leopold Dashenbranner.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Leopold is actually a really closely followed member of the hedge fund community, especially by retail. He has some very deep thoughts on AI that are very famous because he's authored a pay per in twenty twenty four highlighting how we would get to artificial general intelligence, which is the holy grail off AI. He has a deep technology background and is just generally a really bright guy. He grew a two hundred and twenty five million dollar hedge fund up to ten billion dollars, so that is his track record until this laterst wipeout, and he's done it through very concentrated bets across the AI supply chain, whether you're talking about energy or chips of this plane lllms in the case of anthropy in the private market. So he's invested across the supply chain and done really quite well. It appears though, that he's been caught off guard with the big change in direction over the last couple of months when he was at his maximum size, and that's what's caused the problem here.
Speaker 1: So I suppose talk us through exactly what happened when things started to go wrong and how did sitad Alan ken Griffin get involved.
Speaker 5: So what happens when a large fund like this is on leverage is that they get that money from a prime broker. Now, when those holdings are worthless, the prime broker needs their money back because they've lent you the money in the first place, and they're getting, you know, thirty forty percent marked down in the value of the holdings. So these prime brokers came to Situational Awareness for money, and to raise that money you would need to sell in the market, and there's been some of that pressure on the holdings recently. But in the end, you want to kind of get the money quicker instead of selling it in market, and that's where Citadel comes in. Citadel is a block player. They would have charged a discount for the liquidity that they are providing for Ashon Brenner and Situational Awareness to get out of these positions. Once that's done, you can see the selling pressure alleviate in the portfolio of names that they own, and most of those names up fifteen to twenty percent. That includes the Skehenix ADR where Situational Awareness was a cornerstone player in the Ada launch. So that's one of the reasons COREA is on fire.
Speaker 1: Today, So what does the future look like then? For situational awareness and I suppose what's the lesson from this story and the volatility of these investments.
Speaker 5: Well, to start with the lesson first is just a combination of leverage and voltaity. It never goes well. Seeing that even in Korea with the retail investors and their leverage ETFs, that combination has not worked out in the last couple of months and there's some step losses there because the risk management quite frankly you know, is a bit stretched.
Speaker 1: In terms of the future.
Speaker 5: He is sitting on very large positions in private markets, in most notably in Anthropic and other names in the AI space, So how he monetizes that or whether he gets to hang on to that is a point of conjecture. Reporting suggests that he looked to sell those stakes as well before changing his mind after he got the public markets liquidity. The next step is he's looking to raise new money now. It will be very interesting how whether his early LP's limited partners, who did really well with him at the beginning, choose to reload, and if they do, what does he choose to reload in will he stick with the original beds or has his investment thesis changed, so when he comes back with new money, his thirteen F filings of what he's bought will be super interesting.
Speaker 1: Certainly. Well, Anthony, thank you very much for bringing us the background to this fascinating story and also where it may go next. That's our Markets reporter Anthony Stevens. Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Daybreak Europe coming up after this now. Wildfires are continuing to burn in many parts of Europe, with hundreds of thousands of people forced from their homes in France and in Spain. Scientists say that climate change is making fire weather more common and more extreme. Our reporter and either Azuke joins us now from Paris for more. Now, first of all, you were in Bordeaux this week reporting for this story. What is the situation like there now?
Speaker 6: Thank you for having me. It was actually a sad site to tour the Bordeaux area, which is normally full of happy tourists who come to the area to visit the beautiful old town. You know, there are camping sites, normally upscale resorts like cafet where people come to enjoy the oysters. You know, at the end of the day. My thought was scratching. You know, even areas where there are no fire, it's kind of hard to breathe and walk around. I saw people wearing masks. Basically, the firefighters are still battening the flames on all fronts, you know, in the Bordeaux area, in other places in France and also in Spain. They are truly unprecedented wildfires. You know, across France and Spain, we've had more than three hundred and twenty thousand people evacuated, which is like the largest wildfire evacuation operation in Europe possibly ever. Now thousands have started to return to areas where the flames are now under control. But you know, the largest fire in the Bordeaux region continues to you know, continues on and we've had more than forty two thousand hectars roughly, if you want, four times the size of Paris burnt. Already since January, we've had more than one hundred thousand hectars burnt in the country, which is very significant. You know, we have fires also on hills overlooking the Mediterranean and also in the island of Corsica. So basically twenty twenty six is already the worst wildfire season on record in France.
Speaker 1: And why are these fires proving so difficult then to control?
Speaker 6: It's really a combination of different factors. Firstly, you know, we've seen repeated heat waves. We are at the fourth heat wave this year and we're not even in August yet, so that's one thing. The temperatures are exceeding forty degrees celsius in many parts of France but also in southern Europe where you are seeing all these fires. There is also another factor where we are having very wet winters which allow shrubs to grow, and then you have weeks of heat waves and hot, dry weather which make all these very bustable in forests and vegetation. And the third factor is really strong winds, which you know, allow fires to spread very rapidly and change direction with very little warning. These can create something which is called in firefighting slang pyrocumulon limbus clouds, which are fire clouds that you know, generate their own weather. They can have like powerful updrafts and unpredictable winds can make these firefighting operations very difficult. Firefighters also speak about something called zombie fires, which is basically that the fire continued to burn underground without being visible, and then they can flare up several days or even weeks later. This happened in twenty twenty two. You know, there were big fires and it took months in some areas years to put them out completely because they continued to burn underground.
Speaker 1: Yeah, frightening scenes that we've seen beamed around the world from France and Spain and elsewhere as well. In a moment like this, it's very difficult, of course, to talk about the economic consequences, because this is a live situation for those both fighting it and those who are worried about the future of their homes. But what do we know about what all of this will mean for the economy, given that you know, climate change seems to be indicating this could be a recurring event.
Speaker 6: So the economic impact will almost certainly amount to billions of euros. There are no accurate figures for now, but it's surely in the billions of euros. You know, the in France's Johonne there are more than thirteen thousand businesses that have been disrupted by evacuation orders, affecting more than one hundred and fifty thousand workers. You know, you've had major industrial and defense sites, including from companies like tals and Erbus and Thatsaw Aviation, which have temporarily reduced or suspended operations. They evacuated some sites. You know, tourism has been taking a very significant hit during the peak holiday season.
Speaker 4: You know this.
Speaker 6: We are in July and August. You know, we have beaches, campsites, roads closed. In the Bordeaux area. I saw empty restaurants on piazzas normally full of tourists. Hotels are at thirty percent occupancy when they are normally at above ninety percent. You have agriculture which is suffering from burned forests and livestock losses, smoke affecting vineyards and crops. You know, this is like the top whining region in France with cint Emilion and other areas. And that's not counting the huge cost of emergency response, you know, helping people return home, rebuilding the homes, the roads, the infrastructure, and insurance claims. You know, only maybe ten percent of climate related economic losses in Europe are typically inshored, so the rest will fall on governments and businesses and local communities.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to Bloomberg Daybreak Europe.
Speaker 7: If you're enjoying the podcast, give us a follow, leave a rating or review, and maybe send it to that one friend or colleague who's always trying to keep up with the news.
Speaker 1: And if one podcast today isn't it not for you? You can also listen to us live every weekday from six am in London on DAB Radio, on tune in and on the Bloomberg Business app
Speaker 7: Or if you've got a smart speaker nearby, just say play Bloomberg Radio.