Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 5: Ready for a break? Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 3: It's time for The Break on.
Speaker 6: Dallas Cowboys dot Com right with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 1: It is Wednesday, December eleventh, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number eighty three. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We're live from the SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star, presented by LG. LG is the world's number one o leed TV brand for eleven years in counting See why at LG dot com.
Speaker 5: Forward Slash o leed Efo. Welcome to show everyone. Hows' right doing?
Speaker 4: Doing well? Good morning, coming in hot, but we're.
Speaker 3: Here, We're here, We're all ready to go.
Speaker 1: We got the crew back together today we start talking about Cowboys versus Panthers.
Speaker 5: We'll get into that Panthers offense.
Speaker 1: A lot of interesting things storylines to follow there, as far as some of the players that you will see this weekend. Facing your Dallas Cowboys, we'll talk a little bit about the Dallas defense. We'll hopefully get a few questions here. I have a few questions already from x uh and so we'll try to get to some of those in.
Speaker 5: The third segment.
Speaker 1: If you have more, please send them and we'll see how many we can get to. At some point during the show. Let's start first with a couple injuries I want to I want to talk about first, give me kind of a status on what you heard at this point. For demarveon Overshown, we already know that he's going to have to have surgery. Do we know anything more about what the actual injury is and kind of the prognosis of what that looks like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, torn ACL, torn MCL, torn PCL's. You have five major ligaments in your knee and he tore three of them. The bright side is there's no nerve damage and there's no may your structural damage aside from the ligaments. If there is a bright side to that, to that type of injury, I say.
Speaker 5: Bright side real quick. The bright side is like Jalen Smiths about to get the nerve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry, yeah, yeah, and you hit it right on the head. At Jalen Smith. He had nerve damage whenever he suffered that knee injury that he had at Notre Dame right before getting drafted here. So, you know, is it something that he's going to deal with his whole career. You would have to say so, just because with the with the nature of the injury and the rehab that's going to go into it. But as far as surgery goes, I think they were trying to get surgery this week. I don't think the swelling is going to be down in time to get surgery done this week, but something that will probably happen in the coming weeks. And then once that surgery happens, you're looking at about a twelve month rehab best case scenario. Now, with it being Demarve and Overshown, I wonder how he kind of pushes the limits there on his own account and is able to get on the field a little bit earlier than maybe anticipated. You know, Mike McCarthy said yesterday that it's very realistic he missed the entire season next year. Knowing to Marvin Overshown, I'm betting on that not happening, though I wouldn't be surprised if we look up week eleven, Week twelve next year and hey, is overshown getting close and so it wouldn't surprise me.
Speaker 4: But there's a lot of steps to get there. Obviously. It's it's awful.
Speaker 2: It's my first time talking about the h the injury on this show, and it's it's he's such a good dude. He helps out so many people in that locker room, he helps out us in the media, and obviously he had a fantastic season. He was on a he was on a Pro Bowl pace in my opinion. Wishing the best for him and hope that my beast Texas Brethren can can get back on the field soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's just unfortunate.
Speaker 7: But we've seen this with him and then Britt Brown working together before and they you know, unfortunately, you know, I was watching Britt, you know, help him off the field, and I guarantee you that Britt was talking to him the whole way as they were walking, and you know, and and you know, and and I'm sure the young man had emotions and he was probably talking to Britt like, okay, here we are. This thing is probably not good. You know, we need to get a plan and and Britt will have a plan. The kid will have a plan. He's a hard worker, he's dedicated, he doesn't mistreatments. It's important to him.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: It's it's just so unfortunate that early in his career that he's had that dealt with these two types of injury. This one, this one is they call it the unhappy triad, and it is.
Speaker 3: It is tough.
Speaker 7: Uh, But you know with Britt and with his uh, with overshown's uh toughness and desire. Yeah, that they will they will find a way to get back on the field. You know.
Speaker 3: Listening to you know, Nick and the other.
Speaker 7: Reporters asked questions yesterday, you know, they the question was talked to about Mike McCarthy. Asked Mike McCarthy about you know, do you think this that they could miss the twenty twenty five season then, you know, and Mike was you know, Mike was honest about it. He said, there's a possibility of that. But I like what Nick's saying. I like what the kid's attitude is and hopefully it's a be more sooner than later.
Speaker 2: Here we'll say one thing that he's already asking about his rehab and like what he can do to get ready for surgery and how how he can take these next few days. And he's already on top of this rehab. So that's that's that's good to hear. That's really good to hear.
Speaker 7: I think this injury happened in Navara Bowman for the for the forty nine ers linebacker at what point in his career?
Speaker 3: Uh? Yeah, early on? Was this something happened?
Speaker 7: It was something in the middle, something towards the end of his career. But he he did miss the entire season and then came back for seasons after. But I was trying to think exactly, but I knew this was and I remember this being an injury that he had similar and you know, but he he did miss the entire next season but came back.
Speaker 5: And was that the one he hit that happened in the Super Bowl playoffs?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it was.
Speaker 3: I think it was late, very late, very late, and yeah, very late, yeah, very late in the year.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, So I'm looking at it right here.
Speaker 2: He had he had torn his uh A CL, MCL, PCL and meniscus, so it was an added lookment that was torn for.
Speaker 5: Him and then missed the entire next year.
Speaker 2: He missed the entirety of twenty fourteen, and then in twenty fifteen he returned and was still a first team All Pro.
Speaker 5: So yeah, we go, yeah, we go.
Speaker 3: That's that. Yeah, I remember this being the injury. I didn't remember all four. I thought it was three.
Speaker 1: But yeah, And I guess the other part to that is you you like the fact, at least if you're looking for silver linings, he's a young guy. Yeah, he's a you know, he's a guy that attacks, you know, everything the right way. So all those things considered, there's no reason to believe that he can't come back from this and be.
Speaker 7: The I hope this is the last thing he ever has in his career. Then, yeah, he's had He's had two major injuries and very early in his career. You hate that for anybody, but maybe this is the you know, maybe this is I think this is why everybody was really emotional in the locker room. Yeah, it was a tough loss, but they also understand what that kid's gone through to get back on the field, you know, especially in that linebacker room.
Speaker 3: Mate.
Speaker 7: You know, I listened to going back and listening to Michael Parsons talk. I just felt like that the whole It was like everything that he said was.
Speaker 3: Like the whole emotion of the season.
Speaker 7: It's just coming, you know, like you know, and he's the one guy that stood up there and said, Okay, you don't believe in us, don't you know? Don't he He really put it on the line that hey, we're a good football team. You know, keep you know, if you want to jump off the bandwagon, jump off, but we're a good football team. And then when how that game went down the other night, you could just feel the injury, the loss, really the emotion of what else can go wrong in this season? It all just came out. And I think that's the point when you start to realize that no matter how hard we play or how hard do we try, this is something we're always going to have to deal with in this sport. Like I say, look at the look at the injury report for the two Super Bowl teams. There's not a person on that damn thing. You know, no one, no, everybody wants to play. Everybody wants to know you. You could be severely banged up and go play in that game. But that's sometimes how things work when you're a team that's struggling and you're losing games, and man, it just seems like the injuries do pile up on you.
Speaker 8: Well, it's very unfortunate for a guy like him, who's so liked on and off the field and everything that he was able to accomplish this year and looking at next year, such a big loss for the cowboy, especially on a year that you're struggling with cap money, you're struggling with having to fill or going to have to fill all those other needed positions, and now you're looking at the linebackers with a guy like Eric Kendricks running. I think this is his last. It was a one year deal, so again just the adding to the need of such a key player that he has been for this defense this year, and I'm just I hope that he's able to maintain the right support around him because mentally, he's shown that he's mentally tough and when you're recovering from that, I think that's something that contributes. I would contribute his fast return this year because of the mental toughness that he has and the mental like the positivity that he brings. And not to turn this back to Micah Parsons, but I thought it was very telling the way that he reacted with so many emotions and gearing teary eyes and all of that. Because we're often we often hear how so many people address Micah as someone that only cares about himself and nobody else on the team. And it just goes to show again credit to Overshown how he's been, but also impressive to see Micah in his role kind of as a leader alongside with him. Because you talk about someone that plays a similar position has started doing something similar that Micah has been doing. Sometimes you can see that as a threat, you know, but it hasn't been any of that. He has embraced that change in Overshown's game. So I thought it was very sweet and emotional to see a reaction like that and just to hear the amount of support that a guy like Overshow has.
Speaker 7: This, you know, and Nick and I will get into this in about a month with the draft. This kind of puts linebacker in a situation right now where all of a sudden, linebacker might have been something you had on the back burner, and now linebacker even with lea foul and you know, you mentioned Kendrick's being on a what you need to bring. Yeah, there's there's some things that you're probably looking at right now of whether that pick's thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, wherever that pick is, you know that there off ball linebacker is going to be in play there, you know, I mean there are a lot of positions in play. But now you're like, okay, where's the depth of this linebacker room. I mean, we've seen Dmoon Clark has been really inactive, a non factor, you know, is he part of what you're going to do? You know it doesn't appear that way, but you know, we'll see with marys Leef I having to play these these next four games, how he's going to.
Speaker 3: Play and if you know, if the play there is not what.
Speaker 7: It needs to be, I think I think off ball linebacker is clearly in the sites for Dallas Cowboys when we're picking in the first round.
Speaker 9: John Campbell, Oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. They can find you one. We'll find you one. This became very.
Speaker 1: A very tough, tough injury for the Cowboys in so many ways, Like you said in the locker room, as a teammate, what the play is that you get on the field, and then what you have to do next year, and it makes you really tough because, Brian, let's say, for example, you were going to go the route of we're gonna we're gonna try to address this in a draft and even take a high pick. You're using a high pick on a position that may be only a one year thing. He may come back in twenty six and he's back to normal and Marris is playing well.
Speaker 5: But you don't know.
Speaker 1: You so now you're having to use resources on something that could be over using the resources because you just don't know what it'll be like a year out.
Speaker 7: Right, Nick, we feel better right now if Zach Martin were to retire, right, we feel we all feel better about maybe the right guard position.
Speaker 3: Might be Okay, I don't think we feel this way about linebacker right now.
Speaker 5: Agreed, I don't.
Speaker 3: And that's and the depth is better.
Speaker 7: All of a sudden, everybody's like going, well, hey need an offensive lineman.
Speaker 3: Got to get it.
Speaker 7: You know you're probably gonna lose your guard, what about you know, oh this move guys right now. But the way that the depth has kind of shown up for the offensive line position since Martin has been out gives you a little bit more of a feeling of like, Okay, this could be all right. I think running backs another position. That's the same way with what you've seen from Rico Dowda. You're like, Okay, get another guy. If you want to get another guy. Maybe it doesn't have to be a first round guy. Maybe it could be a second or third round guy. But I mean, I feel better linebacker. I can't say that I feel better about the position the way it's looking right now, I can't say that.
Speaker 5: All right, let's take our first break. We will come back.
Speaker 1: We will introduce the Carolina Panthers and tell you what you think, what we think you need.
Speaker 5: To know about that offense. We'll be back. Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per ho. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 11: Five G requires can PABA plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 12: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 9: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out.
Speaker 3: Of your car.
Speaker 9: You can take advantage of Take five's stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five, the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys from the field to the festivities.
Speaker 13: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star and Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 14: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yeti Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Back to the.
Speaker 8: Break, LG old Evo is the best TV in the game, but don't take her word for it. Di Digit Digital Digital trans said the lgol G four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See for yourself at LG dot com slash oled Evo.
Speaker 1: Welcome back. It is the second segment of the break. We are live from that s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star were presented by LG and this segment is brought to you by blockchain dot com. All right, so let's talk about the Carolina Panthers. They are coached by Dave Canalis. Their record right now is three and ten, but do not be fooled by that. Uh these stats are also pretty.
Speaker 5: Bad, but do not be fooled by them.
Speaker 1: Right now point four, I'm just saying they've they've only had scored on average seventeen point nine points per game.
Speaker 5: They are twenty eighth in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Points against twenty nine point eight is what they're giving up per game. That's dead last in the NFL and points against. What for you guys stands out most about.
Speaker 4: This team their offensive line.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's not a ton of names that you might know. If you're a draft nerd, you might you might know that they're left top was the first round pick a couple of years ago, and Ekam Mgwuonu. But I you look, it's most of the kind of a ragtag group of guys, and they are nasty, they're dirty, they get after it and run block. I think a couple of them are better than others in past block. But this offensive line, I think is the strength of this team. You've seen how Chuwba Hubbard has been able to run the ball this season, and I give a lot of credit to the offensive line for him being able to do that. He's a talented runner, but he wasn't running like this whenever Carolina had these lines of the past. And they've even dealt with injuries up front and they've still gotten better as the season has gone on.
Speaker 4: I think this offensive line is a real challenge for anybody that goes up against it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's got size to it, Yeah it is. It's kind of a bully offensive line. And you mentioned there's only been really you know, three of the draft picks have been on it though. You know the first round is Nick was talking about a sixth round and then the second round. You know, Moten has played the longest there since twenty seventeen. I kind of feel like they're a little bit of a slow footed group, you know when you watch them play. I mean because they're big, but you know, when you and I've seen some like people kind of move them a little bit and make them work, you know when it comes to the quickness, and I think that's something that this group wants to beat up on you. They're going to play in condensed formations. You know, we talk about the width of formations. This team gets real tiny, and I mean they get real tiny and then they push on you, is what they do. They play a lot of bunch formations, which are the three wide receivers. There's a lot of movement to it. They've kind of figured out. It was kind of fun to watch him play. I did not go and watch when he got benched. I didn't take any of those early games. I didn't watch any of those early games they played. What's the last five games that are playing Kansas City, Tampa, Philly, you know they played much better as an offense. Hubbard running the football is going to be a challenge, especially on the edge. He's one of these guys that kind of will take the ball and move it to the outside and try and get around the corner. He's had his best games against teams that don't play very good run defense. For example, you could go back and look at him and I wrote these downs because I said, Okay, I need to see this because I went back and looked at all his carries and like he's averaging four point seven yards of carry, right, but he's bullied teams like the Giants, the Bears, Bengals, Chargers, and Vegas. These are all teams that are that are in the top ten when it comes to the worst for yards per carry. But when he's played Philadelphia, Kansas City, Tampa, the yards per carry has gone to like three and a half. So teams that are teams that all have a little bit better front seven, he's kind of struggled against the teams. Dallas is fourth worst than the league right now in yards per cary. I think it's four point eight. So now if that trend holds. You know, here it goes toop Hubbard. Could he bully a Dallas defense that's played better in the last few weeks when it comes to playing run defense. But I'll tell you where I really worry about Hubbard is after what we saw last week was Cincinnati throwing the ball to the back, I worry about this guy gets involved in the passing game too, and that's where I have some concern, not only handing him the football, but also them splitting them out. They go empty formation, split him out there, run routes with him. You know, Cincinnati kind of gave you a little bit of a blueprint of like, hey, maybe throw the back here and you can have some success.
Speaker 1: Well, but is would you say that part of the reason why maybe they had so much success Cincinnati with the running back is because they're dealing with on the back end these wide receivers that are crazy good that can kill you. Oh no, and you don't deal with that level of wide receiver this week.
Speaker 3: Listen, You're absolutely right.
Speaker 7: I just know throwing to a back is throwing to a back to me, you know, I mean, if guys can get open and separate and catch the ball, and yeah, you're right, Cincinnati's got some crazy guys. I'll say this, though, I don't know what you think about Adam. It's it's wild to watch. And Adam Thielen is a veteran guy. But they play in these condensed formations. They play bunch formations. They'll like do crazy things like with him, like they'll like bunch and they'll delay like he's gonna like he's waiting on the line, waiting the line, and things start to develop, and then you lose him and then he's running wide open across the field and then they throw him the ball and you're like going, damn, you know, we got to cover this guy. But they they've they've got some guys with Like I say, there's this Tompkins kid that they have number thirteen. Now they've thrown him four balls. He's four for four on catches in run. But he's like the pop pass guy. He's like the turpin dude, you know, like he comes in motion, he goes, he goes out, he comes back in They book pop pass it to him.
Speaker 3: He got Kansas City a couple of times on that and you're wondering, like.
Speaker 7: Okay, if misdirection pop pass misdirection, wide wide receiver delay. Their offense seems to be a little bit more comfortable now kind of doing and I don't call it tricks, but it's ways to kind of to make the quarterback. He's thrown for like two hundred and fifty yards in these last three games, you know, throwing the ball down the field. He's been more accurate. There's the yards per attempt, He's handled pressure better. There's a lot of things the last several weeks about Bryce Young in this offense that I think Carolina has to be.
Speaker 3: They like to be, have to be. Okay, that's what's kept him in some of these games.
Speaker 2: I think that time off did a lot for him, and you see kind of a different layer of understanding for Bryce Young. It seems to be a lot slower for him since coming off that break that he had as a starter. I think he's starting to stamp his place back as.
Speaker 4: Being the guy there.
Speaker 2: But you're talking about the receiver group. I feel like I've been saying this every week. There's probably two guys that I think would be the second best receiver on this team right now, and that's Adam Theelen and Xavier Languet. And I would almost factor Jalen Cocher into that equation as well. Jalen Coker an undrafted guy out of Holy Cross. He was a Shrine Bowl guy. I hear it here in Frisco last year, and he's been he has been banged up a little bit. He's becoming a fan favorite for the Panthers. I mean, he's he's made big plays, he's a he's one of the guys that talks more in the locker room than anybody. Also, the Panthers just have a ton of media access as well.
Speaker 4: A lot of these guys.
Speaker 2: It feels like they talked during the week, just kind of going back and looking at what they do. But yeah, there's a no, no, no, it's a little bit uh yeah. They are able to h they are able to uh video in the locker room.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, damn, but yeah, but I think, yeah, exactly exactly. I think, uh.
Speaker 2: I think with this receiver group though, I think I think you keep an eye on a few of these guys.
Speaker 4: And then Jatavian Sanders.
Speaker 2: I hate to do this to you, Derek, but I'm not a huge fan of Datavian Sanders. I loved his potential in college. I just don't think he's an NFL athlete. You see him be able to bully guys at the tighten position, and I think in those in that close range, within like the five to ten yard range, he can really make Uh, he can really pick up some yardage. But he's not going to be that run after the catch guy. He's not going to be the guy that separates on routes. Uh, he's just gonna be He's gonna try to over physical you and try to try to basically man balls away from you.
Speaker 4: Out It is as it is it is. And then you know, I have I have to talk about Jonathan Brooks to tearing his a c L once again. He's another Texas guy.
Speaker 2: Overshon is not the only one that's that's dealing with back to back torn a c L. So, uh, shout out to Jonathan Brooks as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: You know, David Moore too, has been a guy they got from Tampa Bay and he thought he was a writer. Yeah, this one, this one can make contests to catches. Yeah yeah, this one right here can make no. But they've got it's kind of a sneaky group, it really really and they and they have played better. I was watching the games I the first part of that season that that's a train wreck what was going on there. And but they are, they are playing better football offensively, and they're going to they're going to to challenge you because of I always say this, how tight they play the condensed formations, and they're gonna make you chase guys. If you're gonna play man coverage, they're gonna make you chase them. And they're gonna they're gonna test you a little bit with that, with the way that they play their routes or use their routes.
Speaker 1: When you talk about chub Chewba Hubbard, Yeah, what makes him so tough as a running.
Speaker 2: Back, He's built low on the ground, He's he's tough to bring down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's really tough.
Speaker 2: If he gets lower than you at the at the point of attack, he's gonna he's gonna power through you. And uh, he's just a tough guy to bring down. The veteran presence that he brings. You're starting to see what the experience in the league has done for him over the last couple of years, because I think early in his career he underwhelmed quite a bit. But I think these last couple of years, he's starting to really put it together, so much so that they've given him a contract, even despite drafting Jonathan Brooks in the second round. I think experience has done so much for him. But he's just a physical guy. He's tough to bring down. It's really good between the tackles and with this offensive line, it makes a lot of sense why he's having the year he's having.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like I say that between the tackles outside, it's the Cowboys have faced some of his very similar tight backs, the mixing guys like that that play. You know, they're powerful. They when you hit them, they can bounce off them. You know, you got to wrap this guy up. I just think that to me when and usually with these backs I kind of look and see, Okay, how are they in blitz pick up?
Speaker 3: How are they passed protect? This guy didn't give up any sacks, you know.
Speaker 7: So that just tells you right there that either they get him involved with the routes, but when he has to blitz protect or pass protect, can could be a complete guy. Catch the football, run the ball, block those kinds of guys you absolutely love to.
Speaker 1: Have every offensive line, no matter how good has a weak point. Obviously, you guys like this offensive line. If you were going to attack them defensively and figure out where you can get pass rush, where would you attack them?
Speaker 2: I would say the interior. But I I really do feel like there's a way to attack and pass rush with just about all these guys I'm confident in and being able to get around the right tackle Taylor Motone.
Speaker 4: How you say it, Moto Moton, But I think you're.
Speaker 5: Saying you don't think they can get around him.
Speaker 7: He's given up the most sacks. Oh you can't get around Yeah he has. He's given up five.
Speaker 2: Man pff and next gen they need to have like a merger because this is the social zero for ye know.
Speaker 4: He's moo.
Speaker 7: They say that he's given up the most sacks is what is what he said? But you, like I said, and I think where you're absolutely right about this. This this this offensive line is big and there and there. That's where I think to me, you know, Robert hunt inside has had some he's had some issues. Like you're watching, like quickness gets him. I think movement and I think the one thing Dallas does have with their with their defensive line is movement with with Osa, you know with micah uh even even Golston has a little bit of movement to him. I would not be surprised if you see, like the Dallas get their twist game going back with this, you know, trying to find some.
Speaker 3: Ways maybe they're they're they're way of funny. And you know when teams now.
Speaker 7: Have the way they blocking Dallas with they have the the you know, the the the double a gap blitz. You know, teams were putting tight ends and stuff and backs and setting them up, you know, tight to the line and protect. Carolina does it a little bit different way. They put the two tight ends in the backfield and then they put the back like an epistol formation, and so they have like three in the backfield like an inverted wishbone, and then what happens at snap They just step up, they go play action off it, and then but they have the guys to kind of yeah, yeah, exactly, I mean, but but it's like that, it's like two tight ends and then the back and the pistol and then they step up and protect.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's saying Carolina.
Speaker 7: Does something very similar, and I think that's how teams are handling Dallas's double a gap. Look, so this is where now I feel like that, Okay, if people are trying to block you that way, that means that they're they're they're worried about uh, they're worried about UH. When you get Kendricks and at the time overshown in those I just really think, yeah, I feel like that. I feel like that any one of these spots at the tackle spot could be really really good for the couch. But I would say the movement is going to be the most important. How do you get how do you get these guys going one way and take them back the other with a rush or make these guys want they leave their tackles one on one eighty percent of the game I went back. I'm like, it doesn't like they're getting any help. I think it was eighty one eighty two percent of these tackles. So they're trying to help inside more than they are on the outside. So try and find a way to win one on one to get some of these slower footed these offensive linemen.
Speaker 5: All right, let's take our final break.
Speaker 1: We will come back and have a few more thoughts on this Carolina offense and the Dallas Defense will be back Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 6: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys then on an LG oled Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more likel like every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 5: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 6: It's all thanks to LG these legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 4: No one comes close.
Speaker 6: Lgoled Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash Oldevo.
Speaker 15: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 4: If you shout how about them Cowboys.
Speaker 2: You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation, And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 4: The wins will be even tasteier. It's a pepper thing, and we're going to overtime.
Speaker 5: Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 16: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com, slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America, Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses may very digital tool feature required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Elish language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message data rates and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast reliable, Secure.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. Add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 3: Back to the break.
Speaker 8: AT and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 5: Welcome back.
Speaker 1: Final segment of the break laft Ness WVC Mortgage Studios at the Star.
Speaker 5: All right, I have a question for you, guys. Bryce Young.
Speaker 1: Back when he was in college, his legs for you, he was and that's where I was going. It was like back then his legs were a problem. Yeah, Is that as much of a problem at this point in the NFL, or is that something where he's kind of calmed that a little bit and then it's more about him trying to throw from the pocket and maybe move around some But is he is he really as dynamic running the ball as he was in college.
Speaker 2: Just from my perspective, I feel like last year he tried early on to carry that athleticism over and defenses were just attacking him. He really have the offensive line around him to be able to accommodate for that, and he got swarmed as a result, and I think it kind of killed his confidence from an athleticism standpoint, because I think you saw him earlier in the year being not necessarily an entire statue, but more of a statue than what he had been in the past, and then you see That's what I more so say about. I think that time off did a lot for him because he went back to the sideline, and I think since he's come back into the game, he started to be a little bit more athletic. Granted, I don't think he's going to be that guy that takes off for a thirty yard run. I don't think he's necessarily that right now, but I think he is a guy that can get outside of the pocket, throw on the run, and make some really impressive throws downfield like he did at Alabama.
Speaker 4: He's on the upper trajectory.
Speaker 2: I think he came into the league and just went down, down, down, And I think he's starting to come back up a little bit. You're starting to see the bright spots of Bryce Young and his athleticism. His mobility will always have to be a part of that because of the size that he is. If his athleticism and his mobility is taken out of the equation, he is not the quarter that was selected first overall last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think the thing when you watch him play that there's now a little bit more of a willingness too if things. Especially watching the Kansas City game, they were the way they played, like man coverage and stuff, and he was he was seeing like he would go back and then he would see a gap and he would just take off. You know, It's like okay, then you know, get what you can get down on the ground. I think they're kind of encouraging him to use his legs more. Uh, he does have the ability. He's a slippery player though when you watch him play, you know, I mean at Alabama.
Speaker 3: He was amazing.
Speaker 7: We were just joking about the the Texas game and how he saved that game in Austin one time. Just duck it, you know, just he's dead to rights and he ducks it and then next thing you know, he's up the sidelines and there in field goal range. But that's he he has that kind of ability. He is so small though when you watch him play, I mean he is like you look at Joe Burrow and others of the guys that they play and he and then you watch this guy and he's just like so small out there, but you know they're he's throwing the ball better. He's he's he's more confident in him throwing the ball. He's confident what he's seeing. He is a different quarterback than what the Cowboys you know, faced last year at this time.
Speaker 8: Yeah, quick question, since I'm trying to wrap my head around like what this matchup or how this matchup is going to look like.
Speaker 3: You're winning a half point dogs in this.
Speaker 8: One, especially with like overshown being out and how the defense, how that's going to affect the defense. I feel like we never really got a chance to talk about Trevon and Duran Blam back together and how they looked on the field like after the game, and that was something we were waiting for for a while, so we kind of mentioned it a little bit. But how'd you feel about like their coverage overall and working together.
Speaker 4: I think they had a Jamar Chase problem, yeah, but other than that, it was.
Speaker 5: By the way the NFL has Chase.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: No, he was ten to twelve against all receipt all cornerbacks that played against Smith this past weekend.
Speaker 2: I think whatever you look at Deron Bland, I was getting ready postgame to write about how his coverage skills have just taken off this year and it's been significantly better than when he was, you know, being that pick six machine last year, because I think it was more so boom or bust with Deron Bland at times last year, whereas I feel like this time around, we're not calling his name as much for a good reason because he's not getting thrown at that often. I was getting ready to do that until he gave up the game winning touchdown and then I was like, Okay, maybe we'll save that for next week. So it's all that timing with Trayvon Diggs that he played a ton of snaps.
Speaker 4: He looked healthy doing so.
Speaker 2: I think this Jamar Chase issue was just I didn't see them playing bad on him. I really didn't see them having bad coverage on Jamar Chase. I just saw a better quarterback receiver connection. I mean, those two guys are so locked in. It felt like every time that Chase got a reception that he had a corner draped over him each time. It wasn't like the run after catch really came until that very last catch that was a bad play by Deron Bland. He oversold it and then he got turned around and it was gone from there. You take that play out of the equation. The run after the catch wasn't really there for Chase because he had a corner on him each time. I think Burrow is just so precisely accurate, and Chase has strong hands, and that connection is so good that it would have been really difficult to stop Jamar Chase from so good practice for.
Speaker 8: The receivers you're gonna face this week.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and this receiver crew is definitely not as good, but I think there are still some guys good.
Speaker 1: Your defensive backs can match up with it.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, Okay.
Speaker 7: I think Cincinnati went into this game playing these guys thinking they could not play.
Speaker 3: The out routes.
Speaker 7: I think I think I think I think Cincinnati said Dallas cannot will not drive on the ball on the outside, because you look at all the routes, you know, it was the next gen had it the most most receptions on out routes in years was in.
Speaker 3: This football game. That his ability.
Speaker 7: And then it's like when they were playing zone, they were running out routes. When they went man, they took him inside. It's like Cincinnati had a plan for how they were going to attack Dallas in this game. They probably I can say, look at the number of routes that he caught, there were out routes, because that's that's really That's how it was.
Speaker 15: Like.
Speaker 7: When I went back, I'm like, God, it's it is. You watched the Tate out and out and out silent out. You know, it's like Dallas would lose him and and it's and it they they've obviously felt like that.
Speaker 3: I'd love to be able to talk to somebody.
Speaker 7: In Cincinnati and say, did you guys feel like that Dallas could not defend the outs? And I would be interesting to see because the majority of his catches were the out routes and stuff like that. Dallas did not play those very very well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had a question from Dave Diagostino. He says, what happened in to Montclark.
Speaker 4: Lost confidence with the coaching staff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's big.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he lost confidence with the coaching staff. His snap started getting taken away and overshown. Emergence was obviously very notable. And then Leah foul passed him up as well, and at that point there wasn't really a spot to keep him around. And if John Fossil was gonna get either Nick Vigil or Damont Clark on special teams, he would have taken Vigil ten times out of ten. So he lost confidence early on. He was missing run gaps. His gap discipline was not strong early in those games we're talking about in those first three games, whenever they were giving up mountains of rushing yards. You look at de Moont Clark and where he was in those situations. It wasn't great. Granted he wasn't he wasn't benefited by the defensive line in front of him.
Speaker 4: They were not helping him by any means. But he lost confidence with his coaching staff very very soon, very early on.
Speaker 1: I think it's going to be very telling as we go over the next few games. If da Mont Clark is either inactive or active and not playing very much on defense, that's gonna tell you a whole.
Speaker 5: Bunch about it.
Speaker 1: At this point, where he is this team and what the expectations are for the offseason.
Speaker 2: I would assume he'd be active since overshown is now out of the equation. I would assume that they would bring up a linebacker from the practice squad that they would sign, and he would be the new inactive guy just to be around. I brock Mugenson as a guy, he's undrafted out of South South Dakota.
Speaker 4: He's he's around.
Speaker 2: But you also have Darius Harris that's that's still on the practice squad as well.
Speaker 4: Maybe he's the guy that gets assigned.
Speaker 2: Actually, Okay, but Dumont Clark, Yeah, yeah, You're gonna learn a lot about where he stands with this coaching staff in the next cus.
Speaker 7: Circle back real quick about the Chase conversation. I found the clip Jamar Chase hauled in nine of his eleven targets on outbreaking routes for one hundred and twenty two yards and two touchdowns, the most receiving yards on outbreaking routes over the last seven seasons.
Speaker 4: I'm writing that down. Good stuff Brian brought us.
Speaker 7: There's there's something that they clearly felt like that Dallas could not defend balls that were going going outside. Now, maybe things going inside breaking routes, driving on the ball and stuff, but nine of his nine of his eleven targets and.
Speaker 3: He had he had fourteen targets overall.
Speaker 7: Uh so you know that are actually fourteen receptions for one hundred and seventy seven yards, So nine of the fourteen work came on those on those routes.
Speaker 3: So there there was clearly something.
Speaker 7: That they saw that Dallas couldn't handle that way.
Speaker 5: Ye all right, that is a rap. We will be back on. Yeah, I got too.
Speaker 1: This is we'll be back tomorrow. We will get into the Carolina. Yeah, we get Carolina. We'll get to the Carolina defense versus the Cowboys offense. Until then, for Nick Harris, Brian brought us a We're gonna see I'm Derek Heiltson. This has been the Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio This has been
Speaker 12: A production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.