Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: It's on truth, social the message.
Speaker 3: After lengthy deliberation and thought, and considering the tremendous talents of many others, I have decided that.
Speaker 2: The person best suited to assume the position of.
Speaker 3: Vice President of the United States is Senator JD.
Speaker 2: Vance of the Great State of Ohio.
Speaker 3: Of course, Donald Trump Junior had pushed hard for this choice, Kaylee.
Speaker 2: And he was, as we mentioned, on every short list.
Speaker 3: He also went through a remarkable evolution from a blue collar critic of Donald Trump's he referred to him as cultural heroine to clearly a MAGA loyalist. To the point now where Donald Trump has made this decision in joining us here in Milwaukee to talk about this and some of the other issues and themes surrounding the RNC, is the Governor of Georgia, Brian Kemp.
Speaker 2: Governor's great to see you. Thank you for being with us today.
Speaker 1: Oh good to be on with you.
Speaker 3: What do you think about this evolution that a guy like JD. Vance went on here? Are you going to find yourself telling a similar story when Donald Trump becomes the official nominee on Thursday night?
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's certainly a lot of excitement. I know, looking at the screen and seeing everybody on the floor. I'm sure the Ohio delegation's very excited. But look, I think it's a good pick for President Trump. I mean, Senator Vance brings an element of use to this race that we haven't seen.
Speaker 1: That's for sure.
Speaker 4: The guys United States Senator obviously qualified to serve a great messenger, which is I think very important when you think about what's going to be going on the next four or five months in this campaign.
Speaker 5: Well, as we consider this selection, though, knowing that you represent one of the key swing states we are watching in this cycle, knowing Georgia is not bright red or bright blue, what does jd Vance bring to undecided voters in Georgia? How is he likely to influence that opinion when he, as we've talked about, may just be seen as a younger version of Donald Trump himself.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's not just what jd Vance brings to the but also what President Trump and other Republicans can do between now November to make sure that you know you're getting those persuadable voters. For me, and what I'm hearing every day is that you know, Americans and Georgians can afford another four years of Joe Biden.
Speaker 1: I think that is a message that jd. Vance can deliver.
Speaker 4: It's certainly a message that President Trump and a lot of other Republicans, whether it be you know, people that we're trying to help win at the state House and state Senate level to hold our majorities in the General Assembly in Georgia, are going to be talking about people. I mean, obviously he's been very outspoken as well on the disaster at the southern border under this administration's policy. So I think there's a number of issues that will resonate with swing state voters.
Speaker 3: He referred to Donald Trump back in twenty sixteen after the book came out as noxious, so leading the white working class into a very dark place?
Speaker 4: Was there some truth to that when you look back, Well, I haven't. I haven't read the book. You know, a lot of people write a lot of different things.
Speaker 1: In the book.
Speaker 2: Did a lot of interviews in that time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, Well I get that. I'm you know, I was busy doing my job and wasn't too worried about his book. But listen, I think you know that this is all about the future. You know, there's been a lot of a lot of tough politics, a lot of rhetoric. I mean, I've been involved in some of that as well with the former president, a lot of other people have to a lot of other people, he were he was considered to be vice president, said you know other things that may not have been that flattery's all water under the bridge. Yeah, but that you know that happens in politics. You're looking on the flip side of that, you know. Uh, Kamala Harris said a lot of bad things about Joe Biden and ended up being his vice presidential pick. So you know it's I think I think it's going to be incumbent on people to stay focused on the future.
Speaker 5: Okay, So if we stay focused on the future and think about the kind of policy that these two as a joint ticket are likely to push for, we know that they lean toward populism, protectionism. Even Senator ged Evans being from Ohio, has been very outspoken, for example, when it comes to the steel industry and that it's stay in American hands, looking at that US steal nip on takeover, something we followed very carefully at Bloomberg. But these ideas of say higher tariffs. As you sit here and tell us that what Georgians really care about is the money in their pocket. Is raising the cost of goods for Americans by putting a blanket tariff on everything, perhaps sixty percent plus on goods coming out of China, a way that you can improve that feeling for.
Speaker 4: People, Well, you know, I would let them speak to their policy positions. But if you look at what Joe Biden's been doing, he's been picking winners and losers. So to me, I think what former President Trump and what people like JD Vance look, I don't agree with everything that Jade Vance has been talking about.
Speaker 1: I have different views myself.
Speaker 4: You know, a lot of people are going to disagree on issues on the economy and on jobs and you know other things that are going on. But you know, the thing is to try, in my opinion, is let the market work and don't pick winners and losers. And that's what Joe Biden has been doing. I think the populist in Donald Trump and people like JD Vance is really trying to fight for the American worker and the little guy out there that's you know, they're not getting, you know, they're not getting their you know, education tuition paid for, their kids may not even have the opportunity to go for college, you know, and just trying to really fight for that everyday American that's out there, I think is really what they're focused on. And look, there's a lot of other policymakers in Washington, d C. That may not go along with that either. So I mean, you have to keep all these things relative. But it's like, who do you think is best going to fight for you in the White House?
Speaker 1: And to me, it's.
Speaker 4: It's you know, the Republican ticket, the Republican policy makers that have been pushing back and didn't create this forty year high inflation where people's mortgage rates are gone up, their rent's gone up, their insurance gone up. They're complaining when they go to gas station, they're complaining when they go to the grocery store, and they've seen a disaster at the southern border and a weakening in our status around the world.
Speaker 2: Well, to pick up on Kiley's point, there's.
Speaker 3: A big debate going on right now about making permanent the Trump tax from twenty seventeen. On the surface, this sounds like something that might bring relief to consumers, but we have economists telling us every day that that will stoke inflation even further.
Speaker 2: Would you tell Donald Trump to tap the brakes on that idea, Well.
Speaker 4: I would not try to be advising them on what they're going to do on federal tax policy, but I can say from the state perspective, you know, we have to balance our budget in the state.
Speaker 1: Of Georgia, and we've been lowering on what that means.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I know, you don't and you know you spend too much money too, So I mean there's ways that you can offset tax cuts to not having an inflationary environment, and that's certainly what we tried to work on in Georgia by lowering the rate not only on the you know, personal income tax, but also on the corporate side of things. So we have a good business environment where people can get a good paying job that can outpace inflation, have good government benefits, and that's really what Republicans are fighting for. Well, Joe Biden and his people have been fighting forest picking winners and losers, you know, back in the union based automakers versus you know, people like we have in Georgia that are non union and to me, it's just if the policy is so good, make it the same for everybody, and if it didn't, then don't have the policy. But look, I agree, we've got to look at government spending, especially in Washington, d C. It's a reason our debts and deficits are up. Is driving you know, part of the interest rate equation. And I think as the Fed continues to look at where the unemployment numbers are and the slowing of the economy, you know, and how they deal with that, it's going to be incoment for policymakers in DC to make good decisions too.
Speaker 5: Governor. Of course, we thought all of our conversations this week, for the most part, would be dominated by policy. But in some ways the tone has very much changed given the events of this weekend and the attempted assassination on Donald Trump. Considering what we did see in your state in twenty twenty threats against poll workers, for example, political violence obviously on January sixth, as the election was attempted to be certified in Washington in early twenty twenty one, How concerned are you about political violence or steaked as we get closer to November.
Speaker 4: Well, look, we're gonna keep people safe in Georgia. I'm not too awful concerned about that, but my job is to make sure that we're you know, concerned about that. So I mean, I don't want to give the appearance that I'm worried about something like that's gonna happen, but I also want people to know that we're going to be prepared for that. I will just tell you that, you know, my thoughts and prayers go out to the you know, just heartbreaking loss of a true American hero that died in that crowd protecting his family, the others that are injured, and you know, thank god President Trump is with us today here in Milwaukee. I can I not imagine what this country would be like right now if that bullet had a moved enter to the wrong way.
Speaker 1: But I think it is an.
Speaker 4: Opportunity for all of us really to just think about the words that we're saying and to make sure that you know, we're we're having our battles in a respectful way at the ballot box, you know, not with fighting months one another or you know, weapons of choice or is what was reported, you know, bombnake making supplies in this kid's car. You know, we need to really think through what we're saying to people. I was telling Marty my team earlier. You know, I go to church with a lot of people that I know don't vote for me, but they don't yell at me at church.
Speaker 1: We're just praying together.
Speaker 4: And I think that's really what the country needs to think about as we moved to November. You know, fight hard for your position, but let's have civil discord, discourse and settle this at the ballot box.
Speaker 3: Well, a lot of people remember the language on the perfect phone call. A lot of people know who Brian Kemp is because of that call, along with your Secretary of State Raeflisberger. You fast forward to this political convention now, and I wonder what your thoughts are about Donald Trump. If you trust him to be the steward here going forward, if he does win reelection, would you would endeavor to have a relationship with him.
Speaker 4: Well, man, we're going to work with any administration this in Washington and d C. And I'll tell you, you know, we had a great work relationship with the Trump administration when they were in office. I had a great relationship with the Vice president with you know, got to know really well a lot.
Speaker 1: Of the cabinet. Second, you can recreate that work work very closely.
Speaker 4: And you know, I've been asked a question, you know, sure do you you know, how do you feel about the democracy and its surviving this election? And I actually feel, you know, very optimistic about that. I think the institutions of government are very strong. There's a lot of good people. When they put their hand on that Bible and take that, oh, they mean it. And I think they'll do their job and follow the law in the constitution, you know, the rest of this year and through this election. And you know, I think I really feel optimistic about that.
Speaker 5: Well, So, if Georgia's result comes down to a few thousand votes as it did last time, twelve thousand whatever, and the results is the same where it is not a victory for Donald Trump, do you trust him to react differently this time?
Speaker 4: Well, I would just tell you I can't speak for what how other people are going to react and other candidates, because I couldn't do that with Stacy Abrams when she never conceded to me in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 5: Stec Abrams wasn't convicted on racketeering charges or indicted.
Speaker 4: Rather well, Stacy Abrams has got a lot of legal problems right now that most people don't report on, and her groups do. Maybe not her personally, but her groups certainly do. But I will tell you that I think the institutional institutions of government, at least in the state of Georgia will hold in the twenty twenty election. I'm very confident on that. I'm very confident that we're going to have a secure, accessible, fair election in our state. Should Georgia drop the case against Donald Trump, well, I don't know that Georgia has a case against Donald Trump because of what the Supreme Court says. Well, I mean you'd have to ask Fannie willis that question. I mean that is the local district attorney that has brought that case, not the State of Georgia.
Speaker 5: Of course, we're not expecting it's going to go to trial before the election. Governor, thank you so much for being with us here in Wisconsin, The Governor of Georgia, Brian Company, appreciate your time, Sir.
Speaker 2: I hope we'll have you back