Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News, The.
Speaker 2: Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: Well, let's take a look at some stocks on the move today in Europe. I'm Stephen Carroll and I'm joined by Bloomberg's Breaking News editor Louise Moon.
Speaker 4: Louise, good morning.
Speaker 3: Let's start then with Ryanair and a hit to their profits.
Speaker 1: Indeed, yes, shares down this morning for Ryanair as much as about almost eight percent this morning.
Speaker 4: As you say hit the profits.
Speaker 1: Profits fell thirty four percent in the first quarter and missed estimates as well. Essentially this is all down to the impacts from a war in the Middle East, so twofold, driving up oil prices and weakening demand for travel.
Speaker 4: So taking both of them.
Speaker 1: Oil prices obviously that's fuel costs, and then demand has been weakening because travelers essentially are hesitant booking trips at the last minute. That therefore has forced Ryanair to cut their fares their sum affairs and Summer is the peak travel seasons that's really hitting their profits, as I say, down thirty four percent. They also said going into the second half of the year, they have no visibility, so they held off issuing guidance for full year profits. So across the board, a big hit to Ryanair. It's the first kind of major European character report on its first quarter. So despite you know, despite the fact that it's a bit of a well trodden story that the war in the Middle East has really hit the aviation sector, this does give a bit of an insight into how and the extent of the challenges still remaining. Got to be said though, despite the analyst is saying that the long term thesis does remain unchanged. So Ryanair is effectively has a debt free balance sheet, It's order book is relatively strong, it's got a strong market position. But the impact of the Middle East, that's what's driving the profit for and driving the share reaction this morning as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, indeed a very interesting one given especially Rhino doesn't operates routes in the Middle East, so of course it makes them the knock on effects more obvious in their results. So let's go to Switzerland next and all cash deal for the contract drug maker Polypeptide.
Speaker 4: Yes, impacting their shares.
Speaker 1: Shares about five percent this morning, sod but being brought by a South Korean company called Samsung Biologics. This is, as you say, in all cash deal values polypeptide at about one point five billion Swiss francs.
Speaker 4: That's about one point eight billion US dollars.
Speaker 1: It represents a premium if you compare it to their last clothes on Friday, of about six percent. But if you compare it actually to their their stock price when there were market rumors there were first market roomors first started about potential takeover, it's forty percent premium, so kind of unsurprising the shares up on the news for Samsung Biologics. It's essentially it's expanding its manufacturing capabilities.
Speaker 4: So polypeptide has.
Speaker 1: Had a bit of a turnaround and it's been ramping up its new facilities, which has attracted take of interest not just from the South Korean company but also from private equity funds. And it all comes in the wider context of drug makers. There's more demand from drug makers for polypeptide based medicine. So this is to treat treatments for obese tea and others as well. So a big deal there for the Swiss company, and that is due to complete towards the end of the year.
Speaker 3: Okay, And we've also been looking at Segro rejecting a third bid from pro largest her investors reacting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some more big m and a news shares slipping in terms of investor reaction for Segro. That's dragging down the foot six hundred in London. So Segro is obviously the warehouse landlord listed here in London, as you say, rejected a third proposal from Prologust, and that was last week that would have valued it at about thirteen point five billion pounds, So it's a big deal. And essentially what's happened this morning is that Prologus have come public that they've they've announced that this happened, that it was rejected, essentially trying to get shareholders on site. So as I say, this is the third proposal, the difference being that Prologust has offered some sweetness. So for example, they're saying that if this does go through, they would explore a secondary listing in London if investors wanted that there was enough.
Speaker 4: Demand for that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, they've gone public trying to persuade shareholders that both sides have been had a bit of a war of words I guess you could say Segro saying you know that they've got the capabilities to go through their plans of building a lot of data centers, whereas Prologus is saying that they're understating how much money and execution is needed to do that.
Speaker 4: So this is still ongoing.
Speaker 1: The deadline for an actual firm offer is July twenty seconds. We're keeping an eye out as to what will happen, and Segros has since come out and said that they would engage if there was an improved bid, So we're keeping a close eye as that.
Speaker 4: Warren words and m and a saga drags on.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.