Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of the Weekly Zeitgeist.
Speaker 2: Uh These are.
Speaker 1: Some of our favorite segments from this week, all edited together into one NonStop infotainment laugh stravaganza. Uh yeah, So, without further ado, here is the Weekly Zeitgeist.
Speaker 2: Miles Colors.
Speaker 1: You are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by a very funny media critic, talented musician, just all around artists who you know from YouTube, where her work has been viewed millions of times and hailed by The New York Times.
Speaker 2: Please welcome, Thank you.
Speaker 3: Am I supposed to sing a song now?
Speaker 2: Yes? You got to your musician. You are duty bound.
Speaker 3: I didn't Preparis song. I didn't Preparis song.
Speaker 2: Will allow it this once.
Speaker 3: I'm just.
Speaker 2: Watch walking on the moon. Cat, there you go. My legs don't break. Yeah, see, I brought it all together right there.
Speaker 3: I'm just not hearing in awe, How on it you guys are so early in the morning.
Speaker 2: Right now, eleven fifty two.
Speaker 3: That's early in the morning for me. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we shouldn't be awake right now, frankly, quite frankly, Cat, we shouldn't be awake right now.
Speaker 2: And you're welcome.
Speaker 3: Look, you have lunch yet, and you're on it on it.
Speaker 2: I have not had lunch yet. Usually, like as soon as we're done recording, I'm like, I am fucked inside out. I'm so dumb about my food intake. Like I will let myself get angry hungry.
Speaker 1: And then yeah and then just be like god and then finally eat And it's like I was holding my breath like that's how hungry.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, damn you know that point like you were your stomach's empty, and like your breath smells bad because your stomach's so empty. My breath never smells bad. Well ship between drinking and baby.
Speaker 3: Well, I've never tried the sniff test when I'm about hungry. I probably should.
Speaker 2: I think you're probably responsible enough to probably eat when it's time to And we're just like just three more recordings and then I will have two twenty pieces of bread or whatever the you. But anyway, thank you so much for coming on. Moons. Can I call you moon cat, moon cat cat?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: People call me moon, people call me moon cat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody calls you moons, So I'm just gonna cut that.
Speaker 3: No one's ever called me moons.
Speaker 2: No, like, my mouth keeps wanting to do that, but that's a very I think that's like an American thing, like throwing as on dude moons. What's up, Moon? Yeah, moons came through. Dude Moons came through the pod. It was really fantastic. Yeah, but yeah, it's so great to have you here. Like like I was saying before, huge fans of your work, so it's really great to have you on to talk about this topic because it's Yeah, we just felt like, wait, we like this video, we love this creator. Let's have a conversation with them, and everyone wins. Everyone wins because I'm sure many of our listeners are also big fans too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: This is definitely the guests that when I've told people.
Speaker 6: Everyone's like, oh hell yeah really, Oh damn, oh damn, oh listen, Oh my god, wait on your podcast if you swear.
Speaker 2: Yes, swear down in the title and everything. Yeah, swear down, man, We're gonna have moon Cat all right.
Speaker 1: Yeah I've been burnt before. Yeah, I put it in the title that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. Look, Gavin McGinnis, he's a coward and he bailed on us. We thought we were gonna have a great conversation with him about the.
Speaker 1: But the wrong Gavin McGinnis, and we're sorry.
Speaker 3: I could just be AI. I could just be an AI version of myself.
Speaker 2: That's right, truly, Yeah, I mean for all we know. Yeah, yeah, but you showed us your hands. You had five digits. They didn't look all AI stuff, so yeah, you passed. The writing on your shirt is complete gibberish.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah it is.
Speaker 2: What's your saying?
Speaker 3: It says sleepy head until I'm dead.
Speaker 1: Oh hell, that's actually I guess it's that as I am a very sleepy boy.
Speaker 3: It has has a little kitten on it. Despite this brand called Dogecore. The owner of that brand, Yeah, the owner of the brand just emailed me one day and was like, I love your videos. Let me send you anod of free clothes. And I was like, okay, yeah crypto, yeah yeah, that's it's not not affiliated with.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you've you've helped uncover everything from fucking crypto influencers to most recently, evolutionary psychology. And we wanted to have you on to talk about your Manosphere video, which is a favorite of ours, and just really open my eyes to a world that I wish I had never learned about, but I think it's important for our job covering the zeitgeist. It was it was very kind of enlightening as to what bullshit is happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but just below the surface.
Speaker 1: What is something Jack Wagner from your search history that is revealing about who you are?
Speaker 7: Oh my god, this is the one I was not quite prepared for. But my search history in general is like insane because of this show. So like I'm just constantly I'm content. I mean, I could look at my search it might be boring today, but I'm constantly looking up stuff where I'm like, oh, I'm for sure going to end up on some watch list, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I feel like a lot of podcast hosts who have deep dive shows have some version like there's no way I'm not on a watch list based on the ship I look up just for my show.
Speaker 7: But a funny one the other day that like in the middle of the inner something came up where like we were talking about, uh, you know those pictures on like Hallmark cards where it'll be like a black and white photo of two little kids usually dressed as adults, like wearing like nineteen forty suits and it'll be like a little boy holding a flower up to the girl or like kissing her on the cheek. Yeah, Like, I don't know whatever those are called. I was trying to figure out the name of the photographer, and I was having a lot of trouble. I think it's Kim Anderson, by the way. But like during the interview, which was like video recorded too, I kept doing this search and all of the searches I was doing were for sure going to end up like getting me on one of the watch lists because I was typing in like cute romantic children like photos.
Speaker 2: White like oh no, on a date, like this guy's a freak. Yeah, there's definitely like a page of shit like that and kids doing adult stuff. Yeah, wait a second, it sounds like a guy.
Speaker 7: It sounds like like somebody on their first day of being a pedophile.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: They don't know what to search, Ye, they like it like how kids used to when you were a kid, and you would search likenked women, boob.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah whatever. Yeah. I don't want to be greedy, you know, I don't want to come off like a weirdo just boob. I like that.
Speaker 1: The kid in that scenario is also like an old prospector.
Speaker 7: Yeah, naked, but yeah, I'm looking for that's a pretty good one.
Speaker 2: You didn't even realize that there was like a sort of like a Getty's kind of Yeah, I didn't like an tourist theory. Name drop on the other photography babies, great name drop. Yeah, who's the one who did the Wye Mariners? You know you know what I'm talking about that. It's like it was, Oh, William Wegman. If you look up, there was like in the the guy would dress up wyriiners and like human clothing and they were like dogs. I was like, yeah, yeah, yes, Oh.
Speaker 1: My god, I not know what word you're.
Speaker 2: I know what you're talking about. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah the dog. I wonder if all of them I hate these photos. Yeah, I know they're just like I'm sorry, well dude, they're fucking They're just they're yeah, they're angering. I hope you googled that and that wasn't like a pull off the dome. I would be so impressed. But I knew, I just knew. I knew. I knew his name, but I always know it's the Wine Hiner photographer guy, because it's I'm impressed that, you know, the breed winem Reiner. It's because you know what, my dad's also a photographer, and he would always talk cash shit about these pictures. He's like, what the fuck is He's like, you're dressing up dogs? Either way, I wonder if these three link up, right, right, William like an Avengers of like or they just fucking hate each other, right, I'm thinking I hate each other?
Speaker 1: That would be a great like like.
Speaker 2: And Getty's is so pissed because like he got the big Hallmark deal in ninety four, right, and like like you believe they're making fucking porcelain figurines out of his dogs? Yeah.
Speaker 1: The winem Reinders seemed to be taken somewhat seriously. Is that am I? Like more seriously than the kids you know on the Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, yeah. Yeah. It was like it was like a thing like serious. People were like, oh, like I have the William Wegman book, Sure of a fucking Dog wearing a robe?
Speaker 1: Okay, and they all like look down on Lisa Frank because she's like.
Speaker 2: I've Lisa's a artist, Lisa's a goat and omar William Wegman see this is like I think this is emblematic of the nineties in a way that gets lost, like this is what shit was actually like in the late nineties and early two thousands. Is that when this was going down? Yeah, this is like I mean it was big, definitely, like he was working through like from the seventies on. But I feel like I'm reading Yeah.
Speaker 1: For more than forty years, artist William Wegman has been making portraits and videos of his own beloved wim Reinder dogs, which have appeared in countless public occasions and feature on Sesame Street and Satay Night Life.
Speaker 7: I think it's probably like late nineties, early aughts. But this type of ship people know, why do kay? But they don't know like this type of ship, Yeah, because this is what people are actually into, right.
Speaker 2: Why do they make you?
Speaker 1: Is it because they appear to have human bodies? They're Wina Rhein in their heads on human bodies? Is it just the stupid simplicity of it?
Speaker 2: Vibes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, vibes. I don't know, the vibes are atrocious.
Speaker 2: They're just I mean, like it's just like that was where the bar kind of was, you know, for It's like and then you know Williams work it sort of deals in what if Wymerhiners were the bourgeoisie? You know what can what can we parse through like the analysis of his work? You know what? You know what?
Speaker 7: Like the next version of this is is like there was a period where on every like bad micro brewery, there would be like a painting of like a gorilla in like a military uniform or a suit or something. Do you know what I'm talking about? Like hair wearing a suit and he had a mustache. It's the same ship. Yeah, evil, great art, evil just taking a different form.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what's that quote?
Speaker 1: But what if the animals were doing like people stuff?
Speaker 2: Is the question?
Speaker 1: So what this work of art presupposes is what if animals but people stuff?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, there's like one really great yeah work of I was just about.
Speaker 8: One.
Speaker 1: I'm a little avant garde. I like this painting where these dogs are playing poker.
Speaker 2: Well that's a classic.
Speaker 7: That is a classic America you I think I'm looking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this should be just a show of you telling like differentiating between like pop art that is bullshit and pop art that is classic that he's like Frank classic.
Speaker 7: I hope those other world listeners tuning in being like maybe he'll reveal secrets, and it's just they're meeting the real me for the first time, and it's a big disappointment. It's all about dogs playing poker. Yeah, okay, I gotta close that tab. What is something, Claire that you think is overrated texting?
Speaker 9: M What do you mean texting as the primary form of communication. I think it's overrated. I think often things get lost in translation with punctuation and capitalization. I think people need to stop expecting me personally to text them back right away.
Speaker 8: Yes, I find texting.
Speaker 2: You gotta let it marinate. You gotta let it marinate.
Speaker 9: You gotta let it marinate. It's not natural to communicate with each other this quickly in this fashion. It's not natural.
Speaker 2: I feel like I wish they took like us, like switched I message like AOL instant messenger, where you here like like a door open, You're like, oh, who signed on?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 2: What's that? What's up?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 2: You're on here? Help the door close? Well just later, just later. I feel like that was because that was the beginning of sort of like, hey, why aren't you talking to me? Because back then it's like yeah, because my ass is sat right in front of this fucking computer talking to you. Yeah, yeah, now with it in the hand. I'm like, we can't have that expert. I'm even terrible at responding right away most of the time, me too.
Speaker 9: An away message even just say i'll get back one of these. Hey, I'm sorry, but I'll get back to shortly. When what is that? Four hours or four days?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You break you people? Do you have people coming at you for not responding quickly? I'm guessing yeah, for what, like real stuff like please help me, I need it, I need a ride now to the doctor. I'm in big trouble.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna actually turned my phone off.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 9: I I well, I'm just generally a bad texture texture backer unless it is important. But if it's not important, and it's just like, hey, what.
Speaker 2: Are you doing next Sunday? Next?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 9: And you know, I understand like the feelings of you know, that sort of everyday rejection we go through when somebody doesn't answer right away and you're asking them out or asking them to do something. But I'm just like, wait, are.
Speaker 2: You saying if we call you on the phone, then I'm going to respond really Okay?
Speaker 1: Both of those things stress me out, but yeah, phone calls I feel like much less stressful than having a text that's just sitting there, you know, unresponded to.
Speaker 2: Well, then there's also like that stress like that you have, like when you see someone calling that you haven't talked to on the phone a long time. You're like, oh, what the fuck is going on? I'm like, we're normally texting area that means death. Yes, it's like did you die right now? Yeah? Oh you have my Deadwood DVD still okay? Yeah? Yeah yeah yeah yeah, bring yeah, just bring them over. You can leave them by the door. I'll be all right, thanks, oh thanks fucking god.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and you are saying thanks God because you really want to go. Yeah, don't know how to watch it on streaming. I still don't care about their health. You're just no, no, no, no.
Speaker 9: No, it's all about the Wood.
Speaker 1: Yeah. When there's like a group chat and like everybody's just like like there's just like text flying back and forth, I will frequently get too stressed out to respond.
Speaker 2: Oh I've seen that happen where I feel like we'll text about a game with Jabbari and like Jabari and I are going off on something and slowly I'm like Jack car respond this is these are firefucking texts right now, not even a tat back on anything. And then it's like seventy message if you're like, sorry, that was a lot to catch up on a lot to catch up right there. I get it.
Speaker 1: Always get a phone on you knows life does. Yeah, And it's not true that I don't keep my phone on me. I'm just sitting there trying to come up with something to text and just sweat pouring down, just being like, oh, it's too late. There are already four more.
Speaker 2: That's where AI would really help you, Jack, Yeah, Jack, find something witty to reply about this conversation about Kendrick Lamar.
Speaker 1: Please, everyone's just a I boughts texting with other AI bots. That's the dream, according to the founder of Bumble. Oh yeah right, I bought dates another AI bought and for you and each other. Woa. Yeah, that's the that's what they they're promising with this AI stuff. It sounds too good to be true. What is what is underrated?
Speaker 5: Underrated Sam the app that tells you what songs are playing? Okay, I use it daily and I have such bad taste in music and I don't even know if it's bad taste. I think I just don't have any I don't know how to find music. And for instance, whenever I literally I people fast forward, I hear through Mark Maren's intros and wtf. Famously I don't do that. I love them, but I in this show all fast forward.
Speaker 2: You don't listen to the interviews, right.
Speaker 5: No, no, I don't even I've never heard another voice on the podcast other than it is, except the Joel Edgerton interview. But he but I fast forward to the end of this so I can hear Miles's music recommendations or Justin when Justin does them, because truly I do know bit actually like I always add those songs because I just don't find music. Well, I used to do it when I was listening, like to music in my car, like on the radio or whatever, and make like a note of it. So I guess it's been like fifteen years I've been able.
Speaker 1: Where are you shazaming things? You just like go and buy a car with its windows down like that.
Speaker 5: Happened the other day. Really I did that. Yeah, they were stuck at a stoplight.
Speaker 2: And I roll down your window. What is this? What is this? What is this? It was this guy was this guy? It was.
Speaker 5: It was a convertible, so you know, the music was good. Yeah the other day I have to I have to be a little quiet, but like it was, it was, it was, yeah, through the wall. I could hear him blasting music in my house. So I held my phone up to the wall shazam and I shazammed a song his song through the wall, and it was like a song by Portugal the Man. I'm like, I fucking love this song. And I just started listening to a ton of their music. And then I went to a concert.
Speaker 2: Oh really, you see Portugal the Man lists of this show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they are shout out.
Speaker 5: Like I bought a hat. I have a Portugal the manhat. I listened to them all the time, literally because the zeitgeist oh amazing. As they should it should exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean, I I don't know why we're even mentioning that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like about the Empire weekend before we started. Obviously huge fans of this show.
Speaker 2: Art the Man should bring us on stage, like these two guys are real pieces of ship. Sometimes the po there's no reference to anything. Yeah, these books alright, all right, get out of here. The Grand Generation. What song was it? Do you know?
Speaker 10: What?
Speaker 2: Do you know what song it was?
Speaker 5: I wasn't paying attention. What were you playing?
Speaker 2: The man? Song was that? Did you shop? What kind of started?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 11: Was?
Speaker 2: Modern? Modern?
Speaker 5: That one that one I had heard of that was like the big one. It was called Modern Jesus. And then red, yellow, purple blue probably not the right colors waves all from that one album. I was like, really into it. And then I saw them in Philly whenever that was, and they were great.
Speaker 1: So yeah, us like all right, the tech industry as off the rails as they have steered our entire civilization over the past ten years, they have yours just that ship they and I am just reading this word for word from what Blake wrote in.
Speaker 5: The doc No no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: As much as they have fucked us with this AI.
Speaker 5: Bullshit that doesn't sound like me, they they've.
Speaker 1: Bought themselves, Like I think I'm giving them at least another four years just because of Sam Yeah, Shazam and the bird Shazam that I can't stop talking about is it's called Merlin, Merlin, Merlin. It's brought to you by I think Cornell University, and right, yeah, is that what they're called the Big Red.
Speaker 5: I know all the Ivy League teams.
Speaker 2: The Big Red.
Speaker 1: Anyways, it's a great app. Shazam is a great app. But you've got five more years the tech industry and then you need to do Yeah, you need enough another thing that just solves a basic human problem.
Speaker 2: What about this? We can we can give custom names to your farts.
Speaker 5: Another three months, another three months.
Speaker 2: That'll buy you about a week. Okay, I'm not gonna lie. That will buy you a little bit.
Speaker 1: But like they're really good, really great part names. Uh, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and hear what you think is overrated Blake, Okay, that's not all right.
Speaker 5: I'll be here.
Speaker 2: Tri City Dust Double.
Speaker 8: And we're back.
Speaker 2: And I mean, where do you start? Where?
Speaker 1: Where to start?
Speaker 12: With?
Speaker 2: Thenisphere? Where to start? I will say.
Speaker 1: My first question about the Hemisphere was why videos so long? All their videos seem to be at least three hours long?
Speaker 2: What the fuck?
Speaker 1: And that's the thing that like kept me. I wonder if it's a strategy like it kept me out, but like for the people who have a worm in their brain that is like desperate for more Manosphere content, like it just it's a very selective group that makes it I guess not that selective looking at some of the view counts, but for people with such little rigor to what they're actually saying, they sure say it a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I had to watch a lot of those very long videos.
Speaker 1: I've never been more impressed by, like the level of research and also more sorry for the person doing that and watching your.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, same like people who like monitor the alt right on the show. Yeah, you're like I know that because I'm like I'm in all these chat groups. Man, I'm in all these tim like, oh you poor motherfucker. I'm so sorry, but thank you, but thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean two time speed is a thing on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Hopefully it probably you really need to get the nuance, don't you of what these guys are saying. I feel like it's really you know, it's all very tonal and subtle and nope, no, it turns out it's not.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The thing that all that struck me first is like when I think about the Manisphere, like I knew all these figures like you know, Andrew Tate and Jordan Peterson and fresh and fit and like sneakle all these like weirdos who you know, are part of this this whole culture, but like I and I always knew that it was based on their misogynistic beliefs. But the thing that really came out on the video from is like how much quasi science pseudo science they use to sort of buttress their arguments, like in this way that it's not simply it's like dude, Like chicks don't even want to be like a dude anymore, like they have like no, there's this thing called hypergame man, and that, Like it's really interesting how they use these sort of academic inroads to then display, you know, to present their completely like regressive thinking. Like can you just sort of give just everyone an idea of like those main sort of pseudoscientific arguments that are laid out to sort of justify this misogyn worldview.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well yeah, a lot of it's rooted in evolutionary psychology, which is why my most recent video decided to delve into that a bit more. But yeah, their main ones, it's like, is hypergamy, where they sort of say that women are wired to want to date men that earn more than them, and there's like no way that that could be programmed out of them. It's just innate and feminism is just tricking them into thinking that they're not like that, but really they are like that, right yeah, Yeah, And then'll also talk about how rape culture is a myth and they'll use like cherry picked studies to try and improve that as well.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: And also they'll say that that even when it comes to domestic violence, they'll say that women are more violent towards men than men are towards women, and they'll use cherry picked studies to supposedly prove that. They'll also they'll say things like the terne of wage gap is a myth as well, and cherry pick certain studies to try and prove that as well.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, it's always striking how these like sort of these backwards ways of thinking. They're always they always find a way to be like that thing that is reality isn't actually not true, And here's this way to kind of intellectually get yourself out of this way of thinking or believing that what is happening is actually not happening and it's actually like a myth. And there's always this I'm always amazed at the just like the lack of well, I'm sure we'll get to it. Just like just how like it feels like a lot of these ideologies they prop up when the like sort of like the logic of their beliefs hit a dead end, like like like being a man was supposed to be enough, you know, and I'm just I just exist, but things aren't. I'm not. I'm not experiencing all these things I see on television or the things that I believed. I am so now, well, what is mean? Oh, it's that everything else is fucked up. There's nothing I need to do to change. Let me now, like, let me stay sort of fixed in my belief and then begin to explain why everything else is not the issue or everything else is the issue, rather than like how I'm interacting with the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it basically like whenever before I investigated the Manisphere, I investigated quite a few different like scams, like sort of property investment scams and multi level marketing schemes and stuff like that, and I found that it definitely worked in much the same way as many scams, in the way that it would sort of target people and it would reel in people who definitely felt a bit lost in life and just were looking for, you know, like something else to blame it on, and we're offering a way out of that via paying who was ever, whoever this influencer was, for a course or whatever. So yeah, the minister would definitely reel in men who sort of feel like they don't have a purpose in life. And I guess in the past, your purpose would have been more easily been like, oh, I'm a man, therefore my purpose is to provide for a woman and for children, Whereas it's not that easy anymore, just to have a purpose based on your gender. It's not that simple anymore. So I think a lot of men they do feel a bit lost in life. And it's not you know, because of their gender. It's probably because of like capitalism, but they want to but they're looking to the past and they're thinking, well, in the past, I would have had this purpose, you know, to be a man, and I would have been given a wife, you know, by someone, and that would have been me and that would have been my life. But now I don't know what to do, so it's everybody else's fault kind of.
Speaker 2: Thing, right. I preferred middle stage capitalism, Yeah, exactly, That's when things were great.
Speaker 1: Their version of the past is also a wildly inaccurate version of what that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they liked it. They like to say that women were happy in the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 1: They absolutely were were happy.
Speaker 3: They were all on drugs. Housewives were on drugs, right, yeah, lots.
Speaker 2: Of the time. Yeah, we were just talking recent but like, you know, the Stepford Wives being a commentary on that era of like just being so medicated that it was completely like not like dulling the senses of like a generation of women. But yeah, but now it's actually feminism that has created this unhappiness and now we're dealing with the fallout of that. Dude, Yeah, the feminist shit.
Speaker 1: In fact, the actual like details of the people that we meet in the video, like the fresh and Fit, Well I was not familiar. Is that the name of the show, the one where they just like get women drunk and then explain women to women?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they don't.
Speaker 3: They don't let them talk back, and if they do try and talk about they just kick them out of the podcast, supposedly beating them in the marketplace of ideas.
Speaker 1: Right, It's amazing, Like I've never seen someone like people be more infuriating to somebody else, like just try like the things that they're saying about women, like the most dismissive, diminishing things. And then if in the off chance, like one episode out of many, like the women can't take it anymore and get angry, then the men are like, oh, you're just sensitive while being the most thin skinned creatures, so emotional, get so emotional over anyone, just like talking back to them.
Speaker 2: It's it's so wild you put it out how like obviously you know people say this so much, especially in the US, like you just seen your feelings, just in your feelings now, and then when they get caught out, it's like, no, I'm having a fact response, having an emotional response, having a fact based response.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I forgot about that part. That was hilarious.
Speaker 2: The fact response is like, holy shit, man, the amount of mental gymnastics they got to do on that cognitive dissonance. It's it's it's wild. It's truly wild.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's why in my most recent video, I just dedicated a whole part of the video to facts versus feelings and how no one's only going off facts. Absolutely, no one is ever. Everybody has feelings and everybody's acting upon feelings and emotions. You can't escape them because if you if you did escape your emotions, then your brain wouldn't work. It would be just it would just short circuit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is such a fear of feelings, clearly from all of these men. Yeah what I mean, which is why there has to be an emphasis on fact rather than like, I'm actually having feelings of terrible inadequacy. Yeah, no, dude, the facts are it's fucking hypergamy, man, and fucking eighty percent of the win. There's only twenty percent of the women available to the other eighty percent of men that are out there, because they're all going for the top twenty percent. So that's like we're already like so the way they have to set all of this ship up, it's really it's really fucking I mean, it makes sense because right, we're so averse to picking apart our egos or things like that, or bringing any self awareness to that that this is such a convenient way to avoid any kind of introspection or self critique because those are actual, those are those things are actually by default like impossible within the manosphere. Like I don't see many people being like, man, you got to sit down, take an inventory of kind of what you're feeling, maybe how things from your past may relate to this. Now. It's always just like, no, let me externalize everything everything is happening outside of me, because I'm fine, but the world has gone fucking mad and now I just need to learn how to navigate that with my macho shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which which kind of goes against the whole right wing perspective of individualism in a way, doesn't it just like lame everything around you?
Speaker 2: Truly?
Speaker 1: Yeah, those are facts and they have nothing to do with my feelings. Okay, So I had ever heard of Fresh and Fit or like a lot of the people covered, I did know Jordan Peterson pretty well at their point. He's a friend, and I think you were unfriend. No, he like the degree to which he has crossed over is kind of staggering when you when you look at like what he's saying, and I mean hypergamy is that we're calling what he's calling out like where women are like these domesticated animals who just like can't help but like respond to these instincts that make them find you repulse. It's so weird, like the psychological shit they're all going through like so many of the videos. I think you said at one point, like come down to how ugly do women find me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're obsessed with like hierarchies. They really want to put them else on this hierarchy of how attractive they think they are to every woman, Like every woman is looking at a man and thinking, so, no, ten, they're not. They're they're extremely subjective in how they find a man, how attractive they find a man to be right, Whereas but they're looking at women and thinking five, six, an eight in turn or whatever, and they think that women are looking at men in the same way. They're absolutely not. Women all have different tastes and most men do as well, have all different tastes, but they think that everybody thinks that the way they do in this very sort of misogynistic way.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, it'sh haired chads and some women like dark haired chads, and that's it exactly.
Speaker 8: Those are the two tastes.
Speaker 1: That you need a jaw bone that looks like an upside down football helmet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the perfect mandibular angle is what all women are looking for us.
Speaker 1: But what do you like? Who would you say is the most kind of dangerous of these people who've who you've.
Speaker 3: Encountered the most dangerous person in the manisphere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the way, they are going to release a video after this saying with that I'm the most dangerous person in the.
Speaker 3: I would say probably Jordan Peterson because he's got the widest reach. He's got that whole PhD I know what I'm talking about thing going on. They all look up to him. Like when I made my Manusphet video, so many people in the comments were like, Jordan Peterson isn't a part of the manuscept he absolutely is. He's like the king of the Manisphere. So yeah, i'd probably say him just because he's got the most reach and.
Speaker 2: The most influence, and he's being embraced by political figures too. I think that's what also makes it especially dangerous. I mean, like, you know, Andrew Tate is obviously like a scumbag, and Violin has is like a danger to society, but like the level to which Jordan Peterson has sort of been you know, nodded to, or like his ideas end up kind of like bleeding into like right wing yeah, sort of poltical speech and things like that. Yeah, I definitely see that because it's again, it's that PhD that sort of takes it from Yeah, this isn't a guy wearing a fuzzy hat in a feather boa and giant sunglasses. This is a fucking PhD. Okay, they're saying the same thing, but the fact that the PhD is saying, I'm going to give that some more weight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Andrew Tait is also dangerous, but he's dangerous in a much different way. But like he he only really I think most of the guys sort of into Manisphere ideas kind of look at Andrew Tait and think he's a bit of an idiot. So I think his I think his reaches is a lot. It's a lot less widespread than Jordan Peterson's, and I think, like, especially since the whole trafficking allegations, I think he Yeah, he will say the opposite publicly, he will say that it's only improved his reach, but I think it has actually diminished his reach a little bit because there are there are actually some guys in the Manisphere who are like, you know, I wouldn't go so far as to traffic women actually, so maybe he's very great jokes.
Speaker 2: About it, but I will engage in the traffic. Yeah, that's a bridge too far. I will make people believe that I'm saying it not as a you know, winky way, but yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean he's not the only person who has like bragged about committing assaults and you know, sexual violence in in this world like that. That was kind of shocking to me how many of these guys are actually saying that they're doing horrifying things like in the videos like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's how you kind of see like the evolution of it starts off with a like keep your room clean if you want to attract a woman, and then turns into like why rape culture is vaporware, it's fake, it's nonsense, and it gets more and more you know, violent, and yeah, it's really what. The thing that really struck me too is is kind of like it's so weird how these Manisphere figures who are like selling a course or whatever talk about the benefits of this mindset, of this mindset because all of their materials they use to sell these courses read like this fucking bizarro utopia in some nineties movie about being the coolest guy ever, and you putting this out in your video about the seduction devil and his course and like what he's prompt like, this is what he's promising people. Okay, And I thought this was really eye opening from your video it and this is from a Manisphere course. It's like ninety seven bucks or some shit, And it says in just one week across the court, it wasn't in seven In just one week after getting inside, you'll find yourself quote skipping the line at bars and clubs, high fiving the bouncers and befriending the staff, okay, attracting minds and tens effortlessly without saying oh word, holy shit, Entering a cafe with your new girl, receiving a warm welcome, and discovering that your regular has already been prepared.
Speaker 1: Wow, oh my god, hey.
Speaker 2: Jack, the regular, all right, I already had it here for you. Whoa baller who's had another one on your arm?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 6: My man?
Speaker 1: Hey, hi five.
Speaker 2: This fucking world doesn't even exist, not even for people who they would even think are that cool. But it's it's interesting to see how this like whatever, their lack of meaningful social interactions or what they believe they want to be, has created this like version of what they think is truly like what like is what they're just sort of telling on themselves. It's like, wait, so your fantasy is to walk into a cafe with your new girl and someone's like your regular, your ice, your milk with ice is ready? Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Out of have I drink half and half with some little bit of ice on the rocks?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It did kind of remind me of like how the crypto scams work in a way. I don't know if you remember from my crypto video, the whole Crypto land where they were like, oh you could, you could move to this special island where everybody just trades with cryptocurrency and and we we have communal working spaces and everybody's going to have a lambow, and for the whole thing was just so it was just, yeah, an absolute fantasy based on crypto. It's not realistic at all.
Speaker 1: But it's so depressing that their vision of utopia is being beloved by service employees like that they like walk in and like everyone at Starbucks.
Speaker 8: Is like yay.
Speaker 1: Like it's just such an interesting like snapshot of like just dead list end stage capitalism where they're like and then I'm gonna walk in and instead of treating me like I'm just there to spend money. They're gonna really love me and they're the bouncer is gonna be like rules don't apply to you because.
Speaker 2: They no smoking in here. Oh wait, it's you, amen, spark up, dude, You're the best. It's like, what were you not hearing enough in your life that created this version. But again, I think it says a lot because a lot of people they are lacking this, so they do just like, oh my god, I would love nothing more than to passively attract a partner without having to do any work or any effort, or to have the fear of failure of being rejected. I'd rather just feel like a human. Yeah, yeah, exactly. I'm such a fucking baller that my my aura is enough to bring all the boys or women or whoever, non bind your people to the yard. But I feel for this it's mostly had dudes looking for women. But like, you know, we talk a lot, a lot about deaths of despair, you know, and how they're rising, especially here in the United States, and it's clear that like America in this late stage capitalism era we're in is like unraveling, and there's like a cruel irony that like all of this manisphere shit is like almost like this, it's like a capitalist response to the chaos that has been sown by capitalism. It's like, rather than in investigating any of that, it's like, let me sell you something that is absolute nonsense that will actually send you into a darker hole. Like, you know, if these people were interested in making things better, there would certainly be some more again introspection analysis of like the forces that are shaping the world in which they live. But it's like, the problem isn't capitalism. It's that women are superficial and demanding too much. It's not capitalism, it's immigrants. How do you sort of see the relationship between the manisphere and an unwillingness to like engage in anything that is like, what's a solution here? It's because there's really no solution. It's more like the world's fucked up. This is how you be more fucked up to the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I don't I honestly like, I don't know what the solution is other than trying to sort of give men a different sort of outlet, because there definitely is like a problem. I think specifically since the pandemic. I think everyone, like not just men, are feeling a lot more lonely right and they've been looking online for solutions to that, and specifically with the manisphere. This sort of gateway drug is when you look up videos on how to talk to women to try and you know, pick them up or whatever they get, and like when you click on one of them, I mean that the algorithm will just take you further and further and further into the manisphere and until you eventually believe that women aren't actually sentient beings at all, they're just sort of programmed a certain way. And you'll get to the pick up artists who will like literally give you a flow chart and they'll say like it's like a dialogue tree that you can have with a woman, and they'll be like, if you say this this and this and this, then you'll definitely get her in bed kind of thing. And it's selling a very sort of simple, simple solution to this very complex problem of loneliness, which I think is a genuine problem. And I think that's exacerbated by dating apps because everybody relies on dating apps nowadays. And I do sympathize with men on dating apps because men have a much worse time on dating apps than women do, although women also do have a bad time, and that's why they're that's why they're leaving the apps, which which leaves more men on the apps than women, and that's why men will swipe right more on every women that they see and women will swipe left more because they're expecting. Women are expecting a match with anyone that they swipe right on right, so that will make that will cause women to be more picky, and men are increasingly not expecting a match with whoever they swipe right on, so that will cause them to be less picky. And that just happens more and more and more, and this feedback loop just happens even more increasingly all the time, until you get like a guy with barely any matches and a woman with too many matches and she doesn't know who to go on a date with, so like both genders are having a really awful time. But but the mistake that the Manisphere makes, and the sort of that's the excuse that they use to bring a lot of people in is to say that this is like real life now because of feminism. But they've got no they've got no proof of that other than dating apps. But dating apps work that way for a reason because it's not real life because women have all left. But women haven't left real life. Women still go into like bars and things, and you can still like women are still in trusted in making friend groups and so amen, and I think we need to sort of try and get back to that sort of real life thing of mingling in friend groups and you know, making friendships that might turn into something else based on that, whereas I think nowadays we sort of rely on dating apps so much that a lot of men in the manosphere just like think that that's real life and that's.
Speaker 2: Right based on the behaviors that they see or how yeah things are being sorted. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: A lot of it seems to be inter human relations that are mediated by capitalists, you know, yeah, the dating app profiles or the person who fantasizes about everybody in the bar who works at the bar liking them, and it just feels like everyone's turned into our product, Like this is all part of this weird thing where we're trying to apply the rules of capitalism, like late stage hyper capitalism to interactions and then we're like what happened?
Speaker 2: Why is everybody?
Speaker 8: So?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like it's the same way that we ruined sort of like restaurants with all of these food delivery apps, and it's the same way that we ruined all of these taxi companies with uber is because they tried to like lays a fair capitalism all of these all of these companies and all of these industries and they tried to completely libertarianize them all. And they've done the same with dating as well. And they've and then they've sort of realized that, oh, this is this isn't actually good for people? Is it?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Doing it like this?
Speaker 1: Let's take one more break and we'll come back and finish out talking about this.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: And we're back.
Speaker 2: We're we're back, all right.
Speaker 13: There is this article in what was it in, I don't know, Apple News, so it's one of the order, probably a Hollywood reporter, one of those places that makes you subscribe or you can get it through Apple News, but.
Speaker 1: The headline is Hollywood Nightmare. New streaming service lets viewers create their own shows using AI, and the promise is the generative artificial intelligence, the auto complete thing that chat GPT does is coming for streaming with the release of a platform dedicated to AI content that allows users to create episodes with a prompt of just a couple of words.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, what would those words be?
Speaker 1: That you think you would get a good show out.
Speaker 9: Of step Mom bubs?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like that makes sense to me if you're telling.
Speaker 9: What's gonna happen?
Speaker 1: And sure like that if you told me that, I'd be like, I bet that would be pretty popular. But like creating long form entertainment that like competes with Netflix just likes, I don't, like, I don't even know how they think that's going to work. And like what So I read the article and the example. I was like, do they have like an example that we can look at?
Speaker 8: And they have this south Park deep fake that is so it's just a South Park episode without jokes and where the characters instead of like doing anything, just like kind of stand in a hallway and say lines toward the camera.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But it's and like they sound like all the South Park characters sound like tech bros. Like the questions are like they're they don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, all the voices are just like it all sounds like yeah, just but like even the nuances between the characters. They talk like tech bros in this thing, right, It's like you literally pick, like who's the hero of the episode, which characters do you want in the episode? And then what's your prompt? This one says Cartman heard of the screen actors guild strike and blah blah blah blah blah. So this is what the shit sounds like.
Speaker 3: That's ridiculous, Cartman.
Speaker 14: Is it ridiculous or is it so ridiculous that it just might work? No, it's definitely just ridiculous. Well, then I guess you guys won't want to cut the profits. When Queepy takes off more for me, then there won't be any profits. Krtman, you're going to get sued, not if they can't prove it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a deep fake streaming empire to build.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh huh so, and then cut to next scene where they're just delivering lines like I'm just repeating the same premise over and over again. And then they like they've seen episodes of South Park before, so they're like and then Tom Cruise makes a cameo, but like he doesn't do like there's no content, there's like no ideas in it, there's no jokes in it. It's just like wait form inform a South Park episode?
Speaker 9: Are they taking so you can write your own quote unquote write your own shows? But it's is it all through existing ip It's not even like they generate new characters that look like you or anything like that.
Speaker 2: I think this is just like a demonstration of just like demontration. Yeah how but I think the far out version, the far out version will be like I want to see a like Steve McQueen esque movie where my uncle is the getaway drive, you know, like that kind of shit. I think is what they they're trying to say is the fucking future. But I think again, the only ship that this stuff is good for is like playing around, not like real creative shit. So I think porn is probably the thing that would get the most use out of it because in a way, like it's you're trying to externalize your fantasies in some way people don't know how to.
Speaker 1: Everyone knows a storm like just very functional, right, It's not like you're trying to have the subtlety of like art with commentary or anything like that, you know, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean again, Like I think hopefully, if anything, this helps people understand like, man, I don't know how to fucking make anything, dude, Like I tried to make a cool show with the fucking AI, and I like, man, fucking I'm back.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 9: If everyone realizes they're out of their league, they they keep graphic designing or whatever.
Speaker 1: Right, I recommend everybody. Why well, we'll link off to the south Park episode. It's worth like forcing yourself through five minutes of it just to like get a sense of because I feel like it really illustrates the people who are doing this and like what they think is cool and just how depressing and like bereft of any soul. Like it is like not that South Park is like this soulful thing, but it's just it really is wild. Like it's hard. It's hard to describe, but it will make you want to do a hard reset with.
Speaker 2: A they're a gun, They're a gun on your temple? Yeah, really get it out the.
Speaker 1: Uh So you're never gonna guess which actor does not seem to appreciate the limits of AI. That's right, it is Ashton Kutcher. He recently made headlines after sitting down with Google CEO Eric Schmidt and extolling the virtues of AI. He specifically heaped praise on generative text to video AI tools such as open Ai Sora, which we we've talked about Sora before. It's the one that like creates weird, trippy, very creepy video clips, like it's getting better.
Speaker 2: See the new one the guy was eating Ramen and loot. Yeah, yeah, yeah, hell yeah. They got the noodles down.
Speaker 1: And it did that by ingesting like all of YouTube illegally, Like they just took everything off YouTube and like put it into this you know, generative engine.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, if you asked the chief technical officer of so they asked. Someone did ask the CTO of this company, and she was like, huh, you know, I don't actually know. It's amazing because like this journalist from the Wall Street Journal like made a prompt like a mermaid thing with a crab in it, but the crab literally had a mustache like on SpongeBob. And she's like, hmm, I feel like this isn't wholly original because I've seen a depiction of a crab like this elsewhere. So that's what got her to ask the question, Claire, They're coming for your paycheck, you know, at least by residuals. Yeah, well here she is defending you know what, don't worry because it's not I don't know if we did. Maybe we did. I don't know what.
Speaker 4: Data was used to train SOA.
Speaker 10: We used publicly available data and licensed data.
Speaker 4: So videos on YouTube, look at that face, Just videos from Facebook, Instagram, you.
Speaker 10: Know, if they were publicly available available, publicly available to s, there might be the data. But I'm not sure. I'm not confident about it.
Speaker 4: What about Shutterstock? I know you guys have a deal with them.
Speaker 10: I'm just not going to go into the details of the data that was that was used. But it was publicly available or licensed data?
Speaker 2: Yeah, why the fuck am I on trial right now? Well? Was it?
Speaker 12: That's the most why do they get the most basic question about an AI think is like there's an input and then an output, and they're like, why are you asking me about the input?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're the CTO And you're like, ah, so, well, don't you said videos on YouTube? And her mouth literally.
Speaker 6: Went yeah, you got in a fucking four game.
Speaker 2: Damn, what are you doing? And then to end that with you know, I'm actually not going to talk about this wo stellar defense. You know what, I actually didn't even think about that.
Speaker 1: Huh, where does the video come from? I just paid attention to like what came out of it. But yeah, you're right, there must be something going in. It's like you're the chief technical officer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they need a better they need better liars in here. Like it's so weird that she thought, just say you didn't do it.
Speaker 9: Bring back bring back the Sarahnos lady, right, are you not a powerful millionaire?
Speaker 1: Just lie and say you didn't do it.
Speaker 2: Don't you know how these grifts go. You gotta lie all the way to the end until people going damn, all that shit was a lie. But I guess, I mean, maybe they are making it easier for us to be a little more discerning, because when you do interviews like this, it just makes them look so fucking bad.
Speaker 1: So Ashton Kutcher was like, it's gonna it's gonna make footage you could ease, you'll easily use in a major motion picture, a television show, like specifically, I think he was referencing like establishing shots like outside. He's like, we're not gonna need people to actually we're not gonna need artists to need that shit unit. I'm just gonna invent things and that does seem like a thing that it could do, actually, and that sucks. That's fucking terrible. And instead of that being terrible, he's like, no, this is the future. What you better get on board. But people are also pointing out also, I like this Lene. Someone was like, yeah, I think that Sara might be able to make an Ashton Kutcher movie, but not like a necessarily a Sean O'Connor. Yeah, And then so he defended himself on Twitter saying, Hollywood ignoring this is just gonna like be catastrophic for everybody. It's like, no, what the fuck are people who like righte Like, what are the creatives, like the ninety eight percent of the people in Hollywood, what the fuck are they supposed to do with this? You know, this is just a thing that matters to the like executive who are trying to like cut the bottom line, like the people that he hangs out with, Like what is the DP who like does the establishing shots for a film, Like, what the fuck is he supposed to do with this information?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 1: Like, and you've been replaced by a fucking AI software.
Speaker 2: You should up your game. So a director wants you to be the main director of photography and that's you're not stuck.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Earlier this spear.
Speaker 2: Ship where they're like, if they ignored it's going to be catastrophic. Like is that a threat? They're like, because you know once AI comes then they're gonna get mad at you for ignoring it, or that it's gonna somehow revolution. I like, I get that they're trying to say it's a tool, but then when they also say shit like you know jobs are going to change, we need to be prepared, and you're not following that up with something actually radical about the nature of work, then shut the fuck up about this. Well.
Speaker 1: So the thing that I think the bait and switch they're trying to pull off the executive class here is there you using somebody who is like nominally an actor, who is actually like a media executive. He has a venture capital firm, cool Sounder.
Speaker 2: Centures, your sound Ventures.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was able to start it in twenty fifteen when with nothing more than his beautiful face, his business talents, and one hundred million dollars from Liberty Media.
Speaker 2: Oh which, oh, oh, Libertal Group at all yeah.
Speaker 1: So he's like a media investor, and that's where this is coming from. He's just trying to do the work of being like, guys, this is nothing to fear. This is the future, and it's gonna make sick shit.
Speaker 2: Dude, Like you don't you don't have you don't even have the discerning abilities to know that Danny Masterson was a piece of shit. For how the fuck am I supposed to be? Like, yeah, dude, what about this technology stuff, Pashton, Because like you said that Sound Ventures has like a two hundred and forty million dollar AI fund, so there's so they're so deep in on this shit. And this is the thing, man, every time Kutcher starts opening his mouth about technology, you have to presume it's a grift because he was doing this with Crypto too, Like this isn't this is like his new thing, like he likes to be like, oh man, these NFTs are fucking sick. Man. They're gonna make this new show called Stoner Cats or like doing funny videos with like the creator of like Ethereum and trying to make.
Speaker 15: Like yeah, dude, we're just like out here just like trying to figure out what this stuff is and he he made a donation to Ellen like a charity that she was running, like but as a crypto donation to bring more eyeballs onto it.
Speaker 2: So everything he does is about propping up his own investments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's yeah, I mean he's like all these a lot of these famous people like get rich and famous, and then the people they hang out with are other like media executives and like other millionaires, and so they're just going to think all this shit is cool and like think thought that like those people are putting in their heads.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean this is this. This is the thing that keeps going is like you know, the New York Times is embroiled in a lawsuit because they're like, I'm pretty sure you're probably skimming our articles to train some of this ship. And yeah, many industries are like no, like you keep saying you're skimming the internet like to train these things. So how the fuck could it not you You're you're constantly going like, oh, not that that's copyright and like the way that even that CTO was like I believe it's publicly available, Like what do you mean that you can just access it? Or they're saying that the licensing. It's it's available for any kind of use to the public, and it was available.
Speaker 1: To me, and that I just like went in and fucking hacked that ship.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I used YouTube downloader and you got it off, not me.
Speaker 9: I can't. I can't pay the pass the paywall. I only get the first four cents of article. I don't really know what you guys are talking. I get always tant to get the gist. Yeah, I wonder what will happen when this comes back to bite Ashton in the in his sweet little ass and there's a video that comes out of him, like fucking a pig's head or something, right, AI generated Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: And then issue and AI generated half hearted apology video in front of the wooden wall. Yeah, with a wrinkley T shirt, looking like he hasn't slept in a while.
Speaker 9: I guess it's forever the circle.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you think before that apology video they had like a make up like a person come in and like make them look disheveled.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: I think they're both actors enough that they I think they're have enough savvy. Yeah, because they had like these like poor poor us faces on.
Speaker 1: They look like smelled bad, you know, because you're sot.
Speaker 2: I mean that is a good point. Yeah, I mean like in a way I could smell the stress sweat. Yeah, through the computer screen for that feel like I feel like they have their hair and makeup person come through and be like, but like this time, like make us look like shit, like make it like make us down.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Then I would say, I would say, you don't need me. If you want to look like shit, I would say, don't put any makeup.
Speaker 9: It's that no makeup, makeup. Look, yeah, I'm doing it.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They're like hydrated.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh that's good.
Speaker 8: That's good.
Speaker 2: Dehydrated.
Speaker 1: I mean I'm not gonna get dehydrated because that could totally fuck up pH levels.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But actually that reminds you. I need to drink a gallon of alkaline water right now. Yeah, you bring it over, bring it over, bring it over now. And I'm fucking freaking out. I'm freaking out.
Speaker 1: Not always the best stories you hear behind the scenes about the ash Man, But that's all. That's all I say about that. The Tribeca Film Festival also getting in on the whole thing with some Sora shorts, which are short films created by chat GPT's like video thing.
Speaker 2: What a fucking slap in the face to people who actually want to filmmaker, Like really, yeah, so they're they're gonna celebrate people who just typed a fucking prompt into it and being like, and that's an art form two miles. Okay, no, it is fucking not. But yeah, oh.
Speaker 1: They're all created by Sam Altman and he is a genius, I swear to god, but yeah. People were also pointing out similarly, like it it really always feels like you can just trace this bullshit back up to somebody who has hundreds of millions of dollars invested in this shit. In this case, Tribeca Film Festival is owned by Tribeca Enterprises, which is owned by Lupa Systems, the company run by Rupert Murdoch's son James, and Lupas Systems has multiple investments in AI companies, including one that produces generative music, which is my favorite genre of music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, generative, Yeah, because it will generate a fucking headache and crisis as you listen to it. Yeah, but yeah, I get yeah, everything, Like that's what's they make it so easy though, Like with these grifts, like you just have to do a little bit of digging, and you're like, what celebrity, where's their money? Who?
Speaker 1: With so much information that I feel like people who don't listen to this show. Yeah, and there are people like that still out there, folks. So talk to your friends and family. But you know, like I don't know, if I was just reading headlines, I'd be like, man, it seems like Hollywood's warming up to AI, you know what I mean. Like it's just easy when when the mainstream media is like kind of in on the grift in this case, like with Crypto, they were at least like somewhat skeptical, but in this case it feels like the corporate.
Speaker 2: Overlords just have it so that they're like, hey, I wave at the future, right, Yeah, And then they have like the stupid human trick of like chet GPT seeming to be alive by doing auto complete really well, and so that's enough to like get the momentum they need. But just keep it to tricks, man, Just keep it to fun party tricks. Stop saying it'll do that's all else.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you think it's fun party trick, well you're gonna be a fun party trick of history. Because this is the future of Hollywood.
Speaker 2: I mean, we already know it's happened on podcast too, Like it's not people are like, you know.
Speaker 1: That joke very well was written by AI's.
Speaker 9: Wait I wrote that.
Speaker 2: Special party trick of history.
Speaker 9: Are they doing that and podcasts ship?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's there's a lot of like like the like trying to build voice models and things like that to be able to like automate stuff down the road, you know, Like and.
Speaker 1: It's one that I've been doing it for a while that's like a comedy podcast that's they claim as all AI, but it's actually made by two comedians and it seems like the comedians are actually writing it.
Speaker 9: That's kind of funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is that one? Will Sasso is involved?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Will Sasso is involved in it, and like it just seems like it's a bit. But there have been others that are like actually a I generated and I don't I haven't seen them catch on yet, shockingly.
Speaker 2: No, because you can even like do you even see the AI videos that they have, like the AI voices. You see a lot more on like uh social posts like or like TikTok ads or things like that, like because they're they're basically cutting out like cheap voiceover actors by just having AI voice, like the voice to text. Yeah, yeah, it's so wanked, like it does like these things that are you know, ads a few positives or things like that, but it's still to the human ear. You're like, is this person like like take a bunch of valume and then a bunch of oppers or something, and they're like they're completely crosswired here. It's very odd to listen to.
Speaker 9: But again, my hot take is that something worse than AI generated content like that are what have you ever seen an ad on Instagram where it's like a fake two people talking about a product on a fake podcast. Oh seemingly like oh this person who created this product happened to be on a podcast talking about it and they filmed it. But it's clearly just for Instagram. Yeah, Like that's because that's a popular clip that looks like style. Yeah, interesting podcast.
Speaker 2: There's so many quote unquote podcasts that are also just like that, where like we just need to make like a two minute video in here, but let's just put MIC's in front of us with like a flat screen TV with a graphic and then crazy they're really talking about on that podcast.
Speaker 9: Or that Rocket Money ad. Have you seen those Rocket Money ads where they're they're fake like stand up Peckler clips where there's a stand up talking about like yeah, and you know when you have all these subscriptions and it's just crazy, right, and someone in the audience goes Rocket Money and then the comic goes, oh, oh, that's exactly right, rocket and like it's shot like a stand up clip. It's really freaky. They do it with like three different fake comedians.
Speaker 1: That's wild.
Speaker 9: I can't believe you haven't seen this yet. I don't got to see it.
Speaker 2: That's a good that's usually on Instagram.
Speaker 9: Maybe it's on my my algorithm specifically, but yeah, if you're heavy in the stand up clips, that's what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Love crowd work, dude, there's someone so cool about all these crowd work clips. I think that's the future comedy. Just someone's talking to a bunch of people they don't know, not even doing material, and.
Speaker 1: The thing they're saying that they're brilliant observision is just how good a product is?
Speaker 2: I love that? Oh yeah, I love that app. We're all talking about it backstage.
Speaker 9: This coca cola tastes good and there's no calories.
Speaker 1: And that's what I like about the crowd work is just the exchange of ideas about how what apps are cool?
Speaker 9: Wow, unbelievable.
Speaker 1: All right, that's gonna do it for this week's weekly Zeitgeist. Please like and review the show. If you like, the show means the world demiles. He needs your validation, folks. I hope you're having a great weekend and I will talk to you Monday.
Speaker 16: Bye. Dream Doctor actor A confront