Speaker 1: Also media, we could happen. So wow, Okay, we're just both doing the intro, all right.
Speaker 2: I wanted to be the intro. I was saying that wokness has won the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Ah because yeah, okay, okay, hold on, this is my this is this is my moment. I've got the soapbox. This is it could happen here. Everyone has the Taylor Swift conspiracy wrong. Taylor Swift is completely uninvolved in the NFL's conspiracy to make sure Patrick Mahomes wins every fucking game. All of these fucking all these fucking bogged chuns or fucking Johnny come Late doesn't care about football fans. Real fans know that if you look at every fourth quarter of every fucking Chiefs game before Taylor Shift got involved, it looks exactly the same. All right, this is been It could happen here. We may or may not cut that.
Speaker 2: I can't believe that the liberal Taylor Swift, Joe Joe Biden's puppet Taylor Swift and Travis Peiser Kelsey stole the Super Bowl from the Christian people of San Francisco, the only bashtate of conservatism left in this country.
Speaker 1: It is so incredibly funny, Like, okay, so it's so credibly funny to me A that they're not mad at Patrick Mahomes and b that somehow, okay the Chiefs, like, imagine you're a Chiefs fan, right, you have been for like thirty years racist, you have been doing its called and I quote the tomahawk chop, like you are the most racist person in your entire small town. And then all of these fucking dip shits online, all these fucking right wing dipshits immediately like all of you guys are like fucking pussy woke libs. And it's just like, like, imagine being that racist for that long only to be immediately tossed aside.
Speaker 2: It is kind of baffling that, in like the country's national divorce overwokeness, somehow the liberals get to keep football like this that is that's so busy? Are that that now football is seen as like a liberal cuck thing to enjoy among the largest swaths of of Republicans, at least at least online Republicans.
Speaker 1: It's really funny, fascinating this this is how we're going to beat them in the fucking civil war, because we're going to take the college campuses, which means that we're going to have the only watchable footballs. These bastards are going to be reduced to watching fucking high school games.
Speaker 2: Like speaking speaking of watching football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the thing this episode is actually about is if you watch the Super Bowl or like, God help you, you've tried to use YouTube without an AD blocker, a thing I do not recommend at all. You have seen ads for Temu. W it's Timu or Temu Temu temo. Okay, yeah, it has the absolute, the absolute Oh good god, yeah, this this app this one. This one's bad, folks, This one's I I went insane and have been spiraling for like two weeks now writing this, so you know. So it has the absolutely dogshit tagline shop like a Billionaire.
Speaker 2: Wait that's its tagline. Yeah, Oh that's weird.
Speaker 1: It's funny. The everything is they only have one ad, righty, it's not just super Bowl like it's It's been on YouTube for like ages. But yeah, so this begs the obvious question, what on earth is this thing? And the answer is that Temu is the American version of a Chinese shopping gap called Pindadu. You will hear people pronouncing it pin Duo duo. That's because they're hacks and frauds. So but I'm just gonna call it so. The the company, the parent company for both Temu and Pinda Doua, changed their name to PDD, so I'm just gonna call it that.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, PDD is China's worst tech giant. They have worked multiple of their employees to death. They probably also use slave labor. Those are unrelated stories. So today, welcome to the abyss. This is the story of Tamu. I have stared into it, and now you motherfuckers are coming with me and staring into it some more.
Speaker 2: Well, it's more like we're listening into it because it doesn't really.
Speaker 1: Have a visual No, no, you're staring into it. Okay, you will get visuals. I will say to this bullshit.
Speaker 3: I will.
Speaker 2: I will start hallucinating in my office.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, Timoo is the American version of PDD. PDD it roughly translates to together more savings.
Speaker 2: Together, so it's like a co op.
Speaker 1: Actually, it probably sells stuff from co ops.
Speaker 2: Okay, huh.
Speaker 1: So PDD is the second largest shopping app in China behind Ali Baba. Ali Baba is is like version of Amazon. Basically, they're the second largest app. Ali Baba reportedly has eight hundred and sixty sixty three million users per year.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of users.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's multiple us is. PDD has been claiming that they have seven hundred and forty million monthly users. It's unclear if that's exactly true, but it's probably around there, which again, that is twice the entire population of the US. So this is a fucking unbelievably massive company. And to understand what this what this company is, and how it became probably the worst of the Chinese tech giants, we have to go back to the very beginning. And the very beginning is this guy named Colin Huang. Huang is a weird guy. I don't know, he's he's he's he's the Chinese version of the American tech bro. So he's you know, he's he's a recognizable like asshole who started a giant company, but he's not zactly the same. So he he So he graduates from like college and China and in the early two thousands he goes to the University of Wisconsin to get a master's degree in computer science, which it like it should be illegal for anyone to get degrees in computer science. Uh, terrible stuff, zero out of time. I should know how to use computers.
Speaker 2: I can't believe you'd be believe in the status legal system to prevent people from learning fin social sanctions.
Speaker 1: We're going to make it morally illegal. We're going to get chased out by people with the rocks on the street if you try to type something, get do a computer. So okay. So he's at the University of Wisconsin, and while he's there, he basically like posts his way into becoming the pro basically the protege of Chinese tech billionaire Duan Youngping. This is an interesting relationship. Duan is like a very very influential Chinese tech tech billionaire. He gets every single article calls him the Warren Buffett of China. I don't fucking know, but like, you know, for like foreacta, like how big this guy is. Like Vivo and like the one plus company of the mixed phones those are both like spin offs of like things that he built. But yeah, so you know, so this is this is an interesting relationship for Huang because and it's also interesting because like the narrative around Huang and PDDs that they're like these like hungry upstarts like clunging their way up from nothing, and they can like go after Ali Baba and the Chinese like tech market wars because they're like they're ferocious, they have like nothing to lose. I'm like they're rich and fat Alibaba and like nah, Like this guy has had the backing of like a bunch of really powerful Chinese tech guys, like from the absolute beginning. Another part of like the Huang lore is that Duan like took him to this really famous dinner where Warren Buffett was offering if if you donated like six hundred and twenty thousand dollars to charity, he would like eat dinner with you and like talk with you about like finance stuff. And so Dwan like buys this thing to go to dinner with Warren Buffett and brings Huang with him, and he Huang who's who's Huang's the founder of PDD Again, so he gives him credit for like this this like financial wisdom that he got here. Here's just from an interview with Side Jim. This is a Chinese outlet. What Buffett said is actually very simple and can be understood by my mother. Perhaps what this meal meant most to me was that I realized the power of simplicity and common sense. Human thoughts are easily polluted. When you make a judgment on something, you need to understand the backgrounds and facts after understanding it. What you need is not wisdom, but whether you have the courage to use reason when facing facts, use common sense to judge. Common Sense is obvious and easy to understand, but our various biases and personal interests form due to growth and learning blind us. So this is like entrepreneurial bullshit. But you know this is apparently this is like a big formative like things like ah, he like got the wisdom of word Buffett and he listened to it. It's just like what. There's the thing I think is more interesting is that he talks about what in the same interview what Dwan taught him. Swan also taught me a common sense thing. In business, price fluctuates around value. The price will definitely fluctuate, but as long as your value increases, the final price will be close to the value. This common sense allows you to focus on increasing the intrinsic value of the company and not be overly concerned about price fluctuations in the capital market. And this, to me is fascinating because the first half of that is like orthodox Marxist price theory, like in like in Marxist price theory. Right, The whole thing about it is that price is determined by value. The value of a commodity is determined by like the number of the amount of labor hour is socially necessary to produce it, and eventually, like price sort of like fluctuate, the price can change. It's not price isn't like identical to like socially necessarily like labor time, but it like fluctuates around it. And so that's like the first part of it, which is the Marxist thing, except this is like China, like modern like twenty twenties China. So Marx's value theory has been degraded to like make your company valuable and don't worry about stock prices and market fluctuations. It will work out in the end.
Speaker 2: So true, so true based based.
Speaker 1: I mean, the funny thing is this is actually better, like you get the advice than like most of the shit that like American CEOs use. But it's also, oh god, what has happened to my poor value theory, my beloved, my beloved theory of how capitalism works has been turned into this weird tech bullshit tragedy. So meanwhile, back in two thousand and four, Duan convinces Hwang to turn down a bunch of these jobs. So he's he's like a computer science graduate, right, and he's being headhunted by like a bunch of the sort of like mainstream tech companies at the time, like Oracle, Microsoft, and they're giving they want to give him like an enormous amount of money, but his mentors like, no, no, no, don't take this tech job. Take the Silicon Valley tech job. Joined Google. And so he joins Google, and this is this is another like very famous thing. It's like, ah, he wanted to join the like up and coming, hungry tech startup. But here's the thing. So Google. He joins Google in two thousand and four, which is kind of early, but Google also goes public that year, so you know, this is up working really well for him because he gets a bunch of stock options that those stock options are worth millions of dollars. That's a lot of Also some of the startup capital for like the later companies he founds comes from that, and Huang really quickly like works his way up the ranks. But he so he gets put in charge of like launching Google in China, and this is a fiasco, does not work at all. Huong blames like too much oversight from people at the senior leadership at Google, which I can get, but I mean it just doesn't work at all. Like he starts as at two thousand and six, by twenty ten, Google has pulled out of trying to entirely like they're not they're not trying to push the fucking search edge because nobody uses it. So okay, Having having like unbelievably bombed out of his first tech job, he he does the like entrepreneur thing. He starts like a couple of these like shopping like online shopping companies. They do like fine, and he sells them, but they don't like do incredible and so okay. So this is the part that a lot of the accounts of him leave out, like the sort of like fawning accounts leave out. Is the next thing that he does, which is he sets up this like really shitty game studio and they make like a bunch of like absolutely unbelievably weird and horny mobile games. So they make like Mafia City, Joy Spade, Texas, Hold'm Poker. They have this game called Girl ex Battle that is like you you assemble a harem of girlfriends and then have them fight other people stuff Like absolutely.
Speaker 2: Have you played any of these?
Speaker 1: Oh no, absolutely not, I refuse. I think I've actually seen Mafia City ads before, but it's like, like it's the absolute most dog shit like bargain basement. I guess they're kind of pre gotcha games.
Speaker 2: I was just wondering how far your dedication to research went here, but.
Speaker 1: Not far enough. Look here's the thing. My dedication of research went exactly far enough that I refuse to install any of these apps for reasons that we'll get into next episode. I was like, absolutely not. In fact, this doing this research actually caused me to uninstall chaw Bus, which is like a Chinese food delivery app, because I realized that it was constantly running in the background to like to drive up. It's like user engagement metrics.
Speaker 2: That is completely fair, Although if you were even more dedicated, you could have bought a burner phone to download all these apps onto and tested on that.
Speaker 1: So that's true, but I no, I refuse to let that shit connect my internet. Like, under no circumstances.
Speaker 2: You can go to a Starbucks, you can go to his See I've just thrown out options here.
Speaker 1: I probably could have done this, but no, absolutely not. Actually, well, it's actually really hard to download the Chinese version of this, for reasons that we'll get into the next episode. All right, all right, but okay, So, like he's running this shitty game company and he has a genuinely brilliant and terrible insight, which is that she sees how addictive like mobile gaming and how addictive like micro transactions are, and he goes, oh shit, what if I put this in a shopping gap? Except that okay, so that's the reasonable way to explain it. But like, the thing he actually did was like why are Okay, his thought his actual thought process was why are we not selling game? Games are all like advertised in men, right, like these the apps that he's making are like weird, horny stuff for guys. Why are we not making games with women? Which is reasonable, But then his follow up was U, effectively women be shopping, and he was like, so trying it will make a shopping thing it's just like, we'll make we'll make we'll make an app to make shopping into a game. And so one of the things he's he's also been doing one of the like the kind of like search engine optimization scams, where like he just keeps making different shopping like shopping websites and hoping that one of them will like climb in the search rankings. But eventually he hits on a like a combination of using the like dog shit like addictive mobile gamification stuff from his mobile games in a like in an online shopping app, and he hits on that as the idea for a new shopping app. And this is what turns into PDD. Now do you know what didn't turn into PDD and is in fact better Hopefully these ads that are.
Speaker 2: Not for tebou we better not get a fucking temo ad. Hopefully, I.
Speaker 1: It's actually possible. It's oh god, well, careful what you wish for. And we're back. So PDD doesn't start in the way that normal tech app things do, which is to say that PDD starts as an online fruit vendor. Now, okay, if you know anything like a.
Speaker 2: Like a farmer's market online like what what yeah, okay, So if you know anything about how like Amazon worked, right, So Amazon goes from books to a bunch of stuff to food.
Speaker 1: PDD does this backwards. They start in food. Now, this is very weird. And the reason this works, and the reason that PDD starts as a marketplace for rural farmers and self roofs and vegetables like directly to consumers is because unfortunately of the structure of the Chinese agricultural mark, which we have to talk about a little bit. So something I talked about. God, I don't know how many years ago this was now, but like a while back I did an episode about this company that poisons like three hundred thousand babies by making poisoned milk in China, and one of the things, though that was a Bastard's episode. Of the things I talked about in that episode was how the Chinese agricultural market is incredibly fragmented. We don't have time to do a full history of rural decollectivization here, but the upshot of it is that it results in a lot of farmers working really small plots of land who are forced to sell their goods to a series of middlemen who make the actual profits. And because these farmers have like a tiny amount of land and grow stuff on or they have like two cows, right, they don't have the financial leverage to negotiate with like the middleman. The middle bank can just set prices on them. And the product of this is you have a really really fragmented market where there's just like all of these like unbelievably large numbers of these really small sellers and part of and you know, and and and this and this, this locks all of these people into the middlemen. The middle man can set the prices. The middlemen set the prices incredibly low, and they're locked in because they don't have another distribution method because the only thing they can do is sell to these like agricultural middleman companies. The companies like above them, like your grocery companies are like actual milk company who packages the milk. They love this stuff because it means that they don't have to like pay the farmers. They can just buy like the goods directly. They don't have to deal with like employment stuff, and they don't have to deal with quality control too, because they can pass that on to the middlemen. Now, something else we talked about in our anti work Lying Flat episodes like three years ago, is that China has these like far like rural influencers. That was it was like a huge wave of these people that sort of like emerge. You might actually have seen you've seen the videos of just like someone in rural China like cutting wood or something.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, totally, totally yeah.
Speaker 1: So those those things were We're like, Okay, the US catches up the stuff on the Chinese internet like usually several years after like happened there and that makes sense. Yeah. And the next thing in line after the original sort of rural influencer waves was these like was this wave of like farmer influencers and these people they're using like a different Chinese like it's like another it's like another tick dot clone basically, and they're doing the thing that they're doing is okay. So you you know, you have your regular influencer who's trying to sell you like the image of rural life, right, and then you have the farmer influencers who are trying to sell you the image of rural life and also their potatoes. And this is this is like the marketing strategy. This is this is this is this is how you can skip the middlemen and like actually sell your fruit is by becoming an influencer. Which it's so cursed. It's so cursed. I hate it so much.
Speaker 2: That is kind of dystopian, and it's just the constant, the constant performance.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But the problem is that the alternative to it is even worse because PDD really is this. They're looking at these markets and they're like, hold on, these farmers are already selling their goods for like next to nothing. If we come in, pay them a bit better, use our text or like our tech money to ourex startup money. They have an enormous amount of tex startup money. If we use that tech startup money to give them rebates, we can do things that like you know, we can not charge them commission, right, And if we can do this, we can turn around and sell these fruits for like zero dollars a zero dollars is this l like exaggeration, but when I like, they're selling these fruits for an are unbelievably cheap, Like we are talking ten mangos for a dollar and thirty nine cents, which is like a steal, outrageous, right, And you know this is this is incredibly successful. What they're doing basically is a giant version of the Amazon gambit. Right, they're eating shit and taking losses to sell all of this stuff, although they're losing less money than you'd think, like the actual price of these goods is already so low, and we're gonna come back to that too, because that that's an aspect of what's so messed up about this whole thing. But you know, so they eat shit, it takes some losses, but they really really quickly build market share. So this is a very very short smart strategy because it's not just in the sort of real market. China has a shit ton of like small and medium sized producers that make a whole bunch of things, or like guy with one factory person doing like craft production stuff. And pdd's plan is to pull together all of these sellers like this, this whole all all of these people from different markets into just one giant, like one giant like market that they control now importantly unlike Amazon, And this is unlike ali Baba too, because Ali Baba works on a fairly similar model to well, okay, in a lot of ways, is a similar model to Amazon. It's identical, but Unlike those two companies, PDD doesn't run their own logistics network. It's all it's all third party. Like the shipping and all that shit is done by is done through third party logistics stuff. So like their shipping companies, they don't own warehouses like that stuff, you know, what they're What they do instead is they use the shipping companies and warehouses that were developed in like the earlier parts of the Chinese tech boom, and they're able to just use that infrastructure to you know, to to ship all their stuff around. And this means that the company is extremely lean in the sense that like they don't have a lot of physical assets like they know, and this means they don't have to deal with labor costs or like the logistics problems of actually having to like you know, of actually having employees packing boxes and making things. They're just an app. It's it's it's well, they're they're like the original model of Uber in some sense, right where like you don't like Uber doesn't fucking own or wasn't supposed to be owning cars. I mean, I guess Uber's a bad example because they were trying to do the automated car thing. But that was a fiasco. But you know, the thing that PDD makes is just an app, but it's it's an incredibly addictive app, like it's it's it's a shopping gotcha game, which is like maybe the worst sentence in the history of the human language.
Speaker 2: And this was like this was around the time, like I want to say, like tennish years ago, give or take a few years, where like micro transactions were becoming massive, like all, like it took over gaming, It took over so many parts of just being online, It took over apps, like it just it just infected everything, and we luckily kind of pushed back on some some of that. We're still not all of it, but like there was definitely some some degree of like, oh, well, we are simply not going to be buying all of these games if it's just full of micro micro transaction bullshit. And then Fortnite took over and we're back and how again, but whatever.
Speaker 1: Actually it's it's pretty funny. China kind of recently the Chinese government like did a crackdown on like loop boxes and stuff because they were some of some of the some of the regulations they put in place are nuts, but some of it was like, you can't sell loop, you can't sell gambling the children. Yeah, and this caused like it's funny because they're kind of walking it back now because it hurt their gaming market so much. They're like, well, shit, okay, we have to we need those yeah, like that's the only way to make money. Yeah. But you know, but PDDs like brilliant. They're sort of like the the the absolutely evil shit that they realized is like, we can just we can just do this for shopping. And so like the moment you log in, right, there's like these flash deals, and there's these group deals, and this is the thing that the group deals are, the thing that that PDD is based around. So the way it works is you get these group deals, and so you get a link and you send it to people, and the more people click on the link to buy the thing, the cheaper it becomes. So and then you send the links over we chat, which is the curve of like catch all Chinese messenger or like social media app that everyone uses to like talk to their boomer parents. And so the thing that your boomer parents are doing is they're sending these shopping links to each other, and you know, and the the the more like the more people click on these links, the cheaper the good becomes. So when the more people are buying it, the more people you rope into buying stuff from this app, the cheaper it is, and the more deals you get you get things like they'll just like give you like quote unquote free money if you spend enough money, basically like in the same way that like micro transaction works right, where it's like, you know, in a game, it's like if you play the x number of games, will give you like in game currency, whereas this is just like will literally give you money. We're like send things to you.
Speaker 2: God, that sounds like hell, it's awful.
Speaker 1: It's so bad and very importantly right, It's this giant loop that it not only gets people to spend money, but it gets people to bring their friends in because you have to bring your friends in to get the group deals, so everything gets cheaper and cheaper, and the tactics they use are absolutely wild. They get in trouble in twenty twenty one for this promotion called Bargain for Free Goods, where you'd get a link and the claim was that if enough people clicked it, you would get the good for free, and so this guy tried to do it, but he could can only get it two point nine percent of the cost. So we sued them for false advertising, and the claim got thrown out, but the company had to pay him like money, So like this is the kind of shit that they're doing. Rechat actually like blocked their links for a while because, you know, because like some enormous portion of messages suddenly we're just like these people sending these spam links to like every single person they know, trying to get them to buy like a fucking toothbrush so that your toothbrushes can be cheaper. Right, But eventually we Chat kind of like you know, WeChat gives up and they start like allying more with PDD. I mean, there's a whole there's a whole complicated story I'm not going to get into here about like the like China's really really ferocious like tech company wars because like in the US, you know, like our tech monopolies are relatively stable, right, Like they've sort of portioned up the Internet into and like distribution and stuff into just like basically like local monopolies. Right, Like like Google is like the only search engine company there's there's basically no competition there, right, Like there's some competition in terms of social media, but even then it's like and it's not like the Chinese version words like unbelievably ferocious competition and sometimes they cooperate, but yeah, you know, it's it's really fierce. And PDD. You know the thing that they do, right is they pair this app stuff with direct to consumer sales, and PDT is really the pioneers of this. She In and okay, so i I she In is that fucking fast fashioned clothing company. I learned today that it is actually pronounced she In because the name of the thing is she In, like s a she she and then she's like she's in. Yeah, I hate it so much. I'm so sad. I I mean, I feel slightly better because, like I kept trying to read it in Chinese. It's like this doesn't make any sense, Like it's just baffling. It doesn't and it's like, oh no, it's because it's in English. Yeah, but PDD is the precursor of Shean's like strategy, right, like they're they're the originators of this, except they're you know, they're what they're doing basically, it's it's a fact. It's kind of like drop shipping. But you know, the sales are being pushed by these these sort of gamified app stuff, and this means that they have this like real time supply management system that tells producers like like they can like they go down and like tell their sellers like what to produce more of based on like app sales. So you know the way it works is you start off with a small it's like a small number of things, and then you get ads to push that those like fucking toothbrushes or whatever. And then as like sales ramp up, you ramp up productions. You can ship people more toothbrushes. Now do you know who else will ship you toothbrushes that will probably be better quality than the PDD tooth pressure. No, we can.
Speaker 2: We can guarantee all of our sponsors have only the top quality toothbrushes. That is, that is what we call the cool Zone Guarantee. Go do toothbrush dot com and put in the keyword MIA for a ten percent off on your top of the lines.
Speaker 1: Please don't do this, so all right, D and D just it takes rural China by storm.
Speaker 2: Sure it sounds convenient, Like yeah, yeah for some.
Speaker 1: Pan and it's really really cheap, is the thing, right, And the thing about rural China is you're dealing with a level of poverty that like is like almost like it's not unimaginable in the US, but it's like unbelievable, Like it's something.
Speaker 4: That like like we don't really have it in the same way because Okay, so like an example of the kind of stuff we're dealing with, right, Like, so, China's GDP per capita in like the sixties was lower than hades, Right, this is an unbelievably poor country.
Speaker 1: And there are there are places in real China that are still like basically not quite that poor, but are like unbelievably poor in ways that like, you know, we're talking about people who are like people who are doing kind of well in these regions are making seven hundred dollars a month. Like that's like on a good month, right, they're making seven hundred dollars a month, which is that's eight four hundred dollars a year, and that's that's that's if you have twelve good months, right, if you have normal months, it's more like six thousand dollars a year, and so you know, and when when when when you're in a place where people are using stuff like this, And again that's someone who like has a job full time, is making like six thousand dollars a year, and so people use PDD to shop because it's incredibly cheap and it's also addictive. And when I say cheap, like we're talking like two dollars for a pair of genes cheap, right, and like that's that's also like cheap and you on too. It's like unbelievably low prices.
Speaker 2: I mean this, this kind of this kind of reminds me a little bit of that recent Tucker Carlson Russia is great actually media stunt. Oh yeah, look, all of these groceries only cost one hundred dollars in American currency. And it's like yeah, because they're getting paid like two hundred dollars like a week, Like they're not they're not taking home very much money, so all of the costs like slide very differently, Like you can't just compare this one to one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Altho, The thing I will say about about PDD is that their prices are unbelievably low by Chinese standards, Like this is a This is also why they look so low by America standards too, is that these are these are low by Chinese standards, and because they're so low by Chinese standards, like people, people buy stuff from it. The cost of this is that the stuff they're selling is really cheap. I mean, the other is the unbelievable exploitation of the Chinese working class. But you know, we'll get to that. We'll get to that next episode. The main cost of the stuff being cheap is that the stuff they buy like sucks ass like literally literally this only the CEO talks about is that their gambit is that, Okay, we'll ship you ten mangos for for like a dollar thirty nine. Two of them will be rotten, but that means you still get eight mangos.
Speaker 2: That we're still an unbelievable like.
Speaker 1: That's the thing, and like, you know, the stuff that they get like sucks. Here's from the Chinese media outlet sixth Tone, which has done a lot of good coverage of PDD. They they used to be better. They're like the kind of like left e like say media outlet. They used to be better and then their staff got run out because they they went they walked too close to the line. So but here's here, here's what. Here's they They've done a lot of they because the most of the PDD coverage came from before their people got run out, so quote following the IPO, a number of purchase series is allegedly bought from PDD. We're shared online, including a hair dryer that broke out in flames after it was switched on and a part bake.
Speaker 2: Hey, that also happens in America. Don't worry, you know, you're like, I know, you're like, oh, I'm missing out on all these great deals, all these great products. Not true. This could also happen in the States.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: There's another one where they had a power bank and someone ordered it and they came and it was just four triple A batteries and a container.
Speaker 2: That's funny. That's good. That's a good bit. That's yeah, that's pretty good.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: There's stuff like like one of one, like sixth time was interviewing people in real areas you bought off and they were like, yeah, I brought it. I bought a fishing rod for like two bucks and it was broken. I bought a pair of shoes and it literally fell apart after three days.
Speaker 2: So I have complicated feelings on this because I think there is a place for gambling in purchases. If if, for example, on Amazon, if every fourth product you bought there was a completely like defective, like purposely like lower quality version, I think that would be a good for the world. We would have problem, we would have less people using Amazon, and you would kind of get slightly punished. So I think this actually could be a good thing if used correctly, where we where we purposely sabotage every like fourth person who buys anything online.
Speaker 1: But the problem is that people fucking love gambling. Like that's that's just gonna make people do more because now there's more of a downside if we're trying to get your fucking deal. So I mean, and this is the thing, right, Like you're rolling the dice every time every time you take a.
Speaker 2: You order like an election generator online and they send you a double a Oh my god, it'd be so funny funny.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, now, hey, you too can now shop on Temu, you too can experience getting shipped just fucking bullshit.
Speaker 2: You order some nice Hawaiian coffee and they send you some like camameal, Oh god devastating.
Speaker 1: So this this whole thing of you buy stuff that sucks or doesn't work. And the fact that PDD starts in rural China means that like initially there's this like real class element about how who uses PDD. It's seen as like the site for poor and gulibal people who don't care about quality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's the place where lower class people shop.
Speaker 1: Yeah sure, yeah, And well that stops being true kind of because everyone starts using it. But Comma, the other problem they have is that it is absolutely rife with Kinterfit products. Right after they go public in twenty eighteen, there's like a Chinese state investigation into the sale of their Kinterfit products. And pdd's response is like, well, we're just a marketplace. Anyone can sell on it. How are we supposed to control who makes counterfeit stuff? But this is this is actually like it gets to a kind of like cultural thing where you know, what is one of the things that happens in world trying This happens in a lot of places where like almost everyone is wearing like clothes that are like knockoff brand stuff because it's just the cheapest clothes and like that's that's the kind of clothes that's being made that you can afford if you're you know, like you're you're trying to sort of make it like in World China, so you get like, you know, you have like entire villages where you walk in and everyone's wearing like like niaky and like a dietis or something like it's like nice. This stuff gets really wild, really fast. So here's from that that sedging interview with Colin Huang. Again, so here's here's a catching. It's a Chinese media outlet, so they're their interviewer. One of the best selling products on PDD is a bottle of affidisi at priced at twenty seven point eighty on that is like three almost four dollars, with a total of four point seven million orders sold. Do you think this medicine might be real? Here's the CEO. First of all, medicines are healthcare products sold on pdd's platform must have national certification marks. Secondly, the gross profit margin of healthcare products is already extremely high. Just like facial mass. Do you think the two hundred yond facial max is useful? So again, again, what is happening here is that like they have sold like one point four point seven million orders of of like a fake afrodisiac, And when the CEO is asked about his response, it's like, well, but who could really say if any health products work?
Speaker 2: Like wooo, that is a pretty funny bit. I mean, it sucks that people, the poor people are losing money, but well, I to be fair, to be fair, pretty fine bit.
Speaker 1: If you are trying to like buy an afrodisiac, I don't really care. Sure, sure yeah, but like you know, so part of it, like they're selling like fake hack medicines. This is like the Chinese version of the American like grift, like right wing grift like supplement market.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, it's the brain pills to help libido or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this also gets a lot darker. One of the there's one of the stories that kind of like made the rounds Chinese social media that six Tone reports on is that people found PDD like advertising like sleep medicine as date rate drugs. Ah yeah, fucking bleak. There's like fuck And that's the thing. There's like no fucking content moderation on this, right, so people just do that shit and it really sucks. But on their hand, none of the constant bad press like stop pdd's rise, right, and now it is time to leave Colin Huang behind soil. Until about phil twenty twenty, pdd's rise was synonymous with its CEO, Colin Huang. But in mid twenty twenty, Huang resigned as the CEO and kind of like exited public life effectively, like not entirely, we kind of like he like took he like he resigned as CEO, and then twenty twenty one he resigns as like a chairman of the board and he's like, you know, he's doing this like philanthropic stuff instead, and he's you know, he's doing his like post CEO life thing, right, And we've never gotten a good answer as to why he stepped down. But I have a theory, and I think my theory's pretty good. And also it goes into have I Garrison, have I explained to you the thing about I don't remember if I've done it on this show, I talked about the Chinese payday loan app thing.
Speaker 2: H I don't think.
Speaker 1: So okay, So all right, we are now going to do We're going to close this episode out on one of the most absolutely insane moments of Chinese internet history. So okay, one of the things that happens in the Chinese tech market in the late twenty tens and early twenty twenties is this mass proliferation of app base payday loans. This is one of the worst things I have ever seen. What effectively happens is at around like twenty fourteen twenty fifteen, a bunch of Chinese tech companies, especially like delivery companies like sort of like China's version of grub, Public Door, Dash and Ali Baba, they're like Amazon equivalent gets in it too, and these people realize that they can start their own payment platforms. So basically like all these companies are making their own version of PayPal. But then they realize that they can use these platforms to give out payday loans, so that you can in one app take out a paid a loan to order delivery, or you can in one app take out a payday loan to buyshit from Amazon with the payday loan. Ten Cent gets in on it, so you can buy Mitro transactions with your payday loans. This, as you might expect, Spiral's out of control. Immediately on. The interest rates on these loans are enormous, and this means that they make an unbelievable amount of money, and so apps just start like shoveling these loans in people's faces the momently long onto apps. But the thing is, like this doesn't stop with just like the big shopping apps right by twenty nineteen. It's not just you know, like when I say this is going to apps right like you're fucking Like imagine if Twitter was trying to offer you payd A loans.
Speaker 5: Like that's the main point of that that might happen, but that might actually maybe based on the plans for the Twitter to become the banking app.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's actually the funny thing. So so Elon Musk really really likes China. And part of the reason for this is that, you know, a bunch of Tesla factories are in shing John. Part of the reason for this, like he's trying to like recreate the like weed chat environments, but everyone doesn't right, Like people don't actually like it. But the thing is the other thing that he really loves is the number of hours that you can get people to work in China that you can't really in the US, So we'll get to that fucking next episode. But you know, okay, so like like your your fucking Twitter is trying to see you paid a apps. But then it gets the point where your fucking flashlight app is trying to sell you, trying to get you to take out payday loans, like your like photo app, like every fucking app on your phone is trying to sell you pay loans. That sounds incredibly at this and this is one of these things, right that like, okay, like as bad as like American apps are, right, like it is as bad as like the version of capitalism that we have in the American app ecosystem, Like the wildest shit is always going on in the Chinese tech market, which is like even more insane than the American tech market. And this is the thing, like we don't actually have this here, and I've I've been trying to figure out why it never happened here. I think it has to do it partially with banking regulation and partially with like the fact that like the actual American payd A loan companies don't want other companies to like cut in on their business. So I think that's what's happening, but like in China, it's literally like and this is happening in like like like twenty nineteen, twenty twenty, twenty twenty one, that this stuff is happening, so you know, and it's an all and this this gets I mean, it turns into just a fucking nightmare because you know, obviously, like this turns into this giant wave of people who got it in over their heads and can't pay their loans back because they took out a payday loan with thirty percent interest. And also, and this is one of the fun things, companies just straight up lie about their interest rates. Like there's a lot of examples of the companies saying we have a nine percent interest rate, and then you know, in the contract it says nine percent interest rate, and then when they try to get you to pay it back, it's like thirty percents, right, Like this is like you know, and sometimes they're they're even they're you know, you're getting up to like one hundred two hundre percent interest. Like he's like organized crime levels of interest. And you know, like Alli, like the tech giants are all into it, Ali Baba isn't quite as big into it. As like some of the other companies, but like they're doing it, like they absolutely are doing the payday loan shit. And I mentioned Alibaba here because in late twenty twenty, Jack mob who's the founder of Alli Baba, just like disappears. He's just gone for like several months, nobody, nobody knows where he is, and then he reappears in like twenty twenty one, but he's not doing tech ceo stuff anymore. He's doing like weird public education tours and like rural China. And this causes like a huge, a huge like kind of thing in the American press because what they're reading it as, and they're kind of right, is that there's this in twenty twenty one, there's this enormous raft of financial regulations on tech companies, and this GUS interpreted is like a crackdown on chech companies, Like the CCP is trying to bring the tech giants in line, like they disappear Jackmaw and you know, one of them. This is something something that a story that gets lost in this in the American press is that like one of the big things they're trying to do is stop is stop all of these fucking companies, I'm turning their apps to THEO ped alone factories. And you know, like I'm I'm not like a CCP fan, Like it is well known. Like it's like my dislike of the CCP is so large that like a non insignificant number of people in the US think I work for the CIA, right, But like this is like those fucking companies they were like they were like like on the edge of completely annihilating the Chinese economy. They were very they got very very close to just like reducing like enormous swaths of the entire Chinese population and to like peer at based debt pionage. It was a fucking disaster. And this is part this is a big part of why this like tech crackdown came in because the CCP was like, holy shit, if you guys do this, like you're actually going to like like you're you're gonna you're gonna fucking nuke the Chinese economy, Like we cannot allow every single fucking app to be a paid a loan like service and things. I mean, it's still not great now, but it things have gotten a lot less bad in the in the pay a loan like thing since then. But you know again, like it it. It had to get bad enough that your flashlight were trying to get your take out of payd a loan for the CCP to actually like go after their like tech giant darlings. And I think what happened is that I I think what happened is that Colin Huang like saw which way the wind was blowing and he was like, Okay, there's gonna be a giant crackdown now now two wits credit. This is the only time I will give PDD credit for anything. PDD actually didn't do the payday loan shit, I think because Colin Huang was just like was like smart enough to be like, this is a fucking terrible idea. Like if we try to get our like rural customer base hooked on payday loans, all these people are gonna just be completely broke in like nine months. So PDD doesn't do it. But he takes this moment like he picks twenty like July twenty twenty, which is like a couple months before Jack modest speers, and he just fucking nopes and he's like I'm out and yeah, like things, you know, and he picked a good time and this meant that, like, you know, he never really faced any consequences for you know, he wasn't really caught up in the crackdown. He got out fine, and you know, he he picked, he picked the time to do it, and pdd's future in America was still ahead of it. But when the Chinese media began to uncover the dark side of PDD in twenty twenty one, Colin Kwang was nowhere to be found. And that is what we're covering tomorrow. We haven't even gotten to the bad stuff yet.
Speaker 2: I haven't even got to Temu proper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well the thing about Temu, and we will get to ten me next episode. But Temu's like a twenty twenty two thing, right, so it's really recent. It's only been around for like two years, which means that if we're going to talk about this, ninety percent of it is going to be PDD because PDD is like nine years old. But yeah, tune in tomorrow for a bunch of absolutely harrowing shit. Yeah, this is this is, this is it could happen here.
Speaker 2: We love dude, so exciting. I love learning about new harrowing shit. It could happen years.
Speaker 3: A production of Cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonemedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts, you can find sources for It could happen here, updated monthly at coolzonemedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening.