Speaker 1: The guys from Ping. They've kind of showed me how much the equipment matters. I just love that I can hit any shot I kind of want.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be able to tell some fun stories about what goes on here to help golfers play better golf.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the Ping proven Grounds podcast. Exciting guest today Shane Baker with Marty Jerts and Marty one of the great pros and longevity has been one of the keys to his success.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Four time PGA Tour winner Harris English, is awesome to have you on the pod.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you having me. Guys.
Speaker 3: Are you a podcast guy, Harris? Are you into it? Do you listen to them?
Speaker 1: Or I do a little bit. Not a whole lot of golf podcasts been in the humor and lately just kind of learning about a lot of different things.
Speaker 3: What are you into right now?
Speaker 1: The Human podcast? The Stanford Professor. Yeah, just kind of some science stuff, performance stuff of how I can get better on the course, eating wise. He had a good alcohol podcast recently that I've listened to. But uh, yeah, really anything but golf. I feel like we're in the golf world so much. It's kind of nice to get away from it and listen to something else.
Speaker 3: Were you a consumer of golf stuff like when you were an amateur, when you were a college kid. I mean, I know that kind of changes once it becomes your job. But did you read when you were younger? Did you read like golf books things like that at all?
Speaker 1: I did? I did obviously growing up in the Tiger Woods era, Ye got us all into golf and watching him in the two thousands was incredible, and I feel like I'm a I love collecting golf clubs. I love old school golf clubs, even at home. I mean, I know the Ping guys know that once I find something that I like, I stick to it. And Ping has made some unbelievable clubs throughout the years, and I love kind of holding on to those relics.
Speaker 2: One of those, Harris is your putter?
Speaker 3: Talk about that?
Speaker 1: I still have one?
Speaker 2: Oh hum, when did you first start using that?
Speaker 1: So my senior year at college at Georgia was struggling with my putting a little bit going into my spring semester, my last semester, and thank Scott Sullivan, who was the college rep for sent me a couple of putters and the whole hum was one of them. I don't even think he sent it to me. He might have sent it to a couple of our players, and our assistant coach got it. He was out on the putt and green saying how good it was, and I ended up trying it and it stuck, played really well that spring semester, made it pretty far in the pub links won the Southern ameitter, won the nationwide event, and it kind of kept going. And it's one of those things where if it's not broke, don't fix it, And something about the face on it. I mean, I know Nate Lashley putts with a similar putter out here. For us, it's like three wood and putter. It's the hardest thing to get rid of, to change, and it's one of those where I know the good and bad of it. I know my missus with it, and it's just something you kind of stick to.
Speaker 2: Are you using the same exact one from college?
Speaker 1: I have. I have four different ones right now that I've kind of collected over the years, so I don't know if it's the exact same one. I'll kind of put one in the corner for a little bit to take a time out if it's not working right. But yeah, I mean that the grip, I mean the the whole grip thing of the Ryder cup. I mean I I don't really like to change grips a whole lot. I like it kind of warning because my hands sweat a little bit and I don't like a real shiny, slippery grip, So I like it warning a lot. I know the guys in the on the trailer will send it down a little bit for me. But yeah, it's worked really well. I've tried a lot of different putters, I mean, but it's it's hard to switch.
Speaker 2: What's your club collection? Like at home? How how many clubs do you think you have in your your garage or wherever you storm?
Speaker 1: So we were in the process of moving and I had to clean out a lot of clubs and I didn't realize how many clubs actually because get four it out of a closet. Yeah, it was. It was a lot. And if I've played a tournament with one, or I can remember a shot with a certain club, I really can't give it up, especially with wedges, different grinds and like, oh this is how it felt three woods. I still have a lot of g two' s G five's that I loved. I love that deep face on the G five three. Well that was probably my favorite.
Speaker 3: Three.
Speaker 1: What I've I've ever had, Yeah, but just some. I have some old school being like the ISI's were amazing stuff I grew up with. But yeah, I've had to clean out some that I didn't really like and had to get rid of. But I still have a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, moving into a new place, or you're gonna have always interested in this with pro golfers and pro athletes, or you gonna have an area to kind of display stuff you've done throughout your career. Is that on the plan?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want to make like our living room or anything like a.
Speaker 3: Trophy room like around the TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there'll be a couple of spots for the special trophies. Little Ryder cup that we got for the tournament'll be in there, a couple of my wins will be in there. But I'll have a kind of a golf storage room off the garage that I'll have a lot of my clubs kind of facing. That was one of the rooms I got to design, so I will get to display all my clubs and get to be able to see them instead of just piled up in the corner. I'll be able to see him easier and put some stuff in there. Again, you collect so much golf stuff, pictures and I mean the.
Speaker 3: Tip around team bags, things like that.
Speaker 1: I mean it's a big part of Yeah, it's a lot of stuff, and it's you don't want to get rid of it, but it's I don't want to have it like all around the house. Like again, you kind of want to get away from it a little bit and not have all the golf stuff in your face all the time.
Speaker 3: When did you feel like you weren't a newbie on tour anymore? I know you're in your mid thirties now and you've turned pro back in twenty eleven. When do you feel like you felt comfortable as a pro in terms of you knew everything when you were traveling. You knew about the golf courses, you kind of knew where to stay, you knew places to eat, and then you started to see the young guys pop up, and you were thinking yourself, Oh, those guys are much younger than me. That's like a different generation. Do you know that kind of hit?
Speaker 1: How I would say recently? I mean I've always. I mean coming on tour when I was twenty one, twenty two years old, I was always the young guy and there was just a few of us out here. But I'm in my thirteenth year now, and I feel like probably the last five six years, I've really gotten call well, just like you said, learn how to travel, where to stay, where to eat. It takes a while, and you get to know the courses you come back to every single year and love the places you come to. I mean it's really cool traveling or spending a week in every city out on tour. You feel like you're a local for a week and you get to know a lot of the people, a lot of a lot of the local spots. So we have a good time, and my wife and I spend the whole West Coast swing stand on the West Coast. I don't even if I take a week off and I don't go back home. We say out on the West Coast and make some memories out here. So it's it's been a lot of fun and I've enjoyed the ride. I mean, it's crazy to think this is my thirteenth Right on tour happens quick.
Speaker 3: Right and all of a sudden you're like, oh, and wait, they've been doing this for this long.
Speaker 1: Because you get such in a routine and thinking about this week and think about next week, and every year seems to be the exact same of what terments you play and where you're traveling, so it flies by really fast. But uh, making some new memory's. We got a seven month old little girl and it's been fun doing some different stuff like find out where daycare is a lot of so so the new stuff that's popping up traveling with a small kid and on on tour is uh is new and fresh and it's it's uh, it's been a lot of fun so far.
Speaker 3: How does the baby travel doing? Doing good on the flights, like handling that I know that's not easy. We just we just traveled to Orlando. I've got an almost five year old, almost two year old, and it was disaster zone on there.
Speaker 1: You're you're in the midst of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you you can like sit you know, you can sit the baby, you know, and then like the car seat on the plane and hopefully get about an hour so.
Speaker 1: That that was a mistake. We made fine out to Hawaii as we just got a seat from my wife and I we just got passing her back and forth. She wasn't comfortable trying to go to sleep feeding her. So I've learned my lesson. We're gonna get her own seat now. I'll put the car seat in there. She's in the cocoa melon now, so we've it'll burn out. Kind of kind of dabble that in a little bit, but yeah, I kind of learned on the fly. I mean it's pretty easy right now that she can still and be in her seat, but I know it'll change soon when she's up walking around and getting into a lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yes, Harris, tell us about like twenty twenty, twenty twenty one. I mean, you had an amazing year in twenty one. We could all see signs of that kind of building up. What was what came together for you either you know, training wise, technique wise, equipment wise to build up. He won the Travelers in twenty one, obviously, special week of the Ryder Cup. What was what were the things that all came together around that time?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was unfortunate obviously covid hitting. I felt like I was playing some really good golf at the Players that year. I think I was in second place. I think I shot sixty five at first round, and I was really feeling good about my game. And then that was the head deck he won when he shot sixty three and you shot sixty five. Yeah, feeling really good about that tournament, and then going to bed that night and then wake up at eleven pm and they've canceled the tournament and it's like, well what now. I worked really hard during COVID, trained a lot, I practiced a lot, worked with my coach, Justin Parsons. I used that time to really get a lot better at golf, and when we didn't start again, I was ready to play. So I'm not sure everybody did that. I think a lot of guys took that time to be with their family and hang out and take a little vacation from golf. But I used that to get better and be ready to play when the time came, and I came out pretty hot. I think I missed the cut the first week at Colonial, but then Hilton Head the next week, I got started and kept rolling, and yeah, I started playing some really good golf. Won the Century Tournament champions in a playoff over Waka. It was nice to get back in the Winter Circle again, that break of not winning since twenty thirteen, you kind of forget how hard it is to win out here on tour, and you got to have kind of all the stars in line, and it lined up that week. I was putting really well. I was playing really well and get in the playoff and be able to birdie that number eighteen again to when the playoff was amazing. And then the crazy Travelers eight hole playoff.
Speaker 3: I mean you literally, same year, you have birdie the first hole of a playoff to win, and then you have that eight hole marathon, which like parr after parr after para. I mean, those are two totally different situations for a player, totally different kind of approaches mentally. I mean you go out and like you said, you catch fire and ket make a birdie early and it's winning. In the other one, like, how did you handle eight holes? What was that like? An hour and a half, two hours of golf extra on the back into the final round.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was a wild day. I remember playing the final round with Jason Day. A birdied eighteen made like a thirty five footer left or right breaker for me. That was either to win the tournament, or getting a playoff. It was playing pretty hard coming down the stretch. The wind was picking up. Seventeen and eighteen were straight down when and pretty hard to access the pens. So I knew that was a really big putt. And I remember Jason Date telling me kind of walking up to the scoring trailer like, hey, stay calm, be ready, be ready for playoff. Go go do your routine, be ready for it. And I thought that was really cool of him to say, and sign my scorecard, went straight to the range and kind of warming up like I was playing in the playoff, and then I heard the roar Kramer making the birdie on eighteen to get in the playoffs. I was, I was ready. I never let myself kind of go back down and then come back up. I kind of stayed at the same intensity the whole time, and I feel like that that really helped me during the playoff. Yeah, it was tiring. My caddie, Eric Clarson, really kept me in it. My low back was starting to get pretty sore. So that was a long day. I mean, walking eighteen holes and then warming up again and then playing eight holes. I mean it was grueling, but you gotta mentally stay in it. I felt like we battled it out pretty well. We made some really clutch putts, and I know people on TV were like, I can't somebody make it very yeah, yeah, just.
Speaker 3: It just I mean it was fun to watch, you know, it was kind of fun to watch, like I mean, it was this literal tennis match, you know. It was like it was like a tie breaker in ten where you're seeing like good shots hit and passing shots hit and you're kind of waiting for somebody to hit the winner. And it kind of I mean, I'd say for most average golfers, they see that and they think to themselves, either you're gonna win or lose this at some point. But to stay in it and continually kind of get back to that tea and go all right routine again. I mean, like you said, Jason Day told you, I mean that shows kind of the mental fortitude of pro golfers, you know.
Speaker 1: And I remember one shot, I kind of flared a wedge short right of that pen being too aggressive and plugged it in the bunker and it's kind of do or die, like I'm trying to hold that out. I know I have to make bar on that hole. And I like that I like being in that mental space of yeah, like you said, a tennis matches, do or die, I know what I have to do. I've got to do it, and you got to stay in the moment. And I feel like I did that. I stayed calm, I was very focused and in the moment and helped it worked out. And the crowd seem to be in favor of Kramer, which I liked a lot. I like kind of being the underdog in that situation. It seemed like they wanted him to win, and I felt like my Caddie and I Eric were the only two out there that wanted us to win, and I kind of liked I kind of liked that situation.
Speaker 2: So you went from thirteen to twenty one without a victory. What were some of your close calls along the way there during that stretch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember losing the playoff to Jason Day at Tory Ponds played really well there. I remember colonial coming down the stretch, I felt like I was tied for the leader, maybe one up, and then Jordan Speed thirty the last three or four holes to beat me. So there's a lot of close calls and then kind of went through a little regression in my Game seventeen eighteen. Ish learned a lot about myself and about my game. When you're coming out on tour, everything's new and fresh and fun and seeing everything for the first time. And for me, I didn't I knew how to play the game. I just didn't know a whole lot about why I did certain things and why that made me good. So it was easy to fall in the trap of like playing with guys like Dustin or Rory Phil Tiger was like, why can't I do that? Why can't I swing the club like that? But everybody does it different, and for me it was finding why I do certain things my way and I can't do things that other guys can do, and you can kind of fall in that trap, and I did it a little bit of chasing different swings, had a lot of different swing coaches, and that didn't work for me, and luckily found Justin I think in early twenty nineteen and then things starting to click and kind of getting back to how I played the game and practiced and trained and all that, and it's been great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Harris, You're one of those guys that when we design our blueprint Irons, we kind of always have you in mind, you know, like our original Blueprint you played those when they first came out. Now you're playing the Blueprint teas and we're designing the product. It's always like, wow, we got you know, this is the iron. Harris is gonna bring it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like Harris and Tony is like the exactly tell us about your first experience with our original Blueprint and then uh, and then what has been like transition to the new Blueprint tea?
Speaker 1: And it was wild seeing those blueprints for the first time, because it's unlike anything Ping's ever made. This is incredible, I mean, kind of stepping outside their boundaries and making a true players club for us. I'll hear that, like to work the ball that can spin it enough, and then especially to keep the low irons down a little bit. That's kind of what we struggle with, is you get into the wind and and some of these game improvement irons flights of ball too high, too high, and we can't control it as well. So I love I love the way they look and hitting them for the first time, just the feel is incredible, and and being able to work the ball both ways, hitting it high, hitting it low. Everything and it was unlike anything I've ever seen from ping, and I was in love with it from the first time I hit it. And I think there's an easy transition going to the blueprint tees. The offset is a little bit different, so it took a little bit to get used to that, but once I started playing with him, it was a very easy transition, and I love them.
Speaker 2: So are you with your iron play? Are you mostly a shot maker in terms of controlling your vertical or do you curve it? Do you curve it left or right, right to left into different pins or crosswind scenarios.
Speaker 1: I like to do both depending. I like the pen and the wind kind of dictate what shot I'm trying to hit because I feel like I can hit both. And the hardest pin for me is a pin in the dead center of the green because I can see both shots and it's hard for me to commit to one or the other. But if it pens on the right, I can see a fade in there all day. If it depends on the left water left, I can see a draw in there. So I like to do both, and like playing with Bubba Wattson. I love watching him play because I kind of I don't curve it as much as he does, but I see the same shots that he does. Love playing with that freedom and just kind of letting the scenario dictate what shot I'm trying to hit instead of trying to force force a shot into something that I'm not really comfortable with.
Speaker 3: You talk about center pins, what do you typically go with? If you're saying you're looking at a center pin, no wind, I mean, are you gonna are you sixty five percent? I'm gonna hit a fade or you draw or you'd hit it straight? What do you do?
Speaker 1: I don't really know. It depends on the yardist. Like if I'm trying to take them off, I'm trying to add a little bit. That's the toughest one because I can see both, and it's so hard for me to just commit to one because I don't know. I'd much rather a pin to be tucked than be in the dead center. So a little different philosophy than what the average player was. An average golfer is like, I don't what five off the left or four off the left. Hair's like four off the left is great because we never really see that unless it's a pro am right right, right, That's what we're kind of used to, is playing like going out for the pro am. I'm used to seeing the pins tucked, so I'm used to working balls and miss them in certain areas.
Speaker 2: But if you have a tweener yardage, then you might hit a little draw or take a little off with it, like cutting it a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, that's uh. I had to do it a lot at pebble. I mean when the greens get really soft off to take a lot of spin off. That's the hardest thing for me because I I spin it a lot with my wedges and my irons. Yeah, that's the hardest thing for me. So I'm working on that a little bit. But yeah, I mean, if if I'm trying to add a little bit, I'm gonna draw it. If I'm taking a five six yards off, I'm trying to hit a little soft cut in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Harris is the ultimate blueprint t player. Yeah, I mean, just shaping it both directions, high spin, You're you're you're fighting, unlike the average player getting spin off. They're trying. We're trying to help them get the ball in the air, which is pretty cool. Now, Harris, what about transitioning into your wedges. You're one, You're one of I don't know, not too rare, but Shane's one of them that plays our you know, s one fifine pitching wedge basically right the forty eight? Have you always played that?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Why do you choose that over the set pitching wedge.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Just if I'm playing a wedge, I wanted to look like my other wedges. Yeah, I've never really done well with like a set pitching wedge. I don't know why. I chiple out with my pitching wedge A hill, a lot of bumping around, Yeah, long bunker shots. I feel like it has more playability. I don't know. I don't know if I'm one of the few, but I've kind of always gravitated towards playing a pitching wedge like my other wedges.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's same for me too. It's like the shots around the green. It just, I mean, it looked when you look down at it, it looks like you're fifty.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's just so much easier, and I feel like you're more confident pulling that club out and going with it. So I'm with it. Can we go back to twenty eleven for a minute, because obviously twenty twenty four we've seen Ammeter win on the PGA Tour. You won on the corn Ferry Tours an amateur. What point during that week did you think you actually might win the golf tournament.
Speaker 1: That was a wild week. I just won the Southern Amateur the week before. I was playing really well, and that was one of the events where if you're an All American, I think I was a second team All American. I got in the tournament at how To State. But it was a weird week, like I was paired with Peter Eulin and Bank. I'm I'm gonna butcher his last name, Arnan von Vonage. I think you know we caught him Bank. So I played with two amateurs the first two days and then I played with John Peterson I think the third day at the time, and I think before the last day. It was the only time ever I played with the pro. I played with John Peterson as well, so so to me, it just it was a comfort zone, like I played with all my buddies that I played with for a long time. It was weird, like it was just I felt like I was just battling out with John Peterson. The whole time, and just like our college days, and uh, it was a strange week, like it didn't feel like a pro event to me, Like I wasn't playing for money. I was out there trying to make the Walker Cup team later that year, just trying to do the best I can, and it was such a comfort zone for me, and on top of that playing some of the best golf of my life. So uh, it was awesome being the mix and unfortunate John Peterson made Bogiel on eighteen, I made birdie to get the win. But it was an awesome week and really jumped start in my career.
Speaker 3: Were you are you surprised that it took so long for an ameterur went on the PGA Tour. Obviously we had it happened in twenty twenty four, but I mean you go back to ninety two with Phil Mickelson winning as an amateur. I mean, we've seen amateurs getting contention even a major championships, think about the Open Championship a few years ago with St. Andrew's. But it felt like as good as these amateur players are and as many many experiences they're getting in pro events and being on camera, you feel like that comfort level is going to get there at some point. Did it surprise you that it took this long ninety two to twenty four to see an ameter win on the PGA Tour?
Speaker 1: It actually has, Yeah, especially with the guys. I mean, Speeth was probably pretty close to Scotti. Scheffler got in a number of events. I know it's a different level of pressure when you're an amateur compared to a pro, but yeah, it has surprised me that it hasn't been ticked off before now and you could see it happen more often and some of these smaller not smaller fields but not a big name turn out signature events, signature events. I mean, it was awesome to see. I think the whole world was pulling on Nick Dunlapp to do it. It was awesome to see, great for golf and just shows how good these kids in college are. I mean, that's that's how it's been for a while. I mean, these kids are ready to play. I mean the facilities in college, the training these guys are doing, and they are coming out thinking they can compete, and they can and they're great players. And I think you'll see it more often. I don't know if you'll see it every year, but I think more guys are amateurs are probably gonna get some starts in the PGA Tour, and they got a great chance to pull it off.
Speaker 3: I think being on TV helps too. I mean, I just feel like when you're kind of going through some of the things that Amber Golfer has obviously improved since you were a college golfer and aer golfer facilities are great, travel is great, but having cameras on you, having crowds around, like that's becoming more popular in amateur golf. You're seeing collegiate events on TV a lot more. And when you're more comfortable in that scenario, and then you get to the PGA Tour, it's not such a jump. It's not such a big jump. You go out and shoot sixty five sixty five Thursday Friday at a PJ door VN and all of a sudden, cameras areun for the first time, and you're like, what do I do? You know, do I walk weird? Do I do these types of things? Well, you don't have to worry about that anymore when you're on TV five six, seven times a year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And when I was in college, we were never on TV, and I think that's why they went to the match play to be able to get college golf on TV. And it's awesome to watch it on the Golf Channel. I love watching college golf on TV. And yeah, you're to your point. I mean, if they're more comfortable those scenarios in college, they're going to be more comfortab when they get the tour and it's not gonna be that much different. So it's awesome to see and it just shows where college golf is now. And people may think the average golf in probably doesn't watch a whole lot of college golf or amateur golf, but these guys are really good and they need to tune in more to the US Amateur, to the Walker Cup, to these big time college events because these kids are coming on the PGA Tour and they're going to be the stars here in a few years.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's happened so fast, Marty. I mean, I think that's what's been so surprising these last few years is kind of going back to twenty nineteen. You think about that group that crop jumping off and you got you know, Victor obviously played so well at that US Amateur at Pebble and Justin so was number amateur in the world. It's like all these guys come up at the same time and they win, you know, and they can tend and they play well, and obviously you're seeing it now. Ludwig had obviously a great season. I mean, add c wins on the corn Ferry Tour in his first start. It almost feels like they're itching to get out there, you know. And how much different do you see the amateur golfer now versus when you turn pro? Like what's is it?
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 3: It drastically different in terms of how they are right out of the gate.
Speaker 1: I feel like they're just a more complete player. I mean, the biggest thing I've seen is these kids now hit it so far. Yeah, I mean I remember coming out my first couple of years, I felt like I was one of the longest on the PGA Tour. And really my numbers have stayed the same, and like every year I just keep dropping back and driving goes down. I think I was like top fifteen maybe my first year on tour, and I felt like my numbers have stayed the same. And I don't know what I am now, but I'm probably past fiftieth and these kids hit it long, hit it straight, They're not scared. They're hitting driver more often. We didn't have all these stats coming out right on about how to play certain holes, how to be aggressive, how to make birdie.
Speaker 3: Do you dive into that stuff, like do you look at that stuff as well? Bit?
Speaker 1: I mean for me, it's more of a comfort level too, Like now I've played these golf courses for twelve years, like I kind of know the blueprint for each course and what suits my game. I'm not going to hit drivers somewhere where I'm not comfortable with it. I mean, I'm I feel like the strength of my game is kind of my mid iron, So I'm not scared to lay back and hit it in the fairway and then access a pen with an eight iron or seven iron. I feel like that's a great part of my game. But yeah, I mean, these these kids, they hit it long. They kind of grew up on the track man, and they know how to optimize all that stuff. And the training programs have gotten to be incredible. I know you've kind of done some of that speedstick. Yeah, but yeah, we didn't. We didn't grow up with that. We didn't really know how to do that. I been growing up for me with the ballata ball, the professional ball, like we never hit up on it. I kind of teed it low and launched it low, and.
Speaker 3: It was the one that started like an airplane. Yeah, it's low and then awesome, awesome to see. But now now these guys are launching it so high with no spend and hitting it forever, and it's just the game has changed so much in the past ten to twelve years.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think also there is like that, you know players, you see them bringing their foreside or what have you on the course or measuring every single shot, you know, so you're getting the feedback every time. Have you felt the pressure to increase your own distance or you have you stayed kind of immune to that and hey you are still a long hitter and just do your own thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd rather do it in like the workout trailer of the training room. Yeah, and not really mess with my swing too much, because I know you can kind of go too much. I've heard of guys doing a lot of that speed six training and maybe it messes up their seven or messes up there wedge. Like it'd be cool to get fifteen extra yards off the tee. But if it diminishes some of the other parts of my game that are very good, then I don't really see the benefit of that. But I'd rather do it in the in the workout room, working on my body, trying to do some more ballistic stuff, speed stuff in there, yeah, to then hopefully help that translate to my game.
Speaker 2: At this point, have you are you trying to maintain or you feel a little pressure to gain some ball speed?
Speaker 1: I maintain right now, but I mean, yeah, it wouldn't hurt now. I mean, this past offseason was my first off season really in golfing twelve or thirteen years in college, so I feel like I used it wisely to gain some strength, gain a little speed, and during the season you're just trying to maintain. For me, I mean, the most I'm going to take off this year is probably two weeks at a time, so it's really hard to do a whole lot of that stuff in your off weeks.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about your driver hairs G four to thirty LST. For a long time you play the G four hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah, again, the sound I mean when they when Pin came out with the G four hundred that was probably my favorite driver I've ever played. The sound for us, the sound, the feel, the look, I mean, all of it are mixed in together. And even now, like hitting that G four thirty, I'll have people like turn their heads like, man, that sounds really good. Yeah, and it's hard to hard to replicate that. And I think for me personally, the G four thirty is a great answer to the G four hundred for for me of the sound, the feel, what I'm looking for in the flight, It's been amazing. I've tried the ten k a little bit, which is awesome. The missits are incredible. Yeah, definitely a little bit of getting used to swinging a little bigger head. You can feel it more in the swing. But man, I mean that G four thirty line is awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the LST with the composite on there gets the acoustics a little bit deeper, and that's that's what you're kind of one that was very important to right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I feel like a lot more of those heads sounded that way when I was younger, The G two, the G five like had that deeper sound to it, not the tingy yep, I don't know it for uh, I mean, it makes such a difference, and I don't know what it is, but when we practice so much, when we play so much, you get used to certain sounds, and I know, sound and feel correlate so much. They might not in the world you're in, but for us, sound and feel or correlated a lot.
Speaker 2: Actually, I think this is an experiment. Any the listener can do is put on and so many kids now practice with headphones on, and that you know, you could put noise canceling headphones on and hit a bunch of different putters and you can't tell the difference in the field. So it's almost you know, you could argue it's one hundred percent sound is the feel you get, especially off a putter.
Speaker 3: Is practicing with I think we've talked a little bit about this, but it's practicing with headphones a bad thing to do, in your opinion.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, I think, so you don't that I don't. If I'm doing like a human human Mian podcast, I'm kind of having it on very low volume if I'm chipping or something, so you can still get that, you know, get get that acoustic feedback, but you don't have you do a big the big one. No, I'm not doing that at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't really put the air pods in. I'll have like a speaker or my phone playing something. But like you, I don't like putting air pods in because you like chipping putting the feel aspect, like you don't get the same response, or I can't tell like an iron shot, like did I hit that perfect or I missed a little bit, Like it's hard to tell when you have air pods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of the big ingredients of your feedback.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you gotta have it. Did you watch the college football playoff this year?
Speaker 1: I did. I was a little sad the dog. Yeah, but it was who are you rooting.
Speaker 3: For in that situation? Is it just like everybody beat Bama kind of situation?
Speaker 1: Or I didn't want Bama to play. I didn't want them to back door another nice championship.
Speaker 3: Well look at this just a slight dig I like that. I like that.
Speaker 1: I wanted Washington and I thought that was a cool story. Good Michael Pennox was incredible. I know he didn't have a great championship game, but it was a cool story. Kind of an underdog they were. I played Oregon twice and they're still like a nine point underdog playing in the second time, and Vegas didn't think they were very good, and they made it and they kept beating everybody, and I kind of wanted them to win. But I mean, Michigan had a great team. I would have loved to see Georgia play Michigan at some point, but it is what it is. I'm glad they're going to the twelve team playoff, mainly for our scenario of losing one game in twenty nine gays out. So I mean, we've got a really tough schedule, so we'd be lucky to get through that season with one or two losses, so hopefully we can get in that twelve team playoff. I think it's just going to be make that even better and make it better on TV.
Speaker 3: Why does the US Open play into your hands so well because you've played so well over the last few years at the US Open in terms of major championship golf.
Speaker 1: I love that kind of golf. I love when greens get firm chest smash out there where bogie avoidance might be better than the birdies for me, and if you get out of position, it's like, okay, where do I now need to put the ball to give myself a four to six foot or for par. And I love that kind of golf and very strategic, kind of how I grew up. I mean, kind of small greens. You're not gonna hit more than twelve greens. You got to get up and down. I love it. I love when the winning score is anywhere less than probably ten or twelve under. I don't know what it is, but I've gravitated towards the US Open and love when it gets really hard. I feel like that's when you got to have a great mental space out there and really start grinding and put the mouthpiece in. And that's what I love about that kind of golf.
Speaker 3: So like when you're looking at the schedule and you see Pineers number two as the host of the US Open this season, you get excited obviously. I mean it's a tough golf course that can play extremely tough. Par is a very very good score on any whole out there. I mean, as you're kind of looking ahead at the schedule and you're looking ahead at the major season, I'm assuming when you see a place like Pinehurst than Oakmont and wing Foot, you know that's hosting that year. It probably gets you pumped up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know if I'm I'm playing decent, I've I've got controller of my golf. Well, I feel like I'm going to be in that tournament every single time because I'm not going to beat myself. I'm gonna use the practice rounds to really learn how to play that golf course and where to miss it to certain pins. And like I said, a chess match, and I love that kind of golf and I wish we played more of that on the PGA Tour. I know it's very weather depend it because for a lot of these guys out here, when when the greens get soft, it's a dark context.
Speaker 3: And is there a golf course on tour year to year that feels the closest to us open feels like it's probably Bay Hill, Say Bayhill when it gets baked, feels kind of us opening.
Speaker 1: A hill Tampa a little bit colonial. When it gets firm, I just like when the when the conditions are really firm, and and for me it helps out because I can spin it a lot. I can get to a lot of pins that other people can't get to. But yeah, I mean when the greens get firm, it makes it more penalizing if you hit the rough because you can't really hit the green and you've got to then I'll kind of run it up the front. Do I miss it on this this bunker to get it close to the pen So I enjoy that kind of golf.
Speaker 2: Haris, you talked about a lot about having a bunch of different grinds and wedges, you know in your collection. Now you're using S one fifty nine. You've used the H grind which is our half moon, and also kind of toggling a little bit with our tea grind. Tell us about do you switch grinds a little bit, depend on conditions, your technique and where are you at right now.
Speaker 1: I started with the Tea grind U in Hawaii, especially Sonny was a little firmer conditions, and the last couple of weeks I've switched to the H grind. Tory was soft. Double Beach was extremely soft. So that's what I've got to get better at, is kind of switching between two of the For me, the bun career if it's firm or soft, and that's when I'm working with the ping guys to travel with two wedges and to kind of go back and forth and have two wedges that I'm really comfortable with and just bring them in and out based on the conditions. So I'm learning a bit more like that and and kind of enjoying knowing more about the clubs and the different grinds and how that can help me hit different chips and bunker shots and get the ball to do what I want to do.
Speaker 2: So for you, a big priority on your sixty degree is bunker play.
Speaker 1: Yeah. For me, kind of the short sided bunker play, because if I'm going to be pretty aggressive getting into pins and I do missing a bunker, I want to be confident like, Okay, I can hit it in there and be fine. If it's not plugged, I got a good chance of getting up and down.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because the pins are so talk for three to four paces off the green, you're gonna have some really short sided bunker shots, so you got to bring it in high and soft and have enough spend to keep it around the hole. So Yeah, I'm really good at the basic bumping runs. That's why I like chipping on my fifty two, my pushing wege, That's why I use the yeah do great. Yeah, Because I do use those a lot if the if I've got enough green to work with to bump and run it back there, but you got to be able to hit that high soft shot with a lot of spin out here on tour and having the right grind and the right foot to help me do that.
Speaker 2: What is the best, uh short game shot? You think in your repertoire, where you could you could You're you're better than most.
Speaker 1: I here, I practice a lot of like downhill live bunker shots. For me, it's more of a training tool to where I stay stay in the shot, I don't back out of the shot. I practice a lot. I kind of do it in my warm up routine, so I feel like anytime I get that shot in competition, I'm you kind of excited, excited to hit it. So I would say I'm probably better than most hit long bunker shots and downhill bunker shots.
Speaker 3: Take us to the Ryder Cup. You go out with Tony f Now and you guys get Rory and Shane Lowry and this is your first experience of the Ryder Cup. What was the first let's say thirty minutes of that experience. It's like when you got to the first t you guys started to hit golf shots that gott the match because I mean I could imagine it was nerve wracking, exciting, intimidating, all those kind of things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was awesome to get paired with my boy Tony. He's the best, super fun, super even keeled, great energy. It was a very comfortable pairing for me. I just love playing with Tony. I love being around him, and it was awesome to draw Shane and Rory like, all right, we're getting through. We got a great deal. Let's let's get after it. Well, there's so much build up to it, and then finally when after you hit that first T shot, you're like, all right, we're we're playing golf again. It's it's go time. But that first T shot, I mean, for me, it's like if if I can get the ball on the tee the first time and then it doesn't fall off, doesn't fall off, your hands are shaking a little bit, and then that opening hole is just like hit driver as hard as you can, which is awesome. I probably wouldn't like hitting a four iron off that tea, but it was awesome. Hit great drives every day and we had some great matches. Tony played great putted great beat Rory and Shane. And the next day we got Shane and Tyrrollhattan, which is another great match, and they squeaked this out on the last soul. Shane made a fifteen footer on eighteen to win. That match went up. But it was an awesome experience and something I'll never forget.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's got to be a drug. It's like playing, like like continuing in US Open or getting in condition at a big event. I mean, played in a Ryder Cup. Probably the closest. You know, it's around the super Bowl right now we're recording this and it's probably the closest golfers can field to super Bowl week. You know, you get two weeks off. Obviously you're not playing golf till Friday, a lot of build up, a lot of hype around it. Not much else is going on in the golf world. But when you're in that world, you're in that space, and then you go home on Monday or Tuesday and you're thinking back to it. It's probably a mindset of I've got to get back to there. I've got to get back to that again. In a couple of years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, once you make one you never want to miss another team. I hated not being with them in Rome this year, but I got up early with our baby and watching on TV and a little bit of FOMO. But I loved watching them and it's such a cool experience. And to anybody that has never been to a Ryder Cup, you have to go. I mean the one at bet Page next year or two years is going to be incredible. There's just so much adrenaline and four matches on the golf course, like every shot means so much, and it's like playing sixteen at Scottsdale. Pretty much every hole you're adrenaline is through the roof. I mean, even going back to the team hotel, it's just hard to settle down. It's hard to go to sleep, hard to get your rest because you're on such a high adrenaline rush. It's it's amazing. I mean, it was one of the best experiences of my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's incredible. I've played on two PGA Cup teams. So when the PGA of America spun off the Ryder Cup, they started the PGA Cup which is for the club pro so we play against GBA, GB and I and that's been two of the funnest weeks. Obviously we don't have the big galleries, but it's been. It's been on Golf Channel and it's been super fun. I made the winning putt to beat gb I nine a huge comeback in twenty twenty one, and that was like the most fun I've ever had.
Speaker 3: It was just a team golf, more nervous than that, or more nervous like majors or when you played here.
Speaker 2: I was probably like sixteen. When I played sixteen at Phoenix. There's so much buzz in there that actually wasn't that nervous and hitting short and you're hitting a pitch away right, you're mashing a pitch awage or something like that.
Speaker 1: Or no, you're not trying to chip a little ninern in there, You're you're taking a club lesson.
Speaker 2: I have my whole team around, and so it's like they're all rely like you know, they're all relying on me to win this final hole. That was probably the most pressure I felt on the golf course.
Speaker 1: Actually, team team golf is different. I mean, it's it's way more pressure because for me, like I can deal with if deal with if I had a bad shot or short side myself but it's.
Speaker 3: Kind of on you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to deal with the concerts, and playing best ball with Tony is a little bit easier. And then alternate shot, so like I let Tony play his game, he lets me play my game. Yeah, we're trying to make as many birdy as we can, so it's a little bit easier. But yeah, team golf, I mean you don't you don't want to let your teammates sound.
Speaker 2: How did you and Tony pick which golf ball you're going to use?
Speaker 1: So we played best ball, so we we uh got Yeah, that's right. I got to play our un ball.
Speaker 2: How'd you do that? In the alternate shot?
Speaker 3: He's like rock paper scissors or something or who cares?
Speaker 1: Yeah, who cares less?
Speaker 3: Or I guess like if you're paring with Tiger or Phil is like we'll use you, I'll adjust. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The only time I've really done that is the Grant Thornton played with Matt Coocher for for years and I played.
Speaker 3: With you guys, have like a run there? Yeah we wanted like three times? Is that right?
Speaker 1: I think?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got second a couple of times. We've had a good run. That's an awesome event and uh. Playing with Selene Boudier this year was awesome getting to meet some of the LPGA players and and see their games. They're they're awesome and unbelievable wedge games, unbelievable putters. It was really cool to see that side.
Speaker 3: What's left on the goals of Harris English for your career? Do you have to a do you make goals? Beat? You write them down and see what is on the list if you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I make goals. I write them down some I need to be better about that. But I to compete in majors, I mean thirty four That's that's what we play for. I mean, that's why I'm on the PGA Tour is I want to play and as many major as I can and then have as many chances to win as possible, and and even big tournaments on the PGA Tour. I don't care what tournament is. I mean, if you're coming out on the stretch and contention, you're feeling the butterflies, you're feeling the nerves and you want to win because it's it's so hard to win on the PGA Tour. But yeah, I would would love to knock off a major two more I mean for me, it's like if I can get in contention half the tournaments I play in, that's that's a great year. Or that's a great week. If if if I'm within two or three shots to leave none holes to play, that's a successful week for me, because that's where I want to be. That's why and why I play the game, to get those nerves, to get that feeling, that adrenaline going, and to play on some Rider Cup teams, play on Presidence Cup teams because I got a taste of that, and like I said earlier, once you have that taste, you don't want to miss another one.
Speaker 3: Do you keep all the gear? Like do you keep all the shirts and stuff? Do you give them away?
Speaker 1: What do you most of it?
Speaker 3: It is and it's like boxes a gear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and like cleaning out all my stuff the last couple of months, it's like how much gear accumulates, and like we got that much stuff for the Ryder Cup and you don't want to give it away. I mean, because it means so much and I want my kids to be able to see it or wear it someday would be really cool. Yeah, being thirteen years, you accumulate so much and it's like what what do I need to take with me or what can I get rid of and not worry about?
Speaker 3: Well, Harrison, we really appreciate the time, great chat with you. I hope you have a great season. Excited to see you can tend and compete in the major championships and keep doing what you're doing. Bit a great chat. Thanks so much time.
Speaker 1: Thank you Marty Yep. I would love to shout at you someday that your work.
Speaker 2: Feel free anytime you want, come on.
Speaker 3: Over, come over there and build a couple of clubs. Get really diled and see what he's doing.
Speaker 1: I don't know a whole lot about it, but I love what goes into it and I think it's really cool.
Speaker 2: So I love thanks. Harris's been It's been fun working with you. And like I said, I was not joking when we think about designing some you know, always the deep faced fairwe would We talked about Harris on Blueprint irons. We talked about Harris. You know, we're working on Putter designs and trying what can we learn from the ho hum, we're.
Speaker 1: All Scott still? What did what did that face of the Scott still? Why is it so.
Speaker 2: Put yeah, I know we've put that insert in a lot of other putters, uh, for players and just trying to learn. And I think you're so tuned into the field right in marrying. Yes, it needs to perform this way, but also what we want to do from a field standpoint.
Speaker 3: So Rockstar Harris English. This is the Ping Proving Ground Podcast